4.28/5
Based on 48 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Discover a great timeshare now

Royal Holiday

Royal Holiday gives its members the possibility to travel to over 180 different destinations. From flexible and convenient travel options, Royal Holiday allows you to spend memorable times with your family.

Whether you are looking for a hotel, villa or a cruise, you can rest assured that with Royal Holiday you will be able to find the option that works best for you. Contact us today to start planning your next vacation!

Read More Read More
    Last updated: April 18, 2018

121 Royal Holiday Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 18, 2018

I still have 11 years left on the 30 year membership I purchased and every year when I go to use my points it is the most frustrating and upsetting experience. The locations are average or below... No locations are excellent (like the one where they set up their sales office to suck you into buying). Their staff is very friendly and polite so I have no complaints with the service but it is the policies they uphold that is the issue. I could go on forever with issues about the misleading information provided when you purchase compared to reality. If you don't book early in the year there is nothing available when you try to book. Trust me... STAY AWAY!

Original review: April 2, 2018

I went down to Mexico and had such a great time. The food was delicious. Actually it was incredible. The Mexican food in Mexico is not like it is in the USA. Totally unique and excellent service with an extremely low cost when I looked at the total trip expenses in the end. Really great stuff and the people from Royal Holiday are truly amazing.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: March 30, 2018

My husband and I have been members for several years now. We paid 10's of thousands of US dollars for our membership. When they are selling the membership to you there is promise after promise. You are guaranteed certain rooms. However, last year we encountered a huge problem when I booked our trip with family out of the country for the first time to visit us. ONLY did we get what we paid for after I had to ARGUE what we paid for. Now this year... we always book well in advance... like months. We couldn't get any Spring break locations... NOT Mexico, Dominican Republic, Aruba, Florida etc. ALL dates we entered were NOT available. We PAID Expedia thousands of dollars and got to the location we wanted to go.

Now I'm looking for our summer vacation destination. NOT happening. ALL dates once again are NOT available! When we do book with them you will have to pay yes another $1000 for the ALL inclusive to them AFTER you already paid them 10's of thousands of dollars for your membership already. WE will be canceling our membership and we HIGHLY recommend getting a membership through IBEROSTAR!!! They honor and welcome their members with open arms!!!

So sad Royal Holiday treats their members this way. Oh and if you do get in for a vacation ALL specialty restaurants are always booked even if you book on the first day you arrive. We have seen over and over again the SPECIALTY restaurants be empty and ONLY a half a dozen tables filled!!! SAD. They take your money and run but when they need YOU for hurricane relief they know who to LEAN and CALL on!!!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I've been with Royal Holiday for several years and I thought it was time to write a review. If you're thinking of joining, do it! The credits are easy to redeem and when you join, you lock in low rates. I've been all over the world and saved money every time, especially when all-inclusive options are offered. I've never had credits go unused, but apparently you can roll them over or sell them. I've heard that some places can get booked up during peak travel seasons, but I always book early and have never had a problem. Do yourself a favor and join, it's the only way to travel.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Just returned from the Grand Rivera Princess in Cancun. Spent 10 days there. The place is amazing. The employees cannot do enough for you, the hotel is spotless pools all over and the variety of food is amazing. The staff at Royal Holiday are so polite and courtesy and always look to help you out. Being a member since 2006 I cannot say enough, and during our last stay 2/1/18 to 2/10/18 purchased an additional 20,000 credits. I highly recommend Royal. There are so many places to visit and dealing with a reputable company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Holiday?

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I recently stayed at the Grand Park Royal Cozumel and I don't even know where to start. First, there's the white sand beaches, warm ocean waters, palm trees swaying, the works. Then there's the resort. We woke up to a gorgeous ocean view every morning and the rooms are super posh. We sat in a hot tub on the beach, there's an infinity pool with a swim-up bar and waterslide, there are restaurants and bars in the hotel, and pretty much everything you want is provided. The concierge helped us book a snorkeling tour, which was amazing. Thanks to Royal Holiday for the vacation of a lifetime. I couldn't have asked for more.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I'm not opposed to booking my own travel, setting the itinerary, and hashing out all the details, but sometimes I hate being the one planning everything. I thought it would be nice to have someone else do it for a change. Turns out Royal Holiday doesn't just offer resort hotels at hundreds of destinations, they also have travel agency services available to members. What? How did I not know about this sooner? I could have saved myself so much time and trouble, argh! Needless to say, I will be using this service in the future.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

My family has used our Royal Holiday membership to plan huge family trips to Europe, South America, the Caribbean, and all over the U.S. and Canada. I think we made our friends jealous talking about our trips and showing off vacation pics. Anyway, my best friend and his wife decided they wanted to give it a try, so for their first trip I brought them as guests - just bought additional credits so I could add them to our reservation. Long story short, they loved it and signed up for membership when they got back. Looks like our family trips just got a little bigger.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

For my kids when someone told me about Royal Holiday Vacation Club. I had never been part of a vacation club before, but once I started looking into the benefits, I realized it could be great for the whole family. My kids ended up loving the summer camp they attended and couldn't stop gushing about all the activities and the friends they made. I've been trying to plan our first family vacation, but I've hit a snag - with so many locations to choose from, I can't decide where we should go first!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I had to write in to thank the wonderful people at Royal Holiday. I signed up for membership with plans to travel to the Caribbean, but my mom got sick and I just couldn't get away. I was worried about my credits expiring, but when I called in they told me I could roll them over. They were so helpful and compassionate about my situation, and that really meant a lot to me. Now that my mom is recovering, I'm hoping we can go on a Caribbean cruise together in the new year.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Just got back from my first trip to Bariloche, Argentina and it was AMAZING!!! The Aldea Andina Adventure Resort is beautiful. My friends and I got a suite with a lake view. I can't even - it was so gorgeous. I know it's a ski place, but it was so great to get away from winter, enjoying hiking in the woods, boating on the lake, and like 70-80-degree weather daily. It was so relaxing, I would definitely go again! I'm very happy with my Royal Holiday membership and I'm already planning my next trip!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I was a bronze member for years when I was single and didn't have a ton of money to travel. Got to see a lot of Europe that way. When I started traveling with my wife (then girlfriend) I upgraded to silver so I had enough credits to bring her along as a guest. Now that we have two daughters and they're finally big enough to travel with, it's time for another upgrade. I am a big fan of Royal Holiday and the cost-effective travel they offer. I liked it before kids and I think it's going to be even better traveling as a family.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Was incredibly happy with my Royal Holiday vacation club trip. We shopped around and looked at over a dozen different vacation packages and ended up going with the Royal Holiday vacation deal because both the price was the best and their overall choices far exceeded what the other travel clubs had to offer.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

We got a Membership from Royal Holiday 2 years ago because seemed like a great opportunity for family vacations. They offered free credits, airplane tickets discounts, even rent the membership if we don't use it. **!!! They are lying, they just take your money, you have to pay a mandatory fee for restaurants even if you have all your credits and they do not have available dates to make your reservations. NEVER. Also, you have to pay a fee every year, in addition, to the membership cost (That is too expensive, almost 16,000 dollars). At the end of the day if you look for hotel in different website like Expedia or something like that the price is the same or even less than the Royal Holiday price. So, PLEASE DO NOT buy it!! RUN AWAY. This company is a FRAUD.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I feel the need to elaborate on the accumulation of points in Edwin from Iowa's post. Firstly, as a Bronze member, you earn 5000 points a year, not 10000. However, that is not what I am writing about. As Edwin stated, you do in fact carry over points from the preceding year. However, if you don't use those points in the following year, you lose them. As it was explained to me during my conversation today with Royal Holiday, I earn 5000 points my first year as a bronze member and earn 20% of that the following year. That gives me a total of 6000 points to use for travel. However, if I don't use those points that year, they don't continue to accumulate. They are unfortunately lost. So, in my third year, I'm starting all over again with 5000 points and 1000 points in my fourth year and again must use them or lose them.

Another way of accumulating points is to use what is called an accelerated provision, which allows you to use your points from your 30th year in the plan (this is an obligation, once you sign up, you're stuck for 30 years, it is by no means voluntary). So, if you have 5000 points in your 30th year and you use those points during your first year of membership, your term has been reduced by two years after your first year in the plan (the first year plus the 30th year of which you have used your entitled points for that year). Sound reasonable? Not really. The reason is this: In order to use your entitled points in your 30th year, you must also pay the $415 yearly maintenance fee for that year, in addition to the $415 yearly maintenance fee for the current year. Also, you must use this feature at least 15 times over the life of your membership in order for it to benefit you.

In other words, if you take advantage of this feature (accelerated provision) only 14 times, you are obligated for the full term of 30 years! It should also be noted that over the life of your membership, you are entitled to the carry over provision (remember earlier-5000 points earned the prior year entitles you to carry over those 5000 point plus 1000 points earned the following year) only 10 times over the course of your 30 year obligation.

This data isn't in the contract when you sign up, however there is a provision in the contract that tells you that this information is on the company’s website and that you understand this before you sign the contract. My recommendation is that if you are considering signing up with this company (normally high pressure sales at one of their resorts), that you review the destinations that you will be travelling to and see if you will have sufficient points for that destination for the amount of time that you plan on staying there (6000 points sounds like a lot unless it requires 10000 points or more to stay at the resort of your choosing).

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

My husband and I were looking for an affordable way to travel with our two boys when a friend told us about Royal Holiday. I had never really considered a vacation club before, I didn't even really know what it was, but I was surprised by what you could get for the price. We have already gone on two vacations, one of them with our friends who recommended the club. It was easy to coordinate booking and the kids all got to play together, which was great. We're trying to convince our family members to sign up now so we can all book family vacations together. It's just so easy to book and coordinate!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I had heard that cruises to Alaska were just incredible, so when my wife and I signed up for Royal Holiday Vacation Club, we decided that would be our first trip. What can I say? It was unbelievable. The ship accommodations were great. We skipped the balcony to save some credits, but we spent so little time in the room, it didn't even matter. There was so much to do on the boat, we had great food, did a couple's massage, and went to movies on the deck. And then there was the scenery - just incredible. Can't think of a better way to travel on a set budget for retirement.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I always wanted to do resort travel, but it was too expensive, so I usually ended up staying at crappy hotels and spending my money on activities so I wouldn't have to sit in the hotel. This is not the case with Royal Holiday Vacation Club. My parents were using it and convinced me to sign up and I can't believe what you get for the money. Resort accommodations, food and drinks, access to private beaches, and more. Now I don't even have to leave the hotel to have an awesome vacation.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

My family and I love winter sports and have been to Whistler more than once. It's great because it's not as crowded as some other ski resort towns. The only problem is the cost and difficulty booking rooms during the peak winter season. I was so happy to find that Royal Holiday has a location in Whistler! We still have to book in advance to make sure we can all get rooms at the same time, but we're saving a lot over traditional bookings!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

The best thing about Royal Holiday Vacation Club, aside from the awesome destinations and resorts, is that prices are locked in for 30 years. Once I have credits, I can use them for any vacation spot they offer. I can purchase more points or upgrade if I want, and I can even sell unused credits (with restrictions, I think, haven't actually tried this yet).

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I was pleasantly surprised to discover Royal Holiday offers all-inclusive vacations, even at their resorts (not just on cruises). This is great because I'm usually traveling with a big group of family members and lots of kids, which can make it hard to figure out transportation and get seated together at restaurants. Having everything in one place and for a set price makes it so much easier.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

My first trip with Royal Holiday went off without a hitch. We chose our destination, booked using our credits, and ended up at an absolutely stunning location in Cozumel right on the beach. They helped us set up a snorkeling excursion and a day trip to the mainland to see the ruins at Tulum. It was probably one of the best vacations I've ever had!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I must say that this was one of the most amazing and beautiful beaches that I had ever visited. The deal with Royal Holiday is that they help you pick out from hundreds of different vacation options and it's hard to choose just one but I choose a better beach than the ones we're used to in Florida. It was totally relaxing and laid back and made my vacation! We then went to see the big cities in Europe and highly recommend anybody who is looking for a cost saving vacation deal to look into how Royal Holiday may be a great fit for them.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Signed up a 1 1/2 yrs ago for Royal Holiday Club. What a disappointment. We could have booked our vacations any day of the week for the money! Food is $75 per day per person and no flights are included. Was given a free flight but it was only good for 1 year and we never could use it for a destination we wanted to travel to (not applicable according to them). Thought we would get the better oceanfront rooms when vacationing at their resorts. Well, that didn't happen. Their reps drive you nuts bugging you while you are on vacation wanting you to attend a meeting and presentation. NEVER AGAIN!!!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Iceland is an amazing country and really such an intriguing place to visit, I would say that there is a lagoon that is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Would def. advise those thinking about cruising or visiting the Icelandic territory that this is a hidden gem that all should see. Also the fish and char that we got to eat was also some of the freshest fish that we have ever eaten.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Like the title says perfect pricing and perfect rating for a vacation of this caliber. I would say if you have a big family and need affordable options on where to go on vacation to then you can use the services and outline of all the different locations that are offered by the Royal Holiday team. It's definitely tough when you have a family to pick where to vacation to but if you are patient and do your research you will find some great places to go and some discount bulk buying opportunities like the ones we found here. Very happy so 5 stars for them.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I gave them 4 stars out of 5 because the cruise line we went on had some rocky waters and my wife got sick. We were not dissatisfied with the Royal Holiday Club and the value was less than what it would have cost if we did a staycation and got a hotel at the Park Hyatt in the city for a week. Either way it was a nice vacation and we are glad we went and the service was great.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Royal Holiday was a great escape from our military town that we live in. The family got together and discussed different places that we could go on vacation to and couldn't decide. Burton recommended that we check out the Royal Holiday travel clubs. They had almost too many places for us to choose to visit. When we finally decided on one it was good because they guided us on how their credit system worked and how to pick a destination. From there it was all inclusive and we didn't have much work left. Very happy and thus the 5 star review and rating.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I think it's particularly important that I explain the membership and point system as a loyal consumer of the membership site. There are several membership levels, unlocking a total of more than 180 destinations. The basic membership is bronze. The bronze membership allocates me 10,000 vacation points, if memory serves me right. Thankfully, the basic level of membership covers most Mexican destination points including Cozumel, Cancun, San Jose del Cabo. The benefits of the Bronze membership is that I can be a member for 30 years, giving me the opportunity to book a room or a resort up to 12 months in advance. I could use accumulated holiday credits, buy additional vacation credits if I want to upgrade my accommodations or include someone else in my itinerary, as well as seasonal offers.

The seasonal offers are one of my favorite features since I am more of an opportunistic traveler -- I'm quick to travel if there is a deal in front of me right then and there. I recently was able to visit Grand Park Royal Cozumel. It's a kid friendly resort located on the beautiful island of Cozumel. One of the best things about it is that it is an all-inclusive resort that is located on a foundation of coral reefs. This means that I was able to enjoy one of my favorite pastimes -- scuba diving at any given moment.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

My husband and I decided to book a seven-night excursion in the Caribbean with Carnival Cruise Line. It was a massive ship and a glorious experience. Every corner presented us with a new theme and aesthetic. We enjoyed delicious meals on board, comfortable accommodations with 24-hour service, and nightly entertainment. It was also nice to just de-stress and have seven nights with just my husband and I. The Carnival Splendor has so much personality on not only its cuisine and entertainment options but also its slew of spas that I was able to enjoy! There's even a dedicated cabin for spas, with retractable star domes over the ship's pool deck. Even though the ship can apparently accommodate almost 4000 people, we never really felt like the ship was overcrowded, which was nice.

Using our vacation points was pretty straightforward. Even though we used the bulk of our points, we're glad to know that it carries over to next year. Who knows - we may book another cruise next year or the year after that if we want to upgrade our vacation package! I am a bit of a culture connoisseur -- I tend to get myself into different cultures and custom ways of life. The slight discomfort when I find myself in a new land is exhilarating, addicting, and reminds myself there's life beyond my city blocks.

One of the places that I love to visit is Mexico. It is simply one of the more friendlier places that I've been, with friendly locals that are accommodating, offer a sense of culture, and are willing to share a drink with me, a foreigner from the United States. During college, my friends and I visited Cancun on a yearly basis. In my adult years, I find myself wanting to experience the hospitality of the country in the form of resorts and all inclusive vacation packages. I already know that different parts of Mexico can cater to my young and wild spirit -- but now as an adult, I find refuge in relaxation.

Eventually, I discovered Royal Holiday Vacation Club. The club works as something akin to a membership to an inclusive organization, utilizing a point system that doesn't expire. Not only that, but these points actually accumulate over the years. This means that if I decide not to use my points for this year, I can then use it next year.

I was happy to see that Royal Holiday Vacation Club doesn't only cater to the party zones of Mexico. I have access to the Pacific coastline of the country, Mexican South, and Central Mexico. This type of diversity is satisfying, since I will be able to visit one region of Mexico this year, and a whole different part of the country the following year.

Royal Holiday expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Royal Holiday Vacation Club offers memberships that let you travel to nearly 200 destinations in over 50 countries. It has over 100,000 members and has been in business since 1983. Royal Holiday Vacation Club is a subsidiary of Park Royal Hotels and Resorts.

• Destination choices: You can choose from a wide variety of destinations to visit as a Royal Holiday Vacation Club member. Options include Buenos Aires, London, Paris, the Poconos, Orlando, the Dominican Republic and hundreds more.

• Cruises: You can use your membership points to take a cruise. Cruise line options include Carnival, Princess Cruises, MSC Cruceros and Australis.

• Special deals: Royal Holiday Vacation Club has special discounts so you get more bang for your Royal Holiday points. You can visit the company’s website to see current special offers.

• Flexible: Unlike a timeshare, you can use your points at any destination at any time. You’re not locked into a particular location or schedule.

• Blog: Visit the company’s website to read several blogs. Royal Holiday has blogs for travel, destinations, news and jobs. The blogs offer helpful advice about traveling for everyone, not just for vacation club members.

• Best for: Royal Holiday Vacation Club is best for international travelers and frequent travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs