2. Homeowners

Ann Arbor, MI

4.0/5 (246 ratings)

About DTE Energy

DTE Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DTE Energy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about DTE Energy?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

This is a terrible thing. 154.00 should never be the reason to shut off heat and force someone to try to survive Sub zero temps. In fact it would benefit DTE to wait *at least* two or three months past due (if not longer) because many programs will help pay multiple months of utility bills, but only one time. I lost work due to Covid, am still trying to get new job, and unemployment still hasn't sent benefits for claims filed in May 2020. The point being that it's not like I am partying and am avoiding my bills. Rather, it is more like wishing I could afford basics like tp and toothpaste let alone utilities! When my situation improves, I will replace my fuel with propane or with wood so I never have to support a company like DTE again.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

I was told smart meter will have to be read by them sending someone out and I would have "Service charge" every month for opting out of smart meter...Even though it is still a smart meter. (Smart meters suppose to be at least 40 feet from human and animals) but they won't. I get charged for ESTIMATED use, and still got service charge. I bought newspaper and did picture and video proving the ESTIMATED charges were wrong as they charged for June 12 to July 13 608 kilowatts, when I never flipped the breaker until August 1st! My meter read 18426 for a couple months and I put down 50.00$ to cover each month in order to not hassle with payments of "service charge" and had it covered.

I called DTE, waited for the usual routine of an hour +, and usual routine of transfers. They said they'd send worker out to read my meter and straighten out bill.

They never sent anyone! They sent estimated bill, AGAIN. The meter reading is still lower than their "ESTIMATE" (marked "est." on your bill next to kilowatt number hours used). Also again, service charge for estimate? Wow, and the remainder of the 50.00 I put to cover the alleged service charge again they ate it up with their lies.

I've had enough and I will make sure the world knows about their utility bill scams as it's been going on for years with different utility companies charging estimated usage never used! So folks, Please check your bills and accounts often! ALSO more importantly RECORD ALL BUSINESS PHONE CALLS! As for "TIME STOLEN" for having to dispute their scam, I WILL BE SENDING BILLS TO ALL COMPANIES THAT I AM SCAMMED BY FOR MY TIME! If they don't pay, I will file liens! Either way, I will stand ground against this system. It's not only about money, it's about stealing our TIME!

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

DTE definitely exploiting customers during COVID-19 to maximize their profit. I have been paying between $100-135 for the last two years. All of the sudden, my bill for last May went $158 then In June was $180. Then, in July it Jumped to $235. I called to understand the reason, after waiting on hold for 25 minutes, customer service representative pretended that she can’t hear me when I can hear her fine. In fact the line was very clear. Evidently, that is how DTE ignores customer complaints as DTE can’t justify the reasons.

I have heard companies saying people are staying longer at home during COVID-19. It may be true to some people but my family and I always worked from home. I have been saying essential services like electricity and water have be provided by the governments. In fact, those services should a right not privilege as people lives depend on them. Moreover, people need to call their representative to complain about DRE rate. DTE have been buying corrupt politician on a huge scale in order to secure rate increase every time. DTE is unfortunately became regional Monopoly. If we the people do not start voting old politicians out of office, things is going to get worse.

Original review: June 15, 2020

DTE is a greedy company, one winter I asked that they shut off my gas and I survived in one room in my house with a portable heater. Hoping my bill would go down. But it didn't, it actual skyrocketed. I was going on disability and could not afford much. They didn't care. I think energy companies should be non-profit, they should serve the public. I wish the government would take over.

Original review: May 20, 2020

Valerie nice after all this time to contact. Tried calling back just busy all the time. Still trying g to get bill taken care of. Now I can't even see what bill is in history. I have been trying to take care of this since beginning of March. TIred of beING hung up on or told supervisor will contact you. Never happens.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

I had my Ami meters installed back in 2013 or so, and had my reading to billing delayed all of the time. When we had the old dial meters, the meter reader physically read the meter. The billing department had to actually crunch numbers to give the right, and accurate amount on your bill. More people had jobs back then also. The readings that were taken by the employee was really good, and was also smart. Also the billing department posted the next day the amount was due on the automated system, so this way you can find out what the bill was ahead of time.

Now days all of the employees are dummies, because the computers do all the work! And the employees just sit on their butts, and do nothing while they get paid! It makes me sick that the DTE employees just sit around while getting paid! Not only that but, in order to find out what the bill is ahead of time you have to wait for a whole week just to hear what you owe on the automated system. They say that it supposed to be faster right? Who are they kidding? It's not any faster than seeing a 101 year old person trying to cross the street.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

DTE is a horrible company. They a let anybody call over the phone and use your information your personal information at that. I called them a million times to makes complaints even filled out a fraudulent package and the lady talk to me so disrespectful over the. I never want DTE ever again in my name. I had a very bad experience with them not let someone put DTE in my name without my permission and now I owe 1,00. Like wtf. Why they need to ask people for passwords even proof of documents so this happens to no one else?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

3 years ago I moved from a apartment to my home. I transferred my electric service to my home. I paid my bill from the apartment. A few months after I was in my home, I got a notice saying that I still owed from the apartment. Even though I had a confirmation number for the payment. This bill that was already paid was put on my new bill for my home. I paid it so it would not go against my credit. I have contacted DTE several times about this. I’m still waiting for a refund of a payment I made twice.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

Similar to other peoples' interactions, I too have been screwed over by DTE's "security deposit". I have been a customer with them for years, have multiple accounts, and have always made my payments on time. I recently changed my auto-pay account and unbeknownst to me, it doesn't change it for all of the accounts so DTE was taking payments out of a bank account that I don't use anymore and thus payments were being returned. I kept getting calls from them in October so after speaking with someone, he informed me that my account balance was 0$ and did not mention a single thing about returned payments. Same thing showed online.

Now a month later, I get a bill for November and October (because of a returned payment) and then December and a $243 "security deposit" because I had 2 payments returned. 2 payments that I had absolutely no idea of being returned. Their answer to all of this is "it's on your bill". I spoke to the supervisor who simply informed me they cannot refund security deposits. A security deposit that they want to hold for a year, when I've been making my payments on time for years. They're a bunch of crooks and don't care about their customers. They know we don't have a choice because there are no other providers in our area and they take full advantage of that.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

Was having Over $500 a month electric bills, I didn't know how or why it climbed so high. It didn't take long to fall behind... Spoke with a lot of people about my situation. Started off with a twenty one day extension, I called on the nineteenth day to let them know I had some emergency expenses (car broke down) wouldn't be able to pay till fifteen day's past the twenty one day's. Was told to call back five day's after the twenty one day period was up and I can get another ten day extension witch will put me at the fifteen day mark.

The person I talked to APPARENTLY LIED to me. My electric was turned off on the fifth day when she told me to call for the extended ten day. I called and told my story. Was told the person I talked to documented that she told me to call the first day after my first extension (STRAIGHT UP LIE). Also was always telling them that there is three people living at this address that use durable medical equipment and need the power back on NOW. It was like talking to someone that was my enemy.

A few year's ago I fell behind on my electric bill and woke up gasping for air... my C-PAP machine turned off when they cut my power, the sad part is, it was only 29 day's since I restored power and thought I was good to go. I called then... Had two reconnect fees and two security deposits within one month.??? Sick of typing... DTE ENERGY needs to have the Better Business Bureau take a look of how shabby they do business. There's so much more to say like how they tried taking a payment twice from me that I DIDN'T AUTHORISE and so much more!!!!

DTE Energy Company Information