Houston, TX

2.4/5 (515 ratings)

About CenterPoint Energy

CenterPoint Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenterPoint Energy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenterPoint Energy?

Original review: April 1, 2022

Our electric company is great and tried to work with us to lower our costs. The fees charges extra costs from CenterPoint don’t seem reasonable and they don’t cover anything. The fees are at least 50% of my bill last time I checked. Please REDUCE extra fees, charges so I don’t have find something else to cut out/back on. Basically if I STOP using all electric all month my bill will still be about $100 depending on time of year.

Original review: March 18, 2022

It’s unconscionable to wait over 40 minutes each time one calls one of the phone numbers and never ever gets a live person. CenterPoint never contacts people within 10 business days, which is what the reps at TXU tells us when we call to complain. If one puts in a meter reading request—which is not free—at the very least we should be notified of the date and time of occurrence and the results. At the very least we should be sent a copy of the report. TXU disclaims and says those requests go through Centerpoint. Centerpoint never answers nor do they follow up with a customer or provide requested info indicating we need to get it from TXU. Neither one provides anything, both go around in circles, both are quick to charge for their services and neither provides the requested information or answer. So easy to say they are not responsible for anything, and never do anything but yet, you both get paid?

Horrific customer service. It’s non-existent and Centerpoint takes the crown in lack of follow through, unnecessary and longer than usual wait times no matter what time of day or season—like with the fees you get per user, pay a friggin' rep to do their job instead of disclaiming—and learn the meaning of customer satisfaction when you actually provide good service.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 16, 2022

Put a stop service request when selling my house. Still getting billed for service. Awful customer service. Stay away from the company if you can. Do not but sucks sucks sucks. I will never work with them again. You rip people off. You suck.

Original review: March 3, 2022

I don't appreciate the fact you give people the opportunity to pay online but every single time I go online there is an issue with the Payment site. Either all the fields are not populating or it stops working in the middle of entering my information which makes me feel like this is a scam. When people go online they're trying to pay you idiots and get it over with. I don't wanna give you $300 but I have to Because I have to heat my home it's bad enough you sold the company to somebody else and marked up our bills 42% which is complete robbery robbery. The least you can do is make sure the website works on all platforms. People don't have time to get on the phone and call and wait that's why people pay bills online. Fix this problem please.

Original review: March 2, 2022

It has taken days to setup service with this company, as they never answer the phones and when you finally speak with someone they are unsympathetic and ask for the information to be completed online. Very frustrating!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2022

CenterPoint Energy provides the WORST, mediocre service you could ever imagine. They broker with third party plumbers and service contractors to do the job. We are on day 3 without our main drain being unclogged due to tree roots. We pay for an emergency drain cleaning service, but that has proved to be useless since they won't come out!

They had A-1 Emergency Rooter in Stillwater, MN to come out Friday night and the tech said their machine was too big to fit through the door, so he said they will get something in the books for the next day (yesterday) to get someone who has the break apart machine. We had an 8am-4pm window and just in case we've called CenterPoint several times during the day to make sure someone was still coming out. Finally, one of the representatives said "Yeah not sure how you managed to get an 8-4 window. They usually come out between 7am-11pm.". So now we waited on day 2 only to find out at the last minute (around 7:30pm) that we were never in the schedule to begin with! And at this point, it wasn't even with A-1 anymore, it was with "DC"?

So now they said they'd call us back this morning to get something scheduled (SURPRISE! They never did.). I called CenterPoint back again and now we're back to square one, finding a plumber to come out today to fix the main drain that SHOULD'VE been fixed on Friday! After this main drain cleaning service, we are reconsidering the "Home Service Plus" coverage, because the representatives and contractors are USELESS and the service is a WASTE OF MONEY!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

I called CenterPoint Energy to express my concerns about my high gas bill. My bill was roughly $300 which is extremely high. My thermostat is set to 73-75 and I use electric heaters in my home. I was not understanding why my bill was so high and thus called customer service. The CS rep was a guy who was rude and hung up on me when I asked if someone could come out to re-read my meter. He was not trying to be of service at all. CPE is awful as this is not my first time having issues; I wish there was another company option. I do not recommend this company. I would give 0 stars.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

I hooked up gas at a temporary basis on a rent house I was repairing. Somehow Centerpoint associated my father's name with my account. Never mind that he has been dead for 10+ years and had absolutely nothing to do with this house. Centerpoint sent me a check for $34 they owed me in my father's name. All other correspondence, including bills, I had received was in my name. After holding for 50 minutes, they go on to tell me there is nothing they can do. I ask for a supervisor who then hangs up on me. No one bothers to call me back. And I'm not spending another hour plus with these clowns. WORLD's WORSE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

Center Point has been the best customer service, and pricing for years and is the number one gas and electric provider to Texans for years. They also offer many coverages for gas, water and electric lines inside and outside your home. They also offer discounts for buy in energy saving devices.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

Centerpoint has acknowledged they have issues in reliability of their grid for years at this point with not one single step taken to improve this. After 14 Houstonians were left dead from last year's Winter storm our power has gone out 8+ times within the last 30 days. If another storm were to hit tomorrow, there'd be scores more. Centerpoint refuses to credit our account and is unwilling to go through with claims as they'll say every reliability issue is due to a "weather event" even when none are present at the time of loss of service. Centerpoint is happy to let more Texans die as long as they keep their bottom line. They are here to profit off of Texans inability to select another company as their service delivery methods.

It's already criminal that the power grid in Texas is not publicly owned as Centerpoint benefits from government subsidies and gets our tax dollars only to provide services that are the bare minimum. They are driven only by profit, and they have no incentives to improve the reliability of our grid as that would require them to dip into their profit margins. Again, Centerpoint has blood on their hands. They've willingly killed Texans before and will continue to do so until they're forced to be a publicly owned utility.

They've been operating in Texas for years, and somehow they aren't prepared for hot summers and the occasional winter storm? The winter storm took all Texas by surprise to be sure, but requesting Houstonians turn their ACs to 80 degrees in the middle of the summer like Texas doesn't always get this hot? It's a laughable service. They have the audacity to raise everyone's prices and refuse to provide any improvements from these price increases. Absolute vultures only looking to profit off of Texans, doesn't matter how many die as a result of their incompetence at best or apathy at worst. Centerpoint needs to be dealt with NOW.

CenterPoint Energy Company Information