3.4(179)
By:
Author picture
Edited by:

About CarGurus

CarGurus is an online vehicle marketplace for new, used and certified vehicles. It also provides buying services with instant offers. You can read test drive reviews, compare pricing and find deals based on dealership or private seller location. Additionally, CarGurus arranges for vehicles to be delivered straight to your doorstep. CarGurus offers financing options through partner lenders and is available nationwide.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Nationwide
  • Financing available
  • Extensive vehicle selection
Cons
  • No warranty
  • Changing inventory
  • Dependent on seller integrity

Featured Reviews

Verified
Lombard, IL

Verified
Hillsboro, OR

Cargurus is good, but the dealers on cargurus do not call back or respond to car request. Very frustrating. M and A Auto in Washington. Cargurus needs someone to make sure dealers...

Our editor’s take

CarGurus is a good online platform for buying and selling vehicles. The company makes it easy to search for vehicles within your price range, with filtering options for color, body style, fuel type and more. If you want to avoid the hassle of in-person car buying, CarGurus may be a good fit for you.

However, reviews on our site show issues with communication between the company and its partners in regard to vehicle prices. So, if you choose CarGurus to purchase a vehicle, make sure to read the fine print.

CarGurus service area

CarGurus operates an online platform that provides services to users internationally. The company shares vehicle listings from dealerships and private sellers across the globe, so vehicle searches are based on your location.

CarGurus inventory

CarGurus offers an online car buying and selling experience. It provides listings from car dealerships and private sellers across the United States. Additionally, CarGurus will assist in selling your car by providing an offer sourced from its partner dealers. Inventory changes often and includes:

• New cars
  • Used cars
  • Certified preowned cars

In addition, CarGurus offers financing and a 100% online buying experience.

CarGurus warranty

CarGurus doesn’t offer warranties directly. However, when purchasing a vehicle through CarGurus, you can explore warranty options provided by the seller or dealership. Many dealerships offer warranties or extended warranty plans depending on the vehicle.

CarGurus financing

CarGurus’ vehicle pricing is set by the dealership or private seller. However, CarGurus offers financing through partner lenders, including Chase, Capital One, Westlake Financial and Global Lending Services (GLS). Loan prequalification is offered, with no impact on your credit score. After you are prequalified, you can use your offer to view rates on cars eligible for financing.

CarGurus additional services

CarGurus provides a variety of services related to car buying and selling.

• Buy: Used, new and certified cars are available for purchase with a complete online buying experience.
  • Sell: See your car’s value and receive an instant offer. Instant offers are supported in 37 states.
  • Finance: Get prequalified and finance approval through partner lenders.
  • Research: Learn about test drive reviews, price trends, advice and tips, general questions and car comparisons.

CarGurus FAQ

What is CarGurus?

CarGurus is an online vehicle buying and selling platform. It provides an inventory of new, used and certified vehicles for sale, which can be searched for by location. CarGurus shows vehicles for sale by private individuals and dealerships.

How does CarGurus work?

CarGurus maintains an online database of new, used and certified vehicles that are offered by dealerships or private individuals. It offers listings based on ZIP code and location and assists in connecting you with financing lenders.

Where is CarGurus available?

CarGurus is available nationwide and internationally.

Is CarGurus legit?

Yes. CarGurus offers legitimate vehicle buying and selling services through a transparent and user-friendly online system. CarGurus has established partnerships with dealerships and financing lenders.

Stars Rating

• 46%
  • 10%
  • 12%
  • 7%
  • 25%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarGurus?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarGurus?

Reviewed May 24, 2024

I have never purchased a vehicle online before and was a little hesitant. I'm happy I made the decision to use Car Gurus. My new car will be here by Monday. Best decision I could have made. Sal from CA. Auto Sales has really helped, he explained the procedure and is also providing Tow so I don't have to drive hours to get the vehicle. I'm grateful for the service. I'm even more grateful at how easy this has been for first time online car shopping.

Pinned

Thank you for your feedback and 5 star rating.

Get buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Staff

Reviewed May 23, 2024

My experience with Cargurus has been very good. They have helped me find what I’ve been looking for. My only issue has been the dealership or sellers haven’t been completely honest. I’ve purchased a 2016 Lincoln MKT and a 2017 Suburban, only to have to put thousands of dollars in each of them. When I say thousands, I’m talking $3-7 in each if not more. These cars need to be truly inspected by someone certified prior to be put up for sale on the website.

Pinned

Thank you for your feedback and review. IS there anything we could of done to earn 5 stars?

Gracie

I don’t understand why it is very good if you have had to spend thousands of dollars on both vehicles you got from
      Them!

Price

Reviewed May 23, 2024

I do a lot of research when considering a big purchase like a new vehicle. I’ve used many sites and resources but CarGurus has become my go to site for information, inventory, calculators, and accuracy. I recently purchased a 2023 Honda Ridgeline from an out of state dealer for a super price. I would not have been aware of this opportunity if I wasn’t using The Guru. I have recommended Car Gurus on numerous occasions. Purchasing a vehicle without car gurus is not a chance I’m willing to take.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Jan. 29, 2024

I was contacted via text immediately by Cargurus in regards to a vehicle I was interested in. The gentleman informed me that he could not discuss deals on the price but asked me if I would be interested in the dealership reaching out to discuss the matter, I then continued to give him my phone number, email and name and he told me I would be hearing from Palm Springs auctions today! He was very kind, quick to respond and very helpful!

Pinned

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review! We are glad that you got the assistance needed in making your next purchase!

Staff

Reviewed Dec. 8, 2023

They are helpful based upon the information they have already. Quick responses as well. They also help you get in contact with the dealership for you and try to help you with as much as they can as they ask if you need any more assistance with anything. The only thing I would like different is if they could have more information than what is posted.

Pinned

Thank you very much for providing such valuable feedback! We are extremely happy that our team was able to assist you as best as possible!

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed July 6, 2024

UNSCRUPULOUS, SCAMMERS, FRAUDULENT BUSINESS PRACTICES.... To say the experience was bad is an understatement. I am pursuing legal action with the District Attorney and the DMV (licensing agent for dealerships). You would think that paying for a vehicle in cash would be a simple transaction, but I was sold a car that was not suitable for sale. After the 1st week, I was advised to go to their sister-dealership for service and almost 4 weeks later the car was returned to me after major work was done (engine mounts, transmission mounts, etc).... And that was only completed because I bought the $5k warranty.

There was no regard for the inconvenience, the multiple trips to/from both dealerships, calls and messages went unreturned and even some issues were denied by the warranty. The GM, Sean NEVER addressed the matter in writing (via email/text), call or in-person after me sitting waiting for him for nearly an hour. Other unprincipled employees that I continued being passed to were Belash, Payton, Smitty, Elaine, Lesandro.... All were informed but did nothing but pass the buck and lie. I intend on taking this as far legally as possible, so others won't be scammed and deceived.

Customer Service

Reviewed July 5, 2024

This was a great experience from getting the account to the car buying experience. I was able to save searches, compare cars, and get pre-approved. The online photos were true to condition and the dealer had excellent customer service.

Financing

Reviewed June 30, 2024

Hello I just recently tried to do a financing application and they said I was spruced but then I get to the lot but I was not approved. This is a fraudulent company who dealers pay to get leads. They ran my credit which is also a hard inquiry on my credit.

Reviewed June 29, 2024

We were looking for something specific, something that is not very common and found it at CarGugus.com. We sent an inquiry through the website asking about availability and quickly got an answer from the dealer. We went over, drove the car and were able to work out a deal and bought it. Next time I'm shopping CarGurus will be my first stop!

PriceStaff

Reviewed June 29, 2024

This is the second time I've bought a car using Car Gurus. Their information on price, value, and dealer reputation is invaluable. The second dealer had a good reputation, and he lived up to it. The first one, not so much. He lived down to that too. Forewarned, I got away with a good deal. The only used car purchase I'd rank ahead of these two is the one I bought from my dad in 1963.

CarGurus Company Information