AAA - American Automobile Association

Find my match
Overall Rating
1.1 out of 5

About AAA - American Automobile Association

AAA sells a wide variety of insurance types, including auto insurance, home insurance and life insurance. AAA doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you'd like help selecting the best insurance policy for your needs, contact InsuraMatch to get quotes from their partner insurers. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

AAA - American Automobile Association Reviews

ConsumerAffairs has collected 2,273 reviews and 3,402 ratings.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?
Customer ServicePricePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Nov. 29, 2023

2:15 in the afternoon. After a breakdown, (only 30 minute from the wrecker service and 10 minutes from my house) I called AAA. The first lady didn't give me much info, much less, couldn't find my scooter, but claimed as usual, all the drivers are busy and that I would get text. As the time drew on, I got a message saying the driver had received the info,, ETA 5:46. Meanwhile, only 30 minutes from the wrecker service, the driver sat at home enjoying the warm, With no further contact, I called again at 6:15 and another individual contacted me. This time I was told 30 minutes.

An hour later the driver showed up stating that they told him the city but not the address, so he returned home. That the second customer service person had managed to be more efficient. By the time I got home, and into the house, it was 9:30pm. AAA doesn't even have someone you can talk to concerning complaints. A member for over 30 yrs, the cost of membership has been more than the cost of a the service we actually got. Reconsidering another service or next time just calling a wrecker service that is local.

Reviewed Nov. 29, 2023

The worst AAA. They kept waiting more than 4 hours and towing showed up. Same experience few months ago. I broke down at a traffic light causing major back up and I told them. Still showed up 4 hours later.

Reviewed Nov. 28, 2023

I’ve been a 30 year customer customer of AAA. Their emergency road repair has deteriorated substantially and it is very disappointing. Just within the last 2 years there were two instances where I had a simple flat tire with no emergency weather conditions and both times the estimated wait times was between 2 to 4 hours. We paid the annual charge. This was ridiculous. The worst thing is they never showed up.

Reviewed Nov. 28, 2023

I've been with AAA for 42 years (not anymore). Called at 10:00 a.m. to request roadside service. Have called back seven times. It's now 4:20 and still no help. This company went from exceptional to a total waste of money. The customer service manager Susan said it's because of Thanksgiving. I think I wet my pants laughing at that answer. Call your insurance company. They can offer professional services for roadside help. By the way Thanksgiving was five days ago. I will give a shoutout to Josiah and Tanya for trying. They at least seem to care.

Coverage

Reviewed Nov. 28, 2023

I had unfortunate car accident 16 months ago! Typical usual issues but drivers follow you kissing your car back. I lost my control trying to find out the jerk behind me flashing his lights when turning left in the junction to access Florida Turnpike! On the ramp access I hit car was stopped online! Stupid accident, the jerk behind me disappeared of course and was obviously at fault for this accident! Driving for last 10 years more than 500,000 miles never had tickets or major problems in my driving!

Well because this claim I was kicked out from AAA and the new insurance become in a complete absurdity discriminating rip-off for $8000 a year for a car payment was halfway value of this amount! Are we become stupid because we are getting older! This it's the most outrageous discrimination against ages we never see in America! As always insurance company in any policy trying to abuse and rip off you! Another one do you trying to get solar panel in your house? For another insurance ripoff with wrying prove??

Reviewed Nov. 27, 2023

Called the night before for a battery charge and they had me wait for about four hours until I gave up and canceled, this morning I called this and it’s been almost three hours and they aren’t here yet.

Customer ServiceCoverageStaff

Reviewed Nov. 25, 2023

My experience is that in most cases their customer service including their agents lack knowledge in answering questions. I wasted my time going to one of their local offices to have some questions answered on my renewal policy. They could not answer one question correctly in regard to coverages and how the premiums are determined. My wife and I are retired and have clean driving records with the exception of a not at fault accident I had when insured with another carrier under 2 years ago. The insurance company mistakenly recorded the accident as at fault but later changed it to not at fault. AAA rated my auto premium showing the at fault accident.

When I sent them correspondence from the prior companies claims department showing it was change to not at fault they changed their rating to not at fault. Then they told me the bad news that the premium is going up $300 midterm and carried over into the renewal policy increasing the premium close to $900. So what they are saying is that a not at fault accident increase the risk over an at fault accident. I am a retired property and casualty agent for 52 years also owning my own agency. I have never heard of anything like this where a company charges for one not at fault accident but not for an at fault accident especially when it was not their company that paid the $2,000 claim. Something is very wrong and I can't believe the Department of Insurance allows this practice.

Reviewed Nov. 25, 2023

I called triple AAA because I'm out of town for the holidays and was ready to hit the road to head home, but my car wouldn't start this morning so upon using my app to request assistance I shortly thereafter received a call from the New Jersey triple AAA rep. SHE was very rude mind you I'm standing outside in the freezing cold thinking that the service I pay for would be readily available. But to no avail the rude rep advised me that I would not get a jump or a tow for 2 hours I then asked her what am I paying triple AAA for when you advertise it's 24 hours roadside assistance. YOU'RE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THAT SHE HUNG UP ON ME.

This is the second incident with triple AAA. The first was when a tow guy came about a 2 weeks prior to jump start my car with a dead jumper box and did not attempt to jump it any other way and left. (Yes I purchased a new battery since then, but I am now believing something is draining the battery) So my plan was to get back home and drop my car off to a shop for repair. But to no avail I'm still waiting on my service call and it's been 2 hours and no one has arrived yet!!!! Horrible, horrible, horrible service. Triple AAA you have really disappointed me. I really held this company at a high standard.. They have failed tremendously!!!!

Staff

Reviewed Nov. 22, 2023

We Waited. We Waited & We Waited. I started out purchasing AAA based on prompt service and loyalty towards its customers. Lately, friends and family used the service and we all complain about the same thing. The operators are nice but it's only so much they can do based on the resources provided by the company. I will not renew my membership as I will find other resources because why pay a premium for sub par service. I rather roll the dice with my insurance company than to pay hard earned money. Stay away.... from AAA.

Reviewed Nov. 21, 2023

I had a flat on my passenger side front tire. I had recently took out a membership for myself, my husband and my daughter. Had to wait 3 hours to have my tire fixed. Think twice before getting a membership.

Reviewed Nov. 20, 2023

I've had AAA for over 15 years and have not had any issue with them until I actually was rear-ended and it's been downhill ever since. I was rear-ended on the freeway in May this year. I submitted a claim right away even though my car had no cosmetic damage. My neck started to hurt so decided to submit a claim just in case it got worse. Over the weekend my neck and back got worse so I sought medical treatment. I ended up in physical therapy and submitted my documents (albeit after they reminded me to send them in). I mailed my documents and have yet to hear back after I submitted them months ago. My car ended up hemorrhaging oil a couple days after the accident.

AAA refused to help pay for my vehicle because they said that the accident couldn't have caused front damage even though common sense would say that I was hit and the force could have knocked things loose. Anyway the worst part of that whole experience was that the claims guy acted so aloof and I had to speak to the other person's insurance and try to handle it myself. Awful experience but I just tried to move on. Well, this month I got an email and letter stating that they were going to cancel my insurance because I owe over $700 due to non-payment since May. I had my account enrolled in autopay and it showed a $0 balance due every month I checked. I thought maybe they were giving me a break because of the accident or that since it had not resolved maybe they paused. NOPE!

I called and they said that their system scheduled the payments but never drafted them. So now I have to pay double monthly payments until the end of my policy next year. I cannot afford to pay them off in one payment so I'm stuck until March. But as soon as I can I will be cancelling my insurance through AAA. I will never recommend them to anyone again.

Reviewed Nov. 18, 2023

We’ve been roadside assistance customers since 2016 and have requested 3 tows in that time - 1 actually showed (in Illinois) and 2 were no-shows (Orlando). My son was stranded on the side of the road today for over 3 hours with promises of “we’ll be there in 20 minutes” or “we’ll be there within the hour” over and over. We finally had to call a tow service ourselves and pay out of pocket! $135 later and the only response we received from AAA was a request for a review - so here it is, this service is a waste of money and we will be canceling along with sending a receipt for the paid tow.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaffReliability

Reviewed Nov. 18, 2023

November 17, 2023 our car broke down at Oak Brook, Illinois and we parked it at Giordano pizzeria by the 22nd St. My daughter called Chipotle around 5 PM and were promised that they would get there in an hour or less as stated in their promise with their brochure. We kept calling them but they never got to us. We tried calling them several times but every time we call they hang up on us. And 11:00 PM I called and the lady talk to me and she said she’s going to talk to the manager.

I don’t know who the manager is, but he was rude and he said they never promised a specific time that they would get to the site and to our car they say they would get there when they get there. So I asked him, "So you mean to say that you can get there in about 24 hours or 48 hours or two days from now and my car will no longer be there and it will be towed because it’s in a restaurant facility parking lot?" And he said, "Yes we didn’t promise specific time as to when we get to your car." That is very disgusting question in their brochure they promised they would get to the car to be towed in an hour or two or less not six hours and that seven hours next 24 hours.

This is a very unreliable company and they are liars and they have no respect for people, I have been a member of AAA often on for at least 10 years now but I realized that they are very unreliable. I would never ever be a member of chipotle again. I called Allstate and in a few minutes they sent a tow truck to pick up my car at Oakbrook. What state is way better than Triple A. Allstate, I will give them 10 start a FaceTime for whatever do the best that there is/ Chipotle they do not deserve even one star. I hope you people would not use AAA cause they are very unreliable and they are all liars.

Reviewed Nov. 17, 2023

I submitted my request at 8:30am. It is 2PM now and they still have not secured a service and no-one has arrived. I called three times to follow up and told three times the service would be provided in 45 minutes. Only to call back and be told the same thing. I asked for the name of the service provider and called them myself. First they said AAA didn't call them until 11:45. So over 3 hours after I contacted AAA and then they told me they didn't have a technician who knew how to open a Porsche hood if there was no power Upon which they told me to call AAA and get someone else.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Nov. 14, 2023

AWFUL. Apparently AAA has forgotten about the death of poor Melissa ** who, in 1999, rather than waiting the 90 minutes that it took AAA to arrive on Cape Cod, accepted a ride from a man who ** her and then stabbed her to death. Tonight AAA never showed up. No extenuating weather conditions. I was told that they'd be to me in 5 minutes-1 hour but that never happened. A second call from me resulted in putting me on hold for 10 minutes. Truck driver finally called and said he'd be there in 10-15 minutes, but by then I had left. Didn't really feel like waiting outside.

AAA did call about an hour later to offer me two options, but the call dropped and they never called back. Did not want to go through the same nonsense for a third time in order to reach someone making false promises. Members have the right to receive services that they have paid for. It's a disgrace that AAA offers "services" that don't necessarily show up in the stated time frame. This has happened to me in the past as well so I will never use AAA again and suggest the same to you.

Reviewed Nov. 10, 2023

AAA DON'T provide consumers with the easy reliable services. I attempted to purchase a battery for my car and their UNCERTIFIED technicians seems to knows what's best. They suggested that leave my car running to charge my battery then I should go to Autozone to purchase a battery or have my battery tested and or charge whichever they recommend. AFTER placing their battery tester on the battery showing me that my cranking amps are too low to change the battery.

I called customer service to cancel my membership only to get told that I can't cancel due to my membership being with my phone service provider. Mind you I had to call their company to establish a membership so it could be connected to my provider. This has been an horrible experience. When my car broke down on Saturday due to me needing a battery. I had my kids with me and the tow truck driver took 3 hours to come. He passed us four times going back and foward...smh. Once home I called for assistance again as the tow truck driver advised for a battery and was denied a battery because the technician didn't want to sell a battery if I hadn't had the car looked at by a mechanic to ensure it was my battery.

Now I'm stuck at home LATE FOR WORK and can't drop my kids off to school BECAUSE I NEED A BATTERY. I am having to call Wal-Mart to have a battery delivered. I don't understand the purpose of their services if the services are provided at the UNCERTIFIED technician's discretion. I've NEVER had to beg someone to spend MY MONEY with them. They provide POOR services and is VERY inconvenient!

Reviewed Nov. 9, 2023

Member for 20+ years. Everything is automated - over a three hour wait. Several automated calls telling me that “due to large volume” I was still in line but no truck available and no estimate. Horrible service.

Customer ServiceCoveragePrice

Reviewed Nov. 6, 2023

I just received a “Non-Renewal” notice from AAA. Apparently if you use the service you’ve paid for they don’t want your business, only membership fees. My (late) husband & I have been Premier members since 2010. There have been several years we have had a tow, but when you live on an island and only rarely travel 20 miles away from your home, our tows have been few and short. In fact from 2019 to 2023 we never used the service, just paid the fees. After my husband's passing I began travel in our RV in January 2023. I purchased RV Roadside Assistance prior to departure. In April 2023 I required tow off a low spot on street in NM. The removal process took less than 15 minutes (after truck arrived) for a total cost of $1,087. Of which AAA only paid $500, I paid the balance of $587. Disappointing, but It was expensive, and nothing to be done but pay it.

Now 5 moths later, after 14 years of customer loyalty, they said I used their service a “disproportionate” amount. Really…? Once in 4 years? Prior to that I can count on one hand times we’ve used the service. My membership fees for my husband, myself, and my son for years (!) and now the RV, MORE than covered their cost of that one tow, of which they only paid a portion. When I called the 800# provided I was told it was final and there was nothing to be done. Avoid AAA. Give your loyalty to a better provider. It’s insulting and infuriating that my AAA card says “Loyal Member since 2010”. Lot of good loyalty does with this miserable company.

Reviewed Nov. 6, 2023

I've been a triple a member for 4 years. Yesterday I was stranded on the side of the road. I use the AAA app. Shortly a driver called to say he's 4 hours away. I said I can't wait that long and canceled. I called AAA. They initiated the request. Got another call with the same answer. I said cancel. AAA You're Fired.

Reviewed Nov. 5, 2023

Triple A haven't gotten anything right since I started using them. 1st time I waited over 8 hours for a tow just to find out I only get 3 miles free. Now Waiting 5+ hours for a jump. I will not renew.

Reviewed Nov. 4, 2023

I have AAA & today, 11/3/23 I requested a tow at 5:39pm. I know there may be times that I have to wait an hour but 4 hours is ridiculous. I never got my service fulfilled & had to pay $120 for 0.3 mile.

Customer ServiceCoverage

Reviewed Nov. 2, 2023

This is HORRIBLE. My car was overheating. I have premium service. I waited for 2 hours to tell me no service provider will pick up. I'm with a Baby. This was 8pm at night. I wake up this morning. Car is still there. I had to take an Uber home. I was 45 minutes away from my home. You know who save me PROGRESSIVE Insurance! They had a tow truck there in 30 minutes this morning. I'm still getting calls they are their way. I pay for premium service. I spoke to five people. Nothing was resolved. All they said was sorry. I got a car rental. This was the worst experience I ever had.

Reviewed Nov. 2, 2023

I paid for their “premium” membership. Today, as I got into my vehicle for work, it literally crapped the bed. Like, the power train went. Can’t accelerate or reverse. Battery went. Everything. Here’s the part that’s the kicker. I called at 7:37 a.m. After multiple calls, they sent 1 person out at 6:04 p.m. and they hadn’t told him or prepared him for the call at all so he had to leave. I just got off the phone w/ them saying to get my vehicle out of the garage because my apartment has a garage, I need to call the garage towing service and pay out of pocket for it to be brought to the street level! That’s at least $250. The lady of the place told me this morning. So, 15 bloody hours and AAA can’t do anything?!?! Really?! Why do you exist?!?! I….and so many people….deserve our money back from you people if you won’t give us proper help!! And don’t get me started on their “rapid” help..

Reviewed Oct. 31, 2023

I have been a AAA member for a very long time...decades actually. I am sad to day it is time for them to go. I mainly use them for roadside assistance and it used to be good, very very good. However, the last few years it has gone down terribly. It is better to just call a tow truck and get it done by a professional than wait for hours and hours and then watch your ticket get cancelled because it took so long. Their Rapid response is not "Rapid" at all....unless 3 hours is considered rapid. I could have called any tow company and been done within the hour. Here I am once again waiting for hours for a simple flat tire repair when I could have just called my friend or my local tire store to come do it.

I choose not to because I am paying for AAA.....for the last time. Also, it is even way worse when you travel...the local companies hate contracting to AAA because it is so hard to get their money for the work performed. AAA in roadside assistance is just a middleman hoping you don't use them. Their other services ....like travel and trip books have lived their life and technology has replaced all of that. And any and all insurance is better than AAA insurance...I mean come on 2 phone calls and you can beat their rates with almost anyone. And customer service...there is no customer service anymore. Used to be when you called they acted like they liked you and wanted to help. Now, all you get is someone wanting to end the call quickly and be done with you....no follow up at all. AAA did not act corporate before, and now they are no better than the roadside assist packages pushed by every car dealership everywhere.

Staff

Reviewed Oct. 31, 2023

AAA, TREATED A Senior with over 50 years with them with no dignity at ALL! They cancelled my insurance without an investigation. Who does that! The DMV made a mistake and I explained that to them! My license was not cancelled! They cancelled me anyway even with proof my license was not cancelled. How dare they not only treat a over 50 year member this way but a senior citizen, I have lost all respect for this company and have let everyone know…so far 4 of my dear friends thank you cancelled their insurance with them and found cheaper at that!!! Goodbye AAA. Found out your rating sucks, and I know why, you use to be a great company when you cared about members!!!

Sales & Marketing

Reviewed Oct. 31, 2023

I have had the service for 10 years, and used it twice in the 10 years. I recently broke down and had used my first tow to get it home. They told me I have 2 more uses. I called to tow it to the shop. They told me they already towed that vehicle once and they have a one-tow-per-vehicle policy. I have 2 more uses to my membership but AAA said, "No we can’t to that vehicle again." I thought I was paying for 3 uses. AAA is a scam.

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Oct. 31, 2023

Truly a terrible experience. My son needed assistance and they first told him that they don't handle his battery. I told him to call back and they said they would dispatch a service vehicle but it would take 2.5 hours. After that time no one showed up. He called again and they said it would be another hour. Guess what, no one showed which lead to another call and they said another 2 hours. No one showed up and dispatch couldn't reach the tech. I had to drive 150 miles (300 round trip) to take care of this myself. Shame on them.

Punctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Oct. 30, 2023

Unfortunately, I did not know you can only use their service 4 times in a year. All 4 times I did use them we had to wait well over a couple of hours for someone to show up. It is hard to get a hold of an agent. Just go somewhere else. Don't waste your money.

Customer ServiceOnline & App

Reviewed Oct. 28, 2023

On my way home from work on Oct. 25, 2023, I had a flat tire. I was able to make it home. As soon as I arrived, I used the app to call for Roadside Assistance to change the tire for me so I could take it to have it repaired or replaced. The updates I received from AAA consisted of either "searching for a technician" or of a phone call from a robot that said "due to the high volume of calls in your area, we are running behind. Your call is in the queue and will be answered soon." No one ever showed up.

I requested service again the next morning through the app as I was not able to locate a phone number to reach an actual person. The app said a technician would arrive at 8:11 a.m. Again, no one ever showed up and I received no updates from anyone. In addition, my best friend got stranded in a remote area 2 years ago and the same thing happened to her! She called AAA and requested her money back but they refused. At least I was able to make it home and was not stranded on the interstate somewhere. When I pay for a service, I expect to get that service or I want my money back. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY! You will be wasting your money!

Reviewed Oct. 27, 2023

Vehicle broke down in an unsafe location and immediately called AAA. Said they would dispatch a tow truck. After an hour and a half no follow up. Called numerous times and they couldn't find a tow truck. After waiting for 5 and a half hours was informed they didn't have a tow truck available and would have to tow it the next day. After being a loyal member for 13 years I will no longer be renewing my membership. No longer the company it used to be. Highly dissatisfied. They left me stranded.

AAA - American Automobile Association Company Information