2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

California

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.13/5

SoCalGas Reviews

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

This is absolutely impossible to bear with the SoCalGas service attitude to the Customers! Together with my wife we've started smelling a notorious looming gas odor in our apartment in Hawthorne about 8 PM (Sunday Dec 30, 2019 night) which made us very concerned of course and I reported to the property manager to come. Once manager showed up, she confirmed that the slight smell of natural gas is present and offered to give a call to the SCG. Especially that was found appropriated because we've already called them in the same issue, for that time the leakage was found at an adjacent to ours apartment. But this time the waiting has turned into a mere nightmare (literally because it was night).

A precious Sunday time of rest before starting a hard working week was totally ruined. For SoCalGas service technicians simple refused to showed up any time soon until 12 AM so we waited 4 hours more since the call and then I've gave them another call just to postpone their visit for the Monday morning/day time. The operating lady on duty declined this request explaining that their policy is barring them from postpone any already active order and informed me the servicemen are on their very short way to us, literally in 30 minutes to us. When I am writing this it's already 1:30 AM and I am forced to stay vigilant and still there is no sign of nobody's coming helping us thus far. What if our apartment or any of peacefully sleeping neighbors around are merely endangered with a sudden gas burst? What a shame! SoCalGas is endangering people's lives.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I made the mistake of paying online, where I was tricked into getting paperless statements. No bill was sent to my mailbox, until the day after they cut off my gas. When they do that, they charge another $91 -- $16 to turn gas back on, and $75 deposit -- on top of your previous bill. On top of that, they want me to stay home from work for an entire day, so they can send a technician to turn on the gas. No thanks. I'll just go without for a while. Wish there was another option besides these jerks who obviously do not care about their customers.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Not only their phone personnel was rude but even the person who came out to diagnose the gas leak was extremely rude. I surmise they act this way because there are no other gas companies that we can turn to. This is a monopoly and we have to deal with their uncaring service.

Original review: July 31, 2019

They need to train the contact center reps better. Customers are calling to resolve an issue and that should be your focus. She kept trying to tell me what the rules were and what the field reps are NOT required to do. Her field rep pulled out my washer dryer to turn off the valve and so now they have to pull it out again to turn it on. She says they are not required to do so and I should have someone else come in and turn it on. In speaking to the field reps, in order for them to do their jobs, they have to do what the contact center says they are not required to do. Regardless, none of that resolved my issue and she was so rude and demeaning.

To make it worse, when I spoke to the supervisor, she said she the rep was correct and that she was stating the facts. She offered to contact the field supervisor which could take 3-4 days! Again, not a solution! I am to have NO GAS for days because you have a rule that even your own reps don't follow? The call center really needs to be better trained to be customer focused - while it's good to know what your rules are, we are looking for you to be partners to solve our problems given you are typically the last resort. Maddening.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

SoCal gas took upon themselves to send us and many of our neighbors notices declaring our gas usage is in the order of 70 to 95% more than similar homes. The bill is now quadrupled from our average $70 a month to $249. Our gas use has not changed, our gas heater is only used overnight just as always. This is a blatant abuse of their monopoly system. Class action suit should be filed against the company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SoCalGas?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Customer service is no help at all!!! They could care less about their customers! The person I spoke to was rude and just there for a paycheck!!! My service was disconnected With no notice even though I had a payment extension, So per customer service since I made the extension through their automated service they wouldn't honor it.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I don’t like to complain but I called SoCalGas to set up service. After waiting on hold for 12 minutes I was connected to set up service and the lady “Ms **” was so rude an not helpful. She had an attitude and hung up on me. I was not happy with her customer service skills.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I spoke with two customer service reps at SoCalGas and received different information, was basically lied to, and spoke to a woman who was so rude that she was basically calling me name on the phone. I set up my account online and then called the company with a few questions. I was told that if I set up auto-payments then the security deposit would be waived. SoCalGas does NOT do this, according to their website or the second customer service rep.

The first woman said you simply had to call in and ask then they can do it. The second woman basically called me a lying ** today at about 10:15AM when I explained this. She was very insisted that I did not call in and was not told this information and that no one in their company would say that because it is wrong. No matter what I said, she just kept saying "you're wrong" and trying to call me names before I stopped her. If I could just change gas companies, I would. AWFUL!! Give customers an option and they will RUN away from SoCal Gas. I have zero other options and a lot in my home runs on gas so I'm totally stuck with a company that calls its customers names and liars and do not listen but instead interrupt them and talk over them.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Every since we've opted out of the "Advanced Meters", we've had problems with the field techs. They sometimes come to our gate and just look around to see if anyone's looking at them and then write something on a piece of paper and leave. They don't bother to come in and actually read the meter and by doing so it causes our bill to be incorrectly billed. Some of the field techs that I've confronted play dumb and make up stories on why they don't have the key for the lock. The locks that we use on the meter reading days were issued to us by SoCalGas and the keys are accessible to every field tech.

I've called SoCalGas and explained the problem to them but nothing happens. The only response that we got was a call from a rep, which we thought was from the Meter Dept. He didn't care about our complaints and only wanted to know why we didn't want to install the "Advanced Meter". Later, I found out that he wasn't from the Meter Dept but instead he was from the Sales Dept.

In my opinion, this leads me to believe that the Meter Dept is working with the Sales Dept in order to harass us for opting out of the "Advanced Meter". I guess they hope that we'll get tired and install it but we won't. This type of marketing tactic is very shady and should be investigated by law enforcement, the district attorney, and CPUC (California Public Utilities Commission) because it's not legal.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

This company, SoCalGas, was quick to cut our gas off. The balance of the bill wasn't high only about $70. How the tech got into our building I don't know, they came in asking us for money please finally demanding that we give them the balance. I said if we had it we would already pay it off. Then they cut the gas off. We were able to pay the bill a week later, we also paid for service to be cut back on. It's been over a month and we have no gas, unable to cook. We've been eating out everyday since.

We have made 4 rescheduled calls. I was off work and home when they said no one was home. They only stick around for 5 minutes according to their notice. How can we make an official complaint and they actually get into trouble? Now seeing that others have the same or worst experience. They don't feel they have to have good consumer service because they monopolize the area. Competition would change their tune. This should be illegal... Thanksgiving wasn't done at our place because of it. now it looks like Christmas might be gas-less also. They have made no real attempts to turn gas back on and they have our money.

Not sure about SoCalGas?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Utility Companies for you.

SoCalGas Company Information