2. Homeowners

Illinois

4.0/5 (183 ratings)

About ComEd

ComEd Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ComEd?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ComEd?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

ComEd is such a scam. Their customer service is a nightmare, their rates are ridiculous, and their website is comical. I moved out of my DeKalb apartment to my current one in the middle of June, making trips back and forth for a few weeks before cancelling service so I could clean and keep the fridge on. For the less than month and a half I wasn't there, they charged me over $50 total FOR A SINGLE FRIDGE RUNNING and their website telling me I used way over what my neighbors use for electricity! BS. The service charge for PROVIDING the electricity was MORE THAN HALF of the electricity's recorded usage charge. I shouldn't have had to pay more than $20 but since ComEd is so greedy, they charge you for using them.

During my total of 4 years with ComEd, they've had door to door people claiming they're affiliated with them try and take my information and add services on to the ridiculous amount I was already paying. I've gotten letters in the mail telling me I'll be switched to this or that new partner service providing a different source of energy and if I didn't opt out by a certain date with tons of steps to go through, I'd be charged more for this new supplier. ComEd is a scam, a joke, and most of all, greedy. The only electricity company in Northern Illinois and they're abusing it with apathy and price gouging. If I could switch, I would've within the first month of being on my own 4 years ago.

Original review: April 29, 2019

The customer experience with ComEd is a huge waste of time - terrible and outdated - attempting to service online has led to an error every time I’ve tried to do it, when it seems like the process is about to be successful. Customer service has outdated means of verifying your identity. The experience is an incredible waste of time for a service that everyone needs.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I cannot stress this enough, with all the utilities available in the state of Illinois, know your rights. Go to the Illinois commerce commission site and familiarize yourself with your rights as a utility customer. Come ahead will lie to you, or leave out information that does not tell the whole story and not blink an eye. Every representative will tell you a different thing, I don’t know if they need better training or if that is actually how they want it to be. If your bill is incorrect, or your service is not what it is supposed to be, you can file an informal complaint with the Illinois commerce commission and it will stop any disconnections while the matter is being investigated. I will warn you, the person they assign you to to resolve your issue will make it hard, they will only have hours 9 to 5 Monday through Friday, but you can also request to be contacted by email, which they will not tell you.

ComEd will tell you anything that they think will get you to panic and pay them whatever they have asked, whether it is correct or not, even if that is against Illinois law. There is a certain protocol that must be followed. Do you not believe the customer service representatives without checking with the ICC laws first. Carmine's wonderful system “lost” several of our payments, therefore making our due balance ungodly high. I tried to tell me to just pay it and then they would look for the payments, and they will always threaten disconnection. Personally, I think that they should be reviewed and fined for the way they treat people considering they are monopoly.

Original review: April 10, 2019

The customer service along with the supervisors are unwilling to make any sort of exceptions. Power was disconnected due to non-payment. Explained I was under the impression the former resident was paying the bill. Customer Service refused to re-activate unless full amount was rendered. Not even by paying more than 1/2 of balance. Asked for call to be elevated to supervisor, it felt as she was reading from a script and kept repeating herself. Asked for her supervisor and was told I would receive a call back in 48 hours. Meantime, current new resident is without power. The worst customer service I have ever encountered. Thanks Gladys for your poor phone etiquette.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I got a text from ComEd will take the power down at 4 PM to 7 PM on Super Bowl Sunday? The wireless phone companies treat a Super Bowl just like a Mother's Day. I need power to run my sump pump. It's 4:18 and they haven't taken the power down yet.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Ok, we have -16 outside. It is Wednesday the January 30th - the coldest day in history and ComEd decided to turn off the power starting 1:15 pm thru 6 pm due to maintenance repair. Are you guys serious? In the moment when we need power the most you turning the power off for citizen? Let them freeze to death in their homes? Water pipes freeze? WTF people?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Paid bill online through online banking. Payment took the cents as dollars. ComEd didn't question the amount. Snatched it up in a heartbeat. With power outages took them 4 days to get someone to even answer the phone even after it takes you through numerous prompts. When did make contact was told it would take 30 days to refund the money even though it took them seconds to take it.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

They will not allow me to pay off my $1.43 bill. Minimum payments must be $5 but payments can’t be more than total bill. So, I’m forced to let my bill go past due until my next bill comes and exceeds $5?!? All I want to do is pay my bill. I’ve never seen a company so incapable of solving a simple problem and providing a basic level of customer service. Only utility companies get away with this.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

ComEd has fraudulent placed a bill on my account that I don't owe. They are bullying me to pay for services I never had. I got all of my legal documents to prove it wasn't me. I made police reports. I've sent the information they asked for 5 times. No one can find it. I have proof they have it... now they want to cut my lights off. I'm calling my local news tomorrow. This is horrible that this is happening. My name is Theresa **. I'm reporting this in the morning to Channel 7 Fox News and WGN. This is crazy. All the reps are rude... and are of no help. I will not allow ComEd to force me to pay for something that's not mine. They said 45 days this will be taken care of. It's been 90 days and no one will talk to me.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Good evening to all, usually I get a great customer service agent until these past few days. I am on oxygen now so because of all my medical needs my lights & gas cannot be shut off. I am just now getting a monthly income coming in which isn't a lot yet. It will help pay the bills, I also just got put on the life support program ComEd has for people like me. My light bill is due on the 6th yet my money comes on the 7th of the month, so I reached out to the billing dept. They told me things like I should have paid the bill when I got it out the mailbox, that I need to find a way to get the money. I don't understand why I am being told so many different things why they are being rude esp. on the phone. I just want them to know that I will have the money on the 7th the day after it's due and that it will be paid before 6 pm. Please don't kick me off the program and please don't shut off my lights. I need my lights.

Can you please teach your customer service people to stop being rude to people esp. us who are not being rude to them, this world has a lot of crazy people out here. Treat us the same way you will like to be treated. Also can you please tell us the right answer for this when we pay our bills at an agent. How long does it take for ComEd to get it and post it to our account. Also for people who are on the life support program for the very 1st bill only can we please get a grace period to pay it as well as adding in the day it will be posted on the account. Or just giving us a grace period to pay it. I really don't care how long it takes you to put it on my bill, I just want to make sure you have it before shutting my lights off. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME, ESP FOR READING THIS BOOK. As you can see by this long review I am very serious about paying my bills on time now.

ComEd Company Information