California

3.6/5 (75 ratings)

About Pacific Gas and Electric

Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pacific Gas and Electric?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pacific Gas and Electric?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

I have used the same type of appliances every year for 10 years. Checked for grounds, unplugged everything and watched the meter as I plugged everything back in and there is absolutely no way my bill should be 400% higher than it has ever been. Attempted to get on CARE program 3 times and they've "lost the paperwork" every time. Contemplating living without power because I cannot possibly continue to pay the bill. Candle check?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

If I could give them less than 1 star, I would. For 15 years I have had a home-based business. Every single PG&E bill has been paid with a company check for that entire time. I received only a $100 credit for the power outages when I should have received a $250 credit. I provided ample documentation supporting the home-based business (license, FBN, etc.). PG&E refuses to credit me the additional $150 because 51% of my residence is not used for business-purposes. A complaint has been filed with the PUC. They're threatening to disconnect my power if I don't pay the $150 which I withheld as they failed to credit me properly. A civil lawsuit will be filed if they cut off my power, which will include a daily business loss of revenue. Oh, by the way, it cost me thousands to have a transfer box installed here, plus I had to purchase generators, to keep my business up and running during their planned power outages. This is such BS.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

Tesla put Solar panels on my roof August 13, 2019. They have yet to give the ok to turn the panels on. I wish we had another choice for power. This monopoly is worthless. Nearly 6 months now. When you call them you are put on endless holds.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I recently moved to Kern County and heard complaints about this company and thought nothing of it....until now. I have two major issues with this company. 1) if you set up a recurring payment, these people will hound you via email about setting up paperless billing. Mind you, you have completed all requirements but they still pester you. 2) I set up everything for recurring payment, they send me an email today saying that I used a credit card/debit and that it is not allowed. Meanwhile if you go to their page, they give you the option to use checking, savings, and CREDIT CARD OR DEBIT CARD. They sent me an email threatening to pull the deposit from my account if I did not change my payment option to checking. Total misinformation by PGE. I wish I was getting my services from Edison. I never had an issue with them or SoCal gas. This company is horrible. Customer is lazy. You call and they act like they do not want to help you at all.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

The PG&E Corporation has determined that profits for executives and shareholders come before the customers who provide them with those very profits. Over the 30 odd years I have been a PG&E customer, they have consistently raised their rates in order to raise their profit margin. In addition, even after the Camp Fire in Paradise in 2018, the Public Utilities Commission in Sacramento voted to allow them to raise their rates to fund the bankruptcy PG&E filed after the fire that resulted from the neglect of their equipment that killed 85 people. Unbelievable! So, in a nutshell, PG&E is willing to reach into the pockets of its customers to cover their liability and line their own pockets.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

Do you think it would be difficult to live in places like Argentina, Uruguay or Paraguay where the power grid is antiquated and not up to the job? Move to California and experience a third world power grid for yourself. PG&E has allowed it to fall into a fragile state. It is so bad that normal seasonal winds keep their hands on the cutoff switch ready to throw huddled masses into the dark... again and again. Living in the dark without heat or refrigeration is now their new standard for the 21st century. It is time to break them up. We need more local municipal power companies which will put profit taking on the back burner in order to keep the citizen’s front burners working. I am a senior citizen and, in my experience, electricity was safer and more dependable back in the 50s and 60s. Shame on you PG&E.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

So here I am literally surrounded by fires. The sky is so full of smoke that we have to wear masks to walk the dog. So far we're safe, but in a few hours who knows. All day we've been trying to find out whether we'll be subject to power outages, just like the ones last week. So after taking 15 minutes to sign into the PG&E website I can't access the part where I can sign up for alerts much less search for information. I suppose a poorly designed, poorly functioning website dovetails right into the rest of the PG&E culture.

Enough is enough. People of California, we've been duped long enough. The time has come that we demand Sacramento seize, yes seize the assets of PG&E under eminent domain. The salaries and bonuses of all employees in excess of $150,000 should be rescinded. This company is made of people and they have demonstrated such a level of gross incompetence that they no longer deserve to survive as a private entity.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

Power shutoffs not needed. PG&E strikes again. After a 3 day 3rd world nightmare just weeks ago they are at it again. What have they been doing since then...aside from being parked in parking lots, sides of roads and gas stations. It is not our fault that pg&e is lazy, ignorant, greedy, and just plain mis-managed. They shut off all these counties on the possibility of wind gusts. There will always be wind gusts on any given day. Fires are an unfortunate part of life and that does not give an ignorant company the right to play God with our livelihoods. I'm sure none of the pg&e jerks in charge are affected in their homes.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

Oh you think PG&E deserves two stars… You must be kidding right? This has got to be one of the worst corporations on the planet. Like living in a Third World country, they can’t even keep the power on in Northern California and keep shutting it off to protect us from a danger that was created solely by their corporate greed. Shame on them for putting profits before their customers. It’s time we Californians turn this company into a public utility that serves its customers rather than its shareholders. Let’s get a petition together and do this!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

The wind hasn't blown here since the first day of shutoff, yet we just got power back last night, 3 days later. When the power came back on, the first time I tried to use it, it blew everything, so now I don't have running water or anything else, which I at least had with the generator. I have an electrician coming "whenever" to look at this mess. For decades PG&E has neglected its equipment and lines and now that the chickens have come home to roost and they have massive class action lawsuits, they are making everyone suffer. The sooner PG&E is broken up into smaller companies, the better. Erin Brockovich, where are you?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

Our cell towers thru ** were a zilch. Nothing. Not even after the power was turned on. These flip phones are the communication between myself as I work to my disabled husband, who has had a 5 way bypass and is diabetic insulin dependent. He had a glucose reaction and tried to call me. Luckily the neighbor heard his beckons and called my client where I work on her phone which was working. I fled home. He is alright but it could have been horrific. Shame on those bigwigs at PGE for their disdain for human compassion.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

The safety shut offs are stupid. It's like PG&E is admitting they aren't capable of providing safe power any more. What has changed? The only difference I can see is that they have a bunch of aged equipment and unkempt transmission lines that rather than fix they are just shutting off power. If they cant do their job safely let's get someone that can do the job. Are we gullible enough to believe that electricity can't be supplied on a windy day without shutting off the power for safety. Why is P G & E the only power supplier in the country having to do these shut offs?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

We are unfortunately affected by the PG&E power outage and while we understand that is necessary, we were not given an adequate amount of time to deal with the situation. I am very fortunate to have a generator but we have neighbors and Friends that are in need of power due to medical reasons, financial reasons i.e. Going where they are able to plug in life support systems, etc. Losing all perishables that with more time they could have found a temporary home for (we're making room in our refrigerator) but now don't have the money to replace. There are elderly people that with a better time frame could have made arrangements to be taken to their loved ones, etc. This is happening we're told due to weather conditions. If we are able to get 14 day forecasts and beyond, why wouldn't we have had at least a 48 hour notice, one would think. PG&E YOU ARE DESPICABLE!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

While I understand PG&E has to make changes it seems they have earned the right to do what ever they want without explanation. I am home owner in Calaveras county. I guy showed up at our house that is not a PG&E employee and marking my yard for a power poll. I approached him to ask him what he was doing and he told me. He stated they were removing any lines connected to trees and placing in power poles. I asked him several questions and he said he didn't have answers and to contact PG&E. I have attempted to find information on how to appeal what they are doing and have been unsuccessful.

I can not find any one at PG&E who can answer my questions or is willing to help in any way. The man who came to the house said "Good luck we're doing this in 2 weeks" so I know not much can be done in that amount of time. Such a lack of professionalism. I mean I am concerned about giving them part of my yard and god knows how much easement they get with out answers. I mean all they ever gave me was a bill.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

I get notices that send me place to place with the same information in each place. I lose power when the daytime winds at 17 mph turn to 6 mph winds at nightfall. I lost power longer than those who live in a more dense area. Our power lines are also underground. I lost power for 19 hours and now they are saying I may lose it again tonight for the same reason as last night. I understand shutdowns when there are those really high wind gusts, but 6 mph??? My husband has been on CPAP for 10 years and we certainly can't afford a motel room at $100 a night.

I think PG&E is just putting on a show with their political buddies to try to show who's in control. Utilities should never be a part of the stock market corporate world. It needs to be regulated like it used to be. My electric bill is already really high and I don't even use the A/C because I can't afford it. I don't use the heater either because I can heat the entire house with a pellet stove and run it all day. I can only run central heat for 2-4 hours total and it still costs more than pellets.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Why do we not have a choice of our utility providers? PG&E does what they want because most California politicians have PG&E money in their pockets. Mandatory Smart Meters were forced upon us. Then we get charged more to use power on the days and hours we need it most under the guise of "excessive power usage during those hours" calling them "Smart days". PG&E filed bankruptcy. Why are we still paying them? Because the California legislature props them up as too big to fail. Of course they like the PG&E money in their pockets and care noting about the constituents that vote them into office. Vote them out, demand a choice, and force the corrupt PG&E to dissolve.

Original review: July 22, 2019

PG & E is clearly out to punish its low and moderate-income clientele who have no choice but to continue using its services and have no access to appeal. A blatant fleecing of the customer base, no doubt to cover costs associated with active and impending lawsuits. For shame!

Original review: July 17, 2019

Our home is near overhead high voltage lines, so every few years our pine tree needs to be trimmed. In the past, a certified tree company would do the trimming. This year, [5] men showed up to do the trimming. I was told that they were to cut the top [4] limbs. Instead, they cut off the top 1/3rd of the pine so that what is seen is literally a stump 100 feet in the air. What was once a magnificent pine is now hard to even look at. And to add insult to injury, the tree now runs the notable risk of being infected by tree-killing bark beetles. My mistake was not to ask for identification and to verify that they worked for a tree company. I didn't do that because of favorable past experience. But a truck with no logo on the door should have been a red flag to me, but I missed that clue. Too late now, but in the future I will always insist on identification.

Original review: June 30, 2019

After many years of paying my bills on time, this utility company continues to mislead and deceive its customers with policies that threaten our safety while maximizing profits and profit-taking for the executives. Where is the PUBLIC UTILITIES COMMISSION? Why has this abuse of the public continued? Where is the accountability in my area where 5 wildfires have decimated our county. Execs are busy taking deals in the bankruptcy while our rates increase, service decreases, we're left with the bill for natural disasters that killed people. Meanwhile, I'm expected to contribute to the dysfunctional mismanagement of our natural resources.

Original review: June 22, 2019

This company should be ashamed of themselves and I hope they rot in hell. To be pregnant and sitting in the dark to consistent power outages is really tiring. To speak to representatives who are unhelpful and express no empathy for their customers is unsettling and I have enough. The fact that this is the only company to utilize is very disappointing. This is the third outage in a area where consistent outages should not be happening. You have street lights down, where’s the safety in that? And they have no sense of urgency.

I am absolutely tired of this company and their lack of integrity as a business of this stature. They of course get away with it because they are the only company to use for electric and gas services...a company with no competitors will never give a damn. I hate them so much. They are just killing people and getting away with it, consistent issues with power lines starting fires and don’t get me started on the Tubbs Fire. How sickening. My heart breaks.

Original review: May 25, 2019

Following the Camp Fire which destroyed the town of Paradise, CalFire concluded that faulty PG&E equipment and their failed infrastructure was the cause of this, California's worst fire in state history. Their response? Bankruptcy. Their plan going forward? To deprive as many as 5,000,000 (that's five million!) people of power on hot dry days when fire danger is high. This is absurd! In Chico and surrounding California areas there is no such thing as a summer day that is NOT hot and dry with high fire danger! How in the world are we supposed to live like this? How are businesses supposed to operate with no power? How are people supposed to stay informed or connected during emergencies without power to run their devices?

How are people supposed to keep their food and frozen food fresh when there is no power for days? This is not acceptable! They are basically declaring war on the citizens of California. The Camp Fire was their fault —— not ours! They should pay the price, not the citizens of California! The result will likely be millions of lawsuits by businesses and individual families that are hurt by this 3rd-world solution of theirs. How are we supposed to "prepare" for extended power outages? What are we supposed to do with perishable or frozen food? And what about all the stores, supermarkets, warehouses and delivery companies supposed to maintain their vast inventories of perishable food? Will PG&E pay to replace our food loses?

And what of those folks with disabilities and the elderly that have no heat tolerance and are reliant on air conditioning in order to survive the excessively hot Central Valley summers? PG&E has proven time and time again that their only concern is for their shareholders. They have neglected to maintain the power grid infrastructure over the years, have failed to follow through with 50-year-old plans to bury most power lines underground and have essentially thrown the entire state of California under the bus. And without people consuming power how is PG&E supposed to operate its own business so they can improve service to its customers? This is a very slippery slope they are creating, and all of us are on the verge of falling into the abyss.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I was billed twice and paid twice for apr. They won't reverse these bogus charges. I was involved in the Butte Mountain Fire in Jackson, CA, and was evacuated and almost lost our house. I now live in San Leandro, where in the past ten years, PG&E have murdered people in the San Mateo area and in the Paradise fire. They have cost people pain and suffering due to their unwillingness to keep their equipment up-to-date and to trim foliage away from their equipment. When I lived up near Jackson, in winter, there were constant outages due to limb breakage from snow heaviness. They couldn't be bothered to keep the trees trimmed, causing people to go for not only hours, but sometimes days without power. Same as with Paradise, CA.

Now they're being sued, and rightly so, so they're overcharging everyone and I know they're raising their rates to try to stay in business so they can steal even more money from their customers. Just shameful that the people running this operation are pocketing the money instead of caring about peoples' lives and possessions, not to mention the forest devastation and the poor wild animals that lost their lives in PG&E-responsible fires. SHAMEFUL, YOU MURDERING CHEATS AND LIARS!!!

Original review: April 12, 2019

My PG&E bill for last month was $497.00.. Double my average bill. I complained to the CPUC for this outrageous increase. Took time to fill out entire form and sent info to support my complaint. I have since received a response from PG&E which included my service statement for correct and corresponding usage (both electric & gas), Showing what the “smart meter” recorded. These figures do show an increase of usage but also confirm how much more I am now paying for each unit of energy. Also included in the letter response were rules and terse warning that I should not waste their time unless I had indisputable proof...whatever that means.

PG&E never offered to come out and check their “smart meter” etc. In other words like it or lump it. I also received a letter response from the CPUC stating virtually the same language... Totally agreeing with PG&E, What a waste of time.. The CPUC is definitely in the pocket of this corrupt utility that blew up one city (San Bruno..where I live), and burned down another town (Paradise) and are now passing on to the consumer the total cost of their shoddy maintenance and bad management. What is so appalling and wrong is that the regulatory agency that is suppose to protect the consumer from these types of abuses instead sides with the utility and passes the costs onto the powerless consumer. PG&E needs to be broken up and the CPUC needs to be replaced by a consumer protection agency that does its job. Please find, join and support established watchdog consumer groups to help these two goals come to be.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Feb 12, 2019 around 3 pm I called PG&E regarding a cable that was dangling low. They sent someone and cut the cable and left. I was expecting them to raise it but they didn’t as it was not their cable. It belonged to AT&T according to the supervisor that I spoke with. So we were left with no internet connection. The earliest date an AT&T technician is available is March 18. I find it heartless and lazy. It’s easier to cut down the ground than get a ladder and pull the cable up. I regret reporting it to PG&E. I wish they left it alone.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I live in Northern California and my PG&E bill went from 80 dollars in 2015 which I abused roughly on purpose! To get a feel for my new home's use and charges but it stayed under 100 dollars the whole year. Winter 2016 rates started to increase. Average bill 125-150. Winter 2017 250 dollar average bill. Winter 2018 250-350 average bill. Winter 2019 bill is 400-600 dollars and accumulating because I am forced to pay payments for this high of a bill. PGE claims I was using more gas therms and this raised the rate. They checked my home and claimed there was no leak however the gas fireplace was disconnected because it was deemed hazardous. I am waiting for repairman to come next week.

There is a rival company that just came in and took over the distribution here in Monterey but I suspect it is PG&E with a fake name. There is no one to stop this Monopoly! With all of our price gouging customers here we should be able to win a case in the supreme court to dismantle any monopoly and make PG&E a public utility! Meantime I curse all those involved, their families and future progeny for their evil! May they suffer great disease and suffering to accompany their ill achieved gain!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

So from October of 2016 to December of 2018 I lived in a house with roommates. The first roommate put PG&E on in her name and I put the water bill in my name. We each paid the other for our portions of the bills. She moved out in October of 2017 and I got another roommate. We had the same setup, PG&E in their name and the water in mine. Again we each paid our portions. At the end of December 2018 I got my own place just me and my kids, I paid my deposit and the first bill. Then my February 2019 bill generated and it's almost $4,000. I called them to find out where the charges are from because it doesn't say on my bill and they informed me that the charges are from my previous residence. I told them that the bills were never in my name and that I paid my roommates for my portion.

They then tell me because the first roommate didn't pay her final bill and the second roommate never paid the bill I have to pay for the service because I benefited from the service. I talked to 5 different people and they all said the same robot response. I thought that was why you gave them your personal information like your social security number and driver’s license number so that way when you shut your services off, if you don't pay your final bill it gets sent to collections and it's on your credit report. I feel like what they are doing is illegal and unethical. I am in a losing Battle with them because I have to keep my service. I have a child on a life saving device so I can't be without service. I think it's time the government steps in and holds the Mafia that is Pacific Gas and Electric responsible for their illegal tactics.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Given a “time window” 8 am to 8 pm, I was waiting for the appointment whole day. Just nobody show up. When I call in they told me I’m still on the list so I should keep waiting. The last one even told me they may come at 11 pm. Now is 11:30, no phone call, nobody show up. This company is just having no sense of responsibility.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Sometime last year my bill got really high so I got on their payment plan. There were times where I could not pay the whole bill. That happened a few times but PG&E put me back on the payment plan. PG&E and their employees are very caring wonderful people that care about their customers. Their employees are very understanding and caring. I am a single mom and it was hard for me to make payments but PG&E worked with me. Today I have paid off my bill (0) until next month. Thank you PG&E???

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I use to live in a three bedroom home in Tulare, Ca where my electric and gas charges were reasonable. I moved to Bakersfield, Ca In December 2018. My first bill was for 232 dollars for a two bedroom apartment with only two adults. I was shocked because I knew my usage was not that high. Pacific Gas makes me sick. My second bill was 190. It's just too much. They’re making customers pay for their wildfire stuff and claimed bankruptcy. The sickening part is state is allowing this. People are not rich - living paycheck to paycheck - and it’s not okay for Pacific Gas to try and take advantage of people. There has to be something we can all do about Pacific Gas!!! Write written complaints with the consumer committee. Pacific Gas needs to stop being thieves.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

They shut off my power over a past due balance of about $200. I had been making payments each and every time I got paid. Despite it being cold, they still cut my power. Despite my low income status, they showed zero mercy. They claim it's because I didn't return their calls. I thought the generic message they left was for tree service in my area. After the humiliation of talking to several people, in person and over the phone they turned my power back on. I had to set up a payment arrangement that I couldn't agree too, because I'm in utter dire straights, but that was the only way to get the power on.

On the very next bill was a deposit for $150 which is now counting as a past due balance. If it's not paid in 15 days, they are threatening to again turn off my power. Nobody I spoke to in person or over the phone told me that I would be charged a deposit or that I would count as a past due balance. I even made payment arrangements, so why wasn't that included? And why can't I charge them a deposit for outages which are all too common in my area? Why can't I charge them a deposit every time I'm kept waiting on the phone for 30 mins before I can speak to someone?

If that wasn't bad enough, I attempted to pay the current bill via my bank account. I only had enough money in the account to pay that bill. Because their billing took more than a day to deduct the money from my account, an auto bill came through which took enough money out of my account to prevent their charge from going through. Why isn't this instant like everywhere else?

After I realized this, I went online to pay the bill again. This time I was only allowed to pay with a debit card which is farmed out to a third party and costs an additional $1.35. Why can't they process their own debit/credit card payments like every other business in California? Why are they passing on this fee to millions of their customers? It's their business expense, not mine. There should be no connivance fee to use the most common payment form. It's not like I'm paying with an archaic payment form like a check.

Now I log in today to make good on the payment arrangements that were set up. There's no longer any payment arrangement and no sign of it ever being there. I assume this is because my earlier payment didn't go through, but my second debit card payment did process. To make matters worse, when I attempted to pay regardless, I get an error disallowing me to make a payment with my debit card. I'm so distressed, I want to die. I can't believe they treat people this way, especially after overcharging us with those tiered rates. This is a public utility company with absolutely no human understanding. And come to find out they were responsible for at least 17 of the 21 fires in CA this past year. It's time for a regime change. We should not be letting this disgusting company off the hook with a chapter 11.

Pacific Gas and Electric Company Information