2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.07/5

PlatePass.com Reviews

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I rented a few different cars through Hertz to drive for Lyft. If you don't have your own Fastrak (I am in the Bay Area) they have a company that will automatically charge you the toll crossings plus a 5.95 fee per day. (So if you cross the bridge 3 times in one day it's just the one 5.95 fee plus the toll crossings). Before booking the car, they have a sign on the hertz desk saying if you have your own fastrak just load the license plate number on your fastrak account and walla. Chatting with Plate-pass customer service, they will automatically bill you every time you go over the bridge and all you have to do is pull your own fastrak tolls and send to plate-pass. They will review and waive/refund the tolls plus admin fees. Great right?!?

My issue is simple. I have my own fastrak and sent in every toll crossing to Plate Pass. I had accumulated a lot of toll crossings and had not sent in any info to plate pass till very recently. They said none of my fastraks matched what they had. In example, my fastrak and ride with customer on lyft app shows me going over said bridge on March 17th @ 9:35 AM but plate pass has no record of me going over the bridge on March 17th @ 9:35 AM; they have March 18th @ 10:22 AM. That's really interesting to know since they supposedly get their billing information straight from the bridge imaging system. My theory is they forge the date and time in order to show your own fastrak doesn't match the info they have in order to double bill you.

My fault as I should have been paying attention to my fastrak and plate pass billing system. I would have stopped using their rental car service knowing this. In conclusion, I would advise anyone from using hertz, Dollar or Thrifty as all 3 companies are owned by hertz. I don't know the other rental companies but there are plenty of options out there. Just got to do your research. I neglected to do my own before getting into this mess.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I rented a car from Hertz and thought what a convenience it was to have a transponder. Nah, I'd rather pay the toll. Trying to pay PlatePass online is a waste of time. Their "Pay now" button doesn't work. It's 2019!!!

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

PlatePass is convenient and obviously necessary since so many tolls are cashless. I don't mind paying the tolls but the add on service fees in this day and age are exorbitant. I don't mind paying a surcharge but when the toll is $1 and the service charge is $12, it's out of whack.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

It’s annoying Hertz enroll you in a service that marks Up the toll by around 75% without telling you. It’s more annoying when you are a foreign customer And have to spend hours on the phone trying to pay them because their website isn’t Compatible with safari, their self help options only work for American residents etc etc.

Never renting anywhere where PlatePass is contracted.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

Dollar Rental car from Logan Airport in Boston. Transponder rental per day $12.50 per day declined. 10 day rental. $6.90 in tolls. No problem as MA has a no cash system. Problem is a FIFTEEN DOLLAR per transaction "Administration Fee" which brings a $6.90 toll bill to $51.90! OUTRAGEOUS. It is not worth it to rent the transponder when you only know you will be going in and out of the airport and perhaps one more toll randomly however the "Administration Fee" is a racket and I will question it. One time fee for the rental may be tolerable however NOT per transaction. Hope that they do NOT qualify for BBB certification. This is a scam. Pity help international travelers who rent cars and then receive this charge automatically.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PlatePass.com?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

For $1.85 toll they will charge $5.95 for their fee. This company legally rips people off. They think they can continue with this but it's so simple to rent local people's vehicles at a much lower rate plus no hidden fees like this that will hurt your pocket. Because this is just one of 5 tolls I passed. Total toll charges were $5.75. PlatePass charged me $17.85 thats a whooping $23.60!!! thanks but not getting me again EVER!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I've been a long time Hertz rental customer and sadly the PlatePass program is going to force me to switch to another rental car company. I've already had at least 3 different disputes on toll-charge for rentals even though the tolls were paid cash. I was able to provide evidence. However, the company can care less. I refused to pay one of the said tolls and the charge went to collections. This is a horrid service in which Hertz will pay with loss of customers. Do yourself a favor and find another rental company that does not use PlatePass. Just an example, I rented from Hertz recently, paid a $1.05 toll with CASH and PlatePass billed me $1.05 plus $14.75 "convenience fee". That's like a 1000% markup! I have the receipt and can fight it but don't have time for the nonsense. I give up on Hertz.

Original review: July 23, 2019

April 22 2019 I became a driver for LYFT and used one of their cars because I do not own a car right now. Just finished battling cancer for the second time and need a job badly. I signed up and started working. After about 1.5 months I received a bill from a company called PlatePass, I did not know who they were. SO called them and they said the car I used to drive LYFT is a Hertz Car and I said yes. They said PlatePass was the company that pays for me when I cross a bridge here in Northern CA. I said, "No I do not own a car right now." But I use to and I have a FASTRAK account and every time I have taken passengers over a bridge I held up my FASTRAK responder and I heard the beep that it was accepted. Then FasTrak kept sending me emails stating I need to add more money onto my account and I did (about $200.00) which I could not afford but needed in order to do the job.

I called FasTrak - they pulled my record and somehow the transactions they had did not match the transactions PlatePass had??? The funny thing is after driving for Lyft all day I do not use the car for my personal use... too tired. Yet I get a bill from PlatePass $264.00 and another for $119.00 which I cannot afford to pay. I went to the LYFT office at 2500 Arden Way in Sacramento CA (which is where I trained to drive LYFT and got the car). Hertz and Lyft employees do not seem to talk to each other. When I asked Lyft why didn't someone tell me about PlatePass they stated, "You have to ask Hertz," which the Hertz counter is right next to the LYFT counter. I asked Hertz but no one could tell me anything because if I had known that PlatePass was going to charge me it would make no sense in driving for LYFT.

The rental of the car is $245.00 per week, you have to make 20 rides and then and only then after that money is made you can make your money. I never made more than $290.00 one week. I no longer drive for them because I am not paying PlatePass and am waiting for FasTrak to figure out what the hell is going on. LYFT is also pretty scamish as well. While training you they never mention PlatePass or anything and I recently sat in on a new class of drivers when I was returning their car to see if they mention that to them as well and THEY DID NOT. I will turn this over to an attorney very soon.

Original review: June 20, 2019

PlatePass is the company that the rental car companies use as a scapegoat to gouge customers for tolls. Avoid this issue by bringing your own EZ-Pass that you have for your personal car. Because if you go through a cashless toll then you will automatically be enrolled for PlatePass and by then it's too late. They already nabbed you and you'll need to call them up to complain and plead with them to reduce the fees. What an unreal business model.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Received bill on the mail after Hertz gave PlatePass my info (which they should not have done in the first place). Tried to pay via their website, but THEIR system does not recognize the very info they sent me in the bill (Hertz rental agreement, return date etc). Called phone number to try to pay, same result: their system does not recognize their info. So, the only option left is to send them payment via mail. Now, what guarantee do I have that a company this incompetent will not misplace my credit card number?

PlatePass.com Company Information