3.65/5

361 Lufthansa Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 12, 2019

This review is about the preposterous tax policy Lufthansa has in place and its even worse "customer service department". For young teenagers you need to pay the airline tax, and then reclaim it after the flight. Well, this is exactly what I was trying to do, only to get told that I was already paid that after I booked the flight the year before. This was not the case though, as this payment was for a different flight we took the year before. I had subsequent emails, phone calls back and forth, but only on my prompt. One call was to apologise to me and reassure me the money will be paid very soon. That was one month ago. It has now been almost 3 months since the beginning of my complaint, and nothing has been done. It is not only the terrible air tax policy of Lufthansa I am complaining about but also their non existent customer service. Extremely disappointing.

Original review: May 4, 2019

And to think that I was even traveling Business Class...imagine Economy. If you like your flights messed up without notice, travel Lufthansa. If you like to be blamed for Lufthansa's organizational mess-up, travel Lufthansa. If you like to be treated by incompetent yet highly arrogant check-in personnel, travel Lufthansa. If you like to be offended in the process, travel Lufthansa. If you like the check-in rep to proceed your suitcase on the belt without baggage tag, travel Lufthansa. If you like to be misunderstood, travel Lufthansa. If you like NO service level standard at all, travel Lufthansa... Congratulations to Lufthansa for establishing a NEW LOW in air travel service standards.

Upon arrival at the airport, the customer service representative informed me that Lufthansa had apparently rescheduled my flight to a day earlier without any notice. Now it was somehow my responsibility to make sure I could still travel today. The arrogance by the check-in representative was simply unbearable. Travelling Business Class you expect some decency and level of standard. This representative had an attitude that is simply not befitting of personnel that should contribute to the overall travel experience. Just unacceptable.

To add to the amateurish feel, she somehow pushed the button that activates the belt to proceed the suitcase. But she had not yet attached a baggage tag to the suitcase, so she sort of stumbled and hurried after the suitcase on the belt to pull it off. Unsuccessfully of course. Stuff straight out of a slap-stick comedy. Except this was reality with Lufthansa. Result: she had to call a colleague to make sure the baggage tag somehow still founds its way onto my suitcase. 8 hours later and my suitcase has not arrived at its destination. Surprise, surprise. Really, I mean literally every step of the entire customer journey was perplexingly disappointing. Never again Lufthansa. Not even if they paid me.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 3, 2019

For an airline that had been considered fairly solid, they completely are impossible to get in touch with once they opt to cancel a flight (or in our case two). ~ The EU requires them to pay passengers 600 Euros due to flight interruptions or cancellations that result in a delay over so many hours. My daughter's school music trip had not one but both of their Lufthansa flights cancelled and they rebooked them 30 hours later on the outbound and 45 hours later on the return (but required them to stay at the airport hotel unless something else came available). ~ Trip from Hell, but they continue to add insult to injury by not being responsive and when they finally do "respond" they come up with lame rationale like ~ "Due to privacy issues we cannot speak to anyone but the passenger" ~ even though the passenger is a minor in both Canada and the EU as she is only 15.

Fine, let's make a claim under her name. ~ Oops. "The website is not able to "validate" the entry". Please try again, or get in touch with our technical support". Been on SILENT Hold for 25 minutes. What do you think the chances of them answering the phone are?? Travel agent is useless as they too say there is not a phone number anywhere that is available for customer service issues. I've sent e-mails to their online Customer Service e-mail address, but no response. Please, please choose someone else. ~ Anyone else is better than this airline that ignores their customers and makes it impossible to reach them. I'm about ready to find their local "offices" and show up.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Hi, I cancelled my ticket on 2nd April (Chennai to Toronto) with Lufthansa Airways, till today my money is not back to my credit card, first they said 20 days, 2nd time they said 25 days and now they want me to wait more, also first time agent told me to contact my credit card company which I did contact my CC company and they clearly said it is not their fault and I should contact the merchant. Still unable to rebook my tickets as I am waiting for the refund, very bad refund policy, don't know why they are taking this long for a simple cancellation and refund.

Original review: April 27, 2019

My husband and I were traveling to Beirut on April 4, 2019 with a stopover in Frankfurt. Once we arrived at the check in counter in Toronto the agent told us we no longer have seats on the flight and our credit card had just been reimbursed that day. We were shocked as we had just received an e mail the day before with our itinerary.

So now we are confused and anxious as the agent had to call the New York office because she told us they DO NOT issue tickets out of Toronto. So basically they gave away our seats and we now can't buy new ones here in Toronto only in NY. She was not kind, or sympathetic just telling us she is on hold (with a flip phone) and we may not make it on the flight. We booked this flight back in October, we picked our seats and paid extra for them. She was a terrible representative of Lufthansa and kept telling us there is nothing she could do.

As we are waiting and waiting the flight is now boarding and we still don’t have seats as we are waiting on New York? This went on for an hour. This seemed crazy! Eventually she gets us seats and we had to re-buy the seats at a higher cost. We still had 3 more flights left with Lufthansa Frankfurt- Beirut and returning back to Toronto from Beirut to Frankfurt. The staff everywhere were unfriendly and rude. And food was terrible too. Never again!!! My husband and I travel a lot and we have never experienced anything like this before.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lufthansa?

Original review: April 25, 2019

I would like to warn my fellow travelers about choosing Lufthansa as your chosen airline when flying abroad. I have been to hell and back courtesy of this chaotic, rude and incompetent company. It is my intention to make my case known so you don’t have to go through what I did. My next stop is the FAA, BBB and the media. I ordered flights online using Lufthansa website on April 20th. Outrageously, due to THEIR system glitch, I was given no reservation code. There were no flights booked, nothing!! However, my credit card was charged immediately and the amount was over 10K. Long story short, I called them and no one was able or willing to locate the sale.

Eventually I was told that the sale was found but cancelled. No apologies. No attempt to rebook the flights and compensate me for 5 (yes, five) hours I wanted talking to the outsourced impatient agents who love hanging the phone on you. I got a message on my phone from one of the agents. The funds would be refunded and the hold would be removed in 24 hours. Last Monday I called and spoke to a supervisor who said these “things” happen. He repeated I would have the funds back in my credit card and that he would talk to their accounting department. When that didn’t happen, I called back on Tuesday. I tried every number in my possession. First the number that left a message (no name was given). I got a bunch of people telling me I called the “wrong place”. No further explanation!

I then called the customer service line, reservations, and even the America’s CEO Sharon Murphy in NY, where no one answers the phone and there is no way to leave a message if you get a fax line. After many attempts to speak to someone, anyone (a few reps refused to talk to me as I lacked a reservation code but I was never given one!!), one of staff was overly extremely nasty lying that Lufthansa never took my money! I told her I have screenshots of my credit card charges and she went on ignoring that. She also claimed the bank took my money, not Lufthansa. To this moment Lufthansa has not released the funds. None of my emails to customer service and Sharon Murphy CEO were replied to. So now think: if this is how they treat their customers, how do they handle your security? The planes? Problems while abroad? This pathetic airline has a culture of disorder and ducking calls. No one takes responsibility for anything.

My experience was one of disarray and indifference bordering THEFT. The charges now are in DISPUTE. I recommend to my fellow travelers to never trust Lufthansa. I can only assume that company is on the verge of bankruptcy. I was treated in the most deplorable way. They lack basic integrity. We booked new flights, NOT with Lufthansa. We will stay home if we have to and never use that despicable company. Be warn that they will STEAL your money and provide nothing in return. It’s really that surreal. It’s really that Kafka like. It’s really that obscene. It’s really that substandard. If you value your peace of mind and hard earned money, do not fly Lufthansa. To this moment when have not been refunded for the flights I booked and got canceled, without reason, by Lufthansa.

Original review: April 12, 2019

The inflight meals in their long-haul flights are the worst that I have ever tried. No water bottle is provided at all, the bun is dry as hell, no salt/paper or dressing for their tasteless as ** food and salad. Absolute disappointment and please keep in mind that I love airplane food. No more Lufthansa since they are below average on many aspects compared to other airlines in Star Alliance.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Customer service in Frankfurt, Germany is absolutely horrendous! After getting rebooked to Lufthansa from a cancelled United flight while in New Delhi. Leaving Delhi at 3am the ladies at the ticket counter were rude and very unhelpful. My wife’s grandfather passed away while on our way to the airport. Seeing that they offer bereavement options we were hopeful to ask. The ticket counter had no clue what we were talking about. Once through security we sought out help from the gate agent. She was pleasantly helpful and make arrangements that would help my wife get home to her family in this time of extreme pain.

We board our flight to Frankfurt and arrive late to the gate. We run through the entire airport (easily over a mile). Knowing the flight from Delhi was late and has many passengers boarding to Chicago the flight wasn’t held for even 5 minutes which would have helped 20+ passengers. After getting to the gate at 10:48 where we were told they closed boarding at 10:45. We were directed to the service center to get rebooked. Still hopeful this is where the absolute worst flying experience truly begins. Knowing there are flights arriving late due to airspace issues in the Middle East you would think they would have the extra staff ready to help their customers. Well, that’s anything but the thought of Lufthansa airlines.

We arrive at the service center to find 3 agents “working” with 15+ people waiting in the queue. Well all three agents were at one computer helping 1 person. This was 10:50. We get in line and notice this is going to be bad. While in line we watched the three employees turn to 1 within seconds. 15 minutes later a second agent comes to their desk. After taking off her jacket applying her lip gloss and making small talk with the agent next to her 5 minutes later she’s ready to take the first customer. The two ladies begin to move passengers through with about a 12 minute service time (yes I timed it with a stop watch).

35 minutes later a third agent makes his way in. Now approaching 45 mins we see the first agent take her break while there is easily 45 now anything but happy customers waiting to hear their flying fate. Another 15 minutes goes by a manager type person comes and send the back of the line to a second service desk that is empty with more counters! Are you kidding me!!! The people waiting for 10/15 minutes go to a second desk that the customers waiting over an hour were never told about. They were instructed to go while the front of the line those waiting longest wait for the extremely slow agents.

One hour and 42 minutes later we make it to the desk to be told there’s nothing they can do. She will have to stay overnight and fly out tomorrow to a destination close to the desired one (Austin TX not San Antonio). Now I’m having to take my flight and leave my wife in Germany with no bags, no clothes, no nothing! She’s rebooked to United for the next day. She is informed to go see the United counter to get tickets. While there the United agent notices the Lufthansa agent made multiple mistakes with her booking and was able to get her on a flight later that evening and to her family to help cope with their loss.

The next morning told she would have to recheck her bags. My wife find thee different agents at the airport to whom all tell her a different local to go to. Baggage claim was closed. Ticket counter with only 2 employees (while knowing they have many rebooks from day before). And yet again a United agent is able to help assist her. The United agent who literally was eating breakfast when my wife asked for help. She got up from eating and immediately went to work. Never will I fly Lufthansa again! I will be sure to contact every social media site and review post possible to ensure people not to make the mistake by using your airlines. Avoid the headache and avoid Lufthansa like the plague!

Original review: April 6, 2019

I'm a very seasoned traveller and Lufthansa have been my worst airline experience. Crap customer service with lies and no ownership of issues. Closed my flight within 10 minutes of boarding time with no announcements or last calls, with 15 minutes left. No staff at the gate so I had to go back to the staff at the customer service desk near check in - who said that they didn't actually work for Lufthansa but were only representing them and could do nothing to help me - then lied to me to send me off. Compelled me to buy my own ticket then CANCELLED my return ticket because I was a "no show". Refused to reinstate it and took no ownership by telling me to call Lufthansa in the country of purchase. I hate Lufthansa. Things happen while travelling. I have always known other airlines to work with you. United have been wonderful always. Lufthansa do nothing to help and are AWFUL. I will never fly them.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Skip to bottom if you just want a short summation, but read the whole thing if you want to understand how Lufthansa is OK with losing a customer for life. Preface: This review is based on booking and customer service. I canceled before our flight. I am very disappointed in the lack of ethics and disregard for customer satisfaction. Luftansa plays by their own set of unfair rules.

I booked a trip to Catania Sicily from Boston. This trip was for my honeymoon, and was supposed to take place the days after my wedding. I booked tickets for myself and my fiance. I wasn't sure what to put for my fiance's last name because of the short time frame after our marriage and name change process. So I booked her ticket with her last name as well as mine. I called Lufthansa a couple weeks later to check if the booking name would be a problem and I was that the name has to match the passport so I would need to take off my last name of her ticket. I was told I could do this by emailing a picture of her drivers license and passport.

After not hearing back after I sent the email I called to follow up. I was told that a name change would not be possible and I would have to cancel her ticket and rebook. In the process of rebooking they could not guarantee price or seat selection. So not only would I have to most likely pay more, but I wasn't guaranteed sitting next to my wife on our honeymoon. I was told they could delete two letters off a name, but not anymore. I feel it is a simple mistake that could be remedied by hitting the delete button five times instead of two. They were adamant that there was nothing that could be done. I was on the phone for over an hour, talked to the supervisor and put on hold multiple times. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but they canceled my original flight and added another stop to our flight. I was told we would be compensated for that flight. Was all this a way for them to avoid that reimbursement?

For those who want the short and sweet: I booked my honeymoon trip three days after my wedding. I booked my fiance's ticket with my last name. Was later told the name has to match the passport. Was told to email picture of the passport and license and should be OK. Followed up and was told they could only edit two letters and I would have to cancel and rebook without guaranteeing price or seat selection. I would have to pay more and possible not sit next to my wife on my honeymoon. This also takes place the months before my flight so there isn't a time constraint to process the name change. Needless to say we're both flying Air France now.

Original review: April 2, 2019

My father's brother was facing difficult last several weeks back home. He had his colon removed, fought cancer, only to end up having kidneys shut down. My dad bought a ticket in November of 2018 to go back home, well before any of this started. Today he received a letter from the doctor urging him to come and visit his brother one last time before he passes away...we translated this letter to Lufthansa. Only to be told "sorry that's unfortunate your ticket is restricted from any changes" (even if that means paying extra for the change). This is so sad, and ugly for such a wealthy company to do. I hope when you are all in need to say goodbye to your most immediate loved one, that you are told the same and forbidden to do so. It's such a shame, I would have never believed that Lufthansa could be this unethical. I'll never fly with you again, and I will spread this word for as long as I live.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I am writing this for my grandparents, who flew with Lufthansa to their destination. While at their destination, my grandfather developed a lung infection immediately after arrival, and was hospitalized for 3 months. They were scheduled to return in 1 month, but they had no choice but to cancel or reschedule their flight. Because of his condition, it was not known when he would be able to fly again, if ever. And while Lufthansa initially promised to waive the cancellation fee on a partial refund, with a note from the doctor, they changed it to giving us a 1 time change fee waiver only, with the change being required to be made prior to the originally scheduled departure flight.

With no other choice available, they changed their flight and pushed it 1 month out. My grandfather passed away, and not only did Lufthansa not waive the fee, they only refunded $65.63 on each $1,320 round-trip ticket. When called to ask as to why the partial refund is so low, all the representative could tell me was that the refund terms were subject to the determination of the ticketing department, and that he could not provide any more information.

My concern is not about the compensation amount, but rather, Lufthansa's lack of transparency in their pricing practices, and unwillingness to fulfill their own obligations, as promised. If they don't want to waive the $300 cancellation fee for a deceased passenger, they should at least honor it by providing the correct partial refund amount. Furthermore, their customer service representatives are unable to provide any help, and only further increase this lack of transparency, as they make their ticketing department to be this secretive entity in the sky that can only be reached through them via email, and will only respond as they deem necessary, and not as requested by the customer.

You should avoid this airline if you expect compassion, or at the very least some consistency and transparency in their own contractual obligations in pricing and cancellation policies due to illnesses or other unforeseen events. Either that, or get a really, really, really good travel insurance policy with booking a flight on this airline! They, of course, do not offer you the option for one.

Original review: April 1, 2019

They sold a return flight from London to Tehran for a British student, now they are refusing the return leg because they say you cannot return to the UK with a British passport with validity of 4 1/2 months! This is a blatant lie - you can return any time to your own country. When asked where this rule is (it is not on the UK website and he is allowed to stay for studies in Iran until then by the Iranian government who would not issue a Visa without the proper passport validity), they refuse to say. They just say, "If you want to come back on that date that you have already bought, you have to go and buy the ticket again!"

Original review: March 16, 2019

I booked a flight since October 2018 from Toronto to Frankfurt and then to Tehran, today a couple of hours before flight we realized that flight because of technical issue canceled! And then we had booked for Turkish flight, we went to the airport to get another European flight because I have low back pain and I can't sit for a long time and in Turkish we have to sit in the flight for almost 12 hours or more!! I explained it to the lady in the Lufthansa gate but she just told there is no other flight for today!! It is very bad that you are not ready for this kind of situation!

Original review: March 13, 2019

Warning: The so-called upgrade from economy to premium economy does not include the luggage allowance of premium economy. Only the seat itself. We read the directions on how to upgrade over and over and never saw this small caveat written in small print in one of the subsections. The information was buried so deep it took 5 Lufthansa staff 20 minutes to find it. We've upgraded many times before and have never come across this. If Lufthansa is going to do something like this, it should be clearly stated up front, so that the customer knows what they are purchasing. Otherwise, it is right on the border of false advertising. We ended up having to pay $473 in additional baggage fees. Fool us once, but never again. We won't be using this airline.

Original review: March 6, 2019

We family of 3 traveled from Denver to Frankfurt and from there to Mumbai. Our flight got delayed by 1 and half hour from Denver to Frankfurt and due to that we could not board the connecting flight from Frankfurt to Mumbai. The service at Frankfurt airport was just horrible by Lufthansa ground staff. As soon as we came out of the flight we ran to the other gate which was really too far (From Gate Z to Gate C) but still we reached there about 45 mins prior to the flight took off for Mumbai. But the ground staff did not let us board the plane even though the plane was there and there were about 30 passengers. After the plane left we were waiting for the ground staff to put us on the other flight but they did put half of the passengers on other flight going to Delhi and told us to go to the front desk of Lufthansa to figure out what we have to do.

The front desk was about 45 mins walk from the gate and I had a 6 month pregnant women with me and a 3 year old child. I asked the airport staff to provide me a buggy which was standing at the gate, but instead they said, “We cannot.” And I requested them couple times that I have a pregnant women with me and a small child and in return they said, “Why are you travelling with a pregnant women?” I could really not think of that from any country people. There is no such rule that you cannot travel with a pregnant women. After walking for 45 mins we reached the front desk of Lufthansa and after standing in a line for an hour the lady on the front desk says to me, “We cannot give you any flight. Who told you to come at this desk.” They are very rude people I must say.

Later after explaining to her all the situation she said, “We can give you a next day flight" which was 24 hrs later. I asked her if she can please provide me a hotel to stay for that night and she straightly refused by being racist that, “You are an Indian and we cannot provide you any hotel to stay.” That is really wrong what she did. That time I got mad and I showed her my US passport. Later then she agreed to provide us the hotel only because I was a US citizen. I have traveled in most of the airlines all over the world but never faced this kind of issue where the airlines make the mistake by delaying the flight and still they do not want to provide any help to the passenger. I would not recommend anyone to travel with this airline if you really want your travel to be relaxing and not a pressure to you.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Found myself on my return flight from Hamburg to Vancouver with Lufthansa. Boarding was at first refused because of an expired Permanent Residence Card. After much begging and explaining about my medical condition I was given two boarding passes to Munich and my connecting flight to Vancouver. Just made it to the flight, but was refused again, despite my valid boarding pass. My suitcase was removed from the plane. I was stranded in Munich for 6 days and got absolutely no help from the Canadian Consulate. My return was through Seattle where I was picked up by my family. The crossing into Canada, where I have lived uninterrupted for 40 years, was no problem at all.

To show no resentment about not letting me fly I bought my ticket (inclusive obligatory return from the US) from Lufthansa again. Once in Vancouver I informed Lufthansa, that they could now use my return portion, without asking for compensation. The fact that I was first allowed and then refused led to major expenses I would not have had, had I stayed in Hamburg with family. Lufthansa totally and arrogantly sticks to my PR card expiry while it is my complaint to first issuing the boarding pass on humanitarian and compassionate grounds sending me off and away from my family, but then refusing without any other reasons as had been dealt with already. I was no danger to staff or passenger, made no fuzz or any form of disturbance.

Question then: once cleared should I have been refused. That failing, I strongly believe Lufthansa made a mistake by sending me off just to be refused under much worse circumstances. I have not asked for financial compensation but was willing, as a sign of peace, to accept an offer of two return tickets as Lufthansa has made money on my first and second return ticket. Even my letter to Mr. ** at headquarters Germany remained unanswered to the very point and I was informed the matter to be closed.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I am a conditional Green Card holder in USA. I applied for REMOVAL of CONDITIONS in Nov, 2018 and received an Extension Letter (notice of action) that states that my green card is extended for another 18 months. I booked a round trip flight with Lufthansa from Los Angeles to Istanbul with transit pass in Frankfurt. I traveled to Istanbul via Frankfurt with no problem. I only changed terminals in Frankfurt. So, did not go through customs, passport etc. When it was time for me to return home in a week to the USA, Lufthansa didn't allow me to board to the Frankfurt plane.

They stated that my extension letter was not recognized in Germany. They told me that if I had a VALID visa or green card, I would have no problem. What! I explained them that the letter is a proof of my permanent residency. It was the original Notice of Action letter. Regardless how much I explain, they wouldn't board me because "Germany did not recognize my letter, but if you book a direct flight to the USA, you would be fine" So, I missed my flight, had to buy a direct flight for the same day via another airline, waited at the airport for 12 hours. Incurred damages financially and emotionally. I am pursuing legal action against them.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

August 2018 my sister and I booked a flight from Toronto to Greece but we had a problem with our tickets. Before we submitted to purchase the ticket online we double checked our information to ensure all are correct so we won't have any problems but when we received the ticket by email the ticket have only my sister's name and it's doubled. We called customer service after and they have ensured us that we will be able to refund the money since it was done within 24 hrs but 5 months after here we are, my sister still keeps going back and forth with them and the bad thing is they don't respond quickly especially when it is time sensitive. Due to lack of the progress on their end we have lost the $2k + for the ticket and the interest rate just keeps getting higher. All we wanted is the refund and a peace of mind since it's been 5 long months.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Lufthansa used to be my go-to airline even when I worked for a certain "5 star", top rated Skytrax airline, I would always use, recommend and speak highly of Lufthansa. HOWEVER, their new fare paradigm which includes economy and "premium economy" and less than competitive fares has me jaded. Now, on to my recent experiences. I have not been delayed (another point for Lufthansa, I am often even early) neither would I be ignorant enough to complain about delays or other common issues which would arise in the industry. I was living in Europe and dealing with their customer support, but now that I am back in the US I am stuck speaking with Mexicans or Indians, very, very incompetent and poor English speaking Mexicans and Indians. They do not seem to be trained in even the basics, even unable to read a seat map. All I can do is facepalm at the service US customers get.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

It surprised me to read several reviews here that bear significant resemblance with my last experiences in check-in. Long story short Lufthansa airline let customers reserve flight that they cannot fly without any particular and significant alarming during reservation or after that. And finally take their passengers by surprised at the counter and offer them only one solution, to reschedule and pay much more to fly!!!

Reading these reviews and facing the same issues at the check-in in an international airport myself where at the same time there were at least three people like me with exactly the same problem to flight, convinced me that it was intentional dirty and irresponsible approach of a so-called largest European airline who knowingly chooses to practice it and does nothing to prevent it effectively. These nonchalant and irresponsible long practices and dirty game is a shame on this company to taking advantages of the customers at their most venerable time during their flight. I don't recommend this line, they are mercenary cooperate with intention to take advantages of their customers.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I purchased a ticket from Lufthansa in November for a February flight for my husband. He had some unexpected circumstances at work, and had to cancel the flight 45 days prior. As we asked for refund they told us that the ticket was non-refundable and we won't get our money back. Nobody notified us of this when we purchased the ticket. There must have been a small print that was made in order to not be noticed. This company is a scam. Beware! They stole $740 from us.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Attached herewith is the ticket booked online and we had reached Bangalore safe. During our return we both were denied boarding the flight LH755 from Bangalore to Frankfurt due to Schengen Visa not stamped, but my final destination is Newark (EWR) and we were just transiting via Munich for a connecting flight. We were forced to rebook the tickets with a price difference of INR 51200.00 per person or portray ourselves as “No Show”. The customer care at the boarding center were not ready to do the cancellation from their end. Why should I be rebooking the tickets when I am holding confirmed booking status tickets for all the sectors.

The LH customer support at the Kempegowda International Airport-Bangalore were unprofessional to the core and by no means trying to help us in any way. The staff particularly Ms. **, Ms. ** and Mr. ** from the check-in counter and the ticketing counter Ms. ** and Ms. ** did not handle the situation appropriately. By the time I could walk from the boarding counter to the ticketing counter they call each other in front of my wife and were saying on the phone “Do not talk much and just rebook them”.

We went to the counter at 11:30 pm and they made us to stand for nearly 2:30 hours until 2:30 am without giving us any explanation. None of the customer care numbers or toll-free numbers are working. We demand an explanation for putting us through so much of mental agony and compensate for the time, money and the pain it took us through this ordeal at the airport. I have been traveling for years and never have been through such a situation ever. Please help us with the refund of the ticket amount.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Lufthansa'a counter service is deplorable. On our flight from Philadelphia to Europe, we had checked in and printed boarding passes online. At the airport in PHL, as well as Lisbon, for our return, no one was working at the bag check counter. We waiting in line in Lisbon one hour to check our bags and get a wheelchair. Lufthansa is not living up to our expectation of German efficiency!

My friend was supposed to have wheelchair assistance, also. They told her that it was not on her reservation, so there was nothing that they could do. When my wheelchair assistant arrived, he said that she was scheduled for assistance, but no one had called to request it for her. Shame on your employees for ignoring the needs of flyers who are most in need!

In Frankfurt (our layover), both counter personnel that were extremely rude. One agent who was standing there after the flight to Seattle had boarded told me that she was going off duty, that I should address my questions regarding handicap-assistance to the next gate attendant, it wasn't her problem. The next gate attendant was approached by a man as soon as she showed up, and she yelled at him that she had just gotten there, hadn't even turned on her computer, and he should, "LOOK AT THE BOARD!" I have never experienced nor witnessed such rudeness and lack of concern for travelers' concerns and well-being ever before. I assure you that I will post these comments online, and that I will never fly your airline again.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

On a flight back from New York had my knees up watching a movie to suddenly have my knees slammed numerous times by a flight attendant and told that the person in front is entitled to recline their chair. I will never fly with this airline again nor recommend them. They are very ignorant and not very nice people.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Flights were fine but customer service was seriously lacking. We were initially delayed in Chicago for a day due to weather conditions. We confirmed with (and were assured by) Lufthansa staff that our baggage would arrive with us in Belgrade before we left on our Chicago flight. After a layover in Frankfurt we finally arrived in Belgrade. Of course, our luggage did not arrive as initially confirmed. We talked to airport staff and expressed our concern as our wedding attire was in the luggage and we were having our ceremony the following weekend. After dealing with airport staff we were sent home and told we would be contacted when our luggage arrived.

Three days later we were told our bags had showed up but due to customs we would have to drive the 3 hours back to Belgrade to retrieve them. After another day of our trip lost and a few hundred dollars in gas, tolls, and customs fees, we finally had our clothes. When we returned to the US we filed a claim for the hardship and money lost due to their delays. We have been going back and forth for a couple months now with an endless string of emails requesting that we submit more and more documents and receipts and whatnot. What a nightmare this has been dealing with their customer service team. This should be a simple case with some financial consideration for losing our luggage for 3 days. Very disappointed and hesitant to fly with them again.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

My wife and I had a trip booked 7 mos in advance. Due to an unexpected cancer treatment, we were unable to take the trip out of the country. My wife required a medical procedure and had documentation from the doctor. Lufthansa said we had to rebook within 24 hours ($300 change fee per ticket), or the tickets were a total loss. Amex got involved, but could still only get limited vouchers. Amex said under the circumstances most airlines would provide a refund. I will never use this airline again, and cannot recommend them to anyone based on this experience.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Our family of 4 were supposed to travel to Madrid on Saturday Nov 17th. At the counter we were told the flight was overbooked and they were looking for volunteers. They gave us the spiel of $800 each for the without agreeing, Frida tagged our bags, “just in case” and told us to think about it and will talk to us at the gate and confirm.

When we get to the gate we are called and told we are “good”. No one speaks to us and no one gave us anything. We decide to decline and go ahead with our travel plan unaware that they had already given up our seats. Pierre, the agent whom we told we were not volunteering, all of a sudden didn’t remember talking to us nor did Frida. We were traveling as a family and with younger teens and we wanted to sit together as originally booked. They tried to hurry us thru and give us separate seats. We refuse and we are bumped off. All this time, their supervisor, the only real Lufthansa employee named Renee is there not addressing the situation, claiming she was running traffic inside the plane for us to board.

This airline is the most unprofessional, incompetent bunch of anythings I have ever encountered in my life. No one, absolutely no one was saying a word while I asked questions. Renee explained that front desk and gate agents are third party contractors who are obviously not equipped nor trained to address these situations. Maybe she should have stepped on in??? As far as I am concerned, this guy Pierre and his supervisor Helen aka Moma are Lufthansa employees. Lufthansa will always overbook their flights and will rely on these type of deceptive techniques to absolve themselves. Bottom line, we lost a day in Madrid and spent the night in their hotel of choice— Comfort Inn.

This company should not be allowed to continue to do business in the US. This is exactly what is wrong with the airline industry and this has to stop. This is absolutely the worst travel experience we have ever had. The gate agent was not fluent in English and although that is not a crime, misrepresentation should not be acceptable. I feel we were misled, cheated, disrespected by every single Lufthansa personnel we dealt with today. Shame on this airline and I will surely be bringing this up with every consumer agency in California. This company is embarrassment. I will never ever fly with this airline ever. Avoid this airline if you can!!!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

First, I was flying with a family member and a lap infant, the seats which were assigned were just random and didn't take into account that we have an infant with us. Second, only one meal was provided between Frankfurt and Atlanta (about 10 hours flight). I had to do some change on the return flight for a family member. I dealt with the worst customer service in the air flights business, they hung up on me and refuse to be any useful to help with the issues. Also got charged $400 to add an infant lap ticket. Bottom line me and my family will not do business with Lufthansa again, stay away from such terrible customer service airline.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

The worst airline. Bought 2 business r/t tickets. Lost luggage on return trip. Took 3 hours to reach baggage tracing. Got rep who I could not hear or understand. Was told they could not find luggage. Was not on the online website. Finally, was told it was on Monday flight. I was on the previous Sat. flight. Delivered 2 AM Tues. Tried to make a complaint and speak to someone. Was told by their travel agent line that Lufthansa does NOT speak to customers. A lot of money spent to be treated like cargo. Southwest Airlines is better. Don't fly Lufthansa with baggage checked.

Lufthansa Company Information