District of Columbia

3.0/5 (95 ratings)

About Washington Gas

Washington Gas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Washington Gas?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Washington Gas?

Original review: May 5, 2022

We moved and transferred from previous house to new house. They ended up continuing to charge for the old house while sending the bills to the new address. Unknowing that we were paying for the old house we continued paying. They turned off our gas without any notification. We called and discovered they never transferred the service to the new house. We paid for all the prior months on the phone immediately. They were going to send a person out. The person did not call or ring the doorbell and left as per the door camera. I called back and they guaranteed to send someone back out immediately by the end of the day.

When nobody shows I call back in, they now refuse to send someone to turn on the gas. Claim that we have not paid despite that we have an email trail confirming payment. Then they refused to re-charge the account or escalate the call so we can resolve the issue then hung up on me. This was such a bad experience I am now in the process of removing all my gas products and advise you to do same rather than deal with this company.

Original review: March 11, 2022

Washington Gas should be taught in Business School on how run the absolutely worse company in the world. I literally dread having to call and deal with this fake, worthless company. I would pay more money to get Gas from another other company than this piece of crap WG.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

They need to improve their neighborhood gas usage comparisons. All electric homes should be screened out and similar square footage used. Gas cooking and gas fireplaces indicated. When they indicate that my gas usage is higher than average, more info would be useful. Service is fine.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

I have repeatedly tried to contact them over the course of about a week and a half. My bill is for about $100 and $69 of that is strange fees. I can't get them to respond to their own contact form, FaceBook, Twitter, email or pick up the phone. Actually, that's not entirely true. I was on hold for 59 minutes earlier today, got someone who had NO IDEA how anything worked and was completely clueless. She couldn't even figure out how to hang up my call. I had to hang up. She couldn't transfer me.

She called me back and transferred me....to the back of the line. I've been on hold for three and a half hours since then and it's said, "Your expected wait time is greater than one hour" for those three + hours now. Every 30 seconds or so it beeps to go with the horrible music. I'm incredibly frustrated. I can't visit the website b/c I get no response from there. We are held hostage to this and it's awful. I have a child - I can't afford to have my gas cut off, but I don't want to pay things I don't actually owe, either!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

Tried to sign up for a renter moving out on March 2021. Getting the account to landlord (myself). The customer service says to email document to prove I own the property to enroll in landlord program. Been 6 month and no call back. Winter is approaching and I am genuinely concerned that I won't get heat. Reaching customer service is next to impossible with the automated voice says I have less than 30 minute wait time. That was an hour ago. If there is no heat by first frost, I plan to sue class action.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

I've had nothing but issues with this company. When I had them in my apartment, they sent me a bill for the whole complex AND my apartment unit. After my wife and I bought a condo, she had to move out due to work-related reasons and traveling. We were told via phone that an account would open for her at her apartment and the account would stay at the house for me. The gas ended up being shut off at my home. I called and scheduled it to be turned back on, but the earliest appointment was a week out. They gave me a 5 hour window that a tech would show up. Had to call off work to be home for the appointment and here we are, the tech never showed up. No call, no text, no email. Just never showed. No response to my phone call or email to customer service either. So here I am yet even longer without hot water, a stove or oven, and no heat at night because their representatives gave me false information and their technician was a no-show.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

I moved from Alexandria VA on May 23rd 2021 and have been unable to cancel my service. The website only allowed me to cancel after that date. I have been calling for 2 months and have been unable to get past their hold music. Their virtual hold has not worked. They have not responded to my emails. I simply will no longer pay my bill until they call me.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

Absolutely! This a extremely bad customer service in the gas service history. Never answer the phone. What we can do? Washington Gas need a renovation in the management from corporate to local offices.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

A couple of months ago we received notice that our meter needed to be swapped out for a new one, and at that time the tech said he had to turn the gas off bc we didn't have a stove hooked up. Fine. Our house was going through a renovation and we didn't live there, so no problem. Fast forward two months, and we have moved in and have hooked up a new stove so we called for service to be restored numerous times. On the first attempt I spent 2+ hours on hold, no answer. On the next attempt I spent 4 hours on hold only to have my call connected and immediately disconnected once I explained what I was calling about. I was told I was being transferred to someone who could help, but I was disconnected instead.

The next day I sat on hold for another 2.5 hours and was surprised to reach a rep so "quickly." I finally got someone who was interested in, and capable of, helping. A tech was scheduled to come out yesterday, sometime between 9 and 5. The CSR said we didn't need to be present for the service, but we were going to make sure we were anyway, just to be safe. Nobody showed up.

I awoke this morning and found a notice on my front door saying a tech came by at 9PM and nobody was home, so they did NOTHING. Aside from the fact that arriving at 9pm with no notice is absolutely ridiculous, we were, in fact, home putting our small children to bed at that time. Never heard a knock. Never got a call. Now I'm back on hold for what I'm sure will be a ridiculous amount of time.

I filed a complaint with the company and received an auto email blaming their poor customer service on...wait for it...COVID! The great, unquestionable catch all excuse. Somehow I doubt Covid is the reason why a CSR rep, who works from home, and technician, who works alone, is the reason for the complete unreliability of this horrendous utility provider. My family and I have been living in a house with no hot water and no stove/oven for weeks and there is seemingly no way to reach the one company who can correct the issue. Since they have a monopoly on natural gas in the area we are left with no other recourse but to grit our teeth and bear it. Truly unbelievable.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

I keep getting notices that my bill was paid on an account I thought was cancelled in 2008! I've been trying to get them to get that account out of my name for 9 months now to no avail and have yet to have anyone contact me.

Washington Gas Company Information