Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

209 CarHop Auto Sales and Financing Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I got my car from Lakewood, WA because I had a bad experience with trying to get a car from other people and they made it worst. I got a car and the next day the transmission went out, When I went to pick the car after it was fixed them the car check engine light came on. I went and got a oil change and it went away. They told me to take it to their dealer auto body shop which I did and now they are telling me that there are so many codes coming up that they don't even know how to start to fix the car. The gentleman at the auto body shop was completely honest with me and told me to contact them which I have done. I just want my downpayment back and the money I paid into the car because it rude. They do this to people really in need.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

DO NOT I repeat DO NOT ever go to CarHop to buy a vehicle. They prey on people with no or bad credit. Me and my wife bought a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix for $7,800 and it's really only worth 2,000 at most. And a month after we bought it we had to get the transmission and power steering lines replaced. There is also a hole in our gas tank. Then a few weeks ago as we were driving on the highway it lost all power and we had to pay another $300 to get the fuse box under the hood replace.

And then to top it all off two days ago our driver's blinker stopped working. So now we have to pay at least another $100-150 to take it to an auto shop and get it fixed yet again. CarHop is the worst company to go through to buy a vehicle. All they do is get them running good enough to sell then after you buy it they start to break down immediately. You are better off paying a higher interest rate through a legitimate dealership or even buying a vehicle from someone on Facebook.

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Went there and got approved right away. They wouldn’t tell me the price of any vehicles and had to convince the guy to go out and look at the vehicles with me. We asked to take one for a test drive and it didn’t even make it off the lot. I ask if he had any cars that fun decent... His response, ”probably not.” Needless to say we had no deal and walked out.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I bought a 2003 Mitsubishi Diamante from CarHop back in December of 2017. The car drove ok for the first hour after buying it. The engine had a weird smell the first time I turned on the car due to the car just coming out of the shop for a fluid leak. The driver side window also wouldn't roll down. I didn't think of these as being red flags due to being young and a first time car buyer. A couple hours after taking it off the lot, the engine caught fire, the brakes were going out, and the turning became hard to do. The fuel needle also didn't work. The needle was at empty even though the gas tank was full. The car starting shaking and I thought it was gonna die completely.

I ended up taking the car back the next business day and signed the paperwork to give it back. I went through JD Byrider a few months ago and had a much better experience. I got a 2007 Ford Focus from them and I couldn't be happier with it. Got it with really low miles and an all around great car. I only pay $183.00 every other week with a $36.00 insurance premium. My suggestion, avoid CarHop at all costs. If you still need the same kind of help CarHop claims to offer, go to JD Byrider instead. Their reviews aren't all good but definitely better than CarHop.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

CarHop is not very good company and won’t help you to build up to good credit score. 2009 KIA Optima was $11,000 dollars with 109k mileage and limited 18,000 warranty. They got car from bidding and hidden history that report don’t show accident in rear bumper. Don’t care about merchant’s engine and transmission fluids. This car is overpriced. Blue book show value 3,000 dollars. I experienced with new transmission that cost me $900 dollars for labor. And another problems engine with oxygen sensor and camshaft sensor with 50 mileage since new transmission. One guy is honest and advise me.

“Thanks for your note. We sealed your transmission leak. That’s the good news. The bad news is about your engine. The sometimes hard starting/dying problems are due to an intermittent loss of oil pressure, resulting from a worn out timing chain tensioner or timing actuator. It’s a big job to fix (I would guess around $2,000) and is not covered by CarHop. You are out of warranty by both time and mileage. Given the number of miles on your car (245,000!), I would not recommend putting money into repairing your engine. I think it would make more sense - especially given how many miles you’re putting in this car - to replace the engine with a lower mileage used one. That won’t be cheap either (probably ~ $3,000), but at least then you’d have an engine that you could expect to get another 100k miles out of. Make sense?”

Blue book show my car value was $300 dollars with 245k mileage. It is not worth and end and divorce CarHop for good. I found new car 2014 Ford Focus with 26,000 mileage with extra $$$ to 100,000 platinum warranty. The price was 11,500. I recommend you go to see dealership and they will help you and better option than rip off and fraud CarHop.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarHop Auto Sales and Financing?

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I got a Pontiac G6 05. A day after I got it the engine light came on then oil then knocking at the engine. I put oil in then it stopped and lights went off. My girlfriend called them and they said take it to one of their shops. They were booked and don't have another car to leave it and they couldn't give us a loaner car so we had to take it. So I said forget it. I just want a different car but couldn't due to they were closed and the next day hit 8 days of me having the car so it was past the return policy that they couldn't do nothing about it to take it to our shop. Then the car was driving fine.

Well I was on the freeway. The oil light came back on. The knocking came back. I got off the freeway. Put two things of oil in and still knocking. We called them. They said, "Take it to our shop." If the warranty don't cover the fix I have to pay for it. We went. They said I need a new engine. It's been 10 days and already need new engine and if it's not covered I gotta pay for it?! So another light came on that. Had a car with a tool inside of it and the power steering acted like it was going out. I shut the car off and looked for where the power steering fluid goes. Couldn't find it so I put oil in and now that light went off and steering is fine but the knocking continues.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

The first time I purchased from CarHop was approximately 2 years ago from Richmond, CA. I am a senior citizen and due to the change in economy I found the need to sell my house because as a single woman I wasn't able to keep up with all expenses on a fixed income while trying to take care of two grandchildren. I had a good experience in Richmond, and even though the car wasn't perfect, I got exactly what was sold to me. I drove my car (2003 Ford Focus) for 2 years, made my payments religiously, and decided to try and upgrade. Unfortunately, the Richmond lot closed and I went to Vallejo. I started on the phone and had a wonderful conversation with a very nice young man.

When I went to finalize the deal he was not in the office and I was well taken care of by a very nice young woman. She brought out a beautiful car (2009 Buick Caliber) with lower payments since my credit score had started to improve. I did test drive the car around Vallejo and everything seemed to be fine. Because of the honesty of the Richmond lot that was all I did. Within a day I received the car. I called CarHop Vallejo because the alignment was really bad and I was having trouble keeping the car on the freeway. I was told I bought a used car and what did I expect. It was not covered by their warranty. Two days later I drove at night and found out the headlights did not work - another non-warranty issue.

I know by the way I sound I may not know a lot about cars. I grew up in a teamster family and helped my father repair cars and have been driving all types of cars (mainly manual transmissions) and trucks and I am not ignorant when it comes to cars. After that I broke down on the freeway due to transmission trouble with my 7 year old granddaughter. I asked to return the car for another within the 5 day period and was told there was nothing comparable. I took the car to one of their shops and was told they couldn't find anything wrong with it and to come back if it happened again.

I had to take it to another shop and now it has been 3 weeks and I will not have my car back for another week. I have had to pay to have my grandchildren taken to school and had to pay for my transportation or walk along with making my $361 car payment on a fixed income. When I called the shop (that is contracted by CarHop) and was upset because of the time they had my car I was told I could get a tow truck and have it towed. Customer service...??

I understand why people go to CarHop and I was totally impressed with my first transaction in Richmond and probably wasn't on my A game in Vallejo. All I can say is to stay on your A game. Don't let a pretty car, or a good salesperson get in the way of what you know is right. I would recommend to anyone trying to buy a car from CarHop is to take your money and save it for 6 months $372 x 6 = $2,232 because you can get the same car for a lot less than making payments. My payments on a 2003 Ford Focus were $372 x 36 = $13,392 which can buy more than a 2003 Ford Focus. I have made two car payments totaling $722 plus paid the extra insurance for having a loan and have only used my car for under 30 days. I will have to keep the car and hopefully this will be the end of my relationship with CarHop.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Went to CarHop, in Topeka, KS after filling out the online credit app with "you’re approved" as the answer. I then went in on 11/30/18 and after they did another credit app and 4 hours of time I test drove a 2006 Buick Rendezvous. It had a low/flat tire and shifted odd but was told it was because it had sat for a while. I drove the 60 miles home and the odometer and Speedometer weren't accurate. I called right away and got told I had to bring it to one of their approved companies.

I took the car in and found out the Transmission was bad. Plus the rack and pinion had to be replaced. 1 week later I took the title back and turned everything in. I got threatened with this showing on my credit as a repo. Then two days later I received call from a CarHop authorized repair company and that along with the 3 items I knew about they also found a bent driveline. Funny that CarHop told repair company that they would not pay to fix that issue. I'm guessing that Cream colored 2006 Buick Rendezvous has some major issues.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

They sold me a car that is mechanically unsound. I have to deal with that. I am disabled and because my monthly pay comes on or about the 15th of each month, I requested a change in my payment due date. CarHop refused and continued to report me every month as being late. My credit report shows me as always being late. So CarHop is not helping me build my credit. I feel trapped. They threaten to disable my car so I cant drive it. I want them to take their piece of crap. At this point I don’t care anymore.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I went to CarHop because my car broke down for the last time, and I thought I had no other choice. There are so many other choices out there for bad or no credit. I did not get to choose a car, the one they gave me was used as an ashtray and was not clean at all. I paid over 11 thousand dollars for a car that was worth 6 thousand in good condition (interior). It had over 134,000 miles on it and after having it 6 months the head gasket blew, the CV joint is bad, the motor mounts are broken and it has major transmission issues. I pay 426 dollars a month for a car that is only worth 6 grand. I can't trade it in.

No one wants a cigarette burned, smelly car with major issues. I can't sell it on my own for the same reason, I can sell for it for around a thousand. I can get into a car that is 9 years newer, low mileage and doesn't smell for under 400 dollars a month. Not because CarHop helped me with my credit. They didn't and don't. I am stuck paying over $11 thousand dollars for a car I can only get $1000 dollars for. I have a lawyer and I am fighting their business practices SO BEWARE!!! Also if you change jobs they are horrible about changing your payment dates to match your new job.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I am a current customer and I love the car I got. It's a great running car it has low miles and the warranty is great. They really help people and their customer service is very professional and friendly. They make you feel like family they care about their customers. I'm referring people to them and I'm staying with them. They are amazing.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Aug 3, 2018 went to CarHop in Spokane Valley, WA to see if I could get approved. They offered a warranty of 18 months or 18k miles was enticing. So the salesman John wanted me to give all my information first before telling you what you're approved for and none of the cars had price tags on them. Red flag #1! I took my teenage daughter to see how car buying is done. And at first we had a great day. Got approved for two cars. One that was so small and a PT Cruiser. So of course I said "yes" because I've owned one before and loved it. But monthly payment was so high $370 and down payment was $500, $100 more for the Cruiser John said. That was weird. So we signed our lives away and believing them the car was safe and reliable. 22 days after driving it, timing belt broke and we fought over towing before they decided to pay for it. 2 days. Then the Cruiser was in the auto shop for three weeks with no loaner offered.

Im disabled as well. So then I get the Cruiser back and within 1 day the car was having issues. There was silver flakes in the radiator and the radiator reservoir was pouring out coolant! I went through a bottle in one day! So I called CarHop and Angelica said to bring it in. They put a junkyard engine in the Cruiser from what autoshop said. Angelica offers me two other options of cars to exchange the Cruiser. I didn't even ask to trade. So I agreed to taking the 2006 Ford Freestar and signed a new contract etc.

In 2 days the van was overheating and engine was loud and shaky! I called them and said "My only option right now is returning the Van and get my full refund"! I brought it in and then they tell me it will take 7-10 days for a refund and the amount I'm getting back! Umm...I gave them $1200 in payments and downs. They sold me crap cars and I have called corporate. I'm done being taking for granted. John there is condescending to women. Steer clear from this CarHop! Even if it's your last resort. I got extremely lucky they owe me money and got out of two car contracts. We will see how much they say is due to me. If it's less than $1200 we will go to court.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

My husband and I had excellent customer service while we were there. We didn't have to wait long. We felt at home there. Jasmine helped us and got us in the car we wanted and made sure we got a great deal. She had really good customer service and was really nice and very helpful to us. Didn't have any issues at all while we were there. I will definitely recommend CarHop and I will definitely be back in the near future!!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

On September 20, 2018, I went into CarHop on Evergreen Way, and purchased a vehicle. The vehicle was $2,800, but marked up to over 9k, with a final payout of over 12k. I knew going in that I was going to be taken to the cleaners, but due to personal circumstances, felt I had no other options. CarHop advertises a 7 day, no hassle, money back guarantee. The vehicle turned out to not fit our immediate family needs. I went back into CarHop on September 22, 2018, and requested they take the vehicle back. Aaron ** was the “salesman,” he immediately got aggressive with me, demanding every reason under the sun, at which point, his coworker joined him. I felt threatened, and responded firmly, they needed to print out whatever I need to sign, so I can be done. They refused.

My husband came in, and they wouldn’t allow him to speak, even after asking him questions. They then demanded we leave, and come back Monday, to deal with the finance person, that they cannot do a return. As we were walking out, Jay ** told my husband, “You should never let her make any decisions on her own.” They were stalling, trying to get me past the 7 day policy. I learned this morning (9/24/18), that the other man in there, Jay **, is the Branch Manager, so they not only bullied me, they also flat out lied to me.

I emailed corporate, and also called. I spoke with a wonderful woman, who was disgusted by their behavior. She contacted the branch, I went in, and the entire tune changed. I signed a piece of paper and was done. The kicker here, is I managed to get financing from a reputable bank, and purchased a brand new SUV. Much lower interest rate, and oddly enough, the same payment. Do not purchase a vehicle from Everett CarHop. Their salesmen treat women like garbage.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

The Chevy Trailblazer was overprice when they sold me the car. We bought 2004 Chevy Trailblazer and it had so much problems on it. They came and got their car and they want us to come get that piece of ** car. The payment was too high.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Purchased a vehicle from CarHop in National City, CA (San Diego County). The engine light was on and we were told to bring it to THEIR mechanic to be fixed. The car had multiple issues after that and is still in the shop. I have made three payments to a car that I am unable to drive. Wanting a car to drive we asked to speak to the manager. A woman dressed down in tight black skinny jeans, tennis shoes, a sweatshirt and hair in a sloppy bun comes into the conference room and has absolutely no empathy for all that we have been going through.

Her solution was "You can get it repoed", "You signed the contract", "It's a used car. What did you expect?" Very unprofessional. Had excuses for everything. She did nothing for us and if this is what CarHop has representing their company, then garbage is exactly what this company is. They take advantage of people who have been turned down elsewhere. The interior of their cars is disgusting and their warranty doesn't cover things that are serious or safety issues. Car hunter beware!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Carhop/Hayward - I was buying a vehicle from this low-life outfit three years ago and had no problem with financing. Lo, and behold, making more money now and got denied because of not enough income. Not to mention the ** sales staff. One person trying to handle four or five customers while the fat ** man sits behind a desk looking out the window. Amazing they can sell anything, much less a vehicle. All negative reviews you have read are totally correct. This place should be placed on the "worst place to buy a car" list.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

My son and I both purchase cars from CARHOP and both are duds. He had his car less than 1 month and I had my car for 6 months. My sons car will not even turn on. My car has major electrical issues and it sounds like the bottom is going to fall out at any minute, just to name a few issues. They have the worse customer service ever. STAY AWAY!!!

Original review: July 25, 2018

Ok first of all we weren’t even greeted by any employee of carhop. When we did make our way inside after looking at all five vehicles they offered we were told that the payment options were 350-450 a month on all their vehicles. After filling out the application and was approved . We were told that all we qualified for was a 07 Ford Focus for 450 a month lmfao!!! Needless to say we left. We went to Colorado Springs Phil Long and my wife and I are so happy we did! Vanessa was so helpful they got us in a 2018 Elantra!!! Did I mention the monthly payment is lower than CarHops lol!!! Thanks CarHop. We couldn’t have done it without you. Hahahahahhahaahhaa!!!

Original review: July 18, 2018

We were driving on a highway and our front brakes locked up. My husband looked at them and it was their tracking device. They had zip tied the tracking device and it had come loose and lodged itself in the brakes. It was over 90° and we had our 2 yr old granddaughter with us. We are both disabled and had to walk over a mile to get home. We called CarHop, told them what happened and that it was their fault and they need to fix it. We had to threaten calling an attorney before they would even look at it. Now they are saying it will be 2 weeks before we get our vehicle back. They were talking to us like we were liars. They are rude and don't care about their customers after the sale is made. DO NOT PURCHASE FROM CARHOP!!!

Original review: July 14, 2018

I went through CarHop to purchase a vehicle. I was told my payments would be 150 a month. That was a lie. I paid 500 down for a 2006 Chevy Impala that cost me 14,600. I have had to replace two mufflers now. It rains in my car and they told me I would have to pay for their mechanic to take a look at it. Why are they able to sell cars for so much and they're not worth it? They rip people off. I feel like they should repair these cars before they try and sell them. I have two children and there is mold growing inside this car from when it rains and floods on the passenger side. I dont feel like I should be able to keep this car. It's a health hazard. I would never recommend anyone to go to these guys. It's 2018 and they're still getting away with this crap. I can't afford to pay them 354 a month for a car. I can't drive if it rains. How does the government let them get away with this for so long?

Original review: June 13, 2018

I had the worst experience with CarHop, their customer service is rude, also I bought a car from them that stopped working a couple months after I got it and they do not want to help me but want me to continue to pay my car note. I have been hung up on by customer service as well as not getting the service I need. They are the worst company and I regret even getting a car from them.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I think CarHop is not the best place to buy a car that you can’t trust him to buy sell you a car that doesn’t need $1 million worth of work. The second you drive out of the lot with it there’s no warranty with their stuff that says it’s not gonna break down within six months. Their warranty doesn’t stand up to anything. When you take it in and have their mechanics look at it and find the problems, they come back and go, "Oh it’s not covered under warranty," and then you’re left with nothing but a car that doesn’t work, you paid $1 million for, that’s no good to nobody else wants. CarHop does not stand behind their product, does not stand behind your word and does not sell a very honorable good product.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I bought a car from CarHop and I have never drove it. First thing that CarHop car could not pass emissions test and I live in Colorado were it's eligo illegal to sell a car that can't pass emissions and I left the car at their shops that they told me to take it to. I had four times the Car Hop Car didn't pass emissions and the plates ran out so I had to go to get a paper plates again for the 2 time and the whole time after I bought the car they knew it was a junk. They were fixing it and the car they tried to get a emissions and they knew that it would not pass. They cannot sell a car that can't pass emissions test in COLORADO. Once again they made me give them a star. In the TRUTH they have no STAR. Go and get a car from Financing COMPANY. Capital One that is really great place to start building up your credit score and then get you a credit card for stuff like anything going wrong with the car plus it's a credit score builder and they keep their word.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I purchase a Mercury Sable 2002. At first they promise that it has good mileage and will last long according to Jay, but three months later the car broke down. I hired a local mechanic to fix it and he said the muffler was filled with dirt, we had to drain everything inside it. I had not gone to work since I had issue with it and I had to skip the payments in order to get the car fixed. So on CarHop send me multiple of emails day by day to do the amount of payment for them and that they will have to disable the car. Further on, I manage to make the payments and had the car fixed but then after for 2 months it start to die on me, it can run only 20 mph and burns often. I had to buy coolant and had to rest the car to cool down in the middle of the streets sometimes not knowing where I am. I had to tow the car to outside my apartments and it park for a couple of weeks receiving parking tickets.

I was stress. The car was disable. I was unable to move it from there and not to mention I had to skip payments. They called me and email me saying they have options for my situation but as I went to carhop they were harsh they only ask for my payments and when I told them I don't have the money cause I missed couple of days work they said I should borrow money from friends and family and they also told me the reason why I had issues with the car is 'I Drive Too Much'. Bad service. They only want to take advantage of people. I have receive a final email for the settlement with amount of money they want from me so they can leave me alone. The car has been repo and on auction.

Original review: April 13, 2018

This company sells cars that in no way will you be able to refinance because they sell their vehicles for over 5 times what the car is worth and they say pay bills on time and then refinance at lower rate. Right. Who is going to finance a $2000 car for $15000. I was told that it was a 2 year contract and with bad credit I had no choice. My car was broke down and watch desperate while these vultures feed on that and ripped me off, chewed me up and ** me out. It is unbelievable. Well I just read that they will sell my car for $10 and seeing as the car is paid off by any right. They got their money and then they sell it to someone else for the same amount.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Purchased a vehicle a week ago and spent an more than an hour going over our contract, what's covered, what isn't, etc. Car broke down this morning while in the middle of the school commute. 5 kids and my wife stranded on the highway during rush hour, and no one available through the warranty department to figure out where to tow the vehicle. My family was left abandoned on the side of the road after they groomed us into believing we drove away with a safe and reliably inspected car. Still haven't received a return call. When I called the number on the card they gave, the woman who answered said she worked on the financial end and couldn't help me get through to talk to the Warranty department. Extremely upset and plan to take further action. I don't have time to jump through hoops.

Original review: April 2, 2018

Carhop, Maplewood MN - I bought a Jeep back in 2012. 6 months later it broke down on me and it took 4 months before we could fix it and it costed us 1,860.00 to fix out of our pocket. So we got it back a month later. 4 months later the Jeep would not start and we could not figure out why we made our payments even when the vehicle was broke down. 2 months go by and the Jeep still would not start so we called CarHop and told them we no longer want the Jeep because it will not start, one in a half months they come pick it up after we defaulted on our payment back in 2014. Now it's 2018. 1 year away from it being 7 years. We are now getting sued from a collection agency. Oh and they sent it to auction and we only made 59.00 off the Jeep to get put towards what was still owed. Has anyone been through this situation before? If so please email me **. I need as much information as I can possible get. Our hearing is in May.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I was looking for a car to get me to work. I went to CarHop and met Marcus. He was amazing. He picked a great car. He even did his best to make sure it was right. I will only go through him for cars???

Original review: March 23, 2018

Purchased a 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer edition with 140k miles. Ran great for a very short period of time. Had to have Tranny replaced and 2 months after fixing that the engine went out. Mind you CarHop wanted 13k for this vehicle. Knowing what I know now about financing I would've never purchased the overpriced lemon. Happy to say the vehicle is paid off and I will never shop, recommend, or step foot in one of their so called shops.

CarHop Auto Sales and Financing Company Information