Texas

3.9/5 (179 ratings)

About Reliant Energy

Reliant Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Reliant Energy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Reliant Energy?

Original review: July 31, 2019

Because of my job I have had to move around different cities in Tx that require me to live in different apt complexes. I have lived in 4 different apartments in 7 years and I can now confirm that Reliant is literally the worst. It's really not even close. I've never been deceived or lied to more by any other company; my bill is also about 2.5 times more using Reliant than any other provider.

Original review: July 24, 2019

Customer service leaves a lot to be desired. I am on their autopay system and recently received a notice my payment didn't go through. I checked on the website, checked on the phone system, and spoke with a customer service agent who confirmed I had a zero balance and my payment went through. However, I had for some reason been removed from autopay and the woman argued with me that I had never been in autopay despite my having months worth of bank statements proving otherwise. She said she could reinstate autopay, but couldn't guarantee I wouldn't end up paying twice for that month. She had no explanation for why I would get such a notification about my payment not going through, guaranteed multiple times everything was fine, etc...

Weeks pass and I get an email saying my payment on the account hasn't been received and I have a week to pay or my power will be disconnected. What?!?! There wasn't ever a point the money was not in my bank account...this is ridiculous. And what kind of a heads up is that to someone (in the middle of summer, no less, with heat indexes over 108) if they actually don't have the money and need to do some finagling to get it? I call customer service and tell the guy the back story. Payment showed as paid online and via phone system, customer service guaranteed account was in good standing weeks ago. He doesn't care. Doesn't even look at the notes the previous person put in the system about the payment being credited to my account. He just tells me the day my power is going to be shut off and that I need to make a payment.

What else can I do at this point? So I pay it again and get put back on autopay to try to avoid this in the future. The guy fumbles through reading me the autopay agreement, gets my card number wrong and tries to tell me payment rejected. I make him do it again and read the card to him slowly, making him repeat it back. It goes through. The he forgets to hang up his line and I get to hear his conversation with another call center worker about how this time of night is "busy bro." Ugh...really...these people have no idea what is going on with your account and are trained poorly. Their word means nothing, they go strictly by what the screen in front of them says - right or wrong. Taking my business elsewhere.

Original review: July 14, 2019

A Reliant rep came to my house, promised an attractive rate, and I agreed to hear him out. After showing a good rate, I asked him to mail or email the plan in writing, that I absolutely was not going to decide at that time. I signed nothing. Within an hour I was hammered by emails from Reliant giving me new account info, and an email from my provider TXU saying my account was now closed, and I owed a $150 cancellation fee in addition to current charges. After 7 hours, I was told the "mistake" had been corrected, my service remains with TXU, no harm, no foul. Today, 11 days later, I find nothing has changed, my service remains with Reliant, and TXU only reiterates that I owe the cancellation fee. I am contemplating finding if this can be cause for criminal fraud charges.

Original review: July 9, 2019

I moved to a new place and the company I was with wasn’t available in my new area. I called Reliant. Set up service. Paid a $50 deposit and The next day was contacted stating they needed to verify my identity before starting service so I emailed the documents. I get another phone call stating there was an old account from 4 yrs ago with a balance of $66 that needed to be paid before I could start service.

First of all I had a prepaid account with them back in 2015 that I cancelled because it was just temporary to try the service out but we ended up choosing another provider so now I’m trying to understand why I have a balance from a prepaid account and now I’m 3 supervisors later and no one can explain to me why there is a balance. Then I speak with a supervisor who says she fixed the issue and is making sure I get a refund. Needless to stay I still have yet to receive a refund. Please do not do business with this company. You will never get deposits back. They will continue to lie to you each time you call in to customer service.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Someone signed up for an account at my old address. I called and was able to cancel services, but they refused to say how someone was able to sign up for services without my consent - only that there were "many ways" this could have happened. When pressed they continued to state the same thing and were completely unhelpful.

They stated that "You called on June 3rd" but refused to give me the number I supposedly called from. They put me on hold several times clearly talking with a supervisor but provided no information that could help me determine how someone was able to commit fraud, impersonate me and sign up for services without my consent. I called my old apartment complex and they confirmed that they did not have a new tenant. All of the above makes me suspect that someone within their company used my information to sign me up for an electricity plan illegally.

Original review: May 29, 2019

Reliant Energy is the worst ever. My bill has TRIPLED in the last month and it's only May and NO ONE is willing to help me out. I have called numerous times for assistance and they make no suggestions or are willing to help me out at all. DO NOT sign up with this company....their customer service is pitiful and they obviously do not care about keeping me as a customer.

Original review: May 26, 2019

The manager is very bad, arrogant and was not trying to help the consumer. Company billed 800$ for a 900 sq ft apt. The customer service is cunning. Their plans and their services are really penalizing people. Worst service ever.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Don't sign with Reliant energy. They are a terrible company. For starters they have poor customer service. Also the website is purposely confusing in how they don't let you know when your contract is up but will send out a notice about if you want to resign next year 2 months early. They at least could remind their customers that they aren't going to tell you when your contract is up but will charge you the $150 fine if you break contract. I didn't know what I was missing until I left them and now my provider gives me weekly emails about my power usage and bill estimation, so I don't have to log into the site to find out. What a smart idea! So don't go Reliant Energy. They don't care about their customers at all.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I called in to renew my electric service contract and did for a new twelve month period. The agent asked if I had a home security system. I affirmed that I did and he told me that Reliant also has a home security division and were running specials. I agreed to talk with an agent. The agent assured me that the home security service and the electric service were both provided by one company and that if I agreed to sign up for the security service it would be bundled with and a part of my electric services contract. I was quoted a fee of $39.99 a month for which I would receive a new touchscreen panel, a doorbell camera and one camera for the interior of the home. AND $15.00 a month discount for bundling with Reliant. I agreed, canceled my ADT account and eagerly awaited the arrival of the new system.

The installer arrived at the appointed time and was absolutely the gold standard in what every homeowner would want. He was neat, great personality, competent and accomplished the task in a timely manner. But here is where the rub starts. The installer had an iPad on which was displayed the details of the agreement. No paperwork that one can sit down and read, only the iPad which you would have to take from the installer and scroll through all the pages initialing or signing as needed. Awkard to say the least, and I did not do it. Then I get an email with the contracts (notice the plural) attached. Yes, there are two contracts and they are not bundled. The electric services contract is for the agreed on twelve-month period but the second and separate contract is for a thirty-six month period with none of the 'special' incentives detailed. Instead of the $39.99 quoted the contract is for $64.99 a month.

When I called to question this, I had to re-direct the conversation several times to get the agent on the same page, dealing with the issue of two different contracts at different rates than quoted. He assured me that all of the incentives would appear on my electric bill reducing the final fee to the agreed on terms but that their practice did not include putting that fact into the written contract. Now notice this. Remember the 12-month electric services contract I agreed to? Well, now those incentives that assure me of the quoted security monitoring fee are good only as long as I keep my electric service with Reliant, not for the twelve months but now for the thirty-six-month security contract. If not, then my security service goes to $64.99 a month for the remaining twenty-four months. AND, now I must accept their best offer rather than being free to bargain for the best electric charge.

In my opinion, this is a slick little maneuver that ensures you stay with Reliant or pay the cost. I am seventy-one years old and should have known better. But the truth is that I am not as alert as I once was, and failed to pick up on the fact that there are two separate contracts and that one modifies the other. This too shall pass and I will end my association with Reliant for once and all. In the meantime, I will make every effort to share my experience with Reliant Energy so others will not fall for the same spiel of one company, with one contract and incentives​ for bundling the electric and home security services.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I got nabbed at the airport; fast talker, knew his lines perfectly--I should have known better; I was told I could still be on the budget plan with NRG. My first bill was fantastic, almost $100 lower than usual. Then the next two bills were more than double what I normally pay. I called them and asked if I could be put on the budget plan; they said I had to call my electric company and they would be the ones to do this; I contact them, and was told that NRG should be the ones to do this.

Then I went to the NRG/Reliant website; there is a box for live chat. I wanted to chat with someone to see if I were to cancel what the fee would be (if any). I couldn't get the chat box to open or work. So I sent an email; the response I received was "The chat feature is only for customers in the Texas area." That's flagrantly unprofessional to say the least. In the same email I was told there was no fee to cancel, but that NRG would still show up on my next couple of bills. Now this month's bill is $100 higher still than my last bill! These people are dirty, underhanded, unprofessionals. Please don't get involved with them. If I could leave them a negative number of stars, I would.

Reliant Energy Company Information