2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

Florida

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.16/5

Tampa Electric Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tampa Electric?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tampa Electric?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

Installed new meter sept 2020. Electric bill went 90$ to 500$. All neighbors the same. There is an error somewhere. Have to go off grid. People wake up. Do not have auto pay or won't receive refund....

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

I feel like my money has been stolen for the last 20 years by this company. I was not in my house for two months and they are still charging. In cold season they include a heater even if you don't have one and in hot season they include an AC even if you don't have one. When you speak to customer service they treat you like you are begging. I WANT TO SUE THEM BECAUSE THEY HAVE LEFT ME IN RUIN.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 27, 2020

TECO is offering a backup electric generator from Generac. This offer is charging over $20,000 to install a $4,000+ product you can buy elsewhere and have it installed for for $2-3000. Many people are rating this generator as 1 star, mainly on its reliability as poor and lack of company backup. So a question to TECO is why are you charging about $13,000 premium? I have a Kohler 20kw generator, it costs lots less, have been reliable in the times it's been needed and it has an engine made in WI not China like these Generac may have.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Why would an electric company having a floating due date, except to set customers up to fail. Everyone works on a budget, with set pay day or dates, and expenses for each. I get paid every 1st, and my TECO bill is due the 1st or 2nd this month, then the 28th or 30th next month, of course my payments will be late about 50% of the time. This makes no sense. Electricity is not a luxury. It is not optional. This practice should be illegal.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

Method of payment was 1 money order and 1 cashier's check. Teco credited me for the check but somehow lost my money order, given the fact they were mailed together. I was told by a CSR that since I used a money order to pay, it wont be recognized as a payment! What!? I've been paying with a money order since 2014 and now I'm stuck paying this bill again with late fees attached. It is a shame that they don't take my money orders anymore so now I have to pay more money just to pay my bill, UNACCEPTABLE PRACTICES but it's not like I can vote with my wallet on a monopoly company. Still almost 2 months later no reply and got stuck paying my bill twice. A complete sham!!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

Ever since they put in a smart meter my bills have jumped from 115-130 to 220 - 250 this is insane. It has nothing to do with summer. I have a routine and never change to thermostat. I really wish the news or someone would look into this. I cannot be the only person to see such dramatic increases.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I have used TECO since 2008. I am not happy with the way TECO services its clients. They are not understanding to families needs whatsoever. I don't shutting my services off after not paying, not because I didn't want to but because I had to choose to either pay my TECO bill or buy groceries for my children! They are robbing us and it's not fair! You can barely get an extension, which I have never qualified for, mostly because I'm a single parent working full time at a non-profit. I'm doing the best I can and TECO couldn't care less. All it seems TECO cares about is getting richer while steady taking my whole paycheck.

Original review: July 31, 2019

My bill was due 7/29. It is now 7/31. Just two short days later. We just moved, haven't settled into a routine yet, and missed the payment by accident. It happens. Not a big deal, at least not to me, but apparently Teco thinks it is. It is only two days past the due date, and they have already issued a disconnect notice and sent it to my email. 2 days, people..2 days. What kind of company does this??? Of course I'm gonna pay it before the disconnect date, and I might add I've had perfect payment history for the past several years before this...but what kind of messed up company provides no grace period for payments? This is completely unacceptable. As soon as there is another option in my area, this company can kiss a donkey as I walk out the door.

Original review: May 7, 2019

This company is the worst electric company I've ever had. My lights go out at LEAST 2-3 times a week; They come back up within a few minutes, but I work from home (on a computer), so this is constantly causing me to lose work. Who's going to compensate me for that? Not Teco, that's for sure!

Original review: May 5, 2019

They sent my bill. It has an account number. Their automated system doesn't recognize the number....RIP....As echoed by everyone above, they may have humans working on the power lines, but it's obviously just a bunch of monkeys dutch ruddering each other's typewriters over at the corporate office. Enjoy your self-defeating monopoly while it lasts **.

Tampa Electric Company Information