2. Homeowners

California

3.9/5 (254 ratings)

About Pacific Gas and Electric

Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pacific Gas and Electric?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pacific Gas and Electric?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

I am doing a renovation on three homes in a row. PG&E services all power and gas. I keep making appointments and PG&E just does not show up. Then I call and make another appointment. PG&E sends an automated call confirming the appointment BUT no one ever shows up. They have a monopoly on us with power and gas and offer no customer service at all. If there was a way to get rid of them I would do it in a heartbeat!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

Like many, I have become skeptical of PG&E to deliver high quality energy services. I just reviewed our most recent bill and observed the ongoing trend of ever increasing costs while the company's frail infrastructure continues to buckle due to years of neglect and what appears as a greater commitment to shareholder's interests versus that of CA customers. With a revolving door of CEO's and repeated bankruptcies, when does this utility actually get it right? Is this public/private strategy actually work and is it prepared for the ongoing environmental challenges we are witnessing with global warming?

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

NEVER ALLOW PG&E service guy TOUCH YOUR GAS FURNACE because they dismantle the gas pipe without asking your permission which caused you paying over $3000.- to replace a new furnace. My story is I called PG&E for service because gas furnace could not ignite itself on 11/20/2020. I figured it might be because 1 day before the service guy Eddie came to my house to restore gas meter and checked on gas furnace after fumigation. The same service guy Eddie came again. After he tested and found no gas leak. He said likely due to bad sparker and suggested me to find a licensed contractor for repair. Then without any notice or ask for permission, he dismantled the gas pipe and left.

A licensed contractor that I called for repair came saying because the pipe was so tight to connect each other, after PG&E dismantled the pipe, he could not stretch it back to the original position and connect them back. He suggested me to either replace the entire flexible pipe or replace the whole furnace unit. Since the furnace is old, the licensed contractor won't suggest me to fix it because it'd probably cost me at least $800 or more and they could not guarantee there might be more issues later on.

I called PG&E and asked them to reverse it back to where it was. So I can fix the igniting problem. But, PG&E refused and said IT IS PG&E POLICY NOT TO CONNECT IT BACK. Because of their stupid work, my family ended up was freezing at night. Moreover, I am paying maybe $3000-$3500 to get the heat back to the house for this winter. This is my first time call PG&E for service in my last 23 years living the same house and the experience I had with PG&E is horrible. I am so disappointed with PG&E.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

PG&E came out after midnight to repair a broken power line. In doing so they trimmed a LOT of tree branches. I called PG&E the next day to learn if they would remove and chip the branches. The answer was that they do if the diameter of the branches is less than 4". They would have someone call me to make an appointment to determine what their action might be. When I didn't hear from anyone after 24 hours, I called again. They said it could be 7 days until someone would call to make an appointment.

When someone finally showed up ~ 5 days later - and I had already removed most of the debris with about 7 yard waste containers and more remaining - they told me PG&E would not clean up in case of an urgent repair like that and that my call was misdirected to the wrong department. To wait a week just to get an answer (I had also asked the crew at 12:30am if they would clean up and didn't get an answer), is poor customer service. Of course, I would have liked them to clean up. But I couldn't get timely information as to whether they would.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

For the last year my PGE bills have been high. Last month, January 2020, PGE says I used a great quantity of gas. I know that is wrong because I was out of the country and there was no gas being used from Jan 16 - 23. The heater thermostat was OFF. The only gas being used was for the water heater and there was nobody home. Yet they report I had HIGH gas consumption including during those days. There is something fishy going on. I tried to inquire but they just have a circular phone messaging that does not allow for talking with a person or dealing with a question or problem. Very poor customer service. I wonder if customers are being gouged to protect their stock shareholders.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

I have used the same type of appliances every year for 10 years. Checked for grounds, unplugged everything and watched the meter as I plugged everything back in and there is absolutely no way my bill should be 400% higher than it has ever been. Attempted to get on CARE program 3 times and they've "lost the paperwork" every time. Contemplating living without power because I cannot possibly continue to pay the bill. Candle check?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

If I could give them less than 1 star, I would. For 15 years I have had a home-based business. Every single PG&E bill has been paid with a company check for that entire time. I received only a $100 credit for the power outages when I should have received a $250 credit. I provided ample documentation supporting the home-based business (license, FBN, etc.). PG&E refuses to credit me the additional $150 because 51% of my residence is not used for business-purposes. A complaint has been filed with the PUC. They're threatening to disconnect my power if I don't pay the $150 which I withheld as they failed to credit me properly. A civil lawsuit will be filed if they cut off my power, which will include a daily business loss of revenue. Oh, by the way, it cost me thousands to have a transfer box installed here, plus I had to purchase generators, to keep my business up and running during their planned power outages. This is such BS.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

Tesla put Solar panels on my roof August 13, 2019. They have yet to give the ok to turn the panels on. I wish we had another choice for power. This monopoly is worthless. Nearly 6 months now. When you call them you are put on endless holds.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I recently moved to Kern County and heard complaints about this company and thought nothing of it....until now. I have two major issues with this company. 1) if you set up a recurring payment, these people will hound you via email about setting up paperless billing. Mind you, you have completed all requirements but they still pester you. 2) I set up everything for recurring payment, they send me an email today saying that I used a credit card/debit and that it is not allowed. Meanwhile if you go to their page, they give you the option to use checking, savings, and CREDIT CARD OR DEBIT CARD. They sent me an email threatening to pull the deposit from my account if I did not change my payment option to checking. Total misinformation by PGE. I wish I was getting my services from Edison. I never had an issue with them or SoCal gas. This company is horrible. Customer is lazy. You call and they act like they do not want to help you at all.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

The PG&E Corporation has determined that profits for executives and shareholders come before the customers who provide them with those very profits. Over the 30 odd years I have been a PG&E customer, they have consistently raised their rates in order to raise their profit margin. In addition, even after the Camp Fire in Paradise in 2018, the Public Utilities Commission in Sacramento voted to allow them to raise their rates to fund the bankruptcy PG&E filed after the fire that resulted from the neglect of their equipment that killed 85 people. Unbelievable! So, in a nutshell, PG&E is willing to reach into the pockets of its customers to cover their liability and line their own pockets.

Pacific Gas and Electric Company Information