1.37/5

Ann Arbor, MI

Last updated: April 7, 2018

176 DTE Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 7, 2018

DTE compares (gas) energy usage each month for individual homes to other "similar" homes and deems the 20% of homes whose gas usage is the least as "efficient". I called the 866 796 0512 help number to get more information about the methodology used as my home was shown to be using some 48% more gas than similar homes. When I questioned the approach used for the unoccupied homes in my area, I was informed that the homes that are unoccupied during the winter are not excluded from the calculations. In my condominium complex, some 75% of the units are unoccupied for some part of the winter, some for five full months. Of course this makes the reporting totally misleading, and identifies those homes that are unoccupied as being efficient, and those that are occupied during the winter as being inefficient.

When I pointed this out to the telephone representative, he limited his response to asking if I wanted to continue getting DTE's monthly report for my home. The complaint I was making appears to have gone unregistered. I suggested that DTE could do better than to issue a meaningless, incorrect report at my expense... and no, I no longer wanted their report.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I have spend in excess of 24 hours altogether on the phone with DTE customer care department dealing with mistakes they have made with billing. I pay my bills early every month and always have. I have moved now for the third time in five years and every time I have moved, there is somehow the discovery that they have been putting the payments I have been making on my current addresses onto the address that was previous. How that even happened... Three times now... I don't even know. And how it is I went 24 months, 12 months, and now 4 months into a new place paying bills and they have never noticed that the bills were going onto the wrong account, I do not know either. I am typing this while I am on hold, yet again, with DTE because my online account is now showing that I have a $509 past due amount on my old address and a new bill for my new address of $183.

When I spoke with them in February, for 76 min, they explained to me that I had a $544 credit after they deducted the amount that was improperly allocated from an address that was previous even to my previous address. The representative I am on hold with now is saying that she is unable to access a couple of bills from this year that were archived... So she is looking further into it to see what is going on with my account... Again. It has been 38 min and 37seconds so far. I feel that we need more choices in Michigan for electric service because, if I had the choice, I would certainly have left DTE!! Unprofessional.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: March 7, 2018

We have attempted to update our automatic payment (credit card expiration date) and found that the DTE website would not allow us to do so. When we contacted the customer service department we were shuffled to several other departments only to be told that we had to contact someone else. Each new contact referral required that we wait for an extended period during which we were forced to listen to many many many obnoxious advertisements. DTE has a monopoly and, in our minds, abuse their customers.

Original review: March 2, 2018

We have never, ever had an issue with DTE, surprisingly, I have never heard a bad word about this company. DTE, is a good community partner, always working to improve the lives of its customers.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

This company is the absolute worst. They have let people freeze to death in the past, and they will shut off your services no matter your financial stance. I understand the need to pay your bills, but if nothing in the home changes, yet each month your bill goes up $50, $100, even $150, they have no remorse and can only give you excuses, and you must pay what they tell you, no matter how many lights you turn off or how many degrees you go down. If your normal bill is $120 and this month it's $355, but nothing changed in your home, that's it, pay up or live in the dark. Terrible. If there were just one other electric company to give them a run for their money, they would lower their ridiculous price hikes for fear of losing business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DTE Energy?

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Their customer service is fantastic, and DTE has a plan to help people who can’t afford their bills so they don’t get their services shut off; i.e. people aren’t going without heat in the middle of winter. Their app is so easy to use, and payments I make online are usually withdrawn the same or next day. DTE is the easiest company to work with that I pay bills to each month, and I’m shocked by these reviews. I’d hate to move somewhere where I’d have to use anyone else.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

After perusing the reviews here and elsewhere, I have to say the only relief I feel is that DTE’s response (or lack thereof) to my issue is not personal. They screw everyone. Won’t go into all the details but… My mom passed two years ago and had a credit of 200+ on her bill. Since I was the “legal” executor of her estate, I forwarded (per DTE’s request) the documentation required to have my mom's balance transferred to my own account. I figured this should be no problem since DTE is not losing a dime. Wrong!

Here I am two months and some days later to be told a check with the balance was forwarded to my address some time ago. I have two words… BULL CRAP! Now of course they have to “investigate” and no one knows how long that will be. SMH. But it’s no surprise. Consider this: the culture of DTE is one of greed and apathy. A monopolizing entity that would rather allow folks to freeze to their deaths, than lose any money providing energy in cost effective ways. So what do you really expect from such a culture? In reality, they weren’t losing anything with my request to move the balance over, but I guess when you have a practice of underhandedness you’ll still deem it necessary to look a gift horse in the mouth. Fret not though. Like everything else, DTE will one day be brought to its knees by some innovative Einstein and do what Uber and Lyft has done for the cab companies.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I have been having so many problems with DTE. Bills changed and charges escalated. I have made numerous attempts to resolve the issue and now it's going on 4 months. Did some research. I will be contacting the Michigan Public Service Commission (MPSC) staff for help and possibly filing a formal complaint process.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

DTE billing has to have the worst billing department I have ever encountered. They make the cable company look like rainbows and unicorns. My bill has been incorrect since June 2017. Suddenly I started receiving bills around $200/mo. I have a 900 sq/ft apartment. My bills up until then, the previous 5 years I have lived at this residence, had been anywhere from $75-90. When I called to question the bills - of course no one could tell me why. I gave up after months of trying and just kept paying the balances. I didn't want to risk shut off, since DTE couldn't figure their stuff out...

Fast forward to August and I log in online and I have a shut off notice. The notice says to pay $5 to avoid shut off. $5. Of course I am confused, but I went ahead and paid the $5. The next day I logged back in to make sure everything was copacetic and imagine my surprise when I saw another shut off notice asking me to pay $5. I called DTE again to resolve this issue. The agent on the phone could not explain why I was being asked to pay $5, since my account was current. Nor could she explain why I continued to receive this message. She advised me to pay the $5 AGAIN, 'just in case'. I did. I continued to receive this same message 4 times. Then it went away. I never saw the $30 I paid from these notifications applied to any balance/credit on my account.

Color me surprised in September when suddenly, I don't have a bill. I log in, and my balance is $0. My usage had magically dropped to $95. October, I suddenly have a bill due for $105. November - no bill due. December - no bill due. Now I have received a notification saying I am enrolled in their budget plan and to pay $167/mo. My usage averages $90. No one at DTE can explain any of this to me. I can only surmise that I am somehow paying someone else's bill. Of course no one at DTE can fix or resolve anything; and you HAVE to pay the balance or your services are shut off. How is this choice?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I have been calling regarding increasing charges and inaccurate readings for three months now. I am part of an income group that struggles check to check already. Now, on top of that I have to be robbed & feel very much violated by a company I am forced to use for my utility services. It's one thing to pay what I owe for services used but it's quite a different beasts to have to pay for something you know you don't owe and you have nowhere else to go. Where's the help for people like me from companies like this? Where's the protection for consumers?? What is going on in this world that this is allowed? How much money do they need to take from the little guy to feel big.?! You Big!!! You win!!! Now may I please just start paying what I owe from now on? I would appreciate that... Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

DTE has sent my account to collections. I am not going into specifics as to how it got there, needless to say it was not completely accurate. After 6 years in collections, they wrote it off, so it should have soon been deleted from my credit history. However just before it was deleted from my credit history, they sold it to a new collection service, which in turn started the 7 year on credit history process over. And somehow, they tracked down a home phone number of my father, where I just happen to be staying temporarily, a number I have never given to anyone, ever. And called me wanting me to verify who I am with address and last 4 of social. Never have I ever dealt with a company like this. I feel as though I am being watched.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I don't even know what to say - worst billing system in the world. They just sent me a new bill for the month of October - services that were previously billed and paid. Where's the consumer protection agency? The public shouldn't have to deal with this level of incompetence.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Let me speak some dirty word first: "** DTE Energy billing apartment and DTE energy customer service". My case is straightforward: DTE energy put my neighbor's address billing ON me. I called the customer service (CS) and they agreed to remove the erroneous. After 1 month, nothing has been changed. I called again, the CS said it would take three months to remove that erroneous. After another 2 months, DTE billing department sent my case to a third party debt collection company meaning they still thought I should pay the error bill. I responded immediately to the third party company and DTE energy. This time they asked me to provide my lease agreement to ensure I am living in the right address, which they never asked in the first two calls. I did and asked DTE energy confirmation of the resolution of my case, but I never got.

Recently I found my case was passed to TransUnion, a personal credit collection company. NOW I CAN SEE UNPAID BILL FOR THIS CASE ON MY CREDIT HISTORY. This is horrible experience with DTE energy: They messed up my account. I called them four times and tried to resolve the issue from 4 months ago. They kept doing the wrong thing and sending my case to third party company. The customer service (CS) always can promise something or just put some action plan on the case note. But most of actions never really happened. The CS is like the secretary who keeps recording the meeting minutes, but never cared if the customer problem is really resolved. Because of their fault, I need to clear the bad record on my credit history. Is this the service quality of American Fortune 500 Company?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

DTE switched my account to ebilling without my knowledge or consent. When they sent a bill to my email it promptly went to my junk mail without my awareness. I then missed that month's bill payment. When I found the ebill I promptly called DTE to end the ebilling service, and reinstate my paper billing, which they said they would do. I made sure to ask if I would receive the next bill in time for on time payment. They said yes. This was on December 3rd. By December 14th still no bill. I called them again and they said they had stopped my ebill but hadn't sent out a paper bill. When I asked why they said they didn't know and weren't sure why the last representative hadn't done what she said. Truly pathetic.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Every single time they are in our area for anything they use our driveway as a staging area, we have asked them to park somewhere else, not in our drive and they have promised to do that. Every time they leave ruts, they leave a mess, they drive in the field and leave huge muddy ruts, they have run over small trees we have planted in the field, they have come within inches of backing their trucks into our horse fence. Now they have a company tree trimming in the area.

They are taking down more trees on the property (if you live out there you also know how many the county took down this summer for their road project...). We had a tree part way up our drive under the wires, but still 5-7ft below the wires that they asked about and we said we did NOT want it taken down, the guy said they would leave it alone. Bob got home a while ago and they were in the process of taking it down, branches everywhere... And they had all their trucks in our driveway again... Muddy mess now.

My husband posted this on FB: Well, I'm not sure if DTE employees are just totally incompetent, or just dishonest, unprincipled jerks who enjoy messing with people. DTE has crews in Ingham County removing trees. On December 8, 2017, a DTE agent came to my door and asked if I would mind walking the power lines with him to agree which trees needed to be removed, which needed to be trimmed and which could be left alone. The agent identified 14 trees which needed to be trimmed or removed, I agree with all of them. We also agreed that one specific tree was not to be touched. Each tree was clearly marked with either an X for removal or a straight line for trimming. He assured me at least 4 times that they would not touch a single tree that was not marked.

I got home today to discover that by DTE's own admission they had removed 20 trees, and when I arrived were destroying the tree they had agreed not to touch. I checked the crew on it and was told "we cut whatever we feel like it, if it was marked or not, we decide on the spot." Obviously I am very upset, not only was I deliberately lied to, but am I out 6 mature Black Walnut Trees, and I now live on a lot that looks like it belongs in downtown Detroit, not rural Ingham County. I called their customer service office and was told "OOOPPPS". Equally obvious is the fact that DTE is completely void of corporate integrity or principles. If any of you are forced to do business with them I would urge utmost caution, based on my experience, even a written agreement is totally worthless.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Back in July I applied to start new electric service at my new residence. This simple request turned into a nightmare. While speaking to the representative I specifically asked if someone would call ahead of time since I work about 15 minutes away from home. She reassured me that someone would call me 30 minutes before their arrival.

Well on the day of my appointment I received a call from the technician stating that he is at my house and that no one was there. I explained to him that no one was there because this call should have been alerting me that he was on his way to my home. I then let him know that my brother lived around the corner and that he’d be there in 10 minutes. The tech agreed to wait the 10 minutes. 5 minutes later I receive a call from my brother telling me that no one was there. I called the tech back and he told me he canceled my appointment and that I’d have to reschedule.

This is where the nightmare begins. I call DTE customer service explaining the situation and stayed on hold with them for over 4 hours while they “tried” to rectify the situation. Ultimately the rep ended up telling me that she had me on a priority appointment for the next day. I took off work the next day and waited there all day. Around 5 pm I called to get an update which is when they explained that a priority appointment can occur at anytime before midnight. I was also informed that no one would have to be there.

Moving along to day 3... I call DTE on my way to work to verify that my electric service was turned on and I was told that the work order was completed so all I would need to do is switch the breaker on. Well when I went home to switch the breaker on... nothing happened. Curious I walked around the house to notice that NO METER WAS INSTALLED!

At this point I’m furious. I call DTE again and this time the rep had me on hold for 3 hours. When she finally came back to phone she apologized to me and let me know that everyone that I had spoken to about this ordeal had given me misinformation. She let me know that she can get the service started but the first appointment was more than a week away. So due to the fact that I have no choice but to wait... I decided not to go off the deep end. Ultimately the power was turned on and I only lost 2 weeks of my life trying to get it accomplished.

Now... the gas needs to be connected and even though I have electric service I now have to prove my identity and wait 2 business days for them to verify who I am. The only way to do that is to email my Drivers License and Social Security Card to them. I have to email these items because DTE does not have any locations in the city so that I could just stop by and deal with a person face to face. I really don’t understand why this company loves to inconvenience people so much.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Starting a new service on two different properties: The first time around, the representative put the wrong phone number on the correct address. We had to call twice to get this fixed. Since I did not receive a bill in the mail yet for one of the properties, I did not have a new account number for the rep to look up. After over twenty "frustrating" minutes later, the rep still could not pull up any account on one of the new accounts using the correct address of the service, saying "It doesn't exist..." even though we received a bill from DTE for that particular address! The rep would constantly talk over me, not listen, ramble about nothing - and finally hung up on me. The rep was unable to look up a new account number by the address. She went in circles with me. She had a very "huffy", "annoyed", "don't want to bother doing this" attitude with me. It was unbelievably frustrating. Wasn't even worth the aggravation.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

In 2014; Attorney General Bill Schuette went after AmeriGas and Ferrellgas. The settlements are made public http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,4534,7-164-17337---,00.html. I too have been dealing with DTE since April 2017 with the "billing change". Every month I speak to the supervisor... even the supervisor's supervisor with a promise they have corrected the problem. Assigned 3 different account numbers for one resident. If we all file written complaints; it will cause an investigation. You should be able to cut and paste to their complaint form. Good luck... I have a lot to copy to them also.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

For the amount of people DTE covers in the southeast area of Michigan, they do an extremely poor job of customer service and power service as well. We so much have a small thunderstorm and we will be without power for a full day. When calling to report an outage there have been times when we've had to call several times due to the fact that the people on the other end simply did not finish the service report.

Management can't even call you back when you put in a request to speak to them several times! Our area has underground power lines as well. We came from Florida with hurricanes, tropical storms and daily thunderstorms and NEVER lost power. If the issue is so bad, why aren't they upgrading their system? Not to mention everytime we lose power, our bill goes up... so many issues I could just keep going. Stay away from DTE Energy.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

DTE shut off my power today because I had a lock on my meter. I called them at the # they left, was hold and unable to get anyone till right when their office was closing. My power is still not on, it will not come on till they put in their "dumb" meter. It is not worth it to fight. We tried. Big business will always win. I won't have power till they install their radio active meter, who knows when. I thought monopolies were unconstitutional, apparently not in MI.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

My electric service had this old rusty lock that had probably been there for years. They show up one morning a whole crew of people and stick a note on my door and cut my service, they say it's because of a lock on my service box. I told them "can you wait 5 mins." I grab my bolt cutters from the garage and remove the lock, they told me they cannot wait that a picture of the lock was taken and they will cut the service even if I remove the lock that I shouldn't worry they will be back same day with a smart meter and restore the service.

Well I'm still without power 5 days later but thank God for the shiny new smart meter that's measuring NOTHING. That's right they installed the god damn meter they needed so desperately but still HAVE NOT restored my power so they got what they wanted but have still left me in the dark, destroyed all my food and forced us to deal with some nights that were below 50 because they could feel empowered and be bullies. My bill is current and was before this fiasco began. This company needs to be dissolved.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I don't see it fair for the people who choose to live in Michigan to only have DTE as their only choice. Since they have forced me to switch over to the new system/meter last year my bills are outrageous! We work all day long 6 days a week and are gone more than home. We have not run our air at all this year trying to save money cause last year we paid them over 2400 bucks and what do you know as much or higher than last year.

I call and get very rude people and get nowhere. "I'm sorry." When I ask if someone can come out and check the meter and do an actual reading I expect it to be done. Not "I'm sorry." This is an actual reading. I said "So someone came to my home and looked at it?" She tells me "No it's electronic." Well then it's not actual then is it. She was very rude and didn't seem to care at all. Told me that there's nothing she can do about it. Are you kidding me. I asked to speak to supervisor and got disconnected. 2 hours on the phone again and it happens again. This alone makes me want to leave Michigan. I have lived all over the states and this by far is the worst state. Makes me ill stressing over my Bill every month. I just want someone to explain to me why my bills are so darn high since the new meters.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

DTE is the only energy company in my area, so unfortunately, I have to deal with them. I have NEVER in my life dealt with a company that’s so unforgiving, and uncaring when it comes to billing. I get it, I need to pay my bill on time, but I’m human, and I’m juggling 30 other monthly payments. I have to figure out which check can cover which. I get NOTHING from them in the mail, yet they have my correct address on file and say they send letters all the time. I have never gotten a shut of notice, payment reminder, etc. I get ONE email telling me my bill amount and when it’s due. We were on a “budget” program, which also prevent shut off in case of late payment, missed payment, etc. The rules of the program changed suddenly without notice, and without my knowledge, we were removed from the program. I wake up, power is off. I assume the power went out. Nope, neighbors outside with Electric tools going.

Call DTE and they tell me I have a past due bill of almost $2000, and the whole amount needs to be paid PLUS late fees PLUS reconnection fees for sending crews out. (I have the DIGITAL meter, NOBODY has to come out to turn it off or on, they do it from the phone on their computers!) They literally would not change a thing. I pleaded and pleaded to pay half today, and the other half in literally THREE days when I got paid, they will not budge. I finally scrape up the past due amount (mind you, this has been more than once, it doesn’t matter if you owed $200 or $2000, they are not there to help or give a damn if your family freezes or melts to death) and she says “Okay it can be 15 minutes to 2 hours for it to come back on.” (Though it gets turned off IMMEDIATELY) Hours go by. Nothing. I call again and after being transferred 10 times, they finally found out they forgot to note my account to be reconnected.

THANKS **! So again I wait about an hour. In the past it had taken 5-6 minutes. Call again and they said “Oh yeah it should be on by now. Well there’s an issue somewhere so we’re gonna have to send a truck out, they’ll be out Wednesday.” (It was Monday afternoon...) I hung up. Called AGAIN, complained AGAIN, and the lady said there was never any action taken to turn it back on, and she has got it on within 4 minutes of being on the phone. I am now going to pay my bill, which says it’s due immediately to prevent shut off (had to wait till payday) and all it tells me is to download their app. I try, there’s no option to pay. I go back online and it says “Sorry we cannot accept your payment, click here to chat or call us”. Chat is offline. They are closed. It’s 9pm. This company is complete and utter garbage.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

We are made to use DTE as our electric provider because in Michigan they are a monopoly and do everything in their power to make sure that no one else is allowed to give consumers a choice. If I could give than less than one star I would. We have not received an electric bill for months. We were made to put a supposedly "smart meter" on our home and since then we have received no bills. Have spent hours and hours and so many phone calls and we get a different song and dance each time. They actually told us once you are not getting a bill since we cannot remotely get a reading. Well of course you can't idiots because we have a non transmitting smart meter and your meter reader is still coming out each month and you charged us $67 fee for putting a non transmitting meter on and a $10 monthly reading fee IF WE EVER GET A BILL.

Instead of changing out a friend’s meter for a smart meter (it was scheduled) DTE lineman ran up the pole and disconnected their service (watched by two neighbors, one neighbor questioned them) and then was told “Oops. It is going to be 3 days for us to come out to reconnect. We are sorry!” When is someone in the state of Michigan going to stand up to this bully. At least 30,000 people (I was told this by a DTE rep) so it is probably triple are not getting their bills. No one in government will stand up to them so they pretty much do what they damn well please. I would pay double to change to another provider if I had the choice but I don't!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

I'm writing this review to warn anyone that may be in the same situation as I was yesterday. Just to clarify the issue I had was cleared up after talking to several different (rude) employees and being on the phone for a total of 3 hours. Yesterday at 9 am my power was shut off. I received an email a couple days ago stating my bill was due yesterday (no indication that it would be shut off ) so I of course called to see what I could do.

My check had bounced a couple weeks before. I had thought they would send a letter or shut off notice saying my services would be shut off (my mistake). I was behind 106.19$. I had to wait until my husband got home from work to pay it since I had no money on me. I talked to 4 different people and apparently a "supervisor". 5 people had told me 5 different amounts I had to pay in order to get my power back on. No not just the 106.19 plus a 20$ reconnect fee (which is what I owed). They told me I had to pay a security deposit of 600$ (which could be paid in 5 days) plus 140$ today. I got off the phone and waited until my husband got back with the money (3 hrs later).

Now this is where I realized DTE is a bunch of crooks. I called back with the card in hand ready to pay what I had to pay. I got a hold of someone. She never told me her name or even gave the usual line for line script they use. I told her I spoke to a supervisor earlier and told I had to pay 170 now 600 later. This women... I honestly have no polite words to use. She was the most rude person I have ever come across. Told me I HAD to pay 800$ today, I asked how this "security" deposit works, how they come up with how much I owe and so on. No answer. Just said it's how the system works. (Mind you she was chatting with her buddies while I was on the line. Obviously didn't care at all about my not having power. I know it's not her fault but it's her job to try and get me the right department.)

I asked her several times if I could speak to her boss. She flat out told me no. I was crying. And begging to speak to someone else since I was told one thing and now it's completely different. She told me there was nothing she could do. Fed up and feeling defeated my husband decided to call. He got ahold of someone who was polite and actually willing to look into the account further. After talking to the big boss... Him being on hold for a total of an hr the big boss finally told him "well looks like the security deposit is actually wrong and you only owe your past due" (106.19 plus 20$ reconnect fee). Which is what it should have been all along.

What I hope others do is if you feel like they are charging you wrong... Treating you unfairly speak up. There are laws in Michigan about security deposits for DTE. Read up on the laws. If it weren't for my husband and his smarts I would have been up a creek. Unfortunately we only have DTE for power around here. If there was any other company I would be running their way. Watch your bill and make sure you don't take any of their rude employee's crap.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

In April 2017 DTE updated their billing system and we were told they were reassigning us to a new account number. Our first bill was for only $4.00 (May) and the next was for $11.60 (June). There wasn't a bill for July at all. I called to find out what was going on and was told "Well I don't know - call back Friday and maybe it will be fixed". I waited until Monday to call back and first was told that we were a new customer and to wait for the first reading. I explained that "no" we were not a new customer - there was pause and then I was asked to take a reading and this should clear up the problem. The next bill came and was only $11.60, so I called again. I was told that there was approximately 30,000 customers with the same problem and not to worry about the bill. Not worry??? The customer service rep told me they would send someone out to read the meter and check it for problems.

I called again 10 days later and was told that they had been out and it was being processed. When I asked if we were still on autopay I was told she couldn't answer that right now and that the department I needed to speak closed at 4pm. Ummm... Their hours are until 5pm (at least according to their bills). I then decided to try and set up an online account to no avail - I still can't do it. I need to verify my e-mail address and their system never sends a verification.

Several days ago I received my bill (finally). It was actually multiple bills and all stated they were overdue but the due date was at the end of the month. After checking the outrageous bill, I noticed that there were charges that looked like they were same amounts added twice. I called and was told that "no" they were not. The amounts were from the overdue bills that we had not paid. The bill doesn't say that and oh yeah - you haven't sent us a actual bill since April. Oh no, I was told that couldn't be correct. Really??? So, I requested all the "overdue" bills. Which means she had to put in a support ticket and that it would take a while to receive them. I then went on their website and filed a complaint with the company. They have yet to respond and I seriously doubt they will. I am watching my bank account closely because I worry that the way they sent the bills (both with the same due date) that they will withdraw double what is owed.

I am also taking pictures of my meter to track their reading from here on out. It is outrageous the way they are handling this. They could have at least sent out information that there was a problem and they were working on it. I also didn't appreciate being spoken to rudely and being treated as if I was incapable of understanding what was being said.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

DTE is scheduled to shut my power off on August 14 because I have refused the installation of DTE's smart meter. We have no choice under this monopoly! The meters make me very ill, whether the transmitter is on or off. DTE admits there's no difference in functionality between the analog (clock-dial) meter and the radio-off smart meter, but they still insist on ruining my health, giving me heart palpitations, unremitting insomnia, and vision problems. I will be approximately the 90th person they have shut off for refusing a smart meter! These bullies are spending customer money shutting people off who don't need to be shut off!

Original review: July 24, 2017

Every single time I have called DTE, they have been extremely rude to me. They cannot answer questions politely or thoroughly. In addition to that, they charge absurd amounts and cannot logically back up WHY the bills are so high. 1/5 stars.

Resolution response: Aug. 5, 2017

Not so much resolved as I am being forced to do what they want. I was contacted by DTE through email, and told that their system showed the amount was still owed, but if I could send them bank statements(from almost 3 years, and 2 moves, ago) showing the payment was made that they would do something. I paid the bill with my employment pay card I had at the time, which I no longer have, and did not receive statements on. Long story short, I was told to be able to start service at my new place, I have to pay the bill AGAIN, so my PAID $214 bill has now become $428. Not impressed with this company at all, if I had a choice I would not have them as a utility provider ever again.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I had gas service with DTE Energy in 2014. When I moved out I paid my final bill ($214) and closed my account. DTE reported to the credit bureaus that this account was closed and paid, with a $0 balance. Since then, I have had collection agencies add to my credit report that I owe $214 with DTE Energy as the original creditor. I have sent each collection agency proof that it was reported as closed and paid with a $0 balance, and they remove it from my credit report. The next time I look, it's on my credit report again, with a different collection agency. Send them proof, they remove it, and we repeat the cycle.

I called DTE today and was told that it was not paid and that they don't report anything. I told them it was in fact paid, that I have proof DTE reported it as paid to the credit bureaus, and it needs to be taken care of as I am moving to a new home in September that has DTE for gas service and I need to be able to start service there. Was finally told to email the proof that it was reported paid, which I did. Currently waiting for someone to get back to me about it.

Original review: July 13, 2017

Actually, I came across this website as I was searching (again) for some sort of "correspondence" address for DTE!! And the reason I need that? So I can finally send them copies of their own ridiculous statements/bills/overdue payment notices that they have sent me since they "overhauled & updated their systems and thus, had to assign everyone new account numbers" in April. These notices (the 1st of which was a past due notice but with a due date that we hadn't even reached yet!) have been sent continuously via email, text and USPS and as recent as today.

Every amount due is completely different even though it has the same due date! Some have stated that I am a whole payment behind ($226 x 2 due); yet when I make my 1 monthly payment of $226 on the due date, via the DTE app... the next screen states that I am current, up to date, nothing more due until the usual monthly due date! I have been taking screenshots the entire time and printing every email/text/statement sent and still choose to receive my monthly statement via USPS for a hard copy.

As I said earlier, there is absolutely zero information available on their app/website or even by internet search engines, for their consumers to correspond with them in writing!!! How convenient for them that we, their own paying clients, "just have to settle for our 1 choice and call"... and risk being cut-off or unable to prove anything they say and/or refer to it later, even if you can record the conversation! And here I am! At least I found this site and was shocked when I started reading the other complaints about DTE and exactly the same as my own issues! I am relieved in a way (sorry) to know it's not just my account being so messed up and at this point... Getting close to being illegally subjected to intimidating and completely incorrect late notices & payment overdue dollar amounts owed harassment.

DTE Energy Company Information