Find a Car Buying Sites partner

3. Car Buying Sites

3.9/5 (64 ratings)
Find a Car Buying Sites partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Cars.com

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Cars.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cars.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cars.com?

Original review: March 18, 2021

I purchased a 2019 Subaru Crosstrek in good faith that would be the color that was advertised. It was supposed to be blue even though every photo of it appeared to purple. I was very clear that I didn't want a black vehicle. Once it was delivered, I noticed it was black. I paid to have it inspected at the Subaru dealership and discovered it needed $1300 worth of repair for break pads, rotors, air filters, the correct wiper blades, etc. They paid for the repairs but never once tried to make things right for fraudulently advertising this vehicle as the wrong color. I will never purchase a car online again.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

I listed my car on Cars.com in December. I got a couple of messages but no sale yet so in January I went to renew the listing and was told they no longer allow private listings?? This was annoying enough by itself as it was not communicated to me at all while I painstakingly set up and ran my ad. So I asked a chat rep, they explained it was a new policy and I was obviously frustrated & asked "what the -- for?"

Their response was "I'd tell you but you swore at me"... obviously I swore in frustration at the company, not the rep. This was a petty, terrible response. Cars.com has moved on from caring about individuals with NO explanation. Because of this, I will not be using the site to shop anymore and I hope dealerships will notice that.

Get buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

After going through the whole process of signing up, giving them the VIN and all the car details plus the CC# and then OKing the listing, I hit the LIST button. And got the verification email. The next day I went back to update the photos and was not able to edit the listing so I went to a live chat. Only to be told that Cars.Com had decided to not list private ownership cars at this time. My car had never been listed. Their policy, I found out had been in affect (effect?) for a while. The Chat person said "Sorry, anything else I can help you with?" I inquired about my personal info and CC# only to be met with silence. I then went to the site and yes, they are asking people to Sell Your Car. I was able to delete my listing.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

I listed my car for months and paid the fee. I included lots of beautiful pictures and a low price to go with it and still couldn't get it sold. I barely received 1 lead the whole entire time. Would not use again.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

Posted my car and it didn't accept all of my photos then wouldn't allow me to delete or upload new ones. Contacted customer service and Mr. ** was completely unhelpful. He ended my contact while I still needed help and had a question to be answered telling me to delete my ad if I didn't like it. I paid to be insulted by some guy making minimum wage. Not worth your time or money to deal with this scam of a site.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

I purchased a car from a private seller last month and basically buying my first car I was excited. Come to find out the seller wasn’t honest at all about the car on his profile or in person. He said nothing was wrong with the car and I test drove it and everything. I asked him again, "Is the engine transmission etc. good?" He said, "Yes no problems." I said, "Okay." We continued or transaction and I got the title and left. The very next day the car started shaking and everything so had it checked out. Come to find out the tires was balding on the side I couldn’t see. That was $420 for one tire.

Week later had to get a new water pump for $1,800. I emailed the seller. He said it’s not his problem then next an oil change so this time I’m pissed off. Emailed him again. He said we will meet in a few days and he was going to give me $2,500 back and he disappeared. I contacted Cars.com twice and no reply back. Not a email or call. I've had the car since August 14th and made several repairs. My car is currently in the shop because the transmission was slipping and the computer went out. This is what I call horrible business. Now I’m stuck with this car that I paid $9000 for in cash but spent about that much just in repairs alone.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

Found the used truck I wanted 3 hours away at a fair price. Took me 3 months of searching but I found and bought my truck of my dreams. I would buy from that dealer again for sure. Thanks DTM DanTheHockeyValleyMan.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

Shopping for a car from this website is very easy, this website is Super User friendly. I use to go to other random website to see cars, but not all of them were good because there's always a scam situation. With Cars.com there is no worries. The details of the car is very easy to understand and you can always filter out the things you need or don't need. Very simple and easy.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

Great page with a lot of options for sorting. Really great experience but you should not let seller put call for price as it annoying if I like car to call for price. Otherwise great web page. Good quality and have great availability for search on different makes and models. Really like of the price rating helps a lot.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

Both are great sites, easy to use, provide all of the information necessary in order to make an informed decision. No salesperson to deal with, the price is the price, good product description. Overall a great experience with both sites.

Cars.com Company Information