Ann Arbor, MI

2.6/5 (469 ratings)

About DTE Energy

DTE Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DTE Energy?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2023

During this past summer my husband was laid off from his job for a few months. In October when he was back to work our DTE bill had accumulated significantly. I called and asked if we could make payment arrangements to help us catch up. The only plan they offered us required a $1200 down payment due within 24 hours. Being that he just got back to work, we didn't have it, so throughout the months of October and November we paid them a total of $1550 just trying to show good faith and that we had every intention of paying our bill down. The last payment was made Nov 23.

On December 7 they emailed a shutoff notice that I didn't see because I usually receive my bills in the mail. I woke up on December 14 and my electric and gas were turned off just before Christmas. My family including my 1yr old grand baby was in the dark and cold. It took us over a month to reverse this and get services that can help us. During this time, the pipes in the house we're renting burst in multiple places requiring $25,000 in repairs. Our landlord is highly upset and heartbroken, but not because of us, but because DTE didn't have enough heart or even Christmas spirit to NOT put a family in the dark and cold just before Christmas. He said in all the years he's been a landlord he's never known DTE to be this heartless.

At this moment we don't have water or another place to go. I've had DTE service since I was 18 and I'm 41 now and I have never had my services shut off. They even had the audacity to bill me for returning services and require it be paid immediately. I don't know what happened to the DTE company but a lesson in ethics is definitely necessary for the people in charge. My heart goes out to anyone else DTE has done this to. We will survive this ordeal because we have to.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2022

Winter storm with high winds 50 mph and ice and snow and only some outages. DTE services like half the state and only had 23k peps without power. I seen them trimming trees all last summer and replacing poles which really paid off for us consumers. Thank you DTE!!!!

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

Hands down the worst power company in the country!! We've had the same issue with outages for close to two decades. Just keep raises our rates, and not fixing or updating our grid. Power just back on?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2022

I lost 4 days of power & was charged only $7 less on the DTE bill. I have well water so I had to buy water & I lost $70 in spoiled food in addition to all the other unpleasant consequences of lost power & was charged only $7 less on the bill. I'd like the option of another electric company, preferably one that will even remotely compensate me for the extra expenses their inability to provide overpriced power cost me.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

My experience is like most people's experience, horrible! This organization is money hungry, just the people that keep raising their rent prices. I hope all of you are judged by God in the end. It's unfair you all sit on thrones collecting higher and higher fees from people. Now I see why there are a lot of homeless people in the world because afford to pay you scum bags because everything is so unreasonably priced.

People get one life on this planet and most die broke because of companies like yours who are money hungry crooks. My experience with this company has been hell from start to finish. I don't see why mankind has to pay to use something that should be free to everyone, so that people can manage to get ahead one day. You all are crooks!!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2022

For some reason at my location the power will go off and come back on. It made one of my appliances go out. This has happened often and it’s not my electrical wiring in my home. It is DTE. I don’t know what they’re doing. I don’t know what they have been doing but I wish there was somewhere else I could get my business from another electricity company. It’s ridiculous. They never take responsibility for anything. They’re never sorry. They’re always taking forever to get the power back on. You have to keep calling them. They just incompetent to me.

I know weather and things like that happens but Power just does not go off and then come back on. Someone has to be doing something. I don’t get it and I’m tired of it. This has been going off for too long. There’s no reason why my power should cut off and then cut on. You will destroy people‘s appliances by doing that and it's always on a nice with no storms around the area and my power does this. This is not on my home. This is on DTE. Take responsibility for your actions. Stop price gouging. Stop treating your customers like trash. I am so tired of DTE!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

I sat on the phone listening to their stupid hold music for a good 45min being told that a customer service rep would be with me shortly... Never happened because I hung up after 45min of my life was wasted. This is truly and utterly pathetic for a company as large as DTE.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

DTE has to be the worst energy supplier. I'm so sick of getting outages when the wind blows. It's been over 48 hours without power. The updates are absolute garbage. The surrounding neighborhoods have power and not us. Unacceptable.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

46 hours and still no power. Their phone lines have been in and out. The time I have been able to reach someone, they refuse to give any sort of update. Instead of just ranting, I’d like to know more specifically where to send them a bill for any food that has been going bad and needs to be replaced. I’m over this. I’ll be looking into what it takes to get solar power instead of sticking with these money grabbing lazy people.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

Our power has been out now for over 24 hours with no update to speak of and I know there are thousands of people without power still, but do they all have downed wires laying in their yard?? Doubtful. We have downed power lines that were attached to our house that are now laying across my deck and yard, a pole that is leaning at an approximate 40 degree angle causing even more power lines to be damaged in my yard and surrounding neighbors' yards and draping across my roof and garage now. (And yes, I have reported this by calling as well as going on their website 6 different times now.) It seems it would be hard to stay at least 35 feet away from these downed power lines as suggested, considering I seem to be completely surrounded by them. Kudos to DTE for taking people's safety so seriously! I hope for another rate increase soon, seems as though they are so very deserving of it!!

DTE Energy Company Information