1.13/5

Need a utility company?

California

Need a utility company?

267 SoCalGas Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 31, 2019

They need to train the contact center reps better. Customers are calling to resolve an issue and that should be your focus. She kept trying to tell me what the rules were and what the field reps are NOT required to do. Her field rep pulled out my washer dryer to turn off the valve and so now they have to pull it out again to turn it on. She says they are not required to do so and I should have someone else come in and turn it on. In speaking to the field reps, in order for them to do their jobs, they have to do what the contact center says they are not required to do. Regardless, none of that resolved my issue and she was so rude and demeaning.

To make it worse, when I spoke to the supervisor, she said she the rep was correct and that she was stating the facts. She offered to contact the field supervisor which could take 3-4 days! Again, not a solution! I am to have NO GAS for days because you have a rule that even your own reps don't follow? The call center really needs to be better trained to be customer focused - while it's good to know what your rules are, we are looking for you to be partners to solve our problems given you are typically the last resort. Maddening.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

SoCal gas took upon themselves to send us and many of our neighbors notices declaring our gas usage is in the order of 70 to 95% more than similar homes. The bill is now quadrupled from our average $70 a month to $249. Our gas use has not changed, our gas heater is only used overnight just as always. This is a blatant abuse of their monopoly system. Class action suit should be filed against the company.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Customer service is no help at all!!! They could care less about their customers! The person I spoke to was rude and just there for a paycheck!!! My service was disconnected With no notice even though I had a payment extension, So per customer service since I made the extension through their automated service they wouldn't honor it.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I don’t like to complain but I called SoCalGas to set up service. After waiting on hold for 12 minutes I was connected to set up service and the lady “Ms **” was so rude an not helpful. She had an attitude and hung up on me. I was not happy with her customer service skills.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I spoke with two customer service reps at SoCalGas and received different information, was basically lied to, and spoke to a woman who was so rude that she was basically calling me name on the phone. I set up my account online and then called the company with a few questions. I was told that if I set up auto-payments then the security deposit would be waived. SoCalGas does NOT do this, according to their website or the second customer service rep.

The first woman said you simply had to call in and ask then they can do it. The second woman basically called me a lying ** today at about 10:15AM when I explained this. She was very insisted that I did not call in and was not told this information and that no one in their company would say that because it is wrong. No matter what I said, she just kept saying "you're wrong" and trying to call me names before I stopped her. If I could just change gas companies, I would. AWFUL!! Give customers an option and they will RUN away from SoCal Gas. I have zero other options and a lot in my home runs on gas so I'm totally stuck with a company that calls its customers names and liars and do not listen but instead interrupt them and talk over them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SoCalGas?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Every since we've opted out of the "Advanced Meters", we've had problems with the field techs. They sometimes come to our gate and just look around to see if anyone's looking at them and then write something on a piece of paper and leave. They don't bother to come in and actually read the meter and by doing so it causes our bill to be incorrectly billed. Some of the field techs that I've confronted play dumb and make up stories on why they don't have the key for the lock. The locks that we use on the meter reading days were issued to us by SoCalGas and the keys are accessible to every field tech.

I've called SoCalGas and explained the problem to them but nothing happens. The only response that we got was a call from a rep, which we thought was from the Meter Dept. He didn't care about our complaints and only wanted to know why we didn't want to install the "Advanced Meter". Later, I found out that he wasn't from the Meter Dept but instead he was from the Sales Dept.

In my opinion, this leads me to believe that the Meter Dept is working with the Sales Dept in order to harass us for opting out of the "Advanced Meter". I guess they hope that we'll get tired and install it but we won't. This type of marketing tactic is very shady and should be investigated by law enforcement, the district attorney, and CPUC (California Public Utilities Commission) because it's not legal.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

This company, SoCalGas, was quick to cut our gas off. The balance of the bill wasn't high only about $70. How the tech got into our building I don't know, they came in asking us for money please finally demanding that we give them the balance. I said if we had it we would already pay it off. Then they cut the gas off. We were able to pay the bill a week later, we also paid for service to be cut back on. It's been over a month and we have no gas, unable to cook. We've been eating out everyday since.

We have made 4 rescheduled calls. I was off work and home when they said no one was home. They only stick around for 5 minutes according to their notice. How can we make an official complaint and they actually get into trouble? Now seeing that others have the same or worst experience. They don't feel they have to have good consumer service because they monopolize the area. Competition would change their tune. This should be illegal... Thanksgiving wasn't done at our place because of it. now it looks like Christmas might be gas-less also. They have made no real attempts to turn gas back on and they have our money.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

To the gas company. Employee came to my house. I don't know exactly what time, no one was home and he jump a lock gate to shut the gas off. I think this is very scary. I call the office. I paid $115.00 and I ask if it was fine to jump the close gate, they, "Yes because we need to reach our equipment". I told him, "Now I understand why we getting robbed with impersonates from your company." He also ask me to leave my key somewhere so they can get in to turn the service back on.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Apparently the company has a way to track their inspectors so they do not wait for a resident for longer than 5 minutes but they have no way of notifying customers that a technician is 10 minutes away. We have been without gas for 13 days because of a technicality in setting up our account (my husband did not go down to the office with two forms of ID so they turned off our gas). Today I missed the tech by 5 minutes because I was dropping kids at camp and they cannot send him back. In NY they cannot legally turn your gas off. If there was ANY alternative company I would take it. Welcome to California. If it was an option I would give no stars. Zero.

Original review: July 9, 2018

After we moved into our apartment we called SoCalGas and they claimed our apartment address was not on their customer list and that they wouldn't come out. Well 3 months later(now) and our gas is shut off. We called SoCalGas 4 days ago to come out and turn it back on and to start an account, the earliest they could come out was today 7am-7pm show up time??? We live in a split house and our apartment is on the second level and you have to go up outside stairs through a door to a hallway where our door is. Very simple stuff.

The guy shows up at 10:25 am, we hear his knocks on the outside door, my boyfriend puts on shoes and goes to answer the door. This took maybe 30 seconds?! This guy was in his truck leaving while Chris was yelling "hello!!" And trying to get his attention. The guy must have ran back to his truck with how fast he knocked and immediately bailed. So the guy takes off. We are livid at this point. 4 days without hot water or being able to cook. So we call customer service and tell the lady what just happened and wanting to file a complaint cause it was so ridiculous and they are making us wait another 4 days to come out again FOR THEIR MULTIPLE ** and want us to pay 75 dollars to get gas turned on, another charge for coming out again and charge us 3 months of gas when they told us we weren't listed to begin with!!!

SoCalGas Company Information