Autotrader.com

Stars Rating

• 1%
  • 99%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Autotrader?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Autotrader?

Reviewed May 5, 2024

I too had a horrible experience with Autotrader. Constant stream of scammers. An exhausting experience dealing with the scammers' con jobs. No legitimate buyers. I wish I would have read the Consumer Affairs reviews before wasting 49.00. DON'T USE AUTOTRADER! In fact, after reading the reviews I deleted my add and account from Autotrader.

Reviewed April 23, 2024

I too had a horrible experience with AutoTrader. Constant stream of scammers. No legitimate buyers. Customer support doesn't give a crap. Refused to give refund. A complete waste of my time and money. DON'T USE AUTOTRADER!

Sales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed April 2, 2024

These people are desperate looking to get your money. I placed an ad and everything went perfectly. Then went to place ad 2 and the site told me, "Oops a problem with your card." So I entered 3 more cards with one my debit and two more one Visa one M/C. Every time the same prompt oops. Then I looked at my bank account and saw 2 charges both paid? Upon calling them they offered no help and claimed the one charge was only pending and would fall off in a few days. Lie!!!! It had already paid the hard charge at my bank. So now I have to waste a half a day to file a dispute because they are so dishonest. Don’t wast time here. They obscounded with your money and all replies you get are scammers wanting to send you a cashiers check to get your vehicle. I have a printer too .

Reviewed Jan. 24, 2024

Back in days when Autotrader was just a magazine, I thought it was a good place to buy a car. So I paid the $49 to place a private ad. All I am getting is scammers that want personal info (email address, mailing address, phone number, etc). It is terrible. Not one legitimate buyer in two weeks. I called Autotrader to try and get refund. They won't do it. If you are a dealer, this site might still be ok. If you are a Private Seller, beware. Avoid using Autotrader.

Reviewed Nov. 20, 2023

Signed up to list my auto and had what appeared to be a legitimate offer to sell my car, but discovered it was a scam that asked me to go to various sites on the internet that were blocked by my on-line protection. Please beware of this site! Also, when reporting this to the company the day following my activation that I wanted my auto pulled from the site and to refund my payment was told that there would be no refund! User Beware!

Verified purchase
    Staff

Reviewed Nov. 10, 2023

VULTURES AND CROOKS. I paid for an ad, I live in Orlando, FL. The ad kept appearing as Daytona Beach, FL, an hour away. When I asked for a refund and to cancel the ad, the rep refused to let me speak to a supervisor, and refused the refund, even though I did not at all get what I paid for.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Oct. 27, 2023

I purchased a vehicle on the private seller exchange at the end of June. It is now the end of October. According to the website, the company would make the process seamless by handling all paperwork. It’s been 4+ months and I still cannot get my title from Autotrader. I have called, emailed, called and emailed again. I’ve been promised gift cards and refunds and follow up that literally never comes. If I call after 5, it’s too late to talk to anyone but if I call before 5 everyone is always in meetings. Or off for the day. Or any other bogus excuse to not do the very simple job of processing my title.

My bank has tried to contact them repeatedly as well and has been met with promises of follow up that also never comes. Autotrader couldn’t even bother to keep my temp tags that they issued up to date despite me calling a week ahead of time to ask them to issue updated temp tags as mine were about to expire. I had to park the car for 3 days because it was illegal to drive and nobody was available at Autotrader. The company didn’t bother to issue the new tags until I called and talked to multiple people while stuck at home with no transportation.

Here’s what I know from a supervisor in titling: Autotrader acquired a company that supposedly does the title work back in February. They’ve been behind from the beginning as they weren’t prepared for the influx of business. This means that they were underwater with customers for over 4 months when I fell prey to their predatory practices, and they continue to advertise this service to this day knowing that they are incapable of providing it. I was informed that they are sitting on 6+ months worth of paperwork. This all came from a supervisor in the titling department.

In addition, I’ve repeatedly requested contact information in regards to filing a class action lawsuit and they refused to give any contact info. I’m told over and over again to call the 1-800 number that leads to nobody who knows anything about anything and a promise of follow up that never happens. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY! They are unethical and inept. It’s taken months for them to do what I could have done in 15 minutes. It’s disgusting that they keep preying on car buyers.

Reviewed Oct. 24, 2023

Selling on Autotrader has been a DISASTER. I received FOUR spam inquiries trying to get me to either use a 3rd-party (not CarFax) technical assessment product that was clearly intended only to get me to pay them money or to use a payment method that was phoney. All were from buyers located 2,000 to 3,000 miles away and had no intention of coming to see the car. They stopped asking once I questioned how far away they were. I then got an offer from Autotrader Private Seller Exchange which I accepted.

Despite them saying that they could reduce or rescind the offer if the car was not as advertised (which is reasonable) after I went through the seller verification and provided my bank details they called me and after discussion they simply changed their mind and withdrew the offer because THEY HAD NOT READ the description of the vehicle in my ad - which was 100% accurate of the car's condition. Furthermore, although I got emails saying that I had messages I was not able to read the messages once logged in. A complete and utter terrible experience!!

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed Oct. 17, 2023

The website made no promises for a sale. All I received in responses was two scammers. I posted the exact same ad with the same on Craigslist and sold the vehicle within 24 hours. Not sure what the problem is with Autotrader but the person who purchased my vehicle said he stopped looking at Autotrader a long time ago.

Reviewed Oct. 12, 2023

I have sold a couple vehicles on Autotrader back when it was decent to use, although it had its glitches then too. NOW!? Autotrader.com is pure garbage. Both on the buying and selling side. Seems like they’re trying to milk you for all you’re worth, and giving you a worse experience while doing so. Do you Like talking to someone on the phone about a potential vehicle purchase? Or perhaps to someone looking to buy yours? Too bad. When buying/selling a used car, Autotrader no longer allows you to share contact info. News flash AUTOTRADER, most of your demographic is old school individuals that prefer old school communication. Save your time and money and list elsewhere. Craigslist is still very effective.

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed Sept. 27, 2023

AUTOTRADER CHARGES $49- WITH NO REFUND POLICY! They do not divulge to you that you can not include your contact information in your listing eg. phone number, so no potential buyers can call you direct. They also do not divulge that they want to charge you a percentage of the sale ($$$ hundreds of dollars) of the vehicle sale price, until after you have paid them. Read the reviews before paying them. They speak for themselves.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Sept. 22, 2023

Autotrader is a joke. There are so many other places to sell your vehicle that are reliable and want your service like Car gurus. I was trying to sell my mother's car. She's 78 and can't hear. She doesn't know about scams or people out to take her money. Auto trader refused to sell her car for me. I made the mistake of putting the add in my name but it flagged that I wasn't the owner of the vehicle. I showed proof of title and offered to send any documentation they needed to show that my mother and I live together and that I would be handling the sale of her car. They refused allow my mother to put the add in her name.

They basically refused to let us fix the mistake. They would rather I lie about who I am to sell the car. If you're helping your elderly parent sell a car then just lie and say you're that person. They seem to respond to that better than the truth! Never again will I deal with Auto trader. Funny thing is we're about to buy 2 new cars and my teenager will be driving in a year so that make 3 new cars in the next year or 2. I WON'T even look at Auto trader.

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed Sept. 12, 2023

I recently had an experience with Auto Trader that left me feeling frustrated and disappointed. I want to share my experience to help others make informed decisions when considering their services. I signed up for Auto Trader with high hopes based on their promises of finding great selling on vehicles and making the process of selling a car easy. Unfortunately, my experience did not align with these promises.

First and foremost, I found that the platform's listings often contained outdated or incorrect information. This led to wasted time and money and effort on my part. Additionally, I encountered fraud and unethical charges that significantly increased the overall cost selling my car on Auto Trader. Their pricing structure felt misleading, and I believe they should be more transparent about these costs upfront.

Furthermore, the customer support I received when trying to resolve these issues was less than satisfactory -0. It took a considerable amount of time and effort to get in touch with their support team, and when I finally did, the resolution was slow and not entirely helpful. In summary, my experience with Auto Trader did not live up to my expectations, and I would caution others to thoroughly research and consider alternative options before using their services. I think this is fraud company and beware beware beware!!! Awful experience and horrible customer service.

Price

Reviewed Aug. 14, 2023

There is no option to disable or opt-out of their Private Seller Exchange, where the buyer pays AutoTrader, who then takes $480 of the selling price $48,019.00, plus the $49 listing fee. Site very misleading, says I can "Earn $10,866 more with our services". This is NOT true! Site also says "Selling With Us, You Get $48,019" which is $480 less then my asking price. They have a no refund policy. Not the same AutoTrader from years ago. I susgest you do not waste your time or money.

Reviewed Aug. 14, 2023

AutoTraders Private Seller Exchange is one of the worst auto-selling sites. After having to pay for the listing. Did not get a proper advertisement for my vehicle. Customer service was not helpful and just told me to review their policies and did not provide any actual help. Continued to get spam messages and never received any real buyers. Only was connected with unregistered buyers and people who were never serious about buying a vehicle. Not a good experience. Definitely better off using another site or FaceBook, it's FREE, and they do not charge any other fees. Would give zero stars if I could.

Reviewed Aug. 1, 2023

Autotrader used to be fine before it teamed up with Tred, now it seems like it's only a money grab, facebook is a lot easier than autotrader to buy and sell, they need to disban from Tred and become their own company and let customer sell to dealers which sometimes are the only legit buyers, reason why facebook marketplace is on top. It's free and it doesn't block communication.

Sales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed July 30, 2023

By far the biggest SCAM currently on the For Sale vehicle market place. You pay money to be placed in tiny print or in the back of the line, but wait there’s more, if you spend a little more, we might make you visible for 5 mins. DO NOT waste your time or money on this SCAM advertising. Private Sellers are treated like garbage and we DO NOT get the notoriety that dealerships do; not like we did back in the day when Auto Trader was legitimate, honest and treated people equally.

Reviewed July 22, 2023

As a buyer I was frustrated by the dominance of dealer posts. Used to be this was the place for the regular Joes to swap cars. Not anymore. Even some of the supposed "private party" ads are dealer ads. I had very a difficult time getting private parties to respond. Some never did at all. Finally gave up, found and bought a car off Craigslist.

Reviewed July 22, 2023

They buy and sell and take your money but when it comes to getting your title and plates forget about it! My temporary registration is about to expire with no notification of when it will ever come inside! When you call customer service they treat you like absolute crap and hang up on you! Have I just gone to the DMV with all of them done in one day instead I paid them and trusted them to get this done! I feel court action is on the cards! Never again!

Reviewed July 17, 2023

I purchased a vehicle on June 8, 2023 and today is July 17th and I still don't have the title. Initially they blamed the seller for not getting them the paperwork but the seller provided me a confirmation from Autotrader indicating they received all of the documents. On 7/7/23 I'm told I'll have the title by 7/12/23. I call them again on 7/14/23 and am told they don't have the paperwork from the seller. I tell them about the confirmation I have and Tracy asks me to hold. Returns to the call and says she'll send it out 2nd day delivery. This morning I get tracking info that says it'll be delivered 7/20/23, 7 WEEKS after the purchase date. All the while the vehicle sits in the garage, undrivable.

Price

Reviewed July 12, 2023

Site is horrible. Broken links, difficult to use, VERY FEW LEADS. Instant sale is a poor tool as well, especially adding photos. Overall a lame site with poor options, no leads & costs you $50 to list. There are free sites to sell on that are MUCH better & sites that only charge you if car sells. All better options than Autotrader.

Profile pic of the author.
    Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed July 10, 2023

Placed a truck for sale in AutoTrader used KBB as a pricing guide and prostate below KBB value! AutoTrader rates it as a good price but I have looked at exactly the same vehicles that had 22,000 miles and one had 15,000 miles that were priced 4000 above mine and they were rated as a great deal I’m not sure how they determined your standard but I don’t think it is fair, also, private party sales are listed way down below dealer sales I had placed mine and I went looking for it and I could not find it unless I used very specific details of the vehicle. It was nowhere to be found within 10 miles or 25 miles of my ZIP Code I have gotten a few inquiries the first day that ended up not responding back and I have not got any more. AutoTrader is a waste. I used it before and they placed my vehicle upfront with extra pictures for an additional price I paid the extra price this time and still I cannot find the don’t waste your money.

Reviewed June 26, 2023

Our Ad has been in for 1 week and all we have had is scammers. Don't waste the $$, not worth the headache. They say they "verify" buyers, but so far I have not seen they are doing a very good job doing this.

Reviewed June 21, 2023

I was buying a new and was at the dealer on 6/16/2023. I agreed with the dealer on a vehicle and was awaiting loan approval, we went home and agreed to pick up the car on 6/17/2023. Before leaving we discussed a trade in on a 2012 Camry and I decided to sleep on it. I was interested at what the fair market value was so I went to the AutoTrader website. The value was listed for several thousand more than the dealership offered so I created an account, built an ad and followed the directions. The next step was payment so I entered my credit card and according to the actual directions I had two more steps to complete the transaction. The first was an identity verification (verify I was who I claimed) and finally I was instructed to take a picture of my title front and rear and send it to autotrader. I did not want to do the last step and decided not to use the service.

Two days later I am getting email after email from prospective buyers. Problem is their instructions are written in such a way that I believed the transaction would expire. I contacted them when the emails started and they basically said too bad so sad. Immediately they asked if I wanted the ad taken down, I responded I had traded the car in two days earlier so they disabled the account obstructing me from reviewing the experience on their site. If the directions were more clear I would have immediately called and cancelled. Furthermore, while their phone representative asked her superiors for a refund she also admitted this has been a problem for some time. Ambiguous directions and complete refusal to provide any form of partial refund.

Reviewed June 14, 2023

I paid $49 for a system that doesn't work, trying to upload photos but impossible and yes I did make sure that the size are correct. The system is not friendly at all, they ask for a lot of personal information, supposedly to avoid spam and received to scam on the first day and nothing else since but still cannot download any pictures. Really bad experience, will try others! Thierry

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed May 25, 2023

Car was listed per normal process. Got scammed two times. Got agreed price from two mega used car companies but no pick up. Very slow server handling communication. Sold the car on Facebook Marketplace. Will not come back here again.

Reviewed May 11, 2023

I paid $49.95 to place an ad for my used car on AutoTrader. The only inquiries I received were from scam artists pitching cashiers checks and other weird ways of payment. My ad clearly said cash only. I placed an ad on Facebook marketplace for free and sold it for the asking price the next day from a nice, local couple paying cash. I'm not shilling for FB as I'm not a huge fan, but in this case it was far superior. Autotrader only gave me grief for my money.

Reviewed April 25, 2023

Received 9 sales leads over a 4 day and all were scammers. All with the similar story about being from another state, wife will mail certified check, don't need to see car, look good...just give me your address!! Not one real inquiry. What a magnificent waste of $49. And when I contacted AutoTrader about the scammers, they were of NO help.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingPriceStaff

Reviewed March 9, 2023

I purchased an ad from Autotrader Classics for 6 months @ $99.00. I had numerous scammers trying to contact me via email. They all said the same story, they agreed to the price and would even pay more via a cashiers check then send someone to pickup the vehicle and title. They all have very poor grammar and basically sound as though they are in a different country.

When I spoke to a representative from Autotrader.com he said that they would not give me a refund as I had "several views" and that is what they sell. When I told him that every person who was interested in the vehicle was a scammer and that Autotrader.com stated that their filters would limit the scammers trying to email the sellers, he said that they can only do what they can do. The company was not willing to accept the fact that scammers have pretty much taken over their ads. Buyer beware! DO NOT ADVERTISE WITH AUTOTRADER.COM. YOU WILL NOT BE HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS!

Reviewed March 8, 2023

Anytime you start editing options the site goes haywire... I wanted to look at Ford mustangs and it kept showing me BMWs.... Extremely frustrating to say the least.... Garbage, considering what they charge dealers to advertise.

Autotrader.com Company Information