Washington Gas

District of Columbia

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Customer service is non existent with Wash Gas. How is a utility company closed on a Friday? Even their online site is closed. I live in another state and I've been trying to connect gas to my Alexandria home for a week and they've been impossible to deal with. They should be shut down by the government. Worst customer service in history!

In Feb 2016 I had a gas leak. I was told a temporary fix would be placed on it and they would be back when the ground was not frozen. I realized in Aug they had not been back and sent an email. The first email did not elicit a response, the second one did. Two days after the second email 3 people called and arranged an appointment the first day I was back in town. A contractor from WGL arrived on time and said he was there to replace the meter. He did not know about the leak. He found it and called in another crew. They worked all afternoon and into the evening. I had to leave at 530 pm and they said just to call to get the pilot relit. I have been trying to do that for over a week. They can only book day of the call and it is an all day appointment. I called in late afternoon for the next day and they booked the same day. They told me this late in the call and I said to cancel and I would call tomorrow.

I called the next day and waited all day and they did not come. They did not book the appointment correctly although they acknowledge the call. They booked that night and never showed. They booked another day and did not show. Now supposedly I am a priority but have been waiting since 7 am and it is almost noon. The call center provides different info, there is no escalation. They do not know where the techs are. The techs do not call you. I understand emergencies happen... Why not call and say they cannot make it? I truly feel I am in a third world country. This is rude. I need a shower and a life. I noticed you ask for order number. It would help if they gave them. There are so many little things they could do to make this experience better. I can only assume they do not care.

I have to use this gas service company when I moved to Washington area. I am feeling extremely uncomfortable with this company. First of all, I have to spend more than 5 calls to setup my account. Then for my first two bills, whatever I tried, the payment could not be processed online till I finally got chance to speak one of the customer officers and I was told the computer system was not working properly. However, I was still charged $20 penalty fee and they claimed that the charge from my bank was returned. When I called to my bank, they told me that they didn't receive potential draft from Washington Gas. Lately, I was charged twice for the same reason. I really want to switch to another Gas company if I have another choice. Also, their customer service officer's attitude is very rude. I complained them and asked the manager to call me. As it was expected, their manager didn't call me within 24 hours, and never.

I have never dealt with a company this awful before. When I started my gas service in May I was told to pay a $45 processing fee and that I wouldn't have to pay a security deposit. Next month I get a bill stating I need to pay $200 plus the monthly bill so I called customer service and they said they would break the deposit into monthly payments. So the next month I open my bill it says "pay $400 deposit" and when I call customer service they rude and they don't help resolve the situation at all. I'm a very dissatisfied customer who is not going to let Washington Gas rip me off!!! #HELP!

I see many reviews of Washington Gas mis-charging, over-charging, and not providing proper customer service for one reason or another, likely due to its monopoly status in this area. And I too have been treated ridiculously in trying to dispute overcharge of almost $1000 to my account. Rather than simply trying to resolve this overage, I am also requesting an in-kind credit to my account for my time and inconvenience, as I would expect for any responsible company with which I do business. I suggest we all add this additional layer to our complaints, which sometimes produces results in other industries. Even they do not oblige, it will be the principle that is demonstrated.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Washington Gas?

I am writing because I feel that the deposit of $205.00 for being late 2 or 3 times in the past is an unfair practice and abuse of power by one company which is WASHINGTON GAS. Unfortunately for us, this company has a monopoly on gas and we have to put up with their threatening letters of disconnection and collection. We are also aware that these letters are computer generated and if they are, they need to correct the programming of their computers so it does not trigger one of these letters. I have not call Washington Gas but I did send an email for which I did not get a response. I will call tomorrow and see what they say and maybe even demand for interest to be paid monthly on my deposit. I have not done the calculations at this point. I can be certain that it is in the thousands if we combine other customers like us. WE WILL PAY THE BILL, IT HAD TO BE SAID.

Can utility billing get any worse? I don't think so. Their online and paper billing systems have been broken since early 2016. Billed amounts have nothing to do with reality. Payments don't get posted. The only way that anything moves forward is with a complaint with the Public Service Commission, and even then, for every step forward, things move two steps back. In June 2016 they moved their telephone customer service from the Philippines to somewhere in Virginia. Although it is now possible to understand the CSRs, it is still impossible to obtain a correct bill. For decades, the billing systems worked flawlessly. What did Washington Gas do that broke it? This has all the indications of an attempt to outsource information systems programming and operations to India -- and as anyone in I/T can confirm, those attempts often turn into programming disasters.

I called this morning to set up move my services for 7/15 and was told this was not possible because of a balance left by a prior account holder. If I'm transferring my services from a completely different address, it's quite clear I am not the person who left the account in arrears since my current account has been active for several years. The company is complicating my account process due to another customer's actions. They should deal with the old customer directly and not prohibit a good relationship with the new customer.

Also, since I am not in DC at this time, I was told to fax in the information but it would take up to 10 business days to activate the account. This is completely unreasonable for a documentation review. What is even more dissatisfying is if I go in person, it will be handled immediately. This is completely inequitable to customers who are unable to travel to downtown DC, pay high parking costs and spend time getting their account turned on. Also, the office hours are completely inconvenient to any working person (only open 8 am-4pm). It forces the customer to take time off from work to ensure they will have the utility services they need which is completely unacceptable and is NOT customer centered.

Washington Gas' current process inconveniences customers and causes them undue stress. My (probably accurate) assumption is the prior customer is still waiting on their old bill to settle the account. The Washington Gas system is so archaic, it can't electronically send the bill to an account that is closed. I know this because the bill for my old unit has to be mailed to the new unit even though I have an online account. This system is set up for the customer to fail, chase old paper bills in an electronic-centered world and inconvenience everyone but themselves. I will truly take them up on your offer of accessing my gas services through another company because they don't care about the customers they serve.

I have been disputing this bill since its inception. There is a carryover amount that should not have been added to the bill from a previous account which was settled in court. My requirement to pay that amount along with the current payment placed me in a financial hardship that kept building every month as usage continued. Washington Gas eventually disconnected my services even though I have an agreement with the court to pay an additional total of $1300, which in fact, does not add up. I am being essentially penalized because the collection agency, Nationwide Corporation, was not sending Washington Gas my payments until recently, October 2015 even though I have been paying them through an attorney for over 1 year.

Washington Gas reinstated the carryover amount onto my total payment. I am without gas for over a month. Christine **, in collections, promised to get back with me and HAS NOT. You are double billing me because I am required to still pay the courts for a balance that no longer exists, at the same time, the utilities are not on. Please resolve this matter immediately.

I signed for paperless billing. The last bill I received was on 2/18/2016 then did not receive bills for March, April and May then received bill in the Mail on March 9 for 4 months with the warning of disconnecting my service. The same issue happened last year too. When I contacted customer service I was not believed I had not received bills for 3 consecutive months.

Can you give a rating below one star? The only reason this company is still in business is because they have a monopoly in the region. Their computer systems have been down now for six months. No automatic bill pay, no online services, nothing. If you have set up automatic bill pay in the past, they stopped billing it and just let your balance accumulate until they threaten you with collection. The real irony is that while on hold for a half our waiting to talk to representative, the automated recording was telling me of the convenience of their automated bill pay. This is the 21st century. Only a company full of incompetents would take six months to do a computer upgrade during which time they would cut off all their customer's online access. When I finally got to speak to a representative I was told that it would be another month before the online system would back up and running. Of course, that is what the rep said last month as well.

Im a Washington Gas service representative, Im responsible for taking the calls along with a few hundred other people. Ive been with the company just three short months and I see the way they treat their customers, there are a lot of hidden mistakes made that end up costing the customer an arm & a leg. Ive had customers call to inquire about their bills and even when me & the customers have done calculations and see the discrepancy, Im still told by my supervisors and higher ups that they're still responsible for those bills. They've had systems errors since I started working for them and it doesn't seem to get better, it only seems like a tactic to get more customers money.

I had a customer just yesterday, call in to ask why we hadn't been processing his auto pay plan that he had been set up on for the past year. Of course, I had to reiterate the systems errors we've had, or at least that's what Ive been told to say. He then goes on to tell me that there was no notification given to inform him of these changes, instead there was just a lump sum bill accumulating over time. He then told me, he called the customer service number to dispute that bill he got at the end of 6 months charging him over $900. He was set up on a payment plan as a courtesy so that he could pay in installments, only for Washington Gas to still send him to collections for non payment. As you can imagine, he was furious.

He read to me the letter he received from the collection agency and also made it very transparent, the change in his credit score. I informed my supervisor of the problem, and I was told to instruct my customer to THROW AWAY the notification he received from them and to disregard it. I did as I was told, also telling him my own input, which was not to discard it but to go to a walk in office and dispute it. The walk in offices are honestly more helpful than calling in, as rep Im just being honest. Im 21, a college student and Im even disgusted at how the company I work for operates. Its truly sad.

On MANY occasions we have paid our bill online and for some MAGICAL reason the payments are never processed. The only way we find out the bill is due is a guy comes knocking on the door wanting to shut us off. There have been a few garbage companies in my day, but this is a full fledged online payment scam. They are scamming people out of MILLIONS in fees.

I pay the bill, get confirmation, they come to shut us off then guess what it is STILL MY FAULT. So what happens I end up paying a late fee plus fee for services. It's a classic scam. They rely on people not doing anything about it and they are winning that bet so far. I will be contacting the AG office here in good old VA to file an official complaint. I am just one of many military households in the God forsaken state that utterly and truly hate WASHINGTON GAS CO.

On 2nd May, I called WasGas complaining about a very strong odor by my meter that could be smelled over 20 feet. They had me wait for several hours and at 6pm, tech showed, walked thru the house tracking mud, went outside, and 15 min later said he found NO LEAKS. On Friday the 6th, I called the emergency number again. The techs came and found NO SEAL in the main ingress to the meter - blamed the "plumber" for "stealing" gas and claimed "no Washington Gas employee could ever forget to put the washer! Your plumber was stealing gas." Really? Potomac house with neighbors everywhere and my "plumber" who worked in my house for 4 hours stole the seal?? I had no plumber on the Monday I called with the complaint.

After fixing the leak, the tech informs me that ANOTHER team would come sometime today, maybe, to turn the gas back on!! What?? If you are repairing my meter, why does another resource have to drive here to turn the valve on?? No one came. It's been 5 days - they had me waiting until 10pm tonight. I have called every day since Monday, 4 times today. I have no heat and no hot water since Monday. Washington Gas are the thieves - disrespectful individuals out in the field with absolutely no regard for anyone's time or need for timely resolution. It's a shame such an organization exists! Absolute disgrace to the DC metropolitan area.

The worst customer service at Washington Gas. They messed up online payment. System is still not in place since Jan 2016 and they have no patience to talk to customers? What kind of service we get? If there was a thumbs down I would have selected that instead of giving even 1 star.

As CEO and chairman of Washington Gas, you should be very concerned about the lackluster service and unprofessionalism at your company... For months now, I have been trying to set up auto-pay. It still is not working. Every month it is my belief that payment has been made, only to find out later that it was not. Ergo, the expenses accumulate. Last time I had to pay over $500 because of your non-functioning website... Wash Gas is a multi-billion dollar company, yet you seem to be completely unable and uninterested in your constituents.

You are a monopoly and it shows... You prey on the uninformed or those who do not have the stamina constantly having to call your inept customer service division. So, I hereby appeal to you - to take these complaints seriously and to help your customers and constituents dealing with a bureaucracy that is too complicated and frustrating to navigate...

I've lived many places, and this is the worst utility company I've ever been forced to deal with. I would rather spend 5 hours on hold with Horizon Airlines than try to do something simple like 'pay my bill' with these jokers. The website doesn't work. The automated telephone service is archaic, and paying over the phone takes a solid 10 minutes (not to mention they make you enter your credit card info before telling you how much your bill is). Want to get someone on the phone instead? When you find the secret combination of numbers that navigates you to an actual person, please let me know. It's Nasty TAKING ADVANTAGE of absence of competitor gas companies in the area! But Washington Gas does it!!!

Companies like this are why competition is important. I wish I could do something more than just write a review, but I have no other option for gas service in this area. So, alas, they have no reason to improve. The site always times out when you try to log in. There is nothing on the homepage indicating that there is a problem. I have called twice. Both times the representative was helpful, but completely unaware of the web problem. Both times I waited 20 minutes before getting an answer. It is also curious that WGL hasn't taken a moment to reply to ANY of these complaints on this site. Where is their PR dept (or their customer service department, for that matter)?

I have been w/ Washington Gas for over 15 years and when I moved from Herndon, Va. to Chantilly, Va. in 2008 I had no problem disconnecting and reconnecting my gas. However, since November of 2014 my bill has been consistently incorrect and my gas has been disconnected twice now due to their incompetence. In November, 2015, I received my first incorrect bill of over $3k and called them immediately and was told it was a mistake and that it would be corrected the following month and do not pay. That has never happened and continues to this day.

I have spoken to customer reps., supervisors and a manager w/o success. I am now being told that I owe them over $4k. BTW, I started receiving zero meter readings at the same time and not until I brought it to their attention did they come out and replace the meter. It still did not help. I am now being told after a year and a half, that I owe them this amount because I was incorrectly billed all those months when they were receiving zero meter readings (I was paying the monthly usage charge all this time). I am at my wits' end with these people who cannot speak English let alone resolve ongoing issues. UGH!!!

My wife and I are relocating to Maryland from out of state to take new jobs, so we got a rental lined up. Part of the lease agreement is that I have to provide the rental company with my Washington Gas account number. Not having one yet, I called to try and set it up, and they said their "system" wasn't allowing them to do it by phone, I have to either fax documents including ID and a copy of the lease and wait 10-14 days for them to set the account up or I have to make a 3 hour round trip to one of their offices in the middle of the workday (a NORMAL workday, not their "10 to 4" workday) with the documents to set it up in person.

I'm not particularly enthusiastic about this, either, because if I get down there and find out they fed me a line of baloney or don't like one or more of the documents I bring (even though I've supposedly confirmed what is acceptable) I'm another three hour round trip away from going to get whatever I need so I'm going to basically have wasted the whole afternoon. I can't even imagine what horrors await me as an actual customer considering what a ridiculous pain it is to even become one.

Is there any way that a homeowner in DC can dump Washington Gas? I have paid my bill online for years. But for 3 or 4 months now, when I have tried to pay my bill online, I get a message each time that the website is being changed and to "bear with us". Today I tried once again. When I tried to sign in I was instructed to click on "forgot my password" and I would be sent a temporary password and then to create a new one. I did that, but when I tried to sign in, the message was that they had no record of my email. So, I tried to create a new account, but couldn't do that because my email was already taken!!!

So, once again, I tried to pay as a "guest", but guess what - after entering all the information about myself, my account and my checking account info, the website said, "we can't process your request at this time." I was so angry, I called to pay online. A very nice young woman took my information and among them, asked for my telephone number. She then said, "that isn't the number we have on file." I have had this same telephone number for 30 years, and had never heard of the number they have on file. I can understand the need to update websites. But, how long can it take? And, how can a company continue to do business with such ongoing incompetence? It must be that I only have one choice for a company to use. Washington Gas, if you read this (which you probably won't) PLEASE fix your website!!!

I recently sold and then bought a new house in DC. I had to call 3 times to get the service disconnected on the house I sold, but it did finally get disconnected (after I received a HEFTY bill that was about $50.00 over my normal monthly bill; I was not past due on any payments). I just tried setting up new service at the new house.

The first customer service representative could not understand my name (my name is Kris... It's not like it's uncommon) and she couldn't find me, so she said they would have to run a credit report. I asked her why since I've been a customer for over 3 years and she said "it's our policy", which I know is just wrong because they didn't run a credit report when I initiated service over 3 years ago. She then put me on hold, and after 5 minutes of being on hold, I hung up. I called back and got a different customer service representative and voila, the account was set up in under 5 minutes and guess what? NO CREDIT CHECK. This company is shoddy and they have some terrible customer service people.

I have had Washington since I moved to VA in 2004, and having lived in two different places, there were always minor issues with the company's billing system, such as surcharges that did not make any sense. But nothing prepared me for the first surprise I had a year ago when I moved back to my old apartment in Centreville, and tried to re-activate my account. Since I was out of the apartment for almost two years (I was overseas and the apartment occupied by tenants, so gas was still serviced), they required a security deposit of over 200 dollars. I was obviously not thrilled with this nonsense - since I had been a customer for at least 8 years, the company should know that I have had no issue with my payments.

A few months ago, I sold my old apartment and moved to a new place in Arlington, and requested a SERVICE TRANSFER from my old place to the new one. Everything seemed to work just fine until I receive a bill for $361 of which $261 INITIATION FEE. When I called and tried to get someone to explain why I should pay initiation fee for a service that is transferred, they called the initiation fee a security deposit based on my credit history. I tried to explain that I have always paid my bills on time and in full and should not be treated in this manner, and in response they suggested I sign up for automatic withdrawal to get initiation fee waived. At this point I looked at the phone to see if it was smiling or winking or something, because I truly thought it was a joke. So if I do not agree to pay a fee, you want me to sign up for automatic withdrawal so you can get your fee without requesting from me?!

Hello, I received a bill for $100.09 due 9 FEB 16, which when I went to the Washington Gas website to pay should that I owed $0. When I tried to pay anyway the website would not let me pay. It would not let me pay ahead such that I would have a negative balance (we were going to be gone on vacation). I called the 703-750-1000 and explained the situation and was told I changed providers and will be billed by the provider and to do nothing. Now for March I have received two bills from Washington Gas, one for $100.09 + $1.50 (the Feb bill plus service charge) plus a second for $149 (my Mar bill). When I go to the website to pay, I can only pay the $149. I call the service number again and am told the same thing I was told in Feb. When I explain that this is what I was told in Feb, that waiting will only add service charges to my bill, the customer service representative repeats what he told me first off.

And we go around this cycle a third time before I give up. I am thinking my only recourse is to figure out where the Washington Gas service center is so I can walk in and pay this bill, which is a very big inconvenience not just in time but I will have to take time off from work to do it because Washington Gas service hours are only during normal work week hours.

I moved to apt on June 1st in Sterling and took Washington gas service. First Issue : I have sent all proof of documents in email for which they never addressed it, I called on June 15th then they said I need to come in person to activate the account (which they never informed about status I called for account number). Office is located 50 miles from my place. Still I went in person and account was setup.

Second Issue : I have never informed about estimated reading on bills. July 1st :4300 (Estimated reading) July 29th : 4305 (Estimated reading) -- charged 5 counts. Aug 27th : 4310 (Estimated reading) -- charged 5 counts. Sep 28th : 4316 (Estimated reading) -- charged 6 counts. Oct 27th : 4632 (Actual Reading) -- charged 316 counts (This is fishy stuff). Nov 30th : 4652 (Actual Reading) -- charged 20 counts. Dec 30th : 4671 (Actual Reading) -- charged 19 counts (Disconnected).

If we see average usage as per actual reading it is 20 counts. I am not sure why they have charged 316 counts for 3 months estimated reading. (I stay alone in 1 bed apt and hardly cook) no way I could have used 316 counts in 3 months. They haven't took actual reading when I moved in how would they be sure that I am not paying something my previous tenant has used service for?? I stayed in the apt for for 6 months so on average I would I might have used 200 counts approx but I paid for 371 counts almost double of I should pay. I have called them numerous of times but none of the colleague listens and they just says that I used the service. They should of took actual reading when I moved in but they didn't.. So pissed off with the customer service.

I was unable to log in, unable to pay my bill. When you click on help or contact Washington Gas you get redirected to a broken sharepoint site. I had them send me a temporary password but then I was unable to reset the password... Now I don't know what password I am suppose to use. They deleted all my previous info from the old website and I am very nervous about giving the new website any financial info to pay the bill... Thinking it could be hacked while it was in this broken state.

I have only had one human contact with WGL Energy, which has taken over Washington Gas. Confusing billing system, as there are two accounts listed on your bill. 1) I learned that the first number is for Washington Gas. Why on earth is there Washington Gas when it's now run by WGL? 2) WGL pays to Washington Gas every month a month a fixed fee.

Here is the confusing part. I called and the very rude representative said that WGL pays Washington Gas, yet when I checked my account online it ONLY showed the Washington Gas amount, which it showed I owed. Customer rep said ignore it, as WGL will pay it. Customer rep berated me for giving her the Washington Gas account number, yet when I asked her at the beginning of the call which account number she wanted, she said either number works. Sounds like a trivial thing, but she yelled at me saying I was wrong to give her the Washington Gas number. Um, seriously?

You said to give you either number and why would you go off the handle and get upset over something so trivial? The reason I was calling was that carryover charges were showing, when in fact I paid the bill in the previous month. Just glad it's not a credit card type scam where they hold your check and then charge you late fees.

Washington Gas without any beforehand information changed their website layout, plus "EVERY" client of WG have to and as a mandatory is required to add security questions and change password. I have tried not once but at least five times to reset my password on their site so I can access my online info. Well, that was a joke. Their new site is like a molasses, it goes, goes and then you get connection error. Customer service completely unhelpful and trying to convince me that the problem will be solved right next day. That is also false. I have been trying this password reset and add the questions for two weeks now. No success.

WG business practice is below "bad" and very, very far from "good". Customer service hold time average 10/15 minutes, very bad and unacceptable. I have no way as a customer to call US office since the number on their site will take you who knows where. There is walk-in office addresses, but I highly doubt that people there would know what is going on. This is simply "NIGHTMARE"!!! I keep wondering why is this happening. Who gets the most pleasure from this approach towards to the customers who are generating the income for WG? It is almost like they trying to force the clients switch to electrical power from gas. I will be trying to access my account randomly and I may also edit or create another review later. Thank you WG being such poor experience!

For weeks and weeks I have been trying to get online to find out why I got a disconnect notice (my payments are automatically deducted from my bank account). The site always times out when you try to log in. There is nothing on the homepage indicating that there is a problem. I have called twice. Both times the representative was helpful, but completely unaware of the web problem. Both times I waited 20 minutes before getting an answer. It is also curious that WGL hasn't taken a moment to reply to ANY of these complaints on this site. Where is their PR Dept (or their customer service department, for that matter)?

I am convinced Washington Gas is running a kickback scam with their payment processing service provider. I have had Washington Gas for over two years and every single time I've tried to pay online, links never work and the website times out after about one minute. Even when you've submitted your payment information, you never arrive at a confirmation screen so you don't know if your payment was submitted or not. I believe Washington Gas relies on that confusion in hopes of customers double paying. Because their website is pure garbage, you're forced to pay through their 3rd party service provider at a fee of $4.55. This is a SCAM, as their website is always down INTENTIONALLY to keep the scam going. Washington Gas is absolutely AWFUL, but because they're a monopoly they have absolutely no incentive to improve customer service!

The company Washington Gas company which services Prince Georges County Maryland and Washington D.C. was suppose to connect the gas back up to the house on December 1st, 2015. The tech arrived at the house per schedule and indicated he did not have all the necessary equipment to complete the job. His name was Mr. Leroy **. I asked the tech why would you come out to a customer house without proper equipment and he indicated that he is a contractor and was not given the proper information for the job to be completed, he would have to reschedule the job. I asked why and he indicated, "Your guess is as good as mine." I called customer service and to my surprise this is also contracted out to the Philippines also. This was a living nightmare talking to someone who you can barely understand and has no comprehension of the weather or the urgency of the matter.

I spoke with some lady name April badge # ** who was suppose to be the supervisor and got nowhere fast, on the phone for 1 hour with no results. I called this fleecing of America, corporations treating its consumers with total disrespect with no repercussions. I had to schedule another day off from work to have the gas turned on again because of mistake based on Washington Gas corporation. This is what happens when companies have a monopoly over certain area. This has got to stop.

Washington Gas Company Profile