trivago
2.27/5

Looking for a travel site?

trivago

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

71 trivago Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Another booking canceled at last minute by Hotel Quickly - So the lesson I have learned here is simply. I will never again book anything thru Trivago, Simply put they advertise a product, take a percentage of the money then back away with no responsibly whatsoever to fix any problem. Trivago, never, never, never again.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Booked an apartment through Trivago search engine choosing HotelQuickly for a break end of December to Edinburgh. This was booked in June. Received an e-mail on the 8/12/18 telling me that my booking has been cancelled "a bit last minute to book another apartment as the prices have doubled". Was told that I would receive a credit voucher. "Some hope of getting that" after reading loads of complaints regarding HotelQuickly. I will never use a search engine again to book holidays and stay away from HotelQuickly. Thanks for ruining a long awaited break. :(

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Booked a hotel in Hong Kong using Trivago that advised HotelQuickly as the cheapest price. Booked the hotel for New Year and booking received by the hotel. Have now received email saying booking cancelled due to an unforeseen issue. Checked with the hotel to find the room was cancelled 5 December possibly by HotelQuickly. Doubt there will be a reimbursement. Do not deal with this company.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I've never felt so used in my life. After booking a one night hotel stay in Raleigh, NC and being told that the reservation was DEFINITELY refundable 48 hours in advance of the stay the weather report changed to a prediction of heavy snowfall on the day of our travel. At this point I'm five days out from the travel date we decide to just cancel and go another time. When I call the service number for the booking company I'm told that the reservation is non-refundable for the hotel I've book.

I call the hotel where I always stay in Raleigh and they tell me that their policy is to refund the amount and especially in the case of winter weather. I call the booking company back and they hard-nose with, "This is definitely a non-refundable situation." I check my bank account and sure enough they have charged my account from my debit card. I call the bank and they put in a claim for the amount but tell me it could take 90 days to resolve. Bottom line is that I will never use this service again. I don't like being lied to. Also, the amount charged was higher than what I was told on the phone. If I could give them zero stars I would.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

Never and never book any service through trivago. I paid my hotel in advance through trivago one week ahead my trip to New York. When I checked in, the hotel told me that my hotel reservation was canceled. I called trivago and they answered that they do not know why. I have to rebook the hotel at a much higher price and immediately filed a dispute with my bank to remove the payment from trivago. Very bad experience in Hotel Pennsylvania, too! Room is very poor quality and unimaginable dirty. Stay away from trivago and Hotel Pennsylvania! It is a shame to have such an untrustworthy service in the USA.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trivago?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Trying accomplish ANYTHING with Trivago is VERY DIFFICULT since their offices are APPARENTLY in Germany. In the future I will only make reservations DIRECTLY with the facility. Doing business with offshore organizations is TERRIBLE!!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I booked a one night stay at the Willis Hotel in Wellington, NZ through Trivago using my credit card. Everything was fine, I received the confirmation my booking had been made. That was until the morning I was due to arrive at the hotel, when I received an email stating my reservation had been cancelled due to an 'invalid' credit card. I called up the hotel directly and luckily there was still rooms available. Do I rebooked using the same credit card for the same price, after complaining to the hotel what Trivago had done to me at the last minute. Extremely poor service from Trivago. My credit card is not invalid and if incorrect details were entered, which they weren't, why would it take Trivago 48 hours to cancel a reservation which had been previously confirmed. That doesn't make any sense. I will not use them again.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

We paid through Trivago. Hotels wanna kick us out. They are asking for higher price than what we paid even though our booking was confirmed. Trivago did nothing to us. They left us without our problem and now we are in loss for all what we paid and must find another hotel. Avoid avoid in all cases. No trusted company. They don't even have a phone number. They are replying you, "We are a price comparison website." Means they take money % from you and give you 0 service.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

You should know that Trivago has scammed and fraud websites! All Trivago do is giving you booking websites with low prices. It happened to me, yesterday was my first time using Trivago. (I already don’t like it because of Trivago commercial, now I hate it). So what happened to me that Trivago showed me a low price at Istanbul hotel, when I pressed go "booking" something like this. So now am on otel.com page, I wish I did some research before using it, if you search for otel.com reviews you will notice how there is negative reviews! Of course positive reviews were done by their team.

So I booked a triple room (they said it is 25m2 which is not), I paid everything and they sent me a voucher and a reservation code. So I talked to the hotel, I gave them my reservation number he said, "Am sorry, I don’t have it!" I tried to get in touch with otel.com customer desk, nothing at all (even on the voucher hotel phone number was wrong and fake email address). After this I saw many many many bad reviews and some people had my same case! My deal had no refund action so I lost my money. Don’t ever ever use Trivago or TripAdvisor because it gives you so many scam and fraud website specially otel.com and many! Be careful and always always try to book and pay at the hotel and not online!!! Hope it will help someone!!!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I book a room through Trivago for four nights in Costa Rica. I had a confirmed reservation which I printed out and took with me. Upon arrival at 8:00 at night I was told there was no reservation in my name. The hotel was very accommodating and had a room available which I paid for. I then contacted Trivago by email and was informed that they don’t do the actual booking: it’s done by another party, in this case HotelQuickly, and that I would need to get in touch with them. So I emailed them and they said they would fix it. After four nights of paying for the room myself and multiple emails to both Trivago and HotelQuickly things did not improve. Upon returning home I found that my American Express had been charged for the four nights. I am still trying to get this sorted out but I must say that Trivago has been NO help. Had I read all the reviews beforehand I would NEVER have used Trivago and I urge others not to use it as well.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Property run down. Room smelled musty, tile at entrance was broken and missing pieces, carpet was coming away from wall, light bulbs burnt out, two electrical plugs not functioning. Extra bath toilet wasn't properly fitted and caulking was too thick and discolored, dried urine on the toilet seat in extra bath. Once again learned you get what you pay for. Staff was kind and tried to do job.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I used Trivago to search for hotel rooms. Clicking on the lowest price resulted in going to Prestigia.com. I booked the reservation and paid for it. Prestigia sent me a email confirmation. When I arrived at the hotel, the check in desk did not have my reservation. The hotel informed me Prestigia did not transit the reservation and it did not pay the hotel any money. The hotel would not check me in on the reservation. They offered a room at $370/night. None of the funds paid to Prestigia were available to pay down the bill. I disputed the charge with my MasterCard. Prestigia had the audacity to fight it. They claim I was a no show at the hotel. I am still fighting to get my money back. Stay far far away from Prestigia. There is no guarantee with Trivago. They were not interested in my issues. Also beware of sites that Trivago links you to.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

My wife and I were traveling through New Mexico, she used her phone to book a room through Trivago at a resort in Sante Fe. She "screenshot" every step to make sure there were no mistakes, because it was a "no refund" reservation. When we arrived, they could NOT find our reservation. We checked our emailed confirmation and Trivago had booked the room in FLORIDA. The lady at the desk told us there was nothing that she could do, "it happens a lot with using them", and that we needed to call Trivago to correct it.

Well, try that. There is NO phone number that we could find. We emailed. They would get back to us in 48 hours! What good would THAT do? We needed a place to stay that night! We are out $200 because of Trivago, which doesn't include the aggravation and inconvenience that they caused. We contacted them by email. They do not deny their mistake, nor have they done anything to correct it...so far. It has been 2 weeks. We will never use Trivago again.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I recently booked a week long holiday completely through Trivago. The important aspects of our trip was covered perfectly with them. We have done a fair amount of travel and belong to many Hotel clubs. But, Trivago blew the walls off the high prices offered by these Hotel clubs.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I liked it a lot since I found everything you are looking for, they have excellent search and offer prayers. They have good search for a first choice for one to know the world and a good holiday.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Great website to compare prices. Be sure to check the booking websites you are transferred to & their ratings. And call hotels ahead of time to make sure your reservation was booked.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I booked the President Hotel in London with Trivago, but ended up being passed on to "Cancelon". Booked twin beds and the charges came off my Mastercard immediately, but when Cancelon emailed confirmation they said that my adult daughter & I would get a 'twin/double' on arrival, whichever was available. I emailed back & protested politely that our flight from Australia arrived at 5 pm. I requested confirmation of twin beds; I didn't want to be forced to share a bed with my daughter because we were 'late' arriving.

Cancelon said the hotel would contact me re my enquiry. Two weeks later I've paid the charge on my MasterCard and contacted Cancelon again, but still no response from The President Hotel. Disgusted with them, I find that I can't get a refund! I must put my booking on their website to see if anyone else wants to 'buy' it!!! Still not resolved, but I curse the day I made contact with shifty, unprofessional Trivago, Cancelon and the President Hotel, Russell Square, London.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Very easy to use and was fast response to questions I had prior to booking. On one occasion, I had to cancel and rebook for a later time, and they were very helpful.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I liked the ability to search multiple sites to consider reward points when making our choice of where to stay. Also very easy to use and compare all the options.

Original review: July 22, 2018

I just wanted clarify that after using Travigo site on numerous occasions I was never able to find that the Trivago site provided me with the best pricing available. The claims that they will provide you with the best pricing in one location is not so. I have been able to find a price point with regards to hotel rental on my own at least $50 cheaper. Yes, it take some additional time to search for the hotels on your own but it is totally worth the savings. I would not use Trivago as the sole source for my hotel search. However, what I would recommend is do your own due diligence and search for a hotel using Trivago. Then do the same just searching on your own. I can guarantee you will find that searching on your own is more fruitful and will save you a significant amount.

Original review: July 21, 2018

We have booked an Hotel (5*) through Trivago that they linked us to Bedfinder.com for the best price. We paid OK. When we arrive the hotel, hotel reception asked our documents and we showed it. They said our booking agency (Bedfinder) registered as English nationality, and hotel market prices is different for all countries, we are from Turkey. The hotel also in Turkey, They charged 900 Euro extra.

Trivago is like search motor that doesn't need anything. Google is better. It's like Chinese copy of sky scanner and other prices checkers. We waited at reception 4 hours, our 1 day is gone because of Bedfinder. In registration no one asks nationality or anything but they asked us English passports. Also Bedfinder agency is Swiss. I think also in USA, but their support like Indian agency. Atleast anyone who think to us Trivago or Bedfinder please wake up, they are like Chinese edition of other websites. You know which websites I'm talking. We've proof and all documents about what we paid and what was we paid before. Trivago? Never again.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I use Trivago to see what room are going for, then call directly. I've also used them for airlines. But if I use Trivago, or Expedia, I don't get my rewards points.

Original review: July 19, 2018

Had a very good time on the trip. It was many years ago. Had two shows and a hotel & rental car booked. Hotel was everything that they said it would be.

Original review: July 18, 2018

It was very helpful to have Trivago for my trip to Hershey with my friends. We were able to find an affordable hotel that accommodated all of our individual needs, and that was walking distance from everything we wanted to see. Highly recommend!

Original review: July 13, 2018

I am very upset with my experience both with your site and with what is apparently a partner of yours - a company called Cancelon. Earlier today I searched for and booked a hotel stay for my family's vacation through your site. At the time I booked, it was not at all clear to me that what I was actually doing was paying a third party company I have never heard of, a "travel agency", to book this hotel for me. This only became apparent after I booked, and received an email confirmation from a company called Cancelon. This email, which was missing key information that should have been included but was apparently omitted through a technical issue of some kind, was the first alert that something was amiss.

I contacted the support number in the email and the relationship between Trivago and Cancelon was explained to me. I was assured I would "receive several more emails" from Cancelon and that one of them would contain a "voucher" that I would need to print out and present at the hotel during check-in, to prove I paid for the reservation. So, I awaited this voucher, which arrived several hours later. This voucher, is literally a PDF that says "THE CUSTOMER PREPAID FOR THE ABOVE MENTIONED SERVICES". This is like giving me a piece of paper with the words "give this guy whatever he wants" on it and telling me to just hand it to the clerk during check-in, patting me on the arm and telling me everything will be fine! The voucher has a booking number that is internal to Cancelon, only. I called the hotel and as feared, they show no reservation for me in their system.

Later, I noticed in the header of the email to which the voucher was attached, the following unbelievable statement: "We'll send your final hotel confirmation number a day before check in". SERIOUSLY? I should pack my kids up and drive across the state not having confirmed that I have a hotel room when I arrive? Would you do that? Better yet, would the CEO of your company feel comfortable doing that?

I am totally blown away at the way this process has worked so far and it is proof to me that you don't monitor your "partners" at all or care about how they treat your customers. A quick search for reviews of CancelOn confirms some of the nightmare encounters I can only now hope I don't end up going through. I am very, very disappointed with this experience and the "bait and switch" approach you employ. You can rest assured that I will tell anyone I can about this and warn them away from your organization. On my way to Google Reviews...

Original review: July 13, 2018

Trivago generally leads to the best prices available. It gives you a good snapshot of rooms available at most hotels. We have never had problems with a hotel booked through Trivago. It's the best one stop site.

Original review: July 11, 2018

You would get immediate response from Trivago and the entire process of booking would take a few minutes. Service is the key factor. Hence you could always bank on this service.

Original review: July 10, 2018

Prices not that much lower. Could see other companies rates and offers in comparison. Seems to give the same kind of services the others do, different software.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I have a hotel with approximately 1000 reviews between Booking.com, Airbnb and TripAdvisor. The score in their website is really inaccurate, for me they only use 130 reviews and really bad ones. I had to register with them to contact them and find out if you pay you get a better score.

Resolution response: May 9, 2018

Expedia have managed to procure a refund from the hotel in question. I am delighted that this has happened but am still dissatisfied with Trivago for posting these cons! This day and age there are a plethora of scams, a company that deals in internet comparisons has a duty of care to their users to not be allowing companies that con people to advertise.

Original review: May 9, 2018

While helping my daughter and son in law book a hotel for one night stay in Ireland, I found a great deal on Trivago via Expedia. The dates were not the one they wanted but had under dates, change dates? So I did that. It was just the day before so my son in law put his details in as the offer did not change. As soon as the payment was taken the dates flipped back. We are currently still dealing as Expedia stated we could have the dates but for an extra 77+ £’sss. We have asked for a refund as this is unacceptable. On trying to get Trivago’s help, there is no assistance from them. They are complicit in comparing sites for fraudulent deals and the changes are fraudulent too. The hotel refuse to give refunds and that is also unacceptable. The travel industry need to look into this and stop robbing people! Absolutely disgusted. I will now be posting this on all social media sites, so this cannot be done to anyone else.

Trivago expert review by ConsumerAffairs

trivago is a metasearch engine that helps people browse deals from over 900,000 hotels around the world.

• Discount opportunities: Travelers can earn discounts by writing hotel descriptions, editing content and performing other tasks.

• Metasearch: Since trivago searches databases from over 250 companies, travelers can access more discounts.

• Travel guides: trivago offers travel guides and expert hotel reviews for cities all over the globe.

• Mobile app: The mobile app from trivago can automatically search for accommodations near the user's current location.

• Search filters: Travelers can search for hotels by price range, reviews, amenities and other features.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs