Ann Arbor, MI

3.4/5 (52 ratings)

About DTE Energy

DTE Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DTE Energy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about DTE Energy?

Original review: April 9, 2022

I live in Detroit, Michigan 48238. My home is considered a townhouse. I'm currently having issues with flickering lights throughout my house. And DTE is like a permanent fixture in my area. There are crews placing meters outdoors. I had meters located in my basement. A crew came to place meters outside. They did a good job. But crews remain in the area.

This leads me to the issue at hand. I believe my service at my home is constantly interrupted. At least once a month my power goes out at night for a few minutes. Then pops back on. Oh yeah April 1, 2022 (April Fool's Day) the lights went out for a minute then popped back on. It was not only my light but the traffic light at a major intersection. Davison / Ewald Circle near I -96 ramp to be exact. This outages comprise my electronic devices. It's like it's done on purpose. Lastly we keep having issues and outages in the summer. The last 2 summers. The outages last for days. DTE for me now stands for Don't Trust Ever. Kelly B,

Original review: Dec. 12, 2021

I have experienced 3 times in 18 months extended power outages. I have animals that will die without heat lamps. This is ridiculous. My daughter lives 2 blocks from me, she didn't report her outage and "crews are being assigned " I reported at 1248 pm and crews supposedly arrived at 245 pm. I'm disgusted, I pay how much every month to be left without power for days, weeks... Something must be done...

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

Once again, they cut my electric in the wintertime. They are the worst. Just greedy. There are too many people going thru hard times and they don't give 2 **. The minute I have a chance in investing in solar. We need better choices in Detroit.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

I was laying in bed and turned my tv on and I saw that the power was out. Got out the bed. Turned on my bathroom lights. They were off too... I went online to see what areas and within the hour the power was back on!!! Great Job!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

I have had a total of three power providers in my life. DTE is by far the worst. Outages are far too often, there's no communication from them ever, and the service is hilariously overpriced. If I could give zero stars, I would, but alas, I don't have that option. I really don't know how they can say with a straight face that suspended power lines and having to fix them constantly as opposed to buried lines (like the rest of civilization) is the better solution.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

We have electrical service from both DTE and Duke Energy and DTE is waaaay beyond lame. Too many outages for no reason, absolutely no communication from DTE Energy except when they want to sell you something, and total incompetence at resolving even the simplest of issues. Unbelievable. Even a 1 star rating is beyond generous.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

I have not had power In four days and DTE just raised rates mounting to 1.8 Million area to improve power grid which was suppose keep outages to only a day or two. I drive by our mall at 11:00 am to see a dozen repair units in parking lot and guys just hanging out there. I come back that way 2 1/2 hours later they are still sitting there. It’s Poorly managed company.

Original review: June 30, 2021

These people had me sign up for their home improvement company but it's a big scam. Now I am out of thousands of dollars. Because I have been paying them since 2019 and now my hot water tank is going out and they telling me I didn't have that plan. This company is ran by scam artist and I will blog them all over the internet and warn people not to buy this service.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

This is a terrible thing. 154.00 should never be the reason to shut off heat and force someone to try to survive Sub zero temps. In fact it would benefit DTE to wait *at least* two or three months past due (if not longer) because many programs will help pay multiple months of utility bills, but only one time. I lost work due to Covid, am still trying to get new job, and unemployment still hasn't sent benefits for claims filed in May 2020. The point being that it's not like I am partying and am avoiding my bills. Rather, it is more like wishing I could afford basics like tp and toothpaste let alone utilities! When my situation improves, I will replace my fuel with propane or with wood so I never have to support a company like DTE again.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

I was told smart meter will have to be read by them sending someone out and I would have "Service charge" every month for opting out of smart meter...Even though it is still a smart meter. (Smart meters suppose to be at least 40 feet from human and animals) but they won't. I get charged for ESTIMATED use, and still got service charge. I bought newspaper and did picture and video proving the ESTIMATED charges were wrong as they charged for June 12 to July 13 608 kilowatts, when I never flipped the breaker until August 1st! My meter read 18426 for a couple months and I put down 50.00$ to cover each month in order to not hassle with payments of "service charge" and had it covered.

I called DTE, waited for the usual routine of an hour +, and usual routine of transfers. They said they'd send worker out to read my meter and straighten out bill.

They never sent anyone! They sent estimated bill, AGAIN. The meter reading is still lower than their "ESTIMATE" (marked "est." on your bill next to kilowatt number hours used). Also again, service charge for estimate? Wow, and the remainder of the 50.00 I put to cover the alleged service charge again they ate it up with their lies.

I've had enough and I will make sure the world knows about their utility bill scams as it's been going on for years with different utility companies charging estimated usage never used! So folks, Please check your bills and accounts often! ALSO more importantly RECORD ALL BUSINESS PHONE CALLS! As for "TIME STOLEN" for having to dispute their scam, I WILL BE SENDING BILLS TO ALL COMPANIES THAT I AM SCAMMED BY FOR MY TIME! If they don't pay, I will file liens! Either way, I will stand ground against this system. It's not only about money, it's about stealing our TIME!

DTE Energy Company Information