Constellation (formerly MXEnergy)

Constellation (formerly MXEnergy)

Last updated: April 6, 2018

57 Constellation (formerly MXEnergy) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 6, 2018

Door to door salespeople who are super pushy and will try to trick you into changing suppliers. There’s a $150 fee to change away from Constellation and their rates are really high. Don’t get fooled by teaser rates and a $75 gift card.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I scheduled service turn on when I was more being to a new house with my daughters. I was told that I had to have a 4 hour appointment. I told the lady who was scheduling the appt that if I took a half day from work I would be there a few minutes after noon. I was assured that it would not be a problem. Since the house was vacant, I could leave the key under the doormat and they would call me when they arrive bed.

When I got to the house at about 12:30 they had already been there and did not call me or use either key to go into the house. I left a key to the front door and a key to the back door. When I called them there was no apology. I was just told that they cannot guarantee that the installers will do what was promised to the customer. If she had told me this I would have taken another hour off from work and made sure I was there for the entire 4 hour window. I am as told that they could not reschedule until 5 days later.

This morning it was 33 degrees when I left to take my daughters to school. He said that my daughters and I would just have to sleep in the freezing temperatures for 5 days with no heat. They would not attempt to rush the work since it was their error. I asked him to cancel the service and to send a confirmation email. He said that he would do so but lied to me because of course I never received an email from him. I hung up and contacted Gas South and they will be connecting the gas first thing in the morning on the next day. Why was Constellation going to force two kids under 8 years and of age to sleep in unheated house for 5 next gets? Very cruel and uncaring company! Next stop is the Better Business Bureau!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Got a email and letter that my contract was about to run. I called them and tried to negotiate a new one. We could not come to a agreement to a new rate, so I said I'm going back to my local utility, he said, "Well when the contract runs out you will roll back to the local utility." Lies. Nothing but more lies. Four months later I look at my bill and Constellation is still there at a rate out of this world. When I call them back, they say, "You didn't say cancel." "When I said to your representative, we can't come to a agreement on a rate and I'm going back to my local utility," I asked her, "What does that mean to you?" No answer, just that I didn't say cancel. So I started saying cancel loudly till she got the message. Watch out very underhanded people!!!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

The company violates two terms in their agreement to take advantage of consumers. First, they fail to give notification when the fixed term of the contract is expiring (as promised) and secondly they raised the unpublished variable rate (which kicks in as soon as the fixed rate ends) from .0799 to .1734 cent per kWhr even though their contract says their unpublished variable rate will never be more than .1500cent per KWHR. Their call center says there is nothing they can do and that the company has the right to raise rates higher than the values published in the contract.

Their business practices are deceptive at best and probably illegal. They get paid by adding their fees onto Jersey Central Power and Light monthly bill. JCPL tells me to talk to Constellation, Constellation says they cannot make any adjustments. I filed a complaint with the NJ Public Utility Commission and hope the state will prevent Constellation from ripping off other customers.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Why the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities allows this to continue should be a crime against consumers. It's not like Constellation Energy goes out of their way to notify you to renew. And the Utilities Commissions continue to allow these 3rd (rate) party providers to rape consumers when renewals lapse not only penalizing consumers for the month they missed, but for an additional month because it is nothing but a billing scam. My rate jumped from $0.0799 to $0.1791 because of a renewal lapse. I called Constellation Energy and they were absolutely useless. This must be the only way they are making money. I recommend all consumers stop doing business with these 3rd party loser because the sooner they go out of business the better. And the public utilities should be ashamed of themselves for letting these variable rate scams continue. I am done with 3rd party electric providers!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MXEnergy?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Beware! If you don’t renew energy providers immediately, Constellation will take you to the cleaners. I’ve been a loyal customer for a few years but I missed renewing my contract by a few days. Constellation took care of me and jacked up my rate to their highest rate and held it there for a month. I lost a few hundred dollars. When I called customer service, they confirmed that was what happened. They were sorry but wouldn’t fix anything. They did remind me I had a $150 cancellation fee. Could the best money I spend!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

My gas was turned off without notice. I called and was told that I did pay my bill but they did not know why my account was not credited at that time. My bank never received a bill debit, from my account but they sent me an NSF check fee. I told them I was not going to pay the fee so they said they would minus the $25.00 charge from the bill. I went ahead and paid the bill per the lady I spoke to without the fee. The next bill came and it showed the difference of $25.00 still added to the bill. I called again and they told me they would minus it again.

I got another bill. The fee was added again, I got another bill and this time they add an AGL reconnection fee of 25.00 to the bill. These people think that they dealing with a dummy. AGL does not charge a fee to reconnect. That was what I was told when they came to reconnect my gas. They are trying to get that $25.00 out of me anyway possible. They were arguing with me on the phone for 25.00, which I did not owe them. Please help me with this. They want to charge you with bill matrix every time you pay a bill online and they don’t have a local area for you to pay your bill. They also said they reversed the charge but the 25.00 keep showing as a balance on the account.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

A gentleman comes to my door and knocks, first off instead of standing behind the door he decides to move in position of my open window basically getting a full view inside my home. I was hesitant to answer, but since he was basically looking in he had already saw me (and not to appear rude) I answered. Once I answered he identified himself and made some ridiculous joke that he was there for dinner. I am not humorless, but there was nothing funny about asking for dinner. How about keeping this professional.

Additionally, after peeping into my window and seeing who he was I was less than enthusiastic to see him. He went on with a spiel about how my electric and gas companies are overcharging and he has been sent to the neighborhood to help and give all of us in the neighborhood a cheaper rate. I already have reservations about these 3rd party suppliers and have heard negative things from others in the past. Plus I do not sign up with anything door to door or over the phone, so I immediately shut him down. I told him that I had been sent literature from various suppliers and that I would do my research. If I wish to change and am interested I will reach out to switch.

He then just ignored what I said and kept on going with his sales pitch. I again told him I wasn't interested and he asked me why? I told him I was in the middle of something and that I again wasn't interested. He then went on to ask me if it was just a timing issue? I then became annoyed and told him Goodbye and closed the door in his face. Absolutely ridiculous. I will be investing in a "NO SOLICITORS" sign as this is not the first time these suppliers have come to my door. We just moved here 3 months ago and I have probably had 6-8 knocks on my door since then from these people. This time was the only time I answered and it will be the last.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

For the first month it was as promised, however, it sharply increased to be extravagantly more. For example, my bill for one light bulb in the hallway of my tenants went from $5 to $175 and then they back charged me the 5-month difference. I had a bill of $1,100 and was sent to a lawyer to collect it from me. After getting multiple employees to admit that the company was in the wrong, they still didn't change the bill. After 2 years of me going back and forth with the company's lawyer they "settled" for the exact amount that was still due. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. When I went back to local electric my bill was cut in half compared to the rate from the "money saving" company. I would suggest to no one, including my worst enemy, to use this company.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

A supposed agent (he had nothing to identify himself) knocked on my door and proceeded to try to get me to go to my computer and pull up my electric company bill. I had heard of these schemers before; so I told him no! He made it seem like no big deal that I open my bill to him so he can gather a bunch of info from me and then sign me up with his company without my permission. He looked and sounded real shady. I am going to put a no solicitation sign on my door to keep the likes of him and the bible thumpers away.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Karen ** account manager at Constellation NewEnergy contacted us to have them as our carrier. She promised in writing that we should receive $200.00 after 1 to 2 billing cycles. We called Customer service three time, every time we will open a ticket and no results. We tried to speak to a manager who they said gone for the day "every time". It was the biggest mistake to be part of this situation, so I decided as a Bookkeeper to pay the next bill less $200.0 and let them ask why!!!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I recently left for a summer trip out of the country. Before I left, I made a good-faith advance payment for the time I would be gone. When I returned, it turned out that the summer months drove up my bill by about $40 in excess of my prepayment. By the time I received the pink notice for shut off, I was one day away from having my power shut off over $40. To clarify, the pink notice was generated on one date and the shut off date was 10 DAYS later. I have been a customer with this business for over 7 years with virtually no history of payment issues. LEAVING. I don't care if this is industry standard -- I will leave the next one too if it comes to it. I have been looking for an excuse to shop for a lower rate anyway, and now I have it.

Original review: July 29, 2017

So off hand I will say that I'm not particularly fond of their solicitation practices as it can get rather annoying with this same young man coming in time after time even after I've told him no to the point that I almost called the police on him as well. I finally gave the guy a chance and he told me that he was gonna put me on the protection plan, get some floor level rate and it would stay there.

I opted for 6 months because I really still didn't fully trust the company but these past 6 months my rate has stayed the same and not gone up, like, I used to pay $670-$720 something a month in the summer and this summer it's been barely $490-$500, and when he came back to resign me up for 4 years, he showed me the comparison in the delivery side of the bill and it did go down a few bucks, wasn't too crazy but it did actually go down a little. I'm not a fan of the bills being separate but he told me that since they are still new in New York they are still working on having their bills be on the same page as ConEd. All in all I'm happy with this company, first company that actually does what they say they do.

Original review: July 25, 2017

A guy came to the door, told my boyfriend our gas company owed us a rebate. Signed me up for Constellation without our permission. I was the utility holder. I was not aware of any activities were made until later. They had his phone number with all my info from my bill. "He mentioned a rebate, nothing about new gas company," my boyfriend told me. When I found out I cancelled it and told them they had no right to switch my utility over from Nicor. They come to my house all the time now with bias lies to get me to switch over my utilities to Constellation company.

Next thing I know. 4 months later I was sent to collection for 65 Dollars. Called to complain and they hung the phone up on me, when I told them they broke the law and I owe them nothing. My boyfriend cannot give any permission to change my account nor give you my bill. Law one broken. Plus you are lying at people's doors to get business. And last, Sending people account to collection because Nicor didn't pay you after I switched my account back is between your two companies and not my pocket. I pay Nicor every month. Which that has always been the case. I will get a lawyer if you do not stop breaking the law and sending me to collections. Next I was speaking to a dial tone and she was a Chicago Manager. Some people skill.

Original review: July 16, 2017

In July 2017, they contacted me regarding my bill. They told me I needed to pay an amount around 62, in order to keep my gas on... I said "OK, let me check with my husband, and I'll get right back to you." I went to look for our paid bills, and my bank statement, and there were three payments made to them, that all had PINK slips. I had confirmation #'s for all of them. In April I paid them $174.70, in May, I paid them $62.69, in June, I paid them $44.00. All with receiving pink slips, I paid right away. Now, due to work, my husband lives in Houston 98% of the time, and he travels, and yes we have missed a bill here and there. So, they requested I speak with my bank, and ask them to send proof of payment. I did, and also asked them (the bank) to send me a copy of what they sent to Constellation.

Now keep in mind that I live here alone most of the time, the only thing that is gas is my cooking and water. Now my water bills run about $20.00 per month. How does one use that much gas in ONE MONTH??? Now I sit here tonight with NO GAS. It is Saturday July 15, 2017 and no one to contact at Constellation, they are CLOSED!! I received my proof of payment from the bank dated July 11, 2017. Assuming, (BAD) they received theirs??? In my conversation with Constellation, he told me I was 3 months behind??? WHAT??? Again, I questioned him... HOW DOES ONE PERSON USE THAT MUCH GAS??? Last year in April, I paid them $153.15... HOW?? In my conversation with Constellation, they had NOT received my payments and would note on my acct that PROOF was coming and they would leave my gas on till they received proof from my bank.

NOW, get this... They wanted a copy of the check(s) both front and back. I told my bank that's what they wanted, and the bank could NOT do that because it was done electronically and there were several checks attached for that process. They did send confirmation numbers to Constellation. I am ready to spit FIRE!!! I canNOT bathe or cook until Monday... MAYBE??? They may have good rates, but their accounting department SUCKS!!! DO NOT SIGN WITH THEM. IT IS A NIGHTMARE FROM HELL!!!

Original review: July 15, 2017

I had them call me every day since the release at my door, I called and canceled numbers of times and that was back in June and now July 15th I get a welcome pack. I don't like people don't take their job seriously and don't listen to members, so again need to call again to cancel.

Original review: June 27, 2017

I've been with Constellation for years. When I get the one company, I try to be with them instead of switching back and forth to anybody. Constellation Energy hasn't done anything wrong so I stuck with them and I'm glad I did. Everything has been good with their representatives too. One time, I couldn't pay my electricity on time because I've been getting no raise. They helped me out and told me what I needed to do which I did it. Everything has been great and if I had to do it all over again, I'd go with them again.

Original review: May 16, 2017

I was in the process of signing up with this company. The gentleman helping me with this process was new to the company and I gave him the benefit of the doubt several times. I asked several questions and made sure I understood everything before signing the contract. Once we got to the contract I found 3 errors (My name was completely wrong, not just misspelled but totally wrong. The business name was incorrect and the type of contract was wrong as well). While on the phone call to confirm my identity the lady asked a question that I was unaware of the answer, which by the way I had asked the salesman specifically about my bill several times and how it would be handled. He didn't know the answer and answered my question incorrectly.

While I was on the phone with her he found yet another mistake in the contract (the term was 48 months instead of 24 months). Once I got off of the phone I told him that I no longer felt comfortable signing up with the company. There were too many mistakes, I didn't get my questions answered correctly and I just didn't trust him anymore. I told him not to come back, I would not be giving them my business. I should have looked up the company before he even came back into my store to go over the contract, I found several bad reviews. So glad I didn't make that mistake!!

Original review: April 4, 2017

Constellation took my 5.19 rate and increased it to 6.79 without my permission and claimed they sent a renewal letter that was never received. I watch this closely and contacted them the day I received their new higher than Ameren rate and they said that there would now be a $50 per account cancellation fee and it takes up to 2 billing cycles. GOD DAMN CRIMINAL THIEVES. NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THEM!! I AM CONTACTING THE ATTORNEY GENERAL AND BBB AGAINST THEM.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

Do Not sign up with Constellation Gas. Constellation has good rates, but won't tell you that they charge $2.95 each time you want to pay online. What company in the 21st century charges for using a credit or debit card to pay a bill?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

Just had two guys come to my shop to get me to switch to Constellation energy. When I said no they continued to hard sell me on their company. I get this. But then they had the nerve to tell me that Nicor and Comed do not want to supply the energy anymore and that is why they are around to help. When I called them out on this lie. They were obviously upset and high-tailed it out of the shop. This is a company that cannot be trusted. Please everyone stay away. You will not regret your decision.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

Constellation energy is a big time cheat. They took over as the supplier of natural gas to my home without my knowledge of doing so. My monthly bill went up by 400%. They didn't send any notice or any document stating that they are taking over as the energy supplier. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

Signed up for service on their website about a month ago for a home I was moving into. Picked an install date on the website. I received a letter from them confirming my service which included my address, service type plan and customer number. After having some renovations done in the home finally moved in. Gas is not on. Called Constellation and they claimed that the customer number I received from them was not correct and they have no record of me starting service.

Wait, then the story changed that they see where I made an inquiry. Wait, then the story changed that they have tried to call me. None of this makes any sense. I have never had these kind of issues with any utility company just to start service. Told them never mind. Whatever info they have or don't have of mine please remove it and I will go elsewhere. Now I have to wait until Monday until my new service is started and I won't have gas service over the weekend. Stay far away from them.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

My city signed up for Constellation, we were supposed to get a opt out notice that we nor did 6 of my neighbors ever receive. The bill has been climbing but tripled this month and we have Geothermal. WE called customer service and did a cancellation and it is all pending on them getting the paperwork to our supplier duke and we may see them on the next 2 bills. Spoke to a supervisor Jarad ** at station 2202. They don't give out last name or badge numbers for the safety of the employees (imagine that). He gave me other info than the representative and was supposed to email me a copy of the contract I am in with a company that I never chose or even spoke to any one about. I also asked for the contract my city has with them and they cannot supply the information either. This is ridiculous. I want out of my contract before the next meter reading but it appears this will not happen.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

I canceled with this company a long time ago, all of a sudden I noticed my bills going UP to more than half of what they usually are. WTF?!? And WHY am I still seeing on my bills?? I'm calling the BBB Monday. I can't seem to get a hold of this company to ask what is going on. I have 4 different phone numbers and none are a working number!! What a rip off. I want a refund!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2016

I receive my gas from People's Gas Delivery and Electric from ComEd. I have never changed companies and have never answered any solicitations in any form. I throw out all mail from 3rd parties as junk mail. Today I opened a collection notice saying I owed $554.79 to a collection agency (Credit Protection Association L.P.). I thought it was a scam at first as I never switched and have in fact been paying People's Gas and ComEd monthly, automatically, and uninterrupted for years. This is ridiculous. Now I have to dispute the collection for a service I never signed up for.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2016

Worst experience. I am trying to cancel and have asked for a supervisor. They told me someone would call me back within the hour. Well it has been 2 now and no one has called. Do not get involved with them terrible customer service.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2016

Tried to cancel the renewal after years of being satisfied and was transferred 8 times because they said they could not see my name phone number address or account number or even customer number. They said I was not their customer over and over for hours. So I hung up and called back and gave the customer number and suddenly I was real to them... So I told her to cancel and they transferred me to someone to try to save me which I said "just cancel me" and was switched again. Another 40 minutes and finally I get a cancellation number. Ruined my whole day.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

I have NO SOLICITING signs, but it rang bell & asked for my BGE bill. I said "not interested" she followed me knockin door & ringin bell. Hubby gave her hell, shut door & she kept ringing. IT got ugly.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2016

I have received a mail couple of months back stating that I will be automatically enrolled to Constellation energy and strange thing is that it came with PSEG bill. My overall monthly bill doubled and at times tripled after switching to Constellation Energy. I spoke to PSEG today and they told me that it was optional and will take one billing cycle to switch back. This is a scam and need to be stopped. Why would PSEG encourage this and impact their own business.

MXEnergy expert review by Jonathan Trout

Constellation is an independent energy supplier for Illinois and throughout the United States. It offers residential customers, small business owners, commercial and industrial companies and government agencies electricity, gas and solar solutions. It serves 2.5 million customers, including two-thirds of Fortune 100 companies, and gives back to communities across the nation.

• Residential services: Constellation offers multiple fixed-rate plans to fit your budget. You can choose the term of contract, and your monthly electricity bill will be the same throughout the length of your contract.

• Renewable electricity plans: Depending on the state you live in, a percentage of the electricity your home uses can be generated from wind energy sources. Constellation uses wind farms and wind turbines in certain states to provide clean energy sources where laws and regulations allow.

• Solar power: If you’re thinking about switching to solar energy, Constellation partners with Sunrun to help you outfit your house with a solar system. Sunrun offers flexible payment plans, including a zero down plan and a prepaid plan. The prepaid plan allows you to buy 20 years of power up front at the best price Sunrun offers. Constellation and Sunrun currently provide solar power in six states to residents who spend over $100 per month on their energy bill.

• Small business options: Constellation provides small businesses with custom energy plans and will help you find the right plan for your business. It understands running a small business comes with unique budget challenges and can make the difference in the size of your profit margin. If you’re a small business owner, you can contact a customer care representative to determine which energy resource works best for your company.

• Payment options: Constellation gives you multiple payment options to choose from. You can do a one-time payment option via direct withdrawal, check or credit card. You can choose a monthly recurring payment using a credit card or you can pay by phone. You can also set up an online account to receive paperless statements and manage your billing cycles.

• Best for: customers wanting a competitive electricity supplier.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout