2. Automotive
  3. Car Buying Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.61/5

Tred.com is a website dedicated to helping both buyers and sellers save money when buying or selling a car online. Tred cuts out the middleman by acting as a broker but without charging the usual high broker fees. Tred only accepts private dealers. The site helps with transactions and logistical issues like taxes and title transfers, and they also inspect cars to make sure they are fit for sale.

BOTTOM LINE

Tred offers the best of both worlds - the assurances of buying a vehicle from a dealership with the comfort and ease of buying from an individual.

PROS

• Personal sellers
  • Minimal broker fee
  • Help with paperwork and payment

CONS

• Limited selling areas
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

What is Tred?

Tred is an online car buying site that specializes in selling low-cost vehicles from private sellers. You can both buy and sell cars from Tred.

Types of sellersPrivate sellers
    Selling areasSeattle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, Houston
    Shipping availableYes
    Buy or sell a carYes
    Features for buyersExtended warranties, GAP insurance and buyer financing
    Features for sellersTred’s Monthly Vehicle Value Report, minimal broker fee
    Other featuresMobile app, vehicle inspections

How does Tred work?

Buying a car from Ted is simple because Tred does more than simply sell cars; it also helps with logistics and paperwork, including registration, title transfers and taxes. Tred bases its success on cutting out the middleman by acting as the broker, but without charging a typical broker’s fee. That helps both the buyer and the seller save money on the exchange. Tred also helps guide payment between the buyer and seller. Dealers cannot sell vehicles through Tred — only private sellers are accepted.

Tred cost

Tred’s business model means they are able to save the money traditional brick-and-mortar dealers have to spend on overhead. These savings are passed on to both buyers and sellers, making some vehicles on Tred cheaper than similar cars you’ll find at a local dealership. Still, with a wide range of vehicles at both low and high price points, it’s difficult to predict what you will pay for a vehicle from Tred. The best way to find out is to visit Tred’s website.

Buying a car on Tred

You can use several filters while looking for a car to narrow down your search. From the search results, you can look at pictures, cost, mileage and estimate the monthly payment. Tred ensures the legitimacy of both buyers and sellers by taking several important steps. Every vehicle undergoes an accident history and mechanical check to see if it is appropriate for sale. Buyers and sellers must download the Tred mobile app, snap a photo of their driver’s license and take a photo of themselves for identification purposes.

Tred also facilitates payment, a rare feature among online car buying sites. One downside of Tred is that it only allows for sellers in a few select areas: Seattle, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Antonio, Austin, Portland, San Francisco, Dallas and Houston. However, buyers can buy from anywhere in the United States and shipping is available.

Selling a car on Tred

You can sell your car through the Tred website where you can set the selling price and also receive help with loan repayments. They can provide extended warranties, GAP insurance and buyer financing. Tred’s Monthly Vehicle Value Report helps you keep track of your car’s worth and any subsequent fluctuations.

Tred performs an inspection for every vehicle. This added assurance goes a long way in demonstrating to potential buyers that the vehicle is in good condition and ready to sell. Tred claims that their business model, which doesn’t require payment to salespeople, means sellers can keep a larger portion of the money in the sale.

Is Tred worth it?

Tred is worth it if you are looking to buy from a private seller but also want the reassurances that traditionally come with buying through an established dealer. Tred provides peace of mind by dealing with typically tedious and stressful components of buying a car, like title transfers and tax work. For many Tred reviewers, this online car buying site is a welcome reprieve from the chore of buying or selling a car.

Tred Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tred?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tred?

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

As you may know, the process of selling a car via private party can be cumbersome... You have to handle large sums of money, provide a title, complete registration transfer paperwork. Tred solves this problem. The peace of mind is worth the cost. I sold a car to an out of state buyer and am really happy with how this worked out. Price for the service is fair...Buyer was happy. Would recommend to a friend. Took out all the headache of selling a car myself. I wish ya'll the best of luck.

Original review: July 14, 2020

Absolutely amazing! Easy process. Downloaded the TRED app and made the whole process a breeze from listing to selling my vehicle. Whenever I had a question whether on phone or messaging TRED service rep was always helpful and courteous! The whole process could not have been any easier or transparent. This made the notion of visiting a used car dealership seems obsolete and backwards, not to mention NO sleazy pushy salesperson tacking on hidden fees and services. With their screening, no craigslist scammers either! Would recommend TRED 1000%!

Get buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2020

I had an excellent experience with TRED purchasing a used Tesla Model S. TRED customer support was very helpful, quick response, and made the entire process of purchasing a car with them very easy. They also followed up after the sale to ensure I was happy with their service. I like how they act as an escrow sort of company for your money so it is safer to ensure your transaction with the private seller is secure and legitimate. I highly recommend TRED and will use them again.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

Neither the seller nor I had ever used the app. It went very smoothly considering some minor hiccups. Using the app was easy. Once we agreed to the price, the transaction went very smooth. After immediately paying for the vehicle, the paperwork was/is a bit confusing because the instructions are about heading to a FedEx facility, where no one at the FedEx place had any idea what we were doing. But it isn’t rocket science, so with a few, do this and do that, and email forms here and print. The transaction was very fast. Fortunately the seller had the vehicle 99% ready to go, and I had brought a friend to drive the car we came to do the test drive in back. Don’t forget to get the Pre-Paid envelope from the seller!!! I didn’t know he was suppose to give it to me. And he may have forgotten. Other than that, no complaints. It was super easy and if I sell I car, I would gladly sell it on TRED.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

What an easy, seamless experience! I was worried about selling my car, and almost accepted the dealer's offer before deciding to give myself a week with the car posted on TRED and Craigslist. Every buyer on TRED was a serious buyer (versus many clear scam attempts from Craigslist) and the messaging platform made it easy to communicate with buyers, schedule test drives, and negotiate prices. I followed their advice on how to price my car and, within 6 days, sold it for 95% of asking price (and 50% more than the dealer had offered me)!

TRED was 100% worth the fee, simply for the peace of mind, guidance through the process (I had never sold a car before), and ease of receiving the money from the buyer. They were attentive when I called, and I'm so relieved I never had to go to the DMV -- one less thing to worry about in an already hectic time! One improvement recommendation -- would be good for sellers to understand more of what the buyers need to do in each step as well, like clicking to confirm that they received the keys. I ensured that the buyer did this before leaving the vehicle with him, but I don't think TRED indicated that this was something I should confirm is done.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Please don’t use this company. Buy directly from a buyer. Customer service is the worst.. I’ve been waiting for a title for the last 8 months - 8 months find out today, something was incorrect with the funds. I’ve spent $4,000 in repairs for a car they want to come and get.. It takes 3 days for any question to be answered. If they say someone will call you back - they won’t.. I thought I had been dealing with a head person - John. I found out today anyone can email you or text you - using John’s name.. PLEASE AVIOD THIS COMPANY, it’s not worth the headaches and delays.. Since June 19, 2020 I’ve been waiting on a title to come.. 7 months!!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

Good for sellers, awful for buyers. Took almost 5 months to get my title! I bought a used 2008 BMW 335i Convertible via Tred last July. Set up a test drive thru the app, seller and I negotiated a price, I wired the 10 grand to Tred and they notified the seller they received the money. I went over the next day, we filled out the paperwork, I drove away. Printed a temporary registration, FedExed the paperwork to Tred who said they would take care of the DMV work and smog. Then I waited. The website stated I should get my title in 45 days. I started getting almost daily text messages and regular emails that they had not received my paperwork even though I had delivery confirmation.

This went on for the next couple months. I got nervous as I sent them a chunk of money. I spoke to several different customer service reps, all friendly, that's why 2 stars instead of 1. While waiting and receiving many apologies and excuses, my temporary registration expired, they emailed me another. Month 4, they told me they needed a smog certificate. Hadn't they already taken care of it? Being a used car, I had to spend a few hundred bucks before it would pass smog. I went on vacation, worried that I would come home to an expired registration sticker and still no title. I was pleasantly surprised to find my title, registration sticker, and a $60 check reimbursing me for my smog certificate. Verdict: DON'T DO IT! Nerve wracking experience, company is disorganized, customer service is so overloaded with a backlog of work they have no idea what's going on.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

Thought I was doing a good thing selling my car with a loan on TRED. Huge mistake. Buyer was prepared to pay cash. They had over $300 unexpected fees and the buyer STILL DOES NOT HAVE TITLE months after my car loan was paid off and title cleared. Total scam!!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

Registered with Tred; uploaded photos; entered all auto info; entered bank info. Received message "Status: In Review. We're reviewing your Mazda and will notify you of our Instant Offer in the next 24 hours. Send us a message using the chat button below if you have any questions!" 2.5 months later this message still exists. Contacted CS via chat and was informed California location not within their marketing area. But whole sellers would be contacted and be able to see vehicle info. 4 weeks went by; *called CS and CS rep stated whole sellers were never contacted and would take care of asap. No contacts were received. Finally listed vehicle with Military Auto Service due to close proximity to Naval Air Station and sold my vehicle within a couple of weeks. **Very ppor customer service and/or follow through** WOULD NOT RECOMMEND.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

Definitely do not recommend! We lost over $1000 due to Tred not providing us with the correct paperwork in a timely manner- even though they kept insisting it was being sent. Even after the fact, I had hoped this company would do the right thing but they have not. Here are the details of our experience: We bought a car using Tred (money sent 7/14/2020, received the car 7/24/2020). Before starting the transaction, I called the company to make sure they could actually get the car titled in Nebraska because I did not know how that was possible as any new car needs to be inspected. I was told they were successful in doing this across all states and I still had to pay the registration and fees to get this done.

Throughout the months of August and early September, we called and emailed countless amount of times to find out when the car would be registered and we were constantly told, "it was being taken care of", but it never was. However, in mid Sept (I believe 9/9), we were finally contacted by Tred that they would not be able to register the car and that I would be receiving a check and the title in the mail. When nothing came, we contacted again- probably weekly as we needed the title to license the car and we only had 60 days to license the car with our previous car's registration. Over and over again, we were told it was in the mail. On one occasion we were told it was not sent because they could not 'cut a check' so I asked to just send the registration so we could at least get the car registered, but that never happened.

Finally, we received the information in the mail after the work day on Oct. 13, 2020. We registered the car right away but received a $9 late fee since it took over 2.5 months to receive it and the temporary in transit/license was expired. In addition, because we could not register within 60 days, we were not able to use the credit for our previous car that we sold, which was $1080 lost.

We were told there were issues with the person that is no longer working at this company, but I am now out $1089 due to the delays of the paperwork, misinformation that the paperwork was "in the mail" and the countless contacts by me to get this resolved. Even after the fact my emails are going unanswered even though we were told this was escalated. I really wanted to get this issue resolved and hoped Tred would do the right thing, but I cannot accept losing $1000+ due to their poor business practices and failure to do the right thing to make things right for this customer. Definitely would not recommend this service.

Tred Company Information