1.07/5

Need a utility company?

Houston, TX

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

240 CenterPoint Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Don't let these people in! They come to the door and make it seem like they work for your current energy provider and you have no choice. They are pushy and slick. I had to move and they are pursuing me for fake "cancellation" fees, threatening and adding late fees to a non existent balance owed. These people are con artists. I wish I could give them zero stars, but at least one star is required.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I sent this to CenterPoint today: Today I cancelled all of my HSP Services. I pay $64 monthly for the coverage. I have a refrigerator with a freezer that doesn't work and I have to buy a new one but you won't cover it. I have been paying for HSP for over 20 years on my home. 10 years on my duplex. I'm amazed that you are treating me in this fashion. Xcel has the same coverage, but cheaper and a more lenient policy. They apparently value long term customers more than CenterPoint.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

How you schedule someone then call but only let the phone ring 2 times. Person calls back bout it wind up being the automatic line so you don't get to talk to no one for like 20 mins. While you on phone with automatic line you call back again hanging up before customer answer phone then gonna say you get 2 calls then, "We cancel your appointment." Y'all not even worth 1⭐ and should take y'all ** back to Houston and leave Mississippi.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I bought this water heater, Model # XG50T09HE40U0 that comes with a 0.64 UEF rating. If you follow this link ** and scroll down to this Model #, you will see that it has a 0.64 UEF rating. However, this is the response I get from their Rebate Center, "According to AHRI (Air-Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration Institute) and/or ENERGY STAR website your water heater does not meet the minimum efficiency standard of .64." I realize they don't want to pay but they could have at least tried to make-up a better lie. This one was easy to prove false. Monopolies must be nice.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I have to say that CenterPoint has been hands down the absolute worst company to have to deal with! I could literally sit here all day and speak of COUNTLESS instances where they have been horrible to me as a customer, charged me ridiculous fees, given me TWELVE hour window times, TWELVE HOURS, and then they didn't even show!!! I LOATHE THIS COMPANY. They are the epitome of shady business practices and terrible service! HANDS DOWN THE WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenterPoint Energy?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Absolute worst service and customer service. They are a very deceitful company that need to lock you into a contract to maintain customers. I paid the $100 early termination fee just to be sure to get out of the contract and not give them another penny of my money!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I live in Minnesota. Recently I received second bill that was past due, I checked my bank, it showed the bank had sent the e-check both month (July-Aug). I called the bank, said my CenterPoint account was missing one #, compare to my bill statement. So I called CenterPoint again, Jonie was on the line. After she listen to my story she was able to figure out the money has gone to different account, that was not mine. Thank you very much for helping me. You make my day.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

We need to bring a class action lawsuit against CENTERPOINT. My home was flooded last year and basically totaled completely. FEMA didn't help... homeowner's Ins didn't help... I had just purchased the home a few months before the flood and I didn't realize the area could flood so badly. They had told me it flooded the year before but that was a "freak occurrence" and probably wouldn't happen again for 100 years... Well it happened and my home took in over 9 feet of water this time. The ceilings caved in and everything was lost. I am a single mom with 3 kids living with me and we have been trying to put the house back ourselves by our own HANDS and our own means which isn't much. So, I started a new job and switched my bank accounts so I would have the same bank as my employer and get my pay 2 days in advance.. and forgot to set up reminders with the new bank account.

So yesterday I see this "guy" sneaking into my backyard on the far side of my house near the woods where I have several things still stored because I can't put them back in the house yet. Why he didn't walk normally into my yard and go between my house and my neighbors WHERE THE GAS METER IS, I don't know and is very suspect since he chose to go out of his way to NOT BE SEEN and go where NO ONE COULD SEE HIM looking thru my personal belongings. Any way, one of my kids saw him and the dogs were barking like crazy so I asked him what was he doing? He said he was there to shut off my gas. I was shocked and thought he made a mistake at first, until I realized I had switched bank accounts and no longer had my reminders. So I immediately made the payment and received a confirmation number while he was checking his paperwork to make sure it was the right house.

Even AFTER I MADE THE PAYMENT and HAD THE CONFIRMATION NUMBER (FOR a whopping $32.64). He said, "Sorry I have to shut it off anyway." I said, "I just paid it!!! There's no balance! Here's the confirmation number..." He called his supervisor and his supervisor said, "Call customer service and have them schedule a reconnect..." I SAID "WHAT! ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? It's NOT DISCONNECTED YET!!!" HE SAID WE STILL HAVE TO DISCONNECT IT! When I tried to explain that there was no balance, he said it was policy. I'm not the kind of person who would EVER bring up the subject of "RACE" but in this case it was the only thing that was different. Come to find out one of my daughter's friends (who was here when all this was going on) almost had their gas turned off an hour before us and they live near the front of the neighborhood.

She said her mom went outside and talked to the "guy" and he waited in his truck for a bit then left WITHOUT turning the gas off! The only difference was I am ** and they are **. Seems kind of suspicious since The technician was ** and his supervisor is ** as well. I'm ** and my bill was actually a few dollars LESS than their's was... (I called her mom to check it out and see if this was really true). She said she told him she had completely forgot that it was due with getting the kids ready for school and all and to hold on a sec. She paid her bill...told him the confirmation number and off he went..with NO DISCONNECT! But ME... He said there was nothing he could do and even though I had a confirmation number as well... he shut me off. I called customer service HIGHLY PO'd and talked to someone in Minneapolis.

They said they would get my gas back on today and the only thing that needed to be done was someone 18 or older to be in the home. I said, "Ok." We waited and waited... (there were 6 of us in the home plus 3 dogs who bark at ANYONE who pulls up in the driveway)... and then I get a notification at 8:00 PM telling me the reconnect was CANCELLED because there was no adult at the home!!! My kids first day of school was today and they had to go without taking a hot bath. I was and am FURIOUS! I called Centerpoint this morning and they said they could connect it for free tomorrow but if I wanted it connected today I would have to pay almost $50.00! I said, "HELL NO... ya'll lied and said you came yesterday and an adult wasn't here and there were 3 adults here!!!" So I talk to a supervisor who said she has a description of my house that the technician put in his notes that verifies he was there...

So she starts describing my house according to the so called "Technician" and she mentions my "GARAGE"... I tell her... "No, I don't have a garage and haven't had one since I bought the house last year!" Turns out...using GOOGLE MAPS street view it shows a garage because it was there BEFORE the last flood and the past owners had it removed and replaced with a regular door when they remodeled it!!! SO HE LIED and I HAVE PROOF THAT THIS COMPANY IS NOTHING BUT A CROOKED SCAM!!! WE NEED A LAWYER because GOD KNOWS how many people they have scammed like this!!!

Original review: July 31, 2018

This company knows it's the only choice we have in Houston for gas. I'm on a very fixed income and my gas has been cut off. When I called they gave me the fee that I needed to pay but when I got ready to make the payment they asked for another fee of $49 for it to be cut on the same day. The bill was only $33 and after the fee are added it'll be over $200 just to get them back on. This is ridiculous and something needs to be done about this extortion. Why are they able to get away with this? I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY TO ANYBODY.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I am like most others who are forced to use CenterPoint Energy for their gas service due to the monopoly they possess as a result of having no competition. I live in MS and the corrupt office of CenterPoint Energy is in Houston so speaking to someone face to face is not an option. I had an incident with CenterPoint Energy in March of 2016 when the company was updating the online payment system (the inadequate online payment system) while attempting to make a past due payment that I overlooked. I knew it had to be paid quickly to avoid their favorite service of shutting you off (so they can collect all of the extra fees). So while I attempted to make a 47$ payment, their inadequate online payment system was having a glitch, I thought, where each time I entered payment info and pressed the "submit button" I received an error message of "we're sorry this page cannot be found".

I attempted this transaction "7" separate times in March 2016 receiving the same error message until finally the eighth attempt went through successfully (so I thought). I thought no more of it until a few days later I had been shut off and told I would need to pay the past due payment along with a "$40 dollar RETURNED PAYMENT FEE FOR EACH TIME I PRESSED THE SUBMIT BUTTON" which was 7 times... Then they so kindly informed me I would also need to pay an extra $150 to add to the deposit they received ten years ago when I began gas service with them so they could "PROTECT THEMSELVES", but "wait" that's not all... I also was informed I'd need to pay an 80$ reconnect fee. Yes!!!

First off, how in the heck can a payment be RETURNED, when it was NEVER PRESENTED FOR PAYMENT to begin with? You tell me the answer and we'll both know! So after being forced to pay the bogus fees which were astronomical in my opinion, I have so patiently waited since March of 2016 for this fine business to attempt ripping me off again and to my surprise it finally happened last week. Your gonna LOVE this story!!! I am sure many of you know after having "RETURNED PAYMENTS" at CenterPoint Energy they will only allow you to make a payment through a debit card or a credit card and you are not able to enter a checking account number or use a check period. You are only given the option on the online payment site to use a debit or credit card. It's the only options given in the drop down menu. I have used the exact same debit card that I have used to make my payment since March of 2016 with no issues.

Month after month a successful payment through my debit card linked to the EXACT SAME BANK ACCOUNT I have used since 1988. I do not have "1" RETURNED PAYMENT charge or insufficient funds fee through my bank since I opened my account. Although I have several returned payment fees thru CenterPoint Energy, go figure right? I am entirely too frugal to waste money by paying fees from insufficient funds. So here we go, I received an email showing my CenterPoint Energy bill was ready to view, print or pay. I opened the email on July 2, 2018. I had a bill for $36.26 with a due date of July 23, 2018. Notice the dates I use. This was not a past due amount, it was a current bill due on July 23, 2018.

I made my payment through the online service that I sign in and use every month, I submitted the full payment $36.26 along with the $2.75 charge for using the online service on "July 2, 2018". I made the payment at the time I opened the email on July 2, 2018. I used the EXACT SAME DEBIT CARD entered the total amount due and received a payment successful message and I also received a payment confirmation email. I thought no more about it, until I received a friendly letter in the mail on July 7, 2018 informing me that I am being charged $40 that will be added to my past due bill. The reason for this $40 BOGUS FEE is a result of "ACCOUNT NOT FOUND OR UNABLE TO LOCATE."

Let's keep in mind I am not given the option to enter a checking account number, routing number or allowed to use a checking account whatsoever. I have a friendly reminder that has appeared on my online account since March of 2016 that states "due to multiple RETURNED PAYMENTS you only have the option to make a payment through a debit card or a credit card." I sent an email to CenterPoint stating that I was sure they made a mistake because I have used the same method of payment for 2 and a half years with no issues. I received a response that they were not waiving the fee, it was my mistake.

I filed a complaint with the BBB (first time for me) and waited a few days when I received a response where CenterPoint Energy falsified a document saying I entered the incorrect routing number for the checking account I used... So fee would not be waived. They FALSIFIED A LEGAL DOCUMENT and they entered the INCORRECT date on their false document saying I entered payment on July 1, 2018. I responded with the unaltered documents to show who was the LIAR! I am now waiting on the response to that!!! I will update when I receive it! Unbelievable!!

Original review: June 21, 2018

I had a new furnace installed as mine was 25 years old (1993). I had been told that there was a rebate program. In Texas that is not true... if you live in Minnesota you get rebates... not Texas... also several other states. If CenterPoint is so dedicated to saving energy, why do they not offer rebates in Texas. I spoke with one lady around June 14 and she said I had to go online. What a merry-go-round. There are rebates for the contractors installing the systems, which they are paid handsomely for. But nothing for the customers that are paying thousands of dollars for the system. Shame on you CenterPoint for not caring about your customers that pay you monthly. You are the only gas company in town so I guess I am stuck. And What do you have against Texas? I spoke with Samea today, June 21st and she verified there are no rebates for the state of Texas or any of their customers.

Original review: June 7, 2018

They lied and said they called for set up. We called back. Said we had proof of no call per phone and our phone co. They called us liars and refused to have our service turned on same day without a fee. I would be willing now to pay the fee if we missed the call but now just the point they called me a liar and would not take responsibility for their error makes me not want to give them any more money. I can't switch because they have monopolized the gas line. I see they have a horrible review history. Figures when you know you suckers I mean customers can't choose another company. Keep up the great customer service guys!!!

Original review: June 1, 2018

It is always a frustrating experience dealing with CenterPoint. They are a monopoly and they know you have no other option. If they had any competition they would be out of business. Their behavior is such that they feel THEY are the customer doing us a favor. They will not give you any specifics, only general information. Forget getting an actual date scheduled. "Weather permitting, we should be out there in approximately 7 business days. We have a note in your file saying IF POSSIBLE call before coming." So they are so inept they cannot even promise to at least call so I can go unlock the gate since no one is on site.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Dissatisfied is not a strong enough word to describe my disgust for Center Point Energy Natural Gas Service. They are quick to cut you off but VERY Slow to reconnect. I have used this company for a number of years and always paid my bills online. They cut off my gas yesterday due to an oversight on my part. I did not realize I had a bill overdue. They contacted me by snail mail regarding the cutoff apparently; but I primarily don't look at Snail Mail anymore because of EMAIL. They DID NOT contact me by email or phone or the problem would have been corrected immediately. They did not attempt to call me or Email me... (They have the contact information.) ONLY, after the cutoff happened, they decided to contact me by Email, they then began with the Extortion.

Service Reconnect Fee and A NEW security Deposit. I just learned, They will reconnect not when I paid all that today but next Tuesday. Oh get this, they will wait four days (After the Memorial Day weekend) to reconnect. Can't get reconnected today, they EMAIL ME, unless I pay an additional $47 for their priority service. Who put the MAFIA in charge of our Natural Gas Service? I wish another choice was available to us, a lot of us are considering other alternatives...

Original review: May 16, 2018

Every time I call this company, they are rude. Twice "over several years" I have had crazy high bills, not consistent with normal cycle usage, and no reason to justify anywhere near the usage rate, nothing changed, other than my bill. They don't care, no explanation. They say "We will send someone to reread the meter." I never hear back and when I call they say the meter is correct. Once I called to try to get the billing cycle changed to accommodate when I pay bills, no - they don't accommodate customers. If you work for this company you can do better, be a better person. If you are a good person, you would not work for a company that has such bad reviews.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I had my gas cut off for being late. So when I paid it a few days later first thing that morning they said they would be out anywhere between 8 am and 5 pm. That's all they could tell us. My wife then calls again at 230 pm after spending all day at home and missing work because they won't turn it on without anyone home. They tell her, "Oh it's not assigned to anyone yet..." They have you where they want you not like you can shop around for natural gas. But we are looking into making everything all electric now we fed up. And not only that the main BIG gas line runs through our yard. Wonder if we could fight for them to relocate it out of our yard. Hmmm interesting.

Original review: May 1, 2018

CenterPoint cut the gas and didn't give me a notice until after an hour of my call to place the complaint! At 1:47 p.m. I received an email letting me know that the gas had been disconnected. Well after the fact that I found out on my own and called their office to find out why.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I left for a vacation on March 1st, 2018. Bills were paid on Feb 26th. Gone for a month, home on April 1st. On April 3rd we were sent a FINAL NOTICE for disconnection. I called to find out what happened to the payment I made before we left. I was told the notice is for the March payment that was due on March 29th.

5 days after the bill was due, a FINAL NOTICE was sent. I am a former employee of CNP and have never seen this before. Can't help but think my employment status has something to do with this because I can't come up with any other rational explanation! Shame on you CNP.

Original review: April 8, 2018

My daughter did a individual COA & all the mail went to her new address including all of my mail. I called CenterPoint to see why I haven't received a bill & customer service was RUDE!! The lady said, "You have to pay 301.66 before it would be reconnected." I was like, "Okay"... after I paid it the next day they said I owe 418.91 to get it reconnected and that 301.66 was already applied to my account... WT??!! I don't understand how in the bleep did it go from 301.66 to 418.91?

I can't wait until there's another gas company comes to Tyler, Tx. These people are out of their rabbit minds... I never had a problem paying my bills. This is crazy... I really believe if there was another gas company CenterPoint wouldn't be acting like this to their customers and only way they do is because they know we can't get gas from anywhere else. CenterPoint is the worse company I have ever done business with. They have too many complaints. They are worse than TXU! That's a shame.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Worst company ever! Sad thing is they know that they have a monopoly the Houston Area and their staff too as well. Worst customer service, it's like talking to a brick wall. Had our gas cut off on Monday, haven't received a bill in the mail, or disconnect notice. Tried to call to pay and get hung up on 3 times, finally make the payment, well tough ** they are closed so can't schedule an appointment until the next day. Finally do schedule. They don't have any appointments until Thursday. Usual ** "we will show up 8-12." It's now 1pm, call back and they say that the tech is still scheduled to show up, but that those hours are not "guaranteed." So now I've had to take off all morning, and it looks like afternoon as well. Come on Texas regulators. Deregulate it like you did the energy companies and let's give CenterPoint the kick in the ass it needs.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I have had one of the worse experiences you could ever even imagine with this company. We paid our bill on the 15 day of February and was promised an appointment for the 27. After calling CenterPoint they mistakenly put my money on the wrong account. One of their representatives got on the phone and told me that they cancelled my service connection because I did not pay my bill. I explained to him that I paid and he tried to tell me very rudely that I didn't. Once he seen where they put my money on another account they turned around, came out the next day, didn't call me or anything and left a note on my door.

When I called to see what happen the rep said I didn't give them my number and she said that if I wanted her to I could pay an extra fee and they would come out right away. I told her that I was not going to give them another dime. "Well it is March 5 they schedule you from 8-5." My husband waited here all day with things to do and they still didnt show. Said we missed the call. After I called and confirmed my order the supervisor said there was nothing he could or would do until the following day and it was 430pm. Then they say they can't call any service men and there is no way he could even out of courtesy turn my water on.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I have been working with CenterPoint for now 3 months attempting to get elect power to my property. Yes 3 months to finally get an agreement to sign and pay them $6500 to pull power. Now I ask when will this project be completed to be told within the next 6 weeks. They know and do not care that they are your ONLY solution.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

My mother moved in to a rent house and was there for two day without gas and then CenterPoint turn on the gas and get this they never check for gas leak and for 8 days she was in that house with a gas leak. When I walked in the door it almost put me down on the ground. I told my mother we have to call CenterPoint. There's a bad leak. So the man come out and yes it was behind the stove. The man told me that they are to check for leaks before they leave and turn the gas on. Well this could had been worse. The lady at CenterPoint told me today it's not their issues and that nothing could be done about it. That have nothing to do with on the inside just the outside. I'm like, "What? That's not what I was told". My mother is 70 years old and had heart issues and diabetes too and high blood pressure. This is not right. My mother could had passed away in her sleep.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I had to close my bank account so my automatic payments stopped going to CenterPoint. Not their fault but the issue I have is that when they didn't receive my autopayment in September, they stopped sending me bills for October or November and they didn't send me any notification that my payments weren't being made. They came out, shut off my gas, charged me an outrageous fee and won't come turn it back on over the weekend. It's unreal that any monopoly can exist and even worse that it's a scumbag company like CenterPoint.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

CenterPoint Energy is awful! They have a monopoly in my area, so I guess they don't have to care about their customers. First, when they go to connect to your service, you have to be on THEIR TIME. Meaning, they'll call you at any time of the day (they'll call you at 9am even when you've told them that you don't get off work until 1). I scheduled to have the day off, so I could get my gas. I went outside to take out the trash, and when I came back I noticed I missed a phone call. I called them back immediately (3 minutes after the call) and they said if I wanted the service that day I'd have to pay a $40 fee. Luckily, my dad helped me out to get my service the next week (they kept calling me at 9am when I told them I couldn't be home until after one... So I had to get someone else to help me because I couldn't take another day off).

Also, I've enrolled for automatic payment twice. I have all my bills automated, so I don't ever forget. The first time I enrolled I used my savings account number (which is what I've used for ALL MY OTHER ACCOUNTS), and they told me it didn't draft because it wasn't a checking account and charged me a fee. I figured okay fine I guess it's my fault for not knowing (even though they never send you any sort of notification to let you know your payment didn't go through... Only a notification to let you know they're shutting your service off after they've charged you a late fee). I re-enrolled with my checking information.

Two months later I get a call saying they're going to disconnect my service. They said after I enrolled I unenrolled (I swear I didn't do this!). I have an email to confirm that I enrolled in automatic payment. When I mentioned this, they said, "Well, you must have unenrolled after that. We don't notify people who unenroll." I don't believe that I unenrolled and it would have been nice to be sent a notification to let me know the payment wasn't received. So, I paid yet another late fee. This time I documented my phone call and have all the emails to prove I enrolled. I'll make sure they draft it next time. If they pull this crap again, I'm reporting them to BBB. AWFUL, TERRIBLE, NO GOOD COMPANY.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Just spent last two days trying to move, but because of someone ELSE owing a balance on the address I want to move to, CenterPoint is making us wait 5 days until they complete an investigation. The lady that just moved out was there 10 years!! If she is the one that owes they had 10 years to take it up with her and if she's not, then OVER 10 years to figure it out! What does a balance from someone else have to do with a new tenant?? I was also told I could bypass this 5 day hold, 2 days later), if I fax a copy of my lease. I was given 3 different fax numbers all for which didn't work, and 3 days later was told no one has my "case" yet so no one knows where on earth my information went to so back I go to wait for the 5 days to be up. I can't WAIT for another gas company to come along!! When businesses have no competition, they treat their customer's poorly and CenterPoint is no exception!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I had gas disconnected after a minuscule outside leak was detected whilst installing a different meter (may have been CAUSED by the install). We had to fix the issue, but after reporting the fix and requesting that gas be turned on we were promised for 2 days given different times that it would be turned on. 2 days later, still no gas! Quite heavy-handed by a company, fully aware of its "power" and monopoly. I contacted my state representative, as I have no recourse...

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

You can be a victim like me. Flooding victims, watch out for a second injury! By accident, I have found out CenterPoint ruined my credit for a $100 charge-off reported to Equifax in March this year. CenterPoint has never contacted me to collect it before; so I never even had a chance to pay or dispute it. Legally, they can do it!

This turned out to be a possible unpaid bill by my tenant. CenterPoint told me they could do it legally and they just did it! When I found out this bill, I paid it immediately before I even attempted to dispute it. However, CenterPoint has just ignored my pleading to remove this charge-off from my credit report. If you have similar experiences, please write your regulators. In Houston, you write ARA Utility Complaints. In other jurisdictions, you may need to write to: Texas Railroad Commission. Also, we need to write to our lawmakers to rein in this monopoly monster. Flood victims, make sure your bills are paid even the bills got lost in the flood.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

When power was lost during Hurricane Harvey infinite energy was back by Monday night. We lost power sometime Sunday. I went to club quarters Monday morning since they had power. I wake up Tuesday, no power. Why? Because they use Centerpoint energy. For some reason, which is VERY unfortunate, our cooling tower/a/c is on Centerpoint energy. Centerpoint energy told Rice Lofts we would have a/c within 24 hours Thursday at 2:30 pm. It's Friday at 3:12 pm... does Centerpoint Energy have our cooling tower running? Nope. Will we get a/c at all today? Nope. Horrible.

Original review: May 26, 2017

I am moving to a new location, but not completely moved yet because the property is still being painted and cleaned. I had an appointment for 3 different days and missed all of them because after they call to say they're in route, the wait time was 3 hrs or more. Why call if it's going to take 3 hours. Call when you know you're on your way. It's not fair for someone to wait that long. Then I called them back to check the status they tell you you're next they'll be there, then you wait another hour. Ridiculous!!!

CenterPoint Energy Company Information