Constellation (formerly MXEnergy)

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

In July 2017, they contacted me regarding my bill. They told me I needed to pay an amount around 62, in order to keep my gas on... I said "OK, let me check with my husband, and I'll get right back to you." I went to look for our paid bills, and my bank statement, and there were three payments made to them, that all had PINK slips. I had confirmation #'s for all of them. In April I paid them $174.70, in May, I paid them $62.69, in June, I paid them $44.00. All with receiving pink slips, I paid right away. Now, due to work, my husband lives in Houston 98% of the time, and he travels, and yes we have missed a bill here and there. So, they requested I speak with my bank, and ask them to send proof of payment. I did, and also asked them (the bank) to send me a copy of what they sent to Constellation.

Now keep in mind that I live here alone most of the time, the only thing that is gas is my cooking and water. Now my water bills run about $20.00 per month. How does one use that much gas in ONE MONTH??? Now I sit here tonight with NO GAS. It is Saturday July 15, 2017 and no one to contact at Constellation, they are CLOSED!! I received my proof of payment from the bank dated July 11, 2017. Assuming, (BAD) they received theirs??? In my conversation with Constellation, he told me I was 3 months behind??? WHAT??? Again, I questioned him... HOW DOES ONE PERSON USE THAT MUCH GAS??? Last year in April, I paid them $153.15... HOW?? In my conversation with Constellation, they had NOT received my payments and would note on my acct that PROOF was coming and they would leave my gas on till they received proof from my bank.

NOW, get this... They wanted a copy of the check(s) both front and back. I told my bank that's what they wanted, and the bank could NOT do that because it was done electronically and there were several checks attached for that process. They did send confirmation numbers to Constellation. I am ready to spit FIRE!!! I canNOT bathe or cook until Monday... MAYBE??? They may have good rates, but their accounting department SUCKS!!! DO NOT SIGN WITH THEM. IT IS A NIGHTMARE FROM HELL!!!

I had them call me every day since the release at my door, I called and canceled numbers of times and that was back in June and now July 15th I get a welcome pack. I don't like people don't take their job seriously and don't listen to members, so again need to call again to cancel.

I've been with Constellation for years. When I get the one company, I try to be with them instead of switching back and forth to anybody. Constellation Energy hasn't done anything wrong so I stuck with them and I'm glad I did. Everything has been good with their representatives too. One time, I couldn't pay my electricity on time because I've been getting no raise. They helped me out and told me what I needed to do which I did it. Everything has been great and if I had to do it all over again, I'd go with them again.

I was in the process of signing up with this company. The gentleman helping me with this process was new to the company and I gave him the benefit of the doubt several times. I asked several questions and made sure I understood everything before signing the contract. Once we got to the contract I found 3 errors (My name was completely wrong, not just misspelled but totally wrong. The business name was incorrect and the type of contract was wrong as well). While on the phone call to confirm my identity the lady asked a question that I was unaware of the answer, which by the way I had asked the salesman specifically about my bill several times and how it would be handled. He didn't know the answer and answered my question incorrectly.

While I was on the phone with her he found yet another mistake in the contract (the term was 48 months instead of 24 months). Once I got off of the phone I told him that I no longer felt comfortable signing up with the company. There were too many mistakes, I didn't get my questions answered correctly and I just didn't trust him anymore. I told him not to come back, I would not be giving them my business. I should have looked up the company before he even came back into my store to go over the contract, I found several bad reviews. So glad I didn't make that mistake!!

Constellation took my 5.19 rate and increased it to 6.79 without my permission and claimed they sent a renewal letter that was never received. I watch this closely and contacted them the day I received their new higher than Ameren rate and they said that there would now be a $50 per account cancellation fee and it takes up to 2 billing cycles. GOD DAMN CRIMINAL THIEVES. NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THEM!! I AM CONTACTING THE ATTORNEY GENERAL AND BBB AGAINST THEM.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MXEnergy?

Do Not sign up with Constellation Gas. Constellation has good rates, but won't tell you that they charge $2.95 each time you want to pay online. What company in the 21st century charges for using a credit or debit card to pay a bill?

Just had two guys come to my shop to get me to switch to Constellation energy. When I said no they continued to hard sell me on their company. I get this. But then they had the nerve to tell me that Nicor and Comed do not want to supply the energy anymore and that is why they are around to help. When I called them out on this lie. They were obviously upset and high-tailed it out of the shop. This is a company that cannot be trusted. Please everyone stay away. You will not regret your decision.

Constellation energy is a big time cheat. They took over as the supplier of natural gas to my home without my knowledge of doing so. My monthly bill went up by 400%. They didn't send any notice or any document stating that they are taking over as the energy supplier. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

Signed up for service on their website about a month ago for a home I was moving into. Picked an install date on the website. I received a letter from them confirming my service which included my address, service type plan and customer number. After having some renovations done in the home finally moved in. Gas is not on. Called Constellation and they claimed that the customer number I received from them was not correct and they have no record of me starting service.

Wait, then the story changed that they see where I made an inquiry. Wait, then the story changed that they have tried to call me. None of this makes any sense. I have never had these kind of issues with any utility company just to start service. Told them never mind. Whatever info they have or don't have of mine please remove it and I will go elsewhere. Now I have to wait until Monday until my new service is started and I won't have gas service over the weekend. Stay far away from them.

My city signed up for Constellation, we were supposed to get a opt out notice that we nor did 6 of my neighbors ever receive. The bill has been climbing but tripled this month and we have Geothermal. WE called customer service and did a cancellation and it is all pending on them getting the paperwork to our supplier duke and we may see them on the next 2 bills. Spoke to a supervisor Jarad ** at station 2202. They don't give out last name or badge numbers for the safety of the employees (imagine that). He gave me other info than the representative and was supposed to email me a copy of the contract I am in with a company that I never chose or even spoke to any one about. I also asked for the contract my city has with them and they cannot supply the information either. This is ridiculous. I want out of my contract before the next meter reading but it appears this will not happen.

I canceled with this company a long time ago, all of a sudden I noticed my bills going UP to more than half of what they usually are. WTF?!? And WHY am I still seeing on my bills?? I'm calling the BBB Monday. I can't seem to get a hold of this company to ask what is going on. I have 4 different phone numbers and none are a working number!! What a rip off. I want a refund!

I receive my gas from People's Gas Delivery and Electric from ComEd. I have never changed companies and have never answered any solicitations in any form. I throw out all mail from 3rd parties as junk mail. Today I opened a collection notice saying I owed $554.79 to a collection agency (Credit Protection Association L.P.). I thought it was a scam at first as I never switched and have in fact been paying People's Gas and ComEd monthly, automatically, and uninterrupted for years. This is ridiculous. Now I have to dispute the collection for a service I never signed up for.

Worst experience. I am trying to cancel and have asked for a supervisor. They told me someone would call me back within the hour. Well it has been 2 now and no one has called. Do not get involved with them terrible customer service.

Tried to cancel the renewal after years of being satisfied and was transferred 8 times because they said they could not see my name phone number address or account number or even customer number. They said I was not their customer over and over for hours. So I hung up and called back and gave the customer number and suddenly I was real to them... So I told her to cancel and they transferred me to someone to try to save me which I said "just cancel me" and was switched again. Another 40 minutes and finally I get a cancellation number. Ruined my whole day.

I have NO SOLICITING signs, but it rang bell & asked for my BGE bill. I said "not interested" she followed me knockin door & ringin bell. Hubby gave her hell, shut door & she kept ringing. IT got ugly.

I have received a mail couple of months back stating that I will be automatically enrolled to Constellation energy and strange thing is that it came with PSEG bill. My overall monthly bill doubled and at times tripled after switching to Constellation Energy. I spoke to PSEG today and they told me that it was optional and will take one billing cycle to switch back. This is a scam and need to be stopped. Why would PSEG encourage this and impact their own business.

We were duped into this 'alleged' contract. We kept asking for proof of one and were told it was 'verbal'. The owner was under the impression he was locking his rate in for 2 years and Constellation stated he signed up for 4! They now want to charge over $800.00 to get out of this 'alleged contract' and refuse to lower their rate to what they are now offering to other customers. If we make the switch to another company (which we are going to do) the cost for cancellation will be absorbed because of the SIGNIFICANT difference in cost. I had to speak with a supervisor to get the fee for cancellation after several promises of return calls I never received. THIS COMPANY IS A NIGHTMARE- I WOULD STAY FAR FAR AWAY!

Just like the other reviewers I was sent a letter by PSEG on March 11th 2016 stating I chose Constellation Energy as my New Jersey Energy Choice provider. And like the others I always blocked telemarketers and the numerous soliciting letters ended up in the trash bin. CONSTELLATION ENERGY SERVICES INC. SWITCHED MY SERVICE WITHOUT MY PERMISSION! This service and their telemarketers are hijacking people's energy provider service. Please take notice if you receive letters by them and you did not elect to make the change. I'm lucky in that I contacted PSEG to cancel the change.

This is one of the worst electric sub companies I have ever had. Their door to door person selling their electric didn't disclose the cancellation fee. I paid double for a year ON MY ELECTRIC BILL and what I was told was a year term. So after a year I went to another company... I start getting harassing phone calls FROM CONSTELLATION ENERGY that I owe them 1000.00 for a disconnecting my electric with them and with all the added fee it would be 1555.55. That is when I found out it was a 3 year term. Now I have a collection agency breathing down my neck. I see in a lot of these reviews all THEY HAD 150.00 disconnection fee. I'm thinking this is freakin’ crazy what they do to people.

Who could afford their energy prices and all the lies they tell you to get you locked in and they hold that contact over your head. I have to call today to pay this just to get them off my back. Yes I don't have that kind of money so I have to put this on a credit card just so I get these people off my back and it's sad that this company is allow to take money from people that are barely getting by. So to save my credit history I have to pay it. This will be the last time I have anything to do with this company. Their people steps on my property I will call the law. Harassment!!! AND TRUSTPASSING!! THIS COMPANY HAS BEEN WARNED! STAY AWAY.

On 03/14/2016 I received a notification from JCP&L that I selected my new electricity supplier to be Constellation Energy Services Inc, 1716 Lawrence Dr, De Pere WI 54115 tel 800-5360151. The notice stated that if I do not call to invalidate the change within seven days, it will be reflected on my next bill. Now let me tell you that I've learned to screen my phone calls and avoid telemarketers 100%. I have received numerous letters from Constellation Energy but they all end in the trash as soon as I empty my mailbox. There is NO WAY I ever gave my consent (verbal or in writing) to this company to make a switch and use their services. So now comes the question: How can Constellation Energy Inc. forge an agreement and make me waste time to fix a problem that I never created? Is it possible that in fact JCP&L has some hidden interest in this business and does their part in this scam?

Do not opt into anything from constellation energy. They claim to have lower electric rates than energy providers but it is a total scam. What happens is you get charged both by them as well as your energy provider. These people should be ashamed of themselves, as they are scamming money under false pretenses.

I've never heard of them before today. They sent me to a collection company for non-payment of $75.00. I honestly didn't believe it was a legitimate company, I thought this might be a scam. I'm happy to find this site, now I know what I am up against.

We were solicited by a door to door salesperson promising to lower our bill with a locked rate of .063/kwh if switching to Constellation. After switching we received our first invoice at a rate of .32/kwh which effectively tripled our energy bill at the beginning stages of our business. Talking with the salesperson's manager (whose territory had been moved) the bills were to have been removed. One year later we now have received a collection call for the invoices that were supposed to have been removed!! A quick search of this company will show the same complaint for their fraudulent business practices. I'm contacting the media as well so to help others that may be preyed upon by this business.

This company called my business and we kindly declined several times. Upon declining their services, the representative from Constellation became very irate and would not take no for an answer. Then she tried to tell me how to run my business, well thank God I read all the reviews before making a decision to decline!!! My suggestion to Constellation is tell your sales reps not to curse and yell at potential customers because that is a definite way to not get business. I did not even work with this company and I feel sorry for the people to do!!! LEAVE THIS COMPANY A.S.A.P.!!! BE WARNED!!!

Constellation advised PSE&G (my current supplier) that I wanted to switch to them as a 3rd party without my knowledge or consent. I received a letter dated May 11, 2015 in the mail from PSE&G. In this letter it states "This letter confirms your choice if a new electric third party supplier..." It goes on to list: CONSTELLATION ENERGY 810 Seventh Avenue SUITE 400 New York, NY 10019 8779979995. The letter proceeds with "...if you have decided not to change your current electric supply provider, please contact PSE&G...You must call us within 7 days from the date of this letter."

I called PSE&G, told them I certainly did NOT want to switch, and asked how this even happens. I was told that some of these 3rd party suppliers are obtaining customer's "pod" numbers, and initiating the switch of companies without notification of the customer. This is not an ethical way to gain business and/or customers. Thankfully PSE&G notified me and I paid attention in time to prevent it from happening. Senior leadership of Constellation Energy should be aware of these practices, and if they already are...they need to take a Business Ethics 101 class.

They call our business everyday and you can tell them you are on the Do Not Call list, and to please stop but they won't. I realize they could outsource their marketing to a call center, but nonetheless this is a reflection on the company as a whole. You can tell them you are not leaving your current power company but they regard you as "stupid" for not wanting to "save money". Uses the name of your current power company in a bait call technique and refuse to acknowledge what company they are calling from at times. This time after I hung up, the telemarketer on the phone called back and stated she would be calling back until she got someone who could "make decisions". Informed her I was part owner and to please stop calling as I have asked several times.

Completely unprofessional and never experienced such harassment. I cant imagine anyone switching to their company in with the belittling speech their telemarketers use.

I had signed up with them for a year. Mistake. Their rates were not better. At the end of it they tried to roll me into another year with even worse rates. WITHOUT my permission. Customer Service was a joke.

This company has been calling my house for the last 2 weeks day and night. The last 3 nights the calls have been at 8:30 pm. I have an infant at home who wakes up crying every time. We've asked each time to be taken off the calling list and still no luck. Once again tonight we received the call. We're really fed up with this harassment.

While trying to cancel my service, I spent 17 minutes on the phone with two agents. The first couldn't find my account by searching my phone number and entered my Com Ed account number incorrectly multiple times before finally finding my account. He then verified that the phone number linked to the account was the one I was trying to have him search by, so I'm not sure why he couldn't find it. After going in circles with him for about 7 minutes, he placed me on hold to speak with the cancellation department. I held for 5-6 minutes, and finally spoke with someone who could efficiently assist me. I did have to give her all of the previously provided information, however, so I'm not sure what the purpose of the first gentleman was, other than to frustrate customers. I'm glad to be moving out of their area so that I don't have to interact with them again.

I assume people probably read these things thinking, "Oh these people are just mad" or something along those lines to somehow justify that their case is probably not likely to happen to you. I know I have done that. And more times than not, I was correct. But this is a different story all together. I'm not really mad, but I feel the facts of how things happened here need to be shared. First, let me start by saying that a company like this has an interesting level of flexibility to failure. It's not like some merchant shipped you a box of damaged goods - this is not a product review. This company provides electricity. A utility. A service. We can only really rate them on their customer service because their "product" is going to work. You're going to have electricity from them - it is as simple as that. It is all in how they get their customers and "keep" their customers that I see as a huge problem.

According to customer support, my account originated October 2nd, 2014. This happen when a young man rang my doorbell later in the evening, probably sometime after 7PM, and explained the "great" deal he was offering. He told me the following selling points: (1) it was a fixed rate of 8.21 cents for 2 years; (2) there was a 90 day satisfaction guarantee; (3) they would send me a $50 visa gift card 4 to 6 weeks after I signed up. The negative side was it was a contract deal. 2 years and early termination was $150; but with 90 days, I didn't see that as a large concern partially because he was telling it wasn't. That said, oddly enough I had actually just decided to look for a decent fixed rate program to get in, but hadn't really started looking. I told him I wasn't really sure about it yet. He then quickly started to leave explaining he'd be back shortly; that he wanted to give me time to discuss it with my wife.

A little while later, he returned. I explained that I planned to look into other options; that I knew people in my area were getting better prices on a fixed rate and I just wanted to be sure before committing. He explained that there was no harm in signing up at that time; that it would guarantee me a 50 dollar visa and that, with the 90 day guarantee, I would have plenty of time to shop around. If I found something better, I could make the switch; if not, at least I'd have this to fall back on.

To this, I considered it; but ultimately came back to him with an "I'm not really sure yet". Again, I explained that I wanted to be sure before committing. That seemed to irritate him and he took a condescending attitude toward me explaining that it wasn't a commitment; I'd be able to get out of it easily enough and that he doubted I'd find a better rate, saying, "You really think you'll find a better price?" He continued explaining how rates were due to increase in the next month and so on. Annoyed, and rather uncomfortable, I reconsidered and figured - what the heck. It would get him off my porch, give me 50 dollars, and be easily canceled. So I said, "ok", while showing physically that I wasn't completely comfortable with the situation.

He got on the phone and called the registration number. The person on the phone tells him the rate is 8.82 cents. He looks to me and makes it seem like it's not a big deal. Asking if we can continue. With a sigh, rolling my eyes, and shaking my head, I said, "sure, I guess.” Then had me walk through the standard questions on the phone. One of the questions, he told me I'd have to lie about. It was "had the rep left the property". Apparently I had to say yes, so I did... though he was right there the whole time. Anyway, so I stupidly walked through the questions and became their newest client.

My next bill came, and there was nothing new. No bill info from Constellation. The next bill, for my November payment, came and showed data for Constellation. My fixed rate was 8.8 cents and the current variable rate was .76 - first bill, already losing money. I was less than satisfied for sure. Near the end of November, I was contacted by IDT Energy. The rep on the phone was very nice, even though I left them to go to Palmco months and months prior. He explained he had a fixed rate deal to offer me - in the range of 7.6 to 7.9 cents per kwh. It was fixed for 12 months and there was no contract; no termination fees. After talking to him for a bit and considering the options, I decided to go with it.

Today, December 5th, 2014, I got a letter in the mail from Constellation explaining my account was closed and I would be charged $150 for the early termination, unless I called them before 12/3/2014 (I won't blame them for the mailing time). So, I decided to (1) get clarity as to how early less than 60 days of time was somehow exceeding my 90 day guarantee and (2) let them know why I was leaving.

I was told that my 90 days ended on November 23rd. Which means my 90 days started August 25th - yet the customer service rep was the one that told me my account started October 2nd. I'm willing to admit that the guy stopped at my house as early as late August (though I don't think he did), but even if that is when I signed up, how can I evaluate my satisfaction before my service begins? At best, the 90 days should have began on October 2nd. Of course, this conversation was a lost cause. I told the rep that I was beyond unsatisfied and that I would do all that I could to inform friends, family, neighbors, and anyone interested as to how much of a scam their company was; to avoid doing business with them at all costs. I asked her how anyone could evaluate service that they didn't have; how I was to know I would be unsatisfied much sooner than I did - but the only answer I got was that I could have looked at the first bill and called them then. I didn't bother explaining a bill cycle is 30 days, 90 divided by 30 is 3... so I should have been able to get 2 bills before I even had to worry about calling in.

It cost me $150 and 1 over priced bill to get 1 billing cycle worth of service. On top of feeling betrayed, I didn't even get that 50 dollar gift card they promised me. I'm not complaining really. I know it was my decision to sign up for them AND change service after that. I am merely sharing and informing here. I do not believe a company that treats its clients as expendable is a company that deserves to be in business; especially in such a competitive market.

To end simply - I urge everyone - do NOT do business with Constellation. They are a fundamentally broken company. In fact, for those of you considering it, I would even go as far as saying not to go with an electric provider that locks you into a contract with early termination fees. Should have saw that as a red flag. Early termination fee means they expect people to leave and they want to make sure they juice them for all they can while they can. Hope this helps someone.

Expert Review

Jonathan TroutConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Jonathan Trout believes having access to free, comprehensive information on products and businesses is vital to making smart purchasing decisions. He focuses his efforts on researching and reviewing multiple brands across a variety of industries, with the goal of writing unbiased buyers guides to help inform consumers on impending purchases.    More about Jonathan→

Constellation is an independent energy supplier for Illinois and throughout the United States. It offers residential customers, small business owners, commercial and industrial companies and government agencies electricity, gas and solar solutions. It serves 2.5 million customers, including two-thirds of Fortune 100 companies, and gives back to communities across the nation.

• Residential services: Constellation offers multiple fixed-rate plans to fit your budget. You can choose the term of contract, and your monthly electricity bill will be the same throughout the length of your contract.
  • Renewable electricity plans: Depending on the state you live in, a percentage of the electricity your home uses can be generated from wind energy sources. Constellation uses wind farms and wind turbines in certain states to provide clean energy sources where laws and regulations allow.
  • Solar power: If you’re thinking about switching to solar energy, Constellation partners with Sunrun to help you outfit your house with a solar system. Sunrun offers flexible payment plans, including a zero down plan and a prepaid plan. The prepaid plan allows you to buy 20 years of power up front at the best price Sunrun offers. Constellation and Sunrun currently provide solar power in six states to residents who spend over $100 per month on their energy bill.
  • Small business options: Constellation provides small businesses with custom energy plans and will help you find the right plan for your business. It understands running a small business comes with unique budget challenges and can make the difference in the size of your profit margin. If you’re a small business owner, you can contact a customer care representative to determine which energy resource works best for your company.
  • Payment options: Constellation gives you multiple payment options to choose from. You can do a one-time payment option via direct withdrawal, check or credit card. You can choose a monthly recurring payment using a credit card or you can pay by phone. You can also set up an online account to receive paperless statements and manage your billing cycles.
  • Best for customers wanting a competitive electricity supplier.

Compare Illinois Electricity Companies