3.9/5 (261 ratings)

About PlatePass.com

PlatePass.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PlatePass.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PlatePass.com?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

I rented a car from Hertz through Uber. I rented it for 4 weeks. I returned the car and paid the rental fee. A week later they charged me $2942.38 from PlatePass. They said it was for tolls. I reported their mistake and they investigated my claim and concluded that the charges were from a malfunction and that I used my own EZ pass in N.Y. They told me I'd receive a full refund. I could use it since it's the end of the month and my mortgage is due.

3 weeks later and they say they have no record of me paying the fees, or that they were suppose to refund anything to me. Wait. Hold on. I have all the emails to prove your investigation and concluded Platepass owes me almost $3000 that they fraudulently charged me. An emailed from them signed by an employee and finally an email stating I should receive my refund in 5 days. Now almost a month and they claim to have no such documentation. Now it's get a lawyer and sue them. PS because I rent from Hertz for work I am now out of work until they return this money.

Original review: July 15, 2022

I got billed a few weeks after my rental with Hertz for a toll in California. We had rented in Utah but never even went to California. The customer service of plate pass is very limited with hours 9-5 eastern and they have no care to resolve your matter. It was only a $10 charge but this appears to happen all the time.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 29, 2022

I rented a Hertz car for ten days while in Lynbrook New York State. Used the car for ten days to drive locally around Hofstra University as my daughter was graduating. We only drove locally I will emphasise. Two weeks later I get a Hertz toll charge of $920. Hertz admitted my rental was not associated with these tolls but refused to help and told me to contact PlatePass. Platepass says there is nothing to indicate my rental didn't use these tolls, which were in New York City, New Jersey area. I've asked for photos of my rental using these tolls but have yet received no reply or evidence proving my rental used these tolls. It's fraud and criminal activity and Hertz and Platepass are doing nothing about it to seriously assist me.

My rental wasn't any nearer than 25 miles to these toll roads and Hertz and Platepass are deliberately hiding something to avoid giving me a refund. It's an impossibility the vehicle I rented used these tolls so either it's a glitch or the transponder was removed from my rental and used in another vehicle. The whole matter could be cleared up by looking at any of the 96 photos taken when the road toll was used as it will will show it isn't the same car that I rented. Hertz must know this and so does Platepass. Question is so what are they hiding?

Original review: March 29, 2022

Charging a $12 processing fee is ridiculous for a time toll charge. Why does the government allow such egregious practices in today’s day and age. Disgusting and unethical business practices of gouging unknowing customers and giving no alternate recourse. Does Hertz have a stake/investment in this service? If they do it is all the more heinous.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

I rented a vehicle and paid all tolls with my personal toll tag registered to my rental. ALL tolls were paid. PlatePass keeps randomly charging my card months after my rental ended. No invoice, no details - FRAUD.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I rented a few different cars through Hertz to drive for Lyft. If you don't have your own Fastrak (I am in the Bay Area) they have a company that will automatically charge you the toll crossings plus a 5.95 fee per day. (So if you cross the bridge 3 times in one day it's just the one 5.95 fee plus the toll crossings). Before booking the car, they have a sign on the hertz desk saying if you have your own fastrak just load the license plate number on your fastrak account and walla. Chatting with Plate-pass customer service, they will automatically bill you every time you go over the bridge and all you have to do is pull your own fastrak tolls and send to plate-pass. They will review and waive/refund the tolls plus admin fees. Great right?!?

My issue is simple. I have my own fastrak and sent in every toll crossing to Plate Pass. I had accumulated a lot of toll crossings and had not sent in any info to plate pass till very recently. They said none of my fastraks matched what they had. In example, my fastrak and ride with customer on lyft app shows me going over said bridge on March 17th @ 9:35 AM but plate pass has no record of me going over the bridge on March 17th @ 9:35 AM; they have March 18th @ 10:22 AM. That's really interesting to know since they supposedly get their billing information straight from the bridge imaging system. My theory is they forge the date and time in order to show your own fastrak doesn't match the info they have in order to double bill you.

My fault as I should have been paying attention to my fastrak and plate pass billing system. I would have stopped using their rental car service knowing this. In conclusion, I would advise anyone from using hertz, Dollar or Thrifty as all 3 companies are owned by hertz. I don't know the other rental companies but there are plenty of options out there. Just got to do your research. I neglected to do my own before getting into this mess.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I rented a car from Hertz and thought what a convenience it was to have a transponder. Nah, I'd rather pay the toll. Trying to pay PlatePass online is a waste of time. Their "Pay now" button doesn't work. It's 2019!!!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

PlatePass is convenient and obviously necessary since so many tolls are cashless. I don't mind paying the tolls but the add on service fees in this day and age are exorbitant. I don't mind paying a surcharge but when the toll is $1 and the service charge is $12, it's out of whack.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

It’s annoying Hertz enroll you in a service that marks Up the toll by around 75% without telling you. It’s more annoying when you are a foreign customer And have to spend hours on the phone trying to pay them because their website isn’t Compatible with safari, their self help options only work for American residents etc etc.

Never renting anywhere where PlatePass is contracted.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

Dollar Rental car from Logan Airport in Boston. Transponder rental per day $12.50 per day declined. 10 day rental. $6.90 in tolls. No problem as MA has a no cash system. Problem is a FIFTEEN DOLLAR per transaction "Administration Fee" which brings a $6.90 toll bill to $51.90! OUTRAGEOUS. It is not worth it to rent the transponder when you only know you will be going in and out of the airport and perhaps one more toll randomly however the "Administration Fee" is a racket and I will question it. One time fee for the rental may be tolerable however NOT per transaction. Hope that they do NOT qualify for BBB certification. This is a scam. Pity help international travelers who rent cars and then receive this charge automatically.

PlatePass.com Company Information