Com Ed

Illinois

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

So, I'll admit we made the mistake of closing our checking account during our out of state move. It was a confusing move and we were trying to make sure we didn't forget anything. This caused the final bill to Com Ed to be returned. We received the Returned Payment notification in the mail at the new address, so I called Com Ed and paid the final bill by debit card. Next thing I know we're getting collection notices in the mail. I check my account and see where the final payment came out of my checking account so I'm a little confused. THEN the collections company starts calling.

They are of NO help, they just demand money but can't tell you what it's for. Why would I pay more money towards a final bill that I already paid? Long story short, apparently there were NSF charges we didn't know about, and Com Ed didn't contact us regarding those, and the Com Ed person I paid the "Final Bill" with didn't indicate there were these additional fees. How are you suppose to pay something you're not aware of? They tagged my husband's credit report with this delinquent payment. I don't think that's very fair. If you're telling me I'm paying the final bill, and I'm PAYING the final bill, don't add more fees on the back end without notifying the account holder.

I was moving to Chicago to rental apartment. While moving to rental apartment we were requested to create Com Ed account online for electricity bill. We tried to register for account online but registration failed after providing personal information. Com Ed customer service requested to visit to office on following business day. By that time landlord changed the apartment no we are suppose to move. We went to Com Ed office and created account for new apartment no.

After 3 months I received notification from office about bill for apartment on my name where I never stayed. I called Com Ed customer service to report the issue. Customer service told me that they don't care about technical issues happened online. They just see that apartment is billed on my name and insist me to pay the bill or contact landlord. I told them as registration was failed you never got my email/phone on contact. I never received any bills. This was technical issue with Com Ed and they should follow up with landlord. Later stage customer service became rude & pushing back on me to go & sort out between landlord. As per customer care Com Ed can bill anyone without giving them notification about successful account creation.

When I signed up for an account online, I had to then link my electric account to my login. When I tried to do this, I got to the account number line, didn't know what it was. Took a wild guess and entered my ComEd number. It didn't recognize it, and so I contacted the live chat. She informed me there was no email linked with my account and that was why I couldn't set it up. This made no sense to me. I set up the initial account (using my email) just fine and was able to log in. I was able to access the "add account" button to link my electric account. Everything was working fine and I simply didn't have my account number. She changed my account password, I was booted out of the account. I received no email saying my password had been changed. I clicked "forgot password" and it said it sent an email to me. I didn't get one. I asked the chat agent why. She said I would be unable to access the account for 48 hours while they work on it.

Wait, what? What needs to be worked on? It was all going along fine and I needed only my account number to link the account to my login! She told me they use ComEd account number, and I asked why mine wasn't recognized then. She repeated that it was because I had no email on file. This I just don't understand. What does my email address have ANYTHING to do with my account number. The form I was filling out to add the account didn't even ask for an email. It simply wanted the account number, which I did not have. She said the system wouldn't "allow" me to add the account without an email. But it never asked for one, and I registered with one in the first place, so I told her I just didn't get it. The problem was never an email, it was simply me not knowing my own account number.

When I asked why it needed an email to recognize my account number - and pointed out that I used an email address to sign up - she said my problem was forward to IT to add the account and I would be emailed in 48 hours. Then she ended the chat. I can't log in now, nor can I request a new password. Still not sure of my account number. Still don't get it. The account exists. What does email have to do with it. Never gave me my account number, just said "we use ComEd account". Not sure why mine wasn't recognized, unless they do NOT use ComEd numbers. Don't know why she couldn't just type it out for me, I'd have had the account added by now.

My account is up to date. I did not pay my ComEd bill on October 12th as I had medical bills that took priority. On October 24th I received notice of disconnection. I hate to see what my late charges will be.

On Friday, August 14, 2015, Kevin, a ComEd service technician inspected the meter for my unit, which is one of four units in the building. Kevin found that my meter had been connected to the power source for an adjacent unit, and that the meter for that unit had been connected to the power source for my unit, since the time the building was constructed in February, 2008. I moved into my unit in March, 2008, which means I've lived in my unit for 7 years, 5 months before the issue was caught. The current owners of the adjacent unit moved into their unit in May, 2008, which is 7 years 3 months.

I asked for restitution for all 7 years, 3 months, but ComEd took the position that unless I had bills and statements showing what I paid beyond a two-year look-back period (which would be back only to September, 2013, which I did not have), they would only reconcile two years of payments and reconcile whatever balance or credit I was due. It was stated to me they were liable only for two years, according to State law (c.f., 83 IL Adm Code 280.110 (b)(g)). When a correction was made and the actual data for my usage became available to me online in late August, the data shows my usage was significantly below the usage of the other unit, between 40-80% lower over a month by month comparison! My situation is not uncommon.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Com Ed?

My ex and I divorced in 2008. I stayed in the house we had together. I called all utilities to remove his name. Now, in 2015, I receive a $2000 bill. Come to find out that his past due amount from his house, that he bought with his new wife after we divorced, was transferred to my account. They said that he was still on my account and I am now responsible for that bill.

I told Com Ed about a very large dead oak tree that had one of its limbs hanging over a wire along my driveway. I called Com Ed in 2014, and when the rep came to my house, his response was, "When it falls, call us." This tree was not on my property, but the driveway is 500 feet long, and I drive up and down it as well as delivery trucks. I also walk my dog up and down my driveway. The property on which the tree was located has foreclosed. Today, the tree finally dropped across my driveway and onto the wires. Because it's pole to pole, three other poles along the driveway are broken. I shudder to think that I could have been killed by that tree because there was no warning: it just fell. There is now a great deal of repair which needs to be done that could have been avoided when Zi called in 2014.

There was a major storm in our neighborhood on 21 Jun 15. The same transformer that has blown for 3 consecutive years blew again. I can't stress enough that the transformer blowing did not impact my television. It was right after it blew and ComEd workers were trying unsuccessfully to repair the transformer that a spike sent my 50 inch plasma into oblivion. When I went outside and asked the worker what happened he said he was sorry and the fact the TV blew up was probably caused by him.

I send a full page letter outlining everything that happened and I get a "ROBO" letter back saying that I need to contact my homeowners insurance and get them to pay for it. WHAAAT?? I'm hoping that someone in your organization will take the proper time to review my request again before final determination of my claim. The negligent actions of COMED workers blew up my TV - NOT the storms!! Your further research into this matter would be greatly appreciated.

I moved out of a residence and paid all of my final billing. I receive a collection notice a month later from a 3rd party collector, not ComEd. As I attempt to communicate with ComEd to confirm that I in fact paid my bill, they have no information on file or no way to verify directly with me because they sent it to collections. I then write the collector and ask for verification. In the meantime, ComEd sends me a refund for overpayment check in the amount of the collection, with no details (or apologies), just a check. I contact the debt collector about the check and they say that ComEd must have applied my final payment to the incorrect account. Totally unprofessional and out of line. Now I have to get my credit report cleared.

My girlfriend is trying to a get new account in her name. They told us 12-14 business days. We are getting very tired of being without power. Every time we call it's just another blow off. We have called the state and ComEd didn't care. They would never go this long without power. We had a power outage due to a storm today. ComEd stopped by and wondered why we were the only house without power. We explained to him the reason and told him that their policy was to make us wait 12-14 days. He said he never heard of any such policy. So my girlfriend called them up as her and our son is talking to them. He had told them that we could die from this because it's getting close to 100 degrees. And she actually told my son that "It looks like you won't be around much longer then." So now we are going to go see a lawyer. Hopefully we can get this straight. I think I'm going to Spark Energy.

People are having trouble paying their utilities already, and try working out a payment plan with Com Ed or Peoples Gas. Peoples Gas told me I owed them 550, to just get started, and then I would pay a certain amount every month, and anymore gas I tacked on in the month. Same with Com Ed. REALLY. If you could pay the 600.00 to begin with you would have paid it, but since they put on this smart meter, they beating the crap out of people. They are the worst kind of people.

Today ComEd cut our power for 8 hrs for a quote "scheduled outage". We were not properly notified about this. Normally that would be nothing more than an inconvenience. However in our house, we have someone who requires oxygen and because we were not properly notified, I was not able to make arrangements for him and he ended up going through all of his portable oxygen. Originally we were told the power would be restored at 3 PM. Well 3 came and went and no power, so I contacted ComEd and after about 5 mins I was able to get to a prompt that sent me to a person.

I told ** what my issue was and he put me on hold for another 5 mins, came back and told me, "yeah I don't know what to tell you - the power is not coming back on 'til 5." I explained that I have a household member who requires oxygen and he was running out and I had no other safe place to take him and he repeated, "I don't know what to tell you - the power will not be on 'til 5 PM." I asked who could help me and tell me what to do, he put me on hold for his supervisor who he assured me would tell me the same thing. All the while the oxygen is getting lower.

After 20 mins on hold, ** got on the line and after I told her my problem, she put me on hold again and then did in fact tell me the same thing, except adding there was no tech in the area. Please explain to me how it is there was no tech in the area at 3PM when the outage was supposed to be "scheduled". When I explained that this person's life was going to be in danger soon, she told me to call an ambulance. Now I have to be calling an ambulance when it is ComEd who put him in this position. Who is going to pay for that?!? Unbelievable!!!

A landlord failed to report or disconnect, however that happens before the new tenant moved in. The new tenant with a family, afraid not to pay, went to LIHEAP program and complained maybe because the mail man was not properly delivering their bill. I read his bill and man, look at those bogus surcharges on his usage. I was like there is no way his family had a usage of a store. I told him he better complain. ComEd customers rep do not realize there is no way a family in a 2-bed cause the light bill to rise more than a house. Not true! Why is ComEd frightening Chicago residents with that and nothing being done? I just do not understand.

I paid my February thru april bills in full and on top of that purchased an energy efficient washer and drier. Then I get a shut off notice 5 days after I paid my bill on 4-1-2015 to come up with an additional 100.00. Clearly I am being gouged and ripped off by com ed. There needs to be an inquiry into these criminals and a class action lawsuit.

My electricity use monthly is about $50, but the delivery charge from Com Ed is $40 plus other crap they charge you for along with my taxes - comes to around $60. How the hell Com Ed is charging me MORE than what I actually use?! This is a RIP OFF! My neighbor tells me her Com Ed bill is never over $70 monthly and she's @ home ALL DAY!

Com Ed switched me to email (e-billing) without my permission and without me requesting it. Then I did not get any emails for bills for 4 months!!! Although they stated that they did send email bills.... I did pay in full for the 4 months and they did refund the "late" fees. I then switched to Starion Energy for the energy cost and I will save about $25 per month for the next 6 months... So Com Ed's profits will go down!!!! They should not have lied to me!!!

Integrys Energy Services Inc has been providing my energy since. I did nothing and it changed from Com Ed to Integrys. I allowed this change to occur because I understood that it would be less expensive than Com Ed. But Com Ed's delivery charge has increased by 38% from May to August 2014. In May 2014, Com Ed charged $15.06/month for delivering electricity to my home; in August 2014, Com Ed charged $20.75. This is quite a consumer rip-off. Now who do I change to for my energy? Is Com Ed allowed to increase its delivery charges as it loses customers to other energy suppliers?

My electric service with ComED has been out since 6-30-14. I called again on 7-2-14 still no ETA. ComED says we won't bill you for the days you are out of service. You should not bill me!! Then they say we are not responsible for your spoiled food, but you are responsible for me having electric service. Me losing my food means days maybe we won't have anything to eat or barely have it. ComEd is out of touch with the importance of having electric service. I was also told they don't have that many workers!! Way to go ComED!

I entered into a deferred payment plan in December. On 1/8/2013, I received my next bill that was due on 1/9/2013 and a disconnect notice for 1/14/2013. When I phoned Com Ed, they stated that there was nothing they could do. I cannot pay the bill until 1/18/2013. I was told that Com Ed cannot give extensions and there is again nothing that they can do. I cannot believe that my electricity will probably be turned off on Tuesday, 1/15/2013. I can pay the whole amount on 1/18/2013, but Com Ed does not care. I cannot understand how they can do this. With this economy, they can harm people because they are a monopoly and we have nowhere to turn. I am so scared. How do I tell my son he will have to live for 3 or more days in the cold with no heat or electricity? Because when I pay the bill, they can take any amount of time to turn back on my electricity. Please, someone help me understand how this can happen over the difference of paying a bill four days after the date on the bill.

I live in a small five-unit condo building. Since late May, residents noticed a noxious odor in the elevator and lobby. We investigated the elevator shaft and removed some standing water from the elevator shaft which we assumed was causing the problem. But the odor continued. On July 30, our elevator maintenance man was servicing the elevator and noticed the strong odor coming from the fifth floor unit. We discovered no electricity in the unit, dead flies, maggots on the kitchen floor and rotting food in the refrigerator. There was no tag on the meter in the basement and no notification that the electricity had been disconnected. I called Com Ed at approximately 11:00 and was told 3rd party guidelines prohibit them from notification of a disconnect. I questioned if this was the policy in a multiple unit building where the health and safety of other Com Ed customers are impacted by the disconnect.

When I returned home at approximately 3:30, I noticed that the disconnected meter was now miraculously tagged! Clearly, the service person who made the initial disconnection back in May or April failed to comply with guidelines thus compromising the health and safety of every resident in this building. Who knows the level of airborne bacteria that has been developed in three months? In addition to health concerns, residents have now incurred the cost of a bio hazard clean-up because Com Ed service personnel failed to tag disconnected service.

I moved into an apartment that had no electricity. Before I moved in, I called ComEd and transferred my service from my condo to the new place. Two months later, I got a bill for over $3,000. They told me it was backdated billing. I complained and they said they would investigate. They then told me it was up to me to find out who lived there before I moved in. I told them I wasn't an investigator. They said they would investigate again. They never got back to me. Plus, the landlord started making payments on a bill under my name, even after I requested to have my name taken off the bill. Then they sent this bill to collections! They never investigated or contacted me after several calls, a fax and 2 letters. When I call, all they say is it will be investigated. This is from Jan 2010.

ComEd just sent me two consecutive bills, both dated within a day of each other, for $300.00 a piece. This balloon-bill estimates monthly charges that dates back to January of 2011. Now, I owe them almost $700.00 in the next three weeks. I live in an apartment. In the past year, no one from ComEd has contacted me for a meter reading. Now, I am being attacked with this bill for an entire year of services. Additionally, they sent me a compound bill, two bills only a day apart, so it looks like I did not pay the previous (first bill sent).

Last year, Com Ed put a smart meter on my home. Since then, my bills have gone sky high. I have a severe medical condition. When I tried to call Com Ed several times, the customer service people were rude and told me nothing they can do. Also, since the meter has been in, my children have been getting sick with nausea, headaches, stomach problems and myself also. My medical condition has gotten worse. What can I do about this meter and have it taken out?

ComEd overcharged me for services, they received a LIHEap Payment to pay for my bill while I was with them. They told me that I will not have a bill for five months due to the credit on my account and only after five months they would put me on a payment plan. When I canceled services after 4 months, which was within the credit and moved from the residence, ComEd still sent me a bill in the amount of $321.86 for the studio apartment unit.

I have been trying to establish service at my new residence since December 15. I called ComEd to establish their service and I was told I have to take my ID into a currency exchange in Dolton,IL on Michigan Rd to fill out the application and show my ID with my address on it. Once doing so, I should receive a number to call back to ComEd with. Needless to say the currency exchange does not give any number out. I proceeded to call the light company back on December 23 to see if I was able to establish service. They told me that I need to give them a week and to call back. I called back after the new year and was still unsuccessful at getting my service established. So I ask my mother to phone them. She phoned them and was told to call the currency exchange to get the number. Well the currency exchange stated that they do not give any numbers out and they did not understand why ComEd was telling the customers such. So it's now March and needless to say I still have no service established. My mom was able to get through again to someone last week and she was told I had to go to another currency exchange to show my ID, this time in Markham, IL on Dixie Hwy. I went there and once again they do not give out a number! So now it has been 3 months and I have not received a light bill from ComEd. At which whenever I do establish service my bill will be extremely high for me to pay 3 months at one time. I would appreciate if you all can file this complaint on my behalf. I am a college student and just starting off in life of my own and cannot afford all this hassle to establish light service in my name. Thank you.

Ms. ** charged fees and past due fees for service over ten years ago, promising they would not charge the old bill all the time. They wouldn't respond to any phone calls or because of my racial background, they made instigated misunderstandings with me and them while trying to discuss the bill.

My payment amount has nearly quadrupled. My average monthly bill is between $53 to $69 more or less. As a matter of fact, my October bill was $53.98. So of course I was shocked when I received my November bill of $224.10. When I called ComEd to inquire about this amount, I was told that the amount was a result of an October meter read and my billing prior to the read were estimates.

Because my meter was unavailable for a read several months prior, ComEd determined that I was underbilled based on the October meter read. I really didn't understand, but I accepted this explanation. However, I assumed that subsequent billing would reflect a more reasonable amount but I assumed wrong. If this was simply a meter read issue, ComEd could have contacted me to get a meter read. Further, if my meter was read in October without my knowledge, ComEd could have used the same practice several months prior. It is what it is. Companies are imposing arbitrary rate increases and justifying it with crappy explanations.

On Friday afternoon 10/29, Com Ed cut off our service for non payment. We immediately called to and paid $600 of the $1,000 balance but they still would not restore service and demanded payment in full. We offered another credit card to pay the entire bill but then were told that they would only accept one payment by phone per day and instructed us to go to a currency exchange to pay the balance if we had any hope of getting the electric restored by 6pm, which was the latest time they could possibly accommodate, but we would most likely have no power until Monday 11/1/10.

With ComEd, my electric bill is only $40 - $45 monthly. The delivery charge is $22.09 on top of taxes which is only $3.11. My complaint is that we consumers should not have to pay with half our bill is just in delivery charges, so my total bill is $70 and $22 of that $70 is just in delivery service charge. I think it's crazy that we have to pay that much just in delivery charge for the electric to get to us! What really upsets me is that there's no other company to switch to or compete with ComEd. Someone needs to step in and do something about this delivery service charge that has tripled that ComEd is getting away with.

The electric company for Chicago, IL has hiked up out monthly bill without any notice or proof of increased electricity usage. When asked to have a worker come to our home and read the usage meter they declined and said our monthly bill will continue to be more than 50% above previous bills for that past 20 years. Our monthly bill has averaged the amount of $30-$45 and month for the past 23 years. Now the bill has hiked to over $100 dollars a month without any proof of increased usage.

Com Ed Company Profile