1.32/5

Need a utility company?

California

Need a utility company?

161 Pacific Gas and Electric Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Why do we not have a choice of our utility providers? PG&E does what they want because most California politicians have PG&E money in their pockets. Mandatory Smart Meters were forced upon us. Then we get charged more to use power on the days and hours we need it most under the guise of "excessive power usage during those hours" calling them "Smart days". PG&E filed bankruptcy. Why are we still paying them? Because the California legislature props them up as too big to fail. Of course they like the PG&E money in their pockets and care noting about the constituents that vote them into office. Vote them out, demand a choice, and force the corrupt PG&E to dissolve.

Original review: July 22, 2019

PG & E is clearly out to punish its low and moderate-income clientele who have no choice but to continue using its services and have no access to appeal. A blatant fleecing of the customer base, no doubt to cover costs associated with active and impending lawsuits. For shame!

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 17, 2019

Our home is near overhead high voltage lines, so every few years our pine tree needs to be trimmed. In the past, a certified tree company would do the trimming. This year, [5] men showed up to do the trimming. I was told that they were to cut the top [4] limbs. Instead, they cut off the top 1/3rd of the pine so that what is seen is literally a stump 100 feet in the air. What was once a magnificent pine is now hard to even look at. And to add insult to injury, the tree now runs the notable risk of being infected by tree-killing bark beetles. My mistake was not to ask for identification and to verify that they worked for a tree company. I didn't do that because of favorable past experience. But a truck with no logo on the door should have been a red flag to me, but I missed that clue. Too late now, but in the future I will always insist on identification.

Original review: June 30, 2019

After many years of paying my bills on time, this utility company continues to mislead and deceive its customers with policies that threaten our safety while maximizing profits and profit-taking for the executives. Where is the PUBLIC UTILITIES COMMISSION? Why has this abuse of the public continued? Where is the accountability in my area where 5 wildfires have decimated our county. Execs are busy taking deals in the bankruptcy while our rates increase, service decreases, we're left with the bill for natural disasters that killed people. Meanwhile, I'm expected to contribute to the dysfunctional mismanagement of our natural resources.

Original review: June 22, 2019

This company should be ashamed of themselves and I hope they rot in hell. To be pregnant and sitting in the dark to consistent power outages is really tiring. To speak to representatives who are unhelpful and express no empathy for their customers is unsettling and I have enough. The fact that this is the only company to utilize is very disappointing. This is the third outage in a area where consistent outages should not be happening. You have street lights down, where’s the safety in that? And they have no sense of urgency.

I am absolutely tired of this company and their lack of integrity as a business of this stature. They of course get away with it because they are the only company to use for electric and gas services...a company with no competitors will never give a damn. I hate them so much. They are just killing people and getting away with it, consistent issues with power lines starting fires and don’t get me started on the Tubbs Fire. How sickening. My heart breaks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pacific Gas and Electric?

Original review: May 25, 2019

Following the Camp Fire which destroyed the town of Paradise, CalFire concluded that faulty PG&E equipment and their failed infrastructure was the cause of this, California's worst fire in state history. Their response? Bankruptcy. Their plan going forward? To deprive as many as 5,000,000 (that's five million!) people of power on hot dry days when fire danger is high. This is absurd! In Chico and surrounding California areas there is no such thing as a summer day that is NOT hot and dry with high fire danger! How in the world are we supposed to live like this? How are businesses supposed to operate with no power? How are people supposed to stay informed or connected during emergencies without power to run their devices?

How are people supposed to keep their food and frozen food fresh when there is no power for days? This is not acceptable! They are basically declaring war on the citizens of California. The Camp Fire was their fault —— not ours! They should pay the price, not the citizens of California! The result will likely be millions of lawsuits by businesses and individual families that are hurt by this 3rd-world solution of theirs. How are we supposed to "prepare" for extended power outages? What are we supposed to do with perishable or frozen food? And what about all the stores, supermarkets, warehouses and delivery companies supposed to maintain their vast inventories of perishable food? Will PG&E pay to replace our food loses?

And what of those folks with disabilities and the elderly that have no heat tolerance and are reliant on air conditioning in order to survive the excessively hot Central Valley summers? PG&E has proven time and time again that their only concern is for their shareholders. They have neglected to maintain the power grid infrastructure over the years, have failed to follow through with 50-year-old plans to bury most power lines underground and have essentially thrown the entire state of California under the bus. And without people consuming power how is PG&E supposed to operate its own business so they can improve service to its customers? This is a very slippery slope they are creating, and all of us are on the verge of falling into the abyss.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I was billed twice and paid twice for apr. They won't reverse these bogus charges. I was involved in the Butte Mountain Fire in Jackson, CA, and was evacuated and almost lost our house. I now live in San Leandro, where in the past ten years, PG&E have murdered people in the San Mateo area and in the Paradise fire. They have cost people pain and suffering due to their unwillingness to keep their equipment up-to-date and to trim foliage away from their equipment. When I lived up near Jackson, in winter, there were constant outages due to limb breakage from snow heaviness. They couldn't be bothered to keep the trees trimmed, causing people to go for not only hours, but sometimes days without power. Same as with Paradise, CA.

Now they're being sued, and rightly so, so they're overcharging everyone and I know they're raising their rates to try to stay in business so they can steal even more money from their customers. Just shameful that the people running this operation are pocketing the money instead of caring about peoples' lives and possessions, not to mention the forest devastation and the poor wild animals that lost their lives in PG&E-responsible fires. SHAMEFUL, YOU MURDERING CHEATS AND LIARS!!!

Original review: April 12, 2019

My PG&E bill for last month was $497.00.. Double my average bill. I complained to the CPUC for this outrageous increase. Took time to fill out entire form and sent info to support my complaint. I have since received a response from PG&E which included my service statement for correct and corresponding usage (both electric & gas), Showing what the “smart meter” recorded. These figures do show an increase of usage but also confirm how much more I am now paying for each unit of energy. Also included in the letter response were rules and terse warning that I should not waste their time unless I had indisputable proof...whatever that means.

PG&E never offered to come out and check their “smart meter” etc. In other words like it or lump it. I also received a letter response from the CPUC stating virtually the same language... Totally agreeing with PG&E, What a waste of time.. The CPUC is definitely in the pocket of this corrupt utility that blew up one city (San Bruno..where I live), and burned down another town (Paradise) and are now passing on to the consumer the total cost of their shoddy maintenance and bad management. What is so appalling and wrong is that the regulatory agency that is suppose to protect the consumer from these types of abuses instead sides with the utility and passes the costs onto the powerless consumer. PG&E needs to be broken up and the CPUC needs to be replaced by a consumer protection agency that does its job. Please find, join and support established watchdog consumer groups to help these two goals come to be.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Feb 12, 2019 around 3 pm I called PG&E regarding a cable that was dangling low. They sent someone and cut the cable and left. I was expecting them to raise it but they didn’t as it was not their cable. It belonged to AT&T according to the supervisor that I spoke with. So we were left with no internet connection. The earliest date an AT&T technician is available is March 18. I find it heartless and lazy. It’s easier to cut down the ground than get a ladder and pull the cable up. I regret reporting it to PG&E. I wish they left it alone.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I live in Northern California and my PG&E bill went from 80 dollars in 2015 which I abused roughly on purpose! To get a feel for my new home's use and charges but it stayed under 100 dollars the whole year. Winter 2016 rates started to increase. Average bill 125-150. Winter 2017 250 dollar average bill. Winter 2018 250-350 average bill. Winter 2019 bill is 400-600 dollars and accumulating because I am forced to pay payments for this high of a bill. PGE claims I was using more gas therms and this raised the rate. They checked my home and claimed there was no leak however the gas fireplace was disconnected because it was deemed hazardous. I am waiting for repairman to come next week.

There is a rival company that just came in and took over the distribution here in Monterey but I suspect it is PG&E with a fake name. There is no one to stop this Monopoly! With all of our price gouging customers here we should be able to win a case in the supreme court to dismantle any monopoly and make PG&E a public utility! Meantime I curse all those involved, their families and future progeny for their evil! May they suffer great disease and suffering to accompany their ill achieved gain!

Pacific Gas and Electric Company Information