2. Automotive
  3. Car Buying Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.40/5

Tred.com is a website dedicated to helping both buyers and sellers save money when buying or selling a car online. Tred cuts out the middleman by acting as a broker but without charging the usual high broker fees. Tred only accepts private dealers. The site helps with transactions and logistical issues like taxes and title transfers, and they also inspect cars to make sure they are fit for sale.

BOTTOM LINE

Tred offers the best of both worlds - the assurances of buying a vehicle from a dealership with the comfort and ease of buying from an individual.

PROS

• Personal sellers
  • Minimal broker fee
  • Help with paperwork and payment

CONS

• Limited selling areas

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

What is Tred?

Tred is an online car buying site that specializes in selling low-cost vehicles from private sellers. You can both buy and sell cars from Tred.

Types of sellersPrivate sellers
    Selling areasSeattle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, Houston
    Shipping availableYes
    Buy or sell a carYes
    Features for buyersExtended warranties, GAP insurance and buyer financing
    Features for sellersTred’s Monthly Vehicle Value Report, minimal broker fee
    Other featuresMobile app, vehicle inspections

How does Tred work?

Buying a car from Ted is simple because Tred does more than simply sell cars; it also helps with logistics and paperwork, including registration, title transfers and taxes. Tred bases its success on cutting out the middleman by acting as the broker, but without charging a typical broker’s fee. That helps both the buyer and the seller save money on the exchange. Tred also helps guide payment between the buyer and seller. Dealers cannot sell vehicles through Tred — only private sellers are accepted.

Tred cost

Tred’s business model means they are able to save the money traditional brick-and-mortar dealers have to spend on overhead. These savings are passed on to both buyers and sellers, making some vehicles on Tred cheaper than similar cars you’ll find at a local dealership. Still, with a wide range of vehicles at both low and high price points, it’s difficult to predict what you will pay for a vehicle from Tred. The best way to find out is to visit Tred’s website.

Buying a car on Tred

You can use several filters while looking for a car to narrow down your search. From the search results, you can look at pictures, cost, mileage and estimate the monthly payment. Tred ensures the legitimacy of both buyers and sellers by taking several important steps. Every vehicle undergoes an accident history and mechanical check to see if it is appropriate for sale. Buyers and sellers must download the Tred mobile app, snap a photo of their driver’s license and take a photo of themselves for identification purposes.

Tred also facilitates payment, a rare feature among online car buying sites. One downside of Tred is that it only allows for sellers in a few select areas: Seattle, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Antonio, Austin, Portland, San Francisco, Dallas and Houston. However, buyers can buy from anywhere in the United States and shipping is available.

Selling a car on Tred

You can sell your car through the Tred website where you can set the selling price and also receive help with loan repayments. They can provide extended warranties, GAP insurance and buyer financing. Tred’s Monthly Vehicle Value Report helps you keep track of your car’s worth and any subsequent fluctuations.

Tred performs an inspection for every vehicle. This added assurance goes a long way in demonstrating to potential buyers that the vehicle is in good condition and ready to sell. Tred claims that their business model, which doesn’t require payment to salespeople, means sellers can keep a larger portion of the money in the sale.

Is Tred worth it?

Tred is worth it if you are looking to buy from a private seller but also want the reassurances that traditionally come with buying through an established dealer. Tred provides peace of mind by dealing with typically tedious and stressful components of buying a car, like title transfers and tax work. For many Tred reviewers, this online car buying site is a welcome reprieve from the chore of buying or selling a car.

Tred Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tred?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tred?

Original review: April 17, 2020

Every car should be bought this way! I don't normally do this sort of thing, but I was so impressed with how effortless the transaction was that I have to share my experience buying a car through TRED. Just not having to wait at a dealership and sit in a DMV all day is reason enough to use TRED. I would like to thank their entire team for all their hard work and excellent service. I will definitely be using them again!

Original review: April 16, 2020

I had an excellent experience with TRED purchasing a used Tesla Model S. TRED customer support was very helpful, quick response, and made the entire process of purchasing a car with them very easy. They also followed up after the sale to ensure I was happy with their service. I like how they act as an escrow sort of company for your money so it is safer to ensure your transaction with the private seller is secure and legitimate. I highly recommend TRED and will use them again.

Get buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

Neither the seller nor I had ever used the app. It went very smoothly considering some minor hiccups. Using the app was easy. Once we agreed to the price, the transaction went very smooth. After immediately paying for the vehicle, the paperwork was/is a bit confusing because the instructions are about heading to a FedEx facility, where no one at the FedEx place had any idea what we were doing. But it isn’t rocket science, so with a few, do this and do that, and email forms here and print. The transaction was very fast. Fortunately the seller had the vehicle 99% ready to go, and I had brought a friend to drive the car we came to do the test drive in back. Don’t forget to get the Pre-Paid envelope from the seller!!! I didn’t know he was suppose to give it to me. And he may have forgotten. Other than that, no complaints. It was super easy and if I sell I car, I would gladly sell it on TRED.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

What an easy, seamless experience! I was worried about selling my car, and almost accepted the dealer's offer before deciding to give myself a week with the car posted on TRED and Craigslist. Every buyer on TRED was a serious buyer (versus many clear scam attempts from Craigslist) and the messaging platform made it easy to communicate with buyers, schedule test drives, and negotiate prices. I followed their advice on how to price my car and, within 6 days, sold it for 95% of asking price (and 50% more than the dealer had offered me)!

TRED was 100% worth the fee, simply for the peace of mind, guidance through the process (I had never sold a car before), and ease of receiving the money from the buyer. They were attentive when I called, and I'm so relieved I never had to go to the DMV -- one less thing to worry about in an already hectic time! One improvement recommendation -- would be good for sellers to understand more of what the buyers need to do in each step as well, like clicking to confirm that they received the keys. I ensured that the buyer did this before leaving the vehicle with him, but I don't think TRED indicated that this was something I should confirm is done.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

We had an absolutely fabulous experience with TRED. It was easy to post the car (TRED was the only website that gave me solid advice on pricing and the right photos), respond to people that were interested and process the sale. When I had a few questions along the way and called them service desk...they were so helpful and knowledgeable. It really was a pleasant experience with no BS and super fair. This service delivers 100% on what they promise...such a rare thing!!

Original review: June 5, 2020

Attempted to use their services to sell my vehicle. Paid the initial $19.00. Their listings generated very little interest. Their portal never gave me a trade in amount for the vehicle as they had advertised. If you decide to use their services, beware that once the first person “reaches out” to you, you will be charged $99.00 if you cancel their services. One person contacted me for a test drive and cancelled a few hours later. That one and only contact caused them to charge me $99.00 once I cancelled their services. Their listings did not generate much interest in my vehicle.

Original review: May 17, 2020

I thought the service was excellent value. You removed a lot of headache and made it really smooth for me. I also liked the price setting piece. I felt like it was hard to find another service that would be willing to say my price was "fair" - and you let me post it at the price I wanted.

Original review: May 12, 2020

Smoothest transaction ever. Made the car buying and paperwork so easy. Never bought a car with that ease of mind. From scheduling to check the car, from financing the car it was all in one go and I don't have to worry about anything. They also provide with Carfax report so you can buy with ease.

Original review: May 8, 2020

Great experience the whole way through. Staff was very responsive on the chat feature. Only snag was that the car sold quicker than the TRED packet could arrive in the mail but they are working with me on that.

Original review: May 8, 2020

TRED made buying a car easy and stress free!! Chris walked me through everything!! Customer service was outstanding!!! He made me feel that I could really trust all that they do! I encourage everyone to use this service!!! Thank you so much!!!

Tred Company Information