2. Homeowners

California

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.29/5

Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

For the last year my PGE bills have been high. Last month, January 2020, PGE says I used a great quantity of gas. I know that is wrong because I was out of the country and there was no gas being used from Jan 16 - 23. The heater thermostat was OFF. The only gas being used was for the water heater and there was nobody home. Yet they report I had HIGH gas consumption including during those days. There is something fishy going on. I tried to inquire but they just have a circular phone messaging that does not allow for talking with a person or dealing with a question or problem. Very poor customer service. I wonder if customers are being gouged to protect their stock shareholders.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

I have used the same type of appliances every year for 10 years. Checked for grounds, unplugged everything and watched the meter as I plugged everything back in and there is absolutely no way my bill should be 400% higher than it has ever been. Attempted to get on CARE program 3 times and they've "lost the paperwork" every time. Contemplating living without power because I cannot possibly continue to pay the bill. Candle check?

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

If I could give them less than 1 star, I would. For 15 years I have had a home-based business. Every single PG&E bill has been paid with a company check for that entire time. I received only a $100 credit for the power outages when I should have received a $250 credit. I provided ample documentation supporting the home-based business (license, FBN, etc.). PG&E refuses to credit me the additional $150 because 51% of my residence is not used for business-purposes. A complaint has been filed with the PUC. They're threatening to disconnect my power if I don't pay the $150 which I withheld as they failed to credit me properly. A civil lawsuit will be filed if they cut off my power, which will include a daily business loss of revenue. Oh, by the way, it cost me thousands to have a transfer box installed here, plus I had to purchase generators, to keep my business up and running during their planned power outages. This is such BS.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

Tesla put Solar panels on my roof August 13, 2019. They have yet to give the ok to turn the panels on. I wish we had another choice for power. This monopoly is worthless. Nearly 6 months now. When you call them you are put on endless holds.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I recently moved to Kern County and heard complaints about this company and thought nothing of it....until now. I have two major issues with this company. 1) if you set up a recurring payment, these people will hound you via email about setting up paperless billing. Mind you, you have completed all requirements but they still pester you. 2) I set up everything for recurring payment, they send me an email today saying that I used a credit card/debit and that it is not allowed. Meanwhile if you go to their page, they give you the option to use checking, savings, and CREDIT CARD OR DEBIT CARD. They sent me an email threatening to pull the deposit from my account if I did not change my payment option to checking. Total misinformation by PGE. I wish I was getting my services from Edison. I never had an issue with them or SoCal gas. This company is horrible. Customer is lazy. You call and they act like they do not want to help you at all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pacific Gas and Electric?

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

The PG&E Corporation has determined that profits for executives and shareholders come before the customers who provide them with those very profits. Over the 30 odd years I have been a PG&E customer, they have consistently raised their rates in order to raise their profit margin. In addition, even after the Camp Fire in Paradise in 2018, the Public Utilities Commission in Sacramento voted to allow them to raise their rates to fund the bankruptcy PG&E filed after the fire that resulted from the neglect of their equipment that killed 85 people. Unbelievable! So, in a nutshell, PG&E is willing to reach into the pockets of its customers to cover their liability and line their own pockets.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

Do you think it would be difficult to live in places like Argentina, Uruguay or Paraguay where the power grid is antiquated and not up to the job? Move to California and experience a third world power grid for yourself. PG&E has allowed it to fall into a fragile state. It is so bad that normal seasonal winds keep their hands on the cutoff switch ready to throw huddled masses into the dark... again and again. Living in the dark without heat or refrigeration is now their new standard for the 21st century. It is time to break them up. We need more local municipal power companies which will put profit taking on the back burner in order to keep the citizen’s front burners working. I am a senior citizen and, in my experience, electricity was safer and more dependable back in the 50s and 60s. Shame on you PG&E.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

So here I am literally surrounded by fires. The sky is so full of smoke that we have to wear masks to walk the dog. So far we're safe, but in a few hours who knows. All day we've been trying to find out whether we'll be subject to power outages, just like the ones last week. So after taking 15 minutes to sign into the PG&E website I can't access the part where I can sign up for alerts much less search for information. I suppose a poorly designed, poorly functioning website dovetails right into the rest of the PG&E culture.

Enough is enough. People of California, we've been duped long enough. The time has come that we demand Sacramento seize, yes seize the assets of PG&E under eminent domain. The salaries and bonuses of all employees in excess of $150,000 should be rescinded. This company is made of people and they have demonstrated such a level of gross incompetence that they no longer deserve to survive as a private entity.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

Power shutoffs not needed. PG&E strikes again. After a 3 day 3rd world nightmare just weeks ago they are at it again. What have they been doing since then...aside from being parked in parking lots, sides of roads and gas stations. It is not our fault that pg&e is lazy, ignorant, greedy, and just plain mis-managed. They shut off all these counties on the possibility of wind gusts. There will always be wind gusts on any given day. Fires are an unfortunate part of life and that does not give an ignorant company the right to play God with our livelihoods. I'm sure none of the pg&e jerks in charge are affected in their homes.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

Oh you think PG&E deserves two stars… You must be kidding right? This has got to be one of the worst corporations on the planet. Like living in a Third World country, they can’t even keep the power on in Northern California and keep shutting it off to protect us from a danger that was created solely by their corporate greed. Shame on them for putting profits before their customers. It’s time we Californians turn this company into a public utility that serves its customers rather than its shareholders. Let’s get a petition together and do this!

Pacific Gas and Electric Company Information