2. Homeowners

District of Columbia

3.9/5 (211 ratings)

About Washington Gas

Washington Gas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Washington Gas?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Washington Gas?

Original review: May 24, 2021

I honestly do not even know where to start from with this company, completely ridiculous. So I had requested them to turn on gas at my new place over 5 times and as other reviewers mentioned, there is not a set time so you are asked to be at the location of service from 7am-5pm, every time I have made an "appointment", the technician did not show up. Is there not an organization that holds this organization responsible, I mean how can they get away with this nonsense.

Original review: April 30, 2021

They replaced a regulator outside my house because it was leaking gas. They replaced it and shut the gas. I was told to call to reconnect and ensure the appliances would be safely operational. Three days after, I still have no gas and I can't accept the fact they are inefficient and don't care about their level of service. I called over 8 times and many times after long wait I was disconnected. What is wrong with this garbage of a company. This is what you go through when a monopoly provides a lousy service. No competition. They don't give a crap. You're screwed.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 6, 2021

Called to set up a new account, first agent enter my personal info instead of business info and set up a service date. Waited... no show, no call. I called back, "Oh yeah error on the previous agent, account is not setup properly. We need.... to set you up but you need to call 7 DAYS to verify if we receive the E-MAIL with your documents." Called back after .. "Oh no. It has not been 14 days yet." Meanwhile anytime you call you stay on hold for 30 mins. Called. Escalated to a manager, very helpful set a new service date between 7am and 12pm, no show, no call. I called back, "Oh no. We don't give out service time. It's between 7 am and 5 pm and tech will not call before arrival so you have to stay in the office from 7 am until 5pm. Unfortunately, it is our policy." I wonder if this type of policy makers have ever requested a service from Washington Gas before? Maybe they might be able to reconsider this policy!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

The customer service number is a classic example of noise pollution. I was on hold and they keep repeating messages over and over again. If you planning to call them, make sure you have **. Worst call center messaging ever heard.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

On Tuesday, I called to have service turned back on. The operator said that they don't work on Wednesday (Inauguration day, I have no clue that it's a holiday!) and earliest that they can come out is on Thursday. I took off work to stay at home...waiting. No show! I called at 3pm, and they said a service request was never opened. I now have to take off another day, and they don't even know when they can come out. "Call ahead" is a courtesy! What the **.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

If you have the choice between this company and another gas company, go with the other company. This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced. It does not matter how many times you email or call them, you will not get a response. I have emailed 10 times over a 2 month period and I only get an automated response back. I have called 10 times over 2 months only to be put on hold for over 45 minutes, Every time the automated person keeps saying "Your estimates wait time is over 30 minutes." Who knows if there is actually somebody there to answer phone calls or respond to emails. I get the times we are in, but these are things people can do while working from home. I might just be better off trying to convert everything in my house to electric. AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

I am having the same issue as most of the other reviews: I need gas turned on for a new house and it is not possible to do this on the website for some reason, so I need to go through the awful customer care line, and cannot get anything done. Has anyone figured out a better way to do this than do throw away countless hours of my life on this god-forsaken hold line? Side note, if the government would deregulate utilities, then a competitor could come in and put this company out of business, but they are a government-sanctioned monopoly, and they act like it. They know there is nothing we can do about them.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

I have tried repeatedly for over two weeks to set up gas service on my new home, and still have no gas. I set up the service online, but no one ever showed up to start the service. I tried again to set a new service date, but the online form was not working. I have tried multiple times today to reach someone, but this is not working either. After being on hold for 45 minutes, the line rang as though someone was actually going to answer, but then they hung up on me. I am now on hold again as I write this. I have emailed customer service at least three times, and they never answer. Does anyone know if there is a way to hold them accountable? I hope the company reads this and tries to provide a better customer service experience.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

If I could give Washington Gas a negative star, I would. I bought a new house and contacting all the utility companies from the time we signed the contract knowing that everything was on tracks. We did not have issues with any other company. I called this company more than 8 times and stay on the phone for more than 2 hours sometimes. You may ask how did that happen. I called them from my cell phone at work and since the phone is not being used for anything, I just put it on speaker and waited for someone to come on the line. The voice recording that comes always says that your wait time is more than 30 minutes. I sent them four (4) emails without a single response (only the auto replies).

I tried the online tools to stop the service at the old location and start service at the new location without success. At the old location, the system found multiple accounts so the computer can not process it. It has to be a person. For the new location, there is a system error every time I try it. Last night, I moved to the house after settlement only to find out that the gas is turned off. I called the emergency line. The person who took the call stated that she couldn't find my name on the account for that location so she couldn't discuss anything with me (of course, I don't have my name on any account at that location because I just purchased that house).

To start a service, I need to talk to a customer service representative. She acknowledged that the wait time may be long but that is the only way to start a service. Like I stated in my last letter to them, I am so disappointed in Washington Gas. I just wished I had another option. So disappointed. I still have no gas running as I am writing this review. What a (explicit) company to deal with!? Hope one of their managers reads this review and give an explanation on why they treat customers like that.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I called Washington Gas 3 time and was on hold for almost 2 hours each time and after a long hold was kicked out. The third time the agent did not answer my question. I went to the website trying to find help, but none of the help links working, horrible service...

Washington Gas Company Information