Autotrader.com

Autotrader.com

3.5/5 (236 ratings)
Find a Car Dealerships partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Autotrader.com

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Autotrader.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Autotrader.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Autotrader?

Original review: May 28, 2022

In 2 weeks I have not received any legit interest in my ad. Not even lowball offers because I said in the ad that dealers need not respond. I've received several phishing texts and a scam offer to send me a check via UPS and buy the car sight unseen. Autotrader has multiple articles on their site to discourage buyers from buying from private sellers. Wasted $50. Today I started receiving spam to my gmail account that I've had for years and almost never use. The only new use was autotrader and I've gotten several Fitbit and Best Buy scams to reset my password, I don't even have accounts with Fitbit and Best Buy.

Original review: May 22, 2022

Waste of time and $49. Fake responses. Odd responses. And those that are actual response are always low ball offers over the phone for thousands less than advertised price. So they are wholesalers looking to flip your car. Waste of time and money. No credibility here. I wrote Autotrader and asked for my money back and told them why. No response of course.

Get buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 21, 2022

Listed a car on Autotrader, Craigslist and Cars.com. On Autotrader 90% of the inquiries were scammers and a few low-ball offers. The scammers want to communicate via text so they can limit their exposure on Autotrader. The technique is "I will send you a certified check, car unseen, by UPS.." Anyway that's how it starts. Be very careful using this site and if you decide to sell, only accept cash or direct transfer via Zell. Odds are you just threw away your $50.00 on Autotrader.

Original review: May 13, 2022

Don't bother with this "service." You will lose $49 just to have scammers bombard you with messages. They don't do a thing about them. You will have better luck with a free local marketplace ad. So disappointing!

Original review: May 7, 2022

Very disappointed. Had my Ad up for not even a week. Just cancelled my ad. ALL I GOT was SCAMMERS who responded. People who sent messages asking me to contact them outside of Autotrader. I paid for my AD and got ZERO interested people. I feel like Autotrader took my money and did not provide the service they advertise. VERY DISAPPOINTING and more so since their site says NO REFUNDS. So I am out my money and now have to sell my vehicle elsewhere. I lost time and money.

Original review: April 6, 2022

I completed the information required by the site to sell my automobile. I received an email saying everything was fine. I checked a few days later only to find that the listing was "pending". I contacted their support team via chat. They couldn't help. They said I would have to call. I called and got put on hold twice. Then the person said she would have to contact someone else. Clearly, none of these individuals had any idea what happened. I asked for a refund and explanation. So far, I have received neither.

Original review: April 1, 2022

They allow dealers to post listing of cars that are sold with ridiculous low prices just to get you to call and they also allow dealers to list cars that are certified that are too old to be certified. I emailed them about this and never got a response.

Original review: March 13, 2022

I will never use Autotrader again and will actively discourage others from using it. It was a complete waste of time and money as all I got was scammers. Autotrader needs to screen potential buyers in some way to prevent this from happening. I did learn about a few new ways scammers try to suck you in so there is that - I hope that is not the secret motivation of Autotrader?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

I have sold two vehicles in Autotrader so it's not totally bad. I had listed my 3rd vehicle on the site recently and got so many scammers (at least 26) that I just let it expire and will look elsewhere to sell it. Autotrader does not have a way to deal with scammers. Does no good to report them as they will say to just delete them. I would not recommend site to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

I listed my car on Autotrader for a week. I received about 50 messages over the week via the autotrader relay, and another 20-30 on my phone via text message (I had chosen to allow inquiries through text). Not a single one was a real human trying to buy a car. I went through dozens of longer conversations, wasting hours of my time, with scammers who ended up trying to scam me into buying fake VIN reports from specific sites, wanting all my personal info to send me fake certified or cashier checks to have me ship the car to them, people who started non-stop text messaging me trying to get me to mail them the title, changing phone numbers as soon as I could block them. And, there's no way to report the scams to Autotrader!

I called them this morning to ask for a refund and to just take my listing down, but their policy is that you can only get a full refund within 48 hours of having the listing up. The scammers were less prevalent in the first 2 days of the ad up, getting worse each day after that, so the point I received 7 messages in 2 hours this morning (1 week after listing). That was the final straw for me. Autotrader simply doesn't care that their platform is 100% scammers. They still made $30 off me, and refuse to do anything other than credit me $20. There's no way to report a scam conversation through their platform, so there's no way for them to improve their fraud detection (if they even care). Worst experience of my car selling, and I am unlikely to ever use them to sell or buy a car in the future. If you value your sanity, do not list your car on here!

Autotrader author review by Emma Simon

Autotrader has millions of vehicles to choose from. The Car Research and Review section of the site helps car buyers calculate how much they can afford to spend on a car. The site is also full of helpful educational resources to inform users on every aspect of buying and selling a car, including finding the right insurance, tips for getting a car sold and comparison photos. In addition to buying vehicles, you can also sell or trade in your car on the site.

• Dozens of search filters: The Autotrader search is second to none. Dozens of filters let users be as picky as they like.

• Apps for iOS and Android: The two Autotrader apps get great reviews from users. Create a personal account and access your saved searches and vehicles from any other mobile device or computer.

• Financing through LendingTree: Autotrader works with LendingTree, an online loan broker, to help you find the best financing for your car purchase.

• Car insurance by Geico: Autotrader has partnered with Geico to help you look for car insurance that protects you from the moment you drive off the lot.

• Bulk of cars sold through professional dealers: It can sometimes be tricky to buy a car from a private dealer. Most of Autotrader’s listings are through professional dealers, which lets you find reviews online and work with a reputable seller.

by Emma Simon ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Emma Simon is dedicated to creating accurate and valuable content that helps consumers make difficult decisions.

Autotrader.com Company Information