1.18/5

Need a utility company?

Ann Arbor, MI

Need a utility company?

209 DTE Energy Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 3, 2019

I moved to a new small place. My bills were so high. I complained many times. The employee on the phone are doing their best to kill your time and any effort to reach a real sol. My son called LARA, they changed the way they talk to me. Now they become more respectful, but they didn't solve the problem. The only tech who really came to check the gas meter came on 03/29/19 and he found that I was charged for my Neighbor meter and not for my actual meter and he said I suppose to receive a credit as my Neighbors usage is too high. Ironically Sunday the 31 of March 19 I received email from DTE with a new charge of 150$$. I called today 04/03/19 to complain, again the lady on the phone is experienced of how to play with the words and really kill the time. I think I have no choice except to call LARA again, and I hope they can help me to have credit for all this wrong billing.

Original review: March 22, 2019

There are two people who have ripped me off. Marvin ** and Mike **. I enrolled in the home protection coverage and approximately 6 months later ran into a problem with my boiler. I called the home protection department and was told that they would send a technician out to my house. The man showed up and said "sorry, I don't work on boilers" so called home protection back and they sent out another technician and I explained that I needed someone who is experienced with boilers. The next technician that showed up said, "I am not experienced with boilers but this appears to be a propane issue. You need to call your propane company and have them come out."

I called my propane company and they came out. The propane company checked everything but said this never was a propane issue and you need to get DTE back out here. Your furnace is fluting due to a part issue. I called DTE back and Mr. ** said he would speak to Mr. ** since my propane company charged me $196 to check everything. Mr. ** stated that Mr. ** authorized a refund for me if I sent them the propane bill. I sent a copy of the propane bill in on 28 December 2018. I still have not received a refund and Mr. ** and Mr. ** will not return any of my calls. I am going to proceed with legal actions and reimbursement for an attorney if I am not credited back. Today is 22 March 2019.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Rec'd a bill in Jan for 2 months, realized that we had not rec'd a Dec bill so I immediately called on 1/18/19. Spoke to Amber who stated that it seems they didn't send a December bill. Sent a check on 1/18 for $149.80 to cover Dec and Jan. On 2/25/19 spoke to Chanteel and supv, Jasmine as no bill since 1/18/19. Was on the phone >45 mins with no help and now on March 4 there still is no bill for February. Chanteel said the meter was last read on 2/11/19 and that I should speak to the postal service. I did this and there have been no known problems and this bill is the only mail that we have not received. I don't know how to resolve this and get back to receiving the electric bill timely.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I recently checked my credit report to find a collection account from Convergent for a 2 year old DTE bill. Neither company can provide backup documentation that I owe this and Experian is no help! This dates back to when DTE changed to a new billing system. I paid on the budget plan and know I did not use $400 of gas in one month. Beware! Experian allows this on your credit report even though they have no backup documentation! So unfair to the consumer! DTE needs to make this right!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I thought something was fishy when for the second time in recent years I was getting a new meter installed on my house. This past January I was billed for an adjusted full 2018. DTE wanted $3,113 from me. I could choose a payment plan but that's still $240 a month is added to my bill. Don't trust your bills. Go online and look at every detail.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DTE Energy?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

If there was only some competition we would not be treated so horribly by this company! I set up a payment to be paid on a certain day. They charged it the day before and then turned my service off for non payment. Then wanted to charge me $400 escrow fee. I had no choice because I have kids at home and it's, you know, WINTER. I hate dealing with DTE and only wish there was an alternative. That would wipe out all the smugness and stop them from grabbing you by the coin purse.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Had DTE come out because my 6 year old daughter and I smelled gas and were getting sick. When I asked the gentleman is it possible that your meter only detects a certain percentage of gas leak? That it doesn't mean that there isn't any at all? He never gave me an answer just a look. He did try so hard to find it and that alone gave me my answer. I know with the flies and months on my windows as well as fog that was a sign. Not to mention weight loss, headaches, rapid heartbeats and dizziness. As time went on cashiers were telling me they smell gas on my money. All I want is my life back and others to believe. Go with what your body tells you. We are made perfect! Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I have been paying my energy bill for several months since I moved into a new house. Apparently, that money was routed to my former address/account. DTE had been happily accepting this money. Recently I was getting phone calls threatening to disconnect my service because I hadn't been paying my bill. When I called to correct this and ask why DTE was taking money against an account in good standing, I was told that it was my responsibility to make sure my bills were going to the right location. I completely agree, however; When I kept asking why DTE was taking my money against an account in good standing for months and not contacting me, I was accosted by two customer service reps. I don't think they could have been ruder to a customer. This is another reason why DTE is often used as a case study for poor customer service.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Shut off for $163.90 and told to restart service I would have to pay entire amount which was $382.90 plus reconnect fee plus $400. deposit. That was the first person I spoke. No negotiations. That was on Friday, which meant if I didn’t pay I would go the whole weekend without service. The $163. was due on the 9th, they disconnected my service on the 11th. I asked to speak with supervisor. The 2nd person listened to my explanation. I simply forgot the date and ask them to check my payment history and they would see there were no problems in my pay history so if they would reconsider the deposit because I have custody of my 4 grandkids and it would be a stress maker to try to pay a total of $800 plus. I ask if the $400 could be waived because of my payment history and was told NO.

I asked for another supervisor. That person told me they could not waive but they would turn service on with the payment $386 plus reconnect and late fee total of $420.00 by end of day Friday however the deposit $400 would have to be paid within 7 days or service would be disconnected again. I could understand if I had bad payment history, but I didn’t. They are the worst company. Now I have to pay another $400 by week's end or my service will be off again all over missing payment by 2 days.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

OMG, over the years they keep getting worse. Lack of internal communication, a terrible website that is often not functioning, and unclear external communication. Today, 30-Nov-2018, I was disconnected twice. I spent 45 minutes on the last call (well over half of that was on hold and getting shuffled around) and ended up speaking with SEVEN! different people trying to make a payment. After connecting with a supervisor, A.H., he went to transfer me to person No. 8 to take my payment info (for the 4th time today), and I got pushed to an unidentified voicemail box! This is the worst experience I've had, but I've had several one- or two-star experiences. I've never had any interaction with DTE that wasn't painful.

DTE Energy Company Information