Find a Car Dealerships partner

Autotrader.com

3.9/5 (284 ratings)
Find a Car Dealerships partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Autotrader.com

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Autotrader.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Autotrader.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Autotrader?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

My experience with Autotrader hasn't always been positive. But the team I've been communicating with recently actually listens to your requests and goes above and beyond to make changes that improve your dealer site and inventory - which is extremely important because it's essentially the face of your business online. Nick **, my account rep is always available and eager to help. Every conversation I've had with him ends stress-free and my issue/request resolved. David(?) in Support/Sales was extremely helpful, relaxed and knowledgeable. He took time to explain the why behind their site rather than just pitching the upsell. Because of the two gentlemen above, Autotrader has by far been the best experience for advertising cars we've had.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

The website is purely designed to dealers, I spend $50 to advertise my used car as private seller, but the tools are not friendly at all, I had pretty much just 1 message (compared to competitor that I got 15 + sold my car), you don't receive a note when you got a message neither to navigate and manage your ad is not easy. Sounds like they encourage you to give your call to a dealer (which all of us know that is another challenge). So my overall rating here is 1 star, do not recommend use Autotrader to private seller.

Get buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

Went on 8/7/21 to look at a car that was advertised for $4999.00. The salesman that helped us was Cory. Said the car was being sold by John **. That it was his Aunt’s car. We made a offer of $4500.00. On Monday 8/9/21 Cory texted me and said that they would only take the $4999.00 Firm. So I texted him back and said we would be there between 4-4:30. He said they would be there. Then as we are getting ready to leave I get a text saying that they sold it. That someone offered them more money. Yeah, when you repost it for more money. Shady shady shady!!! This is why used car sales get such a bad name. I definitely would not recommend anyone using them and if they do this I wonder what they hide on these cars. Also, when you test drive it there was no oil in the engine. NONE. I believe that John ** Cimino was behind all of this bad business.

Original review: July 5, 2021

When I listed my car for sale, I based the asking price on what other sellers listed for. I came to realize that for private sellers, the site doesn't give the same "Great Price" or "Good Price" tag unless it's listed for much lower than what dealers list for. Example: A vehicle listed by a dealer for $35k with 35,000 miles will get a "Great Price" tag whereas a private seller listing same vehicle (year, make, model, trim level) with lower miles and lower asking price. Will not get the same tag. My same listing had no tag indicating great or good price. Only when I reduced asking price by $3k, was my ad tagged as a "Great Price." KBB gives private sellers a false sense of value in their vehicles, then AutoTrader charges $49 to list on their site.

I eventually sold my vehicle (well under KBB value) but could've just went to CarMax or Carvana for an almost equivalent offer without having to go through the whole process of coordinating showings, test drives, flakey customers or non serious buyers. At the very least, AutoTrader should treat all their clients with the same benefit regardless if they're a dealer or private seller.

Original review: April 30, 2021

The car was listed briefly a couple of days but had to remove it as I ultimately never won the car auction (back in January). Upon contacting support, they refused to issue a refund, or even change the car advert to the vehicle I actually own. In essence, I made a card payment of £50, and they provided absolutely nothing, just keeping the money! They couldn't care less about customer service during lockdown either, completely opportunistic behaviour. Laughable and atrocious policy - I'm simply shocked a company of this size would seek to retain money in such a deceitful and dirty manner. Have filed a complaint with the Ombudsman.

Original review: April 12, 2021

From start to finish a great place to buy vehicle. Customer service is super. They do everything they can to get you in the perfect vehicle. They answer all your questions to the end result. After your purchase they make sure it is to your 100% satisfaction. Purchase your next vehicle here.

Original review: March 28, 2021

Autotrader is where you can see 100s of vehicle fast and easy. Screening tools help you see only what your looking for or you can make it more expansive. The virtual tours give you that test drive feeling. I have bought and sold several cars, motorcycles and boats over the years and it has always been a pleasant experience.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

Closing my account. Autotrader is fake heartless people and racist because my name not what fits in your business and you can't bear that people like us do well. They only care for themself. Look down at people like us because of our name.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

A lot of the trucks we looked at were at low-end, used dealerships or they did not have the vehicle listed when we called or drove over. We ended up buying a truck from a local dealership. We ran into bait and switch ads often using this site.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

This is the worst site to sell a vehicle. 1. We can’t respond to sellers. We can’t edit the ad. 2. The pictures we posted are gone and now it takes you to two car dealerships. 4. We can’t delete the ad. 5. Had a tech guy work on this and he couldn’t do it. 6. Customer service is only a request to send an email. 7. Finally called the Quebec number. They said, “We have no customer service in Alberta!!” Truer words were never said.

Autotrader author review by Emma Simon

Autotrader has millions of vehicles to choose from. The Car Research and Review section of the site helps car buyers calculate how much they can afford to spend on a car. The site is also full of helpful educational resources to inform users on every aspect of buying and selling a car, including finding the right insurance, tips for getting a car sold and comparison photos. In addition to buying vehicles, you can also sell or trade in your car on the site.

• Dozens of search filters: The Autotrader search is second to none. Dozens of filters let users be as picky as they like.

• Apps for iOS and Android: The two Autotrader apps get great reviews from users. Create a personal account and access your saved searches and vehicles from any other mobile device or computer.

• Financing through LendingTree: Autotrader works with LendingTree, an online loan broker, to help you find the best financing for your car purchase.

• Car insurance by Geico: Autotrader has partnered with Geico to help you look for car insurance that protects you from the moment you drive off the lot.

• Bulk of cars sold through professional dealers: It can sometimes be tricky to buy a car from a private dealer. Most of Autotrader’s listings are through professional dealers, which lets you find reviews online and work with a reputable seller.

by Emma Simon ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Emma Simon is dedicated to creating accurate and valuable content that helps consumers make difficult decisions.

Autotrader.com Company Information