Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
Autotrader.com
3.62/5

Autotrader.com

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

176 Autotrader.com Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

Paid $50 for an ad on Autotrader. Ad ran 6 weeks. Nice car, good price, never got an inquiry. Lowered the price. Bought another ad. Never got a hit. Nobody wanted this car? Sent myself an inquiry through the site. Never got it. Borrowed a buddy's computer and sent an inquiry. Never got it. Contacted Autotrader to fix it. They couldn't. Asked them for my money back several times. No response. I've sold cars on Autotrader before. Worked okay, but if it doesn't work, you lose because they have your money and you get nothing.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

Bad site. Then filter is a joke, does not work. When filling in the required inquiries it shows everything. Punch in v8 engine, 2.7, litre, v6 shows up. Also they have Beta in red and the page jumps. In order to find what you are looking for you have to scroll through hundreds of vehicles. Finally you come across a V8 engine. I do not recommend this website.

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I placed 3 or 4 ads on Auto Trader and the only response was from a scammer trying to cheat me using a shipping fee ploy. I was expecting more but once used Auto Trader and tried to find my own car, I soon realized why I was not getting any action from ad. Even when I knew what I was looking for it was hard to find.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

I love Autotrader! (I imagine I might feel otherwise as a seller). The last car I bought—in 2018–, I was watching out for it for years, but then saw Honda was no longer making it in the color I wanted. So I began to look for the last car made in that color, which would have been a 2017 left-over. But the price for the car used, was barely $2,000 less than buying new! So it made sense to buy the new one. I found the car, thanks to Autotrader. There were only 4 left in California, one in Ohio, maybe one in Texas, and one in Staten Island, 1 hour away from me. I bought the one in Staten Island. As a buyer, I thoroughly recommend Autotrader!

Original review: July 23, 2019

Just spoke to "manager" Cindy. My photo ad appears in ad with wrong phone number. The manager would not run a correct ad with proper phone number for next publication. She replied that because the print ad (the little ad without photo) had the correct number! The photo ad is the one people see. Many do not know, and should not have to look for the correct number in that little print ad. Have placed many advertisements over the years and anytime such a blatant mistake made the publishers comps you an ad. No calls from this ad....wonder why? Terrible customer service. Will never advertise here again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Autotrader?

Original review: July 19, 2019

I’ve only received one serious private party interested in my excellent condition well priced clean title SUV. Many e-mails that prove to be dealers looking to pick up a car below blue book value to resale. Beware - for you private party sellers that the majority of the interested inquiries are dealers looking to lowball you. Even had one ask if I owed anything (none of their business) and if I wanted to get in to a new vehicle with his dealership. No thank you. Save your time and money by selling on other online sites if you are a private seller looking to get what your car is worth selling to another private party. Autotrader is not what it once was.

Original review: July 14, 2019

Apparently the sales people are not commissioned and could care less about customers. Having tried several different AT dealerships and finding nice but useless sales people leads to this conclusion. Asking for the simplest of things results in sales people suggesting that the request is impossible. Things like sending a copy of the "inspection" that "all cars" go through or even something as simple as sending photographs of wheels to show actual condition. Stay as far away from AT as possible. If you are a car enthusiast avoid them like the plague...

Original review: April 29, 2019

Tried to edit my ad. Kept getting the same message "There was an error saving your ad - please try again in a few minutes." Tried for a week, called their customer service during business hours a few times - no answer. Are these guys even in business? Total waste of time.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Used Autotrader website for the 2nd time; both times I was able to locate an exact car that we were looking for, AND not get a lot of other cars that we were not interested in. We now have two cars we both love, and the website was the difference. I tried two other websites; CarGurus and cars.com and they both were inferior to the Autotrader site, as far as exact requirements listed were concerned.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I have a 2011 AWD Dodge Durango Citadel model with every option in perfect condition with great pictures and write-up. In 11 days of the ad being posted online, it has only received 20 views! I have received a dozen or more inquiries from people only interested in receiving my email address and phone number, with zero questions about the car. The inquiries are generally very brief in broken English just asking for me to contact them via their Gmail account with my phone number. These are just scammers harvesting email addresses and phones numbers to sell to identity thieves. When I brought this up to Autotrader and told them I wanted my money back, they only offered me 50% back. This has been a total waste of my time and money. This previous icon in the car business needs to find a way to get to legitimate buyers or they're going to continue to go down in flames.

Autotrader expert review by Tom Rains

Autotrader has millions of vehicles to choose from. The Car Research and Review section of the site helps car buyers calculate how much they can afford to spend on a car. The site is also full of helpful educational resources to inform users on every aspect of buying and selling a car, including finding the right insurance, tips for getting a car sold and comparison photos. In addition to buying vehicles, you can also sell or trade in your car on the site.

• Dozens of search filters: The Autotrader search is second to none. Dozens of filters let users be as picky as they like.

• Apps for iOS and Android: The two Autotrader apps get great reviews from users. Create a personal account and access your saved searches and vehicles from any other mobile device or computer.

• Financing through LendingTree: Autotrader works with LendingTree, an online loan broker, to help you find the best financing for your car purchase.

• Car insurance by Geico: Autotrader has partnered with Geico to help you look for car insurance that protects you from the moment you drive off the lot.

• Bulk of cars sold through professional dealers: It can sometimes be tricky to buy a car from a private dealer. Most of Autotrader’s listings are through professional dealers, which lets you find reviews online and work with a reputable seller.

Profile picture of Tom Rains
Tom Rains ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Tom Rains graduated from the University of Oklahoma in 2014 with a master’s degree in Professional Writing. Tom’s passion for delivering quality content fuels him to provide consumers with accurate, well-researched information on major life purchases.

Autotrader.com Company Information