1.14/5
Based on 64 reviews that contain star ratings

Need a utility company?

Florida

67 Tampa Electric Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

On or around August 15th 2018 I called to schedule a disconnect of service for my gas and electric for September 1st 2018. I was told by the representative that I would not get an email of confirmation of my request but all was taken care of. I received a bill in September and paid it thinking it was a final bill. Then I receive one in October (for September charges) with a statement date of 9/24/2018 for 55.74. I call and the lady states that there is no record of disconnect and not only am I responsible for this bill but I will receive a final bill next month as well! I pleaded with her to send me an email to confirm this time that I made this request and again, she said we do not do this. In other words, I must just trust her. If there is any way to avoid this company... Run. I am so fed up with companies that continue to bill. I am only 1 person. Imagine how many people this happens to and how much they profit from this. No confirmation of disconnect request???

Original review: July 25, 2018

Set up new account on 30 May 2018 and they charged 28$ new account setup. And I have registered that account online and set up autopayment. First bill got generated and due date was 6/6/18 and deducted directly from autopayment. (So I never bother to look at account again after that.) All of sudden yesterday they disconnected my service at 1:30 pm and waited for hour or so and raised Outage request (2:30 pm) by sending text "OUT" to "35069" and got the response saying power will be restored in 4 hours. Waited 4 hours (till 6:30 pm) and got email saying power is restored around 6:18 pm but no powerhouse.

I tried calling customer service (813) 223-0800 and there is NO customer service available after 6 PM and called outage service number 877-588-1010 and it automated messages. No real person answers. Then I log in to account and to see whats going on, I see my account is inactive since 5/31/2018. (Only one day they kept my account active.) Gone though full night without power in house with guests at home (summer vacations) and with all embarrassment and questions "Why the hell we don't have power and everybody else have."

Next day morning 7/25/2018, called customer service at 7:45 and as soon as I called she mentioned that I am looking at wrong account. She mentioned they created another account for this address because of initial setup issues. And there is amount due on that account and that is reason service got disconnected. I'm surprise to know there another account with pending balance on it. There is not single email/Phone/Text/mail communication on what was my new account and bills or late payment related things.

I paid balance immediately. Asked for the service restoration and response was we can not expedite the restoration we will raise tickets and somebody take care of it today. And it is around 2 pm sitting without power for whole one day with guests at home and just waiting for these guys restore. IF SINGLE EMAIL/PHONE/TEXT/MAIL stated about this late payment or new account sometime back I wouldn't have avoid all this nonsense. ZERO communication before disconnect (such irresponsible company, I wish they go through this kind of situation once in their life to understand other people's pain.)

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I have never written a review on a company before. Because TECO is the absolute worst electric company I felt the need to share with everyone!!! I never carry a balance over to the next month. Always pay my bill every month... the one month I pay my bill 5 days late they come and disconnect my service and want to charge me a reconnection fee... not to mention they have 250$ deposit on my account for which they have held for over 3 years!!! Disconnection for $100.53!! I can’t believe it!! Not to mention we are in May in Florida with 80-90 degree weather everyday!!

Now I have to sit in my home without AC with a 2 year old and wait until God knows when for them to come turn it back on!! Not even a courtesy phone call or a knock on the door giving me a heads up. They were at my home at 8 am not even giving me a chance to bring my son to school and then pay the bill!! Give people a chance. The bill is not even 2 weeks late!! People get paid every 2 weeks these days and TECO is not the only bill everyone has. I am outraged of the terrible service. Please everyone if you have the choice do not move to Hillsborough County as you will have to deal with TECO! I too would give 0 stars if that was an option as someone mentioned previously!! Just horrible!!

Original review: March 22, 2018

I have been out of work for months. I barely can make the payments, and I have never had my power disconnected. This month they charged me additional $350 deposit for making late payments!!! And their excuse is this is to protect the company. Why are you treating poor people like this? So the solution is to make it harder. This is why inventions are made to put businesses like you out of business. Once a competitor come around, I am jumping ship. Shame on TECO!!!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

My bill was always high and was always above 250 a month. But no one was home during the day. AC kept at 78, did not use heat, have energy saving window and good insulation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tampa Electric?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

We are very unhappy. We buy a house in Brandon. So we moved from Tampa to Brandon. We are told we need to create a new account. SO we get rapped by then on the Tampa bill then they tack it on to the new account. So 6 months ago we have a newborn. We call them every month telling them we will be late. They don't care. I understand they have employees to pay. Our bill was due on the 3 of Jan 2018. Yesterday they shut off the power. Knowing they have a record of us PAYING EVERY MONTH and the temperature was going to drop last night they shut us off and now we have to go all weekend with a newborn. We had the bill paid at 5:58 pm. Now get this. It was a late bill of 160. That's really ** customer service.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

If I could give 0 STARS I would. The fact that we only have one electric and gas company to choose from is ridiculous, but the fact that TECO is taking advantage of this is terrible. Where I live I am required to have two separate accounts with TECO, one for gas and one for electric. Not only did they require me to pay an upfront installation charge for each account, they also charge me TWO service fees per month. Furthermore, this 'Basic Service Fee' ends up totaling the same, if not MORE, than what my actual energy or fuel charge is on each bill. This is why monopolies should not exist. Terrible.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I moved from Indiana not knowing when I paid with my American Express and even getting a confirmation charged me a non fee charge. My bank confirms nothing was sent to them for a reject. Once I received a card in the mail to shut my power off is how I found out. Then was told, "We don't take this type of payment." Instead of as a courtesy adjusting off the charge they continue to add it to my bill. No one will even acknowledge the non communication or the incorrect charge.

Also States they have sent me disconnect cards every month. Which today shows the first one I have received 10/19/17. I have been here since 12/2016?? Poor customer service. I called today and the representative hung up on me. After I waited 30 minutes on hold. Trying to make an arrangement on my bill since the Hurricane issue. States no arrangements since I pay my bill the day after it's due?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

TECO's gone from bad to worse. We lose power all the time in my neighborhood, for no explicable reason (no storm, nothing... Just constantly blips out, and resetting every clock in the kitchen, etc.). What's worse is since Aug/Sep (last two months), TECO is charging almost $100 more a month to every customer! It's UNBELIEVABLE to be limited in choice of power company - monopolies shouldn't be allowed - and TECO is using their POWER (pun intended) to rob customers blind! Disgusted. No more words for blatant robbing customers blind!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Dealing with moving, let alone from state to state is exhausting, but dealing with TECO has been a horrible experience. This company only cares about overcharging customers and getting their money at any cost. No sympathy for customer's hardships, or trying to work payment arrangements for first time customers; why does that even matter. Explain how do you get a $600 bill on a first month's of use?? I think they abuse their power and treat customers like crap because they know they have control over your electricity. Sadness! These people should be investigate.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Irma was downgraded to a tropical storm when it hit Tampa with winds maxing out at 80 mph & we only got 8" of rain. There was not a single downed power line or tree anywhere near my neighborhood but we were without power for 5 days. The power went out before the storm even really hit Tampa. Checking their "outage map" 70% were without power by Sunday at 8 pm when the worst of the storm didn't hit until 2 am. My office which is by the coast did not lose power at all. I did not find a single business that was without power that wasn't caused by a downed line. I firmly believe that TECO caused the majority of the outages when they messed up shutting down their power plants. Why did Teco even shut down their plants when they knew it was not going to be more than a category 1 storm at the most? Why is it that most businesses did not lose power and neither did the richer part of Tampa lose power?

I checked their outage map and the richer parts of South Tampa had power including my office, Harbor & Davis Island had power. All the coastal regions had power. Why did all the forced evacuation locations have power but the places like my home that are not in an evac zone and have no chance of flooding without power for 5 days? People died from the power being out from Heat exhaustion. I posted a comment asking Teco to be honest about why the power went down on Teco's blog but it is still "pending moderation". Teco claimed they have put a billion in upgrades to our power network since 2003 by charging us a 40% increase after Andrew took down 80% of their network. That was a category 3 storm that barely hit Tampa with winds reaching up to 140 mph. If Teco has really put in a billion in upgrades for 770,000 homes & businesses that is over 1.27 Million Dollars, per location.

How do we not have a Tropical storm proof electrical grid? I get a few people losing power from downed wires but 80% from a category 1 that got downgraded to a tropical storm? People were without power for a week. Teco bragged it was working around the clock but their deployment center was packed with trucks with it looking like NO one was going out. This is why I believe the problem was internal and caused by a huge mess-up on their part. I drove my whole neighborhood before, during and after my power was restored and went up one road and down another seeing who had porch lights on and who did not. The whole section that did not have power did not have a single downed line nor a single repair truck anywhere.

I believe that this means as they fixed their plants & what they messed up, then replaced the places that blew out when they shut it down they simply had to ramp up production to get the majority of people with power again. I have also had problems with Teco where my bill keeps going up steadily over time. I pay a flat rate from my bank that I did not check and Teco disconnected it. I paid the balance the same day and Teco restored power the same day. However, from that month on, my bill was not rising steadily. It was $100 less a month for the next 2 years. After a few years of still paying the same amount, it happened again and started rising. It got disconnected and restored and again the power was around $100 less a month. A Teco tech said that this was common. Electrical surges cause the meter to read more than it is supposed to.

I said I suspected that after each time but Teco assured me that they tested correctly as I was asking for a refund for what I felt was overcharged. He stated that once the meter is unplugged it resets itself back to the default so that when it is tested it reads correctly. If you see that your bill is rising steadily over time ask Teco to come swap your meter. You won't get a dime back but your bill will be lower for the next 2-3 years. I have shown this a third time with Teco that we have no additional appliance, that each appliance we get is better rated, that we constantly improve our insulation & switch to LED's and yet our bill goes up after 2-3 years steadily & after switching the meter it goes back to normal for the next 2-3 years.

They said that the only thing I can do is ask for them to conduct an energy audit (which they would charge for since they did one for me 10 years ago & said there was little I could do that I haven't already done). I asked if I could put in my own meter but they stated that they would not trust it since it was not calibrated by Teco. For all we know Teco does this on purpose to overcharge people on their bills. I noticed that the last two months of my bill were way higher than normal so I will see if losing power for 5 days reset the meter or not. But I know for certain that I will not get the $400 back just from these two months.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

TECO is absolutely the WORSE in regards to emergency responses. Irma was not even as bad as anticipated and yet thousands of people are without power. TECO's empty promises stating they would be working around the clock were just words. Forest Hills is an area filled with elderly people and NOT one truck is in the area. I guarantee the CEO of TECO or the high paid executives who live in Hillsborough County did not lose a minute of power. Teco should be ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES and if there were an other energy source...Teco would lose the majority of their customers and I hope the greedy executives reap what they deserve by way of payback for being so complacent.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Tampa Electric is the only source of service we have in Tampa. After Irma, of course, as with any storm, the power is out, and there is no information as to when it will be restored. No estimated time - nothing. This is unacceptable for a company of this size. The company is aware of where their trucks are scheduled to go and when they are scheduled to go to a location. If they are not going to be in my area, I would appreciate the information to be communicated in some form - website, text, voicemail, but, some form of communication is mandatory. The City of Tampa, Bob Buckhorn managed to get a phone message out to the citizens about a curfew and the lifting of that curfew - call him - find out how he called all of the citizens in Tampa!!! Come on TECO!!! EARN YOUR HIGH FEES EVERY MONTH!!! This is ridiculous.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I filled out the claims form along with what I could get for estimates and photos of the damage TECO and their tree company caused & they denied it. I called multiple times on 8/17 And 8/19 and didn't receive a phone call back so I did the online form and they emailed me back saying they would mail me a claims form and to call as well which I did with no response... I filled out the claims form along with what I could get for estimates and photos of the damage TECO and their tree company caused while cutting branches and bushes something my husband and I had complained about that needed to be done for 5 years! Instead they decide to do it in August after the power goes out with close to 100 temps and definitely 100% humidity!

Synopsis: Our power went out 8/16/17 during the storm and I reported it. TECO came out and needed to cut trees and clean up the "fuse". Then they decided to cut/trim all the trees along the power line from my backyard down to the next block. Oak tree branches fell on our fences and popped the tops out as well as either the wood chipper truck (which came on 8/17/17) or the crane device they used to cut (used on 8/16/17) backed into or drove into our gate causing damage as well. So you can hardly open the gate now... All this took over 6 hrs and we were without power the whole time while at some point they decided to sit and eat pizza in our driveway while laughing and giggling and doing nothing and we are cooped up with our dogs and cats because we can't close the gate and the dogs need to go out etc... Our food is spoiling and they don't care. They are too busy taking their time... destroying our fence and eating pizza!

The other side is a wood fence that branches and the bucket device hit. I submitted their claim form with picture and wait over a week for a response only to get a denial saying that: "I spoke with a Tampa Electric Company Representative in our Line Clearance Department who was on site when Davey Tree was trimming and have been advised that the fence was damaged prior to the work being started, and that neither Tampa Electric, nor Davey Tree caused any damage. Therefore, we are denying your claim."

Total non surprise there... The investigation was "they talked to TECO rep". Wow. I assume that was the heavy set guy who ordered the pizza and never set foot in our backyard... Also the same guy that yelled at me for videoing them eating pizza! The monopoly they have should be illegal and they get to investigate their own damage claims... And even though I show photographic evidence and got estimates... They spoke to someone who they work with who says... "Nah... We didn't do that..."

TECO needs to be investigated for negligence among other things. I wish we had more options for power in Tampa. TECO would much rather see you die of heat and lack of electricity rather than actually provide good customer service to the people they have a monopoly over. The way TECO operates their business should be criminal but with the help of the Public Services Commission who is more than likely in their pocket they're able to continue out their criminal operation and walk all over people. They put you on an endless hold and still do not assist you! I never got anyone on the phone, our fence is still messed up and they do their own investigations by "speaking" to their own employees about what happened when the customer has photographic evidence of what happened.

I wish now I would have saved the videos that I took that the heavy set guy from TECO yelled at me for taking because he said they do not appreciate getting posted on Social Media or other outlets and now I understand why because they are doing illegal things like messing up our fence then refusing to compensate for it and just saying they didn't cause the damage by letting their own people investigate their own people and having no proof to back up their words.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I really wish there was more competition for energy. How does TECO still remain a monopoly in this day and age? I pay every month, and I was a few days late and they send someone to disconnect... I get it... But they send the rudest, nastiest pieces of ** out to do it. I tried asking a question and was met with attitude because they know, you have no other choice... So what do they care. I tried asking if he could wait and I would make the payment right in front of him, he started yelling at me causing a scene in the middle of my neighborhood. I wish I got his name so I could have posted it here in the hope everyone would troll this **. To make matters worse, when I called to provide my receipt, the ho on the phone gave me nothing but attitude like I was interrupting her Jerry Springer reruns. I really hate TECO and hope somehow, someway they just get fined for creating a monopoly.

Original review: July 6, 2017

Trying to transfer service with TECO experience has been a living nightmare. First of all they no longer transfer your deposit, they will final out your bill, apply your last bill to your deposit, if any credit remaining they will mail you a refund. Tampa Electric will charge you a new connect fee as well as a new deposit. So in other words I'm basically opening up a new account. This is not consider transferring service. This is when the nightmare begins. I was quoted a new deposit of $263. Already had a $400.00 deposit on my original account. After finalizing the final bill I was left with a credit or about $135. So I waited for the refund which never came. I then decided to call Tampa Electric and inquire where is my refund. To my knowledge they advised me that Services was turned on in two locations for me, 8317 and 8319. A mistake made in error on their part.

Then they hit me with the whammy and advised me that my deposit would be $415 basing it off the deposit I already had on my account. I was told to pay the new deposit and current bill. Which totaled over $500 to keep my services on. I explained that I was quoted $263 for my new deposit. The representative was like "Oh well I'm sorry but this is what you would need to pay if you want your services to remain on. You can call some agencies to see if they can help you pay the bill". Showing no compassion for the mistake that they made. And I still did not receive the credit for my deposit.

I spoke with Tampa Electric again the next representative apply the $135 credit to the account. They could have done that in the first place. With all the moving my finances were limited. I called to make payment over the phone. I was advised I needed to pay additional deposit of $273.15. If I was not able to pay the $400 deposit what makes you think I can pay the additional $273.15 deposit.

Original review: June 29, 2017

My bill was due on the 16th of June and Tampa Electric said they sent out a disconnect letter and called my phone but I never received either one!! I hate dealing with Tampa Electric company!! But what can you do when they the only light company in Tampa!!! I work very hard and don't deserve this treatment!!! The only thing I received in the mail was a letter about charging me more on my deposit if I don't pay my account in full. I moved in last year in December! I really don't think that's fair!!!

Original review: May 24, 2017

I started service with Teco Jan 2017. Since I moved into my condo they have not mailed me a single bill. Three months into my service I receive an automated message stating that my service was going to be disconnected. I contacted their customer service immediately and made sure that my bill was paid in full. I asked customer service why was I not receiving any bills? They told me that they were not sure but they showed on file that my bills were being returned. I verified with them my address and they said it was correct. I would assume so since they are billing me for services rendered.

Today is May 23rd 2017 and I get home from a long flight a little after 11 PM to my condo that has no electricity. I called to see if there was a power outage and the automated system said that my service disconnection was due to a past due bill. I hurry to my mailbox just to verify if I received any notification but after all these months I still have not received a single bill. Luckily my phone had 43% battery and I used it as a hotspot so I would be able to log into my online account and it says that my service was disconnected. I made sure to pay my bill in full but they have no emergency contact number to get my electric back on.

It is now May 24, 2017, 2:24 AM. I'm laying next to my sliding door hoping to avoid heat exhaustion. I've been out of town for 10 days and everything that I had in my refrigerator has spoiled which has left an awful smell in my home. I now have to wait until they turn my electric back on and all of this could have been avoided if they would just send me my bill. I understand that it is my responsibility to make sure my utilities are paid but I rely on receiving a monthly notification via email or a mailed hard copy as a reminder. They charge for delivery of bills so that is their responsibility to get monthly billing to the customer.

If I could sue them for the extreme inconvenience, the extremely hot sleepless night, and for the spoiled food I would and then some. We live in the state of Florida and they should be prepared to turn on services within a couple hours. It could be life or death for many and I can't imagine why they would not have that in order. Such a disappointment.

Original review: April 18, 2017

We moved to Florida and tried to establish an online TECO account - twice, for residential service. We have a excellent credit rating. They were converting from one system to another. End result, neither the first or second account would let us log on. They have now terminated our ability to pay by phone, making us drive 30 minutes to pay our bill IN CASH! Horrible service, horrible technical support, no customer concern whatsoever. We plan to make a formal complaint, and request an investigation.

Original review: March 19, 2017

Teco has created two accounts for me. Under one account # have been paying every month. The other account # they have listed me as never have made a payment and past due $300.00. I have proof via bank statement that I have paid them. Now that I have set up my online account. The information from the other account # that I have been paying monthly. Magically disappeared as if I never paid. Teco has lost all my trust in them because they have shirty and thieves for employees that create this kind of problems so they can embezzled money to put in their own pocket.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2017

TECO has constant power hits. Why do I even have to give them one star... 1 star implies they are least doing ONE thing right. I live in South Tampa, down near MacDill AFB. I think I average a power hit or surge about once a week. Had another one at 9:21 am this morning, took my home network 10 minutes to recover. One of these days they are going to blow my TV or one of my many computers in the house. About 50% are soft hits (some devices reset) and others are hard hits (where every electronic device resets). It's the hard hits that are the most dangerous and no surge protectors or battery backups will ever offer 100% protection against hard hits. No joke... averages about once a week. I have lived in a lot of locations, never have I seen so many power hits and outages as TECO has. Probably more in the last 4 years than in all my previous 12 cities/locations (over 44 years) combined.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2017

I have been with TECO just recently and never had a problem until I tried to reinstall electric in a home I had recently lived in (and returned to a mere 3 weeks later). This time a very RUDE lady with an "attitude" acted as though I was a criminal. No matter how much ID I gave her INCL. my former TECO acct.#...it was never enough. She kept me on the phone for 20 mins (and I have ltd. mins. on my phone). She said they had to "know" me for a full two years, regardless of my previous good standing with them, in order to "trust" me! Imagine!! She actually "threatened" to call the credit agencies "unless" I would pay a hefty deposit...I think $100-200 dollars...and made it sound like an actual THREAT.

This is highly UNNECESSARY behavior for ANY utility company...and I had been with them a few years ago, and I do not remember THIS kind of treatment then. She sounded like an older lady, and I wish I had gotten her name. I do not know what changed; but this company treats its customers HORRIBLY; and I don't know what truly "needy" people must go through, if 'ordinary' retired seniors are treated in this manner? They have turned into a nasty, HORRIBLE company! Go elsewhere IF you can!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

I signed in a month ago. Had a problem. They now change how you sign in with a password. So I created a new sign in. They sent me a bill last month. Oh I'm trying to sign in today and can't get in. My computer allows me to save my sign in and password along with my account number. Unfortunately now that don't work. Tampa Electric is telling me it's the wrong account. I had the same account for five years. They keep changing things and it messes everything up. I emailed them with a complaint. They make it very difficult for anyone to get online and pay your bill.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

I spent 4 hours today trying to contact customer service with TECO. Each time I was placed on hold for 30+ minutes only to have the call disconnected. I even tried the emergency line and the same thing happened. Every time in the past that I've tried to reach a representative with TECO I experience the same thing. When I do finally get in contact with someone they are of little or no help and are rude. Simply need to update my online account info. This should not be such a hard thing to do. If I had an option for my electric needs I would leave this company in a heartbeat!!!!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

I already paid 2 deposits and I've been behind on my bill since they did that. Let me just say me, my boyfriend and my two kids lived in this house for a year, last year in Nov I paid my deposit. They charged me another $140 deposit in May because my k Watts went up. Am I the only that aware that there's always a time of year when you have to use more electricity in Florida to keep your house cool? This was setup to make us fail. I called them today to ask why they're going to raise my bill again. They said, "Well you haven't been paying your bill on time, you've been a week behind every month." I told them it's because the extra deposit I've been behind on everything since then. He said he finds it hard to believe that's why I'm behind on my bills and said I need to get my priorities straight...

Before the second deposit my bill was never paid late not once and this is how I get treated. Not to mention in May when they charged us the second deposit my boyfriend's mom was dying in hospice and they shut off our power while we were visiting her... We had to call them stay on the line 'cause they were closing for the weekend. My boyfriend ran while on the phone to Amscot paid $200 which was our electric bill charge. But they said they need the deposit as well as our monthly bill and without that they wouldn't turn it back. That was all our money. We told them we have a 6 month old in the house. They said they don't care. They need the whole balance or the power will be shut off when we return home for the whole weekend. I grabbed a loan for the extra 150 not that info was of their business but tell me I don't have my priority straight after paying on time and getting screwed over and paying basically a double bill...

I was like wtf do you mean? I have 2 credit card bills, electric, and my weekly rent. My bills get paid before I can even put gas in my car. How about Teco gets its ** together? If another company pops up y'all can kiss my ass. I'll be there first one to leave Teco and I'll be happy AF. (Btw I've had Teco for 4 years at my other house and never had this rudeness. Never once had a late payment. They never raised my deposit before. Either this is all new to me and they're doing it for the second time next month...) They use to care if you had a baby in the house. They would turn it back on for you. Now they don't give a **. Probably just pissed because we didn't pass the law allowing them to charge us for solar. Wtf you wanna charge me for air to breath too?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2016

Typical TECO, they can't keep our power on for more than a few days without an outage or glitch that resets clocks and security lights but after eleven years of service with them they just sent us a deposit demand for $110 or disconnect. Hands down the worst utilities company I have dealt with in my fifty years and four countries. They need prosecuted for blackmailing customers into giving them money for no apparent reason. Horrible service and even worse billing!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

I called to have my electric turned on weeks before I moved in. I received a bill and was charged $50.00 for not setting up my account. I called from our leasing office and found out TECO made an error on my profile, not adding my apartment number. I was told if I paid I wouldn't have my electric turned off and I'd see a credit. Now, not only are they saying I cannot get a credit they also say they don't see where I paid it. Worthless customer service.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2016

I paid my bill online with a current check to me everything was fine. I never got a confirmation in my email about me submitting the payment which was weird to me. After 4 days Tampa sending me an email about my check was returned because of not enough refund. I contacted my bank. I was told that there was no check submitted and that there was no reason for the bank to return it since I had enough funds in my account. Teco charged me $30.00 more for an imaginary check return. This is outrageous. In which country are we and what century!!!!? Beside all that, hardly anybody is talking about this company. The newspaper needs to take care of this abusive business. Nobody is above the law. I talked to a lot of residents and everybody is hurt from this monster. This is the home of the Brave and the Tea Party Heroes. Enough already!!!!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2016

My gf left me at the end of the month. I was catching up on bills had TECO draft the payment out of my ACH account. They took a whole week from the due date to attempt to take the funds out. The day they tried my debit card was stolen and TECO send me a mail the following day saying I'm being charged a check bounce feed due to my account being frozen. I contacted TECO, customer service was rude as usual. I've been catching up on paying them for the last two months then they disconnected my power even though I had an e-bill saying my new bill was due on the 12th. Now I have to pay a reconnect fee... I have paid over 250+ $$$ in the last 3 months for service that is for a 1 bedroom apartment... Now they want me to pay an extra 60 dollars for a deposit, because my bill equals out to more the 2 months of service... I can't wait till my lease is up and I don't have to deal with this Comcast version of electric...

Original review: July 5, 2016

I live on a very tight budget, am a single mom with two children, and working two jobs. I'm very busy and, in a rush, accidentally paid a bill twice. I realized it immediately and called the next day since I assumed it would take some time to process in their system. I explained what happened to the rep and also explained my circumstances, and needed them to issue me a refund for the second payment as I had other household expenses, such as groceries, that I needed the money for. I was flatly denied. The representative told me that they did not issue refunds, only credits. Is this legal? Do they not have an obligation to return my overpayment when requested? Isn't that a violation of servicing laws?

So the next month comes along and I find that they did not apply my credit correctly to the next bill. It should have been fully paid with a remaining credit balance. I am writing this review and have opened my account on this ConsumerAffairs website, all while waiting on hold to speak to a customer service representative. The recording told me that I will have to wait over 30 minutes to speak to a representative. No wonder I'm waiting in line with all of the bad service this company thanks its paying customers with. Where are the regulatory services? Hope they finally step in and require better service standards! MONOPOLIES REALLY STINK!

Tampa Electric Company Information