Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
Autotrader.com
3.68/5

Autotrader.com

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

173 Autotrader.com Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Spotlight Ad I paid extra for was only 2 weeks and I never saw it on the site. Slow to upload pictures, slow to let me know when ad was posted. Ad was buried in dealership ads from all over the country. I did not get any legitimate offers. Very user unfriendly.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

10+ years ago, I used to sell all my used vehicles on Autotrader with great success. Unfortunately, this is now a failing business who doesn’t pay for their pay-per-click marketing and fails to verify their international scammers. After paying $240 to post two ads I have received 12-15 emails from nothing but scammers who can barely formulate coherent sentences. I set the price lower than KBB's recommendation and have lowered the price four times over six weeks. STILL NOT A SINGLE LEGITIMATE BUYER!!! Please don’t waste your money supporting this failing business!!! It is a waste of money and significant time dealing with scammers!!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I really wish I would have looked at this webpage & reviews before dropping $100 on Autotrader. I got nothing but scammers from the ad I placed there. In 2-months I did not get a single legitimate inquiry from this ad. Oh, & their reporting tools are worthless. It reported zero hard inquiries for both email & phone number pulls but I got both. All came from Southern California or Canada Area codes and I live in Louisiana. I reported all the scammers and got the standard reply. I also reported the software problem on the reporting tools and got a reply that amounted to "Sorry, we're working on it". Very sad situation. You're better off placing an ad on FB. I sold it from there after only 2-weeks.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I received 2 request for information on my BMW and they were both scams. Don't waste your money! They were very good about trying to gain your trust but wouldn't answer questions when asked. They kept saying they wanted to send me money.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I was stupid and didn't read reviews before paying for an Autotrader ad. Since placing the ad, 100% of the "interested" parties were scammers and phishers. What an ** annoyance! Super glad I spent $39 to be hassled. Thanks Autotrader.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Autotrader?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I strongly recommend reading through all of the negative comments posted here by others, many of them mirror my experience almost verbatim. By the way, Autotrader has known for years about all the overseas scam "buyers" who flood your inbox but they have done nothing about it. I listed a relatively new vehicle in great shape way below its blue book value for just over two months and these were literally the only kinds of "buyers" I heard from. "Nice product you've got there, fellas."

Also, if you are looking to sell your vehicle outright, i.e. not trade it in to purchase/lease from a dealer, don't waste your time with the Kelley Blue Book "instant cash offer". You get a bunch of emails from local dealer "partners" who say they need inventory and want to buy your vehicle, but the minute you tell them you won't be purchasing a new one from them, you never hear from them again. The offer is very misleading, and supports some of the comments by others that AT sold out to the dealerships long ago. Autotrader, you are a very dishonest organization.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I used Autotrader 5 times in the past to find excellent cars from private sellers. Private sellers are easy to work with and the prices are 3-5 thousand dollars cheaper than a dealer. They have now been bought out by the large dealers and no longer offer private seller searches. Bye Bye Autotrader. Will not be using you again, ever.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

OVERVALUATION. They value your car high, you don't sell, they make additional advertising revenue when you upgrade. MISLEADING PRICE SIGNALS. 80% plus of their revenue comes from traders so they structure products for them. So for example the good price/great price comparison icon is only offered to traders. if you know your behavioural science that means traders can pay for priming. your car may be better value than trade equivalent, but thats tough. Interestingly Autotrader say there is no evidence to suggest the pricing signal negatively impacts private sellers. So question is inevitably why offer it? Clearly they recognise someone is losing out, traders paying for a service that doesn't work or private sellers not getting the impact they think they have paid for.

EXPENSIVE. They use price architecture to encourage you to buy more expensive products. E.g. Two weeks for £40 or 6 weeks for £70. Our primitive brains say bargain. We follow the most people choose route, more behavioural science. You may be better off using free services like RAC, tootle, Webuyanycar.com (much better than they used to be), Gumtree before you spend money on AutoTrader.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

They claim to offer free ads but are a waste of time. Spent or actually wasted a lot of time to place a ad on a really poorly designed posting format that is so poorly designed it took an 1/2 hour and still could not override their useless posting format. Eventually got ad posted and then they call you to try and upsell the listing and when you refuse to pay for the ad - they remove it. This site sucks big time obviously designed for dealers only. HATE FRAUD OR SCAM SITES AND TO ME THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT THIS IS - DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I sold a 2004 Thunderbird Pacific Coast Roadster one of a thousand in Auto Trader. It was hard to sell it due to false advertising by customers trying to pass off their 2004 Thunderbirds as Pacific Coast Roadsters. I have been trying with emails and phone calls to have these cars removed. As of today there are 10 Pacific Coast roadsters for sale. 5 are fake. Real Pacific Coast Roadsters have a 63 in their Vin.#. They all came in green. They all have a # stamped in their glove compartment. This is what I passed on to Autotrader with no response.

Autotrader.com Company Information