trivago
2.06/5

Looking for a travel site?

trivago

94 trivago Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 18, 2019

I placed a reservation through Trivago in late January for the Hilton on Daytona Beach for Saturday March 30th to the morning of the 31st. My daughter was performing/competing across the street at the Convention Center that Sunday. I got into the hotel and I was told by the desk manager at the Hilton that I was moved to another hotel. They claimed to have reached out to me. I had called the Hilton that Wednesday to confirm my reservation. They would not give me exact details because I had gone through a 3rd party but I WAS told that I did have a room. I never received any other follow up calls.

Move up to Saturday and here I was angry and frustrated that I was told I was being sent a few miles down the beach to a different hotel. I immediately got on the phone to Trivago once I was checked in at the new location, but I got a voice mail and was asked to leave a message with my reservation number and contact info. Now this new hotel was ok but NOT up to the quality of the Hilton. Lights were out in the halls. Water stains up near the ceiling inside my room and it was an older building. Ok for a night but not where I had been planning to be for 2 months. Trivago contacted me the following Monday via email and asked for details about me being moved from the Hilton to a lesser quality hotel when I had a reservation AT the Hilton. I gave them dates, contact information and locations. They did some research.

Overall, this took about 10 days. The Hilton told me they tried to reach out to me (NOT) but the company that set up my reservation NEVER heard from them. This is what I was told. It was the Hilton that moved me to a new hotel. I had to pay $17.00 at the new hotel to cover the facilities fees (plus a $100 deposit that was later refunded) that night that I got into Daytona. The Hilton covered my room at the new location. Now because it was the Hilton that chose to move me, Trivago refunded the amount I paid last January which was over $160 for my reservation. I am STILL disappointed I did not stay at the hotel of my choosing, BUT I only paid $17 for a hotel on Daytona Beach when all was said and done. And I'm very OK with that. Kudos to Trivago for putting customers first!

Original review: March 26, 2019

I use hotels throughout the world and to be honest have only once been able to find a cheap deal on Trivago. They say they offer the best rates but this is not true. They are most of the time expensive than other competitors sites, all of their advertising is misleading as you can beat their prices on other hotel booking sites most of the time without even trying.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 24, 2019

Soooo pissed off! Re: Hotel booking through Trivago and Loveholidays • info@e-loveholidays.com #Trivago #LoveHolidays #LoveVacations #Fraud #Scam I tried to book a hotel using Trivago. They booked it through Lovevacations, I called the hotel to let them know I'd be arriving late and they did not have my reservation. I checked my bank account and the money was taken out for the booking. I then contacted Lovevacations, they told me that the hotel did not have any rooms left. I cannot imagine why they would book the room and charge me if the hotel was already booked full.

Then they said they would refund my money but it would take 4 to 6 days to get it back which of course is totally unacceptable so now I don't have a hotel room and I'm out $241.41. Then they charged me another $241.41. Total taken from my bank account $482.82! TOTAL SCAM!!! Trivago also does not have a telephone number for customer support or any type of contact. #SHARE so nobody else gets their vacation messed up.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Myself and a friend have used this service on 4 different hotels in Sydney and Blue Mountains. When we got to the hotel reception desk which we had already paid a deposit on an average of 3 nights stay we were charged a completely different and more costly amount for the 3 days we both stayed. Also some of the hotels said or claimed some of their inhotel services were much better than the actual quality of services inc the style and condition of various hotel rooms we got stuck with. We did expect more than was offered esp since we could have booked for 1 night instead of three. Wrote a review of one of these overpriced hotels near Chinatown and the owners replied with a basically 'couldn't care less attitude!' Hope there is better improvement in the future and what is promised online matches up more effectively with the actual hotel rooms and their services promoted!

Original review: March 9, 2019

I booked a hotel St George Utah. The quoted fee was $77 per night. I did not check the confirmation as the hotel sent a confirmation. I got $77 for the first night and then charged $114 then second night and $144 the last two nights!! Double the quoted rate. Now I did not read the confirmation page that discloses this because I got just a confirmation # from the hotel. Talk about bait and switch. I will bet $100 dollars that I will find out Trivago gets paid on the night rate, not just a booking fee. I will never use Trivago again and I warn others not to do so. What a dishonest company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trivago?

Original review: March 9, 2019

We recently booked a 5-night stay in a hotel in Florida. Able to check-in ok, then couple days later notice on our credit card activity we were charged by the hotel. Spoke to the desk and they deleted their charge after we showed them the charge activity we had paid a month prior for $906.12 to a third party hotel booker Hotelsforeveryone. At checkout we were given our final billing, and that amounted to $744.80 with $0 balance owed by us. I couldn’t believe the difference in what the actual cost from the hotel (744) versus what Trivago/Hotelsforeveryone charged our credit card (906).

When we got home, I called the Hotelsforeveryone, asked why there was such a big discrepancy from what they charged and the actual cost. She said our original charge was the room cost at the time of booking and refused to make any adjustments. So Trivago made out with almost $240 off our money- so much for their “bargain” rates. Stay away from these folks like the plague!!!

Original review: March 8, 2019

Booked a hotel in Hawaii nine months in advance. Got the confirmation from Trivago. My spider senses told me to just call the hotel to verify. Best move I ever made. They told me that the room I had reserved was not reserved. I did not get what I paid for. The hotel made good on it. And promised me if possible they would upgrade me when I got there. Trivago… What a disaster!

Original review: March 1, 2019

Having viewed Trivago's TV commercials I decided to check them out. I made my reservation on one of their recommended hotels and upon arrival was told that there was no reservation. They placed us in their last available room when we had paid for a deluxe room. No one would take responsibility for their error and we were left holding the bag. Stay away from Trivago and call the hotel direct!!!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I would give them zero stars if I could. I used Trivago to book my trip to Montego Bay. The booking was through TravelUp. Do not EVER book through TravelUp. I repeat, do not EVER book through TravelUp. I booked in December for a February trip. Four days before I was scheduled to leave, the agency contacts and told me there would be an "urgent reallocation." This is after I already paid for that hotel. They transferred me to another hotel, but when I went to check-in to the hotel, the hotel told me the agency never transferred the funds and I had to pay for the hotel in full (again).

The people at the agency are unresponsive, rude, and have yet to refund me my money. I ended up reporting them to my bank as fraud. Trivago is no help either. Their customer service line just indicates they have nothing to do with the bookings and do not allow you to speak to an individual. As a pricing website tool, they should monitor and regulate the agencies that they allow people to book through. I will never be using Trivago again for any of my future travels.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

While booking a reservation I chose one date and after booking and paying the system changed the date and since it is nonrefundable you can't cancel the reservation. You suck Trivago. People like you should be tarred and feathered!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Had a horrible experience with Trivago and booking a hotel room. Selected a hotel and rate from the site which took me to a booking site. They had what appeared as duplicates of each room type. I thought I had chosen the 2 queen bedroom and saw it was a suite with one bed and a sofa bed. Cancelled that, went back and selected the next room in the list that was what wanted and matched the price I remembered from Trivago. Completed the booking only to get an email telling me the booking was nonrefundable! Not what I had intended at all! Called the company immediately to tell them it was a mistake and I wanted the refundable rate. No go. No satisfaction from the rep I spoke with. So I called Mastercard and put in a dispute. I will never use Trivago again! The cheapest price they had was a fake and I could get a cheaper one from the hotel directly.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Hotel booked, this hotel credited my card, I checked with hotel before leaving to confirm the booking, the receptionist replied that I had cancelled the booking, but no money back to cc. Tried getting money back but all gone.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I tried to use Trivago to book a room at the Holiday Inn Express in Missouri. Instead Trivago confirmed a room at the Best Western. After 40 minutes on the phone, much of it on hold, Trivago confirmed it was a Trivago error but would not fix it. Instead, they said someone would call me in 2-3 hours. So now I am expecting a phone call after 11 pm- how rude is that? Very! Will never use Trivago again- ever.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I listed with the Trivago site as the ad said all that would have suited me joining them. My rates are very reasonable compared to most hotels and establishments. I offer what most guests would love to enjoy on their holiday. My website said it all with all the details and prices and the title Rachel's Home From Home is where guests would love to spend their time. I have never had 1 inquiry or booking from the Trivago Team nor have they ever answered any of my questions which I have posed to them. I informed them long in advance that I would not be listing with them again and also asked them in advance of my subscription being renewed please to cancel my listing as I no longer wanted to be listed on their site and pay the incredible amount for a useless service.

Their amount for listing was 239 dollars but for me it is ZAR3,309 which is an exorbitant amount. However they ignored all my emails and only sent what suited them and debited my account without my permission after cancelling my listing long in advance. They just sent an email letting me know that they have received my payment and sent an invoice for my records. Do not get caught up in this web of deceit.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Airline umbrella sites just open 6-8 other sites making finding your best deal confusing and more difficult... Choosing your flight is very misleading and OVERPRICED. Also the whole thing with checked baggage is an accouterment that is just another ways to stick it to the consumer.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

CONSUMER ALERT: If you are shopping for travel and using Trivago, DO NOT fall for the false sense of security offered by the idea of "Free Cancellation," -- The Great Deal Trivago offers might be from another source WITHOUT FREE CANCELLATION! I just reserved a room via Trivago with "Free Cancellation." Trivago then linked me to a company called "CANCELON" which charges a cancellation fee, immediately. THIS IS A BLATANT BAIT AND SWITCH TACTIC AND SHOULD BE ILLEGAL.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I travel extensively for my job as an actor and Trivago is my go to. I just write the name of the city and in no time at all I have a list of motels in every price range and amenity range. I do nuts and bolts, so spas and such are not much consideration, but I have always enjoyed the ease of Trivago use.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

In December 2017 I paid Trivago $219.45/R3055.05 to provide exposure for our business: The Jays Guest House. During 2018 we did not receive any increased business as a result of this marketing effort. We did not want to proceed for a second year doing business with Trivago. However, this is what we were told: According to our system, you logged in to your Trivago Hotel Manager account on 11/12/2017 at 11:29 CET with the email address **, and then upgraded on your own to PRO.

After you provided your billing information and clicked on the “Place order” button, you entered into a valid contract, and so there’s no need for a written contract, too. Your PRO subscription renewed automatically on 11/12/2018, and it’ll renew again on 11/12/2019. Please note that the Subject of the Contract and Term (article 2) in the General Terms and Conditions trivago Hotel Manager PRO states: “The term of the annual subscription is extended automatically by a further 12 (twelve) months if the hotelier has not terminated his/her trivago Hotel Manager PRO account by the expiry of the twelfth month of his/her membership. Therefore, I’m unable to proceed with the process of a refund."

This is absolute **. The management of this company - Trivago - has a duty of care at the very least. There is a need for the company management to ensure that the customer has read & understood these onerous conditions. We have never set eyes on their terms & conditions and never signed any contract with them other than entrusting them with the marketing of our business. Most companies subscribe the notion that they are in a business of, amongst other things, providing a service. What the customer wants, the customer gets. We want a refund of the money paid ($237.40; R3562.71) for marketing in 2019 which we don't want to be done by Trivago. I am not finished. But I will wait for your response before taking further action in the hope that you will see reason and not let this matter get out of hand.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Booked a hotel room. Trivago use a company called Hotel Power. They took 226.00 from my account and there wasn't even a hotel room available!! Now I am stuck trying to contact Hotel Power to get my refund - which I already know is going to tell me it will take 3-5 business days to refund my account - which means they cream off 3-5 days of interest off my money and pocket it for doing absolutely nothing.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I booked a 5 night stay, I have a medical emergency and cannot go next week, I want to transfer the booking. Nobody will return my 10 phone calls, or email. I am forced to cancel because the cut off day for changes is noon today. Why aren't the phones manned? Why don't you return my emails? Terrible customer service.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Booked a hotel in Bali thru the trivago website, was directed to Hotel Quickly who took our $3800 then cancelled our booking, had to try to find 4 rooms over the Xmas break for our family at 1 am in the morning with no help from trivago or hotel quickly. Thanks trivago for spoiling our only holiday for the year, now $3800 out of pocket. Never ever use trivago, book direct with hotel. Take some responsibility trivago you bunch of low life's, you are stuffing around with people's hard earn money and ruining once in a lifetime holidays for families who struggle to be able to have holidays. Stop spending money on expensive TVs ads and try refunding or supplying some sort of reimbursement.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

First time using Trivago and will never use again. Trivago used a third party called CancelOn to make our reservation. When we tried to check in at the Hyatt Place in Reno there was no record of our reservation. We called CancelOn and after finding our reservation they pushed it through to the Hyatt. Then upon checking out Hyatt had no record that our reservation was prepaid and they had not received payment info from CancelOn. We called CancelOn to get what they call the “ghost card” info from CancelOn. First CancelOn didn’t find our reservation. And they said they couldn’t search by our name. Then they found it and said we will contact our payment department and call you back in 10-15 minutes.

Thank goodness the Hyatt manager was checking us out and he took CancelOn’s info from us and said he wouldn’t charge our credit card anything until we heard back from CancelOn. I was beginning to feel like we had been scammed by CancelOn. Another thing Hyatt told us is that they would’ve been cheaper if we had booked directly through them. We also paid extra for a breakfast deal but the manager of the Hyatt said breakfast is included with all of their rooms. We are still waiting to hear back from CancelOn to pay the Hyatt.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Wow. So we booked a hotel through Trivago who used hotels quickly. Hotels Quickly overbooked our hotel and had it cancelled but didn't pass this on to us. We arrived at our hotel after a long flight to hear the bad news. Now hotels quickly are refusing to refund us our money and Trivago have told us to talk to our credit card issuer who can't really help. I'm fuming!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Another booking canceled at last minute by Hotel Quickly - So the lesson I have learned here is simply. I will never again book anything thru Trivago, Simply put they advertise a product, take a percentage of the money then back away with no responsibly whatsoever to fix any problem. Trivago, never, never, never again.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Booked an apartment through Trivago search engine choosing HotelQuickly for a break end of December to Edinburgh. This was booked in June. Received an e-mail on the 8/12/18 telling me that my booking has been cancelled "a bit last minute to book another apartment as the prices have doubled". Was told that I would receive a credit voucher. "Some hope of getting that" after reading loads of complaints regarding HotelQuickly. I will never use a search engine again to book holidays and stay away from HotelQuickly. Thanks for ruining a long awaited break. :(

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Booked a hotel in Hong Kong using Trivago that advised HotelQuickly as the cheapest price. Booked the hotel for New Year and booking received by the hotel. Have now received email saying booking cancelled due to an unforeseen issue. Checked with the hotel to find the room was cancelled 5 December possibly by HotelQuickly. Doubt there will be a reimbursement. Do not deal with this company.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I've never felt so used in my life. After booking a one night hotel stay in Raleigh, NC and being told that the reservation was DEFINITELY refundable 48 hours in advance of the stay the weather report changed to a prediction of heavy snowfall on the day of our travel. At this point I'm five days out from the travel date we decide to just cancel and go another time. When I call the service number for the booking company I'm told that the reservation is non-refundable for the hotel I've book.

I call the hotel where I always stay in Raleigh and they tell me that their policy is to refund the amount and especially in the case of winter weather. I call the booking company back and they hard-nose with, "This is definitely a non-refundable situation." I check my bank account and sure enough they have charged my account from my debit card. I call the bank and they put in a claim for the amount but tell me it could take 90 days to resolve. Bottom line is that I will never use this service again. I don't like being lied to. Also, the amount charged was higher than what I was told on the phone. If I could give them zero stars I would.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

Never and never book any service through trivago. I paid my hotel in advance through trivago one week ahead my trip to New York. When I checked in, the hotel told me that my hotel reservation was canceled. I called trivago and they answered that they do not know why. I have to rebook the hotel at a much higher price and immediately filed a dispute with my bank to remove the payment from trivago. Very bad experience in Hotel Pennsylvania, too! Room is very poor quality and unimaginable dirty. Stay away from trivago and Hotel Pennsylvania! It is a shame to have such an untrustworthy service in the USA.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Trying accomplish ANYTHING with Trivago is VERY DIFFICULT since their offices are APPARENTLY in Germany. In the future I will only make reservations DIRECTLY with the facility. Doing business with offshore organizations is TERRIBLE!!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I booked a one night stay at the Willis Hotel in Wellington, NZ through Trivago using my credit card. Everything was fine, I received the confirmation my booking had been made. That was until the morning I was due to arrive at the hotel, when I received an email stating my reservation had been cancelled due to an 'invalid' credit card. I called up the hotel directly and luckily there was still rooms available. Do I rebooked using the same credit card for the same price, after complaining to the hotel what Trivago had done to me at the last minute. Extremely poor service from Trivago. My credit card is not invalid and if incorrect details were entered, which they weren't, why would it take Trivago 48 hours to cancel a reservation which had been previously confirmed. That doesn't make any sense. I will not use them again.

Trivago expert review by ConsumerAffairs

trivago is a metasearch engine that helps people browse deals from over 900,000 hotels around the world.

• Discount opportunities: Travelers can earn discounts by writing hotel descriptions, editing content and performing other tasks.

• Metasearch: Since trivago searches databases from over 250 companies, travelers can access more discounts.

• Travel guides: trivago offers travel guides and expert hotel reviews for cities all over the globe.

• Mobile app: The mobile app from trivago can automatically search for accommodations near the user's current location.

• Search filters: Travelers can search for hotels by price range, reviews, amenities and other features.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs