Texas

3.9/5 (179 ratings)

About Reliant Energy

Reliant Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Reliant Energy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Reliant Energy?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

My son and self moved into our 2 bedroom 1 bathroom house (less than 800sq ft) at the beginning of 2019, and our landlord recommended as Reliant as "one of the cheapest energy providers". I naively and blindly called Reliant to set up service. I spoke to a rude and uninformed woman (and the manager who called me a week later about my complaint about this representative was also rude and unprofessional) who sounded like she was taking my call in the middle of a daycare. After trying to make me pay a 500$ NON REFUNDABLE deposit, she was able to "come up" with a 75$ non refundable deposit option with their "Free Nights" scam - I mean plan. She told me it would be 17 cents per kWh (because at the time my credit was on the lower side), and quickly made me sign their e-documents before I had a chance to really read their terms of service. So I finalized the paperwork, and established service to our new home.

Firstly, a deposit because of lower credit should always be refundable if on time payments are made by the customer, which mine were always paid early. Secondly, I was quoted and told 17c/kWh, but it was actually 25 cents per kWh under the guise that my nights were free. Thirdly, low credit should never mean a higher kWh price, and that is straight up taking advantage of a single mom who had fallen on temporarily hard times.

After I received our first month's bill of 200$ for our teeny tiny home, I was a little worried, but not terribly so...until I steadily watched our electric bill climb from 200, to 300, to over 400$ a month for our little home! We are energy efficient, but not according to Reliant's lying app. We have all brand new energy efficient windows, appliances, and LED light bulbs for every light fixture. We did laundry at night during our "free hours", and we kept the HVAC at 80 degrees in the summer and 60 degrees during the winter. We even had our water heater and HVAC serviced twice to see if we had any problems to create such high bills. We had the insulation and home checked for any areas that could be causing a draft. Everything was in working order.

Since they had locked me into a 12 month contract with an early termination fee, we froze and sweat in the dark all year, just waiting for our sweet release from these con artists. Finally the day has come where we have been freed from their overpriced clutches, and now have a green energy provider who has cut our electricity bill to a third of what Reliant was charging us! And guess what? ZERO deposit. Stay far, far away from these deceptive, rude con artists. There a dozen other providers that are reliable, friendly and a third of the cost. I wish I had done my research sooner rather than later (and that is my own fault), but I am hoping by sharing my experience I can at least prevent some innocents from being taken advantage of by this mega corporation. I will never use Reliant again, and I will continue to warn every person I know and meet of their deceptive practices and ungodly pricing.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

Like many of you here I was scammed by Reliant as well. It may not be the same thing as someone calling you trying to extort money from you do to some "crime" you unknowingly supposedly committed, but none-the-less a true corporate scam. Up until December of 2019 I had been a Reliant customer for 10+ years. Back in the day $.09/Kwh was a good deal and understanding that over the years a slight increase was to be expected we were relatively happy with what we were paying.

Well, in December of 2017 I decided to switch over to the Average billing plan under the "now known misconception" that the plan would simply help level out my electricity charges between the higher and lower months. The way they sell it is that you have a more consistent monthly charge as the electricity use fluctuates. That couldn't be farther from the truth. Not only where the charges not consistent, they were becoming scary and we'd become anxious thinking about how high the next bill was going to be. I should have never made the switch.

The only thing that was consistent about the "Average" excuse me, I mean "Deferred" billing, was the much higher monthly bill! Also like most of you I called and asked questions when I was surprised the increased charges only to have them explain some elaborate explanation obviously created by some former banker with a knack for screwing people over. Look, I'm a Sr. Software Engineer, if I can't understand it, then how the hell is someone who's not mathematically inclined going to understand it? And that's what they are "banking" on, pun intended.

Ok so now that I'm done with my little rant, here are some numbers. I'll give a comparison between 2018 & 2019, in 2018 I was not on Deferred Billing, in 2019 I was. I'll also add that between the two years we did not have any major changes in the way we consumed electricity and did not change or replace any major appliances or air conditioning/heating. Now the numbers....

Total Electricity Charges for the Year

2018: $328.43
2019: $537.66
Diff: $209.23

Incr: 63.70%

The numbers speak for themselves. There is absolutely no reason that by joining a program to average out my monthly payments that my monthly payments would increase by 63.70%. I want to thank you if you've read this review and hopefully you read it before getting screwed over. If it helps one person avoid this corporate scam then writing it was more than just venting.

-AB

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I have been a customer of Reliant for many years, apparently not a valued one. I had signed up for the Average Billing to help budget monthly expenses. When I had had enough of paying $0.19/Kw, I decided to switch to another company. I received my final Reliant bill and it was over $850! I called and they said that I had a deferred balance and it was due since I cancelled my service. Where did the 'deferred' even come from!?! They explained that "true" average billing was called "Balanced Billing" and I was on "Average Billing" which accrues a deferred balance - What??? Needless to say, they would not work with me, I still owe the $850+ and am now looking for another provider.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

I cancelled my Reliant account after my 1-year contract because I moved and found a cheaper, better option. When I received my final bill in the mail I promptly paid it. A few weeks later I received a red letter from them saying I owe them $50 even though the account was already paid in full. When I called to inquire what the bill was for I was passed around and put on hold for over 45 minutes. The phone call was over an hour and they refused to remove the fees and even got combative over the phone indicating they were not at fault and I had to pay. Unprofessional, unreliable, and rude company. Will never use them again.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

Left Reliant for 1 year due to their unfair rates with existing customers. Had the same problem with TXU, so I returned to Reliant in 12 months. Reliant refused to utilize previous account history to calculate average billing, despite stating on the website they use 11 months previous history plus current month's bill divided by 12. Their Customer Service staff and supervisors are either incapable or unwilling to perform basic math, and are unwilling, are incapable of articulating how the average billing is determined. They further refused to allow me to switch providers without penalty despite their failure to honor their own published policy.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

I was a Reliant customer for one year switching from my previous energy provider. After three months the charges became extremely high and Reliant told me best to put me on a plan that will level out my monthly payments because I obviously didn't had a fixed plan so they charged me the highest rate possible. I used about 3000kw monthly and the bills were running as high as $450. After the contract was up I decided to leave and they billed me $580 for the last month - adding a "balance due from billing plan into it". I never had anything like this happen with any other energy provider.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

A salesman came to my door and rang the bell. I have a sign up “No Sales”. So I thought it must be a neighbor. It was NOT. It was a Reliant salesman. My sign was gone. He tried to get me to change who sends my electric bill promising to remove the transmissions fees. I would not be changing companies, just changing who bills me. I asked for a brochure, he said no. I asked for a business card, he said no. As we were talking, I saw my doormat had been moved a little. I picked it up to straighten it out.... There was my sign. He had removed it and hide it under the doormat. These Reliant salesman will tell you anything to get the business. They need to be stopped!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

I tried to switch from Reliant to Life Energy. However, Reliant put in a move-out order (which I was not doing nor said I was doing) which cancelled out the request for Life Energy. Now, I am just getting all the bills and fees (over $200) from being without a service provider (unknowingly) for 3-4 months timeframe. Reliant has admitted their part on this. They have provided unprofessional customer service during the whole ordeal and is not taking responsibility to help me recoup from this unfortunate circumstance. They do not seem to care about customers and have lost one for life.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

Ever since I have been a customer of this company, I have had serious problem. They offered a $600.00 bonus to switch electricity to them. I am not sure if I even received the first $300.00 of that bonus, but in fairness there was a month or two where I did not get a bill a year or so ago. Then I called and talked to someone, trying to get help figuring out why my payments went up $30.00 when I had a cheap plan and expected to pay around $30 or maybe $40, I had also received a billing for $145 for the month of July. I know it is hot in Texas where I live, but with the promised budged plan it is hard for me to pay that much more in one month.

My A/C sits on 78 degrees, which is hot and my dryer is natural gas, so my bill is usually much lower than most people's. I was told that I had to pay the $145 amount first and then the second half of the bonus would be applied. This makes no sense at all. I had problems understanding the representative because of a very heavy accent and I had to ask several times to even get that explanation - so what she told me did not make sense. So now I am stuck in this contract and cannot leave because they will charge $300 to cancel early.

If I do not pay, they will turn off the lights. I suffer from COPD and other health problems, I also try to live on the small amount I receive monthly from Social Security. There is no help available around here, so now I am ready to pull out my hair worrying about this bill. The contract runs out next year and I am positive that I will switch companies. Never ever sign on with these people. Customer Service is apparently not run locally, so you are calling overseas somewhere trying to talk to someone. I once made a mistake and by payment was $3.00 short and they threatened to turn off my electricity. I feel any company is better and more concerned than Reliant Energy.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

Reliant Energy will offer you lower rate and when you select their service they will jack the price to 200$ and if you want to cancel it they will charge you 100$ cancellation fees. This is classic example of switch and bait.

Reliant Energy Company Information