3.7/5 (233 ratings)

About CarGurus

CarGurus Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarGurus?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2023

I contacted five different car dealerships inquiring about vehicles. Every single vehicle I was looking at was advertised on CarGurus for thousands below the actual asking price at the dealership. It was a giant waste of my time. Whether it is the dealership or CarGurus, the price should be advertised accurately.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2023

Worst experience ever!!!! They do not advertise for you. It is a waste of money. Please don't ever use them. They don't give real leads. They are just there to take your money. Your opinion don't matter. They will hang up on your face.

Get buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2023

I found a vehicle online that I was not very familiar with. The vehicle advertisement had the CarGurus logo on it with the words "Great Deal". Figuring CarGurus was a trustworthy organization that researches vehicles and uses that research and their experience to help consumers the vehicle appeared to be a "Great Deal". The vehicle was being sold for $39,000 and stated the value was $40,000.

However, doing a little research by using some of the links on the ad itself (CARFAX and Car Value) I did a little research of my own. It turned out the vehicle was in an accident with according to Carfax it had "moderate" damage. Using the ad supplied VIN and the Carfax information I then attempted to find the vehicle price. According to Edmunds, this vehicle was between $15,000 and $16,000. That doesn't seem to be a very "Great Deal". Added to that the moderate accident damage and I'm struggling to understand CarGurus' process and criteria for representing this deal to the public as a "Great Deal".

Original review: Feb. 3, 2023

I have a 2008 Pilot EXL W/ NAVIGATION ONLY 172689 MILES for 5400. How is a 2007 EXL. NO NAVIGATION with 196000 miles selling for over 6400 and is a better deal According to Car Gurus? They are listed on the both on CarGurus. Mine is privately owned. The other is at a independent dealer. These CarGurus ratings are given to who pays CarGurus the most money. The rating of great, good and fair are paid ratings. Good luck.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

I signed up with CarGurus three months ago, they wanted over $600.00 per month to advertise 15 cars. Once my vehicles where uploaded. I went to the web site to search for one of our own vehicles. Once I clicked onto our vehicle, I started receiving advertisements from other dealerships selling the same vehicle all day for weeks. So we are paying over $600 per month to help bigger dealerships sell their vehicles!!! If my account executive explained this to me we would not have signed up. We never sold one vehicle on this platform and we are asking for a full refund.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

I submitted an inquiry concerning a car to a auto dealership in Georgia. The dealership advertised the car for the following price, $85,811.00. I received a call from the dealership almost immediately. I told them I would buy the car at the stated price. They informed me the car's price was actually $10,000 more than advertised price on CarGurus. I wrote a “bait and switch” review with inaccurate pricing details. Buyer beware. I was asked by CarGurus to edit my truthful and accurate review. CarGurus has no loyalty to customer, only their shareholder dealerships. They therefore have no credibility with the content of their reviews. Reviewer beware!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2023

We purchased a Private Seller listing on CarGurus for our 1 Owner Like New Vehicle. CarGurus tried to dictate our price to list, so when we listed our Fair Price they attached a unauthorized Overpriced notation that discourages any potential Buyers to contact us. CarGurus is not a place to Pay for a Private Seller listing!! Wish we would have investigated similar reviews prior paying for listing.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2022

DO NOT TRUST, SCAM ARTISTS. REFUSED OUR INFORMATION TO THIS COMPANY AND STILL THEY REQUESTED AND LISTED.! They put down to admin errors. But proof they are requesting information even before asking companies and then being told no, carry on to list the vehicles in order to charge companies for something they have not authorised nor accepted. DO NOT TRUST.!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I am in the price of purchasing a much sought after pickup. Found the perfect truck on CG from private seller. Everything is good so far. Pictures, VIN, mileage, history; all provided. The issue is the actual buying process. It is not geared towards virtual no contact buying/selling. The chat with my seller disappeared. The vehicle info and pictures-gone. My money? Gone as well with no vehicle. No bill of sale or receipt and T2 support is a joke! Look but do NOT buy thru CarGurus unless you are able to complete everything in person.

Original review: July 20, 2022

I sold my 2012 Acura TL to CarGurus. They offered more than CarMax or Carvana, and picked my car up at my house as scheduled. The inspector/driver was very good at his job. He was done in about 20 minutes with the paperwork and inspection. I signed the bill of sale on my phone and less than 24 hours later the cash was in my bank account. Very smooth and professional at every step. I am very pleased with the whole process. I received about 1,800 more than what Tesla was offering for my Acura on trade-in.

CarGurus Company Information