2. Travel
  3. Airlines

2.3/5 (173 ratings)

About South African Airways

South African Airways Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about South African Airways?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about South African Airways?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

Over the last few weeks we tried to contact SAA reservation in Australia in order to change our flight from Manu to Capetown. The website of SAA that suppose to enable change does not work and we tried about 12 times to contact SAA offices in Sydney or Perth. We had to wait each time 20-50 minutes with no response.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

The only reason we chose one star was because we couldn’t choose lower. We received absolutely shocking service from the staff at the Port Elizabeth International (not close to being an international airport) airport. They overbooked their flight and although we arrived a whole 2 hrs before boarding they denied our boarding and rebooked us on a flight 3 hrs later which made us miss our connecting flights which they say is not their issue as we didn’t book with them although it’s impossible to book direct from PLZ to NL. We had desk staff (Devon) walking away from us and managers (no name given) going on lunch break in the middle of the issue without any solution leaving us high and dry to deal with everything ourselves.

At the end we were offered a R1000 discount voucher to anywhere in SA (flying with SAA) valid for 1 year, of course as we don’t come from SA their “gesture” is more of a slap in the face than anything else as it’s very unlikely that any international traveler would come to SA in a 12-month turnaround, book a flight with the same disappointing air carrier, and not forgetting that R1000 is not even a quarter of an actual ticket price within SA. As an international traveler to South Africa I can honestly say that we will NEVER book with SAA again and can see why they are indeed bankrupt.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I had to cancel an upcoming SAA flight for a 14 yo boy from South Africa who’d been living with for 2 years in NYC. His mother died suddenly last week and we needed to get him home to Port Elizabeth ASAP. In this type of case SAA refund policy requires a scanned, legible copy of the death certificate for refund. I email a refund request with details of the circumstances along with a very legible scan of the mom’s death certificate. In their response SAA refund office they insisted that the scan was an illegible photo of the certificate. The straight lines and square corners clearly shows that it is a scan and EVERY word on the scanned copy is legible. I’ve gone back and forth multiple times and get the same frustrating response. The fact that this involved the death of a boy’s mother makes it more heartless and, really, gross.

Original review: May 24, 2019

The worst online booking system ever! After 6h30 minutes in front of the PC and on the phone for additional 2h I was unable to finish the booking. The price shown is 836 USD, then the payment gives you a mistake, then you call to pay for the booking and suddenly the price is 1,200 USD! CRAZY! Never ever doing this again! VERY frustrated!

Original review: May 1, 2019

To whom it may concern,

I’m currently writing this review because I have not had any luck/response from emails from my complaints that I had on a flight to Accra. I was a passenger on the South African Airways on a 2/25/19 and I would to make a complaint in requiring a flight attendant name Monday ( Mondae). I felt that he was very rude to me the entire flight. It start off when I asked him for a SWEET bottle of wine. He then stated that he has wine available and he showed me two bottles. I asked him which wine was Sweet he said they were both dry so I decline. He then rude shove the bottles back in the draw and handed me a Coke and a cup of ice.

I don’t appreciate his attitude his job is to serve the passenger. This is just one of my incidents with this particular flight attendant. Hope that his attitude toward passenger will be addressed ASAP. The second incident was when he ask me if I could put my seat up and then without giving me a chance to respond, he rudely pushed my seat up himself.

On the same flight a female flight attendant refused to let me us the rear restroom even though there was a long line at the middle restroom on the plane, I felt discriminated against and treated with ample amount of disrespect, I'm not looking forward to flying with South African Airways in the future unless this issue is acknowledged and resolved.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I have been trying to amend my Surname on my account. I have sent numerous emails with my passport and etickets to claim miles from last year and this year, till today my issue has not been resolved. I've been given emails upon emails to send and resend but nothing has happened, and now been told I have lost my miles from last year almost 60000 worth and my surname issue is still not resolved. Yesterday was eventually given supervisors email and was told will get a response within an hour, it's been 24 hrs nothing. All I want is to correct my name and claim my miles. It's taken almost 100 calls countless emails, tons of aggravation and still my issue is not resolve. My name hasn't been changed and my miles not applied. Apparently you can't speak to a supervisor or manager. You can only email them and they never respond, no fax number either. I'm at wits end. Someone please help!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

The costs of air tickets are probably the most expensive cost of an overseas holiday. One of the services you pay for is the in flight entertainment. I flew to Australia on 27 December 2018, and the in flight entertainment was not working, and I cannot sleep on an aircraft, so it was an extremely long and uncomfortable flight. I flew back from Perth to Johannesburg on 11 January 2019, and lo and behold, the in flight entertainment was not working AGAIN! All that we get told is sorry, but sometimes sorry is not enough as the air tickets are very expensive and we expect a better service. I did lodge a complaint on the SAA website on 15 January 2019, and was told that my complaint will be answered in a few hours. However, it is now two weeks later, and still no reply. It gives the SAA brand a very bad name, especially to the overseas visitors on the aircraft.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I am never flying SAA again. They are experts at insensitively bumping passengers from flights when they overbook. I travel to South Africa and Zimbabwe once every 2 years. Because it's an important trip, I make sure to make my travel arrangements well ahead of time, at least 2 months advance. Last time (two years ago) I made this trip from JNB, they tried to put me on a later flight the next day, and I refused as I had nowhere to spend the night and was on a tight schedule. Today they told me I couldn't board because they were overbooked. At first they seemed unapologetic about it stating that they are authorized to overbook. My personal arrangements and the inconvenience to me didn't seem to matter. This only happens to me with SAA. Yes, they provided a meal voucher, and ZAR3000 towards my next flight, but that doesn't match the inconvenience brought about by their actions. I am never flying SAA again, due to their unreliability.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

SAA Customer Care. I have just flown back from New York to Johannesburg on SAA on 28 Sep 2018. My Travelstart booking reference ** Ticket number **. I feel it very necessary to write this mail as I have flown a lot on many different airlines and I have NEVER had such a terrible experience as this flight. Could not check in online - I tried continuously during the 24 hours prior to departure and it always said I am ‘on standby’ and seat can’t be selected - because of this false notification, I did not sleep the entire night worrying. I called SAA South Africa and New York, I called Travelstart, I emailed both of them to sort this out. Finally I was told that I could only sort it when I arrive at JFK.

I managed to check in at JFK but the flight was full and I had to sit in the middle of the row of 4 - had the check-in allowed me to, I would have booked an aisle seat because I have a thrombosis in one leg and I need to walk frequently. The flight departed at 11.15 - after a short while we were served ‘lunch’ which was inedible - I tried the chicken. I tried the beef and finally gave up and just ate two biscuits with cheese. The entertainment centre didn’t work for the first 3 hours. After many requests and finally getting up and speaking to several crew members, they eventually re-booted the system.

By 8.30 PM we still had not been served any dinner - after asking a crew member, I was told ‘you can go and collect a sandwich from the galley’ Seriously?? This cannot even be legal that you don’t feed passengers dinner. Some passengers asked for a sandwich, others received no dinner at all. While I was waiting in the galley, a passenger asked a crew member for a cloth to clean the bathroom before she could use it.

I have not flown SAA very often but this was in a league of its own - I have never been on such a terrible flight in my entire life!! I feel 100% dissatisfied with the flight, I was so uncomfortable that I walked the aisles almost the entire night and I think to be told to get a sandwich for dinner is simply not acceptable. I feel that I wasted my hard-earned money by choosing SAA, and I would appreciate a reply which addresses all the above. I have started reading through your list of complaints and I see that there are MANY complaints of a similar nature!!! Perhaps you disregard all complaints as it appears they are repeated continually!! Have you refunded any passengers for the horrendous conditions?? Perhaps further action is required.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I had a flight with SAA from OR Thambo to Malawi Blantyre Chileka Airport with my 3 year old daughter on Monday the 27th at 10 am. FLIGHT number OJ7OIB. On our return flight to Blantyre I booked 2 extra suitcases to accommodate for all of this. And placed my one small hand luggage suitcase into one of my big suitcases so that I can take my LED computer monitor with me on board the same way I did going to Johannesburg. On arrival at the SAA counters while standing in the queue at check in (as it appeared that online check were down) I asked the supervisor there if she can arrange assistance for me to walk with my daughter and I from Check In to our gate A27 which I already know is a distance to walk especially with hand luggage and my daughter. Her response to me was that there is no assistance, and that I carry the hand luggage and my daughter carries whatever she can.

At the check in counter everything went smoothly with the luggage and the extra pieces. Again I asked if assistance can be arranged for me to walk to the gates, and again I was told there are no assistance that can be arranged. The check in officer went to the booking center to confirm that we have paid for the extra luggage. Before she left I asked her if everything is in order with the luggage. She came back a few minutes later when she spotted my LED monitor in a carry bag. She asked me what it is and I explained. She called the supervisor who told me it is not allowed on the aircraft. I explained that I flew with it as hand luggage from Blantyre. I said to her there should be no reason why I can't fly with it back. She explained that they don't allow TVs on board. I said I can understand that. But this is not something with coding or plasma. If we can fly with Laptops we can fly with this screen.

I asked her if there is anyone else that I can talk to about this. She said to me there is nobody. She said to me that this monitor will not go on the flight. She will not allow me to board the flight and for me to put the other passengers and SAA at risk. She is not going to take the risk for SAA to receive a fine from the airport. I felt to leave and take the risk to board as I flew with it from Blantyre. And there is no reason why this should be a risk or be a danger. She firmly told me that she will revoke my ticket and that I will not be able to fly. I asked her. "What would you like me to do? I am alone here. I can't phone anybody." She gave me her phone and said, "You can phone from my phone for your uncle to come and fetch it."

I asked again. And she walked off and came back with the floor manager. Who explained the same thing to me. They said I should go down to cargo to send it to Malawi. Paying again the extra fees. And this only minutes before we had to board. She said to me I need to leave the monitor at the check in counter and ask my uncle to come and fetch me. At this point she got busy with another client. I gathered all our hand luggage, handbag, baby bag and blanket to leave and make our way to the gate. I left the monitor there by her. And I said to her. "This is really terrible service from SAA and I will not choose to fly again as you can't even provide assistance for mothers with children."

My uncle fetched the monitor later during the day at which point there was a new supervisor at the section whom told him that they should have allowed us to board with it. I firstly find it very sad that SAA and the airport does not offer extra support to parents or single parents traveling with babies, toddlers or children. Getting everything ready to travel with a child, especially if it is a morning flight is incredibly stressful on parents, never mind a parent traveling alone! Then to get to the airport where there is no extra support makes any flight very hard. I really wish to see them in SA. Where we respect women, and mothers. There is staff available from the airport or the airline. But it seems too much effort to go the extra mile to make a flight a pleasant experience.

South African Airways Company Information