2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.00/5

Lufthansa Reviews

Original review: May 25, 2020

It baffles me how an airline expects to survive this economic disaster by holding customers' money for flights they are not flying. Lufthansa chose to cancel my flights and then refused to refund the money for those flights. To make it worse, they only allow contact with call centers in South Asia, manned by people who have no means of communicating with Lufthansa. So essentially Lufthansa cannot be bothered by customers asking for their money to be returned for flights Lufthansa is not flying. How do they expect to survive in the future if they treat their customers this poorly and steal from them?

They have no future if none of the customers return to their planes because they know they might be scammed again for hundreds or thousands of dollars. I suppose Lufthansa's only hope for survival now is to be bailed out by the governments, and have the taxpayers of the EU on the hook for the billions they will eventually lose when their customers turn to airlines that acted responsibly during the Covid pandemic.

Original review: April 11, 2020

To whom it may concern, My fiance and I were due to travel from New Zealand to Copenhagen to get married on the 6th of June 2020. However, due to Covid-19 raging in the World, our flights by Emirates were cancelled by the airline and they were so kind to re-book our trip for later this year at no cost. In fact, everything was cancelled. Our wedding venue, the Church where we supposed to get married, our honeymoon. I think most people can imagine the sadness and disappointment my fiance and I felt. We were working hard for 2 years to be able to afford the wedding and we were looking forward to finally celebrate with our loved ones.

On that note, my fiance’s mother was supposed to travel from Costa Rica to Krakow (where the wedding celebrations were originally going to be held) to see her son – whom she hasn’t seen for 3 years – getting married. So we called Lufthansa hoping that they would re-book her flight. They wouldn’t. They said that because it hasn’t yet been cancelled, we need to pay another 900 Euros to change the dates to later this year. Same route, same time, same everything – but a different date.

It is in my opinion so irresponsible, first of all, for Lufthansa not to suspend that flight when Emirates cancelled our flights on the same date. And second of all, to not be helpful in this time of crisis for everyone. It is incredibly disappointing to see how greedy some companies can be and taking advantage of this pandemic while the whole world has come together united spreading kindness and compassion. Obviously, we aren’t canceling our wedding, our trip, our honeymoon, my fiance’s mother’s trip, by choice, but because we were forced by the current situation to do so. Be safe, be kind, safe lives.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 9, 2020

In 2019, I booked a vacation to Europe for May 2020 and due to the virus my flight to Europe was cancelled by American Airlines. American fully refunded me for my ticket with no strings attached. One leg of my European trip was on Lufthansa departing Frankfurt May 4 with destination Malta. As everyone knows this flight is not feasible due to the virus and the 14 day quarantine requirements in Germany/Malta. Lufthansa will only allow a rebooking if the new ticket is used by December 31, 2020.

How does that work for customers like myself who travel during school holidays? Who in their right mind is going to Europe for holiday in the summer of 2020, or at best, currently booking travel to Europe for summer 2020? So essentially, Lufthansa's rebooking policy doesn't provide any relief for USA citizens on leisure travel. Next time avoid Lufthansa and use a more customer friendly airline. Vueling for example allows rebooking through 6/30/2021. Not a great policy but at least I have a chance to use the ticket in May/June 2021.

Original review: April 8, 2020

I purchased two return flight plane tickets from Gdansk, Poland to Houston, TX months prior. I even paid extra for seat assignments because I did not want to do another United Airlines. United Airlines assigned me two seats that were not together which is not good flying 11 hours without being able to comfort someone who has issues with flying. Anyway on Feb. 8th, 2020, I went on the Lufthansa app to see if I can prepay for an additional checked in luggage. The app gave me an upgrade price that was a little more than an additional luggage and would include the extra luggage for free. So I decided to make the upgrade on the flight from Gdansk to Frankfurt and then Frankfurt to Germany and I paid for the new seat assignment too.

Later on that day, I got a text from my credit card that my limit was low. I went to check why and it seems that Lufthansa charged me over $3000 USD when the app told me it was going to be about $1000 USD. I started trying to get a hold of Lufthansa Customer Service. Since I was traveling away from home, it was difficult for me to get my cellular roaming service long enough to call Lufthansa. When I was able to get through, I was met with voice recording after another because their Customer Service was getting "slammed" due to some northern European storm. When I did get a hold of Customer Service (after 2 hours of waiting each time), Customer Service kept telling me that I bought non refundable tickets, so I could not get a refund. I explained that I was trying to cancel the upgrades since the price has increased substantially from what I was originally informed.

After going in circles in multiple conversations due to accidental hang ups from Lufthansa Customer Service, I finally got someone who told me that I had to go through Ticketing instead of Customer Service and I could not contact Ticketing directly. Customer Service has to request someone from Ticketing to call the customer back which was an issue for me as, again, I was in the middle of a trip with bad roaming cellular service.

Unfortunately, it seems that my fiancée had to threaten fraud charges on their Facebook page before we actually got a response. The same day she did that I got an email from someone in Ticketing stating they were trying to call me so I immediately gave them a local resident's phone number where I finally felt like I was getting proper service. I was informed that the app seems to have classified me one way which gave me a good upgrade price for the flights, but the error in classification was corrected just before billing.

The Ticketing agent told me that they would refund the upgrades and reset my tickets to the original along with the old seating assignments. So, we waited a few days and the upgrades were refunded, but the upgraded seat assignments were not which were around another $132 USD. I then spent a few more weeks attempting to get a hold of Ticketing again through Customer Service. And again, it seems my fiancée had to make another threat on their Facebook page before we got someone that was not giving us the run around again. And again, over the phone, we were informed that the seat assignment refunds has now been requested and we should see that in 10 days. This was Mar. 2nd, 2020.

Today is Apr. 8th, 2020, and I have been "reminding Lufthansa" on Facebook about the promised seat assignment refunds every few days. And this is the response we are now getting from Lufthansa... "Hi, here's our statement on refunds: "Refunds continue to remain possible. Our service centers, however, are at present giving priority to necessary rebookings and the coordination of repatriation flights.We are also aware of the legal situation and refunds of course continue to remain possible. We kindly ask for your understanding that due to the current situation it is not possible to uphold the usual deadlines." /Jack"

At this point, it seems that our return flight to Poland maybe canceled due to the COVID-19 flight cancellations/slowdown, which now has me wondering about that too. I have seen companies make it very difficult to get in contact with someone who could actually help a customer and even harder to cancel or get refunds. Usually, these companies make a living this way such as AOL, gym memberships, and other sketchy companies. I never expected this sort of experience with a major traveling company. Especially about the part of refusing to document their customer service actions, discussions, and refunds. Everything is done by the phone which has no real record. They practically ignore emails and forms submitted from their website.

Original review: March 24, 2020

Hello, I had booked flight tickets for my aged in-laws on 13th Feb 2020. After 2 days of booking the primary passenger ((Stanislaus/Joseph **) passed away as he met with accident. First I was asking to refund fully and they requested Power of Attorney and I sent to them. And after that they said it is not valid and they apologized for that and asked me to send more documents and it is too hard to get all the documents from my country immediately and I asked to refund the money after the penalty.... So I asked the customer agent to cancel the ticket for the deceased passenger and after confirming with agent that there is a 190 euro of penalty. They cancelled it and confirmed with reference code of ** and he promised it is in refund queue. But now I want to cancel the other passenger ticket also for the other passenger as she can't travel alone and also due to COVID-19 but the airline keep on asking for my in-law death certificate and other details.

All I wanted to cancel both tickets with penalty of 190 Euro.. But the airline does not respond all the details as they we have to confirm with finance department. Original booking code for 2 passengers is ** and Cancellation of Primary passenger booking reference booking code: **. Really very much disappointed with the Big airlines like Lufthansa.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lufthansa?

Original review: March 19, 2020

I have been on call for 3 hours trying to change my existing reservation due to Covid-19. Lufthansa drops my call every 35 mins. I am really frustrated now and don’t know how to contact them. This is really the worst customer service I have experienced so far.

Original review: March 14, 2020

I purchased premium seats for a March 2020 flight that was cancelled due to COVID 19 worldwide pandemic. I could not fly overseas, let alone through Germany. Spent $600 for premium seats and cancelled flight in advance of departure. DESPITE no flight, no service, LUFTHANSA REFUSES REFUND. Customer Service is tone-deaf and heartless.

I agree service by phone and web is horrible. Airlines is horrible too. I have 35 years plus international travel and have NEVER experienced such horrible customer service (Philip ** in customer relations). Simply heartless, money-grubbing company. The company does not understand that a worldwide pandemic is not license to STEAL money from people. WORSE AIRLINE EVER> NEVER USE.

Original review: March 4, 2020

Their customer service easily the worst in the world. The Australian service Center number goes to Philippines. The service officers cannot speak English and do not understand simple instructions. I asked for my ticket to be changed due to a death of a family member. I provided all supporting documents. They didn’t reply for over a week. I had to call every day. Finally, over the phone, they said we have received all your documents. However, we can’t help. I have never experienced such low quality customer service elsewhere. Stay away from Lufthansa.

Original review: March 4, 2020

I cancelled my flight because of coronavirus. I was assured that it will take 10 business days to get refund. It has been 10 days and still no refund. I rang them and told me that I have to wait for another 10 business days... I would never ever use Lufthansa again!!!!

Original review: March 4, 2020

I booked a flight for Italy at the end of March. Because of the coronavirus, Lufthansa's site it was allowing rebooking. When attempting to do so, a link titled "refund tickets" came up. I clicked it, hoping for a refund instead of a rebooking. It cancelled my flight. I would have never just cancelled and lost my money. I would have rebooked. I called their customer support, and was told a hold would be put on the request, and that my tickets were still valid. The next day I got an email from Travelocity informing me my flights had been cancelled. I called Lufthansa back. I spoke with a second person who said I would receive a waiver and that if I contacted Travelocity, they could process the refund. When I did that they contacted Lufthansa, which told them the tickets would not be refunded.

I called Lufthansa again, and was told there could be no reversal. When I asked for a manager, they put me on hold and then hung up. I called again and the fourth person told me the other persons should have never told me anything. They also would not put me in touch with a manager. It is clear they only intended to give a customer a run-around until they give up trying to get a refund. This is no way to run a business. I will remember how I was treated, will tell everyone who listens, and will never fly Lufthansa.

Lufthansa Company Information