1.69/5
Based on 141 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

Chevy Aveo

The Chevy Aveo is a subcompact car. Read more Chevrolet reviews to learn about other models.

160 Chevy Aveo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 21, 2018

My 2004 Aveo is a good car. Run great and has very good mileage. I bought used. No rust and perfect size not too big or too small. Also, very safe for kids to ride in. An Aveo 2004 sedan has the perfect room and drives amazingly nice. I enjoy the big and roomy back seat and trunk area, heat is more than perfect, the stereo plays nice and the windows are of good quality. The Aveo turns easy, too. It's cheap and not a gas hog. I like the many mileages and the sunglass holder for the driver to keep from searching hard. I kind of dislike the small tires of the Aveo and how the back end blocks your view a little bit when backing up and heated seats would be a nice touch.

Original review: June 13, 2018

The Chevy Aveo is compact and it's very reliable and I love the car minus the constant antifreeze leak. My favorite thing about the car is the fact that we have very little issues with having to repair it and the way it looks, it's so cute and easy to get into spaces and the pull out cup holder, the CD player and the button you can press if you're out of area and it programs all the popular radio stations in that area to your car. However, the windows are not electric, there is no armrests and not a lot of space. I can barely fit my family and all our stuff when we travel in it. Still, it's been a very good experience.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 12, 2018

My Chevy Aveo was bought secondhand it has had a few issues since purchasing it but remains a nice little car to get myself and my family from one place to another. And as it's my first time driving in the US it is a small enough car for me to get used to the roads especially as in England we drive on the other side of the roadway. I didn't like the age of the car and it doesn't have an outlet for me to listen to music so another purchase is necessary to enable my family to listen to music or DVDs when we travel.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I bought my Chevy Aveo 5 Hatchback Daewoo brand new. Have taken it to dealer for everything. It's been an extremely good vehicle. I sold for to a friend in 2016 for 4200. But after a year he bought another car. I bought it back for 1000. Change the tires. Change the oils and fluids. Carrying cost are so inexpensive it's a no brainer really. It has over 112,000 miles. Still has power, CV Joints still good no leaks. Have driven this little guy all over mountain, plains, desert. Those South Koreans can build a hell of a car. I call it my Obama car. I turned in a old truck that was nickel and dime-in me for years. Cash for Clunkers was the Obama program. Love the program. Miss that guy in the White House???

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I bought a 2009 Aveo with 60k miles. At 90k miles one after the next three coolant hoses started bursting. Replaced every hose and thermostat over the course of two weeks. Couple weeks later thermostat housing cracks, another coolant leak. Another week goes by after that's fixed and there's coolant all over my passenger flooring. Heater core done for. Fix that. Now into this car for a couple grand and still owe 6k on it. A month goes by and the temp gauge is all over the place. No leaks to find but no coolant. Bone dry. Head gasket needs replacing... I've had lots of cars, I'll be sticking with Nissan and Honda from now on.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevy Aveo?

Original review: April 26, 2017

We bought this 2007 Chevy Aveo for our son's 16th birthday in August 2016. It had about 32,000 miles on it. It is now April 2017 and he has had nothing but trouble!!! The car is jerky, has very little power and won't make a two-hour trip. We have had it look at by a dealer who told us nothing was wrong. We replaced the belt battery, the coil, the brakes, the tires, some fuses, the list goes on. Now it won't hold a charge so he can't even drive it! WOW what a bunch of crap. The alternator is our next endeavor. $193.00! Just for the alternator. From what I have read this won't even help. Don't buy one of these cars!??

Original review: April 17, 2017

My 2011 Chevy Aveo has 80,000 miles on it. All of the coolant hoses have had to be replaced in the past week. Now coolant has leaked out, the car overheated and will need to be towed. Last year I had several problems with electrical issues. This "affordable" car has turned out to be anything but affordable. Don't be Chevy.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2017

I bought my 2007 Chevy Aveo 5sp new, with only 3 miles on it, Oct 2007. I've put on OVER 150,000 miles. Overall, this car has been excellent and the value... Great! Vs - what other cars cost!! Yes, there was an issue with "some loss of power" in 2012... I researched it, took it to a good mechanic... No problems! Yes I had the belt changed on time, regular oil changes, and 3 sets of tires. I've had tune-ups done in a timely manner. I currently have a bearing going out. *It will be hard to say goodbye... But, it is time for her to be a trade in. She has been extremely dependable! Yes, I've driven over mountains, gone camping, and across the highways. I've never kept it in a garage, and I've driven lots & lots in the city. #GoodLittleCar

Original review: Nov. 22, 2016

I bought my Chevy Aveo in 2011 with 10km on the clock. I have experienced endless problems from the word go. My car kept dipping. Took the car three times to GM to sort out the problem. Every time they said nothing is wrong. Then my car started just cut out leaving me stranded, and losing power; again back to GM nothing is wrong? Now the warranty expired, and I had to replace the hydraulic lifters, and I'm also still sitting with a car that is dipping, cutting out and losing power??!!! This is the most unreliability car ever. Stay away from CHEVY!!!! This was a waste of my money!!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2016

I bought my first car, a 2010 Aveo, 2 years ago with 80,000 miles on it. Now it has 110,000. At first, I thought it was a good, cheap car and really cute. Now I hate it. Once I hit 95k miles I had to replace the spark plugs and have had problems with my AC ever since. Recently, this car has been overheating. The first thing I did was researched online about common problems with this type of car, and came across articles saying to first replace the radiator cap and thermostat, because they could be the problem and they would be the cheapest to fix. After doing that, the car still kept overheating, so I took it to a mechanic that checked for cracked heads. That wasn't the case.

After the mechanic even told me nothing was wrong with it, I just decided to keep driving it to work as my ONLY option (while searching for other cars to purchase) because I was just screwed. 1 month later and magically, my car hasn't overheated yet. But, I am having trouble driving the darn thing because it keeps losing power. Point of story is Aveo's SUCK and DO NOT get one. If you have one, trade it or sell it before it's too late. PS I will never buy a Chevy car again.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2016

2007 Chevy Aveo - This Chevy Aveo has had brake problems for the last 3 years. Every time I take it to a Chevy place to check the brakes they say the "specs" say everything is ok. So no one will fix the problem. It has been in 4 times now. The brakes do not work at all when I first start driving the car, each day. I can press the brake pedal all the way as hard as I can and there is nothing. I have to pump them repeatedly to get the car to stop. It is taking longer and longer to kick in and stop. But the "specs" say that it is okay. So what is wrong and where can I get it fixed?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

I purchased car 3 years ago. Never problem till now. Never overheated. Gauges never shown problems. Car lost power. Water pump busted and caught on fire. Thought only pump and belts. Fixed... now we know it destroyed motor. Has 92,000 miles.

Original review: July 29, 2016

The car was donated to me. I am a single mother and I needed something light on gas and reliable. It ran ok at first even with the major issues it had. No gas tank door, no door handle, I couldn't speed over 30 miles without the wheel shaking and it making a noise... but it was all I had to drive. Then before even a year the real repairs start oil leak from somewhere... hub bearing bad. I had a local mechanic look under my hood and he started to point out stuff and I started to cry... So many problems and he said "that's why the owner got rid of it." Now I can't afford the repairs and now I don't have a car.

Original review: July 18, 2016

I purchased my 2011 Chevy Aveo 5LT from a reputable used car dealer, about 3 yrs ago. The ratings for the car said it had great gas mileage and would get about 35 mi/gal on the highway. That could not have been further from the truth. We are lucky if we get 20 mi/gal. Then when it came time for a brake job we put factory rotors on the car and blew through them. We are by no means rough on vehicles and the fastest we really drive is about 70mph. So after a year we had to replace the brakes again. This time we put performance brakes on and had them custom slotted to allow more cooling so they wouldn't warp. There is really no reason for a 2-liter engine car that only has about 100 horsepower to require performance brakes (I mean come on now).

Now here we are a year later in 2016. I have owned the car for about 3 yrs now. It has less that 78,000 mi on it. The 5yr/100,000 mi powertrain warranty just expired in March. My car is making a hard grinding sound and I took it to my mechanic. First we thought a brake caliper locked up. They get it up on the lift, the tires spin just fine. No locked brakes. Then they thought maybe the axle shaft. Nope... The boot is intact. So they start looking under the hood. What do they find??? Water... Water in the transmission. Leaking from the radiator into the transmission. Well... If you have a leak in a radiator and it is going one place chances are it is leaking the opposite way too. Sure enough the mechanic flushed the radiator to take it out and replace it. He found transmission fluid in the radiator too.

Considering the radiator had various places within the engine that it connects to as well and transmission fluid corrodes rubber... I basically have a $7,700 paperweight. My mechanic called 5 different GM dealers to try and find one that would help with the repair of this car. They all refused (I'm not surprised there). What I do find to be particularly frustrating is that it feels like General Motors has realized there are serious issues with this model car and have quietly been trying to get them off the road. For the last year and a half I have been receiving letters from various GM dealerships saying that they have an "Interested buyer" who is looking "specifically" for 2011 Chevy Aveo's and that they will pay out over book value to trade it in for a newer model car. I will never be buying another GM vehicle ever again. If you are looking to buy a Chevrolet. Don't walk... RUN AWAY!!!

Original review: June 26, 2016

My car surged and went through the intersection while I had the brake on. I had to put it in park to stop it. Has anyone had this problem? This car has had many problems with it since I bought it used. I have not had it for a year and I have already put $2200.00 in it. Problems with front end. Squeaking from the front end that is continuous and brakes that squeak even though I have had it all checked.

Original review: June 24, 2016

2009 Chev Aveo lT - I bought this car in 2010. Since then with keeping up on all maintenance it is a great car. This car had 38,000 miles on it when I purchased it. This car was bought at Balise Chevrolet in MA. Nice mileage - tires have been replaced 2 times. This is because both times I have purchased inexpensive tires. I notice now if you buy cheap you get cheap. I have had the reg maintenance on it and always showed up at regular maintenance. It was their internet special and also was a former lease car. Timing change and 2 sets of tires a tune up.

Original review: April 12, 2016

2009 Chevy Aveo 5 Speed Manual Transmission - I bought my 2009 Aveo in June of 2009 and have generally been quite satisfied with the vehicle. It usually needs tires every year but I don't usually have to invest more than $300 (not including tires) to get it to pass motor vehicle inspection each year. I feel that this is reasonable because the car is paid for and with repairs and tires this car is still within my budget. Certainly, less than the payment on a new car.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2015

Well I don't know if this will help anybody but my 2011 Chevy Aveo was a good car until about 4 months ago when my car lost power. After 3 months of not running it was finally fixed, the problem was this car has 2 converters on it. I had the first one replaced but the second one was clogged as well so my mechanic removed it and replaced it with a pipe and now my car runs like it was nothing wrong with it. The information I gave was obtained from my mechanic.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2015

My husband and I bought a 2005 Aveo from A-auto car dealer. At first, It was a nice car. Got good gas mileage. We drove to West Palm and the whole car vibrated. I took it to a tire shop for a front end alignment. Turned out the tires were shot. Three were bulging and the other had bad wear on it. This was $400 I didn't expect to pay. After about two to three months, the light on the battery was lit. Thought it was the battery and I replaced it. The light stayed on. It turned out the alternator was bad.

After replacing the alternator, things started going wrong. The list on repairs are: replace the two plastic door handles, the timing belt, thermostat housing, hoses, thermostat, plugs, wires, throttle body sensor, blower motor and window control. That's what was done, there are more items that need to be done. The two o2 sensors, two cam sensors, valve cover gasket. The new problem that has arisen is the car pulls badly to the right. The tire doesn't look good. I am hoping it is the tire or alignment and nothing else. Just wish we had gotten a better car instead of this garbage.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2015

Chevy Aveo 2008 is a piece of crap. Heats up, change spark plugs every 3 months, loses power, and just quits going down the road. Sensors goes out and it fixed too many times to count. Never buy a Chevy car again! Chevy should do the right thing and recall it.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2015

We purchased last year from Regis Towing Car in Anaheim, Chevrolet Aveo LS with over 60,000 odometer. To me, car was not worth $4,000.00 only by seeing how it looked inside & outside. I told my granddaughter, "If someone did not care how car looks then never took care of important things like change the oil, tires, etc.” But she was one who found an ad on Craigslist, believed that you could trust in low mileage, and rest could be fixed. We didn't get pink sleep for very long time, unable even to register this car for 2 months. Very soon problems started. The gaskets had to be fixed, cost us $1,700.00. Now transmission has to be fixed for $1,500.00. So, just warn other consumers. Don't trust ads from Craigslist. Don't do business with Regis Towing Car in Anaheim, don't buy Chevy Aveo!!!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2015

I have had my head gaskets go out twice in three years with this car. The gas cover door broke right of and the AC doesn't work and it's only a couple years old.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2015

I have a 2010 Chevy Aveo and it has stalled on me several times, since 2010. The time that topped the cake was when it stalled on me while I was on the highway, and I almost got rammed by a semi truck. Got the car towed to a Chevy dealership June 19, 2015. Now July 31, 2015 I'm having the same issue. Car is stalled, thank God I'm alive messing with this junk of a car.

Original review: July 30, 2015

I have a 2011 Chevrolet Aveo and it only has 74,000 miles on it. Whenever I attempt to accelerate it just simply will not go. The car is only 4 years old. It is beyond ridiculous that ANYTHING should be wrong with the transmission. The fastest that it will go is 55mph on a good day. Are there any recalls on this model? Has anyone else experienced this? Please help!!

Original review: July 24, 2015

I have, well had a Chevy Aveo Hatchback 2009. I have almost been killed multiple times in this car. Car has completely stalled out and lost power while on the freeway. When I try to accelerate to get onto a freeway fast sometimes it takes a minute to get up to 60 mph. This car is not cute, comfortable or safe. My Aveo only has 55,000 miles on it, I used it to drive around my college campus and town. With only 55,000 miles on it I have already spent $3,000 on repairs and these repairs were done when it was 40,000-50,000 miles. Now I have learned that my A/C won't work because of the compressor. Got quoted for a compressor and the cheapest one for my model is $2,500 for labor and materials. So this car cost $14,000, has only 55,000 miles and already over $5,000 worth of repairs needing to be done on it. That is absolutely crazy and it should be illegal for Chevy to be able to sell a product like this.

Our family has owned a two Suburbans, 4 Chevy trucks and 2 Camaros, because of this Aveo and their total lack of caring to help fix a car with only 55,000 miles on it with so many problems has solidified that we will never ever be a Chevy family again. We now own a Land Rover and I bought a used luxury car with 100,000 miles on it and it is 1000000000x better than the Aveo. Take your 14,000 and buy a used, nice car. Believe me it will save you money and headaches in the long run. Carmax will only give me $1,500 for the Aveo. Pretty much $13,000 got me a car that worked for 40,000 miles after that you will be putting in thousands of dollars of parts replacements. I really can't believe that 55,000 miles will only get me $1,500. BIGGEST WASTE OF MY MONEY EVER.

Original review: July 14, 2015

I have had my 2011 Chevy Aveo for almost a year. It has 65,000 miles on it and when I tried crossing a busy intersection I tried accelerating and the mph would not go past 20, I barely escape the oncoming traffic.. I was almost hit because my car wouldn't go. (The traffic that I was crossing had a red light so I had clearance to go.) I've read others' complaints on this, however, the dealership keep stating nothing is wrong.

Original review: July 11, 2015

2007 Chevy Aveo - I've had so many problems with it. I've replaced the thermostat and thermostat housing twice, replaced the cooling fan bearings, the tie rod, multiple hoses. I've replaced the starter and now the power steering bracket snapped. I've spent around 4k fixing it and that's after paying 10k. I've only had it almost two years and every time I turn around something is wrong. It's the most unsafe vehicle known the market and Chevy should buy them all back.

Original review: July 10, 2015

I have replaced my old headlights due to the lights melting the front of the light cover.

Original review: July 9, 2015

I have had my 2011 Chevy Aveo for almost 2 years. It has 84,000 miles on it and when I tried crossing a busy intersection I tried accelerating and the rpms went to 5000 and stalled in the middle of the road and the traffic started coming... I was almost hit because my car wouldn't go. (The traffic that I was crossing had a red light so I had clearance to go.) I literally avoid intersections without a stop light or stop sign because it continually stalls... Is there a recall because I can't seem to find one and I've read others' complaints on this.

Original review: July 6, 2015

I've had this car for almost year. I've had issues with the a.c. right away. They fixed it still to this day. A.C. when you driving on the highway not circulating through the car just about die in it. Then when it's windy out the car does not handle well at all. When you are going on exit ramp to get on the highway, has no power. About 40 miles/hour approaching highway very deadly. These Chevy are nothing but piece of junk. Got a lemon from rusty deck Ford in Wichita ks. Told them one day after I sign for this car that I wanted something better, never by Chevy again.

Not sure about Chevy Aveo?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Dealers for you.

Chevy Aveo Company Information

www.chevrolet.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business