Tampa Electric

Florida

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I started service with Teco Jan 2017. Since I moved into my condo they have not mailed me a single bill. Three months into my service I receive an automated message stating that my service was going to be disconnected. I contacted their customer service immediately and made sure that my bill was paid in full. I asked customer service why was I not receiving any bills? They told me that they were not sure but they showed on file that my bills were being returned. I verified with them my address and they said it was correct. I would assume so since they are billing me for services rendered.

Today is May 23rd 2017 and I get home from a long flight a little after 11 PM to my condo that has no electricity. I called to see if there was a power outage and the automated system said that my service disconnection was due to a past due bill. I hurry to my mailbox just to verify if I received any notification but after all these months I still have not received a single bill. Luckily my phone had 43% battery and I used it as a hotspot so I would be able to log into my online account and it says that my service was disconnected. I made sure to pay my bill in full but they have no emergency contact number to get my electric back on.

It is now May 24, 2017, 2:24 AM. I'm laying next to my sliding door hoping to avoid heat exhaustion. I've been out of town for 10 days and everything that I had in my refrigerator has spoiled which has left an awful smell in my home. I now have to wait until they turn my electric back on and all of this could have been avoided if they would just send me my bill. I understand that it is my responsibility to make sure my utilities are paid but I rely on receiving a monthly notification via email or a mailed hard copy as a reminder. They charge for delivery of bills so that is their responsibility to get monthly billing to the customer.

If I could sue them for the extreme inconvenience, the extremely hot sleepless night, and for the spoiled food I would and then some. We live in the state of Florida and they should be prepared to turn on services within a couple hours. It could be life or death for many and I can't imagine why they would not have that in order. Such a disappointment.

We moved to Florida and tried to establish an online TECO account - twice, for residential service. We have a excellent credit rating. They were converting from one system to another. End result, neither the first or second account would let us log on. They have now terminated our ability to pay by phone, making us drive 30 minutes to pay our bill IN CASH! Horrible service, horrible technical support, no customer concern whatsoever. We plan to make a formal complaint, and request an investigation.

Teco has created two accounts for me. Under one account # have been paying every month. The other account # they have listed me as never have made a payment and past due $300.00. I have proof via bank statement that I have paid them. Now that I have set up my online account. The information from the other account # that I have been paying monthly. Magically disappeared as if I never paid. Teco has lost all my trust in them because they have shirty and thieves for employees that create this kind of problems so they can embezzled money to put in their own pocket.

TECO has constant power hits. Why do I even have to give them one star... 1 star implies they are least doing ONE thing right. I live in South Tampa, down near MacDill AFB. I think I average a power hit or surge about once a week. Had another one at 9:21 am this morning, took my home network 10 minutes to recover. One of these days they are going to blow my TV or one of my many computers in the house. About 50% are soft hits (some devices reset) and others are hard hits (where every electronic device resets). It's the hard hits that are the most dangerous and no surge protectors or battery backups will ever offer 100% protection against hard hits. No joke... averages about once a week. I have lived in a lot of locations, never have I seen so many power hits and outages as TECO has. Probably more in the last 4 years than in all my previous 12 cities/locations (over 44 years) combined.

I have been with TECO just recently and never had a problem until I tried to reinstall electric in a home I had recently lived in (and returned to a mere 3 weeks later). This time a very RUDE lady with an "attitude" acted as though I was a criminal. No matter how much ID I gave her INCL. my former TECO acct.#...it was never enough. She kept me on the phone for 20 mins (and I have ltd. mins. on my phone). She said they had to "know" me for a full two years, regardless of my previous good standing with them, in order to "trust" me! Imagine!! She actually "threatened" to call the credit agencies "unless" I would pay a hefty deposit...I think $100-200 dollars...and made it sound like an actual THREAT.

This is highly UNNECESSARY behavior for ANY utility company...and I had been with them a few years ago, and I do not remember THIS kind of treatment then. She sounded like an older lady, and I wish I had gotten her name. I do not know what changed; but this company treats its customers HORRIBLY; and I don't know what truly "needy" people must go through, if 'ordinary' retired seniors are treated in this manner? They have turned into a nasty, HORRIBLE company! Go elsewhere IF you can!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tampa Electric?

I signed in a month ago. Had a problem. They now change how you sign in with a password. So I created a new sign in. They sent me a bill last month. Oh I'm trying to sign in today and can't get in. My computer allows me to save my sign in and password along with my account number. Unfortunately now that don't work. Tampa Electric is telling me it's the wrong account. I had the same account for five years. They keep changing things and it messes everything up. I emailed them with a complaint. They make it very difficult for anyone to get online and pay your bill.

I spent 4 hours today trying to contact customer service with TECO. Each time I was placed on hold for 30+ minutes only to have the call disconnected. I even tried the emergency line and the same thing happened. Every time in the past that I've tried to reach a representative with TECO I experience the same thing. When I do finally get in contact with someone they are of little or no help and are rude. Simply need to update my online account info. This should not be such a hard thing to do. If I had an option for my electric needs I would leave this company in a heartbeat!!!!

I already paid 2 deposits and I've been behind on my bill since they did that. Let me just say me, my boyfriend and my two kids lived in this house for a year, last year in Nov I paid my deposit. They charged me another $140 deposit in May because my k Watts went up. Am I the only that aware that there's always a time of year when you have to use more electricity in Florida to keep your house cool? This was setup to make us fail. I called them today to ask why they're going to raise my bill again. They said, "Well you haven't been paying your bill on time, you've been a week behind every month." I told them it's because the extra deposit I've been behind on everything since then. He said he finds it hard to believe that's why I'm behind on my bills and said I need to get my priorities straight...

Before the second deposit my bill was never paid late not once and this is how I get treated. Not to mention in May when they charged us the second deposit my boyfriend's mom was dying in hospice and they shut off our power while we were visiting her... We had to call them stay on the line 'cause they were closing for the weekend. My boyfriend ran while on the phone to Amscot paid $200 which was our electric bill charge. But they said they need the deposit as well as our monthly bill and without that they wouldn't turn it back. That was all our money. We told them we have a 6 month old in the house. They said they don't care. They need the whole balance or the power will be shut off when we return home for the whole weekend. I grabbed a loan for the extra 150 not that info was of their business but tell me I don't have my priority straight after paying on time and getting screwed over and paying basically a double bill...

I was like wtf do you mean? I have 2 credit card bills, electric, and my weekly rent. My bills get paid before I can even put gas in my car. How about Teco gets its ** together? If another company pops up y'all can kiss my ass. I'll be there first one to leave Teco and I'll be happy AF. (Btw I've had Teco for 4 years at my other house and never had this rudeness. Never once had a late payment. They never raised my deposit before. Either this is all new to me and they're doing it for the second time next month...) They use to care if you had a baby in the house. They would turn it back on for you. Now they don't give a **. Probably just pissed because we didn't pass the law allowing them to charge us for solar. Wtf you wanna charge me for air to breath too?

Typical TECO, they can't keep our power on for more than a few days without an outage or glitch that resets clocks and security lights but after eleven years of service with them they just sent us a deposit demand for $110 or disconnect. Hands down the worst utilities company I have dealt with in my fifty years and four countries. They need prosecuted for blackmailing customers into giving them money for no apparent reason. Horrible service and even worse billing!

I called to have my electric turned on weeks before I moved in. I received a bill and was charged $50.00 for not setting up my account. I called from our leasing office and found out TECO made an error on my profile, not adding my apartment number. I was told if I paid I wouldn't have my electric turned off and I'd see a credit. Now, not only are they saying I cannot get a credit they also say they don't see where I paid it. Worthless customer service.

I paid my bill online with a current check to me everything was fine. I never got a confirmation in my email about me submitting the payment which was weird to me. After 4 days Tampa sending me an email about my check was returned because of not enough refund. I contacted my bank. I was told that there was no check submitted and that there was no reason for the bank to return it since I had enough funds in my account. Teco charged me $30.00 more for an imaginary check return. This is outrageous. In which country are we and what century!!!!? Beside all that, hardly anybody is talking about this company. The newspaper needs to take care of this abusive business. Nobody is above the law. I talked to a lot of residents and everybody is hurt from this monster. This is the home of the Brave and the Tea Party Heroes. Enough already!!!!

My gf left me at the end of the month. I was catching up on bills had TECO draft the payment out of my ACH account. They took a whole week from the due date to attempt to take the funds out. The day they tried my debit card was stolen and TECO send me a mail the following day saying I'm being charged a check bounce feed due to my account being frozen. I contacted TECO, customer service was rude as usual. I've been catching up on paying them for the last two months then they disconnected my power even though I had an e-bill saying my new bill was due on the 12th. Now I have to pay a reconnect fee... I have paid over 250+ $$$ in the last 3 months for service that is for a 1 bedroom apartment... Now they want me to pay an extra 60 dollars for a deposit, because my bill equals out to more the 2 months of service... I can't wait till my lease is up and I don't have to deal with this Comcast version of electric...

I live on a very tight budget, am a single mom with two children, and working two jobs. I'm very busy and, in a rush, accidentally paid a bill twice. I realized it immediately and called the next day since I assumed it would take some time to process in their system. I explained what happened to the rep and also explained my circumstances, and needed them to issue me a refund for the second payment as I had other household expenses, such as groceries, that I needed the money for. I was flatly denied. The representative told me that they did not issue refunds, only credits. Is this legal? Do they not have an obligation to return my overpayment when requested? Isn't that a violation of servicing laws?

So the next month comes along and I find that they did not apply my credit correctly to the next bill. It should have been fully paid with a remaining credit balance. I am writing this review and have opened my account on this ConsumerAffairs website, all while waiting on hold to speak to a customer service representative. The recording told me that I will have to wait over 30 minutes to speak to a representative. No wonder I'm waiting in line with all of the bad service this company thanks its paying customers with. Where are the regulatory services? Hope they finally step in and require better service standards! MONOPOLIES REALLY STINK!

I'm 22 years old. This is my first time EVER moving out and turning on my electric. I called Friday 4/22/2016 with Customer Service. The lady was decent with talking with me, but after hearing the automated voice message tell me that my account number that she gave me is not recognized, I began to wonder if she even did anything at all during our time on the phone.

I'm absolutely confused and disappointed that this company would run itself the way it does. I'm not even mad like most others. I just think it's truly primitive and I don't see TECO going any further here in Tampa within the next 4 years. TECO does not show integrity, accountability, respect, courage or excellence towards their customers, and as far as first impressions, they could truly care less about what their new customers think. I really wish there was another company to go through but I guess we are forced to use TECO for a reason, right? (Manipulative corporate machine.)

I am a small business owner with TECO. We have 2 buildings side by side with 2 separate meters. One account is on AutoPay and the other has to be paid in cash at a payment center. We try to not waste paper so our bills are emailed to us and then one comes out on AutoPay and the other does not. We had a final notice for the one not on AutoPay. I paid it the day before the cutoff date at 4:30 pm in cash and I have my receipt that clearly states there is no need to contact them with the receipt number as it will automatically update in their system. The next day I was at my business with clients present when the tech showed up to cut off the power. I told him I had the receipt. I had to get it. He refused to wait and was very rude and said I shouldn't wait till the last minute to pay my bill. He then told me to contact them when I had my receipt and he would come back and turn on.

As he pulled away in his truck # ** I ran out with the receipt and he left. I immediately called and spoke to a supervisor who apologized and I told her my receipt was time-stamped at 4:30 pm and it said I did not need to call. Remember this was almost 24 hours earlier. Because the tech was so arrogant and I was afraid of how aggressive he acted towards me I asked to please do not allow that tech to come back to my business as I felt threatened by his actions and demeanor. She said she would note my account to send someone different and credit me the 55.00 fee they would charge for him to come back since I had my time dated receipt.

A few moments later he came back and I asked why it wasn't someone else and he just smirked and made the comment about how he gets paid to do the reconnect so I advised that he was acting very unprofessional and that his supervisor was going to credit me back since it was not my mistake but his. He then continued to tell me that she was not his supervisor and that I would be charged a fee. My 10-year-old child asked him why he was acting so disrespectful and he said whatever and threatened to turn it off again. He then made comments very sarcastic and said not to wait till the last day to pay my bill and that I need to read my receipt and I showed him the receipt and where it said I do not have to call and he pushed it away and said he KNOWS how to read the receipt.

He got very loud and one of my customers came to the door to see if I was OK. I asked him to please leave and he wouldn't leave. He just sat in his truck staring and smiling at us so I was about to call the police but I tried calling his supervisor back to let her know what was happening and as I was holding on the line for a ridiculous amount of time he finally drove off. Another manager called me back and left a voicemail which I have called him back and I am still waiting for a return call. I am actually feeling like I will have to file a restraining order now to keep this individual away from my business. Someone please provide advice on what to do. Thanks!

TECO is the worst company ever. Similar to the person who reviewed before me, we have been having issues with their website. We always pay our bills on time, and saw that they have been rejecting our payments the past 3 times. We tried paying them every single different option they had, however they kept denying our payment for some reason. They would not tell us why the payment was rejected every time. We call them and wait on hold for hours, and never reach any type of conclusion. When we finally spoke to someone they said we are "locked out" of the account and have to pay CASH for the next YEAR! Who pays cash? Who has to go to AMSCOT and shady payment locations to pay for a bill???

This is absolute ludicrous. I feel like it is 1920 and they do not know how to use technology. How is this company in business?! They would not even consider unlocking our account, and would not give us any reasoning as to why this cannot be accomplished. We are so frustrated and hope that someone comes in as a competitor for TECO soon. This is the worst company ever. If we could give it less than one star, we would. Someone should take this horrible place to the media.

My family and I have lived in six different states (my husband's job) in the past 11 years and Tampa Electric (TECO) is the absolute WORST electric company I have ever had the displeasure of using. Living in this, FL, there is no other choice for your electric service and TECO knows it thereby not caring one bit about how they treat you, their customers. I have had several issues trying to set auto-pay with them and had a couple of returned payments all because of them but we had to suffer. Even though I had a limit on how much they could take out on the auto pay, they went ahead and tried to take out more resulting in a returned payment.

After trying to call them time and time again trying to explain this, I finally reached a very rude agent. I called seven times and waited on the line for up to an hour each time and three times was disconnected. The other times I just gave up. I do have a life. Finally, this extremely nasty agent wouldn't even listen to me and since then we have had to go to these obscure storefronts in shady areas of Brandon to pay our bill. On top of this, their website is truly awful! Try looking at the particulars on your account or making a change. Next to impossible! So, the website is essentially useless and the phone lines are so jammed up that you just have to suck it up and do what they tell you. No compassion. Just short and rude.

This company that is rolling in money doesn't give a hoot about its customers and is only in the business of collecting cash and lining their pockets. You can't even pay with a debit or credit card! It is ridiculous in this day and age! I just hope and pray that TECO gets some competitors soon because we (and all of our friends and neighbors) will leave them in a heartbeat. Shame on you, TECO!

The power goes out here every time it rains. We have brownouts in nice weather. A while back ago, I reported our power went out at 1 in the afternoon. At midnight, I made a second report. The operator called back and wanted me to walk across our dead end dirt road property in the rain in the pitch black to look at my pole. She insisted we had power. When I refused, she said if it is on our side, they couldn't help us. I had already explained to her we were in contact with neighbors who also did not have power and our streetlights were also out. They hadn't sent anyone out the entire day to investigate the issue until I really argued with this woman. It took 11 hours before they decided to even look at our power outage. In the end, their equipment had been damaged by the weather.

More recently, they shut off our power after a bank issue. They did not let us know there had even been a problem. We had to rush out and pay with cash (because the money was in the bank). After FIVE days, they still hadn't turned our power on. It was the coldest week of the year, and it was going down in the 30s at night. I had to call the state service commission. Within 15 minutes, they had it back on. A few days went by, and they called threatening to turn the power off again. I told them we had already been through this, the account was paid in full with cash, and that we had no balance. I even gave them the receipt number. They couldn't find their own receipt number. I had to fax them a copy. They still would not credit my account.

They only gave me a week long extension while they investigate where they money went. I did everything I was supposed to do, and now I may or may not have my power shut off. The hold times every time I have to call are over 45 minutes, and sometimes over an hour. They are terrible to have to deal with. I wish we could use any other power company. TECO is a total headache to have to deal with.

Bogus Fees. Monopoly to the fullest and doesn't care because nobody holds them accountable for their actions. I guess if there are no other options for customers, they have no incentive or motivation to do better. It's so frustrating to have to give my money to this level of incompetence and terrible customer service. TECO's Automated phone system and website is completely dysfunctional. It seems the only way to guarantee they receive my payment without going to a store is by using the "Just Pay It" option, which charges you $5 to pay your bill. This system as a whole is an embarrassment and huge inconvenience to the residents of this city. Another example of a company taking advantage of its market share and screwing its customers, why are they allowed to continue without the City of Tampa taking action against them?

I first submitted a request, via email, to tech to have service transferred from my former roommate's name to mine. This was 9/21 and I received a response right away asking me for my last address and legal last name so they could verify my identity through Equifax. After my reply I heard nothing for over a week. I had to reach out to them again and received an email telling me it's critical that I contact Equifax. Calling Equifax was a nuisance in itself. I do not care for blindly calling phone numbers, speaking to unidentified people and providing everything they could possibly need to steal my identity. At the end of which I was given no confirmation and just told to call Teco (as if I have 30 minutes during their ridiculous business hours to sit on hold). I emailed them on 10/1 to confirm I had verified my identity with the unidentified people, and was notified 10/3 my account had been verified.

On 10/11 I paid my deposit through Teco's less than helpful website and have yet to get a confirmation that it was received. So here in am, on hold again, to confirm if this deplorable company has switched the electric from my ex-roommate's name to mine. I tried checking the website, but it's less than user friendly. I tried to sign up for e-bill hoping it would at least confirm it was set up, but I don't have a meter number to do so.

This company MUST be audited by government entity or any independent firm, due to their suspicious policy created to protect their fraud business model. First off regardless of your credit background you must pay a Deposit of $165.00, and in addition they play dump having you use payment method through a convenience fee, which should NOT be forced, instead of accepting traditional Check or eCheck methods of payments. Second customer service is miserable, incompetent, and they expect you to know everything, whereas customers expect guidance. If there were other electric provider in our neighborhood I would have never become their customer. Someone has to act quickly to protect people from this monopoly, fraud, and awful electric provider.

Please be aware that these degenerates that work for this company will have you on hold most of the day only to be disconnected when an employee is finally available or to go through all of your personal information. MAKE SURE YOU GET THEIR NAME AND ID#!!! WARNING!! WARNING!!! 9 out of 10 times, it does not get put in your name on the first shot, and if your apartment is like mine, then you will be fined $50-$100/mo for TECO's screw up!!! Do not take their word that they will contact your upper management!! Make sure to get your reference number and file it in a safe place because there will be a time when you need to know what idiot you spoke with since they all play DUMB!

I call TECO at least once a month to connect a service to a rental unit for tenants. On average it's a 20-30 minute hold. Sometimes I'm on hold for 1 hour. I also deal with Duke Energy who have wait times of 2 minutes. MAJOR difference. Have issues logging into my only account after they deleted all my automatic payments on my accounts. Website is very uninformative. What information do I need to have ready when I finally get through to a representative? If you need to connect a service DON'T use their online service. It takes 1-2 weeks to get everything happening. If you ring them and are willing to wait 20+ minutes on the phone they can usually connect your services within 24 hours. One positive is they are very fast at connections.

I requested service on 09/17/2015, sent all the documents and received confirmation and account number. I thought service has been transferred. After a week, I got call from customer care that I need to send them documents again, so I did that as well. I needed to make online payment at the end of the month and I had problem in registering so called for support. At that time I found out that the account was never been transferred to my name and is still on apartment owner's name!

Since then, everyday I am calling customer service in my entire lunch break hour (20-30 mins on hold), receiving different answers, request for various documents-passport, visa, SSN etc., which I fax all the time on 813 255 5092 and they either never receive them or clarity is missing! They say the person handling my account will call me back but I am not getting any call back! I have never come across such a terrible staff ever! Does anybody care about business, where customer is ready to pay bills and deposit and is not allowed to do so!

Well started my service with Teco in March so 3 months. Well needless to say the service is horrible... Dep was 170. Monthly bills have been no more than 140 this month. I received a bill for 340. That is a 200 difference so I call and they say it's my fault, which is crazy because I am using the same exact amount of electricity as usual. Maybe less. They won't come check the meter or nothing. I think it's ridiculous to have to pay that much for electricity. Something needs to be done with this money-stealing company

I relocated to Florida for work 6/2/15. I am renting a home from the homeowner and moved in this home 6/2/15. I placed the electric service transfer request online and completed the online form transferring service on 5/28/15. I received an email confirmation automatic response stating the company would get back with me in 3-5 days regarding my request. I called TECO and spoke with customer service rep to ensure service would not be interrupted. I was informed by TECO representative that the electric account was successfully transferred over. The representative asked for my social security number over the phone, along with my banking account and routing over the phone. I was told I would have to make a security deposit and I agreed to this over the phone. I was asked about paperless/online bill pay. I agreed to this service since I do all bill pay online, direct debit. I provided my email account to the representative as well.

I arrived to the home 6/2/15 and have been residing in the home since 6/2/15. I have not receiving a bill or any form of notice from TECO since my conversation and online transfer request completion. The owner also informed me that he has not received any electric bills for the address that was transferred over. I came home 7/24 evening around approx 630 pm and my electric service had been disconnected. I originally assumed this was a power outage so I tried calling the TECO customer service number. I was notified by a recording that TECO does not provide service on the weekends and business days are Monday-Friday 730am-6pm.

I called the emergency number listed and tried going through the prompts. However this was unsuccessful, the system did not link my phone number or social security number with an account. I contacted the owner who held the last account and he called the automated system and entered his information. The system informed him that his power outage may be due to the status of his account. TECO never transferred the account and disconnected service without providing a disconnect notice to resident (myself and they obviously never transferred the account over). I called 911 and the police department to see if there was another number to contact for emergencies. I was told to contact the company or look on the website. I called the emergency line multiple times. This phone continued to ring with no voicemail or automated options.

I received a phone call back from a TECO employee (unsure of job title). He began the conversation with… "Hi I am calling you back because I see you have tried to call in multiple times". I explained to the employee the situation and inquired about a reactivate option asap. I informed him that I have asthma and am not able to go days without electricity, given the poor air quality in Florida. The employee informed me that he did not work in customer service and there was no way he could start service in my home. The employee instructed me to call back Monday morning and speak with customer service regarding my issue.

As a licensed health care professional, I am very disappointed in Florida's customer service and policy and procedures regarding electric. There are laws in place to ensure that notice is provided to consumers regarding power/electric due to the medical necessity. As I mentioned, I did not receive a disconnect notice in any form, nor was I contacted by TECO for non-payment etc. I had to check into a hotel and speak money out of pocket on a weekend due to a company's error. I will be contacting legal counsel regarding this issue as it seems to pose as a potential health hazard.

Teco has charged me two deposits and stated the reason "because you had a late pay and disconnect at your previous address." So when I moved in our new rental, they made us pay another deposit. Totaling to a little over $700. My question to them, "If I close my account and move back out of the state of Florida, will I get any of my deposit back if there's a balance left." I'm struggling starting a new business to support my family. Which was better than sitting on unemployment after the GC I worked for lost his business.

They're shutting my electricity off for a $400 bill and it's been this high for years due to slumlords who fix code violations just before they're fined. Plus after looking the bill over, I discovered we're all paying for the fuel and for using the electricity. When will we have to buy gas for our cars and pay for driving them. This bs with the fuel surcharges. I thought the use of the electricity was good enough to pay, but fuel surcharges. Connect my house to Enron, at least they were cheaper for a short period of time.

I am in the military getting ready to move to Florida. My wife and I already bought a house about 2 months before our move. I call TECO about two weeks out from my first trip down to the new house with a U-Haul truck. I setup a new account/transfer from the old owners to my wife and I. I choose to have them check my credit and end up paying a deposit of $230. They said the account would be on and providing electricity to the property by the 15th of May. I take my trip with the U-Haul and sure enough the electricity is on.

Now, fast forward two weeks from that on the 3rd of June. Apparently on the 3rd of June they shut my electricity off. Keep in mind I have brought most of my stuff to the new house (I.E. large deep freezer in the garage with about $1k worth of food in it.) I did not expect this to happen within 15 days of the account being created. I just found this out on the 12th of June by the way (back at my current place in NC).

I'm pretty sure that all that food is now spoiled. So, they tell me that the first deposit did not go through and that the bank (USAA) sent a "Stop Payment". This does not make sense, so I call USAA. They said they did no such thing and they actually don't have rights to do that anyway. The only way they would stop a payment is if the account had insufficient funds. Our account however, had plenty of funds to cover the deposit. So I look in my bank statements and sure enough, $230 came out on the 11th of May. Now my wife called TECO on the 12th of June and they had her pay another $230 deposit. I'm pissed.

I talked to customer service and they are the most incompetent people I have ever spoken with. So, I find out that they actually said the first $230 was kicked back, but then they said to me that it went through and they accidentally applied it to some other account. WTF??!! I'm getting a new answer every minute from this lady as she changes her story on the phone. I've been on the phone for about 45 min. at this point and I'm extremely irate. She transfers me to billing management, or something like that, and I can't wait any longer. So I hang up. I don't know how this company keeps its customers. They must be the only one available for the area I live in. I will find out for sure. The customer service rep told me they don't keep records of calls.

What kind of company is this? Nobody knows who fulfilled what order etc. They basically admitted to screwing up the first deposit and then tacked on a bounced check fee (which is stupid because I paid by debit card and had plenty of funds - it actually left my account and I still have bank record of this) and they tacked on another new service fee when they turned it back on. They are going to hate life. I promise. Oh, and they better pay us for the now most likely spoiled food in our garage deep freezer. We are still not down to the house yet, but will be there next week.

My husband is a 100% gulf war Veteran we had another deposit due last week a lady was horrible. I talked to a supervisor named ** and she WAS AWESOME AND OMG I SO APPRECIATE HER... SHE GAVE US THE 9 DAYS WE NEEDED... THANK YOU **!!!

Paid my bill on the phone. Did not know a company called ChargeSmart is not an authorized payment method. Their web site does not state this and they will accept payments. An incorrect teco account number was entered and the payment was returned to ChargeSmart. They said they sent me an email regarding returned payment but never say an email. Tampa Electric said they receive payments all the time with incorrect numbers and they research it. However they did not mine and because ChargeSmart is not an authorized payment center they will not accept anything as proof they sent it back the next day. So I am stuck with a fifty dollar reconnect fee. Wish I could change electric companies - they are horrible.

Tampa Electric Company Profile