1.46/5

Need a utility company?

Illinois

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

47 ComEd Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 16, 2014

Com Ed switched me to email (e-billing) without my permission and without me requesting it. Then I did not get any emails for bills for 4 months!!! Although they stated that they did send email bills.... I did pay in full for the 4 months and they did refund the "late" fees. I then switched to Starion Energy for the energy cost and I will save about $25 per month for the next 6 months... So Com Ed's profits will go down!!!! They should not have lied to me!!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2014

Integrys Energy Services Inc has been providing my energy since. I did nothing and it changed from Com Ed to Integrys. I allowed this change to occur because I understood that it would be less expensive than Com Ed. But Com Ed's delivery charge has increased by 38% from May to August 2014. In May 2014, Com Ed charged $15.06/month for delivering electricity to my home; in August 2014, Com Ed charged $20.75. This is quite a consumer rip-off. Now who do I change to for my energy? Is Com Ed allowed to increase its delivery charges as it loses customers to other energy suppliers?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: July 2, 2014

My electric service with ComED has been out since 6-30-14. I called again on 7-2-14 still no ETA. ComED says we won't bill you for the days you are out of service. You should not bill me!! Then they say we are not responsible for your spoiled food, but you are responsible for me having electric service. Me losing my food means days maybe we won't have anything to eat or barely have it. ComEd is out of touch with the importance of having electric service. I was also told they don't have that many workers!! Way to go ComED!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2013

I entered into a deferred payment plan in December. On 1/8/2013, I received my next bill that was due on 1/9/2013 and a disconnect notice for 1/14/2013. When I phoned Com Ed, they stated that there was nothing they could do. I cannot pay the bill until 1/18/2013. I was told that Com Ed cannot give extensions and there is again nothing that they can do. I cannot believe that my electricity will probably be turned off on Tuesday, 1/15/2013. I can pay the whole amount on 1/18/2013, but Com Ed does not care. I cannot understand how they can do this. With this economy, they can harm people because they are a monopoly and we have nowhere to turn. I am so scared. How do I tell my son he will have to live for 3 or more days in the cold with no heat or electricity? Because when I pay the bill, they can take any amount of time to turn back on my electricity. Please, someone help me understand how this can happen over the difference of paying a bill four days after the date on the bill.

Original review: July 31, 2012

I live in a small five-unit condo building. Since late May, residents noticed a noxious odor in the elevator and lobby. We investigated the elevator shaft and removed some standing water from the elevator shaft which we assumed was causing the problem. But the odor continued. On July 30, our elevator maintenance man was servicing the elevator and noticed the strong odor coming from the fifth floor unit. We discovered no electricity in the unit, dead flies, maggots on the kitchen floor and rotting food in the refrigerator. There was no tag on the meter in the basement and no notification that the electricity had been disconnected. I called Com Ed at approximately 11:00 and was told 3rd party guidelines prohibit them from notification of a disconnect. I questioned if this was the policy in a multiple unit building where the health and safety of other Com Ed customers are impacted by the disconnect.

When I returned home at approximately 3:30, I noticed that the disconnected meter was now miraculously tagged! Clearly, the service person who made the initial disconnection back in May or April failed to comply with guidelines thus compromising the health and safety of every resident in this building. Who knows the level of airborne bacteria that has been developed in three months? In addition to health concerns, residents have now incurred the cost of a bio hazard clean-up because Com Ed service personnel failed to tag disconnected service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ComEd?

Original review: June 29, 2012

I moved into an apartment that had no electricity. Before I moved in, I called ComEd and transferred my service from my condo to the new place. Two months later, I got a bill for over $3,000. They told me it was backdated billing. I complained and they said they would investigate. They then told me it was up to me to find out who lived there before I moved in. I told them I wasn't an investigator. They said they would investigate again. They never got back to me. Plus, the landlord started making payments on a bill under my name, even after I requested to have my name taken off the bill. Then they sent this bill to collections! They never investigated or contacted me after several calls, a fax and 2 letters. When I call, all they say is it will be investigated. This is from Jan 2010.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2011

ComEd just sent me two consecutive bills, both dated within a day of each other, for $300.00 a piece. This balloon-bill estimates monthly charges that dates back to January of 2011. Now, I owe them almost $700.00 in the next three weeks. I live in an apartment. In the past year, no one from ComEd has contacted me for a meter reading. Now, I am being attacked with this bill for an entire year of services. Additionally, they sent me a compound bill, two bills only a day apart, so it looks like I did not pay the previous (first bill sent).

Original review: Sept. 29, 2011

Last year, Com Ed put a smart meter on my home. Since then, my bills have gone sky high. I have a severe medical condition. When I tried to call Com Ed several times, the customer service people were rude and told me nothing they can do. Also, since the meter has been in, my children have been getting sick with nausea, headaches, stomach problems and myself also. My medical condition has gotten worse. What can I do about this meter and have it taken out?

Original review: April 8, 2011

ComEd overcharged me for services, they received a LIHEap Payment to pay for my bill while I was with them. They told me that I will not have a bill for five months due to the credit on my account and only after five months they would put me on a payment plan. When I canceled services after 4 months, which was within the credit and moved from the residence, ComEd still sent me a bill in the amount of $321.86 for the studio apartment unit.

Original review: March 14, 2011

I have been trying to establish service at my new residence since December 15. I called ComEd to establish their service and I was told I have to take my ID into a currency exchange in Dolton,IL on Michigan Rd to fill out the application and show my ID with my address on it. Once doing so, I should receive a number to call back to ComEd with. Needless to say the currency exchange does not give any number out. I proceeded to call the light company back on December 23 to see if I was able to establish service. They told me that I need to give them a week and to call back. I called back after the new year and was still unsuccessful at getting my service established. So I ask my mother to phone them. She phoned them and was told to call the currency exchange to get the number. Well the currency exchange stated that they do not give any numbers out and they did not understand why ComEd was telling the customers such. So it's now March and needless to say I still have no service established. My mom was able to get through again to someone last week and she was told I had to go to another currency exchange to show my ID, this time in Markham, IL on Dixie Hwy. I went there and once again they do not give out a number! So now it has been 3 months and I have not received a light bill from ComEd. At which whenever I do establish service my bill will be extremely high for me to pay 3 months at one time. I would appreciate if you all can file this complaint on my behalf. I am a college student and just starting off in life of my own and cannot afford all this hassle to establish light service in my name. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2010

Ms. ** charged fees and past due fees for service over ten years ago, promising they would not charge the old bill all the time. They wouldn't respond to any phone calls or because of my racial background, they made instigated misunderstandings with me and them while trying to discuss the bill.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2010

My payment amount has nearly quadrupled. My average monthly bill is between $53 to $69 more or less. As a matter of fact, my October bill was $53.98. So of course I was shocked when I received my November bill of $224.10. When I called ComEd to inquire about this amount, I was told that the amount was a result of an October meter read and my billing prior to the read were estimates.

Because my meter was unavailable for a read several months prior, ComEd determined that I was underbilled based on the October meter read. I really didn't understand, but I accepted this explanation. However, I assumed that subsequent billing would reflect a more reasonable amount but I assumed wrong. If this was simply a meter read issue, ComEd could have contacted me to get a meter read. Further, if my meter was read in October without my knowledge, ComEd could have used the same practice several months prior. It is what it is. Companies are imposing arbitrary rate increases and justifying it with crappy explanations.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2010

On Friday afternoon 10/29, Com Ed cut off our service for non payment. We immediately called to and paid $600 of the $1,000 balance but they still would not restore service and demanded payment in full. We offered another credit card to pay the entire bill but then were told that they would only accept one payment by phone per day and instructed us to go to a currency exchange to pay the balance if we had any hope of getting the electric restored by 6pm, which was the latest time they could possibly accommodate, but we would most likely have no power until Monday 11/1/10.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2010

With ComEd, my electric bill is only $40 - $45 monthly. The delivery charge is $22.09 on top of taxes which is only $3.11. My complaint is that we consumers should not have to pay with half our bill is just in delivery charges, so my total bill is $70 and $22 of that $70 is just in delivery service charge. I think it's crazy that we have to pay that much just in delivery charge for the electric to get to us! What really upsets me is that there's no other company to switch to or compete with ComEd. Someone needs to step in and do something about this delivery service charge that has tripled that ComEd is getting away with.

Original review: May 14, 2010

The electric company for Chicago, IL has hiked up out monthly bill without any notice or proof of increased electricity usage. When asked to have a worker come to our home and read the usage meter they declined and said our monthly bill will continue to be more than 50% above previous bills for that past 20 years. Our monthly bill has averaged the amount of $30-$45 and month for the past 23 years. Now the bill has hiked to over $100 dollars a month without any proof of increased usage.

Original review: May 11, 2010

I contacted Com Ed to have them explain a charge on my bill. The bill states that I had a previous balance of $320.63; total payments of $450.00; the amount due for April 23, 2010 was $124.00. The total current charges for 3/4/10 to 4/1/10 are $40.46. My April KWH usage was 261. I wanted the CS person to explain why I had a bill for $124.86. She went all the way back to November 09 with my payments and bills and tried to explain the bills in several different ways and how this could add up. Every time she tried to explain it and add it up, it never equaled $124.86. Still my previous balance was $320.63 and total payments were $450.00. This means that there is an over payment of $129.14. So why do I owe $124.14?

I was on the phone with her for an hour. After 40 minutes I asked for a manager. I was put on hold several times for long periods of time. The CS person still tried to explain this bill and it did not add up. After an hour I asked again for a manager and Beverly (a trainer) got on the phone. I asked if she was a manager; she said no and that she was a trainer helping the CS person out. I asked her to speak with a manager and she told me they could put in a request and it would take 72 hours before a manager would call me back. I have a bill to shut off my service for $124.86 and they can not explain why.

Original review: April 27, 2010

Com Ed charged $2.17 for electricity supply and for delivery services, $10.38! Total of $13.14. It's just a robbery that may be regarded as economic damage, especially when I'm unemployed and getting help paying for electricity from LIHEAP!

ComEd Company Information