Constellation

formerly MXEnergy

3.1/5 (349 ratings)

About Constellation

Constellation Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MXEnergy?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2023

Subscribed to their service in 2013. Must have been a good deal at the time. Checked my price recently and they were $500.00 higher monthly than the local company. I do not know how long this was going on, they never made contact with me once my initial contract us up. I was then billed a "variable" rate. This most likely has cost me thousands over the years. It has taken me 4 days just to reach the company to get information. Hold times were anywhere from 2 to 4 hours for commercial customers. I was able to call and reach Customer Service for residential customers with limited hold times (6 or so minutes). I was always transferred, ending in several hours of wait time.

In order to go with our local gas company, I had to get a disconnect from this company before my local gas company could switch my services over. I had no choice to to endure the wait times and it took close to 5 hours on hold before finally getting to the correct Customer Service Representative to complete the transfer of gas services. Horrible customer service I would never recommend to use this company. Don't make the mistake I did. If you don't hear from them, get in touch as soon as possible. Good luck. I'm happy to finally be done with it all.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2022

Due to an automatic payment glitch, my gas was turned off for 5 days. We have kids and the weather will be in the 30’s before we can get it turned on. The customer service was terrible trying to work out this issue. We will definitely not be using this terrible company again. We would have appreciated a phone call or text before turning off such an important utility. We were told that kind of service was way above and beyond what the company was comfortable paying for. Constellation, after 12 years as a perfect paying customer, I will definitely change to a company that values its customer’s needs and safety.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 2, 2022

We recently purchased a new home and tried to switch Constellation over. When we renewed our 3 year contract, the sales guy told us that service is transferable if we move and we are guaranteed at the locked in price. After being on the phone for countless hrs, they insist on transferring service to the new home at a higher price than what we are in a contract for. So what is the point of a contract??? After being transferred to many reps, our call was finally escalated to the mgr. We received a call back from the mgr himself and he said we can transfer the service but at a higher rate. We told him that this was not what we were told and was very dissatisfied with this service and will be writing a review. He hung up on us! TRUE SCAMMER action! Please do yourself a service and use some other company and not Constellation. It was a horrible experience from the get go, from setting up the account for auto pay to billing.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

I received a PowerPlug from Constellation for being a customer. It works with an app that allows you to remotely control whatever devices (appliances, lights etc…) that you have connected to the PowerPlug. It was a neat little gift until it wasn’t. I’ve been unable to get on their app because it won’t recognize my name. After countless phones over several months they still can’t get it figured out! When I call now it’s the same old, "We’re working on it, will call you back" etc… A large amount of wasted time with no results. Now they don’t return calls or offer any assistance except to apologize profusely when I inquire to what the status of my work order is. So I have a plug that is essentially just that a plug. I’m so frustrated with their incompetence and indifference I don’t see keeping Constellation Energy when it comes time to renew.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

We have used this company for several years and have been pleased with their service. Plus their rates have been fair. During peak times, adjustments in relation to usage have been appropriate. They have been very responsive during any power outage or other issues that have arise.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

I finished a three-year contract with Constellation energy. And switch to another energy provider. Unbeknownst to me constellation seemingly sent me a renewal notice that I did not get. As a result of my switching to another company they hit me with $150 cancellation fee for the contract that renewed itself without my review. Calling constellation resulted in a unsatisfying call that indicated The only way to get rid of the $150 charge was to renew my contract with constellation. This should not be permitted. Contracts should be required to be reviewed by the buyer at renewal and I believe that constellation energy is violating some sort of consumer protection for the state of Maryland.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

If you use this company and want to pay automatically by credit card, be prepared for a disaster. The web interface is horrible and the customer service function is partly outsourced, and doesn't work well at all. Use Constellation only if you want to waste time on hold and deal with constant billing problems. This is easy with all of my other utilities and they have made an absolute mess of it.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

I enrolled to Constellation on a Friday and got an email from them that they have cancelled my enrollment and should I have questions contact them. I wanted to understand the rationale behind the cancellation and a Parrot (Becky was the name I suppose) they call as their Customer Agent, parroted 4 times "A Constellation Energy Customer Representative will call to provide you with the details" and that there is nothing she can do.

Fearing the worst, I enrolled into another REP. Then I get a call on Monday that I am successfully enrolled to Constellation!!! I had then call their wretched Customer Support again!!! The line was extremely bad. I pity Marla, the agent who tried to help me. I could not hear a word she was saying. Poor thing did try to help. However, apparently, post my call to them Constellation went ahead, reviewed my case and approved; AFTER CANCELLING my enrollment. Now I cannot go back to my previous provider and the have to wait for the new provider to enroll me... All in all an extremely bad experience. STAY AWAY FROM THIS ONE....

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

In MD there are far better choices on the PSC website. And, Constellation has many Complaints filed at the MD PSC. Just avoid. When you call to cancel the account you are put ON HOLD FOREVER, so you can listen to all their commercials. Bad and sad.

Original review: June 22, 2020

Constellation is a dishonest and "scam" of a company. Representative stopped into our facility 2-3 times a month for at least 6 months, brought bagel and donuts. He seemed like a genuine good guy, so we signed up. From the beginning, the gentleman disappeared. Stopped answering his cell phone. The rates we agreed on were doubled, energy bill was doubled. We moved to a bigger location less than a year into the contract they hit us with a $550 cancellation charge and 3 month service charges. PLEASE DO NOT LET THIS COMPANY IN YOUR OFFICE!! It's a Scam!!

MXEnergy author review by Jonathan Trout

Constellation is an independent energy supplier for Illinois and throughout the United States. It offers residential customers, small business owners, commercial and industrial companies and government agencies electricity, gas and solar solutions. It serves 2.5 million customers, including two-thirds of Fortune 100 companies, and gives back to communities across the nation.

• Residential services: Constellation offers multiple fixed-rate plans to fit your budget. You can choose the term of contract, and your monthly electricity bill will be the same throughout the length of your contract.

• Renewable electricity plans: Depending on the state you live in, a percentage of the electricity your home uses can be generated from wind energy sources. Constellation uses wind farms and wind turbines in certain states to provide clean energy sources where laws and regulations allow.

• Solar power: If you’re thinking about switching to solar energy, Constellation partners with Sunrun to help you outfit your house with a solar system. Sunrun offers flexible payment plans, including a zero down plan and a prepaid plan. The prepaid plan allows you to buy 20 years of power up front at the best price Sunrun offers. Constellation and Sunrun currently provide solar power in six states to residents who spend over $100 per month on their energy bill.

• Small business options: Constellation provides small businesses with custom energy plans and will help you find the right plan for your business. It understands running a small business comes with unique budget challenges and can make the difference in the size of your profit margin. If you’re a small business owner, you can contact a customer care representative to determine which energy resource works best for your company.

• Payment options: Constellation gives you multiple payment options to choose from. You can do a one-time payment option via direct withdrawal, check or credit card. You can choose a monthly recurring payment using a credit card or you can pay by phone. You can also set up an online account to receive paperless statements and manage your billing cycles.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team