Find the Best Assisted Living in Philadelphia, PA
Top 7 Philadelphia Assisted Living Facilities
|Atria Senior Living||Read 18 Reviews|
210+ senior living communities offering assisted living, memory care, independent living and short-term stays. Resources include a cost calculator, veteran benefits and online pay. Apartment, cottage and villa rental options.
|Deer Meadows Retirement Community||Read Author Review|
Offers assisted living, independent living, short-term rehab, long-term care and specialty programs. Provides a wellness program, educational events, local excursions, game nights, and arts and crafts.
|Plush Mills||Read Author Review|
Offers upscale independent living and assisted living in Wallingford. Provides 24-hour staffing, dining service, housekeeping, fitness and wellness programs, and scheduled transportation.
|Symphony Square||Read Author Review|
Offers assisted living, memory care and independent living for older adults in Philadelphia and the surrounding areas. Provides scheduled activities, fitness programs, transportation, laundry and medication management.
|The Residence at Glen Riddle||Read Author Review|
Offers assisted living and memory care in Media. Provides social and fitness activities, a variety of outdoor spaces and medical and daily assistance.
|United Methodist Communities at Collingswood||Read Author Review|
Offers assisted living, independent living, memory support, hospice care and respite care. Includes housekeeping, laundry, medication assistance and meal preparation for its residents.
|Wesley Enhanced Living||Read Author Review|
Offers independent living, personal care, rehabilitation, memory care and skilled nursing in Philly, Media, Hatboro and Doylestown. Provides a schedule of activities, alternative therapies and daily assistance.
What to know about assisted living in Philly
The Pennsylvania Department of Human Services regulates and licenses assisted living facilities in Philadelphia. It conducts at least one unannounced, on-site inspection per year of all facilities.
Living as an older adult in Philadelphia has its benefits. Philadelphia is home to dozens of historic sites and museums, along with plenty of greenery and parks. Here are a few other points to consider:
- Taxes: Pennsylvania’s tax laws are friendly for retirees. Social Security is not taxed. Withdrawals from retirement accounts, as well as pensions, are also not subject to state tax. Pennsylvania also has a property tax rebate program for older adults who meet certain income requirements.
- Transit: All Philly neighborhoods and many suburbs are easily accessible by public transit. SEPTA runs buses, trains and trolleys throughout the city. Older Philadelphians ride free with a valid ID. Stations and transit are wheelchair-accessible. SEPTA offers an elevator hotline and website so riders can verify if an elevator is operational before going to the station.
- Medical facilities: Philadelphia has world-famous health care systems, including Penn Medicine and Jefferson Health, that are recognized for their quality in treating conditions among older adults.
- Crime: Philly is safer than only 8% of cities in the United States at the time of publishing, according to NeighborhoodScout. The city’s violent crime rate is 9.12 per 1,000 residents, which is higher than the national median of 4 per 1,000. The property crime rate is also higher than the national median: 31.03 per 1,000 compared with 24 per 1,000.
- Weather: Philadelphia experiences all four seasons, with snow in winter and hot, humid summers. Located on the Schuylkill River, Philly gets less snow than other Northeastern cities. The average winter temperature rarely gets much colder than freezing, but icy roads and sidewalks present a hazard for driving or walking. Summer humidity can exacerbate respiratory issues for older people.
How much does assisted living cost in Philly?
The price of assisted living in Philadelphia starts at $3,000 for studio accommodations, and ranges up to $8,200 for two-bedroom apartments. Rooms and meals, along with assistance with activities of daily living, housekeeping and transportation, are typically included in the assisted living facility cost. The cost of assisted living also includes access to on-site amenities and activities. Memory care, skilled nursing and other types of advanced care typically add to the price of assisted living.
It is common for assisted living facilities to charge a one-time entrance fee. Look for communities offering to waive this fee or offering the first month free when you sign a lease.
Be sure to ask a representative at each facility you visit what forms of payment are accepted. You may be able to work with a community to arrange a payment plan or discounted rate for fewer services.
Philadelphia assisted living FAQ
- Who lives in assisted living facilities in Pennsylvania?
- Older Pennsylvanians who want to maintain independence while receiving some degree of daily personal care live in assisted living facilities. Many assisted living facilities also offer independent living, so residents can choose if and when they need to transition to the next level of care.
- Does Medicare pay for assisted living in Pennsylvania?
- No, Medicare does not pay for assisted living in Pennsylvania.
- What Philadelphia regulations protect older adults in assisted living facilities?
- Pennsylvania law gives residents of assisted living facilties the rights to be free from discrimination, neglect, mistreatment and physical and verbal abuse. Residents must have access to a telephone to make private calls and be able to send and receive mail. Assisted living communities are required by law to post a list of resident rights in a conspicuous, public place in the facility and must give a copy to the resident upon their admission.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter!
Philadelphia assisted living community information
Deer Meadows Retirement Community offers independent living, personal care, short-term rehab, long-term care and specialty programs. Amenities and activities include a wellness center, daily sit and stretch, exercise sessions, pet visits, educational programming, community trips, professional entertainment, crafts, games and life enhancement skills instruction. Rooms have cable TV. Comprehensive care is available on-site.
- Located in: Philadelphia
- Address: 8301 Roosevelt Blvd., Philadelphia, PA 19152
- Phone: (215) 624-7575
- Website: deer-meadows.org
Wesley Enhanced Living offers independent living, personal care, rehabilitation, memory care and skilled nursing in newly built or remodeled facilities. Assisted living services include medication management, assistance with daily living tasks, three meals per day, increased opportunities for socialization and entertaining, and recreational activities. Housekeeping is taken care of for all residents. The facility is part of a green initiative that uses eco-friendly products and containers for meal prep and dining. The community offers alternative healing therapies such as laughter yoga, reiki, tai chi, aromatherapy, animal-assisted therapy and EFT tapping. It also offers complimentary services to help sell your home and downsize. Wesley Enhanced Living operates six facilities in the Philadelphia area.
- Located in: Philadelphia, Doylestown, Media and Hatboro
- Address: 7040 Oxford Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19111
- Phone: (215) 745-3517
- Website: wel.org
Symphony Square is an assisted living and memory care facility. Respite care is also available. The facility is located on Philly’s Main Line, close to shopping, dining and medical centers. Services include bathing, grooming, dressing, medication management, housekeeping, meals, transportation and laundry. Activities and amenities include exercise classes, painting, spiritual enrichment, book clubs, bingo, dancing, cooking and social events. Small pets are allowed. The facility has on-site barbershop and a private dining room to entertain family and friends.
- Located in: Bala Cynwyd
- Address: 35 Old Lancaster Road, Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
- Phone: (772) 828-4605
- Website: elegance-living.com
United Methodist Communities at Collingswood offers assisted living, elder care, hospice care, independent living, long-term care, memory support, rehabilitation, respite care and transitional care. Assisted living services include meals, housekeeping, handyman, medication assistance and health monitoring, reminders, assistance with personal care and concierge. The facility is located in a picturesque setting, with shopping and dining within walking distance. Skilled nurses are on-site 24/7. Each resident is matched with professional services to fit individual needs. Furniture is not provided in assisted living suites.
- Located in: Collingswood
- Address: 460 Haddon Ave., Collingswood, NJ 08108
- Phone: (856) 369-3092
- Website: collingswood.umcommunities.org
Plush Mills specializes in upscale assisted and independent living in Philadelphia. Services include 24-hour concierge, fine dining with a flexible meal plan, a pub with complimentary happy hour, weekly housekeeping, daily check-ins, exercise classes, a fitness center, personal car service and scheduled transportation. Receive personal care, assistance with daily living activities and comprehensive support. Primary care, specialists, physical therapy, imaging, lab services and pharmacy services are available.
- Located in: Wallingford
- Address: 501 Plush Mill Road, Wallingford, PA 19086
- Phone: (610) 595-5076
- Website: plushmills.com
The Residence at Glen Riddle, a Blue Harbor Senior Living community, provides personal care and memory care at its facility in Media. The level of care is flexible and customizable. Amenities include landscaped grounds with walkways and sitting areas, lounges, private dining, a community theater, a putting green and a library. Activities include group outings, movie nights, board games, events, book clubs and group fitness classes. Assisted living services include bathing assistance, dressing, medication administration, coordinating medical care, mobility and transportation. Residents receive meals, housekeeping, laundry service and apartment maintenance. Pets are welcome. Blue Harbor Senior Living also has facilities in West Chester, Exton, Plymouth Meeting and Glen Mills.
- Located in: Media
- Address: 263 Glen Riddle Road, Media, PA 19063
- Phone: (484) 849-0293
- Website: blueharborseniorliving.com/senior-communities/residence-at-glen-riddle
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.