PlatePass.com

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Credit card was charged $70 for tolls I never even encountered. A lot of them were in different states than my travels. Finally got refunded, but if I did not pursue this It could have been easily overlooked. Total SCAM company.

At Thrifty Car Rental, Ft Lauderdale Airport we were told that toll charges could be up to $100 for our week visit to Florida and it was recommended by Thrifty that we purchase the PlatePass for $50 since many Florida Toll Roads DO NOT accept cash or credit cards. We felt stuck. Then quick thinking reminded us to call our friend who just moved to Florida to see if we should purchase the PlatePass for $50. She said absolutely not. But to buy a SunPass mini at the drugstore for $5.00 and load it with $10 (or whatever amount we thought we would need - we had no idea how much to load and to be safe (since there was a fee if we ran short) we loaded with $30.) It was easy as we had internet service at our hotel. We opened an account with SunPass and at the end of the trip we used $5 in toll fees and the balance was refunded by Sunpass to our credit card very promptly... Just remember to take the Sunpass mini off the windshield when you return the car.

So, my recommendation is not to purchase the PlatePass. It is an upcharge that is not needed. The Thrifty people were insistent that we needed it and we did not. It is unfair to not be given options and not to be told about the purchase of the SunPass at the drugstore. We could be given the option and let us decide... Maybe we would choose the PlatePass if we did not have time to stop and purchase the SunPass at the drugstore or didn't want the hassle/short on time. Just an fyi, we toured mainly around Ft Lauderdale, Miami, and up to Delray Beach... Could be different story if you travel more extensively.

I rented a car from Hertz and asked how tolls were handled when I picked up the car. I was told to "go through the toll booths and we'll charge your card for the toll". No mention of anything called PlatePass. After leaving the airport I went through 5 tolls on the airport toll road. Once at my destination I noticed the PlatePass sticker on the window, it was dark when I picked up the car so I didn't see it at that point. I then looked at my rental agreement and was shocked to see that by driving through a $2 toll I was now going to be charged $4.95 per day extra for my rental.

My biggest issue, however, was trying to get anyone to accept responsibility. Hertz referred me to PlatePass, who referred me to the toll authority, who referred me to Hertz, who referred me back to PlatePass. Hertz reps claimed "it has nothing to do with us, we can't help you". Really? Hertz is selling the product but aren't responsible? And Platepass said it was up to Hertz to tell me about the charges, so they also claimed no responsibility. So if no one's responsible then who gets the money? Eventually PlatePass reduced my fees to the one day that I used it, as a "one time courtesy". I expect that's their way of preventing a class-action lawsuit. I won't ever rent from Hertz again due to the horrible customer service and the PlatePass scam.

DO NOT USE PlatePass! I even recommend that you do not allow it in your rental car. The parent company ATS charged my credit card without my consent. I did not accept, authorize, or request their PlatePass service. As a matter of fact, I specifically told Hertz Rental Car that I did not want PlatePass. So, I drove through Chicago to Wisconsin, and paid the 6 or so tolls in cash both ways. A month later I receive a charge from PlatePass for the administrative fees for the length of my trip and three tolls it stated that I used PlatePass for. Now, why would I use it for 3 of the 12 tolls. Anyway, they will not refund me without showing proof of the cash I paid for toll (as if they give you a receipt going through tolls). ATS and their PlatePass service is pathetic and a fraud!!!

I was not aware that the inbound Sumner Tunnel returning to Logan from I-93 South now has a toll (they went active in October 2016). When I rented the car, I was told that "you no longer could pay cash for the outbound Callahan tunnel" so I went way out of my way to take Route 1A. I had not plotted my course in California and I arrived on Christmas morning so I ended up not taking the shortest route. I did not even have a good map of Massachusetts. I am telling you this because I thought that the tunnel going from I-93 back to the airport was toll free. I thus was shocked to find my credit card had been charged for the PlatePass and toll. I am now warning others since Hertz did not bother to tell me that I needed to avoid the toll returning to the airport too and let me waste about an hour of my time on Christmas morning.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PlatePass.com?

I've been a Hertz Gold member for 10 years. Hertz used to administer and charge you for tolls themselves. They got so much blowback from their customers that they outsourced it to this "AMERICAN TRAFFIC SOLUTIONS" company (my suspicion is that Hertz owns it). I rented a car from Hertz in Denver, returning one week ago. Today a charge hit my AMEX for $42.07. I had taken the E-470 toll road the first day of my 5-day trip, hitting two toll booths. They were $3.70 each. So that's $7.40. When I dug into the details on the Platepass website, I was able to see a list of the charges: the two valid $3.70 charges, a $24.75 administrative fee, and a phantom $9.92 toll fee. The two valid toll fees both list the locations (Plaza E and Plaza D). The phantom one does not. This is not only a scam, but apparently includes a little fraud as well.

Received an invoice for toll charges even though there was NO EZ-PASS IN MY HERTZ RENTAL, on a day that I was not travelling, and the company appears unable or unwilling to correct these false charges, despite receiving the documentation that they requested, and is also unwilling or unable to provide ME with any proof of what vehicle actually passed through the tolls. It has already been confirmed to me that these tolls were billed via an EZ-Pass transponder, and there was NO EZ-PASS TRANSPONDER IN THE VEHICLE at any time during my rental. I used my own EZ-Pass when I travelled to upstate NY, and I pointed out the missing transponder to the rental office when I returned the vehicle.

The EZ-Pass which is assigned to the rental I had, is obviously either in another rental or was taken. I have provided proof that I fueled locally on Long Island (Port Jefferson) on the day that the EZ-Pass transponder was billed for travel in Maryland, Delaware, etc, and included a copy of the credit card that I used to prove that it is in my name and in my possession, to no avail, which I really should not even have to do, as there was no EZ-Pass even in the vehicle!!! I continue to receive useless responses from idiots who are clearly not in a position to assist or really do anything helpful with having these charges removed.

The more I read about Hertz Rentals and Plate Pass/ATS Processing, the more I realize that this some sort of a scam for hitting consumers with fraudulent charges. If these charges are not removed I will be filing a formal complaint with BBB as well as my state's Attorney General's Office for fraudulent business practices.

Rented a car for 5 days from Hertz in July 2016. Purchased a Sunpass transponder just for this trip and used it throughout. Somehow five months later, someone decided I owe a $1 toll and "PlatePass LLC" is billing me for that $1 toll plus $24.75 in administrative fees. The fee is based on the total rental period, not the number of days a toll was charged, nor is it based on the amount of tolls. I have already cancelled my Hertz gold membership and asked them to delete all my records. Since there seems to be no way to opt out of "PlatePass" (I declined it on my contract), please vote with your wallet and opt out of Hertz. This is infuriating and an embarrassing way to treat visitors to Florida.

I used one toll, at a normal cost of $3.07, and they charged me $27.55! And of course there was no disclosure on renting the car that this would happen. I'm sure it's buried in the 10 pages of fine print but this is insane! What a scam!

I experienced PlatePass for the first time when renting a car out of Tampa, FL airport. The Hertz employee mentioned nothing about PlatePass!!! I avoided all toll roads, but apparently I was on a toll road twice, totaling under $6 in tolls. I received a bill after returning home for over $100!!! I called Hertz, spent hours talking with them, no one even referred me to PlatePass. Then, PlatePass referred me to a credit agency! I contacted PlatePass and threatened legal action, called them 3 days in a row before they finally dropped the charge.

1 year later we are vacationing in Texas. I asked about PlatePass when renting our vehicle, I said I didn't want any charges once I returned home. Hertz said I could pay the PlatePass fee up front, and I'd be all set. I paid the fee. Get this... 9 months later I am receiving another bill from PlatePass for a 1 time 50 cent Toll. Their bill is time is only $25.75!!! I am shocked! I too am finished renting from Hertz.

I rented a vehicle from Hertz from Oct 2nd - Oct 15th. I was in Tennessee + North Carolina the entire time. When I received my American Express bill I noticed a charge of $25.64 from Hertz/plate pass. I checked with plate pass and was told I had a toll road violation in Texas on Oct 11th. I was never in Texas. They told me I needed to submit proof I was not in Texas on the 11th. I sent them credit card charges in Tennessee on Oct 9th + Oct 12th. Also I sent hotel receipts which were in my girlfriend's name from Oct 7th-15th in Tennessee. They say my receipts do not prove I was not in Texas on the 11th and they will not reverse the charges. I asked them for proof that I was in Texas on the 11th but have not heard from them. I filed a complaint with American Express. I will never rent from Hertz again. What a scam.

I am a Hertz President's Circle member and it breaks my heart to know that Hertz did this to me. Rented a car in Dallas, went through the toll few times without realizing that I am in for big scam/rip-off. Several days later, my credit card company bill shows huge bills on PlatePass which was 4 times more than my actual rental charge. Called Hertz and they say it is part of the contract/agreement which says $4.95 per day for administrative charge. I was not told/I was not aware of these unethical charge. This is totally unacceptable. This is fraud. Hertz/PlatePass is using unscrupulous ways to make money from innocent consumers. I am going to put a hold on this charges and will go to court if needed.

This is the second time within 6 months I have rented a Hertz car with PlatePass and the second time I have been ripped off. The first time was for over $300 of erroneous charges and this time for $129. I will never rent another car that uses PlatePass. It took me a month and several calls to get my money back the first time. This time I disputed it on my credit card. Instead of PlatePass looking into the charges versus the transponder record of where the car really was, they just told the bank they all were valid charges. The bank first credited me and then re-debited my account for the money. I then had to call PlatePass. They said on bank disputes they don't look into anything, only when the person calls. They said they would contact me by e-mail within 48 hrs.

4 days later I call them and after being on the phone for a half hour they agreed the charges were indeed bogus but said they couldn't return the money until I sent them a copy of my bank statement showing that the bank had re-debited my account. I have complied and am now waiting for my money, one month after they took it from me. When is Hertz going to wake up and do away with PlatePass? I think such practices should be illegal and the consumer should have protection from such unscrupulous companies.

I'm a Hertz President's Circle member for 17 years. I was just ripped off (again) by PlatePass a week ago down in San Juan, PR. It's about the 5th or 6th time this has happened (getting ripped off by PlatePass with no help from Hertz). $29.95 for 4 tolls amounting to about $4. How many customers will Hertz allow to be screwed by PlatePass before they end this romance? PlatePass is an unscrupulous, devious, criminal organization that needs to be dealt with by the U.S. Federal Court system. Hertz needs to be made to pay restitution to thousands of customers who have been screwed by PlatePass. Hertz customer service is worthless and will not help you with PlatePass.

Been scammed by PlatePass and hertz. Rented a car, transponder was either cloned or stolen. Got screwed and ended up paying almost $400.00 dollars in tolls. Neither platepass or hertz gives two **. Will never rent from hertz again!!!

So I rented a Hertz car in Denver and the only way to head north is to take a toll road for a few miles. I was on this about 5 miles, getting off at the first exit, but not before passing under the automatic toll booth which reads your license plate. THERE IS NO WAY TO PAY CASH AT THE TOLL BOOTH. So I figure Colorado will figure out who I am and bill me. British Columbia, Canada did this. The toll was for $3.55. But actually Colorado bills Hertz who passes it on to PlatePass who then sends me a bill for $28.30, the difference being the fee for their "service". (I pre-paid for the car through Priceline, so they didn't have my credit card number.) They say it's all described in the rental agreement. What a scam. I'll pay the $3.55 but I'll go to court over the fee. These guys are nothing but Roman tax collectors.

I recently noticed a charge on my AMEX bill from a company I did not recognize. Upon investigating, I found it was PlatePass and the charges were for two tolls across the Ben Franklin Bridge in Philly at $5.00 each and a $24.75 administrative charge. I never went over the bridge in the five days I was in PA. When I contacted them via e-mail the response was "we found nothing to invalidate the charges". They did send me the information regarding the dates and times of the tolls. I was lucky that I had receipts from restaurants for both nights that proved I could not have been on the bridge to incur the tolls. After I sent an attachment to them with copies of the receipts, they indicated that they would have the charges to AMEX removed -- we will see.

However, there was no attempt at an explanation as to how these charges could have occurred nor was there any indication of an apology-- just a typical form e-mail. From what I have read, this kind of BS is not uncommon and they make it very difficult to have the charges reversed-- I was lucky to have found the receipts stuck in a side pocket of my camera bag. If you have no concrete proof-- you are screwed. I suspect there is a serious scam going on here and there are multiple entities involved. Some agency needs to get to the bottom of this.

I was charged $25.20 by PlatePass onto my credit card. I sent them an email asking for a copy of the picture of my plate and the Florida invoicing of the plate at the toll. There was a major problem because I was never in the state of Florida on the date they assess that I went through a toll. The car was parked in my driveway in Tennessee! This has to be an obvious fraud upon customers. I have written them back and told them that I have proof (receipts, etc) that I was not in the state of Florida on the night of the charge - I left for Florida the following day. No response from them. Hmmm...

Got a Prius from Hertz and traveled to Florida and back. Then got charged additionally later for using a Transponder that I was not aware was in the car. I call the local office and they told me that sometimes it is in the glove compartment. This is because I did not see any on the windshield. I went online and saw that I was charged for eight (8) tolls. The thing is that I was not anywhere near these places. Like Holland tunnel etc. I was on my way to FL. Cannot understand how they have the wrong transponder to the wrong car.

Terrible experience with Hertz Rental. I will NEVER rent from them again and am advising anyone I know who is renting a car to stay away from Hertz Rental. I was charged for 5 tolls on the Illinois Tollway from the time of 10:41 a.m. until 12:02 a.m. and I paid cash for all my tolls and had 2 witnesses in the car with me to vouch for my paying all the tolls in cash. Then to top it off Hertz charges a fee of $19.80 for a Administration Fee to process these bogus tolls. NEVER AGAIN HERTZ. I am forced to give them 1 ✭ to process this complaint or I would have not given them a ✭ at all.

$1.50 toll, which should be automatic using the transponder on the Hertz car, and they charge $30 administrative fee. This is a scam. Credit card companies should stand up to Hertz and tell them to discontinue this scam charge.

What a total SCAM! I was never told about this and it just showed up on my credit card. Top it off, the administrative fees are higher than the actual charge. I'll never use Hertz or any company that uses PlatePass again. Someone should investigate them for fraud.

I had a very bad experience with PlatePass Hertz Tolls today. I rented a Hertz car in Orlando, Florida on February 26 and paid cash of $1.50 for my toll charges while passing through a toll road. After 8 days, accidentally while searching for another transaction on my credit card account, I noticed a charge of $16.35 from Plate Pass Tolls made on March 5, 2016. On my inquiry I was told that "you were charged unpaid toll of $1.50 plus Administrative fee of $14.85 calculated @4.95/day for 3 days". Luckily, I had returned the car after 3 days on Feb 29, 2016, otherwise administrative charges continues to add up. It is a clear case of unfair, unethical, fraudulent business, which ask for an action lawsuit in millions of dollars against both Hertz and their partner PlatePass Tolls. Can some good lawyer help us all harassed customers from Hertz and other rental car company who use platepass tolls services for fraudulent charges?

I just thought you should know why, after 33 years of loyalty, I will no longer be renting from Hertz. And, it only cost them $1.50 to lose me! I recently rented a car at Orlando Airport location on 02/08/16. I was not informed at the time of rental that PlatePass would be part of the contract. And, since I use my own SunPass Transponder when traveling, I would not have seen this as a potential issue.

Well, it became an issue when I found a charge of $26.25 on my American Express Card. The $26.25 was for a $1.50 missed toll and a daily charge of around $4.95. So, I contacted Hertz and was transferred to PlatePass. PlatePass told me that I had neglected to pay a toll of $1.50 and the daily charge kicked in at that time even though no further charges were made using PlatePass during my week of rental. I knew my SunPass had been charged. It beeps when charged.

So, I inquired about how to resolve the charge and was told to send a copy of my SunPass toll payment to them. I followed their specific instructions and did this on 02/18/16. I received a reply that said the daily charge would be reversed, though it still has not been reversed but they would not reverse the toll charged. I then asked for a copy of the toll charge showing the date time and location of the toll charge that they would not reverse. They supplied the receipt and it showed a toll charge for passing through the Forest Lake location at 9:01:43 am on 02/08/16. I had previously provided a receipt of mine showing I had paid this same toll at the same location on 02/08/16 at 9:01:46 am., within 3 seconds of the time stamp on their receipt.

I am now on my third letter to PlatePass with the PROOF and same documentation and they tell me it will take another couple of days to research and resolve. How can Hertz work with a company like this that has no integrity? This is a scam and I would guess most renters just pay it rather than fight it. So, there are likely to be a lot of others in this same boat. That leads me to think this would be a great case for a class action law firm. I am also guessing Hertz makes money on this scam so they would be included in such a class action lawsuit. I have invested 2.6 hours of time that I will never get back. This should have been resolved with my first letter on 02/18/16 and it is now 02/29/16 and I am still working at a resolution. Thought you all should know.

Today I received a bill for $22.10. We were in San Francisco and on the 28th we drove across to see the Golden Gate bridge and now I received a bill for $22.10. I am upset why charge me administrative fee of $4.95 for 3 days. It is more than the toll. I think this very unfair to bill me for 3 days.

I checked my credit card after a trip to New Orleans. I noticed a bill for $59.46 from PlatePass. I had rented a car during my vacation but Louisiana has very few toll roads. I never went near any of them. I could not figure this one out. I called and they said my rental car had gone through toll booths in Maryland, Delaware and Pennsylvania. Strange since I picked the car up in New Orleans Airport and returned the car to New Orleans Airport and only put on 800 miles in a week. It is over 1,100 miles one way to Delaware even further to Pennsylvania. WHAT A SCAM. I guess they just charge someone's card hoping they don't check their charges.

DO NOT RENT FROM any COMPANY WHICH USES "PLATEPASS FOR TOLLS." I just signed up for consumeraffairs just to post this review. We rented online from EZ car Rental, yet when we got to rental desk, the sign said Advantage. First clue something not right. Rented for a week, and turned in the car without incident. Once we got home and reviewed our credit card statement, we noticed we were charged the amount we agreed to, about $200, but also found almost $400 additional fees from Advantage in "tolls." We never went through any tolls, just traveled north of Boston.

Multiple emails, calls to customer service, no reply. Finally went through American Express and they reached someone from "PlatePass," a company many car rental companies use to do the toll piece. Platepass told us we incurred tolls in Delaware and Maryland. We have never even been to Delaware or Maryland. After multiple additional phone calls, Platepass promised to credit the money back to our credit card. This is clearly a built in scam, they are counting on people to not have the time or the stomach to deal with this. This is highly unethical, possibly illegal. Renter beware.

Make sure you keep your hotel, food eatery, store, restaurant, gas, and toll receipts even if you don't use PlatePass. They told me they picked up charges for tolls from transponder in NYC and I was in Savannah,GA. Now how is that possible if vehicle rented in Georgia is over 950 miles away. I asked them to give me video of rental car going through the toll booths. They never answered and refunded my monies after I gave them proof where I was. Good thing I saved my receipts from my trip. I know from experience, had this same problem in May 2012. Looks like I had the last laugh.

Reading other reviews (AFTER WE RENTED), it all made sense. How the government lets this scam continue is mind blowing. We rented in San Francisco Airport from Hertz. The rental agent never told us anything about a transponder, tolls, etc. After we went many times through tolls on the various bridges, we "paid cash" every time except one. The Golden Gate Bridge coming back into San Fran, we went through the "cash" lane, to find out there was no attendant so we had to go through. We read our agreement, and called the appropriate numbers, Hertz, PlatePass, the toll company, and was told to report it to the Hertz desk at the airport when we returned. We did. We waited at the counter forever while a Hertz Agent supposedly called PlatePass who told us that they were only going to charge us $4.95.

Well when we got home, GUESS WHAT, we have a charge for $32.00 on our CC. We have made numerous calls to Hertz, PlatePass Tolls, etc., gotten major runaround, promised last time they'd refund $19.80, and as of today almost 1 month later, we still have that charge! Never, ever will we rent from Hertz again!!! I have attempted to once again call. Did get an agent who promised that "Oh, I am so sorry this wasn't taken care of by Emily. I am submitting the credit today!" Let's see of Delilah does as she says.

When you sign on the rental agreement, do pay attention to the details or else risk getting ripped off by advantage and Platepass... I was charged by platepass for all 5 days of the rental agreement even though the service was used on the last day..without my knowledge!!... Stay away from Advantage and platepass..

PlatePass.com Company Profile