Illinois

3.6/5 (94 ratings)

About ComEd

ComEd Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ComEd?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ComEd?

Original review: April 2, 2020

DO NOT go with COMED at all. They are here to rip you off. They will tell you good things about their services and programs but they will rip you off so easily. Do not sign up for budget Billing program. Your Monthly bill will decrease for the first month and then they will start charging you more and after one year, they will charge you a big amount. This is the worst service that I have ever seen.

Original review: March 17, 2020

I have to say. I went to set up service and needed to verify my identity. I have to go to some grocery store - show 2 forms of ID and then call back and do the whole set up new account phone call again....Do you not have email? No actually they don't...Do you not have identity verification questions....No they do not...what year is this? You make enough money to upgrade with the times....For goodness sake you are the only Electric supply company in Illinois and you are stuck in 1982....Hello it's 1982 calling and they want their technology back, lol!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I canceled my service, calling on November 30th to end December 1st. I paid my final bill on December 16th. Today (1/21/2020) I received a deduction of $213.44 from my bank account. I called and they said they would not refund the money, I would have to ask for the reimbursement through my old apartment or have my old apartment contact them, pay the services and they would reimburse me. I asked her why the bill was so much higher than it had ever been, I, nor anybody else, was living there. She actually said to me "Why would I know? I don't live in that building." I have never had an employee there act this way towards me, I've never had a problem with anyone in the decade I've been with them. I wish I knew her name, she was an all around awful woman.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

Every month I get a notice that it's my last warning before disconnecting my electric. It is obnoxious. This month they are going to disconnect me over a $109.00 Bill that I incurred this month. It's winter so they can't shut it off. Besides that I may just get on a payment plan to give them a hard time like they are me. I'll pay it off later & do the same thing the following time. They want to waste my time & piss me off I'll waste their time and money too.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

It’s the hottest month of the year in Illinois and ComEd cut my power off. (It’s 88 degrees.) I called and the representative said it’s because the bill is past due. Well I called last month and paid the minimum amount on the bill that the representative said was due. Mind you this bill isn’t due until September 26. They couldn’t give me a legitimate reason why the power was cut off. They then went on to say that we sent a disconnection notice in the mail August 23rd and called you twice. We never received a disconnection bill or phone calls from the company. Once again why are you disconnecting the bill and a payment was paid last month and the payment for this month isn’t even due. These people are liars and scammers.

I NEVER RECEIVED A DISCONNECTION NOTICE OR ANY CALLS. The representative even slipped up and said they didn’t have a number on file so how did you attempt to call me if you never had a number on file. You claimed you sent a disconnection notice but yet all I received was the bill for September. An entire business full of liars and scammers.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

Called to cancel my service because I was moving out of state in May 2017. It took 4 different phone calls and speaking with 2 managers to accomplish this. Gave them my new address for any future bills. I received 2 more invoices and paid them both in full. Went to purchase a new car in Aug 2019 - the finance rep said I didn't qualify for the best rate due to 1 collection on my credit report. Everything else on my credit report was excellent.

The 1 collection was from ComEd for $21!!!! When I called ComEd to review my payments and account being closed, it took another 3 calls and 2 more managers to have this resolved. NOW MY CREDIT SCORE IS DOWN 88 POINTS DUE TO A $21 COLLECTION THAT WASN'T EVEN MY ISSUE!!! What I learned - check your credit report at least twice a year and DON'T EVER USE COMED AGAIN!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

ComEd is such a scam. Their customer service is a nightmare, their rates are ridiculous, and their website is comical. I moved out of my DeKalb apartment to my current one in the middle of June, making trips back and forth for a few weeks before cancelling service so I could clean and keep the fridge on. For the less than month and a half I wasn't there, they charged me over $50 total FOR A SINGLE FRIDGE RUNNING and their website telling me I used way over what my neighbors use for electricity! BS. The service charge for PROVIDING the electricity was MORE THAN HALF of the electricity's recorded usage charge. I shouldn't have had to pay more than $20 but since ComEd is so greedy, they charge you for using them.

During my total of 4 years with ComEd, they've had door to door people claiming they're affiliated with them try and take my information and add services on to the ridiculous amount I was already paying. I've gotten letters in the mail telling me I'll be switched to this or that new partner service providing a different source of energy and if I didn't opt out by a certain date with tons of steps to go through, I'd be charged more for this new supplier. ComEd is a scam, a joke, and most of all, greedy. The only electricity company in Northern Illinois and they're abusing it with apathy and price gouging. If I could switch, I would've within the first month of being on my own 4 years ago.

Original review: April 29, 2019

The customer experience with ComEd is a huge waste of time - terrible and outdated - attempting to service online has led to an error every time I’ve tried to do it, when it seems like the process is about to be successful. Customer service has outdated means of verifying your identity. The experience is an incredible waste of time for a service that everyone needs.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I cannot stress this enough, with all the utilities available in the state of Illinois, know your rights. Go to the Illinois commerce commission site and familiarize yourself with your rights as a utility customer. Come ahead will lie to you, or leave out information that does not tell the whole story and not blink an eye. Every representative will tell you a different thing, I don’t know if they need better training or if that is actually how they want it to be. If your bill is incorrect, or your service is not what it is supposed to be, you can file an informal complaint with the Illinois commerce commission and it will stop any disconnections while the matter is being investigated. I will warn you, the person they assign you to to resolve your issue will make it hard, they will only have hours 9 to 5 Monday through Friday, but you can also request to be contacted by email, which they will not tell you.

ComEd will tell you anything that they think will get you to panic and pay them whatever they have asked, whether it is correct or not, even if that is against Illinois law. There is a certain protocol that must be followed. Do you not believe the customer service representatives without checking with the ICC laws first. Carmine's wonderful system “lost” several of our payments, therefore making our due balance ungodly high. I tried to tell me to just pay it and then they would look for the payments, and they will always threaten disconnection. Personally, I think that they should be reviewed and fined for the way they treat people considering they are monopoly.

Original review: April 10, 2019

The customer service along with the supervisors are unwilling to make any sort of exceptions. Power was disconnected due to non-payment. Explained I was under the impression the former resident was paying the bill. Customer Service refused to re-activate unless full amount was rendered. Not even by paying more than 1/2 of balance. Asked for call to be elevated to supervisor, it felt as she was reading from a script and kept repeating herself. Asked for her supervisor and was told I would receive a call back in 48 hours. Meantime, current new resident is without power. The worst customer service I have ever encountered. Thanks Gladys for your poor phone etiquette.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I got a text from ComEd will take the power down at 4 PM to 7 PM on Super Bowl Sunday? The wireless phone companies treat a Super Bowl just like a Mother's Day. I need power to run my sump pump. It's 4:18 and they haven't taken the power down yet.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Ok, we have -16 outside. It is Wednesday the January 30th - the coldest day in history and ComEd decided to turn off the power starting 1:15 pm thru 6 pm due to maintenance repair. Are you guys serious? In the moment when we need power the most you turning the power off for citizen? Let them freeze to death in their homes? Water pipes freeze? WTF people?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Paid bill online through online banking. Payment took the cents as dollars. ComEd didn't question the amount. Snatched it up in a heartbeat. With power outages took them 4 days to get someone to even answer the phone even after it takes you through numerous prompts. When did make contact was told it would take 30 days to refund the money even though it took them seconds to take it.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

They will not allow me to pay off my $1.43 bill. Minimum payments must be $5 but payments can’t be more than total bill. So, I’m forced to let my bill go past due until my next bill comes and exceeds $5?!? All I want to do is pay my bill. I’ve never seen a company so incapable of solving a simple problem and providing a basic level of customer service. Only utility companies get away with this.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

ComEd has fraudulent placed a bill on my account that I don't owe. They are bullying me to pay for services I never had. I got all of my legal documents to prove it wasn't me. I made police reports. I've sent the information they asked for 5 times. No one can find it. I have proof they have it... now they want to cut my lights off. I'm calling my local news tomorrow. This is horrible that this is happening. My name is Theresa **. I'm reporting this in the morning to Channel 7 Fox News and WGN. This is crazy. All the reps are rude... and are of no help. I will not allow ComEd to force me to pay for something that's not mine. They said 45 days this will be taken care of. It's been 90 days and no one will talk to me.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Good evening to all, usually I get a great customer service agent until these past few days. I am on oxygen now so because of all my medical needs my lights & gas cannot be shut off. I am just now getting a monthly income coming in which isn't a lot yet. It will help pay the bills, I also just got put on the life support program ComEd has for people like me. My light bill is due on the 6th yet my money comes on the 7th of the month, so I reached out to the billing dept. They told me things like I should have paid the bill when I got it out the mailbox, that I need to find a way to get the money. I don't understand why I am being told so many different things why they are being rude esp. on the phone. I just want them to know that I will have the money on the 7th the day after it's due and that it will be paid before 6 pm. Please don't kick me off the program and please don't shut off my lights. I need my lights.

Can you please teach your customer service people to stop being rude to people esp. us who are not being rude to them, this world has a lot of crazy people out here. Treat us the same way you will like to be treated. Also can you please tell us the right answer for this when we pay our bills at an agent. How long does it take for ComEd to get it and post it to our account. Also for people who are on the life support program for the very 1st bill only can we please get a grace period to pay it as well as adding in the day it will be posted on the account. Or just giving us a grace period to pay it. I really don't care how long it takes you to put it on my bill, I just want to make sure you have it before shutting my lights off. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME, ESP FOR READING THIS BOOK. As you can see by this long review I am very serious about paying my bills on time now.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

Never have I had worse customer service in my life! I got a call this morning that said my service was due to be disconnected due to non-payment. I am set up with auto pay through their website! I contacted my bank ALL of my payments have been made, I went to my account page on your website says I am all paid up. But I got a call from a Jhon **, who said I had to pay 400.00 within 45 minutes to keep my service, I told him "I am a business, I have received no letters from you, if you take my power away it will cost me greatly!!" He didn't give a crap, I told him I will go online and pay, he said no it had to be paid through some stupid Bitcoin vending machine, I went WAY out of my way to 2 different locations, with him online talking me through the process, and him having me talk to 3 different tech support people, keeping me talking for more than 2 hours.

He said since It didn't work he had no choice but to disconnect, I pleaded with him, and yes got angry at him, this was ridiculous, I made all of my payments. A few minutes later someone saying he was a manager called me and said if I made a payment right NOW, he will give me 2 months service credit. At this Point, I have been late to work and left work twice to take care a problem that was NOT my fault, I paid my bill! I got back to the original guy, Jhon **, he said he found a way to give me to Monday to get to a Kiosk and pay a bill I didn't owe! Then I was transferred back (Yes it was as bad as it sounds!!) to the other guy who started to threaten me, but then said he would give me till Monday as well, 3 hours later! And still if you look at your own website it shows my account as current!

Then it gets worse, I called back to ask this John ** if I could make an extra payment at a currency exchange, but he is gone for the day and some tool named Thomas ** answers, would NOT let me explain what happened, all he did was threaten me. I told him I was at work, he didn't care, he told me to leave NOW, drive to yet another kiosk, pay this bill, I tried, and I tried to explain to him it was impossible, I have spent 3 hours of my workday getting hassled, he kept threatening me, every time I tried to talk, he would say "If you talk again I will hang up, pay it today or I can keep your service off for weeks"...

Finally I could not take any more, tried again to explain, and he hung up on me. Thomas ** is really the person you have managing your company? All he kept telling me was that he was the GM, what anyone else told me did not matter, he was god, would not be reasonable at ALL. If this really is your example of customer service, WOW. I once again went on your website, it shows MY bill is current. PLEASE advise.

Original review: May 2, 2018

We had our electricity disconnected today to our surprise. Received no notice. Yesterday received bill dated for 5/9. Was paying it on Friday. Called and talked to representative. Because it was disconnected, they need the entire balance plus all the fees paid. Was sent to get assistance for liheap due to being out of work and receiving treatments for cancer. Went to their offices. I was told by the Community Connects Inc that my paperwork was given to the rep and they would contact me by 4 pm to see if we qualified for assistance. Same thing the ComEd rep said to me. They said there was no reason that we couldn't have it turned back on later today. Well, liheap sucks.

No one called me, so my children, husband and I sit in a dark house, trying to get homework done, I am not feeling well after my treatment today. We are embarrassed, feel like there is NO true help anywhere, and have lost all faith in fair and ethical practices in business. If I had received a notice, we wouldn't be sitting here in the dark. It would have been taken care of. ComEd told me that it is the USMail's fault... Really? How about a phone call or something? No follow through, just complete monopoly that doesn't truly care about anyone. And another reviewer is right. These smart meters are not very smart. Our numbers from "readings" have been all over the place. Smh.... SCAM!

Original review: March 4, 2018

All my ComEd bills show previous and present usage from my Smart Meter readings. The last 2 bills one for $258 and the most current for $151 do not show "Previous" and "Present" meter readings, but show a difference of 2500KWh and 1800KWh. I will not be paying as they have showed no proof of what my meter was before and what it was when read. For all they or I know it moved 1KWh for the month.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Commonwealth Edison is the only company that offers rate changes with option to lessen your bill on peak days. That works when you turn electricity off between certain hours throughout the day!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

ComEd is excellent. Easy to use to pay your bill with 2-3 ways to choose from. They installed the Smart meter and it is cool because they not only offer ways to cut down but the best during the summer months, they offer you $20 off your monthly bill if you agree to allow them to cycle down your AC for 1 hr, you don't even notice it. How's that for service?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

They make a strong effort to keep the community safe during storms and keep the power on even in the worst of times. Recent winds made it necessary to cut down some trees that were too close to power lines and homes, and they were proactive in getting it done.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I signed the lease on my current residence in February but didn't actually move in until March. Imagine my surprise when I received a bill over $300 when there was nobody here and I only came in during the day to bring small boxes which fit in my truck. This continued to happen even though the house does not have electric heat. It is gas. I also have no A/C in the house so when warmer months rolled around, I still couldn't understand why I was consistently receiving bills over $300. I kept calling to figure out why my bill was so high especially during the month no one was living here. I tried twice to have someone come out and evaluate the home. They canceled due to the technician "being sick" both times so I was frustrated into forgetting about it as the rest of life happened. I believe I called 1 or 2 more times but was treated rudely so I just stopped trying.

In June, it started to get hot so I had plugged in several fans throughout the house. I was afraid what this was going to do to my electric bill. All of a sudden, my bill was $39 and so has lingered right around that same amount. I can't help but think I was severely overcharged considering we now use more electricity than we have in the past months living here. They have yet to acknowledge any wrong doing or oversight on their part.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

They claim these new digital meters are to save energy and lower your bill but this is a total scam! Since they replaced my meter my bills have been getting higher and higher each month. When they installed it they did not do a good job because the actual meter has been falling slowly but since it's in a box which the box is on the outside wall the box must be holding it from completely falling over. I have called ComEd and was told that it is my responsibility to get an electrician and pay for it for something that ComEd failed to properly install. Why? Because the meter is in my box... really? I had no problems with the old meter that was there for many years prior to them tampering with it and replacing this "new meter".

Original review: July 5, 2017

Been two weeks. Call ComEd everyday about what going on with service, I moved in my new place. Been 2 weeks and half still have no lights. Food all spoiled since they told me be turned on 2 days still no service, me and my family going through hard times cuz this, I don't know what do no more. Call ComEd keep getting same response, me and my family can believe they're no help for what we are going through right now cuz ComEd. We lost over $700 dollars these last two weeks, try do under my dad name still no help...

Original review: Nov. 21, 2016

So, I'll admit we made the mistake of closing our checking account during our out of state move. It was a confusing move and we were trying to make sure we didn't forget anything. This caused the final bill to Com Ed to be returned. We received the Returned Payment notification in the mail at the new address, so I called Com Ed and paid the final bill by debit card. Next thing I know we're getting collection notices in the mail. I check my account and see where the final payment came out of my checking account so I'm a little confused. THEN the collections company starts calling.

They are of NO help, they just demand money but can't tell you what it's for. Why would I pay more money towards a final bill that I already paid? Long story short, apparently there were NSF charges we didn't know about, and Com Ed didn't contact us regarding those, and the Com Ed person I paid the "Final Bill" with didn't indicate there were these additional fees. How are you suppose to pay something you're not aware of? They tagged my husband's credit report with this delinquent payment. I don't think that's very fair. If you're telling me I'm paying the final bill, and I'm PAYING the final bill, don't add more fees on the back end without notifying the account holder.

Resolution response: Feb. 23, 2017

Comed followed up further on billing issue and corrected incorrect billing.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2016

I was moving to Chicago to rental apartment. While moving to rental apartment we were requested to create Com Ed account online for electricity bill. We tried to register for account online but registration failed after providing personal information. Com Ed customer service requested to visit to office on following business day. By that time landlord changed the apartment no we are suppose to move. We went to Com Ed office and created account for new apartment no.

After 3 months I received notification from office about bill for apartment on my name where I never stayed. I called Com Ed customer service to report the issue. Customer service told me that they don't care about technical issues happened online. They just see that apartment is billed on my name and insist me to pay the bill or contact landlord. I told them as registration was failed you never got my email/phone on contact. I never received any bills. This was technical issue with Com Ed and they should follow up with landlord. Later stage customer service became rude & pushing back on me to go & sort out between landlord. As per customer care Com Ed can bill anyone without giving them notification about successful account creation.

Original review: July 13, 2016

When I signed up for an account online, I had to then link my electric account to my login. When I tried to do this, I got to the account number line, didn't know what it was. Took a wild guess and entered my ComEd number. It didn't recognize it, and so I contacted the live chat. She informed me there was no email linked with my account and that was why I couldn't set it up. This made no sense to me. I set up the initial account (using my email) just fine and was able to log in. I was able to access the "add account" button to link my electric account. Everything was working fine and I simply didn't have my account number. She changed my account password, I was booted out of the account. I received no email saying my password had been changed. I clicked "forgot password" and it said it sent an email to me. I didn't get one. I asked the chat agent why. She said I would be unable to access the account for 48 hours while they work on it.

Wait, what? What needs to be worked on? It was all going along fine and I needed only my account number to link the account to my login! She told me they use ComEd account number, and I asked why mine wasn't recognized then. She repeated that it was because I had no email on file. This I just don't understand. What does my email address have ANYTHING to do with my account number. The form I was filling out to add the account didn't even ask for an email. It simply wanted the account number, which I did not have. She said the system wouldn't "allow" me to add the account without an email. But it never asked for one, and I registered with one in the first place, so I told her I just didn't get it. The problem was never an email, it was simply me not knowing my own account number.

When I asked why it needed an email to recognize my account number - and pointed out that I used an email address to sign up - she said my problem was forward to IT to add the account and I would be emailed in 48 hours. Then she ended the chat. I can't log in now, nor can I request a new password. Still not sure of my account number. Still don't get it. The account exists. What does email have to do with it. Never gave me my account number, just said "we use ComEd account". Not sure why mine wasn't recognized, unless they do NOT use ComEd numbers. Don't know why she couldn't just type it out for me, I'd have had the account added by now.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2015

My account is up to date. I did not pay my ComEd bill on October 12th as I had medical bills that took priority. On October 24th I received notice of disconnection. I hate to see what my late charges will be.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2015

On Friday, August 14, 2015, Kevin, a ComEd service technician inspected the meter for my unit, which is one of four units in the building. Kevin found that my meter had been connected to the power source for an adjacent unit, and that the meter for that unit had been connected to the power source for my unit, since the time the building was constructed in February, 2008. I moved into my unit in March, 2008, which means I've lived in my unit for 7 years, 5 months before the issue was caught. The current owners of the adjacent unit moved into their unit in May, 2008, which is 7 years 3 months.

I asked for restitution for all 7 years, 3 months, but ComEd took the position that unless I had bills and statements showing what I paid beyond a two-year look-back period (which would be back only to September, 2013, which I did not have), they would only reconcile two years of payments and reconcile whatever balance or credit I was due. It was stated to me they were liable only for two years, according to State law (c.f., 83 IL Adm Code 280.110 (b)(g)). When a correction was made and the actual data for my usage became available to me online in late August, the data shows my usage was significantly below the usage of the other unit, between 40-80% lower over a month by month comparison! My situation is not uncommon.

ComEd Company Information