Constellation

Constellation

formerly MXEnergy

Need a utility company?

Constellation Reviews

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

Constellation's door to door salesman, wearing Constellation hat, shirt and name tag, came to my mother's door today. The little SCAMMER told me that Ohio AEP (her electric company) sent him out to update her system. He claimed he worked for AEP and Columbia Gas of Ohio. When I asked him why his name tag said Constellation instead of Columbia Gas or AEP he said his company was the direct supplier for both of the utility companies. He told me he was there at their request and needed to update the system to save money and if I did not do it right then, I would lose my chance.

I asked him, specifically, if he was a third party supplier. The man told me "No. I work for Columbia Gas and Ohio AEP." I asked again and he said the same thing and that Ohio AEP had been reaching out by phone and if I hadn't answered a call from an 800 number, I had missed them. Therefore the utility company sent him out. I told him I would call the electric company to confirm this information and get back to him. Again, he told me this was my ONLY chance to take advantage of the savings. I sent him away. I called Ohio AEP and Columbia Gas. Both said he did not represent them in any way. Their Constellation worker is going door to door directly lying to elderly people to scam them into changing companies. He is saying change now or pay higher costs. Filthy, rotten liars trying to trick old people. I saw him talking to a neighbor and called him out on it. Scams! Wish there was something lower than 1 star!!!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

Constellation Salespeople came into our business, asked to look at our energy bill to show difference in their energy savings. Suddenly our energy bills came in from Constellation without our consent, when we asked to cancel their service they required an appointment to be made. When the appointed day arrived, they did not. Furthermore they claimed the appointment was never set up! Next we called to speak to a supervisor who said services can not be canceled unless they receive a formal email letter of authorization addressed to customer service solely from the owner of the business with specific wording for reason! HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE! STAY AWAY FROM CONSTELLATION!!!!

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

We had a great rate from Constellation until we renewed after contract. We renewed online and in the very small fine print it said rate adjustable, well my bill went from 230 a month to 520 and then 630. Found out then they were charging 18.5 cents per KW hour, 2 and a half times what we were paying. I quickly switched providers and will be writing the PUC to complain, a total ripoff.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

In trying to resolve a problem with debiting my account twice, I was two days and on hold for a total of well over an hour. Their internal email system also was unanswered. They claim to have a chat room but there was no way to access it. When I finally reached them a very nice lady took care of the problem. The refund is the same old story with most companies -- it took 5 seconds to charge my account but will be around 5 days to refund the over-payment. I am with Constellation because I was originally with StarTex (the top customer service company in the industry) who later was acquired by Constellation. That is like trading an ice cream Sunday for a licorice stick.

Original review: July 29, 2019

They get 2 stars for my initial rate when I signed up, but now they took away the offer that they gave me to renew, but when I originally called about it the customer service rep didn't know what I was talking about even though I received a notice for it. I could also go online and see the offers. So attempting to renew that plan today, they no longer offer it and want to double my bill. I also can no longer see the offers. Gave me zero incentive to stay. Offered me the same plans they offer everyone else.

I spoke to 3 people over the phone and on the chat everyone gave me different contract end dates. All gave me different plans (which all doubled current pricing). Then everyone keeps telling me what my rate is but yet I'm on a tiered plan, I have to correct everyone because they do not look into my account before offering anything. It's extremely frustrating to have to now search for a new provider since they no longer are offering me a plan that is comparable to me current.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MXEnergy?

Original review: July 17, 2019

BEWARE! Do not under ANY circumstances provide a Constellation door to door salesperson with your bill! No matter what they promise. Do not give it to them! So, this my story: I had a Constellation salesperson come to my door and offered to switch my electric supply for a discount. He asked if he could see my bill to compare, and because I am too nice and stupid, I was willing to hear him out. Well, after all was said and done, I said "No thank you." and he left.

Well, jump forward several months later, and I receive a notice from Ameren saying my Electric Supplier Choice was changing at my request. I called Ameren, and was told that even if I refused their offer, nor signed any agreement, Constellation could switch me, because all they needed is my account number! And by providing them with my bill to compare, they were able to get my account number. It's pretty crazy, in this day and age of ID theft, that not even a contract or any identifying information can be used to make a major account change. But, the helpful person at Ameren told me this was the way it was. Constellation appears to be an absolute scam of a company, employing dishonest people. And if I ever see one of them come to my door, I am going to tell them to get off my property.

Now, the reason why they waited so long to submit my supplier change is that they were probably hoping I wouldn't pay any attention, or not understand what the notice I received was. The very nice lady at Ameren let me switch back to Ameren as my supply choice on the phone, and all is well now. Again, do not under any circumstances give Constellation, or ANY door to door salesperson your electric bill. They will take your account number, and can at ANY time switch you.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I switched over to Constellation from Reliant on a 6 month contract. The kw/h rate was lower, however, there a fee structure hidden in the fact sheets that I did not notice even I looked several times. My fault and I take accountability for that but I wanted to share after my recent experience. My monthly bill actually rose from the switch by a few dollars. I had 7 months left in my Apartment and I signed a 6 month contract. Without notice of my contract expiring or rates changing, Constellation electric issued me a bill that had more than doubled from the previous month even though I had used virtually the same energy as in the previous billing cycle.

Constellation has no phone support and only offers 'Live Chat'. The website is utilitarian and it is not user-friendly. The live chat rep, Wendy, informed me that a notice was sent approx 1.5 months before contract expiration, although, there is no record of this in either of my email accounts. I was offered no assistance and Constellation's stance was basically 'pay it or else.' Avoid friends!

Original review: June 28, 2019

Not worth your time. Did not set up my electric account. Still got charged when I switched to a company who could handle the account properly. A real joke of an experience. Stick with the traditional providers for this and you will be better off.

Original review: June 3, 2019

2 guys were just at the door. On their bright blue shirts it said "Constellation". He presented himself as representing Comed and Nicor. Had a sample bill with some parts highlighted in green and stated that if I have 3 particular lines under the supply part then I am paying too much. Then he whipped out a Comed notification that he said I should have gotten but no one seems to notice on the bottom of my bill or online as a PDF. I said "I never got it". Then he would I take a look online now to see if I had these 3 lines. I said "no, I will check later". He said I could not do it and it had to be now while he was here (very pushy and annoying). Then I said "but it does not say Comed on your shirt" and he mumbled something obscure. What a scam.

Original review: May 23, 2019

First, they increased my cost per kWh without notification. I signed up for 7.8c per kWh, then magically it changed to 12.8c per kWh. Obviously, I started looking to change providers. I bought solar panels and switched to a green company on March 26th. They called me on May 22nd stating I owed them $400 and that I was delinquent for Feb, Mar, and Apr. They also tried to charge me for the "minimum usage fee" in April (I canceled them on March 26th). I had auto pay set up, so how was I delinquent on a bill? "Oh we performed a system upgrade and it dropped people". I guess they thought it was a good idea to wait 3 months to tell me? They also never sent me the bills until I asked on May 22nd. And I thought I got away from these criminals. Stay away at all costs. Shady company run by crooks.

MXEnergy expert review by Jonathan Trout

Constellation is an independent energy supplier for Illinois and throughout the United States. It offers residential customers, small business owners, commercial and industrial companies and government agencies electricity, gas and solar solutions. It serves 2.5 million customers, including two-thirds of Fortune 100 companies, and gives back to communities across the nation.

• Residential services: Constellation offers multiple fixed-rate plans to fit your budget. You can choose the term of contract, and your monthly electricity bill will be the same throughout the length of your contract.

• Renewable electricity plans: Depending on the state you live in, a percentage of the electricity your home uses can be generated from wind energy sources. Constellation uses wind farms and wind turbines in certain states to provide clean energy sources where laws and regulations allow.

• Solar power: If you’re thinking about switching to solar energy, Constellation partners with Sunrun to help you outfit your house with a solar system. Sunrun offers flexible payment plans, including a zero down plan and a prepaid plan. The prepaid plan allows you to buy 20 years of power up front at the best price Sunrun offers. Constellation and Sunrun currently provide solar power in six states to residents who spend over $100 per month on their energy bill.

• Small business options: Constellation provides small businesses with custom energy plans and will help you find the right plan for your business. It understands running a small business comes with unique budget challenges and can make the difference in the size of your profit margin. If you’re a small business owner, you can contact a customer care representative to determine which energy resource works best for your company.

• Payment options: Constellation gives you multiple payment options to choose from. You can do a one-time payment option via direct withdrawal, check or credit card. You can choose a monthly recurring payment using a credit card or you can pay by phone. You can also set up an online account to receive paperless statements and manage your billing cycles.

• Best for: customers wanting a competitive electricity supplier.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout