3.68/5

Looking for a travel site?

Lufthansa

Looking for a travel site?

368 Lufthansa Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I bought a ticket in Lufthansa. I need to buy a second bag but the page did not allow me to do it, I call the number 08000263696, they never answer. I was online waiting 35 minutes, so I decided to buy the ticket and pay the excess online after the purchase. When I have the booking reference number I tried to pay but, it was a message that is impossible to do it online, and gave me the same number. We need to call them and pay at the phone. So I called the number again, wait for more than 40 minutes in the line. Finally AHUL answered and after many apologies for no be able to tell me everything clear and quick he told me that the system don't allow to pay the luggage in advance. He advise me to take the luggage to the airport and pay in there.

I read a lot review about that and everybody said the same: if you don't pay in advance, once you get the airport they charge you a ridiculous amount of money. I decided to cancel the booking, now they said that I have the money back in 10 days. What they do is tricking passengers, they don't allow people to pay online or by the phone for the excess because they wanted to take more and more money for passengers.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

Took a biz class from London to Madrid 22 days ago. One large duffel Kipling bag went missing. Lots of items, most brand new, some custom made insoles and other recently purchased gifts, not all replaceable. It has been very long 23 days, and so far none of Lufthansa rep bothered to contact me. I filled out report, got PIR number, traveled to the airport to check a different bag, call daily, sent emails to customer relations, to CEO, to Customer Service, and many others. No reply, no call.

I submitted full details of the items in the baggage, not sure if was received. No idea about claim procedure, or reimbursement, as none is 100% clear. It seems that they make it hard to claim in purpose, harder to contact in purpose, avoiding passengers and just ignoring the situation. I have been flying with many airlines for the past 20 years, nearly 1.5M miles, have gold status, and never encountered such lack of service. In one word, zero. My suggestion: don't fly with a company whom don't provide after flight service. You may be in my shoes and feel the pain. Avoid them in all costs.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 27, 2019

Flight was booked for deploying member with orders. Arrived to check in and not permitted on flight due to military gear. Completely ridiculous. Horrible company and completely uncooperative. Disgraceful.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I paid for a Premium overseas flight from Lufthansa. The flight was both delayed and I was involuntarily downgraded to economy class. Then Lufthansa denied this happened despite me providing them my boarding pass/seating assignment which proves they did. I have now had over 10 correspondences with Lufthansa on this matter this flight from Frankfurt to Boston. Lufthansa told me they would compensate me for the flight delay €600, I provided all the banking, personal identification information they requested and they have failed so far to provide the compensation for the flight delay they agreed to.

While finally boarding the flight, Lufthansa assured me once I returned, all I had to do was submit the claim for compensation and I would be compensated for both the delay and the involuntarily downgrade. They haven’t delivered on either of these promises. They provided me with the EU rules on passenger rights prior to boarding and during the delay. Secondly, Lufthansa is insisting I was not involuntarily downgraded from Premium Economy seat to Economy which I paid for which is not true. Premium Economy was overbooked and I was downgraded involuntarily to Economy as shown on my seat assignment.

This flight 5,893 kilometers. Here is my confirmed itinerary where I paid for Premium Economy ticket on this 7 hour flight. I experienced the following. Since I experienced a delay exceeding 3 hours for a flight exceeding 3,500 kilometers, this entitles to compensation for this according to EC Regulation 261/2004/EC. Since I experienced an involuntary downgrade in service class, this entitles to compensation for this according to EC Regulation 261/2004/EC.

Original review: June 25, 2019

I have been trying every day for the past week to book flight reservations to and from Germany and USA. I have used three different computers and three browsers, all to no avail. I called their web help hotline and got runaround three times. Finally on fourth call, reached Koln, and got run around until I demanded that THEY try the booking. Was told that they too could not get it to go through. They gave me a LHPROD waiver number and said they couldn't re-book, but call reservations to have them book over the phone and give me credit for the phone up-charge. Called LH reservations FIVE times and each time was a different location, none of which were in Germany or USA. Each time, they botched the reservation, and had I not followed up early the next day all info and bookings would have been lost.

Finally on the SIXTH try, got someone to re-book AGAIN and confirm that the reservation and the charging to my credit card went through. I have complained three times already about this to LH customer service, and have only gotten back a form letter, with NO acknowledgement about the problem/s, solving them or any consideration by Lufthansa of my plight. I advise all travelers to avoid using Lufthansa like the plague!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lufthansa?

Original review: June 19, 2019

Lufthansa provided me with a nightmare of a trip in May 2019. They cancelled my flights without informing me. They damaged my luggage. They did not even provide refreshments for an overnight stay. Was I just supposed to dehydrate? They cost me more money on my car rental due to a cancellation of pickup in Munich and then trying to get a car in Frankfurt after I was eventually rebooked there.

The anxiety and level of stress that I had because of Lufthansa is just ridiculous!!! And then they still have the audacity to tell me there is no compensation? Seriously? Damaged Luggage? No Refreshments? Extra charges I paid because of their cancellation? Overnight in a foreign country where I don't speak the language and the Lufthansa staff are just the most unhelpful people you can find on the planet! DO NOT BOOK LUFTHANSA! USE ANOTHER AIRLINE!!! LUFTHANSA DOESN'T CARE ABOUT ITS PASSENGERS!!! I would not recommend the airline to anyone!

Original review: June 13, 2019

I went through a terrible customer experience in re-booking my flight. I had a need to move my return flight to September (booking code - **). I tried to do it online and I was unable to do so with an error in the website and it asked me to contact service center for rebooking. I talked to 2 persons from customer service (almost 30 minutes each call). They mentioned that it is taking time so that they can calculate the additional charges. On Jun 06, the agent gave me an option to pay 3k additional to move the flight to Sep 3 (including change fee). They confirmed the change in date over the call and took the credit card details from me. They mentioned that their re-booking team will process the payments.

At this point I as a customer was told that the ticket is re-booked and it is pending payment. I was never told there is another team that verifies and make corrections, etc. As a customer I shouldn’t care about such things/process that is internal to Lufthansa. I was told the additional fee and I gave the credit card details for payments. The website internally showed be new date for the return flight. It did not show any indication that it is still pending processing. I was traveling to India on Jun 9. 5 days later, on Jun 11 I got an email that they were trying to reach me urgently. I called back from India and I was told that the agent who talked to me earlier made an error in the calculation and I had to pay 7k for rebooking the flight. This was a pretty surprise and it is very unfortunate that I learn about that 5 days later.

I replanned all my trips based on the new return date on Sep 3. Now paying additional 4k puts me in a difficult situation. I told them this is un-acceptable and asked to escalate further and gave my India number for a call back. I didn’t get any call on Jun 12. On Jun 13, I spent an hours talking to different persons and finally reached the supervisor. He was willing the waive the change fee of about 1200 dollars. But that is still not enough for the pain I am going through as a customer. If I was told the correct fee on the first day (Jun 6), I would have found other cheaper options in other airlines. Now I am in a situation where I have spend more dollars to stick to Sep 3 or I have lost 8 days and incur more cost to find other options.

As a customer, I didn’t find this situation very un-acceptable. Here clearly the fault is with Lufthansa and they should have helped me as customer for the mistake they made. Rather they are just covering it with waiving off the change fee. I am sure I will eventually figure out something but to me Lufthansa has completely lost my trust and I have been pushed to the limit that I will never ever use Lufthansa ever again. Thank you.

Original review: May 12, 2019

This review is about the preposterous tax policy Lufthansa has in place and its even worse "customer service department". For young teenagers you need to pay the airline tax, and then reclaim it after the flight. Well, this is exactly what I was trying to do, only to get told that I was already paid that after I booked the flight the year before. This was not the case though, as this payment was for a different flight we took the year before. I had subsequent emails, phone calls back and forth, but only on my prompt. One call was to apologise to me and reassure me the money will be paid very soon. That was one month ago. It has now been almost 3 months since the beginning of my complaint, and nothing has been done. It is not only the terrible air tax policy of Lufthansa I am complaining about but also their non existent customer service. Extremely disappointing.

Original review: May 4, 2019

And to think that I was even traveling Business Class...imagine Economy. If you like your flights messed up without notice, travel Lufthansa. If you like to be blamed for Lufthansa's organizational mess-up, travel Lufthansa. If you like to be treated by incompetent yet highly arrogant check-in personnel, travel Lufthansa. If you like to be offended in the process, travel Lufthansa. If you like the check-in rep to proceed your suitcase on the belt without baggage tag, travel Lufthansa. If you like to be misunderstood, travel Lufthansa. If you like NO service level standard at all, travel Lufthansa... Congratulations to Lufthansa for establishing a NEW LOW in air travel service standards.

Upon arrival at the airport, the customer service representative informed me that Lufthansa had apparently rescheduled my flight to a day earlier without any notice. Now it was somehow my responsibility to make sure I could still travel today. The arrogance by the check-in representative was simply unbearable. Travelling Business Class you expect some decency and level of standard. This representative had an attitude that is simply not befitting of personnel that should contribute to the overall travel experience. Just unacceptable.

To add to the amateurish feel, she somehow pushed the button that activates the belt to proceed the suitcase. But she had not yet attached a baggage tag to the suitcase, so she sort of stumbled and hurried after the suitcase on the belt to pull it off. Unsuccessfully of course. Stuff straight out of a slap-stick comedy. Except this was reality with Lufthansa. Result: she had to call a colleague to make sure the baggage tag somehow still founds its way onto my suitcase. 8 hours later and my suitcase has not arrived at its destination. Surprise, surprise. Really, I mean literally every step of the entire customer journey was perplexingly disappointing. Never again Lufthansa. Not even if they paid me.

Original review: May 3, 2019

For an airline that had been considered fairly solid, they completely are impossible to get in touch with once they opt to cancel a flight (or in our case two). ~ The EU requires them to pay passengers 600 Euros due to flight interruptions or cancellations that result in a delay over so many hours. My daughter's school music trip had not one but both of their Lufthansa flights cancelled and they rebooked them 30 hours later on the outbound and 45 hours later on the return (but required them to stay at the airport hotel unless something else came available). ~ Trip from Hell, but they continue to add insult to injury by not being responsive and when they finally do "respond" they come up with lame rationale like ~ "Due to privacy issues we cannot speak to anyone but the passenger" ~ even though the passenger is a minor in both Canada and the EU as she is only 15.

Fine, let's make a claim under her name. ~ Oops. "The website is not able to "validate" the entry". Please try again, or get in touch with our technical support". Been on SILENT Hold for 25 minutes. What do you think the chances of them answering the phone are?? Travel agent is useless as they too say there is not a phone number anywhere that is available for customer service issues. I've sent e-mails to their online Customer Service e-mail address, but no response. Please, please choose someone else. ~ Anyone else is better than this airline that ignores their customers and makes it impossible to reach them. I'm about ready to find their local "offices" and show up.

Lufthansa Company Information