1.04/5
Based on 137 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a utility company?

District of Columbia

161 Washington Gas Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 22, 2018

After not receiving bills for 9 months and calling countless times to proactively fix our account, nothing happened. Until finally we received a bill for $981.10. I had spent hours on the phone with them during those 9 months to prevent this situation from happening. Which, by the way, was due to an error on their end. Eventually after losing gas TWICE during those 9 months (once for 4 days during the cooler months), the errors on our account were fixed but the bill was a lump sum. I've dealt with the worst customer service I've ever experienced. It's impossible to get a hold of a supervisor, and once you do, there's "nothing they can do for you." It's so unfortunate that a company this terrible is able to maintain its monopoly over natural gas and abuse its customers like this. I hope corrective action is taken soon. Please continue to voice your complaints.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Yea... $844.40 bill and my gas is turned off! I called 7 on your side. It's supposed to be turned back on while they investigate. Still waiting... Is there something called truth in billing? Should we not be finding out how this is illegal and finding a way to sue Washington Gas? The really bad news is there is no other alternative so I'm stuck paying the money I don't owe...

Washington Gas Reviews (Updated May 2018) | ConsumerAffairs

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: June 6, 2018

I have been a Washington Gas customer for over 30 years. Several years ago I was asked for a $650 deposit in order to continue my service with Washington Gas. I have never paid the deposit, but continue to pay the gas usage listed on the bill. The deposit requested has fluctuated over the years, some months it shows $580, some months $515, some months $600. Now Washington Gas says that the payments made over the past year were arbitrarily applied to the deposit and now the $867 owed does NOT account for any of the deposit, but is for gas usage owed. AND on top of that, they are now charging me several line items of late fees, usually adding up to between $20 and $30 each month.

How can Washington Gas do this to their customers? I spoke to Ms. ** in the Customer service dept and asked when they sent a letter to their customers describing this significant policy change. She said that they unfortunately did not notify customers about the changes, but she wished they did because it has created so much confusion and outrage. Unfortunately, outrage only gets you so far when you are dealing with a monopoly and have no other gas option in the Washington area. I cannot believe a class action suit has not been raised against Washington Gas for this. I asked them if they are no longer listing what the deposit was on my bill, how would I know how much would be owed to me when I do sell my home in the future. She was stumped about that, so I suppose I will cross my fingers and hope Washington Gas pays me, how much, who knows? What a horrible company.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I have tried now on three occasions to have gas restored to my house and to have a 2 PSI meter installed. I first called on Thursday May 31 to get gas restored to my house and a 2 PSI meter installed. During that call, I was told the technician to restore gas connection was supposed to come Thursday May 31. This never happened. I was also told the technician to install a 2 PSI meter was supposed to come Friday June 1. This also never happened.

On Monday June 4, I called your customer service line to find out what was going on. They told me someone would come out on that same day to turn on the gas. That didn't happen. They also told me I had to call 9-4-1-Heat to get the 2 PSI meter installed. So I called 9-4-1 Heat regarding the 2 PSI meter. They told me no, I needed to call the general customer service line (the same people who had just told me to call 9-4-1 Heat). So we called them again. They said the person would be out on Tuesday June 5, to install the 2 PSI meter. That didn't happen.

Today instead I found out that the person that was supposed to arrive yesterday came today to reconnect the gas. So I called the customer service line to find out when the 2 PSI meter person would come. I spoke to Vorcinthia (Employee number **). -- At this point I find it necessary to take names. Vorcinthia said they had no record of a service request for a 2 PSI meter installation. This is infuriating since I had been told by the previous two customer "advocates" that someone was coming on Friday June 1 or Tuesday June 5. Then Vorcinthia said it takes at least a week to schedule a 2 PSI meter installation. They asked for my number and assured me someone would call in 7 days to set up a time to install the 2 PSI meter. I have absolutely no confidence that this is going to happen given the experience I've had so far.

What kind of company are you running???? Why do I have to work with your company? Because you are a monopoly and I have no choice. You behave exactly like one would expect from a company that has no competition. I would drop your company in a second if I had a choice, but of course I don't and so I'm stuck with this ridiculous, Kafkaesque runaround. I would like to know the address and contact information for your accounts payable department so I can bill the time I have had to spend dealing with this to you. So you know, my time bills at $** per hour. This had better be resolved or I will escalate to elected officials. I am also filing a complaint with the Office of the People's Counsel.

As a follow up to this message, 20 minutes after sending the message I got a call from Dimitrius from Washington Gas (service #**), who said he had an order to change the meter on my property. Dimitrius asked what meter I needed. I said a 2 PSI meter. Dimitrius said there is no such thing as a 2 PSI meter. He said I would need to call the customer service line and ask for a high capacity meter. How on earth could no fewer than 3 customer "advocates" assure me that Washington Gas would install a 2 PSI meter if the service technician says there's no such thing as a 2 PSI meter??? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR COMPANY??? DOES NO ONE KNOW ANYTHING THERE???

Original review: March 28, 2018

I have been dealing with a very unusual and high Washington Gas bill for 2 months now. I moved out of state. This was my final bill after closing the account. I am serious about my credit so I felt forced to pay it on my credit card today because I wasn't getting anywhere the 5 times I called customer service to explain to me why the final bill was so high. The last notice said it would be referred to collections in 10 days. I lived in Ashburn VA for 14 months in a 800 sq. ft 2 bedroom apartment. On average my monthly gas bill was approximately $70 a month. The lowest was $43 during the summer and the highest $94 during the fall/winter. This final bill was $271.54! I was told this was an estimate for gas usage in the area. I was surrounded by big houses and I rented a small condo! How is it that I was charged 3 times more than what I paid monthly for 14 months. I made no drastic changes to my usage.

I was renting the unit and moved out on 1/28/18. I called Washington Gas the day before on 1/27 to say that I was moving on 1/28 and to remove my name from the account. I was told the first time I called to dispute that my account ended on February 1 2018. I disputed the charge for the 3 days that I was not living in the unit. I was told over the phone that Washington Gas couldn't end my service on the day I moved and it had to end on the 1st of the month.

The second time I called the customer service rep, her name was Kim said she was going to place the account on an investigation and it takes 72 hours to determine its outcome. She agreed with me over the phone that I should have been charged for 31 days only and not 34 days of usage. 12/30/17-1/28/18. She thought it was unusual that this bill had 3 distribution charges and all of the other bills since the account was open had only 2 distribution charges. I was sent to the phone survey after the call and gave Kim an excellent survey. 72 hours passed and I had no follow up. I called for the 3rd time to follow up, I was told that there was nothing in the system about an investigation and only that I called and ordered an actual meter reading.

The 4th time I called, the meter reading was not done because I was told that it couldn't be backtracked. The 5th and last time I called to speak with a manager and I was put on hold for 2 hours. And then sent to their phone survey again. I could never reach a manager. They are seeking surveys and not offering service. This is unacceptable! I would appreciate it if I can have my experience looked at and even more be refunded for this extra unusual charge on my bill. Thank you ConsumerAffairs if you can resolve this!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Washington Gas?

Original review: March 28, 2018

Over the course of the past 15 months, I have been told by Washington Gas that there were multiple reviews, audits, escalations of my account, and I NEVER have received proper resolution. My account has been overbilled $326.17, due to false meter readings and their inaccurate billing system. Despite removing the gas meter and installing a new one, Washington Gas continues to ignore the resolution of this billing issue. They are the worst company I have ever dealt with.

Original review: March 27, 2018

This is the most incompetent company I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. I have 3 accounts with them (not by choice since they are the only gas provider where I am located). I have had one of my business accounts with them for 11 years. I set the account up on auto-pay to make sure that payments were taken care of. Today I looked in my bank account and saw a withdrawal of $11,493.72. I went into WG online account (which also is a joke) to see what was going on. I looked at the statements (or tried to) for the last 15 months. I noticed that after February of 2017 all of the statements were dated March 5, 2018 for the period 2/2017 to 2/2018.

When I clicked on each statement they were identical and all had an amount of $10,588.98. I called and asked the call clerk to email me my statements for the last 15 months since the ones online were incorrect. She said she was doing it as we spoke. I waited and waited and no statements showed up in my inbox. After 4 more phone calls and 3 hours of trying to explain to the call clerks what happened I finally asked to be transferred to a senior supervisor. I was on hold for 13 minutes. The call clerk came back to me and said that he had located a senior supervisor to help me and that he was transferring me now.

I waited again for several minutes, while my ears were assaulted with some monotonous musical ditty, then I was connected to a phone mail that stated that the person was not available so I left a message. I don't expect to receive a return call. I wish I could give them "zero" stars, but apparently that's not possible. I guess they get 1 star for existing, albeit pitifully.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I set up a one time payment with my bank account and routing number 2 months ago because their systems was down. So I'm checking my account and seen a large payment taken out my account. I call and they gave me the runaround saying that someone in my house made the payment on the 6th because there's no auto pay set up and told me I have to call tomorrow because billing is close but I call at 7pm they had me on many hold till around 9:15. I call in the morning. I spoke to somebody and they said they sent something to the back office and it would be refund in 3 to 5 days. On the 5th day no money in my account. I call back and they give me the same running around as they did when I first called. Now I finally talk to a manager but now she said 3 to 5 days. The biggest issue is I live check to check and they took my whole check and I still don't have it.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Washington Gas took money out of my account that I did not authorized. They went in and used my routing and checking number from a year ago that was for one time and changed to recurring payment every month. Unacceptable and fraud.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I received a bill for August 2017 from Washington Gas that was 14x the bill I received in August 2016, there was a similar issue but not as extreme issue with my September 2017 bill. Then for October of 2017, I received a zero bill. I have made over 15 calls to Washington Gas to try to figure out what is going on. I have been stonewalled, lied to, disconnected, mislead and basically told to suck it up and pay the bill because they have no idea how long the investigation will take. I honestly cannot believe that the state of Virginia permits this monopoly to operate with no accountability and such miserable customer service. I wish you could rate someone zero on this cause that is what they deserve.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

WG claims customers did not pay their bill and then they overcharge us with random deposit amounts and say Equifax determined them based on credit scores and gas usage. This then damages consumer credit scores allowing more random charges to be assessed and justifies WG's "need" to charge a deposit with false claims that customers aren't paying. They then charge late fees on top of that even if you pay for your gas services total every month as I have.

The fact is, consumers attempt to pay but their online and mailed payments mysteriously vanish and you never learn of this until your next billing cycle appears with late charges and surcharges. This has happened to me 3x and when WG refused to break down the excess charges into detailed description or itemized list, I refused to pay the deposit amount. This allowed them to charge interest but none of this is available in writing anywhere and they fail to notify customers that there was interest being charged on the deposit which was never forfeited.

It was randomly determined that $350 was a fair deposit amount when I had been a customer in good standing for over 12 years. I refused to pay but continued getting random excessive amounts added under "other charges" despite paying for gas services every month in full. Every attempt I made contacting Custy Service to learn about the deposit charge -- how was determined, how the deposit was being put into an interest bearing account as is required by law, how will it be returned -- I kept getting the runaround. No one answered anything and nothing was ever put into writing. At this last contact, they pointed out on the bill where it is telling customers they are charged a reconnect fee of

This month, I had $175 in gas usage but paid a $523 bill which no customer service rep would divulge how the excess charges were tallied. Then I was told since I carried the deposit amount for so long, I would never be getting a refund of the money they billed in excess of the gas charges I paid this month. She literally said you can "kiss that money goodbye". It's unlawful to fail to accept payments, blame customers for not paying, then charge hundreds of dollars in fines and call them deposits only to never intend to refund customers the amount they claim. I will be contacting an attorney shortly.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I just received a letter from Washington Gas after I have been with them since 2006 with no issues stating they want me to pay a deposit of $450.00. I have good credit none bad, how is the average person supposed to pay high heating bills as well as a $450.00 deposit?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

My gas bill was sent to a wrong address for few months and suddenly without any warning my gas was cut off. The customer representative was rude and uncooperative and refused to connect with a supervisor. According to Washington gas policy I was asked to pay $2000 upfront for the gas bill, reconnecting charges and security deposit. I told them it's their fault for sending bills at a non-existing address but I was informed it was my duty to call and inquire about the missing bills. I have a special need child and aged parents home, I requested them to spread the payments for couple months and reconnect the gas as they need hot water, but all in vain. I had to borrow money from my relatives to pay them. Still waiting for a reconnection, none of the operator was customer friendly and am hoping someday this corporation to go belly up.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

In our most recent gas bill, we consumed $65 worth of gas, so I was surprised to see a bill exceeding $500. As it turns out, Washington Gas is asking for a $450 DEPOSIT due to "credit status". I have very good credit. After using their services for four years, I am befuddled as to why they would be demanding such a large deposit? I see the other reviews on this site with the same complaint. Unfortunately, this is the problem when there is no competition. They can get away with bad billing practices, bad pricing, bad service, and poor customer support. I too will be contacting my state representative and the State Corporation Commission of Virginia. These guys are crooks.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

Received a statement from Washington Gas that my account had a credit balance and they would be mailing the credit to me. Two months have passed and no payment. Called Washington Gas and they said I had to call to receive the credit balance. I told them that isn't what it says on the bill. Now they say it will take another 45 business days to send me my credit. Absolutely ridiculous. So they are essentially keeping my money interest free. You think they would wait 45 business days for their money? I don't think so. If you're stuck having to use Washington Gas, be prepared for the worst customer service in your life.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

My husband died last year -- account was in his name. I switched this to my name last month, but was not told I would have to pay a $25 "Service Initiation Charge". Apparently this is "mandated" which I think is daylight robbery. We have had an account for over 50 years and yet they charge me because I had to switch service to my name. NO other Utility has done this -- all fees have been waived. If I could give this company ZERO stars I would do it.

Original review: July 17, 2017

I have been a Washington Gas customer for 19 years. My wife has been one for 22 years. Our first time paying a bill late was last September. We paid the full amount due but 10 days late. We expected a late fee, but instead we got a "Request for Deposit." We called and customer service said that they needed a deposit since we paid late and that it would be refunded to us if we paid every bill on time for a year.

We disagreed that this was fair because we had been a long time customer and asked why they didn't use a late fee system as Water and electric companies. They basically said this is "the way they do business." The following month I paid gas charges and a $40 deposit. The next month I received a bill for "current usage" AND another $40.00 deposit. We continued to pay our current usage and we continued to get additional $40.00 deposits added to our bill every month. We were paying on time. In January of this year I noticed they changed our account number for us without any explanation. We did not ask for a new account number.

The January Bill listed current charges and a "PAST DUE AMOUNT" equaling the total amount of $40 deposits they had tacked on each month (with the exception of the one we paid). They no longer labeled this amount "Requested Deposit." This month no bill came at all. We called today and were told that our "Deposit of $300.00 is already paid, but we have outstanding gas charges for usage, delivery, etc."

May's bill listed "Past Due Amount" (Actually "Requested Deposit Amount" without saying so) as $275.00. Mind you that THEY ALREADY HAD A $40.00 DEPOSIT I HAD PAID LAST FALL. They also said we had been sent a shut off notice. Again we received no bill and no shut off notice. We explained on the phone that we had been experiencing financial hardship and that was the reason we had made a late payment last fall. So on the phone today they also said that they "would help us out" since we were having a financially difficult season. Their way of helping us was to tell us that we didn't have to pay this month's bill, but for the 3 months following this month we would have to pay $103.00 per month "and that's it, we would be 'current' on what we owed." So 103 x 3 = 309.00.

So they extremely MISLEADING and basically liars. They took money we paid for current charges every month and then applied it to the "deposits" they were "requesting" and FAILED to send us a bill when they had the amount they wanted in deposits (which were TAKEN ACTUALLY when I paid one of them then denied their further requests for deposit). Then when we call they say "YOUR DEPOSIT IS PAID BUT YOU BETTER PAY YOUR GAS CHARGES. DIDN'T YOU GET THE SHUT OFF NOTICE ON YOUR BILL?"

What kind of company gets away with this kind of DECEPTIVE BILLING PRACTICES??? I am going to call their corporate hotline. Their corporate offices are located in Philadelphia, PA. I will also be contacting my elected Representatives for the Commonwealth of VA and US Congressman and Senator about the Washington Gas's billing practices which I find completely dishonest, haphazard, and underhanded; the kind one would find within a reckless. mismanaged monopoly. BTW, the corporate hotline number for Washington Gas is: (Corporate Compliance Hotline) 800-249-5360.

Original review: June 26, 2017

My gas bills are normally $60-150 per month. The July 2017 bill was for $523, which was for $78 of gas use and a $445 charge for a "Cash Deposit Request". I called them and found out they wanted to directly draw their bill from my checking account and if I did this they would refund the $445 "deposit". I said ok, but they then said I had to still pay the next two payments by check manually. How do these people stay in business?

Original review: June 3, 2017

Washington Gas Company is the WORST! My neighbor was gardening and smelled gas coming from the side of my house on Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 6:54 p.m. I called the Washington Gas Emergency number to report a gas leak and was told a technician would be dispatched as soon as one was available because they took calls according to the emergency and if I didn't want to wait I could call 911. I happen to think that smelling gas is an emergency and called 911. The Fire Dept. arrived about 15 minutes later and confirmed there was a leak, as did another neighbor who stopped by and also smelled gas. One of the firemen said he would also place a call to Washington Gas.

Finally, a technician from the gas company arrived and checked inside the house for gas and finding none he checked outside and confirmed there was a leak in the line supplying gas to the house. He worked on it for about an hour and said he put holes in the gas line so the gas would evaporate into the air which would not pose a danger and since he measured the leakage as 46% that was considered safe (I consider any kind of gas leak UNSAFE!!). However, he said he would submit an order for a truck to come to my house to dig up the yard and repair the gas line going into the house the following day (Sunday) although it would probably be Monday (Memorial Day).

I called Sunday morning at 9:38 a.m. to check on the status of the repair ticket and was told it had been canceled. I again explained my concern and questioned why it was canceled, but was not given a reason. I again asked that the work be done to repair the leak and was told that they would have to open another ticket and send out another technician to evaluate the leak for a 2nd time. The 2nd technician arrived later that day and told me what the 1st one had said and said he would do exactly what the first one did(???) which made no sense to me at all. He also checked the house and did find a leak at the gas meter in my basement and called for a repair team to repair the leak inside. Before he left he told me that he would submit an order for the gas line to be repaired (just like the 1st one did) and they would be out sometime during the week.

Two technicians arrived a little later to repair the meter gas leak in the basement. On Wednesday, May 31st, I called the Washington Gas Customer Service line this time to check on the status of my work order and told it was canceled because according to the work order the problem had been resolved and that the amount of gas escaping was safe at a 46% leakage. I told her that I didn't feel any amount of gas escaping was safe and I didn't feel safe.

Whatever rebuttal I gave she said there was nothing else she could do (after she put me on hold and checked with her supervisor) and asked me if I wanted to talk to her supervisor and after much frustration I said no. She asked if I wanted to be transferred to the Emergency line and I said yes. I spoke to someone at the Emergency number and was told the same thing the customer rep. said so I have not been able to get any resolution to my problem. Suffice to say there is still gas leaking on the side of my house and the pipe needs to be repaired. As far as I'm concerned it was a "band aid" fix and not repaired. What recourse do I have? Are there no safety regulations in place? Feeling helpless and worried.

Original review: April 24, 2017

They are Fraud. I have exact same issue as other reviewers. Auto payment was set up from my account. They did not request the bill pay for long time and sent me $652.75 bill after a year. They are Fraud. I don't know how regulators are allowing this company to run. I am going to send a letter to my local Senator and will refer this review website in the letter. Also after spending hours discussing on the phone and reading the absolutely complex bills of last seven months I found unjustifiable $183.99 additional charge in February bill. They were trusted with our bank accounts and were free to debit any amount of money. This is absolutely insane. MY ADVICE. IMMEDIATELY STOP AUTO PAY TO THEM. CHECK YOUR EVERY BILL (I know not convenient but trust me worth it in this case.). DON'T JUST TRUST WHAT CUSTOMER SERVICE SAY WITHOUT GETTING VERIFIED. (They will get you confused in bills and will end up saying charges are right.)

Resolution response: April 15, 2017

This was resolved. Can be taken down

Original review: April 6, 2017

Washington Gas stopped drafting money out of my account and for months didn't notify me until my bill had quadrupled in size. I called them after the recent bill frantic because they threatened to shut off the gas and I have a disabled elderly person living in my home who requires assisted living. The company told me that they, for months have been attempting to draft money out of my account. My financial institution would later tell me that no such attempts were made. They charged me numerous $25 return check charges and refused to waive the fees.

For no other reason than to charge numerous additional $25 return check charges this company allowed payments to go undrafted from my account. This is predatory behavior and hurtful to the customer. They will blame you or your financial institution for the payment failures and then refuse to reimburse those charges. Be extremely careful when reviewing your bank charges or bills or you could spend many hours on the phone trying to resolve issues. This company will create a problem, blame you for it and then charge you for the problem they created.

Original review: April 4, 2017

Business Model is Awful. Washington Gas requires you to be home from 7am to 5pm without any better indication of when they will be home. The first representative promised me that we would get a call 15 minutes ahead of time. The day of, I called and confirmed we would be getting that call and she told me probably not and that it was the discretion of the driver. We were all already at work and had plans for a close by friend to come when we got the call.

It already took them 5 days for the first available appointment to literally come, turn on a switch. Also, if you put our address in the GPS it sends you to another house, so I asked if she could put in our file or alert the driver of a correct address to put and she told me no, it would push our appointment back until tomorrow. The driver was already assigned and en route, so I don't understand why he couldn't be contacted. She told me because he was en route he would be there within the hour. We have now surpassed one hour and he has yet to show up.

If I didn't have to use this service, I 100% would not. I would also tell everyone I know to never use Washington Gas. On top of that the first representative, put in the wrong email (@gmail. Not even the correct domain) and had such an attitude with me. The second representative was better, but was unable to help solve any issue. Long story short, even the cable companies have a better system.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

We just moved to our home which uses gas - for the past 30 years we lived in homes with electric heat pumps. We get our first gas bill and it states because of my credit status I must pay a $330 deposit which they will return to me after one year if I make timely payments. This is the first time I've been asked by a utility company to pay a deposit because of being "not credit worthy".

I first talked with Doris who stated that TransUnion was contacted for my credit score. Because my FICO score is in the high 790-819 range I knew something was amiss and asked for the phone number to contact them. Doris came back on and said it was not TransUnion but Equifax and gave me the number. I called Equifax and they said no one contacted them from Washington Gas about me and the Equifax rep wanted to know why they said I did not have good credit. I called Washington Gas again and spoke to Cameisha. She said that Washington Gas doesn't contact Equifax but does a "soft" credit check which means they look at other utility companies I've used. I knew that was not accurate because I have faithfully paid WSSC and Dominion Power for decades without missing payments.

I asked to speak to a supervisor or the accounting department. However, no supervisor was available and the accounting department, who makes the final decisions, does not have a phone number for customers. Cameisha had to email them and ask them to contact me within 3 business days. Nothing happened so I called back after 4 business days only to find the accounting department stated I must pay my deposit and leave it with them for the next year. I spoke with Lewis, who was the nicest rep of the group. He talked with a supervisor and asked if anyone had taken my SSN when setting up my account. I could not recall, but it would make sense since the answers they are giving demonstrated they could not have done any investigation on me. Lewis assured me a supervisor would call me back within an hour. Well, that didn't happen...

Next I got Jannika who read me the same response from the accounting department. I asked for a supervisor, but again she said they would tell me the same thing. I explained it all again to Jannika and she said the only thing she could do was write another email to the accounting department and wait 7 to 14 business days for their response. When I explained that Doris lied when she said my credit was checked by Equifax, when it wasn't. Then Cameisha and Jannika could not tell me which utility was contacted as a "soft" credit check because I would contact them myself to ask why they gave me a negative report. It wasn't until much later that Jannika said because my SSN was probably not taken when setting up my account, they would need to communicate that with the accounting department.

In addition to the customer reps' unhelpful suggestions (except Lewis), no one could explain to me how they came to the conclusion I had poor credit when I told them I am more than happy to have them check my FICO scores. It was obvious no one checked my scores. But, they would not share any of that. Instead, it appears they do anything they can to require a deposit from customers and keep that money for a year for their own benefit. If Washington Gas does that to someone who has superior credit, what will they do to the person with average credit? This is why I decided to explain my displeasure with Washington Gas so that others with good credit can question their tactics for requiring a deposit.

Just before we hung up, Jannika must have noticed that my account had a $330 credit (I had already paid the entire bill including the deposit as I didn't want any late charges while I disputed the deposit). Jannika stated a credit had just posted on my account (how did that happen?) and she sent an email to accounting to have them send back my deposit via mail. Again, it will take between 7 to 14 business days for them to send me the check. We'll see... I'm not holding my breath. If this experience is indicative of their service, I have no faith they can resolve this within the next 14 business days. So sad we are stuck with this inept company - the worst utility company I've dealt with in my 30+ years here.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

We have been waiting for hours for your serviceman to come today. I just called your customer service number and spent 15 minutes on the phone with them - most of that time I was on hold. According to customer service your service rep called me at 12:34:15 and could not reach me so he left. My phone records all calls - there was NONE!!!! Nor was there a voice message.

I was told he could not get in the building so he left. The front doors to the building are all unlocked and the garage door is broke and left wide open. He could have walked in and taken the elevator to unit 102. We have been waiting all day in a cold condo waiting for someone to come turn the gas on. We asked last Wednesday for service to this unit. Now I am told someone could come today anywhere from now, 3 pm, until 10:30 pm. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE SERVICE!!! Sadly I have no choice but to use your firm.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

We bought a new house and called to transfer gas service into our names as of 12/21. We weren't moving in immediately, but live locally, so a few days later we stopped by to drop off some stuff and notice that the house is freezing. We call Washington Gas and the woman on the phone confirms that they shut the gas off as of 12/21 and that as far as she can tell, it is their mistake. They have no one available to come out that day, but she assures us someone will be out the next day by 5pm, and they will give us 30 minutes notice. The next day it is creeping up on 4pm so we give them a call to confirm they are still coming out. Yes, they tell us, but it could be anytime until 9pm, and the notice given is only 15 minutes, so we better be waiting around for them. Long story short, no one ever shows.

We go through the same thing the next day and we are told the same thing about 9pm. When it starts getting late my husband calls and they tell him actually the techs work until 2am, so it could be anytime until then. I find this ridiculous to believe, since they need to gain access to our house, and of course I am correct because, after sitting in the driveway of our freezing cold house until after midnight my husband finally just comes home. This time my husband is pissed and gives them a call the next day and they tell him they aren't activating any new accounts until their system comes back up on 1/3 (first we've been told this). They try to give us an appt (the first available) on 1/11 which my husband says is unacceptable considering they have stood us up multiple times already. Magically they are able to squeeze us in on 1/3.

According to their website the system will be back up at 10am, so my husband waits until 10, gives them a call, and they tell him he's not on the schedule for 1/3, but he's on the schedule for 1/5. He argues, speaks with a manager. Nothing is resolved. He now has to take more time off work to sit around at their beck and call tomorrow, and God knows if they'll even show up. I am beyond annoyed at this point and if we had any other options I certainly would go with anyone other than Washington Gas. Thankfully we aren't living in the house yet, but they don't know that, and with the freezing cold temperatures if a pipe burst it would be on us, not them to eat the cost.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

I understand Washington Gas is updating their systems. However to be forced to pay by waiting for someone to pick up the phone for over an hour is unacceptable. The Online Recourse is long enough. This is just a complaint from today. Last year I failed to pay. Had to wait for payday. They disconnected me. Fair enough. However I paid my reconnect fee and my bill in full. Obviously before they would come out ok, I paid everything on a Friday. They WOULD NOT come and turn my service on until Monday (mind I paid all fees by 10 a.m. on that Friday) middle of November with a small child in my home.

I hate this company. The manager was so rude and nasty and inhuman. I begged for him to send someone out as it was mid November and was cold. He said absolutely not its policy. Since when is it policy to let someone and a child to go cold with no hot water in Mid November really!!! They are an evil company and I wish I could move slowly so I do not have to deal with them!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2016

Transfer calls to Philippines. Rude customer service... they charge whatever they want for the bills. Shady meters - some old or leak since their contractors do not service them or install them properly. The leaks on their meters make your bill insanely high. The government must be getting some cuts from this company since they let them operate freely. Criminal monopoly that operates freely and legally stealing from people.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2016

Customer service is non existent with Wash Gas. How is a utility company closed on a Friday? Even their online site is closed. I live in another state and I've been trying to connect gas to my Alexandria home for a week and they've been impossible to deal with. They should be shut down by the government. Worst customer service in history!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

In Feb 2016 I had a gas leak. I was told a temporary fix would be placed on it and they would be back when the ground was not frozen. I realized in Aug they had not been back and sent an email. The first email did not elicit a response, the second one did. Two days after the second email 3 people called and arranged an appointment the first day I was back in town. A contractor from WGL arrived on time and said he was there to replace the meter. He did not know about the leak. He found it and called in another crew. They worked all afternoon and into the evening. I had to leave at 530 pm and they said just to call to get the pilot relit. I have been trying to do that for over a week. They can only book day of the call and it is an all day appointment. I called in late afternoon for the next day and they booked the same day. They told me this late in the call and I said to cancel and I would call tomorrow.

I called the next day and waited all day and they did not come. They did not book the appointment correctly although they acknowledge the call. They booked that night and never showed. They booked another day and did not show. Now supposedly I am a priority but have been waiting since 7 am and it is almost noon. The call center provides different info, there is no escalation. They do not know where the techs are. The techs do not call you. I understand emergencies happen... Why not call and say they cannot make it? I truly feel I am in a third world country. This is rude. I need a shower and a life. I noticed you ask for order number. It would help if they gave them. There are so many little things they could do to make this experience better. I can only assume they do not care.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2016

I have to use this gas service company when I moved to Washington area. I am feeling extremely uncomfortable with this company. First of all, I have to spend more than 5 calls to setup my account. Then for my first two bills, whatever I tried, the payment could not be processed online till I finally got chance to speak one of the customer officers and I was told the computer system was not working properly. However, I was still charged $20 penalty fee and they claimed that the charge from my bank was returned. When I called to my bank, they told me that they didn't receive potential draft from Washington Gas. Lately, I was charged twice for the same reason. I really want to switch to another Gas company if I have another choice. Also, their customer service officer's attitude is very rude. I complained them and asked the manager to call me. As it was expected, their manager didn't call me within 24 hours, and never.

Washington Gas Company Information