1.43/5

Need a utility company?

Illinois

Need a utility company?

52 ComEd Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

Called to cancel my service because I was moving out of state in May 2017. It took 4 different phone calls and speaking with 2 managers to accomplish this. Gave them my new address for any future bills. I received 2 more invoices and paid them both in full. Went to purchase a new car in Aug 2019 - the finance rep said I didn't qualify for the best rate due to 1 collection on my credit report. Everything else on my credit report was excellent.

The 1 collection was from ComEd for $21!!!! When I called ComEd to review my payments and account being closed, it took another 3 calls and 2 more managers to have this resolved. NOW MY CREDIT SCORE IS DOWN 88 POINTS DUE TO A $21 COLLECTION THAT WASN'T EVEN MY ISSUE!!! What I learned - check your credit report at least twice a year and DON'T EVER USE COMED AGAIN!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

ComEd is such a scam. Their customer service is a nightmare, their rates are ridiculous, and their website is comical. I moved out of my DeKalb apartment to my current one in the middle of June, making trips back and forth for a few weeks before cancelling service so I could clean and keep the fridge on. For the less than month and a half I wasn't there, they charged me over $50 total FOR A SINGLE FRIDGE RUNNING and their website telling me I used way over what my neighbors use for electricity! BS. The service charge for PROVIDING the electricity was MORE THAN HALF of the electricity's recorded usage charge. I shouldn't have had to pay more than $20 but since ComEd is so greedy, they charge you for using them.

During my total of 4 years with ComEd, they've had door to door people claiming they're affiliated with them try and take my information and add services on to the ridiculous amount I was already paying. I've gotten letters in the mail telling me I'll be switched to this or that new partner service providing a different source of energy and if I didn't opt out by a certain date with tons of steps to go through, I'd be charged more for this new supplier. ComEd is a scam, a joke, and most of all, greedy. The only electricity company in Northern Illinois and they're abusing it with apathy and price gouging. If I could switch, I would've within the first month of being on my own 4 years ago.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 29, 2019

The customer experience with ComEd is a huge waste of time - terrible and outdated - attempting to service online has led to an error every time I’ve tried to do it, when it seems like the process is about to be successful. Customer service has outdated means of verifying your identity. The experience is an incredible waste of time for a service that everyone needs.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I cannot stress this enough, with all the utilities available in the state of Illinois, know your rights. Go to the Illinois commerce commission site and familiarize yourself with your rights as a utility customer. Come ahead will lie to you, or leave out information that does not tell the whole story and not blink an eye. Every representative will tell you a different thing, I don’t know if they need better training or if that is actually how they want it to be. If your bill is incorrect, or your service is not what it is supposed to be, you can file an informal complaint with the Illinois commerce commission and it will stop any disconnections while the matter is being investigated. I will warn you, the person they assign you to to resolve your issue will make it hard, they will only have hours 9 to 5 Monday through Friday, but you can also request to be contacted by email, which they will not tell you.

ComEd will tell you anything that they think will get you to panic and pay them whatever they have asked, whether it is correct or not, even if that is against Illinois law. There is a certain protocol that must be followed. Do you not believe the customer service representatives without checking with the ICC laws first. Carmine's wonderful system “lost” several of our payments, therefore making our due balance ungodly high. I tried to tell me to just pay it and then they would look for the payments, and they will always threaten disconnection. Personally, I think that they should be reviewed and fined for the way they treat people considering they are monopoly.

Original review: April 10, 2019

The customer service along with the supervisors are unwilling to make any sort of exceptions. Power was disconnected due to non-payment. Explained I was under the impression the former resident was paying the bill. Customer Service refused to re-activate unless full amount was rendered. Not even by paying more than 1/2 of balance. Asked for call to be elevated to supervisor, it felt as she was reading from a script and kept repeating herself. Asked for her supervisor and was told I would receive a call back in 48 hours. Meantime, current new resident is without power. The worst customer service I have ever encountered. Thanks Gladys for your poor phone etiquette.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ComEd?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I got a text from ComEd will take the power down at 4 PM to 7 PM on Super Bowl Sunday? The wireless phone companies treat a Super Bowl just like a Mother's Day. I need power to run my sump pump. It's 4:18 and they haven't taken the power down yet.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Ok, we have -16 outside. It is Wednesday the January 30th - the coldest day in history and ComEd decided to turn off the power starting 1:15 pm thru 6 pm due to maintenance repair. Are you guys serious? In the moment when we need power the most you turning the power off for citizen? Let them freeze to death in their homes? Water pipes freeze? WTF people?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Paid bill online through online banking. Payment took the cents as dollars. ComEd didn't question the amount. Snatched it up in a heartbeat. With power outages took them 4 days to get someone to even answer the phone even after it takes you through numerous prompts. When did make contact was told it would take 30 days to refund the money even though it took them seconds to take it.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

They will not allow me to pay off my $1.43 bill. Minimum payments must be $5 but payments can’t be more than total bill. So, I’m forced to let my bill go past due until my next bill comes and exceeds $5?!? All I want to do is pay my bill. I’ve never seen a company so incapable of solving a simple problem and providing a basic level of customer service. Only utility companies get away with this.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

ComEd has fraudulent placed a bill on my account that I don't owe. They are bullying me to pay for services I never had. I got all of my legal documents to prove it wasn't me. I made police reports. I've sent the information they asked for 5 times. No one can find it. I have proof they have it... now they want to cut my lights off. I'm calling my local news tomorrow. This is horrible that this is happening. My name is Theresa **. I'm reporting this in the morning to Channel 7 Fox News and WGN. This is crazy. All the reps are rude... and are of no help. I will not allow ComEd to force me to pay for something that's not mine. They said 45 days this will be taken care of. It's been 90 days and no one will talk to me.

ComEd expert review by Jonathan Trout

ComEd provides electricity to approximately 3.8 million customers in Illinois, which is around 70 percent of the state's population. It has been recognized for its contributions to the community and industry, including an Illinois Governor’s Sustainability Award and the EEI Safety Achievement Award.

• Online account: If you’re a ComEd customer you can set up an online account to manage your utility bill and usage easily. View current and past bills, check your usage and rates and start, stop or move services. Additionally, you can set up automatic payments through your online account.

• Outage reporting: You can report a power outage or street light outage on ComEd’s website or via its mobile app. You can also check current outages in your area, get outage alerts and view a map showing all current outages with estimated restoration times. ComEd also keeps you up to date on current storm information.

• Smart energy: ComEd implements a number of smart energy practices including a smart grid that offers fewer and shorter outages, a reduction in the use of fossil fuels and easier integration with renewable energy sources like wind and solar power.

• Smart meters: ComEd will install digital, electric meters called smart meters that provide secure, two-way communication between your meter and ComEd. Smart meters help you save money by giving you more control over your energy use, eliminating estimated bills and offering quicker response times during outages.

• Energy assessments: ComEd gives you a free energy assessment that shows you where you can reduce energy usage and save money. During the assessment, you can get energy-saving products installed for free, including programmable thermostats, hot water pipe insulation, advanced power strips and WaterSense showerheads.

• Best for: customers who want energy-saving features included with their electricity service.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout