1.17/5
Based on 169 reviews that contain star ratings

Need a utility company?

Ann Arbor, MI

186 DTE Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I contracted for new service for my home and when the first bill came I decided to pay it online. The bill was $113.95. DTE debited my account $11,395.00! This was three weeks ago and I still don't have the refund! I called them and asked them to put the money back into my account. They said that they could not do that and would have to send me a check. This happened on September 24th - it is October 12th and I still have not received a check. I have been on the phone every single day trying to get this taken care of. The first person who answers the phone is so shocked! Then, I get passed to another person who gives me some ** story of why I don't have the check. I called yesterday and they said I would get the check "some time" next week. I asked if I could pick the check up and got "NO".

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

This company does not charge you by how much energy you actually use. They charge by estimations especially when there is a heat wave. They know that people will be using the air conditioners more often so they raise the true amount of your bill because they know you can't prove that you did not use the amount of energy that they claimed you did and they love to use the lie that it was a hot month or few weeks so the amount of your energy usage went up which is a total lie. I monitored my usage when it is extra hot and not I even suffer through the hot days just not to have a high energy bill but I get them any way even when I am not using the air conditioner at all. They get away with cheating people on these guesstimation bills because they have the lies on their side. I will be looking for another company that don't pull these stunts like DTE Energy.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Just a terrible terrible terrible company... I received notice from them today warning me of a shut off and that I owe not only for this month, but the previous one as well... WHICH I PAID JUST OVER A WEEK AGO!!! I am so sick of them. They double charge you for electricity (check your bills!), shut off your electricity when it's a heatwave, and can't be bothered during the weekend. Even BANKS offer better customer support than these jokers. Honestly about to switch providers to those guys that go door to door.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

One star is way too many. After DTE forced us into an easement (under threats taking our land via eminent domain), we entered into a detailed contract. Once the project was done, at least 75 percent of our contract was broken by DTE. We tried during the project to get them to honor the contract but we were just lead on that they would make it right. We will be suing. Oh, by the way, we have photos, emails, video, and audio.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

My family suffered sweltering heat as result of Home Protection Plus® appliance protection support personnel, lack of professional integrity. They did not have to lie and pass me from one phone to another. All they had to do is to call me and say, "We screwed up, Your service is Not going to happen today. We know it is hot, so do not stay home waiting for our service guy. We will provide service next day..." And yes, perhaps some cheap apology and other empty words of sympathy that they offer as regular routine.

DTE Customer account # **. Complain regarding dishonest service provided by Home Protection Plus® appliance protection plan from DTE Energy. I have paid DTE for "Ultimate Protection" for appliances $30.95 Monthly for at least last 8 years. My air conditioner stopped working on 9-2-2018 at 12:23 PM. I called 800.556.0011, Reference # **. Told them that My Lennox Air conditioner has a humming sound and FAN does not start. I was told I will receive service today 9-3-2018 between 8:00 AM & 12:00 Noon. Today 9-3-2018 at 11:30 AM called them again, asked where is technician, I was told to wait until 4:30 PM. Called back at 3:58 PM, I was told appointment has been set for 9-4-2018 by supervisor named Ken, Employee ID **. Refused to provide last name.

Complaints: No one had the decency to call and tell me appointment has been changed to 9-4-2018, even though I called them twice. No one had enough courtesy to tell me not to wait in sweltering heat when service date had changed. Each person I spoke with said something different why the appointment was cancelled and moved to 9-4-2018 between 8:00 AM & 4:30 PM. Why your customer support staff lie and tell different stories and keep offering cheap words of apology which IS NOT accepted. My family has suffered in sweltering heat today all day due to your staff's lies and lack of professional behavior. If your business is run by honest professionals instead of lying and making up excuses, they could have simply said that service will be on 9-4-2018 and I could have taken my family to place with available cooling. You are playing with people’s lives.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DTE Energy?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Second time in two months my power has gone out with no ETA in sight. Last time it took 4 DAYS to come back on. This time it was apparently a little rain that caused the outage. If DTE wasn't a monopoly they'd have to get their thumbs out of their butts or lose my business to another, better company. I only wish I could give them 0 stars instead of 1.

Original review: July 25, 2018

So far (July 24), 3 times since June, with NO adverse weather or temperatures, our 30-home subdivision has suddenly lost power in the middle of the day. There were no "warnings" like flickering lights, at which we RUN to fill our bathtub - so we can flush toilets (we're on a well) and pots so we can wash ourselves and dishes. The recorded DTE message invariably says "cause unknown," and "it will be restored" in some 2 to 4 hours. Just before that time comes around, the estimate is extended by another many hours. This cycle happens at least 3 times before the power eventually comes back on.

We have been without power for 12 hours and more with never ANY explanation. Several small subs and some area single homes around us are out along with us when NO ONE else is, according to their own outage maps - so it's not like DTE's crews are stretched thin. They just don't give a d----. And when it is "fixed," it is obviously fixed poorly and/or with inferior equipment that breaks again! We get no refund. We have to take the family out for meals. Food goes bad in the fridge and freezer. We can't bathe or wash ETC. DTE gets away with it. NO accountability!!! We have no CHOICE in our electric company. This is infuriating!!!

Original review: July 25, 2018

My husband and I have a new build up north and we had the gas line discontinued last Fall and it took over 3 months this summer to get them to finally re-hook up the line. Customer service is TERRIBLE. Something needs to be done.

Original review: July 12, 2018

When my inside air temp climbed to 83F, I paid $80 for a service inspection of my 2 year old high efficiency air conditioning (and heating) unit. Found out the problem was not the unit but an air conditioning service interrupter installed by DTE at the request of the previous owner. Called DTE via its purposeful, electronic gauntlet on 10 JUL to have it removed. Not given the option of a service window, was told that DTE would remove it on 11 JUL 2018 and that I would have to be home so that air conditioning could be wired back into main electric box. At 3:30 PM, with an appointment for 5:30 PM, called DTE to find out where service crew was. After 45 MINUTES of mostly a series of holds, was told they would be out there and THAT I DID NOT HAVE TO BE HOME. Upon returning home, found nothing had been done.

Called at 9:08 on 12 JUL 2018 to ask why it had not been repaired. Went through same electronic gauntlet and was sent to supervisor after I expressed dissatisfaction and doubt about my case being escalated. Supervisor offered to credit my unnecessary airconditioning service call fee to my account and to call me back when she verified that the service had been scheduled. Bottom line, monopoly offers poor service when such service goes against their goals. In this case, they would lose the ability to cut my air conditioning up to 8 hours out of 24 per their guidelines. They are supposed to provide service to the capacity needed. This is just a way to circumvent that. It should also be noted that the sector that I live in routinely loses power when adjacent and nearby areas do not.

Original review: June 24, 2018

DTE Energy is a monopoly and we are being exploited by this company with their increasingly high bills. Looking over the bill they have so many add ons. It is incredible. Why doesn't our Attorney General do something about this? The "distribution" charge on the bill is more than the "supply charge" of which there are two: "capacity charge" and "non capacity charge" whatever that means. Pretty soon no one will be able to afford to turn on a light bulb. And if you are a senior citizen on a fixed income, you are really in trouble. ATTORNEY GENERAL, DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS MONOPOLY! I THOUGHT MONOPOLIES WERE ILLEGAL!

Original review: April 7, 2018

DTE compares (gas) energy usage each month for individual homes to other "similar" homes and deems the 20% of homes whose gas usage is the least as "efficient". I called the 866 796 0512 help number to get more information about the methodology used as my home was shown to be using some 48% more gas than similar homes. When I questioned the approach used for the unoccupied homes in my area, I was informed that the homes that are unoccupied during the winter are not excluded from the calculations. In my condominium complex, some 75% of the units are unoccupied for some part of the winter, some for five full months. Of course this makes the reporting totally misleading, and identifies those homes that are unoccupied as being efficient, and those that are occupied during the winter as being inefficient.

When I pointed this out to the telephone representative, he limited his response to asking if I wanted to continue getting DTE's monthly report for my home. The complaint I was making appears to have gone unregistered. I suggested that DTE could do better than to issue a meaningless, incorrect report at my expense... and no, I no longer wanted their report.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I have spend in excess of 24 hours altogether on the phone with DTE customer care department dealing with mistakes they have made with billing. I pay my bills early every month and always have. I have moved now for the third time in five years and every time I have moved, there is somehow the discovery that they have been putting the payments I have been making on my current addresses onto the address that was previous. How that even happened... Three times now... I don't even know. And how it is I went 24 months, 12 months, and now 4 months into a new place paying bills and they have never noticed that the bills were going onto the wrong account, I do not know either. I am typing this while I am on hold, yet again, with DTE because my online account is now showing that I have a $509 past due amount on my old address and a new bill for my new address of $183.

When I spoke with them in February, for 76 min, they explained to me that I had a $544 credit after they deducted the amount that was improperly allocated from an address that was previous even to my previous address. The representative I am on hold with now is saying that she is unable to access a couple of bills from this year that were archived... So she is looking further into it to see what is going on with my account... Again. It has been 38 min and 37seconds so far. I feel that we need more choices in Michigan for electric service because, if I had the choice, I would certainly have left DTE!! Unprofessional.

Original review: March 7, 2018

We have attempted to update our automatic payment (credit card expiration date) and found that the DTE website would not allow us to do so. When we contacted the customer service department we were shuffled to several other departments only to be told that we had to contact someone else. Each new contact referral required that we wait for an extended period during which we were forced to listen to many many many obnoxious advertisements. DTE has a monopoly and, in our minds, abuse their customers.

Original review: March 2, 2018

We have never, ever had an issue with DTE, surprisingly, I have never heard a bad word about this company. DTE, is a good community partner, always working to improve the lives of its customers.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

This company is the absolute worst. They have let people freeze to death in the past, and they will shut off your services no matter your financial stance. I understand the need to pay your bills, but if nothing in the home changes, yet each month your bill goes up $50, $100, even $150, they have no remorse and can only give you excuses, and you must pay what they tell you, no matter how many lights you turn off or how many degrees you go down. If your normal bill is $120 and this month it's $355, but nothing changed in your home, that's it, pay up or live in the dark. Terrible. If there were just one other electric company to give them a run for their money, they would lower their ridiculous price hikes for fear of losing business.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Their customer service is fantastic, and DTE has a plan to help people who can’t afford their bills so they don’t get their services shut off; i.e. people aren’t going without heat in the middle of winter. Their app is so easy to use, and payments I make online are usually withdrawn the same or next day. DTE is the easiest company to work with that I pay bills to each month, and I’m shocked by these reviews. I’d hate to move somewhere where I’d have to use anyone else.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

After perusing the reviews here and elsewhere, I have to say the only relief I feel is that DTE’s response (or lack thereof) to my issue is not personal. They screw everyone. Won’t go into all the details but… My mom passed two years ago and had a credit of 200+ on her bill. Since I was the “legal” executor of her estate, I forwarded (per DTE’s request) the documentation required to have my mom's balance transferred to my own account. I figured this should be no problem since DTE is not losing a dime. Wrong!

Here I am two months and some days later to be told a check with the balance was forwarded to my address some time ago. I have two words… BULL CRAP! Now of course they have to “investigate” and no one knows how long that will be. SMH. But it’s no surprise. Consider this: the culture of DTE is one of greed and apathy. A monopolizing entity that would rather allow folks to freeze to their deaths, than lose any money providing energy in cost effective ways. So what do you really expect from such a culture? In reality, they weren’t losing anything with my request to move the balance over, but I guess when you have a practice of underhandedness you’ll still deem it necessary to look a gift horse in the mouth. Fret not though. Like everything else, DTE will one day be brought to its knees by some innovative Einstein and do what Uber and Lyft has done for the cab companies.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I have been having so many problems with DTE. Bills changed and charges escalated. I have made numerous attempts to resolve the issue and now it's going on 4 months. Did some research. I will be contacting the Michigan Public Service Commission (MPSC) staff for help and possibly filing a formal complaint process.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

DTE billing has to have the worst billing department I have ever encountered. They make the cable company look like rainbows and unicorns. My bill has been incorrect since June 2017. Suddenly I started receiving bills around $200/mo. I have a 900 sq/ft apartment. My bills up until then, the previous 5 years I have lived at this residence, had been anywhere from $75-90. When I called to question the bills - of course no one could tell me why. I gave up after months of trying and just kept paying the balances. I didn't want to risk shut off, since DTE couldn't figure their stuff out...

Fast forward to August and I log in online and I have a shut off notice. The notice says to pay $5 to avoid shut off. $5. Of course I am confused, but I went ahead and paid the $5. The next day I logged back in to make sure everything was copacetic and imagine my surprise when I saw another shut off notice asking me to pay $5. I called DTE again to resolve this issue. The agent on the phone could not explain why I was being asked to pay $5, since my account was current. Nor could she explain why I continued to receive this message. She advised me to pay the $5 AGAIN, 'just in case'. I did. I continued to receive this same message 4 times. Then it went away. I never saw the $30 I paid from these notifications applied to any balance/credit on my account.

Color me surprised in September when suddenly, I don't have a bill. I log in, and my balance is $0. My usage had magically dropped to $95. October, I suddenly have a bill due for $105. November - no bill due. December - no bill due. Now I have received a notification saying I am enrolled in their budget plan and to pay $167/mo. My usage averages $90. No one at DTE can explain any of this to me. I can only surmise that I am somehow paying someone else's bill. Of course no one at DTE can fix or resolve anything; and you HAVE to pay the balance or your services are shut off. How is this choice?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I have been calling regarding increasing charges and inaccurate readings for three months now. I am part of an income group that struggles check to check already. Now, on top of that I have to be robbed & feel very much violated by a company I am forced to use for my utility services. It's one thing to pay what I owe for services used but it's quite a different beasts to have to pay for something you know you don't owe and you have nowhere else to go. Where's the help for people like me from companies like this? Where's the protection for consumers?? What is going on in this world that this is allowed? How much money do they need to take from the little guy to feel big.?! You Big!!! You win!!! Now may I please just start paying what I owe from now on? I would appreciate that... Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

DTE has sent my account to collections. I am not going into specifics as to how it got there, needless to say it was not completely accurate. After 6 years in collections, they wrote it off, so it should have soon been deleted from my credit history. However just before it was deleted from my credit history, they sold it to a new collection service, which in turn started the 7 year on credit history process over. And somehow, they tracked down a home phone number of my father, where I just happen to be staying temporarily, a number I have never given to anyone, ever. And called me wanting me to verify who I am with address and last 4 of social. Never have I ever dealt with a company like this. I feel as though I am being watched.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I don't even know what to say - worst billing system in the world. They just sent me a new bill for the month of October - services that were previously billed and paid. Where's the consumer protection agency? The public shouldn't have to deal with this level of incompetence.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Let me speak some dirty word first: "** DTE Energy billing apartment and DTE energy customer service". My case is straightforward: DTE energy put my neighbor's address billing ON me. I called the customer service (CS) and they agreed to remove the erroneous. After 1 month, nothing has been changed. I called again, the CS said it would take three months to remove that erroneous. After another 2 months, DTE billing department sent my case to a third party debt collection company meaning they still thought I should pay the error bill. I responded immediately to the third party company and DTE energy. This time they asked me to provide my lease agreement to ensure I am living in the right address, which they never asked in the first two calls. I did and asked DTE energy confirmation of the resolution of my case, but I never got.

Recently I found my case was passed to TransUnion, a personal credit collection company. NOW I CAN SEE UNPAID BILL FOR THIS CASE ON MY CREDIT HISTORY. This is horrible experience with DTE energy: They messed up my account. I called them four times and tried to resolve the issue from 4 months ago. They kept doing the wrong thing and sending my case to third party company. The customer service (CS) always can promise something or just put some action plan on the case note. But most of actions never really happened. The CS is like the secretary who keeps recording the meeting minutes, but never cared if the customer problem is really resolved. Because of their fault, I need to clear the bad record on my credit history. Is this the service quality of American Fortune 500 Company?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

DTE switched my account to ebilling without my knowledge or consent. When they sent a bill to my email it promptly went to my junk mail without my awareness. I then missed that month's bill payment. When I found the ebill I promptly called DTE to end the ebilling service, and reinstate my paper billing, which they said they would do. I made sure to ask if I would receive the next bill in time for on time payment. They said yes. This was on December 3rd. By December 14th still no bill. I called them again and they said they had stopped my ebill but hadn't sent out a paper bill. When I asked why they said they didn't know and weren't sure why the last representative hadn't done what she said. Truly pathetic.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Every single time they are in our area for anything they use our driveway as a staging area, we have asked them to park somewhere else, not in our drive and they have promised to do that. Every time they leave ruts, they leave a mess, they drive in the field and leave huge muddy ruts, they have run over small trees we have planted in the field, they have come within inches of backing their trucks into our horse fence. Now they have a company tree trimming in the area.

They are taking down more trees on the property (if you live out there you also know how many the county took down this summer for their road project...). We had a tree part way up our drive under the wires, but still 5-7ft below the wires that they asked about and we said we did NOT want it taken down, the guy said they would leave it alone. Bob got home a while ago and they were in the process of taking it down, branches everywhere... And they had all their trucks in our driveway again... Muddy mess now.

My husband posted this on FB: Well, I'm not sure if DTE employees are just totally incompetent, or just dishonest, unprincipled jerks who enjoy messing with people. DTE has crews in Ingham County removing trees. On December 8, 2017, a DTE agent came to my door and asked if I would mind walking the power lines with him to agree which trees needed to be removed, which needed to be trimmed and which could be left alone. The agent identified 14 trees which needed to be trimmed or removed, I agree with all of them. We also agreed that one specific tree was not to be touched. Each tree was clearly marked with either an X for removal or a straight line for trimming. He assured me at least 4 times that they would not touch a single tree that was not marked.

I got home today to discover that by DTE's own admission they had removed 20 trees, and when I arrived were destroying the tree they had agreed not to touch. I checked the crew on it and was told "we cut whatever we feel like it, if it was marked or not, we decide on the spot." Obviously I am very upset, not only was I deliberately lied to, but am I out 6 mature Black Walnut Trees, and I now live on a lot that looks like it belongs in downtown Detroit, not rural Ingham County. I called their customer service office and was told "OOOPPPS". Equally obvious is the fact that DTE is completely void of corporate integrity or principles. If any of you are forced to do business with them I would urge utmost caution, based on my experience, even a written agreement is totally worthless.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Back in July I applied to start new electric service at my new residence. This simple request turned into a nightmare. While speaking to the representative I specifically asked if someone would call ahead of time since I work about 15 minutes away from home. She reassured me that someone would call me 30 minutes before their arrival.

Well on the day of my appointment I received a call from the technician stating that he is at my house and that no one was there. I explained to him that no one was there because this call should have been alerting me that he was on his way to my home. I then let him know that my brother lived around the corner and that he’d be there in 10 minutes. The tech agreed to wait the 10 minutes. 5 minutes later I receive a call from my brother telling me that no one was there. I called the tech back and he told me he canceled my appointment and that I’d have to reschedule.

This is where the nightmare begins. I call DTE customer service explaining the situation and stayed on hold with them for over 4 hours while they “tried” to rectify the situation. Ultimately the rep ended up telling me that she had me on a priority appointment for the next day. I took off work the next day and waited there all day. Around 5 pm I called to get an update which is when they explained that a priority appointment can occur at anytime before midnight. I was also informed that no one would have to be there.

Moving along to day 3... I call DTE on my way to work to verify that my electric service was turned on and I was told that the work order was completed so all I would need to do is switch the breaker on. Well when I went home to switch the breaker on... nothing happened. Curious I walked around the house to notice that NO METER WAS INSTALLED!

At this point I’m furious. I call DTE again and this time the rep had me on hold for 3 hours. When she finally came back to phone she apologized to me and let me know that everyone that I had spoken to about this ordeal had given me misinformation. She let me know that she can get the service started but the first appointment was more than a week away. So due to the fact that I have no choice but to wait... I decided not to go off the deep end. Ultimately the power was turned on and I only lost 2 weeks of my life trying to get it accomplished.

Now... the gas needs to be connected and even though I have electric service I now have to prove my identity and wait 2 business days for them to verify who I am. The only way to do that is to email my Drivers License and Social Security Card to them. I have to email these items because DTE does not have any locations in the city so that I could just stop by and deal with a person face to face. I really don’t understand why this company loves to inconvenience people so much.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Starting a new service on two different properties: The first time around, the representative put the wrong phone number on the correct address. We had to call twice to get this fixed. Since I did not receive a bill in the mail yet for one of the properties, I did not have a new account number for the rep to look up. After over twenty "frustrating" minutes later, the rep still could not pull up any account on one of the new accounts using the correct address of the service, saying "It doesn't exist..." even though we received a bill from DTE for that particular address! The rep would constantly talk over me, not listen, ramble about nothing - and finally hung up on me. The rep was unable to look up a new account number by the address. She went in circles with me. She had a very "huffy", "annoyed", "don't want to bother doing this" attitude with me. It was unbelievably frustrating. Wasn't even worth the aggravation.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

In 2014; Attorney General Bill Schuette went after AmeriGas and Ferrellgas. The settlements are made public http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,4534,7-164-17337---,00.html. I too have been dealing with DTE since April 2017 with the "billing change". Every month I speak to the supervisor... even the supervisor's supervisor with a promise they have corrected the problem. Assigned 3 different account numbers for one resident. If we all file written complaints; it will cause an investigation. You should be able to cut and paste to their complaint form. Good luck... I have a lot to copy to them also.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

For the amount of people DTE covers in the southeast area of Michigan, they do an extremely poor job of customer service and power service as well. We so much have a small thunderstorm and we will be without power for a full day. When calling to report an outage there have been times when we've had to call several times due to the fact that the people on the other end simply did not finish the service report.

Management can't even call you back when you put in a request to speak to them several times! Our area has underground power lines as well. We came from Florida with hurricanes, tropical storms and daily thunderstorms and NEVER lost power. If the issue is so bad, why aren't they upgrading their system? Not to mention everytime we lose power, our bill goes up... so many issues I could just keep going. Stay away from DTE Energy.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

DTE shut off my power today because I had a lock on my meter. I called them at the # they left, was hold and unable to get anyone till right when their office was closing. My power is still not on, it will not come on till they put in their "dumb" meter. It is not worth it to fight. We tried. Big business will always win. I won't have power till they install their radio active meter, who knows when. I thought monopolies were unconstitutional, apparently not in MI.

DTE Energy Company Information