2. Travel
  3. Airlines

4.1/5 (244 ratings)

About Virgin Atlantic

Virgin Atlantic Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Virgin Atlantic?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Virgin Atlantic?

Original review: March 19, 2019

I've been flying Virgin Atlantic for more than twenty years, and have flown in Economy, Premium Economy, and Upper Class. As with all airlines, seat room and on-board amenities have grown smaller, but they are still far more comfortable and service-oriented than any other airline I have flown -regardless of seating class. From check-in to arrival the staff is consistently polite, friendly, and efficient. The food ranges from edible to very good (vegetarian options tend to be nicer). In-flight amenities include hot towels, complimentary snacks and beverages (including wine with dinner), and an outstanding range of entertainment options. The VA experience is so much better than other airlines I've flown that I will sometimes alter my travel plans simply to ensure that I cross the Atlantic with Virgin, even if it means another, extra flight.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Recently returned from yet another Barbados holiday to which the start of it was a big upset. On opening my suitcase I found that the lock had been picked and that 1/2 my clothes had been stolen and some items had been damaged and returned back to my case. We called the baggage department to be told that we were making up a story as there is no way it could have happened and they were not interested at all.

We finally had contact with Virgin HQ a week later to be told that "NO SECURITY IS FOOLPROOF." I found this more upsetting than the suitcase being tampered with, because as a customer of Virgin you expect their security to be very secure especially with how the world is today. My point to them was if someone can get into my suitcase and take items what could someone with ideas put into a suitcase. There is obviously a big breach of security within Virgin Baggage Department of which they need to take a serious look at to ensure that those thousand of people who use the service are being protected. It's not much to ask for when you are traveling to your favourite destination with Virgin Airlines.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

Flew with them recently and had an extremely unpleasant experience. Disappointed to find that you now have to pay extra to be able to choose your seat. I paid to choose an aisle seat, but by the time the day of my flight came, they had changed my seat and I ended up in a middle seat. I had also requested a gluten free meal (and they said they would have one available for me), and they ended up not having one available for me.

On the flight home, they tried to charge me 47£ to check my bag, but I didn’t have to pay for my bag on the flight over (and I have a Delta SkyMiles credit card and don’t have to pay for a checked bag). I was able to get them to waive the fee, but they acted extremely unhappy about it. And then on the flight, the stewardess gave the passengers around me so much extra alcohol that they got drunk. Very unprofessional of the stewardess and the airline. I will definitely not be flying with them again. I flew with them 3 years ago and had a great experience, so I don’t know what has happened to cause them to go downhill in the past 3 years.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Recently flew with Virgin Atlantic. In order to make sure we sat together Virgin informed us it was £30 per person each way. Astonished I paid the £240 so we could all sit together. To add insult to injury upon check in we were not checked into the seats I’d paid £240. I contacted Virgin Atlantic who inform me seat allocation is subject to change. SO WHY CHARGE PEOPLE FOR SEATS. ROBBERS. ROBBERS. ROBBERS. ROBBERS.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I travelled in Virgin Atlantic on August 9th from London to Atlanta. First I had a 17hr layover and they didn't provide any food vouchers or accommodation. Maybe that's normal. Second I went to ticket counter to check if my baggages were checked in multiple times. The staff were horrible. No support at all. They liked that my baggage was checked in. It was checked in my flight. I still waiting for baggage almost a week. Imagine families traveling in this airline. I feel bad for them. Please take some action.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Lost my bag at Heathrow airport. Had a flight from JFK to BOM on 2nd June with a layover at Heathrow. System shows bag not scanned at Heathrow and went missing. Airline customer care not helping to find.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I took a Virgin Atlantic Flight to South Africa in March 2018, I flew Premium Economy. On the return flight my brand new suitcase was badly damaged, cracks and puncture all over. I filed a claim of, $79.99, the price for the suitcase. VA accepted my claim, but I have not received the payment after 2 1/2 months.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I booked Virgin Atlantic as I thought the customer service would be second to none... Oh how wrong I was. I was shocked to find that I needed to pay an extra £300 to book seats online for my family. To make matters worse they offer the option to choose a seat online included if I booked after March this year but I still have to pay. This obviously creates a situation where we are less likely to be seated all together, as many people can book seats without the charge. I have been told that an adult will be sat with each child no matter what but we could be separated and could be separated from my 14 year old daughter on a 9 hour flight. They are causing stress running up to our holiday and all because of their greed for extra money after we have already paid thousands.

This was an expensive flight to America not an budget airline where you can understand. I have spoke to several people at Virgin regarding this and they agree that the charge is excessive but refuse to do anything to help or even reduce the charge by any amount. I'm disgusted in them and they need to read their reviews on here as most people are having the same experience as me with poor customer service.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I was a overcharged by agent giving wrong exchange rate for ticket I purchased. When I realized and called back I had to wait a minimum of 15 minutes each time. When I explained agents either did not understand or worse put the phone down on me when I ask to speak to supervisor. When I finally spoke to supervisor she understood and said she would arrange refund. I have waited 5 weeks and made 6 phone calls. Still no refund. I think this is dreadful service. I am a frequent flyer member and have 2 million air miles to spend.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I have been a Virgin Atlantic customer for years now, it is always my preferred company, and every time I get a chance I use Virgin Atlantic, and recommend the company to all my family and friends. In fact, the airplanes and flight crew are fantastic. The same cannot be said about the ground crew, office staff or online services. My specific experience has been beyond disappointing and has shown how very little Virgin employees care for the customers, even when our wellbeing and health might be at stake.

I flew with Virgin on Saturday from Manchester to Orlando, being that Manchester was a connecting airport from my previous flight. Upon arriving in Manchester I had to check into the flight, as it was not allowed online nor could the other airline do it at the airport. When checking in I made a point of highlighting we had luggage and asking the Virgin representative to double check that the luggage would be sent to Orlando, which he pretty much dismissed even though I insisted. Upon arriving in Orlando my luggage and my husband's wasn't there, at that point we opened a case and were assured the luggage would be on the next flight in and dropped at our home the next day or Monday at the latest. It is now Saturday of the following week and I still don't have my luggage.

Throughout this week I have had a terrible experience with Virgin Atlantic's staff. I called the next day, and the next, and everyday I was assured the luggage was located, that it would be on the next flight, and that I would be contacted with updates. Unfortunately even the updates worked poorly, I only received one update from a US representative, other than that I had to either call her and leave voicemail messages before hearing back, or I had to contact the customer service line (located in the UK) directly, which was even more complicated with the waiting time, and less helpful, as call center staff do not appear to care one bit about the fact that I am requesting my luggage to be sent over urgently because I have medication in it.

Eventually, in one of the dozens of phone calls I made, I was informed that the luggage was in Orlando, and that once it cleared customs it would be sent to my home. On Friday morning, and without any of the promised phone calls letting me know that the luggage was through customs and would be sent over via FedEx, I get a call from the management office of my apartment complex letting me know that my luggage had been delivered to the front office. Once I got to the front office there was only one bag, my husband's, and FedEx had not contacted me because the Virgin representative had filled in the tag with the wrong phone number.

At this point I contacted Virgin again, the US representative obviously did not answer the phone, I left multiple messages to no end. I then contacted the customer service line and first no one could tell me where my bag was, then eventually they told me it was with the courier, although FedEx had denied having received a second bag. I asked for help, mentioned the urgency of having the bag delivered as I needed the medication today, and now its Saturday night, there is no indication as to where the luggage actually is, when it will be delivered and no useful feedback whatsoever from Virgin.

On top of this, the excuse I've heard constantly is that I cannot get an update or the tracking number for the delivery company because no one can get in touch with the Orlando crew. I have to say that my luggage has been delayed before with other companies and I never saw this level of incompetence nor such a longer delay anywhere. Right now the blunt disregard for my wellbeing is very clear and I am beyond upset with Virgin and its staff.

Virgin Atlantic Company Information