Southern California Gas

California

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Just spoke with the rudest supervisor at SoCal Gas Company, Mr. ** (if that is his real name). We had work done at our home last month that required disconnecting gas. The technician was too lazy to check if the central heater was reconnected properly, so he simply wrote notes that he was unable to get to the unit, with bunch of made up excuses. He omitted telling me that, when he had me sign the work payment receipt in order to collect $80.00 for 5 minutes he spent at our home. I have explained all this to the above mentioned Mr. **, emphasizing the fact that this is a problem caused by their technician, and also mentioning that my child is home sick, and asked for rushed service. Not only I did not receive even one apology word, I was harshly told to deal with it until they have people FREE to come and fix their problem, no sooner then 10 days!!!

This is outrageous. I did not ask for a new service, but only to fix their own mistake for which they charged a nice fat fee. Now my only option is to hire outside service and pay for something that SoCal Gas should handle! I am going to find other means to issue a formal complaint towards this Mr. **, who should definitely be fired or demoted from his position as a supervisor at customer service!

It does not matter how long the bill was past due or the timeframe given to pay the bill and the circumstances around. That is not the issue. The issue is with the Southern California Gas company once your account has been paid not how long they waited. Everyone in their life has come into financial hardships so to judge another based on their ability to pay is wrong. The issue is once payment has successfully been confirmed why does SoCal Gas have such a long wait time to restore service? The gas company is a necessity to a household especially with children in order to function properly.

That being said it should be priority to make sure utility customers are not going without the the three crucial necessity utilities which are electricity, water, & gas. Those three utility companies should make sure priority that their customers are not going without even if a financial hardship has taken place. Once it is corrected their job as the utility provider should be to restore service as soon as possible not drag their asses for 10 days and then connect it.

I don't understand what makes them so swamped that they cannot restored their customer's services in a timely fashion. There is no expedited service and that is a travesty. My gas was disconnected yesterday 11/10/ 2016 at 4 p.m. in the afternoon which gives little to no time to correct and restore service immediately. When I called within 5 minutes and paid bill I was told my services will not be reconnected until 11/18/2016. The fact that I have four small children under the age of 10 makes no difference whatsoever. I think that if this utility company thinks that because we don't have options to go with another one that they can treat us the way that they do and in the manner that they feel because what we going to do we can't go to their competitor.

Southern California Gas company's procrastination and absolutely horrible service for its customers is absolutely appalling after I was told my service would not be reconnected for 8 days. 20 minutes later driving to pick my kids up from school I see a gas company truck parked in the shade and The Gas Company employee was playing his cell phone. So yeah real busy. Tons to do right **!

This company has more problems than I knew they had... I'm a disabled, **, senior, living in Downey for 12 yrs now. I've had Socal Gas for at least 23 yrs now and I must admit, this is my very first negative experience and my first time ever having my service disconnected. Scheduled my reconnection for tomorrow, between 7am - 8pm, no problem. Well, I get a call and I have to cancel, no problem. Mrs. ** changes my appointment time for today, great! I actually sat here all day. Then around 2 or 3 pm, I receive a call from a lady, a rude, hyperactive lady at that! She never identified herself, she wanted to know where her tech could park.

Well, I'm a tenant myself, it's a group of apartments where I reside, it's time for people to come home from work, parking can be a challenge over here. I tell her, "I don't know, I'm not in control over parking and I'm not the mailman." The cable techs and maintenance techs get parking, so why can't the Gas Co. Well then, I suggest she allow her tech to park in front of my car in my parking space. Because I'm disabled, I agree to meet her outside to show her the space to park in. Well, I get up and go outside and I don't see anyone at first. Then, I see her 2 blocks away from the service address, she wasn't even looking for a park! She drives down to where I'm standing near my car. As I show her where the tech can park, she continues to get a bigger nasty attitude with me for some reason. I'm happy I'm getting my service restored, no attitude from me!

Well, she's just sitting there, I ask her to park here. She says to me, to have a nice day and drives off, leaves me standing there in front of my neighbors and things. I stand there for a minute to see if someone is going to return! Well no, no one returned! I feel she saw I was ** and she didn't want to help me. There was no reason for my service not to be restored, right now! It's been over a month that I haven't had hot water. I paid my bill, now do your part. This lady was prejudice and I want something done about her attitude! Now, they want to come tomorrow and I already changed my appointment day for today because I have a doctors appointment tomorrow. Can't do it, not leaving my key on nobody's porch!

The way they are stealing packages and things, they crazy when all she had to was come on in with her attitude and restore my service and go on her way. They are trying to inconvenience me because of my **. Because she was a supervisor of dispatch, she's throwing her weight around and refuses to return and restore my service. I was informed they work until they're done for the night, with all calls, but not mine. Tell me why. Now I'm ALL weekend without hot water. This is abusive and I want something done to this dispatcher. She needs some discipline, a letter in her file by her subordinate. I would like a response given to me, informing me of the steps that we're taking to take care of this racial situation.

I don't appreciate the way I was spoken to when she first called my phone. I've never been so disrespected by a company like you, ever! Thank you for accepting my complaint, but I'm not done. If I don't hear from you within a reasonable amount of time, I'll just go over your heads. So, I'll be waiting, and I thank you for listening. It means a lot to have someone to express to. I don't want to go higher or reach my legal counsel, I just want her disciplined within house and that's good enough. I appreciate you, God bless, talk soon. Bonnie **, devoted customer since 1986.

Well I've been a SoCal gas customer 8 years, I've never had any issues before today. Today however I find out my service has been shut off. I realize my scheduled auto bill pay (that I've used every month before this), didn't go through for whatever reason, and didn't pay the bill this round. I go to pay the bill (which miraculously doubled) and call to restore service. I was told that my service could be turned on sometime Nov 7th (if I wanted a half day time slot) or could be turned on Nov 4th (choosing the all day 7am-8pm "although might be later than 8pm" time slot). I asked if this was the earliest available appointment, especially considering that this "service disruption" came at no fault of my own, and I had bill pay with my debit card and bank account info registered, and this happened due to SoCal Gas's mistake.

They said this was the earliest they could do. Also to ensure I didn't leave the house at all the day they are scheduled to come out, and that there was a chance the technician may be even later so I should leave all my porch lights on, and plan to stay at my house 7am-10pm the day to reinstate service. I explained I have a 6 month old infant at home, who may need warm milk, a bath, or hear considering it's the end of Oct., and that 10 days without this is detrimental to his health and well being, and that I have no family in the state to help me where I can go shower or bath my child, feed him or otherwise. They said that the 10 days was actually a CONSIDERABLY earlier time than what they could have offered saying they have me a special earlier appointment because I have a infant at home?!

I asked what I could do, that I'd pay anything, do anything, but needed the ability to warm up his bottles and bathe him, keep him warm, and it's my son's life and wellness is on the line, and they said they couldn't do anything. Listen I understand "policy". I understand adults needing to suck it up, and tough things out. And if it were just me without these services for 10 days- no problem. However that's not the case, and to have such robotic, non-considerate humans working at a company that provides a significant public service to every resident in such a large state, it's awful. All of the nonsense is excused by the company as being understaffed, and serving thousands of customers every day.

This is where my biggest issue is. A company that I'm FORCED to participate with, because they hold a monopoly on Gas utility market, should be forced to break its monopoly, and allow a competitor to join, or meet the demand. They are so burdened with thousands of customers each day they can't satisfy customer needs? NO! They just don't care to, and highly because they know they hold a monopoly. Secondly they could chose to hire more people, pay more, modify their policies and procedures, but they don't. This is a company who recently had a huge gas leak in my neighborhood endangering hundreds of families, and not only did they fail to act then, but after this they add insult to injury and basically say "We don't care."

People need to take action, and I include myself in this. I plan to write to my local government and petition for this mismanaged, halfwit-ran, greedy, god-awful company, to adopt better customer care policies, propose common sense services, and enforce penalties for this company when they don't. There are thousands of us who write about this daily. It's time we all take action. To demand this company, the one that manipulatively forces people like us to have to use their services, overcharges and bleeds us dry, and adds insult to injury after all this, face the consequences of its actions. The best way to do that is the threat of people so fed up, they won't stop until they get respect and justice for a ethical utilities company in SoCal.

Imagine you ingested 10xs the recommended dose of laxatives, then you proceeded to hop aboard a roller coaster, all the while having a "drugs-free" root canal performed on you, with wild honey badger in your lap, and poison oak all over your body. If that sounds like your idea of fun, call SoCal Gas company some time. They are exactly just as enjoyable as the aforementioned experience.

I've lived in two major cities and dealt with number of utilities and internet companies with bad customer service. None of them, NONE of them even come close to the level of horrendous, useless "customer service" I got From Southern California Gasoline Company. They call themselves SoCal Gas so they sound cutesy when they're ruthlessly destroying the environment. But when they're not doing that, they're busy ruthlessly exploiting their hard working customers.

You have no other options and they know that so they can get away with treating you like ** and charging you ridiculous fees for services you already pay for. I paid $70+ to get my hot water turned back on and they won't turn it on. The service guy was in a rush to get out of here. Everyone I've dealt with at this company is a turd with the exception of one service rep who helped me out last her, god bless your soul. I hope this company gets shut down and all the execs rot in jail where they belong. As for the customer service rep I truly advise any and all companies to not hire ANY of these people for a service job EVER.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southern California Gas?

My husband recently became incapacitated in certain areas such as driving, speaking on the phone and other things due to an AVM. I am hearing impaired and I have to take over all of the business dealings with creditors. SoCalGas has threatened to shut off our gas ONE DAY before payday. We originally were set to pay it off completely this past Wed but my husband was rushed to the hospital with this AVM and paying SoCalGas was forgotten. I have tried to contact them to no avail. SoCalGas has NO email address by which I can communicate with them.

I have no cell, no tty and cannot hear. Therefore in order to avoid having gas shut off, which should be illegal in my husband's case, I had to overdraft on our bank account. This company has also breached agreements before, causing overdrafts by taking money out of our account ONE DAY before promised and agreed. I wish another company would replace them. One that has integrity and does not discriminate against the handicapped and disabled.

I made a mistake after moving and didn't set up auto bill pay and then had to leave town. Came back, gas was off with a notice. Quickly paid bill and set up auto bill pay. Then they tell me I can't get service back until the end of the month! I mean come on. Since they have no competitors, not sure what to call this but crony capitalism I guess. Can't switch to someone else. And they need to maximize profit so they won't hire more people of course. Not a fan of monopolies and this is one example.

Just like so many other people on this site I have received a bill that has doubled or tripled. Out of nowhere. The gas company cannot really explain why this gas hike has happened. Also I received the bill and the disconnection notice pending. I paid the pending disconnection notice on Southern California Gas site in full. It indicated that the payment was scheduled 2 to 3 days later. Well...six days later they disconnected my gas service. I call to find out what was going on and they told me it was because I paid my bill after the due date. I explained to them that I paid the bill when I received the pending disconnection notice prior to the disconnection date and their system was set up to take the money out 2-3 days days later. That is how their site is set up and out of my control but I paid on time, which has nothing to do with me making my payment on time.

The customer service representative was very rude and unprofessional. They talk like robots, they read off scripts and they're very unkind to a human situation that is taking part. They also went further and told me I needed to pay a deposit and reconnection fees even though I explained to them the bill was paid on time. I even had documentation from my bank showing when the money was requested to come out of my account which is on the day that I originally told them before the disconnection. It was like talking to a brick wall, no compassion whatsoever. I explain to them I have a sick child in the home and required my gas to be turned back on and expeditiously manner. The representative could care less.

My gas was scheduled to be turned on 7 days later which today being the first day. With a sick child, are they serious! This has to be unlawful. This Southern California Gas Company (monopoly) is a bully and they are simply outrageous and out of control. They are making the consumer pay for their mistakes and loses of Porter Ranch. Right now I am seeking to start a class action lawsuit for the this debauchery, unannounced tripling of the bill with no explanation and the unlawful disconnections with fees. Please join in...SoCal Gas has to be stopped!!!

On Wednesday the Gas Company disconnected my gas because had not pay, immediately the bill was pay with the debit and was told to call the Gas Co to have it connected. They set for connection for Tuesday 8/16/2016 meaning no gas for the apartment from 8/10/2016 total of 7 days with no hot water or able to cook for the family. I call them and stated to me this was the only day available and could not connect the gas. They are good in getting their money but not able to provide the service. Had this been a home in Bel Air, Beverly HILL OR WEST Hollywood they respond immediately but if you're a majority they practice redial profile.

We have recently moved to an apartment, so we had to have our gas turned on. The letter from the company said that in order to activate service, we had to show them 2 identities, whether in person or by fax. As we were willing to pay extra 40 bucks for Uber to go to Santa Ana with a baby to show our passports, we sent them a fax. They said it would take 5 days to see whether they have the fax. Then we got a letter that if we won't show our IDs they would cut off hot water.

We sent another fax with more scans. On July 27 if I am not mistaken it was cut off. Okay, I called an Uber, took the baby and went to Santa Ana with my and my husband's IDs. As he could not go there due to his work, I had to change the payer profile, so I made 3 calls from their office to change the profile. During the last call I was told that the earliest date the technician could come was August 8! Errr.. In more than a week! I got a bit disappointed, but okay. Besides there was a nice lady Gina who helped me a lot. So here comes August 8, we were so willing to finally get a bath! And we patiently awaited for the master to come from 8 am to 12 pm. And at 12.25 we had to leave for our classes and when we opened the door we saw a note saying "Sorry We Missed You." What?!

We have neighbors with kids. There is always some grass maintaining people with loud machines, could the person just knock 2 times or maybe CALL as it is 21 century?! It was so humiliating to get this notice and the worst part was still ahead. I called to reschedule the technician's arrival, and they said that the closest date is August 17. Are you kidding? You are providing service for a city, what on earth, you have 1 technician for thousands of people? If there was another gas company, we would immediately switch to it. The service that you provide is unacceptable and you're everywhere saying about "thanks for being our valued customer" is so pathetic and not true!

Our gas was disconnected on Friday, July 22nd and I called the same day before noon to pay the bill in full. The statement said $87.87 but when I called, they said 150 dollars plus 16 dollars of reconnection fee. I paid, expecting to go home to hot water and stove access. Today is July 25, and I am still without gas. I called to see what’s taking so long, and they informed me they will be unable to schedule a technician until August 1st. That's 10 days without access to hot water, cooking or laundry. The bill had been paid in full and was taken out of my account within minutes, but the service has not been received for 4 days now.

This is ridiculous considering we are a family of four who need gas for basic necessities such as need to shower and eat. I am waiting for upper management to contact me tomorrow so I can find out why my bill was doubled and why I won't have gas until August 1st. I am not shocked that this company has 1.5 stars for their service. I'd rate them 0 if I could.

I moved into a new place in Manhattan Beach and immediately called for service. It's a 10 day wait! No hot water, stove, etc. Ridiculous! And a very rude customer service agent, as well. Sorry to give them 1 star. They don't deserve any.

SoCal came back out because Eric called, unable to believe there was an issue, and him covering himself. The issue with the gas was that it was emitting excessive fumes not from the stove, which was minor compared to the fumes from the heater in my living space. This second guy that came actually checked the gas line. However he wanted me to sign something saying "I declined to have the heater turned on" (IT WAS TURNED OFF BY HIM BECAUSE OF THE GAS FUMES EMITTING FROM THE HEATER), without him first writing down and admitting that the gas was on the entire 4 months I have been living here and emitting gas from a leak. "I can't write that down." was his response when I asked him to write down what actually happened and his discovery on checking the gas line that a leak did exist. He ignored that in favor of saying I simply declined SoCal service.

I had my gas service disconnected. I admit I was at fault, I let the bill go and lost track of the last time I paid it. I didn't realize it was so late. It was $90 when they disconnected the gas. I paid it within a couple hours of the disconnection. SoCalGas could not reconnect the utility for one week. It was disconnected on June 13th and it will be reconnected June 20th. I was told it can take as long as 10 days to get a technician scheduled. This is ridiculous. It's been a hardship on me in a two person household. I can't imagine what a nightmare it would be for a family to wait 7 to 10 days to have their gas reconnected. SoCalGas should be able to complete orders within 48 - 72 hours. They are providing substandard service as a monopoly.

After the first time ever of overlooking briefly, and not paying my SC GAS bill I came home to disconnected gas service consequently leaving us without gas for heat, hot water or cooking. Of course I called and paid immediately. The SO CA GAS COMPANY is unethical, understaffed, and irresponsible. How dare they raise rates each month without adequate notice, demand increases and reconnect fees, shut service off without the proper knowledge and knowingly not reconnect for over 7 days. Unacceptable to leave us without heat for more than 1 day, moreover, in this case 1 week. Staff your operation adequately and give us the services we're paying for. I'm furious and this should not be happening in 2016. I can only imagine what the Porter Ranch residents went thru. So sad, and next letter to Public Utilities commission.

The Gas Company has apparently been sending bills to the wrong address. Suddenly the gas was disconnected, without notice left at the door or the meter. Someone was at home and would have paid on the spot, but their service person never rang the doorbell either. Now the only appointment they have available to reconnect service is for at least one week from today. We will have no hot water or heat for a whole week, and there is nothing we can do, as their customer service claims that there is nobody they can send earlier. This is unacceptable practice for a utility company and I wish someone in the State government forces them to have a more reasonable reconnect policy.

After reading the first few complaints, I'm wondering if anyone who posted billing and rate hike issues would like to participate in a class action lawsuit against Socal Gas. I haven't been billed for a few months so when I finally received a bill. I called to find what happened with the previous months and was told they over billed me in the past, corrected it by crediting my account stating after I pay the amount on the bill my account is current.

Two days later, I received an email with another bill for triple the amount two days after I paid the previous bill two days before. After calling Socal Gas and getting a snarky representative, I asked to be transferred to a supervisor who decided to send me copies of my account for the past 36 months with all the credits, the lapses in bills due to their billing being overwhelmed and now they're catching up on all the back bills that were undercharged.

I explained I was told after paying that initial bill I would be current and that maybe I should contact an attorney since I don't I am the only one going through this; he acknowledged that many customers have either been overcharged in the past three years or not charged at all and they're trying to correct it with their new remote reading system and their antiquated billing practices. I think they need a wake up call since they're the ones who need to be professional, accountable and not gouge us with more fees due to their incompetence and negligence... anyone interested in joining a suit, please text **.

Southern California Gas Company (SoCalGas)! I am infuriated! I just signed a lease this week. My family moves in this weekend. Earliest they can turn on gas is 3 weeks. No hot water, cooking, showers for 3 weeks! WTF! No alternatives! Can we come down to your office to shower and cook? For the love of all things!

Unfortunately I'm being made to pay for my neglecting my Gas bill. They shut it off, I paid it that day, here I sit 7 days later and no Gas. Scheduled to come out tomorrow, the 8th day between 8am & 8pm because, you know, we don't have lives, jobs and only Socal gas and their monopoly are what's important. They will be receiving demands for payment of Dr bills for myself and another family member for the serious skin and scalp conditions for not being able to shower for 8 days. If not paid I will sue.

They have my money and are failing to provide the service I've paid for. There is no way I believe they are the ONLY utility provider in existence that can't get someone out at least by the next day. Revenge, pure and simple. Side Note: you can bet your bottom dollar all our bills will triple to pay for Porter Ranch. That was the plan from the start. Let that baby leak for months so they would have valid reason to raise our bills. Don't forget Governor Moonbeam's sister is on the SoCal Gas board.

Well, it is the same complaint about the triple bill that I got and that the Gas Co. could not explain very well on why... I have been in my home 14 yrs and I have never had a hike in my bill this high ever!!! I would like to know how they read the meters and when as well as is this linked to Porter Ranch in any way?!!!

The gas company tripled bill out of nowhere. They said they were behind on their billing. Told me I haven't paid in 3 months. Such BS... I never saw a notice of any kind. Just paid my last bill and I was up to date. I have never had a bill that high the whole 20 years I've been living here. I made them change my meter too. Beware everybody... They owe money for the porter ranch screw up. This needs to be investigated. Someone help!

So I get a notice that my gas has been turned off because of a leak. I get all new gas line installed and call them to turn it back on. It takes forever to get someone on the line. When I get them on the line they tell me the person will be there sometime between 8am and 5pm. So someone comes over at 5pm, looks at it and says it will take them too long to set it up and turn it on and leave. I call and get another one to come the next day, same deal, between 8am and 5pm. They stop for 10 minutes and leave cause they have another appt. (What about me?) Really frustrated. They are great at turning off my service but terrible about getting it back on. Hate Hate Hate this company...still no gas in house.

When getting service turned on I have to wait 2 WEEKS in an apartment, with a one-year old, and a 5-year old without hot water or a way to cook anything. How dare they?!? Just because they have a monopoly doesn't mean they should be so wrong to customers. If they can't get gas turned on for 2 weeks, 2 WEEKS because their schedule is booked maybe it's time to hire some more field technicians so they can get to consumers in a timely manner. I bet if the CEO moves he will get his gas turned on the next day.

I have never had a gas account. When I started the account I was told they would do a credit check which was fine with me because I have over 720 credit score. Lo and behold I was told that due to my credit, I had to put down a deposit of $50.00. I found this to be very strange so I asked why someone with good credit would have to put down a deposit and they could not give me an answer. They said I would receive a letter stating why. The letter only said, "due to your credit rating a deposit is required." I guess a 726 credit score is too low for a 18 dollar payment a month? Laughable but I had no choice but to put the deposit down.

I was told the deposit would be returned within 12 months. It's been 14 months and still no deposit credit. I called and was told it can actually take up to 15+ months. They told me the credit department determines when I get it back and it depends on how I make my payments. Even though I paid early every single month for 14 months they are still holding my deposit. This is ridiculous. First I was scammed into putting down a deposit for no reason having no other option and now they are taking their sweet time giving it back.

We moved into our new home in Dec 2015 and we still have not received 1st bill. I've called every two weeks for the last 3 months and every single time I do the only answer I get is that they are backed up but I will get my bill in 10 days. After reading all these reviews about instant high bills I'm kind of scared getting a bill for 5 months.

** THESE **. I was in Europe with my gas completely off for 2 months on baby bonding with my new daughter. I tried to pay them online and they had locked me out of my account. Well emails back and forth to get it fixed all the way to the end of MARCH! They finally get me back in to my account and I try to make a payment and the ** page won't take my payment information and says "try again later".

So the next day I come home from work gonna try again and guess what...THEY CUT OFF MY GAS and miraculously they took my billing info and everything worked fine. But then again they charged me another $16 to reconnect for totally $146 dollars over a period of time all my gas and utilities were not even cut on! I hate monopolies! This GAS ** is one of those. And when I insisted they get it done cause I have an 8 month old they told me it would be 2 days! ARE YOU SERIOUS?

I have the emails I've sent, received, the lack of help I've had and also how rude the stupid customer service lady was! Emails dating all the way back to DEC 9th of me complaining that I could not make a payment and was locked out all the way till now. And I think this is ridiculous and no one called me to help. No real responses until I got to exploding on them...complete **! I ** HATE THEM!

They have been over billing for the past few months. I have never been billed as high as I have been the past couple of months. I called and disputed the bill. They tried to say that 1. It was an "estimate" and 2. We had record cold temps this year. My first question is HOW can they bill us base on an estimate? And we are in southern California - record cold temps? Really? I think we've had more hot temps this winter than cold. I have barely used my heater. Maybe a few times in December. Not enough to double and triple my bill. I live in a small apartment. There is no way our bills should be doubling and tripling. I want to know why the gas company is getting away with this? I think there should be an investigation into their practices as this seems illegal. Where are our representatives when we actually need them? This is total BS!

Trying to get anyone at SoCal to explain why Nov 2015 est bill was almost triple usual. Only have hot water heater and on-demand heat\air. Nobody in house 10/30-12/8. Water heater on vacation mode (only pilot on). No hot water on return had to replace thermal coupler. So basically no gas use... Then 12/21 actual read 11 therms. 12/21 til next actual read 2/24 65 days 112" therms... Billed 1/21. 56 therms est... Then 2/24 bill 101 therms actual read... My math 112 (2 months between actual reads) Theirs 157. Huh... I let them install new meter 1/15. Silly me... Also on 1/30 big storm cracked 8'x8' skylight saw no reason to use heat or air til replaced 3/8. Feeling like a hostage... Is there anybody helping the consumer?

So Cal Gas' motto is the new norm for irrational representatives, policies and unfair practices for a utility company. They talk to you like they're robots, unyielding with real life circumstances. Not only that, their outrageous winter bills, claiming I went 'over' a usage amount to justify their charges. I was never aware that there was a limit to the amount of gas that I can use. I have so many issues and complaints for this company now that it's almost really too much to organize into one paragraph complaint.

For example, we put me on a payment arrangement for the high winter bill. I told the rep that I get paid on a Friday so that I cannot start the arrangement on a Wednesday. She didn't care and was unwilling to start the agreement at a term that I can actually start. She insisted that I start paying on a Wednesday. I agreed to it anyways (no choice) and to move forward and told her that I will make my payment on Friday when I get paid. That is the only way. I made my payment through Chase Bill Pay thinking that's the easiest way... Chase took more than a day to process it and the So Cal Gas co shut off my gas. Just like that.

Now instead of being called So Cal Gas, I propose they should change their name to something less representing of So Cal. I'm a So Cal native and appalled at their new practices of being so inflexible and un-American in their policies. Also, I'm telling them I'm in agreement to their pay plan and made the first payment but what happened and they are telling me that I didn't pay through their 'bill matrix' like they are claiming that I said (on the recorded line they claim). So who really remembers what they say on how they're going to pay a bill? We have so much new technology and options. Whatever is fast and easy is the way to go. If I said I was going to pay on bill matrix and paid with Chase Bill Pay, I didn't know that there were going to be such HARSH penalties for my personal choices.

Now I am now being penalized with no gas & they want a deposit and reconnect fee on top of my current payment arrangement!! I'm telling them I'm a California native, been paying my gas bill for twenty years, have never been shut off ever and I am in compliance with their payment arrangement. Honestly I didn't know that paying with Chase Bill Pay versus their matrix bill pay was such a huge difference to have my gas shut off! Then on top of it all they tell me that after I meet their 'new' payment arrangement which involves these additional new fees now... that they can't guarantee or say WHEN they will turn the gas on.

I explained that I had just bought groceries... now my food that can't be cooked is going to go bad and today alone I was forced to go out to buy food and that I am incurring way more additional expenses now for what?? So Cal gas is very un-Californian and un-American of an company, unyielding, unreasonable, irrational, inconsiderate and from the other reviews that I've read, inhumane to families, children and elderly, literally incurring more expenses on their consumers... and it's not like I ever complained or denied them payment. I never complained about the new high bills, I just made inquiries and just like most people... I needed more time to pay & the arrangement was to pay it all within 30 days so it's not like I was getting something way extra as far as time in paying for it.

Why is my gas shut off??? Why am I being charged more? I understand the surface answers they are giving but being as they are a utilities company, they have more of a responsibility to our citizens than say, a credit card company, and in being that they are So Cal Gas, as a state-named company they have more of a responsibility to their consumers than say a revolving creditor.

We now know that our weather systems are unpredictable and getting worse. As a California native I can see the changes and we all know them nationwide. Are they doing the same practices in New York? Cutting off people utilities right after winter? Bringing it back to California, this was one of the coldest winters on record for some time, colder than New York certain weeks in the winter months, and we are being charged new mystery charges. Now we're being harshly and severely penalized by shutting off our utility services. Who's going to stand up for our rights? Why am I being strong-armed to pay when I was already in agreement to pay? This is borderline harassment.

Ok. Live in this apt for 10 years and in January 2016 my gas was more than double. Never have I paid this much even when I had 3 people living in the house. I live alone and no changes. Something isn't right. Feb bill just came in and it's within normal range. Tried to look at weather condition for our area and nothing out the normal range for January. There was 5 days added to billing cycle but that wouldn't account for double the bill. Tried to call them, they blamed weather and higher rate (1.00) dollar! And 35 day billing cycle. I did the math - my bill should have 35.64 not 53.90 and can you believe they didn't read the meter that month - it was AN ESTIMATE. I request an audit of SoCalGas.

Southern California Gas Company Profile