2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.93/5

Korean Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Korean Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Korean Airlines?

Original review: March 21, 2020

My wife and I recently traveled to the Philippines on Korean Air. Flying out of JFK to Incheon with a connecting flight to Manila. Service was on time and the staff at the check-in counter to the stewardesses were very polite and helpful. One of our bags was about 2 pounds overweight and they asked us to be more careful next time but allowed the bag through without extra charge. The food on the flight was not bad. I would fly this airline again.

Original review: March 15, 2020

Korean Airlines rerouted me over 1000km from my destination, which, of course, necessitated canceling my flight with the assurance of a "partial refund". I received $0.01. I will never fly with KA again.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 9, 2020

I am beyond frustrated. I called Korean Air a few weeks ago to change my flight of course then refused to do so without a fee. We are a family of 6 so we decided to continue or trip planning which included hotels and local flights in Thailand. Korean Air cancelled my flight 2 days before my scheduled departure and only cancelled Dallas-SEOUL. My connection SEOUL-BANGKOK was still scheduled.

It took 4 days and over 100 calls (2 hours + on hold) before I was able to speak to someone. She was extremely rude, unapologetic and wanted me to pay a penalty fee for not showing up to my connection flight (ARE THEY FREAKING KIDDING?) The representative name was JODY and she was honestly the worst customer service rep I have ever encounter. After another 1+ over the phone they agreed to waive the penalty fee and said they would issue a refund which could take weeks. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER! It's honestly a shame how they are dealing with the whole situation. This was going to be my 1st time flight with them, but I would never do it now.

Original review: March 8, 2020

Decided to have family trip with my 1&6 yr old boys. Obviously I do not want to change our plan to visit Korea. It’s not easy even getting to decide a long distance trip with young kids. So much to think and prepare! My older son has autism & seizure condition. Now do I have a choice to keep our plan to visit Korea with young kids while corona virus rapidly spreading and killing people? Does KOREAN AIR care about that? If you care, there will be no penalty for canceling ticket. Later KOREAN Air gave us an option which is paying fee to change departure day before June. No one will feel safe flying even in June. If it’s after May, have to pay fare differences which KOREAN Air raised recently. No word for that. Wish I don’t need to deal with KOREAN AIR no more. Very disappointed and almost sad that this is one of big airlines in KOREA.

Original review: March 1, 2020

It’s a shame that Korean Airlines will not refund airline tickets at a time like this. Who in their right mind would want to travel to Korea now with all so many people getting the coronavirus and especially when a Korean Air flight attendant was just confirmed having the the virus. For the past 30 years I have been loyal to Korean Air and whenever we travel to Asia from Los Angeles we have always flown with Korean Air and have always recommended our family and friend to fly with Korean Air.

At times like this Korean Air should show their gratitude to their loyal clients and refund their tickets so that we can continue to be loyal to them. Shame on you Korean Air!!! As the virus is getting worse in Korea you will evidently have to refund our tickets but too bad you didn’t have enough class to offer it your loyal clients first!!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

If you ever consider flying with Korean Air, DO NOT fly with them! Korean Air only cares about money and not their passenger’s well being. My elderly mother was going to fly from VN to USA. In this past week, South Korea jumped to the rank #2 of confirmed cases of Coronavirus behind China. As of 02/27, South Korean has 1,766 confirmed cases. Their pilot got the coronavirus as well. Korean Air website stated they waive the refund penalty and refund would be delayed with instructions on how to cancel the reservation online. I followed the instruction and then got an email and also voicemail from Korean Air asking about the refund. They lied and told me there isn’t a waiver. They told me to cancel my dispute with my credit card company. What a TERRIBLE airline!!! They only care about MONEY! Passengers BEWARE! Do not fly with KOREAN AIR.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

With more thousands of cases of corona virus, they are trying to pretend they don’t hear their customers’s beg to cancel all flights to South Korea and give them full refund. They even ghost their customer service phone line. No answer at all when calling +1-800-438-5000. These people only care about the money they make from flying people. Once they are done with the trips, they don't care about how many more people will die and be infected with the virus. They don't even care if their own customers will catch the virus and die tomorrow. Money comes first, huh Korean Air? Wait until it’s your turn to be honored to fly into a hive full of killer bees.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

It does not make any sense or fairness that Korean Airlines is actually penalizing customers who are trying to maintain and preserve the health of their families. This pandemic is a major concern to all families around the world and therefore I was utterly surprised and disgusted to learn that a cancellation due to this pandemic was being treated as a "normal" cancellation. So Korean Airlines is saying if you chose to cancel your flight due to your duty to try and prevent your family from contacting this pandemic in flight we will fine you and not support you and will relate to cancellations of flights in this period as "normal' cancellations. So profit is more important than health... Bad airline...

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

Worse service ever. Booked my mother’s ticket from Fiji-London. Along the way Korean air stop operating from Fiji. I was just given flight from Sydney without a choice. I called them up saying that Sydney is a different country. Then I was given ticket from Nadi-Auckland-Seoul- London. On the day of the flight Korean air messes things up and my mother was refused boarding. We had to cancel the ticket and Korean air took USD 400 for the mess up they did. Their obligation was not fulfilled. Totally disgusting behaviour???? I wrote to customer care department but they refuse to refund the whole amount putting the blame on me for changing the itinerary from Sydney to Auckland but it was Korean Air that changed the whole schedule first. Nothing was done to Korean air but it's customers who pay the price. Terrible customer service.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

We are on a trip from Cebu to SFO. We are a group of 4 (with a 2 year old who has mood swings). I’ve requested for a child restraint so me and the toddler already have seats assigned that cannot be changed. And the seat beside us have already been taken during web checkin. So we went to the airport hoping they can help us with our arrangement. Our flight to Incheon (stopover) went well without problem with the seating but our flights to Sfo was that me and my 2year old are seated together while my husband and other child at our back. I’ve requested for us to be seated together as it is hard to go through a 13hour flight without my husband sitting beside me. But Korean Air people (everyone) in the transfer desks of Nov 29, 2019 at 6:40am said they cannot do anything for us to sit together as all the seats are already taken.

Take note we are already in the airport 10hours before the flight. We are a family in the same booking. So I told them it is a very hard situation for us, for sure they can override the seat assignments (which all airlines do all the time!) especially in this very needed case. And again they said they cannot do anything. The other older guy was even very strictly unsympathetic. I said, has anybody been in this situation and requested for a seat together and just get denied. He said yes. What kind of “family-friendly” airline are they advertising about? Clearly they were very unsympathetic. I even cried in frustration over the stupidity of their customer “service”. We never had a problem before with any airline about seating together.

This is the first time ever that we were not seated together as a family which is very ironic for their “family-friendliness” and then just get denied after explaining the hardship and the validity of the request (again we requested this even 16hours before departure in Cebu) but always get “I AM SORRY MA'AM WE CANNOT DO ANYTHING.” Anybody in my position with a family will surely be frustrated with this kind of response. So we will never fly with Korean Air again. Eva Air was way better. And now I understand why Korean Air is not on the top 10 of the best airlines of this year. So my advice to all families, don’t ever take Korean Air. #koreanair #evaair

Korean Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

Headquartered in Seoul, Korean Airlines is the largest airline in South Korea. This airline's combined passenger and cargo divisions offer service to 127 cities worldwide.

• Free checked baggage: Korean Airlines offer up to two free checked bags for economy-class passengers.

• 24-hour cancellation: Travelers can cancel a flight and get a full refund on the purchase price if plans change and the flight is canceled within 24 hours.

• Rewards program: Membership in the Korean Airlines rewards program offers an extra free checked bag, access to the priority check-in desk and more.

• International currency options: Korean Airlines accept payments in a variety of currency options such as USD, EUR, GBP and more.

• Partnership airlines: Travelers can earn rewards on flights booked with any Korean Airlines partners. That's more than 33 different airlines to choose from.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Korean Airlines Company Information