2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

Illinois

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.45/5

ComEd Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ComEd?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about ComEd?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

Thank you so much to your team for their tirelessly work restoring Power in our community. Praise the Most High God Jehovah!!! Thank you again??? You all do an Excellent Job! The families are so appreciative for all that you do.

Original review: July 4, 2020

I switched a bank account due to COVID and my payment failed for the first time in 5 years. ComEd put me on their "black" list and I am not able to make automatic monthly payments anymore but need to call them each month, pay with a credit card and incur additional $1.75 fee. When I called them, they told me that they can't do anything but to wait 12 months in order to re-enroll again in the automatic payments system. If they sent me a notification (email or text) and gave me 24-48 hours to update my new bank info, I would have done so and the problem would have been solved. I am switching to another Retail Electric Supplier (RES), I am just sad that delivery will still have to go through ComEd. If you have a choice, avoid them at all cost!

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 2, 2020

DO NOT go with COMED at all. They are here to rip you off. They will tell you good things about their services and programs but they will rip you off so easily. Do not sign up for budget Billing program. Your Monthly bill will decrease for the first month and then they will start charging you more and after one year, they will charge you a big amount. This is the worst service that I have ever seen.

Original review: March 17, 2020

I have to say. I went to set up service and needed to verify my identity. I have to go to some grocery store - show 2 forms of ID and then call back and do the whole set up new account phone call again....Do you not have email? No actually they don't...Do you not have identity verification questions....No they do not...what year is this? You make enough money to upgrade with the times....For goodness sake you are the only Electric supply company in Illinois and you are stuck in 1982....Hello it's 1982 calling and they want their technology back, lol!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I canceled my service, calling on November 30th to end December 1st. I paid my final bill on December 16th. Today (1/21/2020) I received a deduction of $213.44 from my bank account. I called and they said they would not refund the money, I would have to ask for the reimbursement through my old apartment or have my old apartment contact them, pay the services and they would reimburse me. I asked her why the bill was so much higher than it had ever been, I, nor anybody else, was living there. She actually said to me "Why would I know? I don't live in that building." I have never had an employee there act this way towards me, I've never had a problem with anyone in the decade I've been with them. I wish I knew her name, she was an all around awful woman.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

Every month I get a notice that it's my last warning before disconnecting my electric. It is obnoxious. This month they are going to disconnect me over a $109.00 Bill that I incurred this month. It's winter so they can't shut it off. Besides that I may just get on a payment plan to give them a hard time like they are me. I'll pay it off later & do the same thing the following time. They want to waste my time & piss me off I'll waste their time and money too.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

It’s the hottest month of the year in Illinois and ComEd cut my power off. (It’s 88 degrees.) I called and the representative said it’s because the bill is past due. Well I called last month and paid the minimum amount on the bill that the representative said was due. Mind you this bill isn’t due until September 26. They couldn’t give me a legitimate reason why the power was cut off. They then went on to say that we sent a disconnection notice in the mail August 23rd and called you twice. We never received a disconnection bill or phone calls from the company. Once again why are you disconnecting the bill and a payment was paid last month and the payment for this month isn’t even due. These people are liars and scammers.

I NEVER RECEIVED A DISCONNECTION NOTICE OR ANY CALLS. The representative even slipped up and said they didn’t have a number on file so how did you attempt to call me if you never had a number on file. You claimed you sent a disconnection notice but yet all I received was the bill for September. An entire business full of liars and scammers.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

Called to cancel my service because I was moving out of state in May 2017. It took 4 different phone calls and speaking with 2 managers to accomplish this. Gave them my new address for any future bills. I received 2 more invoices and paid them both in full. Went to purchase a new car in Aug 2019 - the finance rep said I didn't qualify for the best rate due to 1 collection on my credit report. Everything else on my credit report was excellent.

The 1 collection was from ComEd for $21!!!! When I called ComEd to review my payments and account being closed, it took another 3 calls and 2 more managers to have this resolved. NOW MY CREDIT SCORE IS DOWN 88 POINTS DUE TO A $21 COLLECTION THAT WASN'T EVEN MY ISSUE!!! What I learned - check your credit report at least twice a year and DON'T EVER USE COMED AGAIN!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

ComEd is such a scam. Their customer service is a nightmare, their rates are ridiculous, and their website is comical. I moved out of my DeKalb apartment to my current one in the middle of June, making trips back and forth for a few weeks before cancelling service so I could clean and keep the fridge on. For the less than month and a half I wasn't there, they charged me over $50 total FOR A SINGLE FRIDGE RUNNING and their website telling me I used way over what my neighbors use for electricity! BS. The service charge for PROVIDING the electricity was MORE THAN HALF of the electricity's recorded usage charge. I shouldn't have had to pay more than $20 but since ComEd is so greedy, they charge you for using them.

During my total of 4 years with ComEd, they've had door to door people claiming they're affiliated with them try and take my information and add services on to the ridiculous amount I was already paying. I've gotten letters in the mail telling me I'll be switched to this or that new partner service providing a different source of energy and if I didn't opt out by a certain date with tons of steps to go through, I'd be charged more for this new supplier. ComEd is a scam, a joke, and most of all, greedy. The only electricity company in Northern Illinois and they're abusing it with apathy and price gouging. If I could switch, I would've within the first month of being on my own 4 years ago.

Original review: April 29, 2019

The customer experience with ComEd is a huge waste of time - terrible and outdated - attempting to service online has led to an error every time I’ve tried to do it, when it seems like the process is about to be successful. Customer service has outdated means of verifying your identity. The experience is an incredible waste of time for a service that everyone needs.

ComEd author review by Jonathan Trout

ComEd provides electricity to approximately 3.8 million customers in Illinois, which is around 70 percent of the state's population. It has been recognized for its contributions to the community and industry, including an Illinois Governor’s Sustainability Award and the EEI Safety Achievement Award.

• Online account: If you’re a ComEd customer you can set up an online account to manage your utility bill and usage easily. View current and past bills, check your usage and rates and start, stop or move services. Additionally, you can set up automatic payments through your online account.

• Outage reporting: You can report a power outage or street light outage on ComEd’s website or via its mobile app. You can also check current outages in your area, get outage alerts and view a map showing all current outages with estimated restoration times. ComEd also keeps you up to date on current storm information.

• Smart energy: ComEd implements a number of smart energy practices including a smart grid that offers fewer and shorter outages, a reduction in the use of fossil fuels and easier integration with renewable energy sources like wind and solar power.

• Smart meters: ComEd will install digital, electric meters called smart meters that provide secure, two-way communication between your meter and ComEd. Smart meters help you save money by giving you more control over your energy use, eliminating estimated bills and offering quicker response times during outages.

• Energy assessments: ComEd gives you a free energy assessment that shows you where you can reduce energy usage and save money. During the assessment, you can get energy-saving products installed for free, including programmable thermostats, hot water pipe insulation, advanced power strips and WaterSense showerheads.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team