2. Travel
  3. Airlines

2.7/5 (142 ratings)

About Kenya Airways

Kenya Airways Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kenya Airways?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kenya Airways?

Original review: July 7, 2018

I traveled from Manchester via CDG to Nairobi on Kenya Airways. My expectation has always been low having traveled on them several times. On arrival at NBO airport, I was held at NBO Airport by Immigration for libelous comments made on file which if were remotely true I would be in prison which is a separate issue, but because of this I was unable to claim my luggage. Due to this my luggage is now missing which contains extremely urgent medical supplies and the few items I have from my deceased father, does anyone care less from Kenya Airways? NO.

I have spent since Immigration released me 36 hours later looking for my case which I now presume stolen as I can get no sense from anybody or talk to anybody that seems to care absolutely disgraceful. Their online chat line and their email to customer services you receive no response from, only 1 lady has tried to help based in NBO so we have amassed a huge telephone bill as their office in London as we live in the UK is seemingly completely disinterested. The whole experience aside from being locked in a cell for over 30 hours for no reason has been my absolute worst nightmare and all I want is my suitcase back with my medical supplies ASAP.

Original review: May 28, 2018

11 months ago, my 13 year old son sustained burn injury to his right thigh and abdomen from hot tea served by Kenya Airways cabin crew during the flight from Nairobi to Johannesburg while there was turbulence. When the event happened, they were not very efficient in seeing whether he was ok. I have put several complaints on their website. The last reply was that I will get feedback from their insurance department. Until now, they have been ignoring my complaint and I have received no feedback or even apology. Until now, my son still has the scars from this wound.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I was traveling to Mumbai on 3rd April 2018 KQ flight from Nairobi Mumbai. I was humiliated by Kenya Airways staff at Nairobi. In spite of confirmed seat I was moved to different seat locations in flight. The cabin crew argued and show a sign of hatred. Please don't fly KENYA AIRWAYS. ** airliner.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I want to use this opportunity to warn members of the public never to fly this airline. These guys are demons! #20hoursdelayedflight, #10daystogetluggage, #wreckedplanes, ** staffs especially the wicked witch at Guangzhou airport and the nincompoops at Lagos. Can't forget the horrible experience of flying with them.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

This company bait and switch with 787 Dreamliner. They sell tickets showing these airplanes and then change them to crappy, old planes just before the flight while knowing that those flight get never full enough to fly them with bigger, new planes. If this happened seldom it would be OK, but it happens all the time so it is clearly nothing but a shameful scam. They openly admitted the scam when I complained about this "procedure" in their office at O.R. Tambo airport in Johannesburg Wednesday morning.

Original review: July 3, 2017

Firstly, I would like to express my disappoint in Kenya Airways. It's not African Pride. Instead it's African Disgrace. I want the airline to reroute my flight due to the travel ban that was imposed by Saudi and 3 other countries onto Qatar. I have been emailing and contacting Kenya Airways on a daily basis but the lack of unprofessionalism by Aureliah ** and Tabitha ** is a shame to begin with. They never reply to your emails on time. The situation at hand which the airline is aware of should be treated with utmost urgency. But they don't empathize with the customer. I regret choosing this unscrupulous airline. Aureliah ** and Tabitha ** are incompetent. In fact the staff at the Kenya Airways Guest Support.

Original review: June 14, 2017

I flew out to Cape Town with Kenya Airways, with some trepidation. It had been going through a terrible cycle and had already squandered my patience. I landed into trouble when I found out my booking had not been loaded. It meant that I had to purchase a new ticket with exactly four minutes to spare before the desk was closed. A young customer services staffer seized my hand, sought a seat, run my card, grabbed my bags and hands, raced me through boarding, 15 seconds left, took me through security and handed me over to the other side, smiling. Boarding the flight, imagine my surprise to find a youthful, enthusiastic and obviously engaged crew welcoming passengers with a touch of humor and gentle hospitality.

The flight has to be chalked as one of the best flight experiences ever with Captain Frederick **, a person whose joy in flight was so infectious. He slowed down (hope it does not get him into trouble) so that both sides of the plane could view the majestic Kilimanjaro. He would later circumnavigate the area around the Victoria Falls so that we could all crane over to view the splendid view of this vision, and all the time offering a joyful but succinct commentary. We reached Cape Town and I was not the only passenger reluctant to leave what had been more than a plane ride from one destination to another. Fate would have it that on my return flight a week later, I would leave behind my laptop in the security tray. I only realized this had happened when I was about to board the flight back to Nairobi.

The ground staff were firm, polite and without making too many guarantees promised to look into the matter that was indeed my fault. On board, the crew were especially kind and reassuring to me knowing I was worried about data that had not been backed up (lesson learned). The very next day, early in the morning, I received a phone call from the Kenya Airways station manager at Cape Town.

He was at the police station attempting to release my vagrant computer and needed permissions from me. He undertook to get that computer on the first available flight to Nairobi and into my hands. And he did, that very evening. No prompting. No sweat, no expenses. Just care and professionalism with a bit of teasing thrown in all the way through. One of the finest and best human experiences for me. Ever fatwa that I had heaped upon the airline for its past omissions have been withdrawn. I am a KA loyalist once again. Thank you for going beyond the call of duty.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

I was traveling from Nairobi to Paris then to Philadelphia on the 28th of December 2016 by Kenya Airways. The flight took off but was directed back to JKIA 40 mins after take off due to cabin pressure. Was booked for 2 hrs in the hotel then informed by KA staff that the next flight would be at 9 am. That's when hell broke loose. Flight delayed for 3.5 hrs. When getting to Paris the plane was rerouted to London due to bad weather. Now remember I was to connect from Paris to Philadelphia. Am now stuck in London. I was lucky to be given a hotel by the airline and was informed my connecting flight would be booked to American Airlines.

Getting to the airport at Heathrow the following day American Airlines informs me that Kenya Airways did not book my ticket and the flight was leaving in an hour. Am now stuck at Heathrow and mark you I have a 3 year old child with me through all this ordeal. It's 10 am and am informed I have to go back to Kenya Airways office to resolve the issue. Am at terminal 3 and have to go back to terminal 5 with my 4 pieces of luggage with a crying child only to get there and informed that the office opens at 4 pm. I went back to terminal 3 and found 5 other travelers with the same problem from the same flight from Nairobi.

I was lucky enough to get another flight. It took me 3 days to get to Philadelphia instead of the 17 hours. Bye Bye Kenya Airways. You have lost a customer. I would not travel with this airline even for free. No apologies from management were made. Better pay more for the tickets and travel with a peace of mind than all the inconveniences Kenya Airways offers.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

On the 29th Dec 2016 flight to Nairobi from Paris at 10:10 am delayed for 6 hours. Eventually cancelled. Put up in hotel at 12:30am to arrive at checkin at 7am 30th Dec delayed again at 8pm. Cancelled another night in hotel 31st Dec 2016. Check in again. Cancelled again. These were due to fog but other aircraft arriving and departing. At about 1:30pm decided to reroute passengers. I went to Doha then Nairobi via Qatar Airways. Arrive in Nairobi 1 Jan 2017. No luggage. Kenya Airways says not responsible, the QA are. QA asked for my luggage refused by KA. They were going to send it 6th Jan 2017. Still no luggage.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2016

December 29th, 2016 KQ886 Flight Nairobi Kenya to Bangkok Thailand. Flight delay initially of 9 hours, then told it will be another 15 hours, then told no available flight for 4 days. I would have to remain in Nairobi until a flight is available. Complete confusion by all customer support personnel, inaccurate information and complete mismanagement of this airline. This is now the 3rd time we have experienced such poor airline service and reliability from Kenya Airlines. As noted by others who have posted complaints here the service personnel are rude and inconsiderate. The airline has little or no regard for their customers and the difficulties and costs that customers incur as a result of such mismanagement of this airline.

Wait for 4 days for another available flight is absurd and inexcusable! They provide no attempt to book you on any other flight or airline, they provide no lounge access or customer support while you are stranded in the airport. Every one of the customer service representatives we spoke to and the management members all had different excuses for the delays, incorrect information about the flight being rescheduled, lack of commitment or confirmation that seating and the next available flight would get me to my final destination.

This is the straw that has broken this camel's back. With 20+ years of international travel we will never utilize the services of this airline nor recommend it to anyone. I cannot believe that there is such a lack of customer service and support. In today's world with so many other airlines available and such strong competition in the marketplace that this airline has such poor customer service. Is it the airline or the lack of training or just the people themselves that do not care? I can only hope that these posts can be of assistance to others and a form of communication to this airline to improve its level of service, management and overall airline efficiency and integrity.

Updated on 01/10/2017: Continuing saga of dysfunctionality is continued from the outbound flights to now the inbound (return) flights. After the lengthy delays on the outbound flights December 29th, 2016 - Lusaka-Nairobi, Nairobi-Bangkok 25 hrs in total. The January 7th, 2017 flight KQ887 Bangkok to Nairobi arrived in Nairobi on time as scheduled at 06:00am. However the connecting flight KQ706 departing Nairobi to Lusaka departing at 07:40 did depart as scheduled but the luggage did not arrive at our destination and this was not the final destination as we have one more flight on a local airline the following day. Again customer service provided different reasons for the delayed luggage but assured us not to worry. We would have the luggage before the next day's connecting flight.

To our surprise Kenya Airways did manage to get the luggage to the arrival destination (Lusaka) some 5 hours later. We were contacted that the luggage had arrived and we must come to the airport to retrieve the luggage before 17:30pm that day as the office would be closed after that point in time (WOW! Just over 90 minutes until the office closes). We had to then take a taxi to the airport to retrieve the luggage and then taxi back to the hotel. Yes we have to retrieve the luggage! No delivery service provided! We asked for reimbursement for the taxi fares but were told that they do not reimburse for such costs (Customer Service at its finest).

Further to our dismal experience with this Airline we received an automated response from the Kenya Airways customer service department related to the 25 hr outbound flight delay on December 30th, 2016 stating that they would respond in 48 hrs. What is really sad is the same message noted European Flights KQ117, KQ113 and KQ101 were to "kindly expect a response in 21 days". 48 hours is just acceptable but 21 days? I really feel for those who suffered on the European flights during this holiday season as well.

Well it has been, not including weekend days (just to be fair) 8 days now from the Kenya Airways customer service communication with no reply communication and we at this point certainly are not surprised by the lack of follow up communication. Just additional assurance from this airline that the customers and its reputation as the "Pride of Africa" do not matter.

Kenya Airways Company Information