Autotrader.com

Autotrader.com

3.2/5 (680 ratings)

About Autotrader.com

Autotrader.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Autotrader?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2023

We tried to sell our car on Autotrader and like everyone else, we just received responses from scammers who were too busy to see the car but they were happy to send a cashier's check plus $500 if we would hold the car and send them our personal information. So disappointing! We did not receive one legitimate response and took the ad down after a few days because it was a complete waste of time. I might as well have thrown my $49 down the toilet. So sad that the once reputable Autotrader has been reduced to this thanks to all the bad apples in the world.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2023

I have been looking a new cars but have been frustrated at the amount of useless data that populates Autotrader. It would appear most of new vehicles listed are not actually for sale. The cars are already pre sold by the auto dealers. With the shortages in new car supply this is just a scam run by both the auto dealers and Autotrader who posts these useless ads.

Get buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2023

Do not use to sell your car. Save $49 and post on FB Marketplace. I posted on Autotrader and received one inquiry after 6 days. I posted on FB Marketplace and received 10+ inquiries on the first day and sold my vehicle to the second person that reached out.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2023

This Company is just like every other Used Car Sales Online site that does not promote or help the Private Seller. Put your vehicle on Marketplace and save yourself money and frustration dealing with this Dealer Friendly only site!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2022

Autotrader need to check who they are recommending on their sites. Zuto is a broker recommended and this company is disgusting!!! Have been struggling for 4 months to reject a car and have been ignored and given excuses since the beginning. Now they close my complaint saying they can't do anything, lying about the car already being repaired!!! I was forced to buy a new car and this is now being used as the reason for rejection!! This company has caused me months of stress and anxiety!!!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

This is not the Autotrader of yesteryears, the only inquiries you will get is from scammers, nobody legitimate. We ended up taking our car to a local dealer. Also, the car we posted was a Tesla but Autotrader did not classify the car correctly so if and that's a big "if" real buyers had been searching our model with the longer range mileage, our vehicle would never have shown up. Needless to say we got zero valid inquiries and ad was still incorrectly listed, I removed it, called their customer service. They declined to give a refund so I will be disputing on my credit card. Seriously, stay away. This is not a viable service to sell your car.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

Just like another car sales website, plenty of scammers and tire kickers and few legitimate buyers. I sold my car on Facebook for FREE…Could have used this wasted money for a good meal for the wife and myself. Might as well have thrown my money out the window which is why I’m giving them a 1/5 and that other cars website got a 2/5. At least their useless service costs what you get out of it…Nothing.

Actually if I based it on results Autotrader really deserves a 0/5… Worse than useless as you actually took my hard earned money to get zero results. Yet 1/5 is as low as I can go. I will never, ever use them again, don’t think I got a single legitimately interested person. Again FB not only found my buyer for free but many other legitimate people contacted me. NOT A SINGLE LEGITIMATELY SERIOUS BUYER CONTACTED ME in the same time I sold it on FB…Several weeks.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2022

I posted on Autotrader.com thinking my ad may reach more people than Craigslist or marketplace. Well, I was wrong. Autotrader states that they filter out who messages you. If that is the case, I cant tell. The only messages I have received have been scammers. Save your money, and if you have already wasted it on Autotrader, demand they give a refund.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

I listed my used car on Autotrader. I sold it in about a week, but Autotrader was not a good investment. I wouldn't have minded paying $49 if I got legitimate leads, but the only folks who contacted me were scammers and dealers who wanted to purchase the car cheap. I also listed on Facebook and Craigslist, and I got more contacts from Craigslist than any other. Don't bother with Autotrader. I wish a bunch of us could do a class action lawsuit based on similar comments from others.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

Spent $49 to list my car on Autotrader. Did not receive a single legitimate contact; every message received was from a scammer. First they tell you that they don't respond to the Autotrader emails, and ask you to contact them directly. Then when you do you get a message like this: (I've received at least 10 messages like this.) "I'm currently not in town for now, so I won't be able to meet with you due to my work frame. I will be making payment via Certified bank check and will be delivered to you in 1-2 days. I don't mind adding extra $30 for you to hold the vehicle for me. Kindly get back to me with your Full name, Full Address, Last Asking price & Phone Number. I will also make arrangement for the pickup as soon as the check clear your bank." I contacted the Autotrader fraud department but received a canned response. Don't waste your time. There are better ways to sell a car.

Autotrader author review by Emma Simon

Autotrader has millions of vehicles to choose from. The Car Research and Review section of the site helps car buyers calculate how much they can afford to spend on a car. The site is also full of helpful educational resources to inform users on every aspect of buying and selling a car, including finding the right insurance, tips for getting a car sold and comparison photos. In addition to buying vehicles, you can also sell or trade in your car on the site.

• Dozens of search filters: The Autotrader search is second to none. Dozens of filters let users be as picky as they like.

• Apps for iOS and Android: The two Autotrader apps get great reviews from users. Create a personal account and access your saved searches and vehicles from any other mobile device or computer.

• Financing through LendingTree: Autotrader works with LendingTree, an online loan broker, to help you find the best financing for your car purchase.

• Car insurance by Geico: Autotrader has partnered with Geico to help you look for car insurance that protects you from the moment you drive off the lot.

• Bulk of cars sold through professional dealers: It can sometimes be tricky to buy a car from a private dealer. Most of Autotrader’s listings are through professional dealers, which lets you find reviews online and work with a reputable seller.

by Emma Simon ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Emma Simon is dedicated to creating accurate and valuable content that helps consumers make difficult decisions.

Autotrader.com Company Information