California

2.5/5 (501 ratings)

About SoCalGas

SoCalGas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SoCalGas?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SoCalGas?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

I recently moved. I went online to transfer my service. It went through then today they cut off my gas. I called and they said they couldn’t come out until Monday to turn it back on. I explained it never should of been turned off to begin with. They won’t consider it as an emergency even though it’s freezing and I have a baby. So I have to go four days without any heat or hot water. Horrible service.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2021

Updated on 11/23/2021: This complaint is a follow-on from my complaint of November 22, 2021. The appointment was rescheduled for today the 23rd sometime between early AM until 8:00 PM the same day, which means I cannot leave the house for fear of not being here when the technician arrives. Today he arrived at 4:35. He said he had to see the notice that the house was clear. I told him that the fumigation co. must have taken it with him because there was nothing here. I was told that without that notice, he couldn't do anything. I even contacted the fumigation company and he talked directly with them.

They were supposed to send him a copy to his email. After waiting for a few minutes he told me that he was only allowed to wait for five minutes and then he had to go to his next appointment. I finally told him to leave because he couldn't do anything else for me today. This all goes back to the lousy employee that showed up the first time on Saturday the 20th. He wouldn't ring the door bell after hearing someone in the house. He knew we were home but wouldn't try to get our attention by ringing the door bell. He just left. Maybe he took the notice with him. I didn't find the notice he hung on the door saying "SORRY WE MISSED YOU" before he left.

Now if I get a copy of the notice tonight, I can call to make another appointment for tomorrow. If I don't get the notice until tomorrow morning, I can call but, I won't get an appointment until the following day. The 24th. Why do you think we have door bells to ring. What a lousy situation. What a lousy company!!!!

Wayne

100% Disabled Navy Combat Veteran of 34 years active duty service.

Original review: I had my house fumigated. The gas was turned off and was supposed to be turned back on on Saturday the 20th of November 2021. According to the person on the phone when I called on Sunday morning to find out why the gas was not turned on Saturday, she said that the technician was there at 3:36 PM. Her notes said that he knocked on the door and nobody came. The note said that he could hear someone in the house but nobody came to the door. I asked why he didn't ring the door bell? My wife (80) years old and I (82) yrs old both wear hearing aids and couldn't hear the knock. But he left without attempting to talk to the person he heard in the house.

I asked if she could send him out on Sunday and she responded that she could not. It would have to be on Monday, sometime early Monday morning and 8:00 PM. That means another day without hot water and no heat, no shower and wrapped in blankets and wait. Someone in upper management needs to talk with someone in their "CUSTOMER NON-SERVICE " department and shake that nonresponsive organization up and start with firing a couple of those ladies that are supposed to act as ambassadors for the company. One of which has the disposition of a "sex starved cobra". I wouldn't ever want to talk with her again for any reason.

Wayne

100 % Disabled 34 year Navy Veteran

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

SoCal gas is fair in price. They also notify clients on usage comparison so they can make usage adjustments to save. I also appreciate their notifications on third party coverages for gas lines so that clients know what additional charges may affect them.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

So Cal Gas company has good service, but their home energy conservation program did nothing for me. They just wasted my time. I tried to tell them that the water heater had problems, but they didn't listen, so I had to call a real professional. Also, the rates have gone up too much.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

Renting a house with adult kids with minimum jobs and going to college. I have a full time job and the Electric bill is well over 1,000.00 and yes there is a pool there but is turn off and the bill is still over 1,000 and we do all washing and running the dishwasher after 9 pm. I just don’t know the rent is high. I been on my job for 25 years. I just don’t how I will ever pay this off.

Original review: March 14, 2020

Absolutely the worst customer service ever. Years of mistakes by So Cal Gas to make a simple name correction on my account, that still isn’t corrected. And now a new problem, I was recently double charged for my monthly payment. I called so cal gas and they did see the double charge. I was then promised either a credit to my so cal gas account or credit to my bank account for $98.16, the amount of the overcharge. They said I should receive the credit in 3-5 business days. A few weeks later and no credit, so I called so cal gas again. This time they told me they mailed me a check for $98.16. However, they made the check payable to my father who died in 2001. I have no idea why the check was issued in his name since the overcharge clearly came out of my bank account.

The person on the phone asked if it was that the check was issued to the wrong person. Seriously??? I told them I’d need the check in my name. So now I have to wait for them to mail me a form to fill out, have a witness sign it, and send them a death certificate for my father!!!! I then talked to a supervisor. A Ms. **. Completely unwilling to correct their mistake. This is my money, from my account. Now they’re holding that money hostage until I fill out ridiculous and unnecessary paperwork for their mistake. Unbelievable.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

This is absolutely impossible to bear with the SoCalGas service attitude to the Customers! Together with my wife we've started smelling a notorious looming gas odor in our apartment in Hawthorne about 8 PM (Sunday Dec 30, 2019 night) which made us very concerned of course and I reported to the property manager to come. Once manager showed up, she confirmed that the slight smell of natural gas is present and offered to give a call to the SCG. Especially that was found appropriated because we've already called them in the same issue, for that time the leakage was found at an adjacent to ours apartment. But this time the waiting has turned into a mere nightmare (literally because it was night).

A precious Sunday time of rest before starting a hard working week was totally ruined. For SoCalGas service technicians simple refused to showed up any time soon until 12 AM so we waited 4 hours more since the call and then I've gave them another call just to postpone their visit for the Monday morning/day time. The operating lady on duty declined this request explaining that their policy is barring them from postpone any already active order and informed me the servicemen are on their very short way to us, literally in 30 minutes to us. When I am writing this it's already 1:30 AM and I am forced to stay vigilant and still there is no sign of nobody's coming helping us thus far. What if our apartment or any of peacefully sleeping neighbors around are merely endangered with a sudden gas burst? What a shame! SoCalGas is endangering people's lives.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I made the mistake of paying online, where I was tricked into getting paperless statements. No bill was sent to my mailbox, until the day after they cut off my gas. When they do that, they charge another $91 -- $16 to turn gas back on, and $75 deposit -- on top of your previous bill. On top of that, they want me to stay home from work for an entire day, so they can send a technician to turn on the gas. No thanks. I'll just go without for a while. Wish there was another option besides these jerks who obviously do not care about their customers.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Not only their phone personnel was rude but even the person who came out to diagnose the gas leak was extremely rude. I surmise they act this way because there are no other gas companies that we can turn to. This is a monopoly and we have to deal with their uncaring service.

Original review: July 31, 2019

They need to train the contact center reps better. Customers are calling to resolve an issue and that should be your focus. She kept trying to tell me what the rules were and what the field reps are NOT required to do. Her field rep pulled out my washer dryer to turn off the valve and so now they have to pull it out again to turn it on. She says they are not required to do so and I should have someone else come in and turn it on. In speaking to the field reps, in order for them to do their jobs, they have to do what the contact center says they are not required to do. Regardless, none of that resolved my issue and she was so rude and demeaning.

To make it worse, when I spoke to the supervisor, she said she the rep was correct and that she was stating the facts. She offered to contact the field supervisor which could take 3-4 days! Again, not a solution! I am to have NO GAS for days because you have a rule that even your own reps don't follow? The call center really needs to be better trained to be customer focused - while it's good to know what your rules are, we are looking for you to be partners to solve our problems given you are typically the last resort. Maddening.

SoCalGas Company Information