Get Started

2. Automotive
  3. Car Buying Sites

3.1/5 (563 ratings)

About Carvana

Carvana is an online vehicle retailer that sells used cars, trucks and SUVs. Customers can browse its vast inventory, purchase a car with cash, receive financing or trade in their existing vehicles. Carvana certifies all of its vehicles and provides a guarantee for 100 days or 4,189 miles, whichever comes first. CarvanaCare and Carvana Gap Coverage provide additional protection against damage and theft.

Pros

• 7-day money-back guarantee
    • Convenient online process
    • Wide selection

Cons

• No delivery to Alaska or Hawaii
    • No price negotiation

Bottom Line

Carvana provides a quick and simple online process for buying used cars. Customers can have their vehicles delivered or picked up. The company takes away the stress of visiting multiple dealerships.

Carvana Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carvana?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carvana?

Original review: May 26, 2021

It is literally an Amazon for cars. Easy to use, great options and flawless delivery. The delivery was quick, he explained everything and Carvana kept in touch his text daily. The dashboard is easy to use and they respond quickly.

Original review: May 26, 2021

Carvana says they have a 150 point inspection, and they delivered my vehicle with one headlight out, and the other filled with condensation. Headlights are #46 on the overall inspection list, but #1 for the "Vehicle Exterior". This should not have been missed. I had to purchase a Headlight for the one that was out because they did not replace before delivery. They did replace the Headlight Assembly that had condensation. We later found that the Skid Plate had been Damaged, and the damage was concealed with a zip tie.

When we called we Spoke to a Lady named Destiny from SilverRock who told us we were outside the 7 day return policy (by a week), and that a damaged skid plate was Cosmetic and our Problem. We then Contacted Carvana 3 times. The first contact I was emailed a link to send photos by the first rep, then the second left a message for me that pictures were received and under review. The Third Rep said there was no record of my issue or any previous calls and referred me back to SilverRock. The 150 pt inspection calls for checks for leaks in the "Under the Hood Section" on Item (10) Radiator Leaks, (22) Brake Master Cylinder and Booster Leaks, (31) Engine Oil Leaks, (32) Trans mission Leaks, and (33) Coolant leaks.

I am currently waiting to hear back on whether or not they remove the skid plate to check the engine. The skid plate should have been removed for these steps to be performed as it covers the under section of the engine, and Damage to the skid plate should have been assessed and resolved then. (Not passed on to the customer) It is possible that either the inspection was not performed, or Carvana was aware of the damage but did nothing to resolve it. Be careful or avoid Carvana.

Carvana response

Thank you so much for reaching out regarding your recent experience with Carvana. Carvana prides itself on providing our customers an exceptional car buying experience coupled with high quality pre-owned vehicles. We know that many customers select to purchase from Carvana because of the convenience, and we want to be sure that convenience is lasting far past the 7-Day Money Back Guarantee, however it seems like we missed the mark with your vehicle while completing our 150-point inspection. All of our vehicles come with a 100 day/4,189 mile warranty for an additional peace of mind, but we are very sorry for the frustration we have caused you. We are happy to report that we have been in contact with you since these you've discovered these issues and have discussed options to remedy this experience. We look forward to continuing to work together to resolve this matter. Please contact us at (800) 333-4554 if any other comments, questions, or concerns come up. Thank you for choosing Carvana!

Original review: May 24, 2021

This company is full of problems. This is the second car I have tried to buy from Carvana. Customer service is good but both cars were delivered to me with major problems and I had to send them back. First car had a bad axle, the second car had a bad transmission and I was told not to drive it because it was unsafe. A new transmission for this car would cost $6500 plus labor. An absolute waste of my time and money getting it checked out. Not to mention a total disappointment. This company needs to get a handle on its actual product. Too much focus on advertising. Focus on your product which is total crap based on the two cars I received. Very disappointing. 150 pt inspection is complete **. Make sure to have your car inspected within the 7 day trial so you can return it.

Carvana response

Thank you so much for reaching out regarding your recent experience with Carvana. We pride ourselves on the quality of our vehicles and the efficiency of our customer advocates, and we apologize that in this situation we have fallen short of both. We know that many customers select to purchase from Carvana because of the convenience, and we want to be sure that convenience is lasting far past the 7-Day Money Back Guarantee, however it seems like we missed the mark with both your vehicles while completing our 150-point inspection. All of our vehicles come with a 100 day/4,189 mile warranty for an additional peace of mind, but we are very sorry for the frustration we have caused you. Carvana holds customer satisfaction to a high degree, and hope we can repair this relationship with you. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us at 1-800-333-4554 if there is anything additionally we can do for you.

Original review: May 23, 2021

Where to begin, I'm on the third vehicle from Carvana and the first two were returned due to issues. One broke down on the way home and the other had so many issues it was a nightmare. The third one made it all the way home and is now sitting until it can get into the shop. I'd return it but I waited three weeks to get this one and honestly I don't want to wait or deal with it again.

The repair facility states they believe it's a rear differential and it's about a 4k fix and hopefully, the warranty covers it. I haven't been able to drive my vehicle since the first day they dropped it off and they didn't drop it off at my door. Things are missing on my new vehicle and dents not shown in the pictures. Yet again this third vehicle was filthy and the $50.00 gift card doesn't cover the $350.00 detail job since it was a smoker's car also not disclosed. There was spider webs on the dash and the steering wheel was so sticky my finger were brown. With the parts missing and body work it's probably about $1500.00 out of pocket.

I called and asked what they would do to help and they said, "Ask the warranty company" or I could return this one and try again with a new rate and downpayment. I understand these are used vehicles but whoever does their pre-inspection doesn't care about their job or this is just how they do business. I've wasted so much time and money on Carvana. I could see if it was a 2k beater with a heater but since I'm paying high book I should get a clean and a decent car. How hard is it to sell a good vehicle?

Carvana response

Thank you for taking the time to reach out regarding your Carvana experience. We sincerely apologize that you did not have the stress-free experience we strive to provide every customer. We are disappointed to hear that you have been dealing with mechanical challenges. We aim to provide a stream-lined process and high quality vehicles. Your experience is not typical of our process, and it is absolutely not the type of experience we want to provide our customers. Part of our process not only is guaranteeing that the cars have gone through the 150-point inspection to ensure it drives as close to new as possible, but we also detail every vehicle so that it looks (and smells!) as close to new as possible. We pride ourselves on the great condition of our used vehicles and we can assure you that your experience is absolutely not excusable or typical of our process. After reviewing your account, we are happy to see that you are working with our post-sale specialists to get your issues resolved. If you have any further questions or concerns please reach out to us at (800) 333-4554.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 21, 2021

Was on the market to trade in a vehicle I have already purchased from Carvana but the new vehicle I got which is a Dodge Caravan GT was everything I was looking for. Now I categorized the features on the vehicle I wanted and stated that I wanted a DVD system and the car was listed that it had that feature. Got my car delivered and found out that it didn’t have a dvd system, mentioned it to the delivery person and he stated that all they’re going to tell me is that the features on their website did not state that the vehicle came with a dvd system.

Gave carvana a call and they had me on hold most of the time, spoke to more than 3 people on the phone just to tell me that all I can get is either a trade in (which then my car would have a negative equity, according to who I spoke to) and so I asked if there was another option to which all the person said was they can give me $150 for a mistake.

Now, I have a picture proving that the features on the website had included a dvd system on this vehicle and yet they said it happens sometimes. And now with the details on the website did not mention that this vehicle had cracks, broken plastic pieces inside the car, cigarette smell, paint all over my dashboard which I noticed but it didn’t bother me much, burn marks that they tried to fix into which I’m still finding after 8 days of driving this vehicle, HUGE (I mean like really big spot) purple stain on the back on the car which I didn’t know until the next day of delivery, a huge hole patch on the floorboard of the car that was covered up with the car mat, car was dirty with dog hair all over the trunk.

Now they put me on an alert for another vehicle that has the same features and same mileage and price that I got but have not yet heard from them about it. I get it it’s an online car purchase website and but this is a vehicle I’m purchasing that I’m paying for. I wasn’t calling for the money or calling to be mean, I just wanted to know how on earth they mistakenly put dvd system on the features but not everything that’s wrong with the vehicle.

Carvana response

Thank you for taking the time to reach out regarding your recent Carvana experience. It is disheartening to hear that your vehicle was listed incorrectly on our website as our intent is to never mislead you. In order to be as transparent as possible, we list the original window sticker and provide a 360-degree tour of the vehicle. With every vehicle purchase, Carvana offers a 7-Day Money-Back Guarantee because we would never want a customer to keep a vehicle they do not love. We are very sorry for letting you down and appreciate any and all feedback. If you have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to utilize our 24/7 chat service and we would be happy to assist.

Original review: May 21, 2021

I will never buy a car any other way. Previous trips to dealerships left me with dozens of inquiries on my credit report, and no car. With Carvana, it took just a few clicks, some GREAT reps and within a few days I had the car of my dreams. I even went through the process of swapping out my first car (within the initial 7 day return period) to upgrade to a newer model vehicle. The process was easy, the reps were ALL beyond compare fantastic. For the swap, we did the in-person vending machine and that was loads of fun! After going through the stress-free process with Carvana, this will be my only way to buy a car going forward!

Original review: May 18, 2021

We contacted Carvana May 14-15 to see what they would offer on an elderly relative’s vehicle. The offer was the highest we found and it’s a great truck. Then you go through the paper work upload process and select a payment. You can select direct deposit and check. "After" choosing, you get told that direct deposit will take up to 1-2 business days after they pick up your vehicle, key and TITLE! HELL-O! Carvana can change all terms at this point and the customer is left at Carvana's TERRIBLE TERRIBLE customer service (NO customer service). They say they will call you, they DO NOT! They say to text-Still gets you NoWHERE! They say to hold for hours and NO one answers! To the review they will leave feedback and a phone number that NEVER GETS answered! Come on Carvana- give customers a phone number that is actually answered by a human beings.

My next review I write is to the Louisiana Attorney General, so they investigate Carvana! And MN Attorney General! Then I am going to contact Arizona dealer division to place a complaint, I believe this is where Carvana is based and they should have dealer license issued from AZ. And to any other government review that I can reach! I called Louisiana BBB and they are rated very poor and MANY MANY complaints!! BEWARE! Carvana call me or give a good phone or don't bother with your sorry garbage. Also, an accurate rating is -4 stars.

Carvana response

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Here at Carvana, transparency and reliability are paramount to the overall customer experience. We are extremely sorry for the hassle we have caused in order for you to sell your relative's vehicle to us. Please accept our apologies for any undue inconvenience while attempting to speak with our advocates. We have been experiencing an increase in our call volume, which has resulted in longer than normal wait times. The proper teams have been notified of your experience to hopefully prevent it from occurring again. Nonetheless, thank you for your patience and for working with our team to get everything completed. Unfortunately, we are unable to locate your relative's account with the name provided. Please reach out to us at (800) 333-4554 and our team of dedicated advocates would be happy to address your concerns.

Original review: May 18, 2021

Before I agreed to buy my car, I talked to customer service about the paper tag, insurance and wheel tax fees that I was being charged on closing. Because I was trading in my car, I should not have to pay these charges. She said that I would be refunded that amount after registration. I went ahead and bought the car on 1-21-2021. I have called every month since with no results. Customer service said DMV is holding everything up. I received my title and registration soon after I bought the car. Carvana says they don't have any hidden charges. I disagree with that. This is 5-18-2021 and I have not received my refund yet. I have been telling everyone about how I liked the way I bought my car, but that ends today. Over such a small amount of money, I have changed my opinion about the company. The point is, it is my money, and I want it.

Carvana response

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Here at Carvana, transparency and reliability are paramount to the overall customer experience. We would like to apologize for any inadvertent miscommunication and for your experience that transpired, as our goal is to create a seamless process for our customers. Please know we take your sentiments seriously, and we will be holding the proper teams accountable for this mistake. After reviewing your account, we are relieved to find that you have already been in touch with a specialist and we have the ball rolling on rectifying this issue. If you still have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us at (800) 333 4554.

Original review: May 17, 2021

This is the 2nd car I bought from Carvana, and like the first, everything was straight-forward. No gotchas or anything. While I couldn't quite do everything online (I had questions), every person I talked to on the phone was pleasant, friendly and courteous. They have become my go-to place for purchasing 1-2 year old cars. I just can say enough good things about them!

Original review: May 16, 2021

Carvana is a great company but not without its flaws. I give it a 5 star because yes our car was delayed twice and yes that was hard but they communicated throughout the whole process and we got our car in the end. Customer service was great? The delivery guy was great. Overall it was a great experience and I was skeptical to begin just as everyone else is but I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Carvana Company Information