trivago
2.13/5

Looking for a travel site?

trivago

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

85 trivago Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

While booking a reservation I chose one date and after booking and paying the system changed the date and since it is nonrefundable you can't cancel the reservation. You suck Trivago. People like you should be tarred and feathered!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Had a horrible experience with Trivago and booking a hotel room. Selected a hotel and rate from the site which took me to a booking site. They had what appeared as duplicates of each room type. I thought I had chosen the 2 queen bedroom and saw it was a suite with one bed and a sofa bed. Cancelled that, went back and selected the next room in the list that was what wanted and matched the price I remembered from Trivago. Completed the booking only to get an email telling me the booking was nonrefundable! Not what I had intended at all! Called the company immediately to tell them it was a mistake and I wanted the refundable rate. No go. No satisfaction from the rep I spoke with. So I called Mastercard and put in a dispute. I will never use Trivago again! The cheapest price they had was a fake and I could get a cheaper one from the hotel directly.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Hotel booked, this hotel credited my card, I checked with hotel before leaving to confirm the booking, the receptionist replied that I had cancelled the booking, but no money back to cc. Tried getting money back but all gone.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I tried to use Trivago to book a room at the Holiday Inn Express in Missouri. Instead Trivago confirmed a room at the Best Western. After 40 minutes on the phone, much of it on hold, Trivago confirmed it was a Trivago error but would not fix it. Instead, they said someone would call me in 2-3 hours. So now I am expecting a phone call after 11 pm- how rude is that? Very! Will never use Trivago again- ever.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I listed with the Trivago site as the ad said all that would have suited me joining them. My rates are very reasonable compared to most hotels and establishments. I offer what most guests would love to enjoy on their holiday. My website said it all with all the details and prices and the title Rachel's Home From Home is where guests would love to spend their time. I have never had 1 inquiry or booking from the Trivago Team nor have they ever answered any of my questions which I have posed to them. I informed them long in advance that I would not be listing with them again and also asked them in advance of my subscription being renewed please to cancel my listing as I no longer wanted to be listed on their site and pay the incredible amount for a useless service.

Their amount for listing was 239 dollars but for me it is ZAR3,309 which is an exorbitant amount. However they ignored all my emails and only sent what suited them and debited my account without my permission after cancelling my listing long in advance. They just sent an email letting me know that they have received my payment and sent an invoice for my records. Do not get caught up in this web of deceit.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trivago?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Airline umbrella sites just open 6-8 other sites making finding your best deal confusing and more difficult... Choosing your flight is very misleading and OVERPRICED. Also the whole thing with checked baggage is an accouterment that is just another ways to stick it to the consumer.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

CONSUMER ALERT: If you are shopping for travel and using Trivago, DO NOT fall for the false sense of security offered by the idea of "Free Cancellation," -- The Great Deal Trivago offers might be from another source WITHOUT FREE CANCELLATION! I just reserved a room via Trivago with "Free Cancellation." Trivago then linked me to a company called "CANCELON" which charges a cancellation fee, immediately. THIS IS A BLATANT BAIT AND SWITCH TACTIC AND SHOULD BE ILLEGAL.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I travel extensively for my job as an actor and Trivago is my go to. I just write the name of the city and in no time at all I have a list of motels in every price range and amenity range. I do nuts and bolts, so spas and such are not much consideration, but I have always enjoyed the ease of Trivago use.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

In December 2017 I paid Trivago $219.45/R3055.05 to provide exposure for our business: The Jays Guest House. During 2018 we did not receive any increased business as a result of this marketing effort. We did not want to proceed for a second year doing business with Trivago. However, this is what we were told: According to our system, you logged in to your Trivago Hotel Manager account on 11/12/2017 at 11:29 CET with the email address **, and then upgraded on your own to PRO.

After you provided your billing information and clicked on the “Place order” button, you entered into a valid contract, and so there’s no need for a written contract, too. Your PRO subscription renewed automatically on 11/12/2018, and it’ll renew again on 11/12/2019. Please note that the Subject of the Contract and Term (article 2) in the General Terms and Conditions trivago Hotel Manager PRO states: “The term of the annual subscription is extended automatically by a further 12 (twelve) months if the hotelier has not terminated his/her trivago Hotel Manager PRO account by the expiry of the twelfth month of his/her membership. Therefore, I’m unable to proceed with the process of a refund."

This is absolute **. The management of this company - Trivago - has a duty of care at the very least. There is a need for the company management to ensure that the customer has read & understood these onerous conditions. We have never set eyes on their terms & conditions and never signed any contract with them other than entrusting them with the marketing of our business. Most companies subscribe the notion that they are in a business of, amongst other things, providing a service. What the customer wants, the customer gets. We want a refund of the money paid ($237.40; R3562.71) for marketing in 2019 which we don't want to be done by Trivago. I am not finished. But I will wait for your response before taking further action in the hope that you will see reason and not let this matter get out of hand.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Booked a hotel room. Trivago use a company called Hotel Power. They took 226.00 from my account and there wasn't even a hotel room available!! Now I am stuck trying to contact Hotel Power to get my refund - which I already know is going to tell me it will take 3-5 business days to refund my account - which means they cream off 3-5 days of interest off my money and pocket it for doing absolutely nothing.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I booked a 5 night stay, I have a medical emergency and cannot go next week, I want to transfer the booking. Nobody will return my 10 phone calls, or email. I am forced to cancel because the cut off day for changes is noon today. Why aren't the phones manned? Why don't you return my emails? Terrible customer service.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Booked a hotel in Bali thru the trivago website, was directed to Hotel Quickly who took our $3800 then cancelled our booking, had to try to find 4 rooms over the Xmas break for our family at 1 am in the morning with no help from trivago or hotel quickly. Thanks trivago for spoiling our only holiday for the year, now $3800 out of pocket. Never ever use trivago, book direct with hotel. Take some responsibility trivago you bunch of low life's, you are stuffing around with people's hard earn money and ruining once in a lifetime holidays for families who struggle to be able to have holidays. Stop spending money on expensive TVs ads and try refunding or supplying some sort of reimbursement.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

First time using Trivago and will never use again. Trivago used a third party called CancelOn to make our reservation. When we tried to check in at the Hyatt Place in Reno there was no record of our reservation. We called CancelOn and after finding our reservation they pushed it through to the Hyatt. Then upon checking out Hyatt had no record that our reservation was prepaid and they had not received payment info from CancelOn. We called CancelOn to get what they call the “ghost card” info from CancelOn. First CancelOn didn’t find our reservation. And they said they couldn’t search by our name. Then they found it and said we will contact our payment department and call you back in 10-15 minutes.

Thank goodness the Hyatt manager was checking us out and he took CancelOn’s info from us and said he wouldn’t charge our credit card anything until we heard back from CancelOn. I was beginning to feel like we had been scammed by CancelOn. Another thing Hyatt told us is that they would’ve been cheaper if we had booked directly through them. We also paid extra for a breakfast deal but the manager of the Hyatt said breakfast is included with all of their rooms. We are still waiting to hear back from CancelOn to pay the Hyatt.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Wow. So we booked a hotel through Trivago who used hotels quickly. Hotels Quickly overbooked our hotel and had it cancelled but didn't pass this on to us. We arrived at our hotel after a long flight to hear the bad news. Now hotels quickly are refusing to refund us our money and Trivago have told us to talk to our credit card issuer who can't really help. I'm fuming!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Another booking canceled at last minute by Hotel Quickly - So the lesson I have learned here is simply. I will never again book anything thru Trivago, Simply put they advertise a product, take a percentage of the money then back away with no responsibly whatsoever to fix any problem. Trivago, never, never, never again.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Booked an apartment through Trivago search engine choosing HotelQuickly for a break end of December to Edinburgh. This was booked in June. Received an e-mail on the 8/12/18 telling me that my booking has been cancelled "a bit last minute to book another apartment as the prices have doubled". Was told that I would receive a credit voucher. "Some hope of getting that" after reading loads of complaints regarding HotelQuickly. I will never use a search engine again to book holidays and stay away from HotelQuickly. Thanks for ruining a long awaited break. :(

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Booked a hotel in Hong Kong using Trivago that advised HotelQuickly as the cheapest price. Booked the hotel for New Year and booking received by the hotel. Have now received email saying booking cancelled due to an unforeseen issue. Checked with the hotel to find the room was cancelled 5 December possibly by HotelQuickly. Doubt there will be a reimbursement. Do not deal with this company.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I've never felt so used in my life. After booking a one night hotel stay in Raleigh, NC and being told that the reservation was DEFINITELY refundable 48 hours in advance of the stay the weather report changed to a prediction of heavy snowfall on the day of our travel. At this point I'm five days out from the travel date we decide to just cancel and go another time. When I call the service number for the booking company I'm told that the reservation is non-refundable for the hotel I've book.

I call the hotel where I always stay in Raleigh and they tell me that their policy is to refund the amount and especially in the case of winter weather. I call the booking company back and they hard-nose with, "This is definitely a non-refundable situation." I check my bank account and sure enough they have charged my account from my debit card. I call the bank and they put in a claim for the amount but tell me it could take 90 days to resolve. Bottom line is that I will never use this service again. I don't like being lied to. Also, the amount charged was higher than what I was told on the phone. If I could give them zero stars I would.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

Never and never book any service through trivago. I paid my hotel in advance through trivago one week ahead my trip to New York. When I checked in, the hotel told me that my hotel reservation was canceled. I called trivago and they answered that they do not know why. I have to rebook the hotel at a much higher price and immediately filed a dispute with my bank to remove the payment from trivago. Very bad experience in Hotel Pennsylvania, too! Room is very poor quality and unimaginable dirty. Stay away from trivago and Hotel Pennsylvania! It is a shame to have such an untrustworthy service in the USA.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Trying accomplish ANYTHING with Trivago is VERY DIFFICULT since their offices are APPARENTLY in Germany. In the future I will only make reservations DIRECTLY with the facility. Doing business with offshore organizations is TERRIBLE!!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I booked a one night stay at the Willis Hotel in Wellington, NZ through Trivago using my credit card. Everything was fine, I received the confirmation my booking had been made. That was until the morning I was due to arrive at the hotel, when I received an email stating my reservation had been cancelled due to an 'invalid' credit card. I called up the hotel directly and luckily there was still rooms available. Do I rebooked using the same credit card for the same price, after complaining to the hotel what Trivago had done to me at the last minute. Extremely poor service from Trivago. My credit card is not invalid and if incorrect details were entered, which they weren't, why would it take Trivago 48 hours to cancel a reservation which had been previously confirmed. That doesn't make any sense. I will not use them again.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

We paid through Trivago. Hotels wanna kick us out. They are asking for higher price than what we paid even though our booking was confirmed. Trivago did nothing to us. They left us without our problem and now we are in loss for all what we paid and must find another hotel. Avoid avoid in all cases. No trusted company. They don't even have a phone number. They are replying you, "We are a price comparison website." Means they take money % from you and give you 0 service.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

You should know that Trivago has scammed and fraud websites! All Trivago do is giving you booking websites with low prices. It happened to me, yesterday was my first time using Trivago. (I already don’t like it because of Trivago commercial, now I hate it). So what happened to me that Trivago showed me a low price at Istanbul hotel, when I pressed go "booking" something like this. So now am on otel.com page, I wish I did some research before using it, if you search for otel.com reviews you will notice how there is negative reviews! Of course positive reviews were done by their team.

So I booked a triple room (they said it is 25m2 which is not), I paid everything and they sent me a voucher and a reservation code. So I talked to the hotel, I gave them my reservation number he said, "Am sorry, I don’t have it!" I tried to get in touch with otel.com customer desk, nothing at all (even on the voucher hotel phone number was wrong and fake email address). After this I saw many many many bad reviews and some people had my same case! My deal had no refund action so I lost my money. Don’t ever ever use Trivago or TripAdvisor because it gives you so many scam and fraud website specially otel.com and many! Be careful and always always try to book and pay at the hotel and not online!!! Hope it will help someone!!!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I book a room through Trivago for four nights in Costa Rica. I had a confirmed reservation which I printed out and took with me. Upon arrival at 8:00 at night I was told there was no reservation in my name. The hotel was very accommodating and had a room available which I paid for. I then contacted Trivago by email and was informed that they don’t do the actual booking: it’s done by another party, in this case HotelQuickly, and that I would need to get in touch with them. So I emailed them and they said they would fix it. After four nights of paying for the room myself and multiple emails to both Trivago and HotelQuickly things did not improve. Upon returning home I found that my American Express had been charged for the four nights. I am still trying to get this sorted out but I must say that Trivago has been NO help. Had I read all the reviews beforehand I would NEVER have used Trivago and I urge others not to use it as well.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Property run down. Room smelled musty, tile at entrance was broken and missing pieces, carpet was coming away from wall, light bulbs burnt out, two electrical plugs not functioning. Extra bath toilet wasn't properly fitted and caulking was too thick and discolored, dried urine on the toilet seat in extra bath. Once again learned you get what you pay for. Staff was kind and tried to do job.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I used Trivago to search for hotel rooms. Clicking on the lowest price resulted in going to Prestigia.com. I booked the reservation and paid for it. Prestigia sent me a email confirmation. When I arrived at the hotel, the check in desk did not have my reservation. The hotel informed me Prestigia did not transit the reservation and it did not pay the hotel any money. The hotel would not check me in on the reservation. They offered a room at $370/night. None of the funds paid to Prestigia were available to pay down the bill. I disputed the charge with my MasterCard. Prestigia had the audacity to fight it. They claim I was a no show at the hotel. I am still fighting to get my money back. Stay far far away from Prestigia. There is no guarantee with Trivago. They were not interested in my issues. Also beware of sites that Trivago links you to.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

My wife and I were traveling through New Mexico, she used her phone to book a room through Trivago at a resort in Sante Fe. She "screenshot" every step to make sure there were no mistakes, because it was a "no refund" reservation. When we arrived, they could NOT find our reservation. We checked our emailed confirmation and Trivago had booked the room in FLORIDA. The lady at the desk told us there was nothing that she could do, "it happens a lot with using them", and that we needed to call Trivago to correct it.

Well, try that. There is NO phone number that we could find. We emailed. They would get back to us in 48 hours! What good would THAT do? We needed a place to stay that night! We are out $200 because of Trivago, which doesn't include the aggravation and inconvenience that they caused. We contacted them by email. They do not deny their mistake, nor have they done anything to correct it...so far. It has been 2 weeks. We will never use Trivago again.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I recently booked a week long holiday completely through Trivago. The important aspects of our trip was covered perfectly with them. We have done a fair amount of travel and belong to many Hotel clubs. But, Trivago blew the walls off the high prices offered by these Hotel clubs.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I liked it a lot since I found everything you are looking for, they have excellent search and offer prayers. They have good search for a first choice for one to know the world and a good holiday.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Great website to compare prices. Be sure to check the booking websites you are transferred to & their ratings. And call hotels ahead of time to make sure your reservation was booked.

Trivago expert review by ConsumerAffairs

trivago is a metasearch engine that helps people browse deals from over 900,000 hotels around the world.

• Discount opportunities: Travelers can earn discounts by writing hotel descriptions, editing content and performing other tasks.

• Metasearch: Since trivago searches databases from over 250 companies, travelers can access more discounts.

• Travel guides: trivago offers travel guides and expert hotel reviews for cities all over the globe.

• Mobile app: The mobile app from trivago can automatically search for accommodations near the user's current location.

• Search filters: Travelers can search for hotels by price range, reviews, amenities and other features.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs