Find the Best Assisted Living on Long Island, NY
Top 8 Long Island Assisted Living Facilities
A Place for Mom
|Read 6 Reviews|
Assisted living referral service. Paid for by participating communities and free to use. Provides a local advisor, tour scheduling and move-in support. Caregiving and independent living assistance.
|Atria Senior Living||Read 18 Reviews|
210+ senior living communities offering assisted living, memory care, independent living and short-term stays. Resources include a cost calculator, veteran benefits and online pay. Apartment, cottage and villa rental options.
|Dominican Village||Read Author Review|
Offers assisted and independent living in Amityville. Includes an on-site salon, cafe, library and mobile bank. Services include nutrition counseling, medication management, transportation and religious services.
|Jefferson’s Ferry||Read Author Review|
Offers assisted and independent living and memory care in South Setauket. Includes on-site walking and biking baths, outdoor game areas, a putting green and gardening areas.
|Peconic Landing||Read Author Review|
Offers assisted living, skilled nursing and memory care services in Greenport. Services include personalized care, medication management, scheduled transportation, daily living assistance and rehabilitation.
|Rosewood on the Sound||Read Author Review|
Offers assisted living and enhanced assisted living in Bayville. Services include housekeeping, laundry, medication management, grooming assistance, mobility assistance and 24-hour staffing.
|The Bristal at Sayville||Read Author Review|
Offers assisted living, independent living and memory care. Provides housekeeping, emergency response systems, 24-hour staffing, meal preparation and personalized care.
|The Villa at Westhampton||Read Author Review|
Offers assisted living and memory care in Westhampton. Provides specialized services for chronic conditions, like diabetes and Alzheimer’s disease. Includes housekeeping and laundry service.
What to know about assisted living on Long Island
According to census data, there are over 500,000 adults over 65 on Long Island at the time of publishing, with over 50 assisted living facilities to choose from. The New York State Department of Health licenses and regulates assisted living facilities, making sure each facility follows rules to care for and protect residents.
With its serene beaches and cultural diversity, Long Island can be a paradise. Visitors typically partake in activities from sailing to fishing to horseback riding. The area is also known for its food culture. Summer temperatures typically are in the 80s, while winter temperatures can fall down to the 30s.
Drawbacks and benefits of assisted living on Long Island
It’s important to think about benefits and drawbacks before making a decision to move to assisted living on Long Island, such as:
- Long Island is moderately tax-friendly for older adults. While Social Security and public pension income is not taxed, withdrawals from retirement funds and private pension income are partially taxed.
- There are multiple public transportation systems available in Nassau and Suffolk counties. These transit systems provide discounts and benefits for older adults. The Able-Ride/Paratransit Program offers transportation for older New Yorkers and those with disabilities who cannot utilize regularly scheduled buses. The Essential Transportation Program provides transportation to adults over 60 who reside in the Town of Islip. This transit system offers transportation to doctors' appointments, grocery shopping, trips to Riverhead, etc.
- At the time of publishing, there are over 20 hospitals on Long Island. Long Island Jewish Valley Stream is a well-known medical facility in the older adult community offering services such as home health care, a free senior telephone help line and spiritual services.
- Long Island can be a very safe place to live. In the Town of Islip, for example, the chances of being a victim of violent crime are 1 in 1,340, according to NeighborhoodScout at the time of publishing. Across New York state, the chances are 1 in 285.
How much does assisted living cost on Long Island?
The average cost of assisted living facilities on Long Island is between $3,600 and $6,800 per month.
There are various factors that can affect assisted living cost, such as the specific community, the level of care, the services and amenities. For instance, facilities with amenities such as an on-site salon, fitness center and pool will most likely have higher costs. Communities with a high staff-to-resident ratio also tend to be pricier.
If the monthly price seems daunting, there is financial assistance available to those who qualify. New York state offers a Medicaid program called the Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program (CDPAP) that may aid with the cost of assisted living.
Long Island assisted living FAQ
- What do assisted living facilities offer on Long Island?
- Assisted living facilities on Long Island offer a residential setting where older adults can receive personalized care and services such as assistance with daily living activities, prepared meals and 24-hour monitoring.
- Who regulates assisted living facilities on Long Island?
- The New York State Department of Health regulates assisted living facilities on Long Island.
- What organizations support and protect older adults on Long Island?
Organizations that support older adults on Long Island include:
- Hand in Hand for Seniors offers special services to seniors, such as transportation, case management, education services and discounts.
- Parish Outreach provides a food pantry, advocacy services, transportation, clothing and more.
- Senior Citizens Center Programs and Services offers free transportation for banking, doctors’ appointments and grocery shopping. The program also helps those who are eligible with housekeeping, home repairs and laundry services. A Meals on Wheels program is available for older adults.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter!
Long Island assisted living community information
Dominican Village is a nonprofit, apartment-style assisted and independent living community. Special services include 24-hour security and emergency response systems, an on-site medical suite, nutrition counseling, spiritual services, medication assistance and scheduled transportation. Each living space comes with a full kitchen, modern appliances, a dining area, a living room and a bathroom with the choice of a shower seat or bathtub. The facility has a beauty salon, a cafe, a library and a mobile bank on-site.
- Located in: Amityville
- Address: 565 Albany Ave., Amityville, NY 11701
- Phone: (631) 842-6091
- Website: dominicanvillage.org
Jefferson’s Ferry offers independent living, assisted living, memory care and skilled nursing rehabilitation. Special services include 24-licensed nursing staff, 24-hour security, pharmacy delivery, therapy programs, housekeeping, local transportation and personal emergency response systems. The facility encourages an active lifestyle, with walking paths, gardening areas, a putting green and spaces to play shuffleboard, horseshoes and bocce ball.
- Located in: South Setauket
- Address: 1 Jefferson Ferry Drive, South Setauket, NY 11720
- Phone: (631) 650-2600
- Website: jeffersonsferry.org
Peconic Landing offers assisted living, memory support, skilled nursing, home services and short-term rehab. Services include 24-hour health care professionals, medication assistance, personalized care plans, transportation, outpatient rehabilitation and assistance with daily living. The facility offers access to expert consultants in geriatrics, ophthalmology, podiatry, audiology and dentistry. Amenities include waterfront dining rooms, arts and leisure programs, educational opportunities, an on-site fitness center and swimming pool, social events and spiritual services.
- Located in: Greenport
- Address: 1500 Brecknock Road, Greenport, NY 11944
- Phone: (631) 477-3800
- Website: peconiclanding.org
Rosewood on the Sound is a family-owned community that provides assisted living, day care and enhanced assisted living for those who require more assistance. Services include laundry, daily housekeeping, 24-hour supervision and assistance with mobility, medication, continence and grooming. Amenities include recreational and therapeutic on-site activities, marble shower rooms with an air jet spa bath, movie nights, ice-cream socials, concerts, arts and crafts, meditation and yoga.
- Located in: Bayville
- Address: 59 Bayville Ave., Bayville, NY 11709
- Phone: (516) 628-1350
- Website: rosewoodonthesound.com
The Bristal at Sayville is a luxury-style community that offers independent living, assisted living and memory care. Services include emergency response systems in every unit, 24-hour security, scheduled transportation, housekeeping, gourmet meal preparation and personalized care plans. Amenities include a creative arts studio, a bingo room, a beauty salon, a cinema, a library and a fitness center. The parent company, The Bristal Assisted Living, also has communities in Mount Sinai, Holtsville, East Northport, Lake Grove, West Babylon, Massapequa, Jericho, North Hills and other areas.
- Located in: Sayville
- Address: 129 Lakeland Ave., Sayville, NY 11782
- Phone: (631) 830-0408
- Website: thebristal.com
The Villa at Westhampton offers assisted living and memory care. Special services include emergency call bells, medication management, diabetic management, assistance with ambulation and transfers, assistance with medical equipment, certain therapies, ostomy care, wound care and catheter care. Amenities include an on-site medical suite for visiting physicians, daily housekeeping and laundry, a pool table, game rooms, and scheduled events and activities.
- Located in: Westhampton
- Address: 68 Old Country Road, Westhampton, NY 11977
- Phone: (631) 240-8100
- Website: hamptonsvilla.com
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.