trivago
1.97/5

Looking for a travel site?

trivago

Looking for a travel site?

118 trivago Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I used Trivago to search for hotel rooms. Clicking on the lowest price resulted in going to Prestigia.com. I booked the reservation and paid for it. Prestigia sent me a email confirmation. When I arrived at the hotel, the check in desk did not have my reservation. The hotel informed me Prestigia did not transit the reservation and it did not pay the hotel any money. The hotel would not check me in on the reservation. They offered a room at $370/night. None of the funds paid to Prestigia were available to pay down the bill. I disputed the charge with my MasterCard. Prestigia had the audacity to fight it. They claim I was a no show at the hotel. I am still fighting to get my money back. Stay far far away from Prestigia. There is no guarantee with Trivago. They were not interested in my issues. Also beware of sites that Trivago links you to.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

My wife and I were traveling through New Mexico, she used her phone to book a room through Trivago at a resort in Sante Fe. She "screenshot" every step to make sure there were no mistakes, because it was a "no refund" reservation. When we arrived, they could NOT find our reservation. We checked our emailed confirmation and Trivago had booked the room in FLORIDA. The lady at the desk told us there was nothing that she could do, "it happens a lot with using them", and that we needed to call Trivago to correct it.

Well, try that. There is NO phone number that we could find. We emailed. They would get back to us in 48 hours! What good would THAT do? We needed a place to stay that night! We are out $200 because of Trivago, which doesn't include the aggravation and inconvenience that they caused. We contacted them by email. They do not deny their mistake, nor have they done anything to correct it...so far. It has been 2 weeks. We will never use Trivago again.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I liked it a lot since I found everything you are looking for, they have excellent search and offer prayers. They have good search for a first choice for one to know the world and a good holiday.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Great website to compare prices. Be sure to check the booking websites you are transferred to & their ratings. And call hotels ahead of time to make sure your reservation was booked.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I booked the President Hotel in London with Trivago, but ended up being passed on to "Cancelon". Booked twin beds and the charges came off my Mastercard immediately, but when Cancelon emailed confirmation they said that my adult daughter & I would get a 'twin/double' on arrival, whichever was available. I emailed back & protested politely that our flight from Australia arrived at 5 pm. I requested confirmation of twin beds; I didn't want to be forced to share a bed with my daughter because we were 'late' arriving.

Cancelon said the hotel would contact me re my enquiry. Two weeks later I've paid the charge on my MasterCard and contacted Cancelon again, but still no response from The President Hotel. Disgusted with them, I find that I can't get a refund! I must put my booking on their website to see if anyone else wants to 'buy' it!!! Still not resolved, but I curse the day I made contact with shifty, unprofessional Trivago, Cancelon and the President Hotel, Russell Square, London.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trivago?

Original review: July 25, 2018

Very easy to use and was fast response to questions I had prior to booking. On one occasion, I had to cancel and rebook for a later time, and they were very helpful.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I liked the ability to search multiple sites to consider reward points when making our choice of where to stay. Also very easy to use and compare all the options.

Original review: July 22, 2018

I just wanted clarify that after using Travigo site on numerous occasions I was never able to find that the Trivago site provided me with the best pricing available. The claims that they will provide you with the best pricing in one location is not so. I have been able to find a price point with regards to hotel rental on my own at least $50 cheaper. Yes, it take some additional time to search for the hotels on your own but it is totally worth the savings. I would not use Trivago as the sole source for my hotel search. However, what I would recommend is do your own due diligence and search for a hotel using Trivago. Then do the same just searching on your own. I can guarantee you will find that searching on your own is more fruitful and will save you a significant amount.

Original review: July 21, 2018

We have booked an Hotel (5*) through Trivago that they linked us to Bedfinder.com for the best price. We paid OK. When we arrive the hotel, hotel reception asked our documents and we showed it. They said our booking agency (Bedfinder) registered as English nationality, and hotel market prices is different for all countries, we are from Turkey. The hotel also in Turkey, They charged 900 Euro extra.

Trivago is like search motor that doesn't need anything. Google is better. It's like Chinese copy of sky scanner and other prices checkers. We waited at reception 4 hours, our 1 day is gone because of Bedfinder. In registration no one asks nationality or anything but they asked us English passports. Also Bedfinder agency is Swiss. I think also in USA, but their support like Indian agency. Atleast anyone who think to us Trivago or Bedfinder please wake up, they are like Chinese edition of other websites. You know which websites I'm talking. We've proof and all documents about what we paid and what was we paid before. Trivago? Never again.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I use Trivago to see what room are going for, then call directly. I've also used them for airlines. But if I use Trivago, or Expedia, I don't get my rewards points.

Original review: July 19, 2018

Had a very good time on the trip. It was many years ago. Had two shows and a hotel & rental car booked. Hotel was everything that they said it would be.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I am very upset with my experience both with your site and with what is apparently a partner of yours - a company called Cancelon. Earlier today I searched for and booked a hotel stay for my family's vacation through your site. At the time I booked, it was not at all clear to me that what I was actually doing was paying a third party company I have never heard of, a "travel agency", to book this hotel for me. This only became apparent after I booked, and received an email confirmation from a company called Cancelon. This email, which was missing key information that should have been included but was apparently omitted through a technical issue of some kind, was the first alert that something was amiss.

I contacted the support number in the email and the relationship between Trivago and Cancelon was explained to me. I was assured I would "receive several more emails" from Cancelon and that one of them would contain a "voucher" that I would need to print out and present at the hotel during check-in, to prove I paid for the reservation. So, I awaited this voucher, which arrived several hours later. This voucher, is literally a PDF that says "THE CUSTOMER PREPAID FOR THE ABOVE MENTIONED SERVICES". This is like giving me a piece of paper with the words "give this guy whatever he wants" on it and telling me to just hand it to the clerk during check-in, patting me on the arm and telling me everything will be fine! The voucher has a booking number that is internal to Cancelon, only. I called the hotel and as feared, they show no reservation for me in their system.

Later, I noticed in the header of the email to which the voucher was attached, the following unbelievable statement: "We'll send your final hotel confirmation number a day before check in". SERIOUSLY? I should pack my kids up and drive across the state not having confirmed that I have a hotel room when I arrive? Would you do that? Better yet, would the CEO of your company feel comfortable doing that?

I am totally blown away at the way this process has worked so far and it is proof to me that you don't monitor your "partners" at all or care about how they treat your customers. A quick search for reviews of CancelOn confirms some of the nightmare encounters I can only now hope I don't end up going through. I am very, very disappointed with this experience and the "bait and switch" approach you employ. You can rest assured that I will tell anyone I can about this and warn them away from your organization. On my way to Google Reviews...

Original review: July 13, 2018

Trivago generally leads to the best prices available. It gives you a good snapshot of rooms available at most hotels. We have never had problems with a hotel booked through Trivago. It's the best one stop site.

Original review: July 11, 2018

You would get immediate response from Trivago and the entire process of booking would take a few minutes. Service is the key factor. Hence you could always bank on this service.

Original review: July 10, 2018

Prices not that much lower. Could see other companies rates and offers in comparison. Seems to give the same kind of services the others do, different software.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I have a hotel with approximately 1000 reviews between Booking.com, Airbnb and TripAdvisor. The score in their website is really inaccurate, for me they only use 130 reviews and really bad ones. I had to register with them to contact them and find out if you pay you get a better score.

Resolution response: May 9, 2018

Expedia have managed to procure a refund from the hotel in question. I am delighted that this has happened but am still dissatisfied with Trivago for posting these cons! This day and age there are a plethora of scams, a company that deals in internet comparisons has a duty of care to their users to not be allowing companies that con people to advertise.

Original review: May 9, 2018

While helping my daughter and son in law book a hotel for one night stay in Ireland, I found a great deal on Trivago via Expedia. The dates were not the one they wanted but had under dates, change dates? So I did that. It was just the day before so my son in law put his details in as the offer did not change. As soon as the payment was taken the dates flipped back. We are currently still dealing as Expedia stated we could have the dates but for an extra 77+ £’sss. We have asked for a refund as this is unacceptable. On trying to get Trivago’s help, there is no assistance from them. They are complicit in comparing sites for fraudulent deals and the changes are fraudulent too. The hotel refuse to give refunds and that is also unacceptable. The travel industry need to look into this and stop robbing people! Absolutely disgusted. I will now be posting this on all social media sites, so this cannot be done to anyone else.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I had booked my room through Trivago at Hotel Pennsylvania in Manhattan and upon arrival the rooms were no longer available. Trivago decided to lecture me instead of rectifying the situation. I was left to wander the streets. Left without a room. Drives back two hours.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I found a good rate on Trivago. Verified the location and dates. Booked the hotel. Then I got the email confirmation. It wasn't even in the same state, or the same coast. Booked a place in South Florida, got a confirmation in Oregon. Since it was a prepaid rate I had to fight with the hotel to get a refund. Trivago refused to assist.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I was able to compare prices from all the hotels within the town/city I was planning to visit. It saved me a lot of time and energy. Also, the layout of the website and various hotel prices is easy to understand and navigate.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

Caveat Emptor. I went to the Trivago website to make a reservation for Miami South Beach this summer. The website said the reservation was cancelable at no penalty until April 20. But after my credit card information was taken, the reservation was confirmed with NO CANCELLATION on it. I have tried many times to reason with Cancelon about this through emails, but with no luck. It still insists the reservation is not cancelable.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I tried this site a couple years ago while on traveling on vacation looking for a hotel that offered free WIFI and breakfast. This site doesn't allow look for hotels with that criteria. I have to find a hotel with these features then use Trivago to find the best deal for that hotel. Too time-consuming to be useful to save a few dollars.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Trivago is competitively priced with other travel sites, rarely a difference in hotel room prices with other popular online booking sites. The benefit is how easily navigated the site is, and the information is more readily available at first glance. That said, I have priced hotel rooms on Trivago and then visited the actual hotel site to compare their pricing, which is often offering an internet discount. More than once, I have had a price match or a slightly lower price. Since taxes are based on the price, the combined total price can be enough of a savings to consider further research.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Fairmont Motor Lodge - The fact that this motel has two pictures up of two totally different motels, when only one, the shabby one is actually the real motel is a breach of ethics. So if I were Trivago, I'd stop punting a motel that obviously has no issue with pretending to be something they are not. You will not accept my files as proof, but I still expect this review to be posted, as it's not my fault your system refuses to accept them, when every other company I deal with does.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Please do yourselves a favour and stay away from this Over the Mountain Guest Farm tea garden for we received very poor quality of food and drinks... My husband ordered plunger coffee but received coffee so weak we could actually see through it and it tasted horrible... I ordered Rooibos tea but instead, I received normal English tea! When we received our food, the cinnamon and sugar pancakes were very salty and my husband's griddle cake were like a slamming cake. When we politely complained about the drinks at first they disputed our concern and asked us to rather leave and without making a scene we're leaving in disbelief of what had just happened! Nevertheless we put R100 on the table and just left. We are very disappointed in the manager's attitude towards us as well as the way he handled this complaint. How can this place be awarded a four-star rating by treating it's customers this way?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Trivago you need to be aware of a scam within your site! Will be careful to not go to Trivago again! Do NOT use HotelPower.com -- COMPLETE scam! I booked a hotel with them via Trivago, they took my money then everyday for 6 days I called them and chatted via their website begging for my hotel confirmation number. I also kept calling the hotel and they did NOT have my reservation! When you call HotelPower.com they are as friendly as hell and ask you for 'just another day' to find out what's going on.

Shame on me for not reading all the negative reviews about them because all the reviews are spot on! I finally called the day before my travel and asked for my money back. I was very straight forward with the lady on the phone and told her she works for a company who scams people and started reading her some reviews! Ha! Finally said I will stop payment from my credit card. Thankfully my bank did refund my money as they know of this scam! The day I checked out of another hotel (reservation made by me) HotelPower.com left me a voicemail with my so called hotel confirmation! Really? The day after? Idiots!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

In August, I booked a room through Trivago. Because it was my first time booking with the company, I called the hotel 1 week later to confirm the online booking & the room assignment. The hotel said they never received the reservation from Trivago. Bedfinder sent me a confirmation & $709 was deducted from my credit card, but I did not have a confirmed reservation with the hotel. After numerous phone calls & emails, I finally called again tonight only to find out that Bedfinder has cancelled my reservation because they claim that they could not secure my reservation with the hotel. This reservation was for a Summer 2018 event during peak season & now, here I am, 3 1/2 months later without a reservation & all of the remaining hotels are 2-3 times more expensive than they were in August. I should definitely be compensated in some sort of way by Bedfinder/Trivago. At the very least, they should've found me a comparable hotel. This is horrible!!!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I booked a hotel room through Trivago. They charged my credit card for $251. I then received a confirmation email from Cancelon, a third party site. In the email it says that Cancelon will give me the actual hotel confirmation the night before check in. WHAT??? I called the hotel 3 times to make sure they had a valid reservation under my name and of course they found nothing. I called Cancelon and they said they would forward the confirmation over. Of course, nothing received and after waiting a week the hotel still had no confirmation. I cancelled the reservation (even though there was none to begin with). I am nervous now that this scam company stole my credit card info. I'm waiting for a refund on my card now. After a week I will call the cc company and hope we can dispute the fraudulent charge. DO NOT USE TRIVAGO. SCAM.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Beware. I signed up for Trivago Hotel Manager PRO for one year at a cost of £268.83. I was not told in the sales pitch that I would automatically be signed up for the following year (unless I opted out) at a cost of £431.28 - nearly double the price.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I just spent 45 minutes trying to book this room on trivago. The system told me it was "checking for availability". It showed the rate it was available. I attempted to enter my credit card three times and kept getting a message that I entered my card wrong. The message advised me to contact an agent for further information. I finally called an agent and was informed that there are no more rooms available at this rate but for only $15 more or something like that, I could book the room. This is blatant false advertising! If the rooms at the $200 rate are no longer available, your webmaster needs to change it immediately. Then having a message about a credit card issue is doubly deceptive!

A day later, after posting this information on trivago's Facebook messenger, I received an email from "Alex" that asked me to call him so he could help me with special VIP pricing. I called and was put on a 12 minute wait. "Henri" came on the phone and said that Alex was not available but unfortunately, all the rates "changed today". Henri wanted to help me find a "cheaper" room. I see the posting for the Hyatt in Coral Gables HAS been removed. These people ALL speak with broken English and this is a true scam operation. If this was my last option for getting a hotel room - I would NEVER travel again!

trivago Company Information