2.7/5 (143 ratings)

About Kenya Airways

Kenya Airways Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kenya Airways?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kenya Airways?

Original review: Dec. 19, 2014

The worst service I have ever received in my entire life. Assess and train your staff on customer services.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2014

I booked a ticket for my parents in laws in Malawi from Chennai to Lilongwe. Although I preferred Ethiopian Airways which I am used to, the agent at Satguru Travels counseled me that Kenya Airways has link with Jet Airways and that by paying US$200 extra one can opt for through luggage, meaning one collects the luggage at end destination Lilongwe once put in Chennai. He said it will be convenient for my elderly parents in laws. I agreed and to my shock and distress, my aged parents in law were refused the service at Chennai, citing no reasons, although co-passenger with them were given that privilege. This caused undue physical and emotional stress for the passengers and relatives, more so for me.

When I e-mailed the agent, he forwarded it to Kenya Airways which just gave an apology letter. The date of journey and incident happened on 1st October 2014, and until now I am running from pillar to post and Kenya Airways refuse to come up with any compensation. Sure I did not spent US$ 200 extra to read a fancy apology letter and take all the stress for both the elderly passengers and myself. Please anyone who plan to come from any part of India to Lilongwe through Mumbai, do not believe in Kenya Airways promises and false promotions.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2014

Today Saturday 25th Oct the midday flight KQ542 to Nairobi from Lagos, Nigeria has been cancelled. We found out around 8.15am. We were told that as we were only going to Nairobi and not an onward flight that we could not go on the evening flight. We were offered the Accra flight that would touch down and pick us in Lagos around midnight. We declined the offer of a Hotel and came back home. No explanation at all but it stinks of consolidation to me. Suits KQ but not their customers. Also means I have had to pay for a Hotel night.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2014

I booked flight in Kenya Airways from Kinshasa to Mumbai via Nairobi. My date of itinerary is 12-Sep-2014 night Kinshasa to Nairobi and 13-Sep-2014 evening Nairobi to Mumbai. Unfortunately 12-Sep-2014 got cancelled due to technical reason and they informed us they accommodate us in flight of 13-Sep-2014 morning and they provided hotel stay in Kinshasa.

As agreed they arranged seats on 13-Sep-2014. So, my revised itinerary changed to 13-Sep-2014 Kinshasa to Nairobi and 13-Sep-2014 Nairobi to Mumbai reaching Mumbai on 14-Sep-2014. As both 12th and 13th customers accommodated in the same flight of 13-Sep-2014 there was a heavy rush for check in at Kinshasa. I think the agents of Kenya Airways in Kinshasa might have not seen that much of crowd they messed up things in everything.

I stand up in the queue almost 3 hours before departure time and I got boarding pass @ 15 minutes before departure time.. The problem started here.. Actually they have to issue 2 boarding pass one for Kinshasa to Nairobi and Nairobi to Mumbai and arrange the checked baggage to be delivered to Mumbai as final destination. But they issued boarding pass only up to Nairobi and they transferred my luggage up to Nairobi only.

When I reached Nairobi it is already late and Nairobi to Mumbai flight is ready for departure and waiting for passengers from Kinshasa because that flight carrying more than 25-30 transit passengers to Mumbai. I did not had time to check for baggage in Nairobi and just collected Boarding pass in Nairobi as it was not issued in Kinshasa.

I reached Mumbai on 14-Sep-2014 morning and I know that baggage not going to come with the same flight I arrived because baggage is booked only until Nairobi. I waited till baggage clearance getting over and I made complaint to Kenya Airways representatives in Mumbai Jet Airways. I explained the situation and made formal complaint. They said they will arrange to get the baggage and will arrange to dispatch the baggage to my home to airport in Coimbatore. After my formal complaint the sequences of happenings as follows:

I made formal complaint on 14-Sep-2014 morning with Kenya Airways. I traveled from Mumbai to Coimbatore as per my itinerary. When I reached Coimbatore I got a surprise message from my wife that she got a call from Kenya Airways and they found out the baggage and they will arrange to transfer to Coimbatore as early as possible.

On 15-Sep-2014 morning I called customer care to know the status of my baggage. I got very surprised message from them.. The baggage already reached Mumbai and they are arranging to dispatch to Coimbatore and they will inform the tag number of my baggage once they dispatch. I got a call from Customer care in the evening and they informed me that my luggage is arriving Coimbatore @ 8.20 PM in Jet Airways and informed to go and collect the baggage. That gave very big surprise for me because they traced and transferred the luggage within 48 hours from complaint time.

Though it is mistake of one of the staffs/agents mistake in loading baggage to wrong location, the way they handled the complaint and arrange the baggage to reach my city is amazing.. Hats off to Kenya Airways and Jet Airways who is agent for Kenya Airways in India.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2013

Last year August we traveled to London on our way to Turkey. The lady at the check in was really chatty and forgot to put one of my bags on the belt. I arrived in London... No bag.. Upon inquiry, the bag was confirmed in Nairobi. It was supposed to arrive the next day.. Again no bag.. It will arrive at night. During this time I had to travel for a holiday to Turkey. Called them and KQ said they will put it on the next Turkish airlines flight.. Reached Istanbul. No help there as there is no KQ. Next I was told it will arrive to the hotel in Atlanta.. Went to holiday and had to buy lots of clothes for me and my daughter as we had no clothes. No iPad as it was in the bag. No chargers as they were in the bag. Followed it up but the KQ staff in Nairobi had a major turnover and the ones left behind.. No help.

Told to fill a claim for and deliver it with original receipts.. How can I when I have no receipts for most of the items? Up to date no luggage or compensation has been paid. Sad.... But still trying.

Original review: July 16, 2013

As a Diamond Medallion customer with Delta Airlines & SkyTeam partners, I'm allowed to check 3 pieces of luggage when traveling from North America to Africa. At check-in at JFK New York I checked in 1 piece of luggage and opted to carry on my laptop bag and another standard carryon piece. My connection in Amsterdam on KLM to Dubai was smooth as expected, and went on without a hitch. Upon my arrival in Dubai for my connecting flight on KQ to Nairobi was the beginning of my nightmare. First off, I noticed a gentleman standing at the entrance to the gate with a scale, and each passenger had to weigh all of their carrying pieces including duty free items. Needless to say, this was causing a great deal of debate and confusion, with many people being sent to the counter to pay extra fees for weight beyond 10 Kilos.

When it was my turn, my laptop bag was fine but I was told that I had to gate check the other bag because it would not fit in the overhead bin. Needless to say, I was confused by this because I travel on the same 767 Aircraft all the time and never had a problem fitting the bag in the overhead bin. In any event, I complied with the gate check request. When I arrived in Nairobi, my gate checked bag had not arrived as expected. I filed a lost baggage claim, and was told the bag would arrive the next day. When I didn't hear from KQ as promised I followed up with them and spoke with Carol who advised me that regretfully the bag that I gate checked in Dubai was somehow misrouted and was on its way to Japan, via Paris, and Moscow and she would send a message to have it sent back to Nairobi.

When I didn't hear from them as promised once again I called back numerous times over the next few days, and was told various things including the bag is now in Dubai. I don't know where it is or I send baggage claim a message to have them get in touch with you. Needless to say they never contacted me. When I finally heard from them, I was told that the bag was located in Dubai, and it would be on the next flight to Nairobi. The bag did not arrive the next day as promised and neither did I hear from KQ. When I called again, I was now told that I owed KQ for the gate checked bag, and needed to pay them $200 for them to send it to Nairobi. Needless to say, I'm totally beyond my limits in that KQ should be paying me for the stress, anxiety and inconvenience they have caused for mishandling my bag, and not the other way around based on KQ's Conditions of Carriage. Today I begin a lawsuit against KQ, citing violation of their Conditions of Carriage.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2013

I traveled to Kinshasa through set of connecting flights as KQ 550 FIH, KQ 311 NBO and PK 211 DXB and reached Kinshasa on January 2, 2013. On reaching here, I found that my luggage (tag number: **) has not reached and was not delivered to me. I logged the complaints in the office on Kinshasa airport and was promised delivery of luggage by next day. On the contrary, despite the delay of 7 days by 8 Jan 2013, the luggage has not been delivered to me. It has been informed that my luggage has been located in Nairobi as tag-less. So many reminders have been forwarded to Nairobi but no response has been received as yet. Point to register is that my important documents are in the bag and I had to produce the same to MONESCO; failing which I may have a big problem for myself. I requested the concerned officials to take notice of the issue as priority and provide me my luggage as soon as possible.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2012

I want to complain that I booked a Kenya Airways ticket on the 4th of Dec. 2012 and was delayed for 4 days which cost my job. They later dumped me in Nairobi where I am now for 25 days and I don't know when I am going to my country. All my documents are okay, but they refused to pay for my hotel for the periods I am here. Please help me out so that I can go. My ticket number is ** and the attachment is a letter to my boss that they delayed me.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2012

My family has been stuck in Amsterdam for 2 days. There is no information as to the delays and they are blaming school airport. Duh! The plane is yours, why would they be at fault? Also, lack of information means my family have not been able to make alternative plans and spent 2 days running back and forth to the airport. Pride of Africa, don't think so. This is extremely poor management!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2012

Kenya Airways’ Dakar office issued a ticket from Dakar to Nairobi for 4 people. They also issued 3 tickets from Nairobi to Brazzaville. This message aims to bring to your attention the unprofessional conduct by KQ staff in Jomo Kenyatta Airport that took place on Tuesday morning. The way they treated my family is unacceptable and I cannot leave things like that. I intend to bring this as far as possible so that KQ will never treat any woman with babies the way they treated my family. I am getting legal advice to identify what action will have the most effect on KQ and those who are responsible. My family was supposed to join me today; they are coming from Dakar. This message is in relation to the fact that KQ refused to embark my daughter in your flight on Nairobi/Brazzaville last August 7, although the KQ staff in Dakar (office and airport) confirmed that everything was okay.

KQ Dakar (office in town) issued 4 tickets to Dakar-Nairobi and 3 for Nairobi-Brazza. They told my wife that KQ Dakar Airport would issue the 4th one (Nairobi-Brazza) when checking. KQ Dakar Airport refused to issue the 4th ticket saying that Nairobi would do it. KQ Airport authorized the 4 people to embark knowing that only 3 of them would be authorized to embark from Nairobi. KQ Nairobi Airport refused to embark all of them and asked my wife to pay another ticket. They treated them as if they were trying to cheat. KQ Nairobi Airport staff left an entire family (including a baby) at the airport for almost 10 hours. The flight arrived in Nairobi around 4 am and they were allowed to go to the hotel around 2 pm. Can you imagine what my children went through?

It is only after their regional supervisor intervened that they started taking care of the situation. KQ Nairobi even lied to him that the family was at the hotel while they were still at the airport. I called Hilton and they were not there. They arrived there a long time after. An official legal complaint against KQ abuse and unprofessionalism, irresponsibility, and stupid behavior from your staff will arrive in due time. All possible actions (legal, press, report to internet forum) will be taken to ensure KQ’s staff never mistreat a woman with children. My hope is to contribute to making KQ a more family-friendly company.

Original review: May 11, 2012

I am a businessman. The concern is that I want to travel to Uganda and then Ghana. For that, I have arranged visa for both the countries along with my wife. So on 21, we took flight from Mumbai (India) to Nairobi and to Entebbe (Uganda). Our flight to Ghana was on the 25th, 5:30 by KQ-508 and KQ-417. So we reached at the airport by 3:30 and taken boarding pass to Nairobi, but not given pass to Accra. So when we were at the immigration, they did not allow us to go to Ghana (by saying that nobody can go to Ghana from Uganda other than the resident of Ghana).

If that's so, why did the airline not make arrangement for the stay in Uganda? We requested them to give us seats for Mumbai, but we're not given. Their behavior was not good. We did not get the chance to cancel our ticket to Ghana and local ticket to Accra to Sunyani (which is a direct loss) and we're not provided any assistance. Due to them, I lost about $10,000 and my meetings with my clients in abroad. If my claim will not be paid, I will take them to court.

Original review: April 29, 2012

I took a flight from Entebbe to Ghana on April 25, 2012 via KQ 508 and Naroibi to Accra via KQ 407. But when I reached Accra, I did not see my bag so I filed a complaint at the Lost & Found in Ghana--also at the Kenya Airways' office. Until now, I still have not received any information about my bag, where it should be on priority bases for a traveler other than country resident. My school, college, university, company agreements documents and clothes--along with currency of different nations are inside. My pen drives and other important things are also there. But their staff do not seem to care. They are not taking it seriously and I have not been informed regarding my bag's status to date.

Original review: April 23, 2012

I am writing to you to complain about a horrendous trip that I have undertaken with Kenya Airways. I have been traveling for 18 years and in all that time, this is the first time I have ever encountered the most unprofessional and incompetent staff. My husband, my two sons and I flew out to South Africa on March 30, 2012 with Air France and we were booked to fly back with Kenya Airways on April 15, 2012 at 00:40 to Nairobi arriving 05:45. Then from Nairobi to Amsterdam, arriving 15:55 and then from Amsterdam 17:15 to London arriving 17:35 on the 15th April 2012.

When we booked in at Johannesburg, we were all very impressed with how efficient the checking in was going. We then left to go and have a drink before boarding when one of your staff came to find us about 10 minutes before we were meant to board. We were then advised that the flight was delayed and had to go to the Kenya Airways desk. When we arrived at the Air Kenya desk, we were advised that the flight in fact was cancelled. The plane had been sent back due to a technical fault. We were offered to be put up in a hotel and then booked on the next available flight, which was the next day at 16:10. I advised the staff that my son was doing exams on the Monday morning (April 16th) and that we needed to get back to the UK for this.

We were in the hotel when we received a call to say that we were booked on the 13:20 flight. We were past from checking in desk to the Kenya Airways desk about 20 times. Eventually, we were advised we were in fact not on this flight as it was overbooked. We were then told that we would stay on the 16:10 flight. We then asked for a definite confirmation and we were given boarding passes for this flight. We did some research on the internet and discovered that the 16:10 flight would in fact not get us there on time to get our connecting flight to Amsterdam. While the Air Kenyan staff advised us that it would, eventually, someone contacted upstairs and was told that we would not make our connecting flight due to the time difference.

We sat around in the airport with no feedback or information to be told that the flight was due to take off at 19:55. We had to sit around with no feedback. Eventually, we were called to board the flight. I think that we must have eventually taken off about 22:00. We were not offered any assistance or help in trying to make alternative arrangement or telephone calls. When we arrived in Nairobi, there was one person on the information desk and he was not even sure what was happening. We were told to fill in forms, which we did to be told that we needed to fill in others as we would need a visa to enable us to get our luggage. We were promised hotel vouchers, but he knew nothing about this.

After about 10 people pushing in and been seen before us, there were about 15 of us that demanded to be seen to and only then did he attempt to try and help us. We were told we would have to pay for a Visa which we refused, as we would not be in the situation if Kenya Airways did not let us down. We then went to collect our luggage and some people were told that their luggage would be there, but it was not. We were then taken to our hotel, which according to him was 4 star (which it was in fact not!). This was about 5:00AM and we were all exhausted and very thirsty. We were advised that we would have water in our rooms. There were two bottles of water for three people. We were not offered a drink or anything in the airport and it was so hot and there was no air conditioning.

We were promised a room with three beds, but there were only two. Eventually, they brought an extra bed and we managed to get about 4 hours sleep. This was because the hotel was close to the main road and the noise from the morning traffic woke us up. We were advised that we would be able to make phone calls, bearing in mind my son was scheduled to do exams on April 16, 2012. I was told I would only be able to make one phone call when both my sons' schools needed to be told that they would not be there. I had by this time ran out of credit on my mobile phone. The hotel arranged to fetch us 20:00 to be taken to the airport as our flight was at 23:45, which did not take off on time. We eventually arrived in the UK at 7:10 on the 17th April 2012, two days later than our original flight.

The fact that Kenya Airways staff continually lied to us. If they only told the truth and listened to us, it would have made this experience a lot more bearable. When I was talking to the first lady who advised me that the flight in Johannesburg was cancelled and I was in fact not going on the 13:20, her words were "what do you want me to do?". We were not offered any support or help with i.e. telephone calls or water. My phone bill due to this fiasco is going to be extremely high. My husband had to book another flight as he had to cancel his meetings in London. He rearranged the meeting for the following week and was able to work from South Africa for an additional week.

I am self-employed and have lost two days' earnings. My son missed two exams and we are not sure if he will be able to retake them. This experience has ruined our holiday and would like all our costs reimbursed. The only flight my husband was able to get was with Swiss Air, business class. If you require any evidence of the costs, then we are happy to supply this to you. A holiday is meant to be relaxing. This has ruined our holiday and the whole experience has been a nightmare.

Original review: April 6, 2012

Coming from NBO to Rome with flight kq122 on April 2, 2012, my baggage was lost. I was told that Alitalia was the agent for KQ in Rome. Then I reported to them. They assured me that my baggage would be delivered to my physical address near Leghorn (Italy). Now, they called me on phone and they insisted I have to pay the courier from Pise airport to my address with the cost of 120 euro (about Ksh13.000,00). Are you aware of this procedure? I really think that, being your mistake, you are supposed to pay, not me. Please let me have an answer as soon as possible.

Original review: April 2, 2012

I, Mrs. Raziya **, am a gold card holder for the frequent flyer with Kenya Airways and travel several times in a year to Mumbai with my entire family (close to about 27 passengers in total in addition to various other friends). I hereby wish to lodge an official complaint against the Mumbai ground staff for lack of proper communication, being extremely rude, unethical, uncooperative and unhelpful and thereby causing us total harassment and inconveniencing us on our way back to Kenya almost all the time. I wish to notify you of the latest incidence. I had traveled to Mumbai on the 5th of March and was to return on the 18th of March, but then changed my booking to return on the March 21st, 2012. Whilst checking in at the Mumbai airport, I was harassed by your staff, which was totally unprofessional and unacceptable.

First of all, I was told that my booking was not in the system. They are not willing to re-check and the staff were not willing to assist or even listen to what the real issue was. My travel agent had sent me the print-out of the booking as below. Without checking properly, it is not right to give misleading information, especially on a serious matter such as a booking not being there. To make matters worse, the staff do not even listen or were ready to understand the actual problem of the customer.

I am entitled to 10 free kilos of weight which I was denied at the Mumbai airport, making my gold card membership invalid in this case since I was unable to enjoy this benefit of being a member. What is the point of holding this membership with such a treatment? This is not the first, second or third time I have been harassed at the Mumbai airport. I am a frequent flyer to this destination but not a single time have I had a smooth boarding time (to or fro) at the Mumbai Airport. Every time there is one problem or the other, causing me inconvenience and I board the flight quite stressed and unhappy. We have complained several times but no action has been taken by you as we encounter similar problems at this airport every time. This type of treatment by your ground staff is totally unethical and unacceptable. I kindly request you to look into this matter and revert back to me as soon as possible. If not, we (our whole group) shall be left with no option but to stop flying Kenya Airways and think of other viable options.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2012

When goods are labeled “fragile” it’s supposed to be taken with care. The stick was broken into two pieces. The stick is a collector’s item hand crafted to my specifications. The customer support that the Mumbia Kenya Airways gave was very rude. If they had given a satisfactory answer, I would not be contacting this office; but the rude response is making me very displeased.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2012

At outset regarding services of Kenya Airways, I would like to state in a simple word of becoming bad to worst. It is not the first time we are experiencing such a situation while travelling in Kenya Airways but this time it was too much in every respect starting from flight food to handling baggage. On 17th January 2012 my wife travelled in Kenya airways it was an horrible experience to her. First, the food offered in the flight was very poor quality and there was lot of pilferage of valuable items from her baggage by tearing bags.

It shows how the mentality of the staff of Kenya airways who are handling the baggage as the bags were came next day there was enough time to try to take out the things from bags. The act was done smartly by tearing one corner of the bag so that at first sight no one can see. Now I do not know how I can reclaim these losses. I have been travelling in this route from Kinshasa (DRC) to Mumbai since last fifteen years. Every time I am travelling, a new experience is standing in front of me. This time I lost dress materials and electronic item including one costly video Camera.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2012

All luggage were booked with Kenyan Airlines office from Mumbai to Kigali. Also, all of the above mentioned ID numbers of luggage, are booked under name of Maj **. In the meantime, per the IATA rules, the compensation for our stay and emergent sustenance are being processed. As done in the past with other passengers, I would request the airline to pay immediately the requisite amount for our sustenance.

For Kenyan Airways only, since most of the luggage are carrying costly items, confidential documents, and other security related documents ,we are perforce to lodge FIR soon. We would also place our displeasure for no intimation by any airline official till date, and would like to apprise all concerned agencies for this negligent behavior. We request intimate present status, and forward $80 per day for our sustenance, as per IATA rules.

Despite repeated reminder to Kenyan Airways, no action has been intimated to us. It would be suitable, since almost 10 days had elapsed, and not even, out of courtesy, the concerned individual had contacted us. Already, we are in the process of legally approaching the airline, for their slacked behavior, unprofessional competence, mental harassment, and loss of official documentation. Needless to mention the agony we are facing along with our family in our office, and our daily life, it appears to be better to go by other airlines, of repute, than Kenyan Airways. Such attitude and discourteous conduct will definitely impinge on the personnel from this part of the country, to opt for your airline. May I request for your explanation for not intimating us regularly, and not providing authorized monetary grant immediately on the loss of our baggage.

We were without food and water for 12 hours, due to your courtesy, and with borrowing money from our friends we are sustaining now. Have you ever thought of mental agony and daily difficulty one faces, when he loses all his check books, Apple iPad to work, leaving apart all costly items like camera, hard disk, personal file documentation, and clothing. You must understand we do not permanently live here. We are United Nations personnel and employees here, so we carry all items along with us, due to constraints of being deployed anywhere in the mission area. Sorry to state the present condition of ours due to your irresponsible behavior. Please do tell us what have you done for us till date. Even during our personal visit to Mr. **at Kigale airport of Kenyan Airways, there was no helping attitude, and no assistance was rendered to us.

Please tell us, under what circumstances the loss has happened, and why everybody from your airline confirmed loading of our baggage in Mumbai, Nairobi and Bujumbara. At all locations, I had personally confirmed thrice from booking/transfers office, during issue of the boarding pass from the boarding desk, and in the plane from the air hostess (you can check from Mr. ** and Ms. ** of your airlines), as to why all had replied that our baggage has been loaded all over the locations. It appears, there is some bad intentions, pertaining to certain sections of your airlines, and as of later, theft has been reported by many from our organization, while traveling with your airlines.

Request other addressees to help us in bringing justice to Kenyan Airways. We are open to advices from all, and ready to pay for assisting us in achieving our aim. Also, help us in publicizing this to all concerned, not only in our department, but in media also. I will be enclosing all related documents, and meticulously drafted events as they happened to all subsequently.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2012

I purchased a ticket from Kenya Airways from Mombasa to Nairobi on Dec 07, 2011, for a family of 4 (reservation No. KQ/8SF8Df). We were to board the plane at 11:10 AM, and arrive at 12:10 PM. We were at the airport at 9:15 AM. Just before 11:00 AM, there was an announcement that there will be a delay, and we will be leaving in an hour, due to technical problems, then it was moved to 2:00 PM. I got worried because we had a flight to catch at 4:40 PM to Dubai. At 2:00 PM, nothing happened. One of the Kenya Airways attendant was now busy talking to customers. I went to him, complaining that we have a flight to Dubai at 4:40 PM. He didn't seem to care much. I then went to speak to the manager, who advised me that we will be in Nairobi for our flight on time. I clearly asked what would happen if I missed my flight, whether they will be responsible? The answer was yes.

The plane departed at 3:00 PM, and arrived in Nairobi at 3:45 PM. We rushed to Emirates gate, unfortunately the gates were closed, and we were directed to go to Emirates office. We were then advised to take a hotel, until next day's flight. Next day, we were told that we must pay no show charges for US $394 per person. I tried to explain to the Emirates manager, hoping he will understand. It took almost the whole day, and my son was really sick. He advised me that there was nothing he could do for us, so I had to pay US $1,576 + US $100 for transportation, and $220 for hotel and food, for a total of US $1,896. I have all documentation to support my claim. I am kindly asking Kenya Airways to reimburse the total amount, before any further action is taken. I have a copied this claim with TLA law, and was advised to forward my claim, before they could take over the case. Please pay the amount, in order to avoid legal costs. If you do not respond to this email within 2 weeks, I will then assume that you are not cooperating, and will then have to take further actions.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2012

I had changed my flight scheduled to leave from Zanzibar- PW 715 leaving ZNZ at 1840 on 26th November 2011, operated by Precision Air the flight at Nairobi Airport at the counter of Kenya Airways at Nairobi Airport. When my wife and I arrived at the counter at ZNZ about 1600 hours, the clerk told me that our name was not on the list and despite our having a printout confirming the reservation issued by Kenya Airways, would not let us board the flight and then referred us to someone else from Precision Air. This fellow tells us that our names were not on the list as the clerk at Nairobi Airport had not entered the relevant information in the computer.

With 40 minutes for the flight to leave, he tells us that we shall have to buy new tickets at 500 dollars each. As we had to connect to our flight to London, we agreed to buy the tickets. Then he tells us that he has found a way that by paying a change fee of 50 dollars each ticket, he shall reissue the tickets; to which we agreed. He issued us the tickets and while we were waiting in the hall, he came to us and asked for 100 dollars. When I asked for the receipt, he said this money was for the hard work he had to do. I did not give him the money.

This fellow harassed me and my wife for over an hour and made us run from counter to the office and made us stand outside at the roadside and was making fake phone calls on the pretext to helping us out. He has caused us a lot of anxiety, and nervousness for no fault of us. I asked for the Airport manager and was told there is no one there. I am told these scams are very common at Zanzibar airport and that any complaint would fall on deaf ears. I am still making an effort to bring this to the knowledge of authorities to see if any action is being taken. No action would confirm my conviction that it is a corrupt airlines and it does not care about its passengers.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2011

I am the wife of retired staff Capt Terrence ** who retired after 45 years in aviation. I have just traveled from London's Heathrow airport to Nbo as there was no connecting flight to Malindi, so I was listed space available. KQ flight 103 daylight to Nbo all went well and I arrived on time. No Problem here. However, the next available flight to Myd was KQ 640 departing at 0735. The following day, I arrived at the airport with ample time fighting traffic all the way from Karen to the airport.

There were many people at the desk and I waited in turn and got to the desk only to be told that they would not accept me on the flight as it was now closed. Having been listed and waited patiently, only to be rudely told to go to the desk and get another flight. In all my time flying, this treatment by the duty staff has never happened. This lot couldn't be bothered when they saw it was my annual free ticket.

All the years my husband has been flying, he never left a staff person behind when there were seats available. This flight I know had seats available.This is not a good plan to act in this way to retired staff whoever they are. If the DG had come and did the same, would he have received the same treatment? Of course not! So please investigate this complaint for me and email the results.The staff are the problem. This is not good for passenger relations. Personnel department over to you.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2011

No Stars whatsoever.

I flew Kenya Airways from Mali to Johannesburg on the 16th Oct, 2011 arriving back the 30th Oct, only to have my luggage arrive three days late. When I arrived back in Bamako, my luggage was 2 days late. Also, I was phoned a half hour before I was due to leave for the airport, only to be told that I was not on the flight, as Kenya Air was forty people over-booked. I had a medical emergency and therefore it was extremely urgent that I get on the plane. I have phoned Amina from Kenya Air to complain about the situation. She arranged to have a meeting with me and then canceled at the last minute. I then emailed her and have had no reply. As I work full time teaching, my hours are extremely difficult.

Finally, I got hold of Amina today, as it is a holiday for me. I wanted her superior's email address, which she promised to sms to me, but an hour later, I am still waiting. This is not the first problems we have had with Kenya Air. Two years ago, we were first on the plane traveling, business class, only to be told there was no place for my cabin bag, which is extremely small. I had made seviettes for my son`s wedding, so I was not prepared to relinquish the bag.

Five years ago in December, my husband was traveling business class, only to be told there was no place for him, as he had to be in Johannesburg for my elder son's wedding. It was imperative for him to get on the plane. After he finally managed to convince Kenya Air of his dilemma, he arrived in Johannesburg with no luggage. There have been innumerable instances that we have had problems with Kenya Air and have been driven to the point of putting them in writing. I have numerous friends who have experienced the same problems as I.

I am so annoyed and would like to be reimbursed for my luggage being five days late in all.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2011

My name is Parekh **. I came from Lubumbashi (Katanga) to Mumbai (India) on 10/09/11. I got my baggage two days late and I didn't get home delivery, so I had to go to Baroda (Gujarat, India). And also the baggage was damaged.

So if I can get any compensation from your airways and also inform me whom I can contact on this matter. My contact no is **. I got reference from Mr. Kirti **. I am sending copies of the ticket and the boarding pass with this mail. Please find the attached copies. Hope you will take a quick action regard to my complaint.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2010

I was in the lavatory when Wangeci (the cabin crew) came at the door, knocking and opening the door. When I came out I asked her why she was doing that, she told me that she thought there was no one in the toilet, while when the door closes it shows clearly that the toilet is being used, and then she went inside the toilet and was checking if I had left something! Did she think that I was a terror to the plane because of my name? I have been traveling with different kind of Airways and never experienced such thing and all of the airways is European cabin crew no Africans and they have never followed me to the toilet or any place in the plane. With this experience I will never fly again with Kenya Airways.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2010

On 22 August 2010, a series of events soured my husband and my first experience of traveling with Kenya Airways on the way to our honeymoon destination. Following on from our wedding two days earlier, the two of us were due to fly from London Heathrow to Kilimanjaro by way of Nairobi, departing on the evening of August 22nd, 2010 (flight KQ101). We arrived at the airport a good three hours in advance of the scheduled 8pm departure, only to find a chaotic scene with several hundred passengers crowded in and around the area of the Kenya Airways check-in desks.

We were quickly approached by a female Kenya Airways representative who asked us where we were traveling to, and when we answered 'Nairobi', we were simply told, "Your flight has been delayed until 9am tomorrow. Stand over there," (pointing to an overly packed, cordoned-off area in front of where the Kenya Airways sales desk is situated). Not even the slightest hint of an apology or explanation for what amounted to a 13 hour delay! It was only when we got to the hotel that we were being put up in for the night, the Park Inn, that we found out through other passengers that we had got talking to the reason for the massive delay, "a technical fault." Said passengers had been handed an information sheet that we'd been neglected to be given at the airport, which also gave a run-down of the various re-scheduled internal transfers from Nairobi.

We were dismayed to find out that our transfer to Kilimanjaro on Precision Air flight PW724 was not scheduled to leave until 8am on the the morning of the 24th August, despite the re-scheduled flight to Nairobi being due to get in shortly after 7pm on the 23rd and the internal flight only being scheduled to take one hour. We couldn't understand why efforts couldn't be made to arrange a flight from Nairobi that evening, especially when a number of much longer internal flights to other destinations were running?

We had already resigned ourselves to the fact that we were going to lose the whole first day of our safari (we had been scheduled to be picked up by our guide at Kilimanjaro airport at approximately 9am on August 23rd, had everything run on time), but this further delay meant that in essence, we would be losing a large proportion of the second day too (of what was only a four day safari). We obviously woke up on the 23rd hoping for a more successful day than the one that had preceded it and after minor delays in both the morning pick-up taking us back to Heathrow and the take-off of flight KQ101 to Nairobi, the plane landed at 7:20pm local time. We headed straight to the Kenya Airways transfer desk to confirm our complimentary accommodation in Nairobi that night. It was at this point that we were informed that the 8am flight PW724 to Kilimanjaro next morning was overbooked and we had been bumped on to flight PW717, departing at 1:35pm.

Despite us explaining that we were meant to be on our honeymoon and that this delay meant we'd lose the entire second day of our safari (as opposed to just part of it), all three members of staff who we pleaded our case to were adamant that there was absolutely nothing they could do to help us and move us onto the 8am flight that we were originally scheduled to be on. All the while, we had kept our travel agent for the trip, Africa Travel Resource, updated with the various happenings so they could arrange things accordingly at the Kilimanjaro end.

At 9am on the morning of the 24th August, ahead of our pick-up back to the airport at 11am, I received a call from ATR who informed me that flight PW724 had not left at 8am that morning as scheduled, but instead been delayed to around 6pm that evening. That obviously meant that the on-time running of flight PW717 also became very doubtful, but when I rang Kenya Airways at Nairobi airport (and I tried several times between the time of 9am and 10:20am), the representative at the other end was each time unable to say whether the flight would be running on time, or indeed at all.

Faced with the completely unacceptable situation of potentially losing part or all of the third day of our safari (which was only four days, remember?), and being in the dark as to the status of our flight, we had no option but to arrange alternative transport to Kilimanjaro ourselves. At a cost of $20, we arranged for a taxi to Wilson airport, the smaller, internal flight airport in Nairobi, where we had reserved at short notice two seats on the 12:30pm Safari Link flight to Kilimanjaro at a cost of $398 (I have the receipt for this) obviously this combined $418 was an unforeseen cost, but we believed it was the only option to ensure we did not waste any further part of our honeymoon being stuck in the airport/at an airport hotel.

In addition, it meant that we would not be losing out on staying in the planned accommodation for our second night (Crater Forest Camp, near to the Ngorogoro Crater), for which we had already paid $300, or on missing out on further services and accommodation the following day (a further $1,250 for up front). We had already wasted over $330 in accommodation and transport costs that we had not used on what was meant to be the first day of our safari and $400 on transport and park fees on 'day 2'.

This means that in total we lost $730's worth of our holiday, and had to spend a further $418 to ensure we lost no more. Now, finally, our honeymoon could begin and we enjoyed our remaining two full days safari before flying to Zanzibar, where we stayed for a further 10 days. However, even then the drama wasn't over! On our return journey on September 6th, upon checking in at Zanzibar for the 6:20pm flight (PW715), it transpired that neither my wife or I were booked onto the either the internal flight, or the 11:45pm flight (KQ102) back to London!

There followed a stressful and prolonged period at Zanzibar airport where we weren't sure what was going on or indeed if we were going to be able to get onto the flight. In the end, we did manage to get onto the plane by the skin of our teeth, having been rushed through the security checks. Needless to say we were the last passengers to board the plane! As I'm sure you'd agree, from start to finish, this was a shambolic series of events which I don't believe was handled in a satisfactory way at all stages, there was no one from Kenya Airways who was willing or able to be held accountable and offer anything but the absolute minimum recompense.

Our complaint is not only related to the money wasted on accommodation and safari fees whilst we were stranded in and around the various airports. However, there is an even bigger, intangible loss to us as as a result missing a large proportion of our once in a lifetime honeymoon. If there's anyone that could offer advice or help, we'd love to hear from you. In many of these types of situations people are too willing to give up on their complaints (there were a lot of other honeymooners on the same flight), but I feel very strongly about getting a satisfactory response.

Original review: July 4, 2010

Nairobi, departure was again delayed by more than 1 hour because of which, we missed (we, 7 of us) traveled from Lusaka- Zambia to Delhi on 27th June, 2010. Our travel plans were Lusaka-Nairobi by Kenyan Airways KQ-0724, Nairobi-Mumbai by Kenyan Airways KQ-0202, and Mumbai-Delhi by Jetlite S2-106. The Kenyan Airways departure from Lusaka was delayed by 2 hours and then at our Mumbai-Delhi connection and had to pay and get reservations for another Jetlite flight. Loosing on both time and money besides the mental stress and physical exhaustion of the entire journey.

Original review: June 3, 2010

I would like your help with a ticket refund which I feel and believe is due to me. I purchased an air ticket for a KQ flight on Wednesday, February 2nd, 2010 in Djibouti where I'm currently working. My brother, on the other hand, erroneously purchased a ticket online for me for the same travel on the same flight. I was flying from Djibouti to Kenya and back on Feb 10-15, 2010. His ticket cost me $769.43. I went ahead and flew with the ticket I had and lodged a complaint for a refund from KQ for the one my brother had purchased on my behalf.

A certain Ms. ** at the KQ Customer Service Line confirmed the refund will be processed. Up to this day (June 3, 2010), I have not received anything from KQ. My bank (Wachovia Bank a.k.a. Wells Fargo Bank, Texas USA) gave me provisional credit, pending a refund by KQ to my account (via a debit card) which my brother used for that purchase. But they have since reversed the credit as a result of no action by KQ. I have got copies of the reservations and tickets for the two (2) tickets showing the date of travel to be the same, on the same fight for the same person.

I have tried several times (8 times to be precise) to contact KQ about this refund with no success. Please help me get my refund. I really appreciate your help and look forward to hearing something back.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2009

Kenya Airways Flight Bangkok, Thailand return to Nairobi, Kenya was cancelled after check in Bangkok. No explanation, no information and no one had a clue about what was happening at check counters. Our questions were answered with frail answers. They finally advise that the aircraft from Nairobi did not depart due to a technical problem. But they would fly us the following day and provide accomodatio in a 2 star hotel. I refused as I do not stay in any less than 4 star but they paid for teh difference and also the fares of luxury taxi services.

The following day, the flight was scheduled to go straight to NBO but was changed to stop over at Addis for 4 hours!
Original review: Aug. 17, 2009

I am working in Kinshasa (Democratic Republic of Congo). Last Friday, 14.08.09, I have booked flights through Kenyan Airways from Kinshasa to Nairobi, from Nairobi to Mumbai and from Mumbai to Chennai. On Friday, check-in and everything have been finished, but the flight has not come. After three hours, they said the flight has been cancelled. I returned and the came back the next day (it was Saturday). On that day also they said the flight was cancelled due to a strike going on in Kenyan Airways. Sunday and Monday also and it was the same thing. Finally, they confirmed on Tuesday. I told them I have already lost 4 days and so they have to compensate me. They told me to talk to the manager, but the manager was not available. Finally, after several attempts, they gave the manager’s mobile number. The mobile was switched off every time we try to get the number. Now, what I can do for this?

Original review: July 31, 2009

I bought a multi city ticket Nairobi-Sweden-Lusaka-Abidjan-Norway. I bought it from the KQ office in Nairobi and checked to make sure that the usual rules applied, that is, if I paid a fee, I could change the return date. When I got to Abidjan, I therefore went to the national KQ office and asked to change the date of my onward flight. This was one month before said flight. They said this was difficult since it was not them at the Abidjan office who had sold the ticket. They suggested I just stayed with the original ticket. I insisted they contacted Nairobi and get whatever info they needed to change it. They said they would, and would get back to me, but never did. This went on for about a week. Then they told me, without checking their computers, that there was no space on upcoming flights for another two months. I said okay, and then I am willing to pay for a class upgrade. Again, they would have to contact their main office and made this seem difficult.

In the end, I called their Nairobi office myself, and they easily changed the dates for me, cancelled my old booking, and put me on the flight I needed. Now all I needed to do was go to the local Abidjan office and pay the fees for the change, so I could get my ticket. When I got there, they looked at the screen and said they could not issue the ticket because it said Air France and not KLM on the Abidjan-Paris stretch (it seems they didn't know it was now one and the same company and that KLM do not fly that stretch). Even though I furnished them with three phone numbers for the guy who made the booking, they made it seem impossible to call him. In the end, I called him myself. The Abidjan lady then scolded him because it was not correct, and passed the phone to me, where he told me I had lost my old booking and could not be issued my new one. The Abidjan staff then told me there was no seat for another two months. Although I had paid for the ticket, I ended up having to buy a totally new one with another airline, expensive since it was last minute.

Kenya Airways Company Information