1.03/5

Need a utility company?

District of Columbia

Need a utility company?

171 Washington Gas Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 12, 2019

I signed up for autopay when I moved into my new home in Washington, DC. A few months later I started getting phone calls instructing me to call the Washington Gas 800 number regarding my account. I did so, twice. I was told all was fine; it was a computer-generated error on their end due to an auto payment problem. Then I received a shut-off notice in the mail. Sure enough, the gas was shut off almost immediately thereafter. Auto payment had not been debiting my account, and I was hundreds of dollars in arrears. Washington Gas said it would be days before they could turn it back on again. I said that would be unacceptable, as I would be traveling and unavailable to relight the pilots throughout the house. After much back and forth, we got my gas service restored.

Within two weeks, and entirely unrelated to any bill, Washington Gas debited over $200 from my bank account. They offered to apply it to a future bill, and I declined as I no longer trusted them with any access to my money. It took over 30 days to get a refund by paper check. I had to involve the consumer advocate at the DC Office of the Attorney General to get final resolution on that issue. Ultimately, I turned off autopayment to prevent future problems. Washington Gas also routinely over-debited from my friends in Brookland. They did not notice until they had a $1000 credit. Three other households that I know of in DC had the same autopayment and threat to disconnect service issue that I had.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I wish there was another option in my area. There is a constant smell of gas in our neighborhood and we are told that the leaks "aren't a priority" and they will get to them in time (for years). Plus, they cost about double what I paid when I lived in Laurel or Baltimore. AND, their customer service is terrible. For example, the phone line they put in their letter to make a payment to avoid shutoff is actually disconnected. Installing propane would be very expensive, but the horribleness has me considering it.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Washington Gas - five leaks have been discovered because I keep calling. Yesterday they said they fixed it. Today we have no heat or hot water due to three more IN MY HOME. NO HOTEL VOUCHERS PROVIDED. I was a furloughed govt. employee of 18 years, then became disabled on LWOP, I believe due to constantly breathing the gas. My children have been sick. My grandson. Our animals. I tried getting hotel vouchers. It's freezing!!! I don't have credit to pay for hotels... They will be back tomorrow, but this is so unfair. We are so cold. And I can't work. Washington Gas should be overhauled. I will be seeking legal remediation.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

On January 18th, we had a new furnace installed by FH FURR. FH FURR was not able to get the furnace working because, apparently, the gas pressure was too low. They provided us with specific instructions related to the adjustment of the gas pressure by Washington Gas and said once Washington Gas completed the task, they could come back out and finish their work.

We called WG that same day and was told someone would be out. WG did not show up. We called and were told there was an emergency and rescheduled for Wednesday, January 23, a time I could arrange to stay home from work. I called WG Customer Service that day to confirm that they would come out. Once again, no one showed up after staying home from work, calling Customer Service several times, and waiting until 9 pm. For the third time, we rescheduled for Friday, January 25 and I arranged to stay home from work again. For the third time, they did not show.

Three no shows after we had to take time from work is absolutely outrageous. Customer Service is unable to assist in any way. When I call, I hear the same script, "trucks have been dispatched to your area", "there may have been an emergency". They are unable to provide an ETA for the service person's arrival and never allow you to speak with a supervisor. Actually, when one did agree to get a supervisor, the call was disconnected. Of course, we are now extremely upset and have called customer service many, many times in hopes, someone will offer real assistance.

We realize we are at the mercy of WG because there is no other gas company to switch to. If there were, we would no longer be WG customers. It shows a complete lack of respect for customers to make them take time from work and wait the entire day without leaving the house, then never show up without a word. Not to mention, we are still without heat. We are not waiting a 4th day, but have no reason to expect them to show.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

My tenant called to let me know that he smelled gas in the rental property. I called Washington Gas. A technician went there to ring the doorbell. The tenant was taking a shower and did not answer the door in time. I went there to just to see a note left by the technician and realized that gas was shut down from outside. I called again and was promised to send a technician over. I was then waiting in that house for over 15 hours.

I called almost every hour and was told that technician was dispatched and could come any time. At 7:30am next day, I called again and was told that they don't know when the technician would come and I could be waiting for the whole day again. The house had no gas and therefore there was no heater and hot water. My husband was with me. He has anxiety and getting so worried and started yelling and screaming. I asked to talk to their manager. I was then put on hold and never got back any response.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Washington Gas?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Washington Gas Customer service is my worst experience. It took me 2 appointment but did not get the service turned on. One appointment they showed up at a wrong time and I was not home. The second appointment was from 7am-5pm to wait for them (a whole day appointment!!!) And they called this time. Unfortunately they went to my voicemail instead, and they did not come. I listened to my voice mail and called them back right away. They re-scheduled for a end of the day appointment, but never showed up. When I called them to ask why, they said the technician called but no one answered the phone both times. A bunch of liars and incompetent people. I asked to speak to a supervisor and waited for 15 minutes, then said they would call back, but never!!! I wish I could get gas from another gas supplier, I would have done that immediately. We will convert everything to electricity to not to deal with them.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

11400 Hennessey Dr, Beltsville Maryland - I have call more than 30 times within one month to move gas line pop up from ground level, every time they put me hold long time and reply was they have my work order and my supervisor or someone going to contact me. Till now nothing happen. Almost one month now.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I had Washington Gas in Vienna for more than a year. I finally sold my home in Ohio and moved to Virginia full time. I stopped all auto payments from Ohio so I can do it with a local bank now. In this process they were denied payment by the bank. I got a bill at home again and as requested sent them a bank check. Now I called supervisor to give them my new bank info. I live in a million dollar home. Have never missed payment. She tells me, "Now you have to mail a bank check for year and a half." What a joke. I was going to disconnect them and go with another company. Sadly there is nothing else but Washington Gas in our area. ** people running this company.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

This was one of the worst experiences I've ever had with "customer service." It took me an hour and a half to set up an account (which consists of giving your address, phone number, name and social security # - THAT'S IT). I was disconnected while on hold with the first rep. Called back and was told it wasn't possible to talk to the same person, so I would need to restart the process. This time she could not get my account to "work" but was going to try to "force it" to work?? We were disconnected again.

Called back and asked for Courtney (the girl I had talked to before so I wouldn't have to set up a THIRD account) and was transferred back into the main menu to be put on hold again. Called back AGAIN and talked to the exact girl from the previous call. She said "give me one second" then hung up on me. Her name was Laura and had a distinct southern accent...if you get her as your rep HANG UP. Finally I called back and was able to get my account set up with a gentleman that somewhat knew what he was doing. Clear that Washington Gas needs to do a much better job at vetting their employees...

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Our bill had never been over the amount of 20$ in the year we have lived in the condo we rent. All of a sudden on 8/23/2018 we receive a bill for $577.72 due in September. We were SHOCKED. How?! There is no way. So we call and the customer service representative - Diamond, said some bogus stuff about that was an accumulation of 5 months of USAGE that they just read on a meter that "wasn't working" so the bills over the past 5 months we were paying (around $11-$15) were an "estimate". Well who's at fault for a bad meter reading for the past 5 months? How can your estimates be so disgustingly OFF?! How can you bill for "estimates"?!

Last how can you expect people to pay this ungodly amount when we have never budgeted more than 20$ a month for the past year we have lived here. We were never given a supervisor when we asked 3 times on the phone. We also only have a simple gas stove we use maybe once a day to cook dinner. I am disgusted. I also just signed up for the auto bill pay last month - and NOW this happens?! Guess who cancelled it immediately!

Washington Gas Company Information