Illinois

3.7/5 (144 ratings)

About ComEd

ComEd Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ComEd?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ComEd?

Original review: March 29, 2022

We moved out of state.. as I was making payments, AND SPOKE to someone who told me our account was closed, but just keep making payments. Never told us that if you don’t pay for those send you to collections.. Well by the second payment when I spoke to somebody they said we were sent to collections. Now mind you I never received a final bill. So I wrote in to the Better Business Bureau. I have a supervisor from Com ed call me, she told me, "Do you want me to redo the transcript from your phone call?" And I said, "No because that could be altered but I’d like to hear it" and she said, "No. I can only read it to you." So mind you I’ve been paying Com ed for 30 years. I’ve never been sent to collections. I’ve been late maybe once or twice but they’ve never ever ever sent me to collections. Now why on earth are they sending people to collections now especially before a final bill? That is not right AT ALL!!

Give someone a chance to pay before they send you to collections. I bet you their friends and family don’t get sent to collections. They don’t wanna screw up their families' credit but they screwup everybody else’s. I think that should be unlawful that they could send you to collections before you get a final bill. It’s absolutely unlawful. It should be. They're horrible and the supervisor was very rude and very mean!!! I’ll tell you what they’re the worst company ever. Unfortunately they’re about the only company you can get electric through. They’re rude and have no correct communication. And if you can go somewhere else do it!! Up your com Ed.

Original review: March 9, 2022

I'm a brand new ComEd customer. I just moved recently and needed to set up service. I filled out the start new service form and thought that my account was good to go. I tried logging into my account, only to find out that ComEd's site said my email address wasn't associated with any account yet. This didn't make sense, as I had already gotten a confirmation email to that same email address from ComEd, stating that my service request was being processed. I had to call customer service to figure out what was going on.

The customer service rep stated that I couldn't log in to my online account because I wasn't registered yet. My question is--why does ComEd let you start service without registering? It should require you to register before starting service. Otherwise you'd have an account and bill that you can't access online. The sign up and registration process was not easy or clear and needs to be improved.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

Several times, I have incurred outages that have ruined my food. Each time, I fill out the form for reimbursement and am denied. They won't even discuss it. I don't trust their customer service. Don't count on them for help during an emergency.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

Installed solar panels and was connected to ComEd's grid for net metering. All was well, was getting monthly credit for electricity surplus, then it suddenly stopped. I did not discover the error for a year and a half. Upon discovery, I called and asked for a check to refund me the money I had paid ComEd for the electricity I had not used for last year and a half in the amount of $1,300. I deposited the check successfully and used the funds for Christmas presents. A week later, I got a letter in the mail from my bank saying that ComEd had voided the check and I no longer had access to the funds and was charged a $12 fee for the voided check. I called ComEd and was told “they needed to revoke the check” and rebill me independently for each period for the last year and a half and that it "would take a while."

It’s been nearly a month and, "rebilling is not complete." I asked how much longer it would take and wasn't provided an answer as their department doesn’t know and there is no way to talk to that billing dept…I was asked to call back in a week for an update as it “takes time” to rebill. I did so then was told they are still working on it and to call back in a week. I called back again and was told it may take up to 40 days and to call back in the new year. Today is December 20th.

The customer service reps said that they don’t have any ability to connect me with the account/billing department and can’t tell me when it will be done. Nor are they able to say to me if I will be refunded the $12 fee from my bank. One mistake after another, 1) improperly charging customer for electricity not used (given I had been providing electricity to the network but was not credited for it), 2) refunding funds to customer via check only to then cancel/void the customer check with no notification and incurring $12 bank fee to customer, 3) Unable to communicate how they will reconcile their errors with any specificity in timing (or apology).

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

It was after 7pm during a winter storm with high winds and freezing rain when we found we had lost power. Wind chills were predicted to fall below 0 degrees and I was not prepared to face the night without heat. We called ComEd’s automated response line for guidance and started looking for flashlights and blankets expecting a long wait before someone would get back to us.

To our surprise, a ComEd truck and crew arrived within 15 minutes. They quickly assessed that the issue was at the connection of our power line with the main feeder in the alley. Our lights were back on 30 minutes later and we were immediately relieved. ComEd took care of us quickly and professionally and we are grateful for their response.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

This is in regards to a business account. Due to having previous bitter experience with ComEd, I was not hopeful that they would be accommodating in spite of the pandemic. I was WRONG. We had been closed on and off since March so I hadn't been checking mail consistently. To my horror, when I got to the ComEd bill, it was a unfathomable amount. Yes, I did skip a few payments unintentionally (it was on auto pay, but automatically cancelled due to payment return). I later discovered that they had imposed a few thousand dollars for security deposit. Also, by the time I opened the mail, it was already scheduled for disconnection. The fine print on the bill stated that they were offering payment options/plan due to the hardships. However, the 2 options were either 30% down, paid off in 3 months. Or 50% down, paid off in 6 months. Both amounts were still undoable in my current position. So I took a deep breath and wished for the best.

A lovely lady by the name of Yolanda answers my call. I proceed to provide her with my account info while explaining the reason for the skipped payments (in an effort to gain compassion). She responded, "ok, let me take a look and see what I can do, I'll check in periodically to let you know that I'm still on the line". Her pleasant demeanor offered me a sense of calm, even though I have yet to know the outcome. Shortly after, she presented a feasible payment plan with specific explanation and amounts. She also said that she will call off the disconnection order and reassured me that I will be getting a letter stating the details of all discussed. She also said that it will be reflective on my account momentarily as well (which it sure did!).

All in all, I truly believe it's whom you get on the line. This review is more so for Yolanda. But I guess ComEd deserves a portion of the credit for hiring such exemplary individuals. Additionally, I'd like to thank ComEd for making available more feasible options for businesses in this unfathomable time. Word of advice: Call Them! Don't be scared or anxious of the outcome. It'll be worse if you don't reach out.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

I look at my ComEd app a lot and I can't believe from hour to hour my bill goes up 10 to 15 cents and I haven't sometimes even woke up yet. I don't keep light on my heat is set in 64 cause I live on a second floor Apt. There's days it's over 1.50 and then the next day .80 cents. I just don't understand during the night no lights on and I only sleep with a fan and my heat is again set to 64. But 1 hour it 2 cents then the next is 12 cents come on. It's just a rip off. Right now should be a discount in my option but that would be a joke.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

Recently purchased a 220,000 dollar home, have been with ComEd for over a year, never ever one late payment since it’s on autopay. Tried to transfer service online today and it said we needed a 250 dollar deposit due to “credit” or something else stupid. Now let me mind you, we bought a house on the credit we have and ComEd wants a deposit? We called and the guy said, “We don’t know. We can’t see that, you have to call the credit bureau.” Uhhhhhhh okay, thanks bud for the stupid answer.

So we looked it up. It says you pay a deposit if you are a NEW customer or have 4 or more late payments. We have never even had ONE late payment. So we had to give into them ripping people off because we need electric since we move Monday but we are calling back and if it’s the same answer, we will get it figured out because what it says for the deposit, doesn’t include us. We didn’t have any issue with Nicor or any other utilities. But of course, ComEd... it’s like Comcast... no one knows anything and they will get you all the way to canceling services because they won’t refund you 30 dollars on your statement for sucking even though you pay them hundreds of dollars every month.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

Thank you so much to your team for their tirelessly work restoring Power in our community. Praise the Most High God Jehovah!!! Thank you again??? You all do an Excellent Job! The families are so appreciative for all that you do.

Original review: July 4, 2020

I switched a bank account due to COVID and my payment failed for the first time in 5 years. ComEd put me on their "black" list and I am not able to make automatic monthly payments anymore but need to call them each month, pay with a credit card and incur additional $1.75 fee. When I called them, they told me that they can't do anything but to wait 12 months in order to re-enroll again in the automatic payments system. If they sent me a notification (email or text) and gave me 24-48 hours to update my new bank info, I would have done so and the problem would have been solved. I am switching to another Retail Electric Supplier (RES), I am just sad that delivery will still have to go through ComEd. If you have a choice, avoid them at all cost!

ComEd author review by Jonathan Trout

ComEd provides electricity to approximately 3.8 million customers in Illinois, which is around 70 percent of the state's population. It has been recognized for its contributions to the community and industry, including an Illinois Governor’s Sustainability Award and the EEI Safety Achievement Award.

• Online account: If you’re a ComEd customer you can set up an online account to manage your utility bill and usage easily. View current and past bills, check your usage and rates and start, stop or move services. Additionally, you can set up automatic payments through your online account.

• Outage reporting: You can report a power outage or street light outage on ComEd’s website or via its mobile app. You can also check current outages in your area, get outage alerts and view a map showing all current outages with estimated restoration times. ComEd also keeps you up to date on current storm information.

• Smart energy: ComEd implements a number of smart energy practices including a smart grid that offers fewer and shorter outages, a reduction in the use of fossil fuels and easier integration with renewable energy sources like wind and solar power.

• Smart meters: ComEd will install digital, electric meters called smart meters that provide secure, two-way communication between your meter and ComEd. Smart meters help you save money by giving you more control over your energy use, eliminating estimated bills and offering quicker response times during outages.

• Energy assessments: ComEd gives you a free energy assessment that shows you where you can reduce energy usage and save money. During the assessment, you can get energy-saving products installed for free, including programmable thermostats, hot water pipe insulation, advanced power strips and WaterSense showerheads.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team