Constellation (formerly MXEnergy)
Based on 76 reviews that contain star ratings

Need a utility company?

Constellation (formerly MXEnergy)

79 Constellation (formerly MXEnergy) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 19, 2019

I am writing this for my elderly mother. She had StarTech and they were brought out by Constellation. Constellation sent her bill in Feb and she noticed that her Jan payment had not been accredited to her account. When she contacted them, the first person that she spoke to, was non-English speaking and very difficult to understand. She then spoke to the Supervisor, who was not much better. She faxed all the information to them and lo and behold the next month the same charges were on the bills. Contacted customer service and once again the same problems. They advised that they had not received the fax had not been received. Well I had the printout showing it went through on my end. My Mom sent a complaint to the Public Utility Commission in Austin, hopefully they get this mess straightened out.

Original review: March 13, 2019

It all began when one of their people solicited my home. I searched it up online and it's actually illegal for electric supplier people to solicit to like that. I didn't know it at that time and I unfortunately let them in because I was interested in their deals. They told me to call National Grid and to say that I want to transfer to Constellation. The people told me that I can't let National Grid know that they were next to me and that they were guiding me to transfer to them. When I asked why, they kept saying that they'll tell me later after I complete the contract (ugh, I'm so angry at how naive I was back them).

That was one of my biggest regret in my life. They made up fake emails for me, rude when I said that I never made those emails, and they kept transferring me to endless people whenever I said that I wanted to cancel, etc. This had been going on for months. Luckily, I bought a home; National Grid stated that whenever you buy a home, they will have to give you a new account number. And with that, I somehow easily was able to get the constellation ** off my back. Constellation, go ** yourselves.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Want to claim this page for your business? Learn More
    Original review: March 8, 2019

I had a sales rep stop by my house telling me how Constellation was providing a cheaper rate than what I currently have and how having that specific supplier was going to save me money in the future. BOGUS! I did a comparison on all my electric and gas bills for the number of months I lived in my house and I was paying at a lower rate than what Constellation was providing.

For the gas billings, only 1 out of 17 months that I was paying for over the $0.899 per therm rate. For the electric billings, I was paying over the $0.1299 (Constellation rate) was about 20% of the time and those were mainly during the winter. For people reading this, I recommend doing a full analysis on your current rates from Month A to Month B (yearly) to see if the Constellation rate is actually a good deal. I read the constellation disclosure statement, there's a section for Savings and indicates that "Savings are not guaranteed".

The representative that stopped by my house stated "you will save more with a supplier than no supplier". I was so stupid to believe that was true when she only compared the rates to my current bills. Also, the rep said I can call NationalGrid to remove the Constellation supplier - Statement Lied again, NationalGrid won't remove the supplier since they have no clue what agreements is stated for Constellation or if there's a fee for removing the supplier. I have to call Constellation directly to remove them as supplier.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Make sure you keep up with your contract date. I paid twice the amount for over a year because I was not under contract. Constellation advise that they sent a letter to inform me of this, I never received the letter. No telling how many other customers are paying more than they should. Where is the customer service for these companies. Maybe all gas companies do this. Current rate per therm .365. I was paying .8999.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I have nothing to say but this is crazy nightmare to get a bill for 425 dollars from a company that you never heard of!!!! I never signed with them. I am not their customer and they charged me for a service I never asked for. The only thing I can think of is to go to court. This people belong in jail! Period.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MXEnergy?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Young woman comes to my door with only a pink cellphone in her hand. She told me that I "Need to re-register my Duke account." I told her that I don't have Duke. I have IGS. She then told me that Constellation is part of IGS. After I got her away from my door I called the IGS supervisor who told me that is not true. I reported this to the Utilities Commission as well as the City (They did not apply for the required Peddler's Permit). I was also told I should contact the police dept. and tell them that this company is going door to door without a permit. I called the one in my district. If they are going to lie to you before signing up what will happen afterwards?!!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Our company received a bill in the mail for over $1,000. I called to find out what it was for, as we have never been customers of Constellation Energy. I talked with someone on 1/15, 1/17, 1/22 and 1/25. Each person had different stories. Finally on 1/22 a lady told me I would hear from someone within 24 - 48 hours. I called back 1/25 because I had not. On 1/22 the agreement they said they had for our account had some other business name and service address. They were "checking into" it.

When I called 1/25 I was told I could not talk to the person handling my ticket, he had to contact me. So, here I sit with a bill over a grand, multiple phone calls, supervisors too busy to talk with me and a person handling my case I cannot even talk to. This has been a nightmare and we are not even their customer! I would not recommend this company to anyone because their lack of concern is very apparent in our story.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I contracted, got an account, then they never hooked me up. Had to pay a month to month rate with old provider costing 40% more in coldest months of year. They promised to rectify problem and reimburse if I sent bill copies of the old provider documenting additional expenses I incurred from their failure. When I followed up to find out status, they said sorry, they cannot do as promised and made up a reason. Not only cost me money, but wasted my time with empty promises, and managed to view my old provider's bills. Corporate nonaccountability at its worst.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

Sales rep came to the door late in the evening and told us that all of our village residents are switching to this company because they are a green company and do not use fossil fuel. It was late and really thought it sounded good so we signed up. I researched the next day and read all of these reviews and related to what all the one star people said. The five star people are fake reviews and one only got one bill which he compared to an average based on a year of bills.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I had no idea I was paying way too high rates on my electricity. All I knew was my monthly cost averages $500. I signed up with Constellation and I'm now paying only around 320 monthly. Although I signed up my gas to get an even better rate I am very happy with my decision.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I have not paid a bill late in many many years, thank God, but these crooks just decided to move the due date, and when I went to pay the electric bill this morning it was no longer due on the 10th, but they moved the due date forward by one day and it is now on November 9th, so it is late. Their customer service person tried to blame Center Point for this which is wrong, he said it was Center Point who sent out the bill, when everyone knows that each electricity retailer does their own billing after they buy bulk electricity from the power generating company/companies.

This is no more no less than a means to collect extra money from customers, with hundreds of thousands of customers, just imagine what they get to collect at 5% of the due amount if they can cause the payment to be late, most folks pay online like myself so many who may pay right on the due date. We have get screwed by these idiots. The customer service representative sounded more like a thug than a customer service person, rude, poor vocabulary, poor speech, mispronounced every other word, the guy sounded right out of hood rat World. Real nasty condescending attitude. I do not recommend this company to anyone, perhaps not even a worst enemy.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Just after I got home from work yesterday (11/01/2018), two guys showed up at my door wearing dark blue pants and jackets, with a patch on the jacket that reads "Constellation Energy", and carrying clipboards with lots of important looking documents attached. They totally ignored the "NO SOLICITORS" sign I have on my front door. They told me that they were not solicitors, and that my electric company is no longer ComEd. And it hasn't been for a long time. The one guy who did all the talking said that they were here at my home because I did not sign an approval notice that had been sent numerous times with my ComEd bill, that stated I was willing to have Constellation Energy as my electric provider. They also told me that ComEd is only involved in the billing process, and that my electricity had been coming from Constellation Energy for a long time already.

The guy who did all the talking was really good. I was firing off questions at him as to why I no longer have ComEd anymore, and he fired back about deregulation and revisions in the law, and so much other BS that I didn't understand. I could tell by his tone of voice that he was getting a little rattled by my persistent inquiries. I told him that the next time ComEd sends me a bill, I would look for this approval notice that he said came with every bill. He seemed satisfied by that response, but he also added that if I didn't approve Constellation Energy to be my electric provider, he would have to come back again next month. If these two chuckleheads come back next month, I'm calling the cops. This BS has to stop. NOW!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I feel lucky to have welcomed these guys in my store. I now save approximately $90 every month! My initial rate was around 15 and now it's around 10. I really don't know what to say here really, just came to show some appreciation.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I am so excited for the fact that Constellation Energy is helping people save money with their fixed protection plan. Thanks, I was able to get insulation and a new heating system. They have excellent programs and I appreciate them helping the way they did.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

The Constellation Salesperson that came to my door made fraudulent claims such as "I'm with BG&E and we want to make sure you have our latest update so that we can give you the best rates possible. I just need your account number to confirm." When I asked very specifically if this was a solicitation to change our energy supplier, she said "No, you are already a customer."

While I do acknowledge that BG&E and Constellation are both owned by Exelon, I find the statements made by the salesperson to be a stretch at best and a boldfaced lie at worst. In addition, the rates she was quoting are NOT lower than the BG&E rates we currently have, thus the statements that our rates would be lower was not only inaccurate, but a clear attempt to defraud us.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

They came to my door and said that they were coming on behalf of my gas company to check and see if I was in a fixed rate program with my company (DTE). He looked at my gas bill and noted that I wasn't and that he could switch me over to it. I asked if there was any charge and he said no. I also asked if he was switching my company for gas and he said no. I showed him where it says on the DTE website that they aren't affiliated with alternative gas suppliers and to beware of door-to-door solicitations and he said that he was just checking on something for me and not soliciting me for anything. But then he asked for my account number and said that I would be getting a $50 gift card in my email.

That sounded fishy, so I backed away. After reading these other reviews, I'm glad I did. They were really trying to switch me over to them for gas supply without giving me all the info. I don't think the guys knew they were being deceptive - they were very nice - but regardless, they weren't being forthcoming. I called DTE and was able to put a lock on my account so that no one could switch me without my consent. I was concerned that since they took down my account number, they could try it anyway. I suggest everyone do the same if you gave away your account number - your default supplier is regulated and can't jack up the prices like a secondary supplier can.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

This company totally wasted my time and I lost money because of them. Contacted them on a Friday and told them I need to switch to their service by Tues of the next week. Because I purposely put a fraud alert on my credit (precaution against ID theft), they told me I still had to pay a $150 deposit. Mind you... all these years I've been living in Houston, no energy company has ever made me pay a deposit. They told me the only way to waive it is if I get a 12 mth letter of credit from my current supplier. I told them I’ve been with my supplier on a 9 mth contract which is about to end, and asked them could I get a letter from my last 2 suppliers since that would be more than 12 mths... guess what they said?!?! "Nope". So I thought about it and the next day (Sat) the same exact rep told me he spoke to his manager and they found another way to waive the deposit... all I have to do is email them some sort of ID.

So I emailed them my driver’s license. On the Mon of the next week (day before I needed the change) an analyst replied to my email, confirming they received my ID and asked for the best number to contact me, so I immediately emailed him back with my number and asked him when I can expect a call and my service to be activated… no response. Later that day, I called the sales department again hoping to get the original rep I’ve been working with since Fri, but I got another guy that couldn’t find any info on me or anything I was saying. I gave him all the names and details of people who have been helping me so he documented everything and even established an account number for me. He pretty much guaranteed that service would be switched over the next day.

So the next day (doomsday) comes and I still haven’t received a call, email response or anything. But was so busy that I forgot to contact them. Wed comes, I call customer service to confirm it was switched over and the rep said it was switched over on Tues… but she didn’t seem confident because she couldn’t my information at first. So me having trust issues… I decide to call my previous supplier (I use the word “previously” loosely). Guess what they tell me?! ”You are still with us.” So I call Constellation back, I got another rep and explained to her e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g! You know what she tells me… ”Your account is still on hold because you owe a $150 deposit.” O-M-G… the headache begins!!! Just as I thought… the first rep didn’t know what she was talking about. So after 45 min the 2nd rep connects me to an “Executive Specialist” and I explained to him e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g!

You know what he tells me?! ”You’re not eligible to waive the deposit by just sending ID. You have to get a 12 mth letter of credit from your current supplier.” By now I’m convinced that they’re the worst company of all time and just don’t know how to communicate with each other. I told him same thing I told the original rep, “I’ve only been with my supplier for 9 mths.” He said he can try to work with that but by now I’m heated!!! I tell him I can’t talk anymore, they had taking up my whole lunch break and I have a meeting to attend. He said he will call me back by 3 pm when I said I was free… he never calls back. 7 pm comes and I call back… this time I get a supervisor or something and explained to her e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g!

She said there is nothing she can do for me now since all the Executive Specialist have left for the day, she can email the compliance department who I originally emailed my ID to (which was a total waste of time) and have this issue expedited. She guaranteed me that she or someone from Compliance would contact me the next day between 9 am-noon. At the time I am writing this complaint, it is Thurs evening (2 days after I was supposed to be switched over) and no one has contacted me yet!!!

But guess what I was doing between 9 am-12 noon today?!?! Speaking to another energy provider (Infinite Energy), who waived my deposit by emailing the same ID I sent to this Constipation company (What they really should be called… seeing how long they take!!!) and I am already switched to a new supplier… all in a matter of hours. I received confirmation emails from both my previous and current suppliers… wow what great service!!! So lesson of the day, stay away from crappy Constellation/Constipation energy. THE END!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Got renewal in mail, fixed rate was going to be higher than regular supplier so called to cancel because if you don't they give you a fluctuating rate each month right after... so I have 2 floors in household. I called to cancel both I gave the woman the address, the woman only canceled my first floor and not second... and they say it takes 2 billing cycles after the month you cancel to take off billing cycle... I called back to see why still applied to 2nd floor, and she said they would pull conversation, they did and tried to playback with me on the phone, I could not hear anything on their end of conversation just me saying correct, correct, correct. After being put on hold several times, just told the woman that I couldn't hear and would not recommend anyone and to have a nice day. Bad for business, DO NOT GET SUCKED IN. IN THE LONG RUN YOU WILL PAY MORE, AND NOT SAVE.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I called Constellation and paid all bills. I was reassured that everything was good to go, but 2 weeks later they shut off my gas service while I was out of town. I got home and called to get it reset, but the best the company can do is an 8 am to 4 pm service window the next day. I have to be home all day between 8 AM AND 4 PM to have it turned on, but they had no trouble turning it off without warning when I wasn't home. Unacceptable customer service. I do not recommend this company to anyone in Georgia.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Any time their reps are in the area they tend to be a little pushy, but this evening one came to my home that was so pushy it bordered on obnoxious & I thought I was going to have to call the police to get him to leave. I answered the knock at the door & I asked if I could help him, and he started to introduce himself and said he was with Constellation (he had on a Constellation Energy polo shirt and badge on a lanyard). I told him I wasn't interested, to which he said "not interested in what?" I responded, "whatever you're selling." He continued to say that he wasn't selling anything but he needed to have our file updated.

I told him again that I wasn't interested, and he continued pushing that he could get me out of any contracts for my gas or electric providers. I told him that wasn't true and my contracts were established and I wasn't interested. He continued arguing that they'd helped my neighbors and he could so get me out of my contract. I finally told him that I wasn't going to argue with him and that I was not interested. He finally said, "Have a good evening" and left. I still called the police because he was so aggressive and pushy and obnoxious and felt concerned about what might happen to my property (anyone that brazen and pushy could retaliate). Hell would freeze over before I would ever do business with Constellation.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Two very young door to door salespeople knocked on our door and asked if we knew our account was in default with ComEd? They then said they have been trying to contact us. My wife didn't open the door and asked if they put the statement in the mailbox...shocker, didn't leave anything for us. Total scare tactics and innocent people being taken advantage of. I hope these messages can reach someone that can do something about this. P.S. My account is current, my lights are on, and I haven't received any statements.

Original review: May 14, 2018

Residential Gas Service - On hold for over 25 minutes. Tried website, but attempts to log in/verify account went nowhere. Completed the appropriate page, then nothing happened. Customer service barely speaks English and put me on hold to get someone that could assist. This is only my second week with the company and does not bode well.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Door to door salespeople who are super pushy and will try to trick you into changing suppliers. There’s a $150 fee to change away from Constellation and their rates are really high. Don’t get fooled by teaser rates and a $75 gift card.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I scheduled service turn on when I was more being to a new house with my daughters. I was told that I had to have a 4 hour appointment. I told the lady who was scheduling the appt that if I took a half day from work I would be there a few minutes after noon. I was assured that it would not be a problem. Since the house was vacant, I could leave the key under the doormat and they would call me when they arrive bed.

When I got to the house at about 12:30 they had already been there and did not call me or use either key to go into the house. I left a key to the front door and a key to the back door. When I called them there was no apology. I was just told that they cannot guarantee that the installers will do what was promised to the customer. If she had told me this I would have taken another hour off from work and made sure I was there for the entire 4 hour window. I am as told that they could not reschedule until 5 days later.

This morning it was 33 degrees when I left to take my daughters to school. He said that my daughters and I would just have to sleep in the freezing temperatures for 5 days with no heat. They would not attempt to rush the work since it was their error. I asked him to cancel the service and to send a confirmation email. He said that he would do so but lied to me because of course I never received an email from him. I hung up and contacted Gas South and they will be connecting the gas first thing in the morning on the next day. Why was Constellation going to force two kids under 8 years and of age to sleep in unheated house for 5 next gets? Very cruel and uncaring company! Next stop is the Better Business Bureau!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Got a email and letter that my contract was about to run. I called them and tried to negotiate a new one. We could not come to a agreement to a new rate, so I said I'm going back to my local utility, he said, "Well when the contract runs out you will roll back to the local utility." Lies. Nothing but more lies. Four months later I look at my bill and Constellation is still there at a rate out of this world. When I call them back, they say, "You didn't say cancel." "When I said to your representative, we can't come to a agreement on a rate and I'm going back to my local utility," I asked her, "What does that mean to you?" No answer, just that I didn't say cancel. So I started saying cancel loudly till she got the message. Watch out very underhanded people!!!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

The company violates two terms in their agreement to take advantage of consumers. First, they fail to give notification when the fixed term of the contract is expiring (as promised) and secondly they raised the unpublished variable rate (which kicks in as soon as the fixed rate ends) from .0799 to .1734 cent per kWhr even though their contract says their unpublished variable rate will never be more than .1500cent per KWHR. Their call center says there is nothing they can do and that the company has the right to raise rates higher than the values published in the contract.

Their business practices are deceptive at best and probably illegal. They get paid by adding their fees onto Jersey Central Power and Light monthly bill. JCPL tells me to talk to Constellation, Constellation says they cannot make any adjustments. I filed a complaint with the NJ Public Utility Commission and hope the state will prevent Constellation from ripping off other customers.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Why the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities allows this to continue should be a crime against consumers. It's not like Constellation Energy goes out of their way to notify you to renew. And the Utilities Commissions continue to allow these 3rd (rate) party providers to ** consumers when renewals lapse not only penalizing consumers for the month they missed, but for an additional month because it is nothing but a billing scam. My rate jumped from $0.0799 to $0.1791 because of a renewal lapse. I called Constellation Energy and they were absolutely useless. This must be the only way they are making money. I recommend all consumers stop doing business with these 3rd party loser because the sooner they go out of business the better. And the public utilities should be ashamed of themselves for letting these variable rate scams continue. I am done with 3rd party electric providers!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Beware! If you don’t renew energy providers immediately, Constellation will take you to the cleaners. I’ve been a loyal customer for a few years but I missed renewing my contract by a few days. Constellation took care of me and jacked up my rate to their highest rate and held it there for a month. I lost a few hundred dollars. When I called customer service, they confirmed that was what happened. They were sorry but wouldn’t fix anything. They did remind me I had a $150 cancellation fee. Could the best money I spend!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

My gas was turned off without notice. I called and was told that I did pay my bill but they did not know why my account was not credited at that time. My bank never received a bill debit, from my account but they sent me an NSF check fee. I told them I was not going to pay the fee so they said they would minus the $25.00 charge from the bill. I went ahead and paid the bill per the lady I spoke to without the fee. The next bill came and it showed the difference of $25.00 still added to the bill. I called again and they told me they would minus it again.

I got another bill. The fee was added again, I got another bill and this time they add an AGL reconnection fee of 25.00 to the bill. These people think that they dealing with a dummy. AGL does not charge a fee to reconnect. That was what I was told when they came to reconnect my gas. They are trying to get that $25.00 out of me anyway possible. They were arguing with me on the phone for 25.00, which I did not owe them. Please help me with this. They want to charge you with bill matrix every time you pay a bill online and they don’t have a local area for you to pay your bill. They also said they reversed the charge but the 25.00 keep showing as a balance on the account.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

A gentleman comes to my door and knocks, first off instead of standing behind the door he decides to move in position of my open window basically getting a full view inside my home. I was hesitant to answer, but since he was basically looking in he had already saw me (and not to appear rude) I answered. Once I answered he identified himself and made some ridiculous joke that he was there for dinner. I am not humorless, but there was nothing funny about asking for dinner. How about keeping this professional.

Additionally, after peeping into my window and seeing who he was I was less than enthusiastic to see him. He went on with a spiel about how my electric and gas companies are overcharging and he has been sent to the neighborhood to help and give all of us in the neighborhood a cheaper rate. I already have reservations about these 3rd party suppliers and have heard negative things from others in the past. Plus I do not sign up with anything door to door or over the phone, so I immediately shut him down. I told him that I had been sent literature from various suppliers and that I would do my research. If I wish to change and am interested I will reach out to switch.

He then just ignored what I said and kept on going with his sales pitch. I again told him I wasn't interested and he asked me why? I told him I was in the middle of something and that I again wasn't interested. He then went on to ask me if it was just a timing issue? I then became annoyed and told him Goodbye and closed the door in his face. Absolutely ridiculous. I will be investing in a "NO SOLICITORS" sign as this is not the first time these suppliers have come to my door. We just moved here 3 months ago and I have probably had 6-8 knocks on my door since then from these people. This time was the only time I answered and it will be the last.

MXEnergy expert review by Jonathan Trout

Constellation is an independent energy supplier for Illinois and throughout the United States. It offers residential customers, small business owners, commercial and industrial companies and government agencies electricity, gas and solar solutions. It serves 2.5 million customers, including two-thirds of Fortune 100 companies, and gives back to communities across the nation.

• Residential services: Constellation offers multiple fixed-rate plans to fit your budget. You can choose the term of contract, and your monthly electricity bill will be the same throughout the length of your contract.

• Renewable electricity plans: Depending on the state you live in, a percentage of the electricity your home uses can be generated from wind energy sources. Constellation uses wind farms and wind turbines in certain states to provide clean energy sources where laws and regulations allow.

• Solar power: If you’re thinking about switching to solar energy, Constellation partners with Sunrun to help you outfit your house with a solar system. Sunrun offers flexible payment plans, including a zero down plan and a prepaid plan. The prepaid plan allows you to buy 20 years of power up front at the best price Sunrun offers. Constellation and Sunrun currently provide solar power in six states to residents who spend over $100 per month on their energy bill.

• Small business options: Constellation provides small businesses with custom energy plans and will help you find the right plan for your business. It understands running a small business comes with unique budget challenges and can make the difference in the size of your profit margin. If you’re a small business owner, you can contact a customer care representative to determine which energy resource works best for your company.

• Payment options: Constellation gives you multiple payment options to choose from. You can do a one-time payment option via direct withdrawal, check or credit card. You can choose a monthly recurring payment using a credit card or you can pay by phone. You can also set up an online account to receive paperless statements and manage your billing cycles.

• Best for: customers wanting a competitive electricity supplier.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout