California

2.9/5 (408 ratings)

About Pacific Gas and Electric

Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pacific Gas and Electric?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pacific Gas and Electric?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2022

During my time using this company for my energy requirements things did not seem terrible. I never missed a bill payment because I used electronic payments and however I updated my personal information with his company because I started using them with my ex-wife. We divorced and I moved on and I changed my phone number and updated the information and because every bill was getting paid on time I thought that all the information was good. When I checked it and saw that it was my old phone number I made sure to correct them with the correct phone number. They continued to fail to update my information correctly in this I found out when I went to move.

I was moving to another state and informed them that I wanted to set up a shut off date 2 months in advance and that I wanted to close everything because I was going to make the last payment by phone. They failed to document that and closed my account and stopped the electronic transfer. They never updated my new number which I changed five years prior and despite me telling them about the forwarding address they didn’t document that either. So in their eyes I never told them any of this which means it never happened.

I moved in and was getting everything set up and getting a new job so things were quite hectic in my new state but I never received a bill via email, I never received a phone call at my number that I had given them years prior and I received no mail at my new residence despite having email forwarding service for six months after I moved. They had had no problems contacting me before but now it was impossible to do so. They called my wrong phone number, never sent any emails and never sent any letters despite them saying that they did because they would’ve been forwarded to my new address. My bill went into collections and my credit score dropped over 100 points because of their lack of attention and poor recordkeeping.

When I was speaking to one of the representatives I felt as if I were an inconvenience to her because when I was explaining to her the issue, which was not me paying the bill but the effect their poor keeping had on my LIFE, which who knows what she apparently heard, she exclaimed “oh my God“ and I assume she meant to say that quieter than she did because she immediately denied having said that and that I was wrong. So in addition to their poor recordkeeping they also have absolutely poor customer service and will hardly do anything to help make right what was wrong. They refuse to hold themselves accountable and it is the customer's fault.

If you can avoid using PG and E as a power company I highly suggest that you do so! This company will not take care of you and do not care about you and only care about getting their money. I wish I had looked at these reviews earlier because I never would’ve gone with them. They are shameful as a company, lack professionalism and will not do what is right to make up for it. In their eyes, it is your fault after all. They are doing you a favor just by speaking to you. Cut your losses, find another company.

Original review: March 1, 2022

My bills have never been higher. I live in a 1 bedroom unit alone. My bill for this month was over $180.00. I canceled service with Vista Energy 2 months ago and their still billing me and PGE is billing me for the same thing. In my adult life I have never paid these amounts. How do they think we can manage it? On SSA Low Income and the amount from CARE I get doesn't help much. PGE is the most outrageous bill I have. Customer service is Bad. Can't get through. Online is of no use. They state you can email them, then you go to email and they're not set up for it. They force you to use self service or online. I wish I could get rid of PGE and go with another company. I rate PGE on a scale of 1 to 10 a 2.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2022

I wanted to find a PG&E in-person payment center close to where I live. My regular location has been closed ever since Covid-19 restrictions started. Other payment centers at least have a drop box so your payment is not late. I don't understand why other places do not have drop boxes as well. The burden is put on the postal service men and women. To me, a drop box is a very convenient solution! It is hard talking to a robot or being on hold for 25 minutes.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

Trying to navigate to speak with someone in Customer Service in Billing at PG&E is a confusing frustrating experience with little to no assistance. I signed up to have PG&E as MY Energy CARRIER period. So why am I (and others) being charged for "third part energy," when, (1) we signed up for PG&E SOLELY and, (2) Most of Us are laid off/unemployed to Covid?? NO. I DID NOT SIGN for a Third Party carrier--I LOOKED TO AVOID THAT! Fun Fact: this "third party" happens to be "an affiliated /subsidiary of PG&E." Really? Hmmm... I think this is horrible! We're trying to pay bills, get ourselves back up and this??? Oh and trying to call is just as bad. You either wait with no one picking up your call, or you get asked to be called back. Problem with that feature is, they call OUTSIDE THE TIME THEY TELL YOU. And of course, you can't get the call. PG&E we're trying to do the right thing why are you being so difficult???

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

PGE is mostly a bunch of people out to cheat other people. They don't answer calls and provide service readily meaning they are out to cheat people mostly, simple scam. Some of life is about tolerating scams, they will reap what they sow...

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

For most part offer competitive rates. The offer 20% off CARE program form clients with challenge income. They also come out same day if smell gas leak and check house. Furthermore, able to schedule annual safety checks of water heaters, stoves and heaters for safety. This helps save for consumers.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

I am doing a renovation on three homes in a row. PG&E services all power and gas. I keep making appointments and PG&E just does not show up. Then I call and make another appointment. PG&E sends an automated call confirming the appointment BUT no one ever shows up. They have a monopoly on us with power and gas and offer no customer service at all. If there was a way to get rid of them I would do it in a heartbeat!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

Like many, I have become skeptical of PG&E to deliver high quality energy services. I just reviewed our most recent bill and observed the ongoing trend of ever increasing costs while the company's frail infrastructure continues to buckle due to years of neglect and what appears as a greater commitment to shareholder's interests versus that of CA customers. With a revolving door of CEO's and repeated bankruptcies, when does this utility actually get it right? Is this public/private strategy actually work and is it prepared for the ongoing environmental challenges we are witnessing with global warming?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

NEVER ALLOW PG&E service guy TOUCH YOUR GAS FURNACE because they dismantle the gas pipe without asking your permission which caused you paying over $3000.- to replace a new furnace. My story is I called PG&E for service because gas furnace could not ignite itself on 11/20/2020. I figured it might be because 1 day before the service guy Eddie came to my house to restore gas meter and checked on gas furnace after fumigation. The same service guy Eddie came again. After he tested and found no gas leak. He said likely due to bad sparker and suggested me to find a licensed contractor for repair. Then without any notice or ask for permission, he dismantled the gas pipe and left.

A licensed contractor that I called for repair came saying because the pipe was so tight to connect each other, after PG&E dismantled the pipe, he could not stretch it back to the original position and connect them back. He suggested me to either replace the entire flexible pipe or replace the whole furnace unit. Since the furnace is old, the licensed contractor won't suggest me to fix it because it'd probably cost me at least $800 or more and they could not guarantee there might be more issues later on.

I called PG&E and asked them to reverse it back to where it was. So I can fix the igniting problem. But, PG&E refused and said IT IS PG&E POLICY NOT TO CONNECT IT BACK. Because of their stupid work, my family ended up was freezing at night. Moreover, I am paying maybe $3000-$3500 to get the heat back to the house for this winter. This is my first time call PG&E for service in my last 23 years living the same house and the experience I had with PG&E is horrible. I am so disappointed with PG&E.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

PG&E came out after midnight to repair a broken power line. In doing so they trimmed a LOT of tree branches. I called PG&E the next day to learn if they would remove and chip the branches. The answer was that they do if the diameter of the branches is less than 4". They would have someone call me to make an appointment to determine what their action might be. When I didn't hear from anyone after 24 hours, I called again. They said it could be 7 days until someone would call to make an appointment.

When someone finally showed up ~ 5 days later - and I had already removed most of the debris with about 7 yard waste containers and more remaining - they told me PG&E would not clean up in case of an urgent repair like that and that my call was misdirected to the wrong department. To wait a week just to get an answer (I had also asked the crew at 12:30am if they would clean up and didn't get an answer), is poor customer service. Of course, I would have liked them to clean up. But I couldn't get timely information as to whether they would.

Pacific Gas and Electric Company Information