1.03/5
Are you this business? Claim your page

348 Lufthansa Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 16, 2019

I booked a flight since October 2018 from Toronto to Frankfurt and then to Tehran, today a couple of hours before flight we realized that flight because of technical issue canceled! And then we had booked for Turkish flight, we went to the airport to get another European flight because I have low back pain and I can't sit for a long time and in Turkish we have to sit in the flight for almost 12 hours or more!! I explained it to the lady in the Lufthansa gate but she just told there is no other flight for today!! It is very bad that you are not ready for this kind of situation!

Original review: March 13, 2019

Warning: The so-called upgrade from economy to premium economy does not include the luggage allowance of premium economy. Only the seat itself. We read the directions on how to upgrade over and over and never saw this small caveat written in small print in one of the subsections. The information was buried so deep it took 5 Lufthansa staff 20 minutes to find it. We've upgraded many times before and have never come across this. If Lufthansa is going to do something like this, it should be clearly stated up front, so that the customer knows what they are purchasing. Otherwise, it is right on the border of false advertising. We ended up having to pay $473 in additional baggage fees. Fool us once, but never again. We won't be using this airline.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 6, 2019

We family of 3 traveled from Denver to Frankfurt and from there to Mumbai. Our flight got delayed by 1 and half hour from Denver to Frankfurt and due to that we could not board the connecting flight from Frankfurt to Mumbai. The service at Frankfurt airport was just horrible by Lufthansa ground staff. As soon as we came out of the flight we ran to the other gate which was really too far (From Gate Z to Gate C) but still we reached there about 45 mins prior to the flight took off for Mumbai. But the ground staff did not let us board the plane even though the plane was there and there were about 30 passengers. After the plane left we were waiting for the ground staff to put us on the other flight but they did put half of the passengers on other flight going to Delhi and told us to go to the front desk of Lufthansa to figure out what we have to do.

The front desk was about 45 mins walk from the gate and I had a 6 month pregnant women with me and a 3 year old child. I asked the airport staff to provide me a buggy which was standing at the gate, but instead they said, “We cannot.” And I requested them couple times that I have a pregnant women with me and a small child and in return they said, “Why are you travelling with a pregnant women?” I could really not think of that from any country people. There is no such rule that you cannot travel with a pregnant women. After walking for 45 mins we reached the front desk of Lufthansa and after standing in a line for an hour the lady on the front desk says to me, “We cannot give you any flight. Who told you to come at this desk.” They are very rude people I must say.

Later after explaining to her all the situation she said, “We can give you a next day flight" which was 24 hrs later. I asked her if she can please provide me a hotel to stay for that night and she straightly refused by being racist that, “You are an Indian and we cannot provide you any hotel to stay.” That is really wrong what she did. That time I got mad and I showed her my US passport. Later then she agreed to provide us the hotel only because I was a US citizen. I have traveled in most of the airlines all over the world but never faced this kind of issue where the airlines make the mistake by delaying the flight and still they do not want to provide any help to the passenger. I would not recommend anyone to travel with this airline if you really want your travel to be relaxing and not a pressure to you.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Found myself on my return flight from Hamburg to Vancouver with Lufthansa. Boarding was at first refused because of an expired Permanent Residence Card. After much begging and explaining about my medical condition I was given two boarding passes to Munich and my connecting flight to Vancouver. Just made it to the flight, but was refused again, despite my valid boarding pass. My suitcase was removed from the plane. I was stranded in Munich for 6 days and got absolutely no help from the Canadian Consulate. My return was through Seattle where I was picked up by my family. The crossing into Canada, where I have lived uninterrupted for 40 years, was no problem at all.

To show no resentment about not letting me fly I bought my ticket (inclusive obligatory return from the US) from Lufthansa again. Once in Vancouver I informed Lufthansa, that they could now use my return portion, without asking for compensation. The fact that I was first allowed and then refused led to major expenses I would not have had, had I stayed in Hamburg with family. Lufthansa totally and arrogantly sticks to my PR card expiry while it is my complaint to first issuing the boarding pass on humanitarian and compassionate grounds sending me off and away from my family, but then refusing without any other reasons as had been dealt with already. I was no danger to staff or passenger, made no fuzz or any form of disturbance.

Question then: once cleared should I have been refused. That failing, I strongly believe Lufthansa made a mistake by sending me off just to be refused under much worse circumstances. I have not asked for financial compensation but was willing, as a sign of peace, to accept an offer of two return tickets as Lufthansa has made money on my first and second return ticket. Even my letter to Mr. ** at headquarters Germany remained unanswered to the very point and I was informed the matter to be closed.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I am a conditional Green Card holder in USA. I applied for REMOVAL of CONDITIONS in Nov, 2018 and received an Extension Letter (notice of action) that states that my green card is extended for another 18 months. I booked a round trip flight with Lufthansa from Los Angeles to Istanbul with transit pass in Frankfurt. I traveled to Istanbul via Frankfurt with no problem. I only changed terminals in Frankfurt. So, did not go through customs, passport etc. When it was time for me to return home in a week to the USA, Lufthansa didn't allow me to board to the Frankfurt plane.

They stated that my extension letter was not recognized in Germany. They told me that if I had a VALID visa or green card, I would have no problem. What! I explained them that the letter is a proof of my permanent residency. It was the original Notice of Action letter. Regardless how much I explain, they wouldn't board me because "Germany did not recognize my letter, but if you book a direct flight to the USA, you would be fine" So, I missed my flight, had to buy a direct flight for the same day via another airline, waited at the airport for 12 hours. Incurred damages financially and emotionally. I am pursuing legal action against them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lufthansa?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

August 2018 my sister and I booked a flight from Toronto to Greece but we had a problem with our tickets. Before we submitted to purchase the ticket online we double checked our information to ensure all are correct so we won't have any problems but when we received the ticket by email the ticket have only my sister's name and it's doubled. We called customer service after and they have ensured us that we will be able to refund the money since it was done within 24 hrs but 5 months after here we are, my sister still keeps going back and forth with them and the bad thing is they don't respond quickly especially when it is time sensitive. Due to lack of the progress on their end we have lost the $2k + for the ticket and the interest rate just keeps getting higher. All we wanted is the refund and a peace of mind since it's been 5 long months.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Lufthansa used to be my go-to airline even when I worked for a certain "5 star", top rated Skytrax airline, I would always use, recommend and speak highly of Lufthansa. HOWEVER, their new fare paradigm which includes economy and "premium economy" and less than competitive fares has me jaded. Now, on to my recent experiences. I have not been delayed (another point for Lufthansa, I am often even early) neither would I be ignorant enough to complain about delays or other common issues which would arise in the industry. I was living in Europe and dealing with their customer support, but now that I am back in the US I am stuck speaking with Mexicans or Indians, very, very incompetent and poor English speaking Mexicans and Indians. They do not seem to be trained in even the basics, even unable to read a seat map. All I can do is facepalm at the service US customers get.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

It surprised me to read several reviews here that bear significant resemblance with my last experiences in check-in. Long story short Lufthansa airline let customers reserve flight that they cannot fly without any particular and significant alarming during reservation or after that. And finally take their passengers by surprised at the counter and offer them only one solution, to reschedule and pay much more to fly!!!

Reading these reviews and facing the same issues at the check-in in an international airport myself where at the same time there were at least three people like me with exactly the same problem to flight, convinced me that it was intentional dirty and irresponsible approach of a so-called largest European airline who knowingly chooses to practice it and does nothing to prevent it effectively. These nonchalant and irresponsible long practices and dirty game is a shame on this company to taking advantages of the customers at their most venerable time during their flight. I don't recommend this line, they are mercenary cooperate with intention to take advantages of their customers.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I purchased a ticket from Lufthansa in November for a February flight for my husband. He had some unexpected circumstances at work, and had to cancel the flight 45 days prior. As we asked for refund they told us that the ticket was non-refundable and we won't get our money back. Nobody notified us of this when we purchased the ticket. There must have been a small print that was made in order to not be noticed. This company is a scam. Beware! They stole $740 from us.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Attached herewith is the ticket booked online and we had reached Bangalore safe. During our return we both were denied boarding the flight LH755 from Bangalore to Frankfurt due to Schengen Visa not stamped, but my final destination is Newark (EWR) and we were just transiting via Munich for a connecting flight. We were forced to rebook the tickets with a price difference of INR 51200.00 per person or portray ourselves as “No Show”. The customer care at the boarding center were not ready to do the cancellation from their end. Why should I be rebooking the tickets when I am holding confirmed booking status tickets for all the sectors.

The LH customer support at the Kempegowda International Airport-Bangalore were unprofessional to the core and by no means trying to help us in any way. The staff particularly Ms. **, Ms. ** and Mr. ** from the check-in counter and the ticketing counter Ms. ** and Ms. ** did not handle the situation appropriately. By the time I could walk from the boarding counter to the ticketing counter they call each other in front of my wife and were saying on the phone “Do not talk much and just rebook them”.

We went to the counter at 11:30 pm and they made us to stand for nearly 2:30 hours until 2:30 am without giving us any explanation. None of the customer care numbers or toll-free numbers are working. We demand an explanation for putting us through so much of mental agony and compensate for the time, money and the pain it took us through this ordeal at the airport. I have been traveling for years and never have been through such a situation ever. Please help us with the refund of the ticket amount.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Lufthansa'a counter service is deplorable. On our flight from Philadelphia to Europe, we had checked in and printed boarding passes online. At the airport in PHL, as well as Lisbon, for our return, no one was working at the bag check counter. We waiting in line in Lisbon one hour to check our bags and get a wheelchair. Lufthansa is not living up to our expectation of German efficiency!

My friend was supposed to have wheelchair assistance, also. They told her that it was not on her reservation, so there was nothing that they could do. When my wheelchair assistant arrived, he said that she was scheduled for assistance, but no one had called to request it for her. Shame on your employees for ignoring the needs of flyers who are most in need!

In Frankfurt (our layover), both counter personnel that were extremely rude. One agent who was standing there after the flight to Seattle had boarded told me that she was going off duty, that I should address my questions regarding handicap-assistance to the next gate attendant, it wasn't her problem. The next gate attendant was approached by a man as soon as she showed up, and she yelled at him that she had just gotten there, hadn't even turned on her computer, and he should, "LOOK AT THE BOARD!" I have never experienced nor witnessed such rudeness and lack of concern for travelers' concerns and well-being ever before. I assure you that I will post these comments online, and that I will never fly your airline again.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

On a flight back from New York had my knees up watching a movie to suddenly have my knees slammed numerous times by a flight attendant and told that the person in front is entitled to recline their chair. I will never fly with this airline again nor recommend them. They are very ignorant and not very nice people.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Flights were fine but customer service was seriously lacking. We were initially delayed in Chicago for a day due to weather conditions. We confirmed with (and were assured by) Lufthansa staff that our baggage would arrive with us in Belgrade before we left on our Chicago flight. After a layover in Frankfurt we finally arrived in Belgrade. Of course, our luggage did not arrive as initially confirmed. We talked to airport staff and expressed our concern as our wedding attire was in the luggage and we were having our ceremony the following weekend. After dealing with airport staff we were sent home and told we would be contacted when our luggage arrived.

Three days later we were told our bags had showed up but due to customs we would have to drive the 3 hours back to Belgrade to retrieve them. After another day of our trip lost and a few hundred dollars in gas, tolls, and customs fees, we finally had our clothes. When we returned to the US we filed a claim for the hardship and money lost due to their delays. We have been going back and forth for a couple months now with an endless string of emails requesting that we submit more and more documents and receipts and whatnot. What a nightmare this has been dealing with their customer service team. This should be a simple case with some financial consideration for losing our luggage for 3 days. Very disappointed and hesitant to fly with them again.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

My wife and I had a trip booked 7 mos in advance. Due to an unexpected cancer treatment, we were unable to take the trip out of the country. My wife required a medical procedure and had documentation from the doctor. Lufthansa said we had to rebook within 24 hours ($300 change fee per ticket), or the tickets were a total loss. Amex got involved, but could still only get limited vouchers. Amex said under the circumstances most airlines would provide a refund. I will never use this airline again, and cannot recommend them to anyone based on this experience.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Our family of 4 were supposed to travel to Madrid on Saturday Nov 17th. At the counter we were told the flight was overbooked and they were looking for volunteers. They gave us the spiel of $800 each for the without agreeing, Frida tagged our bags, “just in case” and told us to think about it and will talk to us at the gate and confirm.

When we get to the gate we are called and told we are “good”. No one speaks to us and no one gave us anything. We decide to decline and go ahead with our travel plan unaware that they had already given up our seats. Pierre, the agent whom we told we were not volunteering, all of a sudden didn’t remember talking to us nor did Frida. We were traveling as a family and with younger teens and we wanted to sit together as originally booked. They tried to hurry us thru and give us separate seats. We refuse and we are bumped off. All this time, their supervisor, the only real Lufthansa employee named Renee is there not addressing the situation, claiming she was running traffic inside the plane for us to board.

This airline is the most unprofessional, incompetent bunch of anythings I have ever encountered in my life. No one, absolutely no one was saying a word while I asked questions. Renee explained that front desk and gate agents are third party contractors who are obviously not equipped nor trained to address these situations. Maybe she should have stepped on in??? As far as I am concerned, this guy Pierre and his supervisor Helen aka Moma are Lufthansa employees. Lufthansa will always overbook their flights and will rely on these type of deceptive techniques to absolve themselves. Bottom line, we lost a day in Madrid and spent the night in their hotel of choice— Comfort Inn.

This company should not be allowed to continue to do business in the US. This is exactly what is wrong with the airline industry and this has to stop. This is absolutely the worst travel experience we have ever had. The gate agent was not fluent in English and although that is not a crime, misrepresentation should not be acceptable. I feel we were misled, cheated, disrespected by every single Lufthansa personnel we dealt with today. Shame on this airline and I will surely be bringing this up with every consumer agency in California. This company is embarrassment. I will never ever fly with this airline ever. Avoid this airline if you can!!!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

First, I was flying with a family member and a lap infant, the seats which were assigned were just random and didn't take into account that we have an infant with us. Second, only one meal was provided between Frankfurt and Atlanta (about 10 hours flight). I had to do some change on the return flight for a family member. I dealt with the worst customer service in the air flights business, they hung up on me and refuse to be any useful to help with the issues. Also got charged $400 to add an infant lap ticket. Bottom line me and my family will not do business with Lufthansa again, stay away from such terrible customer service airline.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

The worst airline. Bought 2 business r/t tickets. Lost luggage on return trip. Took 3 hours to reach baggage tracing. Got rep who I could not hear or understand. Was told they could not find luggage. Was not on the online website. Finally, was told it was on Monday flight. I was on the previous Sat. flight. Delivered 2 AM Tues. Tried to make a complaint and speak to someone. Was told by their travel agent line that Lufthansa does NOT speak to customers. A lot of money spent to be treated like cargo. Southwest Airlines is better. Don't fly Lufthansa with baggage checked.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I purchased a tour through Santa Rosa Junior College's Community Education Department and the flights were booked with Lufthansa. Keeping in mind that this was my first trip abroad and first passport stamp. I flew out of SFO (San Francisco) to Berlin, via the stop in Frankfurt. Our flight from Frankfurt to Berlin went fine until we arrived to retrieve our luggage and waited for more than an hour. As I'm traveling solo, and I barely know two women from my town as the only people I felt comfortable to talk to, I come to find out that our luggage was never loaded on in Frankfurt, and that our plane which we flew had immediately turned around and immediately left the Berlin airport. Our tour guide said we'd be driven to the hotel and have an update later.

I checked into my room, took a nap, and went downstairs to the orientation meeting. Found out there was no update. The tour manager gave me a website to file a Delayed Bag Report. I tried using the computer in the Business Center where the software is woefully outdated (hello Windows Vista). Exhausted and wearing the same clothes, I went to sleep with the intent of getting help filing the complaint since I was the only one on the tour whose luggage was still missing. I got to the Business Center after breakfast, and the computer is still giving me trouble, that I asked the tour manager to complete it, as I had no luck. An hour later, the form is completed. But as stores are closed on Sundays, there was no way to purchase replacement clothes, shoes, toiletries, etc.

We leave Berlin Monday morning to continue to Prague, and still no news about my suitcase. Keeping in mind that we'd be moving on every two days of the tour, we were constantly in transit to our next destination. Fast forward to Thursday: September 27, 2018: I get a text from my fiance back home that my suitcase was FedExed back to California and left on our front porch!

I went to alert the tour manager that I would have to skip the day tour in Vienna - our only day there since I needed to take a Viennese transit system to a mall to do the shopping. In other words, I forfeited participating in a tour because I had little choice since I obviously needed a new suitcase and new clothes etc. I made it back in time for the dinner planned. Luckily I had trip insurance included in the tour price, so the liaison at SRJC emailed me to state that I should buy what I need and get reimbursed after the trip. But who's going to compensate me for my loss of a tour in Vienna because I had to make the best of a bad situation, directly as a result of your actions?

So the trip continued, and I flew KLM to Dublin for a week. My return flight was Friday, October 12' 2018, via Munich to SFO. Besides the obvious question - why would I be going east to Munich and then backtrack 3+ hours to get to SFO? It made for a very long day. Yes, my replacement suitcase made it to SFO, but here's the real issue: Why would you, Lufthansa baggage handlers, not take the time and do your due diligence and find out that I'd be in Berlin until Monday? My suitcase had a strap around it with the name of the tour company, it had my luggage tag from the tour company, and you could still manage to FedEx my suitcase to California while my tag has my PO BOX address on it?

Secondly, I arrived at around 3 pm Saturday, and staying in town until Monday morning. It didn't occur to you to contact the tour company to trace the bag? Additionally, why were you in such a hurry that it warranted using FedEx and again, only having my PO Box address attached to said luggage and you're able to find my physical residence although I moved there less than 6 months ago? In any event, you messed up big time. I finally had the opportunity to travel to Europe for the first time, and the first use of my passport, and you not only messed up once, you compounded the problem by not being proactive in getting my luggage back to me, and caused me to have to wear THE SAME clothes from Friday to Thursday and you took the lazy route and just shipped my bag back home where I'm obviously wasn't.

You couldn't be bothered to do your job correctly and not cause me all the discomfort and inconvenience that I dealt with; if the rest of the reviews posted are any indication, I'm not the only one to question your business ethics. What was most disappointing is that back around March, I suffered a stroke. It was relatively minor except for no driving, but I worked my butt off in physical and occupational therapy so I'd be well enough to take this trip. It was my motivation. You took my first memory of traveling abroad and left it with an asterisk. I managed to salvage some energy and fun in Ireland. But after the rocky start of my trip and your apparent indifference to fixing a mistake and staying in contact with the passenger tells me to take my business elsewhere for my next trip to Europe.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I had a flight to Brazil on 10/12/2017 with a connecting flight in Frankfurt, and when I arrived at Dublin Airport the lady at the desk said my flight had been cancelled. She told me that she had sent me an email to inform me of the cancellation but there was no such message in my inbox. To make sure, I checked my email right away and, to my surprise, saw that the email had been sent 20 minutes before I arrived at the airport.

I think the company should warn passengers about these kinds of problems hours before their flight, not minutes. I was trying to understand the reasons and ask her to give me some answers but she was so impolite and aggressive to me for no reason. I just wanted to get to the bottom of this. She said she was going to book me another flight and I said okay, and she continued saying that I didn’t understand her even though I did.

At that moment another woman came and helped her to book my flight and this woman pointed at another flight on the computer screen and suggested that one, but the first woman said that flight was no good because it was first class. After this she said that I wouldn't be flying that day and repeated it three times, as if I didn’t understand again.

After that, she gave me the tickets and pointed to the customer service desk and said that if I wanted to book a hotel, I should go there. So I went there and waited around 30 minutes in a queue and when it was my turn I started saying that my flight had been cancelled and the man who I spoke to told me where I could book my new tickets. I told him I had already booked my tickets, so he asked me to show them to him. When I did, he asked me who had given me those tickets, so I pointed to the woman. He went there and called me, and I was slow in getting over there because I had all my luggage with me.

When I approached the woman, she was so sarcastic to me. She shouted: 'What do you want?' in front of everybody and I answered 'Nothing, I just told your colleague who had given me the tickets'. She asked (shouting again): 'And what do you want now?' She was so aggressive to me again and I said I was just trying to book the hotel, to which she rolled her eyes and ignored my answer. The man came to me and said that if I wanted to book the hotel, I needed to go downstairs. I said I’d go there but that I wanted to know the woman's name and a phone number I can call to report the way she had treated me.

He said he was her supervisor and that I could complain to him, so I said that he had seen everything and done nothing about it, and that I wanted to complain through other channels. After I insisted a lot, he wrote down a phone number and the name 'Diana'. I said the first name was not enough, and he answered that they can’t give surnames. To this I asked him to give me his name as well, and he said 'NO!', so I took my phone to take a photo of him, at which point he tried to take my mobile phone away from me. He threatened me.

So I started to walk towards the exit when he suddenly took hold of my arms and started to scream (he wanted it to look like I was robbing him), so I pulled my arms from his hands. Then he tried to take my luggage, so I pulled it closer to me. I was very scared, and he continued following me. It was almost 1 year ago and until today I haven't heard back from Lufthansa.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

We have an upcoming trip with Lufthansa but due to an emergency surgery my medical provider advised against the travel. We contacted customer service to change the flight to a later date and I was advised that change fee of $350/person would be waived if we sent the documents to the medical team. We went ahead and sent the documents but for past 2 weeks did not hear anything back. When we called the customer service again we were told only time change fee could be waived is due to a death so this was not an acceptable reason and we would have to pay $350/person in order to change the same flight to a later date.

We do not understand why we were even told by the first agent to send personal information from the medical provider when it's not even covered according to the second agent. This is the worst airlines to fly with and they have lack of communications. Due to the surgery we needed to change our other flight with Delta/KLM which was done for free after they received documents from the medical provider. It is hard to believe some airlines are much better and have great customer service and understanding of client situations while others are rude and unkind. This is the first and last time we will travel with Lufthansa. Buyers be aware!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

My Lufthansa Story. My spouse and I recently booked a trip to Europe on Lufthansa Airlines. On the way over, Seattle to Frankfurt we flew in Lufthansa Premium Economy class and then onto Zagreb, Croatia our final destination. All went well. Our return trip was the reverse, but we could only get Economy on Frankfurt to Seattle leg when we booked. We did have confirmed aisle seats across from each other, but we saw how bad Lufthansa Economy was on the way over and tried for an upgrade. With Lufthansa you can “bid” on an upgrade to Premium Economy; we did, and we got it for an extra $1,030.

Twenty-four hours before our return trip, we tried to check in on on-line at numerous different times and ways: The Hotel computer, Lufthansa App on our phones and their website from our tablets. No luck, it always came back saying “Failed”, just check-in at the airport. We thought it was the upgrade thing. So, we arrived extra early at the Zagreb airport to check-in. The desk agent says that we are all set, "Here is your boarding passes for the first leg and your bags are checked on to Seattle." She told us to get our boarding passes at the gate in Frankfurt for the second leg. We again figured it was the upgrade because the email Lufthansa sent said and I quote: “You have received an upgrade to Premium Economy Class for your flight. When you check in you will get a boarding pass for Premium Economy Class.” All sounded OK to me.

When we got to Frankfurt, we rushed directly to the departure gate for flight 490 to Seattle; they had just started boarding. We queued up in the line to see the gate agent to get our boarding passes, just like we were instructed. We were last in line, showed the agent the Lufthansa email and she begins playing with her computer. She then comes back to us and says that, "We have no seats for you, we are overbooked. We gave your original Economy confirmed seats and your upgraded Premium Economy Class seats away to someone else. Sorry."

We were dumbfounded. When we asked her what do we do now, her answer was “I can do nothing, I can’t get you both on this plane, I can’t help you with alternate flights, I can’t offer you money, I can’t call a manager and Lufthansa has NO customer service phone number to call. She just said to go find a Lufthansa desk somewhere in the airport and see what they can do. She finally did say there is one seat left, a center seat in the back of the plane; you have 2 minutes to decide. Apparently, Lufthansa’s policy is to never offer assistance to their customers, you are totally on your own. Oh, and by the way, we still have not received a refund for the $1,030 upgrade fee. Do not fly Lufthansa, they have become a second class, greedy airline.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Everybody wants peace of mind, don't they? And recently I flew to Kiev via Munich via Lufthansa, and bought a business flex ticket for £489. I flew out on the 12th September 2018 and was scheduled to return on the 20th September 2018, but the deal did not work out. So I decided to change my ticket on 15th September 2018, under the impression that the Lufthansa promise on Business Flex 1) Rebooking possible plus fare difference. 2) Refund possible plus fare difference. Instead Lufthansa told me that I would have to pay £1000 to change the ticket, so I had no option but to cancel it. Lufthansa refunded £65 only. I then rebooked the return for the 16th September at a cost of £452.50. I feel cheated by Lufthansa. Please advise me what I can do about this, if anything?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

"You wrote a review for Lufthansa 14 minutes ago. 1.0 star rating. 10/3/2018." Lufthansa pulled a SCAM/FRAUD on my friend couple days ago. We bought a ticket online on their official website. My friend was going from Seattle to Kiev with 2 layovers in Germany, first in Frankfurt, second one in Munich. 24 hours before flight we tried to check in and it said that she can't go. We called the customer support and they told us that she needs a Schengen visa because she got 2 layovers in Germany and they allowing only 1 layover with her current passport... So basically, Lufthansa sold the tickets and then they said you can't go because you got 2 layovers in Germany. XD. What a joke!

We asked to change it to direct flight from Frankfurt to Kiev and they said - Not a problem, that will cost you $2,000!!! On top!!! I checked the prices online and the lowest price was $200, Lufthansa's price was $400, but the customer support was charging us $2,000 for the change!! I was not able to get 200-400 ticket from the customer service. They didn't want to refund us ever, they don't care about their customers. Long story short, she lost $1,200... We bought another tickets from Turkish Airlines. Lufthansa did nothing to solve the problem and I spend 4 hours on the phone. I will never fly Lufthansa airlines again, same as my family, same as my friends. I'm asking you to support me and skip on Lufthansa then possible. Thank You for reading.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

July 17, 2018, I booked two round-trip, business class tickets ($11,073.42) with Lufthansa from San Diego to Cairo for Feb. 14, returning from Amman, Jordan on March 5. While in Switzerland, I received a NOTICE OF CHANGE OF RESERVATION by e-mail on Aug. 28 adding 2 hours to the 2-hour layover in Frankfurt (4+ hrs). Not well at the time, the added layover time overwhelmed me, and I canceled the tickets on the e-mail they had sent. AS they had changed the terms of the trip, I felt I would quickly receive a refund. Time passed, no refund nor any communication of any kind followed. I began sending emails without answers until I was finally informed by a terse e-mail that they would refund $167 per ticket, the amount of taxes. I have sent other e-mails objecting since with no response from Lufthansa. I really feel like I have been assaulted and robbed by a corporate BULLY. $11,073.42 lost to Lufthansa in minutes.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

My husband and I traveled from Chicago to Munich to Belgrade on September 5th. The connection in Munich was awful as we nearly lost the flight. We had to run (the full speed) to stop the plane so that we could board. On our way back, we traveled via Frankfurt because we brought a dog back to Chicago. The connection was as bad as via Munich. Our gate was #69, again we had to run for about two miles to stop the plane from taking off so that we could board the plane. I was the most disheartened by the way my dog was treated.

We fulfilled all the requirements set by the IATA. As per their rules, I provided the food and water as required. Upon arrival at Chicago, we found that the food and water were still attached to our dog's cage. We were required to travel via Frankfurt as that airport has adequate personnel for animal care. However, no one provided any service /care for our dog. The traveling fee for the dog was $399. After all, we are grateful that we made back home promptly and that our dog is alive!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

My wife, our newborn and I booked an international flight round trip from Tampa to Kiev with Lufthansa for $2,800. An emergency took place and we had to travel sooner than planned. When we inquired about changing dates, Lufthansa quoted us around $8K which, ironically, included an emergency discount of $600 given the circumstances. When we researched other websites, we were able to secure a ONE WAY to Kiev with a different airline for $2K. We were still planning on using the tickets with Lufthansa to return to the states since that date remained unchanged. In Frankfurt Airport, as we were checking in our bags heading back to the US, the representative could not locate our tickets. Later, we were asked to pay $3K for new tickets (in addition to the $2,800 we have already paid).

The ticketing supervisor at the Lufthansa desk, Bertha **, was rude and showed no interest in hearing about the emergency that led us to leave the US early. I told her about the emergency discount we were offered in the US which was also noted on their database. Mrs. ** told me that she will not honor that offer and that the German entity is not related to the American subsidiary.

At this point, our 5 week baby was crying and we were emotionally drained. I reluctantly paid the $3K to get us back to the US. We felt really ripped off when boarded the plane and a crew member told us there were 20 vacant seats on the flight. Through all our change of dates and emergencies, never Lufthansa and its customer service showed us it cared about us, or offered help with special measures due to the nature of the situation. I could’ve saved tons of money booking tickets last minute online if I was aware I had to pay for the same seat twice in a flight with plenty of vacancies.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

SEPTEMBER 11 2018 LUFTHANSA flight 459 from San Francisco to Munich was delayed for 4 hours due to technical problems and we were boarding at 1 am and at 1:30 am we were told the flight had been cancel due to the unresolved technical issues. ALL PASSENGERS were left on their own, with no HELP, no lodging, transports and recompense for food. Each passenger struggled to resolve the problem. Many elderly people struggle. MOST of the passengers remains in the airport due to no held from Lufthansa on the floor for 12 hours with no food or water. And for me I suppose to celebrate my 50 birthday with my family and instead I sent 18 hours in San Francisco airport. Elena ** a passenger with Lufthansa airline.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I am currently trying to travel from Amsterdam to Gaborone. Yesterday our flight was delayed from Amsterdam to Munich by Lufthansa. Due to this delay We missed our South African Airways flight and were left stranded in Munich. Step by step this is what has happened so far and it should tell you of how your employees and protocols for this situation are appalling.

We arrived at 2130 and immediately joined the line at the service point. At 0100 I was told I cannot be rebooked and it will only be done at 0400 am. I was denied any accommodation. I also rejoined the line for service at 0400 am. I was not given anywhere to sleep. I just sat in line for another 9 hours. At 0930 I finally got service and was rebooked to fly to Frankfurt then Windhoek then Gaborone to arrive Monday a day later. I flew out of Munich at 11 am and arrived at 1200. We immediately went to the next service station and asked them for accommodation again so we can bath and refresh after 24 hrs without sleep or a bath. They denied us this and instead gave us 6 Euro voucher for a public restroom shower.

When I got to the shower the service lady said she does not accept these vouchers. Since I was already out of customs I had to go to the Lufthansa check in gate, the lady helping me was supposed to be the supervisor there but she was incredibly rude and said she does not have the time to help me find a shower and I should realise she is busy. All she did was write her cell phone and asked me to return to the public restroom and give it to the lady. I did that, the lady again said she cannot help, tried to call but the number was not going through.

I then walked to the international flight side of Frankfurt airport and found out that I cannot check in because since Lufthansa rebooked on our behalf there are “issues with the booking” and also they did not print our boarding passes. So currently I am stuck at the departures check in kiosk, waiting for Air Namibia to open (only opens 2 hrs before the flight). Our flight is at 20:10 and so I will be waiting here on a bench for 5 more hours, no sleep, no bath for 48 hrs and Lufthansa seems not to care that they should help me. I am a ** woman and I can’t help but think I have been treated like an animal due to racist ideology. Other people have had accommodation and trains organised for them, they have been given vouchers that actually work. They have been given better care than us and I want to know why that is?

Original review: July 17, 2018

We were late leaving LAX. Arrived in Frankfurt and taxied for 40 minutes. Then unloaded at some remote part of the airport and were bussed to the terminal. Ran through all of the nonsense to find I could not get on the plane. Waited for over 6 hours before we finally left. On the connecting flight. On arrival in Milan one of my bags was missing. Never received my luggage till 8: pm the next day after being assured it would be there by 2: am the following morning after arrival. Terrible food on the flight. Disgusting food and service on the return flight out of Barcelona. The worst service on any airline in. The past 20 years. I was traveling in business class both ways. No more Lufthansa for me. The other passengers were likewise disgusted and upset. Totally indifferent staff.

Original review: July 9, 2018

We left from Tel Aviv Airport with Lufthansa that was delayed for over 1 hour while we sat in the aircraft. The pilot stated that there was no reason for the delay. As a result of the delay we missed our connecting flight by 5 minutes after being subjected to running through the most ridiculous airport in the world and its multiple security checks and stupidly designed layout. We were also told that we had to have additional checks since we flew out of Israel. They did not hold our flight and the gate agent was not only rude she threatened that she would walk away, not help us and told us we could go find a service desk on our own.

We were stuck in Frankfurt overnight and delayed an entire day. Our return flight was miserable as well. We took Lufthansa from Florence Airport to Frankfurt to JFK NY. We were harassed and mistreated every step of the way by Lufthansa. They subjected me to embarrassing luggage and body searches and continually commented on our visiting Israel and my American passport. Frankfurt airport has absurd security checks that are ridiculous! All the servers went down at Customs. Everyone in line was freaking out quietly because like myself - we were needing to make connecting flights. No one could verbally complain or else face more harassment.

To top it all after going through all of the delays, unnecessary quadruple document and security checks - I was once again subjected to being pulled off into a portioned area where I was again tormented about Israel, had Israeli coffee that was made a fuss over - that I was forced to leave behind so I would not be delayed further- coffee that I wanted to dump out so they could not take it home to enjoy. We all know that products taken away from passengers are basically thieved for airport workers enjoyment.

After all of this we were targeted and harassed again to have our carry on luggage forcefully taken away. Note here that our carry on luggage was the appropriate measurements and within the weight restrictions for carry on luggage. We argued that our carry ons met their requirements but our luggage was taken away. I asked the nasty agents name which she refused to not only give us she covered her name tag with her hand.

Meanwhile other passengers with larger overfilled luggage were allowed on board. They also gave an excuse about it being a full flight. We took note that there were overhead bins on the aircraft that were empty. We were so mistreated and harassed by Lufthansa that I will never fly with them again nor step foot in hellhole Germany. I believe that we were especially targeted and subjected to Lufthansa’s abuse because they hate Americans and are anti semites as they assumed because we visited Israel. Lufthansa’s entire system is ridiculous and moronic. Lufthansa wins the prize of being the nastiest airline in existence and one that selects passengers to harass based on the prejudice mentality of this German run airline.

Lufthansa Company Information