1.30/5
Based on 108 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a utility company?

California

138 Pacific Gas and Electric Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 17, 2018

I have lived in Alameda, CA fourteen years, so I'm well aware what my PG&E bill should be month-to-month. Imagine my surprise when I get May's bill and it's over fifty dollars more than it should be. I'm a single gal in a small house and only have PG&E for heating water. My bill for this month is normally $18 and change. I'm on the CARE program. After asking me, 1) if I had changed the setting on the water heater? 2) Was someone else living in my home? 3) Did I change my habits? I was told PG&E had been undercharging me, that my Smart Reader wasn't reading correctly to their meter. They went ahead and yanked the $70 out of my account, and immediately I called to be removed from APS, only to receive another letter stating my bill for next month is $68 and I'm still on APS. Now, I have to go to Chase and put a stop on their routing number, and plead for a refund.

Original review: May 3, 2018

PG&E changed my meter to a smart meter, which is capable of recording electrical usage by the day and hour. I hate that the smart meter was forced down my throat against my will, due to the health and danger implications associated with them. But the one positive side, is that my usage can be charted and seen by the month, day, and hour. My home is located in Central CA. and is used as a vacation rental. It is therefore not always occupied. Strange spikes have been recorded at 4, 5, and 6 AM.

Some so high that my home isn't even possible of generating that much electricity if every single appliance were running at full capacity. I of course called PG&E, who claimed to check my meter. Said it was fine, and despite the electrical usage recorded claimed it was used and that was the end of it. I then filed a complaint with the PUC, who I can assure you, are in coquets with PG&E, and denied my claim. I then filed a repeal, and never heard another word back. That was a few years ago.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2018

My July 21st 2017 electric bill for my 3900 sq ft home where my wife and I live was $505.85 with an additional $66.23 added for "high usage". When I complained to PG&E about the high usage charge they said that my usage was a lot higher than the year before on the same month. I told them that July of 2016 averaged 85 degrees while July of 2017 was in the 100s. Duh, I used more electricity in the hot month and how can you compare the 2 different months of 2 different years when the weather affects how much energy is used for air conditioning? Not fair to penalize when the circumstances are completely different. PG&E said they could do nothing to rectify my concern. I will try PUC. I wish I could understand how the new meters work...

Original review: March 29, 2018

I cannot believe how inconsiderate and how awful PGE has been to my mother. Father recently passed leaving my mother on her own. My mother has worked hard all her life, took care of my father when he became ill, never in a day was my mother ill. So within this last year, my mother had colon cancer, for which they removed 1/2 of her colon, major surgery. Not only the cancer, but heart failures, and other ailments. Its been hard for my mother with her illness and her age of 87 she is always cold, So the heater is always on for my mother. Now to get to my point, I cannot believe that PGE wrote my mother advising her that she is the only one in her neighborhood with the highest usage of gas and electric. My mother could of had another heart attack for the disrespect she felt. No prior letter asking my mother reasons for the high usage, nothing.

I wanted to call and tell them a few things, but my mother said, "Just leave it alone for now." She's been in and out of the hospital. We could of lost my mother, and to think what kind of people work at PGE. They should of sent out a questionnaire prior to sending out a letter like that. Shame on PGE for making my mother who's 87 yrs of age feel like the way she did after reading their letter. She does not watch tv all day, at night yes sports. Lights on minimal, so besides the heater and your regular appliances. I'm just so appalled.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I have lived in Palo Alto for about 7 months now, renting. Moved from NC due to husband's job. After his job duties, I cannot wait to head back east. We have never had an energy bill for $900!!! I call and they go down a ** list of what I can do to make it less. When in fact, during the day nothing is running, nothing is on -- if things are on they are not worth a $900 bill. In NC at the most for 2 adults and a toddler. Water was about $40-60 with electric and gas $80 to $150. When I call PG and E, there is no clear answer on the rates, how they charge or how they bill. If you have the gas heater on, not have it on, have an electric heater on or not have it on -- still being charged the same amount. Truly robbing people and I am sick to my stomach. Cost of living is so much in the bay area, which even that baffles me. Why are people and how can they afford this?? It is all robbery and I hope this company changed things soon.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pacific Gas and Electric?

Original review: March 2, 2018

In our Gilroy, CA neighborhood we've had a history of power outages, usually affecting the same number of houses and addresses. This is due to a problem with a power station, and/or lack of redundancy. It's been like this for years with no action from the company, let alone government ineptness. Let's face it, profit drives the greed of companies, aided by agency corruption at all levels, at the expense and lives of ordinary people.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I noticed the greed with this Co. Pig&E. I'm Bakersfield CA being on Social Security. My monthly bill was high. It was summertime. I had an option to pay payments! Which was fine. The following month I was reviewing my bill. When I noticed an amount that was higher than it was supposed to be and the bill was double what I was supposed to pay. So I called them and mentioned the bill. He mentioned that, "Go ahead and pay it." That it wouldn't reflect the minimal amount. I told them that wasn't the amount was suppose to pay. I finally just sent in the amount I was suppose to pay!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Almost Every damn bill there's a new request for a rate increase and there's no competing company to keep rates in check and they have a monopoly on the market.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

PG&E offers low income and medical equipment use discounts and free energy savings measures for income qualified persons which includes but isn't limited to installing weather stripping, providing new microwaves, more energy efficient replacement refrigerators. They have ads on TV reporting they were responsible for a gas leak which killed people and are working to become a safer utility companies after paying fines. Becoming a safer utility company is very important and non-negotiable.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

This company has a monopoly in Northern California and they keep raising their prices. I have tried for the last year to get on the care program with no success and my bills just keeps climbing. I have had one smart meter catch fire, and I believe that these meters are faulty which my $2880.00 bill reflects. Please bring another company in to help the rising cost from soaring way out of our ability to pay.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I've had this company, PG&E for years, never had to call and complain about anything. Outages happen during storms, but not often and they are fixed pretty quickly. Reliable energy provider.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

They do a good job and never had a problem getting through on the phone. But the rates are somewhat high. And it would be nice if I could get them over to help me make my house more efficient. My wife and I are both retired and I am 75 years old and unable to fix weatherstripping and such.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

PG&E charges way too much for basic electricity and gas. I could not afford to heat my house last winter, and I'm not sure if I can this winter either.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I live in a small 1100 square foot house and in the summer our bills run over $700.00. We have no pool, do not run air am at work, and was told by one rep we had a malfunction in Smart Meter... Kept questioning them about that and outrageous bill. Same answer. The rep was mistaken and they go over all the things to do. We have been ripped off by this horrendous company for years and there is NOT one thing that can be done. They have us under their disgusting control!!!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I have observed a trend over the last couple of years in that our P.G. & E. bill is higher on gas delivery charges (which you can't prove one way or the other) is higher during our true up Month of January (we have solar). We spend an entire year to build up the credit to pay our final true up bill so that it's at least zero, if not additional credit to roll over for the next year. This year in December our gas delivery between PG & E and Sparks was $85.29. In January it was $278.15. Give me a break if that doesn't look suspicious.

Resolution response: Dec. 28, 2017

When I checked online again, the estimated 3 Therms had changed to a correct Permanent 2 Therms for Dec 24.
    On Dec 25 it was 1 Therm as used for that day. And 2 therms the next day.
    I knew I hadn't been using 3 Therms at that time.
    I am relieved that I was not charged at the estimated rate after trying so hard to keep my gas usage down when the weather warmed a little during the holidays.
    I'm still not sure how estimates work when/if they remain estimates, and 3 therms was Not an average for the yearly usage nor even for monthly usage.

Smart meters don't get read manually per month like the old meters did.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

PGE with their electronic meters Overcharge customers. Electronic equipment as we all know has its defects/glitches but PGE uses this to overcharge their customers. They use estimates when they have glitches but it isn't really an estimate just a High usage for the day. See this on electric normally which is hard to prove. But saw it now on Gas. They claim they are going by yearly estimate if they don't get a reading from the system for the day. Baloney!! I use only 1 Therm of Gas during summer every 3-4 days. In spring and fall I used 1-2 per day. This winter with health I have used OCCASIONALLY 3 therms. Normally Only 2 and even only 1 Therm 1 day this current billing. Yet even though for last couple days I have NOT let the heater run all night long, I still got charged for their Estimate as 3 Therms.

I'm being charged for usage I HAVEN'T used. First person said to wait a few days to see if corrected. They don't correct estimates. They can't get a reading that the system failed on. They just call it a reading later when it was really a High Overcharge on a failed reading by Their system. Next person, Supervisor obnoxious and insisted they were estimating based on my usage. Baloney. Didn't even look at my usage for the year. Sacramento office is the WORST. Got transferred to them and they first said I could call back for correction after receive bill but when I asked for number and name to ask for refund when bill came next month, then person just claimed it wasn't an estimate that it was an actual reading when online clearly says Estimate. And all of them had said that it was an estimate not a reading.

Getting charged More by PGE even when using Less to try to save on costly gas bill. Bills are higher with electronic equipment because estimates are done by pge at HIGHER usage then really used and who knows how much of the readings are really accurate. Without the old meters that we could see PGE can overcharge whenever they want. I like electronics and ability to get online usage but not when it is used by PGE to overcharge customers who are sacrificing to try to use less, only to be charged More.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

PG&E had to remove their meter from our apartment, while the owner had to replace the electrical box. Once the meter was pulled from the apartment, we were completely without power. The owner was kind enough to move us to another apartment while the work was being done. Long story short, there was dispute with the contractor and owner on the work to be done, and the apartment sat vacant for over 4 months. Eventually, the work was completed, the city signed off on the building permit, PG&E replaced the meter, and the electricity was restored to the unit. We moved back in and was surprised to later get a bill from PG&E claiming there was power usage during the time the electricity was off and their meter was disconnected. The owner was just as shocked, and is helping us fight PG&E. Unfortunately, PG&E is so crooked, that they refuse to meet with any of us to discuss the glaring issue. We will be looking for an attorney!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

My account is in my mother's name as I have a chronic illness and she helps take care of my affairs. My mother pays for the 2 accounts (hers and mine) with the same card. PG&E assumed my mother was paying her bill twice. They never notified her or me that my bill had gone unpaid for a technical error, and that the money for my month's bill ended up as credit on my mother's. Instead of notifying us, they showed up and discretely turned my water off. My mother called to sort it out and they gave her so much lip at first.

But then she had to point out, that why the heck would there be a credit for the exact amount of my bill on her bill if there wasn't a little mishap. They just accused her of outright not paying it until she got irate and angry and had to force them to listen. After they looked and saw both payments were made within minutes of each other, they finally started to believe her. Now they are finally sending someone out to turn my water back on. So ridiculous all around. Even if the payment going to my mom's account was an accident, if they had sent us a friggin notice of the bill being unpaid, this could have all been avoided.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I had my home rented out for a couple of years. The tenants applied for the PG&E low income program without my permission. They forged my signature on a document and PG&E did not even check with me to verify it. PG&E came in and replaced every ceiling fixture in my house with the identical cheap fixture. I checked online and the price for the fixture is about $6.50 each before buying them in bulk. They replaced one $150 fixture with ones that cost a few dollars! They even installed one ceiling fixture on a wall where it looks like a big **! In the bathrooms where I had bronze or gold fixtures, towel racks, lights, etc., they installed all these unmatching silver fixtures. I am furious!

I also looked at their contract with my tenant where my signature is forged and address given is simply a P.O. Box and noticed that they had not even verified her income to qualify. The wife had listed only herself and her two children and not her husband who lived there and made a good income. They would not have qualified for this low income program but PG&E hadn't even bothered verifying their income and information. This is a federal program paid for with OUR tax dollars. From what I see, this is a big scam by the subcontractors that do the work. Half of my fixtures were brand new and had just been installed. Why would they remove good, new light fixtures and stick in a bunch of cheap ones without question? Any reasonable person should have wondered about this and called me. If there are more people out there like me, this is a big scam profiting the subcontractors used by PG&E and wasting our tax dollars!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

We are a small Business. When we moved the business 16 months ago we had to deposit $1200 to PG&E before they would turn on the gas because we never had them for a business account. We had them at our residence for 15 Yrs. Anyway we ended up depositing $600. Our business uses only gas for air conditioning so we use zero therms during summer. I am upset that they still charge you with the highest daily usage in the past 12 months. They should give us a bonus for being energy efficient.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

With Calif. hydroelectric plants along with the concentration of wealth and resources it should have some of the lowest cost electricity in the nation. Instead you pay the highest electric rates in the world. I do not understand the extreme ignorance of the voters of Calif. Decade after decade you vote in the same party that has been ripping you off and never asking why after 47 years in a row of Liberalism controlling the State Legislature. How can a state that has almost every natural resource within its borders, wealth most countries can't even dream of having, an 840 mile long coastline that is home to two of the largest military and civilian ports in the world, ideal weather conditions, and some of the highest taxes in the country, have an infrastructure that has not been maintained or improved for 50 years, virtually no public transportation and be nearly a $Trillion dollars in debt?

Or why only 1 in 10 school employees is a teacher or why does only 3 of every 10 CalTrans employees actually build roads? Or tell me despite having so much free hydropower why Calif. pay more for electricity than anyone on the planet? And not just a little more a whole hell of a lot more. 50 years ago driving into Sacramento on Hwy 80 there were 3 lanes of traffic on the Yolo Causeway or you can take the slow train. Today nothing has changed. Did any of you wonder why a Chinese co. was contracted to build the new Bay Bridge that had never built a bridge before? They were agreeable to massive kickbacks and political donations. 10 Billion has been spent so far on that bridge that needs to be taken down and rebuilt before it falls over, and it will fall over. Its weight alone is the only thing holding it down because all the anchor bolts were of the wrong metal and snapped when tightened.

Engineers not on the state payroll agree this bridge will tip over in an earthquake. Take a look around the world at some of the magnificent bridges built of late and how much they cost and I think you will agree with me that there are people who should be in jail. To put that much money in perspective check out the Millau Viaduct Bridge in France that was built for under 350 Million. We could have built 28 of these. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgWtJzPa-Rs. Then take a look at the piece of crap California got for 10 Billion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcWutwhjF4k

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

Just a heads up regarding what happened and can happen after SMART meter is installed without enough power to reach PG&E; 0150 therms read on 2/11/15 36. 2/13/15 9 am, at pge.com I sent this: I am disputing this latest charge for PGE gas. My records show and so does the meter, that I've used less than 35 therms during the last billing cycle, which shows the amount as 101 therms on your web page here (97 on billing statement). I read the meter on 2/11/15 which shows ONLY 36 therms since last reading on 1/6/15. PGE shows meters were read on 2/2/15. I always read the meter the same day and close to the same time as the meter reader does. PGE online showed THIRTY NINE occurrences of ESTIMATED readings on the gas over several months. It took 3 months to straighten it out and for refunds. Many phone calls, and me just being persistent, THEM just trying to dismiss it out of hand.

The METER is what is true, NOT their ESTIMATED amount. Shame on PG&E for such dismal concern for their customers. Why didn’t they contact me after the FIRST estimated reading??? Or at least send out a meter reader. THIRTY NINE AND THEY IGNORED THEM, then tried to ignore me as well. It took almost 2 months before they sent someone out to actually read the SMART meter, then another month to get them to refund the huge overcharges. Final conclusion, reluctantly admitted by PG&E: it was due to the meter not having enough power to send the signal for PG&E. They assumed there were enough meters (they boost each other, apparently) in the area to get the signal to them. I was the only one in the area that had the SMART (STUPID) meter. :) They are not dishonest, I would say they are merely incompetent. We all need to read our own meters and record them. I take dated and timed pictures every month.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

Recently turned our vacation home into our retirement home and permanent address. Right away PG&E began hitting us with huge (hundreds of dollars) of high use fees. When we called to find out why, PG&E told us that our usage base was based the amount used by other homes in our neighborhood. When we explained that our home was larger than most in our area, they pretty much told us to "Go Pound Sand"! There is no adjustment or allowance for the size of your home. They expect a 3,000 sq.ft. home to use the same amount of electricity as a 1200 sq.ft. And what's worse, they can charge us these outrageous fees forever! As I see it, it's basically a legal way for them to rob us. Shame on you PG&E.

Original review: July 17, 2017

From the PG&E tariffs on their website, PG&E increased their gas transportation costs by over 110% over the last seven years from 2010 to 2017 or 11.1% per year (ironic just after the 2010 San Bruno pipe explosion). During the TEN year period from 2000 to 2010, these same gas transportation costs increased 27.5% or 2.5% per year. The actual cost of the gas has gone down but PG&E's cost to get it us has risen dramatically. In the meantime, our California governor, a few years ago, appointed an attorney and ex-PG&E vice president to be his secretary and advisor. An investigation occurred where the ex-PG&E vice president, who still held PG&E stock, was advising our governor who to appoint as CPUC directors.

I went to voice concern of the steep gas transportation cost increase and just 1 of the 5 directors showed any genuine concern. I think everyone thinks that our governor cares about the struggling families trying to pay their utilities. In reality, it appears that this is not happening. I hope we all remember this when we vote for our governor next.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I live in an apartment where the only gas used is to heat water. For the last 6 months, our gas charges have been between 37$ and 34$ dollars each month. When I called to speak with a representative about the high fee for gas (Seeing as we don't have a gas stove, do not have a washer or use heat in our home), she said it was all based on the fee "they" pay for gas - and the fee is passed onto us.

So, how in the world does our bill for over 6 month stay at a steady rate. Not to mention, there was a month where both me and my partner had been traveling and out of the apartment for 2 weeks - and the bill stayed the same. If it was based on use, one would assume the cost would go to HALF if we were gone half the month. When I asked about a possible leak, the representative said "that is not possible." All of this doesn't add up. Seems to be they have just someone decided this was what they wanted to make from us and we have no choice but to just pay it.

Original review: June 26, 2017

I have a friend who retired from PG&E. They call it Pacific Gas and Extortion. In our home we have a flash water heater and have the heating and air system off at the power box. So basically it is only lights and the well. Our bill is 600 to 800.00 a month. Where is this going?

Original review: May 6, 2017

I would like to show you our bills which not only doubled, but more than tripled in the months of December through February this year reaching $1700+!!! We are certain that we used the same amount of gas and electricity during the months of November through February. When we asked that PG&E come to check our meter three times, all three times they responded by saying that it was due to the cold weather and never responded to our requests for an inspection of the meter.

We were approved for CARE at one point (over 65 and low income) then PG&E stated that it was cancelled for some reason that we still cannot understand why... But welcome an explanation, albeit unsuccessful in getting one. We have had to borrow money from family members to keep our power on. Even had it shut off due to non-payment when it was over $1700.

It is such a shocker! I've lived here since 2010 and have never seen it go over $500 in dead of winter. This makes absolutely no sense at all! I feel as if though we are at their mercy and regardless of questions we ask, they never mentioned anything about a price increase, but simply that we are the using more power and gas. Like I said, I know what we use, we can't possibly have it tripled for no good reason. Very frustrated and suspicious!

Original review: May 2, 2017

Highway robbery seriously. Smart meters are DUMB meters and PGE is charging more for a little power than a mortgage payment! Someone has to stop this and I mean asap! It's hot in my house right this moment and we are suffering to not turn on the AC because they charge too much and to top it all off, a surcharge starting this year for those who use too much. We need options and choices. That's what we need. No more PGE... Someone give us an alternative! I'd nab it in heartbeat.

Original review: May 1, 2017

PG&E sent checks for my two accounts for an long outage, then billed me the exact amount of the checks as an electrical adjustment! Plus my regular usage. I am low income, disabled and I thought these checks were mine!! Calling PG&E tomorrow! I am not giving them money back for an obscure "electrical adjustment" on my bills--I have farm animals for food and had to throw out vaccines! Food! Get someone to start a generator and buy gas for it during the outage. I live in a small rural area and was the last area repaired! Over 7 days with no heat, refrigeration and I don't own a car. What's up? Has anyone else suffered from this?

Original review: April 20, 2017

Along with numerous other customers our bills starting about December 2016 have doubled! It was a cold winter in California but using gas heat and having the electricity increase so much does not add up. Now that all heaters have been off for a few months our bills are still double! It is not usage, we've lived in the same house and since last year have upgraded to newer more efficient appliances, have gone down to all LED lighting, and have not added anything significant. It does not add up and obviously we're far from alone as I see numerous complaints here and news articles about this in 2017.

Pacific Gas and Electric Company Information