1.07/5

Houston, TX

Need a utility company?

259 CenterPoint Energy Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

The Manager's attitude is like if she owns the company. The customer service there is the worse ever. They cut the gas before a disconnect notice arrives. There is no negotiation, no one is willing to help. They are hostile, they treat people like if they are judges. CenterPoint Energy is the worst company I have ever dealt with. The imposing fees are higher than the actual bill and there is only one way to deal with them if you don't want the gas disconnected: pay and pay immediately because they don't wait.

I had a default method of payment online. I always used a new method of payment and without warning their software decided to place my new method of payment as my default payment. Next month I used my regular method of payment. They cut the gas, stuck me with with all their fees and without telling me, they stop my method of payment. I paid the gas with higher fees because I wanted the gas to be connected next day. They connected my gas, then disconnected immediately back because their system did not accepted the same method of payment. I have been only paying high fees after I called them. Very upset. They have been making my life miserable for over one year now. I am even afraid to pay my gas because I am not sure if they will accept my payment and I will receive a higher statement next month.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

My neighborhood experienced a power outage due to inclement weather and a branch which had fallen onto the electrical wires (8/14/19). The workers arrived, diagnosed the problem, and decided to trim some more branches surrounding electrical wires for future avoidance of the same situation. The trees with those branches were not on our property, but the workers dumped them on our property. Now we have huge, heavy branches sitting on our grass, and nobody from CenterPoint Energy is coming back to clean up the mess (8/15/19).

I called the customer service of CenterPoint Energy, and the employee said the workers who didn't finish their job could come in ten business days. Are these branches supposed to sit for fourteen physical days on my lawn till all the grass beneath them dies? Sounds wonderful! Now I have to clean up the mess at my expense. Thank you CenterPoint for your "incredible" and "great" services! My advice to homeowners is to watch out for CenterPoint workers who leave messes on your private property. I WILL next time.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Well in advance of our move-out date, I called to give notice we would be stopping service on July 12th. On June 12th, we return from vacation to find no gas. After calling CenterPoint, someone came to turn it back on, but could offer no flexibility, only a "take it or leave it" time slot, that Friday afternoon, as they don't work Saturdays. To avoid a weekend without gas, we agreed.

It is now August, and they are still billing us. Upon calling, I'm told that when I called to report no gas, I had "reinstated" gas service, and therefore everything related to us moving out had been ignored. Apparently it is our responsibility to call, and keep calling, to check CenterPoint is able to run its operations! On the most recent call, a rude customer service representative refused to listen to an explanation, believing she knew what had happened. She then proceeded to talk over me until realizing her misunderstanding, finally just putting me on hold for another person with no explanation. Awful attitude, poor operations and apparently no accountability for failure to deliver service.

Original review: July 23, 2019

They don’t honor their responsibility as a company. The easements are theirs only if they want access to your property. Avoid this company. They will charge for anything they possibly can. Not worth the money. Power outages all the time on their end. You lose all the groceries you just bought or medication that needs cooler temps. They don’t care. It doesn’t help that many employees don’t have respect.

Original review: June 27, 2019

I moved out of my apartment in December 2018. I gave notice on October 29th, and a letter was sent to me telling me that they cannot accept cancellations on a date more than 30 days out. So I called them, and told the person I talked to that I was moving out at the end of the month, she said ok. Moved into my new house, didn't think to check my bank account for automatic debits for months. Noticed in February I was still getting billed by CenterPoint for the service address of my old apartment. Called them again. Lady I talked to said she would close the account. Two months later, I'm still getting charged. Called CenterPoint AGAIN. Yet another lady told me that she could NOT cancel my account without speaking to my previous landlord to verify that I had moved out, and that until she heard from my landlord she would freeze the account and that I should take the auto-pay option off of my account.

So called landlady and explained, she was fine with contacting them. Go online and cancel my autopay. Now, two months later, I get a collection notice from a debt collector who bought the debt from - guess who - CenterPoint! For my old address, for yet another month of utilities! I'm done with this. We get free representation through my SO's workplace. CenterPoint will make this right or I'm going to litigate. They owe me hundreds of dollars and now they are ruining my good credit!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenterPoint Energy?

Original review: June 11, 2019

AWFUL! Guy came up to my door, knocked and strutted to his truck in less than 60 seconds. I yelled for him to stop, sprinted after the truck, screamed and waved my arms but he completely ignored me. Then, I had to wait 10 minutes on hold before I could speak to an actual person and they tell me they are the only gas providers in Houston! Are you kidding me! So you can treat people like complete ** and get away with it because otherwise I can't cook or have any hot water in my house?!?! Absolutely awful! I'm desperately trying to find a different service! There has to be someone else because this is NOT WORTH IT!

Original review: April 28, 2019

Paid April bill online 4/26. Payment due 5/10. Go online 4/28 to check... Shows my account is OVERDUE and pay immediately. Because they are so screwed up I submit another online payment. Then I check their online history of bills/payments. It shows bill due 5/10 PAID on 4/26. They turned off my gas a few years ago... I've been a customer since 1979. 40 years.... I don't trust them.

Original review: April 24, 2019

We own an unoccupied house in Louisiana. The bill each month should be the minimum maintenance fee, but this is not the case. When we realized that the bill was going up and fluctuating monthly we shut off the gas but left the gas connected. This should have solved the problem and the monthly fee should have been the same each month. This has not happened. We are not consuming ANY gas so why is the bill for a different amount each month?

Also from reading the other reviews I see I am not the only one to have a problem with their website. I am unable to leave an email and continuously get an error message. Their website has a drop down menu for “Service Options”, but oddly enough there is NO option to DISCONNECT service. I also noticed that CenterPoint’s website has direct dedicated phone lines and chat option for their Texas customers ONLY. Why doesn’t CenterPoint have this for ALL of their customers in other states?

I agree with the reviewers that are calling for these fraudulent, unprofessional, discriminating practices to end. I have noticed that other utility companies, private and government owned are seeing that companies like CenterPoint are not being investigated or held accountable and these other companies are now implementing the same dishonest practices. The corruption will only get worse. Our politicians MUST be held accountable also. Perhaps some class action lawsuits need to happen. And for those of us who can afford it we need to get off of the grid. Our insurance agents have told us that solar power has become very efficient. We’ve got options utility companies!

Original review: April 18, 2019

I've been with CenterPoint for almost 3 years and soon as I can switch I'm switching. These people stay having power outages monthly and if it rains or even a little wind comes through for the day the power goes out and they tell you that 2000 plus customers is out. All well for an excuse to take all day to fix your lights.

Mind you I'm terrified to sleep with my CPAP machine cause when the power goes out it shuts off my machine and it's terrifying cause I am in a deep sleep with that and by the time I notice I'm waking up gasping for air as if someone's holding their hands over my face due to me having on a mask and no air circulation and thank god my husband was there one time because I did wake up on my on one time and he snatched the mask off and shook me and then I started to gasping for air which then triggered an episode of SVT (superventricular tachycardia) which is an abnormal heart rhythm that causes heart attacks. I understand power outages happen but how many throughout the year even when there is no bad weather... Then they want payment and don't even bother giving out discounts when they know they're the reason why your refrigerator cut off and food spoiled. They don't take responsibility for nothing only payments...

Original review: March 29, 2019

First, I would like to start by saying I never had any issues with CenterPoint for over two years since being in my house. It's only me residing at the residence and I work full-time and hardly ever utilize my stove. The average bill usually runs about 20.00 a month, however since December of 2018 I've been paying 50.00. I have called and questioned the influx of usage with the result being a 1.00 decrease on bill. I find this ironic that my bill increased once I declined to get CenterPoint insurance. CenterPoint, you must do better as a company and stop scamming on loyal customers. If I could I would disconnect my service and pick up another provider, but we as a community in the Katy area don't have other options. One dissatisfied customer!

CenterPoint Energy Company Information