2. Homeowners

Ann Arbor, MI

3.9/5 (246 ratings)

About DTE Energy

DTE Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DTE Energy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about DTE Energy?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

Was having Over $500 a month electric bills, I didn't know how or why it climbed so high. It didn't take long to fall behind... Spoke with a lot of people about my situation. Started off with a twenty one day extension, I called on the nineteenth day to let them know I had some emergency expenses (car broke down) wouldn't be able to pay till fifteen day's past the twenty one day's. Was told to call back five day's after the twenty one day period was up and I can get another ten day extension witch will put me at the fifteen day mark.

The person I talked to APPARENTLY LIED to me. My electric was turned off on the fifth day when she told me to call for the extended ten day. I called and told my story. Was told the person I talked to documented that she told me to call the first day after my first extension (STRAIGHT UP LIE). Also was always telling them that there is three people living at this address that use durable medical equipment and need the power back on NOW. It was like talking to someone that was my enemy.

A few year's ago I fell behind on my electric bill and woke up gasping for air... my C-PAP machine turned off when they cut my power, the sad part is, it was only 29 day's since I restored power and thought I was good to go. I called then... Had two reconnect fees and two security deposits within one month.??? Sick of typing... DTE ENERGY needs to have the Better Business Bureau take a look of how shabby they do business. There's so much more to say like how they tried taking a payment twice from me that I DIDN'T AUTHORISE and so much more!!!!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

I never received any shut off notices. No phone, calls, no letters in the mail stating shut off was imminent, was forced to pay no less than full balance on account. No payment plans were “available” which is BS. They’re better off saying “thank you for calling Detroit Trifling Extortionists. How may we screw you?” When they answer the phone. Scum.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

Apparently, according to a phone call, no accurate readings have been done on my house for the past two years. AT LEAST. I've only been living here for 7 months. DTE clearly has no idea how much energy I used versus the previous owner, and doesn't care. I now have a bill for $1,280 whereas all previous bills were never over $160, which makes it impossible to plan my household finances. They have a monopoly in my area, making it literally impossible to purchase anywhere else.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

Cant afford this. At least I can tell my kids I bought them more electricity for Christmas, because thats all I can get them. I work way too hard for the outcome. I guess the new American dream is section 8 and welfare.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

We are being harassed by DTE for false and fraudulent charges. Over 3 months after our gas account was closed and paid in full, we had an unauthorized charge to our bank of nearly $8,000. Yes, $8,000!! We immediately reported this as fraud and told DTE of the huge mistake they had made. Over a year later, we are now being contacted again for payment, and they have sent us to collections for their false and fraudulent charges. We will be reporting DTE to MPSC and seeking legal action against them if necessary.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I had my power shut off Sept. 10th 2019. My account has been paid in full all year. I have no outstanding balance at all. I had 1 bill for $310 due August 15th 2019. I was out of the country for work for 3 1/2 weeks. I tried to pay the bill before I left and once a week while I was gone through DTE's website. Every time the site said "Payment could not be processed at this time, please try again later or call us." I was in a very different time zone working 100hrs a week so calling wasn't a good option. I figured I'd deal with it when I got back, but they shut my power off with no notice before I returned. They never tried to call me or email me, they never left a notice on my door. DTE sent 2 paper notices out through the mail in plain white paper envelopes, that was the extent of them trying to contact me before they shut off my power.

I have livestock, dogs, sensitive medicine in my freezer, 80-100lbs of meat in my other freezer, etc. I'm on a well so I have no water when I don't have power. I still can't believe they shut off my power for 1 bill being 25 days late, absolutely ludicrous. This is not the first problem I've had with them either. When I moved to DTE's coverage area I tried to get commercial service set up with a new account and new power lines ran. It took DTE a full year to figure it out before they would supply my new business location with power. Worst utility I have ever dealt with.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

Serious. This company is using smart meters to fleece their customers. They can dial up cost during high use, dial it down during low use, and fleece people. The first month after I opt-out of smart meter my bill dropped 35%. Coincidence? Hardly, I have 3 years of comparative data to prove this. Do your self a favor, opt-out of the smart meter. Less radiation for your family, better sleep, and best of all, lower bills! Don't let DTE take you for a ride.

Original review: July 30, 2019

After what I've been through this past week with DTE, I wholeheartedly agree that DTE Energy sucks! From DTE not taking me seriously; losing reports; closing out reports; misinformation; miscommunication; the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing; creating chaos; condescending supervisors/techs; being told they cannot help me because I filed a MPSC complaint; having to repeat the same thing over and over again; having to call every day and sometimes twice a day; etc. Terrible, just terrible. They should be thanking me for identifying the high voltage problem before it caused serious harm!

Original review: July 24, 2019

I spent 25+ years in North Carolina with Duke Energy and Carolina Power & Light/Progress. I lived for several years in Massachusetts using Mass Electric. I've been in Michigan now for 17+ years with DTE, and they are the most unreliable I've experienced. I've been through hurricanes and severe heat waves down South where the power didn't go out or was back on ASAP. I've been in New England ice and blizzards in Massachusetts where the power maybe when out once.

But here in Michigan, one little round of severe thunderstorms and wind, a semi-heavy ice storm, or a mild heat wave brings down the lines and overwhelms the grid leaving people without power for several days and even longer. I've never seen anything like it. Old power lines still abound that are allowed to dip low swinging in the wind or that run underneath heavy trees and foliage. I've had so many surges, brownouts, and outages in my newer sub with lines actually buried that I had to buy a backup generator to my generator AND a full-house surge protector. The state of the utilities here are as bad as the state of their barely maintained roads. Again, I've never seen anything like it.

Original review: June 23, 2019

I recently had some issues with pay due to my husband being active in the military. I was notified by DTE that I would get a shut off notice if I didn’t pay my past due balance PLUS a $340 security deposit!! What?!? Then I find out the reason is because my payment was returned. Even though I set the payment up to hit on my payday, they apparently try to take it at midnight! Keep in mind, direct deposits usually don’t hit until 8am. I’m sure they know this, so of course they get a returned NSF payment, then go ahead and lump a Sec Dep on top of it.

After arguing with a representative for over an hour (and being disconnected 3 times), they finally agreed to reverse one of the $170 charges. I started making cash payments to catch up. I finally got my balance in order when I got another bill with a $510 security deposit!!! I have been making cash payments and no returned funds since my last correspondence with them since the end of May. They now tell me that the cash I had been paying didn’t go to any of my usage, just deposits, so now if I don’t pay over $409 in 2 weeks I get shut off.... Thanks guys.

DTE Energy Company Information