2. Automotive
  3. Car Buying Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.19/5

CarGurus Reviews

Original review: June 8, 2019

I used quite a few car sites in my search for the right. By far CarGurus is the best and easiest to use out there. You could chose specific features that narrowed your search down. It shows you if you are getting a good deal and helps you with research. I like the value feature that showed you what the car was worth. I like the whole site. It and the app are extremely easy to use and it's all updated constantly.

Original review: June 6, 2019

Cargurus.com was so much easier to use than I had expected. I thought there would be a lot of hoops to jump through, and I expected to be hassled by people looking to buy my current vehicle; but there really weren't. I very much wish you could choose a manufacturer and see all models (Jeep, Volkswagen, Mazda, etc....) available in the area, as opposed to having to choose a specific one. Other than that, I really like a lot that you can search for the specific car you are looking for and choose the distance of the seller from your location, and I like the amount of detail provided for each vehicle listed.

Get buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 5, 2019

My experience was great when looking at vehicles on CarGurus. At first all the options seemed overwhelming but I soon realized that it very much helped me to find what I needed. They were user-friendly. The data stayed current as long as I was looking at the site. All of the vehicles had great pictures and details. The main features of this website that I liked was the ease with which I could move around on the site. Found that the data on the vehicles were more thorough than the other sites. They seemed to have covered everything that a customer needs to know. But sometimes the site would time out or something similar and I would have to key everything back in again.

Original review: June 4, 2019

My overall experience was good, the personnel showed me quite a few of potential cars that fits my needs and we could get all the information we needed as well. The feature I like about the car site was easy to use. I just need to put the model I want into search and it showed what I was looking for in a quick minutes. But it is a little bit too crowded and the website traffic is horrible so I think they should improve that.

Original review: May 30, 2019

Visiting this site helped my vehicle search greatly. I was able to pinpoint an exact location to purchase the vehicle and see if the price was reasonable. I liked being able to see multiple photos of every vehicle. It also have a full description of the vehicle. You can see how many previous owners had that car before you and if the vehicle was in any accidents. It had everything I was looking for on one site. I went on a few different sites but this one had more options than any of the other sites. Plus they updated their vehicles constantly so I knew if I was looking at a certain car it was still available to purchase.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarGurus?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I already knew what make/model I wanted, then searched the CarGurus site to see available vehicles within a certain radius. I picked 3, and (on the CarGurus site) compared mileage, car fax, and other pertinent info. This process made me an informed and prepared consumer! Then, I made an appointment with the dealership where my #1 choice was located. The vehicle was exactly as described by CarGurus and I purchased/took home the vehicle the same day!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

Six or seven years ago I used CarGurus to find a specific privately owned car I was looking for. I found it and bought it. The site was great to use. But, not anymore. Now, even though I entered my search area the search comes back with listings outside of my parameters for model years and purchase area. Most of the listings are dealer sponsored listings with bogus pricing to lure you into talk with them. Last time for me to use CarGurus.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

Found a 2012 Mercedes Sprinter and had it delivered from Luxury Motors in Buford Georgia. Vehicle was in deplorable shape and now the dealer is withholding the title, so over 2 months later I can't even drive the truck! Dealer never even paid off the lien. Contacted CarGurus and a few days later got an email back that it's not their problem, we're just an auto listing site. Wrote a review that was honest about what happened and they refused to publish it in its form. Apparently they like to help crooked dealers commit fraud.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

Overall I like the concept of CarGurus. I do use it to do nationwide searches on vehicles. The problem with CarGurus is they allow the dealers to advertise false prices to try to get you in the door. In most industries this practice is illegal but in the car business it is the norm. CarGurus has the choice to really separate itself from other sites like auto AutoTrader by forcing dealers to list the true out the door price but they seem to not care.

Here is an example of the problem: Let's say you live in an area with multiple dealers in multiple states that are within 100 miles of you. You know what car, options, etc you want so you start a search. The results show the supposed price and you start making some inquiries or phone calls. What you quickly find out is that the price doesn't include a dealer doc fee or a dealer prep fee. There are some honest dealers out there that do not charge either of these bogus fees, but a majority do. Unfortunately they are not disclosed until the fine print at closing when you notice the purchase price is not the agreed upon price.

The highest fee I have been quoted when I have asked about any extra fees involved is $1,400. The most deceptive part is I will phrase a question to the dealer as follows: "If we agree on a price, are there any other fees involved with the transaction." They usually respond with something like tax, title, and licensing which are standard legit expenses. I then respond, "With other than government required fees is there anything else?" The answer is usually no. I then say, "Do you have a document or vehicle prep fee?" Now the backstepping starts and they then admit that there will be an additional cost at closing for prep and doc fees. Again, CarGurus chooses to allow the dealers to continue this deceptive practice. They could stop it overnight if they chose to. They could even make an advertising campaign out of it that consumers can have guaranteed pricing, but they don't. Really a shame.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

There are so many dealer cars without listed prices on the site. Now it is getting impossible to use the site. There is no way to get rid of cars without pricing. Obviously CarGurus has caved to dealer pressure to get ads on the site to increase margins. Exhausting.

CarGurus Company Information