District of Columbia

3.9/5 (291 ratings)

About Washington Gas

Washington Gas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Washington Gas?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Washington Gas?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

I had to close my checking account and open another. I called Washington Gas and provided with new account. The following month my service was disrupted and I received an email stating my payment was returned due to closed account AND they would be charging me a return-reconnect fee… WHAT?!? I call customer service and was told they would open a case for review of my refund. Unbelievable!! I wish there was another gas provider I would switch in a second regardless of their prices. This is not the first unprofessional occurrence and I am sure not the last. I seen they were fined back in March 22 for poor customer service. What does that mean for us customers?!?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

I was scheduled to have service connected today (8/8/2022). The techs arrived, went to my front door, and knocked (lightly) before leaving a note stating, “no answer”. The problem is that the front door is on the first level, and we are three levels up. Even if the tech banged on the door, it would be difficult hearing it from the 3rd level. I have ring doorbells installed in the front and back. The techs did not bother ring either of them. The second tech even slipped the notice of service on my garage doorbell but neglected to ring it! When these appointments are scheduled, we are given an all-day window where we must have an adult available to let the tech inside. I took today off SPECIFICALLY for this and these guys canceled my appointment for no show!

They were there for a total of 5 minutes based on the video footage from my doorbell cameras. I never heard a knock, and they definitely did not ring the doorbell. I’ve attached the video footage of them arriving, knocking on the door, leaving the notice, and departing. When I called customer service (spoke to Michelle who was wonderful), she tried to get them to return but the ticket was cancelled, and I have to reschedule. These guys have no regard for the customer and the fact that we have to take time off work to make these service appointments. I’ve been without service for over a week now and will not have anyone available to wait all day when I reschedule. Very unprofessional!!! Here are the videos from the time they arrived till the time they left:

Techs Arrive (~10:03 am) **
Tech Knocks on front door (~10:04 am) **
Tech Leaves Front Door (~10:05 am) **

Tech Leave "No Show" Notice (~10:08 am) **

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 19, 2022

We have had auto pay since establishing an account with WG, zero late payments. WG set up our account wrong, and when we tried to fix it, they are not crediting us with the payments we've made. They want us to pay again for some months that we have the documentation we've already paid. We've sent them all sorts of documentation that they've asked for. They keep saying "Don't pay us for what you've already paid, we're going to fix the problem. Yesterday we received a "Discontinuance Notice." They want $750 in 10 days, or they turn off our gas.

Over the past several months, we've spent HOURS on the phone with WG. It always ends the same way, "We'll fix the problem." We've promptly sent them every ridiculous piece of documentation that they've asked for- multiple times. Is treating good-paying customers like deadbeats and discontinuing their service "fixing the problem"? WG has proven that they don't need to care about customers, they have the gas service in our area sewn up. There are no other providers to choose from.

Original review: May 5, 2022

We moved and transferred from previous house to new house. They ended up continuing to charge for the old house while sending the bills to the new address. Unknowing that we were paying for the old house we continued paying. They turned off our gas without any notification. We called and discovered they never transferred the service to the new house. We paid for all the prior months on the phone immediately. They were going to send a person out. The person did not call or ring the doorbell and left as per the door camera. I called back and they guaranteed to send someone back out immediately by the end of the day.

When nobody shows I call back in, they now refuse to send someone to turn on the gas. Claim that we have not paid despite that we have an email trail confirming payment. Then they refused to re-charge the account or escalate the call so we can resolve the issue then hung up on me. This was such a bad experience I am now in the process of removing all my gas products and advise you to do same rather than deal with this company.

Original review: March 11, 2022

Washington Gas should be taught in Business School on how run the absolutely worse company in the world. I literally dread having to call and deal with this fake, worthless company. I would pay more money to get Gas from another other company than this piece of crap WG.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

They need to improve their neighborhood gas usage comparisons. All electric homes should be screened out and similar square footage used. Gas cooking and gas fireplaces indicated. When they indicate that my gas usage is higher than average, more info would be useful. Service is fine.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

I have repeatedly tried to contact them over the course of about a week and a half. My bill is for about $100 and $69 of that is strange fees. I can't get them to respond to their own contact form, FaceBook, Twitter, email or pick up the phone. Actually, that's not entirely true. I was on hold for 59 minutes earlier today, got someone who had NO IDEA how anything worked and was completely clueless. She couldn't even figure out how to hang up my call. I had to hang up. She couldn't transfer me.

She called me back and transferred me....to the back of the line. I've been on hold for three and a half hours since then and it's said, "Your expected wait time is greater than one hour" for those three + hours now. Every 30 seconds or so it beeps to go with the horrible music. I'm incredibly frustrated. I can't visit the website b/c I get no response from there. We are held hostage to this and it's awful. I have a child - I can't afford to have my gas cut off, but I don't want to pay things I don't actually owe, either!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

Tried to sign up for a renter moving out on March 2021. Getting the account to landlord (myself). The customer service says to email document to prove I own the property to enroll in landlord program. Been 6 month and no call back. Winter is approaching and I am genuinely concerned that I won't get heat. Reaching customer service is next to impossible with the automated voice says I have less than 30 minute wait time. That was an hour ago. If there is no heat by first frost, I plan to sue class action.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

I've had nothing but issues with this company. When I had them in my apartment, they sent me a bill for the whole complex AND my apartment unit. After my wife and I bought a condo, she had to move out due to work-related reasons and traveling. We were told via phone that an account would open for her at her apartment and the account would stay at the house for me. The gas ended up being shut off at my home. I called and scheduled it to be turned back on, but the earliest appointment was a week out. They gave me a 5 hour window that a tech would show up. Had to call off work to be home for the appointment and here we are, the tech never showed up. No call, no text, no email. Just never showed. No response to my phone call or email to customer service either. So here I am yet even longer without hot water, a stove or oven, and no heat at night because their representatives gave me false information and their technician was a no-show.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

I moved from Alexandria VA on May 23rd 2021 and have been unable to cancel my service. The website only allowed me to cancel after that date. I have been calling for 2 months and have been unable to get past their hold music. Their virtual hold has not worked. They have not responded to my emails. I simply will no longer pay my bill until they call me.

Washington Gas Company Information