Autotrader.com

Autotrader.com

2.4/5 (106 ratings)
Find a Car Dealerships partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Autotrader.com

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Autotrader.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Autotrader.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Autotrader?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

Just like another car sales website, plenty of scammers and tire kickers and few legitimate buyers. I sold my car on Facebook for FREE…Could have used this wasted money for a good meal for the wife and myself. Might as well have thrown my money out the window which is why I’m giving them a 1/5 and that other cars website got a 2/5. At least their useless service costs what you get out of it…Nothing.

Actually if I based it on results Autotrader really deserves a 0/5… Worse than useless as you actually took my hard earned money to get zero results. Yet 1/5 is as low as I can go. I will never, ever use them again, don’t think I got a single legitimately interested person. Again FB not only found my buyer for free but many other legitimate people contacted me. NOT A SINGLE LEGITIMATELY SERIOUS BUYER CONTACTED ME in the same time I sold it on FB…Several weeks.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2022

I posted on Autotrader.com thinking my ad may reach more people than Craigslist or marketplace. Well, I was wrong. Autotrader states that they filter out who messages you. If that is the case, I cant tell. The only messages I have received have been scammers. Save your money, and if you have already wasted it on Autotrader, demand they give a refund.

Get buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

I listed my used car on Autotrader. I sold it in about a week, but Autotrader was not a good investment. I wouldn't have minded paying $49 if I got legitimate leads, but the only folks who contacted me were scammers and dealers who wanted to purchase the car cheap. I also listed on Facebook and Craigslist, and I got more contacts from Craigslist than any other. Don't bother with Autotrader. I wish a bunch of us could do a class action lawsuit based on similar comments from others.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

Spent $49 to list my car on Autotrader. Did not receive a single legitimate contact; every message received was from a scammer. First they tell you that they don't respond to the Autotrader emails, and ask you to contact them directly. Then when you do you get a message like this: (I've received at least 10 messages like this.) "I'm currently not in town for now, so I won't be able to meet with you due to my work frame. I will be making payment via Certified bank check and will be delivered to you in 1-2 days. I don't mind adding extra $30 for you to hold the vehicle for me. Kindly get back to me with your Full name, Full Address, Last Asking price & Phone Number. I will also make arrangement for the pickup as soon as the check clear your bank." I contacted the Autotrader fraud department but received a canned response. Don't waste your time. There are better ways to sell a car.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

I paid my 49.00 for an ad. Looked for the ad many times over 5 days and never found it. Only dealerships selling cars are shown. I sent three emails to company with no response. Do not trust this company. Now I have to go to my CC company to fight it. Scammers.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

I was able to see past the janky functionality of the website & app, and even the $50 listing fee if the site actually got me real leads. The only messages I received were from scammers. I got zero interest from real buyers! I did better with OfferUp, Facebook Marketplace, and Craigslist. If I'm going to have to deal with scammers, I'll use Craigslist, for $5 and least I'll get some real buyers on there. Save your money. Autotrader is washed up. They can at least use their listing fees to pay some developers to make their site work.

Original review: July 28, 2022

I don't even mind having wasted 49 USD to get an insight of how bad this online "service" is managed. After getting strange ads offering full asking price without seeing the car, if I just kindly remove it asap, it was removed without my permission and NOT by me. After reporting to "fraudwatch"@autotrader, I needed to call them only to hear that they wanted proof of title. Next thing I know I see, my ad got marked SOLD (?? Not by me, either). Further, after uploading a proof of title the ad was still removed "pending review" and remains that way even after 48 hours. Please, somebody help us running this outfit out of business! Now, 3 days later, ad is still "under review". Now a question: who would most likely benefit by removing this ad??

Original review: July 16, 2022

Maybe some people find real buyers on this site but I the responses I received were from bots and scammers. Beware of seller trying to send a certified check and have you ship a car to him. This is a scam. Your bank will initial accept the check and then get the money back from you when it turns out the check is fake.

Original review: July 15, 2022

Used to think Auto Trader was a decent place to sell a car back in the day when they had an actual magazine out. Now online only, Turns out they bury your listing under 1000s of listing from dealers. Only responses I received were from Bots, not one responded to my response. This site is a true waste of time. If you're looking to buy it may be a different story but be cautious. My effort for a refund failed, not even a discussion. I will spread the word that this site is not worth trying.

Original review: July 11, 2022

Not only did Autotrader take 4 days to post my car for sale but the only responses I received were scammers. 4 Different names but same email address. Only offered a check for more than my asking price. I send a gift card for the difference. No thank you. I should of listened to my friend. It's a waste of $50.

Autotrader author review by Emma Simon

Autotrader has millions of vehicles to choose from. The Car Research and Review section of the site helps car buyers calculate how much they can afford to spend on a car. The site is also full of helpful educational resources to inform users on every aspect of buying and selling a car, including finding the right insurance, tips for getting a car sold and comparison photos. In addition to buying vehicles, you can also sell or trade in your car on the site.

• Dozens of search filters: The Autotrader search is second to none. Dozens of filters let users be as picky as they like.

• Apps for iOS and Android: The two Autotrader apps get great reviews from users. Create a personal account and access your saved searches and vehicles from any other mobile device or computer.

• Financing through LendingTree: Autotrader works with LendingTree, an online loan broker, to help you find the best financing for your car purchase.

• Car insurance by Geico: Autotrader has partnered with Geico to help you look for car insurance that protects you from the moment you drive off the lot.

• Bulk of cars sold through professional dealers: It can sometimes be tricky to buy a car from a private dealer. Most of Autotrader’s listings are through professional dealers, which lets you find reviews online and work with a reputable seller.

by Emma Simon ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Emma Simon is dedicated to creating accurate and valuable content that helps consumers make difficult decisions.

Autotrader.com Company Information