Texas

2.5/5 (365 ratings)

About Reliant Energy

Reliant Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Reliant Energy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Reliant Energy?

Original review: July 19, 2021

Product was purchased in June 5, 2019 through Reliant Energy. According to the salesperson this was a good company. From the beginning it took a week for the installation. The installer changed the way the original installation should have been installed without my permission. Since that time the Air Conditioner have been serviced in 2020. It was service in April 2021 for the summer tune-up. In June 14, 2021 the air conditioner went out. Technician stated no Freon and bad battery needed to be replaced. In July 17, 2021 the fan needs to be replaced.

Since April 2021 Reliant relocated their service department. Since that time Reliant Energy has contracted out to Go Flow Plumbing and Air Conditioning which is a small Company trying to handle all these services. Go Flow schedules appointment they can't keep and never call you back to cancel nor reschedule the call. This is not professional and unacceptable to the consumer. I am only into 2 years paying on this unit and refuse to continue with this product and technician not being able to repair the unit that only works temporarily. Need Help.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

I was a customer of Reliant for several years when they offered me the Average Billing option. DO NOT ACCEPT AVERAGE BILLING. The idea is that if some months you will pay less than what you own and build up a debit on your account, other months you will either pay back that debit or build a credit. So far so good. The problem was the amount you pay will NEVER result in you building a credit. So instead of averaging my bills out, it just swapped them so I was paying a lot of money in the winter and very little in the summer. Also, it worked out that my contract always ended when the deferred amount was at it's peak. Meaning I either add to pay out several hundred dollars to leave Reliant, renew my contract (although I don't know what good that did as my prices still changed every month), or go to a monthly plan (where they could really jack my rates up).

Whenever I tried to complain about "Average Billing" not averaging my bills, I was met with the phone call equivalent of a shrug and complete disinterest from the customer service representative. I cannot recommend Reliant in any way and would recommend staying as far away from them and their shady business practices as possible.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

I was using Reliant energy from last 9 months and I tried to use less electricity as much as possible but my electricity bill goes up every month so I called reliant customer service. They said you have to be on contract with us to get less bill and I signed up contract with them for 12 month then also my electricity bill was higher than usual. Again I called customer service. They said, "You are not on our contract and currently we are charging you 13.9 cents per kwh." So I will recommend future residence not to take reliant energy as they mislead people. Within last 9 month I never found my electricity bill below 100$ so beware!! Even though if you will try to use less electricity you will not find less bill. Do not go with reliant energy.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

I opened my account 1 yr ago and so far their sales agents have used my name and info to open 6 other accounts. I have never given my consent, have called them several times, filed police reports, contacted gov identity theft etc.. and they haven't solved much now they want to charge me for those "people" electric consumption. Just DON'T go with this company. They will use your identity without your consent.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

The customer service agents like to hang up on you when they are asked a difficult question regarding charges. They also make sure to disconnect the call to make sure you cannot take the survey, which leaves someone like myself to leave reviews that can be found elsewhere about how terrible the service is. I would not recommend this provider to anyone and I will be buying my way out of my ridiculous service plan.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

HORRIBLE!!! VERY HIGH BILL!!! Since day 1.. They promised my bill would be lower than my previous electricity company.... LIES!!! DO NOT BELIEVE THEM!!! The bill just keeps increasing! DO NOT USE THESE PEOPLE!!! When you sell and move out of your home due to Covid and lack of income they hit you with a bill 3 times higher and force you to pay it with no options or help!! They have no regard as to what people are going through right now. The just want their money... POS company!!!

Original review: July 14, 2020

Worst electrical company I ve ever dealt with. I was so easy to talk me in with the bs "rates" which actually change based on how much you use. What a ripoff! As soon as I done with them I don't want o ever hear about them. No reminders about your bills, and as every professional person who has a busy lifestyle you forget sometimes to pay bills that are scheduled in the middle of the month. I haven't gotten a single mail from them nor email nor a text message to remind me I have a past due bill. I guess it is their little con to get it disconnected and the charge you $40 in disconnect/reconnect fees. "GOOD GOING"! Very ethical. I tried signing up for automatic payments but every time they tell me I have to talk to special department. I actually talked to them once and supposedly they saved my information but 2 months later - again - disconnection in middle of the day on a 100'F weather. I would definitely NOT recommend them!

Original review: June 15, 2020

If there's any way I can give them negative points, I will give them. I used Reliant services for almost a year. I barely used electricity and my bill every month was $25-40. Even in mid summer of 100s temperature, I used to get $30-40 every month. Part of the reason was I was always traveling and I was never home to use the electricity.

In January, I was home for 4 days and they billed me $123. I called them and questioned and they said that they can re-read the meter. They failed to adjust that bill and I ended up paying. Meanwhile, they were sending me emails to renew my contract. The following month, I was in Guatemala on work and I received an email mentioning how last week my energy usage was high. I hadn't been home for 2 weeks. I lived in very high security building in Houston, I had motion cameras in my house. I knew nobody had entered my apartment so how could I be receiving high energy usage email? I came back after 3 weeks and called Reliant and mentioned that I can provide them my airline tickets, Passport stamps to prove I wasn't home and there had been a mistake. If they could re-read the meter and adjust my $190 bill (for February) that they sent me for using electricity.

Meanwhile, I had to move out for work purposes out of state and I called and disconnected the services and kept on trying to resolve this problem. They gave me a run around and instead of coming to a resolution, they sent my bill to collection without getting back with a resolution. I will be taking a case against them to customer court. I have reported them to BBB so this matter can be looked into so, there are many others who have been victimized by this company can seek justice.

Original review: May 22, 2020

No one has lived in the property since I bought it four months ago. My bill has been 10-20 dollars a month. No AC on and the only electricity being used was to paint and landscape. That stopped about a month ago. I got the bill today and it was 210. Basically customer service said someone was stealing electricity or the meter was not working properly. They said I would have to call Texas/New Mexico to dispute the charge. If I have to do everything to resolve the issue then why on earth do I need to pay Reliant. I wish we could just buy electricity from TNMP. Reliant is useless.... THANK the Lord I fired them!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I have been a Reliant customer for 5 years. I move two and then I noticed my energy bills increasing. I complained but reliant could do nothing. I turned off everything from the panel and signed up to smarter meter Texas. Well the meter kept going center point. Said that there was nothing wrong with the meter. My bill for 32 days just me. And I don't cook at home. I don't have washer and dryer at home. I don't use the dishwasher and I have a fireplace. I very seldom use the heater. My hot water heater is low on 120 degrees. My bill came out to $300 for 32 days. I cannot pay them. They are price gouging me. So I will let them disconnect my lights because if I pay them they will just send me another much higher bill so I am done with them.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

My son and self moved into our 2 bedroom 1 bathroom house (less than 800sq ft) at the beginning of 2019, and our landlord recommended as Reliant as "one of the cheapest energy providers". I naively and blindly called Reliant to set up service. I spoke to a rude and uninformed woman (and the manager who called me a week later about my complaint about this representative was also rude and unprofessional) who sounded like she was taking my call in the middle of a daycare. After trying to make me pay a 500$ NON REFUNDABLE deposit, she was able to "come up" with a 75$ non refundable deposit option with their "Free Nights" scam - I mean plan. She told me it would be 17 cents per kWh (because at the time my credit was on the lower side), and quickly made me sign their e-documents before I had a chance to really read their terms of service. So I finalized the paperwork, and established service to our new home.

Firstly, a deposit because of lower credit should always be refundable if on time payments are made by the customer, which mine were always paid early. Secondly, I was quoted and told 17c/kWh, but it was actually 25 cents per kWh under the guise that my nights were free. Thirdly, low credit should never mean a higher kWh price, and that is straight up taking advantage of a single mom who had fallen on temporarily hard times.

After I received our first month's bill of 200$ for our teeny tiny home, I was a little worried, but not terribly so...until I steadily watched our electric bill climb from 200, to 300, to over 400$ a month for our little home! We are energy efficient, but not according to Reliant's lying app. We have all brand new energy efficient windows, appliances, and LED light bulbs for every light fixture. We did laundry at night during our "free hours", and we kept the HVAC at 80 degrees in the summer and 60 degrees during the winter. We even had our water heater and HVAC serviced twice to see if we had any problems to create such high bills. We had the insulation and home checked for any areas that could be causing a draft. Everything was in working order.

Since they had locked me into a 12 month contract with an early termination fee, we froze and sweat in the dark all year, just waiting for our sweet release from these con artists. Finally the day has come where we have been freed from their overpriced clutches, and now have a green energy provider who has cut our electricity bill to a third of what Reliant was charging us! And guess what? ZERO deposit. Stay far, far away from these deceptive, rude con artists. There a dozen other providers that are reliable, friendly and a third of the cost. I wish I had done my research sooner rather than later (and that is my own fault), but I am hoping by sharing my experience I can at least prevent some innocents from being taken advantage of by this mega corporation. I will never use Reliant again, and I will continue to warn every person I know and meet of their deceptive practices and ungodly pricing.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

Like many of you here I was scammed by Reliant as well. It may not be the same thing as someone calling you trying to extort money from you do to some "crime" you unknowingly supposedly committed, but none-the-less a true corporate scam. Up until December of 2019 I had been a Reliant customer for 10+ years. Back in the day $.09/Kwh was a good deal and understanding that over the years a slight increase was to be expected we were relatively happy with what we were paying.

Well, in December of 2017 I decided to switch over to the Average billing plan under the "now known misconception" that the plan would simply help level out my electricity charges between the higher and lower months. The way they sell it is that you have a more consistent monthly charge as the electricity use fluctuates. That couldn't be farther from the truth. Not only where the charges not consistent, they were becoming scary and we'd become anxious thinking about how high the next bill was going to be. I should have never made the switch.

The only thing that was consistent about the "Average" excuse me, I mean "Deferred" billing, was the much higher monthly bill! Also like most of you I called and asked questions when I was surprised the increased charges only to have them explain some elaborate explanation obviously created by some former banker with a knack for screwing people over. Look, I'm a Sr. Software Engineer, if I can't understand it, then how the hell is someone who's not mathematically inclined going to understand it? And that's what they are "banking" on, pun intended.

Ok so now that I'm done with my little rant, here are some numbers. I'll give a comparison between 2018 & 2019, in 2018 I was not on Deferred Billing, in 2019 I was. I'll also add that between the two years we did not have any major changes in the way we consumed electricity and did not change or replace any major appliances or air conditioning/heating. Now the numbers....

Total Electricity Charges for the Year

2018: $328.43
2019: $537.66
Diff: $209.23

Incr: 63.70%

The numbers speak for themselves. There is absolutely no reason that by joining a program to average out my monthly payments that my monthly payments would increase by 63.70%. I want to thank you if you've read this review and hopefully you read it before getting screwed over. If it helps one person avoid this corporate scam then writing it was more than just venting.

-AB

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I have been a customer of Reliant for many years, apparently not a valued one. I had signed up for the Average Billing to help budget monthly expenses. When I had had enough of paying $0.19/Kw, I decided to switch to another company. I received my final Reliant bill and it was over $850! I called and they said that I had a deferred balance and it was due since I cancelled my service. Where did the 'deferred' even come from!?! They explained that "true" average billing was called "Balanced Billing" and I was on "Average Billing" which accrues a deferred balance - What??? Needless to say, they would not work with me, I still owe the $850+ and am now looking for another provider.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

I cancelled my Reliant account after my 1-year contract because I moved and found a cheaper, better option. When I received my final bill in the mail I promptly paid it. A few weeks later I received a red letter from them saying I owe them $50 even though the account was already paid in full. When I called to inquire what the bill was for I was passed around and put on hold for over 45 minutes. The phone call was over an hour and they refused to remove the fees and even got combative over the phone indicating they were not at fault and I had to pay. Unprofessional, unreliable, and rude company. Will never use them again.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

Left Reliant for 1 year due to their unfair rates with existing customers. Had the same problem with TXU, so I returned to Reliant in 12 months. Reliant refused to utilize previous account history to calculate average billing, despite stating on the website they use 11 months previous history plus current month's bill divided by 12. Their Customer Service staff and supervisors are either incapable or unwilling to perform basic math, and are unwilling, are incapable of articulating how the average billing is determined. They further refused to allow me to switch providers without penalty despite their failure to honor their own published policy.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

I was a Reliant customer for one year switching from my previous energy provider. After three months the charges became extremely high and Reliant told me best to put me on a plan that will level out my monthly payments because I obviously didn't had a fixed plan so they charged me the highest rate possible. I used about 3000kw monthly and the bills were running as high as $450. After the contract was up I decided to leave and they billed me $580 for the last month - adding a "balance due from billing plan into it". I never had anything like this happen with any other energy provider.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

A salesman came to my door and rang the bell. I have a sign up “No Sales”. So I thought it must be a neighbor. It was NOT. It was a Reliant salesman. My sign was gone. He tried to get me to change who sends my electric bill promising to remove the transmissions fees. I would not be changing companies, just changing who bills me. I asked for a brochure, he said no. I asked for a business card, he said no. As we were talking, I saw my doormat had been moved a little. I picked it up to straighten it out.... There was my sign. He had removed it and hide it under the doormat. These Reliant salesman will tell you anything to get the business. They need to be stopped!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

I tried to switch from Reliant to Life Energy. However, Reliant put in a move-out order (which I was not doing nor said I was doing) which cancelled out the request for Life Energy. Now, I am just getting all the bills and fees (over $200) from being without a service provider (unknowingly) for 3-4 months timeframe. Reliant has admitted their part on this. They have provided unprofessional customer service during the whole ordeal and is not taking responsibility to help me recoup from this unfortunate circumstance. They do not seem to care about customers and have lost one for life.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

Ever since I have been a customer of this company, I have had serious problem. They offered a $600.00 bonus to switch electricity to them. I am not sure if I even received the first $300.00 of that bonus, but in fairness there was a month or two where I did not get a bill a year or so ago. Then I called and talked to someone, trying to get help figuring out why my payments went up $30.00 when I had a cheap plan and expected to pay around $30 or maybe $40, I had also received a billing for $145 for the month of July. I know it is hot in Texas where I live, but with the promised budged plan it is hard for me to pay that much more in one month.

My A/C sits on 78 degrees, which is hot and my dryer is natural gas, so my bill is usually much lower than most people's. I was told that I had to pay the $145 amount first and then the second half of the bonus would be applied. This makes no sense at all. I had problems understanding the representative because of a very heavy accent and I had to ask several times to even get that explanation - so what she told me did not make sense. So now I am stuck in this contract and cannot leave because they will charge $300 to cancel early.

If I do not pay, they will turn off the lights. I suffer from COPD and other health problems, I also try to live on the small amount I receive monthly from Social Security. There is no help available around here, so now I am ready to pull out my hair worrying about this bill. The contract runs out next year and I am positive that I will switch companies. Never ever sign on with these people. Customer Service is apparently not run locally, so you are calling overseas somewhere trying to talk to someone. I once made a mistake and by payment was $3.00 short and they threatened to turn off my electricity. I feel any company is better and more concerned than Reliant Energy.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

Reliant Energy will offer you lower rate and when you select their service they will jack the price to 200$ and if you want to cancel it they will charge you 100$ cancellation fees. This is classic example of switch and bait.

Original review: July 31, 2019

Because of my job I have had to move around different cities in Tx that require me to live in different apt complexes. I have lived in 4 different apartments in 7 years and I can now confirm that Reliant is literally the worst. It's really not even close. I've never been deceived or lied to more by any other company; my bill is also about 2.5 times more using Reliant than any other provider.

Original review: July 24, 2019

Customer service leaves a lot to be desired. I am on their autopay system and recently received a notice my payment didn't go through. I checked on the website, checked on the phone system, and spoke with a customer service agent who confirmed I had a zero balance and my payment went through. However, I had for some reason been removed from autopay and the woman argued with me that I had never been in autopay despite my having months worth of bank statements proving otherwise. She said she could reinstate autopay, but couldn't guarantee I wouldn't end up paying twice for that month. She had no explanation for why I would get such a notification about my payment not going through, guaranteed multiple times everything was fine, etc...

Weeks pass and I get an email saying my payment on the account hasn't been received and I have a week to pay or my power will be disconnected. What?!?! There wasn't ever a point the money was not in my bank account...this is ridiculous. And what kind of a heads up is that to someone (in the middle of summer, no less, with heat indexes over 108) if they actually don't have the money and need to do some finagling to get it? I call customer service and tell the guy the back story. Payment showed as paid online and via phone system, customer service guaranteed account was in good standing weeks ago. He doesn't care. Doesn't even look at the notes the previous person put in the system about the payment being credited to my account. He just tells me the day my power is going to be shut off and that I need to make a payment.

What else can I do at this point? So I pay it again and get put back on autopay to try to avoid this in the future. The guy fumbles through reading me the autopay agreement, gets my card number wrong and tries to tell me payment rejected. I make him do it again and read the card to him slowly, making him repeat it back. It goes through. The he forgets to hang up his line and I get to hear his conversation with another call center worker about how this time of night is "busy bro." Ugh...really...these people have no idea what is going on with your account and are trained poorly. Their word means nothing, they go strictly by what the screen in front of them says - right or wrong. Taking my business elsewhere.

Original review: July 14, 2019

A Reliant rep came to my house, promised an attractive rate, and I agreed to hear him out. After showing a good rate, I asked him to mail or email the plan in writing, that I absolutely was not going to decide at that time. I signed nothing. Within an hour I was hammered by emails from Reliant giving me new account info, and an email from my provider TXU saying my account was now closed, and I owed a $150 cancellation fee in addition to current charges. After 7 hours, I was told the "mistake" had been corrected, my service remains with TXU, no harm, no foul. Today, 11 days later, I find nothing has changed, my service remains with Reliant, and TXU only reiterates that I owe the cancellation fee. I am contemplating finding if this can be cause for criminal fraud charges.

Original review: July 9, 2019

I moved to a new place and the company I was with wasn’t available in my new area. I called Reliant. Set up service. Paid a $50 deposit and The next day was contacted stating they needed to verify my identity before starting service so I emailed the documents. I get another phone call stating there was an old account from 4 yrs ago with a balance of $66 that needed to be paid before I could start service.

First of all I had a prepaid account with them back in 2015 that I cancelled because it was just temporary to try the service out but we ended up choosing another provider so now I’m trying to understand why I have a balance from a prepaid account and now I’m 3 supervisors later and no one can explain to me why there is a balance. Then I speak with a supervisor who says she fixed the issue and is making sure I get a refund. Needless to stay I still have yet to receive a refund. Please do not do business with this company. You will never get deposits back. They will continue to lie to you each time you call in to customer service.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Someone signed up for an account at my old address. I called and was able to cancel services, but they refused to say how someone was able to sign up for services without my consent - only that there were "many ways" this could have happened. When pressed they continued to state the same thing and were completely unhelpful.

They stated that "You called on June 3rd" but refused to give me the number I supposedly called from. They put me on hold several times clearly talking with a supervisor but provided no information that could help me determine how someone was able to commit fraud, impersonate me and sign up for services without my consent. I called my old apartment complex and they confirmed that they did not have a new tenant. All of the above makes me suspect that someone within their company used my information to sign me up for an electricity plan illegally.

Original review: May 29, 2019

Reliant Energy is the worst ever. My bill has TRIPLED in the last month and it's only May and NO ONE is willing to help me out. I have called numerous times for assistance and they make no suggestions or are willing to help me out at all. DO NOT sign up with this company....their customer service is pitiful and they obviously do not care about keeping me as a customer.

Original review: May 26, 2019

The manager is very bad, arrogant and was not trying to help the consumer. Company billed 800$ for a 900 sq ft apt. The customer service is cunning. Their plans and their services are really penalizing people. Worst service ever.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Don't sign with Reliant energy. They are a terrible company. For starters they have poor customer service. Also the website is purposely confusing in how they don't let you know when your contract is up but will send out a notice about if you want to resign next year 2 months early. They at least could remind their customers that they aren't going to tell you when your contract is up but will charge you the $150 fine if you break contract. I didn't know what I was missing until I left them and now my provider gives me weekly emails about my power usage and bill estimation, so I don't have to log into the site to find out. What a smart idea! So don't go Reliant Energy. They don't care about their customers at all.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I called in to renew my electric service contract and did for a new twelve month period. The agent asked if I had a home security system. I affirmed that I did and he told me that Reliant also has a home security division and were running specials. I agreed to talk with an agent. The agent assured me that the home security service and the electric service were both provided by one company and that if I agreed to sign up for the security service it would be bundled with and a part of my electric services contract. I was quoted a fee of $39.99 a month for which I would receive a new touchscreen panel, a doorbell camera and one camera for the interior of the home. AND $15.00 a month discount for bundling with Reliant. I agreed, canceled my ADT account and eagerly awaited the arrival of the new system.

The installer arrived at the appointed time and was absolutely the gold standard in what every homeowner would want. He was neat, great personality, competent and accomplished the task in a timely manner. But here is where the rub starts. The installer had an iPad on which was displayed the details of the agreement. No paperwork that one can sit down and read, only the iPad which you would have to take from the installer and scroll through all the pages initialing or signing as needed. Awkard to say the least, and I did not do it. Then I get an email with the contracts (notice the plural) attached. Yes, there are two contracts and they are not bundled. The electric services contract is for the agreed on twelve-month period but the second and separate contract is for a thirty-six month period with none of the 'special' incentives detailed. Instead of the $39.99 quoted the contract is for $64.99 a month.

When I called to question this, I had to re-direct the conversation several times to get the agent on the same page, dealing with the issue of two different contracts at different rates than quoted. He assured me that all of the incentives would appear on my electric bill reducing the final fee to the agreed on terms but that their practice did not include putting that fact into the written contract. Now notice this. Remember the 12-month electric services contract I agreed to? Well, now those incentives that assure me of the quoted security monitoring fee are good only as long as I keep my electric service with Reliant, not for the twelve months but now for the thirty-six-month security contract. If not, then my security service goes to $64.99 a month for the remaining twenty-four months. AND, now I must accept their best offer rather than being free to bargain for the best electric charge.

In my opinion, this is a slick little maneuver that ensures you stay with Reliant or pay the cost. I am seventy-one years old and should have known better. But the truth is that I am not as alert as I once was, and failed to pick up on the fact that there are two separate contracts and that one modifies the other. This too shall pass and I will end my association with Reliant for once and all. In the meantime, I will make every effort to share my experience with Reliant Energy so others will not fall for the same spiel of one company, with one contract and incentives​ for bundling the electric and home security services.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I got nabbed at the airport; fast talker, knew his lines perfectly--I should have known better; I was told I could still be on the budget plan with NRG. My first bill was fantastic, almost $100 lower than usual. Then the next two bills were more than double what I normally pay. I called them and asked if I could be put on the budget plan; they said I had to call my electric company and they would be the ones to do this; I contact them, and was told that NRG should be the ones to do this.

Then I went to the NRG/Reliant website; there is a box for live chat. I wanted to chat with someone to see if I were to cancel what the fee would be (if any). I couldn't get the chat box to open or work. So I sent an email; the response I received was "The chat feature is only for customers in the Texas area." That's flagrantly unprofessional to say the least. In the same email I was told there was no fee to cancel, but that NRG would still show up on my next couple of bills. Now this month's bill is $100 higher still than my last bill! These people are dirty, underhanded, unprofessionals. Please don't get involved with them. If I could leave them a negative number of stars, I would.

Reliant Energy Company Information