3.5/5 (624 ratings)

About Thrifty Car Rental

Thrifty Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thrifty Car Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thrifty Car Rental?

Original review: March 22, 2019

My wife and I went to FL in February, we did our booking through Hotwire to get the best price on a rental car. The price quoted for a 7 day rental was around $200 which was a great deal, or so we thought. The Thrifty attendant at the airport was not tremendously friendly or easy to understand. We were asked if we wanted to prepay for gas which is something I never do. However given that my drop off time was at 3 30 am I didn't feel like dealing with filling the tank that early in the morning. As we were pulling out of the garage my wife was reviewing the printed contract and she wasn't seeing anything about us prepaying for gas. As a result I asked the Thrifty attendant in the garage if it showed that we prepaid for gas. He quickly looked and confirmed for me that it did.

Upon receiving our credit card statement we see an additional charge for $160. I called to find out the reason and I was informed that it was a fee for not refilling the car. I explained the situation and all they reply there is, "Nothing we can do." I have a number of issues here: I am more than willing to admit that I needed to take a closer look at the contract while in the airport main building. However when I noticed and double checked I was assured that it was on there. I am more than willing to pay the rate at which I thought I had agreed to initially or even the current one as I am partially at fault. This is not something they were willing to do.

Next even if I were to pay the $10 a gallon charge the car we rented was a Chevy Cruze, which has a 13.5 gallon tank. The charge should not exceed $140, why am I being charged $160. The company offered me a $25 discount and at this point I have not taken. I am currently disputing the charge. I am still hopeful that they will work with me to make this right. I will update when this is fully resolved.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Thrifty car rental Ben Gurion Airport -Someone missed big time!!! Or were you avoiding yourself of renting a car!!! I did my booking with Thrifty Israel through Expedia and got my confirmation. I was asking for Economic Automatic car and did a double check that the rental office is in the Terminal. When I have approached the rental counter I was referred to a shuttle bus and after a short waiting I was taking by the shuttle to Thrifty office. At the office I met a friendly staff and I was the only customer! Unfortunately it took 5 minutes to find my booking and then I was told that according the booking record I have booked myself a manual car. When I insisted to have an automatic car they had to make a new reservation. 5 more minutes of waiting (I was advised for the future come to book myself a car directly from the company website and not via Expedia -mistakes happened!)

I had to do CDW insurance (it is mandatory in Israel and I had no problem with it), however I was asking to use the insurance that I had with my American Express card as well. Then I was asked to present letter of coverage from Amex. Since I had no letter I was advised to call Amex and to set it. The staff were friendly and very cooperative and it seems to me that they are trying to make new friends (with me and my wife )- guys come on, I was looking to rent a car in minimum time after 12 hours of flight and I had no interest of making new friends.

I called American Express Canada and after 25 minutes I have got the letter of coverage in my mailbox. 5 more minutes to go and I have got the keys and was instructed to go to the parking lot location into a specific marked spot. Unfortunately the vehicle wasn’t there and and I had to go back into the main office. One of the staff who joined me managed to track the vehicle in a different spot. About 50 minutes after approaching the counter I have find my self hitting the road. When I have returned the car I parked my car in a front of Thrifty’s office

2 minutes later a guy came out of the office and asked me to park the car in the back side. Same problem happened with 3 more drivers - guys - you should have a clear signs at your location. Upon receiving my final bill through my email I have found out that I was charged 3 times more than the original quote that I have got from Expedia. Bottom line I have no intention continue spending my time with the company in order to have back 100 dollars plus minus. I am strongly recommend to stay away of the company in any cost. P.S. At some point I was looking for a candid camera because I was sure that I am a Prank victim. Thank you Thrifty- I don’t think that I will allow myself the pleasure of doing business with you at the future.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Transcription of a message to Thrifty. Reference: Rental Agreement No: ** Client: Daniel ** Location: Miami Pick-up March 12, Return March 17. Yesterday, I returned a thrifty car in the Miami Airport location, and involuntarily kept the keys in my pocket (I was in a rush since there was a police event in the highway to the airport, and I was running late to take my plane). When I realized about the keys I was in the plane flying to my home country Argentina. Immediately when I arrived I saw the $250 charge for the keys! I am willing to return the keys vis-a-vis a credit of this charge.

My argument is based on the fact that the agent that received the car DID NOT ask about the keys, and moreover he said that everything was ok to go! It did not help that the keys are for a car which engine is turned on with a button, so is not so natural to keep the keys in the car. I called Customer Service without answer. I will decline the charge and get legal advice about, what I consider a planned way to charge your clients more! It is absolutely ridiculous that the agent receiving the car did not have as standard procedure the duty of asking for the keys, and even more, confirming that "you are all set" as he told me. I will wait for your response.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I rented a car from Rentalcars.com and the vendor they used was Dollar/Thrifty. I paid for the rental car up front in full through Rentalcars.com. When I got to the Thrifty counter, the receptionist advised me that they didn't have a full size car but she would give me a small SUV at no charge. When I returned home from the trip, I realized that they had charged me twice for the same car. I disputed the charge with Dollar/Thrifty but they refused to reverse it. Don't use this company. They are thieves. Take your business to a reputable company.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

My last experience with Thrifty was absolutely repulsive. I booked a rental in NYC for 4 days and the total came to $214 USD. On the day my contract finished, my flight was cancelled so I had to extend my rental contract for an additional 14 hours. The customer service I received was quite possibly some of the most appalling, rude, and terrible service I’ve ever experienced. After waiting on hold for over half an hour to speak with an agent, I was informed that they would be charging me an audition all $89 USD to keep the car until the morning and she refused to transfer me to her manager.

After explaining my situation multiple times and being put on hold again for at least 20 more minutes, I was finally transferred to the manager who refused to do anything to help me. She was extremely rude and aggressive and told me there was nothing she could possibly do to have the price of the contract extension lowered. I am now paying an additional 42% of my overall cost (for 4 days) in order to keep the car for 14 extra hours! The service at Thrifty was inconsiderate, and extremely ignorant, and left me feeling unsettled and distressed. I will be sure to never book with this company in the future and I highly discourage others from booking with them as well. Save your future self the time and energy by booking with a different rental company and avoiding the awful customer service that Thrifty demonstrates.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Since I rent a lot I get ads that pop up on my computer every time I search for a rate on a car. THRIFTY shoots ads to me for $9 a day, like today, and I click on the ad and enter the info and the rate comes back at $92 for a day. That pisses me off. It does not matter what day you enter. It always comes back a much different rate. Does that tell you something about Thrifty? It does me.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Take your own pictures of everything before and after, and if you're referred to them via an insurance company, lean on the insurance company for complaints. I would also recommend that you insist someone meets you when you're handing the car back, rather than risking receiving a call a day later. I don't recommend at all, I don't want to put all my personal details on here, but after reading the TrustPilot reviews, we felt certain they'd try something funny, and we weren't wrong. Very poor experience altogether.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I reserved car online at 3:30 pm. Was dropped off at the Milwaukee airport only to discover that my debit card was not allowed for same day booking that it was only allowed for next day pickup. This was bad for me since I only needed a larger car to take my parents to the airport because I drive a pickup truck. I will never be in this situation again. The lady at the counter was very firm about company policy and as a 53 year old person I did not get upset. I just know that I will never use this company. I told the counter person I only carry a small credit card and a debit card in my wallet, she stood firm on policy. This was very bad for me since I needed to get my parents to the airport at 5:30 and I planned on a $20 rental to make them feel good... I only write this because I am in the wedding venue business and our business would get such a review if we treated our customers this way. My name is Keith and I am a real person.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

On 2/7/2019 we rented a car in Palm Springs for 4 days. Due to snow, our flight home was cancelled. We rebooked a flight at Ontario airport and when we requested to drop off the rental at the other airport which was only 1 1/2 hours away we were quoted a $600.00 charge to return it to a different airport in the same state. I will never use Thrifty Car rental again.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I have rented from Thrifty a very long time. I just rented and returned a car this morning. 2 hrs passed and I have a family emergency I needed another rental. The Warwick, RI location denied me, and said I need a 24 hr notice, or major credit card. A bank Visa card AAA, ID was not good enough. Called Corp Office, they called store to advise a $200 deposit, plus rental, 2 forms of I.D was ok. This store location, Brenda, threatened to punch me in the face, the manager was RUDE, would not honor anything. I have rented for years. It looks like I will never return here. Not acceptable at all.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

We had a detestable rental experience in December in Orlando. The commercial agent has practiced very aggressive commercial methods which I call forced selling. Upon our return in France we noticed an additional and unexpected 500$ outcharge!!!! While we never asked for an upgrade it looks like the sales agent forced us to upgrade the car as they did have the category we booked available which should result in a free upgrade anyway. Thrifty claims that as we've sign (we've actually been nearly forced to sign!!! Some that was electronic so not easy to read) we are supposed to have agreed Tc&Cs!! They act as pirates!

After a 10 hours flight with our two kids and a 6 hour jet lag you can imagine how fresh we were so the way your agent proceeded it's a complete abuse. We genuinely booked a Jeep Liberty and when we arrived at the desk he immediately proposed a Chevrolet Tahoe which we refused as we did want to pay additional fees. He then proceeded with the paperwork and pushed a screen for my husband to sign electronically, printed the paperwork and put in an envelop promptly directing us to the car park to take our car.

We're French and while we can speak & understand English/American (we both work in foreign language) the clerk agent was speaking very very fast even when asked to repeat, he just didn't made any effort to be clear and was quite aggressive. Secondly, as said we genuinely booked a Jeep Liberty and were given a Chevrolet Equinox. I really see no upgrade in this, this is same car category and when we pick up the car in the underground parking there were only Chevrolet cars: Tahoe, Equinox and a sedan model. That's it. So in a nutshell we've been abused by aggressive and unfair sales methods. Our car category was not available and we've been charged something we never requested. RUN AWAY, do not book any car with this company.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

The worse experience ever with HOTWIRE.COM/THRIFTY Car Rental. Both of these place are the worse place to go to because they don't care if you were trying to get an extended contract and/or try to upgrade your vehicle. I was trying to be a loyal customer with Hotwire.com/Thrifty Car Rental to extend my rental with them. All they did was give me the runaround for several hours when I got to the SEATAC airport.

I called the night before with Hotwire.com to see if they can help me with the upgrade from a Compact Car to a 4X4 SUV. The agent on the phone Hotwire.com stated that they can get the deal comparable with Expedia.com; what I was quoted before buying with Expedia.com so I didn't go with Expedia.com and agent told me just to waited till morning to see if they have an SUV available and that the agent would input the quote that I was given from Expedia.com on my Thrifty Car Rental reservation so that Thrifty Car Rental will see it in the morning when I got to the SEATAC airport.

When I got to SEATAC airport to see if they have 4X4 SUV available before paying for the Upgrade and Extend of my vehicle rental contract, Thrifty Car Rental told me if I upgrade from the Compact Car to a 4X4 SUV, I would have to pay over $100 per day plus all the fee. I was shock that the agent from Thrifty Car Rental didn't read the quote that was input to my account from Hotwire.com that they were going to give me the price of Expedia.com price. Thrifty Car Rental told me now to call Hotwire.com to see what they can do for me. Now this is when both HOTWIRE.COM/THRIFTY Car Rental started to give me the runaround.

Long story short I explain everything from Hotwire.com agent the night before, Thrifty Car Rental at SEATAC airport, back to Hotwire.com on the phone; that they were no notes stating I was going to get an upgrade that was comparable with Expedia.com price that was supposed to be input to my account and that both HOTWIRE.COM/THRIFTY Car Rental would not be able to HONOR the quote that was given to me from the start. So thankfully I was able to talk to Expedia.com and Fox Car Rental to be able to get a better rate and cancel my reservation with Hotwire.com/Thrifty Car Rental SEATAC airport.

When I returned the compact car with Thrifty Car Rental I read the EARLY RETURN FEE, of $25 will be applied so I was ok with that. Then Thrifty Car Rental said that I would have to call Hotwire.com to get my refund I was supposed to get back because I returned the car less time of my contract and only used it for about 3-4 day of my contract. Hotwire.com stated that unfortunately they can't do anything about it and they all Contract are final with no consideration at all. That is why I would NEVER go through Hotwire.com and Thrifty Car Rental ever again and will make sure to let everyone know that both of these place will give you the runaround and best to just pay a bit more for less headache.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I recently rented a car from Thrifty on a business trip in Dallas and they asked me if I wanted to buy to toll pass token for an X amount of dollars that I thought was high or just get billed by mail for a small service fee. I opted for the mail option and when I got the bill I about fell over. My tolls for my trip were $12.87 and they charged me $180.00 for service fees or $15.00 per toll charge whether it was for .50c or $1.00 etc. Insane and I will never rent from Thrifty again. BEWARE.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I thought I had a good experience with Thrifty other than the obvious lack of experience by the young girl who processed me. She did not explain anything or ask if I wanted insurance. I didn’t but have rented a few times and know they always ask. There was a toll pass in the car. I thought “cool, they just bill the tolls.” This was a big issue later. I had not been told how the system worked. A month later I revive a bill for 127$. I had three tools equaling about 5$!!! I was charge 15.99 per day. Not just the two days I drove through a toll, but EVERYDAY I had the car. I did not even use the toll pass until day 8 of a 10 day rental, but Thrifty went back and billed me the entire week! I feel robbed by this company. Do not use them.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Went to pick up car I reserved on-line. Teddy was awesome, I had some difficulty with my credit card but got it worked out. When I had to return car, and re-contract again as I was using a different credit card is where things got a little crazy, I was using a Mastercard and they were gonna hold $350 on card and the price of the rental. Wow! I ended up getting another week of rental through another company! Quick and easy with the other company!!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

BEWARE: If I could give this company no stars I would. This company likes to take advantage of people and take their money. I was so excited to rent a car for the very first time and go to Spokane for a friend's wedding. Now it will haunt me for the rest of my life. First of all, nobody walked around the car with me to check for damages and it was very dark at night in the lot. I checked the whole vehicle the best I could and everything looked fine to me. My parents have gotten car rentals before and an employee would always go around the car and note damages with my parents and usually there were noticeably things wrong with the car. This one looked like there was no damage so I had nothing to take note of.

I barely drove the car in the week I was there for the wedding. I just drove the car to get breakfast or dinner and see a bit of Spokane. I believe it was 150 miles in total for the week I was there. Upon returning the car, the inspection lady was very pushy. Before I even got out of the vehicle she was very forceful in her tone and was trying to talk to me. I still had to gather my luggage and she was pushing paperwork at me and telling me to sign things. I asked her if I could please have a minute to gather my belongings out of the car. She was very rude and inspected the HELL out of the car. I have seen my parents rent cars before and have never experienced any of this.

She was looking and every nook and cranny to purposely find something. And she did. She told me she found a "dent" which I couldn't even see in the daylight. I had to ask her to point it out to me because I literally couldn't even see it. I tried talking to the lady about it and demanded a manager which she would not allow. She forced me to write a statement and sign it which I should have never signed looking back on it. In my statement I said how I felt I was being taken advantage of. The company ended up filing a claim against me for at least 900 dollars for damages that I did not even do to the car. The company sent at least 20 pictures to me in which you could see nothing and zero damage.

I don't make very much money so I had to go with this company as it was much cheaper than any other option and what was supposed to be a trip to celebrate good friends has turned my life into a nightmare. So much for trying to save money. I will never rent a car again because of this experience and want people to know that this company likes to purposely gouge people of their money and take advantage of them. I feel like we need to come together as a community and expose this company for who they are. If anybody is interested in starting a lawsuit against this company please contact me!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

We rented from Thrifty Car Rental in Orlando. Upon return they charged us 300.00 for a smoking fee, we didn’t smoke in the car. They found an ash on the driver's side by the seat on the floor. There was 30 MPH winds that day and an ash must have blown in when I was smoking outside the car. The keychain had a note that a 250.00 smoking fee would be charged if you smoked in the vehicle so there was no way we were going to smoke in it. We offered to go vacuum car out because it had sand in it and they refused. We got the manager and he was very unprofessional. He told us that he would give us a hundred dollars off the charge and the normal charge was 400.00, even though the contract stated a 250.00 charge. There was absolutely no negotiating with him. You could have literally picked the ash up with your fingers. They just wanted to prove gouge us with the ridiculous charges.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I pre-booked & paid for a rental car online with Hotwire.com for a total of $434.59 (which included: $265.59 - 8 day rental, $179.00 - taxes and fees less $10 discount). When I picked the car up at the Thrifty Car Rental - Sky Harbor Airport, Phoenix, AZ location, I verbally declined the Loss Damage Waiver coverage with the Thrifty desk agent and then was asked to sign the screen for what I assumed was notice of declining the coverage.

However, my credit card was then charged for the declined Loss Damage Waiver along with other miscellaneous fees for taxes (again) & a concession fee recovery all of which was above & beyond what Hotwire already charged me for taxes & miscellaneous fees. The total of the EXTRA fees I was charged for including the Loss Damage Waiver which I declined verbally was $341.38 ($255.92 Loss Damage Waiver, $33.38 - Concession Fee Recovery, $52.08 - tax) which is outrageous given that those fees almost total the full amount of the actual rental itself.

Ultimately, I am seeking a refund of no less than $255.92 for the Loss Damage Waiver which I declined but was scammed into signing for under the pretense that I was signing to decline said coverage AND a refund of the $33.38 Concession Fee Recovery & $52.08 tax unless someone can explain to me what these fees are for given that I already paid $179.00 in taxes & fees to Hotwire for this rental. I am attempting to work with Thrifty to get a refund but to date they are not being cooperative in this matter. I have also filed a complaint with the BBB regarding this matter after reading several complaints of the same scam/rip-off by Thrifty Car Rental.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I am very disappointed with my Car Trawler/Thrifty experience. I thought I was saving money on my rental, but it turns out that I wasn't and actually paid more once the taxes were added on at the end. My Orlando Thrifty rental was fine. I got to choose my minivan for a two-week rental. No problem there. Returning the vehicle was fine also. I was surprised when I got home and saw my email from Thrifty adding on another $111. for taxes. This should have been disclosed to me at the counter or through Car Trawler.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

When we approached the counter, the representative told me there is no insurance on this car and we need to book additional insurance. As a business travel I've had many of those experiences before. I told the guy, we don't need extra insurance. He said, but there is no insurance at all. I called the travel agent immediately and the lady confirmed, that we have basic insurance. So, the representative at the counter just wanted to screw us. We forced not to buy any more insurance and we got our car.

After returning the car we got an invoice of $464.30 instead of the $270.05 on the confirmation email of the travel agent. We are in the procedure to file a complaint about the behavior of your staff at Munich Airport and we will post this also in all Social Media. We will not accept that people who are traveling to Germany got screwed by the employees of Thrifty.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

In short: you pay for what you get, and at Thrifty you're paying for a terrible experience, and customer service is abysmal. Long story: I've tried Thrifty at BWI twice now and both experiences were horrible and both ended with me going with a different service. First experience, made reservation online, we get there ready to pick up the cars (rented 2 cars online). They charge us extra fees (late pickup fee, 600 hold on credit and insist on adding their insurance because we booked "luxury SUV's). This would sort of make sense but they don't even have luxury SUV's (we reserved full size SUV online) nor did they at the time have ANY SUV's available. They told us to take Chrysler 200's instead and because we prepaid they would not give us a refund for the different rate for a sedan vs a SUV that we reserved.

Second experience was today 1/7/19, I had forgotten about my first terrible experience and made the horrible mistake of making another reservation with Thrifty online again. I use my credit card but I made a reservation for my girlfriend because my credit card provides renters insurance. We get there, the very unhelpful and rude rep tells us reservation name and credit card name must match, ok no problem. "Can you change either the form of payment or the driver's name to match my GF?" Also had a CC ready. "No I can't make any changes, you have to call customer service to make any changes."

We call customer service, they tell us to call a different number (after waiting for 30 mins to get to someone). We call the number (another 20 mins to get to someone). Person says she can't make changes but can cancel the previous reservation and create a new one with me as the driver and still use my payment, she says she has to speak to the front desk in order to complete the transaction. During this time there's another customer who arrived and first thing out his mouth was "I have a complaint."

So we have to wait another 30 minutes on hold while the front desk lady resolves the problem the other customer has and for the record she sent him away to call the same customer service number and he is livid and pissed. Finally it's our turn, we give her the phone, she talks to customer service. No problem. "Send the new confirmation number and we'll be good to go." I asked several times, "Can you give me a confirmation number now?" "No everything has to be sent via email." Another 15 mins goes by until we get the email. We give the email to the front desk lady, she says it's the same confirmation number as before, so the customer rep on the phone didn't make the changes and just sent out the exact same information in a new email.

At this point 2.5 hours have passed and no solution in sight. I'm livid. I walk up to Enterprise, "How much for a rental?" They give me the rates which in total was about $20 more which was fine. I'm helped by almost all 5 staff members at Enterprise, extremely professional. They even waive the additional driver fee which is what Thrifty wasted 2.5hrs of my life for.

I call back Thrifty customer service to get a refund for my money since they never provided me a car and still haven't resolved my issue. They tell me "not being satisfied with their customer service wasn't good enough reason to get a refund." So then I have to get my credit card company involved, I called Bank of America - in 10 minutes they refund my money. STAY AWAY FROM THRIFTY.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

This company seems to lack proper training for its employees to handle all possible situations. When we had an issue arise, assistance was not forthcoming. Attempts at getting help locally was almost nonexistent. The call centers at the 1-800 numbers can’t provide assistance. We parked in front of a closed business where ‘tow’ signs were visible, but decided to park there to eat at the restaurant next door. The parking lot was adjoining, and full, and others were parked where we decided to. We made the mistake of assuming it would be OK when that other business wasn’t open. No phone call made for tow, no citation issued, but All Valley Impound apparently takes the initiative to tow where they have contracts. It was a fight to reclaim our personal belongings from the vehicle. This, according to local law enforcement is illegal, rental or not.

Thrifty Car Rental offered very little assistance. Stating it could take up to 10 days to get the car back through their Impound Department. No urgency for them, as they just pass the costs down to the customer. Issuing a replacement vehicle, at no charge, is policy, but staff on hand was not knowledgeable on how to do this. Uber has to be used for transportation until they ‘rented’ another car to us. Proof of ownership has to be provided for release of vehicle from Impound lot. Thrifty still claiming this could take time. No solid explanation for this. In the meantime, the clock keeps ticking & bill getting higher. This matter will be pursued legally.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

We arrived in Baltimore at eleven pm and took the shuttle to the car rental. Every rental agency had lines except for Dollar and Thrifty so we went to Thrifty. WHAT A BIG MISTAKE!!! First the clerk didn't speak hardly any English and couldn't converse with us regarding the rental agreement or the exaggerated charges. Convenience fee for What??? Anyway we got through the agreement and at no time did he attempt to tell us about the toll pass in the car. When we went to get the car the attendant was making out in a car with a man? We had to physically go to the car and get her to be told that we could pick out any car in the row and exit, as the keys were in the car. So we picked one and it had the toll pass. At no time did anyone tell us it would cost us an arm and a leg to use this convenience. You have to read the fine print to learn that it is not part of the sum being billed.

This very deceitful and it actually baits the driver into using it as all the wording leads you to believe it is part of the deal, nothing at all says it is additional except for a very small sentence deep down in the contract. All I can say is to beware of this company. It is a deceitful company that has to use trickery to make more money. I have rented many a car from other competitors and never had a communication problem or hidden fees as I experienced with Thrifty Car Rental!

I will never again use this company and I can say if you are considering using them that you should reconsider it!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I was not asked if I wanted to purchase the loss/damage waiver at the time I picked up my rental car. The desk agent just added it to my agreement. Imagine my surprise when I was charged over $100 more than I was expecting when I dropped off my vehicle, and was told I could not change it! Very very disappointed. This was money. I needed to pay my rent and now I'm not sure what I'm going to do. My original estimate said the total cost would be around $220.82 and I ended up paying over $370. When I called customer service they told me I'd signed the agreement so I had to pay and implied I was trying to get out of it. Extremely upsetting and completely ridiculous.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Upon Arrival at Philadelphia, Shuttle came and when I arrived, I was Not happy as I reserved a Full Size Car and the minute I walked in they told me that all they had was a compact car as the renter before me took the key with them and that the compact car was the only car in the lot. (Literally) They did compensate me but I was utterly disappointed. I don't drive Compact Cars for a reason. The lady at the register was friendly and apologized and there was nothing else they could for me. I will NOT use Thrifty again as I travel quite frequently to Philadelphia.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

We rented a car upon flying to see my son who I had not seen in 2 1/2 years. He is stationed in the US Navy and was overseas. I went to Thrifty at Dulles Airport. The gentleman was very rude, and never walked me to the car to check it out and have me sign something about the condition. When I checked out at the booth that person never did either. When I got back to return the car, the gentleman about 15 minutes later got me off the bus to the airport and showed me and cracked front bumper. I know I didn't do that. I drove to my Son's home and back and forth to the grocery store which was about 3 miles down the road. A month later I get a bill for $810 for the repair. I will never use them again, it was my 1st and last. Horrible company.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Charged me for a full tank of gas after I just filled it up. Charged me a full day rental for being a little late. Customer service will not do a thing for you. Thrifty really sucks! Will not use them ever again and I urge everyone to stay away!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Worst service EVER. Does not even deserve a single star! Company policy clearly states that they accept valid debit cards for rentals. My daughter does not have a credit card, so we chose Thrifty. She went to pick up the car to drive home for Christmas and they refused her valid debit card!!! I tried to use my credit card, with my excellent credit rating and they refused that as well. My daughter will not be coming home for Christmas. Please everyone, boycott Thrifty Car Rental. They are not worth the disappointment when you depend on them, Heartbroken Mom in PA.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

My husband and I made the unfortunate mistake of reserving a car at the Thrifty in St. Louis, MO in August 2018. Upon arrival to Thrifty, the agent checking us in was completely unprofessional. As I was giving her basic information to pull up my rental, she stopped and decided to "refuse" to rent to us. Apparently, she did not like the way I gave her information. Mind you, I said nothing outside what was necessary to answer her questions. Perhaps she was expecting a song and dance with every response. All we needed was to get our car and leave.

At one point during check in, she asked if I would be adding insurance at which point I said no, to which she replied "are you adding insurance?" about 2-3 more times, each time with a worse attitude. My understanding was whether I was adding Thrifty insurance which I was not. I was planning on using our own insurance. Yet, she kept repeating that statement over and over again, instead of asking if I would be using my own insurance. Clearly, she lacked training in customer service or she was trying to force me to add their insurance instead of using my own.

After she "refused" to rent to us, which I am surprised that an agent could do much less without any basis, the agent next to her decided to help us. We were helped by the other agent and were out in less than 10 minutes. The only reason I didn't leave was because my husband and I, both lawyers, were on a business trip and were in a hurry to leave since we had to drive 2 hours from St. Louis. When we walked outside to get the car, the people behind us in line approached us and expressed confusion as to why that agent had "refused" our rental. We will not be renting with Thrifty again.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Worst rent a car center I have ever been to. We waited about 45 minutes for our "mid-sized SUV" then the lady sitting down handing out keys tells us if we want to wait for the "SUV" we would need to wait 30 more minutes. At the point I was exhausted and I just wanted to get out of there. We told her it's fine so we got a "standard car". I was concerned because we had prepaid for the gas since it was "cheaper" with them (Wrong. We found much cheaper gas within the 5 miles). We went back inside and told the front desk lady that we want to remove the charge for the prepaid gas since it was a different size car. She told us there was nothing she could do but the lady at the gate could help us. It took 15 more minutes for us to get the car, the weird thing was that people that got there after us were getting their cars before us (SUV, trucks & jeeps). The lady at the gate was really nice and made us laugh (she is a keeper).

Returning the car was a bit scary. We pulled up and waited for about 10 minutes but there wasn't anyone around (mind you it was about 8 pm and it was just us girls, two of us). I finally told her, "Let's park it here and go ask the front desk." Suddenly a guy ran up out of nowhere, I asked if it was fine where the car was and he said yes. He checked it out and everything was okay. We went to the front desk and asked when the shuttle was coming, he told us to wait and he should be coming. It took 15 minutes for him to show up (the driver was very nice and helpful). Honestly I came home and told my family members that I did not have a good experience. The sad part it was my first time renting a car from Thrifty and we do a lot of traveling so Never again!

Thrifty Car Rental Company Information