trivago

Compare Travel Sites

Research top Travel Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This was my first time trying Trivago. I tried to book a nice weekend in South Lake Tahoe, California with my boyfriend for the weekend of July 28-30th, 2017. I saw an option for a two night stay for $218/night at the Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel, and clicking directed me to their partner site Otel.com. I left the page open while I took a few minutes to discuss the hotel with my boyfriend and check my bank account to ensure I had transferred adequate funds from savings to my checking.

Then, I entered my payment information on Otel.com, clicked continue, and received a "site error 504" message, so I went back and tried again, at which point I received another error message, only this one stated that there was a card error and I had insufficient funds to complete the transaction. Bear in mind, I had checked my bank account prior to entering my payment information and I had adequate funds, so I immediately checked my mobile banking app again. Upon so doing, I saw a charge pending in the amount of the booking I was attempting to complete.

Hoping that meant it'd somehow been completed despite the error message and lack of proper confirmation on the website, I checked my email account I'd used for the booking. There, I found the following email: "** tried to make booking ---, but it failed. We tried refund but it also failed." I called my bank and reported potentially fraudulent activity and had my card blocked, however they weren't able to reverse the pending transaction. I then called the Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel to see if they had a reservation in my name and, unsurprisingly, they did not have any record of a booking in my name.

I went to contact Trivago and found the cop-out clause on the "support" section of their site, where the company claims no responsibility for the actions of their partner sites due to Trivago being a third party booking service, so while I sent them a scathing email, I sincerely doubt I will receive any response of value. Their partner site laughably offered me an 8% discount code for my "next booking" when I contacted them for a refund. As a first time visitor to the Trivago site, my experience has left a bitter taste in my mouth, and no amount of discount offers could possibly entice me to visit their site again as a consumer.

We live in California and booked a hotel in Portland, Oregon. We were charged foreign exchange fees and foreign taxes and the hotel did not have any record of our booking. We tried to get help via the Trivago website, but they offer no customer support. The info for who took our booking had no possible way to contact them - no phone, no email, nothing. We will never use Trivago again.

I booked and paid for accommodation through Trivago to attend a family wedding in the Philippines and as the wedding was being held in the hotel all the family decided to stay there. I arrived at 8.30 pm at the Shangri La Makati and was told there was no booking in my name despite the fact I provided a printed copy of the confirmation. Even though they had a vacancy, not as good as the room I had booked and paid for, the hotel would honour the booking and I was left late at night in a foreign country trying to find alternative accommodation. It also ruined my stay in Manila as the accommodation I found was quite a long distance away from the Shangri La and I spent a lot of time getting between my accommodation and the Shangri La. I was very disappointed that the Shangri La chose to not care about my situation even though I had written accommodation.

I booked a spring break vacation for my family of six two months in advanced through Trivago.com with Presitigia.com only to find out at 10:30 pm on the day after my full refund expiration date (April 1) my reservation could not be confirmed with the hotel. Needless to say I am very upset and may be out of six round-trip flights from Atlanta to Las Vegas. Sure they apologized but that does nothing for me. Oh yeah they did offer me a 10% discount to book another hotel at last minute spring break prices. When I finally got them on the phone at midnight I was told this happen to 50 other bookings as well.

I demanded a full refund immediately, Prestigia.com responded to me by email with their refund policy. According to their policy I won't get a refund for the two rooms for four nights I booked because I surpassed the deadline which was before April 1. They canceled my booking on April 1 at 10:30 pm, I chose not to accept their alternative hotel, why would I trust them again? This is poor business and I will never book with either site again. I have lost all around, and they don't feel any responsibility to refund me my money at least. Prestigia is a scam site and Trivago.com allows them to prey on consumers.

I have booked hotel accommodation through Trivago and stayed at Kochi, Kerala for two days. Got carried away with their advertisement as they assured the cheapest tariff compared to other sites. Hence I booked the room and contacted the hotel reception for confirmation. Without revealing the booking done I casually enquired the tariff and to my surprise the prices offered were much cheaper than what was offered by Trivago. When I narrated this to the staff, he said he cannot help it, as the booking is done online and I am liable to pay the committed amount. Hence I ended up paying an additional amount of 1272 INR for two days stay. So, my advice is that, pls. don't ever use the Trivago site for hotel booking... Do it straight or through other sites. After this incident I get irritated when I happen to see the ad in TV.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trivago?

Hard-working individuals that took their jobs very serious are what makes you appreciate the travel experience. I'm impressed by the little things that one does because usually they can go unnoticed by others. It's really an individual thing. Some people like to be spoiled or pampered. I cannot judge them.

I was searching for the best prices for 5 star hotels on Trivago (India site) when I stumbled upon a deal that seemed unreal. I went on to select the desired property and continued with my reservation on another vendor's site (redirected by Trivago). Upon confirming the reservation and making the payment, I realised that while I was looking to book a 5 star hotel, I was booked for a guest house (that had a similar name to that of the hotel I had shortlisted). Frustrated, I decided to contact Trivago through their website however there was no response from their end. I decided to write an email to them and hoped that they would help however it took them over 3 days to respond to my email.

Even after this delay, what they offered to me was so offensive. They acknowledged that there was a problem on their website and that they wanted me to contact the vendor directly to cancel the reservation and they would bear the cancellation cost, if any!!! Really??? This is not what I expected. I saw a particular price for a particular property on their website and I wanted the property at the price advertised. I replied to their email demanding the same and it has been over 2 more days and I am still waiting for their response. Even a local store would have a better turnaround time than Trivago. Really unhappy with the overall experience and the services. It seems to be bait and switch tactic to me and I demand that they fulfill what they promise!!

I use trivago frequently. I've used other sites in the past but trivago remembers my previous stays and makes relevant recommendations based on my previous bookings. It is the easiest site that I have found. I never fly and having a site dedicated only to booking accommodations means much less hassle when planning a trip. I used to look at several booking sites to find the best price for my accommodation. After a few times I noticed that trivago always had the lowest so now they are the only one I use. I love that they save your info so that it's easier to book the next time. Since I'm always visiting family I always go to the same city and trivago makes it easy to repeat a search.

I was satisfied but have had easier experience with other sites as well as better deals. Normally I use the hotels.com or Travelocity and have found better deals there. Ease of use was fair to navigate the site etc. That was not an issue for me when it came to finding deals and best value for the dollar as I was. I was not satisfied with the costs. They seemed to be overpriced and not of good value. I have had better luck elsewhere. That is an area that I feel needs improvement. Extra services such as accommodations to free breakfast seemed fair. Other than that I really do not recall a whole lot of extra services being offered.

It was easy to use and helpful. They have easy website to navigate. Very fast to book and straightforward, no extras and always have my booking when I get to the place. Tells you exactly what you need to do. Help buttons and easy navigation. Everything is there that you need to know about. Very low cost. Finds you the best prices and they are never too expensive for what you are looking for. The best prices than other websites. They have services for other things like plane booking not just hotel. Offer good deal packages for plane and hotels and that's very important.

Everything went smoothly, it was simple and straightforward. It was hassle free and it didn't take long to find what I was looking for. It was completely easy to use, and it saved me a fair amount of time. It was easy to find a hotel in my price range and ideal location. They displayed a wide range of choices, and the prices were more than fair. I will definitely use trivago again. They display all of your travel needs and directions. It simplified things quite a bit for me. Truly it was a great time saver, plus you know you're getting a good deal.

The booking service is effective, efficient and reliable. The apps work great and make it easy and convenient to do all your vacation planning. Love it. It is very user-friendly with little or no hassle. Once you have your information you can go ahead and plan your vacation and get good results. The cost is well worth it even though there are other options but you definitely get your money worth guaranteed. Essentially, the customers are very important to this business. There are lots of information and things to do in one place which makes it easier to get tasks accomplished. It is very effective and reliable.

Booking services is simple and hassle free. The site was easy, simple to use. The cost was fair, actually, more than fair.

They will go ahead and provide you with the best rates and take care of your flight tickets finding the best rates and at the same time will have a variety of hotels to choose from and great price comparison. When you first go to the website the ease of navigation is so much better than other website. It is clear, precise and has a lot of comparison of prices and choices. The rate of cost compared to others is much lower and very appealing. There are a lot of other website for booking travels but this one is the best. Compared to other the extra services that are listed are much greater than the ones found on other website and are very expansive compared to other. Some of these extra services are not found anywhere else.

I had very specific criteria, and Trivago let me search for a three star hotel in a certain district with the amenities I wanted, and that allows pets. I found the perfect place, and it was in my price range. It doesn't get better than that. All you have to do is enter the criteria for the kind of hotel and services you want. Trivago walks you through the process, so it's easy. Trivago only showed me hotels in the price range I selected. I was able to find the perfect place without worrying about going over budget.

The booking services were very organized and very easy to use. You don't have to be computer savvy in order to work this website. I've never had any issues when I've booked a hotel through this website. This website is very easy to use. All you have to do is look up the area that you are staying, and the website does the rest for you. It shows you a list of hotels in the area, and compares the prices of them as well. The cost is probably the best aspect of this website. The website automatically compares the cost of hotels from different websites in order to find you the cheapest price. So you pay less for hotels when you use this website.

I was offered so many choices and packages. My toughest decision was actually which one to use since the prices were very competitive. I got multiple listings compiled from several sites at trivago in one place. I simply put in my details, my preferences and the site came back with so many choices from several different companies that my only decision was to decide which company to go with. The prices were competitive and I was very pleased with that. I was very surprised at how inexpensive I could find on travel packages. The companies really want your business, so I ended up with a great deal I would never have been able to afford if I had gone to a travel agent. You can choose just one service, or a bundle of services - even from multiple companies working together to get you the best deal. It was basically point and click to get exactly what you want.

Booking services were very easy to use. I booked hotel, flight and a car rental with very little effort and was provided with a variety of different options along the way. Service was very easy to use and I ran into little to no issues during the process. The only thing I'd recommend is a step by step process on booking flights. Cost was compatible to most competitor sites like Expedia, Travelocity or Trip Planner. Very similar options were available compared to other services and I was able to find a good rate in the end. I booked a show and dining in Las Vegas as part of my package and it was very easy to see all the options available. Car rental was also quite easy, but had some limited options on shuttles.

I used it to find and book a very nice hotel and at an affordable price! It was easy to use and very helpful! It also gave me a wide range of options to better make the right decision for my travel needs! It was very easy to use. The directions were simple to follow! It was clear and simple to understand without any trouble whatsoever to navigate the booking process! It truly depends on what you're looking for and the price range you're looking in but I would say that it offers a wide range of affordable accommodations! They offer a wide range of extra services! I would say that they probably offer more services than most other sites! I was pleasantly surprised by what they offered!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

trivago is a metasearch engine that helps people browse deals from over 900,000 hotels around the world.

• Discount opportunities: Travelers can earn discounts by writing hotel descriptions, editing content and performing other tasks.
  • Metasearch: Since trivago searches databases from over 250 companies, travelers can access more discounts.
  • Travel guides: trivago offers travel guides and expert hotel reviews for cities all over the globe.
  • Mobile app: The mobile app from trivago can automatically search for accommodations near the user's current location.
  • Search filters: Travelers can search for hotels by price range, reviews, amenities and other features.
  • Best for Budget travelers.

Compare Travel Sites