Autotrader.com
Based on 116 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

Autotrader.com

149 Autotrader.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

55 looks and 1 call from scammer. Used to be a great site to sell things, now just pay your money and wait for the unwanted calls from people who want you to pay them to help you sell your car. Lowered it 5k below blue book on a mint 2015 Ram 2500, no bites. The good news is now I am getting a lot of Autotrader ads pop up in my browsing, just what I need, advertisements to buy a car when mine is not selling. AVOID!!!

Original review: July 30, 2018

Trucks for sale - Don’t waste your time. After filling out all their information about what I wanted, all it would show was smashed up wrecks. Really? Why would it think I wanted a smashed up wreck. The site is worthless.

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I had used Autotrader many years ago when they published a magazine and distributed it locally and always had good experience. Not so today as it took me three different attempts to post an ad. First time after I entered all info including description and photos then went to the pay part the link was dead. I phoned them and was told to go to various other sections which I did and as a result lost all my input. They said they were sorry and would help me word another ad. I do not need help with that, just being able to place it.

Next attempt I started over from scratch but only got as far as entering my email address which I had to re-enter online below only to get error message that emails do not match, despite the fact that they matched perfectly. I tried again but used a different email, but had the same results. Called Autotrader and all they could advise was try again from scratch. I did so and this time it worked and I spent another hour downloading photos and rewording description, but it took my credit card and gave me an ad id. Lucky me! Now all I have to do is wait for 24 hours before I can see my ad published.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I listed my car for sale about a month ago. I listed the car far under bluebook value for the condition. I paid over $80 to list on Autotrader. As soon as the ad went live, I received a bombardment of fraudulent texts and one fraudulent call (the caller hung up on me and then proceeded to text me with bogus offers). I reported all of these to Autotrader. Since listing, I have not received even one legitimate inquiry - not one. It was like paying someone to harass you. Now I still have a car to sell and will probably need to pay another service to do so. This is not the first car I have sold online. Autotrader is the worst service I have ever used to date.

Original review: July 10, 2018

Other than the 24-hour wait to get online or edited and editing issue, so far all going well selling 2005 Camry XLE V6 with only 46k miles. Yes, you get the usual scams from non-locals wanting to send via PayPal or CashMe. I just don't reply. But also getting a lot of serious local callers. Problem is editing. My initial post was up in 24 hours. Since had lots of characters left, I added more based on questions was getting. However when tried to send told me info not completed and recheck vin had to be 17 characters. I confirm vin is correct, search all over and cannot find anything missing.

I call support - fast pickup from a friendly human. Tells me the problems are not what they read error messages say but cannot have $ signs or abbreviations or anything other than periods. Gee, why didn't something tell me that instead of wrong error message! She brought up ad and auto changed the bad words (like $). I copied my redo, logged out and added what I added being sure not to use $ etc or abbreviations on the new text. It was accepted without the false error messages. Other than knowing you can't use $ etc (which was accepted on the original post) experience and response have been good. Also - if want to send the URL of ad to someone is VERY LONG!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Autotrader?

Original review: June 8, 2018

Internal server error pages when I type in my zip code, place search for BMW (shows only 16) but when I press search, I get the internal server error. Try to change my zip, same error. A survey window pops up, great, now I can give feedback... no, of course not, when I press on it on either text me or email me, it brings me back to the original search page. Increasing search radius... who knows, I haven't found it after 10 mins of frustration with internal server errors. Sellers: I can't find your car!! Buyers: trust me, after 10 mins you'll give up. So I emailed them with my observations, turn out you have 250 characters to do so... what a joke this website.

Original review: March 17, 2018

First of all the site is terrible. Just to get to your ad, you have to sign in numerous times. I started the ad, then went to finish the following evening. The ad was gone and I had to start again. Now when I want to check the status of my ad, it is difficult to find the link, you then have to sign in again. Your ad page tells you nothing, how many have viewed it, absolutely nothing. Now to get to the responses from my ad. I immediately received 3 text messages, all from the same # with several other #'s included in a group text. I was asked if the vehicle was still for sale and to respond via email. I did to the first one, then realized all three text were from the same person. I even received a text from one of the #s included in the group text telling me that they believed it to be a scam. Sometime later I received a call from a service wanting to "help" me sell my car... for $299! Now mind you I have already paid to place an ad on AT.

I received about 8 more inquiries within the next 8 hours, emails from soldiers wanting to buy a gift for their family member, "can't talk, in a combat zone", "must make purchase immediately", etc. etc. In 2 days I have received 28 inquiries, all have been scams. I reached out to AT, they were sincerely sorry, (I believed them) but they cannot be held responsible, these things happen, yada yada. They gave me a pretty comprehensive list of things I should do to make sure I am not scammed... When I responded and asked what THEY will do to protect their customers... so far radio silence! No mention of a refund, upgrade in ad placement (ads are anywhere between 25-100), any type of customer service responsibility.

I am guessing that I purchased the scammers ad list, i.e. $25. There are way too many free sites that I have used and NEVER had this problem before! I used AutoTrader because my son has a "specialty" car and thought I would reach a different audience... Boy was I right! I definitely would not recommend this site unless you are hypervigilant and watch for scammers, since that is all I have received, it may be best to avoid this site altogether unless you purchase the "no scammers" list. Buyer beware!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Kelley Blue Book Instant Offers are not too reliable. In fact we had received an instant offer for our 2013 Rav4 XLE in great condition. Once we took the vehicle to dealers. All of them tried to use different techniques to "discount" the so called "Instant Offer". One dealer claimed there was hail damage to the top of the car... there in fact was a few dings that we never noticed and an average consumer would never had seen either. Another dealer pulled the CarFax report and revealed to us that the car at some point, prior to us owning it was engaged in an apparent accident (which never affected the performance and had been repaired quite possibly by Toyota) and never noticeable.

It was apparent to us that this scheme was an effort by the dealers to discount the value of the vehicle and give us the impression that the vehicle was worth less... interestingly the vehicle is a hot seller and it has less than 36K miles. Word to the wise is... don't buy into this nonsense because the effort apparently is geared to get the consumer into the dealers' office primarily to trade your vehicle. If they can con you into believing that your vehicle is faulty... they can do a "steal deal"; i.e. use a scheme to buy it from you at a low-ball price.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Bought the car about a month before Christmas, sent emails to the bookkeeper that the car was having trouble starting and the tire pressure light was back on (on when I gave deposit on the car) Never got a reply. Called the owner Jan 2 allowing for the Xmas and new year holiday. Was told none of his cars were starting funny. My 2002 Audi TT had no problem starting. Was told He would get me a battery wholesale and it was over a few weeks. Also told him about the tire pressure light. Said I would have to leave it for a few days when his mechanic was in. He is in Nanuet. I live in Ossining Westchester. Very inconsiderate.

They do not back what they sell. P.S. The battery was bad. Had AutoZone replace it at my expense and have to get the tire pressure light checked. I thought even used cars sales had a warranty and a responsibility to the buyer at least in NY. Do not recommend this dealer. He will say they got me a great interest rate, my credit got me that. He will tell you he took in my PRS guitar in trade. I got ripped off on that deal. I went through with the deal because I was afraid they would not refund my 500.00 Deposit As they told me they would defer it to another vehicle. Just a warning. Think twice or thrice before you deal with this dealership.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Don't advertise your car here. It is awful and a waste of money and time. You will get zero replies like everyone else. I don't think they even show your ad to be honest. I called them and asked for a refund because I couldn't find mine, they refused so I will just let everyone know they are probably a scam. Just look at all the bad reviews with the same issues, etc...

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I placed 2 ads on Autotrader.com and have gotten nothing but scam requests, so not only did I waste $300 but now my email address has been exposed to scam artists. I have sent a couple of emails to Autotrader.com about this problem but they have not responded. DO NOT PLACE YOUR ITEMS FOR SALE ON Autotrader.com.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I listed my vehicle with AutoTrader and within 24 hours I had two responses - both from people who were stationed on military bases and were willing to pay asking price for the vehicle as they were buying it for their father who was a mechanic. All I needed to do was to set-up a PayPal account as that was the only way they could pay for the vehicle. I reported this to AutoTrader's fraud group and was sent a generic e-mail telling me about potential fraudulent practices and another advising me that they would look into it immediately!

In the next 24 hours I received a similar contact with a very similar story - stationed on a military base - could only pay me using PayPal - etc., etc., etc. Once again I forwarded the e-mail to AutoTrader and once again received the same cautionary e-mail from their fraud department and the advise - they would look into this immediately. I responded by telling them that if the only contacts I was going to receive were fraudulent in nature that I wanted to terminate my ad and get a refund... I never heard another word from AutoTrader! I have not had ONE legitimate contact from the ad I placed and now I can't get refund - partial or complete.

NEVER AGAIN AutoTrader!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

Wow. So surprised how useless this is. Paid a bit of money to get my vehicle posted. A few days later go to search for my ad - it can't be found. Many many searches, can't find it. Email them 3 times to get help - never a reply over two weeks. Tried the online help bot - didn't help. No phone numbers anywhere for help. When scrolling through you literally see the same car posted 4 times in a row on a single page. What a waste of time for buyers to scroll the thousands of cars advertised. No responses from buyers. Wasted time setting up, wasted money, wasted time complaining like this, but hopefully it will help someone else.

Original review: June 28, 2017

Received a text from 5027710345 and person never called, said they would pay full price and were just out surgery. Never got replies that seemed normal. Took forever between replies even if my reply to text was instant. Soon as they sent a check though instant replies. The car was only asking price of $2100 and they sent check for $3960.00. I’ve been in car repair business and transport for 25yrs. It only costs $963.00 to transport Phoenix to I’m guessing Louisville, Kentucky by area code. Had to ask the person’s name and only got Beth. Check arrived from New Jersey another RED FLAG.

No one pays a seller the shipper’s money, the shipper gets paid upon delivery or prior to picking car up by purchaser. Sold a classic to a guy back east once. Car shipper shows up picks up documents and car. NEVER MONEY!! So this alerted me to being total scam. Now I’m being hounded by texts to deposit check. I really want to bust these SOB's but law enforcement doesn't give a F about these type of very costly consumer scams. BEWARE, BE SAFE fellow Americans is all I can say. NO OTHER RESPONSE TO Autotrader. Back to Craigslist or Backpage for me or Cars.com I heard in another post.

Original review: June 27, 2017

Zero results despite premium ad of a hot selling car in mint condition at a great price. Only got repeated txt and emails from scammers wanting to buy car with PayPal. Attempts to get help from Autotrader.com online resources and live did not generate results. Seems like dealers are only people who use site.

Original review: June 8, 2017

Please don't waste your time or money. This is not the same advertising it used to be. I have had no calls with the exception of fraud and I listed a Corvette and a Tahoe well under blue book. Customer service only pushes upgrading the ads. Not one single response from a buyer... none.

Original review: April 20, 2017

Don't bother wasting your time or money advertising on Autotrader. I spent over $100 and ran my ad for over 2 months while decreasing the price weekly. During that period I received absolutely no inquiries or even page hits. I also advertised on CarGurus and Cars.com which are free and received a ton of page hits and inquiries...

Original review: March 24, 2017

I submit my Automobile on Autotrader's, I received no real interest about the Auto or any authentic possible buyers at all! However, I did use the Kelley Blue Book feature and because I had the Auto, Detailed, New tires, state inspected and the car was beautiful. The dealer gave me exactly what Kelley Blue Book quoted and it was what I was selling it for. So, to that note it all worked out and was sold in 2 weeks!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

We spent over $200 on ads at AutoTrader to sell our classic car. We started receiving a lot of strange requests with the same wording that didn't make a lot of sense. For example, they were all asking if the car had a high safety rating and good gas mileage. Well, it's a 40 year-old classic, so no! Anyway, we googled the emails and found out they were scam mails. When I contacted Autotrader to point out the scams, they send me a standard email on how to avoid scams. That's it. Also, they do not protect your real email address (like on Craigslist) so the scammers could contact me directly. Needless to say, I didn't sell my car but the guys at AutoTrader are a bit richer. :(

Original review: Nov. 22, 2016

Whoever ruined the Obamacare website must be the same person who made AutoTrader.com. I purchased the premium $100 listing for the duration of 18+ months or however long it takes to sell the car. Within a few months I had well over 30 people communicate with me regarding my simultaneous Craigslist ad. On the other hand my AutoTrader ad had maybe 5-7 replies the entire year it was listed. Not to mention 3 or 4 of those replies regarded people telling me the AutoTrader ad wouldn't work properly, either not loading images or them being unable to open the listing.

Those vague analytics a purely to give you an idea where your money is best spent. Keep in mind, I was upgraded for free to the VIP listing for a month or two, since I had complained about their website so many times. I'll give customer service a B for effort, as I do appreciate free goods, but it doesn't mean much when they never made an effort to fix their useless website. Countless time I was told, "We are working on the website". Well the website changed in format, but it still has ALL of the same issues. I couldn't change my ad, I couldn't update or delete anything without asking customer service to do it for me... and wait for it... it still takes 24-48 hours to update to the website! That's provided the changes made actually reflect what you asked for, without typos. Otherwise, looks like I'm making another call to customer service and waiting 48 hours to see if I hit the lottery and they updated it properly.

During my 8 or so months with AutoTrader I eventually gave up on the ad I paid for. It was ludicrous to call in or send emails to customer support to make ANY changes to my listing. Not only that, but I would often find the images only loaded half-way and customer support wouldn't bother to tell me. Typically I would hear from a potential customer that the images don't load or the website doesn't work for them when clicking on my ad. AutoTrader never took ownership of the problem, they would blame my photos, which coincidentally uploaded perfectly fine when sending them the same exact pictures a 2nd time. Their website is very unstable and useless regardless which browser you use, granted I never tried Opera or Safari browsers. It did not work in IE 11, Chrome, or Firefox. All of them had issues uploading images or changing the text in my listing.

8 or so months of dealing with this I asked for some sort of refund today and they declined. Well I shall not decline on reminding people how upsetting it was to use their service, NEVER AGAIN. I will use cars.com or Craigslist next time. Don't get me wrong, I dislike Craigslist with a passion and it's unfathomably more useful and better laid out than AutoTrader.com.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2016

I listed a car for sale on AutoTrader and Craigslist at the same time. Five Craigslist responses in the first week. Zero responses from AutoTrader. I did mention in my AutoTrader ad that second parties and dealers should not bother me... So far three calls from second hand 'wheeler dealers' on AutoTrader. No real buyers! The buyer for my vehicle came from Craigslist... I'll stick with a free Craigslist from now on!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2016

I paid for the VIP ad experience (almost $300) and was given a bit of help over the phone in placing my ad. There was incorrect information on the ad and when I tried to correct it, the website wouldn't allow me. After waiting through the weekend to call them, I was told it was a "known issue" and that I would have to call someone each time I wanted the ad changed or I could email the changes in to the VIP email address. That was 2 months ago and the issue is still not fixed. Luckily, I did sell the car last night so I can cancel their service... which isn't much service at all. They lack a sense of loyalty to their customers, accountability, and are seriously deprived of concern. Not impressed at all.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2016

I am a twenty year customer of them and they just don't get it done anymore. Customer service is the ABSOLUTE WORST I have ever dealt with. I have reached out to them over 15 times in an effort to solve my website and billing issues to no avail. They keep passing the buck down the line. Connectivity issues with my website forced to me to drop my account with them. They tried to make up for their mistake by giving me two months free to come back and now they want to bill me for time after I canceled. Fifteen calls later still no answers. They just keep on passing you down the line with no results. After all my efforts and after they admitted to their mistakes and promised me credit now they have sent my account to their collection attorneys to chase me down for what they already promised to me. NO RESPECT, NO ACCOUNTABILITY!!! Twenty years of loyalty and they resorting to this. CLASSLESS.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

There has been a 2015 Audi A8 in Vancouver listed for $14,000. This car is worth between 60 - 70K. I have reported it as a scam from my tablet, home PC, work PC & phone about 20X. No reply and the ad is still up after a month. They do not care if you get scammed, as long as they have some ads on their POS website. Avoid at all costs. Every other used vehicle site is miles better than Auto Trader.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2016

Read reviews just before I signed up. Couldn't believe all the bad reviews - now I do. Address had not brought ANY Leads, and now it seems, the whole company is sharing my email sending emails offering help AKA trying to upsell... Wasted hard earned $100.00. Once reputable, the glory days of AutoTrader are over. As other said, Craigslist resulted in more leads. Oh yeah and the best part about it is - Autotrader advertises the car on MY facebook page - unsure if they want me to buy it or just to prove they are actually doing something for the money they pocketed...

Original review: July 18, 2016

I uploaded similar ads to sell my vehicle on Craigslist and Autotrader. While Craigslist is free and Autotrader cost $100, I got 4x the responses from Craigslist! I upgraded to the VIP Ad service for another ~$180, thinking the top-of-page placement would boost my odds. I proceeded to get 0 responses in 2 weeks - WORSE than the 'regular' ad performed in 1 week. Other ad statistics crumbled as well. Asking customer service about poor performance was an additional waste of time. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH AUTOTRADER! The ratio of spam to real inquires is insulting. They simply do not offer any tangible service for their cost charged.

Original review: May 31, 2016

I'm selling my 2010 BMW X5 with 98K miles. The car was meticulously maintained and looks exceptional. I'm priced 10% below my competition and my car has more options and ALL of the service records. Within a week of buying my advertisement, I received a call from their customer care department who immediately went into the benefits of converting my ad to VIP status. I'm now into this ad for $380 and I have not received one phone call or inquiry from an interested buyer. Compare this to Craigslist where I've received numerous calls and a couple of buyers for zero out of pocket expense. They took my money for a premium ad and I've not heard from them since, except from their 'car buying service', where they offer to buy my car at a fire sale. Their ad department says my private party price is under market, but their buying service offered to buy the car for 24-25% less than comparable cars listed on Autotrader.com.

Original review: May 20, 2016

I filled out a form offering to sell my car. Form is very detailed and included questions about the condition of the car, which I filled out accurately. Included were questions about whether the steering rack needed to be replaced (I answered yes), and whether battery needed to be replaced (again answered yes). Received an offer from AutoTrader, then heard from their authorized dealer (DCH Honda in Eatontown NJ). Discussed condition of car with them and explained that it could not be driven because of steering. Was making arrangements to have it flat bedded to the dealership when they advised that they wouldn't pay anything close to the offer amount because the steering rack needed to be replaced.

The Autotrader offer was BASED on the condition of the car including the fact that the steering rack needed to be replaced. This outfit is nothing more than a bait and switch. Once they find out you're not interested in trading in for another car, they refuse to honor their offer. I would not ever deal with Autotrader or DCH Honda of Eatontown again.

Original review: May 7, 2016

I paid for a premium ad for $100. My sports car is in the $40k-$50k range. I priced it within range of similar postings and added several detailed photos and very descriptive text for buyers. My car came up in search a few thousand times but I received only one legit e-mail from a dealer and then a couple spam text messages from others. It took a while to get a good offer but I had several genuine buyers reach out to me through my eBay posting and my Craigslist posting. eBay generated the most views and genuine traffic by far.

During this process, I reduced my selling price on Autotrader and did not receive any more interest. While some of this is out of Autotrader's control, I sincerely don't think the money spent was worth it. They do not offer guarantees anymore. At least with eBay, you only put a minimal amount of money up front. If Autotrader still believes they are the authority, they should back their stats. Autotrader also deploys their staff to push and try to convince you to spend another $250 for VIP service. They pitch it as if it is a sure thing and the only way to sell your car. Overall, disappointed and don't plan to use Autotrader again.

Original review: April 30, 2016

AutoTrader led me to believe that I could place an effective ad selling my car at a low price for the ad. Fraud! After placing the ad, I was contacted by AT. They wanted to "help" me by reviewing the ad. & make recommendations. They admitted that there was nothing wrong with my ad. Then they pointed out that I wasn't being contacted much at all explaining that their system was designed to place my inexpensive ad very far down the list of ads in the search results behind dealers & private parties paying much more than I. My ad was in the search results but was not being seen because of their ad "policies".

Essentially, I was wasting my money unless I paid nearly $300 more! What a scam! Obviously, they did not tell me this upfront giving me a chance to make an informed choice. Fraud! If I wasn't willing to pay the real price of a truly effective ad like the dealers, etc., I was informed that I was wasting my time. So furious! They are no better than the car salesmen I'm trying to avoid!

Not sure about Autotrader.com?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Dealers for you.

Autotrader.com Company Information

Autotrader
    www.autotrader.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business