2. Automotive
  3. Car Buying Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.20/5

Tred.com is a website dedicated to helping both buyers and sellers save money when buying or selling a car online. Tred cuts out the middleman by acting as a broker but without charging the usual high broker fees. Tred only accepts private dealers. The site helps with transactions and logistical issues like taxes and title transfers, and they also inspect cars to make sure they are fit for sale.

BOTTOM LINE

Tred offers the best of both worlds - the assurances of buying a vehicle from a dealership with the comfort and ease of buying from an individual.

PROS

• Personal sellers
  • Minimal broker fee
  • Help with paperwork and payment

CONS

• Limited selling areas

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

What is Tred?

Tred is an online car buying site that specializes in selling low-cost vehicles from private sellers. You can both buy and sell cars from Tred.

Types of sellersPrivate sellers
    Selling areasSeattle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, Houston
    Shipping availableYes
    Buy or sell a carYes
    Features for buyersExtended warranties, GAP insurance and buyer financing
    Features for sellersTred’s Monthly Vehicle Value Report, minimal broker fee
    Other featuresMobile app, vehicle inspections

How does Tred work?

Buying a car from Ted is simple because Tred does more than simply sell cars; it also helps with logistics and paperwork, including registration, title transfers and taxes. Tred bases its success on cutting out the middleman by acting as the broker, but without charging a typical broker’s fee. That helps both the buyer and the seller save money on the exchange. Tred also helps guide payment between the buyer and seller. Dealers cannot sell vehicles through Tred — only private sellers are accepted.

Tred cost

Tred’s business model means they are able to save the money traditional brick-and-mortar dealers have to spend on overhead. These savings are passed on to both buyers and sellers, making some vehicles on Tred cheaper than similar cars you’ll find at a local dealership. Still, with a wide range of vehicles at both low and high price points, it’s difficult to predict what you will pay for a vehicle from Tred. The best way to find out is to visit Tred’s website.

Buying a car on Tred

You can use several filters while looking for a car to narrow down your search. From the search results, you can look at pictures, cost, mileage and estimate the monthly payment. Tred ensures the legitimacy of both buyers and sellers by taking several important steps. Every vehicle undergoes an accident history and mechanical check to see if it is appropriate for sale. Buyers and sellers must download the Tred mobile app, snap a photo of their driver’s license and take a photo of themselves for identification purposes.

Tred also facilitates payment, a rare feature among online car buying sites. One downside of Tred is that it only allows for sellers in a few select areas: Seattle, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Antonio, Austin, Portland, San Francisco, Dallas and Houston. However, buyers can buy from anywhere in the United States and shipping is available.

Selling a car on Tred

You can sell your car through the Tred website where you can set the selling price and also receive help with loan repayments. They can provide extended warranties, GAP insurance and buyer financing. Tred’s Monthly Vehicle Value Report helps you keep track of your car’s worth and any subsequent fluctuations.

Tred performs an inspection for every vehicle. This added assurance goes a long way in demonstrating to potential buyers that the vehicle is in good condition and ready to sell. Tred claims that their business model, which doesn’t require payment to salespeople, means sellers can keep a larger portion of the money in the sale.

Is Tred worth it?

Tred is worth it if you are looking to buy from a private seller but also want the reassurances that traditionally come with buying through an established dealer. Tred provides peace of mind by dealing with typically tedious and stressful components of buying a car, like title transfers and tax work. For many Tred reviewers, this online car buying site is a welcome reprieve from the chore of buying or selling a car.

Tred Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tred?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tred?

Original review: July 14, 2020

Absolutely amazing! Easy process. Downloaded the TRED app and made the whole process a breeze from listing to selling my vehicle. Whenever I had a question whether on phone or messaging TRED service rep was always helpful and courteous! The whole process could not have been any easier or transparent. This made the notion of visiting a used car dealership seems obsolete and backwards, not to mention NO sleazy pushy salesperson tacking on hidden fees and services. With their screening, no craigslist scammers either! Would recommend TRED 1000%!

Original review: April 16, 2020

I had an excellent experience with TRED purchasing a used Tesla Model S. TRED customer support was very helpful, quick response, and made the entire process of purchasing a car with them very easy. They also followed up after the sale to ensure I was happy with their service. I like how they act as an escrow sort of company for your money so it is safer to ensure your transaction with the private seller is secure and legitimate. I highly recommend TRED and will use them again.

Get buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

Neither the seller nor I had ever used the app. It went very smoothly considering some minor hiccups. Using the app was easy. Once we agreed to the price, the transaction went very smooth. After immediately paying for the vehicle, the paperwork was/is a bit confusing because the instructions are about heading to a FedEx facility, where no one at the FedEx place had any idea what we were doing. But it isn’t rocket science, so with a few, do this and do that, and email forms here and print. The transaction was very fast. Fortunately the seller had the vehicle 99% ready to go, and I had brought a friend to drive the car we came to do the test drive in back. Don’t forget to get the Pre-Paid envelope from the seller!!! I didn’t know he was suppose to give it to me. And he may have forgotten. Other than that, no complaints. It was super easy and if I sell I car, I would gladly sell it on TRED.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

What an easy, seamless experience! I was worried about selling my car, and almost accepted the dealer's offer before deciding to give myself a week with the car posted on TRED and Craigslist. Every buyer on TRED was a serious buyer (versus many clear scam attempts from Craigslist) and the messaging platform made it easy to communicate with buyers, schedule test drives, and negotiate prices. I followed their advice on how to price my car and, within 6 days, sold it for 95% of asking price (and 50% more than the dealer had offered me)!

TRED was 100% worth the fee, simply for the peace of mind, guidance through the process (I had never sold a car before), and ease of receiving the money from the buyer. They were attentive when I called, and I'm so relieved I never had to go to the DMV -- one less thing to worry about in an already hectic time! One improvement recommendation -- would be good for sellers to understand more of what the buyers need to do in each step as well, like clicking to confirm that they received the keys. I ensured that the buyer did this before leaving the vehicle with him, but I don't think TRED indicated that this was something I should confirm is done.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

We had an absolutely fabulous experience with TRED. It was easy to post the car (TRED was the only website that gave me solid advice on pricing and the right photos), respond to people that were interested and process the sale. When I had a few questions along the way and called them service desk...they were so helpful and knowledgeable. It really was a pleasant experience with no BS and super fair. This service delivers 100% on what they promise...such a rare thing!!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

From the very beginning this company is a nightmare to work with. Communication is terrible. Ability to perform duties as promised is terrible as well. A well oiled machine it is not. They were unable to complete my state's paperwork, so they handed everything back to me and told me to do it and refunded the registration and sales tax they had charged me. But, in addition, they charged me a documentation fee of $200.00 but did absolutely nothing for this $200.00. So, I requested my $200.00 be refunded and they agreed but I have not seen the money even after multiple requests. They should be investigated for their business practices. I would urge anyone and everyone to go elsewhere to buy a car.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

Flawless first experience selling through Tred. I sold my 2013 Ford Escape for the asking price and more than double the car dealership trade-in value. Tred was super responsive for my questions and helped close the deal in under a week with my buyer. They're awesome and will disrupt the used car market for sure! Keep it up!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

I feel like I am dealing with robots and not humans. I have asked several times for an address change as original address was wrong on my temp registration and they just sent me the same thing with no changes. I have explained this to several people via, phone, email and text and I know that the email and text cannot be real people? They just send same answers over and over with no results.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

I signed up with TRED to sell my car on Monday, and it sold on Tuesday--yes, the very next day! I will definitely use this service again. I doubt that I will ever again trade in a vehicle to a dealership. There is no easier way to sell a car.

Gina R.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

This was my first time using TRED. Very professional and easy to work with. I do recommend users read and understand T&C, how it works and what to expect before signing up! I'll definitely use them again!

Tred Company Information