2. Automotive
  3. Car Buying Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.60/5

Tred.com is a website dedicated to helping both buyers and sellers save money when buying or selling a car online. The company cuts out the middleman by acting as a broker but without charging the usual high broker fees. Tred accepts private dealers only and helps with transactions and logistical issues like taxes and title transfers. It also inspect cars to make sure they’re fit for sale.

BOTTOM LINE

Tred is an online marketplace of person-to-person vehicle sales. It promises low fees, provides access to financing and helps with the logistical processes of buying and selling cars.

PROS
  • Personal sellers
  • Minimal broker fee
  • Help with paperwork and payment
CONS
  • Limited selling areas
  • App doesn’t have all features

Top Tred Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tred?

The process of selling a car via private party can be cumbersome. ... Tred solves this problem. ... I sold a car to an out of state buyer and am really happy with how this worked out. Price for the service is fair...Buyer was happy. ... Took out all the headache of selling a car myself.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

What is Tred?

Tred is an online car buying site that specializes in selling low-cost vehicles from private sellers. You can both buy and sell cars from Tred.

In some cases, Tred ships vehicles to the buyer. The company gives buyers access to extended warranties, gap insurance and financing and provides sellers with its Monthly Vehicle Value Report. Tred also promises to charge sellers a minimal broker fee.

The company offers a mobile app for both buyers and sellers and also provides vehicle inspections.

How does Tred work?

Buying a car from Tred is simple because the site does more than simply sell cars; it also helps with logistics and paperwork, including registration, title transfers and taxes. Tred bases its success on cutting out the middleman, acting as the broker without charging a typical broker’s fee. This helps both the buyer and the seller save money on the exchange.

Tred also helps guide payment between the buyer and seller. Dealers cannot sell vehicles through Tred — only private sellers are accepted.

Buying a car on Tred

When buying a car on Tred, you can use several filters to narrow down your search. From the search results, you can look at pictures, cost and mileage and estimate the monthly payment. Tred ensures the legitimacy of both buyers and sellers by taking several important steps:

• Each vehicle undergoes an accident history and mechanical check to see if it’s appropriate for sale.
    • Buyers and sellers must download the Tred mobile app, snap a photo of their driver’s license and take a photo of themselves for identification purposes.

Tred also facilitates payment, which is a rare feature among online car buying sites. One downside of Tred is that it only allows for sellers in a few select areas, including:

• Seattle
    • Tampa, Florida
    • Miami
    • Jacksonville, Florida
    • Orlando, Florida

However, buyers can buy from anywhere in the United States, and shipping is available.

Selling a car on Tred

You can sell your car through the Tred website; you set the selling price and can get help with loan repayments. Tred can provide extended warranties, gap insurance and buyer financing. Tred’s Monthly Vehicle Value Report helps you keep track of your car’s worth and any subsequent fluctuations.

Tred performs an inspection for every vehicle. This added assurance goes a long way in demonstrating to potential buyers that the vehicle is in good condition and ready to sell. Tred claims that its business model, which doesn’t require payment to salespeople, means sellers can keep a larger portion of the money in the sale.

Tred fees

Tred has fees for both buying and selling vehicles through the website. Seller fees include:

• Upfront publishing fee: This is a monthly fee that covers the cost of registration and lien checks, as well as identity verification of potential buyers. The fee is $9 monthly for listings under $10,000 and $19 monthly for cars higher in price.
    • Selling fee: This fee is paid at the time of sale. It will either be $99 or 0.99% of your selling price — whichever is greater.
    • Listing upgrades: Sellers are able to upgrade from a basic to a premium listing. This lets sellers add 30 more photos and provides a $20 car wash coupon. The cost to upgrade your listing is $19.
    • Restocking fee: If you choose to deactivate your listing despite connecting with a potential buyer, there is a restocking fee of $99. This helps to cover the costs of marketing your vehicle and is not paid until deactivation.

Buyers are only subject to one Tred fee: a documentation fee. The cost of this fee varies by state. It helps Tred cover the cost of insuring your transaction, title and registration, temporary permits and more. This means buyers don’t pay high fees to buy through Tred.

Tred financing

With the company’s financing plans, Tred promises market-leading rates, with interest rates as low as 3.34%. There’s also an option for every credit score.

Vehicle listings include estimated monthly payments. These estimates are based on a 72-month term and $0 down. To get a better idea of your interest rates, terms and down payment amounts, request an estimate.

Tred FAQ

Does Tred ship its vehicles?
    Tred does work with partners to offer shipping if needed. This service comes at an additional fee.
    How does Tred make money?
    Tred makes money through fees paid by both sellers and buyers. These fees include:
    • Publishing fees
    • Listing upgrades
    • Selling fees
    • Restocking fees
    • Documentation fees
    How does Tred market your car?
    Tred markets your car by listing it on more than 20 high-profile websites, including:
    • Allstate
    • CarsForSale
    • Kelley Blue Book
    • Facebook Marketplace
    • AutoTrader
    Do I qualify to sell a car on Tred?
    Tred has a number of eligibility requirements and rules for selling a car in its terms of use. Some of these rules include:
    • You must complete a vehicle safety assessment.
    • The vehicle in question must have a clean title.
    • If your vehicle requires inspection, you must take it to a certified mechanic promptly.
    Does Tred have an app?
    Tred does have an app. The Tred app is available for both Android and iPhone devices.

Is Tred legit?

If you’re looking to buy or sell a car, Tred is a legitimate option to consider. The company promises sellers will make 30% more than they would with a broker. Buyers, on the other hand, will pay 30% less than dealer prices for their purchase. It also promises much lower fees for sellers.

Tred takes the stress out of selling a vehicle by handling all the small, mundane tasks such as DMV visits, paperwork, marketing, buyer vetting and other organizational needs throughout the selling process. All sellers have to do is list their vehicle and coordinate test drives.

Tred Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tred?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I have sold multiple cars to private parties in past 15 years, this is the best and easiest of all. Car selling/buying always has that ill feeling of getting scammed or low balled, etc.. Had the best experience from start to end, no complaints. Here are the reasons I would recommend TRED to others:

# Ace of marketing your vehicle: Pay small premium and TRED takes care of posting the ad to multiple sites and also guides the way down to pricing till getting the best value.
    # Easy Steps: Easy to understand steps and next steps on every single steps.
    # Secured: TRED verifies the authenticity which reduces the risk of getting scammed. Note Reduces the risk but don't eliminate so buyer/sellers use caution as usual.
    # Information on your finder tip: Great app which has realtime status updates and customer servers.

# Less everything: Less documents, Less stress, Less Government process, etc.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

As you may know, the process of selling a car via private party can be cumbersome... You have to handle large sums of money, provide a title, complete registration transfer paperwork. Tred solves this problem. The peace of mind is worth the cost. I sold a car to an out of state buyer and am really happy with how this worked out. Price for the service is fair...Buyer was happy. Would recommend to a friend. Took out all the headache of selling a car myself. I wish ya'll the best of luck.

Get buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 21, 2020

I have now sold two vehicles through TRED.com and been able to get top dollar for them. The website is extremely easy to use, features you in several different advertisements and even provides the carfax report. Once your vehicle sells they handle all of the lien and DMV paperwork for you! The service fee is extremely reasonable. I will definitely use them again. Thank you TRED!

Original review: July 14, 2020

Absolutely amazing! Easy process. Downloaded the TRED app and made the whole process a breeze from listing to selling my vehicle. Whenever I had a question whether on phone or messaging TRED service rep was always helpful and courteous! The whole process could not have been any easier or transparent. This made the notion of visiting a used car dealership seems obsolete and backwards, not to mention NO sleazy pushy salesperson tacking on hidden fees and services. With their screening, no craigslist scammers either! Would recommend TRED 1000%!

Original review: July 14, 2020

Whenever I had a question or needed additional information, either on the web chat or on the phone, TRED associates would be prompt, knowledgeable and courteous in their response. The entire process of selling my vehicle was incredible, easy, professional... even in the midst of the pandemic. I really appreciated the detail to safety, protection of confidential information, and seamless transactions. I did practically nothing, and my car sold for top dollar! Couldn't be happier.

Original review: March 19, 2021

I listed my van on TRED. They posted it on Auto Trader, KBB, etc... The post instructed potential buyers to call a number that was not in service. A TRED representative told me that the number was added by Auto Trader, but after checking other listings for my van, I found the number there too. I also tried to message myself through Auto Trader and KBB and found that interested parties were only given an automated email from TRED telling them to reach out on TRED. I quickly lost trust in their service and removed my listing. Upon deleting my listing on TRED, perspective buyers were then sent an email saying my van had been sold and to check out other vehicles on their site. I have requested a refund from TRED, but have yet to hear back.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

I was charged $99.00. Didn't sell my car on Tred and didn't even completed my account. They are asking for your driver license and all other stuff. I cancelled my account like the chat person told me over the chat. You can't call them. They don't have a phone support. Complete scam.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

Do not deal with this company unless you don't mind being jerked around! I simply cannot understand how in the hell this company gets 5 stars from people! The 5 stars have got to be from sellers who have just received their money! This company does not deliver on their services in a timely manner. On 11-3-2020, I bought my car and still have not received the title, registration nor license plates as of 2-12-2021. I have to request a FOURTH TEMPORARY LICENSE PLATE FROM THEM! Pathetic!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

This is the biggest scam of a business. You have to pay 19 to list the car, and if your car does not sell and you remove it it will cost you another 99. They do not generate any extra exposure or increase your chances of selling. They simply send you weekly emails to lower your listing price. Your best bet is Facebook Marketplace. Beware your minimum payment to them is $118, no matter the outcome.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Please don’t use this company. Buy directly from a buyer. Customer service is the worst.. I’ve been waiting for a title for the last 8 months - 8 months find out today, something was incorrect with the funds. I’ve spent $4,000 in repairs for a car they want to come and get.. It takes 3 days for any question to be answered. If they say someone will call you back - they won’t.. I thought I had been dealing with a head person - John. I found out today anyone can email you or text you - using John’s name.. PLEASE AVIOD THIS COMPANY, it’s not worth the headaches and delays.. Since June 19, 2020 I’ve been waiting on a title to come.. 7 months!!

Tred Company Information