Constellation

formerly MXEnergy

3.1/5 (348 ratings)

About Constellation

Constellation Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Constellation?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about MXEnergy?

Original review: April 24, 2020

Updated Review on 06/12/2020: Please do not believe anything you read about Constellation Energy at ** or **. These sites have many identical reviews despite representing customers from different states. This similarity indicates the reviews are manipulated. This particular review is an update from a previous review sent to ConsumerAffairs in April. It has not yet been posted because they are still waiting for a response from Constellation. Other review sites described in detail the predatory marketing practices of this brokerage company (they and their parent company EXELON are not really energy companies at all, much like Enron).

They convinced my wife, who has dementia, into changing gas providers. Then, when I attempted to change the account to my name (because of my wife's limited capacity to check the monthly billing emails) they asked for a ridiculous disconnect and reconnect fee. Since they are a brokerage company, and not a utility company, they have nothing to do with actually turning your gas utilities on or off. Then they split the account, but did not send me any of the bills or history from the old account. It looked as though they did not credit one of my payments, but it was actually credited to the old account for which I had NO information.

After months of complaining (both directly and through Better Business Bureau complaints) they finally explained that the payment was credited to the old account. Of course, I would not know this because I was locked out of that account in my wife’s name. Finally, I asked them to send me a zero-balance bill from the old account so I can pay the final bill on the other account and be assured they are not hiding any additional debt claims that I don’t know about. They have not responded even after I sent registered letters to their CEO and the CEO of their parent company (EXELON).

I have now spent more money trying to get a response than I owe them, so I have given up. Luckily I teach chemical engineering at a U.S. university so this experience is now an illustrative case study for both chemical engineering classes in the energy field, and in a class I teach in new technical startup. Constellation puts significant resources into its marketing, but its customer service infrastructure is dismal. You should avoid this company at all costs.

Original Review: I made previous complaints that Constellation messed my account and bill in various ways, and I terminated service with them. I am still not free of their utter incompetence as they claim I still have an unpaid balance with them. They failed to post a bank debit card payment of mine. I have the bank records and reference number for the transaction, but after several months I cannot get them to fix the error because I cannot penetrate the gauntlet of incompetence they call customer service. The people that work for customer service are quite nice, but they work for an incompetent corporation.

I have filed a BBB complaint and will sue them in small claims court should that not resolve the situation. Exelon is their parent company and it follows a revenue model of virtual energy companies like ENRON (perhaps you remember how that turned out). They are energy brokers that move energy resources around and then contract with local delivery companies that connect this resource to your home. Then they invest in the bare minimum level of customer service infrastructure to tempt with short term utility rates, but they cannot competently resolve issues when they make billing and account mistakes. I switched to Georgia Natural Gas, and I recommend you contract with a local provider even if it is a bit more expensive. Avoid Constellation and any of the subsidiary companies of EXELON which you can find at **.

Original review: April 9, 2020

The sales make a commission and because of that the sales rep I had to work with, Angela **, was just spouting lie after lie about anything she can to get me to sign. I actually read contracts and I told her that multiple points were the opposite of what she said (basically I would get all these extra charges and fees that she said she guarantees I won't get). She stated that those points in the contract are inaccurate and what she is saying is the truth, yet she said she was not willing to email any of that because 'she's not allowed to put any of this in writing' which is very odd. I said I can ask the customer service agents in email and see if they are willing to write any of the information back.

She said "you know what, clearly you're not comfortable with this so you shouldn't send anything and you should just think about what it is you want." Pretty odd too. So I emailed them anyway and turns out everything she said was a lie. Then I looked at the reviews of this company and I'm disappointed I didn't look earlier, otherwise I could've saved my time. Apparently, they have a reputation for their bad sales reps and poor service. I should've guessed when just to start service took a 30min wait time to get to a rep. That's always a bad sign.

Original review: April 9, 2020

Sometime around August of 2019, I used the chat function to discuss with an agent how to get my plan transferred from my parent's house to my new house. Never having done this before, I trusted whatever she was going to do was correct. She advised that I switch my plan over to the new house and that my parents sign up with a separate provider of their own. Sounded legit enough. Long story short, my closing date (which was also my switch date) came along and, lo and behold, power was completely cut off to my parent's house.

Naturally, we called the new provider of my parent's house (Gexa) and waited for nearly 2 hours, only to find that Constellation had sent an order to CenterPoint (main energy provider) to discontinue electricity service to my parents house, rather than simply transferring service to the new house and transitioning existing energy to my parents house over to Gexa. At the time, my mom was undergoing testing for breast cancer. She certainly didn't need this type of stress. In the middle of Houston heat, the house was burning up to nearly 80 degrees inside. With no internet, no means of cooking, no lights, and total discomfort, I decided to front a hotel, while Gexa promised to work it out with Centerpoint on how to expedite getting power restored to my parent's house the very next day.

It wasn't easy to find a place for one night and on a moment's notice, that was also pet friendly. Not to mention I was the only one with an available car since, you guessed it, my parent's car was stuck in the power operated garage. With work the very next day, I grabbed the basics and arranged to take an Uber to work so that my parents can use my car to get back (to an eventually powered up) home. I'm no expert, but there HAD to be SOME way that could have played out better.

I paint the picture with details because it doesn't end there, the WORST part was how Constellation reacted after I called to discuss and find out what had happened. I was unfortunately handed off to some guy who had zero empathy and zero respect. I'm not sure to this day that I have EVER been so disrespected. I got no answer or explanation for the mixup, except for phrases that could be summarized as "things happen when you are on chat, they don't always know what you mean" "you should be grateful, it could have been worse, everyone is OK."

If my call was truly recorded, I would love for them to pull the call up. There were also long periods of silence in between my time conversing with this idiot (no background noise), knowing I was clearly being muted, which infuriated me further. In summary, stay far, far away from this company. It doesn't take a trained monkey to do a little research and see how poor the reviews are. I'd pay a few extra cents if it meant getting better service than I got with them.

Original review: March 23, 2020

After being lured in by the promise of lower rates, they wound up noticeably higher than my electric supplier. Not only were they higher, but, after cancellation, they continued to bill me on an outside light at 148 kwh per month for 22 months (as you've likely noticed, electric bills are insane to try to read through and decode, so, I didn't notice it until my electric company pointed it out to me). Here's the slimy kicker- the outside light that they were still charging me for, doesn't even have a meter on it! MY electric company had set it up on a flat rate when first installed. So, how on earth could they charge by kwh?? Good question. Must be nice to just make up a number and charge the customer. I will be contacting the Attorney General and doing my best to shut these scumbags down!!!

Original review: March 6, 2020

Be mindful of nice people at the mall! When I signed up for their services, my bill was supposed to go down, but instead my bill ended up being higher than if I stayed with PECO. I'm digging in much further on this, but they are now demanding $150 to allow me to leave. I feel really bad to the seniors who are signing up to save money on their gas and electric. BAD DEAL AND STAY AWAY!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

i switched to them because they offered lower rates and would guarantee them. After the first bill, there were all kinds of hidden charges and my bill was actually higher. I called them and they offered to let me out of the contract but they charged me $100 cancellation fee. Don't trust these guys. Check ratings. Theirs is among the lowest in the industry.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I chose Constellation as the cheapest bid for my new a/c purchase. They are not only horrible but dishonest. They made numerous installation errors, which they promised to fix, but no-showed every time and then quit returning my calls. They also left a huge hole where the wiring entered my house through the exterior bricks, and I've now learned that rats have been entering my attic through the hole, and it's going to cost me tons of money to address this problem. DO NOT do business with these incompetent and dishonest people!!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

I signed up with Constellation in September 2019. I received a contract from them. They were supposed to switch me over to their service by 10/15 the latest. The rate was supposed to be .855 fixed for 12 months. As of 12/11 they had NOT changed me over to them costing me an extra $50 per month for two months =$100.00 in extra costs, When I called they admitted that an incompetent representative had NOT submitted the paperwork, but they had zero intention of remedying the situation. DON'T even think of using these people. Pay a bit more and sign up with reliable competent suppliers.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

It is time for me to renew or change my electric supplier. I have been using Constellation for the past year or so. They sent me a notice that I compared to the Public Service Commission's official rates. Surprise! Their written quote was higher than PSC postings. I called to check and after they checked the PSC website we eventually negotiated a plan with a reasonable rate. They sent a confirmation with a link to my. Problem: The link to the supposed "documents" does not work. Called to check and someone in Central America came on line. (Note: Not good for jobs in the U.S.; and just how safe is my personal information with someone in Central America?) Waiting now to maybe receive said documents via snailmail, and how do I know these are the "Contract Documents"?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

I recently purchased a house, and had to deal with choosing an ESCO. Before I even got my ConEd account number I had decided to go with Clean Choice Energy and started the process of selecting them as my ESCO. Not once did I even consider or speak with Constellation abour having them be my suppliers. I just paid my third coned bill and contacted Clean Choice about a credit and they informed me that they were no longer my suppliers, that they were removed and I was now with someone else. Needless to say I had to re-start the process of selecting them as my supplier AGAIN and asked coned to put a block on my account. I think it's ridiculous that an ESCO has the ability to add themselves as your supplier without your consent. Very shady and would never even consider using them for anything.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

Constellation's door to door salesman, wearing Constellation hat, shirt and name tag, came to my mother's door today. The little SCAMMER told me that Ohio AEP (her electric company) sent him out to update her system. He claimed he worked for AEP and Columbia Gas of Ohio. When I asked him why his name tag said Constellation instead of Columbia Gas or AEP he said his company was the direct supplier for both of the utility companies. He told me he was there at their request and needed to update the system to save money and if I did not do it right then, I would lose my chance.

I asked him, specifically, if he was a third party supplier. The man told me "No. I work for Columbia Gas and Ohio AEP." I asked again and he said the same thing and that Ohio AEP had been reaching out by phone and if I hadn't answered a call from an 800 number, I had missed them. Therefore the utility company sent him out. I told him I would call the electric company to confirm this information and get back to him. Again, he told me this was my ONLY chance to take advantage of the savings. I sent him away. I called Ohio AEP and Columbia Gas. Both said he did not represent them in any way. Their Constellation worker is going door to door directly lying to elderly people to scam them into changing companies. He is saying change now or pay higher costs. Filthy, rotten liars trying to trick old people. I saw him talking to a neighbor and called him out on it. Scams! Wish there was something lower than 1 star!!!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

Constellation Salespeople came into our business, asked to look at our energy bill to show difference in their energy savings. Suddenly our energy bills came in from Constellation without our consent, when we asked to cancel their service they required an appointment to be made. When the appointed day arrived, they did not. Furthermore they claimed the appointment was never set up! Next we called to speak to a supervisor who said services can not be canceled unless they receive a formal email letter of authorization addressed to customer service solely from the owner of the business with specific wording for reason! HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE! STAY AWAY FROM CONSTELLATION!!!!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

We had a great rate from Constellation until we renewed after contract. We renewed online and in the very small fine print it said rate adjustable, well my bill went from 230 a month to 520 and then 630. Found out then they were charging 18.5 cents per KW hour, 2 and a half times what we were paying. I quickly switched providers and will be writing the PUC to complain, a total ripoff.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

In trying to resolve a problem with debiting my account twice, I was two days and on hold for a total of well over an hour. Their internal email system also was unanswered. They claim to have a chat room but there was no way to access it. When I finally reached them a very nice lady took care of the problem. The refund is the same old story with most companies -- it took 5 seconds to charge my account but will be around 5 days to refund the over-payment. I am with Constellation because I was originally with StarTex (the top customer service company in the industry) who later was acquired by Constellation. That is like trading an ice cream Sunday for a licorice stick.

Original review: July 29, 2019

They get 2 stars for my initial rate when I signed up, but now they took away the offer that they gave me to renew, but when I originally called about it the customer service rep didn't know what I was talking about even though I received a notice for it. I could also go online and see the offers. So attempting to renew that plan today, they no longer offer it and want to double my bill. I also can no longer see the offers. Gave me zero incentive to stay. Offered me the same plans they offer everyone else.

I spoke to 3 people over the phone and on the chat everyone gave me different contract end dates. All gave me different plans (which all doubled current pricing). Then everyone keeps telling me what my rate is but yet I'm on a tiered plan, I have to correct everyone because they do not look into my account before offering anything. It's extremely frustrating to have to now search for a new provider since they no longer are offering me a plan that is comparable to me current.

Original review: July 17, 2019

BEWARE! Do not under ANY circumstances provide a Constellation door to door salesperson with your bill! No matter what they promise. Do not give it to them! So, this my story: I had a Constellation salesperson come to my door and offered to switch my electric supply for a discount. He asked if he could see my bill to compare, and because I am too nice and stupid, I was willing to hear him out. Well, after all was said and done, I said "No thank you." and he left.

Well, jump forward several months later, and I receive a notice from Ameren saying my Electric Supplier Choice was changing at my request. I called Ameren, and was told that even if I refused their offer, nor signed any agreement, Constellation could switch me, because all they needed is my account number! And by providing them with my bill to compare, they were able to get my account number. It's pretty crazy, in this day and age of ID theft, that not even a contract or any identifying information can be used to make a major account change. But, the helpful person at Ameren told me this was the way it was. Constellation appears to be an absolute scam of a company, employing dishonest people. And if I ever see one of them come to my door, I am going to tell them to get off my property.

Now, the reason why they waited so long to submit my supplier change is that they were probably hoping I wouldn't pay any attention, or not understand what the notice I received was. The very nice lady at Ameren let me switch back to Ameren as my supply choice on the phone, and all is well now. Again, do not under any circumstances give Constellation, or ANY door to door salesperson your electric bill. They will take your account number, and can at ANY time switch you.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I switched over to Constellation from Reliant on a 6 month contract. The kw/h rate was lower, however, there a fee structure hidden in the fact sheets that I did not notice even I looked several times. My fault and I take accountability for that but I wanted to share after my recent experience. My monthly bill actually rose from the switch by a few dollars. I had 7 months left in my Apartment and I signed a 6 month contract. Without notice of my contract expiring or rates changing, Constellation electric issued me a bill that had more than doubled from the previous month even though I had used virtually the same energy as in the previous billing cycle.

Constellation has no phone support and only offers 'Live Chat'. The website is utilitarian and it is not user-friendly. The live chat rep, Wendy, informed me that a notice was sent approx 1.5 months before contract expiration, although, there is no record of this in either of my email accounts. I was offered no assistance and Constellation's stance was basically 'pay it or else.' Avoid friends!

Original review: June 28, 2019

Not worth your time. Did not set up my electric account. Still got charged when I switched to a company who could handle the account properly. A real joke of an experience. Stick with the traditional providers for this and you will be better off.

Original review: June 3, 2019

2 guys were just at the door. On their bright blue shirts it said "Constellation". He presented himself as representing Comed and Nicor. Had a sample bill with some parts highlighted in green and stated that if I have 3 particular lines under the supply part then I am paying too much. Then he whipped out a Comed notification that he said I should have gotten but no one seems to notice on the bottom of my bill or online as a PDF. I said "I never got it". Then he would I take a look online now to see if I had these 3 lines. I said "no, I will check later". He said I could not do it and it had to be now while he was here (very pushy and annoying). Then I said "but it does not say Comed on your shirt" and he mumbled something obscure. What a scam.

Original review: May 23, 2019

First, they increased my cost per kWh without notification. I signed up for 7.8c per kWh, then magically it changed to 12.8c per kWh. Obviously, I started looking to change providers. I bought solar panels and switched to a green company on March 26th. They called me on May 22nd stating I owed them $400 and that I was delinquent for Feb, Mar, and Apr. They also tried to charge me for the "minimum usage fee" in April (I canceled them on March 26th). I had auto pay set up, so how was I delinquent on a bill? "Oh we performed a system upgrade and it dropped people". I guess they thought it was a good idea to wait 3 months to tell me? They also never sent me the bills until I asked on May 22nd. And I thought I got away from these criminals. Stay away at all costs. Shady company run by crooks.

Original review: April 8, 2019

They came to my store and fooled into switching my electric & gas service. They are dishonest and untrustworthy and a bad company that prey on the unsuspected. If you fall on their trap and later decide to cancel the contract before it starts, they will hit you an early termination fee of over $1,600. So beware.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Door to door people saying they will lower your utilities mostly preying on seniors. They talk over your head and represent themselves as the public utility commission reducing your usage charge. NOT true. Having been this route before I asked if they were changing my provider. I was told no. That was a direct lie. Thankfully with internet I got a contract and caught it. My 80 something year old neighbor did not see that with no internet so I warned her and gave her the number to cancel. The kids they send around are college kids- but still HOW scummy to prey on those on lower income. What good company relies on door to door sales. DO NOT respond to them. No price they say is guaranteed really is. I read the contract. It was nothing like what I was told.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I am writing this for my elderly mother. She had StarTech and they were brought out by Constellation. Constellation sent her bill in Feb and she noticed that her Jan payment had not been accredited to her account. When she contacted them, the first person that she spoke to, was non-English speaking and very difficult to understand. She then spoke to the Supervisor, who was not much better. She faxed all the information to them and lo and behold the next month the same charges were on the bills. Contacted customer service and once again the same problems. They advised that they had not received the fax had not been received. Well I had the printout showing it went through on my end. My Mom sent a complaint to the Public Utility Commission in Austin, hopefully they get this mess straightened out.

Original review: March 13, 2019

It all began when one of their people solicited my home. I searched it up online and it's actually illegal for electric supplier people to solicit to like that. I didn't know it at that time and I unfortunately let them in because I was interested in their deals. They told me to call National Grid and to say that I want to transfer to Constellation. The people told me that I can't let National Grid know that they were next to me and that they were guiding me to transfer to them. When I asked why, they kept saying that they'll tell me later after I complete the contract (ugh, I'm so angry at how naive I was back them).

That was one of my biggest regret in my life. They made up fake emails for me, rude when I said that I never made those emails, and they kept transferring me to endless people whenever I said that I wanted to cancel, etc. This had been going on for months. Luckily, I bought a home; National Grid stated that whenever you buy a home, they will have to give you a new account number. And with that, I somehow easily was able to get the constellation ** off my back. Constellation, go ** yourselves.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I had a sales rep stop by my house telling me how Constellation was providing a cheaper rate than what I currently have and how having that specific supplier was going to save me money in the future. BOGUS! I did a comparison on all my electric and gas bills for the number of months I lived in my house and I was paying at a lower rate than what Constellation was providing.

For the gas billings, only 1 out of 17 months that I was paying for over the $0.899 per therm rate. For the electric billings, I was paying over the $0.1299 (Constellation rate) was about 20% of the time and those were mainly during the winter. For people reading this, I recommend doing a full analysis on your current rates from Month A to Month B (yearly) to see if the Constellation rate is actually a good deal. I read the constellation disclosure statement, there's a section for Savings and indicates that "Savings are not guaranteed".

The representative that stopped by my house stated "you will save more with a supplier than no supplier". I was so stupid to believe that was true when she only compared the rates to my current bills. Also, the rep said I can call NationalGrid to remove the Constellation supplier - Statement Lied again, NationalGrid won't remove the supplier since they have no clue what agreements is stated for Constellation or if there's a fee for removing the supplier. I have to call Constellation directly to remove them as supplier.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Make sure you keep up with your contract date. I paid twice the amount for over a year because I was not under contract. Constellation advise that they sent a letter to inform me of this, I never received the letter. No telling how many other customers are paying more than they should. Where is the customer service for these companies. Maybe all gas companies do this. Current rate per therm .365. I was paying .8999.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I have nothing to say but this is crazy nightmare to get a bill for 425 dollars from a company that you never heard of!!!! I never signed with them. I am not their customer and they charged me for a service I never asked for. The only thing I can think of is to go to court. This people belong in jail! Period.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Young woman comes to my door with only a pink cellphone in her hand. She told me that I "Need to re-register my Duke account." I told her that I don't have Duke. I have IGS. She then told me that Constellation is part of IGS. After I got her away from my door I called the IGS supervisor who told me that is not true. I reported this to the Utilities Commission as well as the City (They did not apply for the required Peddler's Permit). I was also told I should contact the police dept. and tell them that this company is going door to door without a permit. I called the one in my district. If they are going to lie to you before signing up what will happen afterwards?!!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Our company received a bill in the mail for over $1,000. I called to find out what it was for, as we have never been customers of Constellation Energy. I talked with someone on 1/15, 1/17, 1/22 and 1/25. Each person had different stories. Finally on 1/22 a lady told me I would hear from someone within 24 - 48 hours. I called back 1/25 because I had not. On 1/22 the agreement they said they had for our account had some other business name and service address. They were "checking into" it.

When I called 1/25 I was told I could not talk to the person handling my ticket, he had to contact me. So, here I sit with a bill over a grand, multiple phone calls, supervisors too busy to talk with me and a person handling my case I cannot even talk to. This has been a nightmare and we are not even their customer! I would not recommend this company to anyone because their lack of concern is very apparent in our story.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I contracted, got an account, then they never hooked me up. Had to pay a month to month rate with old provider costing 40% more in coldest months of year. They promised to rectify problem and reimburse if I sent bill copies of the old provider documenting additional expenses I incurred from their failure. When I followed up to find out status, they said sorry, they cannot do as promised and made up a reason. Not only cost me money, but wasted my time with empty promises, and managed to view my old provider's bills. Corporate nonaccountability at its worst.

Constellation (formerly MXEnergy) Company Information