3.39/5

Looking for a travel site?

Kenya Airways

Looking for a travel site?

Kenya Airways Reviews

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

We missed our 8.30am Kenya Airways flight (the airlines fault - not ours) from Nairobi to Kilimanjaro. The staff at the Kenya Airways desk initially insisted that we pay the full fare for a new flight at 5.00pm. When we refused to do so they said there were Business Class seats available on the 1.30pm flight which we could have for the difference between the Business and Economy fares. With reluctance we asked what the difference in price would be. The Kenya Airways staff member told us she had checked the price twice on- line and it was $US210 per person. We agreed to pay the difference on the basis that we would dispute the cost later with Kenya Airways.

In order to create a paper trail we insisted on paying by credit card. We were told that if we paid cash we could pay at the internal Kenya Airways desk. If we insisted on paying by card we would have to go back through Security, buy another visa (as we had technically left Kenya) and pay at the Kenya Airways desk on the concourse. When my partner eventually got to the Kenya Airways desk on the concourse the staff again said he needed to pay cash. When he refused they suggested they would void the reserved Business Class seats. He continued to insist on paying by card.

At that point the price for the upgrade mysteriously dropped from $US210 to $US184 per person. Our conclusion was that the relevant Kenya Airways staff had intended to take the additional $US52 as a "commission". By the way, my partner wasn’t required to buy another visa. And we discovered on the flight that our upgrade to Business Class entitled us to the grand total of a glass of water and a wet towel. We will never fly with Kenya Airways again!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

Service is terrible, from the check in clerks to the flight attendants. Every effort seems to be made to be rude, unhelpful, unpleasant and to go against the policies stated on their websites. Never on any airline or in any country have we been treated so poorly. The entire staff should be prison guards. Perhaps their poor customer service skills would be appropriate there. Filthy restrooms, terrible food- all carbs (?!) and cold rude flight attendants who manage to humiliate the hundreds of customers on board. How do they respond in emergencies?

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 8, 2019

The customer service is appalling. Never to be used again in my lifetime. This was en route to Zim and when coming back the same the people who work for Kenya Airways do not care about people and yet it's the people who are paying their salaries. The staff at Harare they need more customer service training. when it comes to put a simple claim for delayed luggage, delayed flights they frustrate you so you do not do it. They actual told me "your flight was not delayed" and when I gave them their letter of delayed just apologised as if nothing has happened. My name is Jonathan **.

Original review: May 9, 2019

We will never fly with Kenya Airways again. Flight - Johannesburg on 30 April 2019 (departure at 01:55) via Nairobi (departure at 07:50), to Zanzibar. Flight numbers were respectively KQ765 and KQ490. My booking reference is **. Two Travellers. File Ref: **. Two bags were checked in at Johannesburg and we were advised that both bags would be transferred directly to Zanzibar. Both Bags did not arrive.

We received one bag at only 12pm on 1 May 2019, but not the bag of second traveler (Bag Tag number: **). Our hotel advised us that they were notorious for this and would try and assist as Kenya Airways does this to a lot of its guests. Kenya Airways staff in Johannesburg checked both bags in under the name of one of the travelers - who knows why. We have STILL not received the luggage and have been advised that it missing as no one knows its whereabouts. We still have received no substantive feedback from Kenya Airways, despite request. We have asked to formally make a claim for compensation in writing. No one responds.

No one in the organisation seems to have a clue - as to what is happening, who knows what or as to how to resolve this... This is completely unacceptable and unprofessional. We require urgent return of the baggage. Failing this, compensation of the full contents thereof (contents can be provided on request). We have never received such poor service in my life. This trip was our Honeymoon and Kenya Airways should be ashamed.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I was travelling from Mumbai to Kigali Transit in NBO around 8 hrs, while I reach home found stolen mobile from check in luggage. Sent an email. No response from their side. It was seal packed mobile, charger. Everything is there, even I have IMEI no so that they can track thief using CCTV footage.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kenya Airways?

Original review: March 8, 2019

Firstly, my overall experience with Kenya Airways has been a grave disappointment. I've yet to complete my return journey and hope there is room for improvement. Nevertheless, yesterday was a horrible start for me (being my first experience with KQ in 2018). I was under the impression due to increased capacity in flying to internationally, include the United States, I will be able to begin accumulating mileage with Kenya Airways, but I was sadly mistaken. Over the past three months I've had continuous written debate/dialogue with the airline and their "resolution" is 3000 miles or $100 voucher for the same airline. Without considering all of the losses I incurred during this trip.

My multiple destination ticket is as follows: depart 10/12 Juba, SS to Kigali, Rwanda (transit in Nairobi), depart 14/12 Kigali, Rwanda to Nairobi (transit in Burundi), and 16/12 Nairobi to Juba, SS. Upon the first flight from Juba, there was an hour delay; as I began to notice the allotted time left, I immediately approached Kenya Airways staff, expressing my concerns. Since the flight to Kigali was 6:30 PM and due to the delay, I would arrive in Nairobi shortly before the Kigali flight departure. Their response, reflected the ability for me to join the 9PM flight by Rwandair, but the system was not allowing them to make the changes from Juba. Therefore I was recommended to immediately approach the help/transfer desk in Nairobi.

As optimistic as I remained throughout my flight to Nairobi, my hopes were completely shattered. The rep (unfortunately, I don't recall her name) informed me the next available flight will be Tuesday, 11 December at 7AM. I insisted the rep make a stronger effort to grant me a seat on the Rwandair flight, due to my pending appointments/hotel bookings in Kigali. I even offered to pay a fare difference (even if the only seat available was in Business class; I will pay), but I was unsuccessful.

I exclaimed, my medical condition (epilepsy) will be triggered since I failed to put enough medication in my carry on bag, but again was told I will not be able to receive my checked in bag. She offered to place me in a hotel and a free transit visa. I expressed my hotel in Kigali has been paid for and I will not be able to receive a refund, due to this occurrence, but the rep presented no comforting suggestions. Though, I continued to inform the rep, I have a doctor's appointment in Kigali (the main purpose of my short visit-1st time to the city), but she was unable to ease my concerns.

Moving forward, I was sent to the rep responsible for issuing the hotel voucher. I insisted the pick-up be at 4:30, but he stated 4 AM is the most appropriate. Being a non-Kenyan; unfamiliar with the main distance from airport locations, I was placed in a hotel chosen by Kenya Airways. Unknowingly, the hotel was 40 mins away from the airport. I arrived in Nairobi at 6:30 and didn't arrive to the hotel until 8:50 PM. Nairobi was cold and rainy; in which I was highly unprepared for such temperatures causing great distress to my physical state.

As an airline highly aware of Nairobi's traffic, I would assume if seeking the best interest of the client, the hotel placement would be fairly closer to airport to avoid any delays, etc. Again, it proved Kenya Airways to be highly insensitive towards the customers. Due to the change of flight, I was unable to see the doctor as planned today. I plan to do a "walk-in" tomorrow, with the hope to receive an opening (which is unpredictable). My four nights trip was shortened to 3 nights and I pray I'm able to receive my medical check-up as planned.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

We will never ever use Kenya Airways again and my advice to others is to stay away from Kenya Airways. The service we received on the 8th of January 2019 was terrible. My wife was traveling to Ethiopia aboard Kenya Airways. We got the surprise of our lives when we were told that my wife could only check in one bag from the 2 bags she had packed. We have always used Kenya Airways and we have always been allowed to check in 2 bags. In fact her flight to South Africa with Kenya Airways she checked in 2 bags. We tried to get an explanation from the staff but the staff was very unhelpful, rude and arrogant. In the end we had to part with R700 for the other bag. This is the worst experience I have experienced. The attitude from the staff was terrible. We will never use this airline again.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

My wife and I had our bags broken into and our expensive belongings were stolen from the bags. The interior of the plane itself is quite revolting with bugs and filth, and to make things worse I was seated next to a filthy drunkard who smelt like he had not showered in a year. Staff have are incredibly lazy. When we landed I emailed the airline to complain about my bags being broken into but up to date I have not received a response. I was quite disappointed because I booked through Etihad and not Kenya Airways. Etihad however uses Kenya Airways for some of its flights.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I took a flight from Ukraine on 29th June to Dubai reconnecting with Kenya Airways to Nairobi. So before I left Dubai I confirmed with the guy at the check in, "Have you loaded my luggage???" He answered, "Yes. Sure." He even showed me in the system my luggage was aboard. Suprised when I reached Nairobi no luggage. I confirmed with the guy because my other 4 friends students like me didn't get their luggage. My luggage had all my clothes. Now it is 9 days. I am still waiting. I don't know what it takes to find a single bag with easy route like that. Anyway after me my friend came with the same flight from Ukraine. Unfortunately the same problem. I am really disappointed. I have used Lufthansa and Emirates Ukrainian International. I haven't seen poor service like this. I really regret my flight with KA but am done with KA. When you will have international standards I'll think of boarding with you. Thank you and please find my luggageI!

Original review: July 7, 2018

I traveled from Manchester via CDG to Nairobi on Kenya Airways. My expectation has always been low having traveled on them several times. On arrival at NBO airport, I was held at NBO Airport by Immigration for libelous comments made on file which if were remotely true I would be in prison which is a separate issue, but because of this I was unable to claim my luggage. Due to this my luggage is now missing which contains extremely urgent medical supplies and the few items I have from my deceased father, does anyone care less from Kenya Airways? NO.

I have spent since Immigration released me 36 hours later looking for my case which I now presume stolen as I can get no sense from anybody or talk to anybody that seems to care absolutely disgraceful. Their online chat line and their email to customer services you receive no response from, only 1 lady has tried to help based in NBO so we have amassed a huge telephone bill as their office in London as we live in the UK is seemingly completely disinterested. The whole experience aside from being locked in a cell for over 30 hours for no reason has been my absolute worst nightmare and all I want is my suitcase back with my medical supplies ASAP.

Kenya Airways Company Information