Constellation (formerly MXEnergy)
Based on 47 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Constellation (formerly MXEnergy)

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 19, 2017

50 Constellation (formerly MXEnergy) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

A gentleman comes to my door and knocks, first off instead of standing behind the door he decides to move in position of my open window basically getting a full view inside my home. I was hesitant to answer, but since he was basically looking in he had already saw me (and not to appear rude) I answered. Once I answered he identified himself and made some ridiculous joke that he was there for dinner. I am not humorless, but there was nothing funny about asking for dinner. How about keeping this professional.

Additionally, after peeping into my window and seeing who he was I was less than enthusiastic to see him. He went on with a spiel about how my electric and gas companies are overcharging and he has been sent to the neighborhood to help and give all of us in the neighborhood a cheaper rate. I already have reservations about these 3rd party suppliers and have heard negative things from others in the past. Plus I do not sign up with anything door to door or over the phone, so I immediately shut him down. I told him that I had been sent literature from various suppliers and that I would do my research. If I wish to change and am interested I will reach out to switch.

He then just ignored what I said and kept on going with his sales pitch. I again told him I wasn't interested and he asked me why? I told him I was in the middle of something and that I again wasn't interested. He then went on to ask me if it was just a timing issue? I then became annoyed and told him Goodbye and closed the door in his face. Absolutely ridiculous. I will be investing in a "NO SOLICITORS" sign as this is not the first time these suppliers have come to my door. We just moved here 3 months ago and I have probably had 6-8 knocks on my door since then from these people. This time was the only time I answered and it will be the last.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

For the first month it was as promised, however, it sharply increased to be extravagantly more. For example, my bill for one light bulb in the hallway of my tenants went from $5 to $175 and then they back charged me the 5-month difference. I had a bill of $1,100 and was sent to a lawyer to collect it from me. After getting multiple employees to admit that the company was in the wrong, they still didn't change the bill. After 2 years of me going back and forth with the company's lawyer they "settled" for the exact amount that was still due. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. When I went back to local electric my bill was cut in half compared to the rate from the "money saving" company. I would suggest to no one, including my worst enemy, to use this company.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

A supposed agent (he had nothing to identify himself) knocked on my door and proceeded to try to get me to go to my computer and pull up my electric company bill. I had heard of these schemers before; so I told him no! He made it seem like no big deal that I open my bill to him so he can gather a bunch of info from me and then sign me up with his company without my permission. He looked and sounded real shady. I am going to put a no solicitation sign on my door to keep the likes of him and the bible thumpers away.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Karen ** account manager at Constellation NewEnergy contacted us to have them as our carrier. She promised in writing that we should receive $200.00 after 1 to 2 billing cycles. We called Customer service three time, every time we will open a ticket and no results. We tried to speak to a manager who they said gone for the day "every time". It was the biggest mistake to be part of this situation, so I decided as a Bookkeeper to pay the next bill less $200.0 and let them ask why!!!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I recently left for a summer trip out of the country. Before I left, I made a good-faith advance payment for the time I would be gone. When I returned, it turned out that the summer months drove up my bill by about $40 in excess of my prepayment. By the time I received the pink notice for shut off, I was one day away from having my power shut off over $40. To clarify, the pink notice was generated on one date and the shut off date was 10 DAYS later. I have been a customer with this business for over 7 years with virtually no history of payment issues. LEAVING. I don't care if this is industry standard -- I will leave the next one too if it comes to it. I have been looking for an excuse to shop for a lower rate anyway, and now I have it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MXEnergy?

Original review: July 29, 2017

So off hand I will say that I'm not particularly fond of their solicitation practices as it can get rather annoying with this same young man coming in time after time even after I've told him no to the point that I almost called the police on him as well. I finally gave the guy a chance and he told me that he was gonna put me on the protection plan, get some floor level rate and it would stay there.

I opted for 6 months because I really still didn't fully trust the company but these past 6 months my rate has stayed the same and not gone up, like, I used to pay $670-$720 something a month in the summer and this summer it's been barely $490-$500, and when he came back to resign me up for 4 years, he showed me the comparison in the delivery side of the bill and it did go down a few bucks, wasn't too crazy but it did actually go down a little. I'm not a fan of the bills being separate but he told me that since they are still new in New York they are still working on having their bills be on the same page as ConEd. All in all I'm happy with this company, first company that actually does what they say they do.

Original review: July 25, 2017

A guy came to the door, told my boyfriend our gas company owed us a rebate. Signed me up for Constellation without our permission. I was the utility holder. I was not aware of any activities were made until later. They had his phone number with all my info from my bill. "He mentioned a rebate, nothing about new gas company," my boyfriend told me. When I found out I cancelled it and told them they had no right to switch my utility over from Nicor. They come to my house all the time now with bias lies to get me to switch over my utilities to Constellation company.

Next thing I know. 4 months later I was sent to collection for 65 Dollars. Called to complain and they hung the phone up on me, when I told them they broke the law and I owe them nothing. My boyfriend cannot give any permission to change my account nor give you my bill. Law one broken. Plus you are lying at people's doors to get business. And last, Sending people account to collection because Nicor didn't pay you after I switched my account back is between your two companies and not my pocket. I pay Nicor every month. Which that has always been the case. I will get a lawyer if you do not stop breaking the law and sending me to collections. Next I was speaking to a dial tone and she was a Chicago Manager. Some people skill.

Original review: July 16, 2017

In July 2017, they contacted me regarding my bill. They told me I needed to pay an amount around 62, in order to keep my gas on... I said "OK, let me check with my husband, and I'll get right back to you." I went to look for our paid bills, and my bank statement, and there were three payments made to them, that all had PINK slips. I had confirmation #'s for all of them. In April I paid them $174.70, in May, I paid them $62.69, in June, I paid them $44.00. All with receiving pink slips, I paid right away. Now, due to work, my husband lives in Houston 98% of the time, and he travels, and yes we have missed a bill here and there. So, they requested I speak with my bank, and ask them to send proof of payment. I did, and also asked them (the bank) to send me a copy of what they sent to Constellation.

Now keep in mind that I live here alone most of the time, the only thing that is gas is my cooking and water. Now my water bills run about $20.00 per month. How does one use that much gas in ONE MONTH??? Now I sit here tonight with NO GAS. It is Saturday July 15, 2017 and no one to contact at Constellation, they are CLOSED!! I received my proof of payment from the bank dated July 11, 2017. Assuming, (BAD) they received theirs??? In my conversation with Constellation, he told me I was 3 months behind??? WHAT??? Again, I questioned him... HOW DOES ONE PERSON USE THAT MUCH GAS??? Last year in April, I paid them $153.15... HOW?? In my conversation with Constellation, they had NOT received my payments and would note on my acct that PROOF was coming and they would leave my gas on till they received proof from my bank.

NOW, get this... They wanted a copy of the check(s) both front and back. I told my bank that's what they wanted, and the bank could NOT do that because it was done electronically and there were several checks attached for that process. They did send confirmation numbers to Constellation. I am ready to spit FIRE!!! I canNOT bathe or cook until Monday... MAYBE??? They may have good rates, but their accounting department SUCKS!!! DO NOT SIGN WITH THEM. IT IS A NIGHTMARE FROM HELL!!!

Original review: July 15, 2017

I had them call me every day since the release at my door, I called and canceled numbers of times and that was back in June and now July 15th I get a welcome pack. I don't like people don't take their job seriously and don't listen to members, so again need to call again to cancel.

Original review: June 27, 2017

I've been with Constellation for years. When I get the one company, I try to be with them instead of switching back and forth to anybody. Constellation Energy hasn't done anything wrong so I stuck with them and I'm glad I did. Everything has been good with their representatives too. One time, I couldn't pay my electricity on time because I've been getting no raise. They helped me out and told me what I needed to do which I did it. Everything has been great and if I had to do it all over again, I'd go with them again.

Original review: May 16, 2017

I was in the process of signing up with this company. The gentleman helping me with this process was new to the company and I gave him the benefit of the doubt several times. I asked several questions and made sure I understood everything before signing the contract. Once we got to the contract I found 3 errors (My name was completely wrong, not just misspelled but totally wrong. The business name was incorrect and the type of contract was wrong as well). While on the phone call to confirm my identity the lady asked a question that I was unaware of the answer, which by the way I had asked the salesman specifically about my bill several times and how it would be handled. He didn't know the answer and answered my question incorrectly.

While I was on the phone with her he found yet another mistake in the contract (the term was 48 months instead of 24 months). Once I got off of the phone I told him that I no longer felt comfortable signing up with the company. There were too many mistakes, I didn't get my questions answered correctly and I just didn't trust him anymore. I told him not to come back, I would not be giving them my business. I should have looked up the company before he even came back into my store to go over the contract, I found several bad reviews. So glad I didn't make that mistake!!

Original review: April 4, 2017

Constellation took my 5.19 rate and increased it to 6.79 without my permission and claimed they sent a renewal letter that was never received. I watch this closely and contacted them the day I received their new higher than Ameren rate and they said that there would now be a $50 per account cancellation fee and it takes up to 2 billing cycles. GOD DAMN CRIMINAL THIEVES. NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THEM!! I AM CONTACTING THE ATTORNEY GENERAL AND BBB AGAINST THEM.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

Do Not sign up with Constellation Gas. Constellation has good rates, but won't tell you that they charge $2.95 each time you want to pay online. What company in the 21st century charges for using a credit or debit card to pay a bill?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

Just had two guys come to my shop to get me to switch to Constellation energy. When I said no they continued to hard sell me on their company. I get this. But then they had the nerve to tell me that Nicor and Comed do not want to supply the energy anymore and that is why they are around to help. When I called them out on this lie. They were obviously upset and high-tailed it out of the shop. This is a company that cannot be trusted. Please everyone stay away. You will not regret your decision.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

Constellation energy is a big time cheat. They took over as the supplier of natural gas to my home without my knowledge of doing so. My monthly bill went up by 400%. They didn't send any notice or any document stating that they are taking over as the energy supplier. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

Signed up for service on their website about a month ago for a home I was moving into. Picked an install date on the website. I received a letter from them confirming my service which included my address, service type plan and customer number. After having some renovations done in the home finally moved in. Gas is not on. Called Constellation and they claimed that the customer number I received from them was not correct and they have no record of me starting service.

Wait, then the story changed that they see where I made an inquiry. Wait, then the story changed that they have tried to call me. None of this makes any sense. I have never had these kind of issues with any utility company just to start service. Told them never mind. Whatever info they have or don't have of mine please remove it and I will go elsewhere. Now I have to wait until Monday until my new service is started and I won't have gas service over the weekend. Stay far away from them.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

My city signed up for Constellation, we were supposed to get a opt out notice that we nor did 6 of my neighbors ever receive. The bill has been climbing but tripled this month and we have Geothermal. WE called customer service and did a cancellation and it is all pending on them getting the paperwork to our supplier duke and we may see them on the next 2 bills. Spoke to a supervisor Jarad ** at station 2202. They don't give out last name or badge numbers for the safety of the employees (imagine that). He gave me other info than the representative and was supposed to email me a copy of the contract I am in with a company that I never chose or even spoke to any one about. I also asked for the contract my city has with them and they cannot supply the information either. This is ridiculous. I want out of my contract before the next meter reading but it appears this will not happen.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

I canceled with this company a long time ago, all of a sudden I noticed my bills going UP to more than half of what they usually are. WTF?!? And WHY am I still seeing on my bills?? I'm calling the BBB Monday. I can't seem to get a hold of this company to ask what is going on. I have 4 different phone numbers and none are a working number!! What a rip off. I want a refund!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2016

I receive my gas from People's Gas Delivery and Electric from ComEd. I have never changed companies and have never answered any solicitations in any form. I throw out all mail from 3rd parties as junk mail. Today I opened a collection notice saying I owed $554.79 to a collection agency (Credit Protection Association L.P.). I thought it was a scam at first as I never switched and have in fact been paying People's Gas and ComEd monthly, automatically, and uninterrupted for years. This is ridiculous. Now I have to dispute the collection for a service I never signed up for.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2016

Worst experience. I am trying to cancel and have asked for a supervisor. They told me someone would call me back within the hour. Well it has been 2 now and no one has called. Do not get involved with them terrible customer service.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2016

Tried to cancel the renewal after years of being satisfied and was transferred 8 times because they said they could not see my name phone number address or account number or even customer number. They said I was not their customer over and over for hours. So I hung up and called back and gave the customer number and suddenly I was real to them... So I told her to cancel and they transferred me to someone to try to save me which I said "just cancel me" and was switched again. Another 40 minutes and finally I get a cancellation number. Ruined my whole day.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

I have NO SOLICITING signs, but it rang bell & asked for my BGE bill. I said "not interested" she followed me knockin door & ringin bell. Hubby gave her hell, shut door & she kept ringing. IT got ugly.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2016

I have received a mail couple of months back stating that I will be automatically enrolled to Constellation energy and strange thing is that it came with PSEG bill. My overall monthly bill doubled and at times tripled after switching to Constellation Energy. I spoke to PSEG today and they told me that it was optional and will take one billing cycle to switch back. This is a scam and need to be stopped. Why would PSEG encourage this and impact their own business.

Original review: March 24, 2016

We were duped into this 'alleged' contract. We kept asking for proof of one and were told it was 'verbal'. The owner was under the impression he was locking his rate in for 2 years and Constellation stated he signed up for 4! They now want to charge over $800.00 to get out of this 'alleged contract' and refuse to lower their rate to what they are now offering to other customers. If we make the switch to another company (which we are going to do) the cost for cancellation will be absorbed because of the SIGNIFICANT difference in cost. I had to speak with a supervisor to get the fee for cancellation after several promises of return calls I never received. THIS COMPANY IS A NIGHTMARE- I WOULD STAY FAR FAR AWAY!

Original review: March 21, 2016

Just like the other reviewers I was sent a letter by PSEG on March 11th 2016 stating I chose Constellation Energy as my New Jersey Energy Choice provider. And like the others I always blocked telemarketers and the numerous soliciting letters ended up in the trash bin. CONSTELLATION ENERGY SERVICES INC. SWITCHED MY SERVICE WITHOUT MY PERMISSION! This service and their telemarketers are hijacking people's energy provider service. Please take notice if you receive letters by them and you did not elect to make the change. I'm lucky in that I contacted PSEG to cancel the change.

Original review: March 18, 2016

This is one of the worst electric sub companies I have ever had. Their door to door person selling their electric didn't disclose the cancellation fee. I paid double for a year ON MY ELECTRIC BILL and what I was told was a year term. So after a year I went to another company... I start getting harassing phone calls FROM CONSTELLATION ENERGY that I owe them 1000.00 for a disconnecting my electric with them and with all the added fee it would be 1555.55. That is when I found out it was a 3 year term. Now I have a collection agency breathing down my neck. I see in a lot of these reviews all THEY HAD 150.00 disconnection fee. I'm thinking this is freakin’ crazy what they do to people.

Who could afford their energy prices and all the lies they tell you to get you locked in and they hold that contact over your head. I have to call today to pay this just to get them off my back. Yes I don't have that kind of money so I have to put this on a credit card just so I get these people off my back and it's sad that this company is allow to take money from people that are barely getting by. So to save my credit history I have to pay it. This will be the last time I have anything to do with this company. Their people steps on my property I will call the law. Harassment!!! AND TRUSTPASSING!! THIS COMPANY HAS BEEN WARNED! STAY AWAY.

Original review: March 14, 2016

On 03/14/2016 I received a notification from JCP&L that I selected my new electricity supplier to be Constellation Energy Services Inc, 1716 Lawrence Dr, De Pere WI 54115 tel 800-5360151. The notice stated that if I do not call to invalidate the change within seven days, it will be reflected on my next bill. Now let me tell you that I've learned to screen my phone calls and avoid telemarketers 100%. I have received numerous letters from Constellation Energy but they all end in the trash as soon as I empty my mailbox. There is NO WAY I ever gave my consent (verbal or in writing) to this company to make a switch and use their services. So now comes the question: How can Constellation Energy Inc. forge an agreement and make me waste time to fix a problem that I never created? Is it possible that in fact JCP&L has some hidden interest in this business and does their part in this scam?

Original review: Feb. 9, 2016

Do not opt into anything from constellation energy. They claim to have lower electric rates than energy providers but it is a total scam. What happens is you get charged both by them as well as your energy provider. These people should be ashamed of themselves, as they are scamming money under false pretenses.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2015

I've never heard of them before today. They sent me to a collection company for non-payment of $75.00. I honestly didn't believe it was a legitimate company, I thought this might be a scam. I'm happy to find this site, now I know what I am up against.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2015

We were solicited by a door to door salesperson promising to lower our bill with a locked rate of .063/kwh if switching to Constellation. After switching we received our first invoice at a rate of .32/kwh which effectively tripled our energy bill at the beginning stages of our business. Talking with the salesperson's manager (whose territory had been moved) the bills were to have been removed. One year later we now have received a collection call for the invoices that were supposed to have been removed!! A quick search of this company will show the same complaint for their fraudulent business practices. I'm contacting the media as well so to help others that may be preyed upon by this business.

MXEnergy expert review by Jonathan Trout

Constellation is an independent energy supplier for Illinois and throughout the United States. It offers residential customers, small business owners, commercial and industrial companies and government agencies electricity, gas and solar solutions. It serves 2.5 million customers, including two-thirds of Fortune 100 companies, and gives back to communities across the nation.

• Residential services: Constellation offers multiple fixed-rate plans to fit your budget. You can choose the term of contract, and your monthly electricity bill will be the same throughout the length of your contract.

• Renewable electricity plans: Depending on the state you live in, a percentage of the electricity your home uses can be generated from wind energy sources. Constellation uses wind farms and wind turbines in certain states to provide clean energy sources where laws and regulations allow.

• Solar power: If you’re thinking about switching to solar energy, Constellation partners with Sunrun to help you outfit your house with a solar system. Sunrun offers flexible payment plans, including a zero down plan and a prepaid plan. The prepaid plan allows you to buy 20 years of power up front at the best price Sunrun offers. Constellation and Sunrun currently provide solar power in six states to residents who spend over $100 per month on their energy bill.

• Small business options: Constellation provides small businesses with custom energy plans and will help you find the right plan for your business. It understands running a small business comes with unique budget challenges and can make the difference in the size of your profit margin. If you’re a small business owner, you can contact a customer care representative to determine which energy resource works best for your company.

• Payment options: Constellation gives you multiple payment options to choose from. You can do a one-time payment option via direct withdrawal, check or credit card. You can choose a monthly recurring payment using a credit card or you can pay by phone. You can also set up an online account to receive paperless statements and manage your billing cycles.

• Best for: customers wanting a competitive electricity supplier.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout