CenterPoint Energy

• 2%
  • 3%
  • 88%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenterPoint Energy?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenterPoint Energy?

Reviewed May 20, 2024

Omg. Where do I begin? They been lying to the new and the people they have only been fixing traffic light. No one power has came back on since the storm. The amount of times they lied saying our power will be fix by the end of that day but what took the cake is my mom had called asking for updates. They said it’s been restored. We get him. THEY LIED AGAIN then called back. These people skip over us and marked us down as restored. We should of been done by Friday night.

Reviewed May 20, 2024

If you want a greedy company who has disconnected their phone lines, disconnected the ability to even make a claim that the power is still out (4 days later) forget about it. They basically deployed the bare minimum of employees to fix over 1 million people without power, got huge backlash for it and now after 4 days without power have decided to bring in thousands of contractors to help…which should have been done on day one - but they wanted to save their money. They send period emails saying they are working so hard - like working so hard that no one could ever even understand - yet still refuse to give an estimated time of when they will fix the issues. Won’t allowed you request more information online, and won’t answer any questions or phone calls.

Reviewed May 19, 2024

So, they stated that the area code 77375 would be for the most part up and running for electricity after the storm. Today is May 20th 9:25 p.m. I still have no power. I have to be honest. These guys are worse than a third world country supplier of energy.

Staff

Reviewed May 18, 2024

Wow, a company with that much money can only pay 2,000 employees to solve the problem of 1 million homes without electricity. First of all, there are too few employees for this big city, second, if they don't have enough employees, why don't they hire people from other states to help with this disaster? Or at least Center Point asks for free help, and do not have us suffering from heat and without food in our homes, just because those who run these companies have their brains frozen, we have already been without electricity for 3 days. Texas wakes up, our electric company IS FAILING THE EXAM.

Reviewed May 7, 2024

Terrible customer service. I spoke to 2 representatives who gave attitude the whole time and the supervisor as well. There was only one that showed human decency and after being disconnected and refused a transfer to a different representative, they hung up on me. There was no help with an issue and I never got notified with a statement. Instead, they disconnected me and I had to repay a fee. Loyalty does not help at all with this company and they have the worst customer reps and assistance. Find a better company.

Reviewed May 3, 2024

Horrible. They use wind. The electricity goes out all the time. Raindrops in the power goes out. It's pitiful. I don't know what happened but they need to bring it back to what it was 5 years ago. This is horrible.

Customer ServiceSales & Marketing

Reviewed April 27, 2024

Scheduled gas hook up over a week in advance for a Friday hook up. Called around noon day of hook up to see if I could get an update only to be told my order was canceled and if I paid an extra fee someone would come out by end of day. Well it's end of day and no one showed up. Now I'm not able to cook or take a hot shower all weekend. What a terrible company. It's a scam that they are the only provider and allowed to get away with this.

Reviewed April 26, 2024

Go electric. They are unprofessional meter maids! Don’t help customer service horrible? You can tell it's people working from home? They don’t care if your bill is always paid with auto pay? That’s their only authority the meter maid a boot! Coz he’s mad and don’t like his job!

Reviewed April 24, 2024

Second loss of power this month over 24 hours long. The first time was a storm that took over 4 days to restore. The second was them falsely flagging the account for shut-off. This was not discovered until the next day when we called and finally got to speak with a human being who said we were falsely flagged and shut off. Then, we had to pay 40$ to restore the power we should have had.

Reviewed April 22, 2024

I spoke with a representative three days ago about sending a technician to turn the gas back on after replacing the meter. She promised they would arrive between 8 AM and 12 PM ET, but it's now 12:53 PM and they have not yet arrived. I called the call center again, but the representative could not provide any information about my request or when the technician would be available. I feel trapped in my own home due to operational inefficiencies and a lack of communication between systems, leaving customers like me without updates on our service requests and expected outcomes.

Reviewed April 16, 2024

8 hours waiting for electricity to be reconnected. I keep calling and they take me in circles. Supervisor will read from the same screen as employees. The script is basically you won’t get help whatsoever and your only choice is sit down in a house with no electricity, in the middle of a hot day, and wait for the technician who in 5 mins will reconnect your power. But beware, should you not hear the technician knock, or dare take a bathroom break, he will leave. And your nightmare shall start all over again. A never ending waiting game. It doesn't matter if there are 2 children at home, including a baby, which was communicated multiple times. Why should they have a so called customer service? There is no customer service whatsoever. Their processes are broken. Badly broken.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed April 3, 2024

Apparently, I'm not the only customer begging for mercy for service to be reconnected. I am under treatment for a critical condition and was told it was up to the discretion of the technician if "he is able to meet my scheduled request for the 3rd day". For 3 days I have been advised that numerous times a call was placed by the technician and if not answered, it’s considered a no-show appointment. PROBLEM IS, I have absolutely ZERO calls in my call logs where ANY attempt was made.

My appointment was scheduled on Monday, and I made sure I was at home from 8:00 AM until 10:00 PM. The second day, I called CenterPoint. During this call, the representative continued to step all over me when I tried to explain the number they were calling was NOT my number. I asked for an explanation on the wrong number being called when the automated system identifies me by the number in which I was calling. Representative's response and actions were to cut me off. My second attempt on the same day resulted in the representative LYING, yes BOLD-FACE lying to me that a representative was on his way at 6:30 PM. I again, stayed at the location until 8:00 PM.

Today when I called, the excuse now it's the community gate code that was entered incorrectly with a # instead of *.... To me, their employee training consists of more learning more excuses of why they cannot fulfill their commitment to the customer opposed to how they can assist us! I FINALLY advised that I would be filing a complainant with the PUCT or RRC and the representative's response, was do what you feel you must do. SERIOUSLY? That being said, I'm exhausted from pleading to get someone out here and will be better using my effort in modifying my home to be GAS-FREE!

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed April 1, 2024

This company is the absolute worst!!! They schedule appointments and cancel them without showing and without notice. I sat and waited all day for service to be connected, no one showed, called and was told the appointment had been canceled. They told me soonest someone could come would be the next day so I left and then received a call that the tech was on the way. Went back and waited then received an email it was cancelled again. Called and was rescheduled for the next day which was a Friday, no one ever called or showed up. Called Monday and was told there was never an appointment scheduled. Would absolutely never use this company if there was any other option!!

Reviewed March 14, 2024

Our energy usage is over 4,300kwh/month according to CenterPoint!!! We have a small 3 bedroom starter home. We have had 3 energy audits and none of them have found a reason that we would be using so much electricity. We put in new windows, new AC, etc… And nothing has changed. Electrician said it has to be on their side. CenterPoint just looks at meter and says it’s fine, if they even come out at all!! They don’t help, don’t care and are rude!!!

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupStaff

Reviewed Feb. 28, 2024

I got shut off 1 day before the disconnect after paying $600 which left me a balance of $115. Called and spoke to the service rep who refused to hear what I had to say. So I demanded a supervisor. Come to find out that they started service at the residence when wasn't supposed to. When I installed a service pole they started another bill and had to get $1300 transferred to the current service. Had power back on in 20 minutes. That was the first of February now I'm receiving another bill to be paid for $837. So they never removed the bill that was for unauthorized for service and continued to send me the bill. Now they won't remove the bill and continue to cause billing issues with my service.

Reviewed Feb. 27, 2024

When you calling for help and know you’ve already traveled the proper channels for your services through provider and now request to restore are already in place just please reconnect the services the same way you disconnected it via request abruptly. No need for poor attitudes. It’s not your power that’s lost. Be considerate especially when the same consumer is not at fault and at the end of the day pays your salaries both service provider and transmission service.

Reviewed Jan. 12, 2024

I have been using this service from my house for the past 2 years. Have not really had any issues up until now. Was online. Trying to pay my bill just 2 days ago and it was not ready and said I had a credit. Today I look and it's twelve dollars higher than it should be when we've used the same amount of energy. Call in. On hold for forever. Very unhappy with this service. They need to keep their web page up to date and not bill me 2-3 days before it's due.

Reviewed Dec. 7, 2023

The worst Gas Company to use. They will make you an appt and then have you waiting the whole day to call to find out you don't have a so call appointment. I Do Not Recommend To Use This Company. Chose A Different Gas Company

Reviewed Nov. 29, 2023

Centerpoint Energy doesn’t have a sense of humanity due to. I have three children which are under four years old and disconnect my gas service due to nonpayment which my community help me pay the payment and last night we slept in a freezing house and my kids are coughing due to the cold situation, and now spoke to supervisor managers of Centerpoint Energy. Don’t have a humanity service due to an emergency reactivate after receiving their payment.

Reviewed Nov. 23, 2023

I live a few miles north of Houston and for the last three or four years have had frequent electricity outages. They sometimes last 20 minutes, or they can be over an hour or more in duration. If the wind picks up, or it rains a bit, there's an outage. Thanksgiving day? Outage. Any given day of the week? Outage. The "explanation'' given is always "equipment damage" and from the looks of it, the equipment gets damaged a lot more frequently than it did four or more years ago. I've lived in developing countries with better service than Centerpoint affords its customers. Public Utility Commission of Texas: At what point will you do something about this???

Reviewed Nov. 22, 2023

They cut my gas off 2 days before Thanksgiving & my bank shows it posted on the 15th of Nov so I sent the proof via Fax but they said a investigation hasn’t been set up so now I paid online lots more than I owe because it says it will be connected today. Will be about 34 degrees tonight, no heat, no hot water, no cooking. This is not good & they obviously don’t care. The investigation could take 2 weeks. That’s unacceptable.

Staff

Reviewed Nov. 14, 2023

Oue experience was horrible. Shut off 1 day prior to us paying our $70 bill, excessive fees to reconnect including same day reconnect. Centerpoint is a total rip-off. No consideration for struggling people.

Reviewed Nov. 6, 2023

I attempted to have my service turned on because the heat in my home is gas. I attempted to have it turned on in October, after 12 phone calls of being on hold for 25 to 30 minutes, waiting on a representative, that never answered; I finally called in as an emergency gas leak. I then got through to a person, however that person told me, they were sending me back to the other line, that I've been on hold on all the other times, because this line is for emergencies only. I told her, "No thank you. Please just give me a number for corporate or a supervisor, Because there is never an answer on that phone line." She ignored my requests and sent me back to the line that is never answered.

I didn't hang up it rang, and then that exact same lady I spoke to on the emergency line answered. She then treated me as if I was an inconvenience because the online self-service prompts didn't work to get my service started all 12 times total that I attempted to start it with that and the phone line! Then while treating me as an inconvenience she did finally set up an appointment to get my service started when finished she then asked me if there was anything else I needed. I requested the phone survey at the end of the call and she said okay and paused. Then again ask me if there was anything else I needed. I repeated, I would like to take the survey at the end of the call please. She said, "Okay bye" and hung up on me!

Worst service I have ever experienced from a utility provider! Thankful there's no infants in my home, we've been using electric heaters, that are not ideal to heat a three bedroom home. Definitely would say using electric heaters for an extended amount of time is a potential fire hazard. I sure hope this company can do better in the future. No one deserves this lack of service from their gas company.

Reviewed Oct. 24, 2023

If you are relying on accurate information for a project or trying to work with them and contacting them regularly with updates and notifications expect a bunch of lies and ** from the administrative office and staff. We are building an accessory structure and have been communicating with them for 2 months to cap and move a gas line. We were told it would be done on 10/2/23 and completed so we had our accessory structure scheduled for the week of 10/23/23 with a 16 man crew and multiple sub contractors to pour concrete and set footing and start our build.

We get told on 10/2/23 that we are pushed to the following week but they emailed the supervisor and are assured it will be done. Then later that week we contact them again to make sure that we are completed and they say it will be the next week and no one should have told us a timeframe as they don't control it but on the SAME call assured us it would be completed the following week 10/16/23. Still not done and today is 10/24/23.

Come to find out they apparently just got the permit and it may be done sometime in the next two weeks. These guys hire 18 year old kids and give them a construction vest and call them contractors. They don't know their butt from a hole in the ground. Can't communicate to save their lives and flat out lie about progress and projects.

Literally the blind leading the blind. What a joke of an organization from the leadership all the way down to the staff. Staff member TOLD me they are advised to lie to the clients and keep "them happy". You know what keeps people happy - Honesty - integrity and planning. That is how the rest of the world and legitimate companies operate. I hope your stock and company tanks.

Reviewed Oct. 12, 2023

To cut to the chase, I needed my gas cut back on. I went online and paid not only my bill, but extra fees & charges for them to "reconnect" & have someone come out. This was Friday. Of course they are closed Saturday & Sunday so I had to wait until Monday to speak to someone. An agent told me someone will be coming out the following day on Tuesday. I never went into work because I wanted to make sure I was home. THE TECHNICIAN NEVER CAME. I called them on Wednesday morning. They told me the reason why they never came was because I wasn't home which was a flat out lie. I got no call or door knock. They then go on to tell me someone will be there the following day on Wednesday. I call out of work AGAIN, and no one arrives. This time I even got the automated phone call saying someone is 30 minutes out.

The technician never contacted me or turned back on my gas after that. Apparently they came to my building and left because they had an "emergency request" somewhere else. So here we are on Thursday, and an agent tells me that there was only one scheduled appointment for me on her end which was the past Tuesday. To say the least this is completely unacceptable. There is clearly no HONEST communication between Centerpoint & the technicians that they send out. MY GAS IS STILL NOT ON! I have to call out of work once again in hopes that someone shows up today. This is disgusting.

Reviewed Sept. 28, 2023

I have been in quite a few places in this country and it takes no time for the utility service providers to connect the natural gas, but it takes days for Houston Centerpoint Energy to do this. Your time does not matter to them.

Reviewed Sept. 12, 2023

Not recommended at all. Worst company to deal with. Charges are way too high. Outrageous. It's like mafia. They tell us not to use too much electricity and charges us $350-450 for 4 bedroom house. What is this? They think they can take high bills but don’t use electricity either. We kept it under 78 temperature from 11pm to 8pm for AC in a day. It feels way too hot till 8pm and we don’t even use washer or dryer during that time but still paying so much. $350 this is ridiculous.

Price

Reviewed Aug. 8, 2023

Expensive and added fees. They charge $120 just to start a service even though they already provide service in the apartment complex I live in Texas. Required by the apartment complex to use this company, or else I would have not picked them.

Reviewed June 28, 2023

This started in April. I got a late payment notice that 2 of my payments were returned. I contacted the company, sent in bank statements showing that the payments were withdrawn on the correct dates. In May I contacted the company again and was told it could be 2 months to correct the problem but they would push my June bill to July. On June 28th I received my bill and it showed I had a $21 late amount. From when I do not know. They did remove my late fees from April but when I went to resign up for auto pay I was not able to because of previous missed payments, which I proved I did not have. When I called service they had no idea how to fix my problem and I am awaiting another call. This is unbelievable.

Reviewed June 28, 2023

So I have been with Centerpoint for over 8 years. Recently I have had some hardship after 8 years of paying on time only being disconnected 1 time (due to the fact that I just plain forgot to pay my bill). They have shut me off in the middle of a disaster for the grand total of $34.78 are you kidding me!?! Now they want me to pay over $365 to get it back on! How the heck did it go from a $35 bill to having to pay $365 to get it back on!? We just were without power for 4 days then again 2 days later without power for the whole day. I don't understand how they can do this and expect people to live! What the what is wrong with this company!

Reviewed June 15, 2023

I signed up for CenterPoint and was told my bill would be 20-30 a month per levelized billing. Bills were mostly doubled when I got them. It took the lady from LIHEAP to find out my bills were high because of levelized billing. One employee I spoke with afterwards took me off of levelized billing. During this time, there were correspondence about the complaints to corporate office, and they stood strong on the fact that I owed that because of the gas I used, I live alone in a duplex, and the way levelized billing us set up. They did admit that they put new unemployed to work that were uneducated on the facts and that was part of the problem.

Long story short, they have taken advantage of someone on a fixed income. They gave me ultimatums. They cut me off because I was 20 dollars short. I contacted LPSC, and I could tell that their office would be no help to me. They finally called and told me they would cut it back on in spite of the 20 dollars but I am still liable for all those overcharges. One employee had me off of levelized billing, and corporate who always claims their abilities are limited, gave me an ultimatum which forced me to get back on it. So now they offered me a payment plan for money I don't owe and bills Incurred after they admitted it was part their fault. I'm 60 and disabled and I'm gonna have to move and disrupt my life where I plan to die at because of Centerpoint Energy and zero help from the office of the LOUISIANA PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSIONERS OFFICE.

Reviewed June 12, 2023

Called two weeks in advance to set up Gas service in our new home. They were Scheduled on Friday. We called Thursday to confirm. An Automated call came in Friday saying we are on our way. They never showed up. Tried calling on Saturday and they are closed on the weekends. So I pressed 1 for an emergency. The rude customer service agent came on and said they had an emergency Friday that's why they didn't show up. No Call No text no nothing. He said Monday would be the soonest they don't work on weekends unless it's an emergency. So after moving all weekend no hot water for showers, no stove, luckily it's summer time and we didn't need heat.

Called them at 7 am on Monday. They told us another lie saying they were there and no one was home. Bold face lie. What about the emergency on Friday....No response. Needless to say they will be out when a tech becomes available today. If you don't have to use them don't. They lie and are extremely rude on the phone. They do not care about your situation. We also have my dad in the home whom is disabled, makes the situation even worse. 0 Stars if I could....Absolute worst.

Reviewed June 9, 2023

During the end of this week, I had the displeasure of experiencing the people of CenterPoint for myself. Our gas was turned off because we forgot to pay the bill, which is not the issue I have. When I realized that the gas was disconnected, I immediately tried to pay the bill online. I tried multiple times over the course of the day at work and was unable to get my card to go through. I went home after work and was able to get a confirmation number during yet another attempt at paying the bill, but then the website gave me an error.

I called customer service and after waiting over half an hour, I was told that the amount didn't go through, so I was transferred to an automated line to pay. I paid the required amount. I was returned to the agent to get my reconnect set up and *oops hee hee haw haw* I double paid on my bill because of the stupidity - it's a good thing I'm not on a fixed income where I'm going to need that second payment in the next two weeks because I won't see the money again except in a credit. This brings me to my next problem with Centerpoint. They didn't require any company to turn OFF my gas but they sure expect everyone to cater to them to turn it back ON. I am a night shift worker and was not immediately available at the time they arrived at the door, so they hopped back in their vehicle and took off down the road.

When we called about the situation and them not turning the gas back on, waiting well over half an hour to talk to a person yet again, we were advised that we now owed them an additional 70 dollars on our bill and for them to return today again it would be another 50. Excuse me? I already overpaid them OVER that total amount, and there was a note left outside detailing that I am a NIGHT SHIFT WORKER who SLEEPS DURING THE DAY. After working 14 hours overnight, I am now expected to stay up all afternoon for when they may arrive before 5 because my time is not nearly as valuable as theirs. I am fairly certain I'm not required to be present for someone to turn a wrench to on when I wasn't needed for them to turn it to off. I will be filing a complaint with their management next week regardless of the good it won't do. If zero stars were an option, I would give them that.

Price

Reviewed June 4, 2023

I have lived in Plano, Sherman, El Paso, McKinney, Arlington 4 times, Denison, Carrollton, North Richland Hills and now Friendswood. I have NEVER had such BAD electric service as I now have with CenterPoint. Service goes out every 2 months or so. They are OBVIOUSLY not maintaining the equipment and at least 6 street lights in my neighborhood burn 24/7. That is wasteful abuse of electricity and makes prices higher for all of us. SHAME SHAME SHAME!

Reviewed May 22, 2023

I observed a very large tree in my backyard that intercepted Centerpoint's electrical wires, which would impact my electrical service as well as that of my neighbors. I spoke with Centerpoint's representative, Andrea, who scheduled a Centerpoint reservation to handle the issue.

Reviewed May 4, 2023

This monopoly corporation is so poorly run. They are ruining appliances, taking no responsibility for their actions of breaking things in people's home or overcharging by hundreds every month. Now they even left me with broke my water heater when they weren't supposed to do anything but re-light it. They refused to fix it unless I pay them more than a regular HVAC company so I have no hot water even though I just paid 386.00 for 1 month of gas for a house that only uses natural gas for water heating. I am working 6 days a week nearly 24 hours a day so I shower and eat at work. I do not use 360.00 of hot water for anything.

This a criminal enterprise is set on nothing but ripping people off for fake services like their home protection plus and natural gas. It would be nice to have the option to work with a gas company that ACTUALLY provides gas on a regular basis for even a semi-fair price. They can only do this because they are a monopoly which MN supports fully. We need free market options as CenterPoint is a mafia of crooks performing illegal actions, deceptive practices ... And they owe me a water heater.

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed April 3, 2023

I order a move of service, same complex, different apartment two weeks ahead of time for March 31st which happens to be on a Saturday. Got an email on March 30th telling me they would have to reschedule for April 3rd, Why would they let me set a Saturday appointment when they don’t work on SATURDAY. ON TOP OF ALL OF THAT THEY SHOWED UP AT 7PM!!! If I could I would have given them zero star!!

Reviewed March 13, 2023

My house was burnt down in CA wildfires caused by PG&E. I can firmly say this is the worst power company I've ever dealt with. From price and outages to customer service on the account this company is a joke at every level. I had to leave my home state of IN just to get away from this clown show. It's so sad our political parties are selling us out to monopolies like this. If CenterPoint managed to spend half of its lobbyist budget on its customers I'm sure this issues would be fixed overnight. Corporate greed is an understatement. These people need to be regulated out of existence.

Reviewed Jan. 26, 2023

Not that I think this complaint will help anything, because I see MANY others who say the same thing. We've been a loyal customer of CenterPoint for more than 18 years, and late yesterday they cut off our gas for a one month past due balance. We never received notice via mail, email, text, voice or any kind of tag on the door. How is it this can happen in 2023 when there are so many ways for a company to reach out? I'm highly annoyed, and COLD this chilly 35 degree morning in Houston!

Verified purchase

Reviewed Nov. 23, 2022

They received a payment but never turned on gas. They sent a coupon payment in the mail and I applied 18 Sec 8, UCC 3-603 and 15 USC 77 (r) to the coupon and they are in violations with their own laws against we the people the real creditors for America. Ignorance of the law is without excuse but it's curable, with prejudice!

Reviewed Sept. 28, 2022

I got a solar system installed, which I paid $75,000 for it. The installation was completed July 15 and a complete application was filed on July 17 with CenterPoint Energy to inspect and activate. It has been 68 days since the application was filed. Centerpoint Energy refuses to activate the solar system. Most applications are activated within a few days of application. In Dallas, TX, the solar applications are activated within 1-2 days. In summary, I paid $75,000 for a solar system that I cannot use because Centerpoint Energy refuses to activate it.

Reviewed Sept. 14, 2022

Spoke with customer service and had $2 on my account to pay, they told me it was the last bill. I haven't lived there in months and then this morning, I received another bill for $20. The worst part about it is they close out your account and you have to go back and re-enter info which is annoying. They apply your deposit at the end for some reason but then you are still left with a bill which is super confusing. Center Point does not care about the customer, they only care about themselves. Unfortunately, they are the only provider for gas in Houston and these brokered out electric companies in Houston pay Center Point. So in the end it is a huge monopoly and it's annoying!

Reviewed Aug. 16, 2022

I have had the unfortunate experience of working with your business and customer service team. My gas was turned off with no notice on my new construction home on a weekend. Sure enough, CenterPoint Energy is closed on weekends so I have to wait till Monday before I get my stovetop, dryer, or hot water back on. I called first thing Monday to schedule the soonest appt for reconnection and was told same-day connections cost about $50 bucks. We scheduled for the day following to save a few $ and I was told I would have at least a 30-minute heads up prior to a technician coming out. The reason I WASTED almost two hours of my Tuesday morning calling, being hung up, and being passed from one customer service rep to the next with the suggestion that I was being connected to a manager/supervisor was because out of nowhere I get an email saying I missed my appointment!

No missed calls, no voicemail, no heads up... Just an email saying I need to call and reschedule! Additionally, I check my door cam and find footage of some tech knocking on the door once and then start kicking the column on my porch to knock the mud off of his boots. So I called and was told that I can either pay that $50 fee to have him come back out for a same-day reconnection or schedule for the following day... I'm dizzy at this point, is this a Deja Vu!? I own a fine jewelry business, manage real estate and work in the exotic car industry, I could never get away with this kind of service, but hey what does CenterPoint Energy have to lose, there's no competition to run to when they mess things up!

I requested to be connected with a manager or someone with the authority to make things right by sending a tech back out, of course, supervisors are totally unreachable. The only way to be connected is to open a case and wait at least 24-48 hours! What a joke, this is a tactic to dodge customers when they need you. The service staff literally put me on two 20-30 minute holds only to pass me off to one of their colleagues who would have me retell my story and then find out they were not in fact a supervisor/manager! Shanda was the last person I connected with and while she stayed on the script she was totally unhelpful and dismissive. I'm exhausted and cannot stress enough how badly I wish there was an alternative gas supplier I could switch to, the last thing I want to do is support CenterPoint Energy in any way shape, or form.

Reviewed July 11, 2022

Centerpoint in Houston is trifling as hell! Earlier the lights went out without even rain. Now it's raining they've went back out! This shish happens all the time! They never fix this crap right ever! They need to change this this raggedy ** transformer now! This don't make no damn sense! I'm sick of them half stepping every time they come out here! Notice I said every time because they have to come every freaking time it rains! SICK of them! Fix it right now!

Reviewed May 29, 2022

Friday, May 27, 2022 Centerpoint cut off our natural gas. After a long time trying to get in contact, I finally was able to talk to a supervisor. After checking out their error she assured me that the gas would be reconnected some5ime that same day, she said it might be late. Today is Saturday 28, gas is still off. Centerpoint sent me a e-mail stating the reconnect would be made on the 27th. Sat, no gas and cannot contact Centerpoint until Tuesday. So my 84 year old wife with dementia, myself, and my son and his family visiting from out of town didn’t have a way to cook on the stove, thankfully we have a on demand electric hot water heater we could still take a bath.

CoveragePrice

Reviewed April 1, 2022

Our electric company is great and tried to work with us to lower our costs. The fees charges extra costs from CenterPoint don’t seem reasonable and they don’t cover anything. The fees are at least 50% of my bill last time I checked. Please REDUCE extra fees, charges so I don’t have find something else to cut out/back on. Basically if I STOP using all electric all month my bill will still be about $100 depending on time of year.

Reviewed March 18, 2022

It’s unconscionable to wait over 40 minutes each time one calls one of the phone numbers and never ever gets a live person. CenterPoint never contacts people within 10 business days, which is what the reps at TXU tells us when we call to complain. If one puts in a meter reading request—which is not free—at the very least we should be notified of the date and time of occurrence and the results. At the very least we should be sent a copy of the report. TXU disclaims and says those requests go through Centerpoint. Centerpoint never answers nor do they follow up with a customer or provide requested info indicating we need to get it from TXU. Neither one provides anything, both go around in circles, both are quick to charge for their services and neither provides the requested information or answer. So easy to say they are not responsible for anything, and never do anything but yet, you both get paid?

Horrific customer service. It’s non-existent and Centerpoint takes the crown in lack of follow through, unnecessary and longer than usual wait times no matter what time of day or season—like with the fees you get per user, pay a friggin' rep to do their job instead of disclaiming—and learn the meaning of customer satisfaction when you actually provide good service.

Reviewed March 16, 2022

Put a stop service request when selling my house. Still getting billed for service. Awful customer service. Stay away from the company if you can. Do not but sucks sucks sucks. I will never work with them again. You rip people off. You suck.

Customer ServiceSales & Marketing

Reviewed March 3, 2022

I don't appreciate the fact you give people the opportunity to pay online but every single time I go online there is an issue with the Payment site. Either all the fields are not populating or it stops working in the middle of entering my information which makes me feel like this is a scam. When people go online they're trying to pay you idiots and get it over with. I don't wanna give you $300 but I have to Because I have to heat my home it's bad enough you sold the company to somebody else and marked up our bills 42% which is complete robbery robbery. The least you can do is make sure the website works on all platforms. People don't have time to get on the phone and call and wait that's why people pay bills online. Fix this problem please.

Reviewed March 2, 2022

It has taken days to setup service with this company, as they never answer the phones and when you finally speak with someone they are unsympathetic and ask for the information to be completed online. Very frustrating!

Customer ServiceCoveragePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Feb. 27, 2022

CenterPoint Energy provides the WORST, mediocre service you could ever imagine. They broker with third party plumbers and service contractors to do the job. We are on day 3 without our main drain being unclogged due to tree roots. We pay for an emergency drain cleaning service, but that has proved to be useless since they won't come out!

They had A-1 Emergency Rooter in Stillwater, MN to come out Friday night and the tech said their machine was too big to fit through the door, so he said they will get something in the books for the next day (yesterday) to get someone who has the break apart machine. We had an 8am-4pm window and just in case we've called CenterPoint several times during the day to make sure someone was still coming out. Finally, one of the representatives said "Yeah not sure how you managed to get an 8-4 window. They usually come out between 7am-11pm.". So now we waited on day 2 only to find out at the last minute (around 7:30pm) that we were never in the schedule to begin with! And at this point, it wasn't even with A-1 anymore, it was with "DC"?

So now they said they'd call us back this morning to get something scheduled (SURPRISE! They never did.). I called CenterPoint back again and now we're back to square one, finding a plumber to come out today to fix the main drain that SHOULD'VE been fixed on Friday! After this main drain cleaning service, we are reconsidering the "Home Service Plus" coverage, because the representatives and contractors are USELESS and the service is a WASTE OF MONEY!

Reviewed Jan. 20, 2022

I called CenterPoint Energy to express my concerns about my high gas bill. My bill was roughly $300 which is extremely high. My thermostat is set to 73-75 and I use electric heaters in my home. I was not understanding why my bill was so high and thus called customer service. The CS rep was a guy who was rude and hung up on me when I asked if someone could come out to re-read my meter. He was not trying to be of service at all. CPE is awful as this is not my first time having issues; I wish there was another company option. I do not recommend this company. I would give 0 stars.

Reviewed Dec. 15, 2021

I hooked up gas at a temporary basis on a rent house I was repairing. Somehow Centerpoint associated my father's name with my account. Never mind that he has been dead for 10+ years and had absolutely nothing to do with this house. Centerpoint sent me a check for $34 they owed me in my father's name. All other correspondence, including bills, I had received was in my name. After holding for 50 minutes, they go on to tell me there is nothing they can do. I ask for a supervisor who then hangs up on me. No one bothers to call me back. And I'm not spending another hour plus with these clowns. WORLD's WORSE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Customer ServiceCoveragePrice

Reviewed Nov. 19, 2021

Center Point has been the best customer service, and pricing for years and is the number one gas and electric provider to Texans for years. They also offer many coverages for gas, water and electric lines inside and outside your home. They also offer discounts for buy in energy saving devices.

PriceReliability

Reviewed Nov. 12, 2021

Centerpoint has acknowledged they have issues in reliability of their grid for years at this point with not one single step taken to improve this. After 14 Houstonians were left dead from last year's Winter storm our power has gone out 8+ times within the last 30 days. If another storm were to hit tomorrow, there'd be scores more. Centerpoint refuses to credit our account and is unwilling to go through with claims as they'll say every reliability issue is due to a "weather event" even when none are present at the time of loss of service. Centerpoint is happy to let more Texans die as long as they keep their bottom line. They are here to profit off of Texans inability to select another company as their service delivery methods.

It's already criminal that the power grid in Texas is not publicly owned as Centerpoint benefits from government subsidies and gets our tax dollars only to provide services that are the bare minimum. They are driven only by profit, and they have no incentives to improve the reliability of our grid as that would require them to dip into their profit margins. Again, Centerpoint has blood on their hands. They've willingly killed Texans before and will continue to do so until they're forced to be a publicly owned utility.

They've been operating in Texas for years, and somehow they aren't prepared for hot summers and the occasional winter storm? The winter storm took all Texas by surprise to be sure, but requesting Houstonians turn their ACs to 80 degrees in the middle of the summer like Texas doesn't always get this hot? It's a laughable service. They have the audacity to raise everyone's prices and refuse to provide any improvements from these price increases. Absolute vultures only looking to profit off of Texans, doesn't matter how many die as a result of their incompetence at best or apathy at worst. Centerpoint needs to be dealt with NOW.

Reviewed Oct. 26, 2021

I have a house with water heater bought from and installed by Centerpoint Energy around 8 months ago. I booked for maintenance and their maintenance engineer came and told that he is unable to open burner chamber and he wanted me to buy repair plan before he can proceed. I called their Customer service and told them that my water heater was not serviced. They asked me to open water heater chamber myself and their engineer will come and service it. I mean how frustrating. I have 6 years warranty on product which they are not willing to honour. I called up manufacturer and they are able to take care of parts under warranty. So the ultimate goal of Center point energy is to get me to buy repair plan for something which they didn’t do it right in first place.

Reviewed Oct. 20, 2021

I can't believe how CenterPoint went up on my bill. I'm with Direct Energy and CenterPoint own the meter. My bill has triple the amount since April. We still in a pandemic and they don't care if customers are able to afford to pay the extreme amount they have went up to. This is ridiculous and I hope something get done about it.

Reviewed Oct. 20, 2021

We have been a customer with parent company for over 20 years. Some mistake was made with our account, after we have paid every bill, and they came and turned off our gas. We came home from vacation to no heat and no ability to cook. They made no effort to quickly resolve the problem. Made my husband sit at home for longer than 4 hours to restore gas. This is a huge company who does not care about the customers they serve. This is an awful company. Do not do business with them.

Reviewed Sept. 28, 2021

The delivery charges are ridiculously high. We all know someone has to pay for the services however, adding over $50 per month to your bill is a bit much. I wasn't a Texas resident during the storm yet I have to pay. Being a One family household I've never paid over $100 on an electric bill. Even when I owned a three bedroom house my bill wasn't this high. Did y'all consider a lower rate increase? Did you think about the less fortunate? What about the elderly? Please go back to the board and review these high increases keeping this in mind. The pandemic, freeze come on can we get a break?

Reviewed June 22, 2021

June 22, 2021 Clown company send someone to the house to connect Gas. Gas is already on. Called already on June 16 to transfer the name from previous tenant to us. They told me that gas WILL NOT BE TURNED OFF JUST THE NAME WILL BE TRANSFERED. June 22 a Technician came to the house at 0700 which no one was home, decide to close the valve for no reason and said there was no one home and can not service the house. EMAIL SAID THEY WILL CALL 30MIN PRIOR TO ARRIVING. No call whatsoever. Called customer service regarding the e-mail at 1158AM. "SIR THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THERE, YOUR SERVICED IS ALREADY DONE." At 1444 wife texted that there is no gas. She called and told her she has to wait for the technician to open the valve. WHY was it closed in the first place. I'm SORRY your company can't be that DUMB!!! COMMON SENSE NEEDS TO KICK IN!!

Reviewed May 18, 2021

EVERY TIME it rains there’s an power outage in this area not once twice but LITERALLY EVERY TIME there’s heavy rain and no one can explain why. At this point it’s ridiculous. I’m not understanding why if you Centerpoint knows that this is an issue why not fix so we don’t have to go through this. What about the elderly especially those that have oxygen machines? Not everyone can afford a generator. How does this happen EVERY SINGLE TIME and when are they planning on fixing this? There are times dinner has been ruined and so forth. We pay too MUCH MONEY as it is for electricity for them not to have this resolved.

Reviewed April 13, 2021

Today I called Centerpoint Energy because when I opened my garage I thought I smelled gas. I had been smelling something for several weeks but was not really sure if it was gas or not. I called and a technician named Chris came out in less than 20 minutes from phone call. He checked EVERYTHING (furnace, fireplace, stove, and water heater) that was related to gas and discovered it was a small amount coming from hot water heater. He also tester gas meter outside. Now this is when I knew I had to write about this. He even went in my backyard and checked lines in ground. I have been at my residence for almost 23 years in May. I have had a few gas leaks related to appliances or in wall. I have NEVER had a technician do that. I was impressed with the professionalism. Kudos to Centerpoint Energy for having someone as great as Chris on your team.

Reviewed April 1, 2021

I called to report power outage during a winter storm in Houston Texas. CenterPoint is now demanding $220 for the phone calls. Have called the company to resolve but the representative says I have to pay even though this happened during a weather disaster. There's a huge problem with the electric market in Texas which is run in a cartel like manner.

Reviewed March 11, 2021

If I could give 0 stars, I absolutely would. Spoke with a customer service rep named Shonda who honestly belongs somewhere where people aren’t. I have never been so talked down to in my life. Disgraceful. I know absolutely nothing about gas lines other than our tree that had fallen over from the hurricane had a gas line wrapped up in the roots and we’re finally able to remove it. If you don’t like your job & you want to talk to people like they are inconveniencing the hell out of you, get a new job. I’m shaking mad from that conversation!

Reviewed Jan. 27, 2021

With everything digital, this is the worst experience I have ever had. Having turned on service to a rental house, NO BILLS SENT, NO EMAILS SENT, cannot set up online payment until you get your account # and hold wait times to speak to a representatives are HORRIBLE at any time of day. If there were an alternative, I would surely change services, but they have a monopoly on service here. THEY ARE A SORRY ORGANIZATION.

Reviewed Nov. 4, 2020

I experienced a power outage about a month ago. I woke up to my power turned off and confused because my bill is current. I called to report a power outage and waited 6 hours for a technician to come out. The expected time of arrival was 3 p.m. Once 3 p.m. rolled around my power was still out. I called back and was informed via automated message that my power was “resolved” at 12:30 p.m. (nobody notified me) So, I requested a technician AGAIN. Moments lasted I received a call from the company and explained they had found nothing wrong. He said we would be charged another $40 for the tech to come back out. Finally, the tech called me upon arrival and explained that the unit #’s were mixed up. Mind you, I live in an apartment and have NO IDEA where the meters are kept. Fast forward to 3 weeks later I noticed 1 $40 charge on my bill. I called to dispute it and the representative said the technician wrote in the notes about the meter #’s.

I call today to receive an update only to be notified that the seal on the meter was broke. I explained that I don’t even know what a “seal” is nor where the meter is located. The representative stated the charge would remain. I asked to speak to upper management but was disappointed with the manager’s unwillingness to help. She did nothing to assist the problem and instead spoke to me in a demeaning tone. I’m so upset that these people are able to do this regardless of the situation.

Verified purchase

Reviewed Oct. 28, 2020

If I could give 0 stars I would. I am so upset. They disconnected my service with no warning! Immediately I got on and paid my bill in full on top of the over $120 fee to reconnect the next day. Single mom with newborn who works and made it a point to get to my house since they had called. When arriving home I received an email that it had been completed. This was not true. The technician literally lied. So after 15 minute call with customer service who clearly thought I was dumb because I am a woman and claimed my service had been reconnected finally realized that it was not due t