Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
  2. Automotive
  3. Car Dealerships

Autotrader.com

Autotrader.com
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.49/5

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Autotrader.com Reviews

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I have placed an ad with Autotrader.com for several months now - and I have received very few responses. That's life. I get it. However, I got suspicious that the company was scamming me soon after my ad ran. I got a couple email inquiries. I responded and no response back - again no problem. That's life. Then I simply asked each person to respond back that they got my email and even stated I think Autotrader is doing something fishy - NO REPLY ever... It has been a number of responses that I have asked this question to.

In one instance, I responded 2-3 times with a prospective buyer. We were setting up a time for that person to come and look at my car - then I sent a note with some availability and also asked to reply even if not interested so I could validate authenticity. NOTHING replied. So either Autotrader is scamming people and sending fake email to make them think their ad is working and getting viewed or they are not screening emails as they state in their service agreement. Either way DO NOT use this site to sell you car. There are so many better options.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I attempted to place an ad to sell my truck on Autotrader on a Monday. I paid $90 for their premium service (Ha!). By Wednesday, the ad hadn’t appeared and I became concerned, partly because they were quick to “cash” my payment. I wrote an email to their customer service area and received a reply apologizing for their error and promising to resolve the problem within “24-48 hours“ (Now THAT’S great customer service-NOT!). So I waited 48 hours...still no sign of my ad. So I wrote back to Autotrader, and received a reply instructing me to call their customer service department, which I did.

A very nice lady did some searching, and more searching, and more searching...and finally offered to begin the whole lengthy process of replacing the ad from scratch. It took me at least a half hour to compose the original ad, take pictures, etc., so I refused and asked for a refund. I was told it would take 3-5 business days for them to process the refund (funny, it only took one day for them to process my payment ). What an absolutely terrible customer experience.

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

They are the worse. Do not try them. I wish if there is -5 star I will give them. I have not receive one lead and they charge me $7000 dollar for no one lead. Stay away from them and when you ask for the report all that they say is, "You sign a contract."

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

Paid $50 for an ad on Autotrader. Ad ran 6 weeks. Nice car, good price, never got an inquiry. Lowered the price. Bought another ad. Never got a hit. Nobody wanted this car? Sent myself an inquiry through the site. Never got it. Borrowed a buddy's computer and sent an inquiry. Never got it. Contacted Autotrader to fix it. They couldn't. Asked them for my money back several times. No response. I've sold cars on Autotrader before. Worked okay, but if it doesn't work, you lose because they have your money and you get nothing.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

Bad site. Then filter is a joke, does not work. When filling in the required inquiries it shows everything. Punch in v8 engine, 2.7, litre, v6 shows up. Also they have Beta in red and the page jumps. In order to find what you are looking for you have to scroll through hundreds of vehicles. Finally you come across a V8 engine. I do not recommend this website.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Autotrader?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I placed 3 or 4 ads on Auto Trader and the only response was from a scammer trying to cheat me using a shipping fee ploy. I was expecting more but once used Auto Trader and tried to find my own car, I soon realized why I was not getting any action from ad. Even when I knew what I was looking for it was hard to find.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

I love Autotrader! (I imagine I might feel otherwise as a seller). The last car I bought—in 2018–, I was watching out for it for years, but then saw Honda was no longer making it in the color I wanted. So I began to look for the last car made in that color, which would have been a 2017 left-over. But the price for the car used, was barely $2,000 less than buying new! So it made sense to buy the new one. I found the car, thanks to Autotrader. There were only 4 left in California, one in Ohio, maybe one in Texas, and one in Staten Island, 1 hour away from me. I bought the one in Staten Island. As a buyer, I thoroughly recommend Autotrader!

Original review: July 23, 2019

Just spoke to "manager" Cindy. My photo ad appears in ad with wrong phone number. The manager would not run a correct ad with proper phone number for next publication. She replied that because the print ad (the little ad without photo) had the correct number! The photo ad is the one people see. Many do not know, and should not have to look for the correct number in that little print ad. Have placed many advertisements over the years and anytime such a blatant mistake made the publishers comps you an ad. No calls from this ad....wonder why? Terrible customer service. Will never advertise here again!

Original review: July 19, 2019

I’ve only received one serious private party interested in my excellent condition well priced clean title SUV. Many e-mails that prove to be dealers looking to pick up a car below blue book value to resale. Beware - for you private party sellers that the majority of the interested inquiries are dealers looking to lowball you. Even had one ask if I owed anything (none of their business) and if I wanted to get in to a new vehicle with his dealership. No thank you. Save your time and money by selling on other online sites if you are a private seller looking to get what your car is worth selling to another private party. Autotrader is not what it once was.

Original review: July 14, 2019

Apparently the sales people are not commissioned and could care less about customers. Having tried several different AT dealerships and finding nice but useless sales people leads to this conclusion. Asking for the simplest of things results in sales people suggesting that the request is impossible. Things like sending a copy of the "inspection" that "all cars" go through or even something as simple as sending photographs of wheels to show actual condition. Stay as far away from AT as possible. If you are a car enthusiast avoid them like the plague...

Autotrader expert review by Tom Rains

Autotrader has millions of vehicles to choose from. The Car Research and Review section of the site helps car buyers calculate how much they can afford to spend on a car. The site is also full of helpful educational resources to inform users on every aspect of buying and selling a car, including finding the right insurance, tips for getting a car sold and comparison photos. In addition to buying vehicles, you can also sell or trade in your car on the site.

• Dozens of search filters: The Autotrader search is second to none. Dozens of filters let users be as picky as they like.

• Apps for iOS and Android: The two Autotrader apps get great reviews from users. Create a personal account and access your saved searches and vehicles from any other mobile device or computer.

• Financing through LendingTree: Autotrader works with LendingTree, an online loan broker, to help you find the best financing for your car purchase.

• Car insurance by Geico: Autotrader has partnered with Geico to help you look for car insurance that protects you from the moment you drive off the lot.

• Bulk of cars sold through professional dealers: It can sometimes be tricky to buy a car from a private dealer. Most of Autotrader’s listings are through professional dealers, which lets you find reviews online and work with a reputable seller.

by Tom Rains ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Tom Rains graduated from the University of Oklahoma in 2014 with a master’s degree in Professional Writing. Tom’s passion for delivering quality content fuels him to provide consumers with accurate, well-researched information on major life purchases.

Autotrader.com Company Information