South African Airways

Compare Airlines

Research top Airlines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I flew form South Africa with SAA and checked in a gun after I paid a $50 special handling fee for the gun. The gun did not arrive with me in Dulles Airport (a direct flight). I reported it and received a File Reference numbers with telephone numbers to call. I called every day for 9 days without once being able to speak to someone. I left numerous messages at their offices in Dulles Airport and Fort Lauderdale FL, but no one ever called me back.

On the tenth day I received a call from a sub-contractor that told me he would ship my gun to a town 1.5 hours drive from me, but I have to pick it up there! I told him that SAA needs to call me; I paid the handling fee, they need to drop it off at my home. It has been 3 days now since this call, I made more calls to SAA and left more messages, still no response. It has been 12 days now that my gun has been delayed and I was still not able to speak to one customer service agent of SAA. I start to believe SAA does not have a customer service department!

At Johannesburg airport, getting to get to the gate was unpleasant. It was in an un-airconditioned section of the airport, there was no seating and all round, I found staff rude and unhelpful. When you ask questions they can't be bothered to reply pleasantly! It feels as if clients are just an annoyance. When we got onto the aeroplane, the air conditioning was not on and it was like an oven. One of my party had a seat that was broken and when we informed the staff we were basically just shouted at, saying they already knew it was a problem. The staff were just sitting in the kitchen area chatting and drinking water while we were boarding. No help was offered.

I have flown many other airlines throughout the world and the staff are always in the aisles assisting with bags and seating and have smiles on their faces. Inflight entertainment was very poor and did not work for some time after take off. When they did get it working, the choice of films was poor. Air conditioning was only turned on after we were in the air for quite some time!!! My daughter had fallen and cut herself just before departure and it was bleeding so we asked staff for a plaster. They would not give us one saying that they had had a lot of injuries so there was nothing in the first aid kit. After asking 5 times they eventually gave her cream and a plaster. All the time the staff attitude is one of irritation and inconvenience. There is NO CUSTOMER CARE. We would definitely not fly SAA again. They need proper training in customer care and good service.

Be warned!! I was on tarmac at O.R. Tambo and was instructed that my cabin luggage would not fit in overhead compartment (rucksack 50cmx35cmx20 cm). I was not the only one! They sky check it in and load in undercarriage. An hour later land in Bulawayo you handed your luggage directly from plane on tarmac! Lo and behold your items have disappeared!! Inform them then they tell you read small print they are not liable??? They plane cannot carry normal sized cabin luggage in cabin but now it's your fault!!! Rubbish airline SA Airlink/South African Airways.

Received my online confirmation for a Flight from Cape Town 22 Nov 2016 to New York return Cape Town on 22 Dec 2016. Looked only at departure date which was as booked. At airport on departure I discovered SAA booked me NOT for 22nd Dec but for 23 Dec arriving back in SA 2 days later. SAA booked my return flight New York - Washington (via Jet Blue) for 23rd Dec. Waiting to board SAA... 17 hours later (which account for the 2 day flight arriving Cape Town late at night on Christmas day... ALL PROTESTS WERE MET WITH INDIFFERENCE FROM SAA BOTH IN JHB AND FLORIDA. I have traveled many Airlines as I travel twice each year because I live both in SA and USA... I have sworn on everything Holy that I will never ever fly SAA ever again unless I have no other option. This is not my first bad experience with SAA but it will certainly be the last lest I wish to subject myself to further abuse from SAA.

This is the first time I fly SAA and it is most definitely the last. My work booked a return flight from JHB to Harare. When I left JHB the flight was delayed and now I'm still stilling in the airport and it's 20:30 and we were to board at 18:00. And according to them the delay is another hour! Because the aircraft hasn't arrived yet. I've flown many other airlines and this is certainly the WORST AIRLINE EVER! No wonder they are bankrupt, always in financial distress and the deserve to be liquidated! They really wiped their A** on the customers and have no idea what service is.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about South African Airways?

"South African Airways strives to inspire our customers with African hospitality in every detail, every time. Commitment to our passengers is key to our brand and we strive to get it right, first time, every time. Contact us should you have any customer care related queries." Above promised commitment a boo ha ha story. And the worst part is the customers can complain because nothing is done about it. IF YOU WANT TO BE TREATED BAD - FLY SAA. Very unfriendly people. South Africa's warmest welcome - what a bull and crap. THIS AIRLINE DESERVES TO BE CLOSED DOWN!

I have been in contact with Peter ** at SAA Express. I have also gotten case numbers from Mumtaz **. Well contact being getting case numbers - I have more than 5 case numbers. NOBODY seem to care to respond after that. Flysaa say SAA Express is responsible. Although you book by logging into FLYSAA website and THEY take your money...

On 8 February 2016 I booked a flight for Jaco ** on a SAA flight from East London to Johannesburg. Booking Ref: **. 30 April 2016 to depart 9.15am from EL to Jhb. Jaco was suppose to get on a Air Mauritius flight in Johannesburg to fly to Mauritius at 13.35pm for his brother's wedding. He arrived at EL airport 2 hours prior to departure time. They were only told after waiting that the flight has been delayed. So it went on. If someone could have said the flight was delayed and would not be taking off for entire day he could have gone to Kulula to book their next flight. By the time they were told that the flight were not to happen the Air Mauritius flight in Jhb has already left... He was eventually flew to Durban then from there to Jhb.

He only the next day got another flight at 13.35pm from JHB to Mauritius. AT A COST OF A EXTRA R 6100. In total he spend more than a day at the airport. Lost his flight to Mauritius. Lost a day in Mauritius FOR WHICH HE ALSO ALREADY PAID THE ACCOMMODATION AND then extra trip from the airport to North of Island (he was suppose to drive there with group and not pay another R 2100 for the trip up). ONLY TO BE TOLD BY SAA that they only need to get him to his destination of booking, whether on time or not.

Is this the type of customer service you obey by? The flight being delayed indefinite caused him to lose OVER R 12 000. DON'T GET ME WRONG I understand things go wrong but surely SAA could have put him on a SAA flight to Mauritius?? And not have a NO CARE attitude... I am not asking for a refund but a goodwill sort of agreement. Can SAA then at least give him credit of a flight to Mauritius that was lost due to SAA. I hope I will get a reply to this mail as it's really sad what has happened. What if he did not have the R6100 he had to pay in at airport to get to Mauritius? I can email all supporting documents as proof.

My husband boarded a JFK New York bound flight from Gaborone, Botswana on Friday, 16 September 2016, and had a delayed luggage. He was supposed to pick a Calgary bound flight and hence after making the requisite complaint he boarded the flight with only the clothes on his back. I made enquiries on his behalf regarding the fate of the luggage and was told that when the said luggage is found, it would be sent to YYC where he would have to come pick it up. This is very unfair as I don't understand why a traveller has to pay for an airline's inefficiency and Ineptitude.

This same thing happened to me and my kids earlier this year on our way back to Gaborone from Washington Dulles. After waiting for four hours at Gaborone Airport despite having been on a 16 hour flight with two toddlers, I was told I would be informed when my luggage gets to the appropriate destination only for them to call me to come pick it up and I had to make a 2 hour trip back to rectify a problem I didn't create in the first place. And to top it, the desk staff were so unfriendly and cold. Now, same thing again happening to my husband in a country he is not a resident of. I do not think this is the way Star Alliance to which SAA proudly admits to being a member treats its clients. I have called the complaints desk severally and was put on hold for hours unending. This is so upsetting and I wish there was a way I could make them pay. Bottom line, don't fly SAA except your life depends on it.

1st Sep 2016. JNB-LHR. SA234. 7.55 pm. Rescheduled @ 6.30 am 2nd Sep. Late notice cancellation. Reason given: Tech Issues. However one ground worker (not SAA employee) at JNB airport told me they often do this if the flight is not full enough to justify the flight. The delay allows a great number of passengers, who knows? Was told no compensation as it was a tech problem. All a bit convenient don't you think? First time with SAA. Guess I better go back to BA. AP. UK.

Baggage Damage and Theft - No claim followup. SAX flight SA1348 delayed over 5+ hours. Baggage arrived at Port Elizabeth in tatters with items stolen from CHECK-IN bags. Report filed and claim made WEEKS ago. No response from SAA or SAX - in violation of Montreal Convention. Service sucks. Filing an IATA and FAA complaint and follow up in Small Claims. Service SUCKS. Will not fly South African again.

I booked a two tickets from Jhb to Pietermaritzburg and back from Travelstart. On my ticket my initials showed JMJ. On the arrival at the airport, today 11-07 at 11:15 I showed the lady at ticket counter 90 or 91, she was the only ** lady working there at that moment, my ticket and my ID Book. She said to me "This is not you, so I cannot give you the boarding pass because my ID Book shows the full names." I showed her my driving license which shows JMJ. She said "No that is too late now." So I bought a new ticket.

Coming back to the ticket counter that ** lady left her post and I was helped by a different lady. She took my ticket and booked me in on my original/old ticket, with JMJ, to Pietermaritzburg and back. Now I am trying to get refund for second ticket which I was forced to buy and never used. Airlink says "No it is Travelstart." Travelstart says "No it is Airlink problem." In other words: To MY opinion Airlink made a mistake by not accepting initially my driving license. But the customer is sent from "pillar to post". Can Airlink at least try to correct their mistake made by their employee.

After dreaming for 10 days holiday with my 1 year old SAA had nothing better to offer than to get our baggage lost. We had to buy new clothing and l was so stressed out. Could not go to my final destination. We had to rent guesthouse with the hope the baggage will be located sooner but no. Their claim form is a joke. 3 months later no reply and no one cares. After tenth phone call each day l start to get tired even. My baby celebration ended in a guesthouse near the airport. I would like a refund. Such a poor service.

My family was travelling from Moscow to Windhoek on the April 5-6th 2016. Moscow-Doha, Doha-Johannesburg were operated by Qatar Airlines. Johannesburg-Windhoek - by South African Airlines. On the arrival to Windhoek all 3 checked-in bags were missing so my parents submitted a claim to SAA. The next day one of the missing bags were delivered. The others remain lost. Qatar Airlines assured me that the luggage was delivered to Johannesburg and then it looks like the bags just vanished. It's been 2.5 weeks already and we are still waiting.

I also received a call from the SAA rep saying that the bags got lost completely. How on earth could it happen? They say it is impossible to steal there as there are cameras everywhere. But the bags couldn't just disappear!!! We even provide them with the photos of the bags to make it easier to look for them... There were a lot of valuable gifts in those bags and personal stuff and it is obvious to me that they just attracted somebody's attention at the airport as we know for a fact that the bags' content gets scanned. I am shocked if not to say more! Terrible customer service. Nobody replies to emails. And they do a huge favor talking to you on the phone. SAA doesn't deserve even a 1 star. I will never ever fly with this ridiculously awful company and will recommend everyone to use something else.

My husband and I flew to ELS from OR Tambo Saturday morning (16/04/2016). We get to ELS and our luggage is missing. We then get told that our luggage was in Joburg. We are livid and beyond disappointed with SAA, the lady (she had nothing to say to us) at baggage claims and Lundi (supposedly manager). Let me tell you both these people were unsympathetic, unprofessional and pathetic. I did not expect to deal with such incompetence from SAA. I feel that we deserve our money back as SAA did not deliver, we had no reasons to be in ELS after what happened. We had no clothes and had no choice but to buy new clothes for the wedding.

I have never been inconvenienced like that in my life, we paid SAA for God sakes. I was in tears, stood there hopeless for 4 hours waiting for Lundi to tell us if we were getting our bags or not. This guy sat in his office the whole time and we had to run after him, in and out of his office and yet he knew where we were sitting. The wedding was at 14h00 and we only arrived there 4 hours later. We deserve more than just a compensation, reimbursed us for the clothes we had to buy. We deserve a good explanation as to why our bag didn't make it to ELS. After reading reviews I have concluded that SAA is not what I thought it was; no wonder they are doing so badly every year and exhausting funds from the government. They desperately need training on customer service.

I have an ongoing problem with SAA, it has been a few years now since I have tried to stop them sending me newsletters. I unsubscribe on every one I receive, I write to the (email@ customer service) regularly and I get a receipt email with a ref no. then a survey request on the performance of my complaint about an hour later, they are pathetic, avoid using them. Their admin is obviously as poor as their flights.

I booked tickets for myself and two little boys on the 30/12/2015 to travel from Sydney to Johannesburg on the 15/09/2016. On the 13/01/2016 (two weeks after tickets were booked) I had to unfortunately cancel my tickets. I did the cancellation online and was prompted that I would incur a $200 cancellation fee and that the refund will take 21 days. 6 weeks later the refund was paid to me less $1350!!! They charged me $450 per ticket to cancel!!! How can that be justified? When I asked them I got told that's the fee on my fare, "get over it, and claim it from your travel insurer." Obviously I didn't get insurance.

$450 is over 40% of a child's fare! $1350 was 38% of the total fare paid. Their terms and conditions are clear as mud. I'm trying to find something on their website of the different charges for different fares, nothing is clear! If I knew they were going to charge me that much I never would have cancelled! Terrible service, terrible company! Don't fly SAA!!!

I booked a family holiday for 3 members on SAA. JHB - Cape Town - JHB, and then on the same booking JHB - Munich - JHB. I did this through the website around August 2015. The evening before departing on the first leg on 18th December 2015, I tried online check in and it said there was a problem. After almost an hour waiting on the phone to the call centre, I was told that the first leg, using Mango as the code share, had been cancelled. No alternative was offered. The call centre was useless. However, finally I got hold of the manageress and she was very helpful and we were placed on SA323 on the same day.

She emailed me a new electronic ticket and we thought all was well. In the event, it was a complete mess. Every leg of the flight was cancelled and no bookings were in place. The return trip to Johannesburg had to be fought for at Cape Town Airport, with Mango and SAA both accusing each other. The Munich-JHB return leg was missing and I had to contact a friend in SA to fight to get it reinstated.

On arrival in Munich we discovered we were one of many who had their bookings either cancelled or shifted. There was a crowd around the check-in counters. The flight was grossly overbooked. The German check-in agents tried their best. In the end a number of people were bumped up into Business Class!! (Not us). What a slap in the face for those passengers who had actually paid the Business Class airfare. The flight itself was good, but the aircraft is tired. The seats are broken, the TV screens poor, the hostesses are surly. I will stay away from SAA wherever possible. It's a bankrupt airline with incompetent management, bailed out constantly by taxpayer's hard-earned money.

On Oct. 27, 2015 - amidst great civil unrest and turmoil in both Pretoria and Johannesburg - my wife and I arrived at the Johannesburg airport at approximately 12:20 for our 1:00 pm departure to Cape Town. This was Day 4 of a long-awaited vacation to South Africa, and our native South African driver took an alternate route from our hotel in Pretoria avoiding most but not all of the unrest. Counter personnel and the SAA supervisor, however, would not consider our extenuating circumstances. We were simply "too late" to board. It should be noted that on our SAA itinerary of 8 total flights every single one departed and arrived late - up to 90 minutes late! Our tickets were electronically cancelled in the SAA system (not just our Johannesburg/Cape Town flight but all 5 remaining tickets on our itinerary, including our flight back to the United States). They were completely voided and worthless.

The SAA supervisor suggested we contact our travel agent in the U.S. We had no working phone or computer and asked if she would please help us. She turned and walked away! We were abruptly left completely on our own 9,000 miles from home, frightened, in a hostile international situation, receiving no customer service - no help of any kind whatsoever - from the airline we had chosen. My wife and I are 70 years old, and after six orthopedic surgeries, she is handicapped. Our advanced age and my wife's handicapped condition were of no importance whatsoever to the SAA staff. We did not let age or infirmity prevent our taking this long-awaited "dream trip" to South Africa. But it instantly had become a nightmare that was about to get much worse.

With great difficulty and expense, we finally contacted our travel agent who said we should simply be put on the next flight to Cape Town. When we convinced her that SAA would not even consider doing that, she investigated further and called us back to say SAA was demanding more money to "restore" our tickets - a lot more money - $699.20 US, 9,800ZAR. A close friend in the U.S. made the necessary phone calls and arrangements, and this exorbitant penalty was paid to SAA through our travel agent. Then, and only then, were our 5 remaining flights restored to us - same times, same flight numbers, same seats, same exact everything. We felt robbed in broad daylight. We felt kidnapped until we could pay the ransom. This penalty completely wiped out our personal expense funds for the remainder of our trip.

I read every word on our original tickets, including the fine print. There's absolutely nothing said about this egregious penalty should we be made late for any reason, let alone when this troubled nation was in the midst of unnerving political turmoil and civil unrest. In my opinion, this is rank corruption. We were "held hostage" by SAA. In Accra, Ghana, we were also forced to remain on the plane while it was being fumigated and made very sick. We've made appeal after appeal to SAA for a full and comprehensive review of this matter, but have heard nothing.

From reading many other reviews, this seems par for the SAA course. This incident has also been reported to the United States Embassy in Pretoria and to a representative of Star Alliance, who assured us this is not the way Star Alliance should ever treat its customers. There was no respect, no human compassion whatsoever, shown to us by SAA. A bankrupt airline cannot gouge customers like this to achieve solvency. We will never fly with SAA again and have written this to warn all others!

RE: PASSENGERS Anne ** and Paul **. We were scheduled on SAA Flight 336 from Cape Town to Jo'burg departing at 14:00 on Sat, Jan 2. We arrived at the airport over 2 hours before our flight and waited in line for over an hour to find that our flight (the most common flight offered) was delayed. First only an hour which eventually turned into 5 hours, causing us to miss our international connection to Dulles in Washington DC. We asked to be re-booked on to one of the other dozen flights leaving for Jo'burg or coming back the next day to try to leave early in the morning and were told that there were no options other than to wait because the next available flight from Cape Town was on Wednesday. The gate agents in Capetown would only give us boarding passes to Jo'burg because they claimed they couldn't do anything from there regarding the international connections and that it would be taken care of upon arrival.

Our bags were only checked thru to Jo'burg (and we had to collect them upon arrival and needed to get boarding passes for the flight we had been "automatically" re-booked on to Dulles leaving at 20:00 that they were holding for us. An arrangement we were not even informed of until we landed. Upon arrival to Jo'burg going down the slippery jet way steps to the shuttle, Mr. ** slipped and sliced open his right big toe which was profusely bleeding and was immediately reported to SAA agents who didn't even have a first aid kit with a bandage, requiring him to use toilet paper to absorb the bleeding. We collected our bags in Jo'burg and went to the baggage recheck desk and waited in line for 30 minutes for the "supervisor" to tell us we needed to go to another desk to get tickets before she could book our bags.

We wait for another 30 minutes for the people at that desk to tell us that we had to go back to the line we were just in, because in the hour that we had been waiting in line, they couldn't hold the flight any longer and had closed the gate. We were sent back to the original desk with the "supervisor" who told us that there was no flight being held for us, no one ever told us that, and we were being booked into a hotel and being re-booked on a flight 24 hours AFTER the original flight we had missed. As we're walking out of the airport, all of our bags in hand we run into the gate agent for the flight to Dulles, who informed us that, Yes in fact the flight was being held for us but they were told that no one else was coming and to close the gates. Additionally South African Airways refused to book our final leg from Dulles to Tampa saying that we would have to take care of that domestically when we land in Washington, DC.

At this point, we have no idea when we will be returning back to Florida. We are scheduled to work on Monday and won't be arriving back into Dulles until early Monday AM with no connection back to Tampa as of now and Zero options offered by South African Airways. We have people that we are paying to watch our pets that will need additional compensation, we are missing out on a day of work, possibly more. We are stranded in Jo'burg, hoping to get on an international flight to the USA with no guarantees and South African Airways refusing to make any other accommodations or provide any other options on other airlines. We can't even tell our own employers when we'll be back to work, because we don't know which puts our jobs in jeopardy. There is a tremendous breakdown in communication amongst SAA employees, a huge lack of customer service and I am not surprised that this company participates in an annual bail out.

I wish I had done more due diligence when booking our flights, because it seems as though our circumstances are not the exception, but the rule. The way this company does business is shameful, the way they treat their customers is deplorable. I'm apprehensive to even send this now as we are still stuck in SAA purgatory and I fear a complaint lodged prior to our safe return to American soil will strand us even further. At this point I am looking for domestic flights from IAD to TPA and considering just booking one to ensure that I do in fact get home. This experience has been expensive and awful. We had a great vacation, spent a lot of money in this country, we did our part to stimulate the economy but SAA makes me VERY hesitant to ever return here.

Addendum: I'm glad that I didn't send this when I had because our experience has gone from worse to unfathomable. We were booked onto flight 209 out of Jo'burg. While waiting in the gate security line, the searching agent who went thru my bags insisted that I give her one of the packs of cigarettes from the carton I had purchased as a gift before letting me thru. Flight 209 was then an hour delayed, sitting at the gate because there was "no cork screw on board" according to the captain so we waited on the plane for AN HOUR until catering came to bring a cork screw. Because of the delay we missed our connection at Dulles to Tampa which was supposed to depart at 8:30 am.

We have been re-booked a flight at 17:30 pm! After speaking to Krystal at customer service, who has been the ONLY semi helpful person employed by SAA, she managed to have Lilly, supposedly the ONLY representative for SAA in a major International Airport to come to speak with us as we are now stuck here for 10 hours and as an additional slap in the face, she offered us $15 meal vouchers. This alone is shameful and completely unacceptable. The infuriation and disappointment I feel with South African airlines is beyond words. This company has cost us not only valuable time but also several thousand dollars in lost revenue and put our employment and livelihood in jeopardy.

While we understand that there are unforeseeable things that happen, especially with international travel the complete lack of customer service and indifference regarding our loss of time and money, the lack of willingness to do anything to accommodate us at all is what we find unacceptable. We are requesting full reimbursement for the S. AFRICA to USA leg of this trip for passengers ** and **. In addition the monies spent on oodles and beverage while stranded in Dulles Airport over the $15 issued by SAA (receipts will be provided). We do not want a voucher or credit as we Never intended to fly SAA ever again.

I bought a ticket back in June 2015 and later learnt that my daughter that I had intended of visiting was relocated back to US. I sent SAA an email to refund my ticket. I was never contacted for over a month, but when I called them, I was informed that my ticket was refunded on the day my email was received. Only $103 was refunded out of $1500.00. They claimed that the ticket was non-refundable but they could have responded back stating that. Every time I called, I would get contradictory information. Although their site claims to respond to emails within 48 hours, it is not so. This company does not even deserve a star

I flew from Cape Town to Munich to do some concerts and my luggage did not arrive with me. I had a concert the same evening of my arrival so I had to go out and buy new clothes, new evening gown and shoes. At the Munich airport, Lufthansa deals with SAA lost baggage but they are not authorized to give any answers and they also have very limited access to SAA. So I was given numbers to call in Frankfurt and in Johannesburg because they can't deal with the situation themselves. After 4 days, my luggage was identified through some of the contents. The luggage has obviously been damaged or broken into and all the tags were gone.

Since then, there has been no word form SAA as to when it will be sent to me in Munich. I call Munich, Frankfurt and Johannesburg several times a day and they said that there has been no communication or update on my luggage. All they have to do is just put the suitcase on the next plane to Munich and they just ignore the requests. And judging by all the comments I have heard about theft, I am afraid that anything valuable in my luggage, my evening gowns and jewelry won't make it if or when I ever get the suitcase back.

In May I used the computer terminals in the business class lounge at Johannesburg airport. The metal on the bottom of the shelf containing the computer was so sharp it acted like a knife and cut clean through my almost new trousers. I have been trying ever since to get compensation to no avail. I have sent dozens of emails, made loads of phone calls, sent them a receipt for a similar pair, they never even acknowledge the emails and to date I have had no success. Their supervisor virtually called me a liar. If this is how they treat their customers it's about time the South African public stopped subsidizing them. A business can only survive if it keeps its customers happy. Somebody should tell them they need to start treating their customers with more respect and do what they are paid to do. GIVE SOME SERVICE!!

Good day I was flying out to JFK on the 11th of November on flight 204... I was promised after myself at your help desk contacted baggage and after personnel at boarding also called baggage that my luggage would be on the flight... It had to be put over from the Frankfurt flight I couldn't take. I'm now in Denver and my luggage is nowhere to be found! I would like an immediate response as this has caused me to be without any clothes! If I do not get your help this matter will definitely be taken further!

On the way over we found that our luggage couldn't be handled due to a strike. We had to go three and a half days with only the clothes on our backs. Then, one the way back all our souvenirs were stolen at J'burg. I understand they have a real problem there. And yet they refuse to do anything about it. Does anyone know a number I can contact to try and get reimbursed? Nothing valuable. Just to me.

I travel globally and often. I've used SAA for two round-trips to Africa and will never again. The flight crew (specifically the two senior members in charge - not the other two younger attendants) from the leg from JoBurg to Dakar on my way back to the US were the worst flight experience I ever had. First my seat and everything about it - lights, tv, music, recline; all broken. I pointed it out, surrounded by many empty seats before we took off, when boarding was over. The crew made me wait 2 hours (after the full service was complete - which didn't commence for an hour) before they would allow me 10 seconds to change seats. I stared at the back of the head of the man who reclined the minute he sat down before we took off. No tv, no music, nothing, just squeezed into my seat.

After 2 hours the attendant in charge sent me to a seat next to a woman they had not socialized this with. She was angered to have someone sit in the empty seat next to her and yelled at me and threw (not exaggerating) her pillow at my face, so I promptly returned to my broken seat. The flight attendant came along and asked so I told them what happened. They told me (ordered me) to go back there, saying if she complained again they'd 'put her in her place as no rider gets away with that on their flight'. Of course I didn't go back there as I wasn't interested in being the attendant's pawn to make their case for them. It was lost on them to just let me go to one of the other many empty seats.

So 30 minutes later they let me sit somewhere else. All this time they had turned out the lights as quickly as they could and literally proceeded to yell at anyone to sit down who dared stand up to get out a bag or go to the bathroom (again, not exaggerating here). There was no turbulence, and the safety belt light was not on, they just didn't want anyone stirring. The crew continued to yell at everyone to go to sleep who got up for any reason... including me who got up to use the facilities and get my bag that was still up in my broken seat I didn't have access to. This went on the entire 8 hour flight.

I have 'never' been on a flight where the riders were yelled at for getting up during lights out. ;-) After long arduous travel, and 8 more hours on another plane, nerves are frayed and this crew escalated vs. de-escalated all stress on board. As soon as the crew in Dakar switched, there were no issues. Needless to say, the first two hours with nothing to read, hear, or watch + 8 hours of hearing them yell at riders including me...was awful under the circumstances. Never again SAA. I'm going through Europe next time regardless of the cost.

I stopped using SAA regularly in the 90's as their service became very poor, then totally stopped using them even if they were cheapest because they were crap!!! I'm now having more issues with them because they wont stop sending me their email newsletter even though I have unsubscribed over 12 times, and sent many complaint emails to customer services. Then today I get an email discussing my email regarding baggage allowance, and I have never sent them such an email. They really have gone downhill. Don't use this company. I never will again.

I am going to file a case against very bad service, very bad customer care agents in the world, very bad lost baggage and if you don't want contact me ASAP. Your all agents on call are seriously bad. I think they need more training. Your baggage department ladies disconnect my call 3 times on my face. Wow. And your complain department in Joburg Airport promised me to deliver my bag at my home yesterday. Still no update.

We were on the SA76 flight on Saturday 4 April from Johannesburg to Windhoek and both our luggage did not arrive with us. We called the airport office every day spending a lot of money as the calls in Namibia with a foreign mobile were extremely expensive. They finally managed to send our bags to our hotel five days after. I claimed a refund for all the things we had to buy as we had nothing and we were in Africa in a safari trip. They sent me an e-mail that it takes 21 working days to answer to my request but have not received any answer or refund ever since. Have sent 3 reminders and still no reply. It is definitely the worst airline I ever flied with and would not recommend it to anyone.

On the 6th May I and five friends travelled on SA 8110 from OR Tambo in Johannesburg to Bulawayo in Zimbabwe. On arrival in Bulawayo I was immediately aware as soon as I collected my case that it had been broken into. The lock had been smashed and various personal items stolen. Of the six of us travelling, four had damaged luggage and clearly an attempt had been made to break into another very secure piece of luggage.

What is SAA and the authorities in SA doing about all these thefts? It appears...nothing. The online complaints go back years and there was a video recently doing the rounds showing the baggage handlers throwing luggage around and smashing pieces against each other and the conveyor. I have put in for compensation and will see what happens. So many people have luggage damaged and items stolen and have had for years, so clearly the SAA management and the aviation authorities must know about it. I recommend tourists to Southern Africa but until such time as I receive compensation and the issue is resolved I will not be recommending anyone flies SAA.

I was on flight SA 260 from Johannesburg to Frankfurt. My carry-on baggage consisted of a Laptop bag, a small camera back and a regular carry-on. As I entered the aircraft the lead Flight Attendant told me I had to check one of my three carry-ons. This was a surprise as my camera bag is only 300mm X 200mm. He asked me which one of the three I wanted to check and obviously I could not check the camera or Laptop into cargo. The only obvious choice was my carry-on bag. Due to the fact that I did not anticipate checking my carry-on back it was not locked. The lead flight attendant neither asked me what my final destination was. He effectively took my bag and handed me a "limited release" tag - number: **. Once I was seated I realized that my bag was probably going to have to be picked up at Frankfurt on the carousel and I already had my boarding pass for my connecting flight to the USA.

I subsequently approached the Lead attendant and asked him about this. He then asked the baggage handlers to retrieve my bag and then put it in overhead stowage in Business Class. When I collected my bag in Frankfurt I noticed that my bag had been opened and checked the contents. I found that one of my shirts had been stolen. Why must the baggage handlers steal? - also in such a short time - Is there no supervision with regards to this? Shame on you South African Airlines!! I feel that this was not handled correctly, and feel that South African Airlines' flight attendants are trying to prove a point causing me to lose clothing. Had my laptop or camera been checked I would have lost it. Why, when the lead attendant discovered he had made a mistake was he able to put my bag on the overhead stowage? I could have put my camera bag under the seat in front of me.

South African Airways Company Profile