2. Elder Care
  3. Assisted Living

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.35/5

Atria Senior Living offers more than 210 assisted living and independent living communities across 26 states and seven Canadian provinces. The company provides communities for those in need of assisted living services, memory care, independent living options and short-term stays. Daily life within the communities includes social activities, 24/7 personalized care and nutritious custom meals from a well-trained team of professionals.

BOTTOM LINE

Atria Senior Living is ideal for residents who require daily assistance, memory care services or short-term stays. The monthly fee is high, but it includes multiple services and amenities.

PROS

• Veteran benefits offered
  • Variety of social activities
  • Communities in 26 states

CONS

• No skilled nursing services
  • High cost of living

What is Atria?

Atria Senior Living locations boast different amenities and services based on the needs of the local community and residents. Each community offers residents a full calendar of social and individualized activities designed to keep them active, engaged and happy. The company also provides families with financial planning resources, various materials for the assisted living transition and an online payment tool.

Atria's assisted living services include:

• Housekeeping and linen services
    • Emergency alert systems
    • Scheduled transportation to appointments and outings
    • Engaging individual and communal social activities

How does Atria Senior Living work?

Interested residents and their families should first determine which Atria Senior Living communities are nearest them and what level of care is needed. An Atria representative will then help families understand which community is right for their loved one, what living options are available and what individual services will be required.

Next, the cost of care will be calculated. Families can get a head start on this by using Atria’s care cost calculator. Certain discounts or financial programs, such as veteran benefits, are available for qualifying families.

While in the care of an Atria assisted living community, residents will experience:

• Nutritious meals from a professional chef
    • Engaging personal activities and social events
    • Numerous amenities and services designed to enhance quality of life

How much does Atria Senior Living cost?

The cost of services and care at Atria Senior Living varies based on the living options chosen by the resident. Atria communities have month-to-month rental apartments, cottages or villas. The monthly fee covers dining, events, housekeeping, transportation, maintenance and care services.

On average, monthly rates for senior living communities in the U.S. range from $2,000 to $10,000. The cost is based on the type of services and assistance required and the location.

Interested families and their loved ones may be able to receive financial assistance through programs such as veteran benefits or funds provided through Medicaid or Medicare. Atria’s professional staff is on hand to discuss each family’s options for financial planning and care.

Atria Living FAQ

Who owns Atria Senior Living?
    Atria Senior Living was created in 2003 as the result of a merger between ARV Assisted Living Inc., Kapson Senior Quarters and Atria Communities.
    Is Atria Senior Living a public company?
    No. Atria Senior Living is a privately held, for-profit company.
    Does Atria Senior Living accept Medicaid?
    Yes, Atria Senior Living does accept Medicaid for qualified residents. However, Medicaid may not cover all of the costs associated with an assisted living community.
    How many communities does Atria Senior Living have?
    Atria Senior Living boasts more than 210 communities in 26 states and seven Canadian provinces. Not all of these facilities offer the same services or amenities.
    Where is Atria Senior Living located?
    Atria Senior Living locations include the following states:
    • South Carolina
    • Tennessee
    • Texas
    • Virginia

Is Atria Senior Living worth it?

Atria Senior Living communities are worth it for older adults who may need assistance with daily activities or memory care. The communities provide residents with physical activity and a wealth of social and personal activities designed to engage their minds. However, Atria Senior Living is not ideal for those who need skilled or acute nursing services.

Atria Senior Living Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Atria Senior Living?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Atria Senior Living?

Original review: March 10, 2020

The Independent Living/Assisted Living part of Atria Vista del Rio in Albuquerque is very pleasant and the food is pretty good. The all-day dining option in that section is a real advantage. We did have some administrative problems but they were manageable and resolvable. However, when we needed to move my then 89-year old Mother into the Memory care section (known as the Life Guidance Department) the long nightmare began. Actually, things went well for the first few months but then the LG Director (who was very resident and family focused) left for a better opportunity and then the next one (who was resident comfort and safety focused) was elbowed out in an administrative scuffle.

The current director appears to know how to hang on to his job in spite of a series of never-should-have-happened incidents. He knows how to focus on the paperwork without being distracted by those bothersome residents and their trivial safety needs. Caregivers and cleaners try but they are poorly trained and supervised by the Med Techs who are not supported by the management. We finally moved my now-90-year-old mother and she is flourishing in her new location.

I am asked to give more detail: Moisture-proof cover removed from residents personal mattress, resulting in resident's sleeping on urine-soaked mattress; staff's failure to provide paid-for services with the argument that private caregiver (brought in for specific task) should do it; removal of leg rests from wheelchair, resulting head injury to resident when pitched forward out of the chair...

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

My mother has been at an Atria assisted living location in NJ for a few years now. Not sure what is going on at the Corporate level, but the food provided to the residents has become mostly inedible from: Stale bread to uncooked potatoes, rice, tuna fish served without mayonnaise etc etc... They are frequently out of eggs for breakfast, lettuce for salads etc. THIS IS APPALLING! It is very clear that there is no oversight regarding what comes out of the kitchen. They obviously budget extremely low for food as the food is very low in quality and must be cooked by minimum wage workers with no foodservice experience who could care less about whether the food has any taste or quality at all.

This particular Atria has hired and fired 3 directors and two or three culinary directors in the last 3 years. Complaints are met with friendly lip service such as "We're in the process of hiring a new Culinary director, just be patient." We've heard it over and over again. It is very clear that this corporation views their residents not as human beings but as elderly people who will eat anything they're served, and won't complain.

It is appalling that residents who send $6000-$9000 a month to this company can't get a fresh meal with some flavor! They should be eating filet mignon every night for those prices! Something is terribly amiss at Atria Senior Living! There must be something very amiss on the Corporate level at Atria. If you're considering an assisted living facility for your loved one, do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.

Get buying tips about Assisted Living delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

Atria memory care in Bolingbrook is fairly new at the time of this review with a limited patient population and a significant amount of unused capacity. The physical facility is fairly nice as memory care facilities go (and we've toured virtually all of them in this general area). They market themselves well and we had high hopes. Unfortunately, they have not (at least as yet) developed sufficient care protocols or gained the experiences needed to properly manage someone in my mother's condition (significant dementia but still often "there" with a desire to be as independent and mobile as possible). Additionally, they must be under extreme pressure to increase revenue with their currently limited patient population as they have used every trick in the book to get more money out of us (many of which are clearly unethical; if not illegal).

Specific issues include but are not limited to:

1. Require us to hire an outside caregiving firm to sit with my mother 24/7 (and they'll kick my mother out if we don't do this). This costs as much as Atria itself and so doubles what we budgeted. Because we're paying for the 24/7 companionship, the Atria staff have felt free to ignore my mother entirely and don't even respond to emergency calls for assistance.

2. Send my mother to an inpatient psychiatric hospital if her behavior is anything less than absolutely perfect. As an example, my mother once took a bite of food off of her neighbor's plate (something you'll see 100 times in this cognitively-impaired population) and off she went to the psych ward for more meds.

3. We got phone calls for minor matters but not for major developments. There were as many as four or five call a day on things like she fell onto her butt getting out of bed but didn't hurt anything. When the doctor changed her meds though, no one told us at all and we had to find that out from the psych hospital when they sent her there a few days later. This is particularly egregious because Atria was aware that my mother has issues with a great many meds and that the topic of meds is at the top of our list of concerns.

4. In addition to the enormous monthly room fee that they quote you & sell you on, their contract also requires you to pay an additional monthly care fee that: a) They have sole discretion to set, and b) That they explicitly state does "not guarantee that you will any receive any specific level of service". Six weeks in, they doubled our care fee while changing nothing in their service levels (and, as explained above, made us hire, at our own additional expense, an outside caregiver to provide 24/7 services to my mother). We are talking about serious four-figure dollar amounts per month.

5. The billings we received were incorrect and nearly impossible to understand. I have spent my professional career working as a forensic accountant and am currently serving as the partner in charge of a consulting practice in that field at one of the Big 4 firms. I spent a serious amount of time studying these bills and managed to figure a lot of it out but, even with all my training & experience at this sort of thing, I couldn't make sense of a lot of it. I just got off of an hour long call with Atria about the portions I could not understand and, even following that call, there are four billed items that the two of us working together still can't figure out. It is beyond my ability to comprehend how such a simple transaction could be made so impossibly difficult to understand. Whoever created their billing system has a true gift for creating confusion. I truly could not have come up with something so difficult to decipher if it was my job to do so.

I really hope that Atria can get its act together on these issues and all of their issues. The area is in desperate need of a quality memory care facility.

Original review: July 25, 2019

Could not provide adequate care for my grandfather with Alzheimer's and sent him to the hospital before notifying any family members. When they did notify us and we got to the hospital he was not there. They told us one place when he was actually sent to another. When we contacted them trying to locate my grandfather they seemed uncaring and nonchalant about the fact that we could not locate him.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

First, this is NOT a criticism of staff, which are very good, but of management's failure to resolve an issue that has persisted for 4 months at the Lake Arlington Atria Senior Living. There continues to be a VERY strong urine smell coming from one resident's room and the hallway outside that room, which is adjacent to my father's room. It is sometimes so strong that it makes me gag. If such a smell had been present 1.5 years ago when I first visited I would NOT have selected this facility for my father and mother. It may be coincidence, but this was not an issue until Atria took over what was a Brookdale property in 2018. In addition.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I was wrongly admitted to the secure Alzheimers unit, even though I do not have the disease, only some mild memory loss (which has since returned) following a fall. Management refused to change the decision, despite recommendations of my primary doctor, neurologist, and psychologist. My family and I are needing to find a more ethical assisted living facility. Apparently Atria management is avoiding any liability that might incur if they release me. And the place is unconscionably expensive, the food mediocre, although staff (not management) seems competent.

Original review: July 30, 2018

O.M.Gosh! If you value your sanity, look elsewhere and do NOT pass go...and go to Atria Senior Living @ Manresa in Annapolis, MD! In fact, you CAN'T pass go...they'll TAKE your $200!! They do MONTHLY assessments, in my opinion, to see if they can upgrade their charges. My father-in-law went from a Level 1 care in Jan 1, 2018 to a Level 5 on Feb 1 2018 -- with absolutely NO changes in his needs or medicines!!! I had to fight that with endless phone calls and emails. They proceeded to continue to overcharge him. It took me several months but I finally got that corrected.

I told them I wanted a check for a refund for the overcharges. That took 2+ more months. I SPECIFICALLY SAID DO NOT TAKE THAT AMOUNT OFF HIS BILL. I wanted a check to deposit to cover the checks he had to write. They screwed that up again with ongoing billing. He's only been there for 7 months and EVERY month there is a screw up. I'm only 15 minutes away and have directed them to contact me, his power of attorney, for everything. They set him up with one of 'their' doctors, charged him for an office visit and put him on medication without my knowledge!! You can't make this ** up!! How do you spell insanity? :'Atria Manresa in Annapolis MD'.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

This is not about the care, but a Senior is on a fixed income. We inquired about rates and were told 3-4% annually for the past two years. NOW, it's the second year, after a 7.4% rate hike at the beginning of 2017. Now it's an 8.8% increase for 2018! Very unreasonable for any living establishment to raise the Care almost 20% in two years, and housing/room rates 17%. Please consider this if you are looking at moving your parent to ATRIA Senior Living in the San Francisco BAY AREA.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

My husband was in respite care for only 72 hrs., because of my requiring surgery. I will never allow this to happen again, nor will I consider Atria in our future needs. They charged us $1,000.00 for the 72hrs., which is ridiculous, and he had no special needs or care.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2016

I had to use this company just once for my mother. She prefers to be in her own home though so we stopped using them. My mother mentioned numerous times that she was taken care of. But she also said that there wasn't much to do. She got bored easily and it made her sad. I didn't get any insurance options. She stayed on her current insurance and we were totally fine with that. Now that we aren't using them anymore I guess that's a good thing. For my mom to stay in a nice, well kept home we didn't have to pay a premium. It was affordable and spacious. She made friends and was comfortable.

Atria Senior Living Company Information