3.61/5

295 Iberia Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 9, 2019

Hello. I am going to tell you about some traumatic experiences I have had with this airline. We, (12 people) had a flight from JFK to Madrid which was around 7 hours. The first flight was fine but after that, it was like we came to chaos. We had to get from Madrid to Croatia. After we landed in Madrid we went to customer services to get our boarding pass confirmed. She crossed out our original gate and wrote in a new one with a "?" at the end. We asked her why she did that, and she gave no response. So all 12 of us 6 parents and 6 kids had a good hour left to spare so we ventured separately. The kids got bored so we went to the gate the parents were still off somewhere. The person at the desk asked "Zagreb?" and we nodded yes.

The man told us to board a bus, and we told him our parents aren't here. He said another bus was coming to get them. We got on the bus and the ride was 15 minutes long. When we got off the bus, we confirmed that another bus was coming to get them. This time they said no. There was a minor with us and legally anyone under the age of 17 who is flying alone on an international flight may be required to produce a signed letter of consent from a parent or responsible adult. The man who brought us there said: "it's okay. It's fine". The other kids were trying to contact the parents saying that we can board or get off. However, our luggage was not going to come back to Madrid and in total, we had 12 bags.

Overall we held up the plane by 30 minutes, which was good enough time to get a bus to take them here. And believe it or not, the gate that was originally written on our boarding pass was the gate we ended up at. So 5 kids and 1 minor had to go to Croatia by themselves. The parents, on the other hand, were left stranded in Madrid and another flight to Croatia wasn't for 3 days. So all in all the parents had spent $6000 on a flight to Frankfurt, then to Budapest, finally, a taxi to Zagreb. THiS WAS INSANE. 100% DO NOT RECOMMEND.

Original review: July 7, 2019

They lost all my luggage, which happens I suppose. But it's irreplaceable and expensive so upsetting. But the fun begins when you try to get help. They have an automated help system which understands nothing. If you do get a person, they will give you a nonexisting number. None of the numbers on the website exist either. The automated form return "Error. Please try again later". Essentially if you want to talk to them forget about it. Makes Ryanair seem user-friendly.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 3, 2019

On July 1 2019 I was scheduled for a flight to leave out of Accra at 1040pm. I arrived at the check in at 920 PM. I was standing in line waiting patiently to be check in while the staff was helping other customers. Before I got to the line I was never acknowledged. To the left of me two staff members talking and the other staff members helping other customers. As I finally got to be next I was told it was too late to check in and I said, "How. I standing here waiting patiently to be seen." Then I was told if I pay 600 cedis they would open it up. I told the man, "I'm not paying anything to you. Are you crazy. I was standing here waiting and now I can't get on my flight which is not my fault." The airport in Accra is crooked. Want you pay your way out of everything for their needs.

I tried getting help at the ticket window to get me on my flight I was told they couldn't help me. I would have to called Iberia. Called Iberia. Was on hold for two hours just to hear I was a no show on my flight. I was on the phone holding for two hours straight. I'm stuck with no extra money to book another flight because they refuse to make arrangements and help me get back to the USA. Lesson learned for me most definitely. I'm praying my family come together with the ticket money to get me back home.

Original review: June 30, 2019

First and last time we flight with Iberia, after a missed connection on our Madrid-MIA in Tenerife North due to delays, we were given the run-around to be provided next day accommodations as the only available option. We got rejected three times by hotel buses on Madrid-Barajas passenger pick-up point claiming that our accommodation slip was not valid by Iberia even though it was given by Iberia’s counter representatives. We returned the same three times only to finally given a fourth valid slip after a three hour wait time with a 21 month old baby, unacceptable.

Then, on the next day replacement flight our three purchased seats were not considered as originally assigned on the missed connecting flight. Later, on our return MIA-Madrid, we were given the wrong seats, not the ones we selected months ago when the tickets were purchased. Then on our return flight Madrid-Tenerife South, our baby stroller got irreversible damage. We are a family of three now without a baby stroller due to handling negligence by the Iberia crew. The stroller, brand Cybex and model Mios, was left at the plane's gate H68 as recommended by the air crew in Madrid-Barajas upon boarding. The stroller had a protective cover that did not sustain the maltreatment and handling negligence given by the Iberia crew. The stroller have signs that it was dragged for long distances over rough surfaces or pavement instead of being carried even though it only weights 8.70 kilograms.

Also, just to make matters worst, during the same flight, we were denied of a baby seat belt extension and a baby life-safe vest even though our daughter is 21 months old. The flight attendant claimed that our daughter ticket did not say "baby" or "infant" for the reason why, what kind of responsibility is that? Regardless, now we are without a properly functioning stroller here in Tenerife due to Iberia crew mishandling of our stroller. It is not safe to use by our daughter due to the sustained damage. We have used many other airlines in the past but never received such bad experiences. All families out there, please, stay well away from Iberia’s negligence, save yourself time, headaches and frustrating experiences and most importantly, consider the well-being on your children.

Original review: June 25, 2019

Back in January I purchased 6 tickets to fly NYC - Madrid, received confirmation e-mail, purchased extra baggage but could not get seat assignments. No big deal. We had 6 months until our travel date. Fast forward to 1 week before takeoff, tried to log in and get seat assignments, website tells me to call Iberia CS. After waiting for over 1 hr on hold and then providing booking number to CS he proceeds to tell me that my reservation was cancelled. I immediate looked at my CC app and did not see the credit. CS member tells me that he’s starting an investigation. I told him I need to fly next week, he suggested purchasing new tickets at current price $16,000 for 6 tickets. I hung up and called Delta booking new flights a week out for $7,000. Bottom line and lesson learned. Never book cheap flights without seat assignments, this airline will cancel your reservation if there is a demand for seats. Iberia you will never see a $ from me or my family EVER!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iberia?

Original review: June 12, 2019

I booked an economy ticket online. I received a receipt with the restrictions of basic economy (no pre-seat assignment). I immediately called the customer service and they would not refund the ticket, despite my calling within minutes of paying. Typically airlines give you 24 hours. I spoke with an agent and a supervisor and they would do nothing to help me. DON'T FLY IBERIA!!

Original review: May 28, 2019

On boarding a flight from Palma Mallorca to Madrid and onto Dublin, the air steward took my duty free shopping bag worth about €200 as she told me I was sitting at an emergency seat. I asked for the back on arriving in Madrid, on a one hour stop-over. Was told I would get it back in Dublin. In Dublin told I should have got it in Madrid. Endless emails and phone calls to Iberia yielded no satisfaction. The website and telephone staff, say "There is nothing we can do." Maybe I should try "lost and found" in Madrid - like I'm passing there every day. Last time I will use them. Was back in Palma a few weeks later and again advised to "visit" lost and found in Madrid. Iberia charged me over €600 for a one way flight - that two weeks later cost me less than €100 (different airline) - even though it was closer to the "season". Date of travel: March 2019.

Original review: May 22, 2019

WORST AIRLINE EVER!! They literally have NO customer support in US. They give one customer number but you call and it hangs up after saying it is connecting to a operator. They give twitter and facebook accounts for support with no answer. They can be cheaper but you must know that buying ticket from them is a gamble that you will lose.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I purchased a ticket for my 82 yr old parent from TLV to Miami then NY. 2 months after my mom was diagnosed with dementia and she can't fly, my dad is the sole caretaker for her and he can't fly either. I have been feuding with this airline for the past 3 month for a refund. All they agree to give us back is $267 per ticket when we paid over $1100 per ticket. We did send them ALL the Dr. notes and they still don't agree, this is the worst airline I have ever had to deal with. Not to mention that to get a supervisor at one point I waited 4 hrs. This is ridiculous. DO NOT FLY IBERIA.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Flight from Madrid to Geneva. Iberia is now overbooking all their flights apparently instead of adding more flights to their routes. They denied us entry to our flight, a family of four with a newborn. We had to be at their mercy for the next flight that had spots available. Their excuse to deny us the flight was that we were the last to check in. At gate, at least 8 more people were left stranded. So beware, if you are flying with Iberia, check in at least 24 hours before your flight or you will end up playing musical chairs with them.

Original review: March 10, 2019

Hello there, I have encountered the worst experience in my life with Iberia. On Thursday I have a flight from Boston to Madrid at 530 pm for family emergency event. On Thursday I have to leave early my job and drove to the Logan Airport. The traffic was terrible. I made it at 410 pm which was 1 hours 20 minutes before my departure. I ran to the the gate to check my suitcase. Nobody was in the gate. I asked the next by airline that was next to it. They told they already closed. It was too late. Nobody could help me. So I decided to call Iberia customer service around 445 pm. They could do nothing on their end. Completely useless. The next flight they could reschedule is March 11th (4 days later).

In addition, I have to pay penalty and price difference and $25 (customer fees) total of $850 (my original tickets was $1050). In the end, I asked them if they could put another flight with different airlines. The response was none "we don't do that". They couldn't even reimburse for my return ticket schedule for March 14th (today is 10 March, 2019). This is the worst customer service I have seen in my entire life. There is no help for small incident such us cancel or reschedule itinerary. If something happened you are on your own. I would never flight or either recommend anyone to use Iberia. Thanks.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I paid 180£ for a ticket from the 1st Jan to come back on the 7th Jan without a checked bag because it would have been more expensive and I didn't have Christmas holidays at work. After quitting my job I called them to see if they could change the flight to fly on the 24th December and they told me it would be an extra cost of 300£. I found a ticket with Brussels Airlines (WITH A CHECKED BAG INCLUDED) for less than 100£ so I didn't fly with Iberia. I called them on the 1st Jan to let them know so they wouldn't cancel my return ticket and they sent me an email confirming the flight back wasn't canceled.

After a couple of hours I got another email saying my flight was canceled. I spent ONE FULL WEEK calling Iberia without being able to speak to the same representative to claim the return ticket since I paid for it. After being told they were going to put a request (which never happened) and try to fix this situation (which never happened) I had to take another flight and pay more so I could come back to work because it is their policy to cancel flights if you don't take the first one. HOW IS THIS EVEN ALLOWED??? If I pay for it, I take it or not, it is MY ticket. INEXCUSABLE.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Five months before our scheduled departure, my husband had a terrible accident and we had to cancel our trip. We followed every rule to submit a claim to get a refund, all in a timely manner, and had purchased insurance, but there were no responses to our claim. Customer service was totally confusing - literally no help. We tried over and over and never received any help. Responses involved passing the buck till you get nowhere. We finally had to give up and just consider it a total loss. I definitely would never fly Iberia again, and would not recommend this miserable experience to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I had the misfortune of purchasing airline tickets on Iberia for myself and my family earlier in 2018 for a flight from Miami to Spain. I made an additional mistake of purchasing the tickets thru Travelocity. Other than for information purposes only, it makes no sense to purchase airline tickets or hotel reservations thru Travelocity instead of going directly to the airline or hotel. Many airlines or hotels will not deal with you directly if you book with Travelocity. So if you have a problem with your itinerary, it becomes a circus act trying to coordinate between both the airlines and the booking site. Well, I needed emergency medical treatment for one month which started the week before my flight on Iberia for July 27th.

I contacted Iberia and Travelocity to allow me to use my tickets at a later date without having to pay a penalty fee. I had paid good money for these tickets, and was not asking for anything more than what I had paid for. After several months of back and forth, their answer was no! A week ago I called Iberia Airlines directly and asked to speak to a supervisor: the supervisor's response was that she did not want to speak with me. I asked for her name and to speak to another supervisor, but I was refused. I was not being rude. I don't think this would have happened with an American airline company. It seems to me that I will only use American airline companies in the future, to avoid this indirect discrimination from foreign airlines such as Iberia. I will also avoid booking flights on sites such as Travelocity.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I have booked a round trip with Iberia from NYC to Paris and back. I cannot honor my flight out (have to travel earlier to Europe for family reasons). Now Iberia tells me that they will cancel my flight back, if I do not show up for the outbound trip. I have paid (through Expedia) both ways. What can I do to use my flight back?

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I arrived in Madrid, Spain from LAX and unfortunately left my cell phone (Samsung Note 8) inside the flap in front of my seat. I know because I was charging the phone while flying. I gathered my items to leave the plane but forgot to get my cell phone. I went to lost/found to explain my situation immediately upon arrival to airport at Madrid but no sympathy, no running or calling by walkie talkie or other of communication to try to go back to aircraft to retrieve my phone. Instead I waited 4 hours and said nothing was found. I was the last passenger to leave and my friend was my witness, I know the phone was left there and the only people who had access was the cleaning crew. My phone was stolen and never returned.

How can anyone trust this airline to never return personal items left on the aircraft? After so many customer service desks and claims...I ended up filing a police report so a thorough investigation could be made. Imagine this was at the beginning of my vacation. So much for that right? I will never use this airline again! Terrible service!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

We were sold exit row seats and we did not get the seats we paid for. I tried submitting a complaint and they closed it and would not refund my money. The flight crew had no control over the passengers. It is an unsafe airline and violates FAA rules.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

We had a delayed luggage issue at Miami. We arrived on Friday 12 October and didn't got our luggage delivered to the hotel until Sunday 14th October. We had to buy essentials ie. clothes totaling 130 dollars. We were offered £88 which we've declined. We also asked for compensation as our weekend in Miami was wasted. Has anyone had the same problem and what did you get for compensation. I need some advice as to where we go from here.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I was routed to the airline to book after a Skyscanner search turned up the Iberia flights from CVG to Jordan and back from Morocco with overnight layover in Madrid for return flight. Not exactly a bargain fare, but better than alternatives on other airlines. However, another airline would have been cheaper had the seat selection fees been added onto the fare! So the flights were sold to me under false pretenses when comparing my options! Also, in choosing which economy fare to book, I chose regular vs basic economy for the outflight, as the comparison of the two did say seat selection would be extra for basic economy (that was the only advantage) and the price difference seemed worth it since seat selection was "up to $40" (though that was implied to be FOR THE ENTIRE FLIGHT EACH WAY, NOT PER LEG OF THE 3-LEGGED TRIP!).

I did choose basic economy for the return trip as the price difference was greater, so I was willing to pay an extra $40 for each ticket for seat selection. Much to my surprise, in managing my booking, a fee of $18-$37 was being charged for EACH LEG of the trip, on both the outgoing and incoming flights, for regular seats (exit rows are even higher)! The only seats I was able to reserve for free are for the short ORD-CVG flight on AA, but NOT the AA flight out, from CVG-MIA. Seat selection is not even available at a price for that flight. I called Iberia to complain, in hopes they would assign seats for me. When the agent tried to do that for the MIA-MAD flight, the charge was $37 and she apparently couldn't waive the charge though she admitted I had booked an economy flight, not basic economy, and that the only difference between the two is (supposedly) seat selection, which I was being denied!

I asked for a supervisor to call me back last night, which of course never happened, I have now been on hold with them for 20 minutes, no msgs stating how long the hold time is, or anything. Now, in going to Manage My Booking, I see that the entire trip, all 3 legs, outgoing (the one I paid more for, for Economy rather than Basic Economy) now mysteriously says "seat selection unavailable"!! That happened since last night, so now there isn't even an option to pay for them! For the return trip (which I'd booked at Basic Economy, so DID expect to pay for seat selection, but only up to $40 for the entire trip, not 3 separate fees--well, for some reason the short AA flight was reservable for no fee, so it is the 2 Iberia flights now--of up to $37 each!!).

There seems to be no resolution to my complaint, I would have booked the Basic Economy flights the entire way, rather than a higher fare that was described as including seat selection, had I known. Or chosen a different airline, entirely, at a somewhat higher fare!! Presenting these fares side by side in search engines for comparison with higher fares that include seat selection, without an upfront disclosure, is highly deceptive! Does anyone here have any suggestions for possible recourse?

And I am STILL on hold, wondering now whether my number has been coded to never get a response! It is just dead silence, no music, no "continue to hold" or "leave number for callback" messages, NOTHING! I believe my booking, which was confirmed (before I knew about these outrageous extra fees) is nonrefundable, or at least with heavy penalty for refunds + I have already booked an Airbnb in Madrid for the overnight layover there.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Four of us flew from South Africa-Madrid-Barcelona-Madrid-South Africa. The 10 hour flight to and from Madrid was atrocious to say the least. We paid R3,518.00 extra to book our seats! When we arrived at OR Tambo Airport we were given different seats. On our return flights, we were not even seated together! After proving that we had in fact paid extra to be pre-seated, they found us seats in the middle aisle together. These seats were really cramped - absolutely no leg room whatsoever. The cabin crew are extremely rude and unaccommodating. The food on Iberia is dismal and their vegetarian meal is not fit for human consumption! They offer you one refreshment plus tea/coffee per meal on a 10 hour flight! Some advice - pay a little more and fly with a decent airline.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Domestic flight Madrid to Alicante was cancelled at the departure gate due to 'technical difficulties'. Ground staff were rude and when asked a question (in English) would say 'yes, I'm busy now' and run off! No alternative flight offered that or any other day so a bus was put on, yes a bus to replace a flight - almost 6 hours instead of the 45 or so minutes flying time.

On a European flight 4 days later, Madrid to London Heathrow, which was late, I asked the cabin staff if my messenger bag was okay under the seat across the aisle as I had no seat in front of me, he said no so I went to retrieve it and put it in the overhead lockers but as I did he closed them all in front of me. I and those sat around me looked quizzical but we thought we'd got it wrong so I put the bag back under the seat. When he came back later there was quite a performance at his insistence the bag be placed overhead! I went onto their website this morning to lodge a cancelled flight compensation request but when you pull up the page in English it switches from complaint to compliment! This airline is best avoided.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I had to cancel a trip because I suddenly had a serious illness - a highly contagious virus. We had booked our trip to Spain on Iberia and a return trip on Air Portugal. Air Portugal was very reasonable. We spoke with customer service, they told us where to write, and we sent a letter from the infectious disease doctor and they gave us a voucher for travel within one year. By contrast, we spent hours on the phone with Iberia - mostly on hold, but then with the most unhelpful and rude staff I have ever encountered. After spending 30 minutes on hold, we were told to call someone else. Another 30 minutes and they gave us an address to write to. That was the wrong address. We were given a number to call. Another address.

After an incredible runaround, they said they will only give a voucher if you are hospitalized. Think about that. They would prefer that someone with a highly contagious disease sit in the seat next to you. Here is a quick challenge for you - Go on the Iberia website and try to figure out how to contact Iberia's customer service. You can't and that is by design. As long as I live I would never, ever, ever fly Iberia. They are horrible.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

As a daughter of immigrants and as an immigrant myself now, I have been flying almost all my life. This is my first time with Iberia and I am actually sad to say this is by far the worse experience. The plane is actually really nice, the food was decent but the staff is absolutely awful. I have never felt mistreated by any airline up until today. It is very upsetting how rude and mean the staff was at the airport (Madrid) and also in the plane. Starting by staff not wanting to speak in English (my flight was to Miami, USA), getting pulled aside twice during the boarding process by the same people and without any explanation regarding the matter, getting pushed up the plane by staff with a food cart without saying a word to me. I am so disappointed and feel so upset that I am actually writing this review from the plane (that has free wifi, how awesome! Not being sarcastic btw) with my hands full of soap since the water in the bathroom doesn’t work.

Please talk to your staff. I have traveled in worse planes, with less space and less comfortable but I would 100% go back to that due to their customer service being so much better. Also, very poor organization to the point where my boarding pass did not have the same flight number or time. I only got to the right terminal and gate because there was only one flight going to Miami. Terrible! I am not one to write reviews but for the first time I could not just keep it to myself. And I am sorry, but I can definitely not recommend this airline to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I purchased premium economy seating due to being 6’7”. When I checked to see about the seats that I had chosen, it didn’t have any assigned. I called to find out and even though I had paid for “premium economy”, that class was not even offered. They chose nothing to do and did not refund my money.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

My family and I flew with Iberia in July on a connecting flight from Catania airport to Madrid Spain. Our flight was missed due to Iberia not having enough buses to transport the passengers to the actual aircraft. My entire family lost a days work due to this and Iberia will NOT compensate us as stated on their website.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Only positive thing I can say about this airline is that both of my flights and connect was on time, even though terminal locations were all off (did not land where it stated it will go in to and from Europe). Other than that, where do I start?! THE WORST customer service EVER, incredibly rude, illiterate, possibly drugged up flight attendants will straight up run into you with hot pot of coffee, kick you with an elbow, ignore you etc. I had one pour coffee and remove tray fast enough to spill it and not even look back. Unheard of! The scariest thing was safety issue, I literally had to ask flight attendant to lock the overhead luggage area because we were taking off, her response was, "Oh you want me to close it?" with a bad attitude.

No control over their rowdy passengers, they walk up and down plane whole time, gather all over the plane and hang over other passengers trying to get some rest, leaning over their seats, speak loud for hours, grabbing on to anything and everything around them, no respect for people, it's absolutely savage! Not ONE attendant in sight while this is going on. Turbulence came, it was pretty rough, seat belt sign never come on, not one passenger stopped talking or went to their seat, stuff was flying everywhere. Extremely loud passengers, no one checking them, no service, you ask for assistance, no answer, attendants are very aggressive if you go in the back and ask for any type of help with this! Plane is also dirty, captain doesn't speak a word of English even when he's speaking it, announcements were low and no one could understand what he was saying or try to say.

Also they will advertise wrong terminal (on your boarding pass as well as online) so be VERY careful to triple check when you land from USA to Madrid cuz info desk there WILL be empty and you might get stuck... There needs to be an undercover federal agent on one of these flights, I do not even understand how USA does business with them??? Seriously dangerous and sloppy ** airline, no diligence, serious danger. Do NOT even consider them!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Hello! Your subsidiary company VUELING told me to send the official request about my lost passport and phone on board Ibiza-Barcelona which was 13.08.2018. 4 days left, and I'm still have no answer about my things!!! 4 days I'm still waiting the response, I tried to сall but still don't have any answer from Vueling and Iberia!!! Provide me where can I get back my passport and phone pls!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

If given the opportunity I would award Iberia Airlines ZERO stars for their service and performance. I took advantage of their 9,000 Avios points promotion in June 2018. It seems that after Iberia released this promotion, they realized they had made a mistake and are now holding the Avios points I paid for hostage claiming they need to "verify" my identification and booking documentation. They have released a third of my points at this time, but not the remainder, which tells me this is a just a game they are playing. If a third of my points were able to be verified and released, all of my points should be released. I adhered to the guidelines of the purchasing rules for the promotion and the company has received payment for my tickets purchased, so it seems to me that Iberia is stealing from me by withholding my Avios points.

I have tried to contact customer service by e-mail and phone. When calling, either the calls are not connected, or they are disconnected far more often than actually being able to complete a call with a customer service representative. The actual representatives have ZERO personality or compassion and speak as if they are preprogrammed robots. They also apparently do not have supervisors with which to speak... quite interesting. When e-mailing, which is recommended as the only way to remedy the situation when calling, the response time lapses for days and is also lacking any form of human undertone. Each e-mail response appears computer generated, impersonal and does not address the issue mentioned in my original e-mail. I have truly never experienced such dissatisfaction when dealing with a company. It amazes me that they are still in business.

Original review: July 15, 2018

I made reservations for a flight from LAX to Madrid on AA. The itinerary told me to contact Iberia Airlines for seat assignments which I did. I wanted to make sure I was in the front of the plane. Now today looking at my online itinerary I am in the last seat on the plane. I called and paid for a seat in the front of the plane. I tried to file a complaint to Iberia online but was not able to because I didn't have an Iberia Locator number. When I called back to find out how I could file a complaint I was told I couldn't do it online because I made the reservations through AA. I was then told my original seat was given away because I never paid for it. I was never told it was a chargeable seat or asked for my credit card number, I would have been willing to pay. The customer service person kept telling me I had recourse because reservations were made through AA even though Iberia had given me my original seat assignments.

Original review: July 11, 2018

It is not possible to file a claim. The site to file claims https://www.iberia.com/us/customer-relations/ does not work. I tried many times to enter my claim (each time it takes long time to do that) and there is always a message 'Erroneous data'.

Iberia Company Information