Save on Car Repairs

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

216 CarHop Auto Sales and Financing Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 13, 2019

Lesson learned. I bought a 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 from them in Maplewood MN. If any of y'all wanna get into a class action lawsuit again with CarHop let me know... The car I had gotten I didn't even pick out. They picked it out for me. Let alone a month into it I had to get the mainframe of the engine fix!!! They blamed me for not going to one of their mechanics... I went with what I knew which was Tire Plus. I trust them with any cars I get in the future. I found out the tires that was on the car had nails in it and I believe they sold me a car that was flooded. SMH. Damn shame that they expect me to continue to pay on it a car that is not worth 6k more like 3k, which I've already put into. CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT. IT'S TIME FOR CARHOP TO GO OUT OF BUSINESS!

Original review: April 10, 2019

Purchase a 2010 Mazda 5 and a couple of days after purchase starting having some problems. Took it to a shop that was on the list they gave me and was informed of the thing that was wrong with the car and it will get fix. After I got the car back from that shop was told for the other work that need to get fix. I had to take it to another shop.

So I call and made a appointment and took it to that shop. Mind you these are shops on the list that they gave me. So I took it to that shop and they was suppose to fix their part. But as I was driving it a few days later started hearing a lot of noise coming from under the car and seeing wear and tear on the tires. So I took the car to a tire shop and the tires was so worn then they cut the guy's hand but you could only see it if you take the tires off the car. That is just one thing that should’ve got caught before the car got sold to me. Now I’m having more problems with the front end that cost more than I can afford but they are telling me it is not cover under their warranty. If you still want to buy a car from CarHop make sure you get it inspected yourself.

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Went to CarHop in Blaine, MN to buy a car. We picked out a car. Got the deal done and then a couple days later started having issues and found out from a shop the motor in the car had been changed and that General Motors didn’t offer that size motor in the car for that year. I then called my sales person to ask if they knew what year the motor was so I could get parts to fix the car. I was told, "Don’t worry about it. You have a warranty if anything happens." Well here I am months later and alternator is bad and it’s not covered on their warranty so I have no clue what year for the motor that’s in my car to buy parts.

Once again so I called them yet again and was told they no longer use the repair shop that put the motor in the car I bought from them and a supervisor will call me back. Well days later and still no call. So here I sit no car but still have to pay for it and they won’t do anything about it or call me back. Long story short don’t buy a car from them and if you do make sure the car or truck you buy has the motor in it that the manufacturer calls out for the year of the car. So they sold me a car with a different motor that I know nothing about or how many miles are actually on it and they won’t tell me anything but don’t worry you have a warranty. That does nothing for me.

Original review: March 9, 2019

GO down and talk to Charles, OR ANY OF THE STAFF. Will take care of you and treat you like you are special. And help get you what you need! I still feel like I'm dreaming! I got a Diamond of a deal and recommend you go down today! They will make you happy you did! THANK YOU ALL at Tacoma CarHop! You have made my dreams come true! Tell them KATHY with the New Ford Expd. sent you.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I went to CarHop the first time in 2016 and I got a 2006 Kia Sportage with about 160,000 miles on it. Put $500 down. 2 weeks after I got the car the timing belt snapped. I took it in for the repair. They said they needed to put a new motor in it as well as the timing belt. They had my car over a week. I got it back, I refinanced my vehicle with my bank to get a lower interest rate, CarHop closed the account and dropped my credit score 150 points. 3 days later my timing belt snapped again while driving. I needed a car and everywhere said I needed a cosigner since my score dropped 150 points for them closing the account. So I had no choice but to go back to CarHop which was my mistake.

I now have a 2009 Chrysler Seabring. I got the car August 2018 and in December needed a new Transmission. I drive for work so I called them and asked if they had a loaner car. She said I can Uber myself to and from work (I'm a single mom and cannot afford that). Well a month after my junkyard transmission was put in it is now going out for the 2nd time as well as my water pump or my head gasket. The work done on my car was also bad work since they didn't screw in a lot of things and mount back a few things. I called and asked if I can just give the car back with how many problems it has and it being at now almost 200k and they said no... My car's value is only $1-$500. I'm paying 9 thousand for it... Save yourself the headache and please go somewhere else for a car...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarHop Auto Sales and Financing?

Original review: March 2, 2019

I have my 2nd vehicle, now from CarHop. 1st one was a 95 Buick Roadmaster!!! Loved it! Now, hard times, again. Went to CarHop in Lincoln, NE, and have my Jeep. Extremely nice people. Even when calling the 800 numbers to ask questions, the people in other areas get you taken care of. I have only one thing to say, "THANK YOU, CARHOP"!!!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

Getting financed with a low downpayment was the easy part. And at the time of purchase thinking that paying triple the bluebook amount was going to be the worst part of my experience here, I was wrong. I can’t get through to weeks without having to throw a couple hundred dollars into repairs into this vehicle. The warranty I purchased through them was completely worthless, as the warranty company does not speak with customers, all they do is deny any coverage. The majority of the staffing are rude when you need to make payment arrangements, which are almost 100% necessary when you’re investing double the amount of the payment in the vehicle just to keep it running. And now that my loan is up and the vehicle is paid off, I have the title to an old hunk of junk that isn’t worth 10% of what I paid for it. I will never give them my business, and I will do everything to deter other people from shopping here!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I got my car from Lakewood, WA because I had a bad experience with trying to get a car from other people and they made it worst. I got a car and the next day the transmission went out, When I went to pick the car after it was fixed them the car check engine light came on. I went and got a oil change and it went away. They told me to take it to their dealer auto body shop which I did and now they are telling me that there are so many codes coming up that they don't even know how to start to fix the car. The gentleman at the auto body shop was completely honest with me and told me to contact them which I have done. I just want my downpayment back and the money I paid into the car because it rude. They do this to people really in need.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

DO NOT I repeat DO NOT ever go to CarHop to buy a vehicle. They prey on people with no or bad credit. Me and my wife bought a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix for $7,800 and it's really only worth 2,000 at most. And a month after we bought it we had to get the transmission and power steering lines replaced. There is also a hole in our gas tank. Then a few weeks ago as we were driving on the highway it lost all power and we had to pay another $300 to get the fuse box under the hood replace.

And then to top it all off two days ago our driver's blinker stopped working. So now we have to pay at least another $100-150 to take it to an auto shop and get it fixed yet again. CarHop is the worst company to go through to buy a vehicle. All they do is get them running good enough to sell then after you buy it they start to break down immediately. You are better off paying a higher interest rate through a legitimate dealership or even buying a vehicle from someone on Facebook.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Went there and got approved right away. They wouldn’t tell me the price of any vehicles and had to convince the guy to go out and look at the vehicles with me. We asked to take one for a test drive and it didn’t even make it off the lot. I ask if he had any cars that fun decent... His response, ”probably not.” Needless to say we had no deal and walked out.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I bought a 2003 Mitsubishi Diamante from CarHop back in December of 2017. The car drove ok for the first hour after buying it. The engine had a weird smell the first time I turned on the car due to the car just coming out of the shop for a fluid leak. The driver side window also wouldn't roll down. I didn't think of these as being red flags due to being young and a first time car buyer. A couple hours after taking it off the lot, the engine caught fire, the brakes were going out, and the turning became hard to do. The fuel needle also didn't work. The needle was at empty even though the gas tank was full. The car starting shaking and I thought it was gonna die completely.

I ended up taking the car back the next business day and signed the paperwork to give it back. I went through JD Byrider a few months ago and had a much better experience. I got a 2007 Ford Focus from them and I couldn't be happier with it. Got it with really low miles and an all around great car. I only pay $183.00 every other week with a $36.00 insurance premium. My suggestion, avoid CarHop at all costs. If you still need the same kind of help CarHop claims to offer, go to JD Byrider instead. Their reviews aren't all good but definitely better than CarHop.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

CarHop is not very good company and won’t help you to build up to good credit score. 2009 KIA Optima was $11,000 dollars with 109k mileage and limited 18,000 warranty. They got car from bidding and hidden history that report don’t show accident in rear bumper. Don’t care about merchant’s engine and transmission fluids. This car is overpriced. Blue book show value 3,000 dollars. I experienced with new transmission that cost me $900 dollars for labor. And another problems engine with oxygen sensor and camshaft sensor with 50 mileage since new transmission. One guy is honest and advise me.

“Thanks for your note. We sealed your transmission leak. That’s the good news. The bad news is about your engine. The sometimes hard starting/dying problems are due to an intermittent loss of oil pressure, resulting from a worn out timing chain tensioner or timing actuator. It’s a big job to fix (I would guess around $2,000) and is not covered by CarHop. You are out of warranty by both time and mileage. Given the number of miles on your car (245,000!), I would not recommend putting money into repairing your engine. I think it would make more sense - especially given how many miles you’re putting in this car - to replace the engine with a lower mileage used one. That won’t be cheap either (probably ~ $3,000), but at least then you’d have an engine that you could expect to get another 100k miles out of. Make sense?”

Blue book show my car value was $300 dollars with 245k mileage. It is not worth and end and divorce CarHop for good. I found new car 2014 Ford Focus with 26,000 mileage with extra $$$ to 100,000 platinum warranty. The price was 11,500. I recommend you go to see dealership and they will help you and better option than rip off and fraud CarHop.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I got a Pontiac G6 05. A day after I got it the engine light came on then oil then knocking at the engine. I put oil in then it stopped and lights went off. My girlfriend called them and they said take it to one of their shops. They were booked and don't have another car to leave it and they couldn't give us a loaner car so we had to take it. So I said forget it. I just want a different car but couldn't due to they were closed and the next day hit 8 days of me having the car so it was past the return policy that they couldn't do nothing about it to take it to our shop. Then the car was driving fine.

Well I was on the freeway. The oil light came back on. The knocking came back. I got off the freeway. Put two things of oil in and still knocking. We called them. They said, "Take it to our shop." If the warranty don't cover the fix I have to pay for it. We went. They said I need a new engine. It's been 10 days and already need new engine and if it's not covered I gotta pay for it?! So another light came on that. Had a car with a tool inside of it and the power steering acted like it was going out. I shut the car off and looked for where the power steering fluid goes. Couldn't find it so I put oil in and now that light went off and steering is fine but the knocking continues.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

The first time I purchased from CarHop was approximately 2 years ago from Richmond, CA. I am a senior citizen and due to the change in economy I found the need to sell my house because as a single woman I wasn't able to keep up with all expenses on a fixed income while trying to take care of two grandchildren. I had a good experience in Richmond, and even though the car wasn't perfect, I got exactly what was sold to me. I drove my car (2003 Ford Focus) for 2 years, made my payments religiously, and decided to try and upgrade. Unfortunately, the Richmond lot closed and I went to Vallejo. I started on the phone and had a wonderful conversation with a very nice young man.

When I went to finalize the deal he was not in the office and I was well taken care of by a very nice young woman. She brought out a beautiful car (2009 Buick Caliber) with lower payments since my credit score had started to improve. I did test drive the car around Vallejo and everything seemed to be fine. Because of the honesty of the Richmond lot that was all I did. Within a day I received the car. I called CarHop Vallejo because the alignment was really bad and I was having trouble keeping the car on the freeway. I was told I bought a used car and what did I expect. It was not covered by their warranty. Two days later I drove at night and found out the headlights did not work - another non-warranty issue.

I know by the way I sound I may not know a lot about cars. I grew up in a teamster family and helped my father repair cars and have been driving all types of cars (mainly manual transmissions) and trucks and I am not ignorant when it comes to cars. After that I broke down on the freeway due to transmission trouble with my 7 year old granddaughter. I asked to return the car for another within the 5 day period and was told there was nothing comparable. I took the car to one of their shops and was told they couldn't find anything wrong with it and to come back if it happened again.

I had to take it to another shop and now it has been 3 weeks and I will not have my car back for another week. I have had to pay to have my grandchildren taken to school and had to pay for my transportation or walk along with making my $361 car payment on a fixed income. When I called the shop (that is contracted by CarHop) and was upset because of the time they had my car I was told I could get a tow truck and have it towed. Customer service...??

I understand why people go to CarHop and I was totally impressed with my first transaction in Richmond and probably wasn't on my A game in Vallejo. All I can say is to stay on your A game. Don't let a pretty car, or a good salesperson get in the way of what you know is right. I would recommend to anyone trying to buy a car from CarHop is to take your money and save it for 6 months $372 x 6 = $2,232 because you can get the same car for a lot less than making payments. My payments on a 2003 Ford Focus were $372 x 36 = $13,392 which can buy more than a 2003 Ford Focus. I have made two car payments totaling $722 plus paid the extra insurance for having a loan and have only used my car for under 30 days. I will have to keep the car and hopefully this will be the end of my relationship with CarHop.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Went to CarHop, in Topeka, KS after filling out the online credit app with "you’re approved" as the answer. I then went in on 11/30/18 and after they did another credit app and 4 hours of time I test drove a 2006 Buick Rendezvous. It had a low/flat tire and shifted odd but was told it was because it had sat for a while. I drove the 60 miles home and the odometer and Speedometer weren't accurate. I called right away and got told I had to bring it to one of their approved companies.

I took the car in and found out the Transmission was bad. Plus the rack and pinion had to be replaced. 1 week later I took the title back and turned everything in. I got threatened with this showing on my credit as a repo. Then two days later I received call from a CarHop authorized repair company and that along with the 3 items I knew about they also found a bent driveline. Funny that CarHop told repair company that they would not pay to fix that issue. I'm guessing that Cream colored 2006 Buick Rendezvous has some major issues.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

They sold me a car that is mechanically unsound. I have to deal with that. I am disabled and because my monthly pay comes on or about the 15th of each month, I requested a change in my payment due date. CarHop refused and continued to report me every month as being late. My credit report shows me as always being late. So CarHop is not helping me build my credit. I feel trapped. They threaten to disable my car so I cant drive it. I want them to take their piece of crap. At this point I don’t care anymore.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I went to CarHop because my car broke down for the last time, and I thought I had no other choice. There are so many other choices out there for bad or no credit. I did not get to choose a car, the one they gave me was used as an ashtray and was not clean at all. I paid over 11 thousand dollars for a car that was worth 6 thousand in good condition (interior). It had over 134,000 miles on it and after having it 6 months the head gasket blew, the CV joint is bad, the motor mounts are broken and it has major transmission issues. I pay 426 dollars a month for a car that is only worth 6 grand. I can't trade it in.

No one wants a cigarette burned, smelly car with major issues. I can't sell it on my own for the same reason, I can sell for it for around a thousand. I can get into a car that is 9 years newer, low mileage and doesn't smell for under 400 dollars a month. Not because CarHop helped me with my credit. They didn't and don't. I am stuck paying over $11 thousand dollars for a car I can only get $1000 dollars for. I have a lawyer and I am fighting their business practices SO BEWARE!!! Also if you change jobs they are horrible about changing your payment dates to match your new job.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I am a current customer and I love the car I got. It's a great running car it has low miles and the warranty is great. They really help people and their customer service is very professional and friendly. They make you feel like family they care about their customers. I'm referring people to them and I'm staying with them. They are amazing.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Aug 3, 2018 went to CarHop in Spokane Valley, WA to see if I could get approved. They offered a warranty of 18 months or 18k miles was enticing. So the salesman John wanted me to give all my information first before telling you what you're approved for and none of the cars had price tags on them. Red flag #1! I took my teenage daughter to see how car buying is done. And at first we had a great day. Got approved for two cars. One that was so small and a PT Cruiser. So of course I said "yes" because I've owned one before and loved it. But monthly payment was so high $370 and down payment was $500, $100 more for the Cruiser John said. That was weird. So we signed our lives away and believing them the car was safe and reliable. 22 days after driving it, timing belt broke and we fought over towing before they decided to pay for it. 2 days. Then the Cruiser was in the auto shop for three weeks with no loaner offered.

Im disabled as well. So then I get the Cruiser back and within 1 day the car was having issues. There was silver flakes in the radiator and the radiator reservoir was pouring out coolant! I went through a bottle in one day! So I called CarHop and Angelica said to bring it in. They put a junkyard engine in the Cruiser from what autoshop said. Angelica offers me two other options of cars to exchange the Cruiser. I didn't even ask to trade. So I agreed to taking the 2006 Ford Freestar and signed a new contract etc.

In 2 days the van was overheating and engine was loud and shaky! I called them and said "My only option right now is returning the Van and get my full refund"! I brought it in and then they tell me it will take 7-10 days for a refund and the amount I'm getting back! Umm...I gave them $1200 in payments and downs. They sold me crap cars and I have called corporate. I'm done being taking for granted. John there is condescending to women. Steer clear from this CarHop! Even if it's your last resort. I got extremely lucky they owe me money and got out of two car contracts. We will see how much they say is due to me. If it's less than $1200 we will go to court.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

My husband and I had excellent customer service while we were there. We didn't have to wait long. We felt at home there. Jasmine helped us and got us in the car we wanted and made sure we got a great deal. She had really good customer service and was really nice and very helpful to us. Didn't have any issues at all while we were there. I will definitely recommend CarHop and I will definitely be back in the near future!!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

On September 20, 2018, I went into CarHop on Evergreen Way, and purchased a vehicle. The vehicle was $2,800, but marked up to over 9k, with a final payout of over 12k. I knew going in that I was going to be taken to the cleaners, but due to personal circumstances, felt I had no other options. CarHop advertises a 7 day, no hassle, money back guarantee. The vehicle turned out to not fit our immediate family needs. I went back into CarHop on September 22, 2018, and requested they take the vehicle back. Aaron ** was the “salesman,” he immediately got aggressive with me, demanding every reason under the sun, at which point, his coworker joined him. I felt threatened, and responded firmly, they needed to print out whatever I need to sign, so I can be done. They refused.

My husband came in, and they wouldn’t allow him to speak, even after asking him questions. They then demanded we leave, and come back Monday, to deal with the finance person, that they cannot do a return. As we were walking out, Jay ** told my husband, “You should never let her make any decisions on her own.” They were stalling, trying to get me past the 7 day policy. I learned this morning (9/24/18), that the other man in there, Jay **, is the Branch Manager, so they not only bullied me, they also flat out lied to me.

I emailed corporate, and also called. I spoke with a wonderful woman, who was disgusted by their behavior. She contacted the branch, I went in, and the entire tune changed. I signed a piece of paper and was done. The kicker here, is I managed to get financing from a reputable bank, and purchased a brand new SUV. Much lower interest rate, and oddly enough, the same payment. Do not purchase a vehicle from Everett CarHop. Their salesmen treat women like garbage.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

The Chevy Trailblazer was overprice when they sold me the car. We bought 2004 Chevy Trailblazer and it had so much problems on it. They came and got their car and they want us to come get that piece of ** car. The payment was too high.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Purchased a vehicle from CarHop in National City, CA (San Diego County). The engine light was on and we were told to bring it to THEIR mechanic to be fixed. The car had multiple issues after that and is still in the shop. I have made three payments to a car that I am unable to drive. Wanting a car to drive we asked to speak to the manager. A woman dressed down in tight black skinny jeans, tennis shoes, a sweatshirt and hair in a sloppy bun comes into the conference room and has absolutely no empathy for all that we have been going through.

Her solution was "You can get it repoed", "You signed the contract", "It's a used car. What did you expect?" Very unprofessional. Had excuses for everything. She did nothing for us and if this is what CarHop has representing their company, then garbage is exactly what this company is. They take advantage of people who have been turned down elsewhere. The interior of their cars is disgusting and their warranty doesn't cover things that are serious or safety issues. Car hunter beware!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Carhop/Hayward - I was buying a vehicle from this low-life outfit three years ago and had no problem with financing. Lo, and behold, making more money now and got denied because of not enough income. Not to mention the ** sales staff. One person trying to handle four or five customers while the fat ** man sits behind a desk looking out the window. Amazing they can sell anything, much less a vehicle. All negative reviews you have read are totally correct. This place should be placed on the "worst place to buy a car" list.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

My son and I both purchase cars from CARHOP and both are duds. He had his car less than 1 month and I had my car for 6 months. My sons car will not even turn on. My car has major electrical issues and it sounds like the bottom is going to fall out at any minute, just to name a few issues. They have the worse customer service ever. STAY AWAY!!!

Original review: July 25, 2018

Ok first of all we weren’t even greeted by any employee of carhop. When we did make our way inside after looking at all five vehicles they offered we were told that the payment options were 350-450 a month on all their vehicles. After filling out the application and was approved . We were told that all we qualified for was a 07 Ford Focus for 450 a month lmfao!!! Needless to say we left. We went to Colorado Springs Phil Long and my wife and I are so happy we did! Vanessa was so helpful they got us in a 2018 Elantra!!! Did I mention the monthly payment is lower than CarHops lol!!! Thanks CarHop. We couldn’t have done it without you. Hahahahahhahaahhaa!!!

Original review: July 18, 2018

We were driving on a highway and our front brakes locked up. My husband looked at them and it was their tracking device. They had zip tied the tracking device and it had come loose and lodged itself in the brakes. It was over 90° and we had our 2 yr old granddaughter with us. We are both disabled and had to walk over a mile to get home. We called CarHop, told them what happened and that it was their fault and they need to fix it. We had to threaten calling an attorney before they would even look at it. Now they are saying it will be 2 weeks before we get our vehicle back. They were talking to us like we were liars. They are rude and don't care about their customers after the sale is made. DO NOT PURCHASE FROM CARHOP!!!

Original review: July 14, 2018

I went through CarHop to purchase a vehicle. I was told my payments would be 150 a month. That was a lie. I paid 500 down for a 2006 Chevy Impala that cost me 14,600. I have had to replace two mufflers now. It rains in my car and they told me I would have to pay for their mechanic to take a look at it. Why are they able to sell cars for so much and they're not worth it? They rip people off. I feel like they should repair these cars before they try and sell them. I have two children and there is mold growing inside this car from when it rains and floods on the passenger side. I dont feel like I should be able to keep this car. It's a health hazard. I would never recommend anyone to go to these guys. It's 2018 and they're still getting away with this crap. I can't afford to pay them 354 a month for a car. I can't drive if it rains. How does the government let them get away with this for so long?

Original review: June 13, 2018

I had the worst experience with CarHop, their customer service is rude, also I bought a car from them that stopped working a couple months after I got it and they do not want to help me but want me to continue to pay my car note. I have been hung up on by customer service as well as not getting the service I need. They are the worst company and I regret even getting a car from them.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I think CarHop is not the best place to buy a car that you can’t trust him to buy sell you a car that doesn’t need $1 million worth of work. The second you drive out of the lot with it there’s no warranty with their stuff that says it’s not gonna break down within six months. Their warranty doesn’t stand up to anything. When you take it in and have their mechanics look at it and find the problems, they come back and go, "Oh it’s not covered under warranty," and then you’re left with nothing but a car that doesn’t work, you paid $1 million for, that’s no good to nobody else wants. CarHop does not stand behind their product, does not stand behind your word and does not sell a very honorable good product.

CarHop Auto Sales and Financing Company Information