1.18/5

Need a utility company?

Ann Arbor, MI

Need a utility company?

209 DTE Energy Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

Serious. This company is using smart meters to fleece their customers. They can dial up cost during high use, dial it down during low use, and fleece people. The first month after I opt-out of smart meter my bill dropped 35%. Coincidence? Hardly, I have 3 years of comparative data to prove this. Do your self a favor, opt-out of the smart meter. Less radiation for your family, better sleep, and best of all, lower bills! Don't let DTE take you for a ride.

Original review: July 30, 2019

After what I've been through this past week with DTE, I wholeheartedly agree that DTE Energy sucks! From DTE not taking me seriously; losing reports; closing out reports; misinformation; miscommunication; the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing; creating chaos; condescending supervisors/techs; being told they cannot help me because I filed a MPSC complaint; having to repeat the same thing over and over again; having to call every day and sometimes twice a day; etc. Terrible, just terrible. They should be thanking me for identifying the high voltage problem before it caused serious harm!

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 24, 2019

I spent 25+ years in North Carolina with Duke Energy and Carolina Power & Light/Progress. I lived for several years in Massachusetts using Mass Electric. I've been in Michigan now for 17+ years with DTE, and they are the most unreliable I've experienced. I've been through hurricanes and severe heat waves down South where the power didn't go out or was back on ASAP. I've been in New England ice and blizzards in Massachusetts where the power maybe when out once.

But here in Michigan, one little round of severe thunderstorms and wind, a semi-heavy ice storm, or a mild heat wave brings down the lines and overwhelms the grid leaving people without power for several days and even longer. I've never seen anything like it. Old power lines still abound that are allowed to dip low swinging in the wind or that run underneath heavy trees and foliage. I've had so many surges, brownouts, and outages in my newer sub with lines actually buried that I had to buy a backup generator to my generator AND a full-house surge protector. The state of the utilities here are as bad as the state of their barely maintained roads. Again, I've never seen anything like it.

Original review: June 23, 2019

I recently had some issues with pay due to my husband being active in the military. I was notified by DTE that I would get a shut off notice if I didn’t pay my past due balance PLUS a $340 security deposit!! What?!? Then I find out the reason is because my payment was returned. Even though I set the payment up to hit on my payday, they apparently try to take it at midnight! Keep in mind, direct deposits usually don’t hit until 8am. I’m sure they know this, so of course they get a returned NSF payment, then go ahead and lump a Sec Dep on top of it.

After arguing with a representative for over an hour (and being disconnected 3 times), they finally agreed to reverse one of the $170 charges. I started making cash payments to catch up. I finally got my balance in order when I got another bill with a $510 security deposit!!! I have been making cash payments and no returned funds since my last correspondence with them since the end of May. They now tell me that the cash I had been paying didn’t go to any of my usage, just deposits, so now if I don’t pay over $409 in 2 weeks I get shut off.... Thanks guys.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I have been a DTE Energy customer since it was called Detroit Edison and I have never been more disappointed in a company. It is truly the poster child for why we NEED competition! If we had competition in this arena, DTE would have been out of business a long time ago and replaced with a cheaper and more efficiently run electric company! When I recently inherited a house I called DTE to transfer service into my name, set up auto-pay, and request that paper bills be sent to my mailing address.

The first bill I received was sent to the inherited house address. I happened to be there and got the bill and then called to remind them that the service address is NOT the mailing address. They said they "corrected" my account. Auto-pay was not on the bill either, so I paid it while I was on the phone about the mailing address, and also reminded them about auto-pay. They confirmed the account was on auto-pay and didn't know why payment wasn't taken automatically.

A month and half later I received a shut-off notice for non-payment of account. Again, they didn't take payment automatically even though THEY set it up from day 1! I never received ANY bills even though I called twice to give them my address. I called a third time and insisted that I speak with a Manager as their customer service doesn't work! I waited on hold for almost 15 minutes before the Manager picked up her phone. The Manager said that despite my previous two calls to provide the mailing address, it was not on my account. She said she "corrected" my account. She also said that auto-pay was set up on my account but it had not been "confirmed" (whatever that means). Apparently two telephone calls to them to make sure it is set up and operational is NOT confirmation enough for them.

The Manager said that she "confirmed" it. She removed the improper charges that were assessed against my account and told me that she cancelled all references to the impending shut-off. Fingers crossed that she actually did what she said she was doing! Leaves me wondering what the customer service representatives were actually doing when they said they were setting up auto-pay and my mailing address. The conclusion I have reached is that we need MORE competition not more government control! Our utility companies already have too much government control. We already have more than one electric service company in Michigan. I a few more would give us some real options and encourage competition for our business. Right now, we are a captive audience and they know it!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DTE Energy?

Original review: June 17, 2019

I heat my house with a wood boiler that has a fan powered by electricity. Which sends heat to my water boiler which is powered by electricity and my house heater sends the heat through the house powered by an electric fan. Also my thermostat is powered by electricity. So why will DTE only accept the Michigan home heating energy draft if you are a gas customer? I have no gas in my home. Only electric!!

Original review: June 8, 2019

In 2017 my father's house was foreclosed on so we emptied it out and the DTE was shut off a few times in the process. Well the last time it was shut of near the end of 2017 we were completely out of the house and my father began making payments on the DTE bill in my name. Someone turned the power and gas back on November 2017. I recently saw it on my credit report. It was a bill for 2100 and it took DTE a year to turn off the utilities in my name after it was previously shut off.

Well recently I showed them proof that I signed my lease for my apartment in September of 2017 and renewed my lease in 2018. I asked them to provide proof on who turned the utilities back on in my name since they record calls. I was told they don't hold on to recordings that far back and that I'm responsible for the bill. Someone purchased that house at the end of 2017 or the beginning of 2018 from the bank and had the utilities on in my name. I don't understand how I'm responsible for DTE screw up and they cant provide any proof who turned the utilities on in my name while I can provide proof that I was no longer living at that address.

Original review: June 3, 2019

This morning my power was disconnected due to non-payment over two months. I was using auto-pay, which for some reason stopped charging my account over the last couple months and I didn't notice. My late payments were only for $237. I called DTE to have my service restored, and they want to charge me $240 as a deposit, which I receive back after paying on time for 12 months, and a $40 restoration fee. This is unbelievable. I have no other alternatives for energy companies, and now they are extorting me for $240. DTE has a monopoly on the industry and now they are taking full advantage of their position, most likely to pay for more commercials to promote their product even though we have no other choice but to use their service. The government needs to take over our energy services. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Original review: May 10, 2019

NOT ONLY DO I NOT recommend this but I’m very angry with this plan. I called to have this plan added only to find out when my refrigerator died they canceled my plan without ANY notice! They do NOT cover the whole machine that is broken they give you 400 towards a new one. Now I’m out 1500 instead of 1100 because they “thought” I didn’t need my plan. Why else would I sign up and pay for it? They get you coming and going LOOK ELSEWHERE! I do not recommend them at all! Add this up: 37.95 x 72= 2,732.00 (6 years is the typical life span of a fridge) or however many years your appliances last then they only give you 400 toward it. You're better off without the plan your putting in 10x more money than your getting out. SCAM!

Original review: April 18, 2019

I had to have a new FURNACE, the excuse was an act of God. Received nothing from this. The hot water tank was moved when the FURNANCE was put in and the hot water tank went out, I called DTE Protection plan and they wanted to charge me more than the the company that put the FURNANCE in to put a hot water tank in. Nothing but a ripoff.

DTE Energy Company Information