Constellation

formerly MXEnergy

3.6/5 (34 ratings)

About Constellation

Constellation Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Constellation?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about MXEnergy?

Original review: June 2, 2022

We recently purchased a new home and tried to switch Constellation over. When we renewed our 3 year contract, the sales guy told us that service is transferable if we move and we are guaranteed at the locked in price. After being on the phone for countless hrs, they insist on transferring service to the new home at a higher price than what we are in a contract for. So what is the point of a contract??? After being transferred to many reps, our call was finally escalated to the mgr. We received a call back from the mgr himself and he said we can transfer the service but at a higher rate. We told him that this was not what we were told and was very dissatisfied with this service and will be writing a review. He hung up on us! TRUE SCAMMER action! Please do yourself a service and use some other company and not Constellation. It was a horrible experience from the get go, from setting up the account for auto pay to billing.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

I received a PowerPlug from Constellation for being a customer. It works with an app that allows you to remotely control whatever devices (appliances, lights etc…) that you have connected to the PowerPlug. It was a neat little gift until it wasn’t. I’ve been unable to get on their app because it won’t recognize my name. After countless phones over several months they still can’t get it figured out! When I call now it’s the same old, "We’re working on it, will call you back" etc… A large amount of wasted time with no results. Now they don’t return calls or offer any assistance except to apologize profusely when I inquire to what the status of my work order is. So I have a plug that is essentially just that a plug. I’m so frustrated with their incompetence and indifference I don’t see keeping Constellation Energy when it comes time to renew.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

We have used this company for several years and have been pleased with their service. Plus their rates have been fair. During peak times, adjustments in relation to usage have been appropriate. They have been very responsive during any power outage or other issues that have arise.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

I finished a three-year contract with Constellation energy. And switch to another energy provider. Unbeknownst to me constellation seemingly sent me a renewal notice that I did not get. As a result of my switching to another company they hit me with $150 cancellation fee for the contract that renewed itself without my review. Calling constellation resulted in a unsatisfying call that indicated The only way to get rid of the $150 charge was to renew my contract with constellation. This should not be permitted. Contracts should be required to be reviewed by the buyer at renewal and I believe that constellation energy is violating some sort of consumer protection for the state of Maryland.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

If you use this company and want to pay automatically by credit card, be prepared for a disaster. The web interface is horrible and the customer service function is partly outsourced, and doesn't work well at all. Use Constellation only if you want to waste time on hold and deal with constant billing problems. This is easy with all of my other utilities and they have made an absolute mess of it.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

I enrolled to Constellation on a Friday and got an email from them that they have cancelled my enrollment and should I have questions contact them. I wanted to understand the rationale behind the cancellation and a Parrot (Becky was the name I suppose) they call as their Customer Agent, parroted 4 times "A Constellation Energy Customer Representative will call to provide you with the details" and that there is nothing she can do.

Fearing the worst, I enrolled into another REP. Then I get a call on Monday that I am successfully enrolled to Constellation!!! I had then call their wretched Customer Support again!!! The line was extremely bad. I pity Marla, the agent who tried to help me. I could not hear a word she was saying. Poor thing did try to help. However, apparently, post my call to them Constellation went ahead, reviewed my case and approved; AFTER CANCELLING my enrollment. Now I cannot go back to my previous provider and the have to wait for the new provider to enroll me... All in all an extremely bad experience. STAY AWAY FROM THIS ONE....

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

In MD there are far better choices on the PSC website. And, Constellation has many Complaints filed at the MD PSC. Just avoid. When you call to cancel the account you are put ON HOLD FOREVER, so you can listen to all their commercials. Bad and sad.

Original review: June 22, 2020

Constellation is a dishonest and "scam" of a company. Representative stopped into our facility 2-3 times a month for at least 6 months, brought bagel and donuts. He seemed like a genuine good guy, so we signed up. From the beginning, the gentleman disappeared. Stopped answering his cell phone. The rates we agreed on were doubled, energy bill was doubled. We moved to a bigger location less than a year into the contract they hit us with a $550 cancellation charge and 3 month service charges. PLEASE DO NOT LET THIS COMPANY IN YOUR OFFICE!! It's a Scam!!

Original review: June 1, 2020

Bait and Switch Operation. Quoted me a price of 8 cents a KWH, but then changed to 16 cents a KWH for anything less than 500 KWH, and a minimum of $80 a month no matter how much electricity I will use....I am in the process of canceling the request for service and I am still with the old Provider and with this experience on the phone to cancel the request for service I feel they will be a NIGHTMARE company to deal with...Customer Service Providers are sitting in India and Philippines...have no clue...They hand up on you to avoid the cancelation....Avoid this company like COVID-19...Social distance this company forever or get some therapy planned ahead of time if you want to deal with them for a year.

Original review: April 24, 2020

Updated Review on 06/12/2020: Please do not believe anything you read about Constellation Energy at ** or **. These sites have many identical reviews despite representing customers from different states. This similarity indicates the reviews are manipulated. This particular review is an update from a previous review sent to ConsumerAffairs in April. It has not yet been posted because they are still waiting for a response from Constellation. Other review sites described in detail the predatory marketing practices of this brokerage company (they and their parent company EXELON are not really energy companies at all, much like Enron).

They convinced my wife, who has dementia, into changing gas providers. Then, when I attempted to change the account to my name (because of my wife's limited capacity to check the monthly billing emails) they asked for a ridiculous disconnect and reconnect fee. Since they are a brokerage company, and not a utility company, they have nothing to do with actually turning your gas utilities on or off. Then they split the account, but did not send me any of the bills or history from the old account. It looked as though they did not credit one of my payments, but it was actually credited to the old account for which I had NO information.

After months of complaining (both directly and through Better Business Bureau complaints) they finally explained that the payment was credited to the old account. Of course, I would not know this because I was locked out of that account in my wife’s name. Finally, I asked them to send me a zero-balance bill from the old account so I can pay the final bill on the other account and be assured they are not hiding any additional debt claims that I don’t know about. They have not responded even after I sent registered letters to their CEO and the CEO of their parent company (EXELON).

I have now spent more money trying to get a response than I owe them, so I have given up. Luckily I teach chemical engineering at a U.S. university so this experience is now an illustrative case study for both chemical engineering classes in the energy field, and in a class I teach in new technical startup. Constellation puts significant resources into its marketing, but its customer service infrastructure is dismal. You should avoid this company at all costs.

Original Review: I made previous complaints that Constellation messed my account and bill in various ways, and I terminated service with them. I am still not free of their utter incompetence as they claim I still have an unpaid balance with them. They failed to post a bank debit card payment of mine. I have the bank records and reference number for the transaction, but after several months I cannot get them to fix the error because I cannot penetrate the gauntlet of incompetence they call customer service. The people that work for customer service are quite nice, but they work for an incompetent corporation.

I have filed a BBB complaint and will sue them in small claims court should that not resolve the situation. Exelon is their parent company and it follows a revenue model of virtual energy companies like ENRON (perhaps you remember how that turned out). They are energy brokers that move energy resources around and then contract with local delivery companies that connect this resource to your home. Then they invest in the bare minimum level of customer service infrastructure to tempt with short term utility rates, but they cannot competently resolve issues when they make billing and account mistakes. I switched to Georgia Natural Gas, and I recommend you contract with a local provider even if it is a bit more expensive. Avoid Constellation and any of the subsidiary companies of EXELON which you can find at **.

MXEnergy author review by Jonathan Trout

Constellation is an independent energy supplier for Illinois and throughout the United States. It offers residential customers, small business owners, commercial and industrial companies and government agencies electricity, gas and solar solutions. It serves 2.5 million customers, including two-thirds of Fortune 100 companies, and gives back to communities across the nation.

• Residential services: Constellation offers multiple fixed-rate plans to fit your budget. You can choose the term of contract, and your monthly electricity bill will be the same throughout the length of your contract.

• Renewable electricity plans: Depending on the state you live in, a percentage of the electricity your home uses can be generated from wind energy sources. Constellation uses wind farms and wind turbines in certain states to provide clean energy sources where laws and regulations allow.

• Solar power: If you’re thinking about switching to solar energy, Constellation partners with Sunrun to help you outfit your house with a solar system. Sunrun offers flexible payment plans, including a zero down plan and a prepaid plan. The prepaid plan allows you to buy 20 years of power up front at the best price Sunrun offers. Constellation and Sunrun currently provide solar power in six states to residents who spend over $100 per month on their energy bill.

• Small business options: Constellation provides small businesses with custom energy plans and will help you find the right plan for your business. It understands running a small business comes with unique budget challenges and can make the difference in the size of your profit margin. If you’re a small business owner, you can contact a customer care representative to determine which energy resource works best for your company.

• Payment options: Constellation gives you multiple payment options to choose from. You can do a one-time payment option via direct withdrawal, check or credit card. You can choose a monthly recurring payment using a credit card or you can pay by phone. You can also set up an online account to receive paperless statements and manage your billing cycles.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team