2. Homeowners

District of Columbia

3.9/5 (250 ratings)

About Washington Gas

Washington Gas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Washington Gas?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Washington Gas?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

If I could give Washington Gas a negative star, I would. I bought a new house and contacting all the utility companies from the time we signed the contract knowing that everything was on tracks. We did not have issues with any other company. I called this company more than 8 times and stay on the phone for more than 2 hours sometimes. You may ask how did that happen. I called them from my cell phone at work and since the phone is not being used for anything, I just put it on speaker and waited for someone to come on the line. The voice recording that comes always says that your wait time is more than 30 minutes. I sent them four (4) emails without a single response (only the auto replies).

I tried the online tools to stop the service at the old location and start service at the new location without success. At the old location, the system found multiple accounts so the computer can not process it. It has to be a person. For the new location, there is a system error every time I try it. Last night, I moved to the house after settlement only to find out that the gas is turned off. I called the emergency line. The person who took the call stated that she couldn't find my name on the account for that location so she couldn't discuss anything with me (of course, I don't have my name on any account at that location because I just purchased that house).

To start a service, I need to talk to a customer service representative. She acknowledged that the wait time may be long but that is the only way to start a service. Like I stated in my last letter to them, I am so disappointed in Washington Gas. I just wished I had another option. So disappointed. I still have no gas running as I am writing this review. What a (explicit) company to deal with!? Hope one of their managers reads this review and give an explanation on why they treat customers like that.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I called Washington Gas 3 time and was on hold for almost 2 hours each time and after a long hold was kicked out. The third time the agent did not answer my question. I went to the website trying to find help, but none of the help links working, horrible service...

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

I needed to start a new service. Their website won't allow me to create an account online and told me to call their customer service number. I called multiple times and never got to speak to an agent. Finally, I got hold of an agent and she helped me set up a time for their installer to reset the meter. However, the installer failed to show up during the appointment window. I tried to call but never got through. Not sure when I will have gas. Very frustrating experience.

Original review: July 28, 2020

My first time doing business with Washington gas, I was planning to move to a new house, I called the company and they schedule for someone to come and turn on the meter, the time frame given to me was 7 am to 5 pm! I explained that I don't live in that address yet and asked for someone to call me 20 minutes prior to coming so I can drive there, that didn't happen, the agent came in, knocked on the door and left, I called again and the same scenario happened again, I moved in and the company turned off the gas that day!

I can't understand why I HAVE TO call them to buy a service, but they DON'T HAVE TO call me to sell me that service! The company keeps saying that the agent DON'T HAVE to call, my only explanation that it is either a terrible customer service or very underpaid employees who don't get reimbursed for using their own phones for doing business to the company so they don't call people which make it even worse, any other explanation!

Original review: June 30, 2020

I had horrible experience while trying to stop my service. I called Washington Gas and waited for almost 3+ hours but could not speak to a customer service agent. I tried reaching them multiple times but no luck. Nowadays call centers will offer option to call you back so that we don't lose our queue but Washington Gas does not care at all. Got frustrated and tried stopping service online but worst part, online form does not allow you to submit - does not give any error but still submit link is disabled. Customers have to literally take a day off from our work to start or stop Washington Gas. I wish there are other companies in my area so that Washington Gas company does not have a monopoly and not care their customers. Not sure when and how will I be able to stop my service. I am sure my feedback will not change anything at Washington Gas but still at least this helps me vent out in public forums.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

Washington Gas's internet payment services doesn't work. Impossible to contact help unless you want to spend 3 or 4 hours. The horrible thing is, there is nothing you can do about the bad service. They are the only gas provider. Thanks Washington Gas for the lousy service.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

They won't come start service, it is been two weeks, I called many times, clerks don't care. Every time I call different story, one clerk told me, "Keep calling us to remind us of your appointment" because they forget appointments, here we sitting in cold.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

Was overcharged and called in to speak with rep and waited on hold and spoke with people who had no idea what they were doing. Then after multiple calls was told to email customer support. 2 weeks later they send back an email which tells me nothing about the overcharge, I then respond right away and another 2 weeks later they tell me we sent you a refund. Only problem the refund was for my initial deposit not the overcharging. Going on 20+ hours of fighting for 100 bucks. Nightmare company but hell who else you going to use. STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS!!! KNOWING WHAT I KNOW NOW I WOULD'VE SKIPPED HEAT!!!

Original review: June 12, 2019

I signed up for autopay when I moved into my new home in Washington, DC. A few months later I started getting phone calls instructing me to call the Washington Gas 800 number regarding my account. I did so, twice. I was told all was fine; it was a computer-generated error on their end due to an auto payment problem. Then I received a shut-off notice in the mail. Sure enough, the gas was shut off almost immediately thereafter. Auto payment had not been debiting my account, and I was hundreds of dollars in arrears. Washington Gas said it would be days before they could turn it back on again. I said that would be unacceptable, as I would be traveling and unavailable to relight the pilots throughout the house. After much back and forth, we got my gas service restored.

Within two weeks, and entirely unrelated to any bill, Washington Gas debited over $200 from my bank account. They offered to apply it to a future bill, and I declined as I no longer trusted them with any access to my money. It took over 30 days to get a refund by paper check. I had to involve the consumer advocate at the DC Office of the Attorney General to get final resolution on that issue. Ultimately, I turned off autopayment to prevent future problems. Washington Gas also routinely over-debited from my friends in Brookland. They did not notice until they had a $1000 credit. Three other households that I know of in DC had the same autopayment and threat to disconnect service issue that I had.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I wish there was another option in my area. There is a constant smell of gas in our neighborhood and we are told that the leaks "aren't a priority" and they will get to them in time (for years). Plus, they cost about double what I paid when I lived in Laurel or Baltimore. AND, their customer service is terrible. For example, the phone line they put in their letter to make a payment to avoid shutoff is actually disconnected. Installing propane would be very expensive, but the horribleness has me considering it.

Washington Gas Company Information