Need a medical alert system?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

2.53/5

15 Atria Senior Living Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

Atria memory care in Bolingbrook is fairly new at the time of this review with a limited patient population and a significant amount of unused capacity. The physical facility is fairly nice as memory care facilities go (and we've toured virtually all of them in this general area). They market themselves well and we had high hopes. Unfortunately, they have not (at least as yet) developed sufficient care protocols or gained the experiences needed to properly manage someone in my mother's condition (significant dementia but still often "there" with a desire to be as independent and mobile as possible). Additionally, they must be under extreme pressure to increase revenue with their currently limited patient population as they have used every trick in the book to get more money out of us (many of which are clearly unethical; if not illegal).

Specific issues include but are not limited to:

1. Require us to hire an outside caregiving firm to sit with my mother 24/7 (and they'll kick my mother out if we don't do this). This costs as much as Atria itself and so doubles what we budgeted. Because we're paying for the 24/7 companionship, the Atria staff have felt free to ignore my mother entirely and don't even respond to emergency calls for assistance.

2. Send my mother to an inpatient psychiatric hospital if her behavior is anything less than absolutely perfect. As an example, my mother once took a bite of food off of her neighbor's plate (something you'll see 100 times in this cognitively-impaired population) and off she went to the psych ward for more meds.

3. We got phone calls for minor matters but not for major developments. There were as many as four or five call a day on things like she fell onto her butt getting out of bed but didn't hurt anything. When the doctor changed her meds though, no one told us at all and we had to find that out from the psych hospital when they sent her there a few days later. This is particularly egregious because Atria was aware that my mother has issues with a great many meds and that the topic of meds is at the top of our list of concerns.

4. In addition to the enormous monthly room fee that they quote you & sell you on, their contract also requires you to pay an additional monthly care fee that: a) They have sole discretion to set, and b) That they explicitly state does "not guarantee that you will any receive any specific level of service". Six weeks in, they doubled our care fee while changing nothing in their service levels (and, as explained above, made us hire, at our own additional expense, an outside caregiver to provide 24/7 services to my mother). We are talking about serious four-figure dollar amounts per month.

5. The billings we received were incorrect and nearly impossible to understand. I have spent my professional career working as a forensic accountant and am currently serving as the partner in charge of a consulting practice in that field at one of the Big 4 firms. I spent a serious amount of time studying these bills and managed to figure a lot of it out but, even with all my training & experience at this sort of thing, I couldn't make sense of a lot of it. I just got off of an hour long call with Atria about the portions I could not understand and, even following that call, there are four billed items that the two of us working together still can't figure out. It is beyond my ability to comprehend how such a simple transaction could be made so impossibly difficult to understand. Whoever created their billing system has a true gift for creating confusion. I truly could not have come up with something so difficult to decipher if it was my job to do so.

I really hope that Atria can get its act together on these issues and all of their issues. The area is in desperate need of a quality memory care facility.

Original review: July 25, 2019

Could not provide adequate care for my grandfather with Alzheimer's and sent him to the hospital before notifying any family members. When they did notify us and we got to the hospital he was not there. They told us one place when he was actually sent to another. When we contacted them trying to locate my grandfather they seemed uncaring and nonchalant about the fact that we could not locate him.

Get expert buying tips about Assisted Living delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

First, this is NOT a criticism of staff, which are very good, but of management's failure to resolve an issue that has persisted for 4 months at the Lake Arlington Atria Senior Living. There continues to be a VERY strong urine smell coming from one resident's room and the hallway outside that room, which is adjacent to my father's room. It is sometimes so strong that it makes me gag. If such a smell had been present 1.5 years ago when I first visited I would NOT have selected this facility for my father and mother. It may be coincidence, but this was not an issue until Atria took over what was a Brookdale property in 2018. In addition.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I was wrongly admitted to the secure Alzheimers unit, even though I do not have the disease, only some mild memory loss (which has since returned) following a fall. Management refused to change the decision, despite recommendations of my primary doctor, neurologist, and psychologist. My family and I are needing to find a more ethical assisted living facility. Apparently Atria management is avoiding any liability that might incur if they release me. And the place is unconscionably expensive, the food mediocre, although staff (not management) seems competent.

Original review: July 30, 2018

O.M.Gosh! If you value your sanity, look elsewhere and do NOT pass go...and go to Atria Senior Living @ Manresa in Annapolis, MD! In fact, you CAN'T pass go...they'll TAKE your $200!! They do MONTHLY assessments, in my opinion, to see if they can upgrade their charges. My father-in-law went from a Level 1 care in Jan 1, 2018 to a Level 5 on Feb 1 2018 -- with absolutely NO changes in his needs or medicines!!! I had to fight that with endless phone calls and emails. They proceeded to continue to overcharge him. It took me several months but I finally got that corrected.

I told them I wanted a check for a refund for the overcharges. That took 2+ more months. I SPECIFICALLY SAID DO NOT TAKE THAT AMOUNT OFF HIS BILL. I wanted a check to deposit to cover the checks he had to write. They screwed that up again with ongoing billing. He's only been there for 7 months and EVERY month there is a screw up. I'm only 15 minutes away and have directed them to contact me, his power of attorney, for everything. They set him up with one of 'their' doctors, charged him for an office visit and put him on medication without my knowledge!! You can't make this ** up!! How do you spell insanity? :'Atria Manresa in Annapolis MD'.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Atria Senior Living?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

This is not about the care, but a Senior is on a fixed income. We inquired about rates and were told 3-4% annually for the past two years. NOW, it's the second year, after a 7.4% rate hike at the beginning of 2017. Now it's an 8.8% increase for 2018! Very unreasonable for any living establishment to raise the Care almost 20% in two years, and housing/room rates 17%. Please consider this if you are looking at moving your parent to ATRIA Senior Living in the San Francisco BAY AREA.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

My husband was in respite care for only 72 hrs., because of my requiring surgery. I will never allow this to happen again, nor will I consider Atria in our future needs. They charged us $1,000.00 for the 72hrs., which is ridiculous, and he had no special needs or care.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2016

I had to use this company just once for my mother. She prefers to be in her own home though so we stopped using them. My mother mentioned numerous times that she was taken care of. But she also said that there wasn't much to do. She got bored easily and it made her sad. I didn't get any insurance options. She stayed on her current insurance and we were totally fine with that. Now that we aren't using them anymore I guess that's a good thing. For my mom to stay in a nice, well kept home we didn't have to pay a premium. It was affordable and spacious. She made friends and was comfortable.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2016

They have a home care and help people to the doctor appointment and give you your medicine, you can get around the clock service or just few hours a week service. They give you a reason price and all healthcare plan pay for it, if the healthcare service don't pick up the cost then the stay will cover your cost for assistance. They also keep patient in the facility and you can either do short term or long term care with them. They will help client meet all needs and let the family know when something is wrong with his or her loved one. When I had my stroke in 2011 after I got out of the hospital they had a nurse come to my home and assistance me and help me until I got better.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2016

The variety is slim and the residential options they provide are not very spacious and very outdated. The variety was awful and not recommended. There were no features that stood out as acceptable options. They shouldnt have been even considerably mentioned as features. The insurance department was a joke to deal with. I was kept on hold most of the time and when finally spoken to the rates were ludicrous and unjust. The value was terrible. This service is unhelpful and unjust. I cant say it brought any positive value or service to my life. Very poor value on all fronts.

Atria Senior Living expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Atria operates several housing options for seniors, including independent living communities, assisted living facilities and memory care facilities across the United States and Canada.

• Multiple options: Atria offers four types of care facilities for potential residents to choose from. These options are independent living, assisted living, memory case and respite care.

• Family resources: Interested caregivers can visit the Family Resources page of Atria’s website. Resources include financial planning advice, a transition guide and comparison guides for living at home versus in a senior community.

• Video library: The Atria website has an extensive video library to help potential residents and caregivers learn about Atria’s facilities. Videos include testimonials, discussions about making the decision to move into a senior community, descriptions of life in the communities and more.

• Amenities: Atria offers a variety of amenities, including housekeeping and linen services, maintenance, grounds keeping, snow removal and an emergency alert system.

• Sustainable practices: Atria is committed to environmentally friendly practices such as providing recycling services. They also use energy efficient lighting and appliances and water-efficient landscaping and plumbing. Several of their facilities are LEED certified, meaning they follow strict design and construction plans to be energy efficient and have a small carbon footprint.

• Best for: Atria has a variety of facilities, which enables them to meet the needs of most individuals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs