2. Homeowners

Illinois

3.9/5 (203 ratings)

About ComEd

ComEd Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ComEd?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ComEd?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

It was after 7pm during a winter storm with high winds and freezing rain when we found we had lost power. Wind chills were predicted to fall below 0 degrees and I was not prepared to face the night without heat. We called ComEd’s automated response line for guidance and started looking for flashlights and blankets expecting a long wait before someone would get back to us.

To our surprise, a ComEd truck and crew arrived within 15 minutes. They quickly assessed that the issue was at the connection of our power line with the main feeder in the alley. Our lights were back on 30 minutes later and we were immediately relieved. ComEd took care of us quickly and professionally and we are grateful for their response.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

This is in regards to a business account. Due to having previous bitter experience with ComEd, I was not hopeful that they would be accommodating in spite of the pandemic. I was WRONG. We had been closed on and off since March so I hadn't been checking mail consistently. To my horror, when I got to the ComEd bill, it was a unfathomable amount. Yes, I did skip a few payments unintentionally (it was on auto pay, but automatically cancelled due to payment return). I later discovered that they had imposed a few thousand dollars for security deposit. Also, by the time I opened the mail, it was already scheduled for disconnection. The fine print on the bill stated that they were offering payment options/plan due to the hardships. However, the 2 options were either 30% down, paid off in 3 months. Or 50% down, paid off in 6 months. Both amounts were still undoable in my current position. So I took a deep breath and wished for the best.

A lovely lady by the name of Yolanda answers my call. I proceed to provide her with my account info while explaining the reason for the skipped payments (in an effort to gain compassion). She responded, "ok, let me take a look and see what I can do, I'll check in periodically to let you know that I'm still on the line". Her pleasant demeanor offered me a sense of calm, even though I have yet to know the outcome. Shortly after, she presented a feasible payment plan with specific explanation and amounts. She also said that she will call off the disconnection order and reassured me that I will be getting a letter stating the details of all discussed. She also said that it will be reflective on my account momentarily as well (which it sure did!).

All in all, I truly believe it's whom you get on the line. This review is more so for Yolanda. But I guess ComEd deserves a portion of the credit for hiring such exemplary individuals. Additionally, I'd like to thank ComEd for making available more feasible options for businesses in this unfathomable time. Word of advice: Call Them! Don't be scared or anxious of the outcome. It'll be worse if you don't reach out.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

I look at my ComEd app a lot and I can't believe from hour to hour my bill goes up 10 to 15 cents and I haven't sometimes even woke up yet. I don't keep light on my heat is set in 64 cause I live on a second floor Apt. There's days it's over 1.50 and then the next day .80 cents. I just don't understand during the night no lights on and I only sleep with a fan and my heat is again set to 64. But 1 hour it 2 cents then the next is 12 cents come on. It's just a rip off. Right now should be a discount in my option but that would be a joke.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

Recently purchased a 220,000 dollar home, have been with ComEd for over a year, never ever one late payment since it’s on autopay. Tried to transfer service online today and it said we needed a 250 dollar deposit due to “credit” or something else stupid. Now let me mind you, we bought a house on the credit we have and ComEd wants a deposit? We called and the guy said, “We don’t know. We can’t see that, you have to call the credit bureau.” Uhhhhhhh okay, thanks bud for the stupid answer.

So we looked it up. It says you pay a deposit if you are a NEW customer or have 4 or more late payments. We have never even had ONE late payment. So we had to give into them ripping people off because we need electric since we move Monday but we are calling back and if it’s the same answer, we will get it figured out because what it says for the deposit, doesn’t include us. We didn’t have any issue with Nicor or any other utilities. But of course, ComEd... it’s like Comcast... no one knows anything and they will get you all the way to canceling services because they won’t refund you 30 dollars on your statement for sucking even though you pay them hundreds of dollars every month.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

Thank you so much to your team for their tirelessly work restoring Power in our community. Praise the Most High God Jehovah!!! Thank you again??? You all do an Excellent Job! The families are so appreciative for all that you do.

Original review: July 4, 2020

I switched a bank account due to COVID and my payment failed for the first time in 5 years. ComEd put me on their "black" list and I am not able to make automatic monthly payments anymore but need to call them each month, pay with a credit card and incur additional $1.75 fee. When I called them, they told me that they can't do anything but to wait 12 months in order to re-enroll again in the automatic payments system. If they sent me a notification (email or text) and gave me 24-48 hours to update my new bank info, I would have done so and the problem would have been solved. I am switching to another Retail Electric Supplier (RES), I am just sad that delivery will still have to go through ComEd. If you have a choice, avoid them at all cost!

Original review: April 2, 2020

DO NOT go with COMED at all. They are here to rip you off. They will tell you good things about their services and programs but they will rip you off so easily. Do not sign up for budget Billing program. Your Monthly bill will decrease for the first month and then they will start charging you more and after one year, they will charge you a big amount. This is the worst service that I have ever seen.

Original review: March 17, 2020

I have to say. I went to set up service and needed to verify my identity. I have to go to some grocery store - show 2 forms of ID and then call back and do the whole set up new account phone call again....Do you not have email? No actually they don't...Do you not have identity verification questions....No they do not...what year is this? You make enough money to upgrade with the times....For goodness sake you are the only Electric supply company in Illinois and you are stuck in 1982....Hello it's 1982 calling and they want their technology back, lol!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I canceled my service, calling on November 30th to end December 1st. I paid my final bill on December 16th. Today (1/21/2020) I received a deduction of $213.44 from my bank account. I called and they said they would not refund the money, I would have to ask for the reimbursement through my old apartment or have my old apartment contact them, pay the services and they would reimburse me. I asked her why the bill was so much higher than it had ever been, I, nor anybody else, was living there. She actually said to me "Why would I know? I don't live in that building." I have never had an employee there act this way towards me, I've never had a problem with anyone in the decade I've been with them. I wish I knew her name, she was an all around awful woman.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

Every month I get a notice that it's my last warning before disconnecting my electric. It is obnoxious. This month they are going to disconnect me over a $109.00 Bill that I incurred this month. It's winter so they can't shut it off. Besides that I may just get on a payment plan to give them a hard time like they are me. I'll pay it off later & do the same thing the following time. They want to waste my time & piss me off I'll waste their time and money too.

ComEd author review by Jonathan Trout

ComEd provides electricity to approximately 3.8 million customers in Illinois, which is around 70 percent of the state's population. It has been recognized for its contributions to the community and industry, including an Illinois Governor’s Sustainability Award and the EEI Safety Achievement Award.

• Online account: If you’re a ComEd customer you can set up an online account to manage your utility bill and usage easily. View current and past bills, check your usage and rates and start, stop or move services. Additionally, you can set up automatic payments through your online account.

• Outage reporting: You can report a power outage or street light outage on ComEd’s website or via its mobile app. You can also check current outages in your area, get outage alerts and view a map showing all current outages with estimated restoration times. ComEd also keeps you up to date on current storm information.

• Smart energy: ComEd implements a number of smart energy practices including a smart grid that offers fewer and shorter outages, a reduction in the use of fossil fuels and easier integration with renewable energy sources like wind and solar power.

• Smart meters: ComEd will install digital, electric meters called smart meters that provide secure, two-way communication between your meter and ComEd. Smart meters help you save money by giving you more control over your energy use, eliminating estimated bills and offering quicker response times during outages.

• Energy assessments: ComEd gives you a free energy assessment that shows you where you can reduce energy usage and save money. During the assessment, you can get energy-saving products installed for free, including programmable thermostats, hot water pipe insulation, advanced power strips and WaterSense showerheads.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team