1.34/5

Need a utility company?

California

155 Pacific Gas and Electric Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 9, 2019

I was billed twice and paid twice for apr. They won't reverse these bogus charges. I was involved in the Butte Mountain Fire in Jackson, CA, and was evacuated and almost lost our house. I now live in San Leandro, where in the past ten years, PG&E have murdered people in the San Mateo area and in the Paradise fire. They have cost people pain and suffering due to their unwillingness to keep their equipment up-to-date and to trim foliage away from their equipment. When I lived up near Jackson, in winter, there were constant outages due to limb breakage from snow heaviness. They couldn't be bothered to keep the trees trimmed, causing people to go for not only hours, but sometimes days without power. Same as with Paradise, CA.

Now they're being sued, and rightly so, so they're overcharging everyone and I know they're raising their rates to try to stay in business so they can steal even more money from their customers. Just shameful that the people running this operation are pocketing the money instead of caring about peoples' lives and possessions, not to mention the forest devastation and the poor wild animals that lost their lives in PG&E-responsible fires. SHAMEFUL, YOU MURDERING CHEATS AND LIARS!!!

Original review: April 12, 2019

My PG&E bill for last month was $497.00.. Double my average bill. I complained to the CPUC for this outrageous increase. Took time to fill out entire form and sent info to support my complaint. I have since received a response from PG&E which included my service statement for correct and corresponding usage (both electric & gas), Showing what the “smart meter” recorded. These figures do show an increase of usage but also confirm how much more I am now paying for each unit of energy. Also included in the letter response were rules and terse warning that I should not waste their time unless I had indisputable proof...whatever that means.

PG&E never offered to come out and check their “smart meter” etc. In other words like it or lump it. I also received a letter response from the CPUC stating virtually the same language... Totally agreeing with PG&E, What a waste of time.. The CPUC is definitely in the pocket of this corrupt utility that blew up one city (San Bruno..where I live), and burned down another town (Paradise) and are now passing on to the consumer the total cost of their shoddy maintenance and bad management. What is so appalling and wrong is that the regulatory agency that is suppose to protect the consumer from these types of abuses instead sides with the utility and passes the costs onto the powerless consumer. PG&E needs to be broken up and the CPUC needs to be replaced by a consumer protection agency that does its job. Please find, join and support established watchdog consumer groups to help these two goals come to be.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Feb 12, 2019 around 3 pm I called PG&E regarding a cable that was dangling low. They sent someone and cut the cable and left. I was expecting them to raise it but they didn’t as it was not their cable. It belonged to AT&T according to the supervisor that I spoke with. So we were left with no internet connection. The earliest date an AT&T technician is available is March 18. I find it heartless and lazy. It’s easier to cut down the ground than get a ladder and pull the cable up. I regret reporting it to PG&E. I wish they left it alone.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I live in Northern California and my PG&E bill went from 80 dollars in 2015 which I abused roughly on purpose! To get a feel for my new home's use and charges but it stayed under 100 dollars the whole year. Winter 2016 rates started to increase. Average bill 125-150. Winter 2017 250 dollar average bill. Winter 2018 250-350 average bill. Winter 2019 bill is 400-600 dollars and accumulating because I am forced to pay payments for this high of a bill. PGE claims I was using more gas therms and this raised the rate. They checked my home and claimed there was no leak however the gas fireplace was disconnected because it was deemed hazardous. I am waiting for repairman to come next week.

There is a rival company that just came in and took over the distribution here in Monterey but I suspect it is PG&E with a fake name. There is no one to stop this Monopoly! With all of our price gouging customers here we should be able to win a case in the supreme court to dismantle any monopoly and make PG&E a public utility! Meantime I curse all those involved, their families and future progeny for their evil! May they suffer great disease and suffering to accompany their ill achieved gain!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

So from October of 2016 to December of 2018 I lived in a house with roommates. The first roommate put PG&E on in her name and I put the water bill in my name. We each paid the other for our portions of the bills. She moved out in October of 2017 and I got another roommate. We had the same setup, PG&E in their name and the water in mine. Again we each paid our portions. At the end of December 2018 I got my own place just me and my kids, I paid my deposit and the first bill. Then my February 2019 bill generated and it's almost $4,000. I called them to find out where the charges are from because it doesn't say on my bill and they informed me that the charges are from my previous residence. I told them that the bills were never in my name and that I paid my roommates for my portion.

They then tell me because the first roommate didn't pay her final bill and the second roommate never paid the bill I have to pay for the service because I benefited from the service. I talked to 5 different people and they all said the same robot response. I thought that was why you gave them your personal information like your social security number and driver’s license number so that way when you shut your services off, if you don't pay your final bill it gets sent to collections and it's on your credit report. I feel like what they are doing is illegal and unethical. I am in a losing Battle with them because I have to keep my service. I have a child on a life saving device so I can't be without service. I think it's time the government steps in and holds the Mafia that is Pacific Gas and Electric responsible for their illegal tactics.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pacific Gas and Electric?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Given a “time window” 8 am to 8 pm, I was waiting for the appointment whole day. Just nobody show up. When I call in they told me I’m still on the list so I should keep waiting. The last one even told me they may come at 11 pm. Now is 11:30, no phone call, nobody show up. This company is just having no sense of responsibility.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Sometime last year my bill got really high so I got on their payment plan. There were times where I could not pay the whole bill. That happened a few times but PG&E put me back on the payment plan. PG&E and their employees are very caring wonderful people that care about their customers. Their employees are very understanding and caring. I am a single mom and it was hard for me to make payments but PG&E worked with me. Today I have paid off my bill (0) until next month. Thank you PG&E???

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I use to live in a three bedroom home in Tulare, Ca where my electric and gas charges were reasonable. I moved to Bakersfield, Ca In December 2018. My first bill was for 232 dollars for a two bedroom apartment with only two adults. I was shocked because I knew my usage was not that high. Pacific Gas makes me sick. My second bill was 190. It's just too much. They’re making customers pay for their wildfire stuff and claimed bankruptcy. The sickening part is state is allowing this. People are not rich - living paycheck to paycheck - and it’s not okay for Pacific Gas to try and take advantage of people. There has to be something we can all do about Pacific Gas!!! Write written complaints with the consumer committee. Pacific Gas needs to stop being thieves.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

They shut off my power over a past due balance of about $200. I had been making payments each and every time I got paid. Despite it being cold, they still cut my power. Despite my low income status, they showed zero mercy. They claim it's because I didn't return their calls. I thought the generic message they left was for tree service in my area. After the humiliation of talking to several people, in person and over the phone they turned my power back on. I had to set up a payment arrangement that I couldn't agree too, because I'm in utter dire straights, but that was the only way to get the power on.

On the very next bill was a deposit for $150 which is now counting as a past due balance. If it's not paid in 15 days, they are threatening to again turn off my power. Nobody I spoke to in person or over the phone told me that I would be charged a deposit or that I would count as a past due balance. I even made payment arrangements, so why wasn't that included? And why can't I charge them a deposit for outages which are all too common in my area? Why can't I charge them a deposit every time I'm kept waiting on the phone for 30 mins before I can speak to someone?

If that wasn't bad enough, I attempted to pay the current bill via my bank account. I only had enough money in the account to pay that bill. Because their billing took more than a day to deduct the money from my account, an auto bill came through which took enough money out of my account to prevent their charge from going through. Why isn't this instant like everywhere else?

After I realized this, I went online to pay the bill again. This time I was only allowed to pay with a debit card which is farmed out to a third party and costs an additional $1.35. Why can't they process their own debit/credit card payments like every other business in California? Why are they passing on this fee to millions of their customers? It's their business expense, not mine. There should be no connivance fee to use the most common payment form. It's not like I'm paying with an archaic payment form like a check.

Now I log in today to make good on the payment arrangements that were set up. There's no longer any payment arrangement and no sign of it ever being there. I assume this is because my earlier payment didn't go through, but my second debit card payment did process. To make matters worse, when I attempted to pay regardless, I get an error disallowing me to make a payment with my debit card. I'm so distressed, I want to die. I can't believe they treat people this way, especially after overcharging us with those tiered rates. This is a public utility company with absolutely no human understanding. And come to find out they were responsible for at least 17 of the 21 fires in CA this past year. It's time for a regime change. We should not be letting this disgusting company off the hook with a chapter 11.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

So in June of 2018 I moved into a house that I’m renting and opened PG&E service online and when I tried to make payment online it kept telling me wrong account so I called a representative and I was told the account was an account from 2008 so they removed whatever name and place my name as account holder. So I continued to pay using my bank card and in August 2018 I went into office to pay and representative told me I couldn’t pay on that account because I was not authorized so she said she had to close that account make me a new one and I had to pay another deposit even though I’ve lived there since June. So I have had 3 account numbers given to me and 2 deposit for same residence and PG&E doesn’t know where the money for the first deposit is and why they opened an account from 2008 that says I am relative to the one on account. Stolen money if you ask me and who took it who knows. PG&E needs to be sued.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Since I first moved in Nov 2014 my low income supposedly energy efficient apartment, my bill been over 500 and each month I'm struggling to pay it, it's now the end of 2018, being that for one I'm not rich and have other bills and mouths to feed and etc... I've been trying to figure out what went wrong. Why is PG&E costing so much? For 4 yrs I've asked the management and PG&E to come out and see what is going on and all PG&E can say is it's my water heater which is gas. It needs to be turned down. Ok but even if that's the case my bill should not be as much. I live in a apartment for crying out. Not a house. There's no way my bill should be that high every month.

I struggled for 4 hard years dealing with this bill. I pay it but each time I would pay it goes higher to where I need some more money than what I had which lead me going through financial assistance programs to getting loans to borrowing to family members paying some of the bill for me. I weatherized it. I took light bulbs out. I don't even use the stove to cook as much as I used to and now I've exhausted all my efforts and now a week before Christmas me and my kids are without power and just to be fair for the last few months I've really been going through it financially due to job loss so I would put whatever I could as long as it's 100 or more toward my bill each month 'cause I was unable to pay full amount.

What is the purpose of talking to someone over the phone when they all just sound like robots repeating the same lines I can read on their website but PG&E don't care about what it's like for families who are struggling especially as single parent families such as myself so my little money didn't matter. They want to come after people who are low income and that's exactly what I can tell by reading a few other post on here. They should be audited and boycotted and shut down, let them feel what it's like to be without power during Christmas time. Thanks PG&E for making this Christmas the worst.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

We moved out of state on October 1st, leaving behind a $220 bill credit. When I called to confirm that our service had actually stopped, I was told that a refund check would be issued within 10 business days. Fast forward to November, no refund check. So I called again. This time, I was given the excuse that another billing cycle had to occur before the refund could be issued and was told to expect the check before Thanksgiving. It's now the end of November, and still no refund check has arrived. I called again. This time, I was told that the check was somehow delayed because of the Veterans Day holiday and because of the Thanksgiving holiday. I was told that I should wait 10 business days AFTER the Thanksgiving holiday, meaning the check may arrive sometime in December. I AM SICK OF THE LIES! PG&E is holding my check hostage! Who can I call to report this to?

Resolution response: Nov. 13, 2018

WE RECEIVED AN EMAIL AND A PHONE CALL APOLOGIZING FOR BOTH THE DELAY AND THE SLOW RESPONSES. WE WERE PROMISED SERVICE THE FOLLOWING WEEK WHICH IS CURRENTLY BEING INSTALLED AND SHOULD BE FINISHED BY THE END OF THE WEEK. THIS SITUATION HAS BEEN RESOLVED TO OUR SATISFACTION.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

We applied for new service in April - like another reviewer everything that was asked of us was returned within 24 hrs. Paid our deposit - and waited. Still waiting -it's November 8th. After several ignored emails and phone calls we were finally given the vague date of MID Sept - that came and went. Several more ignored emails and phone calls we were told the week of November 5th. That has came and went. Now were are in the process of making several more emails and phone calls which of course are being ignored. Where else can you get away with treating your customers like this?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Our account is on budget billing. After the winter months (peak season for our account), PGE increased our 'budget billing' to MORE than any prior bill on our account. It is supposed to be an average of prior usage, not an increase based on absolutely nothing. I phoned and asked that we be removed from the program and was assured I would be removed. I received this month's statement and again, it includes an overinflated amount stated as 'budget billing' and when I try to phone PGE there is no option for me to speak with a customer service agent. We are being gouged by PGE for services we have never received. As a side note, the statement reflects a 'credit' yet, it doesn't show up in the amount billed. Not sure how they are doing their accounting but nothing adds up.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

On Oct. 12th a PG&E guy in a cherry picker replaced a power pole by our house. In so doing he disconnected the internet wires. He didn't know how to put them back together, so he just taped them off, without reporting to ATT who would have come right out. After restoring electricity, he left without notifying us - or ATT - that our Wi-Fi was down. 3 days later, Oct 15th, ATT came out and discovered the problem. Mel, the guy from ATT said that if they had been notified by PG&E, they could have come right out and fixed it that day. We wouldn't have had to wait 3 days.

While removing the old pole, the PG&E crew removed and confiscated the street lamp. They did not replace the street lamp. Now the street is pitch dark. It's a high crime area - this is in Antioch. During the operation the PG&E crew knocked down a neighbor's fence but did not put it back up. They tore up trees and bushes and left large piles of brush laying around. We tried to contact "Naomi - Contra Costa County Planned Outage Coordinator," but she was not answering. Her voice message said, "Your call is important to us. Please leave a message." So we left a message. But she never returned our call. PG&E was just bailed out by Jerry Brown. We have to pay for their lawsuits.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I applied for new service March 1, 2018. Anything they asked for was done within 24 hours, including paying $25,000 for 300 feet of service. I paid them that late June. I passed my meter inspection in July. Its now September 24th, and I still have not even been given a date as to when it will be installed. I was told by PG and E employees that management decided to lay off half their install crew earlier in the year. They know we have to go through them, so they couldn't care when the work gets done, as long as we have to pay them upfront. Despite what their commercials say, PG & E truly is a company that does not care about their customers.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

For the past 7-8 months, during the construction of our home we tried many many times to get PG&E out to our property to install power, and nothing. We would get told one thing here and another thing there. Until one day we showed up to continue construction on our home, with use of a generator, when we discovered PG&E was there and had cut down a large tree that covered our home from the road along with bushes that acted as a barrier from our house to the road. We did not receive any phone call and there was no concern for what we wanted or any concern for trying to keep any barrier from our house and the road.

The lack of care is unbelievable! I consider myself to be a reasonable person, so I understand that PG&E is a large busy company. However, when my time and property are treated with such disrespect, it makes me wonder how a company can be successful and function properly when they don't care about their customers. My hope is that other people either don't use PG&E or are at least treated better than we were.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I have lived in Alameda, CA fourteen years, so I'm well aware what my PG&E bill should be month-to-month. Imagine my surprise when I get May's bill and it's over fifty dollars more than it should be. I'm a single gal in a small house and only have PG&E for heating water. My bill for this month is normally $18 and change. I'm on the CARE program. After asking me, 1) if I had changed the setting on the water heater? 2) Was someone else living in my home? 3) Did I change my habits? I was told PG&E had been undercharging me, that my Smart Reader wasn't reading correctly to their meter. They went ahead and yanked the $70 out of my account, and immediately I called to be removed from APS, only to receive another letter stating my bill for next month is $68 and I'm still on APS. Now, I have to go to Chase and put a stop on their routing number, and plead for a refund.

Original review: May 3, 2018

PG&E changed my meter to a smart meter, which is capable of recording electrical usage by the day and hour. I hate that the smart meter was forced down my throat against my will, due to the health and danger implications associated with them. But the one positive side, is that my usage can be charted and seen by the month, day, and hour. My home is located in Central CA. and is used as a vacation rental. It is therefore not always occupied. Strange spikes have been recorded at 4, 5, and 6 AM.

Some so high that my home isn't even possible of generating that much electricity if every single appliance were running at full capacity. I of course called PG&E, who claimed to check my meter. Said it was fine, and despite the electrical usage recorded claimed it was used and that was the end of it. I then filed a complaint with the PUC, who I can assure you, are in coquets with PG&E, and denied my claim. I then filed a repeal, and never heard another word back. That was a few years ago.

Original review: April 10, 2018

My July 21st 2017 electric bill for my 3900 sq ft home where my wife and I live was $505.85 with an additional $66.23 added for "high usage". When I complained to PG&E about the high usage charge they said that my usage was a lot higher than the year before on the same month. I told them that July of 2016 averaged 85 degrees while July of 2017 was in the 100s. Duh, I used more electricity in the hot month and how can you compare the 2 different months of 2 different years when the weather affects how much energy is used for air conditioning? Not fair to penalize when the circumstances are completely different. PG&E said they could do nothing to rectify my concern. I will try PUC. I wish I could understand how the new meters work...

Original review: March 29, 2018

I cannot believe how inconsiderate and how awful PGE has been to my mother. Father recently passed leaving my mother on her own. My mother has worked hard all her life, took care of my father when he became ill, never in a day was my mother ill. So within this last year, my mother had colon cancer, for which they removed 1/2 of her colon, major surgery. Not only the cancer, but heart failures, and other ailments. Its been hard for my mother with her illness and her age of 87 she is always cold, So the heater is always on for my mother. Now to get to my point, I cannot believe that PGE wrote my mother advising her that she is the only one in her neighborhood with the highest usage of gas and electric. My mother could of had another heart attack for the disrespect she felt. No prior letter asking my mother reasons for the high usage, nothing.

I wanted to call and tell them a few things, but my mother said, "Just leave it alone for now." She's been in and out of the hospital. We could of lost my mother, and to think what kind of people work at PGE. They should of sent out a questionnaire prior to sending out a letter like that. Shame on PGE for making my mother who's 87 yrs of age feel like the way she did after reading their letter. She does not watch tv all day, at night yes sports. Lights on minimal, so besides the heater and your regular appliances. I'm just so appalled.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I have lived in Palo Alto for about 7 months now, renting. Moved from NC due to husband's job. After his job duties, I cannot wait to head back east. We have never had an energy bill for $900!!! I call and they go down a ** list of what I can do to make it less. When in fact, during the day nothing is running, nothing is on -- if things are on they are not worth a $900 bill. In NC at the most for 2 adults and a toddler. Water was about $40-60 with electric and gas $80 to $150. When I call PG and E, there is no clear answer on the rates, how they charge or how they bill. If you have the gas heater on, not have it on, have an electric heater on or not have it on -- still being charged the same amount. Truly robbing people and I am sick to my stomach. Cost of living is so much in the bay area, which even that baffles me. Why are people and how can they afford this?? It is all robbery and I hope this company changed things soon.

Original review: March 2, 2018

In our Gilroy, CA neighborhood we've had a history of power outages, usually affecting the same number of houses and addresses. This is due to a problem with a power station, and/or lack of redundancy. It's been like this for years with no action from the company, let alone government ineptness. Let's face it, profit drives the greed of companies, aided by agency corruption at all levels, at the expense and lives of ordinary people.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I noticed the greed with this Co. Pig&E. I'm Bakersfield CA being on Social Security. My monthly bill was high. It was summertime. I had an option to pay payments! Which was fine. The following month I was reviewing my bill. When I noticed an amount that was higher than it was supposed to be and the bill was double what I was supposed to pay. So I called them and mentioned the bill. He mentioned that, "Go ahead and pay it." That it wouldn't reflect the minimal amount. I told them that wasn't the amount was suppose to pay. I finally just sent in the amount I was suppose to pay!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Almost Every damn bill there's a new request for a rate increase and there's no competing company to keep rates in check and they have a monopoly on the market.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

PG&E offers low income and medical equipment use discounts and free energy savings measures for income qualified persons which includes but isn't limited to installing weather stripping, providing new microwaves, more energy efficient replacement refrigerators. They have ads on TV reporting they were responsible for a gas leak which killed people and are working to become a safer utility companies after paying fines. Becoming a safer utility company is very important and non-negotiable.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

This company has a monopoly in Northern California and they keep raising their prices. I have tried for the last year to get on the care program with no success and my bills just keeps climbing. I have had one smart meter catch fire, and I believe that these meters are faulty which my $2880.00 bill reflects. Please bring another company in to help the rising cost from soaring way out of our ability to pay.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I've had this company, PG&E for years, never had to call and complain about anything. Outages happen during storms, but not often and they are fixed pretty quickly. Reliable energy provider.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

They do a good job and never had a problem getting through on the phone. But the rates are somewhat high. And it would be nice if I could get them over to help me make my house more efficient. My wife and I are both retired and I am 75 years old and unable to fix weatherstripping and such.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

PG&E charges way too much for basic electricity and gas. I could not afford to heat my house last winter, and I'm not sure if I can this winter either.

Pacific Gas and Electric Company Information