trivago
1.85/5

Looking for a travel site?

trivago

Looking for a travel site?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

trivago Reviews

Original review: July 20, 2018

I use Trivago to see what room are going for, then call directly. I've also used them for airlines. But if I use Trivago, or Expedia, I don't get my rewards points.

Original review: July 19, 2018

Had a very good time on the trip. It was many years ago. Had two shows and a hotel & rental car booked. Hotel was everything that they said it would be.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: July 18, 2018

It was very helpful to have Trivago for my trip to Hershey with my friends. We were able to find an affordable hotel that accommodated all of our individual needs, and that was walking distance from everything we wanted to see. Highly recommend!

Original review: July 13, 2018

I am very upset with my experience both with your site and with what is apparently a partner of yours - a company called Cancelon. Earlier today I searched for and booked a hotel stay for my family's vacation through your site. At the time I booked, it was not at all clear to me that what I was actually doing was paying a third party company I have never heard of, a "travel agency", to book this hotel for me. This only became apparent after I booked, and received an email confirmation from a company called Cancelon. This email, which was missing key information that should have been included but was apparently omitted through a technical issue of some kind, was the first alert that something was amiss.

I contacted the support number in the email and the relationship between Trivago and Cancelon was explained to me. I was assured I would "receive several more emails" from Cancelon and that one of them would contain a "voucher" that I would need to print out and present at the hotel during check-in, to prove I paid for the reservation. So, I awaited this voucher, which arrived several hours later. This voucher, is literally a PDF that says "THE CUSTOMER PREPAID FOR THE ABOVE MENTIONED SERVICES". This is like giving me a piece of paper with the words "give this guy whatever he wants" on it and telling me to just hand it to the clerk during check-in, patting me on the arm and telling me everything will be fine! The voucher has a booking number that is internal to Cancelon, only. I called the hotel and as feared, they show no reservation for me in their system.

Later, I noticed in the header of the email to which the voucher was attached, the following unbelievable statement: "We'll send your final hotel confirmation number a day before check in". SERIOUSLY? I should pack my kids up and drive across the state not having confirmed that I have a hotel room when I arrive? Would you do that? Better yet, would the CEO of your company feel comfortable doing that?

I am totally blown away at the way this process has worked so far and it is proof to me that you don't monitor your "partners" at all or care about how they treat your customers. A quick search for reviews of CancelOn confirms some of the nightmare encounters I can only now hope I don't end up going through. I am very, very disappointed with this experience and the "bait and switch" approach you employ. You can rest assured that I will tell anyone I can about this and warn them away from your organization. On my way to Google Reviews...

Original review: July 13, 2018

Trivago generally leads to the best prices available. It gives you a good snapshot of rooms available at most hotels. We have never had problems with a hotel booked through Trivago. It's the best one stop site.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trivago?

Original review: July 11, 2018

You would get immediate response from Trivago and the entire process of booking would take a few minutes. Service is the key factor. Hence you could always bank on this service.

Original review: July 10, 2018

Prices not that much lower. Could see other companies rates and offers in comparison. Seems to give the same kind of services the others do, different software.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I have a hotel with approximately 1000 reviews between Booking.com, Airbnb and TripAdvisor. The score in their website is really inaccurate, for me they only use 130 reviews and really bad ones. I had to register with them to contact them and find out if you pay you get a better score.

Resolution response: May 9, 2018

Expedia have managed to procure a refund from the hotel in question. I am delighted that this has happened but am still dissatisfied with Trivago for posting these cons! This day and age there are a plethora of scams, a company that deals in internet comparisons has a duty of care to their users to not be allowing companies that con people to advertise.

Original review: May 9, 2018

While helping my daughter and son in law book a hotel for one night stay in Ireland, I found a great deal on Trivago via Expedia. The dates were not the one they wanted but had under dates, change dates? So I did that. It was just the day before so my son in law put his details in as the offer did not change. As soon as the payment was taken the dates flipped back. We are currently still dealing as Expedia stated we could have the dates but for an extra 77+ £’sss. We have asked for a refund as this is unacceptable. On trying to get Trivago’s help, there is no assistance from them. They are complicit in comparing sites for fraudulent deals and the changes are fraudulent too. The hotel refuse to give refunds and that is also unacceptable. The travel industry need to look into this and stop robbing people! Absolutely disgusted. I will now be posting this on all social media sites, so this cannot be done to anyone else.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I had booked my room through Trivago at Hotel Pennsylvania in Manhattan and upon arrival the rooms were no longer available. Trivago decided to lecture me instead of rectifying the situation. I was left to wander the streets. Left without a room. Drives back two hours.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I found a good rate on Trivago. Verified the location and dates. Booked the hotel. Then I got the email confirmation. It wasn't even in the same state, or the same coast. Booked a place in South Florida, got a confirmation in Oregon. Since it was a prepaid rate I had to fight with the hotel to get a refund. Trivago refused to assist.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I was able to compare prices from all the hotels within the town/city I was planning to visit. It saved me a lot of time and energy. Also, the layout of the website and various hotel prices is easy to understand and navigate.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

Caveat Emptor. I went to the Trivago website to make a reservation for Miami South Beach this summer. The website said the reservation was cancelable at no penalty until April 20. But after my credit card information was taken, the reservation was confirmed with NO CANCELLATION on it. I have tried many times to reason with Cancelon about this through emails, but with no luck. It still insists the reservation is not cancelable.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I tried this site a couple years ago while on traveling on vacation looking for a hotel that offered free WIFI and breakfast. This site doesn't allow look for hotels with that criteria. I have to find a hotel with these features then use Trivago to find the best deal for that hotel. Too time-consuming to be useful to save a few dollars.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Trivago is competitively priced with other travel sites, rarely a difference in hotel room prices with other popular online booking sites. The benefit is how easily navigated the site is, and the information is more readily available at first glance. That said, I have priced hotel rooms on Trivago and then visited the actual hotel site to compare their pricing, which is often offering an internet discount. More than once, I have had a price match or a slightly lower price. Since taxes are based on the price, the combined total price can be enough of a savings to consider further research.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Fairmont Motor Lodge - The fact that this motel has two pictures up of two totally different motels, when only one, the shabby one is actually the real motel is a breach of ethics. So if I were Trivago, I'd stop punting a motel that obviously has no issue with pretending to be something they are not. You will not accept my files as proof, but I still expect this review to be posted, as it's not my fault your system refuses to accept them, when every other company I deal with does.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Please do yourselves a favour and stay away from this Over the Mountain Guest Farm tea garden for we received very poor quality of food and drinks... My husband ordered plunger coffee but received coffee so weak we could actually see through it and it tasted horrible... I ordered Rooibos tea but instead, I received normal English tea! When we received our food, the cinnamon and sugar pancakes were very salty and my husband's griddle cake were like a slamming cake. When we politely complained about the drinks at first they disputed our concern and asked us to rather leave and without making a scene we're leaving in disbelief of what had just happened! Nevertheless we put R100 on the table and just left. We are very disappointed in the manager's attitude towards us as well as the way he handled this complaint. How can this place be awarded a four-star rating by treating it's customers this way?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Trivago you need to be aware of a scam within your site! Will be careful to not go to Trivago again! Do NOT use HotelPower.com -- COMPLETE scam! I booked a hotel with them via Trivago, they took my money then everyday for 6 days I called them and chatted via their website begging for my hotel confirmation number. I also kept calling the hotel and they did NOT have my reservation! When you call HotelPower.com they are as friendly as hell and ask you for 'just another day' to find out what's going on.

Shame on me for not reading all the negative reviews about them because all the reviews are spot on! I finally called the day before my travel and asked for my money back. I was very straight forward with the lady on the phone and told her she works for a company who scams people and started reading her some reviews! Ha! Finally said I will stop payment from my credit card. Thankfully my bank did refund my money as they know of this scam! The day I checked out of another hotel (reservation made by me) HotelPower.com left me a voicemail with my so called hotel confirmation! Really? The day after? Idiots!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

In August, I booked a room through Trivago. Because it was my first time booking with the company, I called the hotel 1 week later to confirm the online booking & the room assignment. The hotel said they never received the reservation from Trivago. Bedfinder sent me a confirmation & $709 was deducted from my credit card, but I did not have a confirmed reservation with the hotel. After numerous phone calls & emails, I finally called again tonight only to find out that Bedfinder has cancelled my reservation because they claim that they could not secure my reservation with the hotel. This reservation was for a Summer 2018 event during peak season & now, here I am, 3 1/2 months later without a reservation & all of the remaining hotels are 2-3 times more expensive than they were in August. I should definitely be compensated in some sort of way by Bedfinder/Trivago. At the very least, they should've found me a comparable hotel. This is horrible!!!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I booked a hotel room through Trivago. They charged my credit card for $251. I then received a confirmation email from Cancelon, a third party site. In the email it says that Cancelon will give me the actual hotel confirmation the night before check in. WHAT??? I called the hotel 3 times to make sure they had a valid reservation under my name and of course they found nothing. I called Cancelon and they said they would forward the confirmation over. Of course, nothing received and after waiting a week the hotel still had no confirmation. I cancelled the reservation (even though there was none to begin with). I am nervous now that this scam company stole my credit card info. I'm waiting for a refund on my card now. After a week I will call the cc company and hope we can dispute the fraudulent charge. DO NOT USE TRIVAGO. SCAM.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Beware. I signed up for Trivago Hotel Manager PRO for one year at a cost of £268.83. I was not told in the sales pitch that I would automatically be signed up for the following year (unless I opted out) at a cost of £431.28 - nearly double the price.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I just spent 45 minutes trying to book this room on trivago. The system told me it was "checking for availability". It showed the rate it was available. I attempted to enter my credit card three times and kept getting a message that I entered my card wrong. The message advised me to contact an agent for further information. I finally called an agent and was informed that there are no more rooms available at this rate but for only $15 more or something like that, I could book the room. This is blatant false advertising! If the rooms at the $200 rate are no longer available, your webmaster needs to change it immediately. Then having a message about a credit card issue is doubly deceptive!

A day later, after posting this information on trivago's Facebook messenger, I received an email from "Alex" that asked me to call him so he could help me with special VIP pricing. I called and was put on a 12 minute wait. "Henri" came on the phone and said that Alex was not available but unfortunately, all the rates "changed today". Henri wanted to help me find a "cheaper" room. I see the posting for the Hyatt in Coral Gables HAS been removed. These people ALL speak with broken English and this is a true scam operation. If this was my last option for getting a hotel room - I would NEVER travel again!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Trivago says they find cheapest price for same accommodation, this is untrue. They point towards Expedia and their associates as Expedia is a part owner of trivago, how I know this you might ask? Well I am a hotel operator and I have been testing them, I list rooms through booking.com at lower rate and Expedia at higher rate, Booking.com does not get a mention, so I remove Expedia, Booking.com then gets a mention, I put Expedia back on, and poor old Booking.com is removed again, remember I listed Expedia an extra $15 higher than Booking.com, trivago works for Expedia not for the traveller.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

Don't use this service if you travel with pets. I used this search to make a hotel reservation when traveling with a small dog. I used the filter to only show hotels accepting pets, made a reservation, then arrived at the hotel and was told I could not bring in the pet and I could not cancel and get any type of refund. The pet was supposed to stay outside in the car in over 100-degree temps. This is not acceptable. I wound up wasting a lot of money as I could not cancel the reservation. I will never use Trivago again.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Booked a hotel stay with Trivago. Book a room at the Omni Hotel in Pittsburgh. Was charge immediately more than that was viewed on the site. I called to get credited. I was charged $48 per night extra. I was there for three nights. I called and was transferred to a booking site in Germany. They told me they would correct it. They sent me an email. I've contacted them several times with no help. I will never book with them again. Paying upfront on trying to get your money back is becoming impossible. They do not have their own booking website unlike Hotel Tonight which deals with things immediately. I will never use Trivago again. All they are is an advertising site and use bookings.com, that you are European call center.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

We tried to book a specific weekend thru Trivago. The website did not show dates unavailable, and when we clicked next - a wrong date was populated, asking if we wanted to make the reservation. Called Trivago's # to troubleshoot. The man kept cutting me off - saying the dates were unavailable in any hotel in Fayetteville, AR, and he didn't want "to get my hopes up". Tried to have us consider Springdale or Bentonville or alternative dates. We didn't want a long drive each day for three days. He kept saying ain't and calling me "Barb", and would not acknowledge my request. Barely able to get a word in edgewise, I corrected him on my name, Barbara or Mrs. ________, and my dates in Fayetteville, AR weren't negotiable. He again cut me off, and I hung up. Hotels.com got the job done.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

Trivago service put us in the hands of Cancelon.com. We booked Hotel Name: Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara. Address: 1111 East Cabrillo Blvd, Santa Barbara, Ca.Country: United States. Check in date: Wednesday, 23 August 2017. Check out date: Saturday, 26 August 2017. Number of nights: 3. Room Details: 1 room 2 adults 1 child, ages :[9]. Room Type: Run Of House Double (family Plan)

The hotel has no reservation in the name of my wife. Hyatt Management at the hotel has advised me that their booking for the room and rate is no longer available. There are alternative rooms available for much more money. Hyatt Management has also advised me that they have refused Cancelon pre-payment vouchers because Cancelon has not paid the Hotel. In other words guests have had to pay twice for the room and I will likely have to pay as well. It no appears to be better to pay more directly to the hospitality companies than to be mistreated and ripped off by fly by night companies such as Trivago & Cancelon.com. A consumer end a transaction with peace of mind. Not the opposite, feeling that one has been ripped off

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

Booked into Washington D.C. through TRIVAGO. WILL NEVER BOOK THROUGH TRIVAGO AGAIN!! Clean hotel with somewhat friendly staff. But TRIVAGO does not warn you. When you book with this hotel, watch for all the excessive "extras". For example... $45 US/ night for parking + tax! Room charge $22.62/ night + tax... Hotel services fee Transient (?) $19.95/ night + tax. Crummy website that just gives you the absolute basic rate. Should be against the law to lure people with what appears to be a good value. All in per night should be the norm.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I was left in the middle of the blistering desert with my infant son and wife looking for a hotel that didn't exist in a city I had never been to only to find out trivago.com search engine had sent me to a hotel over 2600 miles away. Do not use trivago.com. Their system is horribly flawed. Long story short trivago.com can't distinguish the difference between state, cities or countries. I was looking at hotels in Lancaster California and it booked my hotel for "The Hotel Lancaster" in Pennsylvania. I called the hotel and found out that it happens all the time, not only for their hotel in Pennsylvania but their sister hotels in Mexico and a few other states as well.

That's not the only problem. In their search it showed availability for the Hampton hotel, luckily I was only a block away and decided not to book online. I drove up and found out the website was over booking them AGAIN because it did not update properly. Overall all I have to say is that trivago.com is a joke. I'll take my chances somewhere else.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

We booked a French Quarter Inn in Charleston, SC. They had no record of our booking the room. Then the booking agent tried to put us in another hotel. I paid upfront for French Quarter Inn. They then wanted to refund my money when I was to be there in 3 days. I will not use Trivago again, nor Cancelon who booked the room.

trivago Company Information