2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.66/5

Korean Airlines Reviews

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

We are on a trip from Cebu to SFO. We are a group of 4 (with a 2 year old who has mood swings). I’ve requested for a child restraint so me and the toddler already have seats assigned that cannot be changed. And the seat beside us have already been taken during web checkin. So we went to the airport hoping they can help us with our arrangement. Our flight to Incheon (stopover) went well without problem with the seating but our flights to Sfo was that me and my 2year old are seated together while my husband and other child at our back. I’ve requested for us to be seated together as it is hard to go through a 13hour flight without my husband sitting beside me. But Korean Air people (everyone) in the transfer desks of Nov 29, 2019 at 6:40am said they cannot do anything for us to sit together as all the seats are already taken.

Take note we are already in the airport 10hours before the flight. We are a family in the same booking. So I told them it is a very hard situation for us, for sure they can override the seat assignments (which all airlines do all the time!) especially in this very needed case. And again they said they cannot do anything. The other older guy was even very strictly unsympathetic. I said, has anybody been in this situation and requested for a seat together and just get denied. He said yes. What kind of “family-friendly” airline are they advertising about? Clearly they were very unsympathetic. I even cried in frustration over the stupidity of their customer “service”. We never had a problem before with any airline about seating together.

This is the first time ever that we were not seated together as a family which is very ironic for their “family-friendliness” and then just get denied after explaining the hardship and the validity of the request (again we requested this even 16hours before departure in Cebu) but always get “I AM SORRY MA'AM WE CANNOT DO ANYTHING.” Anybody in my position with a family will surely be frustrated with this kind of response. So we will never fly with Korean Air again. Eva Air was way better. And now I understand why Korean Air is not on the top 10 of the best airlines of this year. So my advice to all families, don’t ever take Korean Air. #koreanair #evaair

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

So I receive an email from Korean Air saying our flight has been reschedule to the next day. We booked via Expedia, who informed us as soon as it changed. We asked booked our hotels either side of the trip and as a result, we need to forfeit a night as well as purchase a night extra before this flight. I'm really not happy with this. Korean Air has a customer service plan on their site which clearly states that if any flight cancellation or delays, they will help pay for overnight stay and any delays. I emailed them about this, their reply was, since they reschedule before my travel date, no compensation and that they can change their reschedule whenever they need to. As a result, I now will never want to travel with them again. Their email lacks any apology and they can treat customers like this. How very irresponsible and obviously not bothered about their customers. Bad customer service experience!

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 23, 2019

Terrible service and customer support. When I arrived in Tokyo, they informed me they lost my bag, only gave me 10 bucks for lunch. Told me my bag would get there the day after. It took 3 additional days to get my bag. No call from them.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I'd love to travel Korean Airlines since I have experienced one of the best customer services. They are polite, kind and always trying to listen to me. The price is relatively higher than other competitive airlines but worthwhile to travel with it in terms of safety, food, cabin services. Highly recommended! I have traveled a lot with budget airlines which offer you little.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Booked 2 business class tickets online from Seoul to Tel Aviv for almost $8,000. When I told my friend in Israel when I would arrive (October 8 in the evening) he pointed out that it is the Day of Atonement and the airport is closed and has been so many years on that day. I called Korean Airlines to change the date of my arrival explaining the flight will probably be canceled. First they tell me it will not, then they want to charge me $300 change fee. I then asked to talk to a manager, long hold, same agent comes and tells me he can cancel my booking at no fee and I can rebook with different dates. Why not tell me right away? I ask for a cancelation confirmation so I can verify that a refund would come, long hold, there is no cancelation code or email. Even Southwest Airlines has better systems for a $4 9 flight booking!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Korean Airlines?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

They use terrible business practices when it comes to customer service. Purchased tickets online and chose our seats. Changed our seats at gate. This is unacceptable. I believe they sold our seats as premium seats and put us in undesirable center row seats. Very poor customer service, they don't care at all about customer.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I just bought 2 ticket from San Francisco to Thailand AFTER already purchased tickets back in August because my original credit card was stolen. I originally bought tickets for myself and my wife back in August to travel back to Thailand after attending my son's wedding in the US. During the time I've been in the US, my credit card was stolen. So, I reported to my credit card company and destroyed the card according to the instruction. Then I received a replacement for my credit card. I understand the check in process that I need to present my credit card; however, I don't have my credit card with me anymore.

So, I provided my bank August statement showing the transactions for 2 tickets I purchased. Then I showed my current statement to show the continuity of the credit card. However, the agent refused to acknowledge the stolen credit card nor the statement provided. The agent demanded that I called the credit card company to provide the information, which I did. However, per the credit card security company, none of the credit card agent was able to identify my stolen credit card nor able to provide an evidence. AFTER a long 20 minutes of waiting and frustration, I ended my embarrassed and painful moment by purchasing new tickets to just go back to my country. This is so unprofessional and no regulation/ procedures to cover a stolen credit card. The agent was rude and not helpful. Please do not do any business with them. Not worth the money you spend.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I booking award ticket with Korean Air from ATL to SGN on Jan. 01, 2019, reservation number **. On Oct. 1, 2018 I called to requested to change departure date early so I can travel with my family on Oct. 28, 2018 because they needs my help. The lady answer the phone very nice to explained that she can put me on the waitlisted and advise me to call back to check to confirm the seat. However, when I called asks to speak with Skypass representative and get refused I did explains my situation but the customer service so cruel by insulted me that my ticket is reward ticket, it not the revenue ticket so I have to wait.

Even though, there still 2 available seat on Oct. 28, 2018 flight. She also said I only can get confirm when nobody pay for the seat. And if I want to travel with my family then I have to pay for the ticket like other people on the flight. I feel hurt and upset by the way the Korean Air customer service treat me different because I book my flight with reward. I want to escalate this complain and demand the good explanation regarding to the way I been treated unfairly and insulting by Korean Air.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I had a relative in Vietnam. Went to Korean Air Office at Diamond Plaza, floor 909, Ho Chi Minh City. Request advance seat reservation, flight Delta. Depart Oct. 26, 2018 from Mobile, Alabama (MOB) to Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam (SGN) (one way ticket). 2 stops from Mobile (MOB) to Atlanta (ATL) and Atlanta to Incheon - ICN (Korean Air) and from Incheon to Ho Chi Minh-SGN (Korean Air). The Rep refused to provide seat with the unacceptable reason that because I'm a US Citizen so that I have to buy another return ticket to US otherwise the ticket travel to Vietnam is invalid to Korean Air.

I called Delta Airlines to verify about above incident and they told me my trip is confirmed From Mobile (MOB) to Ho Chi Minh (SGN). I've been travel many times to Vietnam, I stayed there 6 months or so as long as my Vietnam Visa is still valid and I go back to US anytime I wish. The Rep at the Ho Chi Minh Office is lack of understanding about the airline policies when they refused providing seat and Korean Air won't let check in from Atlanta if I refused to buy another ticket return to U.S. (It's unbelievable).

Resolution response: April 12, 2018

We received a full refund after I wrote them an email. I take back my recent compaint.

Original review: March 30, 2018

My assistant accidentally double booked a business trip for four travelers, including myself. We were under the impression that our flights were just changed until today. We were not given the information in time that we needed to cancel the second flight within 24 hours. Our assistant attempted to cancel the flight but they would not allow her to do so. They told her that the cardholder needed to cancel within 15 minutes of her calling them. I was not contacted in time. They allowed her to book the flights but not cancel the flight. I spoke to several people. They are not willing to refund anything except the tax. They are attempting to overcharge us by $14,739.80. Calling our attorney!

Not sure about Korean Airlines?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Airlines for you.

Korean Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

Headquartered in Seoul, Korean Airlines is the largest airline in South Korea. This airline's combined passenger and cargo divisions offer service to 127 cities worldwide.

• Free checked baggage: Korean Airlines offer up to two free checked bags for economy-class passengers.

• 24-hour cancellation: Travelers can cancel a flight and get a full refund on the purchase price if plans change and the flight is canceled within 24 hours.

• Rewards program: Membership in the Korean Airlines rewards program offers an extra free checked bag, access to the priority check-in desk and more.

• International currency options: Korean Airlines accept payments in a variety of currency options such as USD, EUR, GBP and more.

• Partnership airlines: Travelers can earn rewards on flights booked with any Korean Airlines partners. That's more than 33 different airlines to choose from.

• Best for: Vacationers and business travelers heading to Asia.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Korean Airlines Company Information