Chevy Aveo

Chevy Aveo Reviews

About Chevy Aveo

The Chevy Aveo is a subcompact car. Read more Chevrolet reviews to learn about other models.

Chevy Aveo Reviews

Stars Rating

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevy Aveo?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevy Aveo?
    Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Nov. 12, 2014

I bought the car (2008 Aveo) used in 2013 from a dealership and I thought I got a good deal on it because the mileage was low and it had been dented on the driver side which made it cheaper. Now fast forward to March of 2014 when I was having trouble getting the key to go in since I bought it, so when the ignition would not turn I assumed it had to do with my key. I kept trying to start the car for days but nothing helped. I even had neighbors give it a try. So I finally called the phone number listed in the handbook that came with the car for Chevy and the automated recording in the beginning asked if I was calling about the ignition recall. So I was excited thinking they would replace it and when a representative came on the phone she said my car was not one of the cars on the recall list for ignitions so I contacted a locksmith. The locksmith first checked my key because I told him I had trouble getting the key in and the same for unlocking the door. The key would go in but it would not always turn right away and determined it was not the key. So he took out the ignition and discovered something inside of it needed a repair and put it back in which cost me $125. It seemed to have worked.

Fast forward to November 2014 and it has begun not turning again. It is as if it is stuck and will only get unstuck on its own time. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for it, I tried jiggle and turn the steering wheel and pumping the brake and holding down the brake pedal to the floor but nothing helps. It is causing me to be late to my job and late to take/pick up my daughter from her school/work. On Sunday it took about 30 minutes before it turn and then the next day it took 25 minutes and still two more times it took almost 15 before it would turn but I am worried if I hire a locksmith again that it will only fix it temporarily and I don't make much money so to me $125 is a lot.

Also, my son tried to put LED lights in my car about 10 days ago and something went wrong in his words my car didn't like them and he immediately took them back out but it changed my side lights (blinkers and tail lights) to stay on even when the car is off and figured that out when I went to drive it afterwards and it wouldn't start. So for now the solution seems to be that my day lights still work so I have to remove two 10amp fuses from the engine area to keep those lights off. And when I drive at night I have to put both fuses in and when I get to my destination take them back out which didn't seem so bad if I only had to do it a few days but I am still having to do it and as I figured out yesterday don't bother the fuses in until the car decides to turn on which could be on the first turn or the 100th turn. UGH, I won't get a Chevy again!

Reviewed Nov. 11, 2014

I purchased a 2009 Aveo5 LS in October 2013 used from Earnhard Kia/Scion. As I drove off the lot, the battery died. Also I'm having the same problem as many others, the spark plugs are going out. The car heats up and has this burning (like cigarettes) smell, and my car has no power. When I am with my infant child in the car, it will stop in the middle of the street. I will be taking it to the dealership to have them fix the defect.

Verified purchase

Reviewed Nov. 2, 2014

First, had starting problem in shop, 3 times didn't report anything. Replace power train, later it happened again. Replace some part behind gauges, cost 800 dollars didn't fix problem. Repair the ignition switch, it hasn't happened again. Well so far put $1500 in part and labor. Now it's losing power. How know what that will cost.

StaffReliability

Reviewed Oct. 31, 2014

This Chevy Aveo 2009 is just problem after problem. I'm having the clock not working, the AC is not blowing cold. When I got a mechanic to work on fixing the AC, he couldn't fix it. He said something wrong with Chevy Aveo cars. Also I have a check engine light for oxygen sensor. When I replaced the sensor the light still comes back for the same reason! I'm really sorry and mad for buying car. I'm still without AC on my black car! And the time inside the car is always wrong because the clock is not working. Is Chevy doing something?!

Reviewed Oct. 29, 2014

My car has only 60,000 miles. The timing chain broke cause it was make on a plastic putty. GM won't recall it. Nuts, Who would think this wasn't made out of steel? Had to pay $2000.00 to fix it.

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed Oct. 16, 2014

I bought a 2011 Chevy Aveo from Simpson Chevrolet of Garden Grove in March 2013. I told my sales rep I wanted a small car that was low on maintenance including tires so he recommended the Chevy I bought... I go to get new tires today because are completely worn out and was told my car doesn't have the right tires for my car AND worse!!! This car requires special order tires that cost $100 each!...

The original quote for my tires was $49 since it's a small car, but no, since my model requires special order it's more expensive.... I called the dealer 40 min ago and still no call back. I could have rolled over and dies on this car. I think I need legal advice.

Reviewed Oct. 14, 2014

I wish I could rate a zero. I bought an 2007 Aveo in the end of 2009 with only 32000 miles on it. I had head lamps burn out 5 times in the first 3 months of ownership. Around 45,000 miles dash lights started to fail and continually drained the battery. Once fixed around 50,000 miles the head lamp problems came back. By 70,000 miles the check engine light would come on any time going up a grade. Each time dumping more and more money into it. At 80,000 miles it started to shimmer, redone struts, shocks, and bearings and the shimmering went away for about 4,500 miles. At 95,000 miles lost so much power by now that might as well have bought a go-cart. At 115,000 miles started the engine to leave the house and broke 2 pistons, as it was sitting still in idle.

CoveragePriceStaff

Reviewed Oct. 5, 2014

If I had the option to put 0 stars I would. Bought this car brand new in 2009. Only 43 miles on it. At 3,000 miles the fuel pump goes out with no warning during rush hour at 75 mph in St. Paul, MN. Almost rear ended by 18 wheeler trying to get from middle lane to the emergency lane because I had no power as it was just rolling. Took 3 weeks to get the fuel pump because (to quote the dealer), "The manufacturer in Korea has to make more because this model is so new they don't have extra parts, just ones for the production line." This freaked me out as on the window sticker it said the car and parts were from China/Mexico/USA....and the only Korean car makers I knew of at the time was Daewoo & Kia so I started examining the car after I got it back from the dealership and found it stamped 'DAEWOO' underneath both the trunk and hood insulation......Needless to say I was not pleased because I was sold this car as a CHEVY not a DAEWOO and there is a BIG difference between the two and I would of never gotten this car if I had known ahead of time.

Fast forward to 78,000 miles and the car starts having major electrical problems- it started w/ OnStar coming on and off, then the clock will not keep time, then the dashboard lights went out....took to dealer and they just switch some fuses outs and it solved that problem.....then the car would randomly shut off, not crank up, act jerky, have 0 power on acceleration, wouldn't go over 45 mph once it did get going without shimmying and shaking and cutting off (very scary even off the interstate) took to the dealer and they said there was a recall on spark plugs and the coil pack which they replaced. It solved the problem for about 3 weeks then it started up again.....went back and they said same problem but this time charge $350 because the recall only covered 1 replacement set. I have to replace both the coil pack and spark plugs about every 3 months. This is not cheap.

I ask why is my car eating through these things and they said they don't know, it's something electrical. I asked what can I do...they said I could replace the computer and the wiring harness (over $1500) which MAY fix the problem. I took to an independent mechanic. He told me to burn the car because it wasn't worth putting money into it because once a car has electrical problems it is basically finished and it wouldn't solve the 'gremlins' in the car. He actually told me that Aveos are the worst car he has ever came across and he wouldn't even work on it. I have tried to trade it in and at one place they actually laughed at me because the car is junk. They said they would not take Aveos in as trade ins because of the KNOWN problems in the dealer community. Another dealer said he had bought 1 at an auction and ended up junking it because he had put over $1500 in it trying to resolve the issues and it could not be fixed.

CHEVY SHOULD BE ASHAMED!!! I know this is an economy car but I could of gotten a Kia Sportage for $1000 less at another dealer but I was trying to buy American which backfired on me. I'm betting the Kia wouldn't of given me near as much grief as this P.O.S. Oh, and I got into a wreck w/ me rolling into the back on a Lincoln Aviator at less than 10 mph and it caused over $6500 in damage to my front end (none at all to the Aviator) but the airbags didn't deploy so it wasn't a write off. Then when the mechanic had it for the coil pack problem, he got rear ended and once again it didn't cause the airbags to deploy even though it was another $7500 worth of damage and was at 45 mph....doesn't sound right to me.

Reviewed Sept. 30, 2014

I purchased my 2011 chevy aveo just at a year ago from a Toyota dealership. Ever since then the car and dealership has given me nothing but a headache. My signals go in and out, first the left, then it started working, then the right acted up. Replaced light bulbs on both sides three times and the left side is out again. If I have my ac on level two, my car loses power. I can't even pull out in traffic. I cannot leave my ac off because I have two children. That is the reason I bought the car. I thought I would have a reliable car. Guess not.

Now just recently my car has no power at all. I have to push the gas pedal to the floor to even get it to 25 mph. I refuse to drive it with my kids, so it has been sitting for a month. I contacted toyota dealership. They told me I should take it in to a Chevy dealership. When I did I found out there is a recall on something to do with the coil pack and spark plugs. But they told me for them to look at it will cost $125. Then when they find out what is wrong, they will give me an estimated. Here I'm stuck paying for a car that I can't drive. Chevy is ridiculous.

Reviewed Sept. 12, 2014

I bought a new 2009 Chevy in 02/07. 0nly 49, 000 miles it would just quit, didn't know it till I had probs steering. So I learned I would put up in neutral and start back up but on 09/02 2014 a person cut across in front of us and we hit him broad sided. Sadly to say my car was totaled no sign of a airbag tried to deploy...I had already had neck surgery 1.1/2 year ago and had back problems, also I have...I hit glove box with knees. This so scary, I was taken to er by ambulance. And still under Dr care. I just don't understand. I think hopefully I can have my voice heard. I called GM, they said to contact someone on class action...please someone help me out. Thank you very much.

Reviewed Aug. 24, 2014

I have a 2008 Aveo that I purchased from a Chevrolet dealership in Russellville, KY. Since the 2nd day I owned it, it has been nothing but problems. Air Bag sensors not working, Have had this repaired three times. Yesterday the Air Bag light came on again. My biggest trouble has been with the Throttle Position Sensor. Get a P2135 code that tells you to replace the entire Throttle Body. I did this ($300 part), did no good. The car has been in the shop for over 7 months in the 15 months I've owned the car. Computer has been "flashed" numerous times. Didn't work.

GM Customer Care asked me to take the car to and Authorized Chevrolet repair shop. I did. After 2 trips there and a total of 6 weeks in the shop, they tell me they think the problem is with the ECM Engine Control Module. This part has an 8 year, 80,000 mile warranty. I bought the car with 76,000 mile on it. The problem has been documented by the Chevy dealership I purchased the car from for many thousands of miles prior to me purchasing the car. GM refused to honor the warranty because the car now has 82,000 miles.

This is the thing that gets me. When I bought this car, they knew I was buying it for a daughter in college. They knew the car had these problems and sold it to me anyways. They now don't like it when I tell about these problems on-line. They are dealing with recalls for 27 million cars. There are, at a minimum 27 million people they have put at risk for death. There are many more millions of cars out there that have serious safety issues that they are not recalling. In my dealings with Mansfield Chevrolet, Chevrolet, and General Motors over the last year, I can, beyond any doubt in my mind, tell you that when GM states that safety is a primary concern in their cars is an outright lie. They care nothing about safety and well being of any customer. Anyone who purchases any GM product from this point on is risking the lives of themselves, their family, and everyone they meet on the road. GM has shown me, by their actions, that profit far out-weighs safety.

Reliability

Reviewed Aug. 20, 2014

2011 Chevy Aveo - Had my car into multiple shops including the Chevy dealer for stalling issues and no power or little power only to be told over and over again that no one knows what is wrong. This seems to be an issue with these cars and someone needs to do something before innocent people get hurt or killed! I will never buy another Chevy again as they seem to only care about making their money and not the safety of others! Really nice paying off a car that is so unreliable! Thanks Chevy.

CoverageStaff

Reviewed Aug. 15, 2014

I have 08 Aveo, bought it at 31000 miles. It has now 45418 miles. Drove to work about 25-35 mins. away. When I got there motor sounded rough, saw thermometer all the way up. Didn't understand why I have a breakdown and so soon, only a small amount of miles. The radiator blew out on the side, camshaft cover gasket and seals. Now I understand and with all the complaints, friends and people talk about their Aveo - that the Chevy Aveo has a bad reputation. They discontinued and replace it with the Sonic. Makes me wonder that they even knew that car is going to give Chevrolet Company bad business... Now I don't know what to do. This car could of help me, but it was a wrong choice.

Reviewed Aug. 10, 2014

2010 chevy aveo - On I 35 at 65 mph, lost power, an 18 wheel rig almost hit me. He/she had to swerve left. Thank God I was on the right lane. Also the alignment has been worked on several times and still cannot stay centered with the slightest small bump on the road. I am in fear that I will hit a small pot-hole on the interstate and lose control into the oncoming or direction of travel traffic. It's a challenge every time I drive this car... It's been this way since 18000 miles ago till present time at only 39000 miles. I think I will go the Japanese direction on my next new car.

Reviewed Aug. 4, 2014

My 2009 Chevrolet Aveo I bought in 2010 with 7 kms on it first month wiring harness and since then we have had 5 sets of spark plugs and boots, 17 batteries, 25 starters, 16 alternators, 25 ECM computers, 17 throttle bodies, 5 thermostats, 5 heater hoses ,10 rad hoses. Cost for repairs after warranty expired over $3000.00 in total. Car has 79,000 on it now and we just had spark plugs and boots changed again and the PVC vacuum hose changed due to stalling and hard time starting unless you pump gas - still not fixed. Engine light comes on and goes off still. This is the worst car we have ever had. And we also had front brakes done - calipers seized up - just had brakes done last year $300.00 for pads only and because calipers seized up for rotors calipers and pads that was $800.00. We had a 1992 Chevrolet Corsica we had for 15+ years - no major issues except 1 head gasket after 10 years and 1 alternator and battery once a year. I did all maintenance on it, oil change, etc.

Reviewed Aug. 3, 2014

2010 Chevy Aveo loses power when driving, spoke with GM twice. No recalls. Got the excuse that the National Highway of Safety is responsible for recalls. So someone has to get seriously hurt or killed in these vehicles to get them recalled to get them fixed. Finally they agreed to do the diagnostic at no charge. So took it to the dealership. They can't find anything. So they start with replacing spark plugs, and telling me that they need to clean the fuel system. Ok, so 340.00 later, I am out the door. 2 days later, it is losing power again. Wonderful. I will be calling GM again. If they can't fix it or find the problem, then they can give me an even trade. This is **. If they won't stand behind their vehicles, then give me my money back. I bought this car used, yes, in April of 2013. It only had 25000 on it.

PriceStaff

Reviewed July 27, 2014

Well, most comments I've read here involve negative experiences - go figure. The happy people aren't around cause they're out driving! For the most part I've been pretty happy with my 2007 Aveo5. Yeah, the mileage stinks for such a small car. Yeah, it collects a scratch or dent if you look at it wrongly. Yeah, it is cheaply built - heck I only paid $8400 for it (as a loss leader) new off the lot in 2007 - it has treated me pretty well for the past 84,000 miles. Hard to scoff at $.10/mile transportation! I love it for parking downtown or zipping about easily. Sure, I have to explain to many kids how to manually roll the windows down and remind them to lock the doors, but they eventually figure it out. For $8400, I was glad to have all four wheels AND a spare!

There have been a few problems: door handle screws backing themselves out... interior trim popping free here/there. Then I've had a right front strut blow out that the local repair place wanted $500 to fix (declined, it's noisy but drives fine...) And then I went car camping with my Aveo5. I'm presuming that somewhere along the 15-20 miles of unpaved gravel roads it fell out. Or, it could have happened somewhere else along the life of the car, who knows... but the hole/mount looked clean when I checked, so this was probably recent event.

The "It" is referring to the lower of the three ($8.64) trans-axle mount bolts. Now everything was still humming along nicely even though it was missing; however, after failing to avoid ONE pothole when the light was playing tricks on me, there was a pronounce THUNK and then things got bad. Whenever I applied power from the engine, the manual shift lurched forwards. First, Third and Reverse would not even stay in gear but for a moment to get things moving. I limped along home up/down miles more of graveled roads out of the wilderness to roll into a dealer and find that missing the support of the lower bolt, the middle bolt tore the top of the transmission clear off - it was hanging there by a single bolt & the engine. There should be no reason for one of these bolts to be missing in the first place, but it is horrific that now I have to replace the $1881.00 transaxle (dealer price for just the parts).

Thankfully I didn't require a tow out of the wilderness, but I did have to tow it 340 miles home (thanks U-Haul!). It is sitting peacefully in my garage waiting for me to pull it apart. Sounds like I'll be doing a clutch, timing belt & strut and brakes while I'm at it... and then just before we left I get the Recall Notice about the ignition issue. UGH! Even still, I'm pretty happy with that little car... Now to get to work.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

I bought my 2011 in January 2013 and with me living in Las Vegas I need the air conditioner. But when I have it on 2 or 3 I have no power. When I get ready to take off it seems as though the car is off - then it strains or jumps into gear or gets speed so I can only really drive it in the winter.

PriceStaff

Reviewed July 24, 2014

I have a 2009 Chevrolet Aveo hatchback. I used to drive a 1999 Camaro and my dad got me a new car because he wanted me to be safe. HAH! This is the most unsafe car I have ever driven. I have had it for 5 years only 50,000 miles and one day on the freeway going 70 mph my car just stopped accelerating no matter how hard you pressed the acceleration. I was in the fast lane with the shoulder on the other side (full tank of gas) and my car was coming to complete stop I was able to dodge and weave and made it to the shoulder where it then sped out of control without me even stepping on the gas. The scariest moment of my life. I ended up in a median ditch and refused to drive my car anymore.

I got it towed and had it looked at. What a joke my warranty had expired a month before. Repairs would cost me $1200. Awesome. I asked the guy what was wrong. He said "faulty parts" - faulty parts almost killed me. Cool. Paid the $1200 and my car still does not feel normal. If I could roll it into a lake and never see it again I would be so happy. Biggest waste of money. Life threatening. And I see MANY, MANY, MANY, MANY other people with the same exact complaint. Looks like Chevy is okay with having a car on the road that may kill their customers and they are completely fine with them footing the bill. I don't mind paying for Labor, but why a customer is at fault for their "faulty part" that almost killed me and many others is outstanding. Completely disgusted with this company. Family has had over 7 Chevrolet vehicles all been fine. This one obviously has problems and they don't care at all. DISGUSTING!

Reviewed July 11, 2014

I bought a 2007 Chevy Aveo 5 LS brand new in 2007. Six months after purchasing it, it began having what the dealership said was a "throttle body" issue. My car is stick, so when I let off the clutch in any gear, it stutters really bad, almost like it's not getting enough gas. Chevrolet has issued multiple service bulletins about this issue, but it has never been correctly repaired since they can't seem to build a part that actually works. My car was repaired 9 times. The last time I brought it to the dealership, they said I had to pay for the repair to the tune of over $1000 and when I refused, seeing as they had "fixed" fixed my car previously, they said I'd have to take it up with GM. So I did. Two weeks later they made a decision that they'd fix the car, but I had to pay the deductible for the extended warranty. They replaced the throttle body assembly again and within 6 months it started to stutter all over again. I didn't even bother taking the car back, because obviously they can't fix whatever is wrong with it.

Until I purchased this car, I was a lifelong GM driver. My Grandfather worked for GM for over 40 years. It's unfortunate how quickly one bad instance can turn you on a brand for life. I'll never buy another GM, not just because of the problems with the car, but how I was treated by GM even after they knew I bought that car on an employee account. Shame on you, GM. Shame on you.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

In May, I was traveling down a highway about 60 miles an hour and my car just stopped. The engine was still running but there was no "juice". Pushing on the gas did nothing. I pushed the gas pedal all the way to the floor and it finally made a connection. The car ran fine for about a week, then it did the same thing. It doesn't matter if I'm driving fast or slow it will do this when it decides to. I took the car to a Chevrolet dealer to have it fixed and nothing shows on the computer and the repairman could not get the car to do it for them. They kept it three days and nothing. Two days after I got it back, it did it. Now the car is like it's missing out at random and sometimes it get like a burst of energy and jumps of its own accord. This car started doing this at 27,000 miles. This is not right. What can we do? It is now July and the warranty ran out May 26, 2014.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

I bought a 2010 Chevy Aveo at Southbay Honda in December 2011. I went there to get a Honda Civic but only qualified for the Aveo. Before I got home the car was heating up. Chevrolet replaced engine as oil was leaking into the engine. Later in 2012 I had to buy a wheel as it bent... trunk leaks water to the inside every time I wash the car. Hoses needed replacing one time when I was picking up my grandchildren from school. Car heated up and was smoking. Towed it to the mechanics. Heater or fan doesn't go on at #1 only #2 and up and that's too hot. Air conditioner isn't working for the last two years. Mechanic thinks it's an electrical problem but he needs to check it first. It would cost $100 which I don't have. I'm a senior on a fixed income. Lemon law can't do anything. I asked. Would you be able to help? I would like a replacement car. Thank you.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

This car, purchased new in 2009, has only 6000 miles on it. The hatch has to be slammed shut, dealer unable to fix. This causes inside light to stay on and drain battery. Now, no brake lights for heaven only knows how long we've been driving that way. Battery swelled up and had to be replaced after 4 years. Battery mysteriously drains, not from hatch light, not sure the cause - happens intermittently. Seems like a lot of electrical problems for such low mileage. For a car so cheaply constructed, the sticker price should be at least $3000-$4000 lower. Wouldn't recommend to anyone.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

I purchased A 2007 Chevy Aveo right off the showroom floor, top of the line model at the time. And for the first 4 years I was quite satisfied with the car. However I had a head on collision in the car in 2011 and the way the car looked I thought it was a right off, however because my airbags did not go off and the repairs were just over $4000 they repaired my car, but I had to bring it back 3 times because the repairs weren't done properly or something that should have been repaired were not. Since then I have had to do the brakes twice, the wheel bearings, radiator, stabilizer link and in the last year my daylight indicator has not been coming on which means no daylights. This happens at least 4 to 5 times a week. I smell something burning and for the past 3 years when I take my key out of the ignition, it is so hot to the touch it burned me. Now with this recall it all makes sense but I have not had no letter regarding my car. Not sure what is involved with repairing the car but everyone says I'm on borrowed time with 197,000 km on the car currently.

Reviewed June 13, 2014

I purchased my vehicle in 2010 right off the showroom floor. My vehicle has less than 100,000 miles, less than 4 years old and the compressor in the air conditioner went out. While most everything else is still within warranty, the cooling system is not covered at any time. It also has to be ordered and fixed by the dealer to a tune of almost $ 800.00.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

If you experience a problem in your manual gearbox in Chevrolet Aveo just refill the brake fluid box with DOT 3 high quality oil and the gearbox will become smoother. Make this procedure twice a year.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

Last year the instrument panel was lighting up like a Christmas tree. I took it the dealer, they said it was a fuse box and it would cost $900 and would need to be special order. I want to know if everything worked, they said yes. Didn't have $900.

Reviewed May 15, 2014

Replaced timing belt 2x on my 2007 Aveo with 128k miles on it. The ac is out. I have put about 5K into this car in the 3 years I have owned it on top of the sales price and have not been happy with the car at all. I have been stranded 2x after dark.

Staff

Reviewed May 15, 2014

Bought the car brand new from a dealer for my daughter. When she was driving home from work on the freeway, loses power, will not accelerate and overheating. Told her to pull off freeway, let it cool down, take back roads home. Next day took it to dealer. No coolant in it. They fill it up, check for leaks, can't find anything wrong. Tell her to drive it to see if happens again. She was not comfortable with that as she was now scared of the car. The mechanic was nice enough with her permission to drive the car to his home and return with it the next day. Said the car drove home like a dream. But on his way back to work the next day, lost power on freeway and overheated. No coolant. I thank him for caring as my daughter lives out of state and drives for work. He found the problem, crack in cylinder allowing the coolant to evaporate. 3000.00 dollars later. Thank goodness, we had the extended warranty. Car is running nicely. I appreciate him going the extra mile and caring as all diagnostics said nothing wrong.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

2010 Aveo loss of power - Problem started with cylinder misfire. Replaced spark plugs with no effect. Then replaced coil pack which solved the misfire. Problem was, the misfiring cylinder let raw gasoline get to the catalytic converters which caused them to plug up, which caused the power to seriously drop off. This meant you would have to rev up the engine very high to get it to shift gears. It could take two blocks to get up to 35 mph. Took to dealer and they replaced one catalytic converter and told me it was fixed. I picked it up and drove 1/2 mile and saw it was doing the same thing. I took it back and they replaced a second converter which solved the problem. That's right, the car has two catalytic converters.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

I have had numerous issues with my 2006 Chevy Aveo - I had to replace the throttle body immediately and called Chevy to complain & ask about possible recalls. At this time, I was told that no one else had complained about this issue. They did take my information about the issues & told me they keep track of these things. A recall requires many complaints before it is even looked into. To be quite honest, I think this is BS and don't trust a thing GM tells me - we have little recourse as consumers. I urge anyone having issues to report them - it's going to take many more reports to even get them to look into anything.

CoveragePriceReliability

Reviewed April 28, 2014

I purchased a used 2009 Chevy Aveo about 2 1/2 years ago with low miles, under 40,000, because I needed a reliable vehicle for transportation to and from school. The vehicle needed a considerable amount of work after the engine overheated in 2014. I am a full time student so I had to ask my mother to pay for the work done on the car. We replaced the thermostat and the radiator which was not cheap. Then we were told that the transmission had radiator fluid in it, which was not covered by the power train warranty even though the car only has 83,000 miles on it.

After explaining this entire story to GM, they refused to cover anything and I am left with a vehicle that is only 5 years old and needs a few thousand dollars of work. Furthermore, I looked up the value of the Chevy Aveo and in FAIR running condition it's value depreciated to less than a quarter of it's original market price 5 years ago. My mother has been kind enough to give her Volkswagen to me so that I can have a reliable vehicle and finish school. She has purchased a Toyota and we will never purchase a GM product again! In five years, the car that cost $10,000 dollars is now worth nothing and not driveable. Thanks GM for helping me with a reliable vehicle and out of the only money I had in life!

Reviewed April 26, 2014

I bought a Chevy Aveo 2010 with 15k miles on it back in November 2012. I thought it was an economy gas saver and the best fit for my budget. Not a scratch on it. I can tell you not the case. I had the car for all of three months and the engine light came on it. I immediately take it to my mechanic just to find out two sensors were bad. The car was running sluggish. Had them replaced and now again, the same "Darn" sensors. They are not cheap I tell you. The inside digital board acts funny; the onstar keeps popping on for no reason and it runs sluggish. The engine light is back on and the radio goes out sometimes. Unfortunately I can't afford this right now and this car is a rip off. Cheaply made but, pricey to fix. GM is getting worse by the minute.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Purchased the 2011 Aveo for my daughter. Same pick-up problem I am reading that others have had. She has the basic model. No power windows, doors, etc. Brought the car for service and they say nothing is wrong with the car. Seriously...

Staff

Reviewed April 8, 2014

My car 2011 Aveo Chevrolet was stolen last month and the driver hit a light post. The front end and bumper was totally damaged. And the airbags didn't open. The hood, the right fender and the tire was completely damaged and the time my insurance was expired, and I have to replace all the front end of the car.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

I bought a 2009 Chevy Aveo about two years ago and it's the biggest mistake I've ever made in a purchase. I bought it from a dealership used, only 22,000 miles on it. I heard great fuel economy, affordable at $11,000, and some other bonuses. Well, that purchase price went up by another $1,500 when about 8 months later I started having electrical problems, like all of the meters on my dash would just die intermittently and the car would just shut off shortly after I took off with it. The dealership initially couldn't find any problem, so I brought it back and they told me a certain module (can't remember the specific name) was the problem.

Two days after they had it to install a new one, they found another module that was actually the problem, so they replaced that. I called back a few days later and they determined it was a third module that needed replacing. I can't even express the anger and frustration I felt upon hearing that along with the price tag of replacing it. A car that is just over 3 years old, has only 24,000 miles on it, and these essential electrical modules were junk. The dealer even asked me what I should expect since it's a cheap model.... $11,000 is considered a cheap model??!!! After those were replaced, my car has been running fine....

Well, no more electrical issues. I still have to put money into it each year because something goes wrong and I have to take it to the garage. The gas mileage is a joke on what's supposed to be an economical car. My clock hasn't worked right for a year and a half and I refuse to pay Chevy another cent to fix something that I've found so many other users having similar problems with. Never another GM car for me. I've still got another $8,500 left on the loan and know I'm going to eat part of that because no dealer/buyer is going to take this thing for that much.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Air leak inside the Aveo that has been there since I bought the car. Took It back several times and they did not fix the problem. They more or less said that we were crazy.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

I have spent almost $2000 since November on this 2009 car with only 37,000 miles on it, bought brand new by me. It loses power intermittently -- doesn't totally stall but won't move -- and it lurches. But mechanics can't find the problem. After one of these episodes, the clock flips around crazily. I've had new battery put in, new clutch, everything you can think of.. Car will run fine for a day.. starts all over again. GM claims they have no reports of this. GOOGLE Aveo and losing power.. hundreds of posts all over!!!! I barely made it home just now. This is not ok.

I would support a class action lawsuit against Chevrolet. This car has some serious glitches, dangerous ones. I think it is some weird computer/electronic thing because when before I had the OnStar shut off, using the OnStar phone seemed to trigger some of these episodes.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

2010 Aveo5 - First complaint, creaking noise when turning, fixed after 6 times back at the dealer, carriage bolt issues, solved, over revving in all gears, dealer could not find issue, searched for bulletins, of course there were none, poor gas mileage 24 mph highway and city combo. Dealer says well aveo not built for fuel economy. Ok so what is a 1.6 l engine built for? Certainly not speed and economy. I spent more time in the shop than I care to mention. Upside down on this thing so no dealer wanted it and would not help me get out of it. Especially Chevy and the dealer I purchased it from. Finally, yesterday, I was able to get rid of it and bought a toyota corolla but rolled 2000 neg equity in it. Never again will I purchase a GM product. Learned my lesson the hard way.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

I have had a problem with my car, smells like its running hot. The gauge does not move and it has been in the shop 4 times and nobody can find out why. My water pump is being replace, and so far I have had two hose busted in one week. If you have any advice let me know...

Reviewed Feb. 28, 2014

I was at 80,000 miles when I arrived home after the death of my mother. I checked the car fluids before I left on my trip. While I was out of town my brakes quit working and I had them repaired at a tune of 500 dollars, including two tires. Then as I turned the corner at the end of a long drive and about four blocks from my home, my car overheats and blows its head gasket. It has been a year and a half and the dealership and GM, neither one has done anything of worth to correct the issue.

Installation & Setup

Reviewed Feb. 23, 2014

Inside cabin hepa air filter - My daughter's 2007/8 didn't ever have it installed. She got terribly sick and had to have her tonsils out. I had to cut open the filter box and add the filter myself.

Reviewed Feb. 22, 2014

One year ago, I purchased a 2007 Aveo with only 22K miles on it, thinking I would not have any issues with the car for quite some time. How wrong I was! Now, at 32K miles, the A/C compressor is out (at a repair cost of $800-$1000) AND there is oil leaking onto the manifold. After reading all the negative remarks about this car and the problems I am just starting to deal with, I decided the best thing to do is get rid of it. I am not about to start putting that kind of money into a car with such low mileage. I called the dealership I purchased it from, and they offered to take it back, pay off the loan, and put me in another vehicle. I am very pleased with this result, but it looks like I fared better than most. Good luck to anyone else who makes the mistake of purchasing this vehicle.

Reviewed Feb. 14, 2014

I bought this 2011 Chevy Aveo used in Nov 2012. On a Friday in Feb 2014, I had the oil changed, tires rotated, fluids filled. I did not drive it the next day (Saturday). The following day (Sunday) there was no coolant in the reservoir (No service light came on). I went back, they re-filled it. THE VERY NEXT DAY there was no coolant in the reservoir (Service light came on this time). Mechanic said it needs a new radiator! It has only 50,192 miles but I replaced the radiator. Now the service light stays on and mechanic says it needs a new thermostat, which he says is VERY expensive!! This car only has about 50k miles on it! Shouldn't the radiator and thermostat last longer than that? Before this, I was pleased with the little car. Now I'm wondering what other "surprises" might be coming my way...

Reviewed Jan. 25, 2014

I agree with the person who said we should initiate a class action lawsuit regarding all the problems with Aveos. I'm with you. I am currently experiencing the "drops out from under you when you are driving issue." I have practically rebuilt this car and paid for it a second time. I can't fill in any of the stars below, because my experience with this car doesn't even qualify for 1 star. My experience is in the - stars category!

Reviewed Dec. 31, 2013

I bought my first Aveo in 2005 after my Grand Am was totaled. The Aveo was a 2094 low mileage. I loved it, I really didn't have any major problems only regular maintenance. I sold this year and bought a 2010 great price. Highway driving is great. I drive it from Alberta to New Brunswick, Canada. No problems. Great gas mileage. I would recommend this car.

Reviewed Dec. 5, 2013

This morning I noticed the front lights of the vehicle (Chevy Aveo 2007) were on. I opened and verified that the switch was turned off, which it was. I then went to get a wrench to disconnect the battery. Suddenly the vehicle's horn system ignited and when I returned the vehicle had caught fire on the front dash. I immediately got a water hose and proceeded to turn the fire off, which took me about 3 minutes. I understand the vehicle is a total loss. I contacted GM and got a reply that one of their departments will be contacting me in the next few days.

Reviewed Oct. 28, 2013

I have had so many problems with this vehicle. It only has 12684 miles and first yr had to replace all gas system. Now it's the thermostat heater control circuit and when I am driving, it jerks back and acts like it wants to cut off. Call dealer and they want me to pay $40 just to run a test. It should be covered under Powertrain warranty. If this matter is not addressed, I will contact a lawyer.

Reviewed Oct. 9, 2013

I have a 2011 Aveo that I bought brand new. I have had lots of problems with losing power so fast that it brings me to a full stop. Then all of a sudden, it takes off like a rocket. I broke down and had to be towed. They replace the oxygen sensor and it went fine for about three days. It started to act up again so I called the dealer. They had me bring the car back. They checked it and said they could not find anything wrong. I had it happen a few days later and it almost caused me to hit another car. I have taken my car back there a couple of times since and still no results. They told me that if I rented a car and leave my car there, they would check to see if they can find anything. Why should I have to pay for a rental car??? It should be their responsibility to make things right.

Reviewed Sept. 12, 2013

2010 Chevy Aveo LT worked great for maybe 2 weeks. Overheating and lost Air Conditioning. Fan blows, but no cold air. I've paid cash for it from Lexus dealer. Took it to my repair shop. They replaced thermostat heater control unit & coolant temperature sensor. Still no a/c. GM making me appointment at Chevy dealer. It's only 2010 with 43,000 miles. How is this a problem already???!!

PriceReliability

Reviewed Sept. 7, 2013

My 2007 Chevy Aveo has been a wonderful little car. Great mileage and I accept the value in trade for luxury. My air conditioning doesn't blow cool air lately. The compressor starts and stops as expected and the fan blows as always. Where do I get troubleshooting & repair steps to fix this, or at least so I can be an informed customer when I start asking repair shops their cost for repair???

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Aug. 27, 2013

Currently being towed again because not sure what wrong. Can't go in reverse without feeling like running over something. The day I bought the car I called & complained. Car was hesitating, wasn't accelerating.. Very dangerous when you are on the road 4 hours a day in a tiny little car. I brought the car back and they checked it out, said they couldn't find any problem. They acted like I was some dumb girl who doesn't know anything. I was driving 70mph on I94 heavy traffic and then I had no power. My car just died. The car behind me almost hit me. I thought the flashers were on the steering wheel but they of course are closer to the glove box in the Aveo to the right of the stereo I believe. People were honking, swerving, flipping me off. I don't know how I made over 3 lanes to get to the off ramp cause there was no room to go to the left. I was just shaking and crying and had to have a one day old car towed from West Allis to Racine, WI.

The whole reason I got a new car was because we couldn't afford car troubles. I couldn't be late for work or school. I had the car towed about 66 times in first month. It was awful. It is sickening to see that the reason I almost was killed on I94 (throttle body) is an issue with so many and GM does nothing. They lost me. I'm never buying another Chevy. They obviously don't care enough to do recall the part that is causing people the issues and also the ignition coils I believe. I'm glad I got the extended warranty. I wonder if it will be covered today. I know I got to pay that $100 diagnostic fee for them to plug the car into computer and the deductible. Sickening.. Someone is going to be killed if they haven't already. Shame on them.

PricePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Aug. 15, 2013

I bought a Chevy Aveo new in 2008. It had problems from the beginning. I paid it off early and should have sold it then, because at 5 years and 80k miles, the car overheated for no apparent reason. I always did the scheduled maintenance on this car and took perfectly good care of it. I had to have the head gasket replaced at no small cost, but the car was still worth more than the cost of fixing it, so I fixed it. THEN, not a month later, the camshaft broke! Now too expensive relative to the car's worth to fix. After five years, I am left with, as one person commented, a very large paper weight. I have contacted an attorney about a class action lawsuit for Aveo owners. I will keep you all posted.

CoverageSales & MarketingPrice

Reviewed Aug. 14, 2013

For some reason they don't give much space to list all of the problems you have so let me continue... after my radiator things were okay until yesterday when my check engine light started randomly blinking and my car started violently bucking!!!! Was able to get my car home and immediately checked my spark plugs and wires which are all still good and were just replaced 2 months ago when I had a tune up. My oil level was also good considering my oil was changed just last month! Went to restart my vehicle and now it won't start! $13,000 PLUS interest for this car plus over $25,000 on repairs! I paid the car off as fast as I could so I could sell it and now no one is ever gonna buy it!

My inspection is up the end of this month so I have to cancel my insurance! Also I have to drop out of school due to the fact that I can't get there! GM REALLY screwed up with this car! It's a money pit and now nothing more than an ornament in my front yard! Full tort coverage for what again?! Should sue for pain and suffering and false advertising. GM claims it to be a Chevy when in fact it's a Toyota Daewoo!!!! Owner's manual says made in America. Ha ha, yea right. Tell me another lie! I didn't notice until it was paid off that it was a damn Daewoo! If I would have known that I would have never bought it knowing that decades ago Daewoos were being sold as buy 1 get 1 FREE! No one wanted them even then! I was duped into buying a lemon that I can't do ANYTHING with!!!!

Reviewed Aug. 14, 2013

I purchased my 2005 Aveo in 2007. About a year later a plastic piece inside the engine (horrible engine design might I add) exploded and took out my entire engine including my belts, water pump, valves, and basically everything else under the hood! Less than a year later my clutch went and my flywheel completely melted! At being only 3 years old and having a driver who has been driving manual vehicles for over ten years and knows HOW to drive one properly this shouldn't have happened! 4 months ago my radiator exploded because it developed a huge crack down the PLASTIC seem of the housing! Whose idea was it to make something that heats up to thousands of degrees out of plastic?!?! I replaced that within a week and lost my job because I was unable to get to work that week.

Reviewed Aug. 12, 2013

I bought a Chevy Aveo 2004, and just about from the word go this car start fallen apart. The first this to go was the window washer bottle. It was not working, so I thought nothing about that. Took it to the dealership and they fixed it. Then it started smoking. They fixed it. The radio stop playing, the passenger side mirror fail off, the DIM light adjustment switch sunk into the car, the engine light stays on but they can't find nothing wrong with it. The wheels always needs air. Most recent problem passenger side rear tire won't turn or move. Now after reading up on this car, you mean to tell me it is not a Chevy, but a Daewoo from China? Isn't this some form of misrepresentation? Is this legal? Please help.

Reviewed Aug. 9, 2013

The losing power while you’re driving can be the throttle, tiny 2 air hoses connecting to the air filter, and/or catalytic converter which my old mechanic kept making me pay for another catalytic converter. The oxygen sensor and fuel exhaust system might have to all serviced as well. Since the week I bought the car it has been a biweekly disaster after another. I have tried to take it back so many times. The dealership sold clause "as is, no warranties".

I have replaced so many things. Then last month someone crashed my car and since I was not able to use it for so long I had out lowest coverage and it is not covered by my own or by the horrible person that hurt me. Now I've paid $2000 down, over $4000 in monthly payments, and $3500 in repairs, and still owe $3400 total for this garbage can is $13,000 or more if I fix the body damage but it is worth Kelley Blue book 2700. I was robbed with a pen and a smile. I need prayers.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

My 77-year-old mother bought her 2005 Aveo brand new. It has a total of 53,000 miles on it. In the last few months, she's been having problems with the brakes. She would be driving and attempt to depress the brakes and they won't go down. She has to shift the car in neutral and coast until she gets to a place where she can eventually stop or the brake will go down. She has taken the car to several repair shops to fix the problem including a Chevy dealer who assured her, after repairing the head cylinder that the problem was solved. Less than a week later, the problem was back. This is entire experience has been terrifying her.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

In the spring of 2012 we purchased a 2007 Chevy Aveo for our daughter. After two months the abs light came on and not long after the breaks started locking up. We took it to the dealership for repairs. Since then it has happened three more times, we are now on the fourth time with this, and are taking it back to the dealership. We can't keep going down this road, and if the dealership doesn't make things right, we need to resolve this somehow. Judging from all the posts GM doesn't seem interested in doing anything. Any ideas anyone?

CoveragePriceStaff

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We bought our daughter a 2007 Chevy Aveo from a friend in 2010. It only had 17,000 miles on it at the time. She had had a few problems with it, but was always covered by warranty. After she had it for a few months, it would not change gears like it was supposed to. She would have to get it really wound up and it would finally change. We took it to a Chevy dealership for them to check the transmission since there was a 5-year warranty on that.

They told us nothing was wrong and the problem continues. She just lived with it even though we knew something was wrong, but they charge you $100 every time to check it. Now that there is no warranty in effect, it will just creep along and stall. Now we will most likely have to spend a small fortune to get it fixed. If only they would have listened to us to begin with, but they had no intention to ever fix the transmission.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I bought a 2009 Chevy Aveo with 50,000 miles on it about a year ago and, at first, the car ran great. Now the car is running like crap. I changed the spark plugs on it and, a week later, the coil bar literally cracked while I was driving. I changed the coil bar on it, and it ran good for another week. Now, it is stalling when I turn on my air to full power. If I put it on 3 or lower, then it runs fine, but on full power, it stalls and I can't get up to full speed. This is a completely new experience for me. I work on my own cars so I know a lot about them, but this Chevy Aveo has me puzzled. I just can't figure out what is wrong with it now. I drive with my air on 3 or lower, and I stay in Vegas so air is a must out here. Full power air is really a need in this heat. Does anyone know what is wrong with this thing?

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We bought a 2009 Chevy Aveo and we also had issues with it losing power. What they told us was that because the car was not built for air conditioning, it causes the engine to bog down. The only time we lose power is when we run the air or the defrost. I hope this helps.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I have a Chevy Aveo that is horrible. It's pretty much trash! It has had every single part, which is covered through warranty, already replaced, and it's slowly but surely not going to make it to when my payoff is in a year. I want to have this car taken back from me and out of my life. It sucks. I still owe but I'm trying to see what can possibly be done to get rid of it without it hurting my credit since I have a co-signer. I loved my '96 Cavalier and lived with it for 12 years. This must literally be the worst car ever made when the dealerships know me by first name and mechanics all flip coins to take my keys and it's like this in all three closest dealers. That's a shame.

I purchased this car brand new to avoid having costs thinking it would be a good car but it's the worst one ever. Not a person I know with used has even come close to the amount I've got on file, like honestly 400 pages and counting of dealer visits. If anyone can help, please advise me or if you're a good lawyer, hit me up as well. I'll post up again if I do reach a solution with Chevy; if not, I'll invest in putting my info on TV with my story.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

We own a 2004 Chevy Aveo. My wife was driving on the interstate when the car suddenly got hot and started smoking. She pulled over and the car completely died. When I arrived, we tried putting water in the radiator and we could see the water gushing out of the thermostat housing! The housing is made of plastic! What rocket scientist engineer designed a plastic part for the coolant system which gets very hot? After a tow, we got it home and I checked and the inside of the housing was in pieces and melted, I had to actually scrape pieces of the part out of the hole where the thermostat goes because it had melted to it!

After replacing the thermostat with a metal one, now, the car won't start and I am not sure what is wrong. It could be a number of things, none of which are cheap! How can they get away with designing substandard parts that could very likely cause serious harm not only to the car but what if someone had an accident because of this (which is likely)? I have read numerous complaints about the same problem and GM will not do anything about it! Why hasn't a class action lawsuit been filed by someone? If there is one, count us in! Our car is very likely ruined and it is no fault of our own (thousands of dollars down the drain!). It is because of a faulty designed part. Why shouldn't they have to pay for it?

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We bought a used ‘09 Chevy Aveo in 2010. Within 2 months, I started having a problem with the car losing power. While driving the car, it would just slow down. Pushing the accelerator, the car just wouldn't go. Over the past 3 years, we have had it at Chevyland several times. On one visit, they changed O2 sensors and we didn't have a problem until there was a recall on the car. We took it in for recall and picked it up the same day after recall repairs were done; and that night, it started losing power again.

We took it back in and they can't find anything wrong. It has been doing this on and off for over a year. My daughter has been stuck on the side of the road several times. It has also done it in heavy traffic which is dangerous. It is currently in the shop. It has been there almost a week. I am dealing with GM and the dealership with no results yet.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I have had a problem with my 2010 Aveo for the past year. This is how long I have had the car. The problem is the throttle body assembly causes the car to lose power while going at highway speeds. This is very unsafe; it has been replaced twice already and at this time that I am submitting this review, it's in the shop for the same problem which will be the third time. The dealer which I purchased it from has so far worked with me but I think GM needs to look into this before it causes someone to get seriously hurt or even worse. If there is anyone else with same model and make, I would like to know and please let GM know.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Being on a budget has been a constant in this family. So I chose the 2004 Chevy Aveo baseline model for a car. This is a nice little car where gas mileage is concerned. But recently, I had been out with my wife running errands and we weren't even 2 miles down the road when the car lurched a little, started making unhealthy sounds in the engine and it died, after all the dashboard lights flashed on! Thank goodness for AAA! They sent a tow truck to us within half an hour and took our car to the local shop near our neighborhood. The mechanic talked with me about it. The timing belt was supposed to last until after 90,000 on this car and I was only at a little over 81,000 miles!

He said that for our area, it is about the 3rd or 4th Chevy Aveo he's seen go through his garage for exactly the same problem(s). Accurately, it was the tensioner that controls the timing belt that failed! But for us, it also did minor damage to one of the pistons! It could have been worse, but still my car is junked for now! I am not happy about this! We don't have the finances presently to get this fixed! Just a couple of days before this, my wife lost her job! Then this happens! Now, seeing this, I feel better knowing that I am not the only Chevy Aveo owner going through this! But something needs to be done!