3.8/5 (486 ratings)

About Lufthansa

Lufthansa Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lufthansa?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lufthansa?

Original review: June 27, 2022

I haven’t even started my flight and I’m feeling the pain of horrible customer service. I booked my flight months in advance with upgraded seats. 5 days prior to travel my flight gets canceled. They rebook me on British Airways who is threatening strikes. I have to call the customer support number for hours because the call center is over loaded and you can’t get through to them and calls drop. They canceled over 3000 flights that day. After being on hold for well over an hour, I was able to move my flight back on Lufthansa but they couldn’t assign me seating? How do you bump your customers with assigned seats and not give them the courtesy of allowing them to select their seats at the time of rebooking when the airline caused the rebooking. This Airline is horrible at customer service. Fly at your own risk.

Original review: June 26, 2022

Clients flying LH had their flight from FRA to FLR cancelled one day prior to departure 24 June. LH replaced the flight with one to Bologna with a 12+ hr wait in between. Horrible and to add insult to injury, LH did not load any bags of ANYONE and told passengers to file missing bag report online which was impossible! They were up 36 hours without rest! What a nightmare that is continuing! Calling LH is worthless as LH says they are busy and to call later. Click!

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 25, 2022

My daughter purchased a ticket through Lufthansa to fly from Raleigh/USA to Prague on May,16th and return on Jun,25th. The outbound of the journey was as expected, but when she went to the airport in Prague to return to the USA on Jun,25th she was told her name was not on the system. She has a confirmation email with the confirmation code and flight details. She was on time, ready and willing to board on Jun,25th but denied by Lufthansa. She was told by Lufthansa that she has to make a change in her ticket to fly on Jun,26th and pay and additional $900 for the pleasure to spend all day at Prague airport stressed and hungry. Lufthansa's agent misled her selling a ticket for Jun,26th, and then, without consent changed the ticket for Jun,28th. It took hours to find anyone to speak to at Lufthansa just to be told she could not cancel the Jun,28th flight and no refunds would be issued.

I have spent 8 hours on the phone trying to contact Lufthansa's customer service phone 1 800 645-3880. The full day there is an automated message informing that all representatives are not available, asking customers to call later and disconnecting. My daughter is in Prague on her own, she has no place to stay, we paid an additional $900 for a flight that was already fully paid. Lufthansa is quick to get your money and then there is NO CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE whatsoever if you need to speak with anyone. Don't ever fly Lufthansa, customer service is non-existent.

Original review: June 24, 2022

I will not fly Lufthansa ever again. I understand luggage can sometimes not make connecting flights but not being able to talk to anyone, on hold for 2 hours to talk to someone who in the end can't tell me anything different than what is online, get accurate and timely information, and the lack of anyone caring is unacceptable. My daughter will spend the next 5 weeks in Italy and Austria without her suitcase because it is now being sent back to the US and not delivered to her hotel as requested. Her trying to purchase items to replace what was lost is a nightmare.

The bag arrived in Rome 4 hours later. She sat at the airport waiting, only to be told it hadn't arrived which in the end was wrong and that it was on the flight. We did not find this out until four days later when her dad was flying out of Dallas and decided to see if anyone there could help. We thought by some luck she could get her suitcase only to receive an email that same day that it was being sent back to the US. The other frustration was this was a United flight operated by Lufthansa. Would United help in any way? No. Disappointed in United and will think twice about using United but definitely will not fly Lufthansa.

Original review: June 19, 2022

Flying from Venice to Griffith. Flight from Venice to Frankfurt was late to arrive then delayed. Sat other plane for 40 mins before I moved. Seat leg room uncomfy. I expressed concern over connecting flight. Flight attendant indifferent. Told me I'd get assistance at the airport. Once at Frankfurt the place was deserted. Unable to contact Lufthansa. All service desks closed. We walked around for 4 hours. 1 passenger had a hypo from the stress walking around. No food drink..10 days later still my reply or contact from the company. We were abandoned, ignored, disregarded, stressed, anxious, scared. No assistance or communication.. and financially inconvenienced.

Original review: June 16, 2022

My wife and I recently returned to Los Angeles from Paris on Lufthansa. The flight had a tight connection in Frankfort and our luggage missed our flight. Upon arriving at LAX on June 8th, we had an email from the airline indicating the luggage would be put on the next available flight. The next day we received communication from Lufthansa that our belongings at arrived at 3 PM at LAX and that we could either pick it up or have it delivered. We chose delivery due to the distance from the airport.

We received another communication shortly thereafter stating the baggage was picked up by a company called Direct Courier Services at 9 PM. Direct Courier Services communicated to us that our luggage would be delivered by 11.30 PM that evening or first thing in the morning. No luggage was delivered at either stated time. The next day, upon checking Lufthansa's website for misplaced luggage, they indicated that the luggage had in fact been delivered. The Direct Courier link said "Melissa" delivered my luggage to our home just past 11 PM and that I had signed for them. At this point the Direct Courier Services link disappeared and I was unable to contact them. We called Direct Courier Services - one phone number, no answer, voicemail was full. But finally we were able to get through. Once the man who answered found out we were looking for our luggage, he promptly hung up.

We then drove to the Direct Courier Services address we found on Google. It was behind a steel security fence and locked gate. As we were trying to contact Direct Courier Services we concurrently were attempting to contact Lufthansa via email, phone and through the Find my Bags website. While using the email for Lufthansa and the Find my Bag website, we got the same computer generated response asking for more information. We provided the information and got the same request. Again.

When I called the customer service number each time it was at least a 40 minute wait before being connected to a call center in the Philippines. Each time, I was informed they could not help because my bags were delivered according to their information. When I asked to speak to someone who could help me I was transferred into the void.

We turned our baggage over to Lufthansa on their own volition they gave our possessions to their agent, Direct Courier Services. At this point Lufthansa completely abandoned us and took no responsibility for the missing luggage. I found 27 reviews for Direct Courier Services. 26 of them were one star. It was about a fifty-fifty split. Half of the comments believed the company was inept and the other half believed it was being operating as a criminal enterprise.

At this point we filed a police report. Of course the police could care less. Our next action was to take legal actions to compel Direct Courier Services to produce our belongings. Our attorney wrote a demand letter, which was is required prior to filing our lawsuit. The demand communication was received by Direct Courier Services around 8 PM. Direct Courier Services calls us within minutes and our luggage was delivered a few hours later. It makes we wonder why Lufthansa took such a hands-off approach to helping us when the entire problem was caused by their carelessness of using such a disreputable vendor as Direct Courier Services.

We vacation in Europe several times a year and since the demise of our preferred carrier, Norwegian, we are going to be using Lufthansa. I wonder why an airline which is so well-run and does such an outstanding job in almost all areas of their business would allow their LAX operations to use a company like Direct Courier Services. A simple 2-minute check of their reviews should tell anyone that this is an organization no one would contract with.

The second thing I wonder about is why no one in Customer Relations would believe us when we said our luggage was still missing. A simple call from a Lufthansa official to Direct Carrier Services would most likely product the same results as our threat of a lawsuit without the attorney fees and we would not have spent the six days of effort it took in order to retrieve our luggage. Even a well managed company like Lufthansa has areas that need improvement.

Original review: June 14, 2022

On the 9th of June we, have flown with Lufthansa from Sydney to Bucharest stopping in Singapore and Frankfurt. At arrival in Bucharest one of our luggage failed to arrive in Bucharest. After a 27 hours flight, we had to waste another three hours on the airport to queue to register the lost baggage. Never mind the time lost by the people waiting for us at the airport. While in the lost luggage office, we received an email from Lufthansa saying that the luggage was delayed and will be dispatched to us at an address of our convenience. They gave us the tracking number and we filled the forwarding address for the luggage. But then after 3 days, the tracking stopped without notice and we lost the trace of our luggage. Last it was seen in Frankfurt we believe.

Now, there is no one to contact and the lost luggage office in Bucharest states that there is not much they can do. They advised us to wait and call them every day. But this hope for the best approach is not what we expected from a company like Lufthansa. In the luggage, we had also vital medicine so now we have to waste time and money for doctors' consultations and medicine. We could not believe that we have these problems with such a reputed company as Lufthansa. Now we are afraid we'll have the same problems on our way back to Sydney.

Original review: June 12, 2022

An absolute mess from beginning to end. Round trip from Lyon to Nuremberg through Frankfurt, of the 4 flights not one was on time and my baggage was lost both ways. I returned on Friday evening, it is now Sunday and my baggage still hasn't been delivered, and any information concerning the delivery I have I had to go fish for myself calling any number I could find.

Arriving to Frankfurt on the first trip we learned that there was no personnel to disembark us so we were stuck on the plane for half an hour and almost missed our connecting flight. On the return the first flight was delayed (of course) so we had to sprint in Frankfurt airport to make the connecting flight. Only one person in Nuremberg to manage check-ins, not enough personnel to manage on board catering. I heard Lufthansa has already cancelled over a thousand flights this summer but clearly they are still unable to manage the remaining ones.

I won't be flying Lufthansa again if I can help it. I would rather take a more complicated or expensive flight path and be sure that my flights will be on time and that I will find my luggage on arrival at my destination. I seriously can not believe that an airline, especially such an old and established one, could be this incompetent and lost.

Original review: June 7, 2022

On 26th May I was to board your plane from DXB to FRA to PTY. My last destination was Grand Cayman Islands since I hold a work permit with Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman, I had my ticket from Dubai to Grand Cayman Islands, the first ticket was with Lufthansa airline from Dubai to Panama, I had actually sent an email previously to the Germany embassy in Kenya that will transit in Frankfurt and I believed it was ok, I shared with them my travel itinerary and within few minutes they responded with a positive e-mail that it was okay. I can indeed transit in Frankfurt as a Kenyan. I arrived at the desk around 20:30hrs. Your team led by Mr. ** and the duty manager Mr. ** verified all my papers work and documents. This is after several minutes the lady at the desk told me she had to call the right team to verify and that was okay.

After like 30 minutes ** confirmed that all was 99% correct only that he needed to verify with his colleague. This was in A very friendly tone, They went ahead and requested me to log into the digital portal of Grand-cayman that issued me Certificate to travel for some confirmation that they needed and I did so, ** took my phone and went with it to ** for further confirmations. They interrogated my phone and after 4-5 minutes they handed it back to me, after like 3 minutes ** asked the lady at the desk to hand me my papers that I do not qualify to transit in Frankfurt, With all the shock I tried approaching them since this agent lady has no reason at all, I asked ** why am I not able to Transit to Frankfurt, this will cause so much loss on my side considering that I might even lose my job, he told me in a harsh voice that there was nothing he can do. The decision has been made.

I asked both of them please explain what is the main reason behind this? I don’t understand, ** said it's because of asylum, he didn't even pronounce the word correctly. I asked him to pronounce again, he repeated, I asked what does this word mean? ** could not explain and at some point he asked me in a harsh tone, "Are you recording me?" I asked him, "Why would you imagine that I am recording you?" I placed my phone on the agent's table to prove I had no intentions of recording or taking a video, well ** the duty manager said this word meant that I will enter in transit then cross to German inside destroy my documents, I asked him, "Why would I do that?" With ** standing there he said lots of people from our race do this and currently the situation is hard for them to control.

I pulled out the email from the German Embassy in Kenya and tried showing **. He refused even to just have a look, I told them prior to my journey, I had contacted German Embassy in Kenya and they had clearly responded to my e-mail that so long as it's transit in Frankfurt I am allowed, all landed in deaf ears however ** took a minute and looked at the e-mail. After my frustrations and talking with them ** confirmed a full refund will be issued and told me to try checking with Turkish airline. They have a flight at 3am… I was so in easy, I begged him to help me to book the ticket. He said, "No I can just direct you but you need to do this by yourself," I rushed to check with Dnata counter but unfortunately there was no flight available with Turkish airline, whatever was available was business class and AED 4000, The Dnata guy advised me there was several seats with KLM.

I told him prior to booking KLM let me check if they will allow me to board and transit in Amsterdam {Kenyans are allowed to be on transit} I went to KLM desk, as I was explaining myself to the Duty manager again ** appeared and asked them not to allow me that I am not allowed to step in Shengzen countries, I felt so frustrated. Honestly I felt for the first time ever discrimination I have never experienced anywhere, well I gave up. I went back to **. I borrowed his card and told him I have tried all means. It's not possible so the only option I have I will book the next Kenya Airways flight. I go home in tears and he said ok. He couldn’t do much, He told me he had added a remark in my booking that they will refund my booking full price, I thanked him for everything and left Lufthansa counter, I went sat next to KLM desk and did a booking for kenya NBO.

This was the place I felt comfortable and I needed some peace of mind, I would go back to Dubai yes but I had given out all my things knowing that I was relocating to Cayman Islands, My house had been rented to a new tenant from 26th May, 2022, I even jokingly asked my landlord and I have all communications, what if I have to come back and you have already given out my room? I have till 31st, the guy said that it’s ok. I will definitely get a place for you, don’t worry. My UAE visa was to be due on 27TH May 2022. I was in the grace period, so there was no way I would go back to UAE, I would even commit suicide out of pure stress, I decided to book the next flight to Kenya which was at 6:55hrs with Kenya Airways, am now home where at least I am and it even gave me some inner peace.

I tried calling Lufthansa team in Nairobi to explain myself however no one answers, I managed to catch them on chats after several attempts, Geena finally confirmed that I could used the ticket to rebook my flight, I gave her the new dates I wished to travel and she confirmed it was ok, she even called from Germany to get the credit card details for charging extra amount which was the difference, I gave Geena my card details and she confirmed all was ok that she will share the new ticket details shortly in my gmail, after hanging up I waited and waited. I never saw the confirmation, I went back to the charts. I found an update that automated itself that my booking is not eligible for a rebook, this was just a shock, but why? Anyhow I concluded that Lufthansa had flagged me maybe so what about my refund?

In the same evening, I received an apology email from **, why is he apologizing? I concluded it's because he was aware of how they mistreated me. Anyhow I had to quickly change the flight from PTY to GCM because it was for 27TH May 2022, I have the flight tickets, just moving the date costed me extra USD 181. The hotel booking I had booked in Panama for a stay during my layover was not refunded neither did the hotel responded to my plea of moving the booking. It was about USD 24 for 1 night. The flight I now booked from NBO to PTY has costed me USD 1990. I have all invoice with me, was this really necessary? I have all documents in case anything is required. I do NOT wish anyone to undergo such frustrations ever, it was traumatizing.

Original review: May 31, 2022

I booked a multicity ticket on Expedia and paid the amount. This itinerary involved four legs three involving United and one with Lufthansa. While booking I got the seat numbers in all the three united flights. For the one leg on Lufthansa I was asked to contact Airlines. Nowhere it was mentioned that I had to buy only Premier economy to get the seat number. When I contacted Lufthansa I was informed that I need to pay $400 to get the number in advance. Otherwise it will be allocated at the check in. This is so ridiculous. When United gave new seat numbers why Lufthansa wants me to pay 400$ just for one leg.

Some airlines may charge 30$ or so which makes sense. But demanding $400 and change entire ticket is ridiculous. Expedia should have known that and should have informed while booking. Fortunately I contacted inmediately within 24 hrs and could cancel. The passengers should be careful while booking ticket on Expedia with Lufthansa. Just for information of all passengers. Warning to passengers.

Lufthansa Company Information