1.18/5

Need a utility company?

Florida

Need a utility company?

77 Tampa Electric Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I have used TECO since 2008. I am not happy with the way TECO services its clients. They are not understanding to families needs whatsoever. I don't shutting my services off after not paying, not because I didn't want to but because I had to choose to either pay my TECO bill or buy groceries for my children! They are robbing us and it's not fair! You can barely get an extension, which I have never qualified for, mostly because I'm a single parent working full time at a non-profit. I'm doing the best I can and TECO couldn't care less. All it seems TECO cares about is getting richer while steady taking my whole paycheck.

Original review: July 31, 2019

My bill was due 7/29. It is now 7/31. Just two short days later. We just moved, haven't settled into a routine yet, and missed the payment by accident. It happens. Not a big deal, at least not to me, but apparently Teco thinks it is. It is only two days past the due date, and they have already issued a disconnect notice and sent it to my email. 2 days, people..2 days. What kind of company does this??? Of course I'm gonna pay it before the disconnect date, and I might add I've had perfect payment history for the past several years before this...but what kind of messed up company provides no grace period for payments? This is completely unacceptable. As soon as there is another option in my area, this company can kiss a donkey as I walk out the door.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 7, 2019

This company is the worst electric company I've ever had. My lights go out at LEAST 2-3 times a week; They come back up within a few minutes, but I work from home (on a computer), so this is constantly causing me to lose work. Who's going to compensate me for that? Not Teco, that's for sure!

Original review: May 5, 2019

They sent my bill. It has an account number. Their automated system doesn't recognize the number....RIP....As echoed by everyone above, they may have humans working on the power lines, but it's obviously just a bunch of monkeys dutch ruddering each other's typewriters over at the corporate office. Enjoy your self-defeating monopoly while it lasts **.

Original review: April 27, 2019

Last night my parents' power went out in their apartment complex. My dad is on oxygen. I called TECO and within an hour a young lady named Sally called me back to see if the power had turned back on. What a great experience! She was very kind and I appreciate her. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tampa Electric?

Original review: April 25, 2019

Moved into a new house on March 1st 2019. Called TECO to get power turned on at our new home. Everything went smooth. No issue. Fast forward to April 24th I come home from work and the power out. Kinda annoying but it happens so I look at the neighbor's house and their lights are on so I am puzzled. I text my wife and she did not get a call, Email, or anything in the mail explaining the outage. So I check my Arlo Camera and seen that there was a guy at our front porch at 9 AM on a Wednesday while everyone was at work. So they turned my power off without any warning or explanation.

My wife call TECO to see what the issue is and they tell us that someone called and setup power at our address thus canceling our service. Also we stilled owed payment since February (Moved in in March) so my wife had to fight with the person on the phone to make them realize that they made a mistake and our survive was on auto debit and there should be no one besides her and I allowed to cancel or add services to our house. So they ended up not billing us for for February and that they would have a technician to come out and restore power in the next 2 hrs. It's now almost 7 pm and the guy finally arrives is rude as heck. Treats me like I'm some kind of criminal for not paying the bill. Hooks up our power and leaves. Thanks! I go to the fridge and all the ice cream is melted. The ice is melted in the door, the milk is warm along with the rest of the food in my fridge. Thanks TECO.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Five years in Saint Petersburg with Duke Energy flawless payment history good credit rating. Bought a new house in Tampa fifteen minutes away... TECO is forcing me to pay three times the PAST owners bill as a deposit. Already I have made upgrades in the first week, that will make my bill a fraction of the previous owners. They claim it's Equifax mandating the deposit, my Equifax rating is good, they will not specify which criteria is not allowing the deposit to be waived. It's a cash grab SCAM, they claim they will return it in Two or three years with a 2% interest, I'm sorry I wouldn't lend money to anyone or anything less than 10% ESPECIALLY a corporation. Not a great way to a business relationship. If you live on a border where you can get Duke Energy even FPL is better than this unprofessional clown show.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I have been paying Teco every month without any delay for years, but lately for been a few days later they charge without options. I leave you this link for the community if you want to have another option rather than TECO: **.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I live in Tampa Florida. It's December and right now it is pretty cold outside. I did not receive a final notice in the mail. I did not receive a final notice to my email address. The only thing I received of the bill telling me I was due by the 26th of December. I do have a past due amount of about $140 that I was going to pay on Friday. Today is Tuesday. Me and my brother watching TV when the power went out. No explanation. Just shut off. I open the door and TECO is outside shutting off my box. I asked, "Why are you shutting off my box". "I was told you're past due by $140", I told the gentleman I have until the 26. He told me, "Nope. I'm told you're past due." No heart at all and it's cold outside.

So I called TECO. First person said, "Well you're shut off now. You have to pay". Ask her Supervisor. Was put on hold for almost 30 minutes, supervisor picks up and tells me, "Well you're shut off already. You're past due. You have to pay". I explain to him how I didn't receive a final notice. I didn't know that my electricity was going to get shut off otherwise I would have paid. And I explained to him I was going to pay this Friday. He told me again, "You have to pay the past two otherwise your electricity will not be turned on". I told him it's very cold outside. I have two disabled people in my home. "There's nothing you can do". It's very cold. He told me, "No ma'am. You have to pay". So I had to overdraft my account just to pay my TECO bill just to get my electricity back on. There's no communication whatsoever to let me know they were shutting off my electricity if I didn't pay the past due amount right away.

Tampa Electric is the only electric company in my area and it's not fair they take advantage of that. They have poor customer service and are rude to their customers. They don't care about your situation that they put you in. They're nasty and heartless people. Things really need to change the way they treat people like they're nothing but dirt on the bottom of their shoes. It's so irresponsible and so disheartening. I wish there was another electric company in my area. I would leaves Tampa Electric so fast.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I moved to a home. I took over the lease. To turn on power I had to pay the previous tenants $1k bill. I also had to pay a $350 Depo. and other fees not explained. I sent $1450 thru Amscot. Called Teco. Gave verification #. Asked if it would've turned on that day. Was told, "Sure for another $75." Paid the $75. Lived there 2 months moved. Would not transfer unless paid up and another $275 depo. Paid all of that electric was turned on. 5 months go by and I get not a bill but a turn off notice in 2 days for $697. Called spoke to 4 different managers... No one could explain why other than my prior residence.

I'm like how is that possible? I lived there 8 weeks. You kept my deposit. I was finally told and I quote "Karla it is what it is" so I paid the bill but now cannot pay my rent. I finally got a copy of my other residence 8 weeks and all it shows is 4 payments then a bal due. I have no recourse. There is no financial aid for me nothing. Florida is one of the states that have no regulations on utilities. That needs to change and who is going to pay my rent and all the bills I'm falling behind on due to the trickle down effect? I'm one of hundreds of people this is happening to and it needs to stop. Thank you.

Tampa Electric Company Information