trivago
2.23/5
Based on 35 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a travel site?

trivago

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 10, 2018

35 trivago Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Fairmont Motor Lodge - The fact that this motel has two pictures up of two totally different motels, when only one, the shabby one is actually the real motel is a breach of ethics. So if I were Trivago, I'd stop punting a motel that obviously has no issue with pretending to be something they are not. You will not accept my files as proof, but I still expect this review to be posted, as it's not my fault your system refuses to accept them, when every other company I deal with does.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Please do yourselves a favour and stay away from this Over the Mountain Guest Farm tea garden for we received very poor quality of food and drinks... My husband ordered plunger coffee but received coffee so weak we could actually see through it and it tasted horrible... I ordered Rooibos tea but instead, I received normal English tea! When we received our food, the cinnamon and sugar pancakes were very salty and my husband's griddle cake were like a slamming cake. When we politely complained about the drinks at first they disputed our concern and asked us to rather leave and without making a scene we're leaving in disbelief of what had just happened! Nevertheless we put R100 on the table and just left. We are very disappointed in the manager's attitude towards us as well as the way he handled this complaint. How can this place be awarded a four-star rating by treating it's customers this way?

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Trivago you need to be aware of a scam within your site! Will be careful to not go to Trivago again! Do NOT use HotelPower.com -- COMPLETE scam! I booked a hotel with them via Trivago, they took my money then everyday for 6 days I called them and chatted via their website begging for my hotel confirmation number. I also kept calling the hotel and they did NOT have my reservation! When you call HotelPower.com they are as friendly as hell and ask you for 'just another day' to find out what's going on.

Shame on me for not reading all the negative reviews about them because all the reviews are spot on! I finally called the day before my travel and asked for my money back. I was very straight forward with the lady on the phone and told her she works for a company who scams people and started reading her some reviews! Ha! Finally said I will stop payment from my credit card. Thankfully my bank did refund my money as they know of this scam! The day I checked out of another hotel (reservation made by me) HotelPower.com left me a voicemail with my so called hotel confirmation! Really? The day after? Idiots!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

In August, I booked a room through Trivago. Because it was my first time booking with the company, I called the hotel 1 week later to confirm the online booking & the room assignment. The hotel said they never received the reservation from Trivago. Bedfinder sent me a confirmation & $709 was deducted from my credit card, but I did not have a confirmed reservation with the hotel. After numerous phone calls & emails, I finally called again tonight only to find out that Bedfinder has cancelled my reservation because they claim that they could not secure my reservation with the hotel. This reservation was for a Summer 2018 event during peak season & now, here I am, 3 1/2 months later without a reservation & all of the remaining hotels are 2-3 times more expensive than they were in August. I should definitely be compensated in some sort of way by Bedfinder/Trivago. At the very least, they should've found me a comparable hotel. This is horrible!!!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I booked a hotel room through Trivago. They charged my credit card for $251. I then received a confirmation email from Cancelon, a third party site. In the email it says that Cancelon will give me the actual hotel confirmation the night before check in. WHAT??? I called the hotel 3 times to make sure they had a valid reservation under my name and of course they found nothing. I called Cancelon and they said they would forward the confirmation over. Of course, nothing received and after waiting a week the hotel still had no confirmation. I cancelled the reservation (even though there was none to begin with). I am nervous now that this scam company stole my credit card info. I'm waiting for a refund on my card now. After a week I will call the cc company and hope we can dispute the fraudulent charge. DO NOT USE TRIVAGO. SCAM.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trivago?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Beware. I signed up for Trivago Hotel Manager PRO for one year at a cost of £268.83. I was not told in the sales pitch that I would automatically be signed up for the following year (unless I opted out) at a cost of £431.28 - nearly double the price.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I just spent 45 minutes trying to book this room on trivago. The system told me it was "checking for availability". It showed the rate it was available. I attempted to enter my credit card three times and kept getting a message that I entered my card wrong. The message advised me to contact an agent for further information. I finally called an agent and was informed that there are no more rooms available at this rate but for only $15 more or something like that, I could book the room. This is blatant false advertising! If the rooms at the $200 rate are no longer available, your webmaster needs to change it immediately. Then having a message about a credit card issue is doubly deceptive!

A day later, after posting this information on trivago's Facebook messenger, I received an email from "Alex" that asked me to call him so he could help me with special VIP pricing. I called and was put on a 12 minute wait. "Henri" came on the phone and said that Alex was not available but unfortunately, all the rates "changed today". Henri wanted to help me find a "cheaper" room. I see the posting for the Hyatt in Coral Gables HAS been removed. These people ALL speak with broken English and this is a true scam operation. If this was my last option for getting a hotel room - I would NEVER travel again!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Trivago says they find cheapest price for same accommodation, this is untrue. They point towards Expedia and their associates as Expedia is a part owner of trivago, how I know this you might ask? Well I am a hotel operator and I have been testing them, I list rooms through booking.com at lower rate and Expedia at higher rate, Booking.com does not get a mention, so I remove Expedia, Booking.com then gets a mention, I put Expedia back on, and poor old Booking.com is removed again, remember I listed Expedia an extra $15 higher than Booking.com, trivago works for Expedia not for the traveller.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

Don't use this service if you travel with pets. I used this search to make a hotel reservation when traveling with a small dog. I used the filter to only show hotels accepting pets, made a reservation, then arrived at the hotel and was told I could not bring in the pet and I could not cancel and get any type of refund. The pet was supposed to stay outside in the car in over 100-degree temps. This is not acceptable. I wound up wasting a lot of money as I could not cancel the reservation. I will never use Trivago again.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Booked a hotel stay with Trivago. Book a room at the Omni Hotel in Pittsburgh. Was charge immediately more than that was viewed on the site. I called to get credited. I was charged $48 per night extra. I was there for three nights. I called and was transferred to a booking site in Germany. They told me they would correct it. They sent me an email. I've contacted them several times with no help. I will never book with them again. Paying upfront on trying to get your money back is becoming impossible. They do not have their own booking website unlike Hotel Tonight which deals with things immediately. I will never use Trivago again. All they are is an advertising site and use bookings.com, that you are European call center.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

We tried to book a specific weekend thru Trivago. The website did not show dates unavailable, and when we clicked next - a wrong date was populated, asking if we wanted to make the reservation. Called Trivago's # to troubleshoot. The man kept cutting me off - saying the dates were unavailable in any hotel in Fayetteville, AR, and he didn't want "to get my hopes up". Tried to have us consider Springdale or Bentonville or alternative dates. We didn't want a long drive each day for three days. He kept saying ain't and calling me "Barb", and would not acknowledge my request. Barely able to get a word in edgewise, I corrected him on my name, Barbara or Mrs. ________, and my dates in Fayetteville, AR weren't negotiable. He again cut me off, and I hung up. Hotels.com got the job done.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

Trivago service put us in the hands of Cancelon.com. We booked Hotel Name: Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara. Address: 1111 East Cabrillo Blvd, Santa Barbara, Ca.Country: United States. Check in date: Wednesday, 23 August 2017. Check out date: Saturday, 26 August 2017. Number of nights: 3. Room Details: 1 room 2 adults 1 child, ages :[9]. Room Type: Run Of House Double (family Plan)

The hotel has no reservation in the name of my wife. Hyatt Management at the hotel has advised me that their booking for the room and rate is no longer available. There are alternative rooms available for much more money. Hyatt Management has also advised me that they have refused Cancelon pre-payment vouchers because Cancelon has not paid the Hotel. In other words guests have had to pay twice for the room and I will likely have to pay as well. It no appears to be better to pay more directly to the hospitality companies than to be mistreated and ripped off by fly by night companies such as Trivago & Cancelon.com. A consumer end a transaction with peace of mind. Not the opposite, feeling that one has been ripped off

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

Booked into Washington D.C. through TRIVAGO. WILL NEVER BOOK THROUGH TRIVAGO AGAIN!! Clean hotel with somewhat friendly staff. But TRIVAGO does not warn you. When you book with this hotel, watch for all the excessive "extras". For example... $45 US/ night for parking + tax! Room charge $22.62/ night + tax... Hotel services fee Transient (?) $19.95/ night + tax. Crummy website that just gives you the absolute basic rate. Should be against the law to lure people with what appears to be a good value. All in per night should be the norm.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I was left in the middle of the blistering desert with my infant son and wife looking for a hotel that didn't exist in a city I had never been to only to find out trivago.com search engine had sent me to a hotel over 2600 miles away. Do not use trivago.com. Their system is horribly flawed. Long story short trivago.com can't distinguish the difference between state, cities or countries. I was looking at hotels in Lancaster California and it booked my hotel for "The Hotel Lancaster" in Pennsylvania. I called the hotel and found out that it happens all the time, not only for their hotel in Pennsylvania but their sister hotels in Mexico and a few other states as well.

That's not the only problem. In their search it showed availability for the Hampton hotel, luckily I was only a block away and decided not to book online. I drove up and found out the website was over booking them AGAIN because it did not update properly. Overall all I have to say is that trivago.com is a joke. I'll take my chances somewhere else.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

We booked a French Quarter Inn in Charleston, SC. They had no record of our booking the room. Then the booking agent tried to put us in another hotel. I paid upfront for French Quarter Inn. They then wanted to refund my money when I was to be there in 3 days. I will not use Trivago again, nor Cancelon who booked the room.

Original review: July 30, 2017

DID NOT FEEL SAFE. LEFT PROPERTY EARLY. DID NOT SLEEP. Cockroach ghetto hotel - Royal Inn Motel, Eureka, California, USA - Trivago booking - full of homeless. The hotel room smelt like a sewer. The Royal Inn Motel, Eureka is a very dangerous disgusting slum property full of ** smoking homeless people. The location is situated in a ghetto part of town. Did not feel safe. Left property early. Did not sleep.

The hotels surrounding the Royal Inn Motel are empty, boarded up and condemned! The hotel looked like a war zone! Trivago you should NOT be taking people’s money by advertising & sending anymore people there. No air-con in cockroach infested rooms, full of fleas, and flies dancing around fecal matter. The hotel room smelt like a sewer. Sheets and pillows full of stains and smelt of urine. The bullish East Indian staff did not speak English and refused to give a refund. Read the very negative comments from people like myself and my family who have unfortunately stayed there at The Royal Inn Motel in Eureka, California, USA. We demand a complete refund from Trivago. Ruined our vacation.

Original review: June 25, 2017

This was my first time trying Trivago. I tried to book a nice weekend in South Lake Tahoe, California with my boyfriend for the weekend of July 28-30th, 2017. I saw an option for a two night stay for $218/night at the Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel, and clicking directed me to their partner site Otel.com. I left the page open while I took a few minutes to discuss the hotel with my boyfriend and check my bank account to ensure I had transferred adequate funds from savings to my checking.

Then, I entered my payment information on Otel.com, clicked continue, and received a "site error 504" message, so I went back and tried again, at which point I received another error message, only this one stated that there was a card error and I had insufficient funds to complete the transaction. Bear in mind, I had checked my bank account prior to entering my payment information and I had adequate funds, so I immediately checked my mobile banking app again. Upon so doing, I saw a charge pending in the amount of the booking I was attempting to complete.

Hoping that meant it'd somehow been completed despite the error message and lack of proper confirmation on the website, I checked my email account I'd used for the booking. There, I found the following email: "** tried to make booking ---, but it failed. We tried refund but it also failed." I called my bank and reported potentially fraudulent activity and had my card blocked, however they weren't able to reverse the pending transaction. I then called the Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel to see if they had a reservation in my name and, unsurprisingly, they did not have any record of a booking in my name.

I went to contact Trivago and found the cop-out clause on the "support" section of their site, where the company claims no responsibility for the actions of their partner sites due to Trivago being a third party booking service, so while I sent them a scathing email, I sincerely doubt I will receive any response of value. Their partner site laughably offered me an 8% discount code for my "next booking" when I contacted them for a refund. As a first time visitor to the Trivago site, my experience has left a bitter taste in my mouth, and no amount of discount offers could possibly entice me to visit their site again as a consumer.

Original review: June 12, 2017

We live in California and booked a hotel in Portland, Oregon. We were charged foreign exchange fees and foreign taxes and the hotel did not have any record of our booking. We tried to get help via the Trivago website, but they offer no customer support. The info for who took our booking had no possible way to contact them - no phone, no email, nothing. We will never use Trivago again.

Original review: May 1, 2017

I booked and paid for accommodation through Trivago to attend a family wedding in the Philippines and as the wedding was being held in the hotel all the family decided to stay there. I arrived at 8.30 pm at the Shangri La Makati and was told there was no booking in my name despite the fact I provided a printed copy of the confirmation. Even though they had a vacancy, not as good as the room I had booked and paid for, the hotel would honour the booking and I was left late at night in a foreign country trying to find alternative accommodation. It also ruined my stay in Manila as the accommodation I found was quite a long distance away from the Shangri La and I spent a lot of time getting between my accommodation and the Shangri La. I was very disappointed that the Shangri La chose to not care about my situation even though I had written accommodation.

Original review: April 10, 2017

I booked a spring break vacation for my family of six two months in advanced through Trivago.com with Presitigia.com only to find out at 10:30 pm on the day after my full refund expiration date (April 1) my reservation could not be confirmed with the hotel. Needless to say I am very upset and may be out of six round-trip flights from Atlanta to Las Vegas. Sure they apologized but that does nothing for me. Oh yeah they did offer me a 10% discount to book another hotel at last minute spring break prices. When I finally got them on the phone at midnight I was told this happen to 50 other bookings as well.

I demanded a full refund immediately, Prestigia.com responded to me by email with their refund policy. According to their policy I won't get a refund for the two rooms for four nights I booked because I surpassed the deadline which was before April 1. They canceled my booking on April 1 at 10:30 pm, I chose not to accept their alternative hotel, why would I trust them again? This is poor business and I will never book with either site again. I have lost all around, and they don't feel any responsibility to refund me my money at least. Prestigia is a scam site and Trivago.com allows them to prey on consumers.

Original review: April 2, 2017

I have booked hotel accommodation through Trivago and stayed at Kochi, Kerala for two days. Got carried away with their advertisement as they assured the cheapest tariff compared to other sites. Hence I booked the room and contacted the hotel reception for confirmation. Without revealing the booking done I casually enquired the tariff and to my surprise the prices offered were much cheaper than what was offered by Trivago. When I narrated this to the staff, he said he cannot help it, as the booking is done online and I am liable to pay the committed amount. Hence I ended up paying an additional amount of 1272 INR for two days stay. So, my advice is that, pls. don't ever use the Trivago site for hotel booking... Do it straight or through other sites. After this incident I get irritated when I happen to see the ad in TV.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

Hard-working individuals that took their jobs very serious are what makes you appreciate the travel experience. I'm impressed by the little things that one does because usually they can go unnoticed by others. It's really an individual thing. Some people like to be spoiled or pampered. I cannot judge them.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2016

I was searching for the best prices for 5 star hotels on Trivago (India site) when I stumbled upon a deal that seemed unreal. I went on to select the desired property and continued with my reservation on another vendor's site (redirected by Trivago). Upon confirming the reservation and making the payment, I realised that while I was looking to book a 5 star hotel, I was booked for a guest house (that had a similar name to that of the hotel I had shortlisted). Frustrated, I decided to contact Trivago through their website however there was no response from their end. I decided to write an email to them and hoped that they would help however it took them over 3 days to respond to my email.

Even after this delay, what they offered to me was so offensive. They acknowledged that there was a problem on their website and that they wanted me to contact the vendor directly to cancel the reservation and they would bear the cancellation cost, if any!!! Really??? This is not what I expected. I saw a particular price for a particular property on their website and I wanted the property at the price advertised. I replied to their email demanding the same and it has been over 2 more days and I am still waiting for their response. Even a local store would have a better turnaround time than Trivago. Really unhappy with the overall experience and the services. It seems to be bait and switch tactic to me and I demand that they fulfill what they promise!!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2016

I use trivago frequently. I've used other sites in the past but trivago remembers my previous stays and makes relevant recommendations based on my previous bookings. It is the easiest site that I have found. I never fly and having a site dedicated only to booking accommodations means much less hassle when planning a trip. I used to look at several booking sites to find the best price for my accommodation. After a few times I noticed that trivago always had the lowest so now they are the only one I use. I love that they save your info so that it's easier to book the next time. Since I'm always visiting family I always go to the same city and trivago makes it easy to repeat a search.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2016

I was satisfied but have had easier experience with other sites as well as better deals. Normally I use the hotels.com or Travelocity and have found better deals there. Ease of use was fair to navigate the site etc. That was not an issue for me when it came to finding deals and best value for the dollar as I was. I was not satisfied with the costs. They seemed to be overpriced and not of good value. I have had better luck elsewhere. That is an area that I feel needs improvement. Extra services such as accommodations to free breakfast seemed fair. Other than that I really do not recall a whole lot of extra services being offered.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

It was easy to use and helpful. They have easy website to navigate. Very fast to book and straightforward, no extras and always have my booking when I get to the place. Tells you exactly what you need to do. Help buttons and easy navigation. Everything is there that you need to know about. Very low cost. Finds you the best prices and they are never too expensive for what you are looking for. The best prices than other websites. They have services for other things like plane booking not just hotel. Offer good deal packages for plane and hotels and that's very important.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2016

Everything went smoothly, it was simple and straightforward. It was hassle free and it didn't take long to find what I was looking for. It was completely easy to use, and it saved me a fair amount of time. It was easy to find a hotel in my price range and ideal location. They displayed a wide range of choices, and the prices were more than fair. I will definitely use trivago again. They display all of your travel needs and directions. It simplified things quite a bit for me. Truly it was a great time saver, plus you know you're getting a good deal.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

The booking service is effective, efficient and reliable. The apps work great and make it easy and convenient to do all your vacation planning. Love it. It is very user-friendly with little or no hassle. Once you have your information you can go ahead and plan your vacation and get good results. The cost is well worth it even though there are other options but you definitely get your money worth guaranteed. Essentially, the customers are very important to this business. There are lots of information and things to do in one place which makes it easier to get tasks accomplished. It is very effective and reliable.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2016

Booking services is simple and hassle free. The site was easy, simple to use. The cost was fair, actually, more than fair.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2016

They will go ahead and provide you with the best rates and take care of your flight tickets finding the best rates and at the same time will have a variety of hotels to choose from and great price comparison. When you first go to the website the ease of navigation is so much better than other website. It is clear, precise and has a lot of comparison of prices and choices. The rate of cost compared to others is much lower and very appealing. There are a lot of other website for booking travels but this one is the best. Compared to other the extra services that are listed are much greater than the ones found on other website and are very expansive compared to other. Some of these extra services are not found anywhere else.

Trivago expert review by ConsumerAffairs

trivago is a metasearch engine that helps people browse deals from over 900,000 hotels around the world.

• Discount opportunities: Travelers can earn discounts by writing hotel descriptions, editing content and performing other tasks.

• Metasearch: Since trivago searches databases from over 250 companies, travelers can access more discounts.

• Travel guides: trivago offers travel guides and expert hotel reviews for cities all over the globe.

• Mobile app: The mobile app from trivago can automatically search for accommodations near the user's current location.

• Search filters: Travelers can search for hotels by price range, reviews, amenities and other features.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

www.trivago.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use