PlatePass.com

PlatePass.com Reviews

Stars Rating

• 100%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PlatePass.com?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PlatePass.com?

Reviewed Nov. 30, 2018

I picked up a rental while my car was having insurance work done. I asked about the toll fees because I normally take a toll road to work. I was told that any toll charges would be billed to me after the car was returned and that I could pay them then or see about transferring them to my NTTA account. Over a month later I received the bill from PlatePass, has the charges and a $5.95 per day fee for "convenience". When I asked about transferring them to my toll account they told me I would have to contact NTTA to see if they would do that, the rep said this was a pause as if she already knew what was going to happen so I'm guessing this is the norm with these crappy service offered by Hertz.

Called NTTA and they told me the only way I could have paid the reduced rate and avoided the $5.95 per day fee is if I had contacted them the day I got the rental and added it to my account. When specifically asked about it at Hertz I was not told this was an option but when I called back to complain they said it was explained to me as an option. What a load of crap.

My company employees 20k people across the US and I work in a department that handles travel for our sales team and management. I received a list of the companies that do NOT use PlatePass and we are re-aligning our guidance to traveling employees not to use Hertz, Dollar, Advantage, Avis, etc and stick to Enterprise for rentals to avoid this scam.

Reviewed Nov. 8, 2018

The same thing just happened to me from Hertz and PlatePass for 101 dollars there has to be something we all can do about this. Please help. I'm sitting here crying. I'm a single mom in school and I feel like I have been robbed by Hertz and PlatePass. I complained to Hertz and they said the charges are mine. I never went to New York or the other place on the invoice. I disputed them with my credit card company and they decided the invoice was correct and closed my dispute. Now I'm waiting to hear from PlatePass. I sent them documents of my whereabout, I was at the hospital work at the post office, etc. Someone please help.

Customer ServiceContract & TermsCoverage

Reviewed Nov. 1, 2018

Rented a car from Hertz which is partnered with PlatePass. Our rental was covered by insurance. PlatePass sent me a bill for $147.65 for tolls in NY, MA, NJ and NH. Neither my husband nor I, who were the only two people on the rental agreement, ever drove it out of our state of CT! My husband called the company and complained of the bogus charges. He got an email the next day about us having to send proof that we weren’t in these places on the stated dates. What a sleazy company. We will complain to Hertz and have filed a complaint with the BBB. We will see if it gets resolved. I will never again rent from Hertz because of this experience.

Reviewed July 5, 2018

I rented a car from Hertz for a tournament. After I returned the vehicle, I was charged an extra fee onto my credit card and had no idea where it came from. However; the description was listed as “gas or tolls”. I contacted Hertz immediately because I returned the vehicle with more gas then I received and, I knew for sure that I didn’t go through any tolls. Hertz directed me to PlatePass for further inquiry since, they assured me it wasn't for gas which, was kind boggling to me since, again; I didn’t go through any tolls. In fact, I made sure to avoid tolls because I didn’t take the EZ pass from my car. I contacted PlatePass who asked me to submit a meal or gas receipt proving I was not in the area the tolls were recorded at. Please take into consideration, I had only filled up the gas tank once while near my home (because it was much cheaper) and packed lunch for my children and I for our hour journey.

I sent them the tournament schedule detailing where I was and asked if they could consider the mileage which would contradict a trip to NY (which did not occur). I was only an hour and 20 mins from my home all the while NY is about 2 hours and 15 mins from my home/Hertz rental. Since I didn’t have any gas or to receipts, because I didn’t get gas in Ocean Township where I was; the charge remained. Further, the initial customer service rep assured me sometimes prior renters take the PlatePass with them, as a mistake. I will never rent from Hertz again thanks to PlatePass because this was the worst experience ever!

Customer ServiceCoverageSales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed Feb. 28, 2018

Problem #1 - there is no way to opt out, even when I asked before signing paperwork with Hertz, I was billed. Problem #2 - there are multiple toll roads in California that are not covered by PlatePass so I got a ticket. Hertz's response was that I should have remembered the list and avoided those toll roads. Not realistic. Problem #3 - related to the above, I was charged a 78.75 cent ticket - $75.00 for the ticket and 3.75 for the toll I unwittingly didn't pay. Note there is no toll booth or person to ask "am I covered with PlatePass?" and the signs on the highway said "PlatePass." Problem #4 - Hertz wouldn't help me. I had to call PlatePass who made me write a letter explaining what happened and beg them to forgive the ticket. Ultimately they did but then get this... Problem #5 - Hertz charged me a $30 "getting a ticket" fee!! They would only refund that if I sent them a scan of the forgiven violation, which I did.

Problem #6 - these charges do NOT show up on your Hertz receipt. And they do not show up until months later by auto-billing your credit card on record. How is it legal for a 3rd party company to auto-bill your card for something? I travel for business and am reimbursed for my expenses. I had charges for the RENTAL in 2017 but the PlatePass charges did not show up until 2018. My company's accounting department is upset because an event in 2017 is being billed in a new fiscal year. Problem #7 - PlatePass's customer service reps are rude and curt. I spoke with many of them to get this resolved. Not one was kind or helpful. This is a scam and should be shut down, period.

Reviewed Feb. 16, 2018

I recently rented a vehicle from Hertz for a week in San Francisco. On the last day of my rental, I used the "speed and convenience" of PlatePass to avoid a wait on the cash-only toll lanes of the Bay Bridge. This speed/convenience cost me $29.75 -- $5.00 for a single toll, plus SEVEN DAYS OF ADMINISTRATIVE FEES @ $4.95/day. I have absolutely no issue with the cost of the toll, nor do I have a problem paying an administrative fee for the day I used the PlatePass service. However, I do have an issue with being charged daily administrative fees for the six additional days of my rental where no tolls were incurred. Looking at the number of online complaints posted by others, this scam has been going on for years. No doubt this scheme is quite lucrative for PlatePass (and perhaps for Hertz as well).

Reviewed Feb. 8, 2018

I purchased Platepass at Dollar Rent a Car at LAX, specifically asking the agent if it would cover toll roads. He said the cost would be refunded if I didn't use it. Not only did I pay $11.99/day, I received 2 charges from the 91 Express and a $30 administrative fee from Dollar. What a ripoff!

Sales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed Jan. 11, 2018

In 2013 I rented a Hertz car for about 12 days while on vacation in Florida. I paid all toll charges at the booth as they were incurred. About a month later approx. $27 in charges came thru on my card; some were other toll charges plus a daily "convenience fee." I called PlatePass who told me to call Hertz. Neither was helpful. I ended up disputing the amount with my credit union, who removed the charges. I will never rent from Hertz again; I'm surprised they would allow this type of sleazy company to scam their customers.

Reviewed Jan. 3, 2018

I rented a car from Hertz in May 2017 in Dallas/Ft Worth area. I was charged $34.08 on my corporate car (I was there for business) for the tolls I incurred while driving. 7 months later, I get an invoice from "PlatePass" saying I owed an additional $3.52! It's not the amount, it is the principle. They cannot explain where the extra charge came from. They said it was somehow "missed" when originally charged. She couldn't explain but was more than willing to take my credit card info. I paid it because I didn't want to mess with it but if there was a zero star, I'd give it. This has to be sketchy and a scam. How do you run a business like this? When I asked her what keeps them from charging me later down, she said that she couldn't guarantee that there would be additional charges billed to me! What?!! I will make a mental note of this and make sure I avoid "PlatePass" like the plague! They should be investigated!

Reviewed Dec. 15, 2017

I rented a car in NJ. Very easy to rent. I did not want to use the PlatePass, but was forced to when one day I rode over the Bayonne Bridge and the Verrazano Bridge. Both are cashless tolls. I assumed I would only be charged for the 1 day I used it and for the discounted E-Zpass rates. No, I was charged $4.95 for 4 days plus $17 for the Verrazano and $15 for the Bayonne bridges. Total $51.80. What a ripoff this is. When I complained to Hertz, they said I could have contacted both NY and NJ within 5 days to pay the toll. I will think twice about renting with Hertz again, even though I am a Gold member.

Reviewed Nov. 8, 2017

My wife rented a car from Hertz for 6 days as part of an insurance claim. The car was only driven locally around Warwick NY and was never driven on any toll roads. The car was never driven into Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx or Staten Island. Several days after we returned the car I was charged $218 for tolls in and around New York City by PlatePass. I called PlatePass several times to correct the error to no avail. I provided PlatePass with receipts showing that we were in our town 45 miles north of NYC at the time the tolls occurred, still no answer.

I've called and written Hertz to see if they can do anything but so far I've been directed from one department to the next without finding anyone capable of correcting this error. Now I'm disputing the charges with my Credit card company and hopefully they can help. This has been very time consuming and I believe is a common error in favor of PlatePass. PlatePass should be investigated for fraudulent charges like these.

Reviewed Oct. 20, 2017

Total SCAM company. I rented a car 5-6 months ago for 10 days. Being a local I used my SunPass unaware there was a PlatePass on the car. I have multiple tolls and cannot get the companies SunPass and Toll Pass and Hertz together to correct my double paying. I did not want the PlatePass. If it doesn't get paid I will not be able to renew my DL. Total rip-off company. If I could give it 0 stars I would.

Reviewed May 3, 2017

I'm surprised a company like PlatePass can be legal in this country and has not been sued left and right. This is the biggest SCAM I've ever come across. It's been 4 months since the return of my Hertz rental vehicle and I'm still receiving random charges to my credit card from these thieves. Customer Service is pretty much useless and can't even give a coherent response. Hertz, looks like you have lost yet another customer!

Reviewed May 2, 2017

I understand a charge for the day even if you only use the tollway once, but charging you for EVERY day that you rented the car even if you went through ONE toll on the first day? That is ridiculous and complete thievery!! I will not be renting from them again.

Reviewed March 23, 2017

Credit card was charged $70 for tolls I never even encountered. A lot of them were in different states than my travels. Finally got refunded, but if I did not pursue this It could have been easily overlooked. Total SCAM company.

Customer ServiceContract & TermsSales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed Feb. 21, 2017

I rented a car from Hertz and asked how tolls were handled when I picked up the car. I was told to "go through the toll booths and we'll charge your card for the toll". No mention of anything called PlatePass. After leaving the airport I went through 5 tolls on the airport toll road. Once at my destination I noticed the PlatePass sticker on the window, it was dark when I picked up the car so I didn't see it at that point. I then looked at my rental agreement and was shocked to see that by driving through a $2 toll I was now going to be charged $4.95 per day extra for my rental.

My biggest issue, however, was trying to get anyone to accept responsibility. Hertz referred me to PlatePass, who referred me to the toll authority, who referred me to Hertz, who referred me back to PlatePass. Hertz reps claimed "it has nothing to do with us, we can't help you". Really? Hertz is selling the product but aren't responsible? And Platepass said it was up to Hertz to tell me about the charges, so they also claimed no responsibility. So if no one's responsible then who gets the money? Eventually PlatePass reduced my fees to the one day that I used it, as a "one time courtesy". I expect that's their way of preventing a class-action lawsuit. I won't ever rent from Hertz again due to the horrible customer service and the PlatePass scam.

Reviewed Feb. 5, 2017

DO NOT USE PlatePass! I even recommend that you do not allow it in your rental car. The parent company ATS charged my credit card without my consent. I did not accept, authorize, or request their PlatePass service. As a matter of fact, I specifically told Hertz Rental Car that I did not want PlatePass. So, I drove through Chicago to Wisconsin, and paid the 6 or so tolls in cash both ways. A month later I receive a charge from PlatePass for the administrative fees for the length of my trip and three tolls it stated that I used PlatePass for. Now, why would I use it for 3 of the 12 tolls. Anyway, they will not refund me without showing proof of the cash I paid for toll (as if they give you a receipt going through tolls). ATS and their PlatePass service is pathetic and a fraud!!!

Reviewed Jan. 31, 2017

I was not aware that the inbound Sumner Tunnel returning to Logan from I-93 South now has a toll (they went active in October 2016). When I rented the car, I was told that "you no longer could pay cash for the outbound Callahan tunnel" so I went way out of my way to take Route 1A. I had not plotted my course in California and I arrived on Christmas morning so I ended up not taking the shortest route. I did not even have a good map of Massachusetts. I am telling you this because I thought that the tunnel going from I-93 back to the airport was toll free. I thus was shocked to find my credit card had been charged for the PlatePass and toll. I am now warning others since Hertz did not bother to tell me that I needed to avoid the toll returning to the airport too and let me waste about an hour of my time on Christmas morning.

Reviewed Jan. 29, 2017

I've been a Hertz Gold member for 10 years. Hertz used to administer and charge you for tolls themselves. They got so much blowback from their customers that they outsourced it to this "AMERICAN TRAFFIC SOLUTIONS" company (my suspicion is that Hertz owns it). I rented a car from Hertz in Denver, returning one week ago. Today a charge hit my AMEX for $42.07. I had taken the E-470 toll road the first day of my 5-day trip, hitting two toll booths. They were $3.70 each. So that's $7.40. When I dug into the details on the Platepass website, I was able to see a list of the charges: the two valid $3.70 charges, a $24.75 administrative fee, and a phantom $9.92 toll fee. The two valid toll fees both list the locations (Plaza E and Plaza D). The phantom one does not. This is not only a scam, but apparently includes a little fraud as well.

Reviewed Jan. 18, 2017

Received an invoice for toll charges even though there was NO EZ-PASS IN MY HERTZ RENTAL, on a day that I was not travelling, and the company appears unable or unwilling to correct these false charges, despite receiving the documentation that they requested, and is also unwilling or unable to provide ME with any proof of what vehicle actually passed through the tolls. It has already been confirmed to me that these tolls were billed via an EZ-Pass transponder, and there was NO EZ-PASS TRANSPONDER IN THE VEHICLE at any time during my rental. I used my own EZ-Pass when I travelled to upstate NY, and I pointed out the missing transponder to the rental office when I returned the vehicle.

The EZ-Pass which is assigned to the rental I had, is obviously either in another rental or was taken. I have provided proof that I fueled locally on Long Island (Port Jefferson) on the day that the EZ-Pass transponder was billed for travel in Maryland, Delaware, etc, and included a copy of the credit card that I used to prove that it is in my name and in my possession, to no avail, which I really should not even have to do, as there was no EZ-Pass even in the vehicle!!! I continue to receive useless responses from idiots who are clearly not in a position to assist or really do anything helpful with having these charges removed.

The more I read about Hertz Rentals and Plate Pass/ATS Processing, the more I realize that this some sort of a scam for hitting consumers with fraudulent charges. If these charges are not removed I will be filing a formal complaint with BBB as well as my state's Attorney General's Office for fraudulent business practices.

Contract & Terms

Reviewed Jan. 3, 2017

Rented a car for 5 days from Hertz in July 2016. Purchased a Sunpass transponder just for this trip and used it throughout. Somehow five months later, someone decided I owe a $1 toll and "PlatePass LLC" is billing me for that $1 toll plus $24.75 in administrative fees. The fee is based on the total rental period, not the number of days a toll was charged, nor is it based on the amount of tolls. I have already cancelled my Hertz gold membership and asked them to delete all my records. Since there seems to be no way to opt out of "PlatePass" (I declined it on my contract), please vote with your wallet and opt out of Hertz. This is infuriating and an embarrassing way to treat visitors to Florida.

Reviewed Dec. 29, 2016

I used one toll, at a normal cost of $3.07, and they charged me $27.55! And of course there was no disclosure on renting the car that this would happen. I'm sure it's buried in the 10 pages of fine print but this is insane! What a scam!

Reviewed Dec. 22, 2016

I experienced PlatePass for the first time when renting a car out of Tampa, FL airport. The Hertz employee mentioned nothing about PlatePass!!! I avoided all toll roads, but apparently I was on a toll road twice, totaling under $6 in tolls. I received a bill after returning home for over $100!!! I called Hertz, spent hours talking with them, no one even referred me to PlatePass. Then, PlatePass referred me to a credit agency! I contacted PlatePass and threatened legal action, called them 3 days in a row before they finally dropped the charge.

1 year later we are vacationing in Texas. I asked about PlatePass when renting our vehicle, I said I didn't want any charges once I returned home. Hertz said I could pay the PlatePass fee up front, and I'd be all set. I paid the fee. Get this... 9 months later I am receiving another bill from PlatePass for a 1 time 50 cent Toll. Their bill is time is only $25.75!!! I am shocked! I too am finished renting from Hertz.

Reviewed Nov. 6, 2016

I rented a vehicle from Hertz from Oct 2nd - Oct 15th. I was in Tennessee + North Carolina the entire time. When I received my American Express bill I noticed a charge of $25.64 from Hertz/plate pass. I checked with plate pass and was told I had a toll road violation in Texas on Oct 11th. I was never in Texas. They told me I needed to submit proof I was not in Texas on the 11th. I sent them credit card charges in Tennessee on Oct 9th + Oct 12th. Also I sent hotel receipts which were in my girlfriend's name from Oct 7th-15th in Tennessee. They say my receipts do not prove I was not in Texas on the 11th and they will not reverse the charges. I asked them for proof that I was in Texas on the 11th but have not heard from them. I filed a complaint with American Express. I will never rent from Hertz again. What a scam.

Reviewed Oct. 21, 2016

I am a Hertz President's Circle member and it breaks my heart to know that Hertz did this to me. Rented a car in Dallas, went through the toll few times without realizing that I am in for big scam/rip-off. Several days later, my credit card company bill shows huge bills on PlatePass which was 4 times more than my actual rental charge. Called Hertz and they say it is part of the contract/agreement which says $4.95 per day for administrative charge. I was not told/I was not aware of these unethical charge. This is totally unacceptable. This is fraud. Hertz/PlatePass is using unscrupulous ways to make money from innocent consumers. I am going to put a hold on this charges and will go to court if needed.

Reviewed Aug. 26, 2016

This is the second time within 6 months I have rented a Hertz car with PlatePass and the second time I have been ripped off. The first time was for over $300 of erroneous charges and this time for $129. I will never rent another car that uses PlatePass. It took me a month and several calls to get my money back the first time. This time I disputed it on my credit card. Instead of PlatePass looking into the charges versus the transponder record of where the car really was, they just told the bank they all were valid charges. The bank first credited me and then re-debited my account for the money. I then had to call PlatePass. They said on bank disputes they don't look into anything, only when the person calls. They said they would contact me by e-mail within 48 hrs.

4 days later I call them and after being on the phone for a half hour they agreed the charges were indeed bogus but said they couldn't return the money until I sent them a copy of my bank statement showing that the bank had re-debited my account. I have complied and am now waiting for my money, one month after they took it from me. When is Hertz going to wake up and do away with PlatePass? I think such practices should be illegal and the consumer should have protection from such unscrupulous companies.

Reviewed Aug. 15, 2016

I'm a Hertz President's Circle member for 17 years. I was just ripped off (again) by PlatePass a week ago down in San Juan, PR. It's about the 5th or 6th time this has happened (getting ripped off by PlatePass with no help from Hertz). $29.95 for 4 tolls amounting to about $4. How many customers will Hertz allow to be screwed by PlatePass before they end this romance? PlatePass is an unscrupulous, devious, criminal organization that needs to be dealt with by the U.S. Federal Court system. Hertz needs to be made to pay restitution to thousands of customers who have been screwed by PlatePass. Hertz customer service is worthless and will not help you with PlatePass.

Reviewed July 14, 2016

Been scammed by PlatePass and hertz. Rented a car, transponder was either cloned or stolen. Got screwed and ended up paying almost $400.00 dollars in tolls. Neither platepass or hertz gives two **. Will never rent from hertz again!!!

Reviewed July 13, 2016

So I rented a Hertz car in Denver and the only way to head north is to take a toll road for a few miles. I was on this about 5 miles, getting off at the first exit, but not before passing under the automatic toll booth which reads your license plate. THERE IS NO WAY TO PAY CASH AT THE TOLL BOOTH. So I figure Colorado will figure out who I am and bill me. British Columbia, Canada did this. The toll was for $3.55. But actually Colorado bills Hertz who passes it on to PlatePass who then sends me a bill for $28.30, the difference being the fee for their "service". (I pre-paid for the car through Priceline, so they didn't have my credit card number.) They say it's all described in the rental agreement. What a scam. I'll pay the $3.55 but I'll go to court over the fee. These guys are nothing but Roman tax collectors.

Reviewed June 24, 2016

I recently noticed a charge on my AMEX bill from a company I did not recognize. Upon investigating, I found it was PlatePass and the charges were for two tolls across the Ben Franklin Bridge in Philly at $5.00 each and a $24.75 administrative charge. I never went over the bridge in the five days I was in PA. When I contacted them via e-mail the response was "we found nothing to invalidate the charges". They did send me the information regarding the dates and times of the tolls. I was lucky that I had receipts from restaurants for both nights that proved I could not have been on the bridge to incur the tolls. After I sent an attachment to them with copies of the receipts, they indicated that they would have the charges to AMEX removed -- we will see.

However, there was no attempt at an explanation as to how these charges could have occurred nor was there any indication of an apology-- just a typical form e-mail. From what I have read, this kind of BS is not uncommon and they make it very difficult to have the charges reversed-- I was lucky to have found the receipts stuck in a side pocket of my camera bag. If you have no concrete proof-- you are screwed. I suspect there is a serious scam going on here and there are multiple entities involved. Some agency needs to get to the bottom of this.

Reviewed June 9, 2016

I was charged $25.20 by PlatePass onto my credit card. I sent them an email asking for a copy of the picture of my plate and the Florida invoicing of the plate at the toll. There was a major problem because I was never in the state of Florida on the date they assess that I went through a toll. The car was parked in my driveway in Tennessee! This has to be an obvious fraud upon customers. I have written them back and told them that I have proof (receipts, etc) that I was not in the state of Florida on the night of the charge - I left for Florida the following day. No response from them. Hmmm...

Reviewed May 12, 2016

Got a Prius from Hertz and traveled to Florida and back. Then got charged additionally later for using a Transponder that I was not aware was in the car. I call the local office and they told me that sometimes it is in the glove compartment. This is because I did not see any on the windshield. I went online and saw that I was charged for eight (8) tolls. The thing is that I was not anywhere near these places. Like Holland tunnel etc. I was on my way to FL. Cannot understand how they have the wrong transponder to the wrong car.

Reviewed May 9, 2016

Terrible experience with Hertz Rental. I will NEVER rent from them again and am advising anyone I know who is renting a car to stay away from Hertz Rental. I was charged for 5 tolls on the Illinois Tollway from the time of 10:41 a.m. until 12:02 a.m. and I paid cash for all my tolls and had 2 witnesses in the car with me to vouch for my paying all the tolls in cash. Then to top it off Hertz charges a fee of $19.80 for a Administration Fee to process these bogus tolls. NEVER AGAIN HERTZ. I am forced to give them 1 ✭ to process this complaint or I would have not given them a ✭ at all.

Reviewed April 21, 2016

$1.50 toll, which should be automatic using the transponder on the Hertz car, and they charge $30 administrative fee. This is a scam. Credit card companies should stand up to Hertz and tell them to discontinue this scam charge.

Reviewed March 31, 2016

What a total SCAM! I was never told about this and it just showed up on my credit card. Top it off, the administrative fees are higher than the actual charge. I'll never use Hertz or any company that uses PlatePass again. Someone should investigate them for fraud.

Staff

Reviewed March 9, 2016

I had a very bad experience with PlatePass Hertz Tolls today. I rented a Hertz car in Orlando, Florida on February 26 and paid cash of $1.50 for my toll charges while passing through a toll road. After 8 days, accidentally while searching for another transaction on my credit card account, I noticed a charge of $16.35 from Plate Pass Tolls made on March 5, 2016. On my inquiry I was told that "you were charged unpaid toll of $1.50 plus Administrative fee of $14.85 calculated @4.95/day for 3 days". Luckily, I had returned the car after 3 days on Feb 29, 2016, otherwise administrative charges continues to add up. It is a clear case of unfair, unethical, fraudulent business, which ask for an action lawsuit in millions of dollars against both Hertz and their partner PlatePass Tolls. Can some good lawyer help us all harassed customers from Hertz and other rental car company who use platepass tolls services for fraudulent charges?

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupSales & MarketingPrice

Reviewed Feb. 29, 2016

I just thought you should know why, after 33 years of loyalty, I will no longer be renting from Hertz. And, it only cost them $1.50 to lose me! I recently rented a car at Orlando Airport location on 02/08/16. I was not informed at the time of rental that PlatePass would be part of the contract. And, since I use my own SunPass Transponder when traveling, I would not have seen this as a potential issue.

Well, it became an issue when I found a charge of $26.25 on my American Express Card. The $26.25 was for a $1.50 missed toll and a daily charge of around $4.95. So, I contacted Hertz and was transferred to PlatePass. PlatePass told me that I had neglected to pay a toll of $1.50 and the daily charge kicked in at that time even though no further charges were made using PlatePass during my week of rental. I knew my SunPass had been charged. It beeps when charged.

So, I inquired about how to resolve the charge and was told to send a copy of my SunPass toll payment to them. I followed their specific instructions and did this on 02/18/16. I received a reply that said the daily charge would be reversed, though it still has not been reversed but they would not reverse the toll charged. I then asked for a copy of the toll charge showing the date time and location of the toll charge that they would not reverse. They supplied the receipt and it showed a toll charge for passing through the Forest Lake location at 9:01:43 am on 02/08/16. I had previously provided a receipt of mine showing I had paid this same toll at the same location on 02/08/16 at 9:01:46 am., within 3 seconds of the time stamp on their receipt.

I am now on my third letter to PlatePass with the PROOF and same documentation and they tell me it will take another couple of days to research and resolve. How can Hertz work with a company like this that has no integrity? This is a scam and I would guess most renters just pay it rather than fight it. So, there are likely to be a lot of others in this same boat. That leads me to think this would be a great case for a class action law firm. I am also guessing Hertz makes money on this scam so they would be included in such a class action lawsuit. I have invested 2.6 hours of time that I will never get back. This should have been resolved with my first letter on 02/18/16 and it is now 02/29/16 and I am still working at a resolution. Thought you all should know.

Reviewed Feb. 13, 2016

Today I received a bill for $22.10. We were in San Francisco and on the 28th we drove across to see the Golden Gate bridge and now I received a bill for $22.10. I am upset why charge me administrative fee of $4.95 for 3 days. It is more than the toll. I think this very unfair to bill me for 3 days.

Reviewed Feb. 3, 2016

I checked my credit card after a trip to New Orleans. I noticed a bill for $59.46 from PlatePass. I had rented a car during my vacation but Louisiana has very few toll roads. I never went near any of them. I could not figure this one out. I called and they said my rental car had gone through toll booths in Maryland, Delaware and Pennsylvania. Strange since I picked the car up in New Orleans Airport and returned the car to New Orleans Airport and only put on 800 miles in a week. It is over 1,100 miles one way to Delaware even further to Pennsylvania. WHAT A SCAM. I guess they just charge someone's card hoping they don't check their charges.

Reviewed Dec. 23, 2015

DO NOT RENT FROM any COMPANY WHICH USES "PLATEPASS FOR TOLLS." I just signed up for consumeraffairs just to post this review. We rented online from EZ car Rental, yet when we got to rental desk, the sign said Advantage. First clue something not right. Rented for a week, and turned in the car without incident. Once we got home and reviewed our credit card statement, we noticed we were charged the amount we agreed to, about $200, but also found almost $400 additional fees from Advantage in "tolls." We never went through any tolls, just traveled north of Boston.

Multiple emails, calls to customer service, no reply. Finally went through American Express and they reached someone from "PlatePass," a company many car rental companies use to do the toll piece. Platepass told us we incurred tolls in Delaware and Maryland. We have never even been to Delaware or Maryland. After multiple additional phone calls, Platepass promised to credit the money back to our credit card. This is clearly a built in scam, they are counting on people to not have the time or the stomach to deal with this. This is highly unethical, possibly illegal. Renter beware.

Reviewed Nov. 20, 2015

Make sure you keep your hotel, food eatery, store, restaurant, gas, and toll receipts even if you don't use PlatePass. They told me they picked up charges for tolls from transponder in NYC and I was in Savannah,GA. Now how is that possible if vehicle rented in Georgia is over 950 miles away. I asked them to give me video of rental car going through the toll booths. They never answered and refunded my monies after I gave them proof where I was. Good thing I saved my receipts from my trip. I know from experience, had this same problem in May 2012. Looks like I had the last laugh.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed Nov. 20, 2015

Reading other reviews (AFTER WE RENTED), it all made sense. How the government lets this scam continue is mind blowing. We rented in San Francisco Airport from Hertz. The rental agent never told us anything about a transponder, tolls, etc. After we went many times through tolls on the various bridges, we "paid cash" every time except one. The Golden Gate Bridge coming back into San Fran, we went through the "cash" lane, to find out there was no attendant so we had to go through. We read our agreement, and called the appropriate numbers, Hertz, PlatePass, the toll company, and was told to report it to the Hertz desk at the airport when we returned. We did. We waited at the counter forever while a Hertz Agent supposedly called PlatePass who told us that they were only going to charge us $4.95.

Well when we got home, GUESS WHAT, we have a charge for $32.00 on our CC. We have made numerous calls to Hertz, PlatePass Tolls, etc., gotten major runaround, promised last time they'd refund $19.80, and as of today almost 1 month later, we still have that charge! Never, ever will we rent from Hertz again!!! I have attempted to once again call. Did get an agent who promised that "Oh, I am so sorry this wasn't taken care of by Emily. I am submitting the credit today!" Let's see of Delilah does as she says.

Contract & Terms

Reviewed Nov. 3, 2015

When you sign on the rental agreement, do pay attention to the details or else risk getting ripped off by advantage and Platepass... I was charged by platepass for all 5 days of the rental agreement even though the service was used on the last day..without my knowledge!!... Stay away from Advantage and platepass..

Reviewed Nov. 2, 2015

Hertz gets you on this one! Never again. We used Hertz in Texas. We were charged the 24.75 fee for their Toll Tag and used the 290 toll road once and the toll was a big 2.50 cents. What a ripoff! Will never use Hertz again for sure. The customer service at the desk never even explained this to us when we picked the car up at the Austin Airport. On top of it they were suppose to give us a full size car and they did not have any so we had to take a mid sized and they still charged us the same. They are scammers for sure.

Reviewed Nov. 1, 2015

I rented a car from Hertz, in North Carolina. I returned it to the same location in which I originally rented it. I stayed within North Carolina. I drove a total of 257 miles upon return. Two weeks after I got home, I got a charge on my credit card for PLATEPASS HERTZ TOLLS for $33.80. I called them. They told me it was for a toll in New Jersey and then said "Oh no, we meant New York." I told them I was not in either state and was told they would investigate this. It was clear by my mileage that this was impossible to be there.

Now, it is up to me to prove to them that I was not there??? I have disputed the transaction with my credit card company and hope they can help me out. I started searching online and have learned that this is becoming a common practice with rental car companies. I guess they are just hoping that we, the general public, will not notice the charges, will just pay them and they will make millions on this scam. I am hoping I get my $33.80 back. Based on the comments I am reading, it does not look good.

Reviewed Oct. 22, 2015

I was charged for tolls that I never went thru and after a back and forth with my credit card company they tell me that PlatePass has some receipts showing I owe them these tolls. I live upstate NY and these are from NYC. Never again Hertz.

Reviewed Oct. 16, 2015

We received a charge on our credit card for 38.22 for toll charges to PlatePass. We were never told from Fire Fly that we would be charged a toll fee, had we know this, we would have went a different route. The toll charge is only 4.95, why was the total so high? Once you go down the toll road you're charged 4.95 for each day you have the rental, it doesn't matter if you go down the toll road or not. WHAT A SCAM. SHAME ON YOU! Be aware people!

Reviewed Oct. 10, 2015

I got a from Hertz and I was told that I can use my transponder and to put theirs in the glove compartment. A month later I received a bill in the mail for $470.00. Then I called Hertz, they directed me PlatePass. No response then it says dispute fax a copy of your ez-pass bill. I've been calling, no answers. It's been since April 2015, still no response. Hertz never again and PlatePass, take your bill up with Hertz.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingPunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Sept. 25, 2015

My first Hertz PlatePass incident was in Florida a couple of years ago. It had one of those boxes on the windshield that specifically says if you want to use it, pull out the box, otherwise don't open it. Because we had our own SunPass -- which did get charged -- we did not use PlatePass. However, a month or two later, lo and behold a charge appears on our credit card and Hertz refused to remove it. At that point I stopped using Hertz, until this past spring when I had no other choice up in Boston. So I asked two different Hertz reps about using our own EasyPass and they said that there was nothing we had to do to deactivate the Hertz one -- just leave it in the glove compartment and use our own. Which we did -- and we got charged anyway a month later. We challenged it on the credit card and Hertz had no reply.

I went back to using Enterprise but last month I had to use Hertz again. This time, although the Hertz rep at #1 (I am a #1 member) at Logan again said that I could just leave the PlatePass in the glove compartment and use our own, but I told her that I tried that last time and it didn't work. So I told her that I was handing in the PlatePass at the Hertz rental exit, which I did. So there was no PlatePass in the car!! Just opened up my credit card and, wouldn't you know it, there are PlatePass charges on there??? There was NO PlatePass in the car??? And our EasyPass was charged for all the tolls!! When I called HertzPlatePass, the rep said, "Well, they get the license plate #". But if that is the case, then the charge would have been traced back to the car, not back to PlatePass!!

This scamming of customers has got to stop!! I tried PlatePass customer service -- they were useless. They gave me the # for Hertz Customer Service, which I tried but it gets the caller back to PlatePass. I tried posting a comment on Hertz's Facebook page, but Hertz deleted it within seconds of my posting it, so I posted another letting them know that I knew they deleted the first. That one is still there.

Reviewed Sept. 15, 2015

On 8/8/15 I rented a car through Hertz and returned in Destin, FL. I had to use the Mid-Bay Bridge 2 times managed by Plate Pass and the total for these tolls should have been $4. Upon returning the car in Destin, FL, I asked Hertz about the tolls and they said they charge the tolls plus an administrative fee. To avoid, they asked that I check on PlatePass.com every day until my charge showed up. I checked pretty much daily for 5 weeks and my toll charge was never posted and sure enough a couple of days ago, I was charged $32.76 on my credit card! This was 8 times the amount! I disputed the charge with my credit card company. On a side note, I rented a car with Budget Rent-A-Car later that week and used the bridge once. They only charged me $5.45. I'm not doing business with Hertz again.

Reviewed Aug. 22, 2015

On 8/2/15 I rented a car via Priceline.com (prepaid in full) for two days in Tampa, FL. I used a toll road four times and always paid cash; the total of all the tolls was $5.00. One week later something called 'platepasshertztolls' billed my credit card for $19.42! As far as I'M concerned, this is nothing short of fraud. I have disputed the charge with my CC company, and have filed a complaint with Priceline.com. No more Hertz for me...

Staff

Reviewed Aug. 11, 2015

I received a bill on my credit card for almost thirty dollars, a month after renting my vehicle for six days from Hertz in Clearwater, Florida for something called PlatePass. I was never told about this and I told the person from Hertz that I paid the two tolls I went through in cash. She said the toll sent them a photo of my plate. I am very upset about this. I think it's another way for Hertz to make more money off of their unsuspecting customers.

Reviewed Aug. 9, 2015

They are a bunch of crooks! $24.75 for the convenience of using their service is ridiculous. If you use it once, you pay for every day of the rental, NO matter if you used the service or not. After I accidentally used it once on day 7 of a 8 day rental I was on the hook for the maximum convenience fee of $24.75. PlatePass is worse than Ticketmaster, which is hard to accomplish.

Reviewed Aug. 7, 2015

I rented a car in May in New Haven and traveled to PA. I knew the issues with PlatePass. So I asked Hertz to disable PlatePass in the car. But I got a bogus charge from PlatePass saying that I crossed GWB twice in specific times. I actually used Tappan Zee bridge twice in different times. After I showed my Google GPS locations, PlatePass agreed to refund the charge. PlatePass is completely bogus. I will not use Hertz because Hertz cannot guarantee the removal or disable of PlatePass from their cars.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupSales & Marketing

Reviewed Aug. 7, 2015

I was charged $31 by PlatePass when I rented a car from Hertz. Since I had never heard of this company I disputed the charge with AMEX. They told me after investigating the matter that the charge was in relation to my Hertz rental car. AMEX sent me the statement which showed that PlatePass (alias Hertz) had charged me $24.75 for administrative fees and $6.50 for using a toll road. As far as I know I avoided all toll roads. I was never told by Hertz that I would be charged more than $4/day to have a device installed on my vehicle that I did not want to use anyway. A total rip-off and scam. I am very disappointed in Hertz. I have been a gold Hertz member and loyal customer for years and liked Hertz because there were never any unexpected charges or other problems. Not anymore. I received a dumb message from Hertz customer service to call PlatePass. The whole thing should be illegal. Shame on Hertz!

Reviewed Aug. 3, 2015

On certain roads in Florida PlatePass is mandatory. I was charged $31.45. I have done the same route with other rental companies and was charged $6.50. Seems Hertz charges its captive customers $24.95 and tells you it's a convenience. DON'T RENT FROM HERTZ, they should be ashamed of themselves.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingPrice

Reviewed July 27, 2015

I rented a car in May and another one in June 2015. During both trips I avoided almost all tolls in Texas. I know I saw one that was $1.80 and one was $1.10. Both of the $2 tolls in Oklahoma I paid with cash since the PlatePass does not list Oklahoma as compatible. When I got my credit card bill, there was a $15 charge, then another $22 charge. The following month they tried to add another $19 charge. That's when I decided they were completely fraudulent and I disputed all 3 charges with a mouse click. I received an email 30 minutes later that all disputes were resolved in my favor. I think they are banking on people not checking their statements. Big Scam!

Reviewed July 23, 2015

I rented a car with Hertz recently and was not informed that PlatePass would be charging me a $4.95 daily fee + tolls. Tolls were $8.15... FEE $24.75 (max). Am a Hertz Gold customer... what kind of customer service is that? Will never use PlatePass again - why is the consumer penalized for convenience? Very disappointed in Hertz for their lack of communication and for selecting a service to "help" their customer which is a rip off.

Ronald increased rating by 2 stars.
    Customer ServiceContract & TermsSales & MarketingOnline & App
    After a positive interaction with PlatePass.com, Ronald increased their star rating on Aug. 14, 2015.

Updated review: Aug. 14, 2015

See my 7/22/15 review.

PlatePass did refund my "administrative charges" three weeks after I disputed them, attaching a copy of my E-ZPass transactions.

While it is usually impossible to speak with a human at Hertz, I was referred to someone in "executive customer relations" after contacting Hertz investor relations. They were very helpful.

Original Review: July 22, 2015

I have been a customer of Hertz for several decades. I am disappointed that Hertz continues to support the PlatePass scam despite losing the class action suit entitled "Susan ** et al., v. The Hertz Corporation et al., Case No. **". PlatePass is a service which automatically pays toll charges, whether or not the renter wants to use them (I place my E-ZPass transporter on the window of rental cars when I am in New England), and then bills the recipient. They recently charged my credit card for $25.75. PlatePass makes it impossible to speak to a human, so I filed a dispute on their website. They claim that you can use their website to find details of the charge, but their website reported that I had no charges. I tried calling Hertz, but they too make it impossible to speak to a human, with their automated service and website referring me to PlatePass.

So, I am between a rock and a hard place. Hertz won’t speak with me. PlatePass won’t respond to my dispute. And my credit card company, which receives scores of complaints against PlatePass every day, says that they are bound by the fine print in Hertz's rental contract (apparently Hertz responded to losing Susan ** et al by burying authorization to use PlatePass in the fine print of their rental agreement).

Reviewed July 21, 2015

My family and I went on a short camping trip in June. We rented from Hertz and paid a couple tolls in cash. A month later we received a bill from something called PlatePass, which we've never heard of. They said we had gone over a bridge (once) that had a toll charge, so we were being billed for the fee of $5.50 PLUS administrative fees of $4.95 a day for 6 days, which amounted to an extra $24.75. So, they want us to pay THEM $30.25 for crossing one bridge???!!! This is so wrong and we are extremely upset. We plan NOT to rent from Hertz in the future and if someone is filing a class action suit, I'd be interested in signing on. This should not be legal!!!

Reviewed July 11, 2015

Rented a car with Hertz and just received my credit card bill with $53.35 in tolls. Called and of course no live person, directed me to website. I had my own EZPass in the car. Very upset with the way this company does business. I am due a credit, not sure how to get a live person to dispute.

Reviewed July 7, 2015

Numerous state, including Colorado, are now participating in a legal scam, called PlatePass. Auto rental companies are complicit in the scam, collecting exorbitant fees as a part of rental agreements. While in Colorado recently, we paid a total of $114.45 for PlatePass of a period of 17 days when we only went through toll booths in the vicinity of the Denver Airport after leaving the airport and upon returning 17 days later. The rest of the time we were nowhere near a toll booth. I note that my rental charges include a 11.25% state tax of $100.28 and a county rental tax of 2%, or $17.83.

I suppose the only alternative is to drive to Colorado top avoid this legalized scam. All I can say is if this were a private outfit doing this to consumers, they should be put behind bars as perpetrating a consumer ripoff. But what do you do when corrupt politicians and tax hungry state governments are behind it? This, not to mention the blatant invasion of privacy reminiscent of George Orwell's "1984". I surprised the people of Colorado tolerate this, or are they happy to let it go on because it rips off, primarily, out-of-staters in order to reduce their tax burden.

Reviewed July 3, 2015

I visited my daughter in Dallas Texas for 3 days last month. I rented a car from Advantage Rental Car. When I reviewed my credit card statement this month, I noticed that I was charged a plate pass fee of $22.08 for toll fees. First of all I did not go thru any toll gates while there, if I did I would have stopped to pay the toll fee because I had no clue about the plate pass on this rental vehicle. I have sent an email to the plate pass folks to let them know that I was not happy with the surprise charge on my credit card and to dispute this. I have not received a response as of yet regarding this. To me, this appears to be a new money scam!

Contract & TermsPriceOnline & App

Reviewed June 23, 2015

I received an invoice from PlatePass for toll charges on a Hertz rental car back in February. The invoice is for $59.00. The charges are broken down to $39.50 for tolls and $19.80 for administrative charges. The invoice states that the "administrative fee" was calculated at $4.95 per day for 4 days as per the "agreement". I used the PA Turnpike for a trip from Philadelphia to Allentown and paid the toll of approximately $5.00 in cash. A $39.50 toll charge is impossible for this trip. Also, I've never heard of PlatePass and certainly did not agree to pay them anything. I called PlatePass to dispute the charges, but was directed to their website and not able to speak to a live person. My Hertz rental agreement number: **. PlatePass invoice number: **.

Reviewed June 14, 2015

Hertz charged me $27.75 for a $3.00 toll.

Reviewed June 11, 2015

I rented a car from Hertz on April 11th and returned April 18. We went out of the city through the Lincoln Tunnel and returned through the Lincoln Tunnel. On May 12th I saw a charge for over $59. I was informed that plate pass had charged us $28 for the GW Bridge plus multiple $3.50 charges plus the administrative fee. I explained that we had paid cash for all tolls including the Lincoln Tunnel. After multiple complaints they did refund $24.95 for administrative charges, but insisted on receipts to even consider more refunds. We were on a pleasure trip and did not ask for receipts. Hertz was most unhelpful and so that's the last time I rent from them.