1.36/5

Need a utility company?

Need a utility company?

Ambit Energy Reviews

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

Horrible customer service! Stay away! Got me on a plan for 3 cents/kwh then a few months later went up to 19.5!!!! Found out after they drafted my bank account over $870.00. Called twice on 2 separate days waiting on hold over an hour to remedy this and no one answered! Called a third time and left my phone number to call back when my turn came up and no one called! But if you want to sign up for a new service you get immediately taken care of! I had to switch to a different company and still charged me $199 after I explained my experience with them! All I got was " sorry"!!!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

Ambit Energy offered me the lowest package when Customer Representative advised as the flexible offer. Later on When I got my bill they charged 350$ for 1200 kw which is the highest rate ever. I spoke to customer service but they offered 10$ discount. They are not clear what they offer. I am very disappointed. What did they charged from me.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

Ambit was promulgating their wholesale plan. Normally, before I switched to it, my bill in the summer was in the 120 range. They called me and offered me their wholesale plan. Avg of 9.1 cents per KWH. What they didn't say was that the rate could go up. This summer my bill was almost $1000.00 for 2 months. My house is small. I am not home between 630 AM and 8OO pm. They will never tell you all of the truth... Be aware the higher your bill, the more your upline makes.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

Ambit Energy the worst electric company. I live in 2 bed apartment, my first bill was $480.00 after that it’s like $150-200. And after 2 yrs I move to different apartment with same electric company and same problem. My first bill was $485.00. How comes every time first bill is so high. I talk to them. They say we use that much electric. That’s not right. They rip the people. The company suck. Please nobody gets this company electric.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

We had used ambit since 2015 and never had a problem until just last month. We were in a "plan" which was supposed to lock in an energy rate of 8 cents/kWh. We received a bill just last month of over $600, up from the typical ~$130 around the summer months. When studying the bill, our usage was really not that much higher that historical data for this month. The huge bill was because Ambit decided to increase our rates from 8 cents to 30 cents / KWh.

After spending about 45 minutes on hold, I finally got through to a customer service agent to ask for an explanation. The best explanation they could give me was that the rate increase was because we went over 2000 kWh. This made no sense because we have gone well over this before in previous months and never saw a rate hike like this. The agent basically stuck with this reason and when I attempted to articulate this issue further, the agent said "you know what, just forget it" and hung up the phone. That same afternoon, I found another provider, signed up and then called Ambit to cancel my service. If they want to play this game, I'll feed them little $5/month payments until my bill is settled.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ambit Energy?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I pay my bill every month, at the end of the month. I recently discovered that I have been paying a disconnect notice fee of $10 for four months. The reason for this is that the payment due date changes every month based on when they check the meters and document the usage. There no set due date but rather an “around that date.” I was never informed of this when I signed up for Ambit’s service. I was told I was receiving these “disconnect notices” via email, however, I never received an email notification. The notices were being sent to my “inbox” on the ambit energy website. Had I received the notice via email as the customer service rep stated then I would have been able to locate this fee 3 months ago. I called customer service and after I pointed out the flaws in the manner in which the billing is set up, I was asked if I wanted to renew my service.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

Watch out for this company's saving energy plan. This is the content of the Ambit energy electric bill for my September. I live in Houston TX. Current Charges Ambit Energy Charges Energy Charge (30 days, 3,272.3 kWh @ $0.219200) $ 717.29 Wholesale Club Fee (30 days @ $0.99) $ 29.70 Total Ambit Energy Charges $ 746.99. Current Ambit Energy charges $ 746.99 Centerpoint Charges $ 138.02 Taxes and other fees $ 28.19 Current charges due by 10/03/19 $ 913.20 Total Amount Due $ 913.20. I can't believe 3,272.3 Kwh usage. End up paying $ 913.20. The average rate charge on the market is $0.11/kwh including CenterPoint charge. Better stay away.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

I have been a customer of Ambit since 2010. The first weekend after signing up, we were left without electricity because of miscommunication on the part of Ambit staff that arranged for the electricity switch. My family and I were forced to spend the weekend in a hotel. I let this fiasco pass and continued with Ambit for the next 9 years up to today when I received a $495.03 electricity bill. I have never paid an electricity bill higher than $300.00 during summers. When I called I was told that since my plan was "flexible" that the rates can increase or decrease depending on the Transmission Distribution Utility charges passed through to Ambit and the Electric Reliabity Council calculations of market cost who determines charges per month blah blah blah.

This shows up in the so called Plan Label for my electricity plan already and I understand this but, my questions were not answered when I called: Why was I not informed beforehand of the change in the rate? Why such a drastic increase from the 4.1 cents per Kilowatt to 22 cents per Kilowatt in just one month? What caused such an outrageous increase? Why was the 11.5 cents per Kilowatt average pricing in my plan was not utilized to calculate the cost of electricity per month? My electric consumption was lower during September than during August 2019, then why is the bill for September higher?! See my usage record for the last 7 months:

Date Usage Service Period Amount Rate

09/26/1908/01/19 – 08/30/19 $495.03 22.1¢
      08/29/19 07/02/19 – 08/01/19 $153.83 4.1¢
      07/29/1906/03/19 – 07/02/19 $227.46 3.7¢
      06/28/1905/02/19 – 06/03/19 $309.15 3.4¢
      06/03/1904/02/19 – 05/02/19 $131.67 3.3¢
      04/29/1903/04/19 – 04/02/19 $124.83 3.4¢

02/27/1901/03/19 – 02/01/19 $111.61 2.7¢

After speaking with several representatives at Ambit it became clear to me that they do not value loyal customers and are not willing to provide a favorable resolution to this. Ultimately it is all about the money I suppose. Therefore I FIRED Ambit today and taking my business somewhere else. You all make sure you understand your electricity plan and do not get into a so called "flexible" plan as I did. It will come to bite you at the end.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

I have been a customer for more than 2 years. I changed because of their competitive rates. However, they are currently charging me 27 cents per KWH in a contract I never signed. Trying to reach them to discuss is a joke. I have been on hold for 45+ mins., today. They aren’t trying to talk with their customers, and when on hold they claim they would love to talk to you. That’s a joke too. I am hanging up in after waiting an hour.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

Multi-level marketing scam. Nothing more than a way to get you sucked in with low rates during non-peak times and then BAM!! May bill - $143.87. Jun bill - $237.21. Jul bill - $358.58. Aug bill - $893.32. Sep bill - $1,014.98. RUN AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!

Ambit Energy Company Information