1.25/5
Based on 257 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

321 Lufthansa Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 29, 2018

I am currently trying to travel from Amsterdam to Gaborone. Yesterday our flight was delayed from Amsterdam to Munich by Lufthansa. Due to this delay We missed our South African Airways flight and were left stranded in Munich. Step by step this is what has happened so far and it should tell you of how your employees and protocols for this situation are appalling.

We arrived at 2130 and immediately joined the line at the service point. At 0100 I was told I cannot be rebooked and it will only be done at 0400 am. I was denied any accommodation. I also rejoined the line for service at 0400 am. I was not given anywhere to sleep. I just sat in line for another 9 hours. At 0930 I finally got service and was rebooked to fly to Frankfurt then Windhoek then Gaborone to arrive Monday a day later. I flew out of Munich at 11 am and arrived at 1200. We immediately went to the next service station and asked them for accommodation again so we can bath and refresh after 24 hrs without sleep or a bath. They denied us this and instead gave us 6 Euro voucher for a public restroom shower.

When I got to the shower the service lady said she does not accept these vouchers. Since I was already out of customs I had to go to the Lufthansa check in gate, the lady helping me was supposed to be the supervisor there but she was incredibly rude and said she does not have the time to help me find a shower and I should realise she is busy. All she did was write her cell phone and asked me to return to the public restroom and give it to the lady. I did that, the lady again said she cannot help, tried to call but the number was not going through.

I then walked to the international flight side of Frankfurt airport and found out that I cannot check in because since Lufthansa rebooked on our behalf there are “issues with the booking” and also they did not print our boarding passes. So currently I am stuck at the departures check in kiosk, waiting for Air Namibia to open (only opens 2 hrs before the flight). Our flight is at 20:10 and so I will be waiting here on a bench for 5 more hours, no sleep, no bath for 48 hrs and Lufthansa seems not to care that they should help me. I am a ** woman and I can’t help but think I have been treated like an animal due to racist ideology. Other people have had accommodation and trains organised for them, they have been given vouchers that actually work. They have been given better care than us and I want to know why that is?

Original review: July 17, 2018

We were late leaving LAX. Arrived in Frankfurt and taxied for 40 minutes. Then unloaded at some remote part of the airport and were bussed to the terminal. Ran through all of the nonsense to find I could not get on the plane. Waited for over 6 hours before we finally left. On the connecting flight. On arrival in Milan one of my bags was missing. Never received my luggage till 8: pm the next day after being assured it would be there by 2: am the following morning after arrival. Terrible food on the flight. Disgusting food and service on the return flight out of Barcelona. The worst service on any airline in. The past 20 years. I was traveling in business class both ways. No more Lufthansa for me. The other passengers were likewise disgusted and upset. Totally indifferent staff.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 9, 2018

We left from Tel Aviv Airport with Lufthansa that was delayed for over 1 hour while we sat in the aircraft. The pilot stated that there was no reason for the delay. As a result of the delay we missed our connecting flight by 5 minutes after being subjected to running through the most ridiculous airport in the world and its multiple security checks and stupidly designed layout. We were also told that we had to have additional checks since we flew out of Israel. They did not hold our flight and the gate agent was not only rude she threatened that she would walk away, not help us and told us we could go find a service desk on our own.

We were stuck in Frankfurt overnight and delayed an entire day. Our return flight was miserable as well. We took Lufthansa from Florence Airport to Frankfurt to JFK NY. We were harassed and mistreated every step of the way by Lufthansa. They subjected me to embarrassing luggage and body searches and continually commented on our visiting Israel and my American passport. Frankfurt airport has absurd security checks that are ridiculous! All the servers went down at Customs. Everyone in line was freaking out quietly because like myself - we were needing to make connecting flights. No one could verbally complain or else face more harassment.

To top it all after going through all of the delays, unnecessary quadruple document and security checks - I was once again subjected to being pulled off into a portioned area where I was again tormented about Israel, had Israeli coffee that was made a fuss over - that I was forced to leave behind so I would not be delayed further- coffee that I wanted to dump out so they could not take it home to enjoy. We all know that products taken away from passengers are basically thieved for airport workers enjoyment.

After all of this we were targeted and harassed again to have our carry on luggage forcefully taken away. Note here that our carry on luggage was the appropriate measurements and within the weight restrictions for carry on luggage. We argued that our carry ons met their requirements but our luggage was taken away. I asked the nasty agents name which she refused to not only give us she covered her name tag with her hand.

Meanwhile other passengers with larger overfilled luggage were allowed on board. They also gave an excuse about it being a full flight. We took note that there were overhead bins on the aircraft that were empty. We were so mistreated and harassed by Lufthansa that I will never fly with them again nor step foot in hellhole Germany. I believe that we were especially targeted and subjected to Lufthansa’s abuse because they hate Americans and are anti semites as they assumed because we visited Israel. Lufthansa’s entire system is ridiculous and moronic. Lufthansa wins the prize of being the nastiest airline in existence and one that selects passengers to harass based on the prejudice mentality of this German run airline.

Original review: June 30, 2018

6/27/18 I'm quadriplegic and have a power wheelchair. At Nice, France airport wheelchair was checked with normal luggage for delivery to Newark airport. We changed planes in Frankfurt. We got to Newark a day and 1/2 later but that's another story. It's now 4 days and no one even knows where my wheelchair is. Lost baggage is subcontracted to globalbaggage.uk and in their latest email basically said, "Don't call us. We'll call you." Lufthansa lost baggage rooms are closed on weekends so nothing can be done. They did offer to try to find me a suitable manual chair but that doesn't help me. Global Baggage refers you to their phone number which has been disconnected and also tells you to call the airport which of course tells you to call the carrier Lufthansa.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I would like to share the most terrible experience in the Frankfurt airport my mother has ever encountered. The employee of the airport keep mistreating passengers, and nobody can stop them from doing so. Here is what I wrote to Lufthansa airlines which my mother was using. "I am writing to you to describe a terrible experience which my mother had to encounter in the airport of Frankfurt. I ordered for her a wheelchair, but she was not provided with it. As soon as she landed, nobody helped her to get to the next gate. Her legs hurt her very much, but she had to carry her carry-on bag and to walk long distances in the airport. The service which must be provided for such people was not provided at all. Moreover the employees of the airport did not want to talk or to help neither. She was just left as she was without knowing what to do next and where to go. She neither speaks English nor German."

As a result of such disgusting attitude she missed her flight along with the other many passengers. She heard from many passengers that they NEVER EVER experienced such attitude in any airports. Her physical condition now is terrible. She cannot walk. She barely got home. I DEMAND the compensation and the punishment of the people who are responsible. I paid the insurance for this flight, and I am going to complain to the insurance company as well. I attach her boarding passes, and I am looking forward to hearing from you soon."

Here is the answer I received from them. "Thank you for your correspondence regarding Lidiia **. We at Lufthansa always ensure that our passengers’ privacy is respected and protected. In order for us to proceed with your request, we kindly ask for the power of attorney signed by the passenger/s. As soon as we receive this legal document authorizing you to act on behalf of the passenger/s, we will be happy to assist you in this regard. Thank you for your continued patience and understanding in this matter. We look forward to hearing from you soon at your earliest convenience and settling this matter to your satisfaction."

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lufthansa?

Original review: June 18, 2018

I had a terrible experience trying to fly to Poland using Lufthansa. I booked the flight on May 11, 2018, through Vayama. The departure from SFO was on June 16, 2018, and return to SFO on July 1, 2018. The flight from San Francisco (SFO) to Warsaw (WAW) had one stop in Frankfurt. I was at the airport in San Francisco 2.5 hours before the flight. During the check-in, the Lufthansa employee said that there was a problem, because my US passport was valid only to August 27, 2018 which was less than 3 months from the day of the departure. I was surprised.

While making a reservation, there was no information on the website about any regulations regarding the validity of the passport or any other restrictions. At the SFO airport the only requirement was that the passport should be signed. The front-desk employee said that I wouldn't be able to board the plane because of the 3 months requirement. I had on me a Polish passport, and showed it to her. She said that it was good that I had the Polish passport. That it would resolve the issue of traveling to Poland. She went to consult this issue with another person. They checked that I could enter Poland even on an expired Polish passport since I held dual citizenship (Polish and American). They even put a tag on my luggage that it was approved as a carry-on. Then they tried to check me in. They had some trouble with the system and called a supervisor for assistance.

The supervisor at first was willing to help, but then called somebody, and after this phone call her attitude toward me completely changed. She said that she would not check me in, and would not allow me to fly to Poland, that I would not be allowed to enter the plane to Warsaw in Frankfurt, that in Germany I would be stopped at the passport control and put back on a plane to the United States. I tried to argue that I was only in transit through Frankfurt to Warsaw, that I would not even leave the airport, that between my arrival to Frankfurt and the flight to Warsaw I would be at the airport in Frankfurt only 1hr 25 min. I contacted the Polish border control. They said that there was no problem. I could enter Poland as a Polish citizen. I told this to the Lufthansa supervisor but she still declined me the boarding pass.

The irony was that she said that on my valid US passport I could fly from Poland to the United States but not vice versa. She even told me that if I would fly through Heathrow in London or directly to Warsaw there would be no problem which confused me even more. She told that this regulation was put in place last year. She suggested that I should reschedule my flight so I could fly through JFK and then to Warsaw. I asked her to help me with the new booking, but she said that she was not a ticket person, and that I should call Lufthansa (1-800-645-3880.) I tried several times, was put on hold, and when finally got hold of somebody I was told that they would not change tickets, that I should call the agency where I booked my ticket.

I tried to reach Vayama (1-855-396-8777), was put on hold. When finally an agent picked up the phone, the plane to Frankfurt departed. I was left without any options. Because of this, I was not able to visit my 87-year-old, ailing father, just for 2 weeks when my US passport would be still valid for about 2 months after my return to the United States.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Lufthansa’s “book with ease” assurance on their website should really read “book with seize”. Let me explain: You’ve read the claim on Lufthansa’s website to book with ease with their 24 hour cancellation policy for a full refund, right? Well, that is true, you can easily cancel. BUT what they don’t tell you: They have no intention to refund your money anytime soon, if ever. So if you prematurely book a flight, but afterwards you discover there is another carrier that offers a cheaper, shorter, or simply, a flight that better fits your needs, don’t forget one thing: You might not be able to book it until your money has been refunded first, (if ever), all depending on your financial situation, of course.

Take me for instance: On May 30, 2018, I booked a non-stop, first class ticket with Lufthansa, (Los Angeles-Munich-Los Angeles), because they had a “great” offer on first class tickets: $7,753.35 round trip; just a couple of hundred dollars more than their business class tickets went for. In addition, I booked a rental car in the amount of $1,225.09 for the 4 week duration of my stay, which would have brought my total travel expense to $8978.44, so basically 9 grand. On a whim, I had splurged, only to get hit by buyer's remorse afterwards. Was I insane? Did I REALLY need to fly first class? True, it’s a 12 hour flight, and I have a bad back, but wouldn’t business class have resolved my issue just the same? After all, business class seats recline into flat beds just as first class seats do.

Needless to say, I canceled my booking on the Lufthansa website within the 24 hour time frame. Almost immediately I received a booking cancellation confirmation email from Lufthansa, informing me that I qualified for the full refund of $7,753.35. In the meantime, I thoroughly combed through the internet and found a business class ticket with Aer Lingus, for $3,974.79, plus a minivan for a mere $720.84, a total of $4695.63. Half as much as my travel plans with Lufthansa!

Luckily for me, I was actually able scrape enough money together for this new booking with Aer Lingus, but the huge dent in my account from having purchased the Lufthansa ticket prevented me from exploring further travel adventures, such as multi-city hopping, river rafting reservations, or tickets to theater performances. In fact, how was I even going to book the most basic trip needs in advance, like a great deals on accommodations? Fast forward two weeks and three phone calls later: Not only has Lufthansa NOT issued my refund yet, but they haven’t even STARTED the process! On my last call I was advised by a heavy accented lady to try their web support department. (?!?) The hours on hold spent on the phone calls would be worth a review all by itself!

To make a long story short, I had no choice but to call my bank and file a complaint. My bank immediately started an investigation, explaining that the investigation could take up to 130 days. However, the bank also assured me that they will advance the full amount back into my account within 10 business days. All I had to do in addition was to fax my booking cancellation confirmation to them. Regardless, as relieved as I am to receive help from my bank in this matter, I am still going to be out of $7,753 for a total of almost four weeks, including the 10 business days it takes my bank to advance the funds onto my account.

Bottomline: Don’t fall for Lufthansa’s easy, 24 hour cancellation sham and do not book with Lufthansa unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure you will stick with your booking! Had I not had the knowledge to contact my bank, I could have been out of almost eight grand for months, a year, or forever, according to reviews on here, as well as reviews on other forums.

Original review: June 11, 2018

The security and other staff including the staff on Lufthansa airlines are rude and racist. They subject ** people to humiliating and demeaning treatment including the way you are checked at security even though you passed through the buzzer. I never want to go through Frankfurt International Airport again as the experience was a complete humiliation to my human rights and dignity.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I recently connected thru Frankfurt via Bangalore. My colleague and I approached the gate agent greeting the flight to ask about connecting gate info. The agent proceeded to loudly and quite dramatically... ask what we had eaten as we smelled like curry! I only wish I had gotten this rude idiot's name to formally report his offensive behavior. Come on Lufthansa! Hire some professionals as these folks represent your airline! Absolutely unacceptable and I have never been so humiliated!

Original review: May 7, 2018

Our RT Denver-Amsterdam on Lufthansa was on Mar 6. Flight was from Denver-Munich-Amsterdam. It was booked through Kayak (another story) for 4 travelers. There were 2 different times for the 4 people traveling together. I booked the tickets via computer all the same day but different cards. We were shocked to see 2 of the travelers on different flights from Munich-Amsterdam-Munich. On the return flight from Amsterdam-Munich, one passenger was supposed to be on the 7 am flight (w/ the other 2), unlike mine - 2 hrs later. She assumed she had the same flights as I. NO! Since she missed the 7 am flight to Mun - they then canceled her Mun-Den flight without contacting her via text or email.

In order to continue on, they charged her 1700 euros (for an economy plus seat). The seat would have gone empty anyway since there was at least 1 unfilled seat. I wrote a long letter stating this to Lufthansa and asking for a credit, instead of being double charged. Not one word has been received regarding this, which I find unacceptable. Zero customer service with no regard for their paying passengers. I will not fly Lufthansa ever again, & I will continue to repeat how they ripped off a 68 woman to their advantage. I thought Lufthansa was a top class airline -- no more.

Original review: May 6, 2018

I booked a flight from Germany to Los Angeles around 6 months ago and in mid-March paid $700 (2 tickets) to be upgraded to premium economy. For couple of weeks their website showed our status as premium economy. We went to our vacation and last day of our vacation we got an email for flight confirmation and in that our seats were regular economy, baffled that we had paid for this upgrade a month in advance. Why suddenly the change? So we called the customer service and 45 minutes hold. The lady said due to “equipment change!!!” This problem has happened and “unfortunately there is no availability for this class” and they will refund my money in 10 days.

So we went to airport but this time instead of asking what happened we just asked, "Do you have availability for premium economy." The lady looked and said they have!!! In result we said so because we have paid in advance we want those seats. She got so surprised that had to call her boss. The boss guy came and said, "You asked if the seats are available but not you paid already”. Anyway they were caught red handed and had to give us the tickets.

My issue is this company is committing a fraud either: 1. Sold us a product that later claimed they don’t have and kept our money for 1.5 months without bothering to let us know Or 2. They had the seats available but towards getting close to flight date sold our seats to a higher price. Either way they are fraudulent, liar, and untrustworthy.

Original review: April 10, 2018

ALL Lufthansa crew should be ashamed of such a terrible, DISGUSTING customer service!!! You have to learn from other normal services how to operate and talk to people! You should check WHO you are hiring!!! You should FIRE this disgusting staff who hangs up on customers! I have ALWAYS traveled with Lufthansa and I will NO MORE! You should be truly ashamed that such a well-known airline handles its customers on the zero level! As a marketing student, I know way more on how to satisfy customers and make them stick with your brand than your multinational unprofessional company!

Original review: April 10, 2018

We had a really terrible flight back to New Zealand from our holidays in Spain. The ticket counter told us in Singapore that we would be compensate for their mistakes, that cost us 12 h extra in our flight, but after that when we sent them the formal complaint they didn´t answer our complaints, they gave us a excuses for the delays on the flight that we were not complaining about, and when we replied explaining again and again the complaint there was not answers, it's been a year ago. We are totally disappointed and I know that I won't have any compensation or any of my money back. I will never ever fly again with them of course, and the only thing that we can do is let know to the people how is thinking in flight with them how was our flight.

Our original flight from Frankfurt to Singapore was delayed by seven hours (it was because air control -right I know- it's the only explanation that they gave us) was all right, they gave us another flight from Frankfurt to Singapore to don´t missed our connecting flight from Singapore direct to Christchurch. And in this moment was when the mistake was made, the "Lufthansa ticket counter" printed off our new boarding passes for the flights but she didn´t let them know in Singapore that we were flying in another flight and that we would be on time for the connection.

So we went to Singapore, we wait to the connection flight to Christchurch, but when we were going to board the flight, the lady taking the boarding tickets told us that we were canceled from this flight because no one let them know that we were flying on time to Singapore so they canceled us from this flight because they thought that we were not going to make it on time.

She send us to "Lufthansa ticket counter" in Singapore and the men at the desk (who was really nice) couldn't believe that with the boarding passes printed by the "Lufthansa ticket counter" no one informed Singapore that we were arriving on time to not cancel us from the Singapore - Christchurch flight. After he had been checking different options at the end he found that the best or "earliest" option was a flight with Singapore Airlines from Singapore to Sydney, and wait 7 h in Sydney for the connection from Sydney - Christchurch and arrive to Christchurch the 14th of November at 10.00pm.

We arrived exactly 11 hours later than we should have arrived to Christchurch (New Zealand). We traveled for 45h. We arrived exhausted, disappointed, and really dissatisfied for how our amazing holiday finished in such a horrible way, we really think that is not fair all what we experience during these flights because this is not what we did paid for (and is not a cheap flight).

After explain them the history 3 times by email, the only answer that we get is that is not their fault because the first flight was delayed from air control. And we explain them again and again what the Luthfansa ticket counter told us at Singapore: "The mistake was made by the "Lufthansa ticket counter" in Frankfurt, she gave us another flight to make it on time in Singapore but she didn´t let them know that we were flying in another flight and that we would be on time for the connection." But we still getting the same answer: "The first flight was delayed from air control and it's not our fault" an totally no sense and a terrible customer relation service.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I had entire trip booked from NYC to Croatia, waiting and saving for this entire year. Finally I purchase tickets, paid in full, just for them to send me email month later TELLING ME my new return is 3 days earlier!? THEY LITERALLY JUST CUT MY TRIP 3 DAYS SHORT, SENT ME NEW TICKET AND THAT'S IT??? I had wedding to go to that exact weekend, already paid for all stuff etc. So now I try to reach them, took 4 days. NO LIE for redundant music to stop playing and some woman with 9 accents to pick up...of course she could not comprehend anything I asked her, she kept referring things I never asked, I asked for supervisor, she puts me on hold...cuts me off... This went on for A WEEK!!! A WHOLE WEEK!

While I'm trying to fix this problem, it is a time sensitive issue because tickets I had to change BECAUSE OF LUFTHANSA CHANGING MINE, on another airline, are getting sold out. So now all of them sell out and all I can basically do is wait for another few days for Lufthansa to pick up and request my refund and lose all money and plans I spent half a year saving for!!! Now I get another person with 9 accents on the phone and she literally tells me my refund 'should possibly I believe be full.' Really? Were my flights 'little bit' cancelled too? Absolute horror! I ended up requesting refund online, I still did not receive it or any confirmation of any sort for it but I'm taking this to next level for compensation and rest. SHAME ON YOU!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I was flying with my father from Boston to Frankfurt, then on to Athens. At the gate, we tried to upgrade to Business class from Economy, but they didn't let us do so -- even though the gate attendant told us that there were 2 business seats open, we had to be in Premium Economy first to upgrade to Business, which is frankly BS. She wasted about half an hour of our time, and we tried to call them to upgrade our seats over the phone -- no answer from customer service. We then went to the Lufthansa lounge for some salvation, but no dice there, because guess what? THE OTHER BUSINESS CLASS SEAT WAS TAKEN! Never flying Lufthansa ever again. I'm sticking with Swiss and British Airways.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I bought tickets for Lufthansa airlines from Almaty to Geneva via Frankfurt on July 8th 2017 for January 8th 2018 dates (4 people). Our Booking reference number **. We planned our vacation to ski resort in advance (6 months!). Tickets were unchangeable. We booked the hotel and car-transfer to ski resort in advance too. This amount is also non-returnable and unchangeable.

Yesterday WITHOUT notification and explanation I received new tickets (change reservation) to January 9th (which means losing the whole day and half and transfer reservations). This is shocking and unacceptable situation. We called to reservation support, they offered us the alternative route (arriving to Geneva 6 hours later and losing rest of the day). We agreed because we didn’t have other choice. So we have to change the time of car-transfer and pay for that. I think this is outrageous and completely disrespectful attitude to the customers which ruins vacation mood. Please understand this situation. We would like that Lufthansa will refund the full tickets price + car-transfer + one-day ski-pass for 4 people. I always thought that Lufthansa is one of the most reliable airline with corresponding customer service but this is shocking thing to hear from you.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

My LH flight from Poznan (PL) to Frankfurt was cancelled for reasons which are a mystery still to this day. There were rumours among other travellers to Frankfurt at Poznan airport, ranging from technical issues to fog. The facts can however be clearly laid out: It was a bit foggy that afternoon BUT there were several other flights arriving and leaving from Poznan at the same time my flight should have left, including another Lufthansa flight from and to Munich. Hence the weather was good enough for landing and takeoff.

I saw on the flight tracker that the aircraft coming from Frankfurt made a U-turn right before Poznan to land in Berlin. It was the same aircraft that should have taken us back to Frankfurt. Why would they decide to turn around and fly some hundred kilometres back if there were technical problems? Pilots will always seek the closest airport for an emergency landing. The closest would have been, you guessed it right, Poznan. Then after standing in line for 2 hours straight all I was given was a taxi voucher and a little pamphlet about passenger rights with LH contact numbers. The best part is that the voucher was only valid for one specific taxi company whose drivers didn't even bother showing up at the airport. Ridiculous.

I'm still waiting for my compensation and a reimbursement for train tickets which I was forced to purchase since I couldn't wait 24 hours for the same flight the next day. Swiss for instance handle such situations in the professional manner one would expect from a quality airline. You get an ATM card with a 250 Euro credit on it, a 4 star hotel voucher, dinner and breakfast voucher, plus they put you on the next earliest possible flight even with a different airline. Lufthansa is a bunch of incompetent amateurs.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

My flight LH 413 got cancelled last night from Newark because of engine issue while we were about to board the flight. Had to go back to the counter to get a different flight. Being a Business class passenger with gold membership; the agents could not help. Had only 4 people in front of me and the line wasn’t moving at all. Just gave a taxi voucher after made it wrong 3 times and said no flight until 3 days. They had no clue how to handle passengers. If business and first class passengers having this feeling; I can only imagine economy class. Now I am trying for last 2 hours to call 3 different numbers they gave us to book the alternate flights and none of them are working. Some are saying “busy; please call later”; some are not even going through. What a mess. One of the numbers I dialed 1-800-645-3880. Terrible experience.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I bought a ticket from Lufthansa after being directed to their website by Google. My Visa did not arrive in time for my flight and I had to reschedule for a later date. When I went online to suspend my reservation I was presented with 2 choices, Cancel my Reservation or Reschedule my Reservation. I had no assurance if I would have proper travel documents so all I could reasonably conclude was to cancel my reservation and reschedule once I had confirmation for traveling.

A week later, I received an email notification of a refund of taxes for the cancelled reservation. I never asked for a refund much less expected one as I intended on traveling with the next weeks. Once I knew of my travel dates, I called to reschedule my paid-for fare. I was told that the cancellation was a forfeiture of all monies and only the taxes were returned. In my opinion Lufthansa just ripped me off! I ADVISE NEVER EVER BOOK A FLIGHT WITH LUFTHANSA AIRLINE! This is the worse company in the world that games consumers to line the pocket with unethical profits!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

On the evening of 11/20/2017 at 9:46pm EST (this is the timestamp on my email confirmation from Lufthansa), I booked a flight to Morocco for February 2018 through AAA online – The cost was $1,041. AAA then used Priceline to book the flight. The next evening, 11/21/2017, I saw a cheaper flight on Priceline’s website for $982 (total was $1001 including trip protection). Given that I had 24 hours to cancel the flight for a refund, I cancelled the original ticket for $1,041 at 9:28pm EST (this is the timestamp on the cancellation email that I received from Lufthansa) on Lufthansa’s website (selecting the cancel/refund option) and purchased the cheaper ticket on Priceline’s website for $982. My experience when cancelling a ticket within 24 hours is that you can cancel up to 11:59pm the following evening.

I contacted Lufthansa, AAA and Priceline to inquire about the timing to receive the refund. Unbeknownst to me, because I cancelled directly on Lufthansa’s website instead of AAA or Priceline, they will not issue the override for Priceline to issue my refund because according to the representative I was 4 minutes, I repeat 4 minutes, outside of their 24 hour cancellation window. This is untrue based on the timestamp on the emails that I received when I booked and when I cancelled. The manager at Priceline spoke with two representatives at Lufthansa to request an override in order for them (Priceline) to issue my refund because they can see in their system that I cancelled within the 24 hour window. The two representatives at Lufthansa refused and I was told one of the representatives hung up on the Priceline supervisor.

I am very disappointed in Lufthansa’s lack of flexibility to issue the override so Priceline could refund the $1,041, especially since I rebooked the same flight, albeit at a slightly lower cost. The Priceline supervisor also asked Lufthansa to reinstate my original booking for $1,041 (so he could cancel the 2nd booking given it was within the 24 hour window) since the ticket was still considered open and Lufthansa refused. I guess this is how customers are treated when they don’t purchase a $20,000 seat. Unfortunately, I am traveling to Morocco with a friend so I am forced to keep the new ticket for $1001 and lose the $1,041 that I spent on the original ticket. I will never book with this airline again!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Good Day. We are looking for a legal advise from German lawyer on our complaint against Lufthansa under the EU regulation 261/2004 regarding the passengers' rights against denial boarding. I and my husband had purchased online two LH return tickets from Doha (Qatar) to Amsterdam via change of plan in Frankfurt (same terminal). Unfortunately when we came to the boarding desk in Doha two hours before flight schedule the LH boarding staff denied me boarding on the excuse that she did not sign on my Syrian passport and that the German Customs are so strict about that.

We tried to clarify to that staff the following: We both have other US ID which proves our ID and I could sign now. I had used the same passport for many travels before to USA and had no problem. We got the Netherlands visa already on same passport. I have been using this passport in Qatar without problem. We are not going to enter Germany in that flight as we would change the plane in same terminal (No1) within an hour to continue to Amsterdam. We are ready to sign any undertaking to shoulder any responsibility which would result from this if ever happened. We called the LH office in Germany just in front of the staff and the agent in Germany assured us it is not a problem and that she could sign the passport now but the boarding supervisor refused.

He was so rude (he did not even agree to give us the contact number of LH and instead he called security to make us leave the area without any explanation on how to get our refund). We had no choice but to purchase other two return tickets on Turkish Airlines on that night. Actually after we came to Amsterdam we did go by FlixBus to Germany to visit some relatives and the German immigration officers came to bus and checked our passports without any problem.

We sent several complaints to LH and only got a reference ID code on October 12. We even sent complaint to LBA (the German local agency of EU for such issue) and still no answer. We would appreciate if you could advise us on how to pursue our complaint against LH for refund and compensation for the moral and insult we have undergone.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I booked twice with Lufthansa and they cancelled my booking without any notification. ANY NOTIFICATION. I paid using my boyfriend's credit card with enough funds. I called Lufthansa and they told me they cancelled because a problem with the payment, they did not specify which problem was. And moreover, I was allowed to do the check in online, and went to the boarding gate, and I got a big surprise when they did not allow me to board the plane! They made me waste my time, which any monetary compensation can compensate that, because I was in an emergency to get to my country. Lufthansa sucks.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

Terrible! A month and a half ago I bought tickets from Kiev to Dublin on 09/09/17 and back to 21.10.17. I could not fly 9.09 because of work, I bought another ticket. In the end, when I tried to register for the flight online, the site gave an error. I called the support service, and the manager explained to me that my second ticket was canceled! I HAVE NOT RECEIVED ANY NOTICE FROM Lufthansa ABOUT THIS!!! It was necessary urgently to buy a new ticket, which cost 414 €!

At Dublin airport, the boarding began 25 minutes later. From Dublin, I flew (unfortunately!), but the flight was late for 30 (!) minutes. It landed 13 minutes later, but we got into the airport only 20 minutes after the landing. Connect between flights was 1 hour. When I reached the registration gate for the flight, the bus, just closed the doors and I was not allowed on the flight. The officer of the service center said that the nearest flight will be in 12 (!) hours. And, since I had time between flights (as long as 30 minutes to get from one terminal to another and an inspection) THEY REFUSED TO PROVIDE ME THE HOTEL AND FOOD!!! I'm sitting now in an empty Frankfurt airport and "enjoying" a sleepless night, thanks to Lufthansa.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I had a Lisbon Moscow flight with a 10 hours transition in Munich. I missed my first flight and bought a later flight from Lisbon to Munich by Lufthansa for 415 Euro expecting that I will be able to use the second part of my flight, namely from Munich to Moscow. Guess what? They sold my second ticket out and could not give it to me anymore. This is pretty insane. It means that if you don't show up on time at the beginning of your journey all the rest of your journey is not valid and next tickets as well and they can sell your seats in the plane again. No matter if you get to that second plane by either means. The extra money that they made selling your tickets in such case will not be passed to you. As for the staff members who told me all that, there were several of them. But one of them was Jäger ** at München Flughafen.

Today I spent 900 Euro on Lufthansa and I could spent thousands more over the next years but I will not because of this very rude and unprofessional instance. And actually, he told me all that like 15 mins later when the check-out ended. On top of it, before he was "trying to make it work at some other desk". I can only add that I spent so much time on running in the airport and asking who I should ask and why my tickets that were visible in the system at the electronic check-out but cannot be printed.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

As a group of 7, we booked an Austrian Airlines flight to Barcelona in November 2016. In February details of the flight has been changed, a new booking confirmation has been sent to me. We moved to Barcelona last week. Yesterday evening, still in Barcelona, we checked the flight back to Vienna, which should be done by Lufthansa in the original booking confirmation. No booked flight was on the schedule, therefore we contacted Austrian Airlines by phone, got the message, that Austrian forgot to inform, but the guy from call center told us, he has rebooked our group to Air China, everything should be fine.

Early in the morning we arrived Barcelona Airport, no confirmation for our group at Air China! Air China recommended to go to Lufthansa counter. On the Lufthansa counter we met Mrs. **, she was extremely friendly and helpful, called Austrian Airlines in Vienna... and after an hour, Mrs. ** solved our problem and we arrived Vienna a couple of hours ago. Without the support from Mrs. **, coming back to Vienna has not been possible. Thanks Mrs. **. I hope it will be possible, that this will be forwarded to Mrs. ** as well as to her boss.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Got into Lufthansa flight, and due to overbook I received a compensation. NEVER manage to get this compensation until this point, and I claimed it on early July (so it has been almost 3 months. Reduce a bit of processing time, so it's 2 months). The reason being: a) Never got any info from financial department. b) Does not have direct contact number to that said department, only contact via email. c) The sheer volume of email received by them is too much. None of this has anything to do with me. NONE. Please, hire more employee or somebody who can read email carefully. It's an email damn it, how hard can it be to read a bunch of those. Aside from that, the flights that I took were 75% delayed (means that 3 out of 4 flights were delayed). Never fly Lufthansa again.

P.S. This is the usual response from CS, "we hope that you can be patient about this". You must be kidding, no? If 2 months is not patient enough, how long should I be patient for? Try asking yourself if you can be patient if you are not receiving things that should be yours (e.g. salary) for two months. If you can, then I can be more patient.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I have purchased 2 premium economy tickets between Johannesburg and Frankfurt due to departure in November 12th 2015. 2 days before I have checked the reservation online and was saying that the flight had been canceled, therefore we have purchased another ticket with Swiss Airlines as the hotel and other attractions in Paris were not refundable (Nova Passagem 4.pdf). We have only received an email saying the flight was canceled on November 11th due to the strike of Lufthansa (IMPORTANT: Your flight LH573 Johannesburg - Frankfurt/Main, 12.11.2015, 19:40). I have tried to contact the call center to ask for a refund as I couldn't do it online because the card used to purchase the tickets was expired by the time the flight was canceled. I believe that the service center was also on strike, so I left a message on their website (Your requested dated 12.11.2015 10:11.).

While we were already flying to Paris with Swiss I have received another email with a reschedule route through London, however the email arrived after the schedule departure date for the proposed British Airways flight. (Change of Reservation, Departure 12-November2015, **). I haven't traveled to Europe since that day, until January 2017 when I had to attend a business meeting in Germany. So I have restarted my communication with Lufthansa in order to use that amount to issue a business class ticket to Frankfurt. On January 13th I have contacted Lufthansa offices in Luanda Angola (where I work) to try to book the new ticket however I was informed that I should talk to the Johannesburg branch as the original tickets were purchased starting from Johannesburg - This email is in Portuguese (RE: Remarcao de passagem).

On January 17th after going personally to the Lufthansa offices at OR. Tambo International Airport and calling the South African Call center I have email their customer relations department in order to find a solution for my case (Ticket Re-Schedule due to Strike on 11/2015). My business trip couldn't wait for a response so I purchased another ticket for that purpose. I have received on the same day the protocol number to follow up the issue with them (your feedback has been registered under FB ID **). On March 14th I have finally received a feedback saying that no compensatory payment was due and that the ticket couldn't be reschedule because it was expired. (your feedback to Lufthansa, FB ID **).

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I use to have respect for German companies such as Mercedes, BMW, Bosch, etc. because of the high quality of their products, until I have my two encounters with Lufthansa's Customer No Service. My First encounter was very unpleasant when I tried to re-book my flight because they refused to check me in, even though it was not my fault showing up one hour before my flight, after they bounced me from one terminal to the other. Their customer service was unbelievably rude, no support at the airport whatsoever. They treat their customers as if they were ISIS or the devil. I still don't understand that???

My second encounter was about a week ago, my mother traveled from Houston To Tunis with two bags after they switch her flight from Lufthansa to United, one arrived and the other one is nowhere to be found. Lufthansa desk at the airport were of no help unless if you are there to buy a ticket. They could not even call Frankfurt airport and check with the luggage office there, or check the computer to see where was the last time my bag was scanned. All they said was "we don't know where your bag is and we cannot call".

So I decided to call their rude customer no service, and of course all I get is some Filipino rude call takers that have no clue what to do or how to trace anything, and the girl kept telling me that she cannot check anything or call any airport, and that I need a file number in order for her to check the status. After several calls to the customer no service, a ** man answered and was able to create a file number, but no info on where my bag is or anything, all they tell you is "wait 24 hours and check to see if anyone uploaded any info on your bag". A very passive way to do business.

They refuse to tell me where was my bag scanned last, refused to tell me which airport my bag is at. They never apologized for losing my bag or anything.

I was so pissed off at them and their ignorance and disrespect towards their customers to the point that I decided to never ever again book any ticket with them, even if they hand me a free ticket I will throw it on their face and they can shove it. I also decided that Lufthansa represents Germany and the German people. If they are out to disrespect people, I will never allow that, therefore I decided to sell my Mercedes car, and get rid of anything I have that says made in Germany.

I rather buy things from nations that respect people and value their business rather than people who does not give a damn about anybody and think that they are something they are not. Lufthansa it is only a matter of time and you will go out of business. I will never stop telling my story and the bad experience with those dumb customer service personnel and the poor support, and lack of compensation of customer's time and hassle.

German workers are good at demanding their rights and high wages every freaking year, but when it comes to them treating customers, they are careless, and they try to cheat them out of their time, stress, and luggage. Please Please Please do not fly with Lufthansa at any cost, you will regret it, and your luggage will end up lost or damaged because they hire the worst and the cheapest workers from the third world countries, that will disrespect you and will lose and steal your luggage.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

On a flight from Frankfurt, Germany to Boston, the boarding staff was extremely rude, aggressive and racist. I am a ** skinned woman from the Caribbean and my husband is a ** Scottish male. The boarding staff told us we couldn't sit together because they had to separate us to accommodate a family. This is fine and I am understanding of this but when I asked her why they chose us, she said it's because we were two individuals flying together. I told her we were a married couple. She became hostile and kept repeating over and over that there was no way possible we were married. She was belligerent and rude and refused to help us fix the situation she put us in. Terrible.

Original review: July 9, 2017

I did fly on the 5th off July from Philadelphia airport to Frankfort. Then I had a lay over in Frankfort for 14 hrs to be on the flight 1326 to Tunisia that was booked for 9:45 pm and after it got delayed many times we did board the plane at 12:00 am. Well we were on board then we had to leave the aircraft because what they said it's a luggage problem and missing passengers. Well they lied to us because I found out much later that the luggage patrol were on strike in the airport and refused to do any work. Then they asked us to go downstairs to go through the line and get a reservation for another flight for the next day and I was starving. All they gave us is Peanuts and water.

Well after waiting 2 hrs in the line we got the new reservation for the next day at 9:00 am. Then we left in cabs to a hotel that was 30 miles away from the airport and a 10$ voucher to a restaurant that was closed at the time so I starved to death in the room. Got up at 7 am rushed to airport then they canceled on us again. We were waiting from 8 to 12:30 to board then we got stuck again in the plane starving till close to 3:20 because they say it was a problem with the which was a lie again because the strike still on. Well the had to leave the plane because it's a security problem. Well we suffered on board starving till they got us sandwiches. Well I got to Tunis around 4 pm local time. It's absurd. Please give me my money back.

Lufthansa Company Information

www.lufthansa.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business