2. Homeowners

formerly MXEnergy

Constellation
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.25/5

Constellation Reviews

Original review: June 1, 2020

Bait and Switch Operation. Quoted me a price of 8 cents a KWH, but then changed to 16 cents a KWH for anything less than 500 KWH, and a minimum of $80 a month no matter how much electricity I will use....I am in the process of canceling the request for service and I am still with the old Provider and with this experience on the phone to cancel the request for service I feel they will be a NIGHTMARE company to deal with...Customer Service Providers are sitting in India and Philippines...have no clue...They hand up on you to avoid the cancelation....Avoid this company like COVID-19...Social distance this company forever or get some therapy planned ahead of time if you want to deal with them for a year.

Original review: April 24, 2020

I made previous complaints that Constellation messed my account and bill in various ways, and I terminated service with them. I am still not free of their utter incompetence as they claim I still have an unpaid balance with them. They failed to post a bank debit card payment of mine. I have the bank records and reference number for the transaction, but after several months I cannot get them to fix the error because I cannot penetrate the gauntlet of incompetence they call customer service. The people that work for customer service are quite nice, but they work for an incompetent corporation.

I have filed a BBB complaint and will sue them in small claims court should that not resolve the situation. Exelon is their parent company and it follows a revenue model of virtual energy companies like ENRON (perhaps you remember how that turned out). They are energy brokers that move energy resources around and then contract with local delivery companies that connect this resource to your home. Then they invest in the bare minimum level of customer service infrastructure to tempt with short term utility rates, but they cannot competently resolve issues when they make billing and account mistakes. I switched to Georgia Natural Gas, and I recommend you contract with a local provider even if it is a bit more expensive. Avoid Constellation and any of the subsidiary companies of EXELON which you can find at **.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 9, 2020

The sales make a commission and because of that the sales rep I had to work with, Angela **, was just spouting lie after lie about anything she can to get me to sign. I actually read contracts and I told her that multiple points were the opposite of what she said (basically I would get all these extra charges and fees that she said she guarantees I won't get). She stated that those points in the contract are inaccurate and what she is saying is the truth, yet she said she was not willing to email any of that because 'she's not allowed to put any of this in writing' which is very odd. I said I can ask the customer service agents in email and see if they are willing to write any of the information back.

She said "you know what, clearly you're not comfortable with this so you shouldn't send anything and you should just think about what it is you want." Pretty odd too. So I emailed them anyway and turns out everything she said was a lie. Then I looked at the reviews of this company and I'm disappointed I didn't look earlier, otherwise I could've saved my time. Apparently, they have a reputation for their bad sales reps and poor service. I should've guessed when just to start service took a 30min wait time to get to a rep. That's always a bad sign.

Original review: April 9, 2020

Sometime around August of 2019, I used the chat function to discuss with an agent how to get my plan transferred from my parent's house to my new house. Never having done this before, I trusted whatever she was going to do was correct. She advised that I switch my plan over to the new house and that my parents sign up with a separate provider of their own. Sounded legit enough. Long story short, my closing date (which was also my switch date) came along and, lo and behold, power was completely cut off to my parent's house.

Naturally, we called the new provider of my parent's house (Gexa) and waited for nearly 2 hours, only to find that Constellation had sent an order to CenterPoint (main energy provider) to discontinue electricity service to my parents house, rather than simply transferring service to the new house and transitioning existing energy to my parents house over to Gexa. At the time, my mom was undergoing testing for breast cancer. She certainly didn't need this type of stress. In the middle of Houston heat, the house was burning up to nearly 80 degrees inside. With no internet, no means of cooking, no lights, and total discomfort, I decided to front a hotel, while Gexa promised to work it out with Centerpoint on how to expedite getting power restored to my parent's house the very next day.

It wasn't easy to find a place for one night and on a moment's notice, that was also pet friendly. Not to mention I was the only one with an available car since, you guessed it, my parent's car was stuck in the power operated garage. With work the very next day, I grabbed the basics and arranged to take an Uber to work so that my parents can use my car to get back (to an eventually powered up) home. I'm no expert, but there HAD to be SOME way that could have played out better.

I paint the picture with details because it doesn't end there, the WORST part was how Constellation reacted after I called to discuss and find out what had happened. I was unfortunately handed off to some guy who had zero empathy and zero respect. I'm not sure to this day that I have EVER been so disrespected. I got no answer or explanation for the mixup, except for phrases that could be summarized as "things happen when you are on chat, they don't always know what you mean" "you should be grateful, it could have been worse, everyone is OK."

If my call was truly recorded, I would love for them to pull the call up. There were also long periods of silence in between my time conversing with this idiot (no background noise), knowing I was clearly being muted, which infuriated me further. In summary, stay far, far away from this company. It doesn't take a trained monkey to do a little research and see how poor the reviews are. I'd pay a few extra cents if it meant getting better service than I got with them.

Original review: March 23, 2020

After being lured in by the promise of lower rates, they wound up noticeably higher than my electric supplier. Not only were they higher, but, after cancellation, they continued to bill me on an outside light at 148 kwh per month for 22 months (as you've likely noticed, electric bills are insane to try to read through and decode, so, I didn't notice it until my electric company pointed it out to me). Here's the slimy kicker- the outside light that they were still charging me for, doesn't even have a meter on it! MY electric company had set it up on a flat rate when first installed. So, how on earth could they charge by kwh?? Good question. Must be nice to just make up a number and charge the customer. I will be contacting the Attorney General and doing my best to shut these scumbags down!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MXEnergy?

Original review: March 6, 2020

Be mindful of nice people at the mall! When I signed up for their services, my bill was supposed to go down, but instead my bill ended up being higher than if I stayed with PECO. I'm digging in much further on this, but they are now demanding $150 to allow me to leave. I feel really bad to the seniors who are signing up to save money on their gas and electric. BAD DEAL AND STAY AWAY!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

i switched to them because they offered lower rates and would guarantee them. After the first bill, there were all kinds of hidden charges and my bill was actually higher. I called them and they offered to let me out of the contract but they charged me $100 cancellation fee. Don't trust these guys. Check ratings. Theirs is among the lowest in the industry.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I chose Constellation as the cheapest bid for my new a/c purchase. They are not only horrible but dishonest. They made numerous installation errors, which they promised to fix, but no-showed every time and then quit returning my calls. They also left a huge hole where the wiring entered my house through the exterior bricks, and I've now learned that rats have been entering my attic through the hole, and it's going to cost me tons of money to address this problem. DO NOT do business with these incompetent and dishonest people!!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

I signed up with Constellation in September 2019. I received a contract from them. They were supposed to switch me over to their service by 10/15 the latest. The rate was supposed to be .855 fixed for 12 months. As of 12/11 they had NOT changed me over to them costing me an extra $50 per month for two months =$100.00 in extra costs, When I called they admitted that an incompetent representative had NOT submitted the paperwork, but they had zero intention of remedying the situation. DON'T even think of using these people. Pay a bit more and sign up with reliable competent suppliers.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

It is time for me to renew or change my electric supplier. I have been using Constellation for the past year or so. They sent me a notice that I compared to the Public Service Commission's official rates. Surprise! Their written quote was higher than PSC postings. I called to check and after they checked the PSC website we eventually negotiated a plan with a reasonable rate. They sent a confirmation with a link to my. Problem: The link to the supposed "documents" does not work. Called to check and someone in Central America came on line. (Note: Not good for jobs in the U.S.; and just how safe is my personal information with someone in Central America?) Waiting now to maybe receive said documents via snailmail, and how do I know these are the "Contract Documents"?

MXEnergy author review by Jonathan Trout

Constellation is an independent energy supplier for Illinois and throughout the United States. It offers residential customers, small business owners, commercial and industrial companies and government agencies electricity, gas and solar solutions. It serves 2.5 million customers, including two-thirds of Fortune 100 companies, and gives back to communities across the nation.

• Residential services: Constellation offers multiple fixed-rate plans to fit your budget. You can choose the term of contract, and your monthly electricity bill will be the same throughout the length of your contract.

• Renewable electricity plans: Depending on the state you live in, a percentage of the electricity your home uses can be generated from wind energy sources. Constellation uses wind farms and wind turbines in certain states to provide clean energy sources where laws and regulations allow.

• Solar power: If you’re thinking about switching to solar energy, Constellation partners with Sunrun to help you outfit your house with a solar system. Sunrun offers flexible payment plans, including a zero down plan and a prepaid plan. The prepaid plan allows you to buy 20 years of power up front at the best price Sunrun offers. Constellation and Sunrun currently provide solar power in six states to residents who spend over $100 per month on their energy bill.

• Small business options: Constellation provides small businesses with custom energy plans and will help you find the right plan for your business. It understands running a small business comes with unique budget challenges and can make the difference in the size of your profit margin. If you’re a small business owner, you can contact a customer care representative to determine which energy resource works best for your company.

• Payment options: Constellation gives you multiple payment options to choose from. You can do a one-time payment option via direct withdrawal, check or credit card. You can choose a monthly recurring payment using a credit card or you can pay by phone. You can also set up an online account to receive paperless statements and manage your billing cycles.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team