4.1/5 (160 ratings)

About Virgin Atlantic

Virgin Atlantic Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Virgin Atlantic?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Virgin Atlantic?

Original review: March 21, 2022

Booked a flight in December 2020 from MCR TO Barbados on Virgin flights via Kiwi Travel. I had everything prepared (paperwork, covid tests etc). At check in the Virgin staff advised me I couldn't board the flight because the last 4 digits of the payment card did not match my personal credit card. I advised that Virgin, as top of the food chain, must have set up a payment process with their 3rd party agent (KIWI) and therefore with anybody booking via this agent, the cards would never match as this was obviously a KIWI card.

The staff appeared to ring a manager and proceed to tell me as the card numbers didn't match I was a security risk and couldn't board the flight. The virgin staff then went on to say if I gave them more money I could board the flight (I asked how this would stop me from being a security risk and they had no answer). I had no alternative other than to pay the demand (£591.90). Immediately after I arrived at my destination I sent a formal complaint. There have been many emails in the past 15 months where Virgin have tried to deflect me back to KIWI when it is in fact Virgin who have taken my money.

I have also put great effort into getting KIWI to reimburse me: Internet searches suggest KIWI are a scam and I am now having to go legal. This legal action may cost me more than I can recover, however I feel that Virgin are playing on this in order not to repay those who have been cheated by this system that they themselves have set up. As such, on ethical grounds, I am prepared to lose money.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

Really disappointed in the customer service I've received. Booked a once in a lifetime holiday for my family to go to Disney World Florida and decided to make it extra special and book business classes as my eldest son has a passion to become a pilot. As a family we've been through an awful time and I wanted this to be so special for the whole family. I had a life changing car accident in November 2014 which left me in a coma for 16 days. I woke to find my right arm fully amputated and I'd broken 6 bones in my neck & 4 in my spine. Spent 18 months recovering and wearing a metal frame in my head to support my breaks. I had to learn to walk again and adjust to having one arm. Thankfully with all the care and support from my family and mostly my amazing son who was only 7 at the time, he gave me the push to carry on when I didn't have it in me.

This holiday has taken so long to save for, I've planned it to a tee and was so looking forward to it. Prior to booking I explained I now have twins who will have just turned two. The seating plan was vital for us as they'd be in their own seats. I didn't want them to be away from us and unsettled and further more unsettle other passengers. We asked for the seating map prior to booking and we picked the flight and aircraft that suited our seating needs. At no point was we told this could be changed. I then get an email from ocean Florida to say Virgin have not only changed our seats but changed the aircraft and we needed to book new seats. I logged on to find that no seats on this aircraft are next to each other which means my twins will be sat alone during take off and landing and I know this will only end badly as they will be very upset and scared.

I asked if we could change to another airport to get a different aircraft and was told yes for an unbelievable charge of £1400 per person. I was disgusted they could ask us to pay this. There are 6 of us travelling and virgin have changed this and didn't bother to notify me. The booking company did and now they want £8,400 for changing to a different airport???? I tried to call virgin customer services and after two hours on hold got cut off. I then emailed and after almost two weeks no reply so I emailed again. Received a phone call saying nothing they could do. I'd need to pay if I wanted to change. I could have cried. This has ruined our trip. I asked if I could speak to a manager and was told there was nothing that could be done and he couldn't contact a manager? To say I'm upset is an understatement, I thought booking a flight with virgin would be a pleasant experience but sadly this has been far from it.

It seems they really don't care about their customers at all and I will not book with them again. We are flying from Manchester on the 10th of January until the 20th and I sincerely apologise to anyone in advance who is on the flight with us and know we've done everything we can to try and resolve this but sadly virgin don't want to know and I don't have an extra £8 1/2 grand to spend on changing the airport after saving 17k for a so called dream holiday for years. Never again.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

I booked through Delta for three passengers LAX to Mumbai. They got me on Virgin Atlantic as they partner with them. My flight is for December 8. Since Monday they keep changing my London connection with 19+ hour layover. I called to fix it. Spent so far now 10 hours on phone with Delta. They fix it and Virgin messes it again. Last night I spent four hours and Delta rep fixed issues and when I went back to check it is messed up again. At least Delta calls back in 3 hours sometimes it gives option of call back.

Virgin I was on hold today for two hours and I hung up the phone. They don't even give you a time frame of how long you will be on hold. I went online and they have tickets online for more than $7000.00 for economy. I think they want me to cancel my tickets so they can sell them again for $7000.00. Anyway I was able to contact Delta and said I cannot go through this again. Cancel tickets and I want a refund not credit so I can try another airline. Delta has canceled it however I don't see any email yet regarding my refund. I hope this is not going to be another nightmare collecting my funds.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

We recently booked a return flight from NYC to London DIRECTLY through Virgin Atlantic's website for August 31 at 10 pm. I thought it was extremely odd that it wasn’t showing up in flight status or their website, only on our booking number. I called Virgin Atlantic EIGHT times to confirm and was assured multiple times the flight was going ahead. We showed up at the Virgin Atlantic terminal at 630 pm on August 31 and were told by Virgin Atlantic representatives to go to the Delta counter. We waited an hour at the Delta counter only to be told there was no 10 pm flight even though we had the reservation number. I asked to talk to the supervisor who grew hostile and said she had five other flights to process none of which were mine and I needed to talk to Virgin Atlantic though by that point there were no agents at the Virgin Atlantic counter.

We asked one more Delta agent who said there was no 10 pm flight to LHR at JFK. This was a very important trip for me. I hadn't taken a break from work since May 2019. I had not seen my family in the UK since January 2019 (including my mother who has M.S.). We got a hotel at the airport and stayed up until 2 am because that is when the Virgin Atlantic phone desk opens in the UK. After being put on hold for an hour we managed to get booked onto a flight the next day at 8:15 am. However, because the trains to my mother's in Lincolnshire stop running at a certain time of night, we had to book a hotel in London and catch a train in the morning.

I am now stuck in a loop with "customer service" at Virgin Atlantic who refuses responsibility stating that they are just the marketing people and the flight was operated by Delta. Delta is stating they are just the flight operators and Virgin Atlantic is the agent. Neither will offer apologies or compensation for the hotels. I will not be using this criminal organization again.

Original review: July 3, 2021

My fiancée was set to leave Hong Kong on June 30. They canceled her flight 3 times and rebooked. Their people in Hong Kong don't even know immigration laws of the UK. She finally left after another 14hour delay on July 1 then got to LHR and her flight was canceled again to Barbados. Now July 3 her flight was diverted for no reason at all. I'm in Barbados and now out over 1000 USD in quarantine hotel for her since Virgin screwed up our time for wedding will not happen due to schedule now. So I warn people don't use virgin if you are planning anything. If you like sitting in airports your whole time and employees that don't know who does what then waste your money with this useless company.

Original review: April 1, 2021

I had flights scheduled when due everything stopped due to COVID. They promptly replied to my email for status on my flights. They kept me posted on their policy and returned my money in full rather than give me credit or voucher like other airlines. Staff I worked with were polite and helpful. I’d certainly fly with them in future.

Resolution response: Dec. 7, 2020

After 5 months and endless texts (the only way they would communicate), the refund came through. They tried to get away with refunding only a portion of the total ticket price. I had to spend another month fighting and waiting. In the end they did refund the full amount but the effort I had to put in was unbelievable.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

VA has decided to hold their customers' money hostage instead of doing the right thing. I purchased fully refundable tickets in January for an August flight. VA canceled my flight so I requested a refund. Over the course of many weeks I had to contact them multiple times until they finally agreed to refund my money. I was forced to reexplain all of the details of my situation every time I contacted them. They had my information and knew exactly what was going on so this was a clear tactic to make this experience difficult for me. It has now been 100 days and the refund has not been processed. After contacting them again multiple times over a four day period, they finally got back to me this morning.

I was informed that my transaction will be processed within 20 days but it will take an additional 21 days to reach my account. That will be five months since my request was approved. An electronic return takes minutes to initiate and hours to land in the account. I have never experienced such blatant disregard for customer service and satisfaction. They were happy to take my $5000 well in advance. After canceling my flight they are doing everything they can to avoid refunding it. Even though they made it very difficult, I was patient in the beginning because of Covid. Adding an additional 21 days to the already unreasonable timeline is taking it too far. They no longer care about their customers. I have flown with them many times but my suggestion would be to avoid this airline in the future.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

Appalling customer service and refund policy, been waiting over 120 days for a refund and it now looks like it won't be happening as Virgin have applied for chapter 15 bankruptcy protection in New York. I will never use them again.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I booked a flight on VA in February for travel in November. In March, they changed my flight where we would land 2 hours and 15 minutes later. This later time would put us in jeopardy of missing our next flight. I called and was able to change back to the earlier flight with no issues. In May, they changed the flight again, canceling the earlier flight. Per their Terms & Conditions they sent me: If the flight change is inconvenient to me, they will refund or re-book. No mention of a fee. This time, they are charging a $275 change fee per person, saying that the time change is less than 3 hours. This is NOT in their Terms & Conditions. It seems to be a totally arbitrary policy that they sometimes charge. We could have chosen another carrier, but heard VA's service is good. VA's Customer Service is awful. They also said it was the travel agency that was imposing the fee, which is not true. How can I escalate this issue with VA?

Original review: April 17, 2019

Travelling international was never a hassle until I experienced this huge drama. Coming from Detroit to Delhi, my baggage was deemed not arrived at the airport. Filed paperworks at the baggage handling section and reported the same to the customs. Traced it for 4 days and no news and then later in the evening got a call that my baggage has arrived and will be sent to me by tomorrow. Happy as a kid started waiting for the bag but not all endings are happy. The next day got a call from an unknown number at 0530 hrs in the morning who confirmed that my bag was with him and he was waiting to board the train at the railway station and the cops would not clear the bag as it contained some liquid courtesy the X-ray machine and said the cop would pass only after taking Rs. 500. All I wanted was the bag and couldn't afford any more delays.

So, asked him to bring it and would pay him the desired amount. Upon the arrival at the station, I found out the stroller of the bag was broken and the TSA lock was opened and there was a manual ziplock on the bag and I was like how dare the airlines could do this. Called the baggage handling section and told them everything and they even talked to the person who delivered the bag and he then returned the money but to my surprise this guy was so stubborn that before leaving he asked me for money... "Sir Chai Paani Doge ya phir Sukkhe Sukkhe," (Sir you should pay me as you got the bag or are you planning to send me just like that). I was fumed by now but still gave him Rs. 200

The main struggle started after this. Kept calling the baggage handling section and all I was given a reference code for the report they raised in which the damage to the stroller was mentioned and they also told me if the lock was opened then there would be a paper from the TSA section. So, I told them will let them know the next day. To my surprise once again when I opened the bag later in the night, there was no paper from TSA and also one item was missing (box of deodorant, shower gel and aftershave from the Body Shop) which was a gift from one of my friend's. Called the baggage handling section the next day and they just don't answer.

I was harassed by the airlines, their staff, the person who delivered the bag and now tomorrow will file a complaint on their website and I as per the rights of an individual seek compensation for all the loss including the wait time for my bag, the harassment caused by the employees of the airlines and by the person who delivered the bag. And I wish to mention that this was my last association with this airlines and won't recommend anyone to book with them. Thanks, Nitesh.

Virgin Atlantic author review by Erika Armstrong

Founded in 1984 by Richard Branson, the owner of legendary record label Virgin Records, this airline started with a single plane. More than three decades later, Virgin Atlantic is now the second-largest long-haul airline in the UK.

• Comfortable business class: The award-winning business class seats in the Upper Class Suite turn into the longest and most comfortable flat bed in the category.

• Eco-conscious: Virgin Atlantic recently retooled their fleet with the addition of 15 new planes that use 27 percent less fuel per passenger.

• Travel worldwide: Virgin Atlantic offers flights to more than 200 destinations around the globe.

• Free baggage allowance: Depending on the type of ticket, passengers on Virgin Atlantic can check up to two suitcases at no additional charge.

• Free cancellation: Last-minute flights, anything booked within seven days of the travel date, come with a 24-hour cancellation window for a full refund.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Advisor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Virgin Atlantic Company Information