1.06/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

DTE Energy

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 13, 2017

159 DTE Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

In 2014; Attorney General Bill Schuette went after AmeriGas and Ferrellgas. The settlements are made public http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,4534,7-164-17337---,00.html. I too have been dealing with DTE since April 2017 with the "billing change". Every month I speak to the supervisor... even the supervisor's supervisor with a promise they have corrected the problem. Assigned 3 different account numbers for one resident. If we all file written complaints; it will cause an investigation. You should be able to cut and paste to their complaint form. Good luck... I have a lot to copy to them also.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

For the amount of people DTE covers in the southeast area of Michigan, they do an extremely poor job of customer service and power service as well. We so much have a small thunderstorm and we will be without power for a full day. When calling to report an outage there have been times when we've had to call several times due to the fact that the people on the other end simply did not finish the service report.

Management can't even call you back when you put in a request to speak to them several times! Our area has underground power lines as well. We came from Florida with hurricanes, tropical storms and daily thunderstorms and NEVER lost power. If the issue is so bad, why aren't they upgrading their system? Not to mention everytime we lose power, our bill goes up... so many issues I could just keep going. Stay away from DTE Energy.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

DTE shut off my power today because I had a lock on my meter. I called them at the # they left, was hold and unable to get anyone till right when their office was closing. My power is still not on, it will not come on till they put in their "dumb" meter. It is not worth it to fight. We tried. Big business will always win. I won't have power till they install their radio active meter, who knows when. I thought monopolies were unconstitutional, apparently not in MI.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

My electric service had this old rusty lock that had probably been there for years. They show up one morning a whole crew of people and stick a note on my door and cut my service, they say it's because of a lock on my service box. I told them "can you wait 5 mins." I grab my bolt cutters from the garage and remove the lock, they told me they cannot wait that a picture of the lock was taken and they will cut the service even if I remove the lock that I shouldn't worry they will be back same day with a smart meter and restore the service.

Well I'm still without power 5 days later but thank God for the shiny new smart meter that's measuring NOTHING. That's right they installed the god damn meter they needed so desperately but still HAVE NOT restored my power so they got what they wanted but have still left me in the dark, destroyed all my food and forced us to deal with some nights that were below 50 because they could feel empowered and be bullies. My bill is current and was before this fiasco began. This company needs to be dissolved.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I don't see it fair for the people who choose to live in Michigan to only have DTE as their only choice. Since they have forced me to switch over to the new system/meter last year my bills are outrageous! We work all day long 6 days a week and are gone more than home. We have not run our air at all this year trying to save money cause last year we paid them over 2400 bucks and what do you know as much or higher than last year.

I call and get very rude people and get nowhere. "I'm sorry." When I ask if someone can come out and check the meter and do an actual reading I expect it to be done. Not "I'm sorry." This is an actual reading. I said "So someone came to my home and looked at it?" She tells me "No it's electronic." Well then it's not actual then is it. She was very rude and didn't seem to care at all. Told me that there's nothing she can do about it. Are you kidding me. I asked to speak to supervisor and got disconnected. 2 hours on the phone again and it happens again. This alone makes me want to leave Michigan. I have lived all over the states and this by far is the worst state. Makes me ill stressing over my Bill every month. I just want someone to explain to me why my bills are so darn high since the new meters.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DTE Energy?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

DTE is the only energy company in my area, so unfortunately, I have to deal with them. I have NEVER in my life dealt with a company that’s so unforgiving, and uncaring when it comes to billing. I get it, I need to pay my bill on time, but I’m human, and I’m juggling 30 other monthly payments. I have to figure out which check can cover which. I get NOTHING from them in the mail, yet they have my correct address on file and say they send letters all the time. I have never gotten a shut of notice, payment reminder, etc. I get ONE email telling me my bill amount and when it’s due. We were on a “budget” program, which also prevent shut off in case of late payment, missed payment, etc. The rules of the program changed suddenly without notice, and without my knowledge, we were removed from the program. I wake up, power is off. I assume the power went out. Nope, neighbors outside with Electric tools going.

Call DTE and they tell me I have a past due bill of almost $2000, and the whole amount needs to be paid PLUS late fees PLUS reconnection fees for sending crews out. (I have the DIGITAL meter, NOBODY has to come out to turn it off or on, they do it from the phone on their computers!) They literally would not change a thing. I pleaded and pleaded to pay half today, and the other half in literally THREE days when I got paid, they will not budge. I finally scrape up the past due amount (mind you, this has been more than once, it doesn’t matter if you owed $200 or $2000, they are not there to help or give a damn if your family freezes or melts to death) and she says “Okay it can be 15 minutes to 2 hours for it to come back on.” (Though it gets turned off IMMEDIATELY) Hours go by. Nothing. I call again and after being transferred 10 times, they finally found out they forgot to note my account to be reconnected.

THANKS **! So again I wait about an hour. In the past it had taken 5-6 minutes. Call again and they said “Oh yeah it should be on by now. Well there’s an issue somewhere so we’re gonna have to send a truck out, they’ll be out Wednesday.” (It was Monday afternoon...) I hung up. Called AGAIN, complained AGAIN, and the lady said there was never any action taken to turn it back on, and she has got it on within 4 minutes of being on the phone. I am now going to pay my bill, which says it’s due immediately to prevent shut off (had to wait till payday) and all it tells me is to download their app. I try, there’s no option to pay. I go back online and it says “Sorry we cannot accept your payment, click here to chat or call us”. Chat is offline. They are closed. It’s 9pm. This company is complete and utter garbage.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

We are made to use DTE as our electric provider because in Michigan they are a monopoly and do everything in their power to make sure that no one else is allowed to give consumers a choice. If I could give than less than one star I would. We have not received an electric bill for months. We were made to put a supposedly "smart meter" on our home and since then we have received no bills. Have spent hours and hours and so many phone calls and we get a different song and dance each time. They actually told us once you are not getting a bill since we cannot remotely get a reading. Well of course you can't idiots because we have a non transmitting smart meter and your meter reader is still coming out each month and you charged us $67 fee for putting a non transmitting meter on and a $10 monthly reading fee IF WE EVER GET A BILL.

Instead of changing out a friend’s meter for a smart meter (it was scheduled) DTE lineman ran up the pole and disconnected their service (watched by two neighbors, one neighbor questioned them) and then was told “Oops. It is going to be 3 days for us to come out to reconnect. We are sorry!” When is someone in the state of Michigan going to stand up to this bully. At least 30,000 people (I was told this by a DTE rep) so it is probably triple are not getting their bills. No one in government will stand up to them so they pretty much do what they damn well please. I would pay double to change to another provider if I had the choice but I don't!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

I'm writing this review to warn anyone that may be in the same situation as I was yesterday. Just to clarify the issue I had was cleared up after talking to several different (rude) employees and being on the phone for a total of 3 hours. Yesterday at 9 am my power was shut off. I received an email a couple days ago stating my bill was due yesterday (no indication that it would be shut off ) so I of course called to see what I could do.

My check had bounced a couple weeks before. I had thought they would send a letter or shut off notice saying my services would be shut off (my mistake). I was behind 106.19$. I had to wait until my husband got home from work to pay it since I had no money on me. I talked to 4 different people and apparently a "supervisor". 5 people had told me 5 different amounts I had to pay in order to get my power back on. No not just the 106.19 plus a 20$ reconnect fee (which is what I owed). They told me I had to pay a security deposit of 600$ (which could be paid in 5 days) plus 140$ today. I got off the phone and waited until my husband got back with the money (3 hrs later).

Now this is where I realized DTE is a bunch of crooks. I called back with the card in hand ready to pay what I had to pay. I got a hold of someone. She never told me her name or even gave the usual line for line script they use. I told her I spoke to a supervisor earlier and told I had to pay 170 now 600 later. This women... I honestly have no polite words to use. She was the most rude person I have ever come across. Told me I HAD to pay 800$ today, I asked how this "security" deposit works, how they come up with how much I owe and so on. No answer. Just said it's how the system works. (Mind you she was chatting with her buddies while I was on the line. Obviously didn't care at all about my not having power. I know it's not her fault but it's her job to try and get me the right department.)

I asked her several times if I could speak to her boss. She flat out told me no. I was crying. And begging to speak to someone else since I was told one thing and now it's completely different. She told me there was nothing she could do. Fed up and feeling defeated my husband decided to call. He got ahold of someone who was polite and actually willing to look into the account further. After talking to the big boss... Him being on hold for a total of an hr the big boss finally told him "well looks like the security deposit is actually wrong and you only owe your past due" (106.19 plus 20$ reconnect fee). Which is what it should have been all along.

What I hope others do is if you feel like they are charging you wrong... Treating you unfairly speak up. There are laws in Michigan about security deposits for DTE. Read up on the laws. If it weren't for my husband and his smarts I would have been up a creek. Unfortunately we only have DTE for power around here. If there was any other company I would be running their way. Watch your bill and make sure you don't take any of their rude employee's crap.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

In April 2017 DTE updated their billing system and we were told they were reassigning us to a new account number. Our first bill was for only $4.00 (May) and the next was for $11.60 (June). There wasn't a bill for July at all. I called to find out what was going on and was told "Well I don't know - call back Friday and maybe it will be fixed". I waited until Monday to call back and first was told that we were a new customer and to wait for the first reading. I explained that "no" we were not a new customer - there was pause and then I was asked to take a reading and this should clear up the problem. The next bill came and was only $11.60, so I called again. I was told that there was approximately 30,000 customers with the same problem and not to worry about the bill. Not worry??? The customer service rep told me they would send someone out to read the meter and check it for problems.

I called again 10 days later and was told that they had been out and it was being processed. When I asked if we were still on autopay I was told she couldn't answer that right now and that the department I needed to speak closed at 4pm. Ummm... Their hours are until 5pm (at least according to their bills). I then decided to try and set up an online account to no avail - I still can't do it. I need to verify my e-mail address and their system never sends a verification.

Several days ago I received my bill (finally). It was actually multiple bills and all stated they were overdue but the due date was at the end of the month. After checking the outrageous bill, I noticed that there were charges that looked like they were same amounts added twice. I called and was told that "no" they were not. The amounts were from the overdue bills that we had not paid. The bill doesn't say that and oh yeah - you haven't sent us a actual bill since April. Oh no, I was told that couldn't be correct. Really??? So, I requested all the "overdue" bills. Which means she had to put in a support ticket and that it would take a while to receive them. I then went on their website and filed a complaint with the company. They have yet to respond and I seriously doubt they will. I am watching my bank account closely because I worry that the way they sent the bills (both with the same due date) that they will withdraw double what is owed.

I am also taking pictures of my meter to track their reading from here on out. It is outrageous the way they are handling this. They could have at least sent out information that there was a problem and they were working on it. I also didn't appreciate being spoken to rudely and being treated as if I was incapable of understanding what was being said.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

DTE is scheduled to shut my power off on August 14 because I have refused the installation of DTE's smart meter. We have no choice under this monopoly! The meters make me very ill, whether the transmitter is on or off. DTE admits there's no difference in functionality between the analog (clock-dial) meter and the radio-off smart meter, but they still insist on ruining my health, giving me heart palpitations, unremitting insomnia, and vision problems. I will be approximately the 90th person they have shut off for refusing a smart meter! These bullies are spending customer money shutting people off who don't need to be shut off!

Original review: July 24, 2017

Every single time I have called DTE, they have been extremely rude to me. They cannot answer questions politely or thoroughly. In addition to that, they charge absurd amounts and cannot logically back up WHY the bills are so high. 1/5 stars.

Resolution response: Aug. 5, 2017

Not so much resolved as I am being forced to do what they want. I was contacted by DTE through email, and told that their system showed the amount was still owed, but if I could send them bank statements(from almost 3 years, and 2 moves, ago) showing the payment was made that they would do something. I paid the bill with my employment pay card I had at the time, which I no longer have, and did not receive statements on. Long story short, I was told to be able to start service at my new place, I have to pay the bill AGAIN, so my PAID $214 bill has now become $428. Not impressed with this company at all, if I had a choice I would not have them as a utility provider ever again.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I had gas service with DTE Energy in 2014. When I moved out I paid my final bill ($214) and closed my account. DTE reported to the credit bureaus that this account was closed and paid, with a $0 balance. Since then, I have had collection agencies add to my credit report that I owe $214 with DTE Energy as the original creditor. I have sent each collection agency proof that it was reported as closed and paid with a $0 balance, and they remove it from my credit report. The next time I look, it's on my credit report again, with a different collection agency. Send them proof, they remove it, and we repeat the cycle.

I called DTE today and was told that it was not paid and that they don't report anything. I told them it was in fact paid, that I have proof DTE reported it as paid to the credit bureaus, and it needs to be taken care of as I am moving to a new home in September that has DTE for gas service and I need to be able to start service there. Was finally told to email the proof that it was reported paid, which I did. Currently waiting for someone to get back to me about it.

Original review: July 13, 2017

Actually, I came across this website as I was searching (again) for some sort of "correspondence" address for DTE!! And the reason I need that? So I can finally send them copies of their own ridiculous statements/bills/overdue payment notices that they have sent me since they "overhauled & updated their systems and thus, had to assign everyone new account numbers" in April. These notices (the 1st of which was a past due notice but with a due date that we hadn't even reached yet!) have been sent continuously via email, text and USPS and as recent as today.

Every amount due is completely different even though it has the same due date! Some have stated that I am a whole payment behind ($226 x 2 due); yet when I make my 1 monthly payment of $226 on the due date, via the DTE app... the next screen states that I am current, up to date, nothing more due until the usual monthly due date! I have been taking screenshots the entire time and printing every email/text/statement sent and still choose to receive my monthly statement via USPS for a hard copy.

As I said earlier, there is absolutely zero information available on their app/website or even by internet search engines, for their consumers to correspond with them in writing!!! How convenient for them that we, their own paying clients, "just have to settle for our 1 choice and call"... and risk being cut-off or unable to prove anything they say and/or refer to it later, even if you can record the conversation! And here I am! At least I found this site and was shocked when I started reading the other complaints about DTE and exactly the same as my own issues! I am relieved in a way (sorry) to know it's not just my account being so messed up and at this point... Getting close to being illegally subjected to intimidating and completely incorrect late notices & payment overdue dollar amounts owed harassment.

Original review: July 12, 2017

Rains. The power goes out. Gust of wind. Bye bye power. Thunderstorm yep. Power nope. Little breeze. OMG get the candles. Worst part is my neighbors across the street always have power. "They are on a different grid". Well maybe they should take all that money they scam off of me and my family and fix the stupid grid we are on. Like I mean we have lived in this house for 14 years you would think our grid would be updated by now right. July 11th is today's date and there is a little rain and wind in Dearborn Heights, Michigan and guess what. The power is out again. It seems like DTE needs to hire new people and start some drug testing because I think everyone that works for this crap company are high and can't do their jobs right.

Original review: July 5, 2017

I had asked for a DTE account creation starting 1st April, which they didn't do. Instead they sent a bill from 5th April to 5th May to my housing society and I was made to pay that. Once they got around to do the account creation they again sent a bill starting 1st April to 5th June and 24th May to 5 June. Now if I call them they are not able to explain this whole thing to me. Extremely messy people. Tired of calling them again and again to get an answer.

Original review: June 17, 2017

Power has been acting like a brown out... Only 1 plug will work in the WHOLE HOUSE is working. It's been out for 24 hours. They said it would be back on today. Still nothing. No estimate time today when it's going to be on... Whole fridge all food bad now. Kind of sad. I have not seen any DTE trucks nowhere around. Nada.

Original review: June 15, 2017

Called on the 5th to schedule having power cut to a piece of property that I just purchased so we could do a demolition to a building on the property. Was told they would be out on the 19th to complete this, they gave me a order number (which I did misplace) and told me they would call with further information. It is now the 15th and I have heard nothing from them so I called and got a woman who was EXTREMELY RUDE. Gave me major attitude about misplacing my order number and said "well I could look it up if you had the original order number that we gave you" when I asked if she could look up the information by the address. Then came back and told me that it said that I called on the 5th and scheduled new service. I told her that that was 100% not correct and again she got an attitude with me about not having my order number.

I called back and told them that I wanted the number to a supervisor, they gave me a number but of course I got a voicemail and have not received a callback. All I need is the power cut to the property so that someone doesn't get electrocuted when we tear this building down. I guess DTE really doesn't care. Unfortunately, it seems like they think that because you don't have an option to go to another company they can just treat you however they want. If employees behaved like this with any other company they would be out of a job, as they should be. What total crap service! WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED.

Original review: June 15, 2017

I posted a complaint and review of Santanna Energy Service on 5-16-17 regarding what I understood at that time due to misleading information I received from DTE Energy (Detroit, Mich.) in connection with an excessively high natural gas bill. The previous bill, due on 5-25-17 was somewhat in the 'normal' range for service period of 3-8-17 to 4-6-17 and still having the winter temperatures to consider. I didn't realize that there was no bill received from DTE during the month of April, or any having an April 2017 due date. I simply registered the payment due by 5-25-17, and set the bill aside to pay in time to allow the check to arrive in Cincinnati, Ohio before that date.

However, on or about 5-18-17 I received a second bill, with no mention of the previous amount due, but the second bill for the service period of 4-7-17 thru 5-6-17 was for the amount of $278.27 and was marked as due by 6-01-17. Payment for the first bill in the amount of $161.36 was not yet mailed as it was not due until 5-25-17, and suddenly I have a second bill for an unexplained high amount, due 6 days later. I immediately contacted DTE and spoke to customer service representative who instantly focused on the fact that I had contracted with Santanna Energy as my gas supplier, and stated that Santanna is the reason for the high fees. She denied that DTE had any control of the service fees that, "Santanna electronically adds to the bill".

I then called Santanna Energy in response to the information I received from the DTE rep. Customer service at Santana insisted that even though my contract was expired, Dec. 2016, Santanna is still supplying natural gas on my account, at a higher price per CCF, since the price cap expired with the contract. Santanna is presently charging customers $0.52710 but NO service fee is included; in fact, the representative advised me that the service fees shown on my statement are not placed on the bill by Santana, even though they are itemized in the area listing the Santana charges. He stated that DTE must be entering that amount on the bill which is generated and mailed to their customers by DTE.

Several phone calls resulted over the following two weeks in an attempt to determine the origin of the charges, with both DTE and Santana denying any connection with the elevated charges, billing a total of $439.63 for two months of natural gas service, including all the taxes, surcharges, etc., etc. I have talked to numerous DTE customer service representatives, explaining the problem in detail, and again with their supervisors when it's determined that the customer service rep is unable to locate, confirm, or comprehend the problem. To date, DTE has not confirmed that any problem exists with their service or their billing procedures.

Note: even after my contract with Santana expired and the price cap removed, the non-contract price of $0.5271 for 106 CCF of natural gas is only about $21.00 higher than DTE at a price of $0.3270/CCF, and is a minor impact on the total price I was charged by DTE. I'm preparing to contact some higher authorities, Mich. Pubic Service Comm., Mich. Dept. of the Attorney General, Better Business Bureau, and/or Channels 8 Wood, Channel 13 WZZM, and Fox Channel 35, each of whom have investigating reporters who strive to spotlight the actions of businesses who would take advantage of customers if the situation allows.

Even though the complaint with DTE is not yet resolved, I paid the total bill which was due on 6-01-17 for $278.27, finding that in the process of "Upgrading their system", their billing dept. was apparently put offline temporarily probably making their invoice mailed later than normal, which resulted in a second bill, which they conveniently added to the first bill, along with all the incidental fees and taxes, and simply failed to make any note or statement to customers to disregard the first bill, and just pay the second. I wonder if that was an accident, or if I had paid the first bill and then the second, automatically, would I get a refund. Maybe not! Incidentally, I own a condo which I have used as a rental, and use DTE as my gas service.

Ironically, the same problem is now happening with DTE and my condo gas bill; I received one bill on about 6-02-17 for an amount which is due 6-28-17. On 6-10-17, I received a second bill for the same condo, almost double the first amount and due on 6-30-17, with a warning that my previous bill is PAST DUE! Interesting; I wonder if they will charge me the 2% late fee if I pay it before both due dates.

I have recently file a detailed complaint with MPSC regarding my numerous contacts with DTE, with the latest contact with customer service rep being disconnected while attempting to transfer me to a supervisor. They have all of my information, phone numbers, email and even my SS#, but I have not received a return call in any attempt to re-connect and resolve the problem.

Original review: June 13, 2017

My power I thought was out on June 1st, I call report outage lady calls back twice "check circuit breaker" done... still no power, said between 6:00 - 6:30 restoration. I call at 7:30 "I'm sorry but you've been reported, found theft and power line was cut at the pole. You'll have to contact our theft department TOMORROW when they open." Who cares 3 kids including a 10 month old! A absolutely wonderful and professional DTE worker came out, asked what was issues, explained, he said he'll take a look if any theft evidence. He cannot restore or reroute wiring, NOT a problem. Please check. Absolutely NO EVIDENCE OF THEFT OR THE STATEMENT OF "I HAVE NO METER" smart reader intact and not one thing wrong with it. I let DTE know the next morning that their "investigators" who came supposedly found evidence of theft were absolutely wrong!!!

The lady has the nerve to ask "why am I calling?!" Probably because your company and the jerks who cut my electricity were wrong and so were the 3 other people who stated I have no meter on my home then because I have empty boxes. Grey EMPTY. NO WIRES ANYWHERE on side of home that I was getting electricity from there! Which is it I have a meter and stealing electricity or I have "their property" that's hooked to nothing and has been that way for the 2 years I've lived here!!! Every reading is ACTUAL NOT ESTIMATED.

Call today because I requested a supervisor and investigators come out show me where the PROOF WAS TO CUT MY LINE WITH 3 KIDS AND ALLEGEDLY STEALING ELECTRICITY. 5 different times DTE has cancelled not notifying me but in computer system to "reschedule". I watched the van today sit for 10 minutes outside my fence and I go outside to speak to him, takes off. Call DTE "He rescheduled" WHY??? And how is it ok to say "Yes you stole electricity". Guilty cut my main line, lie, say I have no meter. No you do, this is all ridiculous and I thought theft had to be found guilty of not assume by a looney neighbor who made anonymous call? So my fault I wasn't guilty of theft yet suffered from it.

Bought generator because it was a Friday weekend and had no idea when electricity would be turned on! Grateful for the DTE worker who stayed 'til almost midnight to reconnect. Maybe because I live in the city of Detroit I'm "assumed guilty of theft". SMH. Not ONE supervisor in THEFT department has returned my call since June 2nd! Not right for DTE to assume, must be found guilty, law enforcement does not even have the right to "assume, guess" but find evidence. Not jump to believing a anonymous caller! I'm glad I recorded some of the mixed up stories the theft dept has told and the rudeness.

Original review: June 9, 2017

DTE are some serious scam artists and should be ashamed of themselves! Customer service is absolutely horrible and you can't get them to understand you after waiting on hold for 30 min. Your bill is never correct and charges appear like crazy.

Original review: June 9, 2017

Got put on the shut off protection plan and called to make sure of the date payment is due. I was told I was taken off the plan for non payment and we under investigation for so many account numbers at this address. We have one account and told the lady exactly when we made the payments and how much they were. I have to now go to the bank and get proof of payments and either mail it or fax it to them.

In the meantime while we are under investigation they will then decide if we can get back on the shut off protection plan. This is on them and their goof up. Where is our 418 dollars we sent them in payments and why did it not go on our account and why is there so many account numbers for our home!!! It sounds like they screwed this up really bad but do not want to take any blame but put it on us. I want to know what is DTE is going to do to repair this whole issue and make things right for us for all the extra things we have to do because they are at fault, not us!!!

Original review: May 27, 2017

On February 14, 2017, I canceled my Home Protection Service at which time, Nina the customer representatives tried to offer me a $100 credit to stay, I was given 10 days to decide to stay on or cancel. On February 24, 2017, I called back and cancelled the service with Keith. But I was concerned about what would happen about the bill, so I called back and spoke to Nicole. At this time she told me that this would go into effect and it would show up on my March 15, 2017 bill, but because they bill one month in advance I would have one last payment. When I received my March bill it had the charge on it. So on March 3, 2017 I paid the Home Protection Service and regular bill and I spoke with Carol about the problem with the Home Protection Service problem.

Then on March 17, 2017, I made another payment and called to verify that the bill was correct at which time I spoke to Sarah. After being in contact with DTE on March 23, 2017, I spoke to Kierra about the Home Protection program problem, I was told that it would have to be taken care of by Upper Management. Each time I contacted DTE, I am told that Upper Management would be in contact with me. I have not been contacted by that department as of May 26, 2017. On April 4, 2017, I called DTE once again about the problem and spoke to Tiffany and still nothing was resolved. Tiffany stated that I owed two months of Home Protection Service, although I cancelled it in February 2017, when asked how that was possible, she couldn't explain. Again I was told that Upper Management would have to get back with me.

On April 12, 2017, I paid my bill, which reflected an amount that included a Home Protection Service payment and my regular payment. I was surprised that this was on my bill, but I paid it. So from February 2017 until April 2017; I made three payments to the Home Protection Service that I cancelled. Now when I called on April 28, 2017 to question why they say that I owe them, no one could give me an explanation. So when I asked Sarah who answered the phone "why" the charge of $72.71 is on my bill she says "it is because you are behind two payments!" When I told her that the information is incorrect, she becomes rude and hangs up on me. So I call back and Lori answers the phone and apologies and tells me that she will have the matter sent to Upper Management. So on May 5, 2017, I call and speak to Brittany who once again tells me that the matter will be referred to Upper Management.

So as of May 26, 2017 I call and I speak to another Sara, who tells me that according to the notes the charges are correct and it will not be put on my credit. But when I tell her that she needs to review the account from February 2017, her story changes and she says I will have Upper Management review it. I told her that I was tired of being told that and what needs to happen is they need to do is just credit my account for the money they say I owe. At this time she hang up on me. I then call back and spoke to Thaimra. Thaimra then research the account and said that I was given a credit in April 2017 to stay with the program.

When asked why I would receive a credit after the cancellation of an account two later, she couldn't explain. She then told me that the account would have to be sent to the Program Management Department. DTE Home Protection Service is basically just a department filled with incompetent individuals that are not able to do a job. It is apparent that I was over charged for three months and it needs to be removed from my bill, instead of just doing that, they are sending me through all this unnecessary stressful drama.

Original review: May 15, 2017

I have two new accounts with DTE, one in perfect standing and one on a newly purchased investment property. My original account did not receive a bill in April as was normal. After 3 phone calls made and being told the bill would be there the next day or two I received a competent call center employee who informed me that a system update they did in April was causing chaos with many, many, bills not generating as usual. I was instructed to just keep an eye on the mail as they had no ETA for sorting it out. I gave them two weeks before I resumed my calls and again was told next day by a few employees before reaching someone competent who again said no ETA was available on their screw ups, keep an eye on the mail.

Today, Sunday mind you so they're call center and chat support are both closed, I get a notice my account is over a month past due replete with threats of termination and late fees. Are you ** kidding me. At least dozen recorded calls on my end, and I get this. If I could switch to a competitor I would in a heartbeat, rate be damned. Now, while this ** is going on I close on a foreclosed house in the neighborhood. I naturally call DTE to restore service, pay a 300 dollar fee to have them reconnect the gas, which was disconnected from the main for no apparent reason other than generate income on the house. I know, I spoke with the workers when they were here. I was then informed power would be on in 24 hours. 25 hours later, no power, so I call again, at this point I've got the menu down pat at least, so that saves a few minutes getting to my extended hold period waiting for a rep.

I'm informed that power is scheduled to be restored that day and as the meter is a smart meter, just requires a few keystrokes to turn back on. Awesome! I inquire about whether I need to reschedule the crew I have coming out for work, which I scheduled based on their original estimation and was told no. 49 hours later and my wallet 100 dollars lighter due to the work crew arriving onsite and waiting for 2 hours before I sent them off, I call again. I'm upset at this point and greeted with what I would consider stereo typical low wage attitude. "Sir, your power was not scheduled to be restored until... yesterday." I'm put on an extended hold after which I am promised the meter will be pinged and power restored asap. I again inquire whether I need to reschedule the work crew and clearly state this failure to meet the timeframe I was quoted is costing me money.

Again I'm put on hold and after a few minutes am guaranteed the power will be on that day. 36 hours after that conversation, and another 100 dollars lighter power still isn't on. It's all done in office!!! Turning it on requires little effort, as does not lying to your customers!! Giving this company a monopoly on power in the area has lead to this complete mess. They can screw up, overcharge, outright lie, cost customers hard earned money... and what can we do? I'll be writing my congressman and the State Attorney General as well as utilizing all my personal and business social media accounts to call out this completely inept company and its flagrantly biased practices. I encourage anyone else who is being hit with late charges, termination notices or the like due to their flawed system update to do the same.

Original review: May 2, 2017

I have purchased a new house in Detroit. DTE Restore department have a problem communicating with each other. On 04/18/2017, I called to start my service, the rep told me that in order for my gas to be connected I had to pay $300 and that was paid on the same day. She told me that my gas would be connected Monday 04/24. Yet, the team did not showed up to my house after I took the day off to wait on them.

Monday, after I was tired to wait, I called the department and the lady told me that she did not see a request, and that someone will call me to let me know when they are going to start my service. NOBODY CALLED ME BACK. After a few days I received an e-mail stating that the gas would be connected on 05/03, I called customer service to verify if I need to be there and the lady stated that she could not find the appointment and that someone will call me AGAIN. I AM VERY DISSATISFY AND MAD, as I am losing money every day because of the inconsistency and lack of communication within the team. I called 04/18/2017 and yet my gas has not been restore and customer service is unable to tell me if the request is on the system successfully.

Original review: April 11, 2017

I am experiencing unfair & prejudice treatment that will damage my status. I have found the employees will gave you misleading feedback. They do not treat all customer right, paying or not. They use your phone number & any other information they may found out about you, that has nothing to do with them as me being a customer of DTE ENERGY. That would damage your account including removing your long time history. This is what their employees are doing.

Original review: April 7, 2017

Trying to get an update as I have a powerline down in my yard and have since 7 pm last night. I can't even get into the website as it is down, let alone get an estimated repair time/date. Fireman came to home last night and said they were on their way - NOT. I can't believe that a public utility has a website that goes down constantly.

Original review: March 27, 2017

Power went out on a Wednesday. Was not restored until Monday. When it was restored there were three pipes in the house that burst and all the food was spoiled. I called them a week ago to request a letter be faxed over to my worker so that I could get my food replaced, they say "Sure give me the fax number." I gave them all the information and they said they were going to fax the letter. I call back the next day. They said "Yes we're still going to fax it at the end of this business day." I relayed this information to my worker and she calls me today and said she never received a letter. I call back to DTE and they said they do not send faxes out and that was it this information I was told and I said "But they told me that twice when I call. Why would they say that twice?"

So today she said she's going to mail the letter out and that will be too late because there was only a 10 day grace. File to get replacement so who should be replacing my food? I think DTE owes me $150!!! They purposely lied not once but twice and now they say they have to mail it out when it will be too late. Why did they not mail it out last week. Why can't we pick up important paperwork. The power outage destroyed my home and no one cares. Your only concern is money. I hope if you read this someone lies to you and disregard your needs and concerns and see how it feels when it happens to you because it will. What goes around comes around. DTE are liars and care nothing about customers.

Original review: March 18, 2017

Power out again for extended length of time. This happens many many many... Times per year (and for as many years as I can remember), with DTE offering no responses or rebates for the huge inconvenience. Not to mention the household cost involved with losing power. I'm writing this review because last summer on a sunny blue bird sky day, we had a huge surge that made all kinds of noise. All appliances that were running at the time (TV, dishwasher, laundry dryer, aquarium filters, fan... And on and on) we found burned up after power restored. So I went and replaced all these appliances, and had all the bad ones stacked in the garage for 3 months as I awaited DTE to get back with me on the claim I filled out (which states on claim that they will get back to you in 30 days).

So they finally got back with me after I contacted them several more times. And their response was, after reviewing my claim was... Wait for it... Wait for it... It was storm related and therefore they are not responsible. So in conclusion, if this wasn't a monopoly type market, and customers had other options, I think the service and owning up to their own equipment neglect, would be totally different. $300 dollar per month customers are nothing to DTE. But what if their customer base was cut in half. Then the customer might be a little more valuable to them.

Original review: March 14, 2017

The worst company ever. I'm a single parent of 3. Me and my husband got divorce. DTE don't care. They charge me 400 a month. Too much. I get SSI. I can't even pay for food because these greedy people are too high. I try to talk to them but they won't listen. I'm in a low income plan and still can't pay. Help!!!

Original review: March 9, 2017

Mar 8 high winds but we had power well after the storm. May 9 afternoon cut power to the neighborhood. Guess they thought it wasn't fair we had power when others were out. Either that or the power grid is so poorly designed that in order to restore power to affected areas the dots have to make everyone suffer. A few years back we had a downed LIVE power line. DTE didn't have anyone for TWO DAYS!!!

DTE Energy Company Information