Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.08/5

212 PlatePass.com Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 20, 2019

PlatePass is the company that the rental car companies use as a scapegoat to gouge customers for tolls. Avoid this issue by bringing your own EZ-Pass that you have for your personal car. Because if you go through a cashless toll then you will automatically be enrolled for PlatePass and by then it's too late. They already nabbed you and you'll need to call them up to complain and plead with them to reduce the fees. What an unreal business model.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Received bill on the mail after Hertz gave PlatePass my info (which they should not have done in the first place). Tried to pay via their website, but THEIR system does not recognize the very info they sent me in the bill (Hertz rental agreement, return date etc). Called phone number to try to pay, same result: their system does not recognize their info. So, the only option left is to send them payment via mail. Now, what guarantee do I have that a company this incompetent will not misplace my credit card number?

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I rented a car from Hertz and used my personal SunPass to pay tolls in Florida, and received a bill from PlatePass for my 1st toll out of MCO along with a 1 day service fee. THIS ISN'T THE FIRST TIME THIS HAPPENED!!! I guess most people just pay the $7.70 instead of wasting an hour on hold to fight it, but since this has happened to me multiple times, as well as, others I know, they definitely need to be investigated for this practice. Note - PlatePass will eventually reverse the charges, but only after you also contact SunPass and Hertz and provide proof of the time of the rental and SunPass rental vehicle activation. Hertz keeps blaming PlatePass and PlatePass says it's Hertz - PLEASE HELP!

Original review: March 25, 2019

I rented a car from Hertz to go to work while my car repaired. 1 week after returning car I get a bill PlatePass invoice. I was shocked because I drove local never left state. I called Hertz. They directed me to PlatePass who told me according to their toll records I was driving around NYC used for tolls!!! As upset as I was I figured they will look into their mistakes and fix. Instead I get email saying I'm responsible for these charges!!! Last time I was in NYC was 4 yrs ago! I was at work the whole time in CT. I'm going to report to BBB.

Original review: March 1, 2019

BUYER BEWARE: I’ve been a loyal Hertz Presidential Circle member for about 2 years now & I’ve noticed in the last 2 months (so a pattern is developing) that Hertz in partnership with PlatePass has been charging both my credit card & now my debit card with tolls for areas where I never drove through, or tolls I just never incurred. Whenever I rent any car, my first option is to avoid toll roads & if I can’t do this, then I make sure I pay my toll with a CASH attendant so I get a receipt ALL THE TIME, but as some of you may know, or may not some roads are strictly Cashless now which PlatePass seemingly is aware of.

If you google PlatePass complaints you shall see all the things they’re with Hertz are doing to their customers across this country & it’s just not right. Their business practice is to just take whatever charges out of your card account, at which point you’ve to contact PlatePass to dispute this, then as usual they waste your time, saying they shall review the case & contact you in a few days by email, perhaps refunding the money. The question I asked one of them (the Supervisor mentioned below) is why didn’t they do this before they charged my accounts, perhaps just as a courtesy for being a Loyal member? But no, it’s about getting into your pockets at whatever cost! At the local Hertz where you’d have rented a car, even if you speak to the manager there, they just give you the 800# for PlatePass so you’ve to get back your money yourself.

I just wasted time this afternoon talking to the Supervisor at the PlatePass # (877) 411- 4300 making my complaints about this form of thievery, & yesterday too I had to call the manager at the Maplewood Hertz in NJ & complain to him too: both said they’d pass it “onto their higher ups” which is code for they can’t do anything for you. Like I said you shall have to get your money pretty much on your own, & why is the benefit of the doubt in their favor, when you're the customer who honestly didn't incur that toll charge? Before these 2 calls again I had on different days wasted time calling PlatePass & talking with someone, then I did that weeks ago for charges which seemed to reappear this week. I'm now concerned for the rental car I returned a few days ago, PlatePass will charge me who knows what for tolls I paid in cash.

Perhaps they’re hoping none of you shall notice but like I started this BUYER BEWARE when renting with Hertz. I’ve never had any such problem with Enterprise who I’ve rented longer with, & don't be afraid to complain since probably the extent of the problem nationwide will remain hidden with loyal customers just taking this abuse quietly, & this they're probably counting on.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PlatePass.com?

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

All. Was just scammed by Hertz Plate Pass. They're charging me for Illinois Tollway tolls that were PAID via my IPASS on locations, dates and times on their invoices! These folks NEED to be taken to court. These are the BUMS who operate RED LIGHT cameras around the US. Chicago and Illinois THREW them OUT after years of shady dealings and fraud on drivers. Any lawyers out there? Class Action?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I picked up rental from Hertz at Boston Logan Airport and was charged 17.80 for toll charges on my credit cards. #1 I had no choice of paying this toll myself which would've been 1.50. I was not aware of the outrageous toll charges that these two vultures are ripping off people for. 5.90 plus a "CONVENIENCE FEE" of 11.90. That is abuse and something need to be done about it especially when they take it upon themselves to charge your credit card. Disgusting and very abusive!!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

This is my 4th time having to dispute Plate Pass charges. I call and complain to Hertz who always blames PlatePass but I sign a contract with Hertz. First PlatePass sent an invoice for tolls in Long Island. I rented in Rochester and stayed in Buffalo. I sent two dispute messages from their site which they did not respond to. I should have been able to reply to the invoice. Then they charged my card automatically. Meanwhile I have to prove that I was not on Long Island while they already have my money. They are going to drag out this dispute and see if I give up. But it's $150 in tolls. They will continue to abuse customers who didn't want their services until they end up in court.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I picked up a rental while my car was having insurance work done. I asked about the toll fees because I normally take a toll road to work. I was told that any toll charges would be billed to me after the car was returned and that I could pay them then or see about transferring them to my NTTA account. Over a month later I received the bill from PlatePass, has the charges and a $5.95 per day fee for "convenience". When I asked about transferring them to my toll account they told me I would have to contact NTTA to see if they would do that, the rep said this was a pause as if she already knew what was going to happen so I'm guessing this is the norm with these crappy service offered by Hertz.

Called NTTA and they told me the only way I could have paid the reduced rate and avoided the $5.95 per day fee is if I had contacted them the day I got the rental and added it to my account. When specifically asked about it at Hertz I was not told this was an option but when I called back to complain they said it was explained to me as an option. What a load of crap.

My company employees 20k people across the US and I work in a department that handles travel for our sales team and management. I received a list of the companies that do NOT use PlatePass and we are re-aligning our guidance to traveling employees not to use Hertz, Dollar, Advantage, Avis, etc and stick to Enterprise for rentals to avoid this scam.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

The same thing just happened to me from Hertz and PlatePass for 101 dollars there has to be something we all can do about this. Please help. I'm sitting here crying. I'm a single mom in school and I feel like I have been robbed by Hertz and PlatePass. I complained to Hertz and they said the charges are mine. I never went to New York or the other place on the invoice. I disputed them with my credit card company and they decided the invoice was correct and closed my dispute. Now I'm waiting to hear from PlatePass. I sent them documents of my whereabout, I was at the hospital work at the post office, etc. Someone please help.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Rented a car from Hertz which is partnered with PlatePass. Our rental was covered by insurance. PlatePass sent me a bill for $147.65 for tolls in NY, MA, NJ and NH. Neither my husband nor I, who were the only two people on the rental agreement, ever drove it out of our state of CT! My husband called the company and complained of the bogus charges. He got an email the next day about us having to send proof that we weren’t in these places on the stated dates. What a sleazy company. We will complain to Hertz and have filed a complaint with the BBB. We will see if it gets resolved. I will never again rent from Hertz because of this experience.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I rented a car from Hertz for a tournament. After I returned the vehicle, I was charged an extra fee onto my credit card and had no idea where it came from. However; the description was listed as “gas or tolls”. I contacted Hertz immediately because I returned the vehicle with more gas then I received and, I knew for sure that I didn’t go through any tolls. Hertz directed me to PlatePass for further inquiry since, they assured me it wasn't for gas which, was kind boggling to me since, again; I didn’t go through any tolls. In fact, I made sure to avoid tolls because I didn’t take the EZ pass from my car. I contacted PlatePass who asked me to submit a meal or gas receipt proving I was not in the area the tolls were recorded at. Please take into consideration, I had only filled up the gas tank once while near my home (because it was much cheaper) and packed lunch for my children and I for our hour journey.

I sent them the tournament schedule detailing where I was and asked if they could consider the mileage which would contradict a trip to NY (which did not occur). I was only an hour and 20 mins from my home all the while NY is about 2 hours and 15 mins from my home/Hertz rental. Since I didn’t have any gas or to receipts, because I didn’t get gas in Ocean Township where I was; the charge remained. Further, the initial customer service rep assured me sometimes prior renters take the PlatePass with them, as a mistake. I will never rent from Hertz again thanks to PlatePass because this was the worst experience ever!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Problem #1 - there is no way to opt out, even when I asked before signing paperwork with Hertz, I was billed. Problem #2 - there are multiple toll roads in California that are not covered by PlatePass so I got a ticket. Hertz's response was that I should have remembered the list and avoided those toll roads. Not realistic. Problem #3 - related to the above, I was charged a 78.75 cent ticket - $75.00 for the ticket and 3.75 for the toll I unwittingly didn't pay. Note there is no toll booth or person to ask "am I covered with PlatePass?" and the signs on the highway said "PlatePass." Problem #4 - Hertz wouldn't help me. I had to call PlatePass who made me write a letter explaining what happened and beg them to forgive the ticket. Ultimately they did but then get this... Problem #5 - Hertz charged me a $30 "getting a ticket" fee!! They would only refund that if I sent them a scan of the forgiven violation, which I did.

Problem #6 - these charges do NOT show up on your Hertz receipt. And they do not show up until months later by auto-billing your credit card on record. How is it legal for a 3rd party company to auto-bill your card for something? I travel for business and am reimbursed for my expenses. I had charges for the RENTAL in 2017 but the PlatePass charges did not show up until 2018. My company's accounting department is upset because an event in 2017 is being billed in a new fiscal year. Problem #7 - PlatePass's customer service reps are rude and curt. I spoke with many of them to get this resolved. Not one was kind or helpful. This is a scam and should be shut down, period.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I recently rented a vehicle from Hertz for a week in San Francisco. On the last day of my rental, I used the "speed and convenience" of PlatePass to avoid a wait on the cash-only toll lanes of the Bay Bridge. This speed/convenience cost me $29.75 -- $5.00 for a single toll, plus SEVEN DAYS OF ADMINISTRATIVE FEES @ $4.95/day. I have absolutely no issue with the cost of the toll, nor do I have a problem paying an administrative fee for the day I used the PlatePass service. However, I do have an issue with being charged daily administrative fees for the six additional days of my rental where no tolls were incurred. Looking at the number of online complaints posted by others, this scam has been going on for years. No doubt this scheme is quite lucrative for PlatePass (and perhaps for Hertz as well).

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I purchased Platepass at Dollar Rent a Car at LAX, specifically asking the agent if it would cover toll roads. He said the cost would be refunded if I didn't use it. Not only did I pay $11.99/day, I received 2 charges from the 91 Express and a $30 administrative fee from Dollar. What a ripoff!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

In 2013 I rented a Hertz car for about 12 days while on vacation in Florida. I paid all toll charges at the booth as they were incurred. About a month later approx. $27 in charges came thru on my card; some were other toll charges plus a daily "convenience fee." I called PlatePass who told me to call Hertz. Neither was helpful. I ended up disputing the amount with my credit union, who removed the charges. I will never rent from Hertz again; I'm surprised they would allow this type of sleazy company to scam their customers.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I rented a car from Hertz in May 2017 in Dallas/Ft Worth area. I was charged $34.08 on my corporate car (I was there for business) for the tolls I incurred while driving. 7 months later, I get an invoice from "PlatePass" saying I owed an additional $3.52! It's not the amount, it is the principle. They cannot explain where the extra charge came from. They said it was somehow "missed" when originally charged. She couldn't explain but was more than willing to take my credit card info. I paid it because I didn't want to mess with it but if there was a zero star, I'd give it. This has to be sketchy and a scam. How do you run a business like this? When I asked her what keeps them from charging me later down, she said that she couldn't guarantee that there would be additional charges billed to me! What?!! I will make a mental note of this and make sure I avoid "PlatePass" like the plague! They should be investigated!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I rented a car in NJ. Very easy to rent. I did not want to use the PlatePass, but was forced to when one day I rode over the Bayonne Bridge and the Verrazano Bridge. Both are cashless tolls. I assumed I would only be charged for the 1 day I used it and for the discounted E-Zpass rates. No, I was charged $4.95 for 4 days plus $17 for the Verrazano and $15 for the Bayonne bridges. Total $51.80. What a ripoff this is. When I complained to Hertz, they said I could have contacted both NY and NJ within 5 days to pay the toll. I will think twice about renting with Hertz again, even though I am a Gold member.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

My wife rented a car from Hertz for 6 days as part of an insurance claim. The car was only driven locally around Warwick NY and was never driven on any toll roads. The car was never driven into Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx or Staten Island. Several days after we returned the car I was charged $218 for tolls in and around New York City by PlatePass. I called PlatePass several times to correct the error to no avail. I provided PlatePass with receipts showing that we were in our town 45 miles north of NYC at the time the tolls occurred, still no answer.

I've called and written Hertz to see if they can do anything but so far I've been directed from one department to the next without finding anyone capable of correcting this error. Now I'm disputing the charges with my Credit card company and hopefully they can help. This has been very time consuming and I believe is a common error in favor of PlatePass. PlatePass should be investigated for fraudulent charges like these.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Total SCAM company. I rented a car 5-6 months ago for 10 days. Being a local I used my SunPass unaware there was a PlatePass on the car. I have multiple tolls and cannot get the companies SunPass and Toll Pass and Hertz together to correct my double paying. I did not want the PlatePass. If it doesn't get paid I will not be able to renew my DL. Total rip-off company. If I could give it 0 stars I would.

Original review: May 3, 2017

I'm surprised a company like PlatePass can be legal in this country and has not been sued left and right. This is the biggest SCAM I've ever come across. It's been 4 months since the return of my Hertz rental vehicle and I'm still receiving random charges to my credit card from these thieves. Customer Service is pretty much useless and can't even give a coherent response. Hertz, looks like you have lost yet another customer!

Original review: May 2, 2017

I understand a charge for the day even if you only use the tollway once, but charging you for EVERY day that you rented the car even if you went through ONE toll on the first day? That is ridiculous and complete thievery!! I will not be renting from them again.

Original review: March 23, 2017

Credit card was charged $70 for tolls I never even encountered. A lot of them were in different states than my travels. Finally got refunded, but if I did not pursue this It could have been easily overlooked. Total SCAM company.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

I rented a car from Hertz and asked how tolls were handled when I picked up the car. I was told to "go through the toll booths and we'll charge your card for the toll". No mention of anything called PlatePass. After leaving the airport I went through 5 tolls on the airport toll road. Once at my destination I noticed the PlatePass sticker on the window, it was dark when I picked up the car so I didn't see it at that point. I then looked at my rental agreement and was shocked to see that by driving through a $2 toll I was now going to be charged $4.95 per day extra for my rental.

My biggest issue, however, was trying to get anyone to accept responsibility. Hertz referred me to PlatePass, who referred me to the toll authority, who referred me to Hertz, who referred me back to PlatePass. Hertz reps claimed "it has nothing to do with us, we can't help you". Really? Hertz is selling the product but aren't responsible? And Platepass said it was up to Hertz to tell me about the charges, so they also claimed no responsibility. So if no one's responsible then who gets the money? Eventually PlatePass reduced my fees to the one day that I used it, as a "one time courtesy". I expect that's their way of preventing a class-action lawsuit. I won't ever rent from Hertz again due to the horrible customer service and the PlatePass scam.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2017

DO NOT USE PlatePass! I even recommend that you do not allow it in your rental car. The parent company ATS charged my credit card without my consent. I did not accept, authorize, or request their PlatePass service. As a matter of fact, I specifically told Hertz Rental Car that I did not want PlatePass. So, I drove through Chicago to Wisconsin, and paid the 6 or so tolls in cash both ways. A month later I receive a charge from PlatePass for the administrative fees for the length of my trip and three tolls it stated that I used PlatePass for. Now, why would I use it for 3 of the 12 tolls. Anyway, they will not refund me without showing proof of the cash I paid for toll (as if they give you a receipt going through tolls). ATS and their PlatePass service is pathetic and a fraud!!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

I was not aware that the inbound Sumner Tunnel returning to Logan from I-93 South now has a toll (they went active in October 2016). When I rented the car, I was told that "you no longer could pay cash for the outbound Callahan tunnel" so I went way out of my way to take Route 1A. I had not plotted my course in California and I arrived on Christmas morning so I ended up not taking the shortest route. I did not even have a good map of Massachusetts. I am telling you this because I thought that the tunnel going from I-93 back to the airport was toll free. I thus was shocked to find my credit card had been charged for the PlatePass and toll. I am now warning others since Hertz did not bother to tell me that I needed to avoid the toll returning to the airport too and let me waste about an hour of my time on Christmas morning.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2017

I've been a Hertz Gold member for 10 years. Hertz used to administer and charge you for tolls themselves. They got so much blowback from their customers that they outsourced it to this "AMERICAN TRAFFIC SOLUTIONS" company (my suspicion is that Hertz owns it). I rented a car from Hertz in Denver, returning one week ago. Today a charge hit my AMEX for $42.07. I had taken the E-470 toll road the first day of my 5-day trip, hitting two toll booths. They were $3.70 each. So that's $7.40. When I dug into the details on the Platepass website, I was able to see a list of the charges: the two valid $3.70 charges, a $24.75 administrative fee, and a phantom $9.92 toll fee. The two valid toll fees both list the locations (Plaza E and Plaza D). The phantom one does not. This is not only a scam, but apparently includes a little fraud as well.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

Received an invoice for toll charges even though there was NO EZ-PASS IN MY HERTZ RENTAL, on a day that I was not travelling, and the company appears unable or unwilling to correct these false charges, despite receiving the documentation that they requested, and is also unwilling or unable to provide ME with any proof of what vehicle actually passed through the tolls. It has already been confirmed to me that these tolls were billed via an EZ-Pass transponder, and there was NO EZ-PASS TRANSPONDER IN THE VEHICLE at any time during my rental. I used my own EZ-Pass when I travelled to upstate NY, and I pointed out the missing transponder to the rental office when I returned the vehicle.

The EZ-Pass which is assigned to the rental I had, is obviously either in another rental or was taken. I have provided proof that I fueled locally on Long Island (Port Jefferson) on the day that the EZ-Pass transponder was billed for travel in Maryland, Delaware, etc, and included a copy of the credit card that I used to prove that it is in my name and in my possession, to no avail, which I really should not even have to do, as there was no EZ-Pass even in the vehicle!!! I continue to receive useless responses from idiots who are clearly not in a position to assist or really do anything helpful with having these charges removed.

The more I read about Hertz Rentals and Plate Pass/ATS Processing, the more I realize that this some sort of a scam for hitting consumers with fraudulent charges. If these charges are not removed I will be filing a formal complaint with BBB as well as my state's Attorney General's Office for fraudulent business practices.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

Rented a car for 5 days from Hertz in July 2016. Purchased a Sunpass transponder just for this trip and used it throughout. Somehow five months later, someone decided I owe a $1 toll and "PlatePass LLC" is billing me for that $1 toll plus $24.75 in administrative fees. The fee is based on the total rental period, not the number of days a toll was charged, nor is it based on the amount of tolls. I have already cancelled my Hertz gold membership and asked them to delete all my records. Since there seems to be no way to opt out of "PlatePass" (I declined it on my contract), please vote with your wallet and opt out of Hertz. This is infuriating and an embarrassing way to treat visitors to Florida.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

I used one toll, at a normal cost of $3.07, and they charged me $27.55! And of course there was no disclosure on renting the car that this would happen. I'm sure it's buried in the 10 pages of fine print but this is insane! What a scam!

PlatePass.com Company Information