2. Homeowners

formerly MXEnergy

3.9/5 (202 ratings)

About Constellation

Constellation Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Constellation?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about MXEnergy?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

I finished a three-year contract with Constellation energy. And switch to another energy provider. Unbeknownst to me constellation seemingly sent me a renewal notice that I did not get. As a result of my switching to another company they hit me with $150 cancellation fee for the contract that renewed itself without my review. Calling constellation resulted in a unsatisfying call that indicated The only way to get rid of the $150 charge was to renew my contract with constellation. This should not be permitted. Contracts should be required to be reviewed by the buyer at renewal and I believe that constellation energy is violating some sort of consumer protection for the state of Maryland.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

If you use this company and want to pay automatically by credit card, be prepared for a disaster. The web interface is horrible and the customer service function is partly outsourced, and doesn't work well at all. Use Constellation only if you want to waste time on hold and deal with constant billing problems. This is easy with all of my other utilities and they have made an absolute mess of it.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

I enrolled to Constellation on a Friday and got an email from them that they have cancelled my enrollment and should I have questions contact them. I wanted to understand the rationale behind the cancellation and a Parrot (Becky was the name I suppose) they call as their Customer Agent, parroted 4 times "A Constellation Energy Customer Representative will call to provide you with the details" and that there is nothing she can do.

Fearing the worst, I enrolled into another REP. Then I get a call on Monday that I am successfully enrolled to Constellation!!! I had then call their wretched Customer Support again!!! The line was extremely bad. I pity Marla, the agent who tried to help me. I could not hear a word she was saying. Poor thing did try to help. However, apparently, post my call to them Constellation went ahead, reviewed my case and approved; AFTER CANCELLING my enrollment. Now I cannot go back to my previous provider and the have to wait for the new provider to enroll me... All in all an extremely bad experience. STAY AWAY FROM THIS ONE....

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

In MD there are far better choices on the PSC website. And, Constellation has many Complaints filed at the MD PSC. Just avoid. When you call to cancel the account you are put ON HOLD FOREVER, so you can listen to all their commercials. Bad and sad.

Original review: June 22, 2020

Constellation is a dishonest and "scam" of a company. Representative stopped into our facility 2-3 times a month for at least 6 months, brought bagel and donuts. He seemed like a genuine good guy, so we signed up. From the beginning, the gentleman disappeared. Stopped answering his cell phone. The rates we agreed on were doubled, energy bill was doubled. We moved to a bigger location less than a year into the contract they hit us with a $550 cancellation charge and 3 month service charges. PLEASE DO NOT LET THIS COMPANY IN YOUR OFFICE!! It's a Scam!!

Original review: June 1, 2020

Bait and Switch Operation. Quoted me a price of 8 cents a KWH, but then changed to 16 cents a KWH for anything less than 500 KWH, and a minimum of $80 a month no matter how much electricity I will use....I am in the process of canceling the request for service and I am still with the old Provider and with this experience on the phone to cancel the request for service I feel they will be a NIGHTMARE company to deal with...Customer Service Providers are sitting in India and Philippines...have no clue...They hand up on you to avoid the cancelation....Avoid this company like COVID-19...Social distance this company forever or get some therapy planned ahead of time if you want to deal with them for a year.

Original review: April 24, 2020

Updated Review on 06/12/2020: Please do not believe anything you read about Constellation Energy at ** or **. These sites have many identical reviews despite representing customers from different states. This similarity indicates the reviews are manipulated. This particular review is an update from a previous review sent to ConsumerAffairs in April. It has not yet been posted because they are still waiting for a response from Constellation. Other review sites described in detail the predatory marketing practices of this brokerage company (they and their parent company EXELON are not really energy companies at all, much like Enron).

They convinced my wife, who has dementia, into changing gas providers. Then, when I attempted to change the account to my name (because of my wife's limited capacity to check the monthly billing emails) they asked for a ridiculous disconnect and reconnect fee. Since they are a brokerage company, and not a utility company, they have nothing to do with actually turning your gas utilities on or off. Then they split the account, but did not send me any of the bills or history from the old account. It looked as though they did not credit one of my payments, but it was actually credited to the old account for which I had NO information.

After months of complaining (both directly and through Better Business Bureau complaints) they finally explained that the payment was credited to the old account. Of course, I would not know this because I was locked out of that account in my wife’s name. Finally, I asked them to send me a zero-balance bill from the old account so I can pay the final bill on the other account and be assured they are not hiding any additional debt claims that I don’t know about. They have not responded even after I sent registered letters to their CEO and the CEO of their parent company (EXELON).

I have now spent more money trying to get a response than I owe them, so I have given up. Luckily I teach chemical engineering at a U.S. university so this experience is now an illustrative case study for both chemical engineering classes in the energy field, and in a class I teach in new technical startup. Constellation puts significant resources into its marketing, but its customer service infrastructure is dismal. You should avoid this company at all costs.

Original Review: I made previous complaints that Constellation messed my account and bill in various ways, and I terminated service with them. I am still not free of their utter incompetence as they claim I still have an unpaid balance with them. They failed to post a bank debit card payment of mine. I have the bank records and reference number for the transaction, but after several months I cannot get them to fix the error because I cannot penetrate the gauntlet of incompetence they call customer service. The people that work for customer service are quite nice, but they work for an incompetent corporation.

I have filed a BBB complaint and will sue them in small claims court should that not resolve the situation. Exelon is their parent company and it follows a revenue model of virtual energy companies like ENRON (perhaps you remember how that turned out). They are energy brokers that move energy resources around and then contract with local delivery companies that connect this resource to your home. Then they invest in the bare minimum level of customer service infrastructure to tempt with short term utility rates, but they cannot competently resolve issues when they make billing and account mistakes. I switched to Georgia Natural Gas, and I recommend you contract with a local provider even if it is a bit more expensive. Avoid Constellation and any of the subsidiary companies of EXELON which you can find at **.

Original review: April 9, 2020

The sales make a commission and because of that the sales rep I had to work with, Angela **, was just spouting lie after lie about anything she can to get me to sign. I actually read contracts and I told her that multiple points were the opposite of what she said (basically I would get all these extra charges and fees that she said she guarantees I won't get). She stated that those points in the contract are inaccurate and what she is saying is the truth, yet she said she was not willing to email any of that because 'she's not allowed to put any of this in writing' which is very odd. I said I can ask the customer service agents in email and see if they are willing to write any of the information back.

She said "you know what, clearly you're not comfortable with this so you shouldn't send anything and you should just think about what it is you want." Pretty odd too. So I emailed them anyway and turns out everything she said was a lie. Then I looked at the reviews of this company and I'm disappointed I didn't look earlier, otherwise I could've saved my time. Apparently, they have a reputation for their bad sales reps and poor service. I should've guessed when just to start service took a 30min wait time to get to a rep. That's always a bad sign.

Original review: April 9, 2020

Sometime around August of 2019, I used the chat function to discuss with an agent how to get my plan transferred from my parent's house to my new house. Never having done this before, I trusted whatever she was going to do was correct. She advised that I switch my plan over to the new house and that my parents sign up with a separate provider of their own. Sounded legit enough. Long story short, my closing date (which was also my switch date) came along and, lo and behold, power was completely cut off to my parent's house.

Naturally, we called the new provider of my parent's house (Gexa) and waited for nearly 2 hours, only to find that Constellation had sent an order to CenterPoint (main energy provider) to discontinue electricity service to my parents house, rather than simply transferring service to the new house and transitioning existing energy to my parents house over to Gexa. At the time, my mom was undergoing testing for breast cancer. She certainly didn't need this type of stress. In the middle of Houston heat, the house was burning up to nearly 80 degrees inside. With no internet, no means of cooking, no lights, and total discomfort, I decided to front a hotel, while Gexa promised to work it out with Centerpoint on how to expedite getting power restored to my parent's house the very next day.

It wasn't easy to find a place for one night and on a moment's notice, that was also pet friendly. Not to mention I was the only one with an available car since, you guessed it, my parent's car was stuck in the power operated garage. With work the very next day, I grabbed the basics and arranged to take an Uber to work so that my parents can use my car to get back (to an eventually powered up) home. I'm no expert, but there HAD to be SOME way that could have played out better.

I paint the picture with details because it doesn't end there, the WORST part was how Constellation reacted after I called to discuss and find out what had happened. I was unfortunately handed off to some guy who had zero empathy and zero respect. I'm not sure to this day that I have EVER been so disrespected. I got no answer or explanation for the mixup, except for phrases that could be summarized as "things happen when you are on chat, they don't always know what you mean" "you should be grateful, it could have been worse, everyone is OK."

If my call was truly recorded, I would love for them to pull the call up. There were also long periods of silence in between my time conversing with this idiot (no background noise), knowing I was clearly being muted, which infuriated me further. In summary, stay far, far away from this company. It doesn't take a trained monkey to do a little research and see how poor the reviews are. I'd pay a few extra cents if it meant getting better service than I got with them.

Original review: March 23, 2020

After being lured in by the promise of lower rates, they wound up noticeably higher than my electric supplier. Not only were they higher, but, after cancellation, they continued to bill me on an outside light at 148 kwh per month for 22 months (as you've likely noticed, electric bills are insane to try to read through and decode, so, I didn't notice it until my electric company pointed it out to me). Here's the slimy kicker- the outside light that they were still charging me for, doesn't even have a meter on it! MY electric company had set it up on a flat rate when first installed. So, how on earth could they charge by kwh?? Good question. Must be nice to just make up a number and charge the customer. I will be contacting the Attorney General and doing my best to shut these scumbags down!!!

MXEnergy author review by Jonathan Trout

Constellation is an independent energy supplier for Illinois and throughout the United States. It offers residential customers, small business owners, commercial and industrial companies and government agencies electricity, gas and solar solutions. It serves 2.5 million customers, including two-thirds of Fortune 100 companies, and gives back to communities across the nation.

• Residential services: Constellation offers multiple fixed-rate plans to fit your budget. You can choose the term of contract, and your monthly electricity bill will be the same throughout the length of your contract.

• Renewable electricity plans: Depending on the state you live in, a percentage of the electricity your home uses can be generated from wind energy sources. Constellation uses wind farms and wind turbines in certain states to provide clean energy sources where laws and regulations allow.

• Solar power: If you’re thinking about switching to solar energy, Constellation partners with Sunrun to help you outfit your house with a solar system. Sunrun offers flexible payment plans, including a zero down plan and a prepaid plan. The prepaid plan allows you to buy 20 years of power up front at the best price Sunrun offers. Constellation and Sunrun currently provide solar power in six states to residents who spend over $100 per month on their energy bill.

• Small business options: Constellation provides small businesses with custom energy plans and will help you find the right plan for your business. It understands running a small business comes with unique budget challenges and can make the difference in the size of your profit margin. If you’re a small business owner, you can contact a customer care representative to determine which energy resource works best for your company.

• Payment options: Constellation gives you multiple payment options to choose from. You can do a one-time payment option via direct withdrawal, check or credit card. You can choose a monthly recurring payment using a credit card or you can pay by phone. You can also set up an online account to receive paperless statements and manage your billing cycles.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team