Find a Car Dealerships partner

Autotrader.com

3.9/5 (320 ratings)
Find a Car Dealerships partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Autotrader.com

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Autotrader.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Autotrader.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Autotrader?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

Paid $49 to place ad. All it got me was fraudulent offers and an email inbox full of spam. All reported to Autotrader fraud alert system. The offer made by Autotrader/KBB was one of the lowest offers received from dealers. If you have $49 to waste, list your vehicle here.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

I placed an ad for an electric car. It inserted a range for the car that was wrong. It was taking forever to fix and then they blamed it on the manufacturer. I know FOR A FACT that the OEM does not list that range for the model I have. There was no way for me to change the listed range. There was no way for customer no-service to change it either. The range was so low anyone looking for my vehicle would have eliminated my ad. I would strongly avoid. Also, mostly scammer responses, but that is to be expected.

Get buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

Paid $49 for scammers to offer me fraudulent checks for the sale of my car. Autotrader is defining themselves by allowing this to continue and perpetuating a trend just to make money by their own false advertisement of services they provide.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

$49 buys you non-stop scams and spams of fake buyers. I had a 'too good to be true' kind of offer, so I played along, only to have my instincts verified. A fake certified check arrives via FedEx overnight. Called the owner of the company listed on the check, they had no idea what was happening. I submitted a formal complaint to the IC3.gov fraud reporting site with all of the details. After a week of getting bogus inquiries, non-responses, and a solid scam, I sold my car to a local dealership, no hassles, 100% safe and a very fair deal. Lesson learned cost: $49.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

It cost 49$ to list my car for sell, privately. 100% of the responses are scammers. This is absolutely exhausting to go through this over and over each day. What a sad society we live in where there are no consequences for these criminals. Autotrader.com is responsible for managing this. But it's clear they put no effort into protecting their clientele.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

I have had my car listed for 2 months now, received over 2 dozen inquiries of which 95% or so (1 legitimate) were scams/Robo initiated contacts. I've also sold other cars on this site and it has gotten worse over the last couple of years. It has become a waste of time. DealerTrack, the parent company does nothing to trap these scams and does not police the site. The common scam is to "pay by cashier check" and pick up the car when the "check clears". Cashier checks can be faked so Buyer Beware!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2021

Autotrader charges $50 to list your vehicle but CarGurus only charges $5. Almost every inquiry I received from Autotrader was a scammer. Managing your ad is frustrating to say the least. It very much seems catered to dealers. Overall much better experience and more user friendly ad management over at CarGurus. I do not recommend Autotrader for private sellers. Please research where to sell before using Autotrader. Save your time and money by posting elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

My experience with Autotrader hasn't always been positive. But the team I've been communicating with recently actually listens to your requests and goes above and beyond to make changes that improve your dealer site and inventory - which is extremely important because it's essentially the face of your business online. Nick **, my account rep is always available and eager to help. Every conversation I've had with him ends stress-free and my issue/request resolved. David(?) in Support/Sales was extremely helpful, relaxed and knowledgeable. He took time to explain the why behind their site rather than just pitching the upsell. Because of the two gentlemen above, Autotrader has by far been the best experience for advertising cars we've had.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

The website is purely designed to dealers, I spend $50 to advertise my used car as private seller, but the tools are not friendly at all, I had pretty much just 1 message (compared to competitor that I got 15 + sold my car), you don't receive a note when you got a message neither to navigate and manage your ad is not easy. Sounds like they encourage you to give your call to a dealer (which all of us know that is another challenge). So my overall rating here is 1 star, do not recommend use Autotrader to private seller.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

Went on 8/7/21 to look at a car that was advertised for $4999.00. The salesman that helped us was Cory. Said the car was being sold by John **. That it was his Aunt’s car. We made a offer of $4500.00. On Monday 8/9/21 Cory texted me and said that they would only take the $4999.00 Firm. So I texted him back and said we would be there between 4-4:30. He said they would be there. Then as we are getting ready to leave I get a text saying that they sold it. That someone offered them more money. Yeah, when you repost it for more money. Shady shady shady!!! This is why used car sales get such a bad name. I definitely would not recommend anyone using them and if they do this I wonder what they hide on these cars. Also, when you test drive it there was no oil in the engine. NONE. I believe that John ** Cimino was behind all of this bad business.

Autotrader author review by Emma Simon

Autotrader has millions of vehicles to choose from. The Car Research and Review section of the site helps car buyers calculate how much they can afford to spend on a car. The site is also full of helpful educational resources to inform users on every aspect of buying and selling a car, including finding the right insurance, tips for getting a car sold and comparison photos. In addition to buying vehicles, you can also sell or trade in your car on the site.

• Dozens of search filters: The Autotrader search is second to none. Dozens of filters let users be as picky as they like.

• Apps for iOS and Android: The two Autotrader apps get great reviews from users. Create a personal account and access your saved searches and vehicles from any other mobile device or computer.

• Financing through LendingTree: Autotrader works with LendingTree, an online loan broker, to help you find the best financing for your car purchase.

• Car insurance by Geico: Autotrader has partnered with Geico to help you look for car insurance that protects you from the moment you drive off the lot.

• Bulk of cars sold through professional dealers: It can sometimes be tricky to buy a car from a private dealer. Most of Autotrader’s listings are through professional dealers, which lets you find reviews online and work with a reputable seller.

by Emma Simon ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Emma Simon is dedicated to creating accurate and valuable content that helps consumers make difficult decisions.

Autotrader.com Company Information