Autotrader.com

Autotrader.com

1.0/5 (31 ratings)

About Autotrader.com

Autotrader.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Autotrader.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Autotrader?

Original review: July 15, 2022

Used to think Auto Trader was a decent place to sell a car back in the day when they had an actual magazine out. Now online only, Turns out they bury your listing under 1000s of listing from dealers. Only responses I received were from Bots, not one responded to my response. This site is a true waste of time. If you're looking to buy it may be a different story but be cautious. My effort for a refund failed, not even a discussion. I will spread the word that this site is not worth trying.

Original review: July 11, 2022

Not only did Autotrader take 4 days to post my car for sale but the only responses I received were scammers. 4 Different names but same email address. Only offered a check for more than my asking price. I send a gift card for the difference. No thank you. I should of listened to my friend. It's a waste of $50.

Original review: June 28, 2022

I purchased an ad on Auto Trader to sell my vehicle. It specially says the ad will be good for a year until the vehicle sells. After not getting responses other than from dealers lowballing; I went to update my ad. It was no longer listed. When I called customer service they said it was inactive. I asked to reactivate the ad since vehicle had not sold. That is when they said one must reactivate ad every 30 days or otherwise I would need to start a new ad and pay again. Bait and switch, not to mention I never received 1 legitimate offer even though the vehicle was priced per their recommendation. Scam. Don’t waste your money.

Original review: May 28, 2022

In 2 weeks I have not received any legit interest in my ad. Not even lowball offers because I said in the ad that dealers need not respond. I've received several phishing texts and a scam offer to send me a check via UPS and buy the car sight unseen. Autotrader has multiple articles on their site to discourage buyers from buying from private sellers. Wasted $50. Today I started receiving spam to my gmail account that I've had for years and almost never use. The only new use was autotrader and I've gotten several Fitbit and Best Buy scams to reset my password, I don't even have accounts with Fitbit and Best Buy.

Original review: May 22, 2022

Waste of time and $49. Fake responses. Odd responses. And those that are actual response are always low ball offers over the phone for thousands less than advertised price. So they are wholesalers looking to flip your car. Waste of time and money. No credibility here. I wrote Autotrader and asked for my money back and told them why. No response of course.

Original review: May 21, 2022

Listed a car on Autotrader, Craigslist and Cars.com. On Autotrader 90% of the inquiries were scammers and a few low-ball offers. The scammers want to communicate via text so they can limit their exposure on Autotrader. The technique is "I will send you a certified check, car unseen, by UPS.." Anyway that's how it starts. Be very careful using this site and if you decide to sell, only accept cash or direct transfer via Zell. Odds are you just threw away your $50.00 on Autotrader.

Original review: May 13, 2022

Don't bother with this "service." You will lose $49 just to have scammers bombard you with messages. They don't do a thing about them. You will have better luck with a free local marketplace ad. So disappointing!

Original review: May 7, 2022

Very disappointed. Had my Ad up for not even a week. Just cancelled my ad. ALL I GOT was SCAMMERS who responded. People who sent messages asking me to contact them outside of Autotrader. I paid for my AD and got ZERO interested people. I feel like Autotrader took my money and did not provide the service they advertise. VERY DISAPPOINTING and more so since their site says NO REFUNDS. So I am out my money and now have to sell my vehicle elsewhere. I lost time and money.

Original review: April 6, 2022

I completed the information required by the site to sell my automobile. I received an email saying everything was fine. I checked a few days later only to find that the listing was "pending". I contacted their support team via chat. They couldn't help. They said I would have to call. I called and got put on hold twice. Then the person said she would have to contact someone else. Clearly, none of these individuals had any idea what happened. I asked for a refund and explanation. So far, I have received neither.

Original review: April 1, 2022

They allow dealers to post listing of cars that are sold with ridiculous low prices just to get you to call and they also allow dealers to list cars that are certified that are too old to be certified. I emailed them about this and never got a response.

Original review: March 13, 2022

I will never use Autotrader again and will actively discourage others from using it. It was a complete waste of time and money as all I got was scammers. Autotrader needs to screen potential buyers in some way to prevent this from happening. I did learn about a few new ways scammers try to suck you in so there is that - I hope that is not the secret motivation of Autotrader?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

I have sold two vehicles in Autotrader so it's not totally bad. I had listed my 3rd vehicle on the site recently and got so many scammers (at least 26) that I just let it expire and will look elsewhere to sell it. Autotrader does not have a way to deal with scammers. Does no good to report them as they will say to just delete them. I would not recommend site to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

I listed my car on Autotrader for a week. I received about 50 messages over the week via the autotrader relay, and another 20-30 on my phone via text message (I had chosen to allow inquiries through text). Not a single one was a real human trying to buy a car. I went through dozens of longer conversations, wasting hours of my time, with scammers who ended up trying to scam me into buying fake VIN reports from specific sites, wanting all my personal info to send me fake certified or cashier checks to have me ship the car to them, people who started non-stop text messaging me trying to get me to mail them the title, changing phone numbers as soon as I could block them. And, there's no way to report the scams to Autotrader!

I called them this morning to ask for a refund and to just take my listing down, but their policy is that you can only get a full refund within 48 hours of having the listing up. The scammers were less prevalent in the first 2 days of the ad up, getting worse each day after that, so the point I received 7 messages in 2 hours this morning (1 week after listing). That was the final straw for me. Autotrader simply doesn't care that their platform is 100% scammers. They still made $30 off me, and refuse to do anything other than credit me $20. There's no way to report a scam conversation through their platform, so there's no way for them to improve their fraud detection (if they even care). Worst experience of my car selling, and I am unlikely to ever use them to sell or buy a car in the future. If you value your sanity, do not list your car on here!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

Purchased an ad to try & sell my 2017 Ford Explorer. Had a ton of messages flooding my message box, 95% scams (some pretty clever ones). I do not have time to sort through & deal with scammers, especially when I am paying for an ad service. I guess I will stick with the free add places that have less scammers. They got their last $50 out of me.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

This is the worst place you can try to sell a car. I had over 60 offers/inquiries on my car, sounds great, but everyone was a scam. I did not have one solid offer to buy the car or even see it. The vehicle was priced well under Kelley Blue Book so it was not a pricing issue or quality of the vehicle itself. What ended up happening as well is that I got offers on the vehicle from the dealers who prowl this site that was 2-3 times what they offered when I brought the car in. DO NOT waste the $50 on this. Side note the free vehicle report was not accurate in the least bit in relation to accidents or even owners of the car.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

Paid $49 to place ad. All it got me was fraudulent offers and an email inbox full of spam. All reported to Autotrader fraud alert system. The offer made by Autotrader/KBB was one of the lowest offers received from dealers. If you have $49 to waste, list your vehicle here.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

I placed an ad for an electric car. It inserted a range for the car that was wrong. It was taking forever to fix and then they blamed it on the manufacturer. I know FOR A FACT that the OEM does not list that range for the model I have. There was no way for me to change the listed range. There was no way for customer no-service to change it either. The range was so low anyone looking for my vehicle would have eliminated my ad. I would strongly avoid. Also, mostly scammer responses, but that is to be expected.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

Paid $49 for scammers to offer me fraudulent checks for the sale of my car. Autotrader is defining themselves by allowing this to continue and perpetuating a trend just to make money by their own false advertisement of services they provide.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

$49 buys you non-stop scams and spams of fake buyers. I had a 'too good to be true' kind of offer, so I played along, only to have my instincts verified. A fake certified check arrives via FedEx overnight. Called the owner of the company listed on the check, they had no idea what was happening. I submitted a formal complaint to the IC3.gov fraud reporting site with all of the details. After a week of getting bogus inquiries, non-responses, and a solid scam, I sold my car to a local dealership, no hassles, 100% safe and a very fair deal. Lesson learned cost: $49.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

It cost 49$ to list my car for sell, privately. 100% of the responses are scammers. This is absolutely exhausting to go through this over and over each day. What a sad society we live in where there are no consequences for these criminals. Autotrader.com is responsible for managing this. But it's clear they put no effort into protecting their clientele.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

I have had my car listed for 2 months now, received over 2 dozen inquiries of which 95% or so (1 legitimate) were scams/Robo initiated contacts. I've also sold other cars on this site and it has gotten worse over the last couple of years. It has become a waste of time. DealerTrack, the parent company does nothing to trap these scams and does not police the site. The common scam is to "pay by cashier check" and pick up the car when the "check clears". Cashier checks can be faked so Buyer Beware!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2021

Autotrader charges $50 to list your vehicle but CarGurus only charges $5. Almost every inquiry I received from Autotrader was a scammer. Managing your ad is frustrating to say the least. It very much seems catered to dealers. Overall much better experience and more user friendly ad management over at CarGurus. I do not recommend Autotrader for private sellers. Please research where to sell before using Autotrader. Save your time and money by posting elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

My experience with Autotrader hasn't always been positive. But the team I've been communicating with recently actually listens to your requests and goes above and beyond to make changes that improve your dealer site and inventory - which is extremely important because it's essentially the face of your business online. Nick **, my account rep is always available and eager to help. Every conversation I've had with him ends stress-free and my issue/request resolved. David(?) in Support/Sales was extremely helpful, relaxed and knowledgeable. He took time to explain the why behind their site rather than just pitching the upsell. Because of the two gentlemen above, Autotrader has by far been the best experience for advertising cars we've had.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

The website is purely designed to dealers, I spend $50 to advertise my used car as private seller, but the tools are not friendly at all, I had pretty much just 1 message (compared to competitor that I got 15 + sold my car), you don't receive a note when you got a message neither to navigate and manage your ad is not easy. Sounds like they encourage you to give your call to a dealer (which all of us know that is another challenge). So my overall rating here is 1 star, do not recommend use Autotrader to private seller.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

Went on 8/7/21 to look at a car that was advertised for $4999.00. The salesman that helped us was Cory. Said the car was being sold by John **. That it was his Aunt’s car. We made a offer of $4500.00. On Monday 8/9/21 Cory texted me and said that they would only take the $4999.00 Firm. So I texted him back and said we would be there between 4-4:30. He said they would be there. Then as we are getting ready to leave I get a text saying that they sold it. That someone offered them more money. Yeah, when you repost it for more money. Shady shady shady!!! This is why used car sales get such a bad name. I definitely would not recommend anyone using them and if they do this I wonder what they hide on these cars. Also, when you test drive it there was no oil in the engine. NONE. I believe that John ** Cimino was behind all of this bad business.

Original review: July 5, 2021

When I listed my car for sale, I based the asking price on what other sellers listed for. I came to realize that for private sellers, the site doesn't give the same "Great Price" or "Good Price" tag unless it's listed for much lower than what dealers list for. Example: A vehicle listed by a dealer for $35k with 35,000 miles will get a "Great Price" tag whereas a private seller listing same vehicle (year, make, model, trim level) with lower miles and lower asking price. Will not get the same tag. My same listing had no tag indicating great or good price. Only when I reduced asking price by $3k, was my ad tagged as a "Great Price." KBB gives private sellers a false sense of value in their vehicles, then AutoTrader charges $49 to list on their site.

I eventually sold my vehicle (well under KBB value) but could've just went to CarMax or Carvana for an almost equivalent offer without having to go through the whole process of coordinating showings, test drives, flakey customers or non serious buyers. At the very least, AutoTrader should treat all their clients with the same benefit regardless if they're a dealer or private seller.

Original review: April 30, 2021

The car was listed briefly a couple of days but had to remove it as I ultimately never won the car auction (back in January). Upon contacting support, they refused to issue a refund, or even change the car advert to the vehicle I actually own. In essence, I made a card payment of £50, and they provided absolutely nothing, just keeping the money! They couldn't care less about customer service during lockdown either, completely opportunistic behaviour. Laughable and atrocious policy - I'm simply shocked a company of this size would seek to retain money in such a deceitful and dirty manner. Have filed a complaint with the Ombudsman.

Original review: April 12, 2021

From start to finish a great place to buy vehicle. Customer service is super. They do everything they can to get you in the perfect vehicle. They answer all your questions to the end result. After your purchase they make sure it is to your 100% satisfaction. Purchase your next vehicle here.

Original review: March 28, 2021

Autotrader is where you can see 100s of vehicle fast and easy. Screening tools help you see only what your looking for or you can make it more expansive. The virtual tours give you that test drive feeling. I have bought and sold several cars, motorcycles and boats over the years and it has always been a pleasant experience.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

Closing my account. Autotrader is fake heartless people and racist because my name not what fits in your business and you can't bear that people like us do well. They only care for themself. Look down at people like us because of our name.

Autotrader.com Company Information