trivago
1.90/5

Looking for a travel site?

trivago

Looking for a travel site?

132 trivago Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

Book my hotel at 10:35am with confirmation of room hotel and date. After 12 hours at 10:55pm received an email that my reservation was canceled and my money will be refund in 10 days. I called their 24 hour customer service and spoke to someone whose accent is worse than mine and saying I need to go to the website of that hotel and try if there still available room???? Explaining that it take 24 hours to confirm my booking which I never have in my email. The worse part they will return my money in 10 days. I felt I got scammed, false statement as well as no accountability for their mistake. As they just wanna use my money for 10 days somewhere else. Wonder how many people they do this every day.

Original review: July 31, 2019

I made an enquiry on the 15th June for a trip I have coming up at the end of August to Leeds. Trivago came up with a deal with Trivago and I clicked to go through and book. I was somewhat surprised to receive an email from the hotel recently asking me to review them? I then realised that the booking date had been made for the 15th June, the date I made the inquiry. Not only that, but the hotel made no attempt to contact me when I did not turn up. Expedia have told me that this happens quite often with links from Trivago, though they have behaved like "Gentlemen" and returned the money to me that the hotel took from my account. I think that Trivago cannot be trusted in view of this experience.

Original review: July 25, 2019

After hearing all the recent ads about "Last Room" I went to Trivago. To start with, the result of the search ended up with a "last room" available result. I was redirected to a partner to complete the reservation, to which I received a confirmation of the "order" but not a reservation. I was told I would receive the final confirmation within 48 hours. 48 hours passed and nothing. So I contacted the vendor. They indicated that the reservation was still being booked. They went to complete it while I was on the phone and now said there was no availability. They were not able to get me a suitable replacement. So I ended up with nothing 3 days later and proceeded to find an alternative (not as good or convenient) on my own.

Original review: July 23, 2019

I used trivago to book a room at Disney's Dolphin hotel in June. It was done through a 3rd party company called Global Travel. The listing showed the reservation included free parking and I called the company to confirm before I booked. Upon check out I was charged for 3 days of parking at $25 a day. After contacting Global Travel and going back and forth for 2 months my case was handed over to trivago. They did issue my refund though I wasn't happy to have to do it via PayPal (trivago required a swift code and my bank doesn't have one).

I realize trivago is not directly to blame for this but they allow these shady 3rd party agencies on their site. And I don't understand why it took 2 months for this to get sent to them or why the money couldn't go directly back on my card that I paid with. This never should've happened and definitely shouldn't have taken so long to resolve. From now on I will book directly with the hotel. I do not recommend trivago or the agencies on their site.

Original review: July 23, 2019

In March I booked a hotel in Pittsburgh for our 25th anniversary and a Phillies game. When my husband and I arrived at the hotel informed us that the reservation had been cancelled. The manager told us that had happened with many reservations. They researched this problem and found that the company Hotels For Everyone had gone out of business and cancelled the reservations they had made without notifying their customers. Needless to say they also did not refund any of us. Apparently Trivago does not keep up with their their 3rd party booking sites. I recommend that you STAY AWAY from Trivago!! We’re out almost $500 and I can’t speak to a person at Trivago!!! Subsequently, we had to book a different hotel that was double the price. I guess if something seems too good to be true it usually is!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trivago?

Original review: July 21, 2019

Trivago advertises the best price but it's a bait and switch. They confirmed a hotel at the Marriott and 2 weeks later said it was not available. They said they could put me in the Night Hotel Times Square for the same price. Worst hotel ever and I paid 2 times the going rate!! Never knew who to call or where to go to get a refund. The hotel said they did not know what I paid, WHAT A SCAM!!!

Original review: July 21, 2019

Every time before booking a hotel or vacation I like to shop around on the internet. After trying it for more than once decided to stop wasting my time by checking at this website for "cheaper prices". They never show any good deals.

Original review: July 10, 2019

My issue with Trivago is that they don't sort out the bad travel companies. When you book you don't get to see how a company is rated (because they don't have a system for it). I Travel a 100+ days a year and can highly recommend Hotels.com, Expedia, Hot Wire, TravelZoo, AirBNB, HomeAway, VRBO, Priceline.com, Orbitz.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Amoma and Hotels Tonight. The only company I can't recommend is LoveHolidays (LoveVactions.com) - I booked a room through them (via Trivago) and when there was an issue they were impossible get a hold of and no help at all. I wish Trivago weeded the bad apples out to gave a rating system so travelers could.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I searched a hotel and when you click on deals it took me to Agoda.com and finished my booking. Now the hotel/resort guys say that the room is never booked. I paid using a credit card and I need refund.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I booked a room to 6 nights at Cabo Villa and Beach Resort. On the Trivago site it listed a price of right around $1537. It also said that their PARTNER - CANCELON will be booking this reservation. So I pressed accept and the next thing I know it’s over $2090 BUT I pressed accept accidentally. So, I immediately call CANCELON to cancel the reservation. They said "Sorry” and that you can cancel for a fee of between $200-$300 but you can’t just cancel the reservation. UNBELIEVABLE!!! NO LIE, I called immediately after making the reservation.

Wait....it gets BETTER. So CANCELON did say if I find a cheaper rate they will match it. So that evening I went searching. I found a rate for $1402.18 for the exact same room, at the exact same time. I found it on KAYAK. Yes, KAYAK. So I called CANCELON to tell them. They said to take screen shots and email it to them, so I did. After going back and forth with the rep he said that mgt. will cancel my reservation with them at no charge.... I SAID, "THE HELL YOU WILL. YOU WILL DO AS YOU SAID YOU WOULD DO AND MATCH THE PRICE so I don’t have to do all the work to make the reservation". After many minutes of arguing they refused to match the price.

BOTTOM LINE: You need to stay away from Trivago and its partner CANCELON. I don't even know if it's legal to not be able to cancel a reservation immediately after making the reservation BUT if it is legal then you really want to stay away from these companies. There was no need for the stress and hours of bs on the phone with them. On Trivago there's a price but be careful, once you click on the price it takes you to another page with added costs so don't click fast like I did. You should never use Trivago or Cancelon. KAYAK was very easy to work with and was upfront about the total cost from the beginning. NOTE: I do not work for or have any ownership in KAYAK ownership in KAYAK.

trivago Company Information