1.14/5
Based on 241 reviews that contain star ratings

Need a utility company?

California

260 SoCalGas Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

To the gas company. Employee came to my house. I don't know exactly what time, no one was home and he jump a lock gate to shut the gas off. I think this is very scary. I call the office. I paid $115.00 and I ask if it was fine to jump the close gate, they, "Yes because we need to reach our equipment". I told him, "Now I understand why we getting robbed with impersonates from your company." He also ask me to leave my key somewhere so they can get in to turn the service back on.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Apparently the company has a way to track their inspectors so they do not wait for a resident for longer than 5 minutes but they have no way of notifying customers that a technician is 10 minutes away. We have been without gas for 13 days because of a technicality in setting up our account (my husband did not go down to the office with two forms of ID so they turned off our gas). Today I missed the tech by 5 minutes because I was dropping kids at camp and they cannot send him back. In NY they cannot legally turn your gas off. If there was ANY alternative company I would take it. Welcome to California. If it was an option I would give no stars. Zero.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 9, 2018

After we moved into our apartment we called SoCalGas and they claimed our apartment address was not on their customer list and that they wouldn't come out. Well 3 months later(now) and our gas is shut off. We called SoCalGas 4 days ago to come out and turn it back on and to start an account, the earliest they could come out was today 7am-7pm show up time??? We live in a split house and our apartment is on the second level and you have to go up outside stairs through a door to a hallway where our door is. Very simple stuff.

The guy shows up at 10:25 am, we hear his knocks on the outside door, my boyfriend puts on shoes and goes to answer the door. This took maybe 30 seconds?! This guy was in his truck leaving while Chris was yelling "hello!!" And trying to get his attention. The guy must have ran back to his truck with how fast he knocked and immediately bailed. So the guy takes off. We are livid at this point. 4 days without hot water or being able to cook. So we call customer service and tell the lady what just happened and wanting to file a complaint cause it was so ridiculous and they are making us wait another 4 days to come out again FOR THEIR MULTIPLE ** and want us to pay 75 dollars to get gas turned on, another charge for coming out again and charge us 3 months of gas when they told us we weren't listed to begin with!!!

Original review: May 25, 2018

I just received a $144 gas bill. A gas bill that is usually between $24 and $50. How can my bill suddenly be almost 5 times the usual amount??? I haven't changed anything by way of how I use the gas (heat, water, etc). This is ridiculous.

Original review: May 17, 2018

There has to be a way to ban this monopoly and revoke them from operating. Run by unsympathetic people. Rude. Traveling and didn't pay our bill. They just came over and dropped a notice which wasn't home- as if I was - would have paid. Then turned off our gas. Next appt to turn it back on- 15 days!!! WHO DOES THIS??? Luckily begged and got someone to come sooner but how is this legal??? How do you turn the stove to feed people? Take a shower? When I asked the supervisor she said, "Yeah this is an inconvenience." Making lives more hard than they are when short on finances? I wish she could be in our shoes of the numerous complaints and feel that people are trying to pay their bill. It's not like they don't want to! This is complete ** as even LADWP doesn't do this crap. I was at the LADWP office and another woman couldn't pay her bill through social security and they set up a payment plan.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SoCalGas?

Original review: April 27, 2018

WHY do they need to charge me a deposit to start my service? I have PERFECT CREDIT. And I KNOW they won't return it. I've been through this before with them. They do NOT RETURN DEPOSITS. What a HORRIBLE company. Let's face it...we live in a third world country now, when companies like this run amok. I HATE this company.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I registered online, scheduled a payment, then attempted to view the pending payment. The login information was saved by phone as requested yet SoCalGas.com did not recognize my username, password, or both. I had created the account not 5 minutes before. Thought "it must need 24-48 hours to process." Tried again two days later same result. Called "customer service" (a joke) and was told I could reset my account information. I said put me back on paper billing. Obviously as trustworthy as Jerry Brown at SoCalGas. A monopoly, so no recourse. Thanks Democrats.

Original review: April 16, 2018

This is absolutely the worst company to get involved with! Unless you're like me and don't have any choice but to use them. They shut my gas off because of a clarification issue on their end, and once I cleared it up they proceeded to tell me I had to wait one week to get it back on because they had no open appointments. Are you kidding me? Do you know how embarrassing it is to ask people if I can shower and get ready at their house because I have no hot water. What a piece of crap company that they put helpless families in a position like this. They absolutely do not care one bit about their customers.

Original review: April 5, 2018

The gas company turned off our gas as we had a leak. We spent $12,000 to have it quickly fixed. We then contacted the gas company to have the gas turned on. They, of course, have no urgency to assist us. After waiting 45 minutes to speak with a human we were told it would be some time today. We have waited 8 hours. No one has showed up. We called again. To quote, “we are on the list but they can not give us any time of when a representative will be there.” How stupid is this. No private company could operate like this. We are 70 years old sitting in a cold house with no heat. We have been here all day. There is no accountability and we have no recourse.

Original review: March 22, 2018

So my service was shut off since October and they continued billing me when I called to complain. They simply said my bill was shut off due to gas leak when originally I was told it was due to non payment of 2 years which I know was a lie cause in order to start service we were forced to pay the prior bill. The tech hit my poor whizzing with a large black bar. Also removed lock chain off my fence illegally went into the premises even though front door was open. I’ve been given the runaround about my bill and hung up on when you’re not telling them what they want to hear. I have no gas because they now decided to refuse services until paid infiltrate. I have gas for over 7 years. Never has a issue like this with SoCal instead of taking responsibility they messed up in billing nor me.

Original review: March 8, 2018

Four days ago, we moved into our new home. Yesterday, the gas was turned off. I called SoCalGas and they stated that they had left a note on our door, and had sent us several warning mailings. Absolutely untrue, we had not received anything. They claim the earliest they can get a truck out to turn our gas back on is two weeks. I have children. The temperatures have been sub-zero. They will not be able to bathe before school, and we will not be able to cook for them. This is an outrageous and injurious abuse of monopoly power. I don't know what we can do except move in with friends until our gas is turned on.

Original review: March 2, 2018

They go out of their way to be helpful. Send mailers detailing how to conserve energy and offer complimentary services, like lighting/extinguishing pilots.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I changed my automatic payment plan on Jan 12 to pay one day before the due date on my bill which would have been 2/1/2018 (due date is 2/2/2018). However, the Gas Company processed my payment on 1/29/2018. This date would have been my payment date before I revised my automatic payment plan. My autopay was previously arranged for four days before the due date.

I revised the autopay plan nearly three weeks before the bill was due. Called the Gas Company and was told when you revise your autopay it will not be effective until the following month which would be the future payment on 3/1/2018. Absolutely nowhere on the website or when you make the revision or in their terms and conditions does it say anything about the revision applying to the following month's bill. Because they processed it on 1/29 my bank charged me $30 because my checking account was 55 cents short.

Something I would have taken care of in advance had I known the revised autopay would have not applied to this payment. I have auto-deposit on my checking account and funds were scheduled for deposit on 2/1/2018. These funds would have been more than sufficient to cover the bill. The Gas Company rep said this is their policy, but come on. It would be really nice if they let you know that information somewhere, anywhere on their website or when you make the revision. It was also nowhere in the confirmation email I received from them after making the revision.

The solution offered by the rep was they would submit my complaint to their suggestion box so the policy could be added to the website. Really? A suggestion box? If they do not properly advise their customers of the policies regarding autopay revisions, they should be responsible for any fees incurred by their customers. They completely failed to disclose their policy anywhere and I believe that should make them responsible for correcting the fee I was charged. Perhaps if I had some psychic ability I would have known their "secret" policy, but alas I am a mere mortal.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I contacted SoCalGas 3 months ago to have meter moved. After repeated phone calls - 5 to be exact, I finally got someone to come out and look at the job. Then after the supervisor lost our paperwork 2 times but cashed our check immediately, 1 month later scheduled to come out. On day of appointment, no call, no show. This monopoly needs to end! SoCalGas might actually be worse than Edison, it's close though.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I just bought a new home. Called to have the gas turned on and was told there is a 3 week wait time. Absolutely unacceptable. My wife and kids are expected to take cold showers, can't cook, can't heat the home. And we are stuck only having one company to go to. And it's 3 weeks?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

My husband and I are moving into a new apartment on 12/15 and we cannot get our gas turned on until Jan 4th, 2018. That is 3 weeks from when opened our account. The new place has a gas stove, heater and water heater. It is beginning of winter and we will have no heat. We will have to spend money to eat out every meal as we cannot cook. We also have a baby and have no heat or hot water for baths or formula for 3 weeks! This is unacceptable.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

This has to be one of the most dishonest companies when it comes to Utilities. We have no other choice but to purchase gas from them and they fully are aware of this. My bill is consistently wrong and I have been regularly overcharged. I brought this up to the CPUC and it was corrected for a while... Now I am back to being ripped off and the fight has started all over again. WHAT A JOKE! Illegally charging me for services not rendered. Keep an eye on your meter because they WILL steal from you if you let them.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

After waiting months for a gas line repair that killed trees in our front yard they worked for days and when they finished we have no gas in our home. I can't get anyone on the phone to help. We have no heat, no hot water etc. I have been on hold for 1 hour at a time and then transferred and wait another hour and still have not reached anyone. Not sure what to do. They have a serious responsibility, and cannot deal with it. Whomever is in charge should be replaced fast.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

The company has the only time frame from 7:00 AM to indefinite time. One becomes a "prisoner of SoCal" having to stay home without the ability to leave it. My service was scheduled for 10/30/2017, I had to step out for a few minutes to my next door neighbor, leaving a note on the door where I was with the unit # and phone, but the serviceman just reported "nobody home" and left. Needed to re-schedule for 10/31/2017. My wife waited the whole day and the serviceman came about 9:00 PM. This is not acceptable. I filed a complaint here: https://appsssl.cpuc.ca.gov/cpucapplication/. There is also a phone to call: 1-800-649-7570 Public Commission. Need to complain. Need to split this Monopoly!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

The worst utility company in the world. Jesus, you have to wait WEEKS for the gas to be turned on. So what am I supposed to do in the meantime - heat up water in the microwave to use as a shower??? Then they have the nerve to charge you $25.00 to "turn on" the gas, which should be waived because of such a long wait. They have no competition and they take horrible advantage of the consumer. I just hate this company.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I wouldn't even give 1 star, if that was an option. We neglected to pay our bill due to unfortunate circumstances, so reasonably our service was shut off. Took us a 2-week pay period to pay the balance in full, in order to be reconnected. Called to do so, was told I would have to wait yet another week! That's 3 weeks of no cooking, cold hose-down for my 2 young school aged kids, no dryer, etc. I was told their schedule was full and a week out was the soonest. My anger got the best of me, and my sailor mouth was used (I'm not even that sorry, to be honest).

I hung up on the robotic heartless representative and called back. Asked for a phone number to call and file a complaint. The representative transferred me to a supervisor who magically was able to get an all-day service call scheduled for 4 days out. Better than waiting an entire 7 day week, but still absolutely ridiculous that I had to threaten a complaint to get my gas back on. I even asked if I could start service under my husband's name, if that would be sooner. Nope. I was told that that would take even longer. Sad part is, we don't have anyone else to utilize for this service. SoCal Gas is the only company that we are forced to utilize.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Several times we have had to have SoCalGas come to our home to repair gas lines and turn gas back on. In addition to the long wait times, we are talking days. Even for broken gas lines! When they do show up, they leave notes on our door saying they tried to work but were unable to because we were not home! They have done this on four occasions. Each time we were home and they simply refused to knock and ring the doorbell. We looked back on our security cameras to prove this was the case. We are beginning to see a (lazy) trend. When we call customer service and the management, it is apparent that the laissez faire attitude of this company comes from the top down. Unfortunately we have no other option but to use their services. I wish we had other choices.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

No gas service for 14+ days for a new SoCal customer?! - I am a Seattle native so being a gas customer to use my stove or get hot water is new to me. SoCalGas did not activate my service today and when I called I was told I didn't apply correctly and went on a list of application questions to set up service. (I did this online. They just couldn't see it on their end). I moved in today and at 8 pm went to bathe my 1 and 2 year olds. Only it was freezing cold water. I called SoCalGas and was angrily told that I made the mistake, it wasn't their error. My appointment was lost but I can stay home 7 am-5 pm and wait for a guy to start service but not today or tomorrow... No, they refused me services before Friday the 29th. Someone please explain how I am to bathe my babies in cold water for a week straight AND I can't use the stove to heat meals or a pot of water for a "lukewarm" bath because it's all gas too!

I explained my family situation and my daughter's medical conditions and that a cold bath is going to land her in the hospital and she says "I do not care, that's the soonest". I am a BRAND NEW CUSTOMER and I do NOT want to use this company but have zero alternatives as they have a monopoly on gas service in all of LA Co! As a paralegal I KNOW that CA landlord tenant laws are written so landlords cannot deny these basic utility entitlements to customers for no more than 3 days without facing penalties, lawsuits or being held personally and financially liable for damages suffered by and to the customers affected that go without freaking hot water for a week!

As a new customer I would never ever use this company after the way they dismissed my concerns and my pleas begging for them to at human I have babies in freezing water and milk I cannot warm on my gas stove because "the laws do not apply to them and will not be held reasonable for my 'problems'". I can't have children without the ability to properly bathe and feed them. SoCalGas was dismissive, arrogant and threatening while they had me pinned to the wall with no other options. They are SHAMEFUL and horrible! If given a choice I'd never get gas anything ever.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

My service was cut off due to a late payment. They had placed me on paperless payment, which is automatic when you pay online for first service. Although I had no idea at the time. I'm a truck driver and I'm gone for weeks at a time. So I came home to no hot water, no gas stove, no dryer. I made my payment online while out of town but it was still late. I called to make a payment and fix the paperless statement so I would receive a monthly statement.

Customer service was rude blamed me and said I had to call a contractor to make the payment then call back with a confirmation number which I did. Then was told the soonest they would come out to restore my gas would be 11 days. Clearly they had rushed out to turn it off in just a few days, but would not reconnect for 11 days. It cost $160.00 dollars to reconnect. I had already paid the past due amount. I'm done with rude poor customer service from this utility and other like them. I retire in a few years and will live completely off the grid. Sempra Energy the parent companies spends millions to lobby Congress to eliminate competition. I'm done with these corporate pirates that rob us blind and treat us with such disregard.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

This was the first time I was shut off for nonpayment - yes my fault but sometimes life just gets you. I paid the full amount due same day as shut off including the deposit and reconnection fee. Called immediately to schedule a reconnect to find out it was not going to happen for 8 days. I told them I have little kids and no one cares. I even asked for a supervisor and explained and accepted responsibility for my actions and like the other reviews it was like a robotic response - "Sorry our schedule is what it is..." I understand a day or two at most but 8 days is completely unacceptable and we as consumers have no recourse.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I read all previous reviews and I do sympathize with you all, I am having even worse experiences with SoCalGas. We the consumers are all in the same boat with regards to SoCalGas. However, I put the blame on elected officials of Los Angeles county, the cities and even the state. The elected officials have a responsibility towards their constituents, they are the ones who signed contracts with this type of utility companies which allowed these companies to abuse the consumer/resident.

I think each one of you should call on your elected state officials, county supervisor, city council and mayor office and demand that they address poor service provided by SoCalGas, in addition free market requires the presence of competitors, municipalities should have the ability to choose from more than one company, unless it is a utility company owned by the municipality itself.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

First off, they don't even deserve one star. My gas was disconnected due to non payment (my bad). By saying that I have never receive bills, I understand it is my responsibility. However they came last Thursday with a disconnection notice (the bill was $843 since March, that's $168 a month for 5 month. I don't have a pool or a heater. What the hell can I spend 168 a month on. Even if I cook and shower 24/7 it won't come up to that amount. Insane right?).

So I contacted them to ask how they read the meters since I have a 10 feet walls, their answer was: "If we can't read the meters, we estimate by the previous bill". REALLY. How funny they never estimated the credits, that they supposed to give me but they sure enough can estimate my bills. Only if there was another company for gas around... O and the employees... o jeeessseee, they need to go to being a human being classes. They suck. SoCalGas... horrible horrible horrible. P.S To everyone out there. Check your bills, I just found out after living in my present house under the same name I was charged $150 deposit fee added to the bill and by the way non refundable.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

It is beyond shameful that utility companies like this, that have a monopoly on the business in a particular area are allowed to simply run rampant and complete abuse and take advantage of their consumers like SoCalGas Company does. After having my gas disconnected for non-payment (completely my fault and an oversight on my part) I attempted to get my gas restored because, as like most people, I need it to eat, cook and feed my family, I was given a ridiculous list of rules and expectations in order for them to restore service.

Of course, they did not need to enter my home to disconnect the service, but they must have access to turn it back on. The next closest 4-hour appointment window was 15 days away! 15 DAYS!!. Remember, I need gas to cook and eat!!! But wait!! Said the completely clueless and rude "customer service" agent Cynthia. "We can do a full day appointment in just 3 days, but you will have to be home and available from 7am to 5pm!" Needless to say there were many other asinine requirements and options, the management office can assist access to the apartment, or I can "hide a key". blaa blaa blaa. Fine, I scheduled it with help of my management office but decided to call back and verify all the details because their agents are just as untrustworthy as they are as a company.

The next agent completely refused to share with me any of the details of the previous appointment setting conversation I had had, but would "only verify" what I shared with her first! I confirmed all the details, but ultimately decided through our back and forth that they couldn't be trusted to actually accomplish the coordination with my apartment office and that they would likely just not hold up their end and find a reason to cancel, so I decided that I will have to stay home from work instead on a Friday to wait for a serviceman sometime between the hours of 7am and 5pm... but wait!!! No, it's actually 7am to ANYTIME THEY SEE FIT!!!

The rules actually state apparently that they only require the 8hr window to schedule a time when no one is available and they are simply using a key to enter when you are not home. BUT!! if you are at home, then they can (at their prerogative) decide to come AFTER the 5 pm or 8hr window of time, simply because they are running behind or are late. AND they can simply choose to not come at all and reschedule because they are behind or cannot make it!!! So there is a high likelihood that I may be forced to take a day off work, wait at my home, unable to leave for any reason between 7 am and midnight and still have them not show up or fulfill their appointment. As a side note, there was, of course, an opportunity to pay $25 extra dollars for a measly 1 hr appointment window in 5 days from now! This is robbery and coercion and blackmail on the corporate scale.

It is SHAMEFUL that they are allowed to get away with this. This is affecting people's ability to eat, and stay warm, or in some cases (not mine) have warm or hot water. BTW, I was disconnected "by accident" from the second "customer service" person "Karen" and had to make the 3rd call, spending over an hour total on the phone with them. The third "customer service" agent was able to share with me what was in the record without me having to tell her first (unlike the second one Karen), so of course, that was all just crap. SHAME SHAME SHAME.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

The worst experience EVER. We are living in 2017!!! Reconnection should be same day!!! Implorable of a company to make a family wait up to 5 days to have services reconnected!!! I wanted to give zero stars but wouldn't allow.

Original review: July 24, 2017

Called over a week ago to have service transferred to our new house. SoCalGas said it will take a week or longer for someone to turn on the gas. I called and explained that I have small children in the house and SoCalGas doesn't care. So we have no heat, no hot water. So we have not been able to shower for 3 days now and we have to wait another 3 days. All they have to do is turn on the damn gas.

SoCalGas Company Information