2. Automotive
  3. Car Buying Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.57/5

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

CarGurus Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarGurus?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarGurus?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2020

The site itself is well designed and easy to navigate, the problem I have is the pricing guide off to the side, telling the potential purchaser that it’s a great, good, fair or poor deal Price wise. This lulls the potential buyer into a false sense of the car's price so they won’t go to KBB or nada to accurately price the car, furthermore the price guide is wildly inaccurate being off by 2-3k or more. Car Gurus please fix this feature.

Original review: June 22, 2020

I have bought 3 cars and sold 2 cars here. I most recently used their autopay system (when I sold my car) where CarGurus handled everything concerning the buying process. No concerns about fake cashier's checks or scams - they take care of checking the title, acting as the go-between with the money, paying off the lien (if there is one), and providing $75,000 worth of coverage (should anything go wrong). It went seamlessly and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. And all of that is included in the $29.95 price to sell your car. That also includes a FedEx prepaid label (if needed, and my buyer was out-of-state) to send the title and bill of sale to the buyer. I've bought 2 cars from dealers using CarGurus, one was 400 miles away and the other was 60 miles away. Cars listed on here get great visibility too. I had a hard-to-find car (the one I just sold), and had 3 serious inquiries within an hour of my listing, and one of them ended up being the buyer.

Get buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 15, 2020

I've used this site for approximately 5 yrs. now, continually "just seeing what is out there". They break down the options more than any other site, including doing an evaluation as to "DEAL RATINGS... Great Deal, Good Deal, Overpriced, etc." They have more search options than most sites so you could limit your search down to color of the vehicle. Some of the ads even show the seller info so you can contact seller direct with-out using their site and not knowing for sure the seller was contacted (which HAS happened on other sites). Want financing? Some ads even show it might be available. I still use other sites, but this one is FIRST!

Original review: June 11, 2020

This is an excellent online company. They give links to contact listing person or company. An excellent coverage of what each car has and the ability to ask for more if needed. The photos for each car, if available, are excellent. They also let the potential buyer ask for more. The seller can contact you, if requested, by phone, text or email. They use symbols as well as text to let the buyer know what that particular vehicle has to offer. I have been contacted by a seller more than one time when requested.

Original review: June 10, 2020

This site was instrumental in helping us find a suitable car for our new driver. He was specific in what he wanted and the ability to "drill down" on types of vehicles was especially helpful. The added benefit of the price rating of the vehicles let us know if we would be potentially getting a good deal. Obviously, there are many facets of a "good" car deal, one being the quality of the car itself, but knowing immediately that the pricing is fair is a great start!

Original review: April 6, 2021

I tried to list my car. I paid the fees needed by them but I did not pay the premium as I did not want to. I got a link. However when I search for my listing as a general person by giving the zipcode and limiting the miles from zip code, I did not see my listing. I looked at least 300+ miles from my place and still did not see my listing. I tried to call the helpdesk and I got a VM saying they are not able to take my call. I left a message and did not hear anything. I think their aim to make sure we go for premium listing. I felt always the dealer's vehicles were given more importance. I dont think I will go with Cargurus again. A big thank you to Cargurus for learning my lesson.

Original review: March 31, 2021

I kept getting my information forwarded to car dealers when they did not have the car I was interested in. Then I was told just to come down and get another car. Then when I posted my bad review I keep getting a message that said there was something wrong with my review! The site will not accept it when I unsubscribe. Very bad.

Original review: March 28, 2021

I looked up many car on Cargurus and found many I liked as they have a wide variety of cars. I found one and spoke with the dealership put a down payment and they brought the car to me. Everything was taken care of for me. It was easy convenient and I would definitely buy another car through Cargurus. I highly recommend this dealership.

Original review: March 18, 2021

Put up false information for the vehicles in order to sell them. Look at the Carfax and do your homework before purchasing from here or go somewhere else. CarGurus obviously do not like negative reviews and wants more added when I’ve seen reviews submitted with less.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

They allow fraudulent dealers to advertise on their site. I purchased a car on 1/16 from a dealer advertising on CarGurus. I have all the proof of purchase with the VIN, purchase price, etc. They told me the title was coming on the the 18th. I purchased it from a company named Auto Network Motor Group. I have since checked and the group is a registered car dealership in VA. The title did not come, and after a few weeks of back and forth, still no title and now, on 2/17/21, they are not answering my phone calls or emails.

Auto Network Motor Group has many cars on CarGurus for sale today, 2/17. When I alerted CarGurus that they have a fraudulent dealer on their site they replied they do not follow up on dealers and that unfortunately some dealers are are less reliable than others. CarGurus also says on its site that they have "reviews you can trust". Now, with some research, I realize the reviews are not trustworthy because it is extremely difficult to review a dealer on the site. Though I bought a car at Auto Network Group, I cannot review them because I did not contact them using the email contact from CarGurus, I called on the phone. It is so sad that a company would advertise as a way to "buy with confidence", and when things go wrong, tell those of us who use it, in effect, "so sad, too bad."

CarGurus Company Information