2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.57/5

Ambit Energy Reviews

Original review: April 10, 2020

Two and a half years ago I started using Ambit in my apartment and all was fine. A year later I moved down the same street into another apartment. My bill is now up to 3x higher. I have had $400 dollar bills in my small 2br apartment from this company. You would think I'm paying for the entire building. When I called about this, I was asked if I am "leaving any lights on" - no, I'm not, but even if I did leave a lamp on all day how does that equate to a $400 dollar bill? Then I was asked about the AC temperature. "We recommend leaving your AC set to around 80 degrees." I was told this in AUGUST in TEXAS.

For the record I leave the AC off during spring/fall and in summer it is set to auto in the 72 range. So no, I'm not doing anything crazy with my electricity to equate to a $400 bill. I called for a meter check and they never got back to me. I will be switching and warning everyone I know not to use this scam of a company. For a bit of background - I have never left a review of anything in my life, and created an account just to leave this review. This company is completely unwilling to help at all and I am warning you, just pick a different company. The only people I know with high electricity bills are all using Ambit.

Original review: April 1, 2020

I signed up for Ambit Energy August 2019. I have been on automated draft from the beginning, which allowed them to processes every payment on-time. Today I received a confirmation email of a payment for $792.41. I called to inquire and was told that apparently Encore energy did an audit on their meters and determined that I had previously been charged and paid for someone else's usage. They determined that the difference that I should have been charged was the $792.41 and took all of it out today. I did nor receive a letter alerting me of this mix up nor informing me that I would be charged $792.41 at one time.

I consider this the worst form of customer service ever. I am not sure why I need to pay for their error. I paid what I was billed on time every single month. How do I know for sure that the $792.41 I was charged is really for my usage. This doesn't seem right and I have never experienced anything like this before. How are they allowed to do this to people?

Original review: March 16, 2020

It is a scam. When I cancel my service because of bad customer service, they charged me twice a normal price. For one day usage I paid 30$ after they cancelled my service. Never use it. You will regret.

Original review: March 12, 2020

I started using Ambit Energy in 2017. When I moved to a new apartment I transferred services in 2018 and had a contract till 2019. They cancelled my plan without prior notice and started billing higher than normal. My bill was always 170 and up for a 2 bedroom apartment. I found out when I called to cancel my services. I had just one email for my last bill which I couldn't access and then next notice was from a collection agency for a bill of $40 when I had paid $170 and more just 5 days back. They need to do better and communicate with their customers.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

I don't normally write things like this. I live in Houston TX and have been using Ambit for 5 yrs without event. The price was fair but not the cheapest but I usually am loyal to companies that are fair and don't give me aggravation (no solicitation etc). However, out of the blue my power bill tripled in one month from approx. 200/mo to 600 just for August!! To my surprise I thought this was a meter issue or mistake... But just to find out they tripled the rate... due to a loophole in the contract I signed for that year.

They sent a notice to my house stating an usually hot August (you kidding me... This is Houston. It's always hot.) AND I RECEIVED THIS LETTER 1 DAY before getting my bill!! Ridiculous and unscrupulous. So in my disgust I cancelled my contract and they continued to bill me for cancellation fee... Total bill owed to this ** company was 1033 for 1 month of summer power which is normally 200-250. I will NEVER recommend this company to anyone and will go out of my way to tell people not to use them. If I could give them a negative star rating I would.... even with the previous 5yr of experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ambit Energy?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

I recently moved to TX, and they called me and asked me sign up for Electricity. I didn't know I had choice of selecting others. They didn't even explain all plans. Just had me signed up for the plan that they get most money. I live in an apartment, bill amount going up every month. When I called they said it is based on usage. The usage is same all along. Suddenly I received a bill of $270 for one month. Come on. $270 electricity bill for an apartment (1500 SQFT)? When I called them they said you can switch to different plan, but I have to pay cancellation fee of $200. I asked, "I am not changing the company just the plan," they replied, "Yes, as long as you switch the plan you have to pay the cancellation." I had no choice of terminating the service completely with them. Please.. Please.. Do not get trapped by this company.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

My bank account was charged twice for a payment and I was told I have to wait 25-30 business days for a refund! Are you SERIOUS! Unfortunately Ambit Energy doesn't consider the hardships that the customer has to face behind their mistakes.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

I have been using Ambit for electricity and gas for one year. Both electricity and gas rates are good. The admin charge is lower than the competitors. Also there is no transaction fee for gas. Highly recommend.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I was convinced by friend to sign up with Ambit Energy so that he can get a commission. He promised that it would be cheaper than the regular provider in NJ JCP&L. After about 1 year with Ambit I thought my electricity bill was higher than normal. I finally got around to checking the bill about a year later. I found the price per kwh charged by Ambit Energy was more the 1.5 the price from JCP&L.

JCP&L Ambit Energy
    Aug-19 $0.0809 $0.1564
    Sep-19 $0.0914 $0.1652
    Oct-19 $0.0914 $0.1698
    Nov-19 $0.0926 $0.1715

Dec-19 $0.0936 $0.1737

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

Never got a renew contract letter or phone call. They jacked a new month to month to 18 percent. Talked to a rep I couldn't understand (do they do this on purpose?) Almost 500.00 bucks this month. Filed complaint with PUC but doubt if they can help. Oh well, looks like I do without groceries this month.

Ambit Energy Company Information