3.70/5

Discover a great timeshare now

Royal Holiday

Royal Holiday gives its members the possibility to travel to over 180 different destinations. From flexible and convenient travel options, Royal Holiday allows you to spend memorable times with your family.

Whether you are looking for a hotel, villa or a cruise, you can rest assured that with Royal Holiday you will be able to find the option that works best for you. Contact us today to start planning your next vacation!

171 Royal Holiday Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 14, 2019

After reading through these reviews on this website about whether or not Royal Holiday is a good deal or not and I want to give my down to earth, honest opinion. To start things off it is quite insulting to say that every person in the United States cannot do math. I agree that there are some that cannot but in reality it is prejudice to say that everyone can't. I am not even from the United States and I know that people there can do math! There are a few things to consider when booking a vacation, you need to think about location, flights, food, activities, and convenience.

Convenience is where Royal Holiday creates value. By booking with Royal Holiday a customer can save money and time by working with them to create an ideal vacation. All of the resorts that I have gone to have been well maintained, private, and all inclusive. These are things that you cannot put a dollar amount to. Our last vacation we went to Puerto Rico. I did the "math" after reading these reviews and found that on average we have saved $500 dollars on each of our vacations. This adds up. Royal Holiday is well worth the money and in fact will help you save money in the end. I might be a little biased because Royal Holiday offers so many vacations to my country. But it's a value that you can't beat and I will continue to suggest to all my friends and family that they go with Royal Holiday for their vacations.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I was not sure about Royal Holiday when I first contacted them. They seemed nice and all but it was scary to try something like them. We decided to book a trip with them to Cancun to see how it was. Let's start with the booking process. We went online and called our account representative and they helped us pick out a vacation. We decided to go with Cancun because it was somewhere we had been before and we were more comfortable with it. We got down to Mexico and the airline told us that our luggage hadn't arrived yet. That was no good, but they said they would send it to our hotel. Royal Holiday called us the minute that it arrived at the hotel and we were able to pick it up without any problems. That was very impressive to me. I was scared we would be stuck in Mexico without luggage but they helped us get our luggage back. The resort was very nice. It seemed clean and the staff were welcoming.

We spent most of our time in the ruins around Cancun because I am from Miami and beaches aren't as impressive as they once were. There were excursions right outside the hotel that they helped us book. The ease of doing the whole vacation was downright impressive. We are now back in Miami and I am thinking we will probably do our next vacation with Royal Holiday as well. Maybe we will do something more adventurous than Mexico. Either way we are happy.

Get expert buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

The credit system is pretty easy to use. You get a certain amount of credits each year and they roll over, you can bank them for your next trip, which is nice. I wasn’t expecting my credits to actually transfer without a fight, but it was really easy to get my credits applied to my next vacation. They didn’t even give me trouble over the phone, which was great and unexpected since usually customer service people are not that helpful. I don’t always have time to go on vacation every year due to my work, so I was doubtful about whether or not a membership like this would work. It’s been pretty good so far, a few years back I took a trip to Mexico City, which I’d always wanted to see. I can’t go this year because of work but I’m excited to hold onto my credits for an even better trip next year.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Once my kids left home my husband and I pretty much gave up on the idea of taking vacations. What’s the point? I’m starting to see the error of my ways. Royal Holiday was recommended to me by a friend who’s always darting off to some exotic location and I figured I might as well give it a try. In the past two years, we went to a beautiful resort in Rio and took a short “staycation” here in San Francisco. I had my doubts about what the rooms were going to be like but they weren’t cheap looking or overly touristy. Both times the lodgings were wonderful and I had no complaints. It made me remember how nice it was to take vacations before the kids came along. I felt truly relaxed for the first time in ages. I can’t wait to start planning my next trip: Maybe Italy?

Original review: July 29, 2018

I’m seriously impressed with the customer service. I was trying to book a hotel for a week and I got a little confused about the dates, so I called them up and got someone who was really well-informed and walked me through it. I didn’t know a ton about Royal Holiday since I got my membership as a gift from my sister (who wants us all to take more family vacations together.) The woman on the phone laid it out for me: Me and my family can basically go wherever we want for a non-competitive rate, which is great. We’re looking at places to head out for our first ever family vacation next year since my sister and I were kids, and I have to say, I’m getting kind of excited. I’m glad my sister did this: It’s something I would have never thought to do for the family.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Holiday?

Original review: May 6, 2019

Royal Holiday is a leader when it comes to customer service and it shows. When I booked with them I instantly noticed the amazing service that they provide. I was very impressed from start to finish about the service they were providing me and my family. We loved our vacation and they were a very large part of that good experience.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Google Royal Holiday 20/20. We signed up with them... What a scam!!! They operate outside the US so rules don’t apply to them. Beware!! Tried many times to use points but they were rude & told us we didn’t have enough!! Spent thousands with them!!

Original review: April 18, 2019

I had a great experience when it came to working with Royal Holiday. At first I wasn't sure when speaking to them how my experience would go. I was very reserved and did not want to be taken advantage of. Because of that I spent many hours researching and preparing myself to talk to them. I am happy to report that they did me justice and provided me with the support that they are becoming known for. They answered all of my questions in a kind and informative way. I was very pleased.

Original review: April 11, 2019

One of my friends told me that I should check out Royal Holiday so I decided to take their advice. I called up the company and asked them to sell the service to me. I was so impressed that I signed up right away! The first thing I have to say is that they are very kind. That is refreshing coming from a salesperson. Most salespeople are pushy and get out of line. Secondly they were very intelligent. They knew the answer to all of my questions and they provided a thorough answer. Lastly they explained the program in a way that helped me to realize the benefit. Besides just price there are many other things that go into a vacation. Things like planning, flights, hotels, location, staff, etc. They checked off the boxes in all of these categories and more. I was impressed.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I grew up in an area far from the ocean. The closest thing I have ever see to the ocean is a lake. That is why when we took a family vacation to Puerto Vallarta through Royal Holiday I was blown away. I had never seen something so blue and so vast. Just staring at the ocean you could get lost in how big it was. The beach was really fun too. I got to build sand castles for the first time ever! It was kinda dinky but it was still fun. I absolutely loved this vacation and it was truly life changing for me. I just wanted to thank Royal Holiday for giving me that.

Original review: March 14, 2019

My family and I just had the most amazing vacation ever booked through Royal Holiday Vacation Club. We were able to go to Cancun! I am still giddy with excitement over how much fun we had! In my opinion the vacation was well worth the price that we spent to book it through Royal Holiday! They were very kind to us, they helped us each step of the way and made sure that we knew exactly what was going to happen. Once we got everything squared away with them we started our adventure! Let me tell you Cancun is beautiful. The water was extremely clear, we got to lounge on the beach all day. One of the days we decided to go explore inland more and it is so green! I don't think I have ever seen so much green in one place. Definitely a dream vacation!

Original review: March 12, 2019

We’re Royal Holiday members since 2011. At the beginning of every year we try to book our vacation for 2 adults. Same happened this year too. Rep Ana ** gave us over the phone a price $2,648.45 for Bavaro Princess resort in Punta Cana. To estimate total cost for this reservation we have to count our $460 annual fee which gives us 5000 points towards vacation every year and $267 cost per every year of our 30 years contract. Adding all these numbers for this 2019 booking bring us to $3,375.45 ($2,648.45 + $460 + $267 = $3,375.45).

We checked online prices for the same vacation from major travel sites and found that it cost only $2,569 for the same dates and accommodation. I can send a screen print from www.kayak.com. So Royal Holiday charges for the same vacation $806.45 MORE for 2 adults. I asked Ana where are our savings Royal Holiday promised to their members. Ana offered to try another resort. We have tried to book Grand Park Royal Cancun for the same dates. Like in the previous booking total cost of booking with Royal Holiday was hundred dollars more than it cost on major travel web sites.

Then we tried other resorts in Royal Holiday family. All the bookings with Royal Holiday were hundreds of dollars more expensive for the same dates and accommodations compare with online travel sites. I emailed screen prints from www.kayak.com to Ana and Juan ** to prove these low prices on the same bookings. However, Royal Holiday responded to us that nothing they can do and we have to pay $806 more than non-members for the same vacation and accommodation. What’s a point to be a member?

Royal Holiday promises solid savings on vacation compare with prices from major travel agencies. They promise and demonstrate solid savings on the paper to make Americans to sign into contract. As soon as people sign they realize that Royal Holiday can’t fulfill their promises. That’s why huge amount of American consumers complain on this company. ABC News “20/20” even made their investigation to respond to thousands of complaints from American consumers who were scammed by Royal Holiday **. The company intentionally was registered offshore to be immune to US law. However, they target mostly American consumers and thousands of them were scammed.

Now why you see here some people have positive responses about Royal Holiday. I teach math in universities for many years. From my experience I see that many people can’t do math calculations for their real life situations. So Royal Holiday exploit the fact that Americans trust and believe what they hear and most of them are not good with math. I’m sure people who rate Royal Holiday 4 or 5 stars are those people who never compared actual cost of their vacation including contract cost and annual fee versus costs on sites like Kayak, Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Caribbean and others. They would scream if they calculate actual costs of their vacations including contract cost and annual fees that grows exponentially. Well… It’s their problem if they believe they save money with Royal Holiday.

The only time when we found the Royal Holiday vacation cost is acceptable is around hurricane season. However, the price on major travel sites also drop dramatically at this time. Again, no sense to buy from Royal Holiday even then. We also were scammed by Royal Holiday promise to save on vacations because it looked great on the paper and we didn’t have any experience with them. All these years we just deposited Royal Holiday points with RCI to get much better deal when we exchange. However, I have no problem just to stop paying them rising maintenance fee. They can’t do anything to me because they are foreign entity with so bad reputation. Plus I keep all my booking examples as future arguments in fight with Royal Holiday in case if they try to bother me which I have big doubts based on other members' experience.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Fee up every year and they automatically charge $2 as a "voluntary" contribution. I have tried for days to reach customer service and get a busy signal. Trying to pay online, will only let their total show and require reading terms and conditions which is not accessible. We bought in at Bronze level which is worth a Holiday Inn Express room in their Cancun Park Royal. Would not provide a coffee pot for the room. Small pool, average food, lame entertainment. Lots of pressure to upgrade. Worst deal I ever made and deeply regret it. You can do a lot better elsewhere. This has no value once you buy it and you would have to hate anyone you gave it to.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Royal Holiday is the cheapest way to travel anywhere in the world. They give great discounts on resorts in Mexico, Argentina, Europe, Egypt, etc. We have gone on quite a few to Mexico and one to Egypt and every time we were able to go without breaking the bank. They were extremely helpful and explaining how the membership works and they have always been honest and upfront with us. We will never vacation with anyone else after the amazing customer service we have received at Royal Holiday.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I contacted Royal Holiday on March 1, 2019 to book vacation at Park Royal Cancun on Dec 25, 2019 - Jan 1, 2020 for 2 adults. I spoke with rep Astrid. After applying my account credit she gave me additional cost for this vacation. It was additional $2,075.00 USD. Plus, for 2019 I have already paid my $460 annual fee to Royal Holiday. Also, I have to take in consideration average cost per year for life of my contract. It is another $267 every year. All these numbers are my total cost for this 2019 vacation: $2,075 + $460 + $267 = $2,802.

I checked expedia.com and other websites for cost for the same vacation and accommodation. It cost only $2,667.07. $2,802 cost from Royal Holiday vs. $2,667.07 on Expedia.com for the same vacation. Hence, for people who don’t join Royal Holiday cost for the same vacation is cheaper. I sent my booking from Expedia back to Royal Holiday to Astrid and quality Assurance Analyst Juan **. Astrid replied back complete nonsense stating “I have verified the information you provided, and what I am seeing here is that the prices we are giving you are still cheaper.” I asked her to provide numbers that proves her statement. There was no response. As well I got no response from Juan **.

Next time when you book your trip consider your total cost to keep your Royal Holiday membership (annual fee plus average contract cost per year) vs. cost for the same vacation on American websites. You will see that there are NO benefits to belong to Royal Holiday. I checked another Royal Holiday resorts and tried to get cost. Result is the same: total cost for Royal Holiday booking is higher compare what it cost to NON-Members. They intentionally lie to you when promise you significant savings. We were scammed.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Pls stay away from them, they charged 25000 US dollars when we sign up and they are still taking 900 US dollars every year, whenever we try to book vacation with them, the same rate we were getting from outside rather sometimes their rates are more. We have wasted so much of our time and hard earned money with them, somebody should tell us what should we do.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

If you are looking for a truly amazing vacation then look no further. Royal Holiday Vacation Club is the kind of vacation that will knock your socks off! Everything from the amazing locations to the world-class customer service will astound you. I know it did for me. We have never once had a problem with our agreement or vacation. I don't think these people know how to be dishonest. They are by far the most amazing vacation company out there!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

We have been using Royal Holiday for our vacation needs for quite some time now. They have always been upfront with us and very honest. They take out our payments exactly when they say they will and are constantly in contact with us to make sure we are receiving the best service available. I have never ever been charged for something I shouldn't have been charged for and they are always the first to notify me if there is a problem. You cannot find that kind of honesty in other travel companies. I recommend Royal Holiday Vacation Club to anyone wanting an amazing vacation and a company that will take care of them.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Royal Holiday Vacation Club has been extremely upfront and honest the entire time we have dealt with them. When we signed up for our vacation they told us exactly how things were going to take place and exactly how much we were going to be charged. We had to change our cards at one point and they were very understanding and helped us change our payment method without an issue. I am extremely impressed with their honesty and straightforwardness. They make their term's very easy to understand and should be clear to anyone reading them. I have had the time of my life every vacation I have tried and will continue using them in the future.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Purchased the credits in August 2018 at Bavaro Princess in Punta Cana DR. Everything went well and I have been making payments every month. This month the annual membership is due and they withdrew $1237 from my checking account without my permission. The only reason they have my debit card information is because I used that card when I made the initial purchase in August. They were never authorized to have this account on file. In fact they told me that it was removed after the purchase. This is very unfair, this is fraud and I will not have it. I already file a fraud complaint with my bank and I will be speaking to a lawyer. You can not treat people like this, this is not the way to do business. Stay away from Royal Holiday. They are dishonest.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

This time of year my family and I like to travel somewhere warm for the winter. We often take a trip to Cancun or to the Bahamas. This year we decided maybe it was time to join a travel club since we did this every year. A travel club could save us money and help with the planning in general. We finally decided to go with Royal Holiday Vacation Club and we were not disappointed. Everything was taken care of for us and the service was exceptional. We are very pleased with Royal Holiday and look forward to using them for years to come.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Royal Holiday Vacation Club provided my family and I a very enjoyable vacation. We called up Royal Holiday and they were very helpful in creating our vacation experience. The resort was nice and the staff was friendly. We recommend Royal Holiday to anyone who is looking for a good vacation.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

In 2008 I upgraded my Royal Holiday Membership by transferring from my home resort in Nassau to Bavaro Princess in Punta Cana. The agreement was that I could stay at the resort at any time on a space available basis and pay the all inclusive rate without using my points. When I tried to book for 2019 I was told that the all inclusive rate is 50% higher if my points were not used. My certificate clearly states that I would only pay the all inclusive rate for that time of year. Royal Holiday is stating that there are two levels of all inclusive rates. One if you use points and other if you do not. I asked where such a rule is published but was told that this rule is not for members (really). At any rate my agreement clearly states that I would pay the all inclusive rate then in effect (not one that is 50% higher). At this point they are refusing my reservation request which is totally contravening my written agreement. Anybody else had this experience?

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Let's just say I went a little overboard with my wedding budget. So, when it came to my honeymoon quickly approaching I was getting pretty worried about having a honeymoon that my husband and I would remember. Royal Holiday was recommended to us by our wedding planner and I cannot thank her enough. Not only was my wedding amazing... so was our honeymoon. Thanks, Royal Holiday!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Wow! Royal Holiday made my 30th birthday amazing! My best friend and I picked this company after doing a little research, and it was the most affordable... but also without nixing the luxury of a birthday that I knew I wanted to remember. If you have a holiday to celebrate, take your favorite people... Royal Holiday will come through!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Very happy with Royal Holiday. Royal Holiday Vacation Club is great for all-inclusive resort holidays. I was incredibly pleased with their services, which included helping me find the right Bahamas resort for my family vacation. They even assisted me with getting the best resort hotel rates, along with flight booking and a myriad of amenities. I highly recommend joining the Royal Holiday Vacation Club today!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Royal Holiday was not our first choice for a vacation... until we experienced it for ourselves. We don't get a chance to get away much but we knew that we wanted to for our 25th anniversary. Since we don't get away much, Royal Holiday really made it easy getting us where we wanted to go and finding us the perfect cruise to make our special day once in a lifetime.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

When you are looking for somewhere to go on a holiday, look no further than Royal Holiday to find the information that you need to pick a wonderful location. Whether you are staying close to home or wanting to travel across the world, they have a destination that should suit your needs.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I joined Royal Holiday vacation club last year to save money, and it was a great decision, especially when there's four of us. We stayed at the Citadines in London - right near Trafalgar Square, and within easy reach of everything. Booking process was easy and customer service excellent - well recommended.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Lots of misleading promises - My husband and I received a call from Royal Holidays inviting us to the Cancun resort to show us their vacation club offer. During the sales pitch we were offered "free" credits to use and two $500 certificates to use for the all inclusive fees. We were also offered the availability to come back to the Mexico resorts without using any credits for the first year. All of these offers were designed to get us to commit to membership. We did indeed sign the contract. Now I have been trying to use these offers. It has been difficult. They showed us this lovely suite which I was trying to book, however, we have to pay additional cash to get that room. The all inclusive fee on the website was $59 a night but when I tried to book it was $89. I could not book online because there was no option to use the "free" credits or $500 certificate. So I called and could not reach anyone who could assist.

Finally, a representative at the resort called. He clarified the offers. You cannot use the $500 certificates until half your entire contract is paid, that would be about 10 months into it. Fine print. We could not use the additional 60,000 credit certificate for the additional cash required for the suite. Again Fine Print. The sales team is highly trained to suck you into the commitment. They will promise you a lot of things without clearly showing you the Fine Print. It is quite annoying to have been promised services only to have Fine Print put extreme limits on the usage.

Well, I did book a stay for Jan 2019 at the Royal Holiday Caribe site. The same one that we purchased from. I did not book the suite for the additional price. I paid the all inclusive fee of $89 per night per person and did not have to use any credits for the room. I will update my reviews as time progresses. The site was beautiful, the white sand beach and pools great. The service was also great. The buffet food was very good, the specialty restaurants (seafood and steakhouse) were not very good and costs additional money.

While I am there in Jan, I will be sitting down to plan another trip using the "free" credits. I'm hoping that if I can talk to someone in person I can get a clear understanding of the "Fine Print" and actually be able to take advantage of the free stuff they promised. I expect it will take about a year to use up all the free credits and all inclusive certificates. Then it will be just the 30,000 credits we signed up for yearly.

I did make some calls to Royal Holiday to see what a cruise would cost. That was a shocker. Apparently, you have to pay the all inclusive fee on the cruise as well. I had never heard of that before. After searching online and comparing the actual cost that Royal Holiday was charging in points and all inclusive fees, it was about $1000 less than booking as we usually would. That $1000 is what we pay in maintenance fees per year +/- so it would actually be a wash.

It looks like the best bang for the buck is going to be the Mexico all inclusive resorts even with the all inclusive fees on top of the credit usage. We may get 2 weeks vacation out of it a year. It will probably cost us the $1000 yearly maintenance fee, another $2000 per year in the all inclusive fees plus our airfare which thank goodness was never promised. So for $3000 a year we can go for 2 weeks to an all inclusive on a beautiful beach. Not exactly what we were led to believe but we can work with it.

As for trying to get out of the contract, after reading reviews and others experiences, it looks like it would cost us just as much to fight it as it would for us to pay it. So we are stuck with it. We made a deal with Royal Holiday that would allow us to pay off the cost of the membership in 60 months, then it will just be the yearly maintenance. I'm not sure what will happen when we no longer wish to travel but I plan to ask that question in January when I arrive and I will have it put in writing when I get the answer. This membership may or may not be right for some people. I guess it depends on what you are looking for. I will update the review as time goes on.

Royal Holiday expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Royal Holiday Vacation Club offers memberships that let you travel to nearly 200 destinations in over 50 countries. It has over 100,000 members and has been in business since 1983. Royal Holiday Vacation Club is a subsidiary of Park Royal Hotels and Resorts.

• Destination choices: You can choose from a wide variety of destinations to visit as a Royal Holiday Vacation Club member. Options include Buenos Aires, London, Paris, the Poconos, Orlando, the Dominican Republic and hundreds more.

• Cruises: You can use your membership points to take a cruise. Cruise line options include Carnival, Princess Cruises, MSC Cruceros and Australis.

• Special deals: Royal Holiday Vacation Club has special discounts so you get more bang for your Royal Holiday points. You can visit the company’s website to see current special offers.

• Flexible: Unlike a timeshare, you can use your points at any destination at any time. You’re not locked into a particular location or schedule.

• Blog: Visit the company’s website to read several blogs. Royal Holiday has blogs for travel, destinations, news and jobs. The blogs offer helpful advice about traveling for everyone, not just for vacation club members.

• Best for: Royal Holiday Vacation Club is best for international travelers and frequent travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs