2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.07/5

PlatePass.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PlatePass.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PlatePass.com?

Original review: April 8, 2019

I rented a car from Hertz and used my personal SunPass to pay tolls in Florida, and received a bill from PlatePass for my 1st toll out of MCO along with a 1 day service fee. THIS ISN'T THE FIRST TIME THIS HAPPENED!!! I guess most people just pay the $7.70 instead of wasting an hour on hold to fight it, but since this has happened to me multiple times, as well as, others I know, they definitely need to be investigated for this practice. Note - PlatePass will eventually reverse the charges, but only after you also contact SunPass and Hertz and provide proof of the time of the rental and SunPass rental vehicle activation. Hertz keeps blaming PlatePass and PlatePass says it's Hertz - PLEASE HELP!

Original review: March 25, 2019

I rented a car from Hertz to go to work while my car repaired. 1 week after returning car I get a bill PlatePass invoice. I was shocked because I drove local never left state. I called Hertz. They directed me to PlatePass who told me according to their toll records I was driving around NYC used for tolls!!! As upset as I was I figured they will look into their mistakes and fix. Instead I get email saying I'm responsible for these charges!!! Last time I was in NYC was 4 yrs ago! I was at work the whole time in CT. I'm going to report to BBB.

Original review: March 1, 2019

BUYER BEWARE: I’ve been a loyal Hertz Presidential Circle member for about 2 years now & I’ve noticed in the last 2 months (so a pattern is developing) that Hertz in partnership with PlatePass has been charging both my credit card & now my debit card with tolls for areas where I never drove through, or tolls I just never incurred. Whenever I rent any car, my first option is to avoid toll roads & if I can’t do this, then I make sure I pay my toll with a CASH attendant so I get a receipt ALL THE TIME, but as some of you may know, or may not some roads are strictly Cashless now which PlatePass seemingly is aware of.

If you google PlatePass complaints you shall see all the things they’re with Hertz are doing to their customers across this country & it’s just not right. Their business practice is to just take whatever charges out of your card account, at which point you’ve to contact PlatePass to dispute this, then as usual they waste your time, saying they shall review the case & contact you in a few days by email, perhaps refunding the money. The question I asked one of them (the Supervisor mentioned below) is why didn’t they do this before they charged my accounts, perhaps just as a courtesy for being a Loyal member? But no, it’s about getting into your pockets at whatever cost! At the local Hertz where you’d have rented a car, even if you speak to the manager there, they just give you the 800# for PlatePass so you’ve to get back your money yourself.

I just wasted time this afternoon talking to the Supervisor at the PlatePass # (877) 411- 4300 making my complaints about this form of thievery, & yesterday too I had to call the manager at the Maplewood Hertz in NJ & complain to him too: both said they’d pass it “onto their higher ups” which is code for they can’t do anything for you. Like I said you shall have to get your money pretty much on your own, & why is the benefit of the doubt in their favor, when you're the customer who honestly didn't incur that toll charge? Before these 2 calls again I had on different days wasted time calling PlatePass & talking with someone, then I did that weeks ago for charges which seemed to reappear this week. I'm now concerned for the rental car I returned a few days ago, PlatePass will charge me who knows what for tolls I paid in cash.

Perhaps they’re hoping none of you shall notice but like I started this BUYER BEWARE when renting with Hertz. I’ve never had any such problem with Enterprise who I’ve rented longer with, & don't be afraid to complain since probably the extent of the problem nationwide will remain hidden with loyal customers just taking this abuse quietly, & this they're probably counting on.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

All. Was just scammed by Hertz Plate Pass. They're charging me for Illinois Tollway tolls that were PAID via my IPASS on locations, dates and times on their invoices! These folks NEED to be taken to court. These are the BUMS who operate RED LIGHT cameras around the US. Chicago and Illinois THREW them OUT after years of shady dealings and fraud on drivers. Any lawyers out there? Class Action?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I picked up rental from Hertz at Boston Logan Airport and was charged 17.80 for toll charges on my credit cards. #1 I had no choice of paying this toll myself which would've been 1.50. I was not aware of the outrageous toll charges that these two vultures are ripping off people for. 5.90 plus a "CONVENIENCE FEE" of 11.90. That is abuse and something need to be done about it especially when they take it upon themselves to charge your credit card. Disgusting and very abusive!!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

This is my 4th time having to dispute Plate Pass charges. I call and complain to Hertz who always blames PlatePass but I sign a contract with Hertz. First PlatePass sent an invoice for tolls in Long Island. I rented in Rochester and stayed in Buffalo. I sent two dispute messages from their site which they did not respond to. I should have been able to reply to the invoice. Then they charged my card automatically. Meanwhile I have to prove that I was not on Long Island while they already have my money. They are going to drag out this dispute and see if I give up. But it's $150 in tolls. They will continue to abuse customers who didn't want their services until they end up in court.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I picked up a rental while my car was having insurance work done. I asked about the toll fees because I normally take a toll road to work. I was told that any toll charges would be billed to me after the car was returned and that I could pay them then or see about transferring them to my NTTA account. Over a month later I received the bill from PlatePass, has the charges and a $5.95 per day fee for "convenience". When I asked about transferring them to my toll account they told me I would have to contact NTTA to see if they would do that, the rep said this was a pause as if she already knew what was going to happen so I'm guessing this is the norm with these crappy service offered by Hertz.

Called NTTA and they told me the only way I could have paid the reduced rate and avoided the $5.95 per day fee is if I had contacted them the day I got the rental and added it to my account. When specifically asked about it at Hertz I was not told this was an option but when I called back to complain they said it was explained to me as an option. What a load of crap.

My company employees 20k people across the US and I work in a department that handles travel for our sales team and management. I received a list of the companies that do NOT use PlatePass and we are re-aligning our guidance to traveling employees not to use Hertz, Dollar, Advantage, Avis, etc and stick to Enterprise for rentals to avoid this scam.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

The same thing just happened to me from Hertz and PlatePass for 101 dollars there has to be something we all can do about this. Please help. I'm sitting here crying. I'm a single mom in school and I feel like I have been robbed by Hertz and PlatePass. I complained to Hertz and they said the charges are mine. I never went to New York or the other place on the invoice. I disputed them with my credit card company and they decided the invoice was correct and closed my dispute. Now I'm waiting to hear from PlatePass. I sent them documents of my whereabout, I was at the hospital work at the post office, etc. Someone please help.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Rented a car from Hertz which is partnered with PlatePass. Our rental was covered by insurance. PlatePass sent me a bill for $147.65 for tolls in NY, MA, NJ and NH. Neither my husband nor I, who were the only two people on the rental agreement, ever drove it out of our state of CT! My husband called the company and complained of the bogus charges. He got an email the next day about us having to send proof that we weren’t in these places on the stated dates. What a sleazy company. We will complain to Hertz and have filed a complaint with the BBB. We will see if it gets resolved. I will never again rent from Hertz because of this experience.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I rented a car from Hertz for a tournament. After I returned the vehicle, I was charged an extra fee onto my credit card and had no idea where it came from. However; the description was listed as “gas or tolls”. I contacted Hertz immediately because I returned the vehicle with more gas then I received and, I knew for sure that I didn’t go through any tolls. Hertz directed me to PlatePass for further inquiry since, they assured me it wasn't for gas which, was kind boggling to me since, again; I didn’t go through any tolls. In fact, I made sure to avoid tolls because I didn’t take the EZ pass from my car. I contacted PlatePass who asked me to submit a meal or gas receipt proving I was not in the area the tolls were recorded at. Please take into consideration, I had only filled up the gas tank once while near my home (because it was much cheaper) and packed lunch for my children and I for our hour journey.

I sent them the tournament schedule detailing where I was and asked if they could consider the mileage which would contradict a trip to NY (which did not occur). I was only an hour and 20 mins from my home all the while NY is about 2 hours and 15 mins from my home/Hertz rental. Since I didn’t have any gas or to receipts, because I didn’t get gas in Ocean Township where I was; the charge remained. Further, the initial customer service rep assured me sometimes prior renters take the PlatePass with them, as a mistake. I will never rent from Hertz again thanks to PlatePass because this was the worst experience ever!

PlatePass.com Company Information