2. Travel

trivago

trivago
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.78/5

trivago Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about trivago?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trivago?

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

In September 2019 I booked a hotel for 5 nights in Scottsdale, Arizona for a December arrival. The site required prepayment. I prepaid my 5 day stay. The booking was fully refundable. I noticed on my bank card that the charge was to a company called OTEL in Istanbul, Turkey instead of Trivago. Even my bank wanted to know if I had traveled to Turkey. Upon inspection, I found that Trivago uses “partners” to Actually perform the booking, hence, OTEL.

In November my plans changed and I no longer needed the reservation. I tried to cancel on the OTEL website and the pop-up I received repeatedly indicated that I had no reservation. “You have no trips”, it said. I resorted to online Chat with a Rep who said that she canceled the reservation and would send a confirmation email and my money would be returned within 2 weeks. Nothing happened. I kept trying to cancel online. A week before the scheduled check-in, I get a reminder about the reservation, so I emailed right away to cancel. The reply was that “it is too late to cancel”. So, I am out over $600.00 with no assistance at all. Don’t use this service!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

My son and his girlfriend booked a trip from northern CA to Vegas for his 21st birthday. I paid for my son's trip (6 months ago). Arrived at the airport only to have them say Trivago had cancelled the reservation! The airport put them on the flight they were supposed to be on, but United’s plane broke down and the 6am flight became a 3pm flight. They missed their connecting flight in LA. They were supposed to be in Vegas at 10am and arrived at 9pm, they lost an entire day and the compensation they got was $10!! It’s outrageous. Won’t ever book thru them again. Super disappointed with trivago, united airlines and allegiant airport in Stockton,CA

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I booked a hotel stay that offered free breakfast. When the email conformation came it said no meal plan. I have tried to resolve this issue thru several emails. The customer service is nonexistent! They are hiding in Germany. They take your money and do nothing except send endless emails. I will never use this website again! Buyers Beware!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

So we booked a hotel online through Trivago and when we showed up at the hotel 3 weeks later we found out our reservation had been cancelled 3 days after we had made the reservation. Our mistake - I thought the confirmation went to my husband and he thought it went to me - we didn't realize that we never got a confirmation email until the day of our trip. Even so, they did charge our CrCard so we figured we would be ok. Luckily the hotel had some rooms (extra $100 night ugh... lesson learned)...

When I called 'LoveVacations' they confirmed that our reservation had been cancelled 3 days after we booked the hotel but couldn't specify a reason why. They also said they tried to contact us. I confirmed that they had the correct email for my husband so there was no reason we shouldn't have received the original confirmation and the cancellation. We even checked our spam and junk folders but nothing there - e.g. nothing was ever sent. In hindsight - I'm thinking they couldn't honor the night/rate they gave us so they just cancelled. Why we never got any emails will remain a mystery. They did say we should have a credit within 72 hours - we'll see. In summary - I'll never use this sight again and I will warn anyone I know to steer clear.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

I booked a room late August 2019 in good faith, for the first time with Trivago. My confirmation came through for a different hotel. They told me to rebook the correct hotel with themselves and they would compensate me. This I did believing it to be safe because I have it in writing. Up until the 31st October 2019 they have been apologising for the delay. Now they have stopped communicating at all. I can't get them by email, phone, internet sites. They have become a ghost.

It's £100 that they promised me. Not especially a large amount but thank goodness for that. Imagine your frustration at not being able to communicate with a company that advertise Nationally and you think would be trustworthy. To be on the safe side I would advise not to trust your money with company because you have no way of getting in contact with them to query anything.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

BUYER BEWARE TRIVAGO!!!! I wanted to share my story about booking a vacation on Trivago. I don’t want anyone to fall into the trap I did. I booked a vacation a few weeks ago to Cancun for six nights through Trivago. When I booked it it said it was through a “partner” called Love vacations or holiday (something like that..). Anyway in the process of booking it I duplicated the request which they were ever so eager to charge my card for almost 8k. I called the next morning to tell them I only wanted the one vacation and they told me they would not charge the second one since it was still pending and that it would take three days to confirm whether the booking they sold me was even available.... Are you kidding me? Thank goodness I hadn’t booked the airfare that night.

It took six days and about six phone calls to Mexico and England trying to get a real human to take a call and confirm this booking was even confirmed. I started to get anxious when I saw the nearly 8k charge went from a pending to an actual charge. I started reading bad reviews about this “partner”. Finally on the sixth day I got a call from someone in England and guess what? That room I booked was not available... I was furious. So I told them to refund the money and that they had still not refunded the double booking at this point either.

Two days go by and then they finally refund my money for both charges. I thought this was all resolved until today.. They charged my card again almost three weeks later for the same amount for a booking that they can’t fulfill! This is insane. I thought by going through Trivago a reputable booking site that this would be painless. However, it has turned out to be a nightmare. BE CAREFUL!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

We booked our hotel online and tried to reach out to Trivago to cancel. There is no number to call to speak with someone, it is all through emails which they have not responded to yet. I would never book with them again! A very frustrating experience.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I made a reservation to stay at the same resort as my daughter who only gets to visit once a year, & received a confirmation letter. I got to the resort and was told they had no reservation. I had to go elsewhere, & was lucky to find a room in Clearwater Beach, FL as it was an event weekend which brings in tens of thousands people. This took away from the time I had to spend with my daughter, and left a very bad taste in my mouth for Trivago.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I used this site to search for a hotel room. I've had great success through Priceline and Hotels.com. Thought they were all trustworthy. Not so. I booked and paid for a room for my family. Two weeks before our trip I contacted the hotel and found out that the travel agency (Amoma - 3,000 reviews on one site with a 4.4/5 rating) listed on Trivago had actually sold my booking to a 4th party who cancelled the reservation after they were paid. Completely unreliable, and ultimately a scam. Untrustworthy

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

On Monday, September 23, I booked a hotel room at the Quality Suites Laval for Wednesday, September 25th. I never received the email confirming the reservation. But I printed the confirmation from the screen at the time of booking. Monday late afternoon, I am asked to cancel the hotel room, it was no longer required. Since I have never received the email, I do not have the link to cancel the room. I tried several times to cancel directly with Trivago. I am told that I have to wait 72 hours before receiving the confirmation email, which will never come. Then I am told that Trivago is a price comparison site, that they cannot access my reservation, that I have to contact the booking site used. Since I have never received the confirmation email, I do not know where the reservation came from.

I call the hotel directly, they say they have received a booking request by email from MIKI Travel. I am trying to reach MIKI Travel by email. No response from them. I tried to call the numbers provided on the screenshot, no signal, I cannot call from Quebec. I call my bank to stop payment, I'm told it's impossible. They confirmed that the transaction comes from Trip.Com Canada. I try again to send an email to Trip.Com, no response from them. In short, since Monday, September 23 and as of today, Monday, September 30. I have not received a reservation confirmation email or replies to the many emails sent. I booked over 500K$ in hotel and travels per year, this is so far the worst experience I had.

trivago Company Information