1.02/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

332 Lufthansa Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

The worst airline. Bought 2 business r/t tickets. Lost luggage on return trip. Took 3 hours to reach baggage tracing. Got rep who I could not hear or understand. Was told they could not find luggage. Was not on the online website. Finally, was told it was on Monday flight. I was on the previous Sat. flight. Delivered 2 AM Tues. Tried to make a complaint and speak to someone. Was told by their travel agent line that Lufthansa does NOT speak to customers. A lot of money spent to be treated like cargo. Southwest Airlines is better. Don't fly Lufthansa with baggage checked.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I purchased a tour through Santa Rosa Junior College's Community Education Department and the flights were booked with Lufthansa. Keeping in mind that this was my first trip abroad and first passport stamp. I flew out of SFO (San Francisco) to Berlin, via the stop in Frankfurt. Our flight from Frankfurt to Berlin went fine until we arrived to retrieve our luggage and waited for more than an hour. As I'm traveling solo, and I barely know two women from my town as the only people I felt comfortable to talk to, I come to find out that our luggage was never loaded on in Frankfurt, and that our plane which we flew had immediately turned around and immediately left the Berlin airport. Our tour guide said we'd be driven to the hotel and have an update later.

I checked into my room, took a nap, and went downstairs to the orientation meeting. Found out there was no update. The tour manager gave me a website to file a Delayed Bag Report. I tried using the computer in the Business Center where the software is woefully outdated (hello Windows Vista). Exhausted and wearing the same clothes, I went to sleep with the intent of getting help filing the complaint since I was the only one on the tour whose luggage was still missing. I got to the Business Center after breakfast, and the computer is still giving me trouble, that I asked the tour manager to complete it, as I had no luck. An hour later, the form is completed. But as stores are closed on Sundays, there was no way to purchase replacement clothes, shoes, toiletries, etc.

We leave Berlin Monday morning to continue to Prague, and still no news about my suitcase. Keeping in mind that we'd be moving on every two days of the tour, we were constantly in transit to our next destination. Fast forward to Thursday: September 27, 2018: I get a text from my fiance back home that my suitcase was FedExed back to California and left on our front porch!

I went to alert the tour manager that I would have to skip the day tour in Vienna - our only day there since I needed to take a Viennese transit system to a mall to do the shopping. In other words, I forfeited participating in a tour because I had little choice since I obviously needed a new suitcase and new clothes etc. I made it back in time for the dinner planned. Luckily I had trip insurance included in the tour price, so the liaison at SRJC emailed me to state that I should buy what I need and get reimbursed after the trip. But who's going to compensate me for my loss of a tour in Vienna because I had to make the best of a bad situation, directly as a result of your actions?

So the trip continued, and I flew KLM to Dublin for a week. My return flight was Friday, October 12' 2018, via Munich to SFO. Besides the obvious question - why would I be going east to Munich and then backtrack 3+ hours to get to SFO? It made for a very long day. Yes, my replacement suitcase made it to SFO, but here's the real issue: Why would you, Lufthansa baggage handlers, not take the time and do your due diligence and find out that I'd be in Berlin until Monday? My suitcase had a strap around it with the name of the tour company, it had my luggage tag from the tour company, and you could still manage to FedEx my suitcase to California while my tag has my PO BOX address on it?

Secondly, I arrived at around 3 pm Saturday, and staying in town until Monday morning. It didn't occur to you to contact the tour company to trace the bag? Additionally, why were you in such a hurry that it warranted using FedEx and again, only having my PO Box address attached to said luggage and you're able to find my physical residence although I moved there less than 6 months ago? In any event, you messed up big time. I finally had the opportunity to travel to Europe for the first time, and the first use of my passport, and you not only messed up once, you compounded the problem by not being proactive in getting my luggage back to me, and caused me to have to wear THE SAME clothes from Friday to Thursday and you took the lazy route and just shipped my bag back home where I'm obviously wasn't.

You couldn't be bothered to do your job correctly and not cause me all the discomfort and inconvenience that I dealt with; if the rest of the reviews posted are any indication, I'm not the only one to question your business ethics. What was most disappointing is that back around March, I suffered a stroke. It was relatively minor except for no driving, but I worked my butt off in physical and occupational therapy so I'd be well enough to take this trip. It was my motivation. You took my first memory of traveling abroad and left it with an asterisk. I managed to salvage some energy and fun in Ireland. But after the rocky start of my trip and your apparent indifference to fixing a mistake and staying in contact with the passenger tells me to take my business elsewhere for my next trip to Europe.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I had a flight to Brazil on 10/12/2017 with a connecting flight in Frankfurt, and when I arrived at Dublin Airport the lady at the desk said my flight had been cancelled. She told me that she had sent me an email to inform me of the cancellation but there was no such message in my inbox. To make sure, I checked my email right away and, to my surprise, saw that the email had been sent 20 minutes before I arrived at the airport.

I think the company should warn passengers about these kinds of problems hours before their flight, not minutes. I was trying to understand the reasons and ask her to give me some answers but she was so impolite and aggressive to me for no reason. I just wanted to get to the bottom of this. She said she was going to book me another flight and I said okay, and she continued saying that I didn’t understand her even though I did.

At that moment another woman came and helped her to book my flight and this woman pointed at another flight on the computer screen and suggested that one, but the first woman said that flight was no good because it was first class. After this she said that I wouldn't be flying that day and repeated it three times, as if I didn’t understand again.

After that, she gave me the tickets and pointed to the customer service desk and said that if I wanted to book a hotel, I should go there. So I went there and waited around 30 minutes in a queue and when it was my turn I started saying that my flight had been cancelled and the man who I spoke to told me where I could book my new tickets. I told him I had already booked my tickets, so he asked me to show them to him. When I did, he asked me who had given me those tickets, so I pointed to the woman. He went there and called me, and I was slow in getting over there because I had all my luggage with me.

When I approached the woman, she was so sarcastic to me. She shouted: 'What do you want?' in front of everybody and I answered 'Nothing, I just told your colleague who had given me the tickets'. She asked (shouting again): 'And what do you want now?' She was so aggressive to me again and I said I was just trying to book the hotel, to which she rolled her eyes and ignored my answer. The man came to me and said that if I wanted to book the hotel, I needed to go downstairs. I said I’d go there but that I wanted to know the woman's name and a phone number I can call to report the way she had treated me.

He said he was her supervisor and that I could complain to him, so I said that he had seen everything and done nothing about it, and that I wanted to complain through other channels. After I insisted a lot, he wrote down a phone number and the name 'Diana'. I said the first name was not enough, and he answered that they can’t give surnames. To this I asked him to give me his name as well, and he said 'NO!', so I took my phone to take a photo of him, at which point he tried to take my mobile phone away from me. He threatened me.

So I started to walk towards the exit when he suddenly took hold of my arms and started to scream (he wanted it to look like I was robbing him), so I pulled my arms from his hands. Then he tried to take my luggage, so I pulled it closer to me. I was very scared, and he continued following me. It was almost 1 year ago and until today I haven't heard back from Lufthansa.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

We have an upcoming trip with Lufthansa but due to an emergency surgery my medical provider advised against the travel. We contacted customer service to change the flight to a later date and I was advised that change fee of $350/person would be waived if we sent the documents to the medical team. We went ahead and sent the documents but for past 2 weeks did not hear anything back. When we called the customer service again we were told only time change fee could be waived is due to a death so this was not an acceptable reason and we would have to pay $350/person in order to change the same flight to a later date.

We do not understand why we were even told by the first agent to send personal information from the medical provider when it's not even covered according to the second agent. This is the worst airlines to fly with and they have lack of communications. Due to the surgery we needed to change our other flight with Delta/KLM which was done for free after they received documents from the medical provider. It is hard to believe some airlines are much better and have great customer service and understanding of client situations while others are rude and unkind. This is the first and last time we will travel with Lufthansa. Buyers be aware!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

My Lufthansa Story. My spouse and I recently booked a trip to Europe on Lufthansa Airlines. On the way over, Seattle to Frankfurt we flew in Lufthansa Premium Economy class and then onto Zagreb, Croatia our final destination. All went well. Our return trip was the reverse, but we could only get Economy on Frankfurt to Seattle leg when we booked. We did have confirmed aisle seats across from each other, but we saw how bad Lufthansa Economy was on the way over and tried for an upgrade. With Lufthansa you can “bid” on an upgrade to Premium Economy; we did, and we got it for an extra $1,030.

Twenty-four hours before our return trip, we tried to check in on on-line at numerous different times and ways: The Hotel computer, Lufthansa App on our phones and their website from our tablets. No luck, it always came back saying “Failed”, just check-in at the airport. We thought it was the upgrade thing. So, we arrived extra early at the Zagreb airport to check-in. The desk agent says that we are all set, "Here is your boarding passes for the first leg and your bags are checked on to Seattle." She told us to get our boarding passes at the gate in Frankfurt for the second leg. We again figured it was the upgrade because the email Lufthansa sent said and I quote: “You have received an upgrade to Premium Economy Class for your flight. When you check in you will get a boarding pass for Premium Economy Class.” All sounded OK to me.

When we got to Frankfurt, we rushed directly to the departure gate for flight 490 to Seattle; they had just started boarding. We queued up in the line to see the gate agent to get our boarding passes, just like we were instructed. We were last in line, showed the agent the Lufthansa email and she begins playing with her computer. She then comes back to us and says that, "We have no seats for you, we are overbooked. We gave your original Economy confirmed seats and your upgraded Premium Economy Class seats away to someone else. Sorry."

We were dumbfounded. When we asked her what do we do now, her answer was “I can do nothing, I can’t get you both on this plane, I can’t help you with alternate flights, I can’t offer you money, I can’t call a manager and Lufthansa has NO customer service phone number to call. She just said to go find a Lufthansa desk somewhere in the airport and see what they can do. She finally did say there is one seat left, a center seat in the back of the plane; you have 2 minutes to decide. Apparently, Lufthansa’s policy is to never offer assistance to their customers, you are totally on your own. Oh, and by the way, we still have not received a refund for the $1,030 upgrade fee. Do not fly Lufthansa, they have become a second class, greedy airline.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lufthansa?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Everybody wants peace of mind, don't they? And recently I flew to Kiev via Munich via Lufthansa, and bought a business flex ticket for £489. I flew out on the 12th September 2018 and was scheduled to return on the 20th September 2018, but the deal did not work out. So I decided to change my ticket on 15th September 2018, under the impression that the Lufthansa promise on Business Flex 1) Rebooking possible plus fare difference. 2) Refund possible plus fare difference. Instead Lufthansa told me that I would have to pay £1000 to change the ticket, so I had no option but to cancel it. Lufthansa refunded £65 only. I then rebooked the return for the 16th September at a cost of £452.50. I feel cheated by Lufthansa. Please advise me what I can do about this, if anything?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

"You wrote a review for Lufthansa 14 minutes ago. 1.0 star rating. 10/3/2018." Lufthansa pulled a SCAM/FRAUD on my friend couple days ago. We bought a ticket online on their official website. My friend was going from Seattle to Kiev with 2 layovers in Germany, first in Frankfurt, second one in Munich. 24 hours before flight we tried to check in and it said that she can't go. We called the customer support and they told us that she needs a Schengen visa because she got 2 layovers in Germany and they allowing only 1 layover with her current passport... So basically, Lufthansa sold the tickets and then they said you can't go because you got 2 layovers in Germany. XD. What a joke!

We asked to change it to direct flight from Frankfurt to Kiev and they said - Not a problem, that will cost you $2,000!!! On top!!! I checked the prices online and the lowest price was $200, Lufthansa's price was $400, but the customer support was charging us $2,000 for the change!! I was not able to get 200-400 ticket from the customer service. They didn't want to refund us ever, they don't care about their customers. Long story short, she lost $1,200... We bought another tickets from Turkish Airlines. Lufthansa did nothing to solve the problem and I spend 4 hours on the phone. I will never fly Lufthansa airlines again, same as my family, same as my friends. I'm asking you to support me and skip on Lufthansa then possible. Thank You for reading.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

July 17, 2018, I booked two round-trip, business class tickets ($11,073.42) with Lufthansa from San Diego to Cairo for Feb. 14, returning from Amman, Jordan on March 5. While in Switzerland, I received a NOTICE OF CHANGE OF RESERVATION by e-mail on Aug. 28 adding 2 hours to the 2-hour layover in Frankfurt (4+ hrs). Not well at the time, the added layover time overwhelmed me, and I canceled the tickets on the e-mail they had sent. AS they had changed the terms of the trip, I felt I would quickly receive a refund. Time passed, no refund nor any communication of any kind followed. I began sending emails without answers until I was finally informed by a terse e-mail that they would refund $167 per ticket, the amount of taxes. I have sent other e-mails objecting since with no response from Lufthansa. I really feel like I have been assaulted and robbed by a corporate BULLY. $11,073.42 lost to Lufthansa in minutes.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

My husband and I traveled from Chicago to Munich to Belgrade on September 5th. The connection in Munich was awful as we nearly lost the flight. We had to run (the full speed) to stop the plane so that we could board. On our way back, we traveled via Frankfurt because we brought a dog back to Chicago. The connection was as bad as via Munich. Our gate was #69, again we had to run for about two miles to stop the plane from taking off so that we could board the plane. I was the most disheartened by the way my dog was treated.

We fulfilled all the requirements set by the IATA. As per their rules, I provided the food and water as required. Upon arrival at Chicago, we found that the food and water were still attached to our dog's cage. We were required to travel via Frankfurt as that airport has adequate personnel for animal care. However, no one provided any service /care for our dog. The traveling fee for the dog was $399. After all, we are grateful that we made back home promptly and that our dog is alive!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

My wife, our newborn and I booked an international flight round trip from Tampa to Kiev with Lufthansa for $2,800. An emergency took place and we had to travel sooner than planned. When we inquired about changing dates, Lufthansa quoted us around $8K which, ironically, included an emergency discount of $600 given the circumstances. When we researched other websites, we were able to secure a ONE WAY to Kiev with a different airline for $2K. We were still planning on using the tickets with Lufthansa to return to the states since that date remained unchanged. In Frankfurt Airport, as we were checking in our bags heading back to the US, the representative could not locate our tickets. Later, we were asked to pay $3K for new tickets (in addition to the $2,800 we have already paid).

The ticketing supervisor at the Lufthansa desk, Bertha **, was rude and showed no interest in hearing about the emergency that led us to leave the US early. I told her about the emergency discount we were offered in the US which was also noted on their database. Mrs. ** told me that she will not honor that offer and that the German entity is not related to the American subsidiary.

At this point, our 5 week baby was crying and we were emotionally drained. I reluctantly paid the $3K to get us back to the US. We felt really ripped off when boarded the plane and a crew member told us there were 20 vacant seats on the flight. Through all our change of dates and emergencies, never Lufthansa and its customer service showed us it cared about us, or offered help with special measures due to the nature of the situation. I could’ve saved tons of money booking tickets last minute online if I was aware I had to pay for the same seat twice in a flight with plenty of vacancies.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

SEPTEMBER 11 2018 LUFTHANSA flight 459 from San Francisco to Munich was delayed for 4 hours due to technical problems and we were boarding at 1 am and at 1:30 am we were told the flight had been cancel due to the unresolved technical issues. ALL PASSENGERS were left on their own, with no HELP, no lodging, transports and recompense for food. Each passenger struggled to resolve the problem. Many elderly people struggle. MOST of the passengers remains in the airport due to no held from Lufthansa on the floor for 12 hours with no food or water. And for me I suppose to celebrate my 50 birthday with my family and instead I sent 18 hours in San Francisco airport. Elena ** a passenger with Lufthansa airline.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I am currently trying to travel from Amsterdam to Gaborone. Yesterday our flight was delayed from Amsterdam to Munich by Lufthansa. Due to this delay We missed our South African Airways flight and were left stranded in Munich. Step by step this is what has happened so far and it should tell you of how your employees and protocols for this situation are appalling.

We arrived at 2130 and immediately joined the line at the service point. At 0100 I was told I cannot be rebooked and it will only be done at 0400 am. I was denied any accommodation. I also rejoined the line for service at 0400 am. I was not given anywhere to sleep. I just sat in line for another 9 hours. At 0930 I finally got service and was rebooked to fly to Frankfurt then Windhoek then Gaborone to arrive Monday a day later. I flew out of Munich at 11 am and arrived at 1200. We immediately went to the next service station and asked them for accommodation again so we can bath and refresh after 24 hrs without sleep or a bath. They denied us this and instead gave us 6 Euro voucher for a public restroom shower.

When I got to the shower the service lady said she does not accept these vouchers. Since I was already out of customs I had to go to the Lufthansa check in gate, the lady helping me was supposed to be the supervisor there but she was incredibly rude and said she does not have the time to help me find a shower and I should realise she is busy. All she did was write her cell phone and asked me to return to the public restroom and give it to the lady. I did that, the lady again said she cannot help, tried to call but the number was not going through.

I then walked to the international flight side of Frankfurt airport and found out that I cannot check in because since Lufthansa rebooked on our behalf there are “issues with the booking” and also they did not print our boarding passes. So currently I am stuck at the departures check in kiosk, waiting for Air Namibia to open (only opens 2 hrs before the flight). Our flight is at 20:10 and so I will be waiting here on a bench for 5 more hours, no sleep, no bath for 48 hrs and Lufthansa seems not to care that they should help me. I am a ** woman and I can’t help but think I have been treated like an animal due to racist ideology. Other people have had accommodation and trains organised for them, they have been given vouchers that actually work. They have been given better care than us and I want to know why that is?

Original review: July 17, 2018

We were late leaving LAX. Arrived in Frankfurt and taxied for 40 minutes. Then unloaded at some remote part of the airport and were bussed to the terminal. Ran through all of the nonsense to find I could not get on the plane. Waited for over 6 hours before we finally left. On the connecting flight. On arrival in Milan one of my bags was missing. Never received my luggage till 8: pm the next day after being assured it would be there by 2: am the following morning after arrival. Terrible food on the flight. Disgusting food and service on the return flight out of Barcelona. The worst service on any airline in. The past 20 years. I was traveling in business class both ways. No more Lufthansa for me. The other passengers were likewise disgusted and upset. Totally indifferent staff.

Original review: July 9, 2018

We left from Tel Aviv Airport with Lufthansa that was delayed for over 1 hour while we sat in the aircraft. The pilot stated that there was no reason for the delay. As a result of the delay we missed our connecting flight by 5 minutes after being subjected to running through the most ridiculous airport in the world and its multiple security checks and stupidly designed layout. We were also told that we had to have additional checks since we flew out of Israel. They did not hold our flight and the gate agent was not only rude she threatened that she would walk away, not help us and told us we could go find a service desk on our own.

We were stuck in Frankfurt overnight and delayed an entire day. Our return flight was miserable as well. We took Lufthansa from Florence Airport to Frankfurt to JFK NY. We were harassed and mistreated every step of the way by Lufthansa. They subjected me to embarrassing luggage and body searches and continually commented on our visiting Israel and my American passport. Frankfurt airport has absurd security checks that are ridiculous! All the servers went down at Customs. Everyone in line was freaking out quietly because like myself - we were needing to make connecting flights. No one could verbally complain or else face more harassment.

To top it all after going through all of the delays, unnecessary quadruple document and security checks - I was once again subjected to being pulled off into a portioned area where I was again tormented about Israel, had Israeli coffee that was made a fuss over - that I was forced to leave behind so I would not be delayed further- coffee that I wanted to dump out so they could not take it home to enjoy. We all know that products taken away from passengers are basically thieved for airport workers enjoyment.

After all of this we were targeted and harassed again to have our carry on luggage forcefully taken away. Note here that our carry on luggage was the appropriate measurements and within the weight restrictions for carry on luggage. We argued that our carry ons met their requirements but our luggage was taken away. I asked the nasty agents name which she refused to not only give us she covered her name tag with her hand.

Meanwhile other passengers with larger overfilled luggage were allowed on board. They also gave an excuse about it being a full flight. We took note that there were overhead bins on the aircraft that were empty. We were so mistreated and harassed by Lufthansa that I will never fly with them again nor step foot in hellhole Germany. I believe that we were especially targeted and subjected to Lufthansa’s abuse because they hate Americans and are anti semites as they assumed because we visited Israel. Lufthansa’s entire system is ridiculous and moronic. Lufthansa wins the prize of being the nastiest airline in existence and one that selects passengers to harass based on the prejudice mentality of this German run airline.

Original review: June 30, 2018

6/27/18 I'm quadriplegic and have a power wheelchair. At Nice, France airport wheelchair was checked with normal luggage for delivery to Newark airport. We changed planes in Frankfurt. We got to Newark a day and 1/2 later but that's another story. It's now 4 days and no one even knows where my wheelchair is. Lost baggage is subcontracted to globalbaggage.uk and in their latest email basically said, "Don't call us. We'll call you." Lufthansa lost baggage rooms are closed on weekends so nothing can be done. They did offer to try to find me a suitable manual chair but that doesn't help me. Global Baggage refers you to their phone number which has been disconnected and also tells you to call the airport which of course tells you to call the carrier Lufthansa.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I would like to share the most terrible experience in the Frankfurt airport my mother has ever encountered. The employee of the airport keep mistreating passengers, and nobody can stop them from doing so. Here is what I wrote to Lufthansa airlines which my mother was using. "I am writing to you to describe a terrible experience which my mother had to encounter in the airport of Frankfurt. I ordered for her a wheelchair, but she was not provided with it. As soon as she landed, nobody helped her to get to the next gate. Her legs hurt her very much, but she had to carry her carry-on bag and to walk long distances in the airport. The service which must be provided for such people was not provided at all. Moreover the employees of the airport did not want to talk or to help neither. She was just left as she was without knowing what to do next and where to go. She neither speaks English nor German."

As a result of such disgusting attitude she missed her flight along with the other many passengers. She heard from many passengers that they NEVER EVER experienced such attitude in any airports. Her physical condition now is terrible. She cannot walk. She barely got home. I DEMAND the compensation and the punishment of the people who are responsible. I paid the insurance for this flight, and I am going to complain to the insurance company as well. I attach her boarding passes, and I am looking forward to hearing from you soon."

Here is the answer I received from them. "Thank you for your correspondence regarding Lidiia **. We at Lufthansa always ensure that our passengers’ privacy is respected and protected. In order for us to proceed with your request, we kindly ask for the power of attorney signed by the passenger/s. As soon as we receive this legal document authorizing you to act on behalf of the passenger/s, we will be happy to assist you in this regard. Thank you for your continued patience and understanding in this matter. We look forward to hearing from you soon at your earliest convenience and settling this matter to your satisfaction."

Original review: June 18, 2018

I had a terrible experience trying to fly to Poland using Lufthansa. I booked the flight on May 11, 2018, through Vayama. The departure from SFO was on June 16, 2018, and return to SFO on July 1, 2018. The flight from San Francisco (SFO) to Warsaw (WAW) had one stop in Frankfurt. I was at the airport in San Francisco 2.5 hours before the flight. During the check-in, the Lufthansa employee said that there was a problem, because my US passport was valid only to August 27, 2018 which was less than 3 months from the day of the departure. I was surprised.

While making a reservation, there was no information on the website about any regulations regarding the validity of the passport or any other restrictions. At the SFO airport the only requirement was that the passport should be signed. The front-desk employee said that I wouldn't be able to board the plane because of the 3 months requirement. I had on me a Polish passport, and showed it to her. She said that it was good that I had the Polish passport. That it would resolve the issue of traveling to Poland. She went to consult this issue with another person. They checked that I could enter Poland even on an expired Polish passport since I held dual citizenship (Polish and American). They even put a tag on my luggage that it was approved as a carry-on. Then they tried to check me in. They had some trouble with the system and called a supervisor for assistance.

The supervisor at first was willing to help, but then called somebody, and after this phone call her attitude toward me completely changed. She said that she would not check me in, and would not allow me to fly to Poland, that I would not be allowed to enter the plane to Warsaw in Frankfurt, that in Germany I would be stopped at the passport control and put back on a plane to the United States. I tried to argue that I was only in transit through Frankfurt to Warsaw, that I would not even leave the airport, that between my arrival to Frankfurt and the flight to Warsaw I would be at the airport in Frankfurt only 1hr 25 min. I contacted the Polish border control. They said that there was no problem. I could enter Poland as a Polish citizen. I told this to the Lufthansa supervisor but she still declined me the boarding pass.

The irony was that she said that on my valid US passport I could fly from Poland to the United States but not vice versa. She even told me that if I would fly through Heathrow in London or directly to Warsaw there would be no problem which confused me even more. She told that this regulation was put in place last year. She suggested that I should reschedule my flight so I could fly through JFK and then to Warsaw. I asked her to help me with the new booking, but she said that she was not a ticket person, and that I should call Lufthansa (1-800-645-3880.) I tried several times, was put on hold, and when finally got hold of somebody I was told that they would not change tickets, that I should call the agency where I booked my ticket.

I tried to reach Vayama (1-855-396-8777), was put on hold. When finally an agent picked up the phone, the plane to Frankfurt departed. I was left without any options. Because of this, I was not able to visit my 87-year-old, ailing father, just for 2 weeks when my US passport would be still valid for about 2 months after my return to the United States.

Resolution response: Oct. 6, 2018

Update: After a long 3 week wait, Lufthansa refunded my money, on June 21, 2018.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Lufthansa’s “book with ease” assurance on their website should really read “book with seize”. Let me explain: You’ve read the claim on Lufthansa’s website to book with ease with their 24 hour cancellation policy for a full refund, right? Well, that is true, you can easily cancel. BUT what they don’t tell you: They have no intention to refund your money anytime soon, if ever. So if you prematurely book a flight, but afterwards you discover there is another carrier that offers a cheaper, shorter, or simply, a flight that better fits your needs, don’t forget one thing: You might not be able to book it until your money has been refunded first, (if ever), all depending on your financial situation, of course.

Take me for instance: On May 30, 2018, I booked a non-stop, first class ticket with Lufthansa, (Los Angeles-Munich-Los Angeles), because they had a “great” offer on first class tickets: $7,753.35 round trip; just a couple of hundred dollars more than their business class tickets went for. In addition, I booked a rental car in the amount of $1,225.09 for the 4 week duration of my stay, which would have brought my total travel expense to $8978.44, so basically 9 grand. On a whim, I had splurged, only to get hit by buyer's remorse afterwards. Was I insane? Did I REALLY need to fly first class? True, it’s a 12 hour flight, and I have a bad back, but wouldn’t business class have resolved my issue just the same? After all, business class seats recline into flat beds just as first class seats do.

Needless to say, I canceled my booking on the Lufthansa website within the 24 hour time frame. Almost immediately I received a booking cancellation confirmation email from Lufthansa, informing me that I qualified for the full refund of $7,753.35. In the meantime, I thoroughly combed through the internet and found a business class ticket with Aer Lingus, for $3,974.79, plus a minivan for a mere $720.84, a total of $4695.63. Half as much as my travel plans with Lufthansa!

Luckily for me, I was actually able scrape enough money together for this new booking with Aer Lingus, but the huge dent in my account from having purchased the Lufthansa ticket prevented me from exploring further travel adventures, such as multi-city hopping, river rafting reservations, or tickets to theater performances. In fact, how was I even going to book the most basic trip needs in advance, like a great deals on accommodations? Fast forward two weeks and three phone calls later: Not only has Lufthansa NOT issued my refund yet, but they haven’t even STARTED the process! On my last call I was advised by a heavy accented lady to try their web support department. (?!?) The hours on hold spent on the phone calls would be worth a review all by itself!

To make a long story short, I had no choice but to call my bank and file a complaint. My bank immediately started an investigation, explaining that the investigation could take up to 130 days. However, the bank also assured me that they will advance the full amount back into my account within 10 business days. All I had to do in addition was to fax my booking cancellation confirmation to them. Regardless, as relieved as I am to receive help from my bank in this matter, I am still going to be out of $7,753 for a total of almost four weeks, including the 10 business days it takes my bank to advance the funds onto my account.

Bottomline: Don’t fall for Lufthansa’s easy, 24 hour cancellation sham and do not book with Lufthansa unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure you will stick with your booking! Had I not had the knowledge to contact my bank, I could have been out of almost eight grand for months, a year, or forever, according to reviews on here, as well as reviews on other forums.

Original review: June 11, 2018

The security and other staff including the staff on Lufthansa airlines are rude and racist. They subject ** people to humiliating and demeaning treatment including the way you are checked at security even though you passed through the buzzer. I never want to go through Frankfurt International Airport again as the experience was a complete humiliation to my human rights and dignity.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I recently connected thru Frankfurt via Bangalore. My colleague and I approached the gate agent greeting the flight to ask about connecting gate info. The agent proceeded to loudly and quite dramatically... ask what we had eaten as we smelled like curry! I only wish I had gotten this rude idiot's name to formally report his offensive behavior. Come on Lufthansa! Hire some professionals as these folks represent your airline! Absolutely unacceptable and I have never been so humiliated!

Original review: May 7, 2018

Our RT Denver-Amsterdam on Lufthansa was on Mar 6. Flight was from Denver-Munich-Amsterdam. It was booked through Kayak (another story) for 4 travelers. There were 2 different times for the 4 people traveling together. I booked the tickets via computer all the same day but different cards. We were shocked to see 2 of the travelers on different flights from Munich-Amsterdam-Munich. On the return flight from Amsterdam-Munich, one passenger was supposed to be on the 7 am flight (w/ the other 2), unlike mine - 2 hrs later. She assumed she had the same flights as I. NO! Since she missed the 7 am flight to Mun - they then canceled her Mun-Den flight without contacting her via text or email.

In order to continue on, they charged her 1700 euros (for an economy plus seat). The seat would have gone empty anyway since there was at least 1 unfilled seat. I wrote a long letter stating this to Lufthansa and asking for a credit, instead of being double charged. Not one word has been received regarding this, which I find unacceptable. Zero customer service with no regard for their paying passengers. I will not fly Lufthansa ever again, & I will continue to repeat how they ripped off a 68 woman to their advantage. I thought Lufthansa was a top class airline -- no more.

Original review: May 6, 2018

I booked a flight from Germany to Los Angeles around 6 months ago and in mid-March paid $700 (2 tickets) to be upgraded to premium economy. For couple of weeks their website showed our status as premium economy. We went to our vacation and last day of our vacation we got an email for flight confirmation and in that our seats were regular economy, baffled that we had paid for this upgrade a month in advance. Why suddenly the change? So we called the customer service and 45 minutes hold. The lady said due to “equipment change!!!” This problem has happened and “unfortunately there is no availability for this class” and they will refund my money in 10 days.

So we went to airport but this time instead of asking what happened we just asked, "Do you have availability for premium economy." The lady looked and said they have!!! In result we said so because we have paid in advance we want those seats. She got so surprised that had to call her boss. The boss guy came and said, "You asked if the seats are available but not you paid already”. Anyway they were caught red handed and had to give us the tickets.

My issue is this company is committing a fraud either: 1. Sold us a product that later claimed they don’t have and kept our money for 1.5 months without bothering to let us know Or 2. They had the seats available but towards getting close to flight date sold our seats to a higher price. Either way they are fraudulent, liar, and untrustworthy.

Original review: April 10, 2018

ALL Lufthansa crew should be ashamed of such a terrible, DISGUSTING customer service!!! You have to learn from other normal services how to operate and talk to people! You should check WHO you are hiring!!! You should FIRE this disgusting staff who hangs up on customers! I have ALWAYS traveled with Lufthansa and I will NO MORE! You should be truly ashamed that such a well-known airline handles its customers on the zero level! As a marketing student, I know way more on how to satisfy customers and make them stick with your brand than your multinational unprofessional company!

Original review: April 10, 2018

We had a really terrible flight back to New Zealand from our holidays in Spain. The ticket counter told us in Singapore that we would be compensate for their mistakes, that cost us 12 h extra in our flight, but after that when we sent them the formal complaint they didn´t answer our complaints, they gave us a excuses for the delays on the flight that we were not complaining about, and when we replied explaining again and again the complaint there was not answers, it's been a year ago. We are totally disappointed and I know that I won't have any compensation or any of my money back. I will never ever fly again with them of course, and the only thing that we can do is let know to the people how is thinking in flight with them how was our flight.

Our original flight from Frankfurt to Singapore was delayed by seven hours (it was because air control -right I know- it's the only explanation that they gave us) was all right, they gave us another flight from Frankfurt to Singapore to don´t missed our connecting flight from Singapore direct to Christchurch. And in this moment was when the mistake was made, the "Lufthansa ticket counter" printed off our new boarding passes for the flights but she didn´t let them know in Singapore that we were flying in another flight and that we would be on time for the connection.

So we went to Singapore, we wait to the connection flight to Christchurch, but when we were going to board the flight, the lady taking the boarding tickets told us that we were canceled from this flight because no one let them know that we were flying on time to Singapore so they canceled us from this flight because they thought that we were not going to make it on time.

She send us to "Lufthansa ticket counter" in Singapore and the men at the desk (who was really nice) couldn't believe that with the boarding passes printed by the "Lufthansa ticket counter" no one informed Singapore that we were arriving on time to not cancel us from the Singapore - Christchurch flight. After he had been checking different options at the end he found that the best or "earliest" option was a flight with Singapore Airlines from Singapore to Sydney, and wait 7 h in Sydney for the connection from Sydney - Christchurch and arrive to Christchurch the 14th of November at 10.00pm.

We arrived exactly 11 hours later than we should have arrived to Christchurch (New Zealand). We traveled for 45h. We arrived exhausted, disappointed, and really dissatisfied for how our amazing holiday finished in such a horrible way, we really think that is not fair all what we experience during these flights because this is not what we did paid for (and is not a cheap flight).

After explain them the history 3 times by email, the only answer that we get is that is not their fault because the first flight was delayed from air control. And we explain them again and again what the Luthfansa ticket counter told us at Singapore: "The mistake was made by the "Lufthansa ticket counter" in Frankfurt, she gave us another flight to make it on time in Singapore but she didn´t let them know that we were flying in another flight and that we would be on time for the connection." But we still getting the same answer: "The first flight was delayed from air control and it's not our fault" an totally no sense and a terrible customer relation service.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I had entire trip booked from NYC to Croatia, waiting and saving for this entire year. Finally I purchase tickets, paid in full, just for them to send me email month later TELLING ME my new return is 3 days earlier!? THEY LITERALLY JUST CUT MY TRIP 3 DAYS SHORT, SENT ME NEW TICKET AND THAT'S IT??? I had wedding to go to that exact weekend, already paid for all stuff etc. So now I try to reach them, took 4 days. NO LIE for redundant music to stop playing and some woman with 9 accents to pick up...of course she could not comprehend anything I asked her, she kept referring things I never asked, I asked for supervisor, she puts me on hold...cuts me off... This went on for A WEEK!!! A WHOLE WEEK!

While I'm trying to fix this problem, it is a time sensitive issue because tickets I had to change BECAUSE OF LUFTHANSA CHANGING MINE, on another airline, are getting sold out. So now all of them sell out and all I can basically do is wait for another few days for Lufthansa to pick up and request my refund and lose all money and plans I spent half a year saving for!!! Now I get another person with 9 accents on the phone and she literally tells me my refund 'should possibly I believe be full.' Really? Were my flights 'little bit' cancelled too? Absolute horror! I ended up requesting refund online, I still did not receive it or any confirmation of any sort for it but I'm taking this to next level for compensation and rest. SHAME ON YOU!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I was flying with my father from Boston to Frankfurt, then on to Athens. At the gate, we tried to upgrade to Business class from Economy, but they didn't let us do so -- even though the gate attendant told us that there were 2 business seats open, we had to be in Premium Economy first to upgrade to Business, which is frankly BS. She wasted about half an hour of our time, and we tried to call them to upgrade our seats over the phone -- no answer from customer service. We then went to the Lufthansa lounge for some salvation, but no dice there, because guess what? THE OTHER BUSINESS CLASS SEAT WAS TAKEN! Never flying Lufthansa ever again. I'm sticking with Swiss and British Airways.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I bought tickets for Lufthansa airlines from Almaty to Geneva via Frankfurt on July 8th 2017 for January 8th 2018 dates (4 people). Our Booking reference number **. We planned our vacation to ski resort in advance (6 months!). Tickets were unchangeable. We booked the hotel and car-transfer to ski resort in advance too. This amount is also non-returnable and unchangeable.

Yesterday WITHOUT notification and explanation I received new tickets (change reservation) to January 9th (which means losing the whole day and half and transfer reservations). This is shocking and unacceptable situation. We called to reservation support, they offered us the alternative route (arriving to Geneva 6 hours later and losing rest of the day). We agreed because we didn’t have other choice. So we have to change the time of car-transfer and pay for that. I think this is outrageous and completely disrespectful attitude to the customers which ruins vacation mood. Please understand this situation. We would like that Lufthansa will refund the full tickets price + car-transfer + one-day ski-pass for 4 people. I always thought that Lufthansa is one of the most reliable airline with corresponding customer service but this is shocking thing to hear from you.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

My LH flight from Poznan (PL) to Frankfurt was cancelled for reasons which are a mystery still to this day. There were rumours among other travellers to Frankfurt at Poznan airport, ranging from technical issues to fog. The facts can however be clearly laid out: It was a bit foggy that afternoon BUT there were several other flights arriving and leaving from Poznan at the same time my flight should have left, including another Lufthansa flight from and to Munich. Hence the weather was good enough for landing and takeoff.

I saw on the flight tracker that the aircraft coming from Frankfurt made a U-turn right before Poznan to land in Berlin. It was the same aircraft that should have taken us back to Frankfurt. Why would they decide to turn around and fly some hundred kilometres back if there were technical problems? Pilots will always seek the closest airport for an emergency landing. The closest would have been, you guessed it right, Poznan. Then after standing in line for 2 hours straight all I was given was a taxi voucher and a little pamphlet about passenger rights with LH contact numbers. The best part is that the voucher was only valid for one specific taxi company whose drivers didn't even bother showing up at the airport. Ridiculous.

I'm still waiting for my compensation and a reimbursement for train tickets which I was forced to purchase since I couldn't wait 24 hours for the same flight the next day. Swiss for instance handle such situations in the professional manner one would expect from a quality airline. You get an ATM card with a 250 Euro credit on it, a 4 star hotel voucher, dinner and breakfast voucher, plus they put you on the next earliest possible flight even with a different airline. Lufthansa is a bunch of incompetent amateurs.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

My flight LH 413 got cancelled last night from Newark because of engine issue while we were about to board the flight. Had to go back to the counter to get a different flight. Being a Business class passenger with gold membership; the agents could not help. Had only 4 people in front of me and the line wasn’t moving at all. Just gave a taxi voucher after made it wrong 3 times and said no flight until 3 days. They had no clue how to handle passengers. If business and first class passengers having this feeling; I can only imagine economy class. Now I am trying for last 2 hours to call 3 different numbers they gave us to book the alternate flights and none of them are working. Some are saying “busy; please call later”; some are not even going through. What a mess. One of the numbers I dialed 1-800-645-3880. Terrible experience.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I bought a ticket from Lufthansa after being directed to their website by Google. My Visa did not arrive in time for my flight and I had to reschedule for a later date. When I went online to suspend my reservation I was presented with 2 choices, Cancel my Reservation or Reschedule my Reservation. I had no assurance if I would have proper travel documents so all I could reasonably conclude was to cancel my reservation and reschedule once I had confirmation for traveling.

A week later, I received an email notification of a refund of taxes for the cancelled reservation. I never asked for a refund much less expected one as I intended on traveling with the next weeks. Once I knew of my travel dates, I called to reschedule my paid-for fare. I was told that the cancellation was a forfeiture of all monies and only the taxes were returned. In my opinion Lufthansa just ripped me off! I ADVISE NEVER EVER BOOK A FLIGHT WITH LUFTHANSA AIRLINE! This is the worse company in the world that games consumers to line the pocket with unethical profits!

Lufthansa Company Information