Autotrader.com

Autotrader.com

3.5/5 (236 ratings)
Find a Car Dealerships partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Autotrader.com

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Autotrader.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Autotrader.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Autotrader?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

Purchased an ad to try & sell my 2017 Ford Explorer. Had a ton of messages flooding my message box, 95% scams (some pretty clever ones). I do not have time to sort through & deal with scammers, especially when I am paying for an ad service. I guess I will stick with the free add places that have less scammers. They got their last $50 out of me.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

This is the worst place you can try to sell a car. I had over 60 offers/inquiries on my car, sounds great, but everyone was a scam. I did not have one solid offer to buy the car or even see it. The vehicle was priced well under Kelley Blue Book so it was not a pricing issue or quality of the vehicle itself. What ended up happening as well is that I got offers on the vehicle from the dealers who prowl this site that was 2-3 times what they offered when I brought the car in. DO NOT waste the $50 on this. Side note the free vehicle report was not accurate in the least bit in relation to accidents or even owners of the car.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

Paid $49 to place ad. All it got me was fraudulent offers and an email inbox full of spam. All reported to Autotrader fraud alert system. The offer made by Autotrader/KBB was one of the lowest offers received from dealers. If you have $49 to waste, list your vehicle here.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

I placed an ad for an electric car. It inserted a range for the car that was wrong. It was taking forever to fix and then they blamed it on the manufacturer. I know FOR A FACT that the OEM does not list that range for the model I have. There was no way for me to change the listed range. There was no way for customer no-service to change it either. The range was so low anyone looking for my vehicle would have eliminated my ad. I would strongly avoid. Also, mostly scammer responses, but that is to be expected.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

Paid $49 for scammers to offer me fraudulent checks for the sale of my car. Autotrader is defining themselves by allowing this to continue and perpetuating a trend just to make money by their own false advertisement of services they provide.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

$49 buys you non-stop scams and spams of fake buyers. I had a 'too good to be true' kind of offer, so I played along, only to have my instincts verified. A fake certified check arrives via FedEx overnight. Called the owner of the company listed on the check, they had no idea what was happening. I submitted a formal complaint to the IC3.gov fraud reporting site with all of the details. After a week of getting bogus inquiries, non-responses, and a solid scam, I sold my car to a local dealership, no hassles, 100% safe and a very fair deal. Lesson learned cost: $49.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

It cost 49$ to list my car for sell, privately. 100% of the responses are scammers. This is absolutely exhausting to go through this over and over each day. What a sad society we live in where there are no consequences for these criminals. Autotrader.com is responsible for managing this. But it's clear they put no effort into protecting their clientele.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

I have had my car listed for 2 months now, received over 2 dozen inquiries of which 95% or so (1 legitimate) were scams/Robo initiated contacts. I've also sold other cars on this site and it has gotten worse over the last couple of years. It has become a waste of time. DealerTrack, the parent company does nothing to trap these scams and does not police the site. The common scam is to "pay by cashier check" and pick up the car when the "check clears". Cashier checks can be faked so Buyer Beware!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2021

Autotrader charges $50 to list your vehicle but CarGurus only charges $5. Almost every inquiry I received from Autotrader was a scammer. Managing your ad is frustrating to say the least. It very much seems catered to dealers. Overall much better experience and more user friendly ad management over at CarGurus. I do not recommend Autotrader for private sellers. Please research where to sell before using Autotrader. Save your time and money by posting elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

My experience with Autotrader hasn't always been positive. But the team I've been communicating with recently actually listens to your requests and goes above and beyond to make changes that improve your dealer site and inventory - which is extremely important because it's essentially the face of your business online. Nick **, my account rep is always available and eager to help. Every conversation I've had with him ends stress-free and my issue/request resolved. David(?) in Support/Sales was extremely helpful, relaxed and knowledgeable. He took time to explain the why behind their site rather than just pitching the upsell. Because of the two gentlemen above, Autotrader has by far been the best experience for advertising cars we've had.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

The website is purely designed to dealers, I spend $50 to advertise my used car as private seller, but the tools are not friendly at all, I had pretty much just 1 message (compared to competitor that I got 15 + sold my car), you don't receive a note when you got a message neither to navigate and manage your ad is not easy. Sounds like they encourage you to give your call to a dealer (which all of us know that is another challenge). So my overall rating here is 1 star, do not recommend use Autotrader to private seller.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

Went on 8/7/21 to look at a car that was advertised for $4999.00. The salesman that helped us was Cory. Said the car was being sold by John **. That it was his Aunt’s car. We made a offer of $4500.00. On Monday 8/9/21 Cory texted me and said that they would only take the $4999.00 Firm. So I texted him back and said we would be there between 4-4:30. He said they would be there. Then as we are getting ready to leave I get a text saying that they sold it. That someone offered them more money. Yeah, when you repost it for more money. Shady shady shady!!! This is why used car sales get such a bad name. I definitely would not recommend anyone using them and if they do this I wonder what they hide on these cars. Also, when you test drive it there was no oil in the engine. NONE. I believe that John ** Cimino was behind all of this bad business.

Original review: July 5, 2021

When I listed my car for sale, I based the asking price on what other sellers listed for. I came to realize that for private sellers, the site doesn't give the same "Great Price" or "Good Price" tag unless it's listed for much lower than what dealers list for. Example: A vehicle listed by a dealer for $35k with 35,000 miles will get a "Great Price" tag whereas a private seller listing same vehicle (year, make, model, trim level) with lower miles and lower asking price. Will not get the same tag. My same listing had no tag indicating great or good price. Only when I reduced asking price by $3k, was my ad tagged as a "Great Price." KBB gives private sellers a false sense of value in their vehicles, then AutoTrader charges $49 to list on their site.

I eventually sold my vehicle (well under KBB value) but could've just went to CarMax or Carvana for an almost equivalent offer without having to go through the whole process of coordinating showings, test drives, flakey customers or non serious buyers. At the very least, AutoTrader should treat all their clients with the same benefit regardless if they're a dealer or private seller.

Original review: April 30, 2021

The car was listed briefly a couple of days but had to remove it as I ultimately never won the car auction (back in January). Upon contacting support, they refused to issue a refund, or even change the car advert to the vehicle I actually own. In essence, I made a card payment of £50, and they provided absolutely nothing, just keeping the money! They couldn't care less about customer service during lockdown either, completely opportunistic behaviour. Laughable and atrocious policy - I'm simply shocked a company of this size would seek to retain money in such a deceitful and dirty manner. Have filed a complaint with the Ombudsman.

Original review: April 12, 2021

From start to finish a great place to buy vehicle. Customer service is super. They do everything they can to get you in the perfect vehicle. They answer all your questions to the end result. After your purchase they make sure it is to your 100% satisfaction. Purchase your next vehicle here.

Original review: March 28, 2021

Autotrader is where you can see 100s of vehicle fast and easy. Screening tools help you see only what your looking for or you can make it more expansive. The virtual tours give you that test drive feeling. I have bought and sold several cars, motorcycles and boats over the years and it has always been a pleasant experience.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

Closing my account. Autotrader is fake heartless people and racist because my name not what fits in your business and you can't bear that people like us do well. They only care for themself. Look down at people like us because of our name.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

A lot of the trucks we looked at were at low-end, used dealerships or they did not have the vehicle listed when we called or drove over. We ended up buying a truck from a local dealership. We ran into bait and switch ads often using this site.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

This is the worst site to sell a vehicle. 1. We can’t respond to sellers. We can’t edit the ad. 2. The pictures we posted are gone and now it takes you to two car dealerships. 4. We can’t delete the ad. 5. Had a tech guy work on this and he couldn’t do it. 6. Customer service is only a request to send an email. 7. Finally called the Quebec number. They said, “We have no customer service in Alberta!!” Truer words were never said.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

I've used Autotrader to buy and sell many cars over the years. There are plenty of options to list your vehicle, including pictures, highlighted ads, etc. When searching for a vehicle to purchase, you can be very specific with many search options. They include mileage, production years, colors, engine size, drive train (awd, fwd, etc), trim levels that help weed out those vehicles without option packages that you want.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

It's been a good experience to use the Autotrader websites. In terms of reliability I rate it a 8 out of 10. It is quite quick and understandable to use it even accommodate those who do not understand the internet well. I recommend this website as must use web if you need any latest cars and you are wondering where to find it...You don't need to stress. Autotrader got you now.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

The car I was looking for was not the sites priority, the site kept trying to push vehicles I was not interested in. I would search for my selected vehicle, then other options for vehicles I had no interest in would keep popping up. Also had to many pop ups from other sources.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

I have tried to post my ad about my car several times through several devices using several different browsers, yet the process always ran into the same website glitch, an eternal spinning sign of "in process". NO ONE from Autotrader gets back to me with a solution and a phone call is not possible. What kind of service is this?? They don't deserve any clients, I recommend avoiding them. (Just for the record, I'm not web illiterate, I used to be a web developer and am an engineer.)

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

I had an amazing experience with finding my current vehicle. The pictures were vivid and detailed and the website was accurate with its information regarding each car I viewed. I like how you can view multiple vehicles by a particular maker as well as compare models.

Original review: June 25, 2020

Our family has relied on AutoTrader for decades now. The selection, price range and reliability are consistently up to date and accurate. AutoTrader does not rely on a bunch of marketing gimmicks, pricing hooks or fancy word play- they don't have to! By providing a well rounded, concise format for every level of shopper, we are assured a positive experience each and every time.

Original review: June 25, 2020

I love it. It made it easy to look inside the cars to really give you an overall view of what you were buying. Before you actually want to look at it you can tell if their prices were high or low or in a neighborhood up what they should be. I think it makes car shopping very easy, very simple.

Original review: June 24, 2020

As a female I found it easy to use. I can contact the dealer from the site. Lots of vehicles to choose from. I would recommend it to anyone. I found what I was looking for quite easily. I like the fact that I can find both used and new cars on this site.

Original review: June 23, 2020

It is easy to navigate around the site and easy to find what you need. I have looked at a few other websites of other car places and they are not always the easiest to find what you want. Some of my friends have used other sites but were not as pleased as I am.

Original review: June 22, 2020

It is ok but never find what I was looking for. I like looking at all the different vehicles, some being way overpriced. I have seen this listing for many years now and they have gotten better over the years.

Original review: June 21, 2020

I have purchased two vehicles through Autotrader.com. The first was a great truck I lost in the Camp Fire. The second was an SUV that went well for 5 months and then went bad. I have spent nearly a thousand dollars keeping it on the road.

Autotrader.com Company Information