2. Homeowners

California

3.9/5 (243 ratings)

About SoCalGas

SoCalGas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SoCalGas?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SoCalGas?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

This company, SoCalGas, was quick to cut our gas off. The balance of the bill wasn't high only about $70. How the tech got into our building I don't know, they came in asking us for money please finally demanding that we give them the balance. I said if we had it we would already pay it off. Then they cut the gas off. We were able to pay the bill a week later, we also paid for service to be cut back on. It's been over a month and we have no gas, unable to cook. We've been eating out everyday since.

We have made 4 rescheduled calls. I was off work and home when they said no one was home. They only stick around for 5 minutes according to their notice. How can we make an official complaint and they actually get into trouble? Now seeing that others have the same or worst experience. They don't feel they have to have good consumer service because they monopolize the area. Competition would change their tune. This should be illegal... Thanksgiving wasn't done at our place because of it. now it looks like Christmas might be gas-less also. They have made no real attempts to turn gas back on and they have our money.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

To the gas company. Employee came to my house. I don't know exactly what time, no one was home and he jump a lock gate to shut the gas off. I think this is very scary. I call the office. I paid $115.00 and I ask if it was fine to jump the close gate, they, "Yes because we need to reach our equipment". I told him, "Now I understand why we getting robbed with impersonates from your company." He also ask me to leave my key somewhere so they can get in to turn the service back on.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Apparently the company has a way to track their inspectors so they do not wait for a resident for longer than 5 minutes but they have no way of notifying customers that a technician is 10 minutes away. We have been without gas for 13 days because of a technicality in setting up our account (my husband did not go down to the office with two forms of ID so they turned off our gas). Today I missed the tech by 5 minutes because I was dropping kids at camp and they cannot send him back. In NY they cannot legally turn your gas off. If there was ANY alternative company I would take it. Welcome to California. If it was an option I would give no stars. Zero.

Original review: July 9, 2018

After we moved into our apartment we called SoCalGas and they claimed our apartment address was not on their customer list and that they wouldn't come out. Well 3 months later(now) and our gas is shut off. We called SoCalGas 4 days ago to come out and turn it back on and to start an account, the earliest they could come out was today 7am-7pm show up time??? We live in a split house and our apartment is on the second level and you have to go up outside stairs through a door to a hallway where our door is. Very simple stuff.

The guy shows up at 10:25 am, we hear his knocks on the outside door, my boyfriend puts on shoes and goes to answer the door. This took maybe 30 seconds?! This guy was in his truck leaving while Chris was yelling "hello!!" And trying to get his attention. The guy must have ran back to his truck with how fast he knocked and immediately bailed. So the guy takes off. We are livid at this point. 4 days without hot water or being able to cook. So we call customer service and tell the lady what just happened and wanting to file a complaint cause it was so ridiculous and they are making us wait another 4 days to come out again FOR THEIR MULTIPLE ** and want us to pay 75 dollars to get gas turned on, another charge for coming out again and charge us 3 months of gas when they told us we weren't listed to begin with!!!

Original review: May 25, 2018

I just received a $144 gas bill. A gas bill that is usually between $24 and $50. How can my bill suddenly be almost 5 times the usual amount??? I haven't changed anything by way of how I use the gas (heat, water, etc). This is ridiculous.

Original review: May 17, 2018

There has to be a way to ban this monopoly and revoke them from operating. Run by unsympathetic people. Rude. Traveling and didn't pay our bill. They just came over and dropped a notice which wasn't home- as if I was - would have paid. Then turned off our gas. Next appt to turn it back on- 15 days!!! WHO DOES THIS??? Luckily begged and got someone to come sooner but how is this legal??? How do you turn the stove to feed people? Take a shower? When I asked the supervisor she said, "Yeah this is an inconvenience." Making lives more hard than they are when short on finances? I wish she could be in our shoes of the numerous complaints and feel that people are trying to pay their bill. It's not like they don't want to! This is complete ** as even LADWP doesn't do this crap. I was at the LADWP office and another woman couldn't pay her bill through social security and they set up a payment plan.

Original review: April 27, 2018

WHY do they need to charge me a deposit to start my service? I have PERFECT CREDIT. And I KNOW they won't return it. I've been through this before with them. They do NOT RETURN DEPOSITS. What a HORRIBLE company. Let's face it...we live in a third world country now, when companies like this run amok. I HATE this company.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I registered online, scheduled a payment, then attempted to view the pending payment. The login information was saved by phone as requested yet SoCalGas.com did not recognize my username, password, or both. I had created the account not 5 minutes before. Thought "it must need 24-48 hours to process." Tried again two days later same result. Called "customer service" (a joke) and was told I could reset my account information. I said put me back on paper billing. Obviously as trustworthy as Jerry Brown at SoCalGas. A monopoly, so no recourse. Thanks Democrats.

Original review: April 16, 2018

This is absolutely the worst company to get involved with! Unless you're like me and don't have any choice but to use them. They shut my gas off because of a clarification issue on their end, and once I cleared it up they proceeded to tell me I had to wait one week to get it back on because they had no open appointments. Are you kidding me? Do you know how embarrassing it is to ask people if I can shower and get ready at their house because I have no hot water. What a piece of crap company that they put helpless families in a position like this. They absolutely do not care one bit about their customers.

Original review: April 5, 2018

The gas company turned off our gas as we had a leak. We spent $12,000 to have it quickly fixed. We then contacted the gas company to have the gas turned on. They, of course, have no urgency to assist us. After waiting 45 minutes to speak with a human we were told it would be some time today. We have waited 8 hours. No one has showed up. We called again. To quote, “we are on the list but they can not give us any time of when a representative will be there.” How stupid is this. No private company could operate like this. We are 70 years old sitting in a cold house with no heat. We have been here all day. There is no accountability and we have no recourse.

SoCalGas Company Information