2. Travel

trivago

3.3/5 (434 ratings)

About trivago

trivago Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about trivago?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trivago?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

I booked online using the app in Canada for a hotel in Ontario, Canada. I agreed to paying $129.16 Canadian. And I got charged $129.16 in USD so my bill came to $168. I've talked to three different agents and nobody can help me in resolving this issue. I will not be using Trivago again and will be sharing this information with friends and family as well.

Original review: July 6, 2021

I used Trivago.com to find a hotel to stay at. Me and my wife were taking a trip to Miami for a concert so we use trivago and it hooked us up with **. That’s not a typo. It’s called **. We booked the room and ended up having to cancel it because Covid hit so I called the hotel to cancel our reservations and they said we had to contact Otel. That in itself was a nightmare. When we finally got them to do something all they would do was give us a voucher for a stay in another hotel at some other time.

So a few months later we use the voucher to book a room in Saint Augustine. When we showed up at the hotel they said Otel Would not cover the room. The voucher wouldn’t work and when I booked it online a month before it said everything was fine. The room was paid for and booked but when we showed up the hotel said they had tried to contact them several times and they would not do what they said they were going to do which was paid for the room. I still have not gotten my money back so I don’t recommend using trivago or **. Your best bet is to call the hotel directly because if you do have to cancel it you’ll never get a refund.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2021

Site is on top of new rules and price changes. I love this site and would recommend it so go try this out for yourself. That's the only way you will know and all I can say about it right now cheaper flights.

Original review: April 30, 2021

In my travels we booked as we went & found by choosing between the first three you looked. Always have a brilliant result; Not only were we satisfied with the ease of booking but felt confident that nothing was going to wrong with our decision making as price was always exactly what we expected!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Trivago is the best site I've seen to find the ideal hotel to stay at. I highly recommend using it. And then when you find the hotel you want to stay at, the best thing to do is go to that hotel's website and book directly through them. You will pay the same price and the hotel appreciates you booking directly through them so they don't have to pay a fee to the middleman. Sometimes they will will thank you by giving you a free drink or some other freebie. Also when you book directly with the hotel it is more likely that you will actually get the room that you request. You will also probably have an easier time changing or cancelling the reservation if necessary. I hope this helps.

Original review: June 27, 2020

Like burning money? I booked my first trip with Trivago in January on a third party site called Otel. I paid $1785 upfront for 4 days at Hyatt Regency Coconut Point. The hotel told me on 3/28 that they had canceled all reservations after 4/8 because they would be closing for coronavirus. After numerous emails and internal messages I realized that the company has no intention of returning any of my money. Trivago says it’s not their problem and Otel.com is completely unreachable without a working phone number. I paid $1785 for a voucher to a closed hotel that’s not worth the page it’s printed on. 4 month later I’m still making payments to the CC card company for not going on this trip to a closed hotel (corona virus related temporary closure).

Original review: June 18, 2020

My husband and I used Trivago to make reservations with Comfort Inn & Suites Colonial in Sturbridge Massachusetts for March 16th 2020. As faith would have it Covid19 took hold of the world. Gatherings were canceled and meetings dropped to 10 people. I reached out to trivago on the 13th as soon as we were notified of changes in Massachusetts concerning gatherings. I couldn’t find a way to reach them. I called the hotel and they told me that trivago was owned by Expedia. I reached out to Expedia and all phone lines were down.

I tried trivago and found a website that said to contact the booking agent. I was always under the assumption that trivago was the booking agent. The message said look on the reservation ticket. Then I saw Otel. It is now 3 months and I still can’t reach Otel or trivago. We paid $503.23 and all we get are written general notice about Covid19 and they will contact us within 60 days. 60 days has passed. We wanted to reschedule and relocate our reservations.

This pandemic was not something my spouse or I brought on and we tried contacting both companies before our arrival date. We are still unable to reach their company. I have filled out online forms which said confirmed and sent. Still no response. I am looking at options on how to get the attorney general involved. Too many of us have similar complaints. Trivago need to disclose in bold print that they use other vendor. Also their rates are not that less. Do not use Trivago.

Original review: March 31, 2020

I am writing about using Trivago. They are fine until you have a problem, then there is no way to contact them for help. I used Trivago and booked a hotel via cancelon for March 2020 before COVID-19 hit. Both Trivago and Cancelon are not available for help. $405.00 is in their pocket. I will never use a third party booking service again.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

My wife and I were extremely dissatisfied with our experience dealing with Trivago in making our reservation to stay at the Southernmost Beach Resort in Key West from January 18, 2020 through January 22, 2020. We had made the reservation on January 2, 2020 through Trivago, and we soon found out that Cancelon had booked the room with the hotel. On January 17, 2020, the day before our arrival, my wife called the hotel to confirm our reservation and to check to see if the room would have a microwave or, if not, if we could arrange to have one placed in the room. To her shock, she was told that there was no reservation in our name. My wife was told by the hotel representative, Thai, that the hotel had sent Cancelon a letter with stop sale dates, which included dates for the weekend we were planning to be there. Thai got Cancelon on the phone and the Cancelon representative said they never received a stop sale notification.

Only my wife’s persistence got the clerk’s supervisor involved. However, after approximately 50 minutes on the phone with the clerk and Cancelon the call got disconnected. I called the hotel and was told by Thai that the matter had been resolved. I was given a confirmation number, told that we would have a Deluxe Balcony King Room, and extra amenities would be placed in our room because of the inconvenience. We assumed that the matter had been resolved. After the call, we received an email from Logan with The Cancelon Team stating that our booking had been confirmed by “ms Thai” from the reservation team of the hotel.

On January 18, 2020, we arrived at the hotel at approximately 2:00 pm and when attempting to check in at the front desk we were told unapologetically by two desk clerks that we did not have a reservation because Cancelon had made a mistake – and that the hotel had no rooms and we were going to be sent to another hotel. This was totally unacceptable since we had been told the day before that we had a room, were given a confirmation number, and had received the email confirmation from Cancelon. Plus, my wife and I reserve the right to choose where we stay; the hotel doesn’t get to simply send us to some other hotel that may or may not suit our needs. Our situation was turned over to a supervisor named Mimi and we were told we would have to wait while she would try to get this resolved. Finally, after almost a two hour wait, Mimi informed us that they were able to find us a room.

My wife and I blame Trivago for this extremely poor service and horrible experience. We booked this reservation through Trivago, and put our trust in the fact that this reservation was being made correctly by Trivago. It was only at the end of the reservation process that we saw any mention of Cancelon’s involvement. Trivago may choose to use Cancelon but, again, we contacted Trivago to make this reservation, not Cancelon. So we feel strongly that Trivago must assume responsibility for this series of problems we experienced.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

My husband and I are planning a trip to Vegas for Valentine's day (3 night stay). I was looking at hotel rates for Excalibur. Trivago showed $399.00 where many others were more. I usually read reviews ahead of time, but failed to this time. Ugh... I booked the room through Trivago, thinking I was getting a good deal. When I booked it, it never showed me that there were added fees or the total price. It should have been a red flag when it said no cancellation. About 10 minutes after I booked, I got an email that showed the total. $501.00. I was so mad, so I called the number (45 mins of ringing and recording of how important my call was to them), to a third party vendor, who sounded like they were in India and I could barely understand and I asked why it was now $501.00. Answer... Taxes and Fees. I asked to get a copy of it so I could see the breakdown.

He sent me a copy that showed taxes and fees $102.00. Seriously??? I should have booked directly through the hotel. I still have not gone on this trip, so I am praying my room isn't as bad as some of the others in the reviews. NEVER AGAIN WILL I USE TRIVAGO! IT IS BS. They should be sued for misleading people and have to show you ALL fees before you submit your payment. I will follow up with another review if my room is not acceptable at Excalibur.

Trivago author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

trivago is a metasearch engine that helps people browse deals from over 900,000 hotels around the world.

• Discount opportunities: Travelers can earn discounts by writing hotel descriptions, editing content and performing other tasks.

• Metasearch: Since trivago searches databases from over 250 companies, travelers can access more discounts.

• Travel guides: trivago offers travel guides and expert hotel reviews for cities all over the globe.

• Mobile app: The mobile app from trivago can automatically search for accommodations near the user's current location.

• Search filters: Travelers can search for hotels by price range, reviews, amenities and other features.

trivago Company Information