Houston, TX

4.0/5 (343 ratings)

About CenterPoint Energy

CenterPoint Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenterPoint Energy?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2023

Not that I think this complaint will help anything, because I see MANY others who say the same thing. We've been a loyal customer of CenterPoint for more than 18 years, and late yesterday they cut off our gas for a one month past due balance. We never received notice via mail, email, text, voice or any kind of tag on the door. How is it this can happen in 2023 when there are so many ways for a company to reach out? I'm highly annoyed, and COLD this chilly 35 degree morning in Houston!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2022

They received a payment but never turned on gas. They sent a coupon payment in the mail and I applied 18 Sec 8, UCC 3-603 and 15 USC 77 (r) to the coupon and they are in violations with their own laws against we the people the real creditors for America. Ignorance of the law is without excuse but it's curable, with prejudice!

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

I got a solar system installed, which I paid $75,000 for it. The installation was completed July 15 and a complete application was filed on July 17 with CenterPoint Energy to inspect and activate. It has been 68 days since the application was filed. Centerpoint Energy refuses to activate the solar system. Most applications are activated within a few days of application. In Dallas, TX, the solar applications are activated within 1-2 days. In summary, I paid $75,000 for a solar system that I cannot use because Centerpoint Energy refuses to activate it.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

Spoke with customer service and had $2 on my account to pay, they told me it was the last bill. I haven't lived there in months and then this morning, I received another bill for $20. The worst part about it is they close out your account and you have to go back and re-enter info which is annoying. They apply your deposit at the end for some reason but then you are still left with a bill which is super confusing. Center Point does not care about the customer, they only care about themselves. Unfortunately, they are the only provider for gas in Houston and these brokered out electric companies in Houston pay Center Point. So in the end it is a huge monopoly and it's annoying!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

I have had the unfortunate experience of working with your business and customer service team. My gas was turned off with no notice on my new construction home on a weekend. Sure enough, CenterPoint Energy is closed on weekends so I have to wait till Monday before I get my stovetop, dryer, or hot water back on. I called first thing Monday to schedule the soonest appt for reconnection and was told same-day connections cost about $50 bucks. We scheduled for the day following to save a few $ and I was told I would have at least a 30-minute heads up prior to a technician coming out. The reason I WASTED almost two hours of my Tuesday morning calling, being hung up, and being passed from one customer service rep to the next with the suggestion that I was being connected to a manager/supervisor was because out of nowhere I get an email saying I missed my appointment!

No missed calls, no voicemail, no heads up... Just an email saying I need to call and reschedule! Additionally, I check my door cam and find footage of some tech knocking on the door once and then start kicking the column on my porch to knock the mud off of his boots. So I called and was told that I can either pay that $50 fee to have him come back out for a same-day reconnection or schedule for the following day... I'm dizzy at this point, is this a Deja Vu!? I own a fine jewelry business, manage real estate and work in the exotic car industry, I could never get away with this kind of service, but hey what does CenterPoint Energy have to lose, there's no competition to run to when they mess things up!

I requested to be connected with a manager or someone with the authority to make things right by sending a tech back out, of course, supervisors are totally unreachable. The only way to be connected is to open a case and wait at least 24-48 hours! What a joke, this is a tactic to dodge customers when they need you. The service staff literally put me on two 20-30 minute holds only to pass me off to one of their colleagues who would have me retell my story and then find out they were not in fact a supervisor/manager! Shanda was the last person I connected with and while she stayed on the script she was totally unhelpful and dismissive. I'm exhausted and cannot stress enough how badly I wish there was an alternative gas supplier I could switch to, the last thing I want to do is support CenterPoint Energy in any way shape, or form.

Original review: July 11, 2022

Centerpoint in Houston is trifling as hell! Earlier the lights went out without even rain. Now it's raining they've went back out! This shish happens all the time! They never fix this crap right ever! They need to change this this raggedy ** transformer now! This don't make no damn sense! I'm sick of them half stepping every time they come out here! Notice I said every time because they have to come every freaking time it rains! SICK of them! Fix it right now!

Original review: May 29, 2022

Friday, May 27, 2022 Centerpoint cut off our natural gas. After a long time trying to get in contact, I finally was able to talk to a supervisor. After checking out their error she assured me that the gas would be reconnected some5ime that same day, she said it might be late. Today is Saturday 28, gas is still off. Centerpoint sent me a e-mail stating the reconnect would be made on the 27th. Sat, no gas and cannot contact Centerpoint until Tuesday. So my 84 year old wife with dementia, myself, and my son and his family visiting from out of town didn’t have a way to cook on the stove, thankfully we have a on demand electric hot water heater we could still take a bath.

Original review: April 1, 2022

Our electric company is great and tried to work with us to lower our costs. The fees charges extra costs from CenterPoint don’t seem reasonable and they don’t cover anything. The fees are at least 50% of my bill last time I checked. Please REDUCE extra fees, charges so I don’t have find something else to cut out/back on. Basically if I STOP using all electric all month my bill will still be about $100 depending on time of year.

Original review: March 18, 2022

It’s unconscionable to wait over 40 minutes each time one calls one of the phone numbers and never ever gets a live person. CenterPoint never contacts people within 10 business days, which is what the reps at TXU tells us when we call to complain. If one puts in a meter reading request—which is not free—at the very least we should be notified of the date and time of occurrence and the results. At the very least we should be sent a copy of the report. TXU disclaims and says those requests go through Centerpoint. Centerpoint never answers nor do they follow up with a customer or provide requested info indicating we need to get it from TXU. Neither one provides anything, both go around in circles, both are quick to charge for their services and neither provides the requested information or answer. So easy to say they are not responsible for anything, and never do anything but yet, you both get paid?

Horrific customer service. It’s non-existent and Centerpoint takes the crown in lack of follow through, unnecessary and longer than usual wait times no matter what time of day or season—like with the fees you get per user, pay a friggin' rep to do their job instead of disclaiming—and learn the meaning of customer satisfaction when you actually provide good service.

Original review: March 16, 2022

Put a stop service request when selling my house. Still getting billed for service. Awful customer service. Stay away from the company if you can. Do not but sucks sucks sucks. I will never work with them again. You rip people off. You suck.

CenterPoint Energy Company Information