trivago
1.97/5

Looking for a travel site?

trivago

Looking for a travel site?

118 trivago Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 13, 2019

Arrived, got key for the room. The gym was nice, room not so big, bed clean and neat. Bathroom was clean and small. AC wasn't quiet as always, too loud. The elevator is old, loud and slow. Better use stairs.

Original review: June 11, 2019

The hotel staff were wonderful and helpful. Unfortunately, the hotel was noisy with barking dogs, children running up and down the hallways every morning and evening and drunk guests having loud conversations in the hallways after a night on the town. The food was "hit or miss".

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I travel extensively for my job as an actor and Trivago is my go to. I just write the name of the city and in no time at all I have a list of motels in every price range and amenity range. I do nuts and bolts, so spas and such are not much consideration, but I have always enjoyed the ease of Trivago use.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I recently booked a week long holiday completely through Trivago. The important aspects of our trip was covered perfectly with them. We have done a fair amount of travel and belong to many Hotel clubs. But, Trivago blew the walls off the high prices offered by these Hotel clubs.

Original review: July 18, 2018

It was very helpful to have Trivago for my trip to Hershey with my friends. We were able to find an affordable hotel that accommodated all of our individual needs, and that was walking distance from everything we wanted to see. Highly recommend!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trivago?

Original review: July 10, 2019

My issue with Trivago is that they don't sort out the bad travel companies. When you book you don't get to see how a company is rated (because they don't have a system for it). I Travel a 100+ days a year and can highly recommend Hotels.com, Expedia, Hot Wire, TravelZoo, AirBNB, HomeAway, VRBO, Priceline.com, Orbitz.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Amoma and Hotels Tonight. The only company I can't recommend is LoveHolidays (LoveVactions.com) - I booked a room through them (via Trivago) and when there was an issue they were impossible get a hold of and no help at all. I wish Trivago weeded the bad apples out to gave a rating system so travelers could.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I searched a hotel and when you click on deals it took me to Agoda.com and finished my booking. Now the hotel/resort guys say that the room is never booked. I paid using a credit card and I need refund.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I booked a room to 6 nights at Cabo Villa and Beach Resort. On the Trivago site it listed a price of right around $1537. It also said that their PARTNER - CANCELON will be booking this reservation. So I pressed accept and the next thing I know it’s over $2090 BUT I pressed accept accidentally. So, I immediately call CANCELON to cancel the reservation. They said "Sorry” and that you can cancel for a fee of between $200-$300 but you can’t just cancel the reservation. UNBELIEVABLE!!! NO LIE, I called immediately after making the reservation.

Wait....it gets BETTER. So CANCELON did say if I find a cheaper rate they will match it. So that evening I went searching. I found a rate for $1402.18 for the exact same room, at the exact same time. I found it on KAYAK. Yes, KAYAK. So I called CANCELON to tell them. They said to take screen shots and email it to them, so I did. After going back and forth with the rep he said that mgt. will cancel my reservation with them at no charge.... I SAID, "THE HELL YOU WILL. YOU WILL DO AS YOU SAID YOU WOULD DO AND MATCH THE PRICE so I don’t have to do all the work to make the reservation". After many minutes of arguing they refused to match the price.

BOTTOM LINE: You need to stay away from Trivago and its partner CANCELON. I don't even know if it's legal to not be able to cancel a reservation immediately after making the reservation BUT if it is legal then you really want to stay away from these companies. There was no need for the stress and hours of bs on the phone with them. On Trivago there's a price but be careful, once you click on the price it takes you to another page with added costs so don't click fast like I did. You should never use Trivago or Cancelon. KAYAK was very easy to work with and was upfront about the total cost from the beginning. NOTE: I do not work for or have any ownership in KAYAK ownership in KAYAK.

Original review: July 2, 2019

With a lot of Trivago TV Commercials lately, I decided to try out the Trivago website. Wow, was that a thousand dollars mistake. I have no idea what kind of relationships they have with Cancelon, I felt like I was being scammed by both of them. Thru Trivago, Cancelon offered me the best price which took me to the Cancelon website to continue my reservation. Boy, the best price is no longer the best price once you get to the end of your reservation process. They have their breakdown of the final totals on the lower left panel where the big and center page is left for you to enter your payment information. By the time you hit the button 'submit' and see the final totals, it will be too late for you to cancel the transaction.

I immediately called Cancelon and they have me wait for 10-15 minutes so I decided to chat with one of their chat supervisor named Chris. Guess what? It's no use. He kept denying me the opportunity to cancel a reservation that was booked a few minutes ago with misleading info. Instead, he offers me the opportunity to sell it. Wow, what a deceptive business concept. First, they make money off you by misleading you into booking. Then they want to make money off you again by giving you no choice but to sell it. With this type of experience, I would never give Trivago and Cancelon any opportunity ever again.

Original review: July 1, 2019

DO NOT USE. I used their site to book at Omni at Amelia Island Plantation Resort Hotel. I clicked on Cancelon.com rate for the main resort. When I called the hotel to confirm I was told that my reservation was for the Villas property and I would not have access to the main hotel property amenities. So I am staying at a property that I could have gotten for $60 per night cheaper if I booked directly with few amenities. Trivago says sorry they are just a gatherer of information. Cancelon says, "sorry not our fault," and you guessed it Omni says, "sorry that is what you booked." Money will not be refunded. I can't determine if this was just an error or an actual fraudulent business practice but none of the companies will step up and make this right.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I had never booked a hotel through Trivago before, but I was going to Washington DC in June and Trivago somehow had rates that were substantially lower than other sites. So I booked a room at the Hilton Garden Inn, Washington DC-U.S. Capitol for $349, including tax. But when I arrived at the hotel--in a drenching rainstorm--I was told they had no record of my reservation. On top of that, the hotel was fully booked. The clerk said I was the third person to show up that day with a Trivago reservation they had no record of. I showed them my confirmation email but the clerk said there was nothing he could do. Turns out Trivago funnels people to third-party bookers, and some of them aren't reputable. (The clerk said the one in my case was called Hotel Beds.)

Fortunately, I had paid for the room through American Express, and they are pursuing a refund. But I still had to find somewhere else to stay. So I resolve NEVER to use Trivago again. Better to book a room directly through a hotel chain's website, or to use Booking.com, which has never let me down. And I'm not so anxious to visit another Hilton Garden Inn, either. They were no help at all in finding me another place to stay.

Original review: June 17, 2019

I tried to research hotel prices in Washington for September 2019. The site seemed easy to use and showed dates when prices were higher or lower so I could adjust dates. I found a few deals that seemed interesting, BUT when I clicked on the deals my departure date had been changed. When I corrected the date, the daily priced DOUBLED. I tried it with Booking.com, Expedia and Hotels.com; all showed the same price doubling when I corrected the date. This shows Trivago is a scam that just puts in fake price to get you to a booking site. This site should be reported to the government for fraud.

Original review: June 14, 2019

Needed a placed to stay the night only. 2 small towels for 2 large people. Water flow was poor, I have no hair on my head and still had troubles getting the shampoo off my head. Room had little in the way of amenities. For the price this is OK.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Hello. My name is Deepak **. I visited the Trivago web portal and booked a hotel for 2 days (3 June to 5 June) at Mussoorie (India). When I reached my destination on the 3rd of June, I found that there is no such hotel in Mussoorie. Then I talked to customer care of trivago to resolve my issue. They just said write an email to info@trivago.com. Still, they did not take any action. Neither didn't refund my money. Thanks and regards. Deepak **

Original review: June 9, 2019

Trivago totally screwed up the reservation so badly, we had to cancel and re-book directly through the hotel/resort! The hotel was the Lapu-Lapu Mactan Airport Hotel-Resort, which is a 5 star hotel and was excellent....BUT DON'T EVER USE TRIVAGO TO BOOK. The hotel has its own website and their staff is EXCELLENT.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I booked a hotel through them. They canceled my reservation, and didn't notify me. I get to the hotel, and they informed me that my reservation had been canceled, and there was nothing they could do. I contacted Trivago, and they said that the reservation had been through a company that worked for them "Hotels For Everyone". They informed me that the company shut down without paying Trivago, so they canceled all their reservations. Trivago should have notified me of that fact. I hope a class action lawsuit comes out of this. That is no way to do business.

Original review: June 6, 2019

Booked a hotel in November for June of 2019 in Bryce Canyon Utah. They charged my card, sent me confirmations. No other correspondence. Get to the hotel after a 10 hour drive, my reservation was canceled in May. No email. No money back. Of course there were no rooms available anywhere because it’s high season. Basically when I went to the link trivago sent with confirmation they said I would have to try and get my money back. Hotels for everyone was out of business. Really TRIVAGO don’t you get your partnerships. I won’t ever use the site again. Back to AAA travel for me. I will be letting all my friends, colleagues, acquaintances and all my kids' followers know NEVER USE TRIVAGO OR EXPEDIA. AAA is free with a membership.

Original review: June 3, 2019

I made a reservation in March 2019 through Trivago for four nights in Cartagena. The charge on my credit card was from Hotels for Everyone for the agreed amount. Two weeks before our arrival in May they notified the hotel that they were canceling our reservation. They did not notify us, nor refund what had been charged on the credit card. We found out when we arrived in Cartagena. Fortunately, there was an available room and we were charged approximately $100 less than we had been paid through the Trivago site. We have tried to contact them, through the various phone numbers and email addresses to no avail. We have filed a fraud claim through our credit card company.

Original review: June 3, 2019

Hotel was overrated. We had stayed at this chain before and rooms as well as service was much better. The room only had a shower no tub. Would not of stayed there if we understood this. The breakfast that was included was terrible. Wouldn’t feed it to my dog. We skipped it and went to Starbucks.

Original review: May 15, 2019

So we booked villa called The Burrow on Trivago. It was nice villa with lake view and stuff for reasonable price so we booked it. Went on the address as mentioned on the site with Google maps, and surprise there is no villa there. Called The Burrow. We tried to search the address for hour or two, asked locals. They said there is no Villa. Called The Burrow here. We also called them but the number was not active, At this point it was quite obvious we got scammed so we reached out to say and they replied they can't do anything about "because you failed to reach location."

Original review: May 13, 2019

I recently booked a resort on Trivago.ca and was quoted C$6.026.00. Being Canadian I only book in Canadian funds and use Canadian website offerings. (i.e. Expedia.ca) I have booked approx. 3 trips a year like that. I thought I would try Trivago.ca. Once booked I received a call from a company called Hotel Power and they asked if I had received a confirmation email regarding my booking. I checked and was horrified to see I had been billed $7657.00 Canadian. I said no that is not the correct amount. They insisted I booked US. I took a screenshot of the booking showing it was Canadian. They said they would get back to me in 7-10 days.

I wasn't comfortable with that due to the amount had been charged to my credit card. I spoke with credit card company and they said I need to ask for the amount to be reversed. I then found a Trivago email and they did answer quite quickly and I forwarded them the info too. They did arrange to credit my account but it ended up being short $149.00. They said it was due to exchange rates fluctuating. I should not be penalized in any way. I was promised it would sent to accounting for followup. I cannot recommend Trivago to anyone at this time.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Trivago is simply a middleman. They book nothing, instead passing your booking on to a 3rd party company. Made a reservation at a hotel in Washington DC on 3/20/19 via Hotels for Everyone. Our credit card was billed within 24 hours. On 5/3/19 I received an email from Hotels for Everyone saying they were going out of business and "unfortunately your hotel reservation has most likely been cancelled by the supplier and you may need to make other arrangements".

I called the hotel that day and was told we had a reservation that was paid for. I called again a week later just to make sure and was told it had been cancelled two days prior by HotelBeds.com??? Be very very careful booking anything through Trivago. A large percentage of their bookings are done through very shady companies. Only deal with legitimate companies such as Expedia or through the hotel chain directly. Booking through anyone else is very risky and most likely a scam.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I did a look up for a hotel for my family vacation in Orlando Florida, found a hotel of my preference and Trivago direct me into Hotelpower.com which did my reservation and gave my a phony reservation number, that of course was not real. The hotel told me somebody cancel my reservation of which I was never inform, they charge my card and up to this date I have not been refunded.

Original review: May 6, 2019

I tried Trivago for the first time to book a trip to Santa Cruz. Made a one night’s reservation for the Chaminade and when I decided to add an additional night a few weeks later, I learned that the “Hotels for Everyone” booker had gone out of business; never made the reservation with the Chaminade and referred me to my bank to be refunded! Trivago has NO phone number, chat or email to contact them directly so I just paid for a stay I will never take with no recourse! Don’t use Trivago! However good the rate is doesn’t matter if you can’t depend on them!

Original review: May 4, 2019

I made reservations for Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas and 2 days before the trip Hotels for Everyone sent a email stating that they were going out of business after 13 years. So my reservation would be cancelled and in order to receive reimbursement I would have to go through my credit card company. Trivago doesn’t care either. They promptly tell you they are only a search engine. Don’t use this site if you want your money and reservation. Major letdown and rip off.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I made a reservation through one of the sites that popped up on a Trivago search. The company, Hotels for Everyone, charged my credit card almost immediately. Three days before my stay, they cancelled my room at a Hampton Inn. I did not receive a refund for the room and am now filing a fraud claim thru my credit card.

Obviously, some of the options that come up during a Trivago search are not legit.

Original review: May 1, 2019

Sure you get a lot of options but the bottom line is that you are purchasing your hotel from a 3rd party. Trivago is a middleman and is only a search engine. I made a reservation for Vegas at The Palms. I received a call asking for a copy of my credit card after the charge went through. SCAM! When I arrived at the hotel the reservation was cancelled and I paid the full rate plus resort fee. Luckily I was refunded from the scam Trivago site. Don't use, it's not worth the hassle.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I placed a reservation through Trivago in late January for the Hilton on Daytona Beach for Saturday March 30th to the morning of the 31st. My daughter was performing/competing across the street at the Convention Center that Sunday. I got into the hotel and I was told by the desk manager at the Hilton that I was moved to another hotel. They claimed to have reached out to me. I had called the Hilton that Wednesday to confirm my reservation. They would not give me exact details because I had gone through a 3rd party but I WAS told that I did have a room. I never received any other follow up calls.

Move up to Saturday and here I was angry and frustrated that I was told I was being sent a few miles down the beach to a different hotel. I immediately got on the phone to Trivago once I was checked in at the new location, but I got a voice mail and was asked to leave a message with my reservation number and contact info. Now this new hotel was ok but NOT up to the quality of the Hilton. Lights were out in the halls. Water stains up near the ceiling inside my room and it was an older building. Ok for a night but not where I had been planning to be for 2 months. Trivago contacted me the following Monday via email and asked for details about me being moved from the Hilton to a lesser quality hotel when I had a reservation AT the Hilton. I gave them dates, contact information and locations. They did some research.

Overall, this took about 10 days. The Hilton told me they tried to reach out to me (NOT) but the company that set up my reservation NEVER heard from them. This is what I was told. It was the Hilton that moved me to a new hotel. I had to pay $17.00 at the new hotel to cover the facilities fees (plus a $100 deposit that was later refunded) that night that I got into Daytona. The Hilton covered my room at the new location. Now because it was the Hilton that chose to move me, Trivago refunded the amount I paid last January which was over $160 for my reservation. I am STILL disappointed I did not stay at the hotel of my choosing, BUT I only paid $17 for a hotel on Daytona Beach when all was said and done. And I'm very OK with that. Kudos to Trivago for putting customers first!

Original review: March 26, 2019

I use hotels throughout the world and to be honest have only once been able to find a cheap deal on Trivago. They say they offer the best rates but this is not true. They are most of the time expensive than other competitors sites, all of their advertising is misleading as you can beat their prices on other hotel booking sites most of the time without even trying.

Original review: March 24, 2019

Soooo pissed off! Re: Hotel booking through Trivago and Loveholidays • info@e-loveholidays.com #Trivago #LoveHolidays #LoveVacations #Fraud #Scam I tried to book a hotel using Trivago. They booked it through Lovevacations, I called the hotel to let them know I'd be arriving late and they did not have my reservation. I checked my bank account and the money was taken out for the booking. I then contacted Lovevacations, they told me that the hotel did not have any rooms left. I cannot imagine why they would book the room and charge me if the hotel was already booked full.

Then they said they would refund my money but it would take 4 to 6 days to get it back which of course is totally unacceptable so now I don't have a hotel room and I'm out $241.41. Then they charged me another $241.41. Total taken from my bank account $482.82! TOTAL SCAM!!! Trivago also does not have a telephone number for customer support or any type of contact. #SHARE so nobody else gets their vacation messed up.

Trivago expert review by ConsumerAffairs

trivago is a metasearch engine that helps people browse deals from over 900,000 hotels around the world.

• Discount opportunities: Travelers can earn discounts by writing hotel descriptions, editing content and performing other tasks.

• Metasearch: Since trivago searches databases from over 250 companies, travelers can access more discounts.

• Travel guides: trivago offers travel guides and expert hotel reviews for cities all over the globe.

• Mobile app: The mobile app from trivago can automatically search for accommodations near the user's current location.

• Search filters: Travelers can search for hotels by price range, reviews, amenities and other features.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs